Date   

Re: Getting to chat messages during a call in Skype for Windows 10.

Lenron
 

It's not as bad as it seems. I use it pretty well hear the only thing
I am not a fan of is having to pull up the chat when in a call but it
can be done.

On 9/11/18, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@...> wrote:
Hmmm its quite confusing to me, I will look at it again then.



On 9/11/2018 6:40 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
it's actually very easy to get to chat messages in Skype and
everything else. Use your quickness Keith such as S4 forms E4 edit
Boxes Etc. I can get around faster than I could ever with Skype 7. It
is a breeze and I've been using it for a job that uses Skype, in fact
I just talked to classes this week using Skype 8 for Windows. I've
been using the last client now for about 6 months and love it.


On September 10, 2018 23:14:29 "Felix G."
<constantlyvariable@...> wrote:

I wonder why so many developers think tabbing around is our favorite
mode of navigation. It's good for familiarizing ourselves with
something, but as the only way of getting around it's inefficient. For
any sighted dev lurking here, it's like having to click every button
in between where focus is and where you'd like it to be. You would
start hating it after some time. ;)
Best,
Felix
Am Di., 11. Sep. 2018 um 02:11 Uhr schrieb John Isige <gwynn@...>:

Oh huh! Maybe I'll try that then. If you figure it out that would be
great but I kind of started using the app because I didn't think you
could use the desktop version after 7. The other big thing I don't like
about the app is that if I don't get to the notifications in time, like
if I'm away from the computer, it leaves this window up that just says
"new notification" and I can't get rid of it. So it kind of messes with
switching apps and stuff, or if I close an app instead of going
right to
the desktop I have to hit win-m because I'm in the new notification
window. Other than that it doesn't seem too bad, I have to open it if I
want to write longer messages but I've been dealing with that OK. Being
able to write shorter messages right from the notification is kind of
handy really.


On 9/10/2018 17:42, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:
Hi


Ok i have both on this computer but only using the skype 8.2 version
which is the desk top version. I will log out of that one and have a
look back in the other one to see.


Gene nz



On 11/09/2018 10:37 AM, John Isige wrote:
"Please note, this is Skype for Windows 10, not Skype 8." So
yeah, not
Skype 8.2, but the app version for Windows 10. I'm pretty sure
Windows
10 won't let you run the not app version, at least the last time I
tried downloading and installing 8, it told me I'd have a better
experience if I installed from the Microsoft store and gave me an OK
button, and that's it. I could go back to 7 since they seem to be
keeping it around, but I'm really trying to get used to whatever
Microsoft wants me to use so I don't have to worry so much about
what's maybe being killed when and then oh no it turns out that was
wrong and so on.


On 9/10/2018 17:28, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:
hi


Is it the app version which is on windows 10? or the skype 8.2
desktop
version?


Gene nz



On 11/09/2018 10:04 AM, John Isige wrote:
Hey all. Ran into something today for the first time. I was in
a call
with somebody and wanted to send them a link in a chat. Skype kept
telling me that call controls were shown. There was an option
to hide
the chat, but no way that I could tell to get into the area
where I
could type a message. Tabbing through the buttons there was an
area
where NVDA read nothing and I thought that might be it, but it
turned
out not to be. So how do I get to where I can type/send a link
in a
chat to the person I'm in a call with? I checked the hotkeys and I
don't see anything that immediately jumps out at me as relevant.
Please note, this is Skype for Windows 10, not Skype 8.


Funnily enough I was trying to send them a link to the NVDA basic
training. I ended up emailing them instead which was good
because I
sent them a bunch of other links too. Still, I'd like to know
how to
be able to do that when in a call. I assume it's possible.
There are
also other functions, e.g. sending a file, that I couldn't get to
either, e.g. with tab. The set of controls on the screen was
pretty
limited.














--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832
Skype: ron.brown762


Brian - Portable copy of NVDA not working on laptop

Nancy Shackelford
 

I have a sighted friend who I'm sure can help me. I can give her
instructions on where to go and what to do. She's pretty good at
following instructions, so I think this will be successful. No, no
smart phone, only computer. I need to take the plunge and get some
type of cell phone.

Nance

On 9/10/18, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
<bglists@...> wrote:
What a plonker as we would say over here. That is a silly way to do it.

It will need re enabling then a system restart, but as you say its an issue.

I do not suppose you have a smart phone with be my eyes on it do you?
Obviously the well heeled person can call aira and get a paid person to
look as you are looking. Its better than nothing.
Brian
--
Nancy Shackelford --Walk On Faith And Trust In Love - Michael Reid--


Re: Getting to chat messages during a call in Skype for Windows 10.

 

Hmmm its quite confusing to me, I will look at it again then.

