Date   

Re: Seeing AI for NVDA, Windows 10 or both?

Oliver Edholm
 

I recently released something similar to what you're talking about, it's called "Image describer" and is an NVDA add-on. The shortcut to get a description for an image is NVDA+Control+I. The add-on can be downloaded at http://www.screenreader.ai/


Re: listing open windows with NVDA

Sean Murphy
 

Thanks for the keystroke, I had forgotten that keystroke. I wonder if it will help with floating windows. I will test it at work next time.

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jacob Kruger
Sent: Friday, 15 March 2019 4:44 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] listing open windows with NVDA

 

Standard, under windows 10 anyway is windows key + tab key = brings up a list of open windows that you can arrow left and right through, but, this is not NVDA-specific at all.

 

Stay well


Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
"...resistance is futile...but, acceptance is versatile..."

On 2019-03-15 6:30 AM, marcio via Groups.Io wrote:

If I'm not going wrong, there was an add-on that would allow us to see all the windows opened at the time, including, I think, those you are talking about.

I don't remember the add-on's name, though. Sorry :(


Cheers,
Marcio

AKA Starboy


Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 13/03/2019 04:48, mhysnm1964@... escreveu:

All,

 

How do you find floating windows with NVDA other than using the object nav? In Jaws there is a hot key that shows all open app and windows. I cannot find a similar command.

 

A floating window for those who might not know the terminology. Is a window that is open by a program and is not attached to the program and some of them are not even attached to the application ring (alt tab). If the program does not place the focus correctly into the window. Then you cannot access the window by the keyboard. Thus the workaround which Jaws provides of listing all the windows helps here.

 

Hope someone can help.

 

Second question, just thought of. Are you able to remap keys in NVDA?

 


Re: image describer addon for NVDA

Lenron
 

This is pretty cool. What I am wondering about is if you feed this
thing pictures will it learn what items are and get better? Like a
chair book car even car type would be nice. I would love this for many
many pictures if it did that. Also it would be cool if machine
learning could tell us what things are in non described videos. That
will be the day.

On 3/15/19, Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@roadrunner.com> wrote:
Hi Ivan,


Did you try it with capchas and if so how did it work?


On 3/14/2019 5:47 PM, Ivan pivac wrote:

Hi Everyone,


I installed the image app and found it worked extremely well. The
download and installation was seemless.  Although I'll need to use it
more, to establish its capabilities, my immediate impression is that
the add on is a very useful tool for us.



Cheers


Ivan

On 15/03/2019 10:35 AM, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:

hi


it also does not show under the nvda user configuration directory as
a add on either. so I am guessing it just did not install unless it
was compatible with this version.


Did any one get it to work in earlier versions of nvda? and if so how
did you do it?

Was it just a matter of installing the add on and using the shortcut
or did you have to sign up so you could use it?


I did a while ago see reference to this add on which did have more
information but do not know where it has gone.


Gene nz


On 15/03/2019 10:23 AM, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:

Hi


Just tried it. It does not show up under the add on manager as a add
on so apart from the shortcut given on one of the pages there is no
real way to see if there are any steps missed to make it work. it
also does not show up any where else. has any one else got it to
work? If it does work it will need to be updated so it works with
the latest version of nvda.


I just got to remember how to remove the ones with out it be shown
in the add on manager. maybe more info can be found under the
explore user configuration directory i think it is called.


Gene nz


Gene nz


On 15/03/2019 6:24 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 01:12 PM, abdul muhamin wrote:


https://www.reddit.com/r/Blind/comments/b11tcr/image_describer_nvda_addon/

For some reason that link didn't "linkify" in your original
message, so I'm repeating it here.  The actual download page for
the add on is listed here: http://www.screenreader.ai/

This topic is again giving me the chance to call on the powers that
be that control the NVDA Add-Ons pages to create a third one under
the hierarchy:  Community Developed but Unvetted.   There are scads
of NVDA Add-Ons that get mentioned in passing over time and I have
little doubt that a number of the individuals who've developed same
would jump at the chance to have their work listed in a central
repository just like the Stable Add-Ons and Add-Ons Under
Development pages at https://addons.nvda-project.org/index.en.html.
 It can be made perfectly clear by the chosen page title or text at
the top of said page that use of these add-ons is entirely "at your
own risk" and they have not passed any official vetting process.
 So many of them are just great, and work just fine.   A mechanism
on that page should also exist for reporting back if something has
broken, not because those maintaining the page will fix the add-on
itself, but it might be noted and/or delisted entirely if that
persists.


