Date   

Re: training for blind people

 

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 12:00 PM, Devin Prater wrote:
The elements list is a good thing when you know the site and just want to get to something quickly, but it’s awful to rely on for everything.
And screen reader find is really your best friend when you even have a reasonable guess of a keyword you expect is somewhere in the content being displayed.

Depending on the page, and I credit Gene for this tip, using the H quick navigation in browse mode can let you do a quick and dirty assessment of the major content on a great many webpages.

One of my current students, who's been a JAWS user for years (decades, I think) now, had never heard of or touched the table navigation commands, and the sites she's using are heavily table laden and one would expect the data to be presented in that way.

I also just managed to get the folks at VFO to realize that when you have documentation in two different formats (plain text and PDF), and you don't include that in the click through link, and both links have exactly the same description otherwise, that it's functionally inaccessible.  I constantly tell my students that they need to download the keystrokes documentation for any screen reader they are using and plan to refer to it, frequently, because there's no way that any instructor can cover everything and you'll encounter situations on your own where you can find the "quick and easy way to deal with it" by looking there.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

    The psychology of adultery has been falsified by conventional morals, which assume, in monogamous countries, that attraction to one person cannot co-exist with a serious affection for another.  Everybody knows that this is untrue. . .

           ~ Bertrand Russell

 

 


Re: training for blind people

Devin Prater
 

I agree. I’m interning at my state government AT department, feels like I’ll be an intern forever. Anyways, the other instructors rely heavily on the elements list, and it’s caused problems with students in the past. When the Moodle site for the training materials changes, they’re out of luck because they don’t know what they’re looking for, and no one has taught them any differently. I’ve tried my best to rectify this a little, but I won’t be there forever, I don’t think, so I’ll have to say something to the other instructors. Quick note to any trainers, the fastest way definitely isn’t always the best. The elements list is a good thing when you know the site and just want to get to something quickly, but it’s awful to rely on for everything.

On Sep 28, 2018, at 10:50 AM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

I didn't say anything about how sites change.  I said that if sites change, proper training would allow blind people to look at the changed site and figure out how to use it in a lot of cases.  I didn't say all cases.  If you look at what I have written, I have specifically said that rote learning is going to cause problems.  I said that in part specifically because sites change and they are going to continue to change over time. 
 
Nor am I saying that every blind person will be able to learn how to do this.  But I'm saying that the majority, perhaps most, can.  
 
We see the same problem when something like a new version of Windows comes out.  Training of a lot of blind people is just plain poor.
 
Gene 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2018 10:09 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] training for blind people

Hi, Davy,

That's great you were able to learn the iPhone by reading the manual and spending many hours practicing with it. I can't afford to get an iphone because I'm on a fixed income. For the most part, Gene is right but he fails to realize that sites change all the time. I know this because I used to be able to shop for groceries on the Vons site by myself until they changed it. As long as my sister is willing to help me place orders on instacart, I'll graciously accept that help. I don't want to get an iphone just so I can shop on instacart. I just got so used to the keyboard.

Rosemarie



-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Davy Cuppens
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2018 7:47 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] training for blind people

Hi Rosemarie

I did my learning process in just the same way as you did, I did not attend a brail class but had my training in screenreaders for my profession as a receptionist and after that just like you, being patient and learning it myself.

For 4,5 years as a totally inexperienced beginner, I bought an iphone 5s for
900 euro because so many people told me it's the most accessible device in the world. After 2 days I had almost thrown my device in the toilet but the third day I shut myself in my room for 5 hours, started to read the manual, listened to beginners voiceover podcasts and I dare to say now after 4 years that I am one of the most experienced voiceover users and I reached that level after 3 4 months.  But I had to spend hours and hours and hours learning, testing etc ...
Maybe this is difficult for some people and therefore I find gene is right.
If you feel it does not work, go to training please! There is nothing wrong with that.
Regards
davy

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
From: Rosemarie Chavarria
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2018 1:55 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

Hi, Sean,

When I got my very first computer, it had a demo version of Window-eyes. It had windows 98 as its operating system. I took a computer class at the Braille Institute ad they taught Jaws. I later saved up some money and bought tutorials. I pretty much did everything on my own. As far as screen readers, I learned Jaws, window-eyes and system access. Now I just use nvda AND IT SUITS MY NEEDS VERY WELL.

rOSEMARIE



-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shaun Everiss
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 2:55 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

To be honest on training, I learned to use ms office xp, windows 95 and jaws 6.

None of that matters anymore.

I don't use jaws, I don't use such an outdated crappy office and windows combo anymore.

I have training for my keynote.

All of it is totally crap, I did most of my stuff myself.

I admit it was good at that time but its not current.

Training is fine especially if you get it but you would have to train yearly to stay updated.



On 9/28/2018 6:35 AM, Ervin, Glenn wrote:
> Gene,
> The level of training you are referring to is either unaffordable on their
> limited income, or beyond their interest level.
> Remember, even the average requirements of using a screenreader is more
> than most sighted folks would learn to use the computer.
> If they cannot touch what they want or click on it with a mouse, it is
> beyond what the majority of sighted folks would be willing to learn, and
> why should the Blind be any different?
> We are forced to learn stuff that many would not even consider if they did
> not have to.
> Believe me, I’m in the real world seeing newly Blinded folks all the time,
> and only the most highly motivated of them are interested in learning to
> use a screenreader.
> I find it disappointing, but that is the truth.
> Glenn
>
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
> Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 1:21 PM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My
> Banking Site
>
> Because of poor training.
>
> Gene
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Ervin, Glenn<mailto:glenn.ervin@...>
> Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 12:56 PM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My
> Banking Site
>
> Hi Gene,
> I gathered that, but it is my experience that the majority of Blind users,
> most of whom aren’t even on a listserve, struggle to use even one
> screenreader, much less other operating systems.
> Glenn
>
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> <nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> On Behalf Of Gene
> Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 12:52 PM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My
> Banking Site
>
> I didn't say that this isn't occurring on the Internet.  I haven't used
> enough sites that are out of my usual use to say.  I am making a general
> statement about blind people using only one screen-reader, as so many do.
> This is the result of poore training.  I wasn't refering specifically to
> or only to the Internet.  I was discussing how so many blind people don't
> realize the advantages to using more than one screen-reader on the
> Internet or elsewhere.  If blind people knew what I said in my last
> message in the thread, they might be more willing to try other
> screen-readers so that when one screen-reader doesn't do something well,
> they might be able to do the thing better or well using another
> screen-reader.
>
> Gene
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Ervin, Glenn<mailto:glenn.ervin@...>
> Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 9:22 AM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My
> Banking Site
>
> Gene,
> All it takes is one element that is a show stopper for someone, and that
> can cause them to stop using a screenreader and give up using a computer.
> I have been a computer user and teacher since the days of DOS, and I have
> spent hours stuck on a page because of inaccessible pages that have no
> work-around, unless you come to a list like this to find out some obscure
> technique that happens to work.
> It sure seems like more and more of this is happening, and it is difficult
> for screenreaders to keep up.
> I don’t agree with your assertion that it is just a matter of training.
> I think with this most recent trend, we will see less and less Blind
> people being able to access pages.
> I don’t know the solution, but I see a bad trend here.
> I hope I’m wrong about the trend.
> Glenn
>
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> <nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> On Behalf Of Gene
> Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 10:04 AM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My
> Banking Site
>
> That's largely because of poor training, however.  Not for everything, but
> for a lot of what people do, you can learn perhaps ten or fifteen commands
> that are different for a different screen-reader and do a lot of what you
> could do before.  Most of what people do uses Windows or program commands.
> a different screen-reader may use different screen review commands and a
> different command for read title bar and certain other commands, but a lot
> of what people do would be the same because a lot of what is done doesn't
> use screen-reader commands.
>
> Gene
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Ervin, Glenn<mailto:glenn.ervin@...>
> Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 9:43 AM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My
> Banking Site
>
> Although this concept of using multiple screenreaders is okay for those of
> us who can do that, but if it comes to that as generally accepted
> practice, then the majority of users are left behind.
> Glenn
>
>
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> <nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
> Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 8:48 AM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> Subject: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My
> Banking Site
>
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 08:58 AM, Davy Cuppens wrote:
> Simply told, the procedure is unaccessible so cal your bank and tel them.
> Not that I don't think this is a good idea, because it is, but you also
> have to understand that accessibility will always be, to some extent, a
> game of catch up.
>
> Web coding keeps changing at blinding speed, and that's not going to stop.
> Sometimes it's a matter of the screen readers catching up to it, and
> particularly when the reason for doing a certain thing a certain way
> revolves around increased security.
>
> It's really generally helpful to check to see if what doesn't work under
> one screen reader might work under another if you happen to have a system
> with two or more screen readers available.  That can help to tease out
> where the issue might lie.
>
> --
>
> Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134
>
>      The psychology of adultery has been falsified by conventional morals,
> which assume, in monogamous countries, that attraction to one person
> cannot co-exist with a serious affection for another.  Everybody knows
> that this is untrue. . .
>
>             ~ Bertrand Russell
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>















