Date   

Re: Accessible Lightweight PDF Viewers

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

I have encountered some recent pdf files that seem to have save as text either disabled or what you get afterwards is a bit like throwing a lot of words in the air and expecting them to make sentences afterwards. I imagine this is the untagged document problem again. Many of the documents my local council issues are like this and often also contain graphics and maps so trying to use the webbie tool also ends in tears.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene" <gsasner@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2019 8:30 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Accessible Lightweight PDF Viewers


Is there any reason not to load the document one time then save it as a text file? That's what I usually do with PDF files so as not to waste time converting the document more than once.

Gene
----- Original Message -----

From: Bhavya shah
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2019 2:27 PM
To: nvda
Subject: [nvda] Accessible Lightweight PDF Viewers


Dear all,

I currently have a 144 mb file that is one of my Physics textbooks.
From the file size, it is easy to infer the massiveness of this
document. Hence, opening it in Adobe Acrobat DC is not always
practical as it takes an infeasible amount of time to load all pages.
Hence, I am in need of some alternate accessible PDF viewing solution
which is relatively lightweight and is likely to be substantially
quicker in loading a large PDF for viewership.

Alternatively, another approach towards addressing my needs that I can
think of is to split this huge PDF into a bunch of different PDFs
which individually are smaller files and thus likely to be faster to
open. In case you are aware of some tool to split a large PDF file
into a few smaller ones, I would appreciate if you could share those
as well.

I am open to using both of the above approaches simultaneously for
maximally mitigating the current problem as well, if need be.

Thanks.

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Blogger at Hiking Across Horizons: https://bhavyashah125.wordpress.com/

Contacting Me
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@gmail.com
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/bhavyashah125/
Twitter: @BhavyaShah125
Skype: bhavya.09


Attention: Dropbox odd window reporters

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

I have actually not seen any of the rogue windows since I got a sighted person to fiddle with the preferences, but Dropbox, a chap named Geoff wants anyone ellse with this issue to send him actual screenshots of the screen to see if there is in fact anything graphical on it.
I can not do this since its now fixed. if you can upload them to a dropbox link and post the link to my private email I shall pass this on for you. Of course you may have had the guy talk to you directly already, so if you have had this and its resolved your problems, let the rest of us know on this list for future ref.
Thanks.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.


Re: weather plus addon

Lino Morales
 

Well you’ll have to get up with Adriano for that to come back. A great alternative is to use the Weather app with Narrator. It works just fine for looking up the current temp.

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of David Moore <jesusloves1966@...>
Sent: Thursday, March 7, 2019 4:40:57 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] weather plus addon
 

Hi!

Yes, a plug from me as well for the weather plus add-on!

I used it many times a day LOL!

I can’t wait for that one to come back!

David Moore

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: molly the blind tech lover
Sent: Thursday, March 7, 2019 3:15 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] weather plus addon

 

I liked that add-on ☺

 

-----Original Message-----

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don H

Sent: Thursday, March 7, 2019 11:26 AM

To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Subject: [nvda] weather plus addon

 

Is the weather plus addon ever coming back?  Miss using it everyday.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Re: Reviewing the screen, help

Sarah k Alawami
 

I also redirect on the mac as it is so much easier to read the output later that way I know what went wrong especially for stuff that will take hours to complete and I for example have a screen session.

Take care

On 7 Mar 2019, at 20:57, Brian Vogel wrote:

Gene,

          You could be correct, but I can speak from experience that if I really need to review the output of command prompt commands I always redirect to log files simply because it's so much easier to review these in a text editor and they are "non-volatile" while screen output is gone the moment you close the window.

           I would advise anyone, whether developing batch files, or doing commands live in command prompt, to use redirect and append commands, including the redirection of STDERR if needed, to a log file or log files.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

 

 


Re: Reviewing the screen, help

 

Gene,

          You could be correct, but I can speak from experience that if I really need to review the output of command prompt commands I always redirect to log files simply because it's so much easier to review these in a text editor and they are "non-volatile" while screen output is gone the moment you close the window.

           I would advise anyone, whether developing batch files, or doing commands live in command prompt, to use redirect and append commands, including the redirection of STDERR if needed, to a log file or log files.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

 

 


Re: Reviewing the screen, help

Gene
 

All this doesn't teach people how to review the screen and if you are going to use the Command prompt to any extent, you need to know how.  I hope those who know more about this will write more. 
 
it appears to me that if you are in object navigation mode, you can use the regular review commands, numpad 7, 8, 9, move left by line, read current line and move right by line, to review what is on the screen.  4, 5 and 6 are left one word, current word, right one word.  1, 2, 3, are the same but by character. 
 
