Date   

Re: Word game

john s
 

Spoonbill games has a number of word games.


At 08:30 AM 10/25/2018, farhan israk, wrote:

Is any accessible word game available for Windows 10?

                 John


Word game

farhan israk
 

Is any accessible word game available for Windows 10?


Re: Thunderbird issues from Github

René Linke <rene.linke@...>
 

Hi ethan,

Am 22.10.2018 um 04:26 schrieb Ethan:
This is a few questions for users using Thunderbir with and without braille. I was wondering if anyone could confirm if these issues still exist?

https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/4708

When using NVDA with braille, does the braille display show "collapsed" when arrowing through a message list or treeview in Thunderbird?
https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/4444
You can close this issue. In Thunderbird will be shown the collapsed / expanded lists with the + and - signs.

René


Re: Msoft Word and some docs in focus mode

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

OK I'll try that then. We have indeed come a long way since the days when CP/M machines that could not display 80 columns had a kind of sideways scroll or flip as you crossed the edges of the screen in Wordstar.
I know I'm an old bloke, most people have never heard of either of those terms!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rick" <softwarethatworks@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2018 10:28 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Msoft Word and some docs in focus mode


Hello Brian:

The scenario you describe typically happens because, with today's high
resolution, wide-screen monitors, Word can display 2 pages side-by-side. If
this is the case, hitting down arrow on page 1 moves to page 3, and if the
document is only 2 pages long, it does nothing. Frankly, I think this is a
bad design choice for Microsoft.

To fix this, navigate to the status bar (by pressing F6). You may have to
hit F6 more than once if you have some other panes active. Once on the
status bar, press tab until you hear Zoom In. Press the spacebar several
times to zoom in, essentially changing the viewing size of a document. Press
tab one more time to find out the exact zoom level. I find that 130 to 140 %
will ensure that only a single page is displayed.

This should fix your situation. Now that only one page is displayed on the
screen, down and up arrow across page breaks should not skip pages.

Regards, Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian's Mail
list account via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2018 3:52 AM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Msoft Word and some docs in focus mode

Has anyone noticed that some Word docs when you encounter a page break,
either will not go past it, or seem to suddenly start reading the wrong
page, like skipping page 2 and starting page 3?
If you go into browse mode of course the navigation works fine again.
It can be a little annoying when editing text near the page break.
Most of these docs are in older Word template formats. Since I do not have
newer versions, it may well be that this is fixed there.
Just wondered if anyone else had come across this strangeness. Of course
not being to see it every time is a little bit annoying as its hard to
suggest how to duplicate it for any debugging. Its on the latest stable
though.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.







Re: PASTEL

Heaven Botma <heaven@...>
 

Hi List

I have no idea which programming language was used to set up Pastel. I
think someone misunderstood my original e-mail and thought I was talking
about Pascal. I have no idea about Pascal.

My original question was whether NVDA works with Pastel (the financial
accounting programme) as this programme is widely used in South Africa. I
received a reply in this regard that JAWS did not work with Pastel so it is
doubtful whether NVDA will.

However, I am still wondering if anyone has tested NVDA with Pastel to see
if it does read anything in the programme.

Kind regards


Heaven Botma
Programme Co-ordinator | Program Koördineerder
20 Adderley Street, Worcester
T 023 348 7616 F 086 415 6835
www.innovationfortheblind.org

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Antony Stone
Sent: Thursday, 25 October 2018 10:26
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] PASTEL

So, are you saying that you know that the Pastel accounting software is
written in (some dialect of) the Pascal language? How do you know?

Even if this is true, then presumably only the developers of the application
could "make it more accessible"; there's nothing the end-user can do.

Alternatively, maybe you're simply making a comment about some programming
language, which has nothing to do with the original question?


Regards,


Antony,

On Thursday 25 October 2018 at 03:10:59, Jaffar Sidek wrote:

Right! And I am telling him that I don't know if software made with
Pascal is accessible, but that programs made with another branch of
pascal can be made to be so. Is there anything wrong with that? sir?

