Date   

Re: making the menus in libre office talk

Chris Mullins
 

Hi
Odd that it's just the menus. Is this a situation where Java RTE and Access bridge are required to obtain access to the menus?

Cheers
Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Rosemarie Chavarria
Sent: 30 June 2018 18:11
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] making the menus in libre office talk

Hi, everyone,


I have a friend who just got a refurvished computer from Computers for
the Blind in Texas. She said they installed libre office on it but she
can't make the menus talk. Other than that, she said she can work with
the writer word processer and the spread sheet with no problem. Is there
a way to make the menus talk?


Thanks for your help in advance.


Rosemarie


Re: nvdaes add-ons updated #addonrelease

Noelia Ruiz
 

Hope this can be done.

Cheers

El 30/06/2018 a las 21:28, Brian Vogel escribió:
On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 12:18 pm, Noelia Ruiz wrote:
NVDA has an open issue for this and I think this could better
addressed there.
Your call.  I have no idea whether this would ever be made core functionality of NVDA or not, and given the history of add-ons in general, I think not.
--
*Brian**-*Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134
/Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong./
          ~ H.L. Mencken, AKA /The Sage of Baltimore/


Re: nvdaes add-ons updated #addonrelease

 

On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 12:18 pm, Noelia Ruiz wrote:
NVDA has an open issue for this and I think this could better addressed there.
Your call.  I have no idea whether this would ever be made core functionality of NVDA or not, and given the history of add-ons in general, I think not.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

     Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong.

          ~ H.L. Mencken, AKA The Sage of Baltimore

 

 


Re: nvdaes add-ons updated #addonrelease

Noelia Ruiz
 

Hi, as I said, I'm not sure about possible drawbacks of implementing this in several add-ons. This could be relevant, so for now, while I'm not sure about possible concerns, I won't implement it.
NVDA has an open issue for this and I think this could better addressed there.

Cheers

El 30/06/2018 a las 21:10, Brian Vogel escribió:
On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 08:30 am, Noelia Ruiz wrote:
It's in add-ons, not in NVDA itself.
That does, and should, matter to you as a developer (and, for the record, I once was one in a former life).
As far as the end-user is concerned, the locus of the detection of "new update available," is utterly irrelevant.  All I was trying to point out is that the mechanism is in use and has been in use for some time, and I imagine those using it would be willing to help out other add-on writers who wished to do the same.
--
*Brian**-*Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134
/Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong./
          ~ H.L. Mencken, AKA /The Sage of Baltimore/


Re: nvdaes add-ons updated #addonrelease

 

On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 08:30 am, Noelia Ruiz wrote:
It's in add-ons, not in NVDA itself.
That does, and should, matter to you as a developer (and, for the record, I once was one in a former life).

As far as the end-user is concerned, the locus of the detection of "new update available," is utterly irrelevant.  All I was trying to point out is that the mechanism is in use and has been in use for some time, and I imagine those using it would be willing to help out other add-on writers who wished to do the same.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

     Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong.

          ~ H.L. Mencken, AKA The Sage of Baltimore

 

 


Golden Cursor: Revisited

Richard Wells
 

Could the Golden Cursor key strokes be reassigned to ALT+NVDA+C, etc? Are there already add-ons that use this model?


Re: I've had it with Firefox

Gene
 

That is not a conclusion supported by the way programs work on various computers.  the reason beta testing is done on a large number of computers is that, at times, a program will work fine on one computer and, for unknown reasons, will not work properly on another computer, at times even an identical or almost identical one.  Once such problems are discovered, they need to be corrected.  That is why I discussed inadequate beta testing in my last message.  We have no evidence about what is causing the problems and until we have some sort of evidence, such as, many people report that they installed or uninstalled this or that on their computers and it is the same program or programs, or did the same things regarding their computer such as maintenance that those who are not having the problem didn't do, there is no way to meaningfully speculate.  I have no objection to people asking for people to report on things, such as the bloatware discussion, but I doubt the problem is something like bloatware. 
 
