Date   

Re: accessibility training is important too.

 

Well sorry to say, unless you have a real problem, you are essentially talking to a drone, probably sourced out of india, once it transfers up to level2 or 3 you get a real person.

The drones are fine for simple tasks, authorising systems, booking things, resetting things, reformatting things, anything more complex, ie doesn't have a manual to go with it, they usually pass on to someone, if it warrents it, they send out a drone to fix it, it may be a real person but it could also be a random unit drone or otherwise on standbuy.

I have had one of them trash one of my broadband units without trying.

Usually as long as it doesn't get me trouble I try to fix it.

Its a lot better now I use a pure data line, they are more stable and hardly anything goes wrong.

On 6/24/2018 9:30 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Yes indeed. I do find it almost ridiculous that, for example my  internet company have me flagged as blind, and generally help me with things that they screw up, rather than un screwing them up, if that is a word, but also continue to put me through to the people who cannot function without knowing what a light is doing on a router, even though I'm deep inside the control panel of said router and can read them any parameter they wish to know about.
There should just be a one line addition to their script. If this person is blind,  push to level 2 or whatever its called. these people do exist, but often the person at the start is unaware of what blindness means or is  just thick. I'm sorry but that is what I feel. Rocket science it is not.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Kingett" <@blindjourno>
To: <games_access@...>; "Top tech editorial" <topdot@...>; <main@TechTalk.groups.io>; <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, June 24, 2018 12:51 AM
Subject: [nvda] accessibility training is important too.


In this post, I detail an experience talking to Microsoft's disability answer desk and talk about the importance of using disability language when interacting with a disabled customer, especially if you are operating disability support. Feel free to share widely.

https://medium.com/p/a0d8aead2659?source=user_profile---------2-------------------






twitter

Gary Metzler
 

Hi All,

 

What do I need to do in order to follow nvda on twitter?  Thanks for any help.

 

Regards, Gary kn4ox

Send to: gmtravel@...

Skype:  garymetz

 


Re: accessibility training is important too.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

Yes indeed. I do find it almost ridiculous that, for example my internet company have me flagged as blind, and generally help me with things that they screw up, rather than un screwing them up, if that is a word, but also continue to put me through to the people who cannot function without knowing what a light is doing on a router, even though I'm deep inside the control panel of said router and can read them any parameter they wish to know about.
There should just be a one line addition to their script. If this person is blind, push to level 2 or whatever its called. these people do exist, but often the person at the start is unaware of what blindness means or is just thick. I'm sorry but that is what I feel. Rocket science it is not.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Kingett" <@blindjourno>
To: <games_access@...>; "Top tech editorial" <topdot@...>; <main@TechTalk.groups.io>; <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, June 24, 2018 12:51 AM
Subject: [nvda] accessibility training is important too.


In this post, I detail an experience talking to Microsoft's disability answer desk and talk about the importance of using disability language when interacting with a disabled customer, especially if you are operating disability support. Feel free to share widely.

https://medium.com/p/a0d8aead2659?source=user_profile---------2-------------------


Issue with Open Tween

Tea Turković
 

Hi all,


yesterday I started to use Open Tween with latest stable version of NVDA. Is it possible to set up automatic announcement of new tweets? Didn't find this setting in the program, neither in the Doug Lee's add-on for this program.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Tea Turkovic


Screen readers and five9 soft phone

Guy Schlosser
 

Hi all, I wrote a couple weeks ago regarding setting up NVDA or jaws with VMware horizon. I got that all working but my new question is, has anyone ever heard of five9 soft phone? I work for a company called Transcom, attempted to use this software with JAWs on Friday, and found that I could not read that different statuses that I can put my phone in. For example, in order to put our phone in training mode, so we don’t get calls, we have to use a category called vendor training. Has anyone gotten the software to work with jaws or NVDA? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much in advance,
Guy


Re: OT. Transcription jobs?

slery <slerythema@...>
 

Medical Transcription is being phased out. Doctors are required to have digital records now and most enter the data right then and there or have an assistant that sits in the room and enters it. My friend worked in the field for 15 years and was hoping it would keep going long enough for her to retire. She has already had to pick up another job as hers was phased out and the company went out of business.

Cindy

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Laz
Sent: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 1:08 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] OT. Transcription jobs?

No mailing lists that I know of but there are several fields that use Transcriptionists as in medical, legal, etc. There are some requirements to be met before one can call oneself a transcriptionist though. I went to a trade school to learn how to do medical transcription. If you ask me nowadays if it was worth it my answer would have to be no. I came into transcription after most of the available work began to be outsourced to India hence there was very little opportunity available. the school finally placed me with a transcription company in California I live in Florida, and I made less than $3000 in the five years I spen working as a medical transcriptionist. Yes, it was that bad. From my experience I would recommend if that's what you want to do, to seek your own clients locally and realize that they most likely already have a transcriptionist or a service and that you may have to underbid to get any work plus prove yourself better and faster than the competition.
The training is a must as you won't be able to compete without it. One more thing I need to let you know about. Most big transcription companies use specific programs for you to pick up your work and return it and most of these programs are less than accessible from what I've heard. This is another reason to seek your own clients locally. The most successful medical transcriptionist I know either built up their own local clients over a period of time or they were in the business before the outsourcing of work to India began.

Good luck,

Laz

On 2/7/18, Matt Turner <meturner2214@...> wrote:
Hi folks.

Subject says it all.

Triing to find something to do for working from home.

Are there any blind mailing-list for this kind of thing?





--
Affordably priced Accessible Talking MP3 Players, Accessible phones, Bluetooth devices, and accessories http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@...
Phone: 727-498-0121
Skype: lazmesa
Personal Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/laz.mesa
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Talkingmp3players?_rdr


Re: braille me display not quite ready

erik burggraaf <erik@...>
 

Clearly it's an issue on Josh's unit, which means it could be an issue on others.

Josh, can you let us know if they get back to you on that one? Hopefully they see it, as it's buried right at the bottom of your list. To me, it seems like the most key factor. I would have listed it right at the top. In any event, hopefully there is an easy fix that can be done in service.

back to your regularly scheduled nvda talk I guess. thank you for indulging my curiosity, as I cannot currently get access to play with any of these displays.

On June 23, 2018 5:43:10 PM "Buddy Brannan" <buddy@...> wrote:

Howdy Erik,

Gravy on meat loaf followed by icing on cake? Sounds like a pretty good plan to me! 

I didn’t notice any such anomaly with my display. In fact, all the dots went down nicely. While there were some dots that were slightly lower than others, these were likely within tolerances and not a huge deal. The only dot that I had trouble with was, as I said, the one dot 4 that wouldn’t come up on its own. By contrast, my Orbit was working great for several months, but one trip in a carryon bag to Minnesota and dot 6 on cell 7 is stuck down. And not long after coming home, two dit 6’s, on cells 1 and 3 respectively, are stuck in the up position. Definitely worth a service call, methinks. 

In any case, once all the little glitches get ironed out, I do believe both displays will be viable options. 

—Buddy

On Jun 23, 2018, at 3:26 PM, erik burggraaf <erik@...> wrote:

Hi Buddy,

Did you observe this item Josh mentioned about unused dots being slightly tactile above the faceplate while reading braille?

Just wait til we have a brailleme and an orbit that support 150 languages, require two hours of training to guide users through their initial tour of the settings panel, and can survive being run over by a boldozer.

I wouldn't want gravy on cake, but why not gravy on meatloaf followed by icing on cake?  We deserve it don't we?

Have fun,

Erik

On June 23, 2018 12:46:43 PM "Buddy Brannan" <buddy@...> wrote:

Hi Erik,

Good points, all. 

My preproduction unit, awaiting delivery for replacement at NBP, had just one stuck dot, a dot 4 on sell 15, or something like that. That dot would come up if you tilted the unit upside down, so there was clearly a small mechanical fault. I’m confident that the hardware will be fine, and firmware will follow on as well, especially with backing from NBP and others. While Orbit makes very nice braille, the delays in unit availability are discouraging. And my Orbit has, I think, developed a couple stuck dots, so need to work that out with APH before too long. 

