Date   

Re: Extra Talk

Howard Traxler <howard@...>
 

OK Roger, I was being a bit lazy.  Found it in the manual.  I'll see how it goes.


Thanks.

Howard

On 6/18/2019 10:38 AM, Roger Stewart wrote:
Open nvda menu, then preferences, settings, and then go down to Document Formatting. In there is the reporting of tables which you can check or uncheck. I would create a configuration profile for the particular application you want first and then go in and change the announcement of tables just for that program. This way, tables you might want to know about will still be announced. I've turned this off in Thunderbird as I was getting some table announcements that seemed meaningless to me. Tables are now not spoken in Thunderbird, but they are announced in other programs.
Hope this helps.
Roger












On 6/18/2019 9:46 AM, Howard Traxler wrote:
Hell oh anybody,

How does one turn off the voicing of tables, columns, and rows on a web site or e-mail?  I keep getting something that has tables with one row and one column.  No text in there.  But it keeps saying the table, row, column info with no real information.  I'd like to turn off those announcements and just hear nothing; if nothing is what's in there..


Thanks.


Howard







Re: Extra Talk

Howard Traxler <howard@...>
 

Thanks Roger, then, can you tell me the steps to make a configuration profile?  It should be simple, but I just can't remember.


Thanks.

Howard

On 6/18/2019 10:38 AM, Roger Stewart wrote:
Open nvda menu, then preferences, settings, and then go down to Document Formatting. In there is the reporting of tables which you can check or uncheck. I would create a configuration profile for the particular application you want first and then go in and change the announcement of tables just for that program. This way, tables you might want to know about will still be announced. I've turned this off in Thunderbird as I was getting some table announcements that seemed meaningless to me. Tables are now not spoken in Thunderbird, but they are announced in other programs.
Hope this helps.
Roger












On 6/18/2019 9:46 AM, Howard Traxler wrote:
Hell oh anybody,

How does one turn off the voicing of tables, columns, and rows on a web site or e-mail?  I keep getting something that has tables with one row and one column.  No text in there.  But it keeps saying the table, row, column info with no real information.  I'd like to turn off those announcements and just hear nothing; if nothing is what's in there..


Thanks.


Howard







Re: Extra Talk

Roger Stewart
 

Open nvda menu, then preferences, settings, and then go down to Document Formatting. In there is the reporting of tables which you can check or uncheck. I would create a configuration profile for the particular application you want first and then go in and change the announcement of tables just for that program. This way, tables you might want to know about will still be announced. I've turned this off in Thunderbird as I was getting some table announcements that seemed meaningless to me. Tables are now not spoken in Thunderbird, but they are announced in other programs.
Hope this helps.
Roger

On 6/18/2019 9:46 AM, Howard Traxler wrote:
Hell oh anybody,

How does one turn off the voicing of tables, columns, and rows on a web site or e-mail?  I keep getting something that has  tables with one row and one column.  No text in there.  But it keeps saying the table, row, column info with no real information.  I'd like to turn off those announcements and just hear nothing; if nothing is what's in there..


Thanks.


Howard




Re: Improving Latency and Heading Functionalities in Word Processors

Akshaya Choudhary
 

 Hello,
Which synthesiser are you using? One Core and Microsoft SAPI are much slower comparatively. I find Eloquence and Espeak the fastest. Also, where can I find gesture timing add-on?

Regards
--
Regards,
Sociohack


Extra Talk

Howard Traxler <howard@...>
 

Hell oh anybody,

How does one turn off the voicing of tables, columns, and rows on a web site or e-mail?  I keep getting something that has  tables with one row and one column.  No text in there.  But it keeps saying the table, row, column info with no real information.  I'd like to turn off those announcements and just hear nothing; if nothing is what's in there..


Thanks.


Howard


Re: Getting more voices for NvDA

Quentin Christensen
 

Hi Bill,

Here's our page with info on extra voices: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/wiki/ExtraVoices

Note, if you are using Windows 10 and want extra Windows OneCore voices, the way to do it is to go into your Speech Settings and add voices there (you need to install languages and the speech pack for the language.  Many have variants through, so for English, you have British English, US English, Australian English, Canadian, Irish, South African etc.)

Regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 9:39 AM Bill and Marie Johnson <bj1951@...> wrote:
Hi list.  Could somebody please give me the menu path where I can get
more voices for NVDA   Much appreciated.  Bill
--

Bill R Johnson Come join me at either list below

MemoriesOfDaysGoneBy+subscribe@groups.io

HelpNeededList+subscribe@groups.io


y





--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

NVDA 2019.2beta1 now available!


Re: Getting more voices for NvDA

Gene
 

I forgot to give the link for the page.
 

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2019 10:19 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Getting more voices for NvDA

I'm not sure just what you want.  There is a page on Github, that discusses a lot of voices.  The thing it didn't discuss when I looked a few months ago is the SAPI version of Eloquence you can buy.  It does discuss the Eloquence add-on, which offers another synthesizer as well.  But unless this has changed, the Eloquence that comes with it has a lot of annoying artifacts.  If you want Eloquence, ask here about the SAPI version.  You may want to try the add-on to see if it has been improved, it has or runs as a demo, I don't remember which, but if the Eloquence isn't satisfactory, you can ask and find out more about the SAPI version here.  It has a demo.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2019 6:38 PM
Subject: [nvda] Adding voices to NVDa

Hi list.  Could somebody please give me the menu path where I can get
more voices for NVDA   Much appreciated.  Bill
--

Bill R Johnson Come join me at either list below

MemoriesOfDaysGoneBy+subscribe@groups.io

HelpNeededList+subscribe@groups.io


y



Re: Getting more voices for NvDA

Gene
 

I'm not sure just what you want.  There is a page on Github, that discusses a lot of voices.  The thing it didn't discuss when I looked a few months ago is the SAPI version of Eloquence you can buy.  It does discuss the Eloquence add-on, which offers another synthesizer as well.  But unless this has changed, the Eloquence that comes with it has a lot of annoying artifacts.  If you want Eloquence, ask here about the SAPI version.  You may want to try the add-on to see if it has been improved, it has or runs as a demo, I don't remember which, but if the Eloquence isn't satisfactory, you can ask and find out more about the SAPI version here.  It has a demo.
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2019 6:38 PM
Subject: [nvda] Adding voices to NVDa

Hi list.  Could somebody please give me the menu path where I can get
more voices for NVDA   Much appreciated.  Bill
--

Bill R Johnson Come join me at either list below

MemoriesOfDaysGoneBy+subscribe@groups.io

HelpNeededList+subscribe@groups.io


y



Re: Improving Latency and Heading Functionalities in Word Processors

Cristóbal
 

I know as mainly a Jaws user, disabling hardware acceleration in Word/Outlook helps. Give that and
disable anything else having to do with animations and stuff a try.
For example.
Disable hardware graphics acceleration check box checked
Play animated GIFs check box not checked
I really don’t' use NVDA a lot while in a word processor setting so don't know if it's at all more or less resource hungry than Jaws per say, but as an overall rule, I try to cut down on as much visual stuff where I can.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jason White via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2019 4:16 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io; main <main@techtalk.groups.io>; blindtech <blindtech@groups.io>; keyboardusers <keyboardusers@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [nvda] Improving Latency and Heading Functionalities in Word Processors

Try testing on a machine with a faster processor and more memory. I don't experience these delays, but my machine is a very fast laptop with 4 CPU cores (Intel Xeon), 32GB of memory and a large SSD connected via NVM-Express.

On 6/16/19, 21:32, "Bhavya shah" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of bhavya.shah125@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear all,

I am in a situation of importance with unique requirements, wherein I
basically need to use some form of a word processor to very quickly
type notes, edit them, move them around, and navigate efficiently
between different sections of the document. For this purpose, I have
tried two options - (i) Microsoft Word, and (ii) Wordpad
Pro of MS Word (version 2016): (1), ability to use headings
Con of MS Word: up to 0.3 seconds (measured using Gesture Timing
add-on) of latency in moving line by lines and up to 0.2 seconds of
latency when moving paragraph by paragraph
Pro of Wordpad: very responsive with an average of about 0.05 seconds
of latency in case of both line and paragraph navigation
Con of Wordpad: no feature of heading labelling and navigation by heading

