Date   

Acapela pauses with punctuation revisited

Dark Count
 

Hello. I have looked through the archives and found something to the effect of being able to change the way pauses inpunctuation work with the acapela voices.

Sadly there was no description as to where this setting could be changed.

I would welcome some help regarding this.


TIA


D C


Re: Braille Extender not saving tables

David Csercsics
 

Yes, that's what I saw, too, when I briefly looked at it. It requires syntax changes and some testing, and the author may not have time to do it. How much of the functionality should we put in NVDA core, possibly? Having to install an add-on for extra braille features seems a bit weird. But then again, I understand about keeping the main screen reader as portable as possible. This is probably for another thread, but I was thinking about it because NVDA commonly gets blamed for poor braille support, because people don't know about the Braille Extender add-on. It looks like a lot of the functions are just conveniences, but maybe some should be part of NVDA, I'm not sure. Maybe this belongs in another place than here, but since we're on the topic of refactoring it seemed related. I don't know how many braille users we have either, so maybe the community doesn't need it that much.


Re: Braille Extender not saving tables

 

Hi,
Just because an add-on declares support for 2019.3 or later does not
necessarily mean it is Python 3 ready. Braille Extender, although the
manifest says it is ready for future NVDA releases, source code says
otherwise. For instance, the add-on won't load because a module located
inside the add-on isn't loaded properly because Python 3 can't find it.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Luke Davis
Sent: Monday, July 29, 2019 10:47 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Braille Extender not saving tables

Why do you say it may no longer work because of Python 3 support being
lacking?
According to its github page:

https://github.com/Andre9642/BrailleExtender

It seems to be under quite active development, with multiple developers, and
claims compatibility with NVDA 2019.4, which at least implies that it is
already working with Python 3.

It doesn't hurt to write to the developers and report these bugs.

Luke

On Sun, 28 Jul 2019, David Csercsics wrote:

It is definitely a bug! I can duplicate it here as well as a couple
other things. But the add-on will likely no longer work as of 2019.3
because of the move to Python 3 support, so we may have to find another
solution.

 A pity for me because I really enjoy my braille display, but I'll see
what I can learn to sort this out.






Re: Braille Extender not saving tables

David Csercsics
 

I wrote to the developer, but I didn't check the git hub page, I was just saying it may not work with  Python 3 because I wasn't sure if he'd have time to work on it. But we'll see what we can do. I will ping him and see if he needs documentation help and possibly brush up on my python and help that way as well, since I have the time. I just haven't learned all the Windows API stuff I might need. But I'll see if I can get a build environment rigged here and see what can be learned from that.


Re: Braille Extender not saving tables

Luke Davis
 

Why do you say it may no longer work because of Python 3 support being lacking?
According to its github page:

https://github.com/Andre9642/BrailleExtender

It seems to be under quite active development, with multiple developers, and claims compatibility with NVDA 2019.4, which at least implies that it is already working with Python 3.

It doesn't hurt to write to the developers and report these bugs.

Luke

On Sun, 28 Jul 2019, David Csercsics wrote:

It is definitely a bug! I can duplicate it here as well as a couple other things. But the add-on will likely no longer work as of 2019.3 because of the move to Python 3 support, so we may have to find another solution.

 A pity for me because I really enjoy my braille display, but I'll see what I can learn to sort this out.





StationPlaylsit and Windows 10 App Essentisl 19.08 #addonrelease

 

Hi all,

 

StationPlaylist and Windows 10 App Essentials 19.08 versions are on their way (will be made available in about an hour or so). StationPlaylist update brings bug fixes, and Windows 10 App Essentials brings initial support for upcoming Version 19H2 and prepares the add-on to support NVDA 2019.3 alpha and introduces support for one or two changes included in recent Windows Insider Preview builds.

 

Note: both add-on releases will now require NVDA 2019.1 or later (including 2019.2 release candidate 1). Also, for Windows 10 App Essentials, Windows 10 Version 1809 (October 2018 Update/build 17763) or later is required (standard add-on maintenance policy for this add-on).