On 9/11/2018 6:40 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
it's actually very easy to get to chat messages in Skype and everything else. Use your quickness Keith such as S4 forms E4 edit Boxes Etc. I can get around faster than I could ever with Skype 7. It is a breeze and I've been using it for a job that uses Skype, in fact I just talked to classes this week using Skype 8 for Windows. I've been using the last client now for about 6 months and love it.


On September 10, 2018 23:14:29 "Felix G." <constantlyvariable@...> wrote:

I wonder why so many developers think tabbing around is our favorite
mode of navigation. It's good for familiarizing ourselves with
something, but as the only way of getting around it's inefficient. For
any sighted dev lurking here, it's like having to click every button
in between where focus is and where you'd like it to be. You would
start hating it after some time. ;)
Best,
Felix
Am Di., 11. Sep. 2018 um 02:11 Uhr schrieb John Isige <gwynn@...>:

Oh huh! Maybe I'll try that then. If you figure it out that would be
great but I kind of started using the app because I didn't think you
could use the desktop version after 7. The other big thing I don't like
about the app is that if I don't get to the notifications in time, like
if I'm away from the computer, it leaves this window up that just says
"new notification" and I can't get rid of it. So it kind of messes with
switching apps and stuff, or if I close an app instead of going right to
the desktop I have to hit win-m because I'm in the new notification
window. Other than that it doesn't seem too bad, I have to open it if I
want to write longer messages but I've been dealing with that OK. Being
able to write shorter messages right from the notification is kind of
handy really.


On 9/10/2018 17:42, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:
Hi


Ok i have both on this computer but only using the skype 8.2 version
which is the desk top version. I will log out of that one and have a
look back in the other one to see.


Gene nz



On 11/09/2018 10:37 AM, John Isige wrote:
"Please note, this is Skype for Windows 10, not Skype 8." So
yeah, not
Skype 8.2, but the app version for Windows 10. I'm pretty sure
Windows
10 won't let you run the not app version, at least the last time I
tried downloading and installing 8, it told me I'd have a better
experience if I installed from the Microsoft store and gave me an OK
button, and that's it. I could go back to 7 since they seem to be
keeping it around, but I'm really trying to get used to whatever
Microsoft wants me to use so I don't have to worry so much about
what's maybe being killed when and then oh no it turns out that was
wrong and so on.


On 9/10/2018 17:28, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:
hi


Is it the app version which is on windows 10? or the skype 8.2
desktop
version?


Gene nz



On 11/09/2018 10:04 AM, John Isige wrote:
Hey all. Ran into something today for the first time. I was in
a call
with somebody and wanted to send them a link in a chat. Skype kept
telling me that call controls were shown. There was an option
to hide
the chat, but no way that I could tell to get into the area
where I
could type a message. Tabbing through the buttons there was an
area
where NVDA read nothing and I thought that might be it, but it
turned
out not to be. So how do I get to where I can type/send a link
in a
chat to the person I'm in a call with? I checked the hotkeys and I
don't see anything that immediately jumps out at me as relevant.
Please note, this is Skype for Windows 10, not Skype 8.


Funnily enough I was trying to send them a link to the NVDA basic
training. I ended up emailing them instead which was good
because I
sent them a bunch of other links too. Still, I'd like to know
how to
be able to do that when in a call. I assume it's possible.
There are
also other functions, e.g. sending a file, that I couldn't get to
either, e.g. with tab. The set of controls on the screen was
pretty
limited.












Re: Getting to chat messages during a call in Skype for Windows 10.

Sarah k Alawami
 

it's actually very easy to get to chat messages in Skype and everything else. Use your quickness Keith such as S4 forms E4 edit Boxes Etc. I can get around faster than I could ever with Skype 7. It is a breeze and I've been using it for a job that uses Skype, in fact I just talked to classes this week using Skype 8 for Windows. I've been using the last client now for about 6 months and love it.

On September 10, 2018 23:14:29 "Felix G." <constantlyvariable@...> wrote:

I wonder why so many developers think tabbing around is our favorite
mode of navigation. It's good for familiarizing ourselves with
something, but as the only way of getting around it's inefficient. For
any sighted dev lurking here, it's like having to click every button
in between where focus is and where you'd like it to be. You would
start hating it after some time. ;)
Best,
Felix
Am Di., 11. Sep. 2018 um 02:11 Uhr schrieb John Isige <gwynn@...>:

Oh huh! Maybe I'll try that then. If you figure it out that would be
great but I kind of started using the app because I didn't think you
could use the desktop version after 7. The other big thing I don't like
about the app is that if I don't get to the notifications in time, like
if I'm away from the computer, it leaves this window up that just says
"new notification" and I can't get rid of it. So it kind of messes with
switching apps and stuff, or if I close an app instead of going right to
the desktop I have to hit win-m because I'm in the new notification
window. Other than that it doesn't seem too bad, I have to open it if I
want to write longer messages but I've been dealing with that OK. Being
able to write shorter messages right from the notification is kind of
handy really.


