Date   

Re: Using combo boxes in Chrome.

Steve Nutt
 

Hi,

 

If you want to get round it for the moment though, just download Chrome Canary, where it is fixed.

 

All the best


Steve

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cohn, Jonathan
Sent: 08 April 2018 13:46
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Using combo boxes in Chrome.

 

I have heard some rumblings on a web design list that Chrome v65 is not properly relaying some ARIA information to screen readers. This is a  issue that will be corrected in the next version of Chrome and is not a problem in the previous version..


Re: Urgently need help about Word 2010

Arlene
 

Prem: Arlene here! Do you have another back up Screan Reader if you want to do the work you are doing using MS word 2010?  If you do try that. What version of it is the other person using?  Although it should not make a difference.  I wonder if you have to upgrade to the latest version of MS Word?  Just a thought.

On Sun, Apr 8, 2018 at 11:00 AM, <prem.translator@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]
[Reason: Edit to add some question. ]

I’m doing a research, after I sent a draft to my advisor, my advisor send me back the original with the following style of editor revision: insertion, Deletion, property formatted, and comment. I use Word 2010 and I have the following question.

How can I deal with the document? Can I edit the one I got from my advisor or I need to create the new one? For example, I move to “deletion” together with the think that NVDA read it to me that it is deleted. How can I do to edit the document following my advisor’s comment? I also don’t know how to deal with the other styles.

Also the other question: What will happen if I edit in the original? Will NVDA still say the revision style from my advisor after editing it?

And the last question for now: How can I do four kinds of revision like this in the future when I have to proofread any document?

 

Please help me,

Thank you,

Prem.



Urgently need help about Word 2010

prem.translator@...
 
Edited

I’m doing a research, after I sent a draft to my advisor, my advisor send me back the original with the following style of editor revision: insertion, Deletion, property formatted, and comment. I use Word 2010 and I have the following question.

How can I deal with the document? Can I edit the one I got from my advisor or I need to create the new one? For example, I move to “deletion” together with the think that NVDA read it to me that it is deleted. How can I do to edit the document following my advisor’s comment? I also don’t know how to deal with the other styles.

Also the other question: What will happen if I edit in the original? Will NVDA still say the revision style from my advisor after editing it?

And the last question for now: How can I do four kinds of revision like this in the future when I have to proofread any document?

 

Please help me,

Thank you,

Prem.


Re: Firefox ad blocker and nvda and filehippo

Chris
 

Filehippo make a big song and dance about their software be free of malware adware and viruss

But you cant download anything if you have a ad blocker!

How ironic is that

 

 

From: Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: 08 April 2018 11:53
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Firefox ad blocker and nvda and filehippo

 

Right the folk at File hippo have stopped me using the update checker unless

i turn off the ad blocker by making the data appear like an advert so you

don't see it if its switched on. So at the moment I need to.

1  invoke the update check

2 when the page has loaded, go to add ons and turn off  ublock.

3  come back to the results page and refresh it

 

Then do this in reverse to be able to browse without claptrap annoying me.

 

I notice there is a white list function in the ublock add on, but using

nvda, I cannot seem to get it to work on the file hippo page I need to turn

it off for. Am I missing something?

 

You do options, dashboard settings and get a list and at the bottom add

either the address or part of it from the page you want, then hit the button

to  add it. The button is above the field but that is just their design.

so what am I missing? Is nvda not letting me see some vital bit?

Brian

 

bglists@...

Sent via blueyonder.

Please address personal E-mail to:-

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

in the display name field.

 

 

 

 


Re: announcing end of lines in Scite editor

Jonathan COHN
 

What Gene and I were working on, is that often times NVDA will say blank for a character it has not been trained to recognize. In these cases if you click numpad 2 three times, NVDA will speak the underlying code associated with that character. 

 

So please enter the program, move to where NVDA says blank and then hit the number 2 three times, if you do this correctly NVDA should say something like 1392 provide that code back to the list. Then we may be able to help you. When Gene attempted to get this code though, it didn’t seem to work so in that case you might have to just live with knowning that blank might be a new line or a Chinese character. (LOL)

Have a great weekend,

Jonathan

 

 

From: <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Jiří Fenz <jirifenz@...>
Reply-To: "nvda@nvda.groups.io" <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Date: Sunday, April 8, 2018 at 9:20 AM
To: "nvda@nvda.groups.io" <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [nvda] announcing end of lines in Scite editor

 

Ok, i have to better specify this think.