 

Cheers,

Joseph


Re: NVDA moving to Python 3

 

I wouldn't bother with anny synth addons to be honest.

If you can afford it I'd use their sapi equivilants.

You are not locked down to one particular program, and they can be used anywhere you want.

While I have vocaliser, its a nice high quality but slow crappy synth for normal use.

Its good for gaming where its needed, and book reading and things like that.

On the other side something like espeak, is low quality, fast responding, high performance, but crappy sounding.

Its good for games without stories, documentation reading, email, brousing the web, doing administration and running virtual machines and things where I don't care what I am hearing or if it sounds good just that I am getting correct information.

I suppose with the powerfull system I have I could run vocaliser constantly but it may not be what I want all day long.

Pluss in a situation where something crashes or goes down or something breaks, I could be stuck with no speech because the net failed, or bit of windows went or something else fails.

The only way for me to get things back would either be a full reformat or killing configurations.

I have found that when I have relied on some stuff like this in the past that when it fails, you have nothing to fall back on.

A reformat fixes it as it always does, however as a result of being bitten to many times, for general purpose and we are talking general purpose, I would prefur crappy low quality but readable information rather than high quality readable but unstable information.

Also until recently any high quality anything is a performance drag.

I know several on xp and lower specked systems that can't afford any upgrades at all.

And even for those that do, they get the cheapest options which may be a few generations lower than current.

I have tried to run high quality on systems for general use and even when it has worked even if the system does not crash, even if it works floorlessly without me having to reformat to get speech back the load time is insane and so is responce time when I press a key.

I know with espeak that I am garanteed speech, crappy that it is.

And I am garanteed information in a readable format.

It may not sound that nice but I can read it.

In my line of work as admin and tester, I don't care if the information is sounding good or not just that I am getting it.

 If I am reading a book or playing an advanced flight game or something like that then of course I do.

I guess if your job is a translater or transcriber, high quality speech would be something you would have to use on a regular basis.

However you would have the hardware and software to support you or at least I do hope so.

I have friends some in the church, some in jobs that have never been able to afford the more expensive tech ever in their lives and get cast offs only.

Some are even used to it.



On 30/07/2019 4:48 AM, Josh Kennedy wrote:
I am going to buy the eloquence/vocalizer NVDA-addon on Friday. I hope that it will work with python3 when the time comes. Since I get extra social security in the united states now, these voices are easily affordable for me. I want the legal versions of voices because I am hoping that the legal eloquence and legal vocalizer will be updated to python3 whereas unsupported illegal stuff which is unsupported may just plain break and not work. Right now I am using sapi5 eloquence from codeFactory until this Friday when I can register the eloquence/vocalizer codeFactory addon. 


Re: NVDA moving to Python 3

Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...>
 

I am going to buy the eloquence/vocalizer NVDA-addon on Friday. I hope that it will work with python3 when the time comes. Since I get extra social security in the united states now, these voices are easily affordable for me. I want the legal versions of voices because I am hoping that the legal eloquence and legal vocalizer will be updated to python3 whereas unsupported illegal stuff which is unsupported may just plain break and not work. Right now I am using sapi5 eloquence from codeFactory until this Friday when I can register the eloquence/vocalizer codeFactory addon. 


Re: Anybody have accessible NAS recommendations?

Robert Doc Wright godfearer
 

It is useable. You do have to work with it to figure it out. The biggest problem I have had has been with their tech support.

 

                                                                                                                                If all I have left in this world is God, I have everything!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: John Isige
Sent: Monday, July 29, 2019 5:55 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Anybody have accessible NAS recommendations?

 

I don't know that I'd go with WD again, but just in case, how accessible is it? I have a WD MyBook Live and it's mostly accessible. I can't delete shares I've made though and some of the other operations for manipulating them don't really work that reliably. So I'd like to make sure I can get something that's really accessible if I'm going to spend money to update.

