Date   

Re: NVDA not read anything in any browser.

Chris
 

I would suggest running the run com registration fixing tool under the tools menu of nvda

Then restart your computer, not shut down but RESTART

 

 

 

 

From: Tejas Bendre
Sent: 19 November 2018 17:42
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA not read anything in any browser.

 

I am useing windows 10 64 bit home single language.

and i not uninstoal any softwear.

I also try nvda_snapshot_alpha-16247,fbae6b0b portebel verjun.

one more thing nvda also not reding contest menu.

and this is happen only with NVDA.

 

 

On 11/19/18, hurrikennyandopo ... <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

> Hi

> could i ask what the last bit of software was that was uninstalled and then

> you noticed it happening?

> By the way are you running a 32 or 64 bit operating system and which

> version?

> I was wondering if maybe it might of been the mathshtml add on that might of

> caused it or when you uninstalled say office?

> Gene nz

> On 16/11/2018 2:06 AM, Tejas Bendre wrote:

> I try this.

> but not get sukcess.

> On 11/15/18, hurrikennyandopo ...

> <hurrikennyandopo@...><mailto:hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

> Hi

> have a look under the tools section in NVDA and look for a menu called Run

> COM Registration Fixing tool... then press the enter key on it. I can not

> remember if there were steps after it but it should reset the files and i

> think the computer also has to be rebooted as well.

> If it fixes the problem you should be able to use the browser as you were

> before it happened.

> Some times it would also affect the running application on the task bar and

> say unknown etc and do some other weird stuff.

> There is no documentation for it in the user manual but I think there

> should

> be so people know what it is for.

> Gene nz

> On 15/11/2018 7:34 AM, Tejas Bendre wrote:

> Hello guys,

> facing big problem with NVDA.

> I am using Dell laptop With Windows 10 1803.

> NVDA latest 18.3.2 version.

> Whenever I open any browser NVDA not read anything it's just saying

> unknown and unknown.

> so this is happen with NVDA only.

>  I try JAWS but JAWS working fine.

> Actually same problem i was face with 1703 version.

> but afther update in 1803  laptop verks 2 3 days.

> and now same problem i am faceing.

> i tryed all browsers.

> So can anyone help me.

> --

> [Image NVDA          certified expert]

> Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related

> material

> at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New

> Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the

> NVDA

> screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or

> location) is near to you please visit

> http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa

> People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you,

> please

> visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The

> certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals

> from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert

> exam.

> --

> [Image NVDA          certified expert]

> Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material

> at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New

> Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA

> screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or

> location) is near to you please visit

> http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa

> People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please

> visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The

> certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals

> from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert

> exam.

>

 

 

 


Re: vlc app

JM Casey
 

The pause button? Space bar will do it.

As for tagging songs/albums, I've not tried this and so am not sure. I will look into it.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sile via Groups.Io
Sent: November 19, 2018 12:34 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] vlc app

Yes, though I am still having issues with the 'pause' button not having a shortcut,


--Sile


On 11/19/2018 12:19 PM, JM Casey wrote:
Most of the standard features are easy to use.


-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brice Mijares
Sent: November 19, 2018 12:12 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] vlc app

I can see it's not going to be easy to learn, but I'll give it one hell of a try. thanks for yhe info.

On 11/19/2018 8:02 AM, JM Casey wrote:
Hey.

Yes, you will want to use the wiki to get started, and possibly make
reference to it later.

I still have trouble with some of the advanced preferences, doing
things like applying filters. There’s a lot under VLC’s hood though
and if you want to play videos, especially, it’s invaluable.

Re the forum, I think there might be a captsha unfortunately.

*From:*nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Brian
Vogel
*Sent:* November 19, 2018 9:54 AM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] vlc app

Forgot to mention that their wiki is very comprehensive as well:
*https://wiki.videolan.org/*
--

Brian *-*Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763

/*A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the
need for illusion is deep.*/

~ Saul Bellow, /To Jerusalem and Back/





Re: [EXTERNAL] - Re: [nvda] wonder vs. wander

Gerardo Corripio
 

Having learned directly Grade2 Braille, can you guys believe when I started using a computer, I didn’t know how to spell father? Also the difference between their dots456]the/sign, versus there dot5]the/sign is easy for me at least, to remember> there as using the same sign as here, and their. Make sense?

