Date   

Re: windows 10 mail app tutorial

Janet Brandly
 

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. There’s so much more info here!
Jan
 
 

From: hurrikennyandopo ...
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2019 1:35 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] windows 10 mail app tutorial
 

Hi

 

have a look on the page from the following link at http://accessibilitycentral.net/nvda%20tutorials%20for%20other%20programs.html

You can jump down by headings until you get to the windows mail tutorial by david moore it is just under the one for edge.

 

 

Gene nz

 

On 28/02/2019 8:55 AM, anthony borg wrote:

Hi folks

I need to learn how to use fully the windows 10 mail app. Could anyone suggested me where I can get a tutorial please?

With thanks in advance

Anthony

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

--
Image NVDA
        certified expert
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net
 
Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which location (or locations) are nearest to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa).
To find out which software is installed on the APNK network please visit the following link http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/software To find out how to use NVDA on APNK computers please visit the following link http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/nvda
 

To find out which software is available on the Christchurch City Library network, and how to start the NVDA screen reader, please go to the following links. Software available  https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/faq/computers/#faq_5884  How to start the NVDA screen reader on Christchurch City Library computers  https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/faqs/what-screen-reader-software-is-available/
 
To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.


Re: Chat Solutions for NVDA users

Ralf Kefferpuetz
 

Smiles, I don’t use skype in my private life eiter, but the skype for business is a differentprogram and very accessible.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sarah k Alawami
Sent: Freitag, 1. März 2019 17:47
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Chat Solutions for NVDA users

 

Oh, gross! I stay away from skype at least for chat purposes. I use skype only for my job, but that's because I have to If I could use zoom for my job for all of my clients I would. Zoom is just so much easier to use and is not clunky.

On 1 Mar 2019, at 7:55, Ralf Kefferpuetz wrote:

Even the business solution of Skype  named Skype for business in Office 365 plus is most accessible and easy to navigate

 

Cheers,

  Ralf

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bianka Brankovic
Sent: Freitag, 1. März 2019 11:32
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Chat Solutions for NVDA users

 

Hello Sam and all,

 

the last time I tried, Google Meet looked quite good, it’s included in GSuite.

 

You might want to look into Zoom’s business solutions too.

 

I have worked with the Zoom client using Mac, Iphone and Windows and they really make an effort to make their app accessible. I just had a quick look at Zoom Cloud Meetings and it looks really good with NVDA.

 

Thanks and kind regards,

 

Bianka

 

 


Re: Brave browser

Bobby Vinton <vinton.bobby5277@...>
 

Well brave browser is very fast and the good thing about it is that you have a built in add blocker.  I am using the windows 10 latest version.  It is just like google chrome

On 3/1/2019 12:50 PM, Brice Mijares wrote:
I won't touch it until a portable version comes out.


Re: Brave browser

Brice Mijares
 

I won't touch it until a portable version comes out.


Re: Windows OCR Programs for jpg and pdf files

ADRIAN POCOCK
 

Hi


A lot has happened in 10 years, Omni page has pulled its socks up since and offers some of the best OCR of mixed format text including mixed languages, Chinese included.

Adrian Pocock

On 01/03/2019 12:23, Gene wrote:
I believe they both have demos.  Omnipage had a bug for years, perhaps more than a decade.  I don't know if it has been corrected.  When decolumnizing two or more columns of print on a page or when decolumnizing two pages scanned as though it was one page, parts of sentences would be misplaced.  Fine Reader never had this bug.  I see no reason to assume that Omnipage is generally better.  It may be roughly equivalent in terms of quality but if that bug still remains, that is a serious detraction, especially since a lot of PDF documents have more than one column that is going to be decolumnized. 
 
But if both have demos and you try them, be sure you use some PDF documents you know have at least two columns that must be decolumnized.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Kwork
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2019 5:30 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows OCR Programs for jpg and pdf files

Thank you adrian. I've heard of OmniPage, and remember it being the defacto for many before Finereader came along.

All suggestions are welcome.

Travis

On 2/28/2019 3:13 PM, ADRIAN POCOCK wrote:

Hi Kwork


One outstanding piece of software is OmniPage Ultimate.

It also has the ability to convert a document into mp3.

Depends if you want to spend a lot or not, if you are going to use it a lot then maybe or use an android phone using adobe and acrobat apps together which does work well but a bit of a learning curve.


Hope this helps a bit.

Best Adrian Pocock.

On 28/02/2019 21:52, Kwork wrote:
I'm looking for a good and NVDA accessible OCR program that will work on jpg and pdf files. I've heard that ABBYY FineReader has been recommended in the past, but wondered what would fill my needs now. I don't have a physical scanner, so that's not a consideration at this time. Thank you.

Travis





Re: Chat Solutions for NVDA users

ADRIAN POCOCK
 

Hi

If it is group conferencing messaging audio call sending files then Zoom is excellent and does not cost anything if the number of people are under 100.  It works on windows,android and iPhone including in china.  I am not sure about mac but i assume so, same goes for Linux.

Best Adrian Pocock

On 01/03/2019 08:56, Sylvie Duchateau wrote:


Hello,
I use Slack for windows, the app, that works quite well with NVDA now.
the developers implemented short cuts for screen reader users: for example typing f6 pops up the list of messages in a chat. You just have to review them with down and up arrows.
Forms mode is automatically enabled when you want to write a message.
You can set Slack to send notifications when a message is coming, when you are directly mentioned etc...
Out of topic: slack also works well with VoiceOver on an iPhone.
At last, if you encounter an accessibility problem, you can contact the support and they respond rather quickly. They are really willing to improve the accessibility of their product.
There is a list of shortcuts that you can see in typing ctrl+/
I hope this helps.
Best
Sylvie
Le 28/02/2019 à 23:04, Sarah k Alawami a écrit :

II actually use slack for mac, dunno how it works in widnows but we ave 2 ios users, a mac and windows user who all use slack. What issues are you having?

