Date   

Re: An important message about Microsoft Windows 10 updates

 

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 08:01 PM, Michael Munn wrote:
May I ask what is this update about?
This topic is not about any specific update.  It's about the fact that Microsoft's Windows Update facility is being tweaked to allow it not only to install updates, but to uninstall those that have shown to be problematic.

This feature is not active quite yet, but is coming in the very near future.

If you want to know what any specific Windows Update involves then you need to do a web search on the KB number associated with it.  That or go straight to the Microsoft Update Catalog page and search on the KB number there.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

 

 


Re: An important message about Microsoft Windows 10 updates

Ian Blackburn
 

It’s a security update
When you go into updates with Microsoft it will actually tell you that
Kind regards Ian


On 14 Mar 2019, at 8:08 am, Michael Munn <michaelrbms@...> wrote:

Mah i ask what is this update about? I just got a notification from my computer that it will start after the hour. 
So far of all the bickerin I have not got any inportant detail on this update. 


Michael Munn
Member: Virginia Association of Blind students
 National Federation of the Blind of   Virginia   www.nfbv.org
Member: Maryland Association of Blind Students
National Federation of the Blind of  Maryland www.nfbmd.org
Students of: Hadley Institute of the Blind




On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 7:34 PM Curtis Delzer <curtis@...> wrote:

mine got rid of all my personal files, so had to re-do all from backup. When I updated to 09 windows' that is.

On 3/13/2019 1:28 PM, Gene wrote:
What do you mean by trashed the operating system?  I suppose that beyond a certain point, the process wouldn't be able to run but I don't recall hearing of updates doing that much damage, although I suppose its possible in rare, perhaps very rare cases.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 2:32 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] An important message about Microsoft Windows 10 updates

Well not if its trashed the operating system as it just did to a friend of 
mines machine it won't!
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Gene" <gsasner@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 1:35 PM
Subject: [nvda] An important message about Microsoft Windows 10 updates


I almost never start off topic threads.  If this is not considered 
appropriate, let me know.  This seems to me to be a very important news 
story, however.

Here is a story from Kim Komando about how Microsoft is finally really doing 
something to deal with problems caused by its seemingly unending record of 
bad updates.  It's past time

If this works as its supposed to, it may save a lot of users serious 
problems.
https://www.komando.com/happening-now/554278/windows-10-will-now-automatically-uninstall-buggy-updates?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=notd&utm_content=2019-03-13

Gene






-- 


Curtis Delzer 
HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA


Re: An important message about Microsoft Windows 10 updates

Michael Munn
 

Mah i ask what is this update about? I just got a notification from my computer that it will start after the hour. 
So far of all the bickerin I have not got any inportant detail on this update. 


Michael Munn
Member: Virginia Association of Blind students
 National Federation of the Blind of   Virginia   www.nfbv.org
Member: Maryland Association of Blind Students
National Federation of the Blind of  Maryland www.nfbmd.org
Students of: Hadley Institute of the Blind




On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 7:34 PM Curtis Delzer <curtis@...> wrote:

mine got rid of all my personal files, so had to re-do all from backup. When I updated to 09 windows' that is.

On 3/13/2019 1:28 PM, Gene wrote:
What do you mean by trashed the operating system?  I suppose that beyond a certain point, the process wouldn't be able to run but I don't recall hearing of updates doing that much damage, although I suppose its possible in rare, perhaps very rare cases.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 2:32 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] An important message about Microsoft Windows 10 updates

Well not if its trashed the operating system as it just did to a friend of 
mines machine it won't!
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Gene" <gsasner@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 1:35 PM
Subject: [nvda] An important message about Microsoft Windows 10 updates


I almost never start off topic threads.  If this is not considered 
appropriate, let me know.  This seems to me to be a very important news 
story, however.

Here is a story from Kim Komando about how Microsoft is finally really doing 
something to deal with problems caused by its seemingly unending record of 
bad updates.  It's past time

If this works as its supposed to, it may save a lot of users serious 
problems.
https://www.komando.com/happening-now/554278/windows-10-will-now-automatically-uninstall-buggy-updates?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=notd&utm_content=2019-03-13

Gene






-- 


Curtis Delzer 
HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA


Re: Nvda and the International phonetic Alphabet, (IPA)

Teri McElroy <shimzin.lists@...>
 

Hi Lev

Thanks, I already have "the other screen reader" working with IPA but need NVDA to do it too.

