Date   

Re: Windows 10 version 1809 being shelved do to major issues

Ian Blackburn
 

Yes you do get some problems with this update
One machine I have worked fine
Younger and older one connected by Wi-Fi broke the Internet connection properties


On 11 Oct 2018, at 7:28 pm, Tony Ballou <cyberpro224@...> wrote:

Hi Gene,


Honestly, there seems to be more of this occurring in the last decade or so going as far back as windows Vista.  Windows 7 was the fix for that debacle. I've yet to read this article, and much thanks for the post my friend.  I am inclined to agree with the premise that it is just plain carelessness and negligence on somebody's part there.   The insider updates come almost too frequently for me to keep up with and test, and with other things on the plate right now I've dropped messing around with it and maybe its not the worst move I've made on my part.  I can't stress it enough to everyone just how important it is to back everything up.  For drives can hit the skids on you, and as Microsoft has now shown and unfortunately proven to us that files can disappear and be gone without a trace.


Tony


On 10/9/2018 7:31 AM, Gene wrote:

It may be worse than I thought.  it may be just plain neglegence. 
 
In my past writings on this subject, I've assumed that the problem in the latest major update was caused by defects in the insider program in identifying problems and the pressure of too frequent updates.  This comment in an article on the Kim Komando site raises the very real possibility that its just plain carelessness and neglegence.  This may become a major story and may result in major changes in how Microsoft handles updates. 
 
And this problem is yet another reminder to back up everything you don't want to lose.  If you don't, sooner or later, you'll lose a lot or all of your files because something is going to happen. 
 
https://www.komando.com/happening-now/495846/windows-update-halted-by-microsoft-for-major-problems
Perhaps more troubling are the reports stating that the bug existed even on the Windows Insider preview versions of the update. Isn't this precisely the thing beta testing is for?
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Gene
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2018 12:40 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows 10 version 1809 being shelved do to major issues

But in the old days, Windows didn't get a full upgrade every six months.  Service packs were infrequent--perhaps two or three or four years apart.  Windows 7 only had one.  Perhaps Microsoft should look through its records of who had problems with Windows 10 upgrades through Windows 10's history.  Perhaps they can identify certain combinations of hardware and software that are prone to problems.  They then can actively attempt to recruit members of the Insider program who run such combinations.  It appears the Insider program is not working as expected. 
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2018 11:22 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows 10 version 1809 being shelved do to major issues

Windows rollout problems have been with us since the last millennium.  Remember Windows 98, it crashed, right there, on stage with  Bill Gates at the helm.

This just seems to be part of windows reality.  It seems we must live with it or  leave it.  There is a choice.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: October-08-18 9:08 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows 10 version 1809 being shelved do to major issues

 

What is wrong with the insider program that this problem wasn't known before the rollout?  Are there too few people in the program?  Should there be more attention to trying to get more users who use Windows in different ways and on more varied equipment?  Microsoft is developing a reputation for bad rollouts, hardly helpful for the company achieving its goals of having people accept "Windows as a service." 

 

In an article I read yesterday from a reliable source, it was stated that both this major upgrade and the one before it had serious problems.  I don't recall the details now, but I recall reading about how the previous upgrade put some users machines into infinite bootup loops.  I don't recall what other problems may have been in that upgrade.  Again, what is wrong with the insider program that this wasn't caught? 

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, October 08, 2018 9:48 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows 10 version 1809 being shelved do to major issues

 

Yes Jonathan Mosen was mentioning about it this very morning. Though he says
none of his machines have had the issue. There was also so question marks
about third party anti virusses maybe blocking the back up of files when
Windows tries to move them as well.

