Date   
locked Re: Exporting bookmarks to a file?

Gene
 

You are not saying that because of anything I've done as a moderator.  You are saying that because you don't like me personally.  If you can make a case for not liking me personally translating into me not serving as moderator, I'd be very curious to hear.
 
What you really want is for me to not be on the list any longer.  You have no basis to complain about me as a moderator because I do almost no moderation.  The list needs almost none. 
 
I didn't ask to be moderator.  I was asked.  I can relinquish being a moderator just as I assumed the responsibilities when I was asked.  My ego isn't involved in being a moderator.  If some way for list members to vote on the question is arranged by the owner and if enough people want me to leave, fine.  I am serving as moderator to do something to serve the community, as I was asked to do.  If the community doesn't want that service, fine.  But I will still be a member of the list annoying you as usual because I almost never do anything as a moderator because the list almost entirely runs itself. 
 
Gene
 

Sent: Monday, February 11, 2019 10:07 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Exporting bookmarks to a file?

Even though I've ben quiet for about 2 years about this matter I second that motion. No further discussion is needed, 3 to 0 in favor? Yeah. I'd say to kick him out. I'm not normally this harsh, but this has ben grating on my nervs for the 2 or so years I've ben on his list.

Take care

On 11 Feb 2019, at 7:36, Lino Morales wrote:

David. You’ve said sir what I’ve and possibly others have been feeling for several months now and I thank you. With that being said With Nimar Jabar’s blessing which I doubt he’ll give I propose that Gene be removed as list moderator. I’ve been wanting to say this for a very long time and as Casey Casum used to say “and their you have it”. Time to recuse yourself Geno.

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of David Goldfield <david.goldfield@...>
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2019 9:30:28 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Exporting bookmarks to a file?
 

Gene,

To admonish means to warn or to reprimand firmly. This most recent message definitely sounds like a reprimand to me and it's not the first message you've written where you have displayed a patronizing, condescending tone. When people tell you this you insist that you are right and that they are wrong and not seeing things clearly or that, in this case, they're not defining terms based on your own dictionary definition. No doubt you will be tempted to spend the next five or ten minutes firing off a response indicating why I, in fact, am wrong and why you are totally justified in your behavior. Please don't bother because I won't read it. Mailing lists should be a safe haven for people to ask any question they might have and know that they will receive a charitable response. At times you give mailing lists like this a bad name and I'm frankly sick of it. When someone asks a question it doesn't matter what they may or may not assume. If they knew everything they wouldn't be asking questions on this list. Why not use your knowledge to just provide a charitable response rather than reprimanding and chastising them.


David Goldfield, Assistive Technology Specialist WWW.David-Goldfield.Com
On 2/10/2019 8:43 PM, Gene wrote:
I'll answer your question below.  But first, I'll make this comment:
I didn't admonish you.  You are referring to my messages in which I said that if you ask before assuming something can't be done, you may save yourself a good deal of time and trouble.  You may also find that you can use programs you didn't think you could.  Admonish means to warn, as in there will be punishment if you don't do something.  I didn't do that. 
 
As for the answer to your question, do the following:
In Firefox, use the command control shift b to open the all bookmarks window.  You will hear that you are in the library.
Open the menus with alt.  They are different menus than in the main part of the program. 
Right arrow to import and backup.
Down arrow until you get to export bookmarks as html.  Press enter and follow the wizard.  It is similar to exporting book marks in Internet Explorer. 
After you finish exporting, if you want to return to the main program, close the window with alt f4.  You opened a second window when you used control shift b.  Ask if you have problems.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: MAX
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2019 6:46 PM
To: NVDA
Subject: [nvda] Exporting bookmarks to a file?

I have been admonished to ask before complaining.  So here goes.  Is there
any way to export bookmarks to an html file in Firefox?  This is possible
in internet explorer and I have gotten in the habit of using it.  I have
the latest versions of windows 10 and Firefox.


73 (Regards).

Max.  K 4 O DS.

I've Never Lost the Wonder.

Email: max@...

Vacuum Tube  Site: http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/
Transistor site: http://www.angelfire.com/planet/funwithtransistors/
Woodworking site:
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/Woodworking/wwindex.html
Music site: http://www.maxsmusicplace.com

To subscribe to the fun with transistors group send an email to.
Funwithtransistors+subscribe@groups.io

To subscribe to the fun with tubes group send an email to,
funwithtubes+subscribe@groups.io

To subscribe to the fun with wood group send a blank email to
funwithwood+subscribe@groups.io




Re: Intent of any post being misinterpreted

Devin Prater
 

Molly, it seems that you love a whole lot of things. 😀

On Feb 11, 2019, at 10:11 AM, molly the blind tech lover <brainardmolly@...> wrote:

I love emojis.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Shook
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2019 8:39 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Intent of any post being misinterpreted

An Emoji is a face or figure made up of dots that conveys the mood of the
email.
For example, Look below my signature and NVDA should tell you, Smiling
Smiley.
Hpe this helps.
Chris

:-)






locked Re: Exporting bookmarks to a file?