On 9/10/2018 17:42, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:
Hi


Ok i have both on this computer but only using the skype 8.2 version
which is the desk top version. I will log out of that one and have a
look back in the other one to see.


Gene nz



On 11/09/2018 10:37 AM, John Isige wrote:
"Please note, this is Skype for Windows 10, not Skype 8." So yeah, not
Skype 8.2, but the app version for Windows 10. I'm pretty sure Windows
10 won't let you run the not app version, at least the last time I
tried downloading and installing 8, it told me I'd have a better
experience if I installed from the Microsoft store and gave me an OK
button, and that's it. I could go back to 7 since they seem to be
keeping it around, but I'm really trying to get used to whatever
Microsoft wants me to use so I don't have to worry so much about
what's maybe being killed when and then oh no it turns out that was
wrong and so on.


On 9/10/2018 17:28, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:
hi


Is it the app version which is on windows 10? or the skype 8.2 desktop
version?


Gene nz



On 11/09/2018 10:04 AM, John Isige wrote:
Hey all. Ran into something today for the first time. I was in a call
with somebody and wanted to send them a link in a chat. Skype kept
telling me that call controls were shown. There was an option to hide
the chat, but no way that I could tell to get into the area where I
could type a message. Tabbing through the buttons there was an area
where NVDA read nothing and I thought that might be it, but it turned
out not to be. So how do I get to where I can type/send a link in a
chat to the person I'm in a call with? I checked the hotkeys and I
don't see anything that immediately jumps out at me as relevant.
Please note, this is Skype for Windows 10, not Skype 8.


Funnily enough I was trying to send them a link to the NVDA basic
training. I ended up emailing them instead which was good because I
sent them a bunch of other links too. Still, I'd like to know how to
be able to do that when in a call. I assume it's possible. There are
also other functions, e.g. sending a file, that I couldn't get to
either, e.g. with tab. The set of controls on the screen was pretty
limited.








Re: Getting to chat messages during a call in Skype for Windows 10.

 

Well I had a job lined up ages back with skype, but because of skype7's near future death and my issues with skype 8 I had to pull out.

And from now on, anything that uses skype I will have to avoid because it uses skype and skype is now total crap and I can no longer trust it.

With family moving to whatsapp anyway skype is becoming obselete here anyway.

I have tried and made a free account on zoom.us and yes I can use that without any real issue

So at least I can use that if I need to.

I just have to convince prospective users to use that.

If I could do zoom from skype or skypers going to zoom that would rock for a personal user.

On 9/11/2018 6:14 PM, Felix G. wrote:
I wonder why so many developers think tabbing around is our favorite
mode of navigation. It's good for familiarizing ourselves with
something, but as the only way of getting around it's inefficient. For
any sighted dev lurking here, it's like having to click every button
in between where focus is and where you'd like it to be. You would
start hating it after some time. ;)
Best,
Felix
Am Di., 11. Sep. 2018 um 02:11 Uhr schrieb John Isige <gwynn@...>:
Oh huh! Maybe I'll try that then. If you figure it out that would be
great but I kind of started using the app because I didn't think you
could use the desktop version after 7. The other big thing I don't like
about the app is that if I don't get to the notifications in time, like
if I'm away from the computer, it leaves this window up that just says
"new notification" and I can't get rid of it. So it kind of messes with
switching apps and stuff, or if I close an app instead of going right to
the desktop I have to hit win-m because I'm in the new notification
window. Other than that it doesn't seem too bad, I have to open it if I
want to write longer messages but I've been dealing with that OK. Being
able to write shorter messages right from the notification is kind of
handy really.


On 9/10/2018 17:42, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:
Hi


Ok i have both on this computer but only using the skype 8.2 version
which is the desk top version. I will log out of that one and have a
look back in the other one to see.


Gene nz



On 11/09/2018 10:37 AM, John Isige wrote:
"Please note, this is Skype for Windows 10, not Skype 8." So yeah, not
Skype 8.2, but the app version for Windows 10. I'm pretty sure Windows
10 won't let you run the not app version, at least the last time I
tried downloading and installing 8, it told me I'd have a better
experience if I installed from the Microsoft store and gave me an OK
button, and that's it. I could go back to 7 since they seem to be
keeping it around, but I'm really trying to get used to whatever
Microsoft wants me to use so I don't have to worry so much about
what's maybe being killed when and then oh no it turns out that was
wrong and so on.


On 9/10/2018 17:28, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:
hi


Is it the app version which is on windows 10? or the skype 8.2 desktop
version?