Almost everythink is ok in Scite with nvda.

Only when you moving with right arrow cross end of line, nvda says Blank instead of New line.

So this behaviour is dependend only on colors combination in Scite symbol for new line i think.

 

 

 

Dne 06.04.2018 v 19:17 Gene napsal(a):

I don't have the technical knowledge to explain the different information you get and in what order without taking notes and transcribing the information NVDA provides.  I'll say that, if you turn input help on, then press numpad 2, you will hear a description of what happens when you press that key once, twice, or three times quickly.  You just have to press it once when input help is on and all three descriptions will be given.  Pressing the key three times gives you codes for the character you are on when you press that key.  It doesn't matter how you are reviewing the screen.  Any character that you are on will be described.

 

I'm giving desktop layout commands for input help and the current character command.  I don't use the laptop layout.

 

I just found something interesting.  It appears that such information may not be available for control characters.  It would be interesting to get an explanation of why.  I tried using the current character on a hard return.  I just heard blank, no matter how I used the command.  Evidently, control characters fall outside of the code NVDA reports.

 

\Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 11:57 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] announcing end of lines in Scite editor

 

Would it be possible to use review cursor's Say Character and see what the UNICODE is that is being spoken as "blank" and then add it to a dictionary as a different expression? I haven't played with NVDA enough to know. Or perhaps even just the regular expression .$ could be used in a dictionary?



On 4/6/18, 11:41 AM, "
nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of bglists@...> wrote:

    Hmm what I see is nothing is spoken when you hit return, and if you leave a
    line empty it just says blank, much like many editors. This tool behaves a
    bit like the editor used by Dolphins scripting system as I recall.
   
   
    Brian
   
   
bglists@...
    Sent via blueyonder.
    Please address personal E-mail to:-
   
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
    in the display name field.
    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Jiří Fenz" <
jirifenz@...>
    To: <
nvda@nvda.groups.io>
    Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 10:27 AM
    Subject: Re: [nvda] announcing end of lines in Scite editor
   
   
    >I think that it's only about gui element behaviour.
    >
    > Announcing empty instead of New line is the same regardless on lf, cr or
    > crlf end of line.
    >
    > So i think that solving this is about advanced configuration of Scite to
    > change how the eol symbol is viewed or forcing autoit to recognize that
    > actual symbol as standart new line.
    >
    > Here is link for portable version of Scite i'm using, if someone want to
    > try it directly.
    >
    >
https://www.autoitscript.com/cgi-bin/getfile.pl?../autoit3/scite/download/SciTE4AutoIt3_Portable.zip
    >
    > Jiri Fenz
    >
    >
    >
    > Dne 06.04.2018 v 10:56 Shaun Everiss napsal(a):
    >> Well it depends I guess you have to look in the editer options it
    >> would have to do with how the symbon is rendered for nvda to read.
    >>
    >> Simplest way would be if there was a dictenary for that program if you
    >> can have a spaciffic definition for a particular program I am not sure
    >> if thats possible, but you could define the word empty to end of line
    >> or do it for the global deffinition and when anything is empty it will
    >> be end of line instead.
    >>
    >> Thats not going to really work that well.
    >>
    >> We need to find what that symbol actually is that is generated.
    >>
    >> Is it generating the standard carrage return or linefead, cr/lf symbol
    >> for example.
    >>
    >> crlf symbols usually at least when I did communications and things
    >> back in dos usually mean, new line, line end, end of line or simply an
    >> empty space depending on the os, unix/linux, windows or dos.
    >>
    >> In these days, windows/dos has almost the same charset with windows
    >> having more of them and linux has a few more.
    >>
    >> However depending what this thing was developed for, ie unix that
    >> could explain the issue you are having, things are translated that
    >> symbol may not be translated as such so there may be that issue to
    >> worry about.
    >>
    >> Ofcause if you can get a document with just that symbon in it and send
    >> it at whoever handles the symbol database then it should be ok.
    >>
    >> What happens if you create a document with a few new lines or line
    >> breaks in them and view it in another text editor.
    >>
    >> Ie notepad, if the symbol is still empty, then its a symbol issue but
    >> if the symbol is read correctly, it could simbly be what the editor is
    >> outputting to be translated in which case not much we can do.
    >>
    >> If the symbol from scyte you get in notepad back is just utter crap
    >> then it could be an untranslated symbol probably from unix or something.
    >>
    >> The next thing to do is send it back here and get someone to find out
    >> what that symbol comes from, latx for example has different symbols to
    >> text and other programs may have different symbols based on age to a
    >> point, etc.
    >>
    >> So if you find that out then the symbol can be added and your issue is
    >> solved.
    >>
    >> What I fear is that its just what the program outputs at nvda in which
    >> case nothing can be done really.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> On 6/04/2018 8:45 p.m., Jiří Fenz wrote:
    >>> Helllo all,
    >>>
    >>> i'm using Scite for coding in Autoit.
    >>>
    >>> Accessibility of thys program is almost total, but when moving with
    >>> right or left arrow betveen lines, nvda says Empty instead of New line.
    >>>
    >>> Is here some option to set classic End of line character in scite to
    >>> make it announce new line the same way as for example in notepad?
    >>>
    >>> With best regards
    >>>
    >>> Jiri Fenz
    >>>
    >>>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >
    >
   