So who is going to sue for lost data?
 The more I hear the more I'm glad I'm on windows 7, even if it won't read
dropbox dialogue boxes any more.
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Ballou" <cyberpro224@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2018 1:31 PM
Subject: [nvda] Windows 10 version 1809 being shelved do to major issues


> Howdy,
>
>
> From our win10 sister list and other reputable sources in the wires and
> colleagues from my personal network there have been loads of reports
> about people losing their data when they upgrade from windows 10 version
> 1803 to version 1809. Microsoft has put the version 1809 update back on
> the shelf until they figure out what is happening. This seems to be
> happening to folks who are signed into one drive while they run the
> upgrade. Systems that are not signed into one drive appear not to have
> the issue. You can read more of this here.
>
>
> https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/6/17944966/microsoft-windows-10-october-2018-update-documents-deleted-issues-windows-update-paused
>
>
> Tony
>
>
>
>
>




Re: Windows 10 version 1809 being shelved do to major issues

Tony Ballou
 

Hi Gene,


Honestly, there seems to be more of this occurring in the last decade or so going as far back as windows Vista.  Windows 7 was the fix for that debacle. I've yet to read this article, and much thanks for the post my friend.  I am inclined to agree with the premise that it is just plain carelessness and negligence on somebody's part there.   The insider updates come almost too frequently for me to keep up with and test, and with other things on the plate right now I've dropped messing around with it and maybe its not the worst move I've made on my part.  I can't stress it enough to everyone just how important it is to back everything up.  For drives can hit the skids on you, and as Microsoft has now shown and unfortunately proven to us that files can disappear and be gone without a trace.


Tony


On 10/9/2018 7:31 AM, Gene wrote:

It may be worse than I thought.  it may be just plain neglegence. 
 
In my past writings on this subject, I've assumed that the problem in the latest major update was caused by defects in the insider program in identifying problems and the pressure of too frequent updates.  This comment in an article on the Kim Komando site raises the very real possibility that its just plain carelessness and neglegence.  This may become a major story and may result in major changes in how Microsoft handles updates. 
 
And this problem is yet another reminder to back up everything you don't want to lose.  If you don't, sooner or later, you'll lose a lot or all of your files because something is going to happen. 
 
https://www.komando.com/happening-now/495846/windows-update-halted-by-microsoft-for-major-problems
Perhaps more troubling are the reports stating that the bug existed even on the Windows Insider preview versions of the update. Isn't this precisely the thing beta testing is for?
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Gene
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2018 12:40 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows 10 version 1809 being shelved do to major issues

But in the old days, Windows didn't get a full upgrade every six months.  Service packs were infrequent--perhaps two or three or four years apart.  Windows 7 only had one.  Perhaps Microsoft should look through its records of who had problems with Windows 10 upgrades through Windows 10's history.  Perhaps they can identify certain combinations of hardware and software that are prone to problems.  They then can actively attempt to recruit members of the Insider program who run such combinations.  It appears the Insider program is not working as expected. 
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2018 11:22 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows 10 version 1809 being shelved do to major issues

Windows rollout problems have been with us since the last millennium.  Remember Windows 98, it crashed, right there, on stage with  Bill Gates at the helm.

This just seems to be part of windows reality.  It seems we must live with it or  leave it.  There is a choice.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: October-08-18 9:08 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows 10 version 1809 being shelved do to major issues

 

What is wrong with the insider program that this problem wasn't known before the rollout?  Are there too few people in the program?  Should there be more attention to trying to get more users who use Windows in different ways and on more varied equipment?  Microsoft is developing a reputation for bad rollouts, hardly helpful for the company achieving its goals of having people accept "Windows as a service." 

 

In an article I read yesterday from a reliable source, it was stated that both this major upgrade and the one before it had serious problems.  I don't recall the details now, but I recall reading about how the previous upgrade put some users machines into infinite bootup loops.  I don't recall what other problems may have been in that upgrade.  Again, what is wrong with the insider program that this wasn't caught? 

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, October 08, 2018 9:48 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows 10 version 1809 being shelved do to major issues

 

Yes Jonathan Mosen was mentioning about it this very morning. Though he says
none of his machines have had the issue. There was also so question marks
about third party anti virusses maybe blocking the back up of files when
Windows tries to move them as well.