Gene nz



On 11/09/2018 10:04 AM, John Isige wrote:
Hey all. Ran into something today for the first time. I was in a call
with somebody and wanted to send them a link in a chat. Skype kept
telling me that call controls were shown. There was an option to hide
the chat, but no way that I could tell to get into the area where I
could type a message. Tabbing through the buttons there was an area
where NVDA read nothing and I thought that might be it, but it turned
out not to be. So how do I get to where I can type/send a link in a
chat to the person I'm in a call with? I checked the hotkeys and I
don't see anything that immediately jumps out at me as relevant.
Please note, this is Skype for Windows 10, not Skype 8.


Funnily enough I was trying to send them a link to the NVDA basic
training. I ended up emailing them instead which was good because I
sent them a bunch of other links too. Still, I'd like to know how to
be able to do that when in a call. I assume it's possible. There are
also other functions, e.g. sending a file, that I couldn't get to
either, e.g. with tab. The set of controls on the screen was pretty
limited.





Re: Getting to chat messages during a call in Skype for Windows 10.

Felix G.
 

I wonder why so many developers think tabbing around is our favorite
mode of navigation. It's good for familiarizing ourselves with
something, but as the only way of getting around it's inefficient. For
any sighted dev lurking here, it's like having to click every button
in between where focus is and where you'd like it to be. You would
start hating it after some time. ;)
Best,
Felix
Am Di., 11. Sep. 2018 um 02:11 Uhr schrieb John Isige <gwynn@...>:


Oh huh! Maybe I'll try that then. If you figure it out that would be
great but I kind of started using the app because I didn't think you
could use the desktop version after 7. The other big thing I don't like
about the app is that if I don't get to the notifications in time, like
if I'm away from the computer, it leaves this window up that just says
"new notification" and I can't get rid of it. So it kind of messes with
switching apps and stuff, or if I close an app instead of going right to
the desktop I have to hit win-m because I'm in the new notification
window. Other than that it doesn't seem too bad, I have to open it if I
want to write longer messages but I've been dealing with that OK. Being
able to write shorter messages right from the notification is kind of
handy really.


On 9/10/2018 17:42, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:
Hi


Ok i have both on this computer but only using the skype 8.2 version
which is the desk top version. I will log out of that one and have a
look back in the other one to see.


Gene nz



On 11/09/2018 10:37 AM, John Isige wrote:
"Please note, this is Skype for Windows 10, not Skype 8." So yeah, not
Skype 8.2, but the app version for Windows 10. I'm pretty sure Windows
10 won't let you run the not app version, at least the last time I
tried downloading and installing 8, it told me I'd have a better
experience if I installed from the Microsoft store and gave me an OK
button, and that's it. I could go back to 7 since they seem to be
keeping it around, but I'm really trying to get used to whatever
Microsoft wants me to use so I don't have to worry so much about
what's maybe being killed when and then oh no it turns out that was
wrong and so on.


On 9/10/2018 17:28, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:
hi


Is it the app version which is on windows 10? or the skype 8.2 desktop
version?


Gene nz



On 11/09/2018 10:04 AM, John Isige wrote:
Hey all. Ran into something today for the first time. I was in a call
with somebody and wanted to send them a link in a chat. Skype kept
telling me that call controls were shown. There was an option to hide
the chat, but no way that I could tell to get into the area where I
could type a message. Tabbing through the buttons there was an area
where NVDA read nothing and I thought that might be it, but it turned
out not to be. So how do I get to where I can type/send a link in a
chat to the person I'm in a call with? I checked the hotkeys and I
don't see anything that immediately jumps out at me as relevant.
Please note, this is Skype for Windows 10, not Skype 8.


Funnily enough I was trying to send them a link to the NVDA basic
training. I ended up emailing them instead which was good because I
sent them a bunch of other links too. Still, I'd like to know how to
be able to do that when in a call. I assume it's possible. There are
also other functions, e.g. sending a file, that I couldn't get to
either, e.g. with tab. The set of controls on the screen was pretty
limited.








Re: NVDA and ccleaner

Felix G.
 

Hi!
I am using the professional version of CCleaner, which is the paid
one. No Avastery detected so far. However, accessibility-wise, the
program goes more and more down the drain. I alerted them to a11y
problems years ago but they don't care.
Best,
Felix
Am Mo., 10. Sep. 2018 um 23:04 Uhr schrieb Don H <lmddh50@...>:


So if you uncheck the box to install avast it does it anyway? I did use
the latest version of ccleaner and unchecked the box. I see no instance
of avast on my system.