 

                                                                                              Enviado desde Correo para Windows 10

 

De: Sarah k Alawami
Enviado: lunes, 19 de noviembre de 2018 11:27 a. m.
Para: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Asunto: Re: [EXTERNAL] - Re: [nvda] wonder vs. wander

 

Yeah. When I was learning braille and had to type in print I tried to type their and could not spell it as I had learned dot 4 5 6 t h e. And not t h e i r. No one ever taught me how to spell and it hurts me 30 odd years later. Story of my younger life eh?

Take care

On 19 Nov 2018, at 8:22, Joshua Crary wrote:

Some people who are low vision and do not visually see spelling develop poor spelling skills over time, as we do not have the visual reminder on daily basis on how to spell something correctly. 

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2018 11:16 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [EXTERNAL] - Re: [nvda] wonder vs. wander

 

I'm writing as a moderator to explain my thinking about the message.  Of course, if the owner disagrees, that will be the controling decision.

 

While it is generally not done and not considered proper, I think you are overreacting.  For one thing, I see this error with native English speakers.  I don't recall seeing it with non native speakers.  Since this sort of discussion never takes place on the list, I let it pass.  a little variety is enjoyable and may stimulate thought and awareness.  No one was flamed.  No one was disparaged.  These days, being offended by everything is a cultural passtime and fixsture.  I don't see anything offensive in the message.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Rick

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, November 19, 2018 5:21 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] wonder vs. wander

 

Hello Travis:

I find your email to be quite insensitive. As you are probably aware, this
list is comprised of people from all over the globe, many of whom are not
native English speakers. I am always impressed when people are capable of
speaking an additional language other than their native tongue and
criticizing them for grammatical mistakes on a list not focused on
grammatical correctness is petty and unwarranted. It is also off topic.

Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Travis Siegel
Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2018 12:40 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] wonder vs. wander

Not trying to make anybody mad here, but it really is disconcerting to see
so many people here using wander and wonder interchangeably.
Wander (with an"A" ) is what you do when you're out and about, and don't
have any particular place to be, and you just feel like taking your time to
see what's going on around you.  You wander around, looking at things, and
simply taking things easy.
On the other hand, wonder (with an "O" ) is what you do when you're curious
about something.  Yeah, it's ok to wonder about life, the universe and
everything, but if you wander about such things, you may never find your way
back to your back yard, having being swept off into galaxies unknown.
And, of course, it's perfectly acceptable to wonder about wandering too,
especially if you're wondering why so many people wander into things.





Caution: This email originated from outside of Roxbury Community College. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

 


Re: [EXTERNAL] - Re: [nvda] wonder vs. wander

Rosemarie Chavarria
 

I was fortunate to have a teacher who placed emphasis on spelling as well as learning the braille contractions. A friend of mine went to a school for the blind where the teachers there didn't think of the importance of good spelling. Her mother was helping her with her homework and asked her "how do you spell Their?". She answered something like "dot 4 5 6 the sign". Her mother answered "no. It's t h e i r".



On 11/19/2018 8:22 AM, Joshua Crary wrote:

Some people who are low vision and do not visually see spelling develop poor spelling skills over time, as we do not have the visual reminder on daily basis on how to spell something correctly. 

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2018 11:16 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [EXTERNAL] - Re: [nvda] wonder vs. wander

 

I'm writing as a moderator to explain my thinking about the message.  Of course, if the owner disagrees, that will be the controling decision.

 

While it is generally not done and not considered proper, I think you are overreacting.  For one thing, I see this error with native English speakers.  I don't recall seeing it with non native speakers.  Since this sort of discussion never takes place on the list, I let it pass.  a little variety is enjoyable and may stimulate thought and awareness.  No one was flamed.  No one was disparaged.  These days, being offended by everything is a cultural passtime and fixsture.  I don't see anything offensive in the message.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Rick

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, November 19, 2018 5:21 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] wonder vs. wander

 

Hello Travis:

I find your email to be quite insensitive. As you are probably aware, this
list is comprised of people from all over the globe, many of whom are not
native English speakers. I am always impressed when people are capable of
speaking an additional language other than their native tongue and
criticizing them for grammatical mistakes on a list not focused on
grammatical correctness is petty and unwarranted. It is also off topic.

Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Travis Siegel
Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2018 12:40 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] wonder vs. wander

Not trying to make anybody mad here, but it really is disconcerting to see
so many people here using wander and wonder interchangeably.
Wander (with an"A" ) is what you do when you're out and about, and don't
have any particular place to be, and you just feel like taking your time to
see what's going on around you.  You wander around, looking at things, and
simply taking things easy.
On the other hand, wonder (with an "O" ) is what you do when you're curious
about something.  Yeah, it's ok to wonder about life, the universe and
everything, but if you wander about such things, you may never find your way
back to your back yard, having being swept off into galaxies unknown.
And, of course, it's perfectly acceptable to wonder about wandering too,
especially if you're wondering why so many people wander into things.






Caution: This email originated from outside of Roxbury Community College. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.


Re: NVDA not read anything in any browser.

Tejas Bendre
 

I am useing windows 10 64 bit home single language.
and i not uninstoal any softwear.
I also try nvda_snapshot_alpha-16247,fbae6b0b portebel verjun.
one more thing nvda also not reding contest menu.
and this is happen only with NVDA.

On 11/19/18, hurrikennyandopo ... <hurrikennyandopo@hotmail.com> wrote:
Hi


could i ask what the last bit of software was that was uninstalled and then
you noticed it happening?


By the way are you running a 32 or 64 bit operating system and which
version?


I was wondering if maybe it might of been the mathshtml add on that might of
caused it or when you uninstalled say office?


Gene nz


On 16/11/2018 2:06 AM, Tejas Bendre wrote:

I try this.
but not get sukcess.

On 11/15/18, hurrikennyandopo ...
<hurrikennyandopo@hotmail.com><mailto:hurrikennyandopo@hotmail.com> wrote:


Hi


have a look under the tools section in NVDA and look for a menu called Run
COM Registration Fixing tool... then press the enter key on it. I can not
remember if there were steps after it but it should reset the files and i
think the computer also has to be rebooted as well.


If it fixes the problem you should be able to use the browser as you were
before it happened.


Some times it would also affect the running application on the task bar and
say unknown etc and do some other weird stuff.


There is no documentation for it in the user manual but I think there
should
be so people know what it is for.


Gene nz


On 15/11/2018 7:34 AM, Tejas Bendre wrote:

Hello guys,
facing big problem with NVDA.
I am using Dell laptop With Windows 10 1803.
NVDA latest 18.3.2 version.
Whenever I open any browser NVDA not read anything it's just saying
unknown and unknown.
so this is happen with NVDA only.
I try JAWS but JAWS working fine.

Actually same problem i was face with 1703 version.
but afther update in 1803 laptop verks 2 3 days.
and now same problem i am faceing.
i tryed all browsers.
So can anyone help me.





--
[Image NVDA certified expert]
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related
material
at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New
Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the
NVDA
screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or
location) is near to you please visit
http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa
People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you,
please
visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The
certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals
from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert
exam.











--
[Image NVDA certified expert]
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material
at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New
Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA
screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or
location) is near to you please visit
http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa
People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please
visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The
certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals
from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert
exam.




Re: vlc app

Gerardo Corripio
 

With this player, can you mark where you left off, for instance, 30 minutes into a movie or book, and upon reopening the app, go to where you left off_

 

                                                                                              Enviado desde Correo para Windows 10

 

De: JM Casey
Enviado: lunes, 19 de noviembre de 2018 11:20 a. m.
Para: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Asunto: Re: [nvda] vlc app

 

Most of the standard features are easy to use.

 

 

-----Original Message-----

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brice Mijares

Sent: November 19, 2018 12:12 PM

To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Subject: Re: [nvda] vlc app

 

I can see it's not going to be easy to learn, but I'll give it one hell of a try. thanks for yhe info.