On 24/10/2018 10:10 PM, Antony Stone wrote:
We are not talking about programming languages; we're talking about a
financial accounting application.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastel_Accounting

Antony.

On Wednesday 24 October 2018 at 15:36:17, Jaffar Sidek wrote:
I don't know if Pascal is, but Delphi, which is a dialect of Open
Pascal
can be made to be accessible

On 24/10/2018 12:45 PM, Heaven Botma wrote:
Dear List

Does anyone know if Pastel works with NVDA, as it is a popular fincial
accounting application in South African businesses?

Thank you.

Kind regards

Heaven Botma
--
3 logicians walk into a bar. The bartender asks "Do you all want a drink?"
The first logician says "I don't know."
The second logician says "I don't know."
The third logician says "Yes!"

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC
me.


Re: NVDA with Windows 10 OCR

Quentin Christensen
 

Hi Clarissa,

I haven't encountered that one before, would it be possible please to get a copy of your log, ideally at debug level, to investigate?

If you press NVDA+Q then down arrow to "Restart with debug logging" and press ENTER, NVDA will restart and collect more information in the log.  Then, if you can recreate the issue (find an image, press NVDA+R and get the error), then press NVDA+F1 to open the log, and copy the contents (CONTROL+A to select all, then CONTROL+C to copy) into an email to me (CONTROL+V to paste in the body of the message, ideally with a few words of explanation) and email to info@..., I'll have a look further.  

The only two questions I can think of at this stage are:

- Do you have the OCR add-on installed?  If so, try uninstalling that as it may be interfering.
- If you have just recently installed NVDA, have you restarted the computer?  If not, try restarting the PC then see if the problem persists.  Otherwise, I'm interested to get to the bottom of it.

Kind regards

Quentin.



On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 12:39 PM Clarissa Mitchell <MusicGirl712@...> wrote:
Hello all. I've heard that NVDA is supposed to work with the built-in
OCR feature of Windows 10, but whenever I try to press insert+r it
says "recognizer not found." What does this mean? Do I need to do
something specific in order to get OCR working? I'm using the latest
NVDA with the latest Windows 10 build.





--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 


Re: Msoft Word and some docs in focus mode

Rick
 

Hello Brian:

The scenario you describe typically happens because, with today's high
resolution, wide-screen monitors, Word can display 2 pages side-by-side. If
this is the case, hitting down arrow on page 1 moves to page 3, and if the
document is only 2 pages long, it does nothing. Frankly, I think this is a
bad design choice for Microsoft.

To fix this, navigate to the status bar (by pressing F6). You may have to
hit F6 more than once if you have some other panes active. Once on the
status bar, press tab until you hear Zoom In. Press the spacebar several
times to zoom in, essentially changing the viewing size of a document. Press
tab one more time to find out the exact zoom level. I find that 130 to 140 %
will ensure that only a single page is displayed.

This should fix your situation. Now that only one page is displayed on the
screen, down and up arrow across page breaks should not skip pages.

Regards, Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian's Mail
list account via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2018 3:52 AM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Msoft Word and some docs in focus mode

Has anyone noticed that some Word docs when you encounter a page break,
either will not go past it, or seem to suddenly start reading the wrong
page, like skipping page 2 and starting page 3?
If you go into browse mode of course the navigation works fine again.
It can be a little annoying when editing text near the page break.
Most of these docs are in older Word template formats. Since I do not have
newer versions, it may well be that this is fixed there.
Just wondered if anyone else had come across this strangeness. Of course
not being to see it every time is a little bit annoying as its hard to
suggest how to duplicate it for any debugging. Its on the latest stable
though.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.


Re: PASTEL

Antony Stone
 

So, are you saying that you know that the Pastel accounting software is
written in (some dialect of) the Pascal language? How do you know?

Even if this is true, then presumably only the developers of the application
could "make it more accessible"; there's nothing the end-user can do.

Alternatively, maybe you're simply making a comment about some programming
language, which has nothing to do with the original question?


Regards,


Antony,

On Thursday 25 October 2018 at 03:10:59, Jaffar Sidek wrote:

Right! And I am telling him that I don't know if software made with
Pascal is accessible, but that programs made with another branch of
pascal can be made to be so. Is there anything wrong with that? sir?