On 9/10/2018 3:03 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Are you using a portable version of nvvda?
I have found that often you need to restart the computer. I do trust
you have not installed the latest version from the web site. We have
been warning people off due to its stealth installation of avast.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Don H" <lmddh50@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2018 8:48 PM
Subject: [nvda] NVDA and ccleaner


running NVDA 2018-3 RC1 on a Win 10 system. I also just downloaded
the latest version of CCleaner. After running a scan with ccleaner I
can not get NVDA to read the list of items it found. Is there a way
to read the list?

Thanks











Re: Reading table attributes on the web automatically

Joshua Tubbs
 

Yes, they're set and they are not reading.

Also, with Core Exiles blind mode on, there are alt tags associated
with links that NVDA is not reading.

Is there a way, I can choose, say, like with jaw's insert V, how
attributes are read? Because they're labeled.

On 9/6/18, Cearbhall O'Meadhra <cearbhall.omeadhra@...> wrote:
Joshua,

Have you tried setting the Row/column headers announcement under "Tables" in
the "Document formatting" Settings dialog which you open using
NVDA+control+d? You can also get to this under settings>Document Formatting
in the preferences menu.


All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...


-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joshua Tubbs
Sent: Thursday, September 6, 2018 4:26 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Reading table attributes on the web automatically

Hello everyone,
Is there any way I can have NVDA read not just, say, a number or numbers
within colomns or rows, but the whole thing?

I'm playing Core Exiles and NVDA is just reading the number of fuel I have,
rather than saying fuel 700, it just says 700 and I have to remember what
each item is in the table as I go down the table and it goes from row to
row

Thanks all. If I have to read tables differently rather than just down/up
arrowing through it and switch from row/colomn using table shortcuts that's
okay, was just curious if there were multiple ways.







We have Reached a Milestone

Nimer Jaber
 

Hello everyone,

Just writing to thank everyone on this list for making it what it is and has been. We have now reached 1000 users earlier this week, and that is excellent. Let's continue to make this list a welcoming home for NVDA questions for a long time to come.

Thanks.

Nimer Jaber

--
Cordially,

Nimer Jaber

Please take the time to read this signature completely as it contains
some information about the email you have just read and all
attachments contained within as well as some valuable resources and
methods for contacting me if you have any questions or wish to talk.

The message above is intended for the recipient to whom it was
addressed. If you believe that you are not the intended recipient,
please notify me via reply email and destroy all copies of this
correspondence. Action taken as a result of this email or its contents
by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) may result in civil or
criminal charges. I have checked this email and all corresponding
attachments for security threats. However, security of your machine is
up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

To find out about a free and versatile screen reader for windows XP
and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter for the latest technology news.

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (218)
(693-9271) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly. Thank
you, and have a great day!


Re: Evernote

 

Hmmm I am not sure but if they can use onenote, there aparently is a way to link evernote to that.

On 9/11/2018 1:43 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
Hi everyone,

I had a request for assistance from someone trying to use Evernote on
Windows 10. Does anyone else here use Evernote and if so, do you have any
tips? They can log in, and access the menu bar, but not any of the other
functions or their notes or anything.

Evernote, btw, is a service where you can sync notes across platforms. The
blurb on their page at: https://evernote.com/ reads: "Feel organized
without the effort
Evernote helps you capture and prioritize ideas, projects, and to-do lists,
so nothing falls through the cracks.
Focus on what matters most."

Regards

Quentin.


Evernote

Quentin Christensen
 

Hi everyone,

I had a request for assistance from someone trying to use Evernote on Windows 10.  Does anyone else here use Evernote and if so, do you have any tips?  They can log in, and access the menu bar, but not any of the other functions or their notes or anything.

Evernote, btw, is a service where you can sync notes across platforms.  The blurb on their page at: https://evernote.com/ reads: "Feel organized without the effort
Evernote helps you capture and prioritize ideas, projects, and to-do lists, so nothing falls through the cracks.
Focus on what matters most."

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 


Re: NVDA 2018.3rc1 now available

Quentin Christensen
 

Hi Felix,

I'll double check for you.  Off the top of my head, I expect it likely checks on startup, and probably if you change NVDA's Braille settings.  Otherwise it would be constantly monitoring for something which in practice, likely wouldn't happen that often.

Also thanks everyone for the reports that everything is going well so far!

Quentin.