Regardless, to have two low-cost braille options is phenomenal. If you had told me 10 years ago this would happen,’I’d have been hopeful but frankly skeptical. Besides the issues you mention below, I think it’s important to remember what these devices are, and also what they are not. They’re low-cost ways to get braille into more hands, at minimal cost, and with basic though useful functionality. Extras are just gravy. Or icing on the cake, but not gravy on the cake, because that would be gross. 

On Jun 23, 2018, at 11:39 AM, erik burggraaf <erik@...> wrote:

Hello, I enjoyed reading your comments, and I agree with a lot of what you had to say. However, I disagree with your assertion that Braille me is quote not ready quote. based on your comments, the only potential showstopper that I see is the fact that some of the dots do not go all the way down below the faceplate. I would be interested to know how many Braille me units you tested, and whether this issue appears on any other units. if anybody else has tested a braille me, I hope you will chime in and let me know. if you were saying that batteries and charging devices were catching fire, ports were collapsing, or the device was particularly susceptible to damage by dropping, then I would say maybe we need to go back to the drawing board here. However, most of the issues are software and firmware related. Many of these things can be tweaked in the context of the current device.

It's a great rundown of potential bugs, and  feature suggestions. However, I seriously doubt that all users need access to all of the features you specified.  Not all users need access to 25 different languages for example. many languages will not be considered for addition, until the countries that predominantly use those languages consider adopting Braille me. language switching on the Fly is also something that can and should get better over time.

support for entering text and using modifier Keys is important to me, but may or may not be important to somebody else.

It seems to me that you got really excited about a great new device, and created some unnecessarily and perhaps unreasonably high expectations for what it could do, especially in a first release. I don't know how well the Braille me stacks up to the orbit in all of the areas you specified for example. However, the orbit is 2 years behind production, and almost no one can get their hands on it. to me, that indicates that something about the orbit or its processes is quoteaccess technology world. We know they will put out great Hardware with Hokie software, and then make software improvements catch-as-catch-can. But we know those improvements will come.by comparison, I recently did a customer training on a braille sense Polaris for work. the only fully functioning app in the Braille sense Polaris right now as far as I'm concerned is the word processor. However, even the word processor is limited for example, it is not currently possible to print from the word processor without installing a third party app. the rest of the office apps that come with Polaris sweet are read-only apps, which basically convert spreadsheets and slideshows into HTML format with no formatting, and allow a user to read the information. the Wi-Fi utility that comes with the sweet does not support connecting to WPA2 Enterprise networks, and such corporate networks need to be connected through Android stock Wi-Fi utility, which in the Polaris, has some minor accessibility issues. Browsing websites with the on-suite browser app is extremely barebones. it does not currently support navigating by headings, tables, lists, and other HTML attributes. the Polaris supports installing third-party synthesizers, however, third-party synthesizers can only be activated and used in the stock Android outside of the proprietary application sweet. so, as much as I like the hardware in the Braille sense Polaris, when I think of the functionality I get from my HTC phone connected to a braille Edge, versus what I get from the firmware in the Polaris, I cannot help being extremely disappointed, especially considering the difference in price. Does that mean the Braille sense Polaris is not ready? Well, in my mind, yes I think it does. However, the customer I trained absolutely loved it. despite the high price and the extreme limitations, it does everything she wanted it to do, and it does so very well. Should GW micro have waited until they had a fully functioning set of onsweet apps before releasing the Polaris? Yes, in my opinion they should. However, we have a happy customer now, and the product is generating income for the company, which can hopefully be used to justify further feature improvements down the road.

Hims is a known quantity.  We know they consistantly put out great hardware with hokie software and make substantial improvements over time.  Innovision is an unknown.  We don't know what to expect, although they have been very responsive to me personally despite the fact that I haven't been able to go forward.  I completely understand your disappointment, but I suggest patience as this is a first release of a new product and is not going to have everything all at once.  I believe innovision is able to fulfill orders at this point, which is more than the cometition can say.  Others on list are reporting that early hardware issues are being addressed, and generally I have not heard evidence that the company acted in bad faith other than one third hand complaint from some one high up in a blindness organisation with a vested interest in a direct competeter product.

So all in all, I think based on what you wrote, the assertion of not ready gives an entirely false impression while your document conveys worth while information. 

Best,

Erik

On June 23, 2018 9:20:17 AM "Josh Kennedy" <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:

here are all the reasons why braille me is not ready. note, this is also a google doc that i shared with innovision themselves. 
Note: if blind, turn on all or total punctuation in your screen reader in order to read this document. 
1. the five braille problem characters and capitalized letters or uppercase letters.
a. Currently for showing dot 4, dots 4-5, dots 2-4-6, dots 1-2-4-5-6, and dots 1-2-5-6, braille me expects to see @ ^ [ ] \ ... But many translators use ` ~ { } |  ... Braille me should also recognise these characters... 
b. Braille me if it sees `~{}| it just shows empty cells or spaces. 
c. Braille me shows empty cells for lowercase letters. Braille me should recognise lowercase letters because many translators use these, such as Braille Blaster.
D. When searching for text if for example, you want to find the word Tower. Braille me should, to be sure it finds what you want, it should look for: ,t[]  ,T[]  ,t{}    and ,T{} … 
2. suppress or remove all white space. 
a. extra carriage returns, blank pages in braille ready or embosser ready files, and multiple blank spaces take up space on 20 cell displays. Add menu options that when turned on will suppress extra space. 
3. page navigation.
a. Braille me should have page movement commands. Move by page should be defined as: move back or forward 1000 (one thousand) characters or until a formfeed character is encountered.
4. custom Bookmarks.
a. Add ability to add, clear, and jump to your own custom bookmarks in files.
5. Add ability to write in computer braille or raw text or .txt. There is no dot 7 so to compensate for this, make all uppercase computer braille letters blink up and down. blink time should be configurable. 
a. NVDA when using expand to computer braille should also have capital letters blink up and down.
6. NVDA.
a. blinking capital letters.
b. ability to write in braille into the computer.
c. ability to control computer with braille display keyboard, commands for function keys, alt, control, and so on. 
7. display emulation.
a. to work with jaws and other screen readers and devices, add option to emulate a Baum vario ultra 20 display, or baum displays. this should work with both USB and bluetooth, and be HID compliant.
8. adding languages.
a. add ability and documentation for adding languages. example, I want braille me's interface to be in German, or Icelandic braille. and I want to read braille and write in German or Icelandic braille in the editor. Or in Chinese and Japanese braille if I wish.
9. turn off all beeps and audio tones and audio indications.
a. the beeps are very loud and will be distracting in class, business and church environments. Add a menu option to turn these off. All beeps and audio tones emitted by braille me should have the ability to be completely turned off. Whether braille me is being turned on, shut down, errors occur. if braille me restarts or has a big error... no beeps should be heard. Braille me should be completely silent when beeps are off. 
10. better documentation for editing date and time. I had to play with braille me and teach myself how to edit date and time. explain to the user, first use cursor router buttons to place the cursor on the first number, use navigation buttons to set the first number. use cursor router buttons to move to the next number and edit it until time and date are set the way you wish and then press enter or dot8. 
11. When braille me turns on it displays “menu”, 
And then you have to press “enter” before navigating. To save time, as soon as Braille Me turns on, let us navigate right away. Also add first letter navigation, f, for file manager, s for settings and all menu options that start with s. To edit time easier, let us enter time and date using the braille keyboard such as: “#20:30  using dropped numbers and dots 1-5-6 for colon… In other words, computer braille. 
12. Ability to create, rename, and delete folders.
1. Ability to cut, copy and paste files into and out of user-created folders.
13. Inconsistent dot height.
1. Many dots are higher and lower than other dots. Additionally, some dots are at a slight angle in relation to other dots. Also when blank cells are created such as for spaces, or the absence of dots in order to create letters, example: If I write the letter m, dots 1-3-4… dots 2, 5, 6 stick out above the faceplate perhaps by one or two millimeters. This makes reading difficult. Please if you have to re-design braille me to make this change, but make it so that if dots are not needed such as in the letter m, dots 1-3-4, where dots 2-5-6 are not needed, same goes for spaces, that they are completely below the faceplate so that unused dots are not even felt or touched by the user.





accessibility training is important too.