 


NVDA remote

Robert Doc Wright godfearer
 


A friend has the latest NVDA remote installed but when you go to addon manager it says will install after restart. We have restarted several times and we get the same report in the addon manager. We have even rebooted the pc and yet remote does not show under tools in the NVDA menu.

 

                                                                                                                                If all I have left in this world is God, I have everything!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


Re: NVDA addon: Community feedback on new Developer toolkitfeature requested

Andy B.
 

Yes, already had this in mind.

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Jacob Kruger
Sent: Monday, July 29, 2019 2:11 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA addon: Community feedback on new Developer toolkitfeature requested

 

Andy, relative positioning would definitely be useful at times, but, it would be better as an option you could toggle on and off?


Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
"...resistance is futile...but, acceptance is versatile..."

On 2019-07-28 5:17 AM, Andy B. wrote:

Hi,

I am requesting the community’s feedback on a feature for Developer toolkit. Before proceeding with the new feature’s description, I must provide a sample problem a user might encounter while using DTK. Imagine you are a user of DTK. You wish to make a dialog in the top-right corner of your display with a button centered in the dialog. The dialog is to have the dimensions of 100px wide and 100px high. The button is to have the dimensions of 75px wide and 25px high. You know the display resolution is 1920px wide and 1080px high.

You confidently code up the dialog to sit in the top-right corner of the display. To verify, you launch the dialog, turn on DTK, navigate to the dialog, then obtain its size and location. After checking the size and location, you are happy with its placement: (left, top, right, bottom): 1820, 0, 1920, 100 [100px wide and 100px high]. You proceed to place a button in the dialog. To verify the button’s size and location, you launch the dialog, put focus on the button, turn on DTK features, and obtain the button’s size and location. To your horror, the location is (left, top, right, bottom): 1820, 0, 1904, 25) [75px wide and 25px high]. It is a reasonable guess that the button is in the top-left corner of the dialog. However, you might have to perform some math to figure it out. Now, imagine what this would look like with a fairly complex design or layout… Messy at best! The problem is that all object locations are reported relative to the entire display. This method is useful for gross layouts such as setting up foreground window placement, or header, footer, multicolumn website layouts. Even the web layouts provide their own issues. Wait though, there is a solution to the problem!

The proposed feature I would like comments on is the ability for DTK to provide location information relative to the focused object’s parent. In the example given, you could ask DTK to give you the locations of the left, top, right, and bottom edges based on the distance between the focused object and its parent’s edges. For instance, DTK would report the button location as (left, top, right, bottom): 0, 0, 75, 25. You could still obtain locations based on the entire display’s size though. Implementing this isn’t difficult, but I need feature requests and implementation ideas from a user’s point of view. How would you see this feature implemented?

 

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

 


Re: Deleting network shares was: Re: [nvda] Anybody have accessible NAS recommendations?

John Isige
 

That on a Mybook? Thanks! I don't think I'll end up going with WD though. The Mybook is crazy slow, which is why I'm replacing it, and I'm seeing references to similar issues and network dropouts with their MyCloud replacement. Good to know I might actually be able to delete shares though.

On 7/29/2019 0:14, Mobeen Iqbal wrote:

Hi.

I'm using NVDA latest version with firefox latest on windows 10. Press enter on your share. After the shares list on mine, NVDA says blank twice before the next item. the first blank is the delete share option, the second is edit.

cheers,

Mo.

On 29/07/2019 03:55, John Isige wrote:
I don't know that I'd go with WD again, but just in case, how accessible is it? I have a WD MyBook Live and it's mostly accessible. I can't delete shares I've made though and some of the other operations for manipulating them don't really work that reliably. So I'd like to make sure I can get something that's really accessible if I'm going to spend money to update.


NVDA moving to Python 3

Quentin Christensen
 

Hi everyone,

There has been a bit of confusion over NVDA's move to "Python 3".  I wanted to share a short message to clarify a couple of issues and concerns people have raised:

First and most importantly; the upcoming NVDA 2019.2 is not affected.  NVDA 2019.2 still uses code based on "Python 2", just like NVDA 2019.1 and earlier.  So, for the most part, anything which works in NVDA 2019.1, should work in 2019.2.