If you want to move to the top of the navigator object, use shift 7.  To move to the bottom, use shift 9.  In the command prompt, the entire screen is one single navigator object.  So shift 7 moves you to the top of the screen and shift 9 moves you to the bottom.
 
To move to the beginning of a line, use shift 1.  To move to the end, use shift 3.
 
I believe these commands work when expected in the DOS prompt but I've only tried them a very few times.  But all these methods of piping output to a file, while useful at times, are really often ways to get around basic knowledge of NVDA, which is useful in many contexts, not just this one.
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2019 10:14 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Reviewing the screen, help

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 10:40 PM, ADRIAN POCOCK wrote:
and i think there was a cmd to place it on the clipboard but its slipped my mind.
Adrian, I was typing about redirection and append commands at the same time you wrote your message.  You are correct about the clipboard. You just use the pipe command with the word "clip" after it, e.g.,

                              dir /? | clip

and the output goes straight to the clipboard for pasting elsewhere.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

 

 


Re: Reviewing the screen, help

 

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 10:40 PM, ADRIAN POCOCK wrote:
and i think there was a cmd to place it on the clipboard but its slipped my mind.
Adrian, I was typing about redirection and append commands at the same time you wrote your message.  You are correct about the clipboard. You just use the pipe command with the word "clip" after it, e.g.,

                              dir /? | clip

and the output goes straight to the clipboard for pasting elsewhere.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

 

 


Re: Reviewing the screen, help

 

In a Command Prompt window, if I hit CTRL+Home it takes me back to the beginning of the command prompt session and starts reading from the line that gives the Microsoft Version (which is the first line and keeps on going).

That being said, if you really want to review the output of a command where you've used the slash question mark switch, it's much easier to redirect the output to a text file so that you can open that in Notepad or the text editor of your choice to review at your leisure.

For example, in a command prompt session, if you enter the following:

DIR /? > %HOMEPATH%\Diroptions.txt

the file Diroptions.txt will exist under C:\Users\{your user}.  When you open command prompt, you're already sitting in your HOMEPATH folder.  If you want you could also specify:

DIR /? > .\Diroptions.txt

and Diroptions.txt will be in the very folder you're sitting in when you run the DIR command (provided you're somewhere you have permission to write to).  You technically don't even have to have the period and backslash before the text file name if you want it to be placed in the same folder where you're currently sitting.

If you want to put the manual pages for more than one command into a single text file, use the redirect, >, operator for the first command output, but for all the other ones you want tacked on after that use the append, >>, operator instead.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

 

 


Re: Reviewing the screen, help

 

Hi,

This is where review cursor commands are useful (object review will do).

Cheers,

Joseph

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of ADRIAN POCOCK
Sent: Thursday, March 7, 2019 7:40 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Reviewing the screen, help

 

Hi

after cmd

type command such as dir followed by > symbol and a name of text file in the same directory. for example dir > clip.txt this will output the output to the text file and not the console, and i think there was a cmd to place it on the clipboard but its slipped my mind.

Regards Adrian Pocock

On 08/03/2019 01:58, Howard Traxler wrote:

Hi all,


Using NVDA in Windows 10:


When I "run" the cmd command I get the system command prompt. Then I type in a command such as DIR or shutdown followed by slash question mark.  I get a screen full of command line switch options but I can't figure out how to get NVDA to read them to me. Probably one of the review modes, but I just can't figure it out. Can anyone help, please?


Thanks.

Howard




Re: Reviewing the screen, help

ADRIAN POCOCK
 

Hi

after cmd

type command such as dir followed by > symbol and a name of text file in the same directory. for example dir > clip.txt this will output the output to the text file and not the console, and i think there was a cmd to place it on the clipboard but its slipped my mind.

Regards Adrian Pocock

On 08/03/2019 01:58, Howard Traxler wrote:
Hi all,


Using NVDA in Windows 10:


When I "run" the cmd command I get the system command prompt. Then I type in a command such as DIR or shutdown followed by slash question mark.  I get a screen full of command line switch options but I can't figure out how to get NVDA to read them to me. Probably one of the review modes, but I just can't figure it out. Can anyone help, please?