On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 10:08 PM, Felix G. <constantlyvariable@...> wrote:
Hi!
Using it right now with no ill effects. Win 7 64 bit, NVDA installed
(not portable).
Braille display autodetection worked successfully for a Handy Tech
device. Is it expected that if I unplug and plug back in the Braille
device it should also autodetect? Because that didn't work. In other
words, autodetection sees the device on startup of NVDA but not when
it later appears on the system. Will test later on Win 10.
Best,
Felix
Am Mo., 10. Sep. 2018 um 11:49 Uhr schrieb Robert Mendoza
<lowvisiontek@...>:
>
> Hi, Quentin.
>
> Done the update to my machine and so far none of as of the moment knocking trouble from my end.
>
> Robert Mendoza
>
>
>
> On 9/10/2018 4:44 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
>
> That's a great start, thanks Brian!
>
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 6:23 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
>>
>> OK am using it portably on windows 7 at the moment.
>>
>> nothing has gone bang..
>> Brian
>>
>> bglists@...
>> Sent via blueyonder.
>> Please address personal E-mail to:-
>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
>> in the display name field.
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Quentin Christensen" <quentin@...>
>> To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
>> Sent: Monday, September 10, 2018 6:14 AM
>> Subject: [nvda] NVDA 2018.3rc1 now available
>>
>>
>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> NV Access has just released NVDA 2018.3rc1. This is a Release Candidate,
>>> meaning that unless any critical bugs are found, this will be identical to
>>> the final 2018.3 release.
>>>
>>> Highlights of this release include automatic detection of many Braille
>>> displays, support for new Windows 10 features including the Windows 10
>>> Imoji input panel, and many other bug fixes. Read the full release
>>> announcement and download the release candidate from:
>>> https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2018-3rc1-released/
>>>
>>> Kind regards
>>>
>>> Quentin.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Quentin Christensen
>>> Training and Support Manager
>>>
>>> Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available:
>>> http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
>>>
>>> www.nvaccess.org
>>> Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
>>> Twitter: @NVAccess
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
> --
> Quentin Christensen
> Training and Support Manager
>
> Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
>
> www.nvaccess.org
> Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
> Twitter: @NVAccess
>
>
>






--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 


Re: Getting to chat messages during a call in Skype for Windows 10.

John Isige
 

Oh huh! Maybe I'll try that then. If you figure it out that would be great but I kind of started using the app because I didn't think you could use the desktop version after 7. The other big thing I don't like about the app is that if I don't get to the notifications in time, like if I'm away from the computer, it leaves this window up that just says "new notification" and I can't get rid of it. So it kind of messes with switching apps and stuff, or if I close an app instead of going right to the desktop I have to hit win-m because I'm in the new notification window. Other than that it doesn't seem too bad, I have to open it if I want to write longer messages but I've been dealing with that OK. Being able to write shorter messages right from the notification is kind of handy really.

On 9/10/2018 17:42, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:
Hi


Ok i have both on this computer but only using the skype 8.2 version
which is the desk top version. I will log out of that one and have a
look back in the other one to see.


Gene nz



On 11/09/2018 10:37 AM, John Isige wrote:
"Please note, this is Skype for Windows 10, not Skype 8." So yeah, not
Skype 8.2, but the app version for Windows 10. I'm pretty sure Windows
10 won't let you run the not app version, at least the last time I
tried downloading and installing 8, it told me I'd have a better
experience if I installed from the Microsoft store and gave me an OK
button, and that's it. I could go back to 7 since they seem to be
keeping it around, but I'm really trying to get used to whatever
Microsoft wants me to use so I don't have to worry so much about
what's maybe being killed when and then oh no it turns out that was
wrong and so on.


On 9/10/2018 17:28, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:
hi


Is it the app version which is on windows 10? or the skype 8.2 desktop
version?


Gene nz



On 11/09/2018 10:04 AM, John Isige wrote:
Hey all. Ran into something today for the first time. I was in a call
with somebody and wanted to send them a link in a chat. Skype kept
telling me that call controls were shown. There was an option to hide
the chat, but no way that I could tell to get into the area where I
could type a message. Tabbing through the buttons there was an area
where NVDA read nothing and I thought that might be it, but it turned
out not to be. So how do I get to where I can type/send a link in a
chat to the person I'm in a call with? I checked the hotkeys and I
don't see anything that immediately jumps out at me as relevant.
Please note, this is Skype for Windows 10, not Skype 8.


Funnily enough I was trying to send them a link to the NVDA basic
training. I ended up emailing them instead which was good because I
sent them a bunch of other links too. Still, I'd like to know how to
be able to do that when in a call. I assume it's possible. There are
also other functions, e.g. sending a file, that I couldn't get to
either, e.g. with tab. The set of controls on the screen was pretty
limited.





Re: Getting to chat messages during a call in Skype for Windows 10.

hurrikennyandopo ...
 

Hi


Just had a look at the app version  say you have connected to the person
with audio if you are still in focus you need to tab a couple of times
to get to the area where you type in your message etc. I think just
above it is where the messages are so you will need to shift/tab to get
to them then use the arrow keys to read them. I think the desktop
version is far easier to jump around and use.


If i remember right there is a written tutorial on the app version of
skype which is found on windows 10. You need to do more tabbing etc in
the app version.


the tutorial can be found on my nvda tutorials for other programs page.