The above minor differences in heading functionality and the slight
differences in latency may seem trivial and negligible for general
use, but my use case requires these characteristics. On ways to
address these, here are a few things I have done:
MS Word: I have disabled document formatting settings like pages,
tables, row/column headers and cell coordinates. Are there any other
document formatting settings whose disabling is known to cause a
reasonably significant improvement in latency? Also, just once, I
tried enabling the “Use UI Automation to access Microsoft Word
document controls when available” option (Advanced category setting in
NVDA) and which experience resulted in a lot of NVDA freezing and
hiccups, as a result of which experience I have not bothered playing
around with it anymore. Would it be advisable to retry this option in
case it is known to produce snappier responsiveness in Word 2016?
Wordpad: I do not believe I can somehow obtain heading functionality
in Wordpad, and even if I somehow do, I am unclear as to how I would
be able to use browse mode single letter navigation to quickly jump by
headings. The things to consider here then become if there may be
other lightweight word processors with less latency than Word and
heading labelling and navigation features.

I would greatly appreciate all your thoughts and inputs on the above.

Thanks.

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Blogger at Hiking Across Horizons: https://bhavyashah125.wordpress.com/
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@gmail.com
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/bhavyashah125/


Getting more voices for NvDA

Bill and Marie Johnson
 

Hi list. Could somebody please give me the menu path where I can get more voices for NVDA Much appreciated. Bill
--

Bill R Johnson Come join me at either list below

MemoriesOfDaysGoneBy+subscribe@groups.io

HelpNeededList+subscribe@groups.io


y


Re: Improving Latency and Heading Functionalities in Word Processors

Jason White
 

Try testing on a machine with a faster processor and more memory. I don't experience these delays, but my machine is a very fast laptop with 4 CPU cores (Intel Xeon), 32GB of memory and a large SSD connected via NVM-Express.

On 6/16/19, 21:32, "Bhavya shah" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of bhavya.shah125@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear all,

I am in a situation of importance with unique requirements, wherein I
basically need to use some form of a word processor to very quickly
type notes, edit them, move them around, and navigate efficiently
between different sections of the document. For this purpose, I have
tried two options - (i) Microsoft Word, and (ii) Wordpad
Pro of MS Word (version 2016): (1), ability to use headings
Con of MS Word: up to 0.3 seconds (measured using Gesture Timing
add-on) of latency in moving line by lines and up to 0.2 seconds of
latency when moving paragraph by paragraph
Pro of Wordpad: very responsive with an average of about 0.05 seconds
of latency in case of both line and paragraph navigation
Con of Wordpad: no feature of heading labelling and navigation by heading

The above minor differences in heading functionality and the slight
differences in latency may seem trivial and negligible for general
use, but my use case requires these characteristics. On ways to
address these, here are a few things I have done:
MS Word: I have disabled document formatting settings like pages,
tables, row/column headers and cell coordinates. Are there any other
document formatting settings whose disabling is known to cause a
reasonably significant improvement in latency? Also, just once, I
tried enabling the “Use UI Automation to access Microsoft Word
document controls when available” option (Advanced category setting in
NVDA) and which experience resulted in a lot of NVDA freezing and
hiccups, as a result of which experience I have not bothered playing
around with it anymore. Would it be advisable to retry this option in
case it is known to produce snappier responsiveness in Word 2016?
Wordpad: I do not believe I can somehow obtain heading functionality
in Wordpad, and even if I somehow do, I am unclear as to how I would
be able to use browse mode single letter navigation to quickly jump by
headings. The things to consider here then become if there may be
other lightweight word processors with less latency than Word and
heading labelling and navigation features.

I would greatly appreciate all your thoughts and inputs on the above.

Thanks.

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Blogger at Hiking Across Horizons: https://bhavyashah125.wordpress.com/
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@gmail.com
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/bhavyashah125/


Re: Getting more voices for NvDA

Abbie Taylor <abbietaylor945@...>
 

To clarify, unless you want the Windows One-Core voices in a different language, you don't need to download them with earlier versions of NVDA. Simply go to Preferences, then Text-to-Speech, and Windows One-Core should be listed in the drop-down menu. I hope that helps.
--
Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author
http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com
http://abbiescorner.wordpress.com
abbietaylor945@...


Re: Getting more voices for NvDA

Mohamed
 

Yes, as of 1903 you can go in to settings>time and language>speech, and an add voices button can be found there. From the resulting dialog you can download all available voice packages.

On 6/16/2019 12:17 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
The Windows 10 machine can definitely use the One Core voices.  Up through Version 1809 you have to download them as part of language packs.  I have been told that this will no longer be necessary as of Version 1903, but haven't played with that yet on my one machine that's got 1903 on it.