Re: training for blind people

 

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 11:10 AM, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:
For the most part, Gene is right but he fails to realize that sites change all the time.
Sorry, Rosemarie, but Gene has stated, again and again, that sites in fact do change all the time.

His position has clearly included this statement virtually every time he lays it out.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

    The psychology of adultery has been falsified by conventional morals, which assume, in monogamous countries, that attraction to one person cannot co-exist with a serious affection for another.  Everybody knows that this is untrue. . .

           ~ Bertrand Russell

 

 


Re: training for blind people

 

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 11:49 AM, Gene wrote:
Training of a lot of blind people is just plain poor.
I realize that blind people are the focus here, but when it comes to technology training and overreliance on rote learning, it's far from limited to that demographic.

There are certain arenas where rote learning is almost worse than no formal training at all.  Rote is a cage if you cannot and will not accept that while it may be a basis for "most frequently encountered now" you're very likely to have to keep moving along as "now" moves along to something else, whether a twist on that learning or transitioning to something entirely new.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

    The psychology of adultery has been falsified by conventional morals, which assume, in monogamous countries, that attraction to one person cannot co-exist with a serious affection for another.  Everybody knows that this is untrue. . .

           ~ Bertrand Russell

 

 


Re: training for blind people

 

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 11:43 AM, Gene wrote:
Sites are going to change.  That is just the nature of the Internet.
And the sooner that this is accepted wisdom the better.   It seems that a lot of individuals believe that there will be a glorious day when the internet reaches a state of placid stasis.  I have some oceanfront property in Omaha I'd like to sell them.

There also seems to be a belief, and it's at least partially correct, that these changes are not challenging for those who can see.  They are, without doubt, less challenging when the changes are both visually obvious and lead you to do what the designers want you to do in the design itself.  There are plenty of times when that's not the case on one or both of those parameters.  The amount of both change for change's sake and "What on earth were they thinking when they designed this?!!" change is huge, and confusing for anyone.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

    The psychology of adultery has been falsified by conventional morals, which assume, in monogamous countries, that attraction to one person cannot co-exist with a serious affection for another.  Everybody knows that this is untrue. . .

           ~ Bertrand Russell

 

 


Re: training for blind people

Gene
 

I didn't say anything about how sites change.  I said that if sites change, proper training would allow blind people to look at the changed site and figure out how to use it in a lot of cases.  I didn't say all cases.  If you look at what I have written, I have specifically said that rote learning is going to cause problems.  I said that in part specifically because sites change and they are going to continue to change over time. 
 
Nor am I saying that every blind person will be able to learn how to do this.  But I'm saying that the majority, perhaps most, can.  
 
We see the same problem when something like a new version of Windows comes out.  Training of a lot of blind people is just plain poor.
 
Gene 

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2018 10:09 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] training for blind people

Hi, Davy,

That's great you were able to learn the iPhone by reading the manual and spending many hours practicing with it. I can't afford to get an iphone because I'm on a fixed income. For the most part, Gene is right but he fails to realize that sites change all the time. I know this because I used to be able to shop for groceries on the Vons site by myself until they changed it. As long as my sister is willing to help me place orders on instacart, I'll graciously accept that help. I don't want to get an iphone just so I can shop on instacart. I just got so used to the keyboard.

Rosemarie



-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Davy Cuppens
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2018 7:47 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] training for blind people

Hi Rosemarie

I did my learning process in just the same way as you did, I did not attend a brail class but had my training in screenreaders for my profession as a receptionist and after that just like you, being patient and learning it myself.

For 4,5 years as a totally inexperienced beginner, I bought an iphone 5s for
900 euro because so many people told me it's the most accessible device in the world. After 2 days I had almost thrown my device in the toilet but the third day I shut myself in my room for 5 hours, started to read the manual, listened to beginners voiceover podcasts and I dare to say now after 4 years that I am one of the most experienced voiceover users and I reached that level after 3 4 months.  But I had to spend hours and hours and hours learning, testing etc ...
Maybe this is difficult for some people and therefore I find gene is right.
If you feel it does not work, go to training please! There is nothing wrong with that.
Regards
davy

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
From: Rosemarie Chavarria
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2018 1:55 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

Hi, Sean,

When I got my very first computer, it had a demo version of Window-eyes. It had windows 98 as its operating system. I took a computer class at the Braille Institute ad they taught Jaws. I later saved up some money and bought tutorials. I pretty much did everything on my own. As far as screen readers, I learned Jaws, window-eyes and system access. Now I just use nvda AND IT SUITS MY NEEDS VERY WELL.

rOSEMARIE



-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shaun Everiss
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 2:55 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

To be honest on training, I learned to use ms office xp, windows 95 and jaws 6.

None of that matters anymore.

I don't use jaws, I don't use such an outdated crappy office and windows combo anymore.

I have training for my keynote.

All of it is totally crap, I did most of my stuff myself.

I admit it was good at that time but its not current.

Training is fine especially if you get it but you would have to train yearly to stay updated.