Thanks.

Howard





Re: Reviewing the screen, help

 

Hi,
I also couldn't figure out a way of reading the information presented on the screen.
As a workaround, if you want, you could try what follows:
1. Being on the prompt, press "ALT+Spacebar"
2. Up/down arrow until you find "edit" and press enter
3. Up/down arrow until you find "select all" and press enter.
You've just selected all the content which is on the screen at this point.
4. Press "ALT+Spacebar" again
5. Up/down arrow until "edit"
6. Up/down arrow until "copy".
You've just copied what you selected. Now all that content is on your clipboard.
7. Open Notepad and paste the content there so you can read.

Hth


Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 07/03/2019 22:58, Howard Traxler escreveu:

Hi all,


Using NVDA in Windows 10:


When I "run" the cmd command I get the system command prompt. Then I type in a command such as DIR or shutdown followed by slash question mark.  I get a screen full of command line switch options but I can't figure out how to get NVDA to read them to me. Probably one of the review modes, but I just can't figure it out. Can anyone help, please?


Thanks.

Howard







Reviewing the screen, help

Howard Traxler <howard@...>
 

Hi all,


Using NVDA in Windows 10:


When I "run" the cmd command I get the system command prompt. Then I type in a command such as DIR or shutdown followed by slash question mark.  I get a screen full of command line switch options but I can't figure out how to get NVDA to read them to me. Probably one of the review modes, but I just can't figure it out. Can anyone help, please?


Thanks.

Howard


Re: trying to sync albums to iPod Shuffle from iTunes using NVDA

Clarissa Mitchell
 

That is essentially what I did. I added all the music in the "Music"
folder to the iTunes library. However, I want to sync only particular
albums, and it's not letting me do that. I checked the box that says
"only sync checked songs," and then I tab to the different lists, each
containing the names of artists, albums, playlists etc. I press down
arrow to get to one I want, and press space to select it. When I tab
to the list of albums, I press the arrow keys and nothing happens.
This is my problem. I can sync other things, like artists, just fine.
But I only want specific albums by those artists, not all their
albums.

On 3/7/19, Robert Doc Wright godfearer <godfearer@comcast.net> wrote:
1. Add your music by either pressing control o and finding the music and
entering on it. Or open the file menu and press d to open a folder. You
highlight the folder and then tab and enter on select
2. When you have added all of your songs tab to your device and enter
3. Tab to summary treeview and press m for music
4. Tab once and be sure that music is checked
5. Tab to sync/apply and enter
It should play a tone wen done.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, March 7, 2019 8:22 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] trying to sync albums to iPod Shuffle from iTunes using
NVDA

If its any consolation to you. I just installee Itunes as I bought an I
phone and am not getting far with trying to find my way around it. All I
will say is that navigating in it is just like on the I Phone not windows
standard, but occasionally when I use it with nvda it will just crash the
computer.
I used to hate it before, but had hoped that they might have made it more
intuitive. So if any Itunes gurus who use nvda are out there, we are all
ears.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Clarissa Mitchell" <MusicGirl712@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2019 4:17 PM
Subject: [nvda] trying to sync albums to iPod Shuffle from iTunes using
NVDA


Hello all. I'm trying to sync my iPod shuffle, and I'm running into a
little problem. I want to sync particular albums. I can choose artists
from my library just fine, but it syncs their entire collection I have
in my library, including Christmas albums, which I don't want on my
iPod in March! But when I go to the list of albums and try to select
the ones I want, I get nothing. NVDA says absolutely nothing. I've
tried this with a demo version of JAWS 2019 and got the same result:
absolutely nothing. The only other list where this happens is genres.
The lists of artists and playlists read fine. This makes me think
something needs to be configured in my iTunes. The only other way I
can think to do this would be to create a new playlist, add all the
albums to it and just sync the one playlist. That might work, since
the playlists are being read. By the way, I am running the latest
version of iTunes, on the latest Windows 10. Can anyone help with
this?










Re: RCFV software beta

Gene
 

Often enough to make many articles not properly readable, names or parts of sentences are presented as links.  I don't know if I will play with this software but I wonder how it compares to reading views you can use in firefox and in Chrome, using an attachment in Chrome. 
 
If links aren't somehow evaluated as to whether they should remain in the text, such a feature would be, for the most part, useless. 
 
for example the sentence, Link: President Trump end of link signed the bill addressing the aid request for link:  hurricane disaster, end of link, relief.  With links removed, the sentence would read signed the bill addressing the request for relief.
 