So who is going to sue for lost data?
 The more I hear the more I'm glad I'm on windows 7, even if it won't read
dropbox dialogue boxes any more.
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Ballou" <cyberpro224@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2018 1:31 PM
Subject: [nvda] Windows 10 version 1809 being shelved do to major issues


> Howdy,
>
>
> From our win10 sister list and other reputable sources in the wires and
> colleagues from my personal network there have been loads of reports
> about people losing their data when they upgrade from windows 10 version
> 1803 to version 1809. Microsoft has put the version 1809 update back on
> the shelf until they figure out what is happening. This seems to be
> happening to folks who are signed into one drive while they run the
> upgrade. Systems that are not signed into one drive appear not to have
> the issue. You can read more of this here.
>
>
> https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/6/17944966/microsoft-windows-10-october-2018-update-documents-deleted-issues-windows-update-paused
>
>
> Tony
>
>
>
>
>




Re: Recuva

Tony Ballou
 

Hi,


Yes, I have, and it works well with NVDA.


tony

On 10/10/2018 8:22 PM, Don H wrote:
Has anyone tried using the Recuva recovery software package made by
the same company that makes ccleaner?




Re: Can NVDA be used in the Nepali language

Jo Fullerton
 

Hi Quentin

Thank you for that very useful information. I will pass it on to my customer. 

Kind regards

Jo

Jo Fullerton

Technology for Life Coordinator 

RNIB Scotland Employment and Learning Centre

Moulsdale House

24D Milton Road East

Edinburgh EH15 2NJ

Tel: 0131 657 8205

Mobile: 07968 200094 







On 11 Oct 2018, at 11:15, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:

Hi Jo,

According to our translation page at https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/wiki/Translating

NVDA was last translated to Nepalese in 2016 and we are in need of a new translator.  That means that some of NVDA's user interface will still likely be correct in Nepalese, and anything added since 2016 won't have been translated.  That's the user interface itself.  In terms of reading out information from the computer, eSpeak NG (the more robotic voice which is the default on Windows 7) does work in Nepalese.  I don't have a list of Windows OneCore voices, so I am not 100% sure whether it is available in Nepalese in Windows 10.

As for our user interface, if you are, or you know someone who might be interested in helping translate to Nepalese again, the details are available on that page I liked to.  The first step would be to join the translation mailing list and say hi - that way if anyone else has expressed an interest in it (but not yet updated the translation) you can discuss between you how best to proceed.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 8:29 PM Jo Fullerton <Jo.Fullerton@...> wrote:

Hi

 

Does anyone know if NVDA can be used in the Nepali language?   I saw a reference to Nepali in a list of languages supported by NVDA but couldn't find any detail.  There are some specific language NVDA user groups but Nepali is not one of them. 

 

Jo

 

Jo Fullerton,

Technology for Life Coordinator, Scotland

RNIB (Royal National Institute of Blind People)

t: 0303 123 9999 (all enquiries)

e: tfl.mailbox@...

e: www.rnib.org.uk

Join us on Facebook:

www.facebook.com/rnibuk

Follow us on twitter:

www.twitter.com/rnib

 

 

 


--

Sight loss isn’t black and white - we all see things differently. Explore this spectrum of sight with #HowISee: watch our film at rnib.org.uk/HowISee 

--

DISCLAIMER:

NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any attachments is confidential and may be privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient you should not use, disclose, distribute or copy any of the content of it or of any attachment; you are requested to notify the sender immediately of your receipt of the email and then to delete it and any attachments from your system.

RNIB endeavours to ensure that emails and any attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses or other contaminants.  However, it cannot accept any responsibility for any  such which are transmitted.