On 9/28/2018 6:35 AM, Ervin, Glenn wrote:
> Gene,
> The level of training you are referring to is either unaffordable on their
> limited income, or beyond their interest level.
> Remember, even the average requirements of using a screenreader is more
> than most sighted folks would learn to use the computer.
> If they cannot touch what they want or click on it with a mouse, it is
> beyond what the majority of sighted folks would be willing to learn, and
> why should the Blind be any different?
> We are forced to learn stuff that many would not even consider if they did
> not have to.
> Believe me, I’m in the real world seeing newly Blinded folks all the time,
> and only the most highly motivated of them are interested in learning to
> use a screenreader.
> I find it disappointing, but that is the truth.
> Glenn
>
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
> Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 1:21 PM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My
> Banking Site
>
> Because of poor training.
>
> Gene
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Ervin, Glenn<mailto:glenn.ervin@...>
> Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 12:56 PM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My
> Banking Site
>
> Hi Gene,
> I gathered that, but it is my experience that the majority of Blind users,
> most of whom aren’t even on a listserve, struggle to use even one
> screenreader, much less other operating systems.
> Glenn
>
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> <nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> On Behalf Of Gene
> Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 12:52 PM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My
> Banking Site
>
> I didn't say that this isn't occurring on the Internet.  I haven't used
> enough sites that are out of my usual use to say.  I am making a general
> statement about blind people using only one screen-reader, as so many do.
> This is the result of poore training.  I wasn't refering specifically to
> or only to the Internet.  I was discussing how so many blind people don't
> realize the advantages to using more than one screen-reader on the
> Internet or elsewhere.  If blind people knew what I said in my last
> message in the thread, they might be more willing to try other
> screen-readers so that when one screen-reader doesn't do something well,
> they might be able to do the thing better or well using another
> screen-reader.
>
> Gene
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Ervin, Glenn<mailto:glenn.ervin@...>
> Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 9:22 AM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My
> Banking Site
>
> Gene,
> All it takes is one element that is a show stopper for someone, and that
> can cause them to stop using a screenreader and give up using a computer.
> I have been a computer user and teacher since the days of DOS, and I have
> spent hours stuck on a page because of inaccessible pages that have no
> work-around, unless you come to a list like this to find out some obscure
> technique that happens to work.
> It sure seems like more and more of this is happening, and it is difficult
> for screenreaders to keep up.
> I don’t agree with your assertion that it is just a matter of training.
> I think with this most recent trend, we will see less and less Blind
> people being able to access pages.
> I don’t know the solution, but I see a bad trend here.
> I hope I’m wrong about the trend.
> Glenn
>
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> <nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> On Behalf Of Gene
> Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 10:04 AM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My
> Banking Site
>
> That's largely because of poor training, however.  Not for everything, but
> for a lot of what people do, you can learn perhaps ten or fifteen commands
> that are different for a different screen-reader and do a lot of what you
> could do before.  Most of what people do uses Windows or program commands.
> a different screen-reader may use different screen review commands and a
> different command for read title bar and certain other commands, but a lot
> of what people do would be the same because a lot of what is done doesn't
> use screen-reader commands.
>
> Gene
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Ervin, Glenn<mailto:glenn.ervin@...>
> Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 9:43 AM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My
> Banking Site
>
> Although this concept of using multiple screenreaders is okay for those of
> us who can do that, but if it comes to that as generally accepted
> practice, then the majority of users are left behind.
> Glenn
>
>
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> <nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
> Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 8:48 AM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> Subject: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My
> Banking Site
>
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 08:58 AM, Davy Cuppens wrote:
> Simply told, the procedure is unaccessible so cal your bank and tel them.
> Not that I don't think this is a good idea, because it is, but you also
> have to understand that accessibility will always be, to some extent, a
> game of catch up.
>
> Web coding keeps changing at blinding speed, and that's not going to stop.
> Sometimes it's a matter of the screen readers catching up to it, and
> particularly when the reason for doing a certain thing a certain way
> revolves around increased security.
>
> It's really generally helpful to check to see if what doesn't work under
> one screen reader might work under another if you happen to have a system
> with two or more screen readers available.  That can help to tease out
> where the issue might lie.
>
> --
>
> Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134
>
>      The psychology of adultery has been falsified by conventional morals,
> which assume, in monogamous countries, that attraction to one person
> cannot co-exist with a serious affection for another.  Everybody knows
> that this is untrue. . .
>
>             ~ Bertrand Russell
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>














Re: training for blind people

 

I have often told my clients that, ideally, their tutor would be a blind individual who is a sophisticated and daily user of JAWS.  There is nothing better than that (if said person is capable of teaching, and I'm going to take that as a given for the sake of discussion).

I will never have the fluidity and, "Oh, yeah, I remember when I hit that issue, or something similar," kind of recall because I am not a daily user of a screen reader.

But the fact remains that this is a catch-22 as well.   There just aren't, and probably will never be, an adequate supply of blind screen reader instructors, and particularly if we're talking about venues that require degrees, certifications, etc.  I've had people (on these very forums, at times) telling me that I should not be teaching blind people.  Well, if that were the case, most of my students would have had, and will continue to have, no options for training at all.  There are also some sighted screen reader instructors who are far more fluid with the technology than the majority of day-to-day users I know (even sophisticated ones).  They're rare, I'm not one of them, but they do exist.  I'm just willing and able to dig in to the documentation when circumstances require it, and I cannot tell you how many instructors and students I've known for whom that seems to be an idea akin to cutting their hands off.   To me, that's standard operating procedure regardless of the task at hand when I encounter a situation with which I am not familiar.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

    The psychology of adultery has been falsified by conventional morals, which assume, in monogamous countries, that attraction to one person cannot co-exist with a serious affection for another.  Everybody knows that this is untrue. . .

           ~ Bertrand Russell

 

 


Re: training for blind people

Davy Cuppens
 

Rosemarie

maybe check some sites for refurbished iphones, I think after the release of last models you could get an iphone SE which is still good and fast enough to handle for less than 200 dollars.
Regards
Davy

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
From: Rosemarie Chavarria
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2018 5:09 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] training for blind people

Hi, Davy,

That's great you were able to learn the iPhone by reading the manual and spending many hours practicing with it. I can't afford to get an iphone because I'm on a fixed income. For the most part, Gene is right but he fails to realize that sites change all the time. I know this because I used to be able to shop for groceries on the Vons site by myself until they changed it. As long as my sister is willing to help me place orders on instacart, I'll graciously accept that help. I don't want to get an iphone just so I can shop on instacart. I just got so used to the keyboard.

Rosemarie



-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Davy Cuppens
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2018 7:47 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] training for blind people

Hi Rosemarie

I did my learning process in just the same way as you did, I did not attend a brail class but had my training in screenreaders for my profession as a receptionist and after that just like you, being patient and learning it myself.

For 4,5 years as a totally inexperienced beginner, I bought an iphone 5s for
900 euro because so many people told me it's the most accessible device in the world. After 2 days I had almost thrown my device in the toilet but the third day I shut myself in my room for 5 hours, started to read the manual, listened to beginners voiceover podcasts and I dare to say now after 4 years that I am one of the most experienced voiceover users and I reached that level after 3 4 months. But I had to spend hours and hours and hours learning, testing etc ...
Maybe this is difficult for some people and therefore I find gene is right.
If you feel it does not work, go to training please! There is nothing wrong with that.
Regards
davy

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
From: Rosemarie Chavarria
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2018 1:55 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

Hi, Sean,

When I got my very first computer, it had a demo version of Window-eyes. It had windows 98 as its operating system. I took a computer class at the Braille Institute ad they taught Jaws. I later saved up some money and bought tutorials. I pretty much did everything on my own. As far as screen readers, I learned Jaws, window-eyes and system access. Now I just use nvda AND IT SUITS MY NEEDS VERY WELL.

rOSEMARIE



-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shaun Everiss
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 2:55 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

To be honest on training, I learned to use ms office xp, windows 95 and jaws 6.

None of that matters anymore.

I don't use jaws, I don't use such an outdated crappy office and windows combo anymore.

I have training for my keynote.

All of it is totally crap, I did most of my stuff myself.

I admit it was good at that time but its not current.

Training is fine especially if you get it but you would have to train yearly to stay updated.