 

In this post, I detail an experience talking to Microsoft's disability answer desk and talk about the importance of using disability language when interacting with a disabled customer, especially if you are operating disability support. Feel free to share widely.

https://medium.com/p/a0d8aead2659?source=user_profile---------2-------------------


Re: braille me display not quite ready

Buddy Brannan
 

Howdy Erik,

Gravy on meat loaf followed by icing on cake? Sounds like a pretty good plan to me! 

I didn’t notice any such anomaly with my display. In fact, all the dots went down nicely. While there were some dots that were slightly lower than others, these were likely within tolerances and not a huge deal. The only dot that I had trouble with was, as I said, the one dot 4 that wouldn’t come up on its own. By contrast, my Orbit was working great for several months, but one trip in a carryon bag to Minnesota and dot 6 on cell 7 is stuck down. And not long after coming home, two dit 6’s, on cells 1 and 3 respectively, are stuck in the up position. Definitely worth a service call, methinks. 

In any case, once all the little glitches get ironed out, I do believe both displays will be viable options. 

—Buddy

On Jun 23, 2018, at 3:26 PM, erik burggraaf <erik@...> wrote:

Hi Buddy,

Did you observe this item Josh mentioned about unused dots being slightly tactile above the faceplate while reading braille?

Just wait til we have a brailleme and an orbit that support 150 languages, require two hours of training to guide users through their initial tour of the settings panel, and can survive being run over by a boldozer.

I wouldn't want gravy on cake, but why not gravy on meatloaf followed by icing on cake?  We deserve it don't we?

Have fun,

Erik

On June 23, 2018 12:46:43 PM "Buddy Brannan" <buddy@...> wrote:

Hi Erik,

Good points, all. 

My preproduction unit, awaiting delivery for replacement at NBP, had just one stuck dot, a dot 4 on sell 15, or something like that. That dot would come up if you tilted the unit upside down, so there was clearly a small mechanical fault. I’m confident that the hardware will be fine, and firmware will follow on as well, especially with backing from NBP and others. While Orbit makes very nice braille, the delays in unit availability are discouraging. And my Orbit has, I think, developed a couple stuck dots, so need to work that out with APH before too long. 

Regardless, to have two low-cost braille options is phenomenal. If you had told me 10 years ago this would happen,’I’d have been hopeful but frankly skeptical. Besides the issues you mention below, I think it’s important to remember what these devices are, and also what they are not. They’re low-cost ways to get braille into more hands, at minimal cost, and with basic though useful functionality. Extras are just gravy. Or icing on the cake, but not gravy on the cake, because that would be gross. 

On Jun 23, 2018, at 11:39 AM, erik burggraaf <erik@...> wrote:

Hello, I enjoyed reading your comments, and I agree with a lot of what you had to say. However, I disagree with your assertion that Braille me is quote not ready quote. based on your comments, the only potential showstopper that I see is the fact that some of the dots do not go all the way down below the faceplate. I would be interested to know how many Braille me units you tested, and whether this issue appears on any other units. if anybody else has tested a braille me, I hope you will chime in and let me know. if you were saying that batteries and charging devices were catching fire, ports were collapsing, or the device was particularly susceptible to damage by dropping, then I would say maybe we need to go back to the drawing board here. However, most of the issues are software and firmware related. Many of these things can be tweaked in the context of the current device.

It's a great rundown of potential bugs, and  feature suggestions. However, I seriously doubt that all users need access to all of the features you specified.  Not all users need access to 25 different languages for example. many languages will not be considered for addition, until the countries that predominantly use those languages consider adopting Braille me. language switching on the Fly is also something that can and should get better over time.

support for entering text and using modifier Keys is important to me, but may or may not be important to somebody else.

It seems to me that you got really excited about a great new device, and created some unnecessarily and perhaps unreasonably high expectations for what it could do, especially in a first release. I don't know how well the Braille me stacks up to the orbit in all of the areas you specified for example. However, the orbit is 2 years behind production, and almost no one can get their hands on it. to me, that indicates that something about the orbit or its processes is quoteaccess technology world. We know they will put out great Hardware with Hokie software, and then make software improvements catch-as-catch-can. But we know those improvements will come.by comparison, I recently did a customer training on a braille sense Polaris for work. the only fully functioning app in the Braille sense Polaris right now as far as I'm concerned is the word processor. However, even the word processor is limited for example, it is not currently possible to print from the word processor without installing a third party app. the rest of the office apps that come with Polaris sweet are read-only apps, which basically convert spreadsheets and slideshows into HTML format with no formatting, and allow a user to read the information. the Wi-Fi utility that comes with the sweet does not support connecting to WPA2 Enterprise networks, and such corporate networks need to be connected through Android stock Wi-Fi utility, which in the Polaris, has some minor accessibility issues. Browsing websites with the on-suite browser app is extremely barebones. it does not currently support navigating by headings, tables, lists, and other HTML attributes. the Polaris supports installing third-party synthesizers, however, third-party synthesizers can only be activated and used in the stock Android outside of the proprietary application sweet. so, as much as I like the hardware in the Braille sense Polaris, when I think of the functionality I get from my HTC phone connected to a braille Edge, versus what I get from the firmware in the Polaris, I cannot help being extremely disappointed, especially considering the difference in price. Does that mean the Braille sense Polaris is not ready? Well, in my mind, yes I think it does. However, the customer I trained absolutely loved it. despite the high price and the extreme limitations, it does everything she wanted it to do, and it does so very well. Should GW micro have waited until they had a fully functioning set of onsweet apps before releasing the Polaris? Yes, in my opinion they should. However, we have a happy customer now, and the product is generating income for the company, which can hopefully be used to justify further feature improvements down the road.

Hims is a known quantity.  We know they consistantly put out great hardware with hokie software and make substantial improvements over time.  Innovision is an unknown.  We don't know what to expect, although they have been very responsive to me personally despite the fact that I haven't been able to go forward.  I completely understand your disappointment, but I suggest patience as this is a first release of a new product and is not going to have everything all at once.  I believe innovision is able to fulfill orders at this point, which is more than the cometition can say.  Others on list are reporting that early hardware issues are being addressed, and generally I have not heard evidence that the company acted in bad faith other than one third hand complaint from some one high up in a blindness organisation with a vested interest in a direct competeter product.

So all in all, I think based on what you wrote, the assertion of not ready gives an entirely false impression while your document conveys worth while information. 

Best,

Erik

On June 23, 2018 9:20:17 AM "Josh Kennedy" <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:

