Date   
Re: how to record audio from the computer with no mic plugged in sure could use some help.

Robert Doc Wright godfearer
 

Goldwave would be your best bet. In its microphone section it has a loopback feature that will allow you to point it to your sound card and record from it.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sue J. Ward" <groovy41@...>
To: "nvda groups" <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, January 3, 2019 9:11 PM
Subject: [nvda] how to record audio from the computer with no mic plugged in sure could use some help.


Hello. Does anyone know of any audio recording software that works with NVDA with no mic attached to the computer? I want to record a lot of internal stuff from my computer with no mic attached. I have tried audacity with everything they suggested when reading the user guide to make it work no such luck since am using windows 10. Lets just say if I want to record a radio station or anything from my computer what type of program could I use with NVDA? I have heard of total recorder and gold wave would those programs work since I do have everything up to date and I did check in the recording section and I have no stereo mics on my sound card. Have any of you used sound tap or any apps with in the app store to get anything to work with NVDA? I have tried everything with the line in jack nothing. Or maybe I am not setting it up right. Any suggestions would be excellent. Thank you.
____________________________________________________________
Top Gut Doctor Warns: "Throw Out This Vegetable Immediately"
unhealthpublications.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5c2edd115b38d5d104ca5st01duc


Re: how to record audio from the computer with no mic plugged in sure could use some help.

Gene
 

Goldwave isn't free and there is no reason to use it for simple recording and editing.  I'll look at the program I'm going to send tomorrow and make sure what the options are.  The options may be all you need.  Or, you may need to learn to change sound card settings to record using a line-in input.  But just what do you want to record?  Do you want to record from a physical radio or record a radio stream that is streaming online?  What sorts of other things do you want to record?
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2019 10:16 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] how to record audio from the computer with no mic plugged in sure could use some help.

What options do you have in goldwave under the options, control properties, device tab?
Thanks,
Sam
 

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sue J. Ward
Sent: Thursday, January 3, 2019 9:12 PM
To: nvda groups <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: [nvda] how to record audio from the computer with no mic plugged in sure could use some help.

  Hello. Does anyone know of any audio recording software that works with NVDA with no mic attached to the computer? I want to record a lot of internal stuff from my computer with no mic attached. I have tried audacity with everything they suggested when reading the user guide to make it work no such luck since am using windows 10. Lets just say if I want to record a radio station or anything from my computer what type of program could I use with NVDA? I have heard of total recorder and gold wave would those programs work since I do have everything up to date and I did check in the recording section and I have no stereo mics on my sound card. Have any of you used sound tap or any apps with in the app store to get anything to work with NVDA? I have tried everything with the line in jack nothing. Or maybe I am not setting it up right. Any suggestions would be excellent. Thank you.
____________________________________________________________
Top Gut Doctor Warns: "Throw Out This Vegetable Immediately"
unhealthpublications.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5c2edd115b38d5d104ca5st01duc





Re: how to record audio from the computer with no mic plugged in sure could use some help.

Gene
 

I'll send a link for a recorder that you can record as you wish.  But the program doesn't allow you to edit.  the program is very simple.  If you want to edit in the MP3 format, MP3 Direct Cut would be the program I would recommend.  If you want to record in another format, then editing in audacity would be what you might want to do.  There is a technical reason why editing an MP3 file is better done with MP3 Direct Cut and MP3 Direct Cut is the simplest MP3 editing program I know of.
 
I'll send the program tomorrow with a description of how to use it.
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2019 10:11 PM
Subject: [nvda] how to record audio from the computer with no mic plugged in sure could use some help.

  Hello. Does anyone know of any audio recording software that works
with NVDA with no mic attached to the computer? I want to record a lot
of internal stuff from my computer with no mic attached. I have tried
audacity with everything they suggested when reading the user guide to
make it work no such luck since am using windows 10. Lets just say if I
want to record a radio station or anything from my computer what type of
program could I use with NVDA? I have heard of total recorder and gold
wave would those programs work since I do have everything up to date and
I did check in the recording section and I have no stereo mics on my
sound card. Have any of you used sound tap or any apps with in the app
store to get anything to work with NVDA? I have tried everything with
the line in jack nothing. Or maybe I am not setting it up right. Any
suggestions would be excellent. Thank you.
____________________________________________________________
Top Gut Doctor Warns: "Throw Out This Vegetable Immediately"
unhealthpublications.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5c2edd115b38d5d104ca5st01duc


Re: how to record audio from the computer with no mic plugged in sure could use some help.