I don't know if people pay attention to how often links are proper names or refer to something like an ongoing story.
 
Gene.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2019 5:42 PM
Subject: [nvda] RCFV software beta

Hi everyone,

Tony Zackin is developing software which, while not specifically aimed at blind users, includes a couple of features, such as a text browser, which might be of interest.  If you'd like to find out more and try it out, please see Tony's information below.

Kind regards

Quentin.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Tony Zackin <tzackin@...>
Date: Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 9:19 AM
Subject: RCFV software beta
To: Quentin Christensen <quentin@...>


Quentin,

 

Attached is information regarding the installation of the latest release of my software, RCFV.  I have played with it using NVDA and found that it seems to work adequately.  Of course, the program is designed for power users so any average user, sighted or not, might have some issues using it.  Despite that, I think some members of your community might find it useful.  If so, I would be inclined to tweak it a bit to make it more user friendly, if necessary, for use with NVDA.  Please feel free to distribute it as is.  It is currently freeware and will probably remain so although that is not set in stone.

 

If the software is not useful for your community that is fine but if you guys do see some value in using it please get back to me at tony.zackin@... with any suggestions for improving it, particularly for your needs. 

 

Thanks for your attention.

 

Tony Zackin

Takamomto, LLC

 

 

 

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 4:40 AM <tony.zackin@...> wrote:

info@...

 

I am in the process of releasing beta software that is not intended specifically for the visually impaired but does potentially have some applicability. It has a number of unique features not necessarily relevant to you but there are a couple that you might be interested in. One of them is that it has a text browser component. Now, I know that text browsers have been around for many years and I am guessing that many visually impaired people use them. However, my software offers the ability to not only extract just the text from many (but not all) web sites but also to filter it using enhanced regular expressions which can be predefined for each website accessed.  Consequently, what appears on the display can be only links to other pages or just the text of a news article, or both, etc. but without other unwanted, superfluous text on the page making it a very nice platform, IMO, for your NVDA software.

 

While playing with your software using Firefox, Edge, and Chrome I noticed issues with reading links.  Using Firefox they were ignored while in Edge they were verbalized but then followed by the actual url value. Clearly a text browser that ignores links completely can solve that problem but obviously at a cost. My software can optionally hide all links so that all the user gets is the text. But that is not the optimal solution, of course, since the link information is usually important. The way my software is designed is to normally provide hyperlinks in the text which are delimited by control characters which are normally invisible to the reader. (These control characters are used by the software to determine the location of hyperlinks in the text.) When NVDA reads a link in my software it vocalizes the beginning and end control character for the link. In other words, link text is not only verbalized but the existence and boundaries of the link are also announced to the listener who can then optionallly click on it to open that page. However no long url is verbalized. BTW, my software can also present links as explicit urls if the reader or, in this case, listener, is interested.

 

To summarize, my software was not intended for the visually impaired. It is actually designed primarily for power users who have a facility with regular expressions. However, blind users with access to knowledgeable sighted helpers could potentially benefit from using it in conjunction with your software. To be honest it has a very visual interface which might be confusing when using a screen reader. It might be possible to simplify the interface though for the visually impaired community.

 

As I said earlier the software is currently being beta tested. It has been thoroughly tested in-house and works with very many web sites including many popular news, political, and technology sites. If you are at all interested in taking a look at it, or know someone else in your community who might, please respond and I will give you a link to the web page containing the currently existing tutorial documentation and the setup program.

 

Thanks for your attention.

 

Anthony Zackin

Chief developer, Takamomto, LLC

tony.zackin@...

 


 

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

 

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

 

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 




---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: 
To: 
Cc: 
Bcc: 
Date: 
Subject: New beta version of RCFV plus new tutorials

 

The latest beta version of RCFV is 0.0.0.2192.4670 and can be downloaded from the shared folder

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Gu-J1WMsUnTIxVgufzdMuAio2GjsyeRn?usp=sharing

 

Before doing anything please read the download instructions below.

 

If you already have an older version of RCFV installed please uninstall it first.  You can manually run “unins000.exe” in “Program Files\RCFV” or “Program Files (x86)\RCFV” or just uninstall via “Programs and Features” in the Control Panel.

 

In additon to the RCFV setup code there are some new tutorials which I urge you to read before playing with the program. More tutorials will be coming in the future.