Gene nz

On 11/09/2018 10:37 AM, John Isige wrote:
"Please note, this is Skype for Windows 10, not Skype 8." So yeah, not
Skype 8.2, but the app version for Windows 10. I'm pretty sure Windows
10 won't let you run the not app version, at least the last time I
tried downloading and installing 8, it told me I'd have a better
experience if I installed from the Microsoft store and gave me an OK
button, and that's it. I could go back to 7 since they seem to be
keeping it around, but I'm really trying to get used to whatever
Microsoft wants me to use so I don't have to worry so much about
what's maybe being killed when and then oh no it turns out that was
wrong and so on.


On 9/10/2018 17:28, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:
hi


Is it the app version which is on windows 10? or the skype 8.2 desktop
version?


Gene nz



On 11/09/2018 10:04 AM, John Isige wrote:
Hey all. Ran into something today for the first time. I was in a call
with somebody and wanted to send them a link in a chat. Skype kept
telling me that call controls were shown. There was an option to hide
the chat, but no way that I could tell to get into the area where I
could type a message. Tabbing through the buttons there was an area
where NVDA read nothing and I thought that might be it, but it turned
out not to be. So how do I get to where I can type/send a link in a
chat to the person I'm in a call with? I checked the hotkeys and I
don't see anything that immediately jumps out at me as relevant.
Please note, this is Skype for Windows 10, not Skype 8.


Funnily enough I was trying to send them a link to the NVDA basic
training. I ended up emailing them instead which was good because I
sent them a bunch of other links too. Still, I'd like to know how to
be able to do that when in a call. I assume it's possible. There are
also other functions, e.g. sending a file, that I couldn't get to
either, e.g. with tab. The set of controls on the screen was pretty
limited.







Re: Getting to chat messages during a call in Skype for Windows 10.

hurrikennyandopo ...
 

Hi


Ok i have both on this computer but only using the skype 8.2 version
which is the desk top version. I will log out of that one and have a
look back in the other one to see.


Gene nz

On 11/09/2018 10:37 AM, John Isige wrote:
"Please note, this is Skype for Windows 10, not Skype 8." So yeah, not
Skype 8.2, but the app version for Windows 10. I'm pretty sure Windows
10 won't let you run the not app version, at least the last time I
tried downloading and installing 8, it told me I'd have a better
experience if I installed from the Microsoft store and gave me an OK
button, and that's it. I could go back to 7 since they seem to be
keeping it around, but I'm really trying to get used to whatever
Microsoft wants me to use so I don't have to worry so much about
what's maybe being killed when and then oh no it turns out that was
wrong and so on.


On 9/10/2018 17:28, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:
hi


Is it the app version which is on windows 10? or the skype 8.2 desktop
version?


Gene nz



On 11/09/2018 10:04 AM, John Isige wrote:
Hey all. Ran into something today for the first time. I was in a call
with somebody and wanted to send them a link in a chat. Skype kept
telling me that call controls were shown. There was an option to hide
the chat, but no way that I could tell to get into the area where I
could type a message. Tabbing through the buttons there was an area
where NVDA read nothing and I thought that might be it, but it turned
out not to be. So how do I get to where I can type/send a link in a
chat to the person I'm in a call with? I checked the hotkeys and I
don't see anything that immediately jumps out at me as relevant.
Please note, this is Skype for Windows 10, not Skype 8.


Funnily enough I was trying to send them a link to the NVDA basic
training. I ended up emailing them instead which was good because I
sent them a bunch of other links too. Still, I'd like to know how to
be able to do that when in a call. I assume it's possible. There are
also other functions, e.g. sending a file, that I couldn't get to
either, e.g. with tab. The set of controls on the screen was pretty
limited.







Re: Getting to chat messages during a call in Skype for Windows 10.

John Isige
 

"Please note, this is Skype for Windows 10, not Skype 8." So yeah, not Skype 8.2, but the app version for Windows 10. I'm pretty sure Windows 10 won't let you run the not app version, at least the last time I tried downloading and installing 8, it told me I'd have a better experience if I installed from the Microsoft store and gave me an OK button, and that's it. I could go back to 7 since they seem to be keeping it around, but I'm really trying to get used to whatever Microsoft wants me to use so I don't have to worry so much about what's maybe being killed when and then oh no it turns out that was wrong and so on.

On 9/10/2018 17:28, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:
hi


Is it the app version which is on windows 10? or the skype 8.2 desktop
version?