On 28 Feb 2019, at 13:24, Sam Bushman wrote:

Hi All,

 

I have a huge need to be on a slack / Microsoft teams solution in the corporate world. In fact I am the IT Manager for the company and project.

I know slack doesn’t talk well and Microsoft teams is quite a huge pain to configure and administer.

 

Does anyone have a great alternative for a slack like system that we can use well with speech and that also works well for the sighted? Needs to support all the common platforms as well.

 

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

 

Thanks,

Sam Bushman

 


Re: Golden Cursor question

Rui Fontes
 

The invisible Jaws cursor is very usefull when the fact of placing the mouse in a control performs an action...

Rui Fontes


Às 15:26 de 01/03/2019, Steve Nutt escreveu:

Jean,
Once you select JAWS cursor though, the mouse moves with the JAWS cursor, so you don’t need to route it.
In the same scenario, if you put NVDA into review mode, it moves the review cursor, but not the mouse, so for every click, you have two keystrokes instead of one.  You can make JAWS behave like NVDA by using the invisible cursor, but I don’t really see the point in that.
All the best
Steve
*From:*nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Gene
*Sent:* 01 March 2019 14:59
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] Golden Cursor question
Does JAWS allow this?  I don't see the advantage.  In JAWS, you have to turn on the JAWS cursor and turning it on or routing it requires one command.  When you route it, that both routes it and turns on the JAWS cursor in one command so I see no advantage to automatic routing.
Gene
----- Original Message -----
*From:*Steve Nutt <mailto:steve@comproom.co.uk>
*Sent:*Friday, March 01, 2019 8:40 AM
*To:*nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:*Re: [nvda] Golden Cursor question
Yes, I believe NVDA is the only screen reader that doesn’t seem to allow this.  Tethering cursors is often a good idea.
I said I  believe, because I don’t know NVDA well enough to know the definitive answer.
All the best
Steve
*From:*nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> <nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> *On Behalf Of *Sarah k Alawami
*Sent:* 28 February 2019 16:28
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] Golden Cursor question
I have it set up like that on mac. Where ever my pc curser is my mouse curser follows etc. Where ever my mouse curser is my pc curser follows. I love it and clicking is way easier when I have to. Hmm. If I could code I'd make an add on for that.
On 28 Feb 2019, at 8:11, Gene wrote:
I haven't checked.  I'm not sure whether it is a good idea.  others
may have comments.  Sometimes just moving the mouse may cause things
to occur that you may not want.  But I haven't experimented with
this enough to know if it would cause inconveniences or problems
often enough to worry about.
Gene
----- Original Message
*From:*Kenny <mailto:kwashingtonbox@gmail.com>
*Sent:*Thursday, February 28, 2019 10:06 AM
*To:*nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:*Re: [nvda] Golden Cursor question
So basically you use the Review cursor to navigate the screen. Then
when you land on a spot which you want to click, you route the mouse
pointer to that review cursor position [NVDA]+[Slash] and then hit
[Slash] to left mouse click on it?
Is there an      option that will automatically tether the mouse
pointer to the review cursor, so I only need press [Slash] to click
on an element, without having to route to it first?
On 2/18/2019 12:00 PM, Gene wrote:
In the following response, I shall give desktop layout
commands.  I don't use the laptop layout and don't know those
commands for what we are discussing.
There aren't specifically mouse movement keys such as in JAWS. Read the review section of the manual or the relevant parts. 5.5 is a relevant section.  I'm not sure if there are any
others.  You will see such commands as num[pad 9, move to next
line, numpad 8, read current line, numpad 7 move to and read
previous line.  These are review keys and don't affect the
application, they review the screen.  I'm talking about what
they do in screen review mode.  They have similar functions when
in object navigation but they apply to the object that has focus.
To move the mouse to the review position, use the command numpad
insert numpad slash.  To left click the mouse, use numpad
slash. To right click, use numpad Times, which I believe is also
the asterisk.  It's immediately to the right of numpad slash.
If you can't find how to do something in NVDA, it is not good
methodology or procedure to assume that it can't be done. Asking here may provide information about how to do it or of an
add-on that does.
Gene
----- Original Message -----
*From:*Steve Nutt <mailto:steve@comproom.co.uk>
*Sent:*Monday, February 18, 2019 4:47 AM
*To:*nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:*Re: [nvda] Golden Cursor question
Hello Jean,
So what are the mouse movement keys via the keyboard then?  I’m
sorry I can’t find them.
Thanks.
All the best
Steve
*From:*nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
<nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> *On Behalf Of
*Gene
*Sent:* 18 February 2019 08:47
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] Golden Cursor question
You can move the mouse with the keyboard now.  You can't move it
as precisely.  I don't have an opinion about whether the Golden
Cursor features should be incorporated into the source code. But your implication that the mouse can't be moved without the
Golden Cursor is not correct.
Gene
----- Original Message -----
*From:*Steve Nutt <mailto:steve@comproom.co.uk>
*Sent:*Monday, February 18, 2019 2:27 AM
*To:*nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:*Re: [nvda] Golden Cursor question
Jean,
I think the whole Golden Cursor thing should be in NVDA to be
honest.  The ability to move the mouse using the keyboard has
been in screen readers, since the invention of Windows.
Supernova has it, System Access has it, JAWS has it, Window-Eyes
was best at it, and so on.
All the best
Steve
*From:*nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
<nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> *On Behalf Of
*Gene
*Sent:* 17 February 2019 20:08
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] Golden Cursor question
The search feature should, I think, be in NVDA, not in the
Golden Cursor. This is important funcionality and is too
important to depend on a user downloading an add-on to have it
available.
Gene
----- Original Message -----
*From:*Steve Nutt <mailto:steve@comproom.co.uk>
*Sent:*Sunday, February 17, 2019 1:58 PM
*To:*nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:*[nvda] Golden Cursor question
Hi,
In my efforts to find out if Golden Cursor is as good as the
mouse with JAWS, I’d say not quite.  Let me explain.
I just downloaded it, and there seems to be no way to search for
a string of text within GC and have the mouse land on that text,
so you can just click it, without routing, saving positions, etc.
Could this possibly be added?  A Mouse Search in NVDA?  I use
Search in JAWS cursor all the time, and it moves the mouse to
where I want it.
Or am I really stupid and missing it?
Someone suggested that GC does more than the JAWS cursor, but I
don’t really see that.
All the best
Steve
--
Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW
Tel: +44(0)1438-742286
Mob: +44(0)7956-334938
Fax: +44(0)1438-759589
Email: steve@comproom.co.uk <mailto:steve@comproom.co.uk>
Web: http://www.comproom.co.uk <http://www.comproom.co.uk/>