here are all the reasons why braille me is not ready. note, this is also a google doc that i shared with innovision themselves. 
Note: if blind, turn on all or total punctuation in your screen reader in order to read this document. 
1. the five braille problem characters and capitalized letters or uppercase letters.
a. Currently for showing dot 4, dots 4-5, dots 2-4-6, dots 1-2-4-5-6, and dots 1-2-5-6, braille me expects to see @ ^ [ ] \ ... But many translators use ` ~ { } |  ... Braille me should also recognise these characters... 
b. Braille me if it sees `~{}| it just shows empty cells or spaces. 
c. Braille me shows empty cells for lowercase letters. Braille me should recognise lowercase letters because many translators use these, such as Braille Blaster.
D. When searching for text if for example, you want to find the word Tower. Braille me should, to be sure it finds what you want, it should look for: ,t[]  ,T[]  ,t{}    and ,T{} … 
2. suppress or remove all white space. 
a. extra carriage returns, blank pages in braille ready or embosser ready files, and multiple blank spaces take up space on 20 cell displays. Add menu options that when turned on will suppress extra space. 
3. page navigation.
a. Braille me should have page movement commands. Move by page should be defined as: move back or forward 1000 (one thousand) characters or until a formfeed character is encountered.
4. custom Bookmarks.
a. Add ability to add, clear, and jump to your own custom bookmarks in files.
5. Add ability to write in computer braille or raw text or .txt. There is no dot 7 so to compensate for this, make all uppercase computer braille letters blink up and down. blink time should be configurable. 
a. NVDA when using expand to computer braille should also have capital letters blink up and down.
6. NVDA.
a. blinking capital letters.
b. ability to write in braille into the computer.
c. ability to control computer with braille display keyboard, commands for function keys, alt, control, and so on. 
7. display emulation.
a. to work with jaws and other screen readers and devices, add option to emulate a Baum vario ultra 20 display, or baum displays. this should work with both USB and bluetooth, and be HID compliant.
8. adding languages.
a. add ability and documentation for adding languages. example, I want braille me's interface to be in German, or Icelandic braille. and I want to read braille and write in German or Icelandic braille in the editor. Or in Chinese and Japanese braille if I wish.
9. turn off all beeps and audio tones and audio indications.
a. the beeps are very loud and will be distracting in class, business and church environments. Add a menu option to turn these off. All beeps and audio tones emitted by braille me should have the ability to be completely turned off. Whether braille me is being turned on, shut down, errors occur. if braille me restarts or has a big error... no beeps should be heard. Braille me should be completely silent when beeps are off. 
10. better documentation for editing date and time. I had to play with braille me and teach myself how to edit date and time. explain to the user, first use cursor router buttons to place the cursor on the first number, use navigation buttons to set the first number. use cursor router buttons to move to the next number and edit it until time and date are set the way you wish and then press enter or dot8. 
11. When braille me turns on it displays “menu”, 
And then you have to press “enter” before navigating. To save time, as soon as Braille Me turns on, let us navigate right away. Also add first letter navigation, f, for file manager, s for settings and all menu options that start with s. To edit time easier, let us enter time and date using the braille keyboard such as: “#20:30  using dropped numbers and dots 1-5-6 for colon… In other words, computer braille. 
12. Ability to create, rename, and delete folders.
1. Ability to cut, copy and paste files into and out of user-created folders.
13. Inconsistent dot height.
1. Many dots are higher and lower than other dots. Additionally, some dots are at a slight angle in relation to other dots. Also when blank cells are created such as for spaces, or the absence of dots in order to create letters, example: If I write the letter m, dots 1-3-4… dots 2, 5, 6 stick out above the faceplate perhaps by one or two millimeters. This makes reading difficult. Please if you have to re-design braille me to make this change, but make it so that if dots are not needed such as in the letter m, dots 1-3-4, where dots 2-5-6 are not needed, same goes for spaces, that they are completely below the faceplate so that unused dots are not even felt or touched by the user.





Re: braille me display not quite ready

erik burggraaf <erik@...>
 

Hi Buddy,

Did you observe this item Josh mentioned about unused dots being slightly tactile above the faceplate while reading braille?

Just wait til we have a brailleme and an orbit that support 150 languages, require two hours of training to guide users through their initial tour of the settings panel, and can survive being run over by a boldozer.

I wouldn't want gravy on cake, but why not gravy on meatloaf followed by icing on cake?  We deserve it don't we?

Have fun,

Erik

On June 23, 2018 12:46:43 PM "Buddy Brannan" <buddy@...> wrote:

Hi Erik,

Good points, all. 

My preproduction unit, awaiting delivery for replacement at NBP, had just one stuck dot, a dot 4 on sell 15, or something like that. That dot would come up if you tilted the unit upside down, so there was clearly a small mechanical fault. I’m confident that the hardware will be fine, and firmware will follow on as well, especially with backing from NBP and others. While Orbit makes very nice braille, the delays in unit availability are discouraging. And my Orbit has, I think, developed a couple stuck dots, so need to work that out with APH before too long. 

Regardless, to have two low-cost braille options is phenomenal. If you had told me 10 years ago this would happen,’I’d have been hopeful but frankly skeptical. Besides the issues you mention below, I think it’s important to remember what these devices are, and also what they are not. They’re low-cost ways to get braille into more hands, at minimal cost, and with basic though useful functionality. Extras are just gravy. Or icing on the cake, but not gravy on the cake, because that would be gross. 

On Jun 23, 2018, at 11:39 AM, erik burggraaf <erik@...> wrote:

Hello, I enjoyed reading your comments, and I agree with a lot of what you had to say. However, I disagree with your assertion that Braille me is quote not ready quote. based on your comments, the only potential showstopper that I see is the fact that some of the dots do not go all the way down below the faceplate. I would be interested to know how many Braille me units you tested, and whether this issue appears on any other units. if anybody else has tested a braille me, I hope you will chime in and let me know. if you were saying that batteries and charging devices were catching fire, ports were collapsing, or the device was particularly susceptible to damage by dropping, then I would say maybe we need to go back to the drawing board here. However, most of the issues are software and firmware related. Many of these things can be tweaked in the context of the current device.

It's a great rundown of potential bugs, and  feature suggestions. However, I seriously doubt that all users need access to all of the features you specified.  Not all users need access to 25 different languages for example. many languages will not be considered for addition, until the countries that predominantly use those languages consider adopting Braille me. language switching on the Fly is also something that can and should get better over time.

support for entering text and using modifier Keys is important to me, but may or may not be important to somebody else.

It seems to me that you got really excited about a great new device, and created some unnecessarily and perhaps unreasonably high expectations for what it could do, especially in a first release. I don't know how well the Braille me stacks up to the orbit in all of the areas you specified for example. However, the orbit is 2 years behind production, and almost no one can get their hands on it. to me, that indicates that something about the orbit or its processes is quoteaccess technology world. We know they will put out great Hardware with Hokie software, and then make software improvements catch-as-catch-can. But we know those improvements will come.by comparison, I recently did a customer training on a braille sense Polaris for work. the only fully functioning app in the Braille sense Polaris right now as far as I'm concerned is the word processor. However, even the word processor is limited for example, it is not currently possible to print from the word processor without installing a third party app. the rest of the office apps that come with Polaris sweet are read-only apps, which basically convert spreadsheets and slideshows into HTML format with no formatting, and allow a user to read the information. the Wi-Fi utility that comes with the sweet does not support connecting to WPA2 Enterprise networks, and such corporate networks need to be connected through Android stock Wi-Fi utility, which in the Polaris, has some minor accessibility issues. Browsing websites with the on-suite browser app is extremely barebones. it does not currently support navigating by headings, tables, lists, and other HTML attributes. the Polaris supports installing third-party synthesizers, however, third-party synthesizers can only be activated and used in the stock Android outside of the proprietary application sweet. so, as much as I like the hardware in the Braille sense Polaris, when I think of the functionality I get from my HTC phone connected to a braille Edge, versus what I get from the firmware in the Polaris, I cannot help being extremely disappointed, especially considering the difference in price. Does that mean the Braille sense Polaris is not ready? Well, in my mind, yes I think it does. However, the customer I trained absolutely loved it. despite the high price and the extreme limitations, it does everything she wanted it to do, and it does so very well. Should GW micro have waited until they had a fully functioning set of onsweet apps before releasing the Polaris? Yes, in my opinion they should. However, we have a happy customer now, and the product is generating income for the company, which can hopefully be used to justify further feature improvements down the road.

Hims is a known quantity.  We know they consistantly put out great hardware with hokie software and make substantial improvements over time.  Innovision is an unknown.  We don't know what to expect, although they have been very responsive to me personally despite the fact that I haven't been able to go forward.  I completely understand your disappointment, but I suggest patience as this is a first release of a new product and is not going to have everything all at once.  I believe innovision is able to fulfill orders at this point, which is more than the cometition can say.  Others on list are reporting that early hardware issues are being addressed, and generally I have not heard evidence that the company acted in bad faith other than one third hand complaint from some one high up in a blindness organisation with a vested interest in a direct competeter product.

So all in all, I think based on what you wrote, the assertion of not ready gives an entirely false impression while your document conveys worth while information. 