 

On 11/19/2018 8:02 AM, JM Casey wrote:

> Hey.

>

> Yes, you will want to use the wiki to get started, and possibly make

> reference to it later.

>

> I still have trouble with some of the advanced preferences, doing

> things like applying filters. There’s a lot under VLC’s hood though

> and if you want to play videos, especially, it’s invaluable.

>

> Re the forum, I think there might be a captsha unfortunately.

>

> *From:*nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Brian

> Vogel

> *Sent:* November 19, 2018 9:54 AM

> *To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io

> *Subject:* Re: [nvda] vlc app

>

> Forgot to mention that their wiki is very comprehensive as well:

> *https://wiki.videolan.org/*

> --

>

> Brian *-*Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763

>

> /*A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the

> need for illusion is deep.*/

>

>            ~ Saul Bellow, /To Jerusalem and Back/

>

>

 

 

 

 

 

 


Re: vlc app

Sile
 

Yes, though I am still having issues with the 'pause' button not having a shortcut,


--Sile

On 11/19/2018 12:19 PM, JM Casey wrote:
Most of the standard features are easy to use.


-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brice Mijares
Sent: November 19, 2018 12:12 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] vlc app

I can see it's not going to be easy to learn, but I'll give it one hell of a try. thanks for yhe info.

On 11/19/2018 8:02 AM, JM Casey wrote:
Hey.

Yes, you will want to use the wiki to get started, and possibly make
reference to it later.

I still have trouble with some of the advanced preferences, doing
things like applying filters. There’s a lot under VLC’s hood though
and if you want to play videos, especially, it’s invaluable.

Re the forum, I think there might be a captsha unfortunately.

*From:*nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Brian
Vogel
*Sent:* November 19, 2018 9:54 AM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] vlc app

Forgot to mention that their wiki is very comprehensive as well:
*https://wiki.videolan.org/*
--

Brian *-*Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763

/*A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the
need for illusion is deep.*/

~ Saul Bellow, /To Jerusalem and Back/




Re: [EXTERNAL] - Re: [nvda] wonder vs. wander

Sarah k Alawami
 

Yeah. When I was learning braille and had to type in print I tried to type their and could not spell it as I had learned dot 4 5 6 t h e. And not t h e i r. No one ever taught me how to spell and it hurts me 30 odd years later. Story of my younger life eh?

Take care

On 19 Nov 2018, at 8:22, Joshua Crary wrote:

Some people who are low vision and do not visually see spelling develop poor spelling skills over time, as we do not have the visual reminder on daily basis on how to spell something correctly. 

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2018 11:16 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [EXTERNAL] - Re: [nvda] wonder vs. wander

 

I'm writing as a moderator to explain my thinking about the message.  Of course, if the owner disagrees, that will be the controling decision.

 

While it is generally not done and not considered proper, I think you are overreacting.  For one thing, I see this error with native English speakers.  I don't recall seeing it with non native speakers.  Since this sort of discussion never takes place on the list, I let it pass.  a little variety is enjoyable and may stimulate thought and awareness.  No one was flamed.  No one was disparaged.  These days, being offended by everything is a cultural passtime and fixsture.  I don't see anything offensive in the message.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Rick

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, November 19, 2018 5:21 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] wonder vs. wander

 

Hello Travis:

I find your email to be quite insensitive. As you are probably aware, this
list is comprised of people from all over the globe, many of whom are not
native English speakers. I am always impressed when people are capable of
speaking an additional language other than their native tongue and
criticizing them for grammatical mistakes on a list not focused on
grammatical correctness is petty and unwarranted. It is also off topic.

Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Travis Siegel
Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2018 12:40 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] wonder vs. wander

Not trying to make anybody mad here, but it really is disconcerting to see
so many people here using wander and wonder interchangeably.
Wander (with an"A" ) is what you do when you're out and about, and don't
have any particular place to be, and you just feel like taking your time to
see what's going on around you.  You wander around, looking at things, and
simply taking things easy.
On the other hand, wonder (with an "O" ) is what you do when you're curious
about something.  Yeah, it's ok to wonder about life, the universe and
everything, but if you wander about such things, you may never find your way
back to your back yard, having being swept off into galaxies unknown.
And, of course, it's perfectly acceptable to wonder about wandering too,
especially if you're wondering why so many people wander into things.