Gene
 

First, I wasn't writing as a moderator.  Second, I didn't ask to be list moderator.  I was asked.  Third, if you can see anything I've done in my moderation activities that warrants removal, fine.  Take it up with the owner instead of publicly on the list. 
 
And last, no one can like or get along with everyone.  If you doh't like me, that's too bad.  But whether you like me or not has nothing to do with whether I should continue to serve as moderator.  And if I am removed, I'll still be a list member, annoying you in the same ways. 
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2019 9:36 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Exporting bookmarks to a file?

David. You’ve said sir what I’ve and possibly others have been feeling for several months now and I thank you. With that being said With Nimar Jabar’s blessing which I doubt he’ll give I propose that Gene be removed as list moderator. I’ve been wanting to say this for a very long time and as Casey Casum used to say “and their you have it”. Time to recuse yourself Geno.

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of David Goldfield <david.goldfield@...>
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2019 9:30:28 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Exporting bookmarks to a file?
 

Gene,

To admonish means to warn or to reprimand firmly. This most recent message definitely sounds like a reprimand to me and it's not the first message you've written where you have displayed a patronizing, condescending tone. When people tell you this you insist that you are right and that they are wrong and not seeing things clearly or that, in this case, they're not defining terms based on your own dictionary definition. No doubt you will be tempted to spend the next five or ten minutes firing off a response indicating why I, in fact, am wrong and why you are totally justified in your behavior. Please don't bother because I won't read it. Mailing lists should be a safe haven for people to ask any question they might have and know that they will receive a charitable response. At times you give mailing lists like this a bad name and I'm frankly sick of it. When someone asks a question it doesn't matter what they may or may not assume. If they knew everything they wouldn't be asking questions on this list. Why not use your knowledge to just provide a charitable response rather than reprimanding and chastising them.


David Goldfield, Assistive Technology Specialist WWW.David-Goldfield.Com
On 2/10/2019 8:43 PM, Gene wrote:
I'll answer your question below.  But first, I'll make this comment:
I didn't admonish you.  You are referring to my messages in which I said that if you ask before assuming something can't be done, you may save yourself a good deal of time and trouble.  You may also find that you can use programs you didn't think you could.  Admonish means to warn, as in there will be punishment if you don't do something.  I didn't do that. 
 
As for the answer to your question, do the following:
In Firefox, use the command control shift b to open the all bookmarks window.  You will hear that you are in the library.
Open the menus with alt.  They are different menus than in the main part of the program. 
Right arrow to import and backup.
Down arrow until you get to export bookmarks as html.  Press enter and follow the wizard.  It is similar to exporting book marks in Internet Explorer. 
After you finish exporting, if you want to return to the main program, close the window with alt f4.  You opened a second window when you used control shift b.  Ask if you have problems.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: MAX
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2019 6:46 PM
To: NVDA
Subject: [nvda] Exporting bookmarks to a file?

I have been admonished to ask before complaining.  So here goes.  Is there
any way to export bookmarks to an html file in Firefox?  This is possible
in internet explorer and I have gotten in the habit of using it.  I have
the latest versions of windows 10 and Firefox.


73 (Regards).

Max.  K 4 O DS.

I've Never Lost the Wonder.

Email: max@...

Vacuum Tube  Site: http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/
Transistor site: http://www.angelfire.com/planet/funwithtransistors/
Woodworking site:
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/Woodworking/wwindex.html
Music site: http://www.maxsmusicplace.com

To subscribe to the fun with transistors group send an email to.
Funwithtransistors+subscribe@groups.io

To subscribe to the fun with tubes group send an email to,
funwithtubes+subscribe@groups.io

To subscribe to the fun with wood group send a blank email to
funwithwood+subscribe@groups.io




Re: donating

molly the blind tech lover
 

NVDA is not dying. It was just  a rumor.  

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Howard Traxler
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2019 9:19 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] donating

 

I did want to donate in 2018 as I did in 2017, but time got away.  Now, I hesitate only because of these messages about NVDA dying.  Once, I donated to the local public TV station because they said it would keep a particular program on the air.  The program is gone and so is my donation.  Hence forth, I am very careful.

Howard

 

On 2/10/2019 5:27 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:

Hi Monte,

 

Firstly thank you for your support!

 

As others have noted, and Brian gave steps for, you definitely should be able to donate without having a PayPal account, although it does use PayPal to process the payment.  You should be able to enter your credit card information as Brian said.  Do let us know if you are still having problems.

 

Kind regards

 

Quentin.

 

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 6:35 AM Monte Single <mrsingle@...> wrote:

I just tried donating.

It seems I have to set up a paypal account.  I chose masstercard,  but after entering card number etc, it was still settin up a paypal account.

Can I donate without setting up paypal?

Thanks,

Monte

 

 

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

 

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

 

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 

Re: Intent of any post being misinterpreted

molly the blind tech lover
 

I love emojis.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Shook
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2019 8:39 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Intent of any post being misinterpreted

An Emoji is a face or figure made up of dots that conveys the mood of the
email.
For example, Look below my signature and NVDA should tell you, Smiling
Smiley.
Hpe this helps.
Chris

:-)

locked Re: Exporting bookmarks to a file?