I don't have the technical knowledge to know what various things might cause such a problem, a chip set, a program installed and uninstalled,
with many people who have the problem having done this, or something else.  Or, the problem may be some way that UIA interacts with Quantum on certain machines for reasons as yet unknown. 
 
To be clear, I'm not objecting to speculation about bloatware and, if it leads to reports from people implying that there may be a connection, that's fine.  But I'm saying that I doubt it's bloatware and probably not anything obvious. 
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
From: Jackie
Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2018 11:46 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] I've had it with Firefox

Yes. But many who are running the latest Firefox & using a
screenreader are not reporting such problems, which suggests that this
is not entirely an ff-screenreader problem. If everyone using NVDA
were having trouble, I would say yes--of course--there is some sort of
problem occurring w/that interaction. But that is clearly not the
case. So there's something else afoot here. & it may or may not have
anything to do w/NVDA. Obviously it's difficult to take the
screenreader out of the equation, though perhaps experimenting
w/Narrator, especially if on Windows 10, to see if FF acts similarly
might be instructive. Sometimes malware ensconces itself in only the
default browser. Sometimes a large number of temp files can slow it
drastically which can accumulate over time when using a browser
consistently & not performing maintenance. There are lots of factors
to consider. Those are just a few off the top & before coffee. & since
not everyone who's using NVDA is experiencing these symmptoms, they
should be, as should others. I don't think, given the circumstances,
it can be concluded w/any degree of certainty that this is a problem
between NVDA & FF exclusively.