Caution: This email originated from outside of Roxbury Community College. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.


Re: vlc app

Dave Clement <dclement@...>
 

Hello,

Many years ago I tried using VLC to edit the metadata for ripped home made recordings. At that time, it was not very accessible. Are these functions accessible today under NVDA and Windows 10? I have many untagged ripped albums that I would like to update.

Thanks,

Dave Clement
Winnipeg MB

On Nov 19, 2018, at 11:19 AM, JM Casey <jmcasey@teksavvy.com> wrote:

Most of the standard features are easy to use.


-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brice Mijares
Sent: November 19, 2018 12:12 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] vlc app

I can see it's not going to be easy to learn, but I'll give it one hell of a try. thanks for yhe info.

On 11/19/2018 8:02 AM, JM Casey wrote:
Hey.

Yes, you will want to use the wiki to get started, and possibly make
reference to it later.

I still have trouble with some of the advanced preferences, doing
things like applying filters. There’s a lot under VLC’s hood though
and if you want to play videos, especially, it’s invaluable.

Re the forum, I think there might be a captsha unfortunately.

*From:*nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Brian
Vogel
*Sent:* November 19, 2018 9:54 AM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] vlc app

Forgot to mention that their wiki is very comprehensive as well:
*https://wiki.videolan.org/*
--

Brian *-*Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763

/*A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the
need for illusion is deep.*/

~ Saul Bellow, /To Jerusalem and Back/


Re: vlc app

JM Casey
 

Most of the standard features are easy to use.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brice Mijares
Sent: November 19, 2018 12:12 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] vlc app

I can see it's not going to be easy to learn, but I'll give it one hell of a try. thanks for yhe info.

On 11/19/2018 8:02 AM, JM Casey wrote:
Hey.

Yes, you will want to use the wiki to get started, and possibly make
reference to it later.

I still have trouble with some of the advanced preferences, doing
things like applying filters. There’s a lot under VLC’s hood though
and if you want to play videos, especially, it’s invaluable.

Re the forum, I think there might be a captsha unfortunately.

*From:*nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Brian
Vogel
*Sent:* November 19, 2018 9:54 AM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] vlc app

Forgot to mention that their wiki is very comprehensive as well:
*https://wiki.videolan.org/*
--

Brian *-*Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763

/*A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the
need for illusion is deep.*/

~ Saul Bellow, /To Jerusalem and Back/


Re: vlc app

Brice Mijares
 

I can see it's not going to be easy to learn, but I'll give it one hell of a try. thanks for yhe info.

On 11/19/2018 8:02 AM, JM Casey wrote:
Hey.
Yes, you will want to use the wiki to get started, and possibly make reference to it later.
I still have trouble with some of the advanced preferences, doing things like applying filters. There’s a lot under VLC’s hood though and if you want to play videos, especially, it’s invaluable.
Re the forum, I think there might be a captsha unfortunately.
*From:*nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Brian Vogel
*Sent:* November 19, 2018 9:54 AM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] vlc app
Forgot to mention that their wiki is very comprehensive as well: *https://wiki.videolan.org/*
--
Brian *-*Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763
/*A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.*/
          ~ Saul Bellow, /To Jerusalem and Back/


Re: wonder vs. wander

Gene
 

I usually don't spell-check messages.  I read them before I send them to check for words that sound misspelled but also to make sure what I wrote is clear, accurate, such as commands given during describing a procedure, and not clumsily worded.  I may start spellchecking them as well but my main concern on e-mail lists is not to have spelling errors that are more than minor and to have clear writing and accuracy.  Rereading before sending is important in all those respects.
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Gene
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2018 10:16 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] wonder vs. wander

I'm writing as a moderator to explain my thinking about the message.  Of course, if the owner disagrees, that will be the controling decision.
 