On 14-Mar-19 1:48 AM, Lev wrote:
thank you Teri,
however, there are many many symbols that I want to include and adding
one by one is something that I don't want to do...  I prefer just
continue using the other screen reader for this purpose...
From what I understood, you need to read some symbols from the IPA, so
if you are interested and you are already a user of the other screen
reader, inbox me and I tell you how I did it.


Literophilus

El 12/03/2019 a las 14:21, Teri McElroy escribió:
Hello Lev

I have just recently emailed the list to find out about this same
topic. You can go to the nvda menu, then preferences,
punctuation/symbol pronunciation. You'll need to input the symbols
along with how you want the speech engine to pronounce them. However,
I don't think putting in the unicode values is going to work. You'll
need to input the actual symbol along with how you want NVDA to
pronounce it. I've just tried entering a unicode value here and it
didn't work for me. But when I enter the actual symbol, it does.

You can find information about punctuation/symbol pronunciation in
section 11.2.2 of the online userguide. It will explain about
inputting symbols.

Hope that helps.


Teri


On 13-Mar-19 8:18 AM, Lev wrote:


Hello,

I have noticed that espeak reads some symbols of the international
phonetic alphabet; however, this can not be done by other synthetic
voices, so my question is this:

How to make that nvda reads correctly those symbols regardless of the
synthetizer?

Or, how to make that other synthetizers read those symbols?For
instance, vocalizer.

I got the Unicode transcription for all the symbols that I want.

The syntaxis is this:

U+00E6=Ash

Where the term “ash” is the proper name for that particular symbol.

So, is there a file inside the installation folder of nvda or user
settings where I can paste that syntaxis to have nvda reading all
those symbols?

Thanks for any info.

--
Literophilus



Re: Invisible Dropbox pop-ups

Kwork
 

Brian, as I hadn't really had my dropbox open much lately, I've kind of ignored this topic, but have now also had these popups being talked about. How would I generate a screenshot, and how would I get it to you? Thanks.

Travis

On 3/13/2019 4:11 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
I would just like to confirm, based upon the screenshot I have received thus far, that the characterization of the DropBox pop-up as invisible appears to be entirely accurate.

I can literally see nothing on top of the underlying screen and the only thing DropBox related is its process icon in the system tray.  That would not typically cause what's been described.

If others wish to send me more samples, I'll keep analyzing same to see if anything, no pun intended, pops up.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

 

 


Re: An important message about Microsoft Windows 10 updates

Curtis Delzer
 

mine got rid of all my personal files, so had to re-do all from backup. When I updated to 09 windows' that is.

On 3/13/2019 1:28 PM, Gene wrote:
What do you mean by trashed the operating system?  I suppose that beyond a certain point, the process wouldn't be able to run but I don't recall hearing of updates doing that much damage, although I suppose its possible in rare, perhaps very rare cases.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 2:32 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] An important message about Microsoft Windows 10 updates

Well not if its trashed the operating system as it just did to a friend of
mines machine it won't!
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene" <gsasner@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 1:35 PM
Subject: [nvda] An important message about Microsoft Windows 10 updates


I almost never start off topic threads.  If this is not considered
appropriate, let me know.  This seems to me to be a very important news
story, however.

Here is a story from Kim Komando about how Microsoft is finally really doing
something to deal with problems caused by its seemingly unending record of
bad updates.  It's past time

If this works as its supposed to, it may save a lot of users serious
problems.
https://www.komando.com/happening-now/554278/windows-10-will-now-automatically-uninstall-buggy-updates?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=notd&utm_content=2019-03-13

Gene






-- 


Curtis Delzer 
HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA


Re: Invisible Dropbox pop-ups

 

I would just like to confirm, based upon the screenshot I have received thus far, that the characterization of the DropBox pop-up as invisible appears to be entirely accurate.

I can literally see nothing on top of the underlying screen and the only thing DropBox related is its process icon in the system tray.  That would not typically cause what's been described.

If others wish to send me more samples, I'll keep analyzing same to see if anything, no pun intended, pops up.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

 

 


Re: Weather Plus 5.0 update available

Don H
 

Have to make sure that the key you put in does not have any empty spaces at the end of it.

On 3/13/2019 5:49 PM, Curtis Delzer wrote:
I put in my zip code in that "combo box," and there was no "OK" button.

On 3/13/2019 12:18 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
An easier way is to open the Weather Plus settings and choose documentation. It takes you to the folder where 5 files including read me first are located.


On 3/13/2019 6:30 AM, Hermann-Josef Kurzen wrote:
Hi Gary,

unfortunately Adriano didn't tell where to find the file "weather first settings.html".
I've found it under:
j:\AppData\Roaming\nvda\addons\Weather Plus\doc
where j:\ is my users directory. The right folder for You is "en"
And in this folder there is the file "weather plus first settings.html".