--

Brian *-*Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763

*/A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when
the need for illusion is deep./*

          ~ Saul Bellow, /To Jerusalem and Back/
--
Image NVDA certified expert
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related
material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net

Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of
the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one
of their computers. To find out which location (or locations) are
nearest to you please visit
http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries
(Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find out which software is
installed on the APNK network please visit the following
linkhttp://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/software To find out
how to use NVDA on APNK computers please visit the following
linkhttp://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/nvda

To find out which software is available on the Christchurch City
Library network, and how to start the NVDA screen reader, please go
to the following links. Software available
https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/faq/computers/#faq_5884How
to start the NVDA screen reader on Christchurch City Library
computers
https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/faqs/what-screen-reader-software-is-available/

To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the
following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The
certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified
individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully
passed the NVDA expert exam.
--
Image NVDA certified expert
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related
material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net

Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the
APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of
their computers. To find out which location (or locations) are
nearest to you please visit
http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries
(Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find out which software is
installed on the APNK network please visit the following
linkhttp://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/software To find out
how to use NVDA on APNK computers please visit the following
linkhttp://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/nvda

To find out which software is available on the Christchurch City
Library network, and how to start the NVDA screen reader, please go
to the following links. Software available
https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/faq/computers/#faq_5884How
to start the NVDA screen reader on Christchurch City Library
computers
https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/faqs/what-screen-reader-software-is-available/

To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following
link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page
contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around
the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.
--
--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"




--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832
Skype: ron.brown762


Re: NVDA labeling controls guide for developers?

Sean Murphy
 

J,

My suggestion is to point the developer to Microsoft UIA documentation. This is where they will find a wealth of information. Assuming they are developing a native windows app, not web. If Web, then W3C WCAG guidelines.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joshua Tubbs
Sent: Friday, 15 March 2019 6:20 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA labeling controls guide for developers?

Hi all,

I'm not a developer myself, but I'm in communication with a developer trying to make his app accessible, and isn't having much luck labeling his controls to read using NVDA.

Can anyone point me to a guide on how to do this in general? This is the first time he's trying to make his controls accessible, so help for all screen readers would be helpful, not just NVDA.

Thanks.


Re: image describer addon for NVDA

Ron Canazzi
 

Hi Ivan,


Did you try it with capchas and if so how did it work?


On 3/14/2019 5:47 PM, Ivan pivac wrote:

Hi Everyone,


I installed the image app and found it worked extremely well.  The download and installation was seemless.  Although I'll need to use it more, to establish its capabilities, my immediate impression is that the add on is a very useful tool for us. 



Cheers


Ivan

On 15/03/2019 10:35 AM, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:

hi


it also does not show under the nvda user configuration directory as a add on either. so I am guessing it just did not install unless it was compatible with this version.


Did any one get it to work in earlier versions of nvda? and if so how did you do it?

Was it just a matter of installing the add on and using the shortcut or did you have to sign up so you could use it?


I did a while ago see reference to this add on which did have more information but do not know where it has gone.


Gene nz


On 15/03/2019 10:23 AM, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:

Hi


Just tried it. It does not show up under the add on manager as a add on so apart from the shortcut given on one of the pages there is no real way to see if there are any steps missed to make it work. it also does not show up any where else. has any one else got it to work? If it does work it will need to be updated so it works with the latest version of nvda.


I just got to remember how to remove the ones with out it be shown in the add on manager. maybe more info can be found under the explore user configuration directory i think it is called.


Gene nz


Gene nz


On 15/03/2019 6:24 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 01:12 PM, abdul muhamin wrote:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Blind/comments/b11tcr/image_describer_nvda_addon/
For some reason that link didn't "linkify" in your original message, so I'm repeating it here.  The actual download page for the add on is listed here:  http://www.screenreader.ai/ 

This topic is again giving me the chance to call on the powers that be that control the NVDA Add-Ons pages to create a third one under the hierarchy:  Community Developed but Unvetted.   There are scads of NVDA Add-Ons that get mentioned in passing over time and I have little doubt that a number of the individuals who've developed same would jump at the chance to have their work listed in a central repository just like the Stable Add-Ons and Add-Ons Under Development pages at https://addons.nvda-project.org/index.en.html.   It can be made perfectly clear by the chosen page title or text at the top of said page that use of these add-ons is entirely "at your own risk" and they have not passed any official vetting process.   So many of them are just great, and work just fine.   A mechanism on that page should also exist for reporting back if something has broken, not because those maintaining the page will fix the add-on itself, but it might be noted and/or delisted entirely if that persists.