On 24/10/2018 10:10 PM, Antony Stone wrote:
We are not talking about programming languages; we're talking about a
financial accounting application.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastel_Accounting

Antony.

On Wednesday 24 October 2018 at 15:36:17, Jaffar Sidek wrote:
I don't know if Pascal is, but Delphi, which is a dialect of Open Pascal
can be made to be accessible

On 24/10/2018 12:45 PM, Heaven Botma wrote:
Dear List

Does anyone know if Pastel works with NVDA, as it is a popular fincial
accounting application in South African businesses?

Thank you.

Kind regards

Heaven Botma
--
3 logicians walk into a bar. The bartender asks "Do you all want a drink?"
The first logician says "I don't know."
The second logician says "I don't know."
The third logician says "Yes!"

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.


Msoft Word and some docs in focus mode

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

Has anyone noticed that some Word docs when you encounter a page break, either will not go past it, or seem to suddenly start reading the wrong page, like skipping page 2 and starting page 3?
If you go into browse mode of course the navigation works fine again.
It can be a little annoying when editing text near the page break.
Most of these docs are in older Word template formats. Since I do not have newer versions, it may well be that this is fixed there.
Just wondered if anyone else had come across this strangeness. Of course not being to see it every time is a little bit annoying as its hard to suggest how to duplicate it for any debugging. Its on the latest stable though.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.


Re: PASTEL

Heaven Botma <heaven@...>
 

Dear André


Thank you for your answer.

 

I wonder if anything has changed in the interim, as I have found a few programmes which are inaccessible with JAWS and which are workable with NVDA and vice versa.  Take MS Access for instance, JAWS reads very little, but NVDA reads more.

 

What would be the best way to test Pastel (the financial programme) to see if anything has changed?  I am asking, as I know people who use Pastel for accounting on a daily bases.

 

Kind regards

 

Heaven Botma

Programme Co-ordinator | Program Koördineerder

20 Adderley Street, Worcester

T 023 348 7616 F 086 415 6835

www.innovationfortheblind.org

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Andre Vosloo
Sent: Wednesday, 24 October 2018 14:45
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] PASTEL

 

Hi Heaven

 

I doubt if it would.  Pastel in itself is not very accessible I handled queries like this before.  I Once tried Jaws on it and WE, no luck.  As I said the interface itself is not very user friendly for blind people.\\regards

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Heaven Botma
Sent: 24 October 2018 6:45 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] PASTEL

 

Dear List

 

Does anyone know if Pastel works with NVDA, as it is a popular fincial accounting application in South African businesses?

 

Thank you.

 

Kind regards

 

 

 

Heaven Botma

Programme Co-ordinator | Program Koördineerder

20 Adderley Street, Worcester

T 023 348 7616 F 086 415 6835

www.innovationfortheblind.org

 


Financial Literacy game for a student

Quentin Christensen
 

Hi everyone,

We received a query from someone wanting an accessible financial literacy game for a student.  Can anyone offer any suggestions, please?

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 


NVDA with Windows 10 OCR

Clarissa Mitchell
 

Hello all. I've heard that NVDA is supposed to work with the built-in
OCR feature of Windows 10, but whenever I try to press insert+r it
says "recognizer not found." What does this mean? Do I need to do
something specific in order to get OCR working? I'm using the latest
NVDA with the latest Windows 10 build.


Re: Voice Activation with NVDA

Pranav Lal
 

Ann,
<snip Do you have to have dragon to use dictation bridge???
PL] No because dictationBridge can work with WSR. However, you do get the
best speech-recognition experience with Dragon.

Pranav


Re: Voice Activation with NVDA

Pranav Lal
 

Hi,
<snip Thank you. Do you need to have either Dragon or Windows Speech Recognition (I.e., on Windows 10) to use the Dictation Bridge?
PL] Yes.

Pranav


Re: PASTEL

Jaffar Sidek
 

Right! And I am telling him that I don't know if software made with Pascal is accessible, but that programs made with another branch of pascal can be made to be so.  Is there anything wrong with that? sir?