Best,

Erik

On June 23, 2018 9:20:17 AM "Josh Kennedy" <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:

here are all the reasons why braille me is not ready. note, this is also a google doc that i shared with innovision themselves. 
Note: if blind, turn on all or total punctuation in your screen reader in order to read this document. 
1. the five braille problem characters and capitalized letters or uppercase letters.
a. Currently for showing dot 4, dots 4-5, dots 2-4-6, dots 1-2-4-5-6, and dots 1-2-5-6, braille me expects to see @ ^ [ ] \ ... But many translators use ` ~ { } |  ... Braille me should also recognise these characters... 
b. Braille me if it sees `~{}| it just shows empty cells or spaces. 
c. Braille me shows empty cells for lowercase letters. Braille me should recognise lowercase letters because many translators use these, such as Braille Blaster.
D. When searching for text if for example, you want to find the word Tower. Braille me should, to be sure it finds what you want, it should look for: ,t[]  ,T[]  ,t{}    and ,T{} … 
2. suppress or remove all white space. 
a. extra carriage returns, blank pages in braille ready or embosser ready files, and multiple blank spaces take up space on 20 cell displays. Add menu options that when turned on will suppress extra space. 
3. page navigation.
a. Braille me should have page movement commands. Move by page should be defined as: move back or forward 1000 (one thousand) characters or until a formfeed character is encountered.
4. custom Bookmarks.
a. Add ability to add, clear, and jump to your own custom bookmarks in files.
5. Add ability to write in computer braille or raw text or .txt. There is no dot 7 so to compensate for this, make all uppercase computer braille letters blink up and down. blink time should be configurable. 
a. NVDA when using expand to computer braille should also have capital letters blink up and down.
6. NVDA.
a. blinking capital letters.
b. ability to write in braille into the computer.
c. ability to control computer with braille display keyboard, commands for function keys, alt, control, and so on. 
7. display emulation.
a. to work with jaws and other screen readers and devices, add option to emulate a Baum vario ultra 20 display, or baum displays. this should work with both USB and bluetooth, and be HID compliant.
8. adding languages.
a. add ability and documentation for adding languages. example, I want braille me's interface to be in German, or Icelandic braille. and I want to read braille and write in German or Icelandic braille in the editor. Or in Chinese and Japanese braille if I wish.
9. turn off all beeps and audio tones and audio indications.
a. the beeps are very loud and will be distracting in class, business and church environments. Add a menu option to turn these off. All beeps and audio tones emitted by braille me should have the ability to be completely turned off. Whether braille me is being turned on, shut down, errors occur. if braille me restarts or has a big error... no beeps should be heard. Braille me should be completely silent when beeps are off. 
10. better documentation for editing date and time. I had to play with braille me and teach myself how to edit date and time. explain to the user, first use cursor router buttons to place the cursor on the first number, use navigation buttons to set the first number. use cursor router buttons to move to the next number and edit it until time and date are set the way you wish and then press enter or dot8. 
11. When braille me turns on it displays “menu”, 
And then you have to press “enter” before navigating. To save time, as soon as Braille Me turns on, let us navigate right away. Also add first letter navigation, f, for file manager, s for settings and all menu options that start with s. To edit time easier, let us enter time and date using the braille keyboard such as: “#20:30  using dropped numbers and dots 1-5-6 for colon… In other words, computer braille. 
12. Ability to create, rename, and delete folders.
1. Ability to cut, copy and paste files into and out of user-created folders.
13. Inconsistent dot height.
1. Many dots are higher and lower than other dots. Additionally, some dots are at a slight angle in relation to other dots. Also when blank cells are created such as for spaces, or the absence of dots in order to create letters, example: If I write the letter m, dots 1-3-4… dots 2, 5, 6 stick out above the faceplate perhaps by one or two millimeters. This makes reading difficult. Please if you have to re-design braille me to make this change, but make it so that if dots are not needed such as in the letter m, dots 1-3-4, where dots 2-5-6 are not needed, same goes for spaces, that they are completely below the faceplate so that unused dots are not even felt or touched by the user.




Re: NVDA and SecureCRT or other ssh clients for Windows

Norman <lists@...>
 

Hi.

I personally use teraterm.

https://osdn.net/projects/ttssh2/releases/

You can also configure openssh to work although it does require messing with the environment variables.

On 6/21/2018 2:58 PM, Travis Siegel wrote:
I use the cygwin file system, and the ssh that is built into the cygwin file system. I simply installed cygwin, and in the process, also installed all of it's available programs, mostly because it was too much trouble to figure out what was check and what wasn't, then after all ws said and done, I had a completely working cygwin environment, which (btw) isn't required to run the installed programs. Once cygwin is installed, you don't actually have to run cygwin in order to run the programs from it. I just open a command prompt, and type ssh user@server, and all works well. It's true there is no scrollback, which is sometimes important, but if you just need access, it works just fine.


On 6/20/2018 6:02 PM, Jason White via Groups.Io wrote:
Christian Schoepplein <chris@...> wrote:
This is working with Windows 10 only, isn't it? Unfortunatly I have to use
Win7, Win10 will be rolled out next year maybe :-(.
Windows Subsystem for Linux requires Windows 10; msys2 however does not.
Microsoft significantly improved the accessibility of the console in recent
versions of Windows 10. If these improvements are valuable to you, you can
probably make a case to your employer for a Windows 10 machine.

In the past I used a Linux box with a self installed Debian and a
virtualized Windows 7. That was the perfekt working enviroment for the
tasks I have todo in my daily work.
Which virtualization tool did you run on the Linux host? I'm considering doing
the same, or at least experimenting a little. I also need to find out how to
license Microsoft Windows to run on a virtual machine.

I've used KVM to virtualize a Linux guest before, but I haven't tried running
Windows in a VM.

I would expect NVDA to work, although the braille display would create some
issues even if the USB interface can be forwarded to the guest.







Re: Fw: Strange occurrence with JAWS/.NVDA

Danny Park
 

I only have one reader active but I do have more than one installed. Both readers read the uac screen with only one reader active. All other areas perform as they should and only the active reader reads things.

Danny

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2018 12:09 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Fw: Strange occurrence with JAWS/.NVDA

Well, I for one thing never have more than one screenreader active at any
one time. I do not have Jaws at all, but I do sometimes invoke Narrator if I
need it.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Danny Park" <dpark13918@...>
To: "N V D A" <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2018 5:45 PM
Subject: [nvda] Fw: Strange occurrence with JAWS/.NVDA




From: Danny
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 11:24 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Strange occurrence with JAWS/.NVDA

I have both JAWS and NVDA installed on several machines and when an update
is applied and UAC gets invoked both screen readers read the message to me
and once I click on OK which ever screen reader is active goes back to
reading all to me. Does anyone have any idea what is going on or how to get
rid of it. It does not really cause a problem it is just annoying.

Thanks,
Danny


Re: braille me display not quite ready

Buddy Brannan
 

Hi Erik,

Good points, all. 

My preproduction unit, awaiting delivery for replacement at NBP, had just one stuck dot, a dot 4 on sell 15, or something like that. That dot would come up if you tilted the unit upside down, so there was clearly a small mechanical fault. I’m confident that the hardware will be fine, and firmware will follow on as well, especially with backing from NBP and others. While Orbit makes very nice braille, the delays in unit availability are discouraging. And my Orbit has, I think, developed a couple stuck dots, so need to work that out with APH before too long. 

Regardless, to have two low-cost braille options is phenomenal. If you had told me 10 years ago this would happen,’I’d have been hopeful but frankly skeptical. Besides the issues you mention below, I think it’s important to remember what these devices are, and also what they are not. They’re low-cost ways to get braille into more hands, at minimal cost, and with basic though useful functionality. Extras are just gravy. Or icing on the cake, but not gravy on the cake, because that would be gross. 

On Jun 23, 2018, at 11:39 AM, erik burggraaf <erik@...> wrote:

Hello, I enjoyed reading your comments, and I agree with a lot of what you had to say. However, I disagree with your assertion that Braille me is quote not ready quote. based on your comments, the only potential showstopper that I see is the fact that some of the dots do not go all the way down below the faceplate. I would be interested to know how many Braille me units you tested, and whether this issue appears on any other units. if anybody else has tested a braille me, I hope you will chime in and let me know. if you were saying that batteries and charging devices were catching fire, ports were collapsing, or the device was particularly susceptible to damage by dropping, then I would say maybe we need to go back to the drawing board here. However, most of the issues are software and firmware related. Many of these things can be tweaked in the context of the current device.