On 9/28/2018 6:35 AM, Ervin, Glenn wrote:
Gene,
The level of training you are referring to is either unaffordable on their
limited income, or beyond their interest level.
Remember, even the average requirements of using a screenreader is more
than most sighted folks would learn to use the computer.
If they cannot touch what they want or click on it with a mouse, it is
beyond what the majority of sighted folks would be willing to learn, and
why should the Blind be any different?
We are forced to learn stuff that many would not even consider if they did
not have to.
Believe me, I’m in the real world seeing newly Blinded folks all the time,
and only the most highly motivated of them are interested in learning to
use a screenreader.
I find it disappointing, but that is the truth.
Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 1:21 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My
Banking Site

Because of poor training.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Ervin, Glenn<mailto:glenn.ervin@nebraska.gov>
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 12:56 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My
Banking Site

Hi Gene,
I gathered that, but it is my experience that the majority of Blind users,
most of whom aren’t even on a listserve, struggle to use even one
screenreader, much less other operating systems.
Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
<nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 12:52 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My
Banking Site

I didn't say that this isn't occurring on the Internet. I haven't used
enough sites that are out of my usual use to say. I am making a general
statement about blind people using only one screen-reader, as so many do.
This is the result of poore training. I wasn't refering specifically to
or only to the Internet. I was discussing how so many blind people don't
realize the advantages to using more than one screen-reader on the
Internet or elsewhere. If blind people knew what I said in my last
message in the thread, they might be more willing to try other
screen-readers so that when one screen-reader doesn't do something well,
they might be able to do the thing better or well using another
screen-reader.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Ervin, Glenn<mailto:glenn.ervin@nebraska.gov>
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 9:22 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My
Banking Site

Gene,
All it takes is one element that is a show stopper for someone, and that
can cause them to stop using a screenreader and give up using a computer.
I have been a computer user and teacher since the days of DOS, and I have
spent hours stuck on a page because of inaccessible pages that have no
work-around, unless you come to a list like this to find out some obscure
technique that happens to work.
It sure seems like more and more of this is happening, and it is difficult
for screenreaders to keep up.
I don’t agree with your assertion that it is just a matter of training.
I think with this most recent trend, we will see less and less Blind
people being able to access pages.
I don’t know the solution, but I see a bad trend here.
I hope I’m wrong about the trend.
Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
<nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 10:04 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My
Banking Site

That's largely because of poor training, however. Not for everything, but
for a lot of what people do, you can learn perhaps ten or fifteen commands
that are different for a different screen-reader and do a lot of what you
could do before. Most of what people do uses Windows or program commands.
a different screen-reader may use different screen review commands and a
different command for read title bar and certain other commands, but a lot
of what people do would be the same because a lot of what is done doesn't
use screen-reader commands.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Ervin, Glenn<mailto:glenn.ervin@nebraska.gov>
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 9:43 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My
Banking Site

Although this concept of using multiple screenreaders is okay for those of
us who can do that, but if it comes to that as generally accepted
practice, then the majority of users are left behind.
Glenn


From: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
<nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 8:48 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My
Banking Site

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 08:58 AM, Davy Cuppens wrote:
Simply told, the procedure is unaccessible so cal your bank and tel them.
Not that I don't think this is a good idea, because it is, but you also
have to understand that accessibility will always be, to some extent, a
game of catch up.

Web coding keeps changing at blinding speed, and that's not going to stop.
Sometimes it's a matter of the screen readers catching up to it, and
particularly when the reason for doing a certain thing a certain way
revolves around increased security.

It's really generally helpful to check to see if what doesn't work under
one screen reader might work under another if you happen to have a system
with two or more screen readers available. That can help to tease out
where the issue might lie.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134

The psychology of adultery has been falsified by conventional morals,
which assume, in monogamous countries, that attraction to one person
cannot co-exist with a serious affection for another. Everybody knows
that this is untrue. . .

~ Bertrand Russell








Re: training for blind people

Gene
 

I wasn't talking about that site.  the person with the problem regarding that site had already reported that the problem had been solved after contacting the bank in question.  There are some sites that are not accessible.  But in a lot of cases, a site is either properly accessible or can be used, and proper training would allow people to use it and to continue using it when it changes.  Sites are going to change.  That is just the nature of the Internet.  
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2018 9:33 AM
Subject: [nvda] training for blind people

HI Gene
 
I do totally agree with you. But I also agree a bit with the others, this specific problem is a problem of inaccessibility of that bank site and lie I had said before, the only thing the person can do is call on their bank and tell them to make it accessible again.
 
But what you say in general is right.
For the enhanced use of computers, devices like smartphones, iphones, screenreaders, many are called but only a few are chosen thanks to a lack of training.
Sometimes I have the feeling that many blind people sit back and relax and when they do have an issue or problem ask a forum. Moreover, if they would have tried first to perform a google search, in 80% of the cases, they could have found a solution for themselves. Then having found that solution gives more satisfaction and a greater chance to remember such things afterwards.
This list is there to help eachother and it is obvious that advanced, engaged, selfmade people will ask less questions than people that have more difficulties or things are not gona be so straight forward. There is nothing wrong with that but I find it a bit a pain here that so many people disagree with you Gene. An idiom here in Belgium literally translated is: where there is a will there will be a way. But some people are not willing enough will.
What also bothers me is that in most rehab institutions I know, instructors do not have enough knowledge or qualification to train blind people according to their needs. Therefore, I almost always do my own training in selfstudy, at first, read the manual, test it out, read lists like this, podcasting and I think if you feel after that it is stull not working, please people say YES WE CAN and go to training, Gene is right in his statement.
Regards
Davy
 
From: Gene
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2018 1:57 AM
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site
 
You are generalizing from a few specifics, not proper logic.  I didn't say all sites are accessible.  Neither did I say that sites don't change.  My point is that proper training would allow blind people to figure out, in most cases, how to use sites when they do change or figure out new ones.  Of course, some sites are or become inaccessible.  I'm not talking about those. 
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 6:37 PM
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site
 

Hi, Gene,

 

With all due respect, sites do constantly change unless they're like the blind mice megamall site. I

i'm sorry but I totally agree with Glen's message. All the training in the world won't help if sites keep changing. I was once able to shop for groceries online with the Vons site but when I talked to someone there, they said it's no longer accesible with screen readers. Why do you think I have to have my sighted sister help me place an order on Instacart? Simple--it's not really accessible. I've talked to friends of mine and they said you almost have to have an iphone to use their accessible app. I believe in looking at the layout of a page so you get familiar with how to use it. I tried shopping by myself on instacart but it didn't work--not even with work-arounds.

 

Rosemarie

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 4:26 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

 

The level of training would be available if proper training were done by those who do it in the first place.  What used to be Freedom Scientific and now has a name that evokes a bird offers a lot of training.  Nothing I am describing is taught in all that training, as far as I know. 

 

I'm a voice in the wilderness.  If blind people would join together and demand proper training, we might get somewhere.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Ervin, Glenn

Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 1:35 PM

Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

 

Gene,

The level of training you are referring to is either unaffordable on their limited income, or beyond their interest level.

Remember, even the average requirements of using a screenreader is more than most sighted folks would learn to use the computer.

If they cannot touch what they want or click on it with a mouse, it is beyond what the majority of sighted folks would be willing to learn, and why should the Blind be any different?

We are forced to learn stuff that many would not even consider if they did not have to.

Believe me, I’m in the real world seeing newly Blinded folks all the time, and only the most highly motivated of them are interested in learning to use a screenreader.

I find it disappointing, but that is the truth.

Glenn

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 1:21 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

 

Because of poor training.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Ervin, Glenn

Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 12:56 PM

Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

 

Hi Gene,

I gathered that, but it is my experience that the majority of Blind users, most of whom aren’t even on a listserve, struggle to use even one screenreader, much less other operating systems.

Glenn

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 12:52 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

 

I didn't say that this isn't occurring on the Internet.  I haven't used enough sites that are out of my usual use to say.  I am making a general statement about blind people using only one screen-reader, as so many do.  This is the result of poore training.  I wasn't refering specifically to or only to the Internet.  I was discussing how so many blind people don't realize the advantages to using more than one screen-reader on the Internet or elsewhere.  If blind people knew what I said in my last message in the thread, they might be more willing to try other screen-readers so that when one screen-reader doesn't do something well, they might be able to do the thing better or well using another screen-reader.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Ervin, Glenn

Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 9:22 AM

Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

 

Gene,

All it takes is one element that is a show stopper for someone, and that can cause them to stop using a screenreader and give up using a computer.