On 24/10/2018 10:10 PM, Antony Stone wrote:
We are not talking about programming languages; we're talking about a financial
accounting application.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastel_Accounting

Antony.

On Wednesday 24 October 2018 at 15:36:17, Jaffar Sidek wrote:

I don't know if Pascal is, but Delphi, which is a dialect of Open Pascal
can be made to be accessible

On 24/10/2018 12:45 PM, Heaven Botma wrote:
Dear List

Does anyone know if Pastel works with NVDA, as it is a popular fincial
accounting application in South African businesses?

Thank you.

Kind regards

Heaven Botma


Re: nvda and google docs sheets and slides

David Moore
 

Hi Michael!

You are so welcome.

When in Google Docs, You can press Alt+SHIFT+F to get to the Files menu, and use arrow keys to get to the accessibility menu.

If Google Docs has been set to use a screen reader by pressing Alt+CTRL+Z, then the accessible menu will be added. If you press enter on the accessibility menu, you will have categories’ of key commands for Google Docs.

Another powerful key command to bring up all of the Google Commands in Docs, is to press CTRL+Slash.

A table of all of the Google commands will come up.!

I should do a tutorial for Google Docs!

David Moore

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Michael Buchan
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 7:14 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda and google docs sheets and slides

 

Hi

David: thanks very much for the tips, our school exclusively uses google docs in chrome on windows 7 and it drives me absolutely bonkers because of it's slowness and different cursor navigation. I'll have to give nvda+shift+space a go, as well as that formatting command.

Thanks once again.

MCB


On 24 Oct 2018, at 6:46 am, David Moore <jesusloves1966@...> wrote:

Hi Sally!

I use Google Docs a lot with NVDA in Google Chrome.

The command you spoke of helps a lot in Google apps.

When you press NVDA+SHIFT+Spacebar, the editing functions work so much better.

Also, the commands for spell checking work great!

To get the correct formatting, though, I find that I have to press the Google command to hear formatting. That is:

Holding the alt and control, and pressing A, then F.

That gives better results than pressing NVDA+F to get formatting details.

Great to talk to you Sally. I am working on tutorials on using Google apps with NVDA and Chrome.

David Moore

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Sally Kiebdaj
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 9:58 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda and google docs sheets and slides

 

I've historically had pretty good luck using docs and sheets with chrome and chromevox but admittedly do not rely on them. I haven't memorized many of the hotkeys since chromevox next came out because the documentation I found didn't seem to keep up with the new keymap and although I have Chrome and Chromevox on windows and Mac too, I usually default to MS office, pages, or numbers when on those machines.  

 

Sunday, I found that some websites are working best with Chrome and NVDA instead of Firefox and NVDA or Chrome and ChromeVox. I will be playing with the hrome and NVDA combination now. 

 

Is it possible that the NVDA+shift+space hotkey to deactivate single letter navigation will help improve docs and sheets functionality? 

 

Cheers,

Sally 

 

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 1:57 PM Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:

Well, since they are not going to support chromevox for a while (they are putting that in chrome os only now) I woudl hope they fix the issues most of us are having on the native mac invironment.

On 21 Oct 2018, at 6:16, Ryan Mann wrote:

If you are using it on the Mac, I find that the Chromevox screen reader works the best.

 


On Oct 18, 2018, at 11:45 AM, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:

My problem is I've read the documentation and none of the keyboard short cuts work for mac os and google chrome. I reported this about 2-4 years ago but still have had no luck. It is still as inaccessible as ever, and forget about google forms. Those are inaccessible to create. I should know, I tried, about 3 months ago.

On 18 Oct 2018, at 0:32, Sylvie Duchateau wrote:

Hello all,

I use Google Docs and Sheets both with Firefox and Chrome and NVDA without any difficulties.

I had some language issues in Chrome, that I reported to the Google Diasability accessibility team, and it was corrected with Chrome's last version.

Best

Sylvie

Le 17/10/2018 à 22:55, Sarah k Alawami a écrit :

I also could not, not on chrome, firefox, safari, or edge. And this over 2 years of trying. I talked to the google srep that was at one of our conventions in 2014 and all I got were a horable pair of free headphones and a "we'll look into it."