It's a great rundown of potential bugs, and  feature suggestions. However, I seriously doubt that all users need access to all of the features you specified.  Not all users need access to 25 different languages for example. many languages will not be considered for addition, until the countries that predominantly use those languages consider adopting Braille me. language switching on the Fly is also something that can and should get better over time.

support for entering text and using modifier Keys is important to me, but may or may not be important to somebody else.

It seems to me that you got really excited about a great new device, and created some unnecessarily and perhaps unreasonably high expectations for what it could do, especially in a first release. I don't know how well the Braille me stacks up to the orbit in all of the areas you specified for example. However, the orbit is 2 years behind production, and almost no one can get their hands on it. to me, that indicates that something about the orbit or its processes is quoteaccess technology world. We know they will put out great Hardware with Hokie software, and then make software improvements catch-as-catch-can. But we know those improvements will come.by comparison, I recently did a customer training on a braille sense Polaris for work. the only fully functioning app in the Braille sense Polaris right now as far as I'm concerned is the word processor. However, even the word processor is limited for example, it is not currently possible to print from the word processor without installing a third party app. the rest of the office apps that come with Polaris sweet are read-only apps, which basically convert spreadsheets and slideshows into HTML format with no formatting, and allow a user to read the information. the Wi-Fi utility that comes with the sweet does not support connecting to WPA2 Enterprise networks, and such corporate networks need to be connected through Android stock Wi-Fi utility, which in the Polaris, has some minor accessibility issues. Browsing websites with the on-suite browser app is extremely barebones. it does not currently support navigating by headings, tables, lists, and other HTML attributes. the Polaris supports installing third-party synthesizers, however, third-party synthesizers can only be activated and used in the stock Android outside of the proprietary application sweet. so, as much as I like the hardware in the Braille sense Polaris, when I think of the functionality I get from my HTC phone connected to a braille Edge, versus what I get from the firmware in the Polaris, I cannot help being extremely disappointed, especially considering the difference in price. Does that mean the Braille sense Polaris is not ready? Well, in my mind, yes I think it does. However, the customer I trained absolutely loved it. despite the high price and the extreme limitations, it does everything she wanted it to do, and it does so very well. Should GW micro have waited until they had a fully functioning set of onsweet apps before releasing the Polaris? Yes, in my opinion they should. However, we have a happy customer now, and the product is generating income for the company, which can hopefully be used to justify further feature improvements down the road.

Hims is a known quantity.  We know they consistantly put out great hardware with hokie software and make substantial improvements over time.  Innovision is an unknown.  We don't know what to expect, although they have been very responsive to me personally despite the fact that I haven't been able to go forward.  I completely understand your disappointment, but I suggest patience as this is a first release of a new product and is not going to have everything all at once.  I believe innovision is able to fulfill orders at this point, which is more than the cometition can say.  Others on list are reporting that early hardware issues are being addressed, and generally I have not heard evidence that the company acted in bad faith other than one third hand complaint from some one high up in a blindness organisation with a vested interest in a direct competeter product.

So all in all, I think based on what you wrote, the assertion of not ready gives an entirely false impression while your document conveys worth while information. 

Best,

Erik

On June 23, 2018 9:20:17 AM "Josh Kennedy" <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:

here are all the reasons why braille me is not ready. note, this is also a google doc that i shared with innovision themselves. 
Note: if blind, turn on all or total punctuation in your screen reader in order to read this document. 
1. the five braille problem characters and capitalized letters or uppercase letters.
a. Currently for showing dot 4, dots 4-5, dots 2-4-6, dots 1-2-4-5-6, and dots 1-2-5-6, braille me expects to see @ ^ [ ] \ ... But many translators use ` ~ { } |  ... Braille me should also recognise these characters... 
b. Braille me if it sees `~{}| it just shows empty cells or spaces. 
c. Braille me shows empty cells for lowercase letters. Braille me should recognise lowercase letters because many translators use these, such as Braille Blaster.
D. When searching for text if for example, you want to find the word Tower. Braille me should, to be sure it finds what you want, it should look for: ,t[]  ,T[]  ,t{}    and ,T{} … 
2. suppress or remove all white space. 
a. extra carriage returns, blank pages in braille ready or embosser ready files, and multiple blank spaces take up space on 20 cell displays. Add menu options that when turned on will suppress extra space. 
3. page navigation.
a. Braille me should have page movement commands. Move by page should be defined as: move back or forward 1000 (one thousand) characters or until a formfeed character is encountered.
4. custom Bookmarks.
a. Add ability to add, clear, and jump to your own custom bookmarks in files.
5. Add ability to write in computer braille or raw text or .txt. There is no dot 7 so to compensate for this, make all uppercase computer braille letters blink up and down. blink time should be configurable. 
a. NVDA when using expand to computer braille should also have capital letters blink up and down.
6. NVDA.
a. blinking capital letters.
b. ability to write in braille into the computer.
c. ability to control computer with braille display keyboard, commands for function keys, alt, control, and so on. 
7. display emulation.
a. to work with jaws and other screen readers and devices, add option to emulate a Baum vario ultra 20 display, or baum displays. this should work with both USB and bluetooth, and be HID compliant.
8. adding languages.
a. add ability and documentation for adding languages. example, I want braille me's interface to be in German, or Icelandic braille. and I want to read braille and write in German or Icelandic braille in the editor. Or in Chinese and Japanese braille if I wish.
9. turn off all beeps and audio tones and audio indications.
a. the beeps are very loud and will be distracting in class, business and church environments. Add a menu option to turn these off. All beeps and audio tones emitted by braille me should have the ability to be completely turned off. Whether braille me is being turned on, shut down, errors occur. if braille me restarts or has a big error... no beeps should be heard. Braille me should be completely silent when beeps are off. 
10. better documentation for editing date and time. I had to play with braille me and teach myself how to edit date and time. explain to the user, first use cursor router buttons to place the cursor on the first number, use navigation buttons to set the first number. use cursor router buttons to move to the next number and edit it until time and date are set the way you wish and then press enter or dot8. 
11. When braille me turns on it displays “menu”, 
And then you have to press “enter” before navigating. To save time, as soon as Braille Me turns on, let us navigate right away. Also add first letter navigation, f, for file manager, s for settings and all menu options that start with s. To edit time easier, let us enter time and date using the braille keyboard such as: “#20:30  using dropped numbers and dots 1-5-6 for colon… In other words, computer braille. 
12. Ability to create, rename, and delete folders.
1. Ability to cut, copy and paste files into and out of user-created folders.
13. Inconsistent dot height.
1. Many dots are higher and lower than other dots. Additionally, some dots are at a slight angle in relation to other dots. Also when blank cells are created such as for spaces, or the absence of dots in order to create letters, example: If I write the letter m, dots 1-3-4… dots 2, 5, 6 stick out above the faceplate perhaps by one or two millimeters. This makes reading difficult. Please if you have to re-design braille me to make this change, but make it so that if dots are not needed such as in the letter m, dots 1-3-4, where dots 2-5-6 are not needed, same goes for spaces, that they are completely below the faceplate so that unused dots are not even felt or touched by the user.




Re: Windows 10 autoplay notification

Brian Crabtree
 

Chris, your suggestion of extending the time for which notifications show is the solution. I can then focus the pop-up with Windows Logo key plus V.

Thanks very much.


Re: Dealing With Windows On Top

Brian Crabtree
 

I wonder if this is the same problem that I was asking about and that the OP is referring to pop-up windows which are notifications.

If so, the solution suggested, which worked for me, was to extend the time for which pop-up notifications are shown, so you have the time to reach them using the Windows Logo key plus V.

To extend the time for which a pop-up shows, use Windows Logo key plus U to open the Ease of Access Centre, then tab down to "Show notifications for" then Alt plus down arrow to open the drop-down, arrow to (say) the "30 seconds" option and press Enter to accept it.


Re: braille me display not quite ready

erik burggraaf <erik@...>
 

Hello, I enjoyed reading your comments, and I agree with a lot of what you had to say. However, I disagree with your assertion that Braille me is quote not ready quote. based on your comments, the only potential showstopper that I see is the fact that some of the dots do not go all the way down below the faceplate. I would be interested to know how many Braille me units you tested, and whether this issue appears on any other units. if anybody else has tested a braille me, I hope you will chime in and let me know. if you were saying that batteries and charging devices were catching fire, ports were collapsing, or the device was particularly susceptible to damage by dropping, then I would say maybe we need to go back to the drawing board here. However, most of the issues are software and firmware related. Many of these things can be tweaked in the context of the current device.