Please do test NVDA 2019.2 beta 3, which is available here: https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/releases/2019.2beta3/nvda_2019.2beta3.exe.  If you do find any issues, particularly things which worked in NVDA 2019.1 which no longer work, please do let us know.  The "Release Candidate" for 2019.2 is due out shortly, and we would encourage all users to test that when it comes out.

So what are we doing?  We're updating NVDA's code from being largely based on Python 2, to Python 3.  Python 3 was first introduced in 2008, and Python 2 will reach end-of-life early next year.   Python's Wikipedia page succinctly explains why Python 3 is important:   Python 3 was "... designed to rectify fundamental design flaws in the language—the changes required could not be implemented while retaining full backwards compatibility with the 2.x series".  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Python#Version_3

So why are we doing this?   Partly to ensure the ongoing stability and security of NVDA.  We cannot release a product based on a programming language which is no longer supported.  Not only would functionality be increasingly likely to break with updates to Windows and other programs, but it would not be secure.  As well as this, developers learning Python over the past few years have not been taught Python 2, they have been taught Python 3.  Moving to Python 3 ensures that we have access to this growing pool of developers.

NV Access and the community have worked together to ensure the process to transition add-ons is as smooth as possible.  There is a Wiki page with information on the transition at: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/wiki/nvdaPy3  Any developers with questions are encouraged to join in the discussion on the NVDA Developers mailing list: https://groups.io/g/nvda-devel  As much as users are concerned about the ongoing viability of add-ons they rely on, we are also keen to maintain stability and continuity of functionality for everyone.

We have just released a first Alpha build of NVDA updated to Python 3.  This is really only aimed at developers at this point.  What we would like end-users to know is that we have been in contact with the major synth and add-on developers.  We knew that would be the first question many people had about this process so we have involved them from early on.

If you are wondering whether "Synthesizer X" or "Add-on Y" will work under Python 3, the manufacturer of that Synthesizer or add-on is the first port of call.  If they have already updated and tested, they will be happy to let you know that.  Remember that we have only just released a first alpha build using Python 3 ourselves, so don't panic if your favourite hasn't been updated yet!

Joseph Lee has helpfully curated a list of add-ons, their known status and the contact details for the developer.  This list is on the official add-ons site:  https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/nvdapy3.en.html

We will continue to work with add-on and synthesizer developers.  We don't have a choice about making this change, but like you, we don't want to see anyone left with decreased functionality due to an "upgrade".
 
Rest assured we will continue to test these changes to NVDA's codebase prior to pushing them out to users.  If you do still have any questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Regards

Quentin

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

NVDA 2019.2beta3 now available!


NVDA add-ons and Python 3: at least a third of add-ons hosted on community add-ons website are compatible

 

Hi all,

 

As a way to inform the community about ongoing Python 3 transition (which began last week but may pick up speed starting in August), I (as the add-ons community coordinator on Python 3 transition) will provide updates on how various add-ons are doing in terms of Python 3 transition. Most status updates will coincide with NVDA milestones e.g. 2019.2 release candidate, 2019.3 beta 1, and so on. I’ll do my best to provide updates once or twice a month.

 

Notes:

 

  1. There are tons of add-ons out there, which includes add-ons not hosted on community add-ons website (addons.nvda-project.org).
  2. Add-on compatibility status is based on reports from add-on authors and testing done by at least one user or author.
  3. Some status updates will feature notable add-ons and their compatibility statuses. Some will feature community-wide directives if warranted (first one is below).
  4. You are encouraged to assist in Python 3 transition. Note that although you can make an add-on “compatible” by editing its manifest, not all add-ons will suddenly come to life in NVDA 2019.3 alpha.