 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

 

 

--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net
 
Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which location (or locations) are nearest to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find out which software is installed on the APNK network please visit the following link http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/software To find out how to use NVDA on APNK computers please visit the following link http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/nvda
 
To find out which software is available on the Christchurch City Library network, and how to start the NVDA screen reader, please go to the following links. Software available  https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/faq/computers/#faq_5884  How to start the NVDA screen reader on Christchurch City Library computers  https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/faqs/what-screen-reader-software-is-available/
 
To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net
 
Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which location (or locations) are nearest to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find out which software is installed on the APNK network please visit the following link http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/software To find out how to use NVDA on APNK computers please visit the following link http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/nvda
 
To find out which software is available on the Christchurch City Library network, and how to start the NVDA screen reader, please go to the following links. Software available  https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/faq/computers/#faq_5884  How to start the NVDA screen reader on Christchurch City Library computers  https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/faqs/what-screen-reader-software-is-available/
 
To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

-- 
-- 
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"


Re: listing open windows with NVDA

 

No, actually I was talking about another add-on, which I really can't remember the name right now.

But if we ever had this option built-in to NVDA it would be quite nice indeed.


Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 15/03/2019 02:00, Gerardo Corripio escreveu:

SisTray isn’t the one you’re trying to think of its name? With this one, NVDA+F11 twice brings up the Task ist, but I don’t think this is what is being wanted to be done? What’s wanted to be done is like Jaws’s Jaws+F10, which would be an awesome feature to have!

Gera
Enviado desde mi iPhone SE de Telcel

El 14 mar 2019, a la(s) 10:30 p. m., marcio via Groups.Io <marcinhorj21@...> escribió:

If I'm not going wrong, there was an add-on that would allow us to see all the windows opened at the time, including, I think, those you are talking about.

I don't remember the add-on's name, though. Sorry :(


Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 13/03/2019 04:48, mhysnm1964@... escreveu:

All,

 

How do you find floating windows with NVDA other than using the object nav? In Jaws there is a hot key that shows all open app and windows. I cannot find a similar command.

 

A floating window for those who might not know the terminology. Is a window that is open by a program and is not attached to the program and some of them are not even attached to the application ring (alt tab). If the program does not place the focus correctly into the window. Then you cannot access the window by the keyboard. Thus the workaround which Jaws provides of listing all the windows helps here.

 

Hope someone can help.

 

Second question, just thought of. Are you able to remap keys in NVDA?

 


Re: listing open windows with NVDA

Jacob Kruger
 

Standard, under windows 10 anyway is windows key + tab key = brings up a list of open windows that you can arrow left and right through, but, this is not NVDA-specific at all.


Stay well


Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
"...resistance is futile...but, acceptance is versatile..."

On 2019-03-15 6:30 AM, marcio via Groups.Io wrote:

If I'm not going wrong, there was an add-on that would allow us to see all the windows opened at the time, including, I think, those you are talking about.

I don't remember the add-on's name, though. Sorry :(


Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 13/03/2019 04:48, mhysnm1964@... escreveu:

All,

 

How do you find floating windows with NVDA other than using the object nav? In Jaws there is a hot key that shows all open app and windows. I cannot find a similar command.

 

A floating window for those who might not know the terminology. Is a window that is open by a program and is not attached to the program and some of them are not even attached to the application ring (alt tab). If the program does not place the focus correctly into the window. Then you cannot access the window by the keyboard. Thus the workaround which Jaws provides of listing all the windows helps here.

 

Hope someone can help.

 

Second question, just thought of. Are you able to remap keys in NVDA?

 


Re: listing open windows with NVDA

Gerardo Corripio
 

SisTray isn’t the one you’re trying to think of its name? With this one, NVDA+F11 twice brings up the Task ist, but I don’t think this is what is being wanted to be done? What’s wanted to be done is like Jaws’s Jaws+F10, which would be an awesome feature to have!