   
   
   
   



 


Re: announcing end of lines in Scite editor

Jiří Fenz <jirifenz@...>
 

Ok, i have to better specify this think.

Almost everythink is ok in Scite with nvda.

Only when you moving with right arrow cross end of line, nvda says Blank instead of New line.

So this behaviour is dependend only on colors combination in Scite symbol for new line i think.




Dne 06.04.2018 v 19:17 Gene napsal(a):

I don't have the technical knowledge to explain the different information you get and in what order without taking notes and transcribing the information NVDA provides.  I'll say that, if you turn input help on, then press numpad 2, you will hear a description of what happens when you press that key once, twice, or three times quickly.  You just have to press it once when input help is on and all three descriptions will be given.  Pressing the key three times gives you codes for the character you are on when you press that key.  It doesn't matter how you are reviewing the screen.  Any character that you are on will be described.
 
I'm giving desktop layout commands for input help and the current character command.  I don't use the laptop layout.
 
I just found something interesting.  It appears that such information may not be available for control characters.  It would be interesting to get an explanation of why.  I tried using the current character on a hard return.  I just heard blank, no matter how I used the command.  Evidently, control characters fall outside of the code NVDA reports.
 
\Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 11:57 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] announcing end of lines in Scite editor

Would it be possible to use review cursor's Say Character and see what the UNICODE is that is being spoken as "blank" and then add it to a dictionary as a different expression? I haven't played with NVDA enough to know. Or perhaps even just the regular expression .$ could be used in a dictionary?



On 4/6/18, 11:41 AM, "nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of bglists@...> wrote:

    Hmm what I see is nothing is spoken when you hit return, and if you leave a
    line empty it just says blank, much like many editors. This tool behaves a
    bit like the editor used by Dolphins scripting system as I recall.
   
   
    Brian
   
    bglists@...
    Sent via blueyonder.
    Please address personal E-mail to:-
    briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
    in the display name field.
    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Jiří Fenz" <jirifenz@...>
    To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
    Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 10:27 AM
    Subject: Re: [nvda] announcing end of lines in Scite editor
   