Greetings - Hermann



--- Ursprüngliche Nachricht ---
Von:         "Gary Metzler" <gmtravel@comcast.net>  Wichtigkeit Normal
Lesebestätigung wurde nicht angefordert
Gesendet am: Mi, 13. März 2019 05:36:04 -0400
An:          nvda@nvda.groups.io;
CC:
Betreff:     Re: [nvda] Weather Plus 5.0 update available
Verwendetes Mailprogramm: vermutlich online im WEB erstellt

Hi Adriano,

I can't seem to find the read me 1st file.  Also, how do I get a key?  Thanks for any help.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Adriano Barbieri via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 3:07 AM
To: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io; nvda <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: [nvda] Weather Plus 5.0 update available

Hi to every one,

After more than 2 months it is back in operative :)

Changes in this new version:

. Weather Plus now uses the APIXU API, in my opinion better than the previous one; To work requires an API key, read the Weather Plus First Settings.html for instructions (highly recommended).
#Changes in the Weather Plus Settings window:
. Removed old checkbox "State of barometric pressure".
. Replaced with new checkbox "Add cloudiness value"; It gives you the percentage of cloudiness.
. Added new checkbox "Add precipitation value"; It gives you the amount in millimeters or inches of precipitation.
. Removed old checkbox "Indicates the wait with a beep while you search for the latest bulletin"; Left active by default.
. Added to the Astronomic informations;
Time of moonrise and moonset.
. Added new button "Rename";
To rename cities more conveniently.
. Improved function of the "Test" button; Now accept some commands to facilitate the search for cities; These new commands are described in the help function that can be called up with F1.
. Added button to manage your API key.

Weather Plus can update itself, however you can download it directly from:

. http://www.nvda.it/files/plugin/weather_plus5.0.nvda-addon

or from the pages:

. http://www.nvda.it/weather-plus#main-content

. https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/weatherPlus.en.html

If the file extension arrives as .zip,please correct it with .nvda-addon.


Cheers

adriano












Re: Invisible Dropbox pop-ups

Richard Bartholomew
 

Just to reiterate…I am *not* getting this window with either NVDA or JAWS 2019…and long may it stay that way as not having Dropbox running constantly semi-defeats its raison d’etre and would certainly lessen its usefulness for me!

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sarah k Alawami
Sent: 13 March 2019 22:36
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Invisible Dropbox pop-ups

 

I know that someone in the twitter thread asked if this was a pure nvda issue, or if jfw and othr screen readers were having this issue. Let'ssee what happens from here.

Take care

On 13 Mar 2019, at 15:32, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 06:30 PM, Tyler Wood wrote:

There is a huge thread on twitter about this.

I don't tweet, either.  Just curious if the issue is really limited to screen reader users or whether the sighted users are screaming bloody murder, too.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

 

 


Re: Weather Plus 5.0 update available

Curtis Delzer
 

I put in my zip code in that "combo box," and there was no "OK" button.

On 3/13/2019 12:18 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
An easier way is to open the Weather Plus settings and choose documentation. It takes you to the folder where 5 files including read me first are located.


On 3/13/2019 6:30 AM, Hermann-Josef Kurzen wrote:
Hi Gary,

unfortunately Adriano didn't tell where to find the file "weather first settings.html".
I've found it under:
j:\AppData\Roaming\nvda\addons\Weather Plus\doc
where j:\ is my users directory. The right folder for You is "en"
And in this folder there is the file "weather plus first settings.html".


Greetings - Hermann



--- Ursprüngliche Nachricht ---
Von:         "Gary Metzler" <gmtravel@comcast.net>  Wichtigkeit Normal
Lesebestätigung wurde nicht angefordert
Gesendet am: Mi, 13. März 2019 05:36:04 -0400
An:          nvda@nvda.groups.io;
CC:
Betreff:     Re: [nvda] Weather Plus 5.0 update available
Verwendetes Mailprogramm: vermutlich online im WEB erstellt

Hi Adriano,

I can't seem to find the read me 1st file.  Also, how do I get a key?  Thanks for any help.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Adriano Barbieri via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 3:07 AM
To: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io; nvda <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: [nvda] Weather Plus 5.0 update available

Hi to every one,

After more than 2 months it is back in operative :)

Changes in this new version:

. Weather Plus now uses the APIXU API, in my opinion better than the previous one; To work requires an API key, read the Weather Plus First Settings.html for instructions (highly recommended).
#Changes in the Weather Plus Settings window:
. Removed old checkbox "State of barometric pressure".
. Replaced with new checkbox "Add cloudiness value"; It gives you the percentage of cloudiness.
. Added new checkbox "Add precipitation value"; It gives you the amount in millimeters or inches of precipitation.
. Removed old checkbox "Indicates the wait with a beep while you search for the latest bulletin"; Left active by default.
. Added to the Astronomic informations;
Time of moonrise and moonset.
. Added new button "Rename";
To rename cities more conveniently.
. Improved function of the "Test" button; Now accept some commands to facilitate the search for cities; These new commands are described in the help function that can be called up with F1.
. Added button to manage your API key.