Sarah k Alawami
 

Even though I've ben quiet for about 2 years about this matter I second that motion. No further discussion is needed, 3 to 0 in favor? Yeah. I'd say to kick him out. I'm not normally this harsh, but this has ben grating on my nervs for the 2 or so years I've ben on his list.

Take care

On 11 Feb 2019, at 7:36, Lino Morales wrote:

David. You’ve said sir what I’ve and possibly others have been feeling for several months now and I thank you. With that being said With Nimar Jabar’s blessing which I doubt he’ll give I propose that Gene be removed as list moderator. I’ve been wanting to say this for a very long time and as Casey Casum used to say “and their you have it”. Time to recuse yourself Geno.

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of David Goldfield <david.goldfield@...>
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2019 9:30:28 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Exporting bookmarks to a file?
 

Gene,

To admonish means to warn or to reprimand firmly. This most recent message definitely sounds like a reprimand to me and it's not the first message you've written where you have displayed a patronizing, condescending tone. When people tell you this you insist that you are right and that they are wrong and not seeing things clearly or that, in this case, they're not defining terms based on your own dictionary definition. No doubt you will be tempted to spend the next five or ten minutes firing off a response indicating why I, in fact, am wrong and why you are totally justified in your behavior. Please don't bother because I won't read it. Mailing lists should be a safe haven for people to ask any question they might have and know that they will receive a charitable response. At times you give mailing lists like this a bad name and I'm frankly sick of it. When someone asks a question it doesn't matter what they may or may not assume. If they knew everything they wouldn't be asking questions on this list. Why not use your knowledge to just provide a charitable response rather than reprimanding and chastising them.


David Goldfield, Assistive Technology Specialist WWW.David-Goldfield.Com
On 2/10/2019 8:43 PM, Gene wrote:
I'll answer your question below.  But first, I'll make this comment:
I didn't admonish you.  You are referring to my messages in which I said that if you ask before assuming something can't be done, you may save yourself a good deal of time and trouble.  You may also find that you can use programs you didn't think you could.  Admonish means to warn, as in there will be punishment if you don't do something.  I didn't do that. 
 
As for the answer to your question, do the following:
In Firefox, use the command control shift b to open the all bookmarks window.  You will hear that you are in the library.
Open the menus with alt.  They are different menus than in the main part of the program. 
Right arrow to import and backup.
Down arrow until you get to export bookmarks as html.  Press enter and follow the wizard.  It is similar to exporting book marks in Internet Explorer. 
After you finish exporting, if you want to return to the main program, close the window with alt f4.  You opened a second window when you used control shift b.  Ask if you have problems.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: MAX
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2019 6:46 PM
To: NVDA
Subject: [nvda] Exporting bookmarks to a file?

I have been admonished to ask before complaining.  So here goes.  Is there
any way to export bookmarks to an html file in Firefox?  This is possible
in internet explorer and I have gotten in the habit of using it.  I have
the latest versions of windows 10 and Firefox.


73 (Regards).

Max.  K 4 O DS.

I've Never Lost the Wonder.

Email: max@...

Vacuum Tube  Site: http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/
Transistor site: http://www.angelfire.com/planet/funwithtransistors/
Woodworking site:
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/Woodworking/wwindex.html
Music site: http://www.maxsmusicplace.com

To subscribe to the fun with transistors group send an email to.
Funwithtransistors+subscribe@groups.io

To subscribe to the fun with tubes group send an email to,
funwithtubes+subscribe@groups.io

To subscribe to the fun with wood group send a blank email to
funwithwood+subscribe@groups.io




Re: Intent of any post being misinterpreted

Sarah k Alawami
 

I believe they are ascii symbols that are mostly equivalent to the emotes we use, except a lot more descriptive. At least that's what I read when I googled.

On 11 Feb 2019, at 1:23, marcio via Groups.Io wrote:

Hi Ian,
I would like so much to try explaining you what is an emoji, but I definitelly don't have the proper words.
An emoji is, let's say, theorically, the same as an emoticon, except by some differences.
And, to understand these differences, you can check this link, which will explain it much better than I would ever do.

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow me on Twitter

Em 11/02/2019 07:02, Ian Westerland escreveu:


Brian, I don't think I even know what an emogee is so I look forward to an explanation.  Probably when the explanation comes, I might be able to imagine how to use Emogees but, at the moment, I'm in the dark
so to speak.

Regards


Ian Westerland






On 2/11/2019 7:30 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi folks, as somebody who has been around text based messages for more years than I care to admit to, there is one basic truism which still can cause issues.
The statement of facts or giving of advice can appear very abrupt and direct when it was not meant to be.
Most of us when speaking to each other use inflection and such like to create the spirit of what is being said and how it is to be taken.
Sadly many of us cannot see body language, so even that is no good in person. However apart from what I still consider as these new fangled emogees, many do not know what they mean nor in fact use them.
Thus when you see an apparently  abrupt response or interpret something as a castigation or a reprimand, please  go away, have a drink, think about it and realise it was just the facts being expressed. Nothing
wrong with anything you said.
Even a simple comment like:
If you go back a day you will see this answered is often seen as sarcasm, when its really not meant that way. If you cannot go back or do not know how to view the archive, merely state this and somebody will help, I'm sure.
OK I'll go back to sleep now!