Sam Bushman
 

What options do you have in goldwave under the options, control properties, device tab?
Thanks,
Sam

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sue J. Ward
Sent: Thursday, January 3, 2019 9:12 PM
To: nvda groups <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: [nvda] how to record audio from the computer with no mic plugged in sure could use some help.

Hello. Does anyone know of any audio recording software that works with NVDA with no mic attached to the computer? I want to record a lot of internal stuff from my computer with no mic attached. I have tried audacity with everything they suggested when reading the user guide to make it work no such luck since am using windows 10. Lets just say if I want to record a radio station or anything from my computer what type of program could I use with NVDA? I have heard of total recorder and gold wave would those programs work since I do have everything up to date and I did check in the recording section and I have no stereo mics on my sound card. Have any of you used sound tap or any apps with in the app store to get anything to work with NVDA? I have tried everything with the line in jack nothing. Or maybe I am not setting it up right. Any suggestions would be excellent. Thank you.
____________________________________________________________
Top Gut Doctor Warns: "Throw Out This Vegetable Immediately"
unhealthpublications.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5c2edd115b38d5d104ca5st01duc

how to record audio from the computer with no mic plugged in sure could use some help.

Sue J. Ward
 

Hello. Does anyone know of any audio recording software that works with NVDA with no mic attached to the computer? I want to record a lot of internal stuff from my computer with no mic attached. I have tried audacity with everything they suggested when reading the user guide to make it work no such luck since am using windows 10. Lets just say if I want to record a radio station or anything from my computer what type of program could I use with NVDA? I have heard of total recorder and gold wave would those programs work since I do have everything up to date and I did check in the recording section and I have no stereo mics on my sound card. Have any of you used sound tap or any apps with in the app store to get anything to work with NVDA? I have tried everything with the line in jack nothing. Or maybe I am not setting it up right. Any suggestions would be excellent. Thank you.
____________________________________________________________
Top Gut Doctor Warns: "Throw Out This Vegetable Immediately"
unhealthpublications.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5c2edd115b38d5d104ca5st01duc

Re: Add-Ons

 

What you get when you try pressing enter on the file?

Cheers,
Marcio

Em 03/01/2019 22:21, Ervin, Glenn escreveu:

Hi,

I tried installing an add-on, and entering on it did not ask me to add it.

Did NVDA start using a new extension for add-ons?

Glenn

�

Glenn Ervin� Orientation Counselor II

Norfolk Nebraska

402 370 3436

Cell: 402 992 0325

Welcome | NCBVI

�


Add-Ons

Ervin, Glenn
 

Hi,

I tried installing an add-on, and entering on it did not ask me to add it.

Did NVDA start using a new extension for add-ons?

Glenn

 

Glenn Ervin  Orientation Counselor II

Norfolk Nebraska

402 370 3436

Cell: 402 992 0325

Welcome | NCBVI

 

Re: nvda doesn't announce the start menu after pressing the windows key

 

Are you using the Win 10 App Essentials add-on? If not, try using it and see what happens.
You can find it at the NVDA add-ons website.
Hth

Cheers,
Marcio


Em 03/01/2019 21:39, molly the blind tech lover escreveu:

Hey guys, Molly here again.

For some reason 99 percent of the time Nvda doesn�t announce that I�m on the start menu when I press the windows logo key. I press it and Nvda says nothing at all. It�s happening on both machines. It�s frustrating because I�m needing to access different folders and I want to search for them using the start menu.

Do you have any ideas on what could be causing this?

Running windows 10 home, build 17763 on both machines.

Thanks.


Re: nvda doesn't announce the start menu after pressing the windows key

molly the blind tech lover
 

Hi.

I’ve been experiencing this issue ever since my machines received build 17763.  

Very odd.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sarah k Alawami
Sent: Thursday, January 3, 2019 6:52 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda doesn't announce the start menu after pressing the windows key

 

I believe I have the same issue. In fact I think I saw it yesterday. I have the essentials add o installed if that makes a difference, which it probably does not. I hope it is a fluke for both of us.

Running windows 10 1809. I have to look up the nvda version but it is the latest beta build, that much I know.

On 3 Jan 2019, at 15:39, molly the blind tech lover wrote:

Hey guys, Molly here again.

