Date   
Re: Can different versions MS-Office, or just Outlook, be installed side-by-side on the same computer

 

Oops, skipped the vital words, "different versions" in the new topic title, so they're there now.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

      ~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

 

 

Re: Can different versions MS-Office, or just Outlook, be installed side-by-side on the same computer

 

Kenny,

          It would appear so, though I've never tried it.  See:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/install-and-use-different-versions-of-office-on-the-same-pc-6ebb44ce-18a3-43f9-a187-b78c513788bf
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

      ~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

 

 

Re: Free .RTF file creater

Cristóbal
 

Bleh… I think I’ll leave well enough alone.

Besides, a word processor and spreadsheet program still

Perform the same tasks at the end of the day. Not like I’ve heard of some killer must have new feature in 19 anyway.

Thanks,

Cristóbal

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 2:37 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Free .RTF file creater

 

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 02:19 PM, Cristóbal wrote:

Can one upgrade from 16 to 19 or would it be too much of a hassle and a simple reinstall  be better?

-
Cristóbal, I can't really answer that question since I've never even attempted an in-place upgrade for Office, though it appears that it is not possible in any meaningful sense.  See:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/how-do-i-upgrade-office-ee68f6cf-422f-464a-82ec-385f65391350#bkmk_readytoinstall

When it comes to Microsoft Office, I tend to do the proverbial "nuke and pave," though if one is a heavy-duty Outlook user I can understand completely why one might not want to go that route.  But based on the above it seems you would use the same techniques as though you were trying to move from one machine to another with Outlook, first backing up your existing Outlook data stores, then recovering them into the newly installed Outlook.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

      ~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

 

 

Re: Can different versions MS-Office, or just Outlook, be installed side-by-side on the same computer

Kenny Nead <knead54@...>
 

Hi Brian, I am curious about this while you guys are talking about it. Can you install the new copy of Outlook, on your computer, before you remove the old version? Have two copies of Outlook on your computer at the same time, before changing things to the new one.

Thanks,

Kenny Nead

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 4:37 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Free .RTF file creater

 

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 02:19 PM, Cristóbal wrote:

Can one upgrade from 16 to 19 or would it be too much of a hassle and a simple reinstall  be better?

-
Cristóbal, I can't really answer that question since I've never even attempted an in-place upgrade for Office, though it appears that it is not possible in any meaningful sense.  See:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/how-do-i-upgrade-office-ee68f6cf-422f-464a-82ec-385f65391350#bkmk_readytoinstall

When it comes to Microsoft Office, I tend to do the proverbial "nuke and pave," though if one is a heavy-duty Outlook user I can understand completely why one might not want to go that route.  But based on the above it seems you would use the same techniques as though you were trying to move from one machine to another with Outlook, first backing up your existing Outlook data stores, then recovering them into the newly installed Outlook.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

      ~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

 

 

Re: Free .RTF file creater

 

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 02:19 PM, Cristóbal wrote:
Can one upgrade from 16 to 19 or would it be too much of a hassle and a simple reinstall  be better?
-
Cristóbal, I can't really answer that question since I've never even attempted an in-place upgrade for Office, though it appears that it is not possible in any meaningful sense.  See:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/how-do-i-upgrade-office-ee68f6cf-422f-464a-82ec-385f65391350#bkmk_readytoinstall

When it comes to Microsoft Office, I tend to do the proverbial "nuke and pave," though if one is a heavy-duty Outlook user I can understand completely why one might not want to go that route.  But based on the above it seems you would use the same techniques as though you were trying to move from one machine to another with Outlook, first backing up your existing Outlook data stores, then recovering them into the newly installed Outlook.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

      ~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

 

 

Re: ccleaner research

 

Move this to the chat subgroup. Per group rules, this message shouldn't have gone to this list. But,

That's good you'll get to talk to them. Make sure you have your facts backed up by examples or reproducible bugs. I do this for a living and get paid very, very, well for it, as you can see.

If I had the power, I'd move this to the chat group. Let's continue there, not here.

ccleaner research

 

Hi.

I have been given an unexpected chance to talk to ccleaner directly as part of a servey I did a bit back.