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.









Re: Intent of any post being misinterpreted

 

Emojis are nothing more than tiny images (drawn, not photos) that fit in line with text, taking up the equivalent of 1 to 2 (maybe 3) character places.

They originally had, as their intent, expressing emotions much as emoticons did and do.  However, the range has expanded to include so many that this can no longer be said to be the case.

Many are used as coded references to other things.  The infamous eggplant emoji being the most "commonly known" one.  Look it up.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

 

 

locked Re: Exporting bookmarks to a file?

Lino Morales
 

David. You’ve said sir what I’ve and possibly others have been feeling for several months now and I thank you. With that being said With Nimar Jabar’s blessing which I doubt he’ll give I propose that Gene be removed as list moderator. I’ve been wanting to say this for a very long time and as Casey Casum used to say “and their you have it”. Time to recuse yourself Geno.

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of David Goldfield <david.goldfield@...>
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2019 9:30:28 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Exporting bookmarks to a file?
 

Gene,

To admonish means to warn or to reprimand firmly. This most recent message definitely sounds like a reprimand to me and it's not the first message you've written where you have displayed a patronizing, condescending tone. When people tell you this you insist that you are right and that they are wrong and not seeing things clearly or that, in this case, they're not defining terms based on your own dictionary definition. No doubt you will be tempted to spend the next five or ten minutes firing off a response indicating why I, in fact, am wrong and why you are totally justified in your behavior. Please don't bother because I won't read it. Mailing lists should be a safe haven for people to ask any question they might have and know that they will receive a charitable response. At times you give mailing lists like this a bad name and I'm frankly sick of it. When someone asks a question it doesn't matter what they may or may not assume. If they knew everything they wouldn't be asking questions on this list. Why not use your knowledge to just provide a charitable response rather than reprimanding and chastising them.


David Goldfield, Assistive Technology Specialist WWW.David-Goldfield.Com
On 2/10/2019 8:43 PM, Gene wrote:
I'll answer your question below.  But first, I'll make this comment:
I didn't admonish you.  You are referring to my messages in which I said that if you ask before assuming something can't be done, you may save yourself a good deal of time and trouble.  You may also find that you can use programs you didn't think you could.  Admonish means to warn, as in there will be punishment if you don't do something.  I didn't do that. 
 
As for the answer to your question, do the following:
In Firefox, use the command control shift b to open the all bookmarks window.  You will hear that you are in the library.
Open the menus with alt.  They are different menus than in the main part of the program. 
Right arrow to import and backup.
Down arrow until you get to export bookmarks as html.  Press enter and follow the wizard.  It is similar to exporting book marks in Internet Explorer. 
After you finish exporting, if you want to return to the main program, close the window with alt f4.  You opened a second window when you used control shift b.  Ask if you have problems.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: MAX
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2019 6:46 PM
To: NVDA
Subject: [nvda] Exporting bookmarks to a file?

I have been admonished to ask before complaining.  So here goes.  Is there
any way to export bookmarks to an html file in Firefox?  This is possible
in internet explorer and I have gotten in the habit of using it.  I have
the latest versions of windows 10 and Firefox.


73 (Regards).

Max.  K 4 O DS.

I've Never Lost the Wonder.

Email: max@...

Vacuum Tube  Site: http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/
Transistor site: http://www.angelfire.com/planet/funwithtransistors/
Woodworking site:
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/Woodworking/wwindex.html
Music site: http://www.maxsmusicplace.com

To subscribe to the fun with transistors group send an email to.
Funwithtransistors+subscribe@groups.io

To subscribe to the fun with tubes group send an email to,
funwithtubes+subscribe@groups.io

To subscribe to the fun with wood group send a blank email to
funwithwood+subscribe@groups.io




Re: Intent of any post being misinterpreted

 

Actually this is an emoticon, which the article that I posted the link to right after one starts reading it states to not confuse with what's actually an emoji.
I still don't know how to explain what it is after all, so well..

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow me on Twitter

Em 11/02/2019 11:38, Chris Shook escreveu:

An Emoji is a face or figure made up of dots that conveys the mood of the email.
For example, Look below my signature and NVDA should tell you, Smiling Smiley.
Hpe this helps.
Chris

:-)





Autocorrect question.

 

In LibreOffice and OO, OpenOffice, there are certain commands you can do to make autocorrect do things it would not normally do, such as capitalize the first letter of a sentence when quoting. I'm trying to apply the below modification to the MS Office desktop program. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know, after reading the below.


In LO and OO I can type the below string into the replace box, and the program will automatically correct the word or phrase without me having to hit space or similar.

For example, if I type,

"a.*

LO and OO transforms it to,

"A

without me having to hit space or period or similar. Does anybody know how I can do this in MS Word? It makes novel editing a hellscape when I am working on draft 2. And, yes, I know where the shift key is, but I really don't want to break the flow when quoting while writing draft 1. And, unfortunately, MS Word has the far superior grammar checker built in.