For some reason 99 percent of the time Nvda doesn’t announce that I’m on the start menu when I press the windows logo key. I press it and Nvda says nothing at all. It’s happening on both machines. It’s frustrating because I’m needing to access different folders and I want to search for them using the start menu.

Do you have any ideas on what could be causing this?

Running windows 10 home, build 17763 on both machines.

Thanks.

Re: nvda doesn't announce the start menu after pressing the windows key

molly the blind tech lover
 

Thanks.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, January 3, 2019 6:53 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda doesn't announce the start menu after pressing the windows key

 

You should easily be able to confirm where you are.  I don't use Windows 10 but one or both of these commands should tell you directly or indirectly where you are:

Try NVDA key t for the title bar.  Also try NVDA key tab, which reads the current control you are on. 

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2019 5:39 PM

Subject: [nvda] nvda doesn't announce the start menu after pressing the windows key

 

Hey guys, Molly here again.

For some reason 99 percent of the time Nvda doesn’t announce that I’m on the start menu when I press the windows logo key. I press it and Nvda says nothing at all. It’s happening on both machines. It’s frustrating because I’m needing to access different folders and I want to search for them using the start menu.

Do you have any ideas on what could be causing this?

Running windows 10 home, build 17763 on both machines.

Thanks.

Re: nvda doesn't announce the start menu after pressing the windows key

Sarah k Alawami
 

In my case I hearthe edit field as I have an add on that plays sounds, but yeah I remember it did say start menu. For me a restart of nvda works fine.

Take care

On 3 Jan 2019, at 15:52, Gene wrote:

You should easily be able to confirm where you are.  I don't use Windows 10 but one or both of these commands should tell you directly or indirectly where you are:
Try NVDA key t for the title bar.  Also try NVDA key tab, which reads the current control you are on. 
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2019 5:39 PM
Subject: [nvda] nvda doesn't announce the start menu after pressing the windows key

Hey guys, Molly here again.

For some reason 99 percent of the time Nvda doesn’t announce that I’m on the start menu when I press the windows logo key. I press it and Nvda says nothing at all. It’s happening on both machines. It’s frustrating because I’m needing to access different folders and I want to search for them using the start menu.

Do you have any ideas on what could be causing this?

Running windows 10 home, build 17763 on both machines.

Thanks.

Re: nvda doesn't announce the start menu after pressing the windows key

Sarah k Alawami
 

I believe I have the same issue. In fact I think I saw it yesterday. I have the essentials add o installed if that makes a difference, which it probably does not. I hope it is a fluke for both of us.

Running windows 10 1809. I have to look up the nvda version but it is the latest beta build, that much I know.

On 3 Jan 2019, at 15:39, molly the blind tech lover wrote:

Hey guys, Molly here again.

For some reason 99 percent of the time Nvda doesn’t announce that I’m on the start menu when I press the windows logo key. I press it and Nvda says nothing at all. It’s happening on both machines. It’s frustrating because I’m needing to access different folders and I want to search for them using the start menu.

Do you have any ideas on what could be causing this?

Running windows 10 home, build 17763 on both machines.

Thanks.

Re: nvda doesn't announce the start menu after pressing the windows key

Gene
 

You should easily be able to confirm where you are.  I don't use Windows 10 but one or both of these commands should tell you directly or indirectly where you are:
Try NVDA key t for the title bar.  Also try NVDA key tab, which reads the current control you are on. 
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2019 5:39 PM
Subject: [nvda] nvda doesn't announce the start menu after pressing the windows key

Hey guys, Molly here again.

For some reason 99 percent of the time Nvda doesn’t announce that I’m on the start menu when I press the windows logo key. I press it and Nvda says nothing at all. It’s happening on both machines. It’s frustrating because I’m needing to access different folders and I want to search for them using the start menu.

Do you have any ideas on what could be causing this?

Running windows 10 home, build 17763 on both machines.

Thanks.

nvda doesn't announce the start menu after pressing the windows key

molly the blind tech lover
 

Hey guys, Molly here again.

For some reason 99 percent of the time Nvda doesn’t announce that I’m on the start menu when I press the windows logo key. I press it and Nvda says nothing at all. It’s happening on both machines. It’s frustrating because I’m needing to access different folders and I want to search for them using the start menu.

Do you have any ideas on what could be causing this?

Running windows 10 home, build 17763 on both machines.

Thanks.

Re: Add-on Updater: counting down to release of version 19.01.1 #addonrelease

Sarah k Alawami
 

Ah. I restarted my computer, actually it was a cold start hence why I have only ben getting theemessage once. It was pretty neat though, thanks for that and happy new year.