   
    >I think that it's only about gui element behaviour.
    >
    > Announcing empty instead of New line is the same regardless on lf, cr or
    > crlf end of line.
    >
    > So i think that solving this is about advanced configuration of Scite to
    > change how the eol symbol is viewed or forcing autoit to recognize that
    > actual symbol as standart new line.
    >
    > Here is link for portable version of Scite i'm using, if someone want to
    > try it directly.
    >
    > https://www.autoitscript.com/cgi-bin/getfile.pl?../autoit3/scite/download/SciTE4AutoIt3_Portable.zip
    >
    > Jiri Fenz
    >
    >
    >
    > Dne 06.04.2018 v 10:56 Shaun Everiss napsal(a):
    >> Well it depends I guess you have to look in the editer options it
    >> would have to do with how the symbon is rendered for nvda to read.
    >>
    >> Simplest way would be if there was a dictenary for that program if you
    >> can have a spaciffic definition for a particular program I am not sure
    >> if thats possible, but you could define the word empty to end of line
    >> or do it for the global deffinition and when anything is empty it will
    >> be end of line instead.
    >>
    >> Thats not going to really work that well.
    >>
    >> We need to find what that symbol actually is that is generated.
    >>
    >> Is it generating the standard carrage return or linefead, cr/lf symbol
    >> for example.
    >>
    >> crlf symbols usually at least when I did communications and things
    >> back in dos usually mean, new line, line end, end of line or simply an
    >> empty space depending on the os, unix/linux, windows or dos.
    >>
    >> In these days, windows/dos has almost the same charset with windows
    >> having more of them and linux has a few more.
    >>
    >> However depending what this thing was developed for, ie unix that
    >> could explain the issue you are having, things are translated that
    >> symbol may not be translated as such so there may be that issue to
    >> worry about.
    >>
    >> Ofcause if you can get a document with just that symbon in it and send
    >> it at whoever handles the symbol database then it should be ok.
    >>
    >> What happens if you create a document with a few new lines or line
    >> breaks in them and view it in another text editor.
    >>
    >> Ie notepad, if the symbol is still empty, then its a symbol issue but
    >> if the symbol is read correctly, it could simbly be what the editor is
    >> outputting to be translated in which case not much we can do.
    >>
    >> If the symbol from scyte you get in notepad back is just utter crap
    >> then it could be an untranslated symbol probably from unix or something.
    >>
    >> The next thing to do is send it back here and get someone to find out
    >> what that symbol comes from, latx for example has different symbols to
    >> text and other programs may have different symbols based on age to a
    >> point, etc.
    >>
    >> So if you find that out then the symbol can be added and your issue is
    >> solved.
    >>
    >> What I fear is that its just what the program outputs at nvda in which
    >> case nothing can be done really.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> On 6/04/2018 8:45 p.m., Jiří Fenz wrote:
    >>> Helllo all,
    >>>
    >>> i'm using Scite for coding in Autoit.
    >>>
    >>> Accessibility of thys program is almost total, but when moving with
    >>> right or left arrow betveen lines, nvda says Empty instead of New line.
    >>>
    >>> Is here some option to set classic End of line character in scite to
    >>> make it announce new line the same way as for example in notepad?
    >>>
    >>> With best regards
    >>>
    >>> Jiri Fenz
    >>>
    >>>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >
    >
   
   
   
   
   






Re: message in email

Monte Single
 

O K.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian's
Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: April-08-18 4:42 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] message in email

My guess then is that at some point during the read the focus momentarily is
dragged away by some updated part of the screen. You could try maximising
the reading window and see if that stops.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Monte Single" <mrsingle@sasktel.net>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, April 08, 2018 10:30 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] message in email


Yes, it happens, not often, when I press insert and down arrow.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Brian's
Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: April-08-18 2:29 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] message in email

Is this while doing a say all?
I wonder if its seeing a change somewhere on screen and jumping to it?
Brian, ie the focus

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Monte Single" <mrsingle@sasktel.net>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, April 07, 2018 4:49 PM
Subject: [nvda] message in email


Hi y'all,



I'm using current version ov nvda with win 7 and outlook 2013,

Sometimes, while hearing a message, nvda says message and stops reading.

Ideas, suggestions, solutions?



Thanks,

Monte








Re: Using combo boxes in Chrome.

Jonathan COHN
 

I have heard some rumblings on a web design list that Chrome v65 is not properly relaying some ARIA information to screen readers. This is a  issue that will be corrected in the next version of Chrome and is not a problem in the previous version..


Firefox ad blocker and nvda and filehippo

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

Right the folk at File hippo have stopped me using the update checker unless i turn off the ad blocker by making the data appear like an advert so you don't see it if its switched on. So at the moment I need to.
1 invoke the update check
2 when the page has loaded, go to add ons and turn off ublock.
3 come back to the results page and refresh it

Then do this in reverse to be able to browse without claptrap annoying me.

I notice there is a white list function in the ublock add on, but using nvda, I cannot seem to get it to work on the file hippo page I need to turn it off for. Am I missing something?

You do options, dashboard settings and get a list and at the bottom add either the address or part of it from the page you want, then hit the button to add it. The button is above the field but that is just their design.
so what am I missing? Is nvda not letting me see some vital bit?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.