Weather Plus can update itself, however you can download it directly from:

. http://www.nvda.it/files/plugin/weather_plus5.0.nvda-addon

or from the pages:

. http://www.nvda.it/weather-plus#main-content

. https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/weatherPlus.en.html

If the file extension arrives as .zip,please correct it with .nvda-addon.


Cheers

adriano











--


Curtis Delzer
HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA


Re: Sound in Safe Mode, revisited

 

Jackie,

          I have no idea what you're using at the moment as I dumped the .reg approach ages ago.

          See: https://win10.groups.io/g/win10/message/32167 

          It uses a .bat file and only uses command prompt commands to tweak the registry.  No .reg files are employed.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

 

 


Re: Invisible Dropbox pop-ups

Lino Morales
 

Its weird guys cause I don’t get this behavior when I run JAWS 2019. Only when NVDA is up. Now my wife on the other hand the other day got a notification from DB wanting her to update to the desktop version. Um she’s running said version and she also uses J 2019 full time.

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Sent from Mail for Windows 10

                                                                                                               

 


From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 6:32:33 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Invisible Dropbox pop-ups
 
On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 06:30 PM, Tyler Wood wrote:
There is a huge thread on twitter about this.
I don't tweet, either.  Just curious if the issue is really limited to screen reader users or whether the sighted users are screaming bloody murder, too.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

 

 


Sound in Safe Mode, revisited

Jackie
 

Hey Brian V, just FYI, here's the msg I get when trying to use the
.reg file you provided."Cannot import
D:\abletec\Downloads\asus\Sound_in_Safe_Mode\Sound_in_Safe_Mode_RegFile.reg:
Not all
data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by
the system or other
processes, or you have insufficient privileges to perform this operation.

OK"

I tried it from the c: drive as well, w/identical results. I am logged
in as administrator. This is Windows 10 Home Version 1803 (OS Build
17134.648). I briefly checked the context menu to see if there was a
way to run as administrator but found none. I've done very minimal
troubleshooting regarding this, as I have a ton of work I'm really
behind on now, but I just wanted to let you know that things aren't
exactly problem-free re: the reg file. I could likely go in & make the
needed changes, & I may very well do so, but that rather defeats the
purpose,ie, helping someone w/a relatively nontechnical background to
do this easily & quickly.

Just thought I'd give you a heads up.

--
Subscribe to a WordPress for Newbies Mailing List by sending a message to:
wp4newbs-request@freelists.org with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by
visiting the list page at http://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs
& check out my sites at www.brighter-vision.com & www.mysitesbeenhacked.com


Re: Invisible Dropbox pop-ups

Lino Morales
 

Tyler. I’m getting the same horse poo you are man. This has been going on for about 3 weeks maybe? I was just in Skype 8 and bang! Their it was.If this crap keeps up I’ll just use One Drive. I have a free account like yourself.

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Sent from Mail for Windows 10

                                                                                                               

 


From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Tyler Wood <tcwood12@...>
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 6:33:42 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Invisible Dropbox pop-ups
 

Not here. It's happening every few minutes and is beyond ridiculous. I'm glad I'm not paying for the extra storage.


There is a huge thread on twitter about this. It literally disrupts your work because it pops up out of nowhere.


On 2019-03-13 4:17 p.m., Curtis Delzer wrote:

sure it is suppose to happen when someone changes, updates or deletes a file, that's expected. But, the irritating part is that it is as though it wishes to remind you of the options that again available if you press enter.

over and over! :)


It appears though, after a reboot and it's running a couple days it goes away.

On 3/13/2019 5:34 AM, Gene wrote:
I suspect that these windows come up when something changes, someone adds a file or removes it that you are sharing folders with.  It may come up when the program is first run, but one person reported that the window comes up about every half hour, another person reported about every hour.  I doubt there is any general rule about how often they come up. 
 
The following may have a useful suggestion but my understanding of just what is occurring may not be correct.  But whatever is done about this unreadable window problem, my suggestion about how such information is displayed may be useful. 
 