On 3 Jan 2019, at 13:42, Roger Stewart wrote:

Joseph gave a fix for this this morning. You just shut down nvda, wait about a minute or so, then restart it.  Then it is gone. I also rebooted my computer and the message did not appear so the problem is fixed now.

Roger










On 1/3/2019 2:19 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

How odd. Can you reinstall the add on? Maybe that will fix it?

On 3 Jan 2019, at 8:10, Roger Stewart wrote:

I'm having the same problem here.  This is the third morning I've seen that message and there is no button that says don't show this dialog again or anything. I just hit the escape key right away and it is gone until the next reboot.

Roger










On 1/2/2019 10:03 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

No issue here. I just saw it once, and that's it. Did you restart the computer or nvda to make sure it actually does appear?

Take care

On 2 Jan 2019, at 15:42, Abbie Taylor wrote:

Ever since I updated the add-on, Joseph Lee's Happy New Year message pops up whenever I start NVDA. How do I keep that from happening?
--
Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author
http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com
http://abbiescorner.wordpress.com
abbietaylor945@...



Re: Add-on Updater: counting down to release of version 19.01.1 #addonrelease

Roger Stewart
 

I saw a message from Joseph that a new version is out now and it removes the message. I haven't seen the update here yet, but the fix I did earlier has fixed it for now. Will probably get the new version tomorrow morning when I start up again.

Roger







On 1/3/2019 4:14 PM, P. Otter wrote:
hi I've the same problem.
every morning i hear the same story.
is it possible to create an update that stops it.
This is really annoying and that is probably not the intention
cheers Paul Otter
Op 3-1-2019 om 21:19 schreef Sarah k Alawami:

How odd. Can you reinstall the add on? Maybe that will fix it?

On 3 Jan 2019, at 8:10, Roger Stewart wrote:

I'm having the same problem here.  This is the third morning I've seen that message and there is no button that says don't show this dialog again or anything. I just hit the escape key right away and it is gone until the next reboot.

Roger










On 1/2/2019 10:03 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

No issue here. I just saw it once, and that's it. Did you restart the computer or nvda to make sure it actually does appear?

Take care

On 2 Jan 2019, at 15:42, Abbie Taylor wrote:

Ever since I updated the add-on, Joseph Lee's Happy New Year message pops up whenever I start NVDA. How do I keep that from happening?
--
Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author
http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com
http://abbiescorner.wordpress.com
abbietaylor945@...




Re: Add-on Updater: counting down to release of version 19.01.1 #addonrelease

P. Otter
 

hi I've the same problem.
every morning i hear the same story.
is it possible to create an update that stops it.
This is really annoying and that is probably not the intention
cheers Paul Otter
Op 3-1-2019 om 21:19 schreef Sarah k Alawami:

How odd. Can you reinstall the add on? Maybe that will fix it?

On 3 Jan 2019, at 8:10, Roger Stewart wrote:

I'm having the same problem here.  This is the third morning I've seen that message and there is no button that says don't show this dialog again or anything. I just hit the escape key right away and it is gone until the next reboot.

Roger










On 1/2/2019 10:03 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

No issue here. I just saw it once, and that's it. Did you restart the computer or nvda to make sure it actually does appear?

Take care

On 2 Jan 2019, at 15:42, Abbie Taylor wrote:

Ever since I updated the add-on, Joseph Lee's Happy New Year message pops up whenever I start NVDA. How do I keep that from happening?
--
Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author
http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com
http://abbiescorner.wordpress.com
abbietaylor945@...



Re: Add-on Updater: counting down to release of version 19.01.1 #addonrelease

Roger Stewart
 

Joseph gave a fix for this this morning. You just shut down nvda, wait about a minute or so, then restart it.  Then it is gone. I also rebooted my computer and the message did not appear so the problem is fixed now.

Roger










On 1/3/2019 2:19 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

How odd. Can you reinstall the add on? Maybe that will fix it?

On 3 Jan 2019, at 8:10, Roger Stewart wrote:

I'm having the same problem here.  This is the third morning I've seen that message and there is no button that says don't show this dialog again or anything. I just hit the escape key right away and it is gone until the next reboot.

Roger










On 1/2/2019 10:03 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

No issue here. I just saw it once, and that's it. Did you restart the computer or nvda to make sure it actually does appear?