Gera
Enviado desde mi iPhone SE de Telcel

El 14 mar 2019, a la(s) 10:30 p. m., marcio via Groups.Io <marcinhorj21@...> escribió:

If I'm not going wrong, there was an add-on that would allow us to see all the windows opened at the time, including, I think, those you are talking about.

I don't remember the add-on's name, though. Sorry :(


Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 13/03/2019 04:48, mhysnm1964@... escreveu:

All,

 

How do you find floating windows with NVDA other than using the object nav? In Jaws there is a hot key that shows all open app and windows. I cannot find a similar command.

 

A floating window for those who might not know the terminology. Is a window that is open by a program and is not attached to the program and some of them are not even attached to the application ring (alt tab). If the program does not place the focus correctly into the window. Then you cannot access the window by the keyboard. Thus the workaround which Jaws provides of listing all the windows helps here.

 

Hope someone can help.

 

Second question, just thought of. Are you able to remap keys in NVDA?

 


Re: requesting link to chat group

 

In case nobody came up with the address to the Blindtech list, it is blindtech+subscribe@groups.io.



Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 12/03/2019 13:06, Gene escreveu:

Perhaps there is more than one group with a similar name.  The Blindtech group, that is just named Blindtech is active.  I estimate I get about forty or fifty messages a day. 
 
I don't have the exact subscription address.  If someone doesn't send it, I'll check.
 
There is another similar list, Techtalk. 
 
To join, send a blank e-mail to:
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 10:51 AM
Subject: [nvda] requesting link to chat group

Can anyone provide the link to the chat group? I have few tech questions, not realted to NVDA. I tried the Blind tech group, but it's not very active.
--
Regards,
Sociohack


Re: a way to lock the nvda key?

 

I actually was thinking about a way for making this add-on or whatever it may be.

I have concluded that if an add-on can keep an eye on the user's keyboard and commands they type, it's just a matter of, if it's on, each time such user press a valid key to perform any NVDA action, it would add the NVDA key to the command.

I don't know if it's possible nor if it's easy as I just described, though, as I'm not a developer. But that's my two cents :)


Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 14/03/2019 23:36, Travis Siegel escreveu:

I didn't mean the enter key on the number pad, I meant the enter key on the main keyboard, but regardless, it was just a suggestion, any key combination will do.

On 3/14/2019 7:21 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

I thought nvda enter did somethingn already, or am I getting my views confused? It's ben a very very long day, and it's not yet over . Lol!

On 14 Mar 2019, at 14:49, Travis Siegel wrote:

It really wouldn't be that difficult for the developers to add a simple toggle (maybe something like nvda-enter), that would simply act like the nvda key was down no matter what other key you hit.  If I can find this numlock add-on, perhaps I'll hack that to do this myself.  I'm an experienced programmer, but python is not my language of choice, and NVDA specifically is not a program to which I have familarized myself with it's source code, so having samples of something to see how it's done would make creating a different add-on to toggle the nvda key into always on mode wouldn't be that hard at that point, but this is something one of the regular NVDA developers would have little trouble completing.  Perhaps an enhancement request should be submitted, and someone could add it as time permits.

On 3/14/2019 1:37 PM, Gene wrote:
How would you lock it, however, without using sticky keys in general?  Using sticky keys, you can lock it as you can any sticky key but my understanding is that the desire is to have only that key be locked. 
 
NVDA, if you press the modifier twice, passes the second command to Windows, so if you press insert twice, you have pressed it once, as far as Windows is concerned.  If you press caps lock twice, you lock or unlock caps lock because you have actually passed the keystroke to Windows once.  So some other means of locking the key would be wanted because you wouldn't want to lose that ability.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 12:28 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] a way to lock the nvda key?

Locking the NVDA key is most certainly possible, it has nothing to do
with whether it's a microsoft program or another one, it's just a matter
of keyboard interception, which is something NVDA already does.