 


 

Download instructions

 

I recommend that you download the setup file using either the Firefox or MS Edge browser.  If you use Chrome you will get a warning because this is new software and you may have difficulty downloading it without changing the Chrome security settings. Please note that RCFV is now digitially signed. That, in and of itself, doesn’t make it secure, but it should assure you that the software is from my company, Takamomto, LLC and has not been tampered with by a third party.  To reassure you I recommend that before running the setup program you submit it to an online virus scan at https://www.virustotal.com by either dragging and dropping or selecting the setup exe file from your download directory.  Please notify me at the email address below if the virus scan is not “clean”.

 

Please note that since this is a “new” program many anti-virus programs, including MS Defender, may mark it as a suspicious application. Since you won’t be installing it unless it passed the online virus scan you should allow your system to install it. The way you override such a warning depends on the software involved but I trust that you can Google how to do this if you do not know.  Windows built-in MS Defender will “protect” you from new and unrecognized applications with a pop-up as displayed below.  Just select “More info” and then “Run anyway” on the subsequent screen and you should be good to go.

 

 

Any feedback about the program or tutorials would be appreciated at rcfvbeta@....

 

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

 

Tony Zackin

Takamomto, LLC

 

 



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 


Re: trying to sync albums to iPod Shuffle from iTunes using NVDA

Robert Doc Wright godfearer
 

  1. Add your music by either pressing control o and finding the music and entering on it. Or open the file menu and press d to open a folder. You highlight the folder and then tab and enter on select
  2. When you have added all of your songs tab to your device and enter
  3. Tab to summary treeview and press m for music
  4. Tab once and be sure that music is checked
  5. Tab to sync/apply and enter

It should play a tone wen done.

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, March 7, 2019 8:22 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] trying to sync albums to iPod Shuffle from iTunes using NVDA

 

If its any consolation to you. I just installee   Itunes as I bought an I

phone and am not getting far with trying to find my way around it. All I

will say is that navigating in it is just like on the I Phone not windows

standard, but occasionally when I use it with nvda it will just  crash the

computer.

I used to hate it before, but had hoped that they might have made it more

intuitive. So if any Itunes gurus who use nvda are out there, we are all

ears.

Brian

 

bglists@...

Sent via blueyonder.

Please address personal E-mail to:-

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----

From: "Clarissa Mitchell" <MusicGirl712@...>

To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>

Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2019 4:17 PM

Subject: [nvda] trying to sync albums to iPod Shuffle from iTunes using NVDA

 

 

> Hello all. I'm trying to sync my iPod shuffle, and I'm running into a

> little problem. I want to sync particular albums. I can choose artists

> from my library just fine, but it syncs their entire collection I have

> in my library, including Christmas albums, which I don't want on my

> iPod in March! But when I go to the list of albums and try to select

> the ones I want, I get nothing. NVDA says absolutely nothing. I've

> tried this with a demo version of JAWS 2019 and got the same result:

> absolutely nothing. The only other list where this happens is genres.

> The lists of artists and playlists read fine. This makes me think

> something needs to be configured in my iTunes. The only other way I

> can think to do this would be to create a new playlist, add all the

> albums to it and just sync the one playlist. That might work, since

> the playlists are being read. By the way, I am running the latest

> version of iTunes, on the latest Windows 10. Can anyone help with

> this?

>

>

 

 

 

 


RCFV software beta

Quentin Christensen
 

Hi everyone,

Tony Zackin is developing software which, while not specifically aimed at blind users, includes a couple of features, such as a text browser, which might be of interest.  If you'd like to find out more and try it out, please see Tony's information below.

Kind regards

Quentin.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Tony Zackin <tzackin@...>
Date: Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 9:19 AM
Subject: RCFV software beta
To: Quentin Christensen <quentin@...>


Quentin,

 

Attached is information regarding the installation of the latest release of my software, RCFV.  I have played with it using NVDA and found that it seems to work adequately.  Of course, the program is designed for power users so any average user, sighted or not, might have some issues using it.  Despite that, I think some members of your community might find it useful.  If so, I would be inclined to tweak it a bit to make it more user friendly, if necessary, for use with NVDA.  Please feel free to distribute it as is.  It is currently freeware and will probably remain so although that is not set in stone.

 

If the software is not useful for your community that is fine but if you guys do see some value in using it please get back to me at tony.zackin@... with any suggestions for improving it, particularly for your needs. 