Re: donating

Howard Traxler <howard@...>
 

I did want to donate in 2018 as I did in 2017, but time got away.  Now, I hesitate only because of these messages about NVDA dying.  Once, I donated to the local public TV station because they said it would keep a particular program on the air.  The program is gone and so is my donation.  Hence forth, I am very careful.

Howard

On 2/10/2019 5:27 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
Hi Monte,

Firstly thank you for your support!

As others have noted, and Brian gave steps for, you definitely should be able to donate without having a PayPal account, although it does use PayPal to process the payment.  You should be able to enter your credit card information as Brian said.  Do let us know if you are still having problems.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 6:35 AM Monte Single <mrsingle@...> wrote:

I just tried donating.

It seems I have to set up a paypal account.  I chose masstercard,  but after entering card number etc, it was still settin up a paypal account.

Can I donate without setting up paypal?

Thanks,

Monte



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 

Re: Intent of any post being misinterpreted

Chris Shook <chris0309@...>
 

An Emoji is a face or figure made up of dots that conveys the mood of the email.
For example, Look below my signature and NVDA should tell you, Smiling Smiley.
Hpe this helps.
Chris

:-)

Re: Some mouse navigation questions

Gene
 

You may know JAWS better in part or in large part because I haven't used JAWS for many years, after starting to use NVDA.  At times, JAWS may see things, I believe it still uses some methods to get information that NVDA doesn't, but for a lot of users, I doubt there is a meaningful difference.  For some users, there is. 
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
From: Steve Nutt
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2019 4:40 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Some mouse navigation questions

Hello Jean,

 

Yes, I am biased towards JAWS, let’s get that up front.

 

However, I do know NVDA, probably better than you know JAWS by the sound of it <Smile>.

 

I can honestly say that the touch cursor is more powerful from what I’ve seen so far, than object nav mode.  I will concede though that you can get out of the program window with object nav, but it’s a shame you can’t with flat review mode, as I tend to deal with visual presentation a lot, being blind, and I don’t really thing that verbal feedback of the visual layout of the screen is NVDA’s forte, even though you do have the audio representing mouse movement.

 

All the best

 

Steve

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 10 February 2019 18:28
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Some mouse navigation questions

 

I'm not saying the following to give you a hard time, as I explain below.  You have a bias towards JAWS which I'm pointing out because it may give a false impression to some list members.  please reserve such conclusions, if you can, until after you really know NVDA well.  There are ways in which JAWS is more capable, such as being able to have the user define frames to perform actions that make some programs far more easy to use and, in effect, more accessible.  If you use such capabilities, JAWS may be the screen-reader for you to use as your main screen-reader but you appear to underestimate the abilities of NVDA in other areas.

 

As far as I know, screen review is limited to the current window.  But object navigation definitely has no such limitations and you can see things with it you can't see in review mode.  It is equivalent to the Touch Cursor in JAWS but since I haven't used the touch cursor, I can't give a detailed comparison and contrast. 

 

I haven't seen any list members tell you where to get material about such things as object navigation and screen review.  I'll look and send you some information in another message, though I haven't followed such matters as carefully as some list members.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Steve Nutt

Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2019 10:50 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Some mouse navigation questions

 

Hi Jean,

 

What I find about screen review mode is that it seems to be restricted to the current window.  Is there any way of unrestricting it?

 

It also doesn’t see everything on screen, probably because of the lack of video hooks, but it certainly isn’t as good as JAWS for screen review.

 

All the best


Steve

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 09 February 2019 18:26
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Some mouse navigation questions

 

The equivalent to the JAWS cursor is screen review mode.  There is also object navigation which, according to what I've heard and read is equivalent to the touch cursor in NVDA.  To read about screen review, you can look at the user guide

 

You can look at the user guide for information about object navigation but you would probably be better off using a tutorial.  I'll let list members discuss which tutorial they like that deals with the subject. 

 

You can click the mouse once you move to something using object navigation or screen review mode.  Use the command NVDA key slash, the mouse left click key in JAWS and NVDA.  That moves the mouse to your current position in object navigation or screen review, whichever you are using.  Then press slash again, which iss left click, as I said.

 

I can tell you where to look in the user manual but if you want me to, ask and I'll do so in another message.  I'd have to look it up. 

 

Also, if you don't know them, you need to know screen review keys such as numpad 8 read current line in review, numpad 7, move to and read previous line. and the rest.

 

Also, remember to always go back to object navigation after using screen review.  Certain things won't work as they should if you don't.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Jed Barton

Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2019 11:47 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Some mouse navigation questions

 

Hey guys,
so i guess what i'm trying to figure out here, ya know in jaws we have
the PC and jaws cursor.  Does such an animal exist in NVDA?  Obviously
there are some things we can access in jaws with the PC cursor, and
some things with the jaws cursor.  Then we have the ability to route
from 1 to the other.  Can we do the same thing in NVDA?

On 2/9/19, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 11:54 AM, Steve Nutt wrote:
>
>>
>> Unfortunately, I know of no way of efficiently navigating with the mouse
>> in NVDA, using the keyboard. If there is, again, I'd love to hear it.
>
> Please expand on what you are using in JAWS.   One of the things I think is
> (or at least was) better in NVDA was how it worked in conjunction with the
> mouse.
>
> I'm trying to figure out what it is you're using that NVDA lacks, whether in
> native form or by installing any of several different add-ons.
>
> --
>
> Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763
>
> *A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for
> illusion is deep.*
>
>           ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back
>
>
>
>

a big thank you

lali
 

Dear NVDA developers!