I have been a computer user and teacher since the days of DOS, and I have spent hours stuck on a page because of inaccessible pages that have no work-around, unless you come to a list like this to find out some obscure technique that happens to work.

It sure seems like more and more of this is happening, and it is difficult for screenreaders to keep up.

I don’t agree with your assertion that it is just a matter of training.

I think with this most recent trend, we will see less and less Blind people being able to access pages.

I don’t know the solution, but I see a bad trend here.

I hope I’m wrong about the trend.

Glenn

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 10:04 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

 

That's largely because of poor training, however.  Not for everything, but for a lot of what people do, you can learn perhaps ten or fifteen commands that are different for a different screen-reader and do a lot of what you could do before.  Most of what people do uses Windows or program commands.  a different screen-reader may use different screen review commands and a different command for read title bar and certain other commands, but a lot of what people do would be the same because a lot of what is done doesn't use screen-reader commands.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Ervin, Glenn

Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 9:43 AM

Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

 

Although this concept of using multiple screenreaders is okay for those of us who can do that, but if it comes to that as generally accepted practice, then the majority of users are left behind.

Glenn

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 8:48 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

 

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 08:58 AM, Davy Cuppens wrote:

Simply told, the procedure is unaccessible so cal your bank and tel them.

Not that I don't think this is a good idea, because it is, but you also have to understand that accessibility will always be, to some extent, a game of catch up.

Web coding keeps changing at blinding speed, and that's not going to stop.  Sometimes it's a matter of the screen readers catching up to it, and particularly when the reason for doing a certain thing a certain way revolves around increased security.

It's really generally helpful to check to see if what doesn't work under one screen reader might work under another if you happen to have a system with two or more screen readers available.  That can help to tease out where the issue might lie.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

    The psychology of adultery has been falsified by conventional morals, which assume, in monogamous countries, that attraction to one person cannot co-exist with a serious affection for another.  Everybody knows that this is untrue. . .

           ~ Bertrand Russell

 

 


Re: training for blind people

Rosemarie Chavarria
 

Hi, Davy,

 

I forgot to mention that I also took a computer class at Cyprus College. Believe it or not, the instructor didn't even know how to go into forms mode in Jaws. I had to teach her how to do it. It was pretty embarrassing because she was supposed to be the instructor--not me. I agree that rehab instutions and schools don't really give blind people proper training like they should.

 

Rosemarie

 

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Davy Cuppens
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2018 7:34 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] training for blind people

 

HI Gene

 

I do totally agree with you. But I also agree a bit with the others, this specific problem is a problem of inaccessibility of that bank site and lie I had said before, the only thing the person can do is call on their bank and tell them to make it accessible again.

 

But what you say in general is right.

For the enhanced use of computers, devices like smartphones, iphones, screenreaders, many are called but only a few are chosen thanks to a lack of training.

Sometimes I have the feeling that many blind people sit back and relax and when they do have an issue or problem ask a forum. Moreover, if they would have tried first to perform a google search, in 80% of the cases, they could have found a solution for themselves. Then having found that solution gives more satisfaction and a greater chance to remember such things afterwards.

This list is there to help eachother and it is obvious that advanced, engaged, selfmade people will ask less questions than people that have more difficulties or things are not gona be so straight forward. There is nothing wrong with that but I find it a bit a pain here that so many people disagree with you Gene. An idiom here in Belgium literally translated is: where there is a will there will be a way. But some people are not willing enough will.

What also bothers me is that in most rehab institutions I know, instructors do not have enough knowledge or qualification to train blind people according to their needs. Therefore, I almost always do my own training in selfstudy, at first, read the manual, test it out, read lists like this, podcasting and I think if you feel after that it is stull not working, please people say YES WE CAN and go to training, Gene is right in his statement.

Regards

Davy

 

From: Gene

Sent: Friday, September 28, 2018 1:57 AM

Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

 

You are generalizing from a few specifics, not proper logic.  I didn't say all sites are accessible.  Neither did I say that sites don't change.  My point is that proper training would allow blind people to figure out, in most cases, how to use sites when they do change or figure out new ones.  Of course, some sites are or become inaccessible.  I'm not talking about those. 

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 6:37 PM

Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

 

Hi, Gene,

 

With all due respect, sites do constantly change unless they're like the blind mice megamall site. I

i'm sorry but I totally agree with Glen's message. All the training in the world won't help if sites keep changing. I was once able to shop for groceries online with the Vons site but when I talked to someone there, they said it's no longer accesible with screen readers. Why do you think I have to have my sighted sister help me place an order on Instacart? Simple--it's not really accessible. I've talked to friends of mine and they said you almost have to have an iphone to use their accessible app. I believe in looking at the layout of a page so you get familiar with how to use it. I tried shopping by myself on instacart but it didn't work--not even with work-arounds.

 

Rosemarie

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 4:26 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

 

The level of training would be available if proper training were done by those who do it in the first place.  What used to be Freedom Scientific and now has a name that evokes a bird offers a lot of training.  Nothing I am describing is taught in all that training, as far as I know. 

 

I'm a voice in the wilderness.  If blind people would join together and demand proper training, we might get somewhere.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 1:35 PM

Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

 

Gene,

The level of training you are referring to is either unaffordable on their limited income, or beyond their interest level.

Remember, even the average requirements of using a screenreader is more than most sighted folks would learn to use the computer.

If they cannot touch what they want or click on it with a mouse, it is beyond what the majority of sighted folks would be willing to learn, and why should the Blind be any different?

We are forced to learn stuff that many would not even consider if they did not have to.

Believe me, I’m in the real world seeing newly Blinded folks all the time, and only the most highly motivated of them are interested in learning to use a screenreader.

I find it disappointing, but that is the truth.

Glenn

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 1:21 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

 

Because of poor training.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 12:56 PM

Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

 

Hi Gene,

I gathered that, but it is my experience that the majority of Blind users, most of whom aren’t even on a listserve, struggle to use even one screenreader, much less other operating systems.

Glenn

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 12:52 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

 

I didn't say that this isn't occurring on the Internet.  I haven't used enough sites that are out of my usual use to say.  I am making a general statement about blind people using only one screen-reader, as so many do.  This is the result of poore training.  I wasn't refering specifically to or only to the Internet.  I was discussing how so many blind people don't realize the advantages to using more than one screen-reader on the Internet or elsewhere.  If blind people knew what I said in my last message in the thread, they might be more willing to try other screen-readers so that when one screen-reader doesn't do something well, they might be able to do the thing better or well using another screen-reader.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 9:22 AM

Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

 

Gene,

All it takes is one element that is a show stopper for someone, and that can cause them to stop using a screenreader and give up using a computer.

I have been a computer user and teacher since the days of DOS, and I have spent hours stuck on a page because of inaccessible pages that have no work-around, unless you come to a list like this to find out some obscure technique that happens to work.

It sure seems like more and more of this is happening, and it is difficult for screenreaders to keep up.

I don’t agree with your assertion that it is just a matter of training.

I think with this most recent trend, we will see less and less Blind people being able to access pages.

I don’t know the solution, but I see a bad trend here.

I hope I’m wrong about the trend.

Glenn

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 10:04 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

 

That's largely because of poor training, however.  Not for everything, but for a lot of what people do, you can learn perhaps ten or fifteen commands that are different for a different screen-reader and do a lot of what you could do before.  Most of what people do uses Windows or program commands.  a different screen-reader may use different screen review commands and a different command for read title bar and certain other commands, but a lot of what people do would be the same because a lot of what is done doesn't use screen-reader commands.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 9:43 AM

Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

 

Although this concept of using multiple screenreaders is okay for those of us who can do that, but if it comes to that as generally accepted practice, then the majority of users are left behind.