Re: Chat Solutions for NVDA users

Sarah k Alawami
 

I never use it for chat. Only voice. I can use it for chat, but the beauty is it saves the chat in a folder I can access later, and it reads it to me anyway. If you want to see how, go to youtube.com/marrie125 and browse through the videos I have where you can hear how zoom sounds.

Take care

On 1 Mar 2019, at 8:46, Sam Bushman wrote:

Please tell us how you use zoom with youtube streams.

I use zoom for meetings all the time and yes it does talk quite well. However, chat is kind of hard.

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sarah k Alawami
Sent: Friday, March 1, 2019 9:44 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Chat Solutions for NVDA users

 

Looks like they did. I use zoom on windows almost every day on my youtube streams, in fact I use nothingn but zoom and it's working quite well over here.

On 1 Mar 2019, at 2:43, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:

Did zoom fix its accessibility issues for nvda?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bianka Brankovic" <bianka.brankovic@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2019 10:32 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Chat Solutions for NVDA users

Hello Sam and all,

the last time I tried, Google Meet looked quite good, it’s included in GSuite.

You might want to look into Zoom’s business solutions too.

I have worked with the Zoom client using Mac, Iphone and Windows and they really make an effort to make their app accessible. I just had a quick look at Zoom Cloud Meetings and it looks really good with NVDA.

Thanks and kind regards,

Bianka




Re: Chat Solutions for NVDA users

Sarah k Alawami
 

Oh, gross! I stay away from skype at least for chat purposes. I use skype only for my job, but that's because I have to If I could use zoom for my job for all of my clients I would. Zoom is just so much easier to use and is not clunky.

On 1 Mar 2019, at 7:55, Ralf Kefferpuetz wrote:

Even the business solution of Skype  named Skype for business in Office 365 plus is most accessible and easy to navigate

 

Cheers,

  Ralf

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bianka Brankovic
Sent: Freitag, 1. März 2019 11:32
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Chat Solutions for NVDA users

 

Hello Sam and all,

 

the last time I tried, Google Meet looked quite good, it’s included in GSuite.

 

You might want to look into Zoom’s business solutions too.

 

I have worked with the Zoom client using Mac, Iphone and Windows and they really make an effort to make their app accessible. I just had a quick look at Zoom Cloud Meetings and it looks really good with NVDA.

 

Thanks and kind regards,

 

Bianka

 

 


Re: Chat Solutions for NVDA users

Sam Bushman
 

Please tell us how you use zoom with youtube streams.

I use zoom for meetings all the time and yes it does talk quite well. However, chat is kind of hard.

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sarah k Alawami
Sent: Friday, March 1, 2019 9:44 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Chat Solutions for NVDA users

 

Looks like they did. I use zoom on windows almost every day on my youtube streams, in fact I use nothingn but zoom and it's working quite well over here.

On 1 Mar 2019, at 2:43, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:

Did zoom fix its accessibility issues for nvda?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bianka Brankovic" <bianka.brankovic@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2019 10:32 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Chat Solutions for NVDA users

Hello Sam and all,

the last time I tried, Google Meet looked quite good, it’s included in GSuite.

You might want to look into Zoom’s business solutions too.

I have worked with the Zoom client using Mac, Iphone and Windows and they really make an effort to make their app accessible. I just had a quick look at Zoom Cloud Meetings and it looks really good with NVDA.

Thanks and kind regards,

Bianka




Re: Chat Solutions for NVDA users

Sarah k Alawami
 

Looks like they did. I use zoom on windows almost every day on my youtube streams, in fact I use nothingn but zoom and it's working quite well over here.

On 1 Mar 2019, at 2:43, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:

Did zoom fix its accessibility issues for nvda?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bianka Brankovic" <bianka.brankovic@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2019 10:32 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Chat Solutions for NVDA users

Hello Sam and all,

the last time I tried, Google Meet looked quite good, it’s included in GSuite.

You might want to look into Zoom’s business solutions too.

I have worked with the Zoom client using Mac, Iphone and Windows and they really make an effort to make their app accessible. I just had a quick look at Zoom Cloud Meetings and it looks really good with NVDA.

Thanks and kind regards,

Bianka





Re: how to know when a thread is locked

Sarah k Alawami
 

As mod of my lists I don't an-ounce when a topic will be locked, but all 500 members or so of my lists know me by now and when they see a thread is locked they know to stop posting on said topic(s) I stay in the background mostly but that's ' the way I run things. In fact no one really knows Im mod until I step forward which is so rare it's not even funny.

On 28 Feb 2019, at 16:32, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 07:15 PM, ADRIAN POCOCK wrote:
Do you see the irony ....
No, but I've seen the problem on every e-mailing list I've ever been on.   Luckily, topic locking is very seldom necessary.

I'm actually kind of glad things have worked out as they did.   This will happen on rare occasion not only on this group, but any e-mailing group (whether groups.io or not) if a topic is locked.