The date for my interview is schedualed for monday 8 pm nz time.

Thats sunday at well us time at well I think its round 8am utc point is, I have an oppertunity to change this program.

Right now in my head I have at least 6 points on ccleaner free alone to talk about.

The first and not least is the long standing checkbox nvda readback on the main config panel.

If that could at least get sorted out that would be a huge step.

Next are the settings for healthcheck on the settings pannel they absolutely will not toggle without skipping with tab on nvda and I have to basically put narator in scan and hit a button.

Technically they have an alto and I think alt r keyboard shortcut but since options is allready alt o its just not doing it right.

3.  healthcheck and the add pains themselves.

While the add pains are not as big of a deal since they are html windows at least in the portable I want them gone.

They are also hidden by default.

Healthcheck is just well inaccessible.

The point is, unless piriform really think its needed I am not sure if its worth making it accessible or just make sure it never happens for us.

We don't need healthcheck generally. neither do we need the smart cleaning monitoring and the like.

And while it can be turned off in the portable well who knows.

4.  The installer and bundled software.

I know there are slim and portable installers about but to be honest with all the issues with avast and their software and all the issues round that which I won't even touch on, we as blind people really need either the installer to be more accessible or have some way to just not have that happen in the first place.

Heck if its cash, I'd be happy to pay a 10 us dollar flat rate so they can continue their program as is.

I also don't think portable versions should have any trial notices, after all, the reason people get themm is for running on portable stations.

That last point aint really important, if the buttons , checkboxes settings and stuff can get fixed then that will tie us over.

The installer needs to get addressed to, healthcheck is its own animal and I am not sure how to approach it.

Bar defragler, I have not used speccy or recuva enough to see how accessible they truely are.

The main windows of both weren't but I haven't used them enough to say what doesn't work so I can't mention those at all.

Anyway, everyone can email me off list in fact unless mods think it usefull to have it on here at least everyone on nvda can email me off list.

If you are on atig, or atug then you can probably talk on there.

If this goes to win10 you will have to email mee off list as I appear to have burnt my bridges right now.

I may try to get myself back in later but as it is I have other things more important than actually trying to get back in win10 at least to post.

Anyway I will give you all this week till monday my time sunday us time at 3pm.

Thats when I finnish a augmented reality device test.

That should give me some time to put all my notes together before I have dinner and find out how it works.

Thanks in advance.

Lets hope this all works out for us.

Shaun


Re: Free .RTF file creater

Kenny Nead <knead54@...>
 

How do you find H J Pad?

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of David Goldfield
Sent: Monday, June 29, 2020 5:26 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Free .RTF file creater

 

Yes, the program which was supplied with JAWS and which is still preinstalled with JAWS is called HJPad. It is pretty much Wordpad but with a spell checker. As far as I know there is no way to acquire HJPad as a standalone program.

Jarte is free and comes with a spell checker along with other features.

Jarte Plus is the premium version of Jarte which contains even more features. I believe that Jarte Plus only costs $20.00.

 

 

David Goldfield,
Blindness Assistive Technology Specialist
JAWS Certified, 2019
 
WWW.DavidGoldfield.org

On 6/29/2020 2:44 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Maybe that's where I'm confused. I remember both. Lol! So if you want a simple lite flexible RTF reader/editor get jarte.

--

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

Check out my adventures with a shadow machine.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on twitch. Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 29 Jun 2020, at 11:32, Gene wrote:

Wordpad never had a spell checker and I'm going back to Windows 95. There is a utility JAWS uses for training called JAWS pad which is like the old menu Wordppad and does have a spell checker.

Gene

-----Original Message----- From: Sarah k Alawami
Sent: Monday, June 29, 2020 1:27 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Free .RTF file creater

How odd, I remember word pad had a spell checker at one time, but that was way back in 2005 when I was using a different system. I'm used to the ribbon now, but still love jarte as it can d a lot I wish could be done natively in windows.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

Check out my adventures with a shadow machine.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on twitch. Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 29 Jun 2020, at 11:20, Gene wrote:

Maybe, maybe not. First. Wordpad uses ribbons, starting with the Windows 7 version. The person may not be comfortable using ribbons.