Re: message in email

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

My guess then is that at some point during the read the focus momentarily is dragged away by some updated part of the screen. You could try maximising the reading window and see if that stops.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Monte Single" <mrsingle@sasktel.net>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, April 08, 2018 10:30 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] message in email


Yes, it happens, not often, when I press insert and down arrow.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian's
Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: April-08-18 2:29 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] message in email

Is this while doing a say all?
I wonder if its seeing a change somewhere on screen and jumping to it?
Brian, ie the focus

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Monte Single" <mrsingle@sasktel.net>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, April 07, 2018 4:49 PM
Subject: [nvda] message in email


Hi y'all,



I'm using current version ov nvda with win 7 and outlook 2013,

Sometimes, while hearing a message, nvda says message and stops reading.

Ideas, suggestions, solutions?



Thanks,

Monte







Re: For Orhan: Soulseek I Use Now On Send Space

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

I do hate people who use -= alternatively in a line. If it was just a dash or just a =, then the screenreader just says 27 =, but with them alternatively it rabbits on for an age.
grin.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Canazzi" <aa2vm@roadrunner.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, April 08, 2018 11:30 AM
Subject: [nvda] For Orhan: Soulseek I Use Now On Send Space


Hi Group,

I tried sending this off list to Orhan, but the e-mail address I extracted from his outgoing mail bounced it, so here it is for him and anyone else on Send Space.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/cvkbrf

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"



For Orhan: Soulseek I Use Now On Send Space

Ron Canazzi
 

Hi Group,

I tried sending this off list to Orhan, but the e-mail address I extracted from his outgoing mail bounced it, so here it is for him and anyone else on Send Space.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/cvkbrf

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"


Re: message in email

Monte Single
 

Yes, it happens, not often, when I press insert and down arrow.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian's
Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: April-08-18 2:29 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] message in email

Is this while doing a say all?
I wonder if its seeing a change somewhere on screen and jumping to it?
Brian, ie the focus

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Monte Single" <mrsingle@sasktel.net>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, April 07, 2018 4:49 PM
Subject: [nvda] message in email


Hi y'all,



I'm using current version ov nvda with win 7 and outlook 2013,

Sometimes, while hearing a message, nvda says message and stops reading.

Ideas, suggestions, solutions?



Thanks,

Monte




Re: Using combo boxes in Chrome.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

That is because you are changing mode with the nvda/space command, not directly altering it on a live page, so to speak.
What I never could work out though was why different fiddles need to be done in different browsers on the same pages.
That one is not unique in this.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Isige" <gwynn@tds.net>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, April 07, 2018 11:49 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Using combo boxes in Chrome.


Thanks! NVDA-space did the trick, weird that it didn't work with enter. So hitting NVDA-space and then alt-down to expand let's you arrow through it and hit enter on whatever you want, but replacing NVDA-space with enter doesn't seem to let you, at least it didn't work for me. Enter takes it into focus, it at least makes the sound for it, but then as soon as you do anything with the arrows, it changes. I'll bet this trick will work for stuff like Amazon's combo boxes too.


On 4/7/2018 16:36, Chris via Groups.Io wrote:

It works the same in chrome and firefox for me

All i did was to hit C to find the combo boxes then NVDA+space to go into focus mode then alt+down arrow to expand and and up/down arrow for your choice and hit enter

*From: *John Isige <mailto:gwynn@tds.net>
*Sent: *07 April 2018 22:11
*To: *nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject: *Re: [nvda] Using combo boxes in Chrome.

Right. But in Chrome, I can't seem to change it. In Firefox, if I expand

it with alt-down arrow, I get a list I can arrow through, and then when

I tab out, it picks my selection. For example, if I pick "content" in

Firefox and hit enter and then alt-down to expand, I can arrow to

"album" and hit tab, and it will filter for albums. In Chrome, that

doesn't work, it just changes something and reloads the page, often

getting rid of the search results entirely. The audio player doesn't

seem to work for me in Firefox, or I'd just use that and be done with it.

On 4/7/2018 15:36, Chris via Groups.Io wrote:

its a filter, it refreshes to reflect your choice
*From: *John Isige <mailto:gwynn@tds.net>
*Sent: *07 April 2018 21:23
*To: *nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject: *[nvda] Using combo boxes in Chrome.
Hey all. So far as I know I'm on latest NVDA and latest Chrome. I'm
trying to use the combo boxes on the following site.
http://www.folkways.si.edu/search?query=harmonica
If I hit enter on one, say "content", and use the arrows, it reloads the
page. If I expand it, it reloads the page. If I arrow when it's
expanded, it reloads the page. Anybody know of a fix for this? Right now
they're unusable, and I have a feeling Chrome does this for other sites
too, though I could be wrong about that. I haven't tried Firefox because
I don't think the audio player works for me in Firefox, although I
finally got it working in Chrome, so I'll go check that now, in case it
works any better.