Probably what is needed is the ability to turn such notifications completely off or alter it in some sort of accessibility setting so the information can be checked periodically by the blind person to see announcements about what has changed without them being read automatically.  I expect this can be done.  The information could be displayed in the system tray so a blind person can go to it and read it without a help balloon or a toast announcement being generated.  Information can change constantly if desired in the system tray without a screen-reader reading it if it just changes.  This should be an accessibility setting that can be turned on in preferences.  Should it be on by default when a screen-reader is detected?  I'll leave that for others to discuss. 
 
I think it is important for entities to develop a unified position on this feature and whether it should be on automatically when a screen-reader is detected.  In general, as things are, those who are complaining are just complaining about removing the wwindow.  But that doesn't address the underlying problem, making the information available and not intruding on screen-reader use.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Arlene
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 12:23 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Invisible Dropbox pop-ups

H I didn’t know that. Well that’s good to know.

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Ron Canazzi
Sent: March 12, 2019 9:58 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Invisible Dropbox pop-ups

 

Hi Group,

 

While this Drop Box issue is an annoyance, it goes away within a few minutes after system boot on my computer.  Are others having the phantom windows stay visible indefinitely?

 

On 3/12/2019 10:57 PM, Gene wrote:

I'm sure if the program weren't running, you wouldn't get such notifications.  But some people want the program to be constantly running and for those people this would be a problem.  And even if you have the program run at boot up, you can close it in the system tray.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 9:51 PM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Invisible Dropbox pop-ups

 

Would simply disabling it from Startup stop these invisible Dropbox windows from popping up?, or would the notifications also need to be turned off?

Annette

On 3/12/2019 8:17 PM, Curtis Delzer wrote:

it certainly is, and until you turn off drop box, though you might like to know if a friend or colleague sends you stuff or gets stuff, you have to put up with this s**t.

On 3/11/2019 12:52 PM, Lino Morales wrote:

Its annoying as hell.

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Sent from Mail for Windows 10

                                                                                                               

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Sam Bushman <libertyroundtable@...>
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2019 3:50:32 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Invisible Dropbox pop-ups

 

That is correct – it’s not a notification. It is a box that comes up over and over though.

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of George McCoy
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2019 1:36 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Invisible Dropbox pop-ups

 

For me, this is not a notification.  It looks exactly like the screen that comes up when I click the dropbox button in the system tray/user notifications area of windows 10.

 

George

On 3/11/2019 11:11 AM, Dave Grossoehme wrote:

Good Morning:  I read this information a little late.  However, I check notifications, which are in settings and the notification for Drop Box is uncheck.

Dave

 

On 2/25/2019 5:10 AM, Gene wrote:

Has anyone looked through options in Dropbox to see if anything is available about not showing notifications or messages?  These are, presumably, shown in the system tray.  I almost never use DropBox, though I have it, and I usually don't have it running.  I don't know if I have the latest version.  But the first thing I would do is look through the options to see if anything is available.  I may check later today but it might be better if someone checks who uses it regularly, and knows they have the problem version.  Presumably, I either do or it would update if I leave it on.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, February 25, 2019 3:18 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Invisible Dropbox pop-ups

 

The whole thrust of it for us is that you can hear when new updates come in.
To try to schedule everything at the studio will cause our non tech folk a
problem
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene" <gsasner@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2019 3:45 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Invisible Dropbox pop-ups


Is there any reason to have it running constantly?  You can exit it and only
run it when you want to use it.

Gene
----- Original Message -----

From: James Scholes
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2019 9:32 AM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Invisible Dropbox pop-ups


Hi all,

I'm running Dropbox v68.3.92.  Approximately every half an hour or so,
NVDA's focus is being moved to a Dropbox window which only seems to
contain a single, blank edit field.  The window doesn't seem to stay on
the screen, but focus isn't returned to where it was previously after it
disappears.  In fact, NVDA reports it as taking up a rectangle of 0
pixels, so I don't know if anything shows up visually on the screen at all.

As you can imagine, having to dismiss these boxes several times per day
is irritating.  Does anybody have a work-around?

Regards,

James Scholes
https://twitter.com/JamesScholes






-- 
 
 
Curtis Delzer 
HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA
 
-- 
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

 

-- 


Curtis Delzer 
HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA


Re: An important message about Microsoft Windows 10 updates

 

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 06:17 PM, Lino Morales wrote:
Safe Mode and I probably never will. That’s for the uber geeks out here, but you can run Narrator in said mode. Note you have to have a USB headset and/or an external sound card.
Not necessarily.   I just created a Windows command prompt batch file that will edit the registry to allow the internal sound card to be active in Safe Mode.   Why Microsoft has not made this the default yet on their own, since it was a huge amount of effort to make Narrator available in Safe Mode, eludes me entirely.