Any moderator or owner should show the basic courtesy to announce a topic is being locked when that occurs so it can be known and that message should show up as the most recent one in an e-mail thread/conversation.

I really doubt I'll end up locking a topic again for quite a while, but I would always state it has occurred in a message immediately before it were to be locked.

The "locked bounce" is an insoluble side-effect in an e-mail list where topics can be locked and where someone attempts to respond after that has occurred.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

 

 


Re: Brave browser

Gene
 

All this is a perfect illustration of why I say people should have System Restore on.  All the work you did, including checking the registry, which you haven't done yet, could have been avoided by uninstalling the program, then running a System Restore point from before the installation.  Microsoft even says that a bad uninstallation is one use for System Restore. 
 
There is a minor risk when you run programs that move files around like system restore but its small and people use system restore and usually don't have unexpected problems if they use it correctly. 
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2019 9:28 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Brave browser

Even after removing it, it left a program in the startup that was to update it.  I don't know why it didn't remove the update program after the uninstall.  I had to go into the directory where it had been installed, and remove the update program manually after killing it from task manager.  A reboot, and it went away, and hasn't come back, but I'm fairly sure there's still some mention of it in my registry, though I've not checked just yet, but I think that's something I'll have to do just to make sure it's truly gone.  I don't like programs that insert themselves into my boot sequence.  Wait until I run the silly thing, then ask me if I want to update it or not.  I don't believe I'll be using vivaldi anytime in the future, even if they do manage to make it completely accessible, just because of that little stunt.


On 2/28/2019 9:13 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:

That is a problem what happened when you tried to uninstall that brouser out of interest.

That what eventually drove me away from a lot of bundled things, they always managed to screw somet6hing up after uninstall.

I once had a network wide security package which was really good till it did something I didn't want it to do and decided to change it.

On removing it completely, it blocked and dammaged so much of windows I had to reformat all my pcs to say the least I was happy I never payed money for it.



On 1/03/2019 11:57 AM, Travis Siegel wrote:

When I tried it several months ago, it worked, though it didn't work well enough to make it a primary browser.  I did have one heck of a time getting it uninstalled though. 

This brave browser is based on chromium, which means it's opensource, so if you're concerned about security, go look at the source code, and set your mind to rest.

On 2/28/2019 4:28 PM, Andy wrote:

Vivaldi!  What a neat name for a browser!
 
Andy
 
----- Original Message -----
From: JM Casey
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2019 12:30 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Brave browser

Indeed, there are many other Chromium browsers out there.

Which reminds me, has anybody else taken Vivaldi for a spin?

I love how customisable it is but so far my screen-reader experience is a bit cluttered, and not all controls behave as I think they should.

It should be tweakable though.

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shaun Everiss
Sent: February 27, 2019 10:46 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Brave browser

 

Well its the latest chromium alternertive.

FFull add blocking and extra security.

review here.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3292619/web-browsers/the-brave-browser-basics-what-it-does-how-it-differs-from-rivals.html

I do caution users, in the article link I pasted above the eventual plan for brave is to replace all adds from other's websites and tracks with its own adds and trackers or at least thats what I read.

Some antimalware and security tools detect brave as malware though they say its false.

Reviews seem generally good now, but I am not sure.

If this brouser is replacing adds with its own, there is no garantee that eventually you trade a malware free environment with using another echosystem, with its own adds, trackers, and malware thrown in.

This is a really new project, its not the first chromium sourced brouser and it will not be the last.

One other thing to note, its not a main stay brouser like chrome, firefox, ie and edge, so interface wize while it may be good, a supported brouser that is supported is better than one which may have issues.

Now saying that with nvda that probably doesn't matter as such because of the fact nvda itself is basically a scripted program built using modern techniques and using commen os access commands and apis.

But Its probable that if you run something like dolphin stuff you won't get access and its unlikely that it would be supported by jaws or anything like that.

The thing I don't care for is trading all the malware I have to deal with now with eventually another person's adds.

If I am ready to do this, I may as well uninstall my antimalware software and turn off my firewall.

Users do have glowing reviews right now but its new.

 

Now if you want to try it you probably won't have any issues doing so however who knows.

Ports come and go.

It may have some big names developing it but look at piriform.

CCleaner is a good program, it used to be really good till piriform went with avast.

Now ccleaner is its own malware, and sadly it does do malwareish things, trying to have quickclean run, and a entire load of other things I have to modify my ini file every day or so.

Its interface or at least the main interface panel is total crap access wize.

And it comes with avast which is total crap access wize to.

I used to use programs with dvdvideosoftware they used to have google spyware in them and I don't care about google because I use that but later it had conduit then opencandy, then a lot of other junk and I had to get rid of it and reformat my system to get rid of all the extra junkware.

Sadly it seems to be the rage, any software that is bundled with any software is pritty much malware because most of the time the user has not requested that software so its malware.

THats another issue with brave, it does not block google adds or google trackers, so we know who is funding brave now.

Now if brave got cash from doubleclick, yahoo adds and all the other add makers to have their adds unblocked then we have a problem.

I know that with waterfox I have full control, and I have blocked google and all sort of extras.

 

 

On 28/02/2019 11:12 AM, Gene wrote:

If people do a Google or other search engine search for something like Brave browser review, they may find knowledgeable assessments of the browser. 

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Dan Beaver

Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2019 4:09 PM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Brave browser

 

How do we know this is a safe browser?

 

 

-- 
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)

Virus-free. www.avast.com


Re: Golden Cursor question

Gene
 

Yes, once you are in the JAWS cursor, you move it and then click it.  Why NVDA doesn't work that way in screen review mode is something that may be explained by someone who knows about NVDA technically.  Its only one extra command so I don't consider it important but its an interesting question.  I suspect there is something technically about the way screen review works that caused this not to be done.
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Steve Nutt
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2019 9:26 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Golden Cursor question

Jean,

 

Once you select JAWS cursor though, the mouse moves with the JAWS cursor, so you don’t need to route it.