On 17 Oct 2018, at 12:23, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:



I'd imagine it has to be Chrome, but to be honest. I could not get on with Google docs myself. Too laggy and awkward, but then, that might just be me!
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Josh Kennedy" <joshknnd1982@...>
To: <nvda@groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 2:48 PM
Subject: [nvda] nvda and google docs sheets and slides


Hi,

What wweb browser works best with google docs sheets and slides? Freedom scientific said to use firefox, but that document came out 3 or so years ago, so it may be a little outdated. NVDA and chrome seem to work good with google office, now. Or is the latest firefox still best?

Josh


Sent from Mail for Windows 10



Sent from Mail for Windows 10










 

 

 


Re: discord accessibility

Michael Buchan
 

Hi
  Although I do certainly agree that discord is working on bringing accessibility to their platform (take the IOS app as an example, where a bit less than a year ago you couldn't even read messages and now you can) I must admit, the fact that these features and fixes are getting implemented soooooo slowly warrants the creation of an addon. The fact that Discord is an electron app adds to this, as I imagine, though I could be totally wrong, that most of the information needed is already their, but it isn't exposed through the aria specification in any way, meaning an addon for NVDA to derive this information from what is given out is definitely possible.

  As somebody who loves python, loves open source projects, loves Discord and above all, loves NVDA, I've been meaning to look into addon development myself for a while now and I may use Discord as a jumping off point once I've figured out the ins and outs of developing an addon.

Kind regards,
MCB

On 22 Oct 2018, at 2:24 pm, Robert Kingett <kingettr@...> wrote:

Why develop an add on when built in accessibility is better? The developers are slowly, and I do mean slowly, working on accessibility fixes for screen readers. Contact them and let them know. An add-on can't be created from a totally inaccessible program, one NVDA can't even read. The tweet is below.

https://twitter.com/discordapp/status/867855637736116225?lang=en


Re: nvda and google docs sheets and slides

Michael Buchan
 

Hi
David: thanks very much for the tips, our school exclusively uses google docs in chrome on windows 7 and it drives me absolutely bonkers because of it's slowness and different cursor navigation. I'll have to give nvda+shift+space a go, as well as that formatting command.
Thanks once again.
MCB

On 24 Oct 2018, at 6:46 am, David Moore <jesusloves1966@...> wrote:

Hi Sally!

I use Google Docs a lot with NVDA in Google Chrome.

The command you spoke of helps a lot in Google apps.

When you press NVDA+SHIFT+Spacebar, the editing functions work so much better.

Also, the commands for spell checking work great!

To get the correct formatting, though, I find that I have to press the Google command to hear formatting. That is:

Holding the alt and control, and pressing A, then F.

That gives better results than pressing NVDA+F to get formatting details.

Great to talk to you Sally. I am working on tutorials on using Google apps with NVDA and Chrome.

David Moore

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Sally Kiebdaj
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 9:58 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda and google docs sheets and slides

 

I've historically had pretty good luck using docs and sheets with chrome and chromevox but admittedly do not rely on them. I haven't memorized many of the hotkeys since chromevox next came out because the documentation I found didn't seem to keep up with the new keymap and although I have Chrome and Chromevox on windows and Mac too, I usually default to MS office, pages, or numbers when on those machines.  

 

Sunday, I found that some websites are working best with Chrome and NVDA instead of Firefox and NVDA or Chrome and ChromeVox. I will be playing with the hrome and NVDA combination now. 

 

Is it possible that the NVDA+shift+space hotkey to deactivate single letter navigation will help improve docs and sheets functionality? 

 

Cheers,

Sally 

 

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 1:57 PM Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:

Well, since they are not going to support chromevox for a while (they are putting that in chrome os only now) I woudl hope they fix the issues most of us are having on the native mac invironment.

On 21 Oct 2018, at 6:16, Ryan Mann wrote:

If you are using it on the Mac, I find that the Chromevox screen reader works the best.