On 3/14/2019 12:37 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
> But is this not part of Mac OS to start with? I'm not sure if the
> Windows system allows  external software to act this way. After all
> voice over is an apple program but nvda is not made by Microsoft.
> Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal E-mail to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Sarah k Alawami" <marrie12@...>
> To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 3:40 PM
> Subject: Re: [nvda] a way to lock the nvda key?
>
>
>> I want to lock the modifier what ever that is in terms of nvda. After
>> all, I can  do it in vo with the capslock or the vo keys with one key
>> stroke, all the modifiers are locked no matter what I choose and I can
>> just press let's ssay shift down to interact etc or f to find somethingn
>> or g to find next. Look, one hand. Lol! I want to do this in nvda to
>> make some of the command seaiser especially when I'm doing  a lot  at
>> once.
>>
>> Take care
>>
>> On 14 Mar 2019, at 1:15, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
>>
>>> I think the person wanted it on caps lock but that key is already
>>> multi purpose for caps so adding even more confusion might be a bit
>>> like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire, so to speak.
>>>
>>> This is almost where some kind of hardware device would be handy to
>>> be used to  stick on and turn off a programmed set off keys .
>>> Brian
>>>
>>> bglists@...
>>> Sent via blueyonder.
>>> Please address personal E-mail to:-
>>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
>>> in the display name field.
>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Vogel"
>>> <britechguy@...>
>>> To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
>>> Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 9:05 PM
>>> Subject: Re: [nvda] a way to lock the nvda key?
>>>
>>>
>>> As has already been mentioned, Sticky Keys is toggle-able, and almost
>>> everyone I know who uses it does just that. Even though the default
>>> toggle is five sequential presses of the SHIFT key, that can be done
>>> very quickly.
>>>
>>> The message when toggling says it affects CTRL, SHIFT, ALT, and
>>> WinKey. I just tested it though, with the NumPad Insert when in NVDA
>>> and it was sticky-ing it, too, as you get a tone when that's active.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763
>>>
>>> *A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the
>>> need for illusion is deep.*
>>>
>>> ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>




Virus-free. www.avast.com


Re: a way to lock the nvda key?

 

What's the Numlock add-on? Never heard about such one.


Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 14/03/2019 15:27, Chris via Groups.Io escreveu:

Maybe one of the addon developers can create a addon not too much unlike the num lock addon for example

 

Just a thought

 

 

From: Sarah k Alawami
Sent: 14 March 2019 17:48
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] a way to lock the nvda key?

 

Which is why I'm suggesting g a key stroke to do this. If I hit vo semi it will lock the vo keys. Hitting vo semi again and not just semi will unlock the vo keys. So this should in theory be possible in nvda. Hitting nvda plus something would cause the key to lock, hitting that same key again would cause nvda's modifier to unlock.

 

On 14 Mar 2019, at 10:37, Gene wrote:

How would you lock it, however, without using sticky keys in general?  Using sticky keys, you can lock it as you can any sticky key but my understanding is that the desire is to have only that key be locked. 

 

NVDA, if you press the modifier twice, passes the second command to Windows, so if you press insert twice, you have pressed it once, as far as Windows is concerned.  If you press caps lock twice, you lock or unlock caps lock because you have actually passed the keystroke to Windows once.  So some other means of locking the key would be wanted because you wouldn't want to lose that ability.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 12:28 PM

Subject: Re: [nvda] a way to lock the nvda key?

 

Locking the NVDA key is most certainly possible, it has nothing to do
with whether it's a microsoft program or another one, it's just a matter
of keyboard interception, which is something NVDA already does.

On 3/14/2019 12:37 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
> But is this not part of Mac OS to start with? I'm not sure if the
> Windows system allows  external software to act this way. After all
> voice over is an apple program but nvda is not made by Microsoft.
> Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal E-mail to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Sarah k Alawami" <marrie12@...>
> To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 3:40 PM
> Subject: Re: [nvda] a way to lock the nvda key?
>
>
>> I want to lock the modifier what ever that is in terms of nvda. After
>> all, I can  do it in vo with the capslock or the vo keys with one key
>> stroke, all the modifiers are locked no matter what I choose and I can
>> just press let's ssay shift down to interact etc or f to find somethingn
>> or g to find next. Look, one hand. Lol! I want to do this in nvda to
>> make some of the command seaiser especially when I'm doing  a lot  at
>> once.
>>
>> Take care
>>
>> On 14 Mar 2019, at 1:15, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
>>
>>> I think the person wanted it on caps lock but that key is already
>>> multi purpose for caps so adding even more confusion might be a bit
>>> like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire, so to speak.
>>>
>>> This is almost where some kind of hardware device would be handy to
>>> be used to  stick on and turn off a programmed set off keys .
>>> Brian
>>>
>>> bglists@...
>>> Sent via blueyonder.
>>> Please address personal E-mail to:-
>>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
>>> in the display name field.
>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Vogel"
>>> <britechguy@...>
>>> To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
>>> Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 9:05 PM
>>> Subject: Re: [nvda] a way to lock the nvda key?
>>>
>>>
>>> As has already been mentioned, Sticky Keys is toggle-able, and almost
>>> everyone I know who uses it does just that. Even though the default
>>> toggle is five sequential presses of the SHIFT key, that can be done
>>> very quickly.
>>>
>>> The message when toggling says it affects CTRL, SHIFT, ALT, and
>>> WinKey. I just tested it though, with the NumPad Insert when in NVDA
>>> and it was sticky-ing it, too, as you get a tone when that's active.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763
>>>
>>> *A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the
>>> need for illusion is deep.*
>>>
>>> ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>