On 6/29/18, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> No one has said their computer is slow.  They say it is slow running
> quantum.  They switch browsers because they get the performance they
> expect.
>
> Gene
> ----- Original Message ------
>
> From: Shaun Everiss
> Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2018 12:20 AM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [nvda] I've had it with Firefox
>
>
> Well to be honest, every thing running even if its a program in your
> notification tray should be treated the same.
>
> So on this windows 7 box right now I have 5 windows open.
>
> Not all of these are windows, what users tend to do me included is treat
> opened windows as just opened program, every service, every startup
> every notification icon should be treated the same.
>
> Its a program taking up resources.
>
> A screen reader is another open window.
>
> So when you say a pc is being slow, it may be fine without a screen
> reader running on it.
>
>
>
>
> On 6/30/2018 2:44 PM, Jackie wrote:
>> Gene, the truth is that:
>> a) a screenreader, by its very nature, is going to slow down a machine
>> to varying degrees; &
>> b) Some things having to do w/those varying degrees are other programs
>> running on a machine taking up memory, etc. Sighted users also notice
>> browser slowdowns when malware or too many other programs are present.
>> Believe me, I know--I've cleaned literally hundreds of them. It's also
>> worth cleaning out temporary files, as these, too, can slow down
>> browsing.
>>
>> It would be interesting to look at programs running on folks' machines
>> who are having trouble vs those who are not to see if any sort of
>> common ground can be found. The opinion is not necessarily a hard &
>> fast 1, just something I've noted from fixing lots & lots of computers
>> for both blind & sighted folks alike. I guess what I'm saying is I'm
>> not sure the screenreader is actually really involved, except to the
>> extent that screenreaders slow down a computer, or, if it is, that
>> other factors may be of far greater importance.
>>
>> On 6/29/18, Lino Morales <linomorales001@...> wrote:
>>> I agree with Gene here. Office 365 really was the only thing on here and
>>> a
>>> couple of HP MS Store apps since this PC is an HP.
>>>
>>> Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for
>>> Windows
>>> 10
>>>
>>> ________________________________
>>> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Gene
>>> <gsasner@...>
>>> Sent: Friday, June 29, 2018 5:44:59 PM
>>> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
>>> Subject: Re: [nvda] I've had it with Firefox
>>>
>>> I don't see any basis for forming any but a very tenuous opinion that
>>> bloatware might be the cause of this problem.  Why would bloatware
>>> interfere
>>> with the working of a screen-reader with a browser?  the problem started
>>> when Quantum was developed.  Bloatware, uninstalling office, etc. has no
>>> evident connection with the problem.  But to try to get evidence, are
>>> those
>>> experiencing a problem using a machine with bloatware or on which a
>>> significant amount has been removed?  Conversely what about those
>>> without
>>> the problem?  Does your machine have or has it had bloatware?
>>>
>>> Gene
>>> ----- Original Message -----
>>> From: Lino Morales<mailto:linomorales001@...>
>>> Sent: Friday, June 29, 2018 4:10 PM
>>> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
>>> Subject: Re: [nvda] I've had it with Firefox
>>>
>>>
>>> I took Office 365 off my computer last year when I got it cause I can’t
>>> afford the subscription.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for
>>> Windows
>>> 10
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> ________________________________
>>> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
>>> <nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> on behalf of Jackie
>>> <abletec@...<mailto:abletec@...>>
>>> Sent: Friday, June 29, 2018 2:23:54 PM
>>> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
>>> Subject: Re: [nvda] I've had it with Firefox
>>>
>>> I don't think that concluding there's an interaction w/accessibility
>>> technology in terms of FF's slowness is necessarily valid. My own
>>> tendency is to feel that there may be something like vendorware (yall
>>> know--the crap vendors load onto their machines) or malware (perhaps
>>> vendorware & malware are 1 & the same)--might be responsible. In terms
>>> of not running any addons, you should really check, because sometimes
>>> Office, etc, installs addons you may not even be aware of unless you
>>> go in & look. Mostly just thinkin out loud on a Friday, & that's
>>> always dangerous for me.
>>>
>>> On 6/29/18, Lino Morales <linomorales001@...> wrote:
>>>> So do I. For now its making browsing much faster. Of course I’ll
>>>> continue
>>>> to
>>>> use Edge for some things, but I’m so used to the FF layout.
>>>>
>>>> Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for
>>>> Windows
>>>> 10
>>>>
>>>> ________________________________
>>>> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Rosemarie
>>>> Chavarria <knitqueen2007@...>
>>>> Sent: Friday, June 29, 2018 12:43:43 AM
>>>> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
>>>> Subject: Re: [nvda] I've had it with Firefox
>>>>
>>>> Hi, Lino,
>>>>
>>>> I use waterfox and it works great for me. It's a bit faster than
>>>> firefox
>>>> and
>>>> I like that.
>>>>
>>>> Rosemarie
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of
>>>> Lino
>>>> Morales
>>>> Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2018 10:47 AM
>>>> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
>>>> Subject: [nvda] I've had it with Firefox
>>>>
>>>> Well like I said in my subject line I’ve had I
>>>> with firefox. Every site is slowith NVDa even the mobile FB site. I bit
>>>> the
>>>> bullet and downloaded Waterfox. Seems to work much better. May I’ll
>>>> wait
>>>> ti
>>>> FF 70 and see how fast that will be. So long FF. Me and WF and Edge are
>>>> good
>>>> buddies.
>>>>
>>>> Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for
>>>> Windows
>>>> 10
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Remember! Friends Help Friends Be Cybersafe
>>> Jackie McBride
>>> Helping Cybercrime Victims 1 Person at a Time
>>> https://brighter-vision.com
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>


--
Remember! Friends Help Friends Be Cybersafe
Jackie McBride
Helping Cybercrime Victims 1 Person at a Time
https://brighter-vision.com




Re: making the menus in libre office talk

Rosemarie Chavarria
 

Hi,


I'll ask her waht version of libre office she's using. They might have installed an older version but I don't know for sure.




On 6/30/2018 10:20 AM, Mark wrote:

Hi using windows 10 with the latest NVDA and LibreOffice 6.0

And the menus talk fine for me make sure  they are using LibreOffice 6.0

Mark.

Tune in to the number one station on the web TAFN radio
http://tafn.org.uk/listen
Or for our catch up service on demand http://www.tafn.org.uk/on-demand
or for our upcoming weekly schedule
http://www.tafn.org.uk/radio
part of the accessible friends network
www.tafn.org.uk
Registered UK Charity: #1108043.
Sent from Windows 10 Mail.