 

Thanks for your attention.

 

Tony Zackin

Takamomto, LLC

 

 

 

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 4:40 AM <tony.zackin@...> wrote:

info@...

 

I am in the process of releasing beta software that is not intended specifically for the visually impaired but does potentially have some applicability. It has a number of unique features not necessarily relevant to you but there are a couple that you might be interested in. One of them is that it has a text browser component. Now, I know that text browsers have been around for many years and I am guessing that many visually impaired people use them. However, my software offers the ability to not only extract just the text from many (but not all) web sites but also to filter it using enhanced regular expressions which can be predefined for each website accessed.  Consequently, what appears on the display can be only links to other pages or just the text of a news article, or both, etc. but without other unwanted, superfluous text on the page making it a very nice platform, IMO, for your NVDA software.

 

While playing with your software using Firefox, Edge, and Chrome I noticed issues with reading links.  Using Firefox they were ignored while in Edge they were verbalized but then followed by the actual url value. Clearly a text browser that ignores links completely can solve that problem but obviously at a cost. My software can optionally hide all links so that all the user gets is the text. But that is not the optimal solution, of course, since the link information is usually important. The way my software is designed is to normally provide hyperlinks in the text which are delimited by control characters which are normally invisible to the reader. (These control characters are used by the software to determine the location of hyperlinks in the text.) When NVDA reads a link in my software it vocalizes the beginning and end control character for the link. In other words, link text is not only verbalized but the existence and boundaries of the link are also announced to the listener who can then optionallly click on it to open that page. However no long url is verbalized. BTW, my software can also present links as explicit urls if the reader or, in this case, listener, is interested.

 

To summarize, my software was not intended for the visually impaired. It is actually designed primarily for power users who have a facility with regular expressions. However, blind users with access to knowledgeable sighted helpers could potentially benefit from using it in conjunction with your software. To be honest it has a very visual interface which might be confusing when using a screen reader. It might be possible to simplify the interface though for the visually impaired community.

 

As I said earlier the software is currently being beta tested. It has been thoroughly tested in-house and works with very many web sites including many popular news, political, and technology sites. If you are at all interested in taking a look at it, or know someone else in your community who might, please respond and I will give you a link to the web page containing the currently existing tutorial documentation and the setup program.

 

Thanks for your attention.

 

Anthony Zackin

Chief developer, Takamomto, LLC

tony.zackin@...

 


 

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

 

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

 

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 




---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: 
To: 
Cc: 
Bcc: 
Date: 
Subject: New beta version of RCFV plus new tutorials

 

The latest beta version of RCFV is 0.0.0.2192.4670 and can be downloaded from the shared folder

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Gu-J1WMsUnTIxVgufzdMuAio2GjsyeRn?usp=sharing

 

Before doing anything please read the download instructions below.

 

If you already have an older version of RCFV installed please uninstall it first.  You can manually run “unins000.exe” in “Program Files\RCFV” or “Program Files (x86)\RCFV” or just uninstall via “Programs and Features” in the Control Panel.

 

In additon to the RCFV setup code there are some new tutorials which I urge you to read before playing with the program. More tutorials will be coming in the future.

 


 

Download instructions

 

I recommend that you download the setup file using either the Firefox or MS Edge browser.  If you use Chrome you will get a warning because this is new software and you may have difficulty downloading it without changing the Chrome security settings. Please note that RCFV is now digitially signed. That, in and of itself, doesn’t make it secure, but it should assure you that the software is from my company, Takamomto, LLC and has not been tampered with by a third party.  To reassure you I recommend that before running the setup program you submit it to an online virus scan at https://www.virustotal.com by either dragging and dropping or selecting the setup exe file from your download directory.  Please notify me at the email address below if the virus scan is not “clean”.

 

Please note that since this is a “new” program many anti-virus programs, including MS Defender, may mark it as a suspicious application. Since you won’t be installing it unless it passed the online virus scan you should allow your system to install it. The way you override such a warning depends on the software involved but I trust that you can Google how to do this if you do not know.  Windows built-in MS Defender will “protect” you from new and unrecognized applications with a pop-up as displayed below.  Just select “More info” and then “Run anyway” on the subsequent screen and you should be good to go.

 

 

Any feedback about the program or tutorials would be appreciated at rcfvbeta@....