We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email and any attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: https://www.rnib.org.uk



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 


--

Sight loss isn’t black and white - we all see things differently. Explore this spectrum of sight with #HowISee: watch our film at rnib.org.uk/HowISee 

--

DISCLAIMER:

NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any attachments is confidential and may be privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient you should not use, disclose, distribute or copy any of the content of it or of any attachment; you are requested to notify the sender immediately of your receipt of the email and then to delete it and any attachments from your system.

RNIB endeavours to ensure that emails and any attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses or other contaminants.  However, it cannot accept any responsibility for any  such which are transmitted.

We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email and any attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: https://www.rnib.org.uk


Re: Can NVDA be used in the Nepali language

Quentin Christensen
 

Hi Jo,

According to our translation page at https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/wiki/Translating

NVDA was last translated to Nepalese in 2016 and we are in need of a new translator.  That means that some of NVDA's user interface will still likely be correct in Nepalese, and anything added since 2016 won't have been translated.  That's the user interface itself.  In terms of reading out information from the computer, eSpeak NG (the more robotic voice which is the default on Windows 7) does work in Nepalese.  I don't have a list of Windows OneCore voices, so I am not 100% sure whether it is available in Nepalese in Windows 10.

As for our user interface, if you are, or you know someone who might be interested in helping translate to Nepalese again, the details are available on that page I liked to.  The first step would be to join the translation mailing list and say hi - that way if anyone else has expressed an interest in it (but not yet updated the translation) you can discuss between you how best to proceed.

Kind regards

Quentin.


On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 8:29 PM Jo Fullerton <Jo.Fullerton@...> wrote:

Hi

 

Does anyone know if NVDA can be used in the Nepali language?   I saw a reference to Nepali in a list of languages supported by NVDA but couldn't find any detail.  There are some specific language NVDA user groups but Nepali is not one of them. 

 

Jo

 

Jo Fullerton,

Technology for Life Coordinator, Scotland

RNIB (Royal National Institute of Blind People)

t: 0303 123 9999 (all enquiries)

e: tfl.mailbox@...

e: www.rnib.org.uk

Join us on Facebook:

www.facebook.com/rnibuk

Follow us on twitter:

www.twitter.com/rnib

 

 

 


--

Sight loss isn’t black and white - we all see things differently. Explore this spectrum of sight with #HowISee: watch our film at rnib.org.uk/HowISee 

--

DISCLAIMER:

NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any attachments is confidential and may be privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient you should not use, disclose, distribute or copy any of the content of it or of any attachment; you are requested to notify the sender immediately of your receipt of the email and then to delete it and any attachments from your system.

RNIB endeavours to ensure that emails and any attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses or other contaminants.  However, it cannot accept any responsibility for any  such which are transmitted.

We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email and any attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: https://www.rnib.org.uk



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 


Can NVDA be used in the Nepali language

Jo Fullerton
 

Hi

 

Does anyone know if NVDA can be used in the Nepali language?   I saw a reference to Nepali in a list of languages supported by NVDA but couldn't find any detail.  There are some specific language NVDA user groups but Nepali is not one of them. 

 

Jo

 

Jo Fullerton,

Technology for Life Coordinator, Scotland

RNIB (Royal National Institute of Blind People)

t: 0303 123 9999 (all enquiries)

e: tfl.mailbox@...

e: www.rnib.org.uk

Join us on Facebook:

www.facebook.com/rnibuk

Follow us on twitter:

www.twitter.com/rnib

 

 

 


--

Sight loss isn’t black and white - we all see things differently. Explore this spectrum of sight with #HowISee: watch our film at rnib.org.uk/HowISee 

--

DISCLAIMER:

NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any attachments is confidential and may be privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient you should not use, disclose, distribute or copy any of the content of it or of any attachment; you are requested to notify the sender immediately of your receipt of the email and then to delete it and any attachments from your system.

RNIB endeavours to ensure that emails and any attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses or other contaminants.  However, it cannot accept any responsibility for any  such which are transmitted.

We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email and any attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: https://www.rnib.org.uk


Re: donating problem via visa

anthony borg
 

Hi quentin

According to what I was told that it was refusing my visa card.