 

From: Rosemarie Chavarria
Sent: 30 June 2018 18:11
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] making the menus in libre office talk

 

Hi, everyone,

 

 

I have a friend who just got a refurvished computer from Computers for

the Blind in Texas. She said they installed libre office on it but she

can't make the menus talk. Other than that, she said she can work with

the writer word processer and the spread sheet with no problem. Is there

a way to make the menus talk?

 

 

Thanks for your help in advance.

 

 

Rosemarie

 

 

 

 

 

 



Re: nvdaes add-ons updated #addonrelease

Noelia Ruiz
 

Hi, there is an issue opened for this:
You can provide feed-back there too:
https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/8408

I don't know how should be implemented. For instance, conflictive gestures (not just assigned to add-ons) could be shown in the Input Gestures dialog, each one in its own category. Other option would be a dialog showing gestures in conflict with a combo box to choose one of the assigned commands, not the others. But I tend to think it would be better to show them in the standard Input gestures dialog.
These are aspects to decide. 😔

Thanks

El 30/06/2018 a las 19:23, Richard Wells escribió:
I believe what was being requested though, was add-ons being able to detect hotkey conflicts and notify the user. I definitely would love to see this feature. It would have saved me some grief while trouble-shooting why Clip Contents Designer suddenly stopped working. I did need to update it, but evidently, which ever add-on gets updated last takes over functionality. I first thought that NVDA upgrade broke it, but, removing Golden Cursor resolved it permanently.
On 6/30/2018 10:22 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
NVDA does provide a mechanism for add-ons to self-monitor as being updated and to notify the user that these are available and ask if they want to install the update.

I've got several installed that have done this in the past, and the Windows 10 App Essentials add-on did just that this morning.

I don't know what's involved in getting this functionality integrated into a given add-on, as I don't write them, but Joseph Lee and several others definitely do.  There is no conflict between add-ons as far as each having this self-monitoring feature.

--

*Brian**-*Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134

/Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong./

          ~ H.L. Mencken, AKA /The Sage of Baltimore/


Re: nvdaes add-ons updated #addonrelease

Richard Wells
 

I believe what was being requested though, was add-ons being able to detect hotkey conflicts and notify the user. I definitely would love to see this feature. It would have saved me some grief while trouble-shooting why Clip Contents Designer suddenly stopped working. I did need to update it, but evidently, which ever add-on gets updated last takes over functionality. I first thought that NVDA upgrade broke it, but, removing Golden Cursor resolved it permanently.


On 6/30/2018 10:22 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
NVDA does provide a mechanism for add-ons to self-monitor as being updated and to notify the user that these are available and ask if they want to install the update.

I've got several installed that have done this in the past, and the Windows 10 App Essentials add-on did just that this morning.

I don't know what's involved in getting this functionality integrated into a given add-on, as I don't write them, but Joseph Lee and several others definitely do.  There is no conflict between add-ons as far as each having this self-monitoring feature.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

     Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong.

          ~ H.L. Mencken, AKA The Sage of Baltimore

 

 



Re: making the menus in libre office talk

Mark <mark@...>
 

Hi using windows 10 with the latest NVDA and LibreOffice 6.0

And the menus talk fine for me make sure  they are using LibreOffice 6.0

Mark.

Tune in to the number one station on the web TAFN radio
http://tafn.org.uk/listen
Or for our catch up service on demand http://www.tafn.org.uk/on-demand
or for our upcoming weekly schedule
http://www.tafn.org.uk/radio
part of the accessible friends network
www.tafn.org.uk
Registered UK Charity: #1108043.
Sent from Windows 10 Mail.

 

From: Rosemarie Chavarria
Sent: 30 June 2018 18:11
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] making the menus in libre office talk

 

Hi, everyone,

 

 

I have a friend who just got a refurvished computer from Computers for

the Blind in Texas. She said they installed libre office on it but she

can't make the menus talk. Other than that, she said she can work with

the writer word processer and the spread sheet with no problem. Is there

a way to make the menus talk?

 

 

Thanks for your help in advance.