Re: message in email

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

Is this while doing a say all?
I wonder if its seeing a change somewhere on screen and jumping to it?
Brian, ie the focus

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk Sent via blueyonder. Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Monte Single" <mrsingle@sasktel.net>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, April 07, 2018 4:49 PM
Subject: [nvda] message in email


Hi y'all,
I'm using current version ov nvda with win 7 and outlook 2013,
Sometimes, while hearing a message, nvda says message and stops reading.
Ideas, suggestions, solutions?
Thanks,
Monte


Re: What version of windows do councils use

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

No but look what happened to xp. I see 7 as a bit of an XP myself.
8.1 was presumably updated to before they realised the way the cookie was going to crumble to preserve software for a time at least.
Interestingly, I also notice the fact that Google drive which had been giving dire warnings to update to the latest backk up and restore thing has now gone back and allowed the old version to still work again, even on XP!


Anyway, my main thrust of what I was saying was that any blind employee or anyone who has to work as a contractor on their system will need to be able to deal with the virtual desktop and google apps it seems.
I'm not terribly crazy about people like Councils who have a lot of data on us, using Google stuff for their in house processes, given the track record recently of big data.
I seem to hear recently that big charities like RNNIB have had their on line trading systems hacked, and one cannot help but wonder if there really is any defence to all this, so striving to make windows unhackable is a bit like trying to make us immortal!

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shaun Everiss" <sm.everiss@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, April 08, 2018 6:10 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] What version of windows do councils use


To be honest, windows 10 will be the way things go.

However I could see the disruptive nature of it set to normal mode.

If I were a business, I'd simply stop any feature updates, and delay for a year, ofcause if you are a business and use enterprise you probably can just not update at all and put it for a time the admin wants.

win7 and 8 will not last for ever.




On 8/04/2018 12:04 a.m., Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
I was asking our local council in case I had to go in to sort something out, and it seems they are not interested in 10, due to its major disruptive updating. Instead the machines that run windows directly use 8.1x and most of the offices use virtual desktops and edit using google resources rather than Microsoft Office, though they do have a licence.

Not sure what they mean by virtual in this context t as this enquiry was about access for the blind to voting info for an upcoming election.


Interesting. Nobody knows whether any screenreader is in use, but I know their libraries used to have Supernova on them.
I doubt under the current cost restraints that anyone still has that however.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.




Re: nvda 2018.1 and soulseek ns?

Orhan Deniz <orhan.deniz63@...>
 

I am using slsk157NS13E.exe

I will see if i have a copy of 157ns-13-C. I really doubt that there is something in E and not C that is causing this but you never know.

Orhan.

On 08/04/2018 06:09, Ron Canazzi wrote:
I am using Windows 10 latest update with NVDA 2018.1.1 and I have seen no change since Windows XP when using Soulseek.
Here is the executable name of the version of Soulseek I am using.
slsk157NS13c.exe
On 4/7/2018 9:51 PM, Orhan Deniz via Groups.Io wrote:
Dude I've used soulseek for over 10 years.

This seems to be a windows 10 specific issue. I will use qt and ns together until a better workaround is found.

On 08/04/2018 00:53, Ron Canazzi wrote:
You also must realize that when browsing a user's files, the interface is a tree view.  If you hear the word collapsed in front of a folder name, you must use the right arrow key to open that tree and go below in the sub structure. You must always make sure that you are in object navigation and if you do not get a download option in your right click menu, you have probably been moved out of object navigation into screen review.  This can happen if you alt + tab away from Soulseek and then back.



On 4/7/2018 12:11 PM, Orhan Deniz via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi Ron,
This issue only occurs when browsing a users files. so say for instance: there is a folder 1995, with nested folders below it, and the third one is called Folder C, I can move the navigator object to it, but as soon as i right click, it selects 1995 instead.