Take care

On 2 Jan 2019, at 15:42, Abbie Taylor wrote:

Ever since I updated the add-on, Joseph Lee's Happy New Year message pops up whenever I start NVDA. How do I keep that from happening?
--
Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author
http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com
http://abbiescorner.wordpress.com
abbietaylor945@...



Re: NVDA elequence question

Gene
 

The issue isn't just legal protection, though I consider that a valid consideration.  NVDA relies on a reputation for not engaging in questionable activities in terms of its promotion and this list is a part of that mechanism to develop and keep such a reputation.  NVDA gets grants from various companies, Microsoft, Mozilla, and I don't know who else might provide grants.  It is unwise to have a major organ for discussion and promotion of NVDA that allows questionable content.
 
Obviously, you can't stop all discussion.  Someone is going to make some comment or mention some illegal product.  but to allow such discussion to continue is tantamount to the list owner endorsing the discussion, which is a very bad idea for reasons I've already discussed.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2019 2:24 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA elequence question

It must then either be a groups.io issue or lack of cooperation by the
admins when explicitly requested. Anyway, there's no need to share the
link directly over here, the fact that such a discussion even exists
probably made a lot of people open up their Googles and that's all they
needed. The addon isn't especially hard to find, so I think discussing
it and not sharing it would be the best option. Those who really want it
will find it eventually, those who prefer to stay on the legal side
won't even look for it. I don't think there are people who are able to
install addons but aren't able to make a simple Google query, so I don't
see the point in sharing the link directly if it might get us into
trouble. Those people should know that such a thing exists and that it
is illegal, as it's not clearly indicated on the addons website. That's
why most people think there's a free legal Eloquence.

BTW if groups.io is really that keen on shutting down list for such a
reason (they probably are too lazy to deal with DMCas) then I'm very
uncertain as to this list's future. If it gets big enough, something
will eventually happen whether we want it or not and they might shut the
list down. It might be illegal content, obscene language or whatever
else we might deem appropriate but they won't. I would recommend looking
for alternatives like Googlegroups. Google is much bigger, probably less
whimsy and their skin might be a bit thicker, though we'd have to see
about that.


W dniu 2019-01-03 o 19:42, Gene pisze:
> I don't know if others on list know more about the law in the United
> States.  I do know that many lists have been shut down in the last year
> or two for illegally sharing material such as books and movies.  The
> owner of this list serve has done so.  I don't know who else may have,
> but such is not allowed on this list serve and probably elsewhere.
> Gene
> ----- Original Message -----
> *From:* mikolaj holysz <mailto:miki123211@...>
> *Sent:* Thursday, January 03, 2019 11:34 AM
> *To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> *Subject:* Re: [nvda] NVDA elequence question
>
>
>  > If a list allows such discussions, it is opened to legal liability.  It
>  > is illegal to use such programs.  Promoting their use is illegal and
>  > lists that allow it may be shut down by the owner of whatever list serve
>  > the list is on and, though very unlikely, the list could have legal
>  > action taken against it by the owner of whatever intellectual property
>  > is being used illegally.
> Can I ask for a source of that info, please? This is definitely untrue
> in most countries. An admin is not and will never be responsible for
> what it's users post, if that weren't true, no one would dare to make
> web 2.0 websites (like Facebook, Wordpress etc). The only responsibility
> of the admin is to remove content from their website if they get an
> official letter from a copyright owner stating that this content is
> illegal, with all the necessary statements. I don't know why many admins
> in the blind community think otherwise. Even so, no law can prohibit
> discussing such content if it's not shared. Discussing how much such a
> content is worth is, in most cases, allowed. That's why the /r/piracy
> Reddit flourishes and Reddit itself doesn't do anything about it. They
> don't have to. THey have a strict "no posting of content" policy. They
> only put general links to websites, not even direct links to content,
> and they're perfectly fine, even though most of that subreddit consists
> of threads like "is downloading xxx from torrents safe" or "on what
> website can I get books in language xxx for free". Discussing technical
> processes used to make cracks or avoid drm might be illegal, though. If
> there's someone who can be sued, it's definitely the developer of such
> cracked software, and probably the one who put it there, maybe the one
> who posted the link but that's questionable.
>
> Of course the information presented above should not be considered legal
> advice, and actually doing some reading is recommended. Doing some
> reading is always recommended, blindly repeating what others have said
> never does us much good, and actually that's what many website owners
> do, that's why we have that Eloquence and GDPR dramas in the first
> place. Most of that is wildly unnecessary. I personally think that
> admins (of websites in general) should do as little as the law allows
> them to, respond to whatever they're obliged to respond and not overdo
> it out of fear.
>
>
>



Re: NVDA elequence question

Antony Stone
 

I think the fundamental point here is that the people, the developers and the
company behind NVDA do not want to be associated in any way with discussion of
illegal activity.