See:  https://win10.groups.io/g/win10/message/32167 
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

 

 


Re: Invisible Dropbox pop-ups

Sarah k Alawami
 

I know that someone in the twitter thread asked if this was a pure nvda issue, or if jfw and othr screen readers were having this issue. Let'ssee what happens from here.

Take care

On 13 Mar 2019, at 15:32, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 06:30 PM, Tyler Wood wrote:
There is a huge thread on twitter about this.
I don't tweet, either.  Just curious if the issue is really limited to screen reader users or whether the sighted users are screaming bloody murder, too.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

 

 


Re: Invisible Dropbox pop-ups

 

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 06:30 PM, Tyler Wood wrote:
There is a huge thread on twitter about this.
I don't tweet, either.  Just curious if the issue is really limited to screen reader users or whether the sighted users are screaming bloody murder, too.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

 

 


Re: Invisible Dropbox pop-ups

Tyler Wood
 

Not here. It's happening every few minutes and is beyond ridiculous. I'm glad I'm not paying for the extra storage.


There is a huge thread on twitter about this. It literally disrupts your work because it pops up out of nowhere.


On 2019-03-13 4:17 p.m., Curtis Delzer wrote:

sure it is suppose to happen when someone changes, updates or deletes a file, that's expected. But, the irritating part is that it is as though it wishes to remind you of the options that again available if you press enter.

over and over! :)


It appears though, after a reboot and it's running a couple days it goes away.

On 3/13/2019 5:34 AM, Gene wrote:
I suspect that these windows come up when something changes, someone adds a file or removes it that you are sharing folders with.  It may come up when the program is first run, but one person reported that the window comes up about every half hour, another person reported about every hour.  I doubt there is any general rule about how often they come up. 
 
The following may have a useful suggestion but my understanding of just what is occurring may not be correct.  But whatever is done about this unreadable window problem, my suggestion about how such information is displayed may be useful. 
 
Probably what is needed is the ability to turn such notifications completely off or alter it in some sort of accessibility setting so the information can be checked periodically by the blind person to see announcements about what has changed without them being read automatically.  I expect this can be done.  The information could be displayed in the system tray so a blind person can go to it and read it without a help balloon or a toast announcement being generated.  Information can change constantly if desired in the system tray without a screen-reader reading it if it just changes.  This should be an accessibility setting that can be turned on in preferences.  Should it be on by default when a screen-reader is detected?  I'll leave that for others to discuss. 
 
I think it is important for entities to develop a unified position on this feature and whether it should be on automatically when a screen-reader is detected.  In general, as things are, those who are complaining are just complaining about removing the wwindow.  But that doesn't address the underlying problem, making the information available and not intruding on screen-reader use.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Arlene
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 12:23 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Invisible Dropbox pop-ups

H I didn’t know that. Well that’s good to know.

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Ron Canazzi
Sent: March 12, 2019 9:58 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Invisible Dropbox pop-ups

 

Hi Group,

 

While this Drop Box issue is an annoyance, it goes away within a few minutes after system boot on my computer.  Are others having the phantom windows stay visible indefinitely?

 

On 3/12/2019 10:57 PM, Gene wrote:

I'm sure if the program weren't running, you wouldn't get such notifications.  But some people want the program to be constantly running and for those people this would be a problem.  And even if you have the program run at boot up, you can close it in the system tray.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 9:51 PM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Invisible Dropbox pop-ups

 

Would simply disabling it from Startup stop these invisible Dropbox windows from popping up?, or would the notifications also need to be turned off?

Annette

On 3/12/2019 8:17 PM, Curtis Delzer wrote:

it certainly is, and until you turn off drop box, though you might like to know if a friend or colleague sends you stuff or gets stuff, you have to put up with this s**t.

On 3/11/2019 12:52 PM, Lino Morales wrote:

Its annoying as hell.

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Sent from Mail for Windows 10

                                                                                                               

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Sam Bushman <libertyroundtable@...>
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2019 3:50:32 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Invisible Dropbox pop-ups

 

That is correct – it’s not a notification. It is a box that comes up over and over though.

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of George McCoy
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2019 1:36 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Invisible Dropbox pop-ups

 

For me, this is not a notification.  It looks exactly like the screen that comes up when I click the dropbox button in the system tray/user notifications area of windows 10.