I haven't touched Windows 7 in years now, so I'm no help there.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

Puritanism:  The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.

        ~ H.L. Mencken

 

 


Re: interesting problem

Gene
 

NVDA is causing the control key to get stuck on.  Try pressing one control key many times and see if that stops the problem.  If one doesn't work, try the other.  You might just try pressing each one five or ten times unless you find that pressing one works consistently.  I say that control is getting stuck because if you issue the command NVDA key control t, the Braille tethering command will result.
 
A number of other people have reported this problem so it is not just a very minor problem on one system.
Gene

----- Original Message -----
From: Ame
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2019 10:48 AM
Subject: [nvda] interesting problem

Hi!

 

I’ve been noticing with the last couple of updates there’s been a weird glitch somewhere.  That’s the only  reason I can think of that NVDA’s doing what it does.  Sometimes, I can’t read the title bar or navigate using the review cursor.  When I do nvda+t, it says something about braille tethering.  Sometimes it resolves itself and other times I have to restart nvda to get it to quit.  I always check my numlock to make sure it’s off.  Doesn’t seem to make any difference.  Anybody know of any tips or tricks?

 

Thanks

 

Ame


Re: interesting problem

Rui Fontes
 

Hello!

Please, check with all add-ons deactivated...

NVDA consideres the CTRL key locked and so when you press NVDA+T, NVDA receives NVDA+Ctrl+T...

Regards,

Rui Fontes


Às 16:48 de 17/06/2019, Ame escreveu:

Hi!
I’ve been noticing with the last couple of updates there’s been a weird glitch somewhere.  That’s the only  reason I can think of that NVDA’s doing what it does.  Sometimes, I can’t read the title bar or navigate using the review cursor.  When I do nvda+t, it says something about braille tethering.  Sometimes it resolves itself and other times I have to restart nvda to get it to quit.  I always check my numlock to make sure it’s off.  Doesn’t seem to make any difference.  Anybody know of any tips or tricks?
Thanks
Ame


interesting problem

Ame
 

Hi!

 

I’ve been noticing with the last couple of updates there’s been a weird glitch somewhere.  That’s the only  reason I can think of that NVDA’s doing what it does.  Sometimes, I can’t read the title bar or navigate using the review cursor.  When I do nvda+t, it says something about braille tethering.  Sometimes it resolves itself and other times I have to restart nvda to get it to quit.  I always check my numlock to make sure it’s off.  Doesn’t seem to make any difference.  Anybody know of any tips or tricks?

 

Thanks

 

Ame


Re: Weather_Plus6.6 update available

Adriano Barbieri
 

Strange, the link is correct, but selecting it still points to the version 6.5.:

http://www.nvda.it/files/plugin/weather_plus6.6.nvda-addon

Thanks, try now.


Regards
Adriano


Il 17/06/2019 16:34, Ron Canazzi ha scritto:

This download links to the Italian site without a combo box to change languages.


On 6/17/2019 5:56 AM, Adriano Barbieri via Groups.Io wrote:

Goodmorning everyone,


Changes in this version:
• Added sk documentation.


Weather_Plus can update itself, however you can download it from the following pages:
http://www.nvda.it/files/plugin/weather_plus6.6.nvda-addon
Or:
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/Weather_Plus.en.html
I I wish thank Noelia, Abdel, Rémy, Zvonimir and all the translators for support this addon.


Greetings
Adriano



-- 
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"


Re: Weather_Plus6.6 update available

Ron Canazzi
 

This download links to the Italian site without a combo box to change languages.


On 6/17/2019 5:56 AM, Adriano Barbieri via Groups.Io wrote:

Goodmorning everyone,


Changes in this version:
• Added sk documentation.


Weather_Plus can update itself, however you can download it from the following pages:
http://www.nvda.it/files/plugin/weather_plus6.6.nvda-addon
Or:
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/Weather_Plus.en.html
I I wish thank Noelia, Abdel, Rémy, Zvonimir and all the translators for support this addon.


Greetings
Adriano



-- 
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"


Re: Movies on DVD

cecropia64
 

hi:

 

vlc media player is a really good program to use.   works very well


Movies on DVD

Robert Doc Wright godfearer
 

What accessible program is available for windows 10 to watch movies on DVD?

 

                                                                                                                                If all I have left in this world is God, I have everything!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Sent from Mail for Windows 10