 

Python 3 and add-ons status as of July 29, 2019:

 

  • Add-on count on community add-ons website: 66 stable add-ons (more if we count add-ons under development section)
  • Compatible: 22
  • Notable compatible add-ons: Add-on Updater, Unicode Braille Input, Resource Monitor, Windows 10 App Essentials, Day Of The Week, MP3 Direct Cut, SystrayList, Golden Cursor.
  • Notable incompatible add-ons: many speech synthesizers, Braille Extender, Clip Contents Designer, Place Markers, Read Feeds, Text Information.
  • Status to be determined: 32 add-ons (although by tomorrow most of them will have their compatibility status determined, and I expect some to be compatible while others will not for the time being).

 

Community directive (July 2019 no. 1): contact add-on authors. Because many add-ons (including some notable ones) are not compatible at this point, please ask add-on authors about their thoughts about porting their add-ons to Python 3. Depending on which add-ons you are using and author:

 

  • Speech synthesizers and braille displays: highest of highest of priorities (a few days ago I wrote to an NVDA mailing list regarding it and promised I’ll initiate a community directive on this, and now is the time to start contacting vendors).
  • Control Usage Assistant (Joseph Lee/end of life): I will release a “nightlight” i.e. emergency add-on update in August that will make this add-on Python 3 ready.
  • Add-ons from Noelia Martinez: Noelia says she is aware of community feedback and will get her add-ons ready by 2019.3 beta.

 

Notable add-ons hosted outside community add-ons website:

 

  • DictationBridge: developers are aware of Python 3 compatibility issues and will provide an update in an upcoming release.
  • Remote Support: I have contacted at least one of the authors regarding their thoughts on Python 3 compatibility.

 

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph


Re: NVDA addon: Community feedback on new Developer toolkit feature requested

Jacob Kruger
 

Andy, relative positioning would definitely be useful at times, but, it would be better as an option you could toggle on and off?


Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
"...resistance is futile...but, acceptance is versatile..."

On 2019-07-28 5:17 AM, Andy B. wrote:

Hi,

I am requesting the community’s feedback on a feature for Developer toolkit. Before proceeding with the new feature’s description, I must provide a sample problem a user might encounter while using DTK. Imagine you are a user of DTK. You wish to make a dialog in the top-right corner of your display with a button centered in the dialog. The dialog is to have the dimensions of 100px wide and 100px high. The button is to have the dimensions of 75px wide and 25px high. You know the display resolution is 1920px wide and 1080px high.

You confidently code up the dialog to sit in the top-right corner of the display. To verify, you launch the dialog, turn on DTK, navigate to the dialog, then obtain its size and location. After checking the size and location, you are happy with its placement: (left, top, right, bottom): 1820, 0, 1920, 100 [100px wide and 100px high]. You proceed to place a button in the dialog. To verify the button’s size and location, you launch the dialog, put focus on the button, turn on DTK features, and obtain the button’s size and location. To your horror, the location is (left, top, right, bottom): 1820, 0, 1904, 25) [75px wide and 25px high]. It is a reasonable guess that the button is in the top-left corner of the dialog. However, you might have to perform some math to figure it out. Now, imagine what this would look like with a fairly complex design or layout… Messy at best! The problem is that all object locations are reported relative to the entire display. This method is useful for gross layouts such as setting up foreground window placement, or header, footer, multicolumn website layouts. Even the web layouts provide their own issues. Wait though, there is a solution to the problem!

The proposed feature I would like comments on is the ability for DTK to provide location information relative to the focused object’s parent. In the example given, you could ask DTK to give you the locations of the left, top, right, and bottom edges based on the distance between the focused object and its parent’s edges. For instance, DTK would report the button location as (left, top, right, bottom): 0, 0, 75, 25. You could still obtain locations based on the entire display’s size though. Implementing this isn’t difficult, but I need feature requests and implementation ideas from a user’s point of view. How would you see this feature implemented?

 

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


Re: A Question About NVDA, Python 3 and Espeak

 

Hi,
How?
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of mattias
Sent: Sunday, July 28, 2019 10:54 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] A Question About NVDA, Python 3 and Espeak

no addon updater is broken

Den 2019-07-28 kl. 23:51, skrev David Csercsics:
The only add-ons I usually use are braille extender and the Windows 10
essential ones, and the add-on updater, but it looks like all of those
are either being updated, or already work fine with the new Python 3,
but I'd be happy to help with this if I can.