It's a great rundown of potential bugs, and  feature suggestions. However, I seriously doubt that all users need access to all of the features you specified.  Not all users need access to 25 different languages for example. many languages will not be considered for addition, until the countries that predominantly use those languages consider adopting Braille me. language switching on the Fly is also something that can and should get better over time.

support for entering text and using modifier Keys is important to me, but may or may not be important to somebody else.

It seems to me that you got really excited about a great new device, and created some unnecessarily and perhaps unreasonably high expectations for what it could do, especially in a first release. I don't know how well the Braille me stacks up to the orbit in all of the areas you specified for example. However, the orbit is 2 years behind production, and almost no one can get their hands on it. to me, that indicates that something about the orbit or its processes is quoteaccess technology world. We know they will put out great Hardware with Hokie software, and then make software improvements catch-as-catch-can. But we know those improvements will come.by comparison, I recently did a customer training on a braille sense Polaris for work. the only fully functioning app in the Braille sense Polaris right now as far as I'm concerned is the word processor. However, even the word processor is limited for example, it is not currently possible to print from the word processor without installing a third party app. the rest of the office apps that come with Polaris sweet are read-only apps, which basically convert spreadsheets and slideshows into HTML format with no formatting, and allow a user to read the information. the Wi-Fi utility that comes with the sweet does not support connecting to WPA2 Enterprise networks, and such corporate networks need to be connected through Android stock Wi-Fi utility, which in the Polaris, has some minor accessibility issues. Browsing websites with the on-suite browser app is extremely barebones. it does not currently support navigating by headings, tables, lists, and other HTML attributes. the Polaris supports installing third-party synthesizers, however, third-party synthesizers can only be activated and used in the stock Android outside of the proprietary application sweet. so, as much as I like the hardware in the Braille sense Polaris, when I think of the functionality I get from my HTC phone connected to a braille Edge, versus what I get from the firmware in the Polaris, I cannot help being extremely disappointed, especially considering the difference in price. Does that mean the Braille sense Polaris is not ready? Well, in my mind, yes I think it does. However, the customer I trained absolutely loved it. despite the high price and the extreme limitations, it does everything she wanted it to do, and it does so very well. Should GW micro have waited until they had a fully functioning set of onsweet apps before releasing the Polaris? Yes, in my opinion they should. However, we have a happy customer now, and the product is generating income for the company, which can hopefully be used to justify further feature improvements down the road.

Hims is a known quantity.  We know they consistantly put out great hardware with hokie software and make substantial improvements over time.  Innovision is an unknown.  We don't know what to expect, although they have been very responsive to me personally despite the fact that I haven't been able to go forward.  I completely understand your disappointment, but I suggest patience as this is a first release of a new product and is not going to have everything all at once.  I believe innovision is able to fulfill orders at this point, which is more than the cometition can say.  Others on list are reporting that early hardware issues are being addressed, and generally I have not heard evidence that the company acted in bad faith other than one third hand complaint from some one high up in a blindness organisation with a vested interest in a direct competeter product.

So all in all, I think based on what you wrote, the assertion of not ready gives an entirely false impression while your document conveys worth while information. 

Best,

Erik

On June 23, 2018 9:20:17 AM "Josh Kennedy" <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:

here are all the reasons why braille me is not ready. note, this is also a google doc that i shared with innovision themselves. 
Note: if blind, turn on all or total punctuation in your screen reader in order to read this document. 
1. the five braille problem characters and capitalized letters or uppercase letters.
a. Currently for showing dot 4, dots 4-5, dots 2-4-6, dots 1-2-4-5-6, and dots 1-2-5-6, braille me expects to see @ ^ [ ] \ ... But many translators use ` ~ { } |  ... Braille me should also recognise these characters... 
b. Braille me if it sees `~{}| it just shows empty cells or spaces. 
c. Braille me shows empty cells for lowercase letters. Braille me should recognise lowercase letters because many translators use these, such as Braille Blaster.
D. When searching for text if for example, you want to find the word Tower. Braille me should, to be sure it finds what you want, it should look for: ,t[]  ,T[]  ,t{}    and ,T{} … 
2. suppress or remove all white space. 
a. extra carriage returns, blank pages in braille ready or embosser ready files, and multiple blank spaces take up space on 20 cell displays. Add menu options that when turned on will suppress extra space. 
3. page navigation.
a. Braille me should have page movement commands. Move by page should be defined as: move back or forward 1000 (one thousand) characters or until a formfeed character is encountered.
4. custom Bookmarks.
a. Add ability to add, clear, and jump to your own custom bookmarks in files.
5. Add ability to write in computer braille or raw text or .txt. There is no dot 7 so to compensate for this, make all uppercase computer braille letters blink up and down. blink time should be configurable. 
a. NVDA when using expand to computer braille should also have capital letters blink up and down.
6. NVDA.
a. blinking capital letters.
b. ability to write in braille into the computer.
c. ability to control computer with braille display keyboard, commands for function keys, alt, control, and so on. 
7. display emulation.
a. to work with jaws and other screen readers and devices, add option to emulate a Baum vario ultra 20 display, or baum displays. this should work with both USB and bluetooth, and be HID compliant.
8. adding languages.
a. add ability and documentation for adding languages. example, I want braille me's interface to be in German, or Icelandic braille. and I want to read braille and write in German or Icelandic braille in the editor. Or in Chinese and Japanese braille if I wish.
9. turn off all beeps and audio tones and audio indications.
a. the beeps are very loud and will be distracting in class, business and church environments. Add a menu option to turn these off. All beeps and audio tones emitted by braille me should have the ability to be completely turned off. Whether braille me is being turned on, shut down, errors occur. if braille me restarts or has a big error... no beeps should be heard. Braille me should be completely silent when beeps are off. 
10. better documentation for editing date and time. I had to play with braille me and teach myself how to edit date and time. explain to the user, first use cursor router buttons to place the cursor on the first number, use navigation buttons to set the first number. use cursor router buttons to move to the next number and edit it until time and date are set the way you wish and then press enter or dot8. 
11. When braille me turns on it displays “menu”, 
And then you have to press “enter” before navigating. To save time, as soon as Braille Me turns on, let us navigate right away. Also add first letter navigation, f, for file manager, s for settings and all menu options that start with s. To edit time easier, let us enter time and date using the braille keyboard such as: “#20:30  using dropped numbers and dots 1-5-6 for colon… In other words, computer braille. 
12. Ability to create, rename, and delete folders.
1. Ability to cut, copy and paste files into and out of user-created folders.
13. Inconsistent dot height.
1. Many dots are higher and lower than other dots. Additionally, some dots are at a slight angle in relation to other dots. Also when blank cells are created such as for spaces, or the absence of dots in order to create letters, example: If I write the letter m, dots 1-3-4… dots 2, 5, 6 stick out above the faceplate perhaps by one or two millimeters. This makes reading difficult. Please if you have to re-design braille me to make this change, but make it so that if dots are not needed such as in the letter m, dots 1-3-4, where dots 2-5-6 are not needed, same goes for spaces, that they are completely below the faceplate so that unused dots are not even felt or touched by the user.



Re: puran Utilities help needed please

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

But one presumes from the forgoing that one can script it to run things on certain conditions. If its like Ccleaner only the paid for version allows such things for that.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
This message sent from a Windows XP machine!

----- Original Message -----
From: "john s" <jschwery@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, June 23, 2018 10:37 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] puran Utilities help needed please


Brian, it is similar to CCleaner.

At 04:38 AM 6/23/2018, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io, wrote:
I don't know this program, what is it?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dennis L" <dennisl1982@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, June 23, 2018 6:53 AM
Subject: [nvda] puran Utilities help needed please


Hi, where do you get the set files to automatically do what you want? I'm
wanting one that will automatically delete browser history when it closes.
Thanks for the help.









John



Re: braille me display not quite ready

Fernando Apan
 

Hi. Thanks a lot for sharing this note. It will be very useful for those of us thinking on geting a braille me display...
Cheers.