 

In the same scenario, if you put NVDA into review mode, it moves the review cursor, but not the mouse, so for every click, you have two keystrokes instead of one.  You can make JAWS behave like NVDA by using the invisible cursor, but I don’t really see the point in that.

 

All the best

 

Steve

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 01 March 2019 14:59
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Golden Cursor question

 

Does JAWS allow this?  I don't see the advantage.  In JAWS, you have to turn on the JAWS cursor and turning it on or routing it requires one command.  When you route it, that both routes it and turns on the JAWS cursor in one command so I see no advantage to automatic routing.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Steve Nutt

Sent: Friday, March 01, 2019 8:40 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Golden Cursor question

 

Yes, I believe NVDA is the only screen reader that doesn’t seem to allow this.  Tethering cursors is often a good idea.

 

I said I  believe, because I don’t know NVDA well enough to know the definitive answer.

 

All the best


Steve

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sarah k Alawami
Sent: 28 February 2019 16:28
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Golden Cursor question

 

I have it set up like that on mac. Where ever my pc curser is my mouse curser follows etc. Where ever my mouse curser is my pc curser follows. I love it and clicking is way easier when I have to. Hmm. If I could code I'd make an add on for that.

On 28 Feb 2019, at 8:11, Gene wrote:

I haven't checked.  I'm not sure whether it is a good idea.  others may have comments.  Sometimes just moving the mouse may cause things to occur that you may not want.  But I haven't experimented with this enough to know if it would cause inconveniences or problems often enough to worry about. 

 

Gene

----- Original Message

From: Kenny

Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2019 10:06 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Golden Cursor question

 

So basically you use the Review cursor to navigate the screen. Then when you land on a spot which you want to click, you route the mouse pointer to that review cursor position [NVDA]+[Slash] and then hit [Slash] to left mouse click on it?

 

Is there an      option that will automatically tether the mouse pointer to the review cursor, so I only need press [Slash] to click on an element, without having to route to it first?

 

On 2/18/2019 12:00 PM, Gene wrote:

In the following response, I shall give desktop layout commands.  I don't use the laptop layout and don't know those commands for what we are discussing.

 

There aren't specifically mouse movement keys such as in JAWS.  Read the review section of the manual or the relevant parts.  5.5 is a relevant section.  I'm not sure if there are any others.  You will see such commands as num[pad 9, move to next line, numpad 8, read current line, numpad 7 move to and read previous line.  These are review keys and don't affect the application, they review the screen.  I'm talking about what they do in screen review mode.  They have similar functions when in object navigation but they apply to the object that has focus.

 

To move the mouse to the review position, use the command numpad insert numpad slash.  To left click the mouse, use numpad slash. To right click, use numpad Times, which I believe is also the asterisk.  It's immediately to the right of numpad slash.  

 

If you can't find how to do something in NVDA, it is not good methodology or procedure to assume that it can't be done.  Asking here may provide information about how to do it or of an add-on that does.

 

Gene  

----- Original Message -----

From: Steve Nutt

Sent: Monday, February 18, 2019 4:47 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Golden Cursor question

 

Hello Jean,

 

So what are the mouse movement keys via the keyboard then?  I’m sorry I can’t find them.

 

Thanks.

 

All the best

 

Steve

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 18 February 2019 08:47
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Golden Cursor question

 

You can move the mouse with the keyboard now.  You can't move it as precisely.  I don't have an opinion about whether the Golden Cursor features should be incorporated into the source code.  But your implication that the mouse can't be moved without the Golden Cursor is not correct.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Steve Nutt

Sent: Monday, February 18, 2019 2:27 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Golden Cursor question

 

Jean,

 

I think the whole Golden Cursor thing should be in NVDA to be honest.  The ability to move the mouse using the keyboard has been in screen readers, since the invention of Windows.

 

Supernova has it, System Access has it, JAWS has it, Window-Eyes was best at it, and so on.

 

All the best

 

Steve

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 17 February 2019 20:08
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Golden Cursor question

 

The search feature should, I think, be in NVDA, not in the Golden Cursor. This is important funcionality and is too important to depend on a user downloading an add-on to have it available.

 

Gene 

----- Original Message -----

From: Steve Nutt

Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2019 1:58 PM

Subject: [nvda] Golden Cursor question

 

Hi,

 

In my efforts to find out if Golden Cursor is as good as the mouse with JAWS, I’d say not quite.  Let me explain.

 

I just downloaded it, and there seems to be no way to search for a string of text within GC and have the mouse land on that text, so you can just click it, without routing, saving positions, etc.

 

Could this possibly be added?  A Mouse Search in NVDA?  I use Search in JAWS cursor all the time, and it moves the mouse to where I want it.

 

Or am I really stupid and missing it?

 

Someone suggested that GC does more than the JAWS cursor, but I don’t really see that.

 

All the best

 

Steve

 

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Tel: +44(0)1438-742286

Mob: +44(0)7956-334938

Fax: +44(0)1438-759589

Email: steve@...

Web: http://www.comproom.co.uk

 


Re: Chat Solutions for NVDA users

Ralf Kefferpuetz
 

Even the business solution of Skype  named Skype for business in Office 365 plus is most accessible and easy to navigate

 

Cheers,

  Ralf

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bianka Brankovic
Sent: Freitag, 1. März 2019 11:32
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Chat Solutions for NVDA users

 

Hello Sam and all,

 

the last time I tried, Google Meet looked quite good, it’s included in GSuite.

 

You might want to look into Zoom’s business solutions too.