 

George

On 3/11/2019 11:11 AM, Dave Grossoehme wrote:

Good Morning:  I read this information a little late.  However, I check notifications, which are in settings and the notification for Drop Box is uncheck.

Dave

 

On 2/25/2019 5:10 AM, Gene wrote:

Has anyone looked through options in Dropbox to see if anything is available about not showing notifications or messages?  These are, presumably, shown in the system tray.  I almost never use DropBox, though I have it, and I usually don't have it running.  I don't know if I have the latest version.  But the first thing I would do is look through the options to see if anything is available.  I may check later today but it might be better if someone checks who uses it regularly, and knows they have the problem version.  Presumably, I either do or it would update if I leave it on.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, February 25, 2019 3:18 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Invisible Dropbox pop-ups

 

The whole thrust of it for us is that you can hear when new updates come in.
To try to schedule everything at the studio will cause our non tech folk a
problem
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene" <gsasner@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2019 3:45 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Invisible Dropbox pop-ups


Is there any reason to have it running constantly?  You can exit it and only
run it when you want to use it.

Gene
----- Original Message -----

From: James Scholes
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2019 9:32 AM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Invisible Dropbox pop-ups


Hi all,

I'm running Dropbox v68.3.92.  Approximately every half an hour or so,
NVDA's focus is being moved to a Dropbox window which only seems to
contain a single, blank edit field.  The window doesn't seem to stay on
the screen, but focus isn't returned to where it was previously after it
disappears.  In fact, NVDA reports it as taking up a rectangle of 0
pixels, so I don't know if anything shows up visually on the screen at all.

As you can imagine, having to dismiss these boxes several times per day
is irritating.  Does anybody have a work-around?

Regards,

James Scholes
https://twitter.com/JamesScholes






-- 
 
 
Curtis Delzer 
HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA
 
-- 
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

 

-- 


Curtis Delzer 
HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA


Re: An important message about Microsoft Windows 10 updates

Tyler Wood
 

Hi,

I want to say that the startup failure section actually has sound. At least to the point where it asks you if you want to automatically repair, use last known restore point, etc. Of course your mileage may vary, but you certainly have a lot more flexibility compared to even a year or two ago. And you still don't have the option of speech if the computer won't even boot to that - but if that's the case it may very well be hardware over software. I haven't seen windows get so completely done for it won't even reach that point.

On 2019-03-13 5:14 p.m., Jackie wrote:
You've gotta be able to boot to a certain point first in order to do
that, Lino. Even in safe mode, if you can't enable sound via registry
fixes suggested here, you are, to put none too fine a point on it,
screwed.

On 3/13/19, Lino Morales <linomorales001@gmail.com> wrote:
Well you can restore or I should reset a PC with W 10 with Narrator.






Sent from
Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10





________________________________
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Jackie
<abletec@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 5:56:33 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] An important message about Microsoft Windows 10 updates

But, as I suspect you already know, Brian V, catastrophic failure for
a blind person & catastrophic failure for a sighted person are 2 very
different things, if only because it can be difficult to restore the
computer when there's no speech. Rather like you trying to use 1 w/a
broken monitor (& no speech, lol). Apps like Seeing AI can give you
some idea of what's onscreen, but generally not enough to be useful in
terms of selecting items etc. & sighted help, particularly competent
sighted help,isn't always easy to get. But yes--you're absolutely
right--backups are quintessential.

On 3/13/19, Brian Vogel <britechguy@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 04:28 PM, Gene wrote:

I suppose that beyond a certain point, the process wouldn't be able to
run
but I don't recall hearing of updates doing that much damage, although I
suppose its possible in rare, perhaps very rare cases.
And that's exactly what it is. In the very early days of the 1809
rollout,
there were some cases of catastrophic damage, and that's why 1809 was
virtually pulled, for all practical intents and purposes, and when it was
re-issued the speed of rollout was glacially slow for months. In this
age
of system health telemetry catastrophic failures are generally detected
within hours, a day at most, and immediate action to stop things can (and
has) occurred.

I have grown very, very weary of the claims that each and every Microsoft
update, including feature updates, should be viewed with trepidation and
an
expectation that it will cause things to get badly hosed. That is the
very
rare exception, which, of course, doesn't really matter if it happens to
you.

It also points out, again, that if you (any you) care about your data
that
you absolutely must be taking backups. There are all sorts of things
that
can cause a PC to crash, the most common of which is HDD failure. But it
doesn't matter what the root cause might be, really. If you follow a
backup
protocol and take routine backups you can restore a system in minutes
right
back to the state it was in when the most recent backup was taken (or
further back in time if you keep several). Backing up is absolutely the
cheapest and easiest insurance anyone can have as far as making recovery
from catastrophic failure as easy as it can be.