 

 

Rosemarie

 

 

 

 

 

 


making the menus in libre office talk

Rosemarie Chavarria
 

Hi, everyone,


I have a friend who just got a refurvished computer from Computers for the Blind in Texas. She said they installed libre office on it but she can't make the menus talk. Other than that, she said she can work with the writer word processer and the spread sheet with no problem. Is there a way to make the menus talk?


Thanks for your help in advance.


Rosemarie


Re: I've had it with Firefox

Jackie
 

Yes. But many who are running the latest Firefox & using a
screenreader are not reporting such problems, which suggests that this
is not entirely an ff-screenreader problem. If everyone using NVDA
were having trouble, I would say yes--of course--there is some sort of
problem occurring w/that interaction. But that is clearly not the
case. So there's something else afoot here. & it may or may not have
anything to do w/NVDA. Obviously it's difficult to take the
screenreader out of the equation, though perhaps experimenting
w/Narrator, especially if on Windows 10, to see if FF acts similarly
might be instructive. Sometimes malware ensconces itself in only the
default browser. Sometimes a large number of temp files can slow it
drastically which can accumulate over time when using a browser
consistently & not performing maintenance. There are lots of factors
to consider. Those are just a few off the top & before coffee. & since
not everyone who's using NVDA is experiencing these symmptoms, they
should be, as should others. I don't think, given the circumstances,
it can be concluded w/any degree of certainty that this is a problem
between NVDA & FF exclusively.

On 6/29/18, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
No one has said their computer is slow. They say it is slow running
quantum. They switch browsers because they get the performance they
expect.

Gene
----- Original Message ------

From: Shaun Everiss
Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2018 12:20 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] I've had it with Firefox


Well to be honest, every thing running even if its a program in your
notification tray should be treated the same.

So on this windows 7 box right now I have 5 windows open.

Not all of these are windows, what users tend to do me included is treat
opened windows as just opened program, every service, every startup
every notification icon should be treated the same.

Its a program taking up resources.

A screen reader is another open window.

So when you say a pc is being slow, it may be fine without a screen
reader running on it.




On 6/30/2018 2:44 PM, Jackie wrote:
Gene, the truth is that:
a) a screenreader, by its very nature, is going to slow down a machine
to varying degrees; &
b) Some things having to do w/those varying degrees are other programs
running on a machine taking up memory, etc. Sighted users also notice
browser slowdowns when malware or too many other programs are present.
Believe me, I know--I've cleaned literally hundreds of them. It's also
worth cleaning out temporary files, as these, too, can slow down
browsing.

It would be interesting to look at programs running on folks' machines
who are having trouble vs those who are not to see if any sort of
common ground can be found. The opinion is not necessarily a hard &
fast 1, just something I've noted from fixing lots & lots of computers
for both blind & sighted folks alike. I guess what I'm saying is I'm
not sure the screenreader is actually really involved, except to the
extent that screenreaders slow down a computer, or, if it is, that
other factors may be of far greater importance.

On 6/29/18, Lino Morales <linomorales001@...> wrote:
I agree with Gene here. Office 365 really was the only thing on here and
a
couple of HP MS Store apps since this PC is an HP.

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for
Windows
10

________________________________
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Gene
<gsasner@...>
Sent: Friday, June 29, 2018 5:44:59 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] I've had it with Firefox

I don't see any basis for forming any but a very tenuous opinion that
bloatware might be the cause of this problem. Why would bloatware
interfere
with the working of a screen-reader with a browser? the problem started
when Quantum was developed. Bloatware, uninstalling office, etc. has no
evident connection with the problem. But to try to get evidence, are
those
experiencing a problem using a machine with bloatware or on which a
significant amount has been removed? Conversely what about those
without
the problem? Does your machine have or has it had bloatware?

Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Lino Morales<mailto:linomorales001@...>
Sent: Friday, June 29, 2018 4:10 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [nvda] I've had it with Firefox


I took Office 365 off my computer last year when I got it cause I can’t
afford the subscription.



Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for
Windows
10



________________________________
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
<nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> on behalf of Jackie
<abletec@...<mailto:abletec@...>>
Sent: Friday, June 29, 2018 2:23:54 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [nvda] I've had it with Firefox

I don't think that concluding there's an interaction w/accessibility
technology in terms of FF's slowness is necessarily valid. My own
tendency is to feel that there may be something like vendorware (yall
know--the crap vendors load onto their machines) or malware (perhaps
vendorware & malware are 1 & the same)--might be responsible. In terms
of not running any addons, you should really check, because sometimes
Office, etc, installs addons you may not even be aware of unless you
go in & look. Mostly just thinkin out loud on a Friday, & that's
always dangerous for me.

On 6/29/18, Lino Morales <linomorales001@...> wrote:
So do I. For now its making browsing much faster. Of course I’ll
continue
to
use Edge for some things, but I’m so used to the FF layout.

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for
Windows
10

________________________________
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Rosemarie
Chavarria <knitqueen2007@...>
Sent: Friday, June 29, 2018 12:43:43 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] I've had it with Firefox

Hi, Lino,

I use waterfox and it works great for me. It's a bit faster than
firefox
and
I like that.

Rosemarie



From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Lino
Morales
Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2018 10:47 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] I've had it with Firefox

Well like I said in my subject line I’ve had I
with firefox. Every site is slowith NVDa even the mobile FB site. I bit
the
bullet and downloaded Waterfox. Seems to work much better. May I’ll
wait
ti
FF 70 and see how fast that will be. So long FF. Me and WF and Edge are
good
buddies.

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for
Windows
10





--
Remember! Friends Help Friends Be Cybersafe
Jackie McBride
Helping Cybercrime Victims 1 Person at a Time
https://brighter-vision.com












--
Remember! Friends Help Friends Be Cybersafe
Jackie McBride
Helping Cybercrime Victims 1 Person at a Time
https://brighter-vision.com


Re: nvdaes add-ons updated #addonrelease

 

Hi,

Not all add-on authors provide this functionality. I do know that at least four add-ons do provide this: StationPlaylist Studio and Windows 10 App Essentials from me, Braille Extender, and WeatherPlus. In case of Windows 10 App Essentials, it is necessary due to continuous delivery in place due to the fact that Windows 10 changes its interface and features constantly.

Cheers,

Joseph

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2018 8:22 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] nvdaes add-ons updated #AddonRelease

 

NVDA does provide a mechanism for add-ons to self-monitor as being updated and to notify the user that these are available and ask if they want to install the update.

I've got several installed that have done this in the past, and the Windows 10 App Essentials add-on did just that this morning.

I don't know what's involved in getting this functionality integrated into a given add-on, as I don't write them, but Joseph Lee and several others definitely do.  There is no conflict between add-ons as far as each having this self-monitoring feature.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

     Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong.

          ~ H.L. Mencken, AKA The Sage of Baltimore

 

 


Re: nvdaes add-ons updated #addonrelease

 

Hi,
I am the one that's writing necessary code modifications for that GitHub issue. So far, client side is done, and we need server side changes. I'm waiting for certain things to come to NVDA master snapshots before continuing this work, namely wxPython 4 support.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Noelia Ruiz
Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2018 8:31 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] nvdaes add-ons updated #AddonRelease

Hi, there are authors that provide that mechanism, but it's not provided by NVDA. It's in add-ons, not in NVDA itself. Please look at this issue:
https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/3208
I'm not completely sure about this: I don't know if it could produce any issue if some other add-ons or programs check for updates or make some process at the same time.
If I were sure, I would implement this using code based on other add-ons and the update functionality for NVDA.

Thanks

El 30/06/2018 a las 17:22, Brian Vogel escribió:
NVDA does provide a mechanism for add-ons to self-monitor as being
updated and to notify the user that these are available and ask if
they want to install the update.

I've got several installed that have done this in the past, and the
Windows 10 App Essentials add-on did just that this morning.

I don't know what's involved in getting this functionality integrated
into a given add-on, as I don't write them, but Joseph Lee and several
others definitely do. There is no conflict between add-ons as far as
each having this self-monitoring feature.