While it is generally not done and not considered proper, I think you are overreacting.  For one thing, I see this error with native English speakers.  I don't recall seeing it with non native speakers.  Since this sort of discussion never takes place on the list, I let it pass.  a little variety is enjoyable and may stimulate thought and awareness.  No one was flamed.  No one was disparaged.  These days, being offended by everything is a cultural passtime and fixsture.  I don't see anything offensive in the message.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Rick
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2018 5:21 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] wonder vs. wander

Hello Travis:

I find your email to be quite insensitive. As you are probably aware, this
list is comprised of people from all over the globe, many of whom are not
native English speakers. I am always impressed when people are capable of
speaking an additional language other than their native tongue and
criticizing them for grammatical mistakes on a list not focused on
grammatical correctness is petty and unwarranted. It is also off topic.

Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Travis Siegel
Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2018 12:40 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] wonder vs. wander

Not trying to make anybody mad here, but it really is disconcerting to see
so many people here using wander and wonder interchangeably.
Wander (with an"A" ) is what you do when you're out and about, and don't
have any particular place to be, and you just feel like taking your time to
see what's going on around you.  You wander around, looking at things, and
simply taking things easy.
On the other hand, wonder (with an "O" ) is what you do when you're curious
about something.  Yeah, it's ok to wonder about life, the universe and
everything, but if you wander about such things, you may never find your way
back to your back yard, having being swept off into galaxies unknown.
And, of course, it's perfectly acceptable to wonder about wandering too,
especially if you're wondering why so many people wander into things.








Re: [EXTERNAL] - Re: [nvda] wonder vs. wander

Joshua Crary <JCrary@...>
 

Some people who are low vision and do not visually see spelling develop poor spelling skills over time, as we do not have the visual reminder on daily basis on how to spell something correctly. 

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2018 11:16 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [EXTERNAL] - Re: [nvda] wonder vs. wander

 

I'm writing as a moderator to explain my thinking about the message.  Of course, if the owner disagrees, that will be the controling decision.

 

While it is generally not done and not considered proper, I think you are overreacting.  For one thing, I see this error with native English speakers.  I don't recall seeing it with non native speakers.  Since this sort of discussion never takes place on the list, I let it pass.  a little variety is enjoyable and may stimulate thought and awareness.  No one was flamed.  No one was disparaged.  These days, being offended by everything is a cultural passtime and fixsture.  I don't see anything offensive in the message.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Rick

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, November 19, 2018 5:21 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] wonder vs. wander

 

Hello Travis:

I find your email to be quite insensitive. As you are probably aware, this
list is comprised of people from all over the globe, many of whom are not
native English speakers. I am always impressed when people are capable of
speaking an additional language other than their native tongue and
criticizing them for grammatical mistakes on a list not focused on
grammatical correctness is petty and unwarranted. It is also off topic.

Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Travis Siegel
Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2018 12:40 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] wonder vs. wander

Not trying to make anybody mad here, but it really is disconcerting to see
so many people here using wander and wonder interchangeably.
Wander (with an"A" ) is what you do when you're out and about, and don't
have any particular place to be, and you just feel like taking your time to
see what's going on around you.  You wander around, looking at things, and
simply taking things easy.
On the other hand, wonder (with an "O" ) is what you do when you're curious
about something.  Yeah, it's ok to wonder about life, the universe and
everything, but if you wander about such things, you may never find your way
back to your back yard, having being swept off into galaxies unknown.
And, of course, it's perfectly acceptable to wonder about wandering too,
especially if you're wondering why so many people wander into things.






Caution: This email originated from outside of Roxbury Community College. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.


Re: wonder vs. wander

 

On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 11:15 AM, Gene wrote:
These days, being offended by everything is a cultural passtime and fixsture.  I don't see anything offensive in the message.
Amen, Gene!  (And I won't correct either of the spelling errors because they're not relevant!)

The message was also not specifically targeted at any individual, and dealing with misspellings of similar words or homonyms does create confusion, even if momentary.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

 

 


Re: Internet radio software recommended for use with NVDA?

seb naudet
 

hello,

radiosure is a good alternative.

free version is ok for a daily use.

and there's a nvda addon with shortcuts  to quickly access volume,
favorits etc...


     all the best

Le 18/11/2018 à 22:18, Jacob Kruger a écrit :
Asking this since the older, free version of tapIn radio was perfectly
usable, but, they've now updated to what seems to be a paid-for
version, and while it's station listings will be kept up to date, the
older version will start lacking functional entries in the station
listings.