I have used it to buy things on the internet, and I had no problems.

To tell you the truth, I always ask a sighted person to do it for me.

I don’t trust such a serious thing like this.

Regards

Anthony  

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: 10 October 2018 00:45
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] donating problem via visa

 

Is it giving you an error Anthony?  Or what is happening when you try to donate?

 

Regards

 

Quentin.

 

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 6:11 AM anthony borg <anthonyborg001@...> wrote:

Hi quentin

I really can’t understand why I have tried many times to use the visa card to donate but it isn’t accepting it.

I don’t use the paypal.

With thanks in advance

Anthony

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: 09 October 2018 11:04
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: donating problem via visa

 

Not for the most part, in fact I would argue to an extent they have crippled Office's useability by refusing to abandon some really old keystrokes - for instance just on the ribbons, half the reason they are so hard to remember is that they aren't logical.  The Insert ribbon isn't alt+i, because they kept that for people wanting to use old Office 2003 shortcuts, so it's alt+n.  Similarly the View ribbon can't be alt+v in case an Office 2003 user only knows the old way of doing things, so the View ribbon is alt+w..  The Help ribbon is relegated to Alt+Y1.  Nothing is alt+d, yet the developer ribbon is alt+L, meaning the layout ribbon gets alt+p. 

 

To be honest, the whole thing is a nightmare.  So in short, I expect the reason control+shift+page+down doesn't work is not that they've just changed it, just that they've broken it and haven't fixed it...

 

 

On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 6:20 PM Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

Funnily enough I've heard this. Does this mean in the newer versions of word
they have changed the keys we used to use?
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Quentin Christensen" <quentin@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2018 11:13 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] How can I use NVDA delete a page in word?


Hi Logo,

I was about to say that CONTROL+PAGE UP and CONTROL+PAGE DOWN move to the
start of the previous or next page in Word, therefore to select a whole
page, move to the top of a page and press CONTROL+SHIFT+PAGE DOWN.  Then I
tried it and realised that (on Office 365 at least) moving between pages
works, but not selecting them.

So, I have a quick way for you which does use NVDA commands:

1) Move to the start of the page to be deleted.
2) Press NVDA+F9.  This is the review cursor command to "start marking"
text.
3) Press CONTROL+PAGE DOWN to move to the start of the next page.
4) Press the LEFT ARROW to go back one character.
5) Press NVDA+F10 once.  This selects the whole page.
6) Press DELETE.

The reason you have to use the left arrow to go back one character is that
the review cursor copy function takes the character to the right of the
cursor as well, so without that step you would delete the whole page and
the first character from the next page.

Meanwhile, I'm going to go see why CONTROL+SHIFT+PAGE DOWN doesn't work.

Regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 2:29 AM 特種兵 <afreettears@...> wrote:

> hi groups:
>
>    How can I use NVDA fast delete a page in word?
>    I use shift plus down arrow selected line by line, it's slow and
> sometimes move over a page.
>    If I really delete the page exam the third page, how can I use NVDA
> fast delete a page?
>
> --
>
> thank you for much
> Logo Kuo from Taiwan
>
>
>
>
>

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available:
http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess






 

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

 

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

 

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 


 

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

 

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

 

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 


Re: Recuva

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

Yes I downloaded the portable version to help me get some files back about a month ago. Its OK, and gives you a feedback as to whether you can or cannot do it.
Obviously once deleted any writing to the disc stands a good chance of overwriting the data. I downloaded it on an old xp machine and put it on a ram stick to run it from there to cut down on the writing on the machine with the lost files.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don H" <lmddh50@adams.net>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2018 1:22 AM
Subject: [nvda] Recuva


Has anyone tried using the Recuva recovery software package made by the same company that makes ccleaner?