 

                I am a german teacher, and you do not know, what you helped me today with the snapshot updates in alpha.

You made my work more sipler, and efficienter with microsoft word and outlook.

Thank you, thank you!

God bless!

Lali, on github lallerke1

 

Re: Some mouse navigation questions

Steve Nutt
 

Hello Jean,

 

Yes, I am biased towards JAWS, let’s get that up front.

 

However, I do know NVDA, probably better than you know JAWS by the sound of it <Smile>.

 

I can honestly say that the touch cursor is more powerful from what I’ve seen so far, than object nav mode.  I will concede though that you can get out of the program window with object nav, but it’s a shame you can’t with flat review mode, as I tend to deal with visual presentation a lot, being blind, and I don’t really thing that verbal feedback of the visual layout of the screen is NVDA’s forte, even though you do have the audio representing mouse movement.

 

All the best

 

Steve

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 10 February 2019 18:28
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Some mouse navigation questions

 

I'm not saying the following to give you a hard time, as I explain below.  You have a bias towards JAWS which I'm pointing out because it may give a false impression to some list members.  please reserve such conclusions, if you can, until after you really know NVDA well.  There are ways in which JAWS is more capable, such as being able to have the user define frames to perform actions that make some programs far more easy to use and, in effect, more accessible.  If you use such capabilities, JAWS may be the screen-reader for you to use as your main screen-reader but you appear to underestimate the abilities of NVDA in other areas.

 

As far as I know, screen review is limited to the current window.  But object navigation definitely has no such limitations and you can see things with it you can't see in review mode.  It is equivalent to the Touch Cursor in JAWS but since I haven't used the touch cursor, I can't give a detailed comparison and contrast. 

 

I haven't seen any list members tell you where to get material about such things as object navigation and screen review.  I'll look and send you some information in another message, though I haven't followed such matters as carefully as some list members.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Steve Nutt

Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2019 10:50 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Some mouse navigation questions

 

Hi Jean,

 

What I find about screen review mode is that it seems to be restricted to the current window.  Is there any way of unrestricting it?

 

It also doesn’t see everything on screen, probably because of the lack of video hooks, but it certainly isn’t as good as JAWS for screen review.

 

All the best


Steve

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 09 February 2019 18:26
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Some mouse navigation questions

 

The equivalent to the JAWS cursor is screen review mode.  There is also object navigation which, according to what I've heard and read is equivalent to the touch cursor in NVDA.  To read about screen review, you can look at the user guide

 

You can look at the user guide for information about object navigation but you would probably be better off using a tutorial.  I'll let list members discuss which tutorial they like that deals with the subject. 

 

You can click the mouse once you move to something using object navigation or screen review mode.  Use the command NVDA key slash, the mouse left click key in JAWS and NVDA.  That moves the mouse to your current position in object navigation or screen review, whichever you are using.  Then press slash again, which iss left click, as I said.

 

I can tell you where to look in the user manual but if you want me to, ask and I'll do so in another message.  I'd have to look it up. 

 

Also, if you don't know them, you need to know screen review keys such as numpad 8 read current line in review, numpad 7, move to and read previous line. and the rest.

 

Also, remember to always go back to object navigation after using screen review.  Certain things won't work as they should if you don't.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Jed Barton

Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2019 11:47 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Some mouse navigation questions

 

Hey guys,
so i guess what i'm trying to figure out here, ya know in jaws we have
the PC and jaws cursor.  Does such an animal exist in NVDA?  Obviously
there are some things we can access in jaws with the PC cursor, and
some things with the jaws cursor.  Then we have the ability to route
from 1 to the other.  Can we do the same thing in NVDA?

On 2/9/19, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 11:54 AM, Steve Nutt wrote:
>
>>
>> Unfortunately, I know of no way of efficiently navigating with the mouse
>> in NVDA, using the keyboard. If there is, again, I'd love to hear it.
>
> Please expand on what you are using in JAWS.   One of the things I think is
> (or at least was) better in NVDA was how it worked in conjunction with the
> mouse.
>
> I'm trying to figure out what it is you're using that NVDA lacks, whether in
> native form or by installing any of several different add-ons.
>
> --
>
> Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763
>
> *A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for
> illusion is deep.*
>
>           ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back
>
>
>
>

Re: Some mouse navigation questions

Steve Nutt
 

Hi,

 

Fine if it works for your program, but often it doesn’t “see” everything on the screen.

 

All the best


Steve

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sarah k Alawami
Sent: 10 February 2019 18:23
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Some mouse navigation questions

 

I love screen review and it does actually catch everything on the screen, at least in the program I have to use it in. I just learned about it last week, so for me this is really cooll.

On 10 Feb 2019, at 8:50, Steve Nutt wrote:

Hi Jean,

 

What I find about screen review mode is that it seems to be restricted to the current window.  Is there any way of unrestricting it?