 

I have worked with the Zoom client using Mac, Iphone and Windows and they really make an effort to make their app accessible. I just had a quick look at Zoom Cloud Meetings and it looks really good with NVDA.

 

Thanks and kind regards,

 

Bianka

 

 


Re: Chat Solutions for NVDA users

Ralf Kefferpuetz
 

I use it often at work and it is fully accessible for me. You got all events announced and you can jump through the different parts of the interface with shortcuts. It even lets you positioning the cursor on the running presentation and NVDA-r (OCR) reads it to you, amazing stuff.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: Freitag, 1. März 2019 11:43
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Chat Solutions for NVDA users

Did zoom fix its accessibility issues for nvda?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bianka Brankovic" <bianka.brankovic@ionos.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2019 10:32 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Chat Solutions for NVDA users


Hello Sam and all,

the last time I tried, Google Meet looked quite good, it’s included in
GSuite.

You might want to look into Zoom’s business solutions too.

I have worked with the Zoom client using Mac, Iphone and Windows and they
really make an effort to make their app accessible. I just had a quick
look at Zoom Cloud Meetings and it looks really good with NVDA.

Thanks and kind regards,

Bianka





Re: Brave browser

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>
 

Even after removing it, it left a program in the startup that was to update it.  I don't know why it didn't remove the update program after the uninstall.  I had to go into the directory where it had been installed, and remove the update program manually after killing it from task manager.  A reboot, and it went away, and hasn't come back, but I'm fairly sure there's still some mention of it in my registry, though I've not checked just yet, but I think that's something I'll have to do just to make sure it's truly gone.  I don't like programs that insert themselves into my boot sequence.  Wait until I run the silly thing, then ask me if I want to update it or not.  I don't believe I'll be using vivaldi anytime in the future, even if they do manage to make it completely accessible, just because of that little stunt.


On 2/28/2019 9:13 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:

That is a problem what happened when you tried to uninstall that brouser out of interest.

That what eventually drove me away from a lot of bundled things, they always managed to screw somet6hing up after uninstall.

I once had a network wide security package which was really good till it did something I didn't want it to do and decided to change it.

On removing it completely, it blocked and dammaged so much of windows I had to reformat all my pcs to say the least I was happy I never payed money for it.



On 1/03/2019 11:57 AM, Travis Siegel wrote:

When I tried it several months ago, it worked, though it didn't work well enough to make it a primary browser.  I did have one heck of a time getting it uninstalled though. 

This brave browser is based on chromium, which means it's opensource, so if you're concerned about security, go look at the source code, and set your mind to rest.

On 2/28/2019 4:28 PM, Andy wrote:

Vivaldi!  What a neat name for a browser!
 
Andy
 
----- Original Message -----
From: JM Casey
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2019 12:30 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Brave browser

Indeed, there are many other Chromium browsers out there.

Which reminds me, has anybody else taken Vivaldi for a spin?

I love how customisable it is but so far my screen-reader experience is a bit cluttered, and not all controls behave as I think they should.

It should be tweakable though.

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shaun Everiss
Sent: February 27, 2019 10:46 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Brave browser

 

Well its the latest chromium alternertive.

FFull add blocking and extra security.

review here.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3292619/web-browsers/the-brave-browser-basics-what-it-does-how-it-differs-from-rivals.html

I do caution users, in the article link I pasted above the eventual plan for brave is to replace all adds from other's websites and tracks with its own adds and trackers or at least thats what I read.

Some antimalware and security tools detect brave as malware though they say its false.

Reviews seem generally good now, but I am not sure.

If this brouser is replacing adds with its own, there is no garantee that eventually you trade a malware free environment with using another echosystem, with its own adds, trackers, and malware thrown in.

This is a really new project, its not the first chromium sourced brouser and it will not be the last.

One other thing to note, its not a main stay brouser like chrome, firefox, ie and edge, so interface wize while it may be good, a supported brouser that is supported is better than one which may have issues.

Now saying that with nvda that probably doesn't matter as such because of the fact nvda itself is basically a scripted program built using modern techniques and using commen os access commands and apis.

But Its probable that if you run something like dolphin stuff you won't get access and its unlikely that it would be supported by jaws or anything like that.

The thing I don't care for is trading all the malware I have to deal with now with eventually another person's adds.

If I am ready to do this, I may as well uninstall my antimalware software and turn off my firewall.

Users do have glowing reviews right now but its new.

 

Now if you want to try it you probably won't have any issues doing so however who knows.

Ports come and go.

It may have some big names developing it but look at piriform.

CCleaner is a good program, it used to be really good till piriform went with avast.

Now ccleaner is its own malware, and sadly it does do malwareish things, trying to have quickclean run, and a entire load of other things I have to modify my ini file every day or so.

Its interface or at least the main interface panel is total crap access wize.

And it comes with avast which is total crap access wize to.

I used to use programs with dvdvideosoftware they used to have google spyware in them and I don't care about google because I use that but later it had conduit then opencandy, then a lot of other junk and I had to get rid of it and reformat my system to get rid of all the extra junkware.

Sadly it seems to be the rage, any software that is bundled with any software is pritty much malware because most of the time the user has not requested that software so its malware.

THats another issue with brave, it does not block google adds or google trackers, so we know who is funding brave now.

Now if brave got cash from doubleclick, yahoo adds and all the other add makers to have their adds unblocked then we have a problem.

I know that with waterfox I have full control, and I have blocked google and all sort of extras.

 

 

On 28/02/2019 11:12 AM, Gene wrote:

If people do a Google or other search engine search for something like Brave browser review, they may find knowledgeable assessments of the browser. 

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Dan Beaver

Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2019 4:09 PM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Brave browser

 

How do we know this is a safe browser?

 

 

-- 
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)

Virus-free. www.avast.com


Re: Golden Cursor question

Steve Nutt
 

Jean,

 

Once you select JAWS cursor though, the mouse moves with the JAWS cursor, so you don’t need to route it.