Therefore, if you want to discuss it, do it somewhere else.

That's a policy which the operators of this list have decided upon, and anyone
subscribing to list is expected to go along with it.

Most mailing lists (and similar forums, groups, etc, which are basically the
same thing by another name) have rules which subscribers are expected /
required to abide by, and this is one of the rules for this list.

Regards,


Antony.

On Thursday 03 January 2019 at 21:24:00, mikolaj holysz wrote:

It must then either be a groups.io issue or lack of cooperation by the
admins when explicitly requested. Anyway, there's no need to share the
link directly over here, the fact that such a discussion even exists
probably made a lot of people open up their Googles and that's all they
needed. The addon isn't especially hard to find, so I think discussing
it and not sharing it would be the best option. Those who really want it
will find it eventually, those who prefer to stay on the legal side
won't even look for it. I don't think there are people who are able to
install addons but aren't able to make a simple Google query, so I don't
see the point in sharing the link directly if it might get us into
trouble. Those people should know that such a thing exists and that it
is illegal, as it's not clearly indicated on the addons website. That's
why most people think there's a free legal Eloquence.

BTW if groups.io is really that keen on shutting down list for such a
reason (they probably are too lazy to deal with DMCas) then I'm very
uncertain as to this list's future. If it gets big enough, something
will eventually happen whether we want it or not and they might shut the
list down. It might be illegal content, obscene language or whatever
else we might deem appropriate but they won't. I would recommend looking
for alternatives like Googlegroups. Google is much bigger, probably less
whimsy and their skin might be a bit thicker, though we'd have to see
about that.

W dniu 2019-01-03 o 19:42, Gene pisze:
I don't know if others on list know more about the law in the United
States. I do know that many lists have been shut down in the last year
or two for illegally sharing material such as books and movies. The
owner of this list serve has done so. I don't know who else may have,
but such is not allowed on this list serve and probably elsewhere.
Gene
----- Original Message -----
*From:* mikolaj holysz <mailto:miki123211@...>
*Sent:* Thursday, January 03, 2019 11:34 AM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] NVDA elequence question

> If a list allows such discussions, it is opened to legal liability.
> It is illegal to use such programs. Promoting their use is illegal
> and lists that allow it may be shut down by the owner of whatever
> list serve the list is on and, though very unlikely, the list could
> have legal action taken against it by the owner of whatever
> intellectual property is being used illegally.

Can I ask for a source of that info, please? This is definitely untrue
in most countries. An admin is not and will never be responsible for
what it's users post, if that weren't true, no one would dare to make
web 2.0 websites (like Facebook, Wordpress etc). The only responsibility
of the admin is to remove content from their website if they get an
official letter from a copyright owner stating that this content is
illegal, with all the necessary statements. I don't know why many admins
in the blind community think otherwise. Even so, no law can prohibit
discussing such content if it's not shared. Discussing how much such a
content is worth is, in most cases, allowed. That's why the /r/piracy
Reddit flourishes and Reddit itself doesn't do anything about it. They
don't have to. THey have a strict "no posting of content" policy. They
only put general links to websites, not even direct links to content,
and they're perfectly fine, even though most of that subreddit consists
of threads like "is downloading xxx from torrents safe" or "on what
website can I get books in language xxx for free". Discussing technical
processes used to make cracks or avoid drm might be illegal, though. If
there's someone who can be sued, it's definitely the developer of such
cracked software, and probably the one who put it there, maybe the one
who posted the link but that's questionable.

Of course the information presented above should not be considered legal
advice, and actually doing some reading is recommended. Doing some
reading is always recommended, blindly repeating what others have said
never does us much good, and actually that's what many website owners
do, that's why we have that Eloquence and GDPR dramas in the first
place. Most of that is wildly unnecessary. I personally think that
admins (of websites in general) should do as little as the law allows
them to, respond to whatever they're obliged to respond and not overdo
it out of fear.
--
A good conversation is like a miniskirt;
short enought to retain interest,
but long enough to cover the subject.

- Celeste Headlee


Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.