 


Re: Firefox add ons managerseems OK now

 

YAY! I can't wait to update it.

I didn't get this update as yet, so hopefully it'll show up. May it be soon, I would say.


Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 14/03/2019 06:24, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io escreveu:

For those having issues in this dialogue it seems to be OK in Firefox 66 beta, as I just installed it and the  listbox works correctly again, indeed the other issue of sometimes truncating the add on name seems better as well. I tested the 64 bit version.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.





Re: listing open windows with NVDA

 

If I'm not going wrong, there was an add-on that would allow us to see all the windows opened at the time, including, I think, those you are talking about.

I don't remember the add-on's name, though. Sorry :(


Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 13/03/2019 04:48, mhysnm1964@... escreveu:

All,

 

How do you find floating windows with NVDA other than using the object nav? In Jaws there is a hot key that shows all open app and windows. I cannot find a similar command.

 

A floating window for those who might not know the terminology. Is a window that is open by a program and is not attached to the program and some of them are not even attached to the application ring (alt tab). If the program does not place the focus correctly into the window. Then you cannot access the window by the keyboard. Thus the workaround which Jaws provides of listing all the windows helps here.

 

Hope someone can help.

 

Second question, just thought of. Are you able to remap keys in NVDA?

 


Re: NV Access at CSUN

Arlene
 

Hi I hope so as well!

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Rosemarie Chavarria
Sent: March 14, 2019 6:04 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NV Access at CSUN

 

I hope there will be.

 

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: enes sarıbaş
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 4:02 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NV Access at CSUN

 

hi,

Will there be audio archives of this presentation?

On 3/10/2019 1:36 AM, Quentin Christensen wrote:

Hi everyone,

 

We're away at the CSUN conference in Anaheim, California for the next week.  If anyone is going, we're presenting and would love to see you:

 

           Title: NVDA: Updates, new features and the 2019 Outlook

           Date:  Wednesday, March 13, 2019

           Time: 9:00 AM

           Location: Grand Ballroom G&H

 

Otherwise, I'll be back in a week and a bit to catch up on the group.

 

Regards

 

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

 

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

 

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 

 

 


Seeing AI for NVDA, Windows 10 or both?

Kwork
 

As the Seeing AI app for the iPhone is a Microsoft product, I wonder if there is an equivalent, either as an NVDA add-on, or through using the Windows 10 operating system somehow, either through a store app or something built-in that NVDA or narrator can access, to describe photos. I've had almost no success using the NVDA+r command to OCR the current screen to do so, so wondered if there were more advanced options available as the iPhone app works reasonably well for what it is.

Thanks.

Travis


Re: Nvda and the International phonetic Alphabet, (IPA)

 

Enes,

        The way I read the open issue is that the function of reading a phonetic transcription as it sounds is what's wanted.  It's not 100% clear, but strongly suggested.

        The way I read the request here is to read a phonetic transcription not as it sounds, but broken into atomic units, and not by sound, but by character name of each phoneme (not the sound of the phoneme itself).  Very much more akin to reading words letter by letter, but where each letter is the IPA character name (or description, as vowels are generally described rather than named).
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

 

 


Re: Why does NVDA say torado instead of tornado?

 

I don't know how it may vary by synth, but even lowercase 'nvda' is not pronounced letter by letter like uppercase is.  I've tweaked that via default dictionary to avoid being driven around the bend.  