Re: A Question About NVDA, Python 3 and Espeak

mattias
 

no addon updater is broken

Den 2019-07-28 kl. 23:51, skrev David Csercsics:

The only add-ons I usually use are braille extender and the Windows 10 essential ones, and the add-on updater, but it looks like all of those are either being updated, or already work fine with the new Python 3, but I'd be happy to help with this if I can.




Deleting network shares was: Re: [nvda] Anybody have accessible NAS recommendations?

Mobeen Iqbal
 

Hi.

I'm using NVDA latest version with firefox latest on windows 10. Press enter on your share. After the shares list on mine, NVDA says blank twice before the next item. the first blank is the delete share option, the second is edit.

cheers,

Mo.

On 29/07/2019 03:55, John Isige wrote:
I don't know that I'd go with WD again, but just in case, how accessible is it? I have a WD MyBook Live and it's mostly accessible. I can't delete shares I've made though and some of the other operations for manipulating them don't really work that reliably. So I'd like to make sure I can get something that's really accessible if I'm going to spend money to update.


Re: Anybody have accessible NAS recommendations?

 

Well if you jack the processers in your nas to as high as they can fit and install the ram you need, you can probably ditch the os entirely and run your own linux distribution because a few audio geeks did it that way and bang you have not only a backup solution but a media server and other things as well but I have no idea how to do that.

These guys also have huge cloud backups of things.



On 29/07/2019 3:14 PM, Tyler Wood wrote:

Hi,

I’ve heard good things about sonology.

The thing that’s turning me off any of these NAS devices is the fact that software can change at a moments notice with a firmware update, as happened with netgear, and said firmware downgrade may be impossible. I’d rather get a refurbished computer (after all, all these NAS’s are is a computer), get one of those mediasonic proraid drive enclosures and install one of the pre-existing NAS programs for either Windows or Linux – this way you’re in complete control of what you get and when you get it. Of course, it all depends on what you do, but initial setup for most things really doesn’t sound difficult.

 

Just my opinion, however. After I was unable to downgrade the firmware of a netgear NAS for a friend, that turned me off of them quite a lot. Of course your mileage may vary, and certain companies may be better than others.

 

Best of luck!

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of John Isige
Sent: July 28, 2019 9:56 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Anybody have accessible NAS recommendations?

 

I don't know that I'd go with WD again, but just in case, how accessible is it? I have a WD MyBook Live and it's mostly accessible. I can't delete shares I've made though and some of the other operations for manipulating them don't really work that reliably. So I'd like to make sure I can get something that's really accessible if I'm going to spend money to update.


Re: Anybody have accessible NAS recommendations?

Tyler Wood
 

Hi,

I’ve heard good things about sonology.

The thing that’s turning me off any of these NAS devices is the fact that software can change at a moments notice with a firmware update, as happened with netgear, and said firmware downgrade may be impossible. I’d rather get a refurbished computer (after all, all these NAS’s are is a computer), get one of those mediasonic proraid drive enclosures and install one of the pre-existing NAS programs for either Windows or Linux – this way you’re in complete control of what you get and when you get it. Of course, it all depends on what you do, but initial setup for most things really doesn’t sound difficult.

 

Just my opinion, however. After I was unable to downgrade the firmware of a netgear NAS for a friend, that turned me off of them quite a lot. Of course your mileage may vary, and certain companies may be better than others.

 

Best of luck!

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of John Isige
Sent: July 28, 2019 9:56 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Anybody have accessible NAS recommendations?

 

I don't know that I'd go with WD again, but just in case, how accessible is it? I have a WD MyBook Live and it's mostly accessible. I can't delete shares I've made though and some of the other operations for manipulating them don't really work that reliably. So I'd like to make sure I can get something that's really accessible if I'm going to spend money to update.