 

It also doesn’t see everything on screen, probably because of the lack of video hooks, but it certainly isn’t as good as JAWS for screen review.

 

All the best


Steve

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 09 February 2019 18:26
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Some mouse navigation questions

 

The equivalent to the JAWS cursor is screen review mode.  There is also object navigation which, according to what I've heard and read is equivalent to the touch cursor in NVDA.  To read about screen review, you can look at the user guide

 

You can look at the user guide for information about object navigation but you would probably be better off using a tutorial.  I'll let list members discuss which tutorial they like that deals with the subject. 

 

You can click the mouse once you move to something using object navigation or screen review mode.  Use the command NVDA key slash, the mouse left click key in JAWS and NVDA.  That moves the mouse to your current position in object navigation or screen review, whichever you are using.  Then press slash again, which iss left click, as I said.

 

I can tell you where to look in the user manual but if you want me to, ask and I'll do so in another message.  I'd have to look it up. 

 

Also, if you don't know them, you need to know screen review keys such as numpad 8 read current line in review, numpad 7, move to and read previous line. and the rest.

 

Also, remember to always go back to object navigation after using screen review.  Certain things won't work as they should if you don't.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Jed Barton

Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2019 11:47 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Some mouse navigation questions

 

Hey guys,
so i guess what i'm trying to figure out here, ya know in jaws we have
the PC and jaws cursor.  Does such an animal exist in NVDA?  Obviously
there are some things we can access in jaws with the PC cursor, and
some things with the jaws cursor.  Then we have the ability to route
from 1 to the other.  Can we do the same thing in NVDA?

On 2/9/19, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 11:54 AM, Steve Nutt wrote:
>
>>
>> Unfortunately, I know of no way of efficiently navigating with the mouse
>> in NVDA, using the keyboard. If there is, again, I'd love to hear it.
>
> Please expand on what you are using in JAWS.   One of the things I think is
> (or at least was) better in NVDA was how it worked in conjunction with the
> mouse.
>
> I'm trying to figure out what it is you're using that NVDA lacks, whether in
> native form or by installing any of several different add-ons.
>
> --
>
> Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763
>
> *A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for
> illusion is deep.*
>
>           ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back
>
>
>
>

Re: NVDA, JAWS, compared to Narrator

Steve Nutt
 

Same here, Fast Start Up as you correctly called it, is a pain in the proverbial in all situations that I have seen it.

 

All the best


Steve

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: 10 February 2019 17:07
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA, JAWS, compared to Narrator

 

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 11:54 AM, Steve Nutt wrote:

it’s Fast Start, not Quick Boot.

Closer, but it's Fast Startup.  You can also turn it on or off via Control Panel, Power Options, Choose what the power button does link, Change settings that are currently unavailable link, then unchecking or checking the checkbox for Turn on fast startup (recommended).  

Of course, I don't recommend fast startup, and immediately turn it off as part of any system configuration I'm doing.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

 

 

locked Re: Exporting bookmarks to a file?

Gary Greico <pianotuner3@...>
 

Grow up boys.


On 11-Feb-19 12:16 AM, Dale Leavens wrote:
Gene,

You just can’t let it go can you?

There are two or three names which generate most of the traffic on this list which might be fine except that so often the noise does nothing to advance the topics or contribute understanding.

I understand why it can be difficult not to take things personally but sometimes it is much better to take the high road and just let it go.

I will risk flaming by further suggesting to the list at large that it is not necessary to shoot off several messages on the same subject for every subject.  Why for example do so many people care just which voice one uses.

I had home made meat pie for supper.

So what?It does not contribute to the use of or understanding of the functions of NVDA.

If Microsoft doesn’t want you to use Internet Explorer then don’t use it or continue at your own risk.  How many messages do we need.

Yes and I do know how to use the delete function but I am not sure I want to become tangled up in NVDA if this is the standard of assistance...
Good night.

Dale Leavens

On Feb 10, 2019, at 11:58 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

And for the record, here is an excerpt of my second message.  Those who read it can determine if there is anything objectionable.  Those who wish to comment or discuss the matter further may write to me at
gsasner@... or at the owner's address in every message footer.
 
Here is the brief excerpt:
I'm sorry you misinterpreted my comment.  I'm saying that you assumed you couldn't manage book marks.  Instead of assuming, if you ask here or use some sort of documentation or instructional material, you will save yourself time and trouble, perhaps a lot. 
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----

From: Gene
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2019 10:27 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Exporting bookmarks to a file?

Mature?  You attack me vitriolically on list, you don't even bother to write with your vitriol off list to the owner's address, then you say you won't read my response.  Mature?  Any sense of fairness?  I think not.  If you can be civil and read my response and reply, fine.  But it appears that you did exactly what you accuse me of doing.  Not even being willing to consider what I have to say.  You made up your mind and that's it.  If you attack me on list, I'll respond because I want to answer what you say because who knows how many others read your vicious attack.  But I won't respond for you since you won't read my responses anyway. 
Its clear that you only want to attack, not have any discussion.  If you change your mind, I'll discuss the matter with you.  I don't hold grudges and if someone attacks me and then wants to discuss it, I'll do so.  I try to address misunderstandings and complaints. 
Gene ----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2019 10:09 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Exporting bookmarks to a file?