At least the computer-based screen readers all (though I haven't yet played "under the hood" with Narrator) give a pretty direct mechanism to fix what needs fixing whether generally or for a specific synth.   I've done no deep diving on smartphone based screen reader configuration.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

 

 


Re: a way to lock the nvda key?

Sarah k Alawami
 

Yep yep. I use the nvda regular enter to execute an action in object nav, but yeah I'm sue someone can come up with something. Im too tired right now to think as my sleep aid is, well, putting me to sleep for the night.

On 14 Mar 2019, at 19:36, Travis Siegel wrote:

I didn't mean the enter key on the number pad, I meant the enter key on the main keyboard, but regardless, it was just a suggestion, any key combination will do.

On 3/14/2019 7:21 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

I thought nvda enter did somethingn already, or am I getting my views confused? It's ben a very very long day, and it's not yet over . Lol!

On 14 Mar 2019, at 14:49, Travis Siegel wrote:

It really wouldn't be that difficult for the developers to add a simple toggle (maybe something like nvda-enter), that would simply act like the nvda key was down no matter what other key you hit.  If I can find this numlock add-on, perhaps I'll hack that to do this myself.  I'm an experienced programmer, but python is not my language of choice, and NVDA specifically is not a program to which I have familarized myself with it's source code, so having samples of something to see how it's done would make creating a different add-on to toggle the nvda key into always on mode wouldn't be that hard at that point, but this is something one of the regular NVDA developers would have little trouble completing.  Perhaps an enhancement request should be submitted, and someone could add it as time permits.

On 3/14/2019 1:37 PM, Gene wrote:
How would you lock it, however, without using sticky keys in general?  Using sticky keys, you can lock it as you can any sticky key but my understanding is that the desire is to have only that key be locked. 
 
NVDA, if you press the modifier twice, passes the second command to Windows, so if you press insert twice, you have pressed it once, as far as Windows is concerned.  If you press caps lock twice, you lock or unlock caps lock because you have actually passed the keystroke to Windows once.  So some other means of locking the key would be wanted because you wouldn't want to lose that ability.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 12:28 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] a way to lock the nvda key?

Locking the NVDA key is most certainly possible, it has nothing to do
with whether it's a microsoft program or another one, it's just a matter
of keyboard interception, which is something NVDA already does.

On 3/14/2019 12:37 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
> But is this not part of Mac OS to start with? I'm not sure if the
> Windows system allows  external software to act this way. After all
> voice over is an apple program but nvda is not made by Microsoft.
> Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal E-mail to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Sarah k Alawami" <marrie12@...>
> To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 3:40 PM
> Subject: Re: [nvda] a way to lock the nvda key?
>
>
>> I want to lock the modifier what ever that is in terms of nvda. After
>> all, I can  do it in vo with the capslock or the vo keys with one key
>> stroke, all the modifiers are locked no matter what I choose and I can
>> just press let's ssay shift down to interact etc or f to find somethingn
>> or g to find next. Look, one hand. Lol! I want to do this in nvda to
>> make some of the command seaiser especially when I'm doing  a lot  at
>> once.
>>
>> Take care
>>
>> On 14 Mar 2019, at 1:15, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
>>
>>> I think the person wanted it on caps lock but that key is already
>>> multi purpose for caps so adding even more confusion might be a bit
>>> like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire, so to speak.
>>>
>>> This is almost where some kind of hardware device would be handy to
>>> be used to  stick on and turn off a programmed set off keys .
>>> Brian
>>>
>>> bglists@...
>>> Sent via blueyonder.
>>> Please address personal E-mail to:-
>>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
>>> in the display name field.
>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Vogel"
>>> <britechguy@...>
>>> To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
>>> Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 9:05 PM
>>> Subject: Re: [nvda] a way to lock the nvda key?
>>>
>>>
>>> As has already been mentioned, Sticky Keys is toggle-able, and almost
>>> everyone I know who uses it does just that. Even though the default
>>> toggle is five sequential presses of the SHIFT key, that can be done
>>> very quickly.
>>>
>>> The message when toggling says it affects CTRL, SHIFT, ALT, and
>>> WinKey. I just tested it though, with the NumPad Insert when in NVDA
>>> and it was sticky-ing it, too, as you get a tone when that's active.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763
>>>
>>> *A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the
>>> need for illusion is deep.*
>>>
>>> ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>




Virus-free. www.avast.com


Re: Why does NVDA say torado instead of tornado?