Glenn

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 8:48 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

 

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 08:58 AM, Davy Cuppens wrote:

Simply told, the procedure is unaccessible so cal your bank and tel them.

Not that I don't think this is a good idea, because it is, but you also have to understand that accessibility will always be, to some extent, a game of catch up.

Web coding keeps changing at blinding speed, and that's not going to stop.  Sometimes it's a matter of the screen readers catching up to it, and particularly when the reason for doing a certain thing a certain way revolves around increased security.

It's really generally helpful to check to see if what doesn't work under one screen reader might work under another if you happen to have a system with two or more screen readers available.  That can help to tease out where the issue might lie.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

    The psychology of adultery has been falsified by conventional morals, which assume, in monogamous countries, that attraction to one person cannot co-exist with a serious affection for another.  Everybody knows that this is untrue. . .

           ~ Bertrand Russell

 

 


Re: Weather Plus 28.09.2018 update available

Karmelo
 

Hi,

 

The error says “sorry the wo id is not set”.

 


Re: Display/No Display of Attributes with Braille Display Focus 40

 

Hi,
You need to go to document formatting settings panel (NvDA menu/Preferences/Settings/Document formatting) and turn off font attributes. But that'll turn off attribute announcement in speech. Don't worry, your wish has been granted (shhh, too early to say when).
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Hermann-Josef Kurzen
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2018 3:26 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Display/No Display of Attributes with Braille Display Focus 40

Hi NVDA-Users,

I'm using a Focus 40 Braille display by FS.
I would like to turn off displaying attributes. What's to do?


Greetings - Hermann


Re: training for blind people

Rosemarie Chavarria
 

Hi, Davy,

That's great you were able to learn the iPhone by reading the manual and spending many hours practicing with it. I can't afford to get an iphone because I'm on a fixed income. For the most part, Gene is right but he fails to realize that sites change all the time. I know this because I used to be able to shop for groceries on the Vons site by myself until they changed it. As long as my sister is willing to help me place orders on instacart, I'll graciously accept that help. I don't want to get an iphone just so I can shop on instacart. I just got so used to the keyboard.

Rosemarie

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Davy Cuppens
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2018 7:47 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] training for blind people

Hi Rosemarie

I did my learning process in just the same way as you did, I did not attend a brail class but had my training in screenreaders for my profession as a receptionist and after that just like you, being patient and learning it myself.

For 4,5 years as a totally inexperienced beginner, I bought an iphone 5s for
900 euro because so many people told me it's the most accessible device in the world. After 2 days I had almost thrown my device in the toilet but the third day I shut myself in my room for 5 hours, started to read the manual, listened to beginners voiceover podcasts and I dare to say now after 4 years that I am one of the most experienced voiceover users and I reached that level after 3 4 months. But I had to spend hours and hours and hours learning, testing etc ...
Maybe this is difficult for some people and therefore I find gene is right.
If you feel it does not work, go to training please! There is nothing wrong with that.
Regards
davy

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
From: Rosemarie Chavarria
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2018 1:55 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

Hi, Sean,

When I got my very first computer, it had a demo version of Window-eyes. It had windows 98 as its operating system. I took a computer class at the Braille Institute ad they taught Jaws. I later saved up some money and bought tutorials. I pretty much did everything on my own. As far as screen readers, I learned Jaws, window-eyes and system access. Now I just use nvda AND IT SUITS MY NEEDS VERY WELL.

rOSEMARIE



-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shaun Everiss
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 2:55 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

To be honest on training, I learned to use ms office xp, windows 95 and jaws 6.

None of that matters anymore.

I don't use jaws, I don't use such an outdated crappy office and windows combo anymore.

I have training for my keynote.

All of it is totally crap, I did most of my stuff myself.

I admit it was good at that time but its not current.

Training is fine especially if you get it but you would have to train yearly to stay updated.



On 9/28/2018 6:35 AM, Ervin, Glenn wrote:
Gene,
The level of training you are referring to is either unaffordable on their
limited income, or beyond their interest level.
Remember, even the average requirements of using a screenreader is more
than most sighted folks would learn to use the computer.
If they cannot touch what they want or click on it with a mouse, it is
beyond what the majority of sighted folks would be willing to learn, and
why should the Blind be any different?
We are forced to learn stuff that many would not even consider if they did
not have to.
Believe me, I’m in the real world seeing newly Blinded folks all the time,
and only the most highly motivated of them are interested in learning to
use a screenreader.
I find it disappointing, but that is the truth.
Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 1:21 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My
Banking Site

Because of poor training.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Ervin, Glenn<mailto:glenn.ervin@nebraska.gov>
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 12:56 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My
Banking Site

Hi Gene,
I gathered that, but it is my experience that the majority of Blind users,
most of whom aren’t even on a listserve, struggle to use even one
screenreader, much less other operating systems.
Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
<nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 12:52 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My
Banking Site

I didn't say that this isn't occurring on the Internet. I haven't used
enough sites that are out of my usual use to say. I am making a general
statement about blind people using only one screen-reader, as so many do.
This is the result of poore training. I wasn't refering specifically to
or only to the Internet. I was discussing how so many blind people don't
realize the advantages to using more than one screen-reader on the
Internet or elsewhere. If blind people knew what I said in my last
message in the thread, they might be more willing to try other
screen-readers so that when one screen-reader doesn't do something well,
they might be able to do the thing better or well using another
screen-reader.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Ervin, Glenn<mailto:glenn.ervin@nebraska.gov>
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 9:22 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My
Banking Site

Gene,
All it takes is one element that is a show stopper for someone, and that
can cause them to stop using a screenreader and give up using a computer.
I have been a computer user and teacher since the days of DOS, and I have
spent hours stuck on a page because of inaccessible pages that have no
work-around, unless you come to a list like this to find out some obscure
technique that happens to work.
It sure seems like more and more of this is happening, and it is difficult
for screenreaders to keep up.
I don’t agree with your assertion that it is just a matter of training.
I think with this most recent trend, we will see less and less Blind
people being able to access pages.
I don’t know the solution, but I see a bad trend here.
I hope I’m wrong about the trend.
Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
<nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 10:04 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My
Banking Site

That's largely because of poor training, however. Not for everything, but
for a lot of what people do, you can learn perhaps ten or fifteen commands
that are different for a different screen-reader and do a lot of what you
could do before. Most of what people do uses Windows or program commands.
a different screen-reader may use different screen review commands and a
different command for read title bar and certain other commands, but a lot
of what people do would be the same because a lot of what is done doesn't
use screen-reader commands.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Ervin, Glenn<mailto:glenn.ervin@nebraska.gov>
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 9:43 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My
Banking Site

Although this concept of using multiple screenreaders is okay for those of
us who can do that, but if it comes to that as generally accepted
practice, then the majority of users are left behind.
Glenn


From: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
<nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 8:48 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My
Banking Site

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 08:58 AM, Davy Cuppens wrote:
Simply told, the procedure is unaccessible so cal your bank and tel them.
Not that I don't think this is a good idea, because it is, but you also
have to understand that accessibility will always be, to some extent, a
game of catch up.

Web coding keeps changing at blinding speed, and that's not going to stop.
Sometimes it's a matter of the screen readers catching up to it, and
particularly when the reason for doing a certain thing a certain way
revolves around increased security.