 

In the same scenario, if you put NVDA into review mode, it moves the review cursor, but not the mouse, so for every click, you have two keystrokes instead of one.  You can make JAWS behave like NVDA by using the invisible cursor, but I don’t really see the point in that.

 

All the best

 

Steve

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 01 March 2019 14:59
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Golden Cursor question

 

Does JAWS allow this?  I don't see the advantage.  In JAWS, you have to turn on the JAWS cursor and turning it on or routing it requires one command.  When you route it, that both routes it and turns on the JAWS cursor in one command so I see no advantage to automatic routing.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Steve Nutt

Sent: Friday, March 01, 2019 8:40 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Golden Cursor question

 

Yes, I believe NVDA is the only screen reader that doesn’t seem to allow this.  Tethering cursors is often a good idea.

 

I said I  believe, because I don’t know NVDA well enough to know the definitive answer.

 

All the best


Steve

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sarah k Alawami
Sent: 28 February 2019 16:28
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Golden Cursor question

 

I have it set up like that on mac. Where ever my pc curser is my mouse curser follows etc. Where ever my mouse curser is my pc curser follows. I love it and clicking is way easier when I have to. Hmm. If I could code I'd make an add on for that.

On 28 Feb 2019, at 8:11, Gene wrote:

I haven't checked.  I'm not sure whether it is a good idea.  others may have comments.  Sometimes just moving the mouse may cause things to occur that you may not want.  But I haven't experimented with this enough to know if it would cause inconveniences or problems often enough to worry about. 

 

Gene

----- Original Message

From: Kenny

Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2019 10:06 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Golden Cursor question

 

So basically you use the Review cursor to navigate the screen. Then when you land on a spot which you want to click, you route the mouse pointer to that review cursor position [NVDA]+[Slash] and then hit [Slash] to left mouse click on it?

 

Is there an      option that will automatically tether the mouse pointer to the review cursor, so I only need press [Slash] to click on an element, without having to route to it first?

 

On 2/18/2019 12:00 PM, Gene wrote:

In the following response, I shall give desktop layout commands.  I don't use the laptop layout and don't know those commands for what we are discussing.

 

There aren't specifically mouse movement keys such as in JAWS.  Read the review section of the manual or the relevant parts.  5.5 is a relevant section.  I'm not sure if there are any others.  You will see such commands as num[pad 9, move to next line, numpad 8, read current line, numpad 7 move to and read previous line.  These are review keys and don't affect the application, they review the screen.  I'm talking about what they do in screen review mode.  They have similar functions when in object navigation but they apply to the object that has focus.

 

To move the mouse to the review position, use the command numpad insert numpad slash.  To left click the mouse, use numpad slash. To right click, use numpad Times, which I believe is also the asterisk.  It's immediately to the right of numpad slash.  

 

If you can't find how to do something in NVDA, it is not good methodology or procedure to assume that it can't be done.  Asking here may provide information about how to do it or of an add-on that does.

 

Gene  

----- Original Message -----

From: Steve Nutt

Sent: Monday, February 18, 2019 4:47 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Golden Cursor question

 

Hello Jean,

 

So what are the mouse movement keys via the keyboard then?  I’m sorry I can’t find them.

 

Thanks.

 

All the best

 

Steve

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 18 February 2019 08:47
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Golden Cursor question

 

You can move the mouse with the keyboard now.  You can't move it as precisely.  I don't have an opinion about whether the Golden Cursor features should be incorporated into the source code.  But your implication that the mouse can't be moved without the Golden Cursor is not correct.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Steve Nutt

Sent: Monday, February 18, 2019 2:27 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Golden Cursor question

 

Jean,

 

I think the whole Golden Cursor thing should be in NVDA to be honest.  The ability to move the mouse using the keyboard has been in screen readers, since the invention of Windows.

 

Supernova has it, System Access has it, JAWS has it, Window-Eyes was best at it, and so on.

 

All the best

 

Steve

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 17 February 2019 20:08
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Golden Cursor question

 

The search feature should, I think, be in NVDA, not in the Golden Cursor. This is important funcionality and is too important to depend on a user downloading an add-on to have it available.

 

Gene 

----- Original Message -----

From: Steve Nutt

Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2019 1:58 PM

Subject: [nvda] Golden Cursor question

 

Hi,

 

In my efforts to find out if Golden Cursor is as good as the mouse with JAWS, I’d say not quite.  Let me explain.

 

I just downloaded it, and there seems to be no way to search for a string of text within GC and have the mouse land on that text, so you can just click it, without routing, saving positions, etc.

 

Could this possibly be added?  A Mouse Search in NVDA?  I use Search in JAWS cursor all the time, and it moves the mouse to where I want it.

 

Or am I really stupid and missing it?

 

Someone suggested that GC does more than the JAWS cursor, but I don’t really see that.

 

All the best

 

Steve

 

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Tel: +44(0)1438-742286

Mob: +44(0)7956-334938

Fax: +44(0)1438-759589

Email: steve@...

Web: http://www.comproom.co.uk

 


Re: Golden Cursor question

Gene
 

Does JAWS allow this?  I don't see the advantage.  In JAWS, you have to turn on the JAWS cursor and turning it on or routing it requires one command.  When you route it, that both routes it and turns on the JAWS cursor in one command so I see no advantage to automatic routing.
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
From: Steve Nutt
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2019 8:40 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Golden Cursor question

Yes, I believe NVDA is the only screen reader that doesn’t seem to allow this.  Tethering cursors is often a good idea.

 

I said I  believe, because I don’t know NVDA well enough to know the definitive answer.

 

All the best


Steve

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sarah k Alawami
Sent: 28 February 2019 16:28
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Golden Cursor question

 

I have it set up like that on mac. Where ever my pc curser is my mouse curser follows etc. Where ever my mouse curser is my pc curser follows. I love it and clicking is way easier when I have to. Hmm. If I could code I'd make an add on for that.