 

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

 

Tony Zackin

Takamomto, LLC

 

 



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 


Re: Firefox and Extensions' section

ADRIAN POCOCK
 

Hi

I also had other issues with Firefox and found the answer to be in add-ons, themes.  The original light default theme was having issues but the new light theme when i enabled it my issues disappeared.

Adrian Pocock

On 07/03/2019 22:12, marcio via Groups.I wrote:
Starting by answering the last question (LOL), here using Windows 10.
Now let's to my own question. How can I make a ticket on the Firefox Bug Tracker?

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 07/03/2019 05:53, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io escreveu:
I'm not sure, but I think the version before that one worked correctly. Somebody needs to make a ticket on the Firefox bug tracker or it can be put on the nvda one if you want, and maybe Jamie can advise as he was on there the other day trying to understand a different issue in Firefox, I noticed.

This though is a Firefox issue as it was working before.

I only went there to check prompted by this thread, and as has been said, I knew it was working earlier.
Incidentally which version of Windows is everyone using, windows 7 or does it not matter?

Its a minor issue but annoying nonetheless if you want to add or look at what other add ons are installed.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Sue J. Ward" <groovy41@...>
To: "nvda groups" <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2019 9:08 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Firefox and Extensions' section


 Hello. I am getting the same thing and I also noticed it was occurring in the previous version so whats going on here? I even cleared out the cookies and cash along with the history entries and am still getting this. I guess for now I have to use the tab and shift tab to get around this annoying bug. I am also getting the same thing on my other windows 10 machine. Maybe the NVDA add on for Thunderbird and fire fox needs to be updated? I just don't know. Maybe when the new version of nvda comes out those issues will go away. Just my thoughts.
____________________________________________________________
Drink 1 Cup Before Bed, Watch Your Body Fat Melt Like Crazy
Celebrity Local
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5c8036c0290a636bf3b6bst01duc










Re: O T, windows update

 

If it says restart now then its done the update.

running disk cleanup by searching for disk, selecting disk cleanup and hitting control shift enter and then cleaning up all the temp and windows update files will help but it seems like windows eventually fixed itself so if it wants you to restart then its ready to be restarted and update is installed so do that.



On 8/03/2019 12:10 AM, The Gamages via Groups.Io wrote:
Hello,
 
My a pologies for the off topic message, but has anyone had a similar experience as I am having at the moment.
Several weeks ago I got a message purporting to come from Microsoft asking me to free up space for a new update which was larger than normal, I chose to be reminded later, since then the message changed to a choice of “pick a time”or “remind me later”, now it is saying either “restart now” or “wait an hour”.
So far I have not allowed this update, has anyone else had this experience, it seems a different procedure to earlier updates, by the way I have version 1803 at the moment.
Thank you for any comments and advice.
 
  Best Regards, Jim.


Re: Firefox and Extensions' section

 

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/

Read the links:  Bug Writing Guidelines
and Bugzilla Etiquette

before going on to activate a new account.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

 

 


Re: Firefox and Extensions' section

 

Starting by answering the last question (LOL), here using Windows 10.
Now let's to my own question. How can I make a ticket on the Firefox Bug Tracker?

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 07/03/2019 05:53, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io escreveu:

I'm not sure, but I think the version before that one worked correctly. Somebody needs to make a ticket on the Firefox bug tracker or it can be put on the nvda one if you want, and maybe Jamie can advise as he was on there the other day trying to understand a different issue in Firefox, I noticed.

This though is a Firefox issue as it was working before.

I only went there to check prompted by this thread, and as has been said, I knew it was working earlier.
Incidentally which version of Windows is everyone using, windows 7 or does it not matter?

Its a minor issue but annoying nonetheless if you want to add or look at what other add ons are installed.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Sue J. Ward" <groovy41@...>
To: "nvda groups" <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2019 9:08 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Firefox and Extensions' section


 Hello. I am getting the same thing and I also noticed it was occurring in the previous version so whats going on here? I even cleared out the cookies and cash along with the history entries and am still getting this. I guess for now I have to use the tab and shift tab to get around this annoying bug. I am also getting the same thing on my other windows 10 machine. Maybe the NVDA add on for Thunderbird and fire fox needs to be updated? I just don't know. Maybe when the new version of nvda comes out those issues will go away. Just my thoughts.
____________________________________________________________
Drink 1 Cup Before Bed, Watch Your Body Fat Melt Like Crazy
Celebrity Local
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5c8036c0290a636bf3b6bst01duc