Re: NVDA ticking instead of speaking

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

What add ons do you have?
There is an add on that locks the keyboard.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Giles Turnbull" <giles.turnbull@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 11:37 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA ticking instead of speaking


nope, presing NVDA and s to togle doesn't make any difference and, if I try to swipe on the touchscreen or tap the screen, NVDA does say, "Desktop"

so clearly it is set to speek but for some reason it is not accepting any keyboard input.

I'm baffled!

Giles


Re: NVDA ticking instead of speaking

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

Try narrator and that way you can see what is going on, well hear it. However do not change things, only try one thing at once.
To me the lack of log on speech means that the user profile is not copied to that section. I guess you can at least look at nvda settings using narrator though to see what has changed if anything.
It would be handy to know what voice is default as well.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Giles Turnbull" <giles.turnbull@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 10:43 PM
Subject: [nvda] NVDA ticking instead of speaking


Hi all,

I have a strange problem with NVDA. About a week ago it stopped speaking and just made a clicking sound ... I'm not even sure if it might be the same sound as when speech mode is set to beeps.

That time I took it into the university library and their technology team took a look at it and I don't know what they did but they sorted it out again. I can't remember if they uninstalled NVDA and re-installed it from a fresh copy, but I don't think they did because all my settings and addons were still installed.

When I say it isn't speaking, it is when using the touch screen but for some reason it has no login option on it. The first library person I spoke to tried to login that way but failed and sent it to some of the other tech specialists. Whatever they did they fixed it and I thought all was well and good.

But Windows has just updated itself again and I'm back to where I was before. When I swipe my finger across the touch screen it says "Desktop: but every key I try to press just does its clicking / beeping thing. If I try to press CTRL + s to cycle through the speech options nothing happens, ditto if I use the INS key as my NVDA key.

So I have two questions:

1) Does anybody have any idea what has happened and is there any way I can fix this by myself or do I need to return to the uni library?

2) How can I stop this happening every time Windows updates? DO I need to stop allowing Windows to update?

I realise some sort of log file would be helpful, but there is no way I can do anything with this tablet at the moment. I'm using a Microsoft Surface Pro 4, whatever version of Windows 10 it just updated itself to (it'll be the latest one) and NVDA 2018.3.2.

I am beginning to panic because I've got a poetry reading on 21st October and I use NVDA to read some of the poems to the audience.

Grateful for any suggestions at all :)

Giles


Re: Accessible SDR software

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

Software defined Radio
These are in effect not true radios, but how an aerial signal is handled is controlled by software. many TV and radio tuners in domestic kit are now modules like this, and they are increasingly being offered to the public to play around with. Indeed some also have transmit capability built in at of course a very low level which needs amplifying. Also of course it means almost any mode is possible merely using software.

However, People tell me most of the software runs under things like modified Android or Unix like kernels, not Windows, though I'm sure if somebody had the knowledge it could be done, but accessibly is hard to say. Most of the ones described to me try to make the screen graphical like the front of a radio which is seldom very friendly to a screenreader.
Interestingly, Pro systems like the Icom range do have a box made for them for blind use which allows button control rather than the inbuilt touch screen. I have no idea if this is based on any of the commonly available dongles though as I've not dipped my toe in that pond as yet.
However there are SDR web sites around.
I've not tested them, but some seem to be javascript intensive.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Monte Single" <mrsingle@sasktel.net>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 10:55 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Accessible SDR software


What is s d r?

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of luke scholey
Sent: October-10-18 3:42 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Accessible SDR software

Hi all
Does anyone know of any accessible SDR software? I have recently been given an SDR dongle but don’t know what the best piece of software is to work with it.
Any ideas welcome.
Thanks
Luke


Re: I need a Web Content Management System that works well with NVDA

John J. Boyer
 

I've looked at both www.drupal.org and www.wordpress.org . I found the Wordpress website much easier to use and
understand. My main question is about installation. Wordpress must be installed on the server. Does this mean that the
server does all the work, or is there a client program that I install on my Windows 10 computer that takes care of the
details?