On 28 Feb 2019, at 8:11, Gene wrote:

I haven't checked.  I'm not sure whether it is a good idea.  others may have comments.  Sometimes just moving the mouse may cause things to occur that you may not want.  But I haven't experimented with this enough to know if it would cause inconveniences or problems often enough to worry about. 

 

Gene

----- Original Message

From: Kenny

Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2019 10:06 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Golden Cursor question

 

So basically you use the Review cursor to navigate the screen. Then when you land on a spot which you want to click, you route the mouse pointer to that review cursor position [NVDA]+[Slash] and then hit [Slash] to left mouse click on it?

 

Is there an      option that will automatically tether the mouse pointer to the review cursor, so I only need press [Slash] to click on an element, without having to route to it first?

 

On 2/18/2019 12:00 PM, Gene wrote:

In the following response, I shall give desktop layout commands.  I don't use the laptop layout and don't know those commands for what we are discussing.

 

There aren't specifically mouse movement keys such as in JAWS.  Read the review section of the manual or the relevant parts.  5.5 is a relevant section.  I'm not sure if there are any others.  You will see such commands as num[pad 9, move to next line, numpad 8, read current line, numpad 7 move to and read previous line.  These are review keys and don't affect the application, they review the screen.  I'm talking about what they do in screen review mode.  They have similar functions when in object navigation but they apply to the object that has focus.

 

To move the mouse to the review position, use the command numpad insert numpad slash.  To left click the mouse, use numpad slash. To right click, use numpad Times, which I believe is also the asterisk.  It's immediately to the right of numpad slash.  

 

If you can't find how to do something in NVDA, it is not good methodology or procedure to assume that it can't be done.  Asking here may provide information about how to do it or of an add-on that does.

 

Gene  

----- Original Message -----

From: Steve Nutt

Sent: Monday, February 18, 2019 4:47 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Golden Cursor question

 

Hello Jean,

 

So what are the mouse movement keys via the keyboard then?  I’m sorry I can’t find them.

 

Thanks.

 

All the best

 

Steve

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 18 February 2019 08:47
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Golden Cursor question

 

You can move the mouse with the keyboard now.  You can't move it as precisely.  I don't have an opinion about whether the Golden Cursor features should be incorporated into the source code.  But your implication that the mouse can't be moved without the Golden Cursor is not correct.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Steve Nutt

Sent: Monday, February 18, 2019 2:27 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Golden Cursor question

 

Jean,

 

I think the whole Golden Cursor thing should be in NVDA to be honest.  The ability to move the mouse using the keyboard has been in screen readers, since the invention of Windows.

 

Supernova has it, System Access has it, JAWS has it, Window-Eyes was best at it, and so on.

 

All the best

 

Steve

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 17 February 2019 20:08
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Golden Cursor question

 

The search feature should, I think, be in NVDA, not in the Golden Cursor. This is important funcionality and is too important to depend on a user downloading an add-on to have it available.

 

Gene 

----- Original Message -----

From: Steve Nutt

Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2019 1:58 PM

Subject: [nvda] Golden Cursor question

 

Hi,

 

In my efforts to find out if Golden Cursor is as good as the mouse with JAWS, I’d say not quite.  Let me explain.

 

I just downloaded it, and there seems to be no way to search for a string of text within GC and have the mouse land on that text, so you can just click it, without routing, saving positions, etc.

 

Could this possibly be added?  A Mouse Search in NVDA?  I use Search in JAWS cursor all the time, and it moves the mouse to where I want it.

 

Or am I really stupid and missing it?

 

Someone suggested that GC does more than the JAWS cursor, but I don’t really see that.

 

All the best

 

Steve

 

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Tel: +44(0)1438-742286

Mob: +44(0)7956-334938

Fax: +44(0)1438-759589

Email: steve@...

Web: http://www.comproom.co.uk

 


Re: Windows OCR Programs for jpg and pdf files

Kwork
 

Yes, tremendously. Thank you.

On 3/1/2019 5:24 AM, Hendrik Steyn wrote:

I use ABBYY and it works well with NVDA. I use V14.0. Hope this helps.

Hendrik

On 01/03/2019 14:23, Gene wrote:
I believe they both have demos.  Omnipage had a bug for years, perhaps more than a decade.  I don't know if it has been corrected.  When decolumnizing two or more columns of print on a page or when decolumnizing two pages scanned as though it was one page, parts of sentences would be misplaced.  Fine Reader never had this bug.  I see no reason to assume that Omnipage is generally better.  It may be roughly equivalent in terms of quality but if that bug still remains, that is a serious detraction, especially since a lot of PDF documents have more than one column that is going to be decolumnized. 
 
But if both have demos and you try them, be sure you use some PDF documents you know have at least two columns that must be decolumnized.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Kwork
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2019 5:30 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows OCR Programs for jpg and pdf files

Thank you adrian. I've heard of OmniPage, and remember it being the defacto for many before Finereader came along.

All suggestions are welcome.

Travis

On 2/28/2019 3:13 PM, ADRIAN POCOCK wrote:

Hi Kwork


One outstanding piece of software is OmniPage Ultimate.

It also has the ability to convert a document into mp3.

Depends if you want to spend a lot or not, if you are going to use it a lot then maybe or use an android phone using adobe and acrobat apps together which does work well but a bit of a learning curve.


Hope this helps a bit.

Best Adrian Pocock.

On 28/02/2019 21:52, Kwork wrote:
I'm looking for a good and NVDA accessible OCR program that will work on jpg and pdf files. I've heard that ABBYY FineReader has been recommended in the past, but wondered what would fill my needs now. I don't have a physical scanner, so that's not a consideration at this time. Thank you.

Travis