It's really generally helpful to check to see if what doesn't work under
one screen reader might work under another if you happen to have a system
with two or more screen readers available. That can help to tease out
where the issue might lie.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134

The psychology of adultery has been falsified by conventional morals,
which assume, in monogamous countries, that attraction to one person
cannot co-exist with a serious affection for another. Everybody knows
that this is untrue. . .

~ Bertrand Russell








training for blind people

Davy Cuppens
 

Hi Rosemarie

I did my learning process in just the same way as you did, I did not attend a brail class but had my training in screenreaders for my profession as a receptionist and after that just like you, being patient and learning it myself.

For 4,5 years as a totally inexperienced beginner, I bought an iphone 5s for 900 euro because so many people told me it's the most accessible device in the world. After 2 days I had almost thrown my device in the toilet but the third day I shut myself in my room for 5 hours, started to read the manual, listened to beginners voiceover podcasts and I dare to say now after 4 years that I am one of the most experienced voiceover users and I reached that level after 3 4 months. But I had to spend hours and hours and hours learning, testing etc ...
Maybe this is difficult for some people and therefore I find gene is right. If you feel it does not work, go to training please! There is nothing wrong with that.
Regards
davy

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
From: Rosemarie Chavarria
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2018 1:55 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

Hi, Sean,

When I got my very first computer, it had a demo version of Window-eyes. It had windows 98 as its operating system. I took a computer class at the Braille Institute ad they taught Jaws. I later saved up some money and bought tutorials. I pretty much did everything on my own. As far as screen readers, I learned Jaws, window-eyes and system access. Now I just use nvda AND IT SUITS MY NEEDS VERY WELL.

rOSEMARIE



-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shaun Everiss
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 2:55 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

To be honest on training, I learned to use ms office xp, windows 95 and jaws 6.

None of that matters anymore.

I don't use jaws, I don't use such an outdated crappy office and windows combo anymore.

I have training for my keynote.

All of it is totally crap, I did most of my stuff myself.

I admit it was good at that time but its not current.

Training is fine especially if you get it but you would have to train yearly to stay updated.



On 9/28/2018 6:35 AM, Ervin, Glenn wrote:
Gene,
The level of training you are referring to is either unaffordable on their limited income, or beyond their interest level.
Remember, even the average requirements of using a screenreader is more than most sighted folks would learn to use the computer.
If they cannot touch what they want or click on it with a mouse, it is beyond what the majority of sighted folks would be willing to learn, and why should the Blind be any different?
We are forced to learn stuff that many would not even consider if they did not have to.
Believe me, I’m in the real world seeing newly Blinded folks all the time, and only the most highly motivated of them are interested in learning to use a screenreader.
I find it disappointing, but that is the truth.
Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 1:21 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

Because of poor training.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Ervin, Glenn<mailto:glenn.ervin@nebraska.gov>
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 12:56 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

Hi Gene,
I gathered that, but it is my experience that the majority of Blind users, most of whom aren’t even on a listserve, struggle to use even one screenreader, much less other operating systems.
Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> <nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 12:52 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

I didn't say that this isn't occurring on the Internet. I haven't used enough sites that are out of my usual use to say. I am making a general statement about blind people using only one screen-reader, as so many do. This is the result of poore training. I wasn't refering specifically to or only to the Internet. I was discussing how so many blind people don't realize the advantages to using more than one screen-reader on the Internet or elsewhere. If blind people knew what I said in my last message in the thread, they might be more willing to try other screen-readers so that when one screen-reader doesn't do something well, they might be able to do the thing better or well using another screen-reader.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Ervin, Glenn<mailto:glenn.ervin@nebraska.gov>
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 9:22 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

Gene,
All it takes is one element that is a show stopper for someone, and that can cause them to stop using a screenreader and give up using a computer.
I have been a computer user and teacher since the days of DOS, and I have spent hours stuck on a page because of inaccessible pages that have no work-around, unless you come to a list like this to find out some obscure technique that happens to work.
It sure seems like more and more of this is happening, and it is difficult for screenreaders to keep up.
I don’t agree with your assertion that it is just a matter of training.
I think with this most recent trend, we will see less and less Blind people being able to access pages.
I don’t know the solution, but I see a bad trend here.
I hope I’m wrong about the trend.
Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> <nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 10:04 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

That's largely because of poor training, however. Not for everything, but for a lot of what people do, you can learn perhaps ten or fifteen commands that are different for a different screen-reader and do a lot of what you could do before. Most of what people do uses Windows or program commands. a different screen-reader may use different screen review commands and a different command for read title bar and certain other commands, but a lot of what people do would be the same because a lot of what is done doesn't use screen-reader commands.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Ervin, Glenn<mailto:glenn.ervin@nebraska.gov>
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 9:43 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

Although this concept of using multiple screenreaders is okay for those of us who can do that, but if it comes to that as generally accepted practice, then the majority of users are left behind.
Glenn


From: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> <nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 8:48 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 08:58 AM, Davy Cuppens wrote:
Simply told, the procedure is unaccessible so cal your bank and tel them.
Not that I don't think this is a good idea, because it is, but you also have to understand that accessibility will always be, to some extent, a game of catch up.

Web coding keeps changing at blinding speed, and that's not going to stop. Sometimes it's a matter of the screen readers catching up to it, and particularly when the reason for doing a certain thing a certain way revolves around increased security.

It's really generally helpful to check to see if what doesn't work under one screen reader might work under another if you happen to have a system with two or more screen readers available. That can help to tease out where the issue might lie.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134

The psychology of adultery has been falsified by conventional morals, which assume, in monogamous countries, that attraction to one person cannot co-exist with a serious affection for another. Everybody knows that this is untrue. . .

~ Bertrand Russell








Re: closing the NVDA About window

Clare Page <clare.page@...>
 

Hi!

You don’t need to use alt+F4 or Escape, or even the Tab key, to close the About dialogue in the Help menu of NVDA: the window closes with an OK button. All you need to do is to press the spacebar at any point during the reading of the About message: the OK button will be activated, and the window with the About message in it will close.

I hope this helps!

Bye for now!

From Clare

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Giles Turnbull
Sent: vendredi 28 septembre 2018 16:20
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] closing the NVDA About window

 

Hi All,

I was just looking in the About window to see which version of NVDA I have installed, and it is 2018.3.2 ... now I know that I am unable to close that About dialogue!

Presing Escape, Alt+F4 produce no results, and tabbing around finds no close button!

I think I remember something similar happning with configuration windows back in NVDA 2017, so wonder if it might be related ... is anybody else experienceing this?

Thanks,

Giles


training for blind people

Davy Cuppens
 

HI Gene
 
I do totally agree with you. But I also agree a bit with the others, this specific problem is a problem of inaccessibility of that bank site and lie I had said before, the only thing the person can do is call on their bank and tell them to make it accessible again.
 