--

*Brian**-*Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134

/Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a
well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and
wrong./

~ H.L. Mencken, AKA /The Sage of Baltimore/


Re: nvdaes add-ons updated #addonrelease

Noelia Ruiz
 

Hi, there are authors that provide that mechanism, but it's not provided by NVDA. It's in add-ons, not in NVDA itself. Please look at this issue:
https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/3208
I'm not completely sure about this: I don't know if it could produce any issue if some other add-ons or programs check for updates or make some process at the same time.
If I were sure, I would implement this using code based on other add-ons and the update functionality for NVDA.

Thanks

El 30/06/2018 a las 17:22, Brian Vogel escribió:
NVDA does provide a mechanism for add-ons to self-monitor as being updated and to notify the user that these are available and ask if they want to install the update.
I've got several installed that have done this in the past, and the Windows 10 App Essentials add-on did just that this morning.
I don't know what's involved in getting this functionality integrated into a given add-on, as I don't write them, but Joseph Lee and several others definitely do.  There is no conflict between add-ons as far as each having this self-monitoring feature.
--
*Brian**-*Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134
/Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong./
          ~ H.L. Mencken, AKA /The Sage of Baltimore/


Re: nvdaes add-ons updated #addonrelease

 

NVDA does provide a mechanism for add-ons to self-monitor as being updated and to notify the user that these are available and ask if they want to install the update.

I've got several installed that have done this in the past, and the Windows 10 App Essentials add-on did just that this morning.

I don't know what's involved in getting this functionality integrated into a given add-on, as I don't write them, but Joseph Lee and several others definitely do.  There is no conflict between add-ons as far as each having this self-monitoring feature.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

     Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong.

          ~ H.L. Mencken, AKA The Sage of Baltimore

 

 


Re: nvdaes add-ons updated #addonrelease

Noelia Ruiz
 

Hi, these add-ons don't include a way to update themselves. I didn't implement it since I don't know what would happen if several add-ons include this, since NVDA for now does not provide a way to do it.
For now, you need to be care of updates on mailing lists, and download the last version on the website.


Thanks

El 30/06/2018 a las 15:29, Gerardo Corripio escribió:
Again I'm finding they don't update by themselves using latest NVDA, thus I guess they're not compatible yet with the new AddOns updating feature? I restarted NVDA but no go. Should it ask me or let me know that an AddON update is available?
El 30/06/2018 a las 12:37 a.m., Noelia Ruiz escribió:
Hi, the following add-ons mantained by me (nvdaes), have been updated and are available on the community add-ons website, at:
https://addons.nvda-project.org:

They contain translations updates:

* Clip Contents Designer 8.1.
* emoticons 7.1. Thanks Chris as main author, Mesar and Francisco Javier.
* eMule 3.12. Thanks Chris and Alberto Buffolino as authors.
* placeMarkers 10.1. Thanks Chris, also as an author.
* readFeeds 4.4. Thanks Mesar as an author too.
* reportSymbols 4.1.

Thanks users, reviewers and translators for making these add-ons possible and contributing to improve them.
Please, for more details or to download these add-ons, go to the website, at
https://addons.nvda-project.org

Repos of these add-ons are on GitHub at
https://github.com/nvdaes

I started to create issue templates for requesting features or reporting bugs, for now just in Emoticons.

For ease of reviews, as always, commits to add-ons maintained by Abdel, Robert and me are sent to the following mailing list:
https://nvdaes.groups.io/g/NVDAADDONSCOMMITS

Enjoy!



Re: Golden Cursor and Clip Contents Designer Have Key Conflicts

Roger Stewart
 

I'd say make it unassigned so we can define it ourselves.

Thanks.