I'm sorry, but do you remember the previous correspondence?  I didn't admonish in the first two messages.  I said that if you ask and don't assume that something can't be done, you may save yourself a lot of problems. I said this twice because the first time I did so, Max misunderstood my intent and said something about my tone and I explained what I said in my second message and the intent.  I wasn't the least bit critical.  I said it because Max made many statements about what Firefox can't do and I was making the point that people shouldn't assume that something can't be done if they can't figure out how to do it.
 
This message, the third, stated a fact.  I didn't admonish in the first or second message.  I again explained what I said and why it wasn't an admonishment.  
 
If you disagree, you may discuss your disagreement further.  if you want to suggest how I might have written it, I'll consider your example.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2019 8:30 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Exporting bookmarks to a file?

Gene,

To admonish means to warn or to reprimand firmly. This most recent message definitely sounds like a reprimand to me and it's not the first message you've written where you have displayed a patronizing, condescending tone. When people tell you this you insist that you are right and that they are wrong and not seeing things clearly or that, in this case, they're not defining terms based on your own dictionary definition. No doubt you will be tempted to spend the next five or ten minutes firing off a response indicating why I, in fact, am wrong and why you are totally justified in your behavior. Please don't bother because I won't read it. Mailing lists should be a safe haven for people to ask any question they might have and know that they will receive a charitable response. At times you give mailing lists like this a bad name and I'm frankly sick of it. When someone asks a question it doesn't matter what they may or may not assume. If they knew everything they wouldn't be asking questions on this list. Why not use your knowledge to just provide a charitable response rather than reprimanding and chastising them.


David Goldfield, Assistive Technology Specialist WWW.David-Goldfield.Com
On 2/10/2019 8:43 PM, Gene wrote:
I'll answer your question below.  But first, I'll make this comment:
I didn't admonish you.  You are referring to my messages in which I said that if you ask before assuming something can't be done, you may save yourself a good deal of time and trouble.  You may also find that you can use programs you didn't think you could.  Admonish means to warn, as in there will be punishment if you don't do something.  I didn't do that. 
 
As for the answer to your question, do the following:
In Firefox, use the command control shift b to open the all bookmarks window.  You will hear that you are in the library.
Open the menus with alt.  They are different menus than in the main part of the program. 
Right arrow to import and backup.
Down arrow until you get to export bookmarks as html.  Press enter and follow the wizard.  It is similar to exporting book marks in Internet Explorer. 
After you finish exporting, if you want to return to the main program, close the window with alt f4.  You opened a second window when you used control shift b.  Ask if you have problems.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: MAX
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2019 6:46 PM
To: NVDA
Subject: [nvda] Exporting bookmarks to a file?

I have been admonished to ask before complaining.  So here goes.  Is there
any way to export bookmarks to an html file in Firefox?  This is possible
in internet explorer and I have gotten in the habit of using it.  I have
the latest versions of windows 10 and Firefox.


73 (Regards).

Max.  K 4 O DS.

I've Never Lost the Wonder.

Email: max@...

Vacuum Tube  Site: http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/
Transistor site: http://www.angelfire.com/planet/funwithtransistors/
Woodworking site:
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/Woodworking/wwindex.html
Music site: http://www.maxsmusicplace.com

To subscribe to the fun with transistors group send an email to.
Funwithtransistors+subscribe@groups.io

To subscribe to the fun with tubes group send an email to,
funwithtubes+subscribe@groups.io

To subscribe to the fun with wood group send a blank email to
funwithwood+subscribe@groups.io




Re: Intent of any post being misinterpreted

 

Hi Ian,
I would like so much to try explaining you what is an emoji, but I definitelly don't have the proper words.
An emoji is, let's say, theorically, the same as an emoticon, except by some differences.
And, to understand these differences, you can check this link, which will explain it much better than I would ever do.

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow me on Twitter

Em 11/02/2019 07:02, Ian Westerland escreveu:



Brian, I don't think I even know what an emogee is so I look forward to an explanation.  Probably when the explanation comes, I might be able to imagine how to use Emogees but, at the moment, I'm in the dark
so to speak.

Regards


Ian Westerland






On 2/11/2019 7:30 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi folks, as somebody who has been around text based messages for more years than I care to admit to, there is one basic truism which still can cause issues.
The statement of facts or giving of advice can appear very abrupt and direct when it was not meant to be.
Most of us when speaking to each other use inflection and such like to create the spirit of what is being said and how it is to be taken.
Sadly many of us cannot see body language, so even that is no good in person. However apart from what I still consider as these new fangled emogees, many do not know what they mean nor in fact use them.
Thus when you see an apparently  abrupt response or interpret something as a castigation or a reprimand, please  go away, have a drink, think about it and realise it was just the facts being expressed. Nothing
wrong with anything you said.
Even a simple comment like:
If you go back a day you will see this answered is often seen as sarcasm, when its really not meant that way. If you cannot go back or do not know how to view the archive, merely state this and somebody will help, I'm sure.
OK I'll go back to sleep now!

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.