But what you say in general is right.
For the enhanced use of computers, devices like smartphones, iphones, screenreaders, many are called but only a few are chosen thanks to a lack of training.
Sometimes I have the feeling that many blind people sit back and relax and when they do have an issue or problem ask a forum. Moreover, if they would have tried first to perform a google search, in 80% of the cases, they could have found a solution for themselves. Then having found that solution gives more satisfaction and a greater chance to remember such things afterwards.
This list is there to help eachother and it is obvious that advanced, engaged, selfmade people will ask less questions than people that have more difficulties or things are not gona be so straight forward. There is nothing wrong with that but I find it a bit a pain here that so many people disagree with you Gene. An idiom here in Belgium literally translated is: where there is a will there will be a way. But some people are not willing enough will.
What also bothers me is that in most rehab institutions I know, instructors do not have enough knowledge or qualification to train blind people according to their needs. Therefore, I almost always do my own training in selfstudy, at first, read the manual, test it out, read lists like this, podcasting and I think if you feel after that it is stull not working, please people say YES WE CAN and go to training, Gene is right in his statement.
Regards
Davy
 

From: Gene
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2018 1:57 AM
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site
 
You are generalizing from a few specifics, not proper logic.  I didn't say all sites are accessible.  Neither did I say that sites don't change.  My point is that proper training would allow blind people to figure out, in most cases, how to use sites when they do change or figure out new ones.  Of course, some sites are or become inaccessible.  I'm not talking about those. 
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 6:37 PM
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site
 

Hi, Gene,

 

With all due respect, sites do constantly change unless they're like the blind mice megamall site. I

i'm sorry but I totally agree with Glen's message. All the training in the world won't help if sites keep changing. I was once able to shop for groceries online with the Vons site but when I talked to someone there, they said it's no longer accesible with screen readers. Why do you think I have to have my sighted sister help me place an order on Instacart? Simple--it's not really accessible. I've talked to friends of mine and they said you almost have to have an iphone to use their accessible app. I believe in looking at the layout of a page so you get familiar with how to use it. I tried shopping by myself on instacart but it didn't work--not even with work-arounds.

 

Rosemarie

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 4:26 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

 

The level of training would be available if proper training were done by those who do it in the first place.  What used to be Freedom Scientific and now has a name that evokes a bird offers a lot of training.  Nothing I am describing is taught in all that training, as far as I know. 

 

I'm a voice in the wilderness.  If blind people would join together and demand proper training, we might get somewhere.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Ervin, Glenn

Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 1:35 PM

Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

 

Gene,

The level of training you are referring to is either unaffordable on their limited income, or beyond their interest level.

Remember, even the average requirements of using a screenreader is more than most sighted folks would learn to use the computer.

If they cannot touch what they want or click on it with a mouse, it is beyond what the majority of sighted folks would be willing to learn, and why should the Blind be any different?

We are forced to learn stuff that many would not even consider if they did not have to.

Believe me, I’m in the real world seeing newly Blinded folks all the time, and only the most highly motivated of them are interested in learning to use a screenreader.

I find it disappointing, but that is the truth.

Glenn

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 1:21 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

 

Because of poor training.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Ervin, Glenn

Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 12:56 PM

Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

 

Hi Gene,

I gathered that, but it is my experience that the majority of Blind users, most of whom aren’t even on a listserve, struggle to use even one screenreader, much less other operating systems.

Glenn

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 12:52 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

 

I didn't say that this isn't occurring on the Internet.  I haven't used enough sites that are out of my usual use to say.  I am making a general statement about blind people using only one screen-reader, as so many do.  This is the result of poore training.  I wasn't refering specifically to or only to the Internet.  I was discussing how so many blind people don't realize the advantages to using more than one screen-reader on the Internet or elsewhere.  If blind people knew what I said in my last message in the thread, they might be more willing to try other screen-readers so that when one screen-reader doesn't do something well, they might be able to do the thing better or well using another screen-reader.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Ervin, Glenn

Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 9:22 AM

Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

 

Gene,

All it takes is one element that is a show stopper for someone, and that can cause them to stop using a screenreader and give up using a computer.

I have been a computer user and teacher since the days of DOS, and I have spent hours stuck on a page because of inaccessible pages that have no work-around, unless you come to a list like this to find out some obscure technique that happens to work.

It sure seems like more and more of this is happening, and it is difficult for screenreaders to keep up.

I don’t agree with your assertion that it is just a matter of training.

I think with this most recent trend, we will see less and less Blind people being able to access pages.

I don’t know the solution, but I see a bad trend here.

I hope I’m wrong about the trend.

Glenn

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 10:04 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

 

That's largely because of poor training, however.  Not for everything, but for a lot of what people do, you can learn perhaps ten or fifteen commands that are different for a different screen-reader and do a lot of what you could do before.  Most of what people do uses Windows or program commands.  a different screen-reader may use different screen review commands and a different command for read title bar and certain other commands, but a lot of what people do would be the same because a lot of what is done doesn't use screen-reader commands.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Ervin, Glenn

Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 9:43 AM

Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

 

Although this concept of using multiple screenreaders is okay for those of us who can do that, but if it comes to that as generally accepted practice, then the majority of users are left behind.

Glenn

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 8:48 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] Problem With Submit Button On My Banking Site

 

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 08:58 AM, Davy Cuppens wrote:

Simply told, the procedure is unaccessible so cal your bank and tel them.

Not that I don't think this is a good idea, because it is, but you also have to understand that accessibility will always be, to some extent, a game of catch up.

Web coding keeps changing at blinding speed, and that's not going to stop.  Sometimes it's a matter of the screen readers catching up to it, and particularly when the reason for doing a certain thing a certain way revolves around increased security.

It's really generally helpful to check to see if what doesn't work under one screen reader might work under another if you happen to have a system with two or more screen readers available.  That can help to tease out where the issue might lie.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

    The psychology of adultery has been falsified by conventional morals, which assume, in monogamous countries, that attraction to one person cannot co-exist with a serious affection for another.  Everybody knows that this is untrue. . .

           ~ Bertrand Russell

 

 


Re: closing the NVDA About window

Giles Turnbull
 

apologies ... I'm talking nonsense! The About window is closing with a press of the Escape key, it is the Speech Viewer window that won't close. In the end I closed NVDA and re-started to remove the speech viewer window.

Similar problem, just correcting the details! :)

Giles


closing the NVDA About window

Giles Turnbull
 

Hi All,

I was just looking in the About window to see which version of NVDA I have installed, and it is 2018.3.2 ... now I know that I am unable to close that About dialogue!

Presing Escape, Alt+F4 produce no results, and tabbing around finds no close button!

I think I remember something similar happning with configuration windows back in NVDA 2017, so wonder if it might be related ... is anybody else experienceing this?

Thanks,

Giles


Re: Automatically start NVDA after I log on to Windows, unchecked after updates

Brice Mijares
 

This also happened to me after last update earlier this week.

On 9/28/2018 3:40 AM, Iv�n Novegil via Groups.Io wrote:
Hello all.
I don't know if this has been already reported, so before addressing this issue through GitHub I would like to ask there about this.
Since 2018.1 update or so, whenever I update NVDA, the "Automatically start NVDA after I log on to Windows" checkbox becomes unchecked. I thought that this was an issolated strange problem, but another user has said me that he is also able to reproduce this bug.
Has someone experienced this behavior and is there any opened issue on GitHub regarding this?
Thanks in advance. Regards.
--
Iv�n Novegil Cancelas
Editor
ivan.novegil@nvda.es <mailto:ivan.novegil@nvda.es>
NVDA.es Logo
Comunidad hispanohablante de NVDA | Proyecto NVDA.es
- www.NVDA.es <https://nvda.es>
- @nvda_es <https://twitter.com/nvda_es>
Usuario do NVDA en galego
***Note que a anterior mensaxe e/ou os seus adxuntos pode conter informaci�n privada ou confidencial. O emprego da informaci�n desta mensaxe e/ou dos seus adxuntos est� reservado ao �mbito privado do destinatario ag�s autorizaci�n do remitente. Se recibiu esta mensaxe por erro comun�queo por esta mesma v�a e destr�a a mensaxe.***


Re: Weather Plus 28.09.2018 update available

Adriano Barbieri
 


Hi,
 
What kind of error?
At least you've set a city by the settings of Weather Plus?
 
Cheers
Adriano
 
 

----- Original Message -----
From: Karmelo
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2018 1:55 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Weather Plus 28.09.2018 update available

Dear Adriano,

 

I am trying to setup weather plus for the first time but am getting an error.  No wo id.  I live in Malta Europe.  Could you help me please.

 

Thank you very much,

Charles Borg