Roger

On 6/29/2018 7:31 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
Ah yes, Golden Cursor will take over Windows+NVDA+C. Would you like me to change this for everyone, or make it unassigned? There are benefits and drawbacks to each approach:
* Reassign: people will need to learn a new command to change mouse movement unit. It is increasingly becoming risky to change commands, as add-ons are fighting for limited spots on the keyboard.
* Unassign: this means people will need to assign mouse movement unit toggle command themselves. The obvious advantage is that it won't conflict with Clip Contents Designer, the drawback being opening input gestures and assigning this feature to a command you know isn't used by add-ons.
Whatever the community says, I'll make it happen in add-on version 3.1.
Cheers,
Joseph


-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Wells
Sent: Friday, June 29, 2018 5:25 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Golden Cursor and Clip Contents Designer Have Key Conflicts

The most obvious one is NVDA+WINDOWS-KEY+C.


On 6/29/2018 5:18 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
Which command is causing conflict? Whenever you say a key is causing conflict, I (and authors) would like to know which function and command that's the source of the conflict. Thanks.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard
Wells
Sent: Friday, June 29, 2018 3:11 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Golden Cursor and Clip Contents Designer Have Key
Conflicts

Well, I was going to play with Golden Cursor, but it has hotkey conflicts with Clip Contents Designer. I could change them, but NVDA is on too many of my computers to make this feasible and Clip Contents Designer is too important to my productivity.










.


Re: NVDA in safe mode

Roger Stewart
 

This link works just fine, but be sure to change the last digit from zero to a one before using it!

Roger

On 6/30/2018 12:19 AM, Gene New Zealand wrote:
Hi


Found the file and have drop boxed it at
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jr72u3sk7p0za2r/Activate_Sound_in_Win10_Safe_Mode.zip?dl=0

for the message that was sent before for windows 10 the activate safe
mode zip file is not needed I think it was more for earlier machines.


some body on the list might be able to give you more information the
ones who have used it. I just have not.


Gene nz



On 6/30/2018 5:15 PM, Gene New Zealand wrote:
Hi Don


The following directions are from off my nvda audio tutorials page under
trouble shooting.


I know it works on windows 10 which is confirmed when the tutorial was
added to. Every step must be followed for it to work.Both to get into
safe mode and also leave it.


There is also a zip file floating about it is called like safe mode.zip
and works with real tech cards and others from what i hear. I would have
to look to see if i have it or some one else might.


Any how directions are below to get into and out of safe mode.


How to access safe mode in Windows and exit it with the NVDA screen
reader by Hareth  and co
What is safe mode?
Safe mode is a troubleshooting option for Windows that starts your
computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary
to run Windows are started. Safe mode is useful for troubleshooting
problems with programs and drivers that might not start correctly or
that might prevent Windows from starting correctly.
To use NVDA in safe mode
You will need to install a registry patch first. This file can be found
at
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jr72u3sk7p0za2r/Activate_Sound_in_Win10_Safe_Mode.zip?dl=0
After it has been installed it will allow you to use NVDA in safe mode.
This has been tested on a Windows 7 and Windows 10 machine and with
quite a few different sound cards.
Directions to go into and out of safe mode in Windows
You can reboot in to safe mode by doing the following:
Press Windows plus R and type msconfig and hit Enter
Press Ctrl plus Tab to get to the "boot tab"
Tab to "safe boot" and check the check mark/check box.
Tab to "base video" and check it as well.
Tab to the apply button. Press Enter (or spacebar).
Tab to the OK button and press it. You should get a prompt to restart
the computer to apply the changes.
If you select "restart now" your PC should restart into safe mode.
Please note: When the registry patch has been installed, when you go
into safe mode,  you will have sound and be able to use the NVDA screen
reader.
Message you will get while in safe mode

To confirm you are in safe mode, you can use the NVDA key + letter B.
Below is the type of message you will get as an example on a Windows 10
machine.
Safe Mode Microsoft (R) Windows (R) (Build
16299.rs3_release.170928-1534) Safe Mode
After finishing your PC job with safe mode, do the same steps above, but
this time uncheck the two check boxes above for both safe boot, and base
video. Tab to apply and press Enter. Tab to OK and press Enter (or
spacebar) and restart. Your PC will restart to the normal mode.

Gene nz

On 6/30/2018 12:15 PM, Don H wrote:
Can someone direct me to instructions to set up NVDA to run in safe
mode please.
Thanks