Now, while I understand paying for worthwhile software, I tried out
the demo version of the new software, and, didn't like it's reworked
interface, and, secondly, I don't see why I should pay for something
like this if there are free alternatives that people would recommend?


So, suggestions on what to try out?


Would be nice if you could record it's output via the software, but,
that's not the end of the world, since the main thing is being able to
browse station categories/catalogues, being able to then control
playback, audio output, etc. etc.


Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
"...resistance is futile...but, acceptance is versatile..."



.


Re: wonder vs. wander

Gene
 

I'm writing as a moderator to explain my thinking about the message.  Of course, if the owner disagrees, that will be the controling decision.
 
While it is generally not done and not considered proper, I think you are overreacting.  For one thing, I see this error with native English speakers.  I don't recall seeing it with non native speakers.  Since this sort of discussion never takes place on the list, I let it pass.  a little variety is enjoyable and may stimulate thought and awareness.  No one was flamed.  No one was disparaged.  These days, being offended by everything is a cultural passtime and fixsture.  I don't see anything offensive in the message.
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
From: Rick
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2018 5:21 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] wonder vs. wander

Hello Travis:

I find your email to be quite insensitive. As you are probably aware, this
list is comprised of people from all over the globe, many of whom are not
native English speakers. I am always impressed when people are capable of
speaking an additional language other than their native tongue and
criticizing them for grammatical mistakes on a list not focused on
grammatical correctness is petty and unwarranted. It is also off topic.

Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Travis Siegel
Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2018 12:40 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] wonder vs. wander

Not trying to make anybody mad here, but it really is disconcerting to see
so many people here using wander and wonder interchangeably.
Wander (with an"A" ) is what you do when you're out and about, and don't
have any particular place to be, and you just feel like taking your time to
see what's going on around you.  You wander around, looking at things, and
simply taking things easy.
On the other hand, wonder (with an "O" ) is what you do when you're curious
about something.  Yeah, it's ok to wonder about life, the universe and
everything, but if you wander about such things, you may never find your way
back to your back yard, having being swept off into galaxies unknown.
And, of course, it's perfectly acceptable to wonder about wandering too,
especially if you're wondering why so many people wander into things.








Re: Internet radio software recommended for use with NVDA?

Gene
 

I haven't checked that interface much.  the search interface, where you search for a station by typing something like a country is different but similar to many applications.  Now, instead of just typing, there is a search button in the interface.  I don't know why you only see three stations or how you are looking.  I typed South Africa into the search field and searched.  I didn't count how many stations were found, but I downarrowed more than twenty times in the list and I was still moving to new stations.  I am using the newest version.
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2018 4:50 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Internet radio software recommended for use with NVDA?

Well, for example, it seems to think that here in South Africa, there are only like 3 streaming radio stations?


Besides that, the genre/locality browsing interface is rather clumsy, but, suppose that might just be due to me being somewhat used to the previous interface.


I'll probably give it a try again, but, like said, doesn't help that it seems to think that there are only 3 radio stations under the South African locale, where the prior version shows up to something like 70+, but anyway.


Maybe I will be able to copy the listings across versions as well - who knows.


Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
"...resistance is futile...but, acceptance is versatile..."
On 2018-11-19 1:54 AM, Gene wrote:
What didn't you like about the interface?  You don't have to pay to use it because of a design flaw or bug, whetever it is. 
 
After the demo period runs out, if you open the program and start it playing, it will be fully functional for a few minutes.
Then, an ok button will come up.  If you have already decided to listen to a specific station and have it playing, it will play that station until you activate the ok button.  The program will then close and the default web browser will open to the Tapin site.  of course, you can just close it.
 
To keep the playlist current, use the search for updates feature at intervals.  I haven't tried to see how often updates come out.  My impression is something like once a month or two.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2018 3:18 PM
Subject: [nvda] Internet radio software recommended for use with NVDA?