Thanks,
John

On Tue, Oct 09, 2018 at 07:34:14PM -0700, Jackie wrote:
I think they're both excellent. Almost 30% of the net's websites use
WordPress, & I think that's because the learning curve for WordPress
is, I think, slightly less steep than w/Drupal.

On 10/9/18, Waqas Ramzan <waqasramzan596@gmail.com> wrote:
Drupal is your best bet. That's what my 3 years of experience says.

Sent On The Go, more details via laptop.


On October 9, 2018 9:40:10 PM "John J. Boyer"
<john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org> wrote:

Thanks.

John

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org
website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Status: Company dissolved but website and email addresses live.
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Mission: developing assistive technology software and providing STEM
services
that are available at no cost









--
Remember! Friends Help Friends Be Cybersafe
Jackie McBride
Helping Cybercrime Victims 1 Person at a Time
https://brighter-vision.com


--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org
website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Status: Company dissolved but website and email addresses live.
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Mission: developing assistive technology software and providing STEM services
that are available at no cost


Re: NVDA randomly stops speaking

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

Yes indeed, on the one |I mentioned it was seemingly seamless so no clues at all.
I'll watch for it but I suspect Windows itself was my problem, and on assumes if all processing is suspended you just see the time clock seemingly jump.
on the various items. The other thing that I have seen is that it has in fact said it said things it never actually played through the speakers.

I'm using 7 though, so a 10 issue is probably totally different again.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Quentin Christensen" <quentin@nvaccess.org>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2018 6:27 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA randomly stops speaking


Yep a log file would be very helpful to try to diagnose what is happening
here.

It could simply be that Windows just doesn't seem to be resource managing
so well and if it is trying to do something (like download updates), it
struggles with anything else at the same time.

The log is in your %temp% directory. If you open File Explorer with
WINDOWS+E, then press ALT+D to get to the address bar and type or paste
%temp% in, it should take you to the directory. nvda.log is the current or
most recent log, and nvda-old.log is the one before that (useful if NVDA
crashes).

Regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 3:09 AM Felix G. <constantlyvariable@gmail.com>
wrote:

Hi!
Would be interesting to see an old logfile from when this happens.
Could someone please remind us where they get stored? Digital dementia
strikes.
Best,
Felix
Am Mi., 10. Okt. 2018 um 17:36 Uhr schrieb Brian's Mail list account
via Groups.Io <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io>:

Not really, but today I did notice that some windows updates were coming
in
on my windows 7 machine, sometimes stopping the system for up to 30
seconds
or making it stutter which is not usual unless these updates are in some
way
being installed as they come in which is not the way I've set them up. I
got
fed up with that countdown window in the background opening up and not
noticing it till it shut the computer down and lost all my open data.


Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Clarissa Mitchell" <MusicGirl712@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 1:36 PM
Subject: [nvda] NVDA randomly stops speaking


Hello all,

This morning I've had a few instances where NVDA would just stop
speaking. I had to press CTRL+ALT+n to get it working again. At one
time it stopped, I was playing an audio game with Pandora in the
background, and another time I had both Chrome and Spotify open. I've
also downloaded several files overnight. Is anyone else having this
problem while running multiple tasks on the computer?






--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available:
http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess



Re: I need a Web Content Management System that works well with NVDA

Domingos de Oliveira <domingos20000@...>
 

Drupal



Am 09.10.2018 um 18:40 schrieb John J. Boyer:

Thanks.

John
--
Domingos de Oliveira
Accessibility-Consultant
Karthäuserstr. 13
53129 Bonn
Tel: 0176 322 45 129
Mail: barrierefreiheit@posteo.de
Web: netz-barrierefrei.de


Re: NVDA randomly stops speaking

Quentin Christensen
 

Yep a log file would be very helpful to try to diagnose what is happening here.

It could simply be that Windows just doesn't seem to be resource managing so well and if it is trying to do something (like download updates), it struggles with anything else at the same time.