 


On Oct 18, 2018, at 11:45 AM, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:

My problem is I've read the documentation and none of the keyboard short cuts work for mac os and google chrome. I reported this about 2-4 years ago but still have had no luck. It is still as inaccessible as ever, and forget about google forms. Those are inaccessible to create. I should know, I tried, about 3 months ago.

On 18 Oct 2018, at 0:32, Sylvie Duchateau wrote:

Hello all,

I use Google Docs and Sheets both with Firefox and Chrome and NVDA without any difficulties.

I had some language issues in Chrome, that I reported to the Google Diasability accessibility team, and it was corrected with Chrome's last version.

Best

Sylvie

Le 17/10/2018 à 22:55, Sarah k Alawami a écrit :

I also could not, not on chrome, firefox, safari, or edge. And this over 2 years of trying. I talked to the google srep that was at one of our conventions in 2014 and all I got were a horable pair of free headphones and a "we'll look into it."

On 17 Oct 2018, at 12:23, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:


I'd imagine it has to be Chrome, but to be honest. I could not get on with Google docs myself. Too laggy and awkward, but then, that might just be me!
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Josh Kennedy" <joshknnd1982@...>
To: <nvda@groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 2:48 PM
Subject: [nvda] nvda and google docs sheets and slides


Hi,

What wweb browser works best with google docs sheets and slides? Freedom scientific said to use firefox, but that document came out 3 or so years ago, so it may be a little outdated. NVDA and chrome seem to work good with google office, now. Or is the latest firefox still best?

Josh


Sent from Mail for Windows 10



Sent from Mail for Windows 10








 

 


Re: Best settings to use Windows10's Mail app with latest NVDA?

Sarah k Alawami
 

I also use TBird, but it lags when checking email and puts my 32 gig ram system to a crawl. But I'e. read about similar issues with TBird. Lol! Still a good program.

On 24 Oct 2018, at 13:43, Earle Zwicker wrote:

I use Thunderbird.  I find that it is much better than the Windows mail app.  It all comes down to personal preference.


Earle

On 2018-10-24 4:10 p.m., Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:

I agree. I tried the mail app and didn't really care for it.

 

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 5:47 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Best settings to use Windows10's Mail app with latest NVDA?

 

All that trouble when you can use Windows Live Mail or Thunderbird?  Why do people use the Microsoft Mail app when there are such superior alternatives?

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 1:44 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Best settings to use Windows10's Mail app with latest NVDA?

 

That is a really cock eyed way to do such things. I really do not understand
why Microsoft did not actually develop something like Outlook Express
instead of attempting to create a wheel with square corners. Its another
thing like Skype and ribbon menus where they know best, or rather think they
do!
Change for its own sake seems a complete waste of a programmers time.
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "David Moore" <jesusloves1966@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 10:12 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Best settings to use Windows10's Mail app with latest
NVDA?


Hi!
I use the Mail app all the time, and I definitely have the messages show in
conversation view. You can delete a whole group of messages at one press of
the delete key.
You have to press the left arrow a couple of times before you read the next
message.
The mail app opens the conversation by itself, so you have to press the left
arrow a couple of times really quickly and press delete very quickly if you
want to delete that entire conversation of messages.
I use NVDA with character typing, so I am not sure about word echo.
Sometimes, to read a message, you have to enter on the message, then shift
tab, and tab back to the message, press left arrow a couple of times to
close the conversation, and press enter two or three times quickly to open
the message.
The Mail app s not going to give you the same result all of the time.
You have to get creative and find work arounds as you go to get the most out
of it.
You can press the applications key or shift+F10 on a folder, and get many
choices like:
Create a sub folder, add the folder to your favorites, and more.
You cannot make rules in the mail app itself.
You have to create the rules on the web site, and they will import into the
mail app.
Good luck, and ask anymore questions!
David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Gerardo Corripio
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 4:54 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Best settings to use Windows10's Mail app with latest NVDA?