Asking this since the older, free version of tapIn radio was perfectly
usable, but, they've now updated to what seems to be a paid-for version,
and while it's station listings will be kept up to date, the older
version will start lacking functional entries in the station listings.


Now, while I understand paying for worthwhile software, I tried out the
demo version of the new software, and, didn't like it's reworked
interface, and, secondly, I don't see why I should pay for something
like this if there are free alternatives that people would recommend?


So, suggestions on what to try out?


Would be nice if you could record it's output via the software, but,
that's not the end of the world, since the main thing is being able to
browse station categories/catalogues, being able to then control
playback, audio output, etc. etc.


Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
"...resistance is futile...but, acceptance is versatile..."



Re: vlc app

JM Casey
 

Hey.

Yes, you will want to use the wiki to get started, and possibly make reference to it later.

I still have trouble with some of the advanced preferences, doing things like applying filters. There’s a lot under VLC’s hood though and if you want to play videos, especially, it’s invaluable.

 

Re the forum, I think there might be a captsha unfortunately.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: November 19, 2018 9:54 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] vlc app

 

Forgot to mention that their wiki is very comprehensive as well:  https://wiki.videolan.org/
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

 

 


Re: Reading Charts

Gene
 

But we don't know if that is at all likely.  I am assuming that the machine speaks and that the data has already been heard at the time the pressure was taken.  It's possible that there is a bug or problem with the machine so it isn't stored correctly but if it was correctly spoken, that would be very unlikely.  Also, my talking machine allows me to go back and check memories with speech.  Every time I've done so, the memory is correct.
 
While I agree that someone might want the reassurrance of making sure, it is very unlikely that errors will occcur.
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2018 4:13 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Reading Charts

Well I'd want to know what I'm sending. I would not want, for example my med
data to be shared if its just wrong
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene" <gsasner@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2018 2:09 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Reading Charts


No screen-reader can read images.  There is no written text to read.  Maybe
you could use OCR to make the charts readable for a screen-reader but if
accuracy matters, I have no idea how accurately the numbers would be
rendered and you would have to check numbers that look wrong or not routine.

But I don't understand the question.  You said you want to send the charts.
Aren't you sending them to a sighted person?  Why does it matter if NVDA can
read them?

Gene
----- Original Message -----

From: Stephen Costigan
Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2018 3:04 AM
To: NVDA
Subject: Re: [nvda] Reading Charts


My apologies I should have mentioned that the charts are sent as images.


Regards

Stephen


On 18/11/2018 08:56, Stephen Costigan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone tell me if NVDA can read charts, the reason why I ask is
> because I can send reports and charts from my blood glucose machine to
> my laptop.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Stephen
>
>
>
>
>










Re: wonder vs. wander

Gene
 

These days, when there are no standards for writing on e-mail lists, instant messaging, texting, etc. people just write or dictate and never check anything.  So easily distinguishable or not makes little difference.
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2018 4:07 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] wonder vs. wander

Could it be that they are dictating the text?
 I see this a lot on dictated text messages.
 Its also hard to hear the difference unless you spell the word.

In English though there are more odd things like
 There was a flaw in their argument, where the wrong There can get put in.

also he was made of the write stuff, instead of Right stuff.

 Enquires instead of enquires. I can easily miss such things as spell
checkers are of no use as they are valid words.
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Travis Siegel" <tsiegel@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2018 5:40 PM
Subject: [nvda] wonder vs. wander


Not trying to make anybody mad here, but it really is disconcerting to
see so many people here using wander and wonder interchangeably.
Wander (with an"A" ) is what you do when you're out and about, and don't
have any particular place to be, and you just feel like taking your time
to see what's going on around you. You wander around, looking at
things, and simply taking things easy.
On the other hand, wonder (with an "O" ) is what you do when you're
curious about something. Yeah, it's ok to wonder about life, the
universe and everything, but if you wander about such things, you may
never find your way back to your back yard, having being swept off into
galaxies unknown.
And, of course, it's perfectly acceptable to wonder about wandering too,
especially if you're wondering why so many people wander into things.