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>
 

I haven't noticed this behavior on NVDA, but the iPhone does this all the time, and it irritates the hell out of me.

On 3/14/2019 7:43 PM, Sile via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi, why does NVDA say to Rado when the word tornado is capitalized but tornado when it is not?

Sile



Re: a way to lock the nvda key?

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>
 

I didn't mean the enter key on the number pad, I meant the enter key on the main keyboard, but regardless, it was just a suggestion, any key combination will do.

On 3/14/2019 7:21 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

I thought nvda enter did somethingn already, or am I getting my views confused? It's ben a very very long day, and it's not yet over . Lol!

On 14 Mar 2019, at 14:49, Travis Siegel wrote:

It really wouldn't be that difficult for the developers to add a simple toggle (maybe something like nvda-enter), that would simply act like the nvda key was down no matter what other key you hit.  If I can find this numlock add-on, perhaps I'll hack that to do this myself.  I'm an experienced programmer, but python is not my language of choice, and NVDA specifically is not a program to which I have familarized myself with it's source code, so having samples of something to see how it's done would make creating a different add-on to toggle the nvda key into always on mode wouldn't be that hard at that point, but this is something one of the regular NVDA developers would have little trouble completing.  Perhaps an enhancement request should be submitted, and someone could add it as time permits.

On 3/14/2019 1:37 PM, Gene wrote:
How would you lock it, however, without using sticky keys in general?  Using sticky keys, you can lock it as you can any sticky key but my understanding is that the desire is to have only that key be locked. 
 
NVDA, if you press the modifier twice, passes the second command to Windows, so if you press insert twice, you have pressed it once, as far as Windows is concerned.  If you press caps lock twice, you lock or unlock caps lock because you have actually passed the keystroke to Windows once.  So some other means of locking the key would be wanted because you wouldn't want to lose that ability.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 12:28 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] a way to lock the nvda key?

Locking the NVDA key is most certainly possible, it has nothing to do
with whether it's a microsoft program or another one, it's just a matter
of keyboard interception, which is something NVDA already does.

On 3/14/2019 12:37 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
> But is this not part of Mac OS to start with? I'm not sure if the
> Windows system allows  external software to act this way. After all
> voice over is an apple program but nvda is not made by Microsoft.
> Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal E-mail to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Sarah k Alawami" <marrie12@...>
> To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 3:40 PM
> Subject: Re: [nvda] a way to lock the nvda key?
>
>
>> I want to lock the modifier what ever that is in terms of nvda. After
>> all, I can  do it in vo with the capslock or the vo keys with one key
>> stroke, all the modifiers are locked no matter what I choose and I can
>> just press let's ssay shift down to interact etc or f to find somethingn
>> or g to find next. Look, one hand. Lol! I want to do this in nvda to
>> make some of the command seaiser especially when I'm doing  a lot  at
>> once.
>>
>> Take care
>>
>> On 14 Mar 2019, at 1:15, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
>>
>>> I think the person wanted it on caps lock but that key is already
>>> multi purpose for caps so adding even more confusion might be a bit
>>> like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire, so to speak.
>>>
>>> This is almost where some kind of hardware device would be handy to
>>> be used to  stick on and turn off a programmed set off keys .
>>> Brian
>>>
>>> bglists@...
>>> Sent via blueyonder.
>>> Please address personal E-mail to:-
>>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
>>> in the display name field.
>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Vogel"
>>> <britechguy@...>
>>> To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
>>> Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 9:05 PM
>>> Subject: Re: [nvda] a way to lock the nvda key?
>>>
>>>
>>> As has already been mentioned, Sticky Keys is toggle-able, and almost
>>> everyone I know who uses it does just that. Even though the default
>>> toggle is five sequential presses of the SHIFT key, that can be done
>>> very quickly.
>>>
>>> The message when toggling says it affects CTRL, SHIFT, ALT, and
>>> WinKey. I just tested it though, with the NumPad Insert when in NVDA
>>> and it was sticky-ing it, too, as you get a tone when that's active.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763
>>>
>>> *A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the
>>> need for illusion is deep.*
>>>
>>> ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>




Virus-free. www.avast.com