Gene nz



On 11/09/2018 10:04 AM, John Isige wrote:
Hey all. Ran into something today for the first time. I was in a call
with somebody and wanted to send them a link in a chat. Skype kept
telling me that call controls were shown. There was an option to hide
the chat, but no way that I could tell to get into the area where I
could type a message. Tabbing through the buttons there was an area
where NVDA read nothing and I thought that might be it, but it turned
out not to be. So how do I get to where I can type/send a link in a
chat to the person I'm in a call with? I checked the hotkeys and I
don't see anything that immediately jumps out at me as relevant.
Please note, this is Skype for Windows 10, not Skype 8.


Funnily enough I was trying to send them a link to the NVDA basic
training. I ended up emailing them instead which was good because I
sent them a bunch of other links too. Still, I'd like to know how to
be able to do that when in a call. I assume it's possible. There are
also other functions, e.g. sending a file, that I couldn't get to
either, e.g. with tab. The set of controls on the screen was pretty
limited.




Re: Getting to chat messages during a call in Skype for Windows 10.

hurrikennyandopo ...
 

hi


Is it the app version which is on windows 10? or the skype 8.2 desktop
version?


Gene nz

On 11/09/2018 10:04 AM, John Isige wrote:
Hey all. Ran into something today for the first time. I was in a call
with somebody and wanted to send them a link in a chat. Skype kept
telling me that call controls were shown. There was an option to hide
the chat, but no way that I could tell to get into the area where I
could type a message. Tabbing through the buttons there was an area
where NVDA read nothing and I thought that might be it, but it turned
out not to be. So how do I get to where I can type/send a link in a
chat to the person I'm in a call with? I checked the hotkeys and I
don't see anything that immediately jumps out at me as relevant.
Please note, this is Skype for Windows 10, not Skype 8.


Funnily enough I was trying to send them a link to the NVDA basic
training. I ended up emailing them instead which was good because I
sent them a bunch of other links too. Still, I'd like to know how to
be able to do that when in a call. I assume it's possible. There are
also other functions, e.g. sending a file, that I couldn't get to
either, e.g. with tab. The set of controls on the screen was pretty
limited.




Re: NVDA and Searching in Outlook 2016

Cearbhall O'Meadhra
 

Brian,

 

This is a great piece of work! You have been exhaustive in your explanation. I would like to combine this with my own effort as a two-page manual. The first page would give the quick overview of the simple search and the advanced find in its simplest form by only using a search word. I would also provide a list of alt- keyboard shortcuts to each of the advanced parameters as a means of jumping to the parameter that a user wants. Then we would have the complete screen reader user friendly manual on searching in Outlook 2010 to 2016!

 

Do you have any objections to my using your tutorial in this way? With full acknowledgment of course.

 

All the best,

 

Cearbhall

 

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...

 


Re: Getting to chat messages during a call in Skype for Windows 10.

 

To be honest as part of a possible job I tried to get my head around the skype 8 interface, but I never know where I am and to be honest its a large kludge of buttons.

I really think microsoft just needs to have a way we can use the skype classic interface in skype 8 to be honest either that or just leave 7 always up.

The download link for 7 has gone from their website but oh well.

On 9/11/2018 10:04 AM, John Isige wrote:
Hey all. Ran into something today for the first time. I was in a call with somebody and wanted to send them a link in a chat. Skype kept telling me that call controls were shown. There was an option to hide the chat, but no way that I could tell to get into the area where I could type a message. Tabbing through the buttons there was an area where NVDA read nothing and I thought that might be it, but it turned out not to be. So how do I get to where I can type/send a link in a chat to the person I'm in a call with? I checked the hotkeys and I don't see anything that immediately jumps out at me as relevant. Please note, this is Skype for Windows 10, not Skype 8.


Funnily enough I was trying to send them a link to the NVDA basic training. I ended up emailing them instead which was good because I sent them a bunch of other links too. Still, I'd like to know how to be able to do that when in a call. I assume it's possible. There are also other functions, e.g. sending a file, that I couldn't get to either, e.g. with tab. The set of controls on the screen was pretty limited.




Getting to chat messages during a call in Skype for Windows 10.

John Isige
 

Hey all. Ran into something today for the first time. I was in a call with somebody and wanted to send them a link in a chat. Skype kept telling me that call controls were shown. There was an option to hide the chat, but no way that I could tell to get into the area where I could type a message. Tabbing through the buttons there was an area where NVDA read nothing and I thought that might be it, but it turned out not to be. So how do I get to where I can type/send a link in a chat to the person I'm in a call with? I checked the hotkeys and I don't see anything that immediately jumps out at me as relevant. Please note, this is Skype for Windows 10, not Skype 8.


Funnily enough I was trying to send them a link to the NVDA basic training. I ended up emailing them instead which was good because I sent them a bunch of other links too. Still, I'd like to know how to be able to do that when in a call. I assume it's possible. There are also other functions, e.g. sending a file, that I couldn't get to either, e.g. with tab. The set of controls on the screen was pretty limited.