Orhan.
On 07/04/2018 08:04, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Orhan,


I am not having this issue s such.  From Windows 7 on up, I always had to make sure that when in a list using Soulseek, I had to be sure to be in object navigation mode and then to use the right mouse button click when in a list of transfers and in a list of search results, I use the context menu key.  Just why this is, I do not know but it works this way for years.





On 4/6/2018 5:02 PM, Orhan Deniz via Groups.Io wrote:
On windows 10, using soulseek ns 157, when moving the focus to the current navigator object, in a users list of folders, slsk focuses on the wrong folder. i have no other issues with ns and really don't want to upgrade to qt. Anyone else experienced this and is it an nvda or windows 10 issue? works fine on win 7.

Best, O.








Re: What version of windows do councils use

 

To be honest, windows 10 will be the way things go.

However I could see the disruptive nature of it set to normal mode.

If I were a business, I'd simply stop any feature updates, and delay for a year, ofcause if you are a business and use enterprise you probably can just not update at all and put it for a time the admin wants.

win7 and 8 will not last for ever.

On 8/04/2018 12:04 a.m., Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
I was asking our local council in case I had to go in to sort something out, and it seems they are not interested in 10, due to its major disruptive updating. Instead the machines that run windows directly use 8.1x and most of the offices use virtual desktops and edit using google resources rather than Microsoft Office, though they do have a licence.

Not sure what they mean by virtual in this context t as this enquiry was about access for the blind to voting info for an upcoming election.


Interesting. Nobody knows whether any screenreader is in use, but I know their libraries used to have Supernova on them.
I doubt under the current  cost restraints that anyone still has that however.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.



Re: nvda 2018.1 and soulseek ns?

Ron Canazzi
 

I am using Windows 10 latest update with NVDA 2018.1.1 and I have seen no change since Windows XP when using Soulseek.


Here is the executable name of the version of Soulseek I am using.

slsk157NS13c.exe

On 4/7/2018 9:51 PM, Orhan Deniz via Groups.Io wrote:
Dude I've used soulseek for over 10 years.

This seems to be a windows 10 specific issue. I will use qt and ns together until a better workaround is found.

On 08/04/2018 00:53, Ron Canazzi wrote:
You also must realize that when browsing a user's files, the interface is a tree view.  If you hear the word collapsed in front of a folder name, you must use the right arrow key to open that tree and go below in the sub structure. You must always make sure that you are in object navigation and if you do not get a download option in your right click menu, you have probably been moved out of object navigation into screen review.  This can happen if you alt + tab away from Soulseek and then back.



On 4/7/2018 12:11 PM, Orhan Deniz via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi Ron,
This issue only occurs when browsing a users files. so say for instance: there is a folder 1995, with nested folders below it, and the third one is called Folder C, I can move the navigator object to it, but as soon as i right click, it selects 1995 instead.

Orhan.
On 07/04/2018 08:04, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Orhan,


I am not having this issue s such.  From Windows 7 on up, I always had to make sure that when in a list using Soulseek, I had to be sure to be in object navigation mode and then to use the right mouse button click when in a list of transfers and in a list of search results, I use the context menu key.  Just why this is, I do not know but it works this way for years.





On 4/6/2018 5:02 PM, Orhan Deniz via Groups.Io wrote:
On windows 10, using soulseek ns 157, when moving the focus to the current navigator object, in a users list of folders, slsk focuses on the wrong folder. i have no other issues with ns and really don't want to upgrade to qt. Anyone else experienced this and is it an nvda or windows 10 issue? works fine on win 7.

Best, O.






--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"


Re: Which free office package is more accessible libre office or open office with nvda?

 

They won't do anything if removed I have to remove them to update them on a remote system.

On 7/04/2018 10:01 p.m., Gene New Zealand wrote:
Hi guys


I have just been asked this question as mentioned in the subject line. I
do not use these packages at all They also want to know if the package
is uninstalled will it cause any problems like she got when she
uninstalled a copy of microsoft office  or was it another word
processing program.

not sure which program  it was.

it would say unknown in the running applications area, the context menu
and a few other places.

she does not want it to happen again if she decides to try either of
them out.

By the way have they fixed the problem where when you went to do say all
to read the document it would stop after each paragraph.


I know they are not as polished as office with browse mode etc but are
they still very usable.


I think she just wants it for the basics? by the way will it report
formatting so you maybe know the size of the text etc



any help would be great.


Gene nz