If ever the old saw, "By failing to plan you plan to fail," applies it
relates to taking full system image backups, plus separate user data
backups, for personal computers (and not just those running Windows).

--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763

*A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need
for
illusion is deep.*

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back



--
Subscribe to a WordPress for Newbies Mailing List by sending a message to:
wp4newbs-request@freelists.org with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by
visiting the list page at http://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs
& check out my sites at
www.brighter-vision.com<http://www.brighter-vision.com> &
www.mysitesbeenhacked.com<http://www.mysitesbeenhacked.com>







Re: An important message about Microsoft Windows 10 updates

Lino Morales
 

Well yes. I don’t or never have fudged with Safe Mode and I probably never will. That’s for the uber geeks out here, but you can run Narrator in said mode. Note you have to have a USB headset and/or an external sound card.

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Sent from Mail for Windows 10

                                                                                                               

 


From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Jackie <abletec@...>
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 6:14:52 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] An important message about Microsoft Windows 10 updates
 
You've gotta be able to boot to a certain point first in order to do
that, Lino. Even in safe mode, if you can't enable sound via registry
fixes suggested here, you are, to put none too fine a point on it,
screwed.

On 3/13/19, Lino Morales <linomorales001@...> wrote:
> Well you can restore or I should reset a PC with W 10 with Narrator.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>                                                          Sent from
> Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10
>
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Jackie
> <abletec@...>
> Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 5:56:33 PM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [nvda] An important message about Microsoft Windows 10 updates
>
> But, as I suspect you already know, Brian V, catastrophic failure for
> a blind person & catastrophic failure for a sighted person are 2 very
> different things, if only because it can be difficult to restore the
> computer when there's no speech. Rather like you trying to use 1 w/a
> broken monitor (& no speech, lol). Apps like Seeing AI can give you
> some idea of what's onscreen, but generally not enough to be useful in
> terms of selecting items etc. & sighted help, particularly competent
> sighted help,isn't always easy to get. But yes--you're absolutely
> right--backups are quintessential.
>
> On 3/13/19, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 04:28 PM, Gene wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> I suppose that beyond a certain point, the process wouldn't be able to
>>> run
>>> but I don't recall hearing of updates doing that much damage, although I
>>> suppose its possible in rare, perhaps very rare cases.
>>
>> And that's exactly what it is.   In the very early days of the 1809
>> rollout,
>> there were some cases of catastrophic damage, and that's why 1809 was
>> virtually pulled, for all practical intents and purposes, and when it was
>> re-issued the speed of rollout was glacially slow for months.  In this
>> age
>> of system health telemetry catastrophic failures are generally detected
>> within hours, a day at most, and immediate action to stop things can (and
>> has) occurred.
>>
>> I have grown very, very weary of the claims that each and every Microsoft
>> update, including feature updates, should be viewed with trepidation and
>> an
>> expectation that it will cause things to get badly hosed.   That is the
>> very
>> rare exception, which, of course, doesn't really matter if it happens to
>> you.
>>
>> It also points out, again, that if you (any you) care about your data
>> that
>> you absolutely must be taking backups.  There are all sorts of things
>> that
>> can cause a PC to crash, the most common of which is HDD failure.  But it
>> doesn't matter what the root cause might be, really.  If you follow a
>> backup
>> protocol and take routine backups you can restore a system in minutes
>> right
>> back to the state it was in when the most recent backup was taken (or
>> further back in time if you keep several).   Backing up is absolutely the
>> cheapest and easiest insurance anyone can have as far as making recovery
>> from catastrophic failure as easy as it can be.
>>
>> If ever the old saw, "By failing to plan you plan to fail," applies it
>> relates to taking full system image backups, plus separate user data
>> backups, for personal computers (and not just those running Windows).
>>
>> --
>>
>> Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763
>>
>> *A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need
>> for
>> illusion is deep.*
>>
>>           ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
> --
> Subscribe to a WordPress for Newbies Mailing List by sending a message to:
> wp4newbs-request@... with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by
> visiting the list page at http://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs
> & check out my sites at
> www.brighter-vision.com<http://www.brighter-vision.com> &
> www.mysitesbeenhacked.com<http://www.mysitesbeenhacked.com>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>


--
Subscribe to a WordPress for Newbies Mailing List by sending a message to:
wp4newbs-request@... with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by
visiting the list page at http://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs
& check out my sites at www.brighter-vision.com & www.mysitesbeenhacked.com