Fernando Apan.

El 23/06/2018 a las 08:19 a.m., Josh Kennedy escribió:
here are all the reasons why braille me is not ready. note, this is also a google doc that i shared with innovision themselves. 
Note: if blind, turn on all or total punctuation in your screen reader in order to read this document. 
1. the five braille problem characters and capitalized letters or uppercase letters.
a. Currently for showing dot 4, dots 4-5, dots 2-4-6, dots 1-2-4-5-6, and dots 1-2-5-6, braille me expects to see @ ^ [ ] \ ... But many translators use ` ~ { } |  ... Braille me should also recognise these characters... 
b. Braille me if it sees `~{}| it just shows empty cells or spaces. 
c. Braille me shows empty cells for lowercase letters. Braille me should recognise lowercase letters because many translators use these, such as Braille Blaster.
D. When searching for text if for example, you want to find the word Tower. Braille me should, to be sure it finds what you want, it should look for: ,t[]  ,T[]  ,t{}    and ,T{} … 
2. suppress or remove all white space. 
a. extra carriage returns, blank pages in braille ready or embosser ready files, and multiple blank spaces take up space on 20 cell displays. Add menu options that when turned on will suppress extra space. 
3. page navigation.
a. Braille me should have page movement commands. Move by page should be defined as: move back or forward 1000 (one thousand) characters or until a formfeed character is encountered.
4. custom Bookmarks.
a. Add ability to add, clear, and jump to your own custom bookmarks in files.
5. Add ability to write in computer braille or raw text or .txt. There is no dot 7 so to compensate for this, make all uppercase computer braille letters blink up and down. blink time should be configurable. 
a. NVDA when using expand to computer braille should also have capital letters blink up and down.
6. NVDA.
a. blinking capital letters.
b. ability to write in braille into the computer.
c. ability to control computer with braille display keyboard, commands for function keys, alt, control, and so on. 
7. display emulation.
a. to work with jaws and other screen readers and devices, add option to emulate a Baum vario ultra 20 display, or baum displays. this should work with both USB and bluetooth, and be HID compliant.
8. adding languages.
a. add ability and documentation for adding languages. example, I want braille me's interface to be in German, or Icelandic braille. and I want to read braille and write in German or Icelandic braille in the editor. Or in Chinese and Japanese braille if I wish.
9. turn off all beeps and audio tones and audio indications.
a. the beeps are very loud and will be distracting in class, business and church environments. Add a menu option to turn these off. All beeps and audio tones emitted by braille me should have the ability to be completely turned off. Whether braille me is being turned on, shut down, errors occur. if braille me restarts or has a big error... no beeps should be heard. Braille me should be completely silent when beeps are off. 
10. better documentation for editing date and time. I had to play with braille me and teach myself how to edit date and time. explain to the user, first use cursor router buttons to place the cursor on the first number, use navigation buttons to set the first number. use cursor router buttons to move to the next number and edit it until time and date are set the way you wish and then press enter or dot8. 
11. When braille me turns on it displays “menu”, 
And then you have to press “enter” before navigating. To save time, as soon as Braille Me turns on, let us navigate right away. Also add first letter navigation, f, for file manager, s for settings and all menu options that start with s. To edit time easier, let us enter time and date using the braille keyboard such as: “#20:30  using dropped numbers and dots 1-5-6 for colon… In other words, computer braille. 
12. Ability to create, rename, and delete folders.
1. Ability to cut, copy and paste files into and out of user-created folders.
13. Inconsistent dot height.
1. Many dots are higher and lower than other dots. Additionally, some dots are at a slight angle in relation to other dots. Also when blank cells are created such as for spaces, or the absence of dots in order to create letters, example: If I write the letter m, dots 1-3-4… dots 2, 5, 6 stick out above the faceplate perhaps by one or two millimeters. This makes reading difficult. Please if you have to re-design braille me to make this change, but make it so that if dots are not needed such as in the letter m, dots 1-3-4, where dots 2-5-6 are not needed, same goes for spaces, that they are completely below the faceplate so that unused dots are not even felt or touched by the user.




Re: Updated the wiki

 

When logged into git hub, the edit button is above the page title. I hope this helps!


Re: braille me display not quite ready

Josh Kennedy
 

here are all the reasons why braille me is not ready. note, this is also a google doc that i shared with innovision themselves. 
Note: if blind, turn on all or total punctuation in your screen reader in order to read this document. 
1. the five braille problem characters and capitalized letters or uppercase letters.
a. Currently for showing dot 4, dots 4-5, dots 2-4-6, dots 1-2-4-5-6, and dots 1-2-5-6, braille me expects to see @ ^ [ ] \ ... But many translators use ` ~ { } |  ... Braille me should also recognise these characters... 
b. Braille me if it sees `~{}| it just shows empty cells or spaces. 
c. Braille me shows empty cells for lowercase letters. Braille me should recognise lowercase letters because many translators use these, such as Braille Blaster.
D. When searching for text if for example, you want to find the word Tower. Braille me should, to be sure it finds what you want, it should look for: ,t[]  ,T[]  ,t{}    and ,T{} … 
2. suppress or remove all white space. 
a. extra carriage returns, blank pages in braille ready or embosser ready files, and multiple blank spaces take up space on 20 cell displays. Add menu options that when turned on will suppress extra space. 
3. page navigation.
a. Braille me should have page movement commands. Move by page should be defined as: move back or forward 1000 (one thousand) characters or until a formfeed character is encountered.
4. custom Bookmarks.
a. Add ability to add, clear, and jump to your own custom bookmarks in files.
5. Add ability to write in computer braille or raw text or .txt. There is no dot 7 so to compensate for this, make all uppercase computer braille letters blink up and down. blink time should be configurable. 
a. NVDA when using expand to computer braille should also have capital letters blink up and down.
6. NVDA.
a. blinking capital letters.
b. ability to write in braille into the computer.
c. ability to control computer with braille display keyboard, commands for function keys, alt, control, and so on. 
7. display emulation.
a. to work with jaws and other screen readers and devices, add option to emulate a Baum vario ultra 20 display, or baum displays. this should work with both USB and bluetooth, and be HID compliant.
8. adding languages.
a. add ability and documentation for adding languages. example, I want braille me's interface to be in German, or Icelandic braille. and I want to read braille and write in German or Icelandic braille in the editor. Or in Chinese and Japanese braille if I wish.
9. turn off all beeps and audio tones and audio indications.
a. the beeps are very loud and will be distracting in class, business and church environments. Add a menu option to turn these off. All beeps and audio tones emitted by braille me should have the ability to be completely turned off. Whether braille me is being turned on, shut down, errors occur. if braille me restarts or has a big error... no beeps should be heard. Braille me should be completely silent when beeps are off. 
10. better documentation for editing date and time. I had to play with braille me and teach myself how to edit date and time. explain to the user, first use cursor router buttons to place the cursor on the first number, use navigation buttons to set the first number. use cursor router buttons to move to the next number and edit it until time and date are set the way you wish and then press enter or dot8. 
11. When braille me turns on it displays “menu”, 
And then you have to press “enter” before navigating. To save time, as soon as Braille Me turns on, let us navigate right away. Also add first letter navigation, f, for file manager, s for settings and all menu options that start with s. To edit time easier, let us enter time and date using the braille keyboard such as: “#20:30  using dropped numbers and dots 1-5-6 for colon… In other words, computer braille. 
12. Ability to create, rename, and delete folders.
1. Ability to cut, copy and paste files into and out of user-created folders.
13. Inconsistent dot height.
1. Many dots are higher and lower than other dots. Additionally, some dots are at a slight angle in relation to other dots. Also when blank cells are created such as for spaces, or the absence of dots in order to create letters, example: If I write the letter m, dots 1-3-4… dots 2, 5, 6 stick out above the faceplate perhaps by one or two millimeters. This makes reading difficult. Please if you have to re-design braille me to make this change, but make it so that if dots are not needed such as in the letter m, dots 1-3-4, where dots 2-5-6 are not needed, same goes for spaces, that they are completely below the faceplate so that unused dots are not even felt or touched by the user.