The log is in your %temp% directory.  If you open File Explorer with WINDOWS+E, then press ALT+D to get to the address bar and type or paste %temp% in, it should take you to the directory.  nvda.log is the current or most recent log, and nvda-old.log is the one before that (useful if NVDA crashes).

Regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 3:09 AM Felix G. <constantlyvariable@...> wrote:
Hi!
Would be interesting to see an old logfile from when this happens.
Could someone please remind us where they get stored? Digital dementia
strikes.
Best,
Felix
Am Mi., 10. Okt. 2018 um 17:36 Uhr schrieb Brian's Mail list account
via Groups.Io <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io>:
>
> Not really, but today I did notice that some windows updates were coming in
> on my windows 7 machine, sometimes stopping the system for up to 30 seconds
> or making it stutter which is not usual unless these updates are in some way
> being installed as they come in which is not the way I've set them up. I got
> fed up with that countdown window in the background opening up and not
> noticing it till it shut the computer down and lost all my  open data.
>
>
> Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal E-mail to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Clarissa Mitchell" <MusicGirl712@...>
> To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 1:36 PM
> Subject: [nvda] NVDA randomly stops speaking
>
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > This morning I've had a few instances where NVDA would just stop
> > speaking. I had to press CTRL+ALT+n to get it working again. At one
> > time it stopped, I was playing an audio game with Pandora in the
> > background, and another time I had both Chrome and Spotify open. I've
> > also downloaded several files overnight. Is anyone else having this
> > problem while running multiple tasks on the computer?
> >
> >
> >
>
>
>
>





--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 


Re: Recuva

 

hi.
i tested many versions of recuva and could learn and use it without
any tutorial or help.
it is an user friendly and simple program to learn and use.

On 10/11/18, Brian Vogel <britechguy@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes.

--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134

    The psychology of adultery has been falsified by conventional morals,
which assume, in monogamous countries, that attraction to one person cannot
co-exist with a serious affection for another.  Everybody knows that this is
untrue. . .

           ~ Bertrand Russell



--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali


Re: Recuva

 

Yes.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

    The psychology of adultery has been falsified by conventional morals, which assume, in monogamous countries, that attraction to one person cannot co-exist with a serious affection for another.  Everybody knows that this is untrue. . .

           ~ Bertrand Russell

 

 


Recuva

Don H
 

Has anyone tried using the Recuva recovery software package made by the same company that makes ccleaner?


Re: problem with reading system sound settings

Gary Metzler
 

Hi Robert,

 

For some reason this time when I went to windows I system sound everything read normally.  Go figure.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert Doc Wright godfearer
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 7:23 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] problem with reading system sound settings

 

tye change sound card in the search field

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 4:30 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] problem with reading system sound settings

 

When you open settings nvda is focused in the search field, tab once should get you onto the cat list

 

 

 

From: Gary Metzler
Sent: 10 October 2018 11:16
To: nvda
Subject: [nvda] problem with reading system sound settings

 

Hi All,

 

I am using win10 1809 with the latest nvda.  When I go into window I and open system sounds nvda doesn’t read when I tab or arrow though the selections.  The other setting like display and the like work fine.  Has anyone else noticed this?  Thanks for any help.

 

Regards, Gary KN4Ox

Send to: gmtravel@...

 

 


Re: problem with reading system sound settings

Robert Doc Wright godfearer
 


tye change sound card in the search field

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 4:30 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] problem with reading system sound settings

When you open settings nvda is focused in the search field, tab once should get you onto the cat list

 

 

 

From: Gary Metzler
Sent: 10 October 2018 11:16
To: nvda
Subject: [nvda] problem with reading system sound settings

 

Hi All,

 

I am using win10 1809 with the latest nvda.  When I go into window I and open system sounds nvda doesn’t read when I tab or arrow though the selections.  The other setting like display and the like work fine.  Has anyone else noticed this?  Thanks for any help.

 

Regards, Gary KN4Ox

Send to: gmtravel@...