Last night, I debued a new Laptop with Windows10, and am using its Mail app.
HOwever I?d like to see what settings you’drecommend to get the best working
experience? Firstly let’s say I?reading Emails a thread, and when the thread
ends, it seems to put me out of the Email bodies, with the button that in
Spanish, atlesat, it says something about Navigation expended, orNavigation
contracted.I’d like for the Mail program, like it has donewith allthe Mail
programs I’ve used over the yearsI’ve been using Windows, to until I’mdone
Reading all the Emails, it’ll take out of the theirbodies. My method is to
first delete all the ones that don’t seeminteresting, and only readthe
apparently interesting ones. Can this be done? And lastly the most
frustratingexperience I’m having with the Windows10Mail app is that NVDA
doesn’tread the words upon spacing! Yes I’veactivated and deactivated the
option of NVDA+3, with nodifference! So what tips/tricks do you guys
recommend to get the most out of Windows10’s Mail app?

Enviado desde Correo para Windows 10









Re: Best settings to use Windows10's Mail app with latest NVDA?

Rosemarie Chavarria
 

I meant 2013.

 

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Rosemarie Chavarria
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 1:49 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Best settings to use Windows10's Mail app with latest NVDA?

 

I'm using outlook 20113.

 

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Earle Zwicker
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 1:44 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Best settings to use Windows10's Mail app with latest NVDA?

 

I use Thunderbird.  I find that it is much better than the Windows mail app.  It all comes down to personal preference.

 

Earle

On 2018-10-24 4:10 p.m., Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:

I agree. I tried the mail app and didn't really care for it.

 

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 5:47 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Best settings to use Windows10's Mail app with latest NVDA?

 

All that trouble when you can use Windows Live Mail or Thunderbird?  Why do people use the Microsoft Mail app when there are such superior alternatives?

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 1:44 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Best settings to use Windows10's Mail app with latest NVDA?

 

That is a really cock eyed way to do such things. I really do not understand
why Microsoft did not actually develop something like Outlook Express
instead of attempting to create a wheel with square corners. Its another
thing like Skype and ribbon menus where they know best, or rather think they
do!
Change for its own sake seems a complete waste of a programmers time.
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "David Moore" <jesusloves1966@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 10:12 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Best settings to use Windows10's Mail app with latest
NVDA?


Hi!
I use the Mail app all the time, and I definitely have the messages show in
conversation view. You can delete a whole group of messages at one press of
the delete key.
You have to press the left arrow a couple of times before you read the next
message.
The mail app opens the conversation by itself, so you have to press the left
arrow a couple of times really quickly and press delete very quickly if you
want to delete that entire conversation of messages.
I use NVDA with character typing, so I am not sure about word echo.
Sometimes, to read a message, you have to enter on the message, then shift
tab, and tab back to the message, press left arrow a couple of times to
close the conversation, and press enter two or three times quickly to open
the message.
The Mail app s not going to give you the same result all of the time.
You have to get creative and find work arounds as you go to get the most out
of it.
You can press the applications key or shift+F10 on a folder, and get many
choices like:
Create a sub folder, add the folder to your favorites, and more.
You cannot make rules in the mail app itself.
You have to create the rules on the web site, and they will import into the
mail app.
Good luck, and ask anymore questions!
David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Gerardo Corripio
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 4:54 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Best settings to use Windows10's Mail app with latest NVDA?

Last night, I debued a new Laptop with Windows10, and am using its Mail app.
HOwever I?d like to see what settings you’drecommend to get the best working
experience? Firstly let’s say I?reading Emails a thread, and when the thread
ends, it seems to put me out of the Email bodies, with the button that in
Spanish, atlesat, it says something about Navigation expended, orNavigation
contracted.I’d like for the Mail program, like it has donewith allthe Mail
programs I’ve used over the yearsI’ve been using Windows, to until I’mdone
Reading all the Emails, it’ll take out of the theirbodies. My method is to
first delete all the ones that don’t seeminteresting, and only readthe
apparently interesting ones. Can this be done? And lastly the most
frustratingexperience I’m having with the Windows10Mail app is that NVDA
doesn’tread the words upon spacing! Yes I’veactivated and deactivated the
option of NVDA+3, with nodifference! So what tips/tricks do you guys
recommend to get the most out of Windows10’s Mail app?

Enviado desde Correo para Windows 10