Second, Wordpad is a really bare bones word processor, not even a spell checker.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Sarah k Alawami
Sent: Monday, June 29, 2020 10:03 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Free .RTF file creater

You actually have one on your computer. It's called wordpad. Go to run and type "wordpad" sand quotes, and there you go, it should work out for you.

--

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

Check out my adventures with a shadow machine.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on twitch. Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 29 Jun 2020, at 6:47, Hettie wrote:

I don't need all the functions of MS-Word or Excel. are there free substitutes apps compatible with NVDA I can download?

Thanks

Hettie

--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

Re: Free .RTF file creater

Kevin Cussick
 

Hi, it may have changed but it was not very accessible the last time I took it for a spin. now this was some years ago just can not remember the problems I had. open office or Lo would be over kill but would do what You want and more and is free.

30/06/2020 15:03, Brian Vogel wrote:

Back to SoftMaker Free Office <https://www.freeoffice.com/en/>, it includes TextMaker (word processor), PlanMaker (spreadsheet), and Presentations (equivalent of PowerPoint).
I also hadn't realized that it allows you to choose a ribbon or menu interface.  I have not tested it extensively for accessibility, but it does have the "big three" program equivalents from the MS-Office suite.
--
Brian *-*Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363
*/Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth./*
~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in /New York Times/ article, /How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States/ <https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/23/health/anti-vaccination-movement-us.html>/,/September 23, 2019

Re: Free .RTF file creater

 

Well technically you could join office insider and test it.

I am not sure how much with all the issues windows seems to get even with feedback that they actually fully listen to their insiders group though as some bugs in windows 2004 were aparently put in feedback and ignored.



On 1/07/2020 6:51 am, JM Casey wrote:

Hm. I suppose there are enough third party programmes out there, but this seems like something Microsfot might want to work on. Then again, you’d think they would have if it were any kind of proprity

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sarah k Alawami
Sent: June 30, 2020 12:21 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Free .RTF file creater

 

No it is not. I cannot get it to work. And I don't think it is a spell checker per-say. It does highlight the misspelled word and your screen reader will say"misspelled." but no amount of right clicking that word will bring up any corrections. I have not gotten it to work on discord, on twitter, in the xbox app, basicallyanywhere.

--

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

Check out my adventures with a shadow machine.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on twitch. Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 30 Jun 2020, at 8:39, JM Casey wrote:

Windows 10 has a spell-checker though; is it still not accessible? Damn…

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sarah k Alawami
Sent: June 29, 2020 2:27 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Free .RTF file creater

 

How odd, I remember word pad had a spell checker at one time, but that was way back in 2005 when I was using a different system. I'm used to the ribbon now, but still love jarte as it can d a lot I wish could be done natively in windows.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

Check out my adventures with a shadow machine.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on twitch. Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 29 Jun 2020, at 11:20, Gene wrote:

Maybe, maybe not. First. Wordpad uses ribbons, starting with the Windows 7 version. The person may not be comfortable using ribbons.

Second, Wordpad is a really bare bones word processor, not even a spell checker.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Sarah k Alawami
Sent: Monday, June 29, 2020 10:03 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Free .RTF file creater

You actually have one on your computer. It's called wordpad. Go to run and type "wordpad" sand quotes, and there you go, it should work out for you.

--

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

Check out my adventures with a shadow machine.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on twitch. Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 29 Jun 2020, at 6:47, Hettie wrote:

I don't need all the functions of MS-Word or Excel. are there free substitutes apps compatible with NVDA I can download?

Thanks

Hettie

--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

StationPlaylist 20.07 released, sneak preview of 20.09, the next long-term support release #addonrelease

 

Hi all,

 

StationPlaylist add-on 20.07 (stable) is now available. This version includes bug fixes and changes that will be utilized fully in future add-on releases. In addition, you can now press Control+F9 from SPL encoder window to connect all encoders. As always, the new add-on update is just an add-on update check away.

 

IMPORTANT: if you are using SAM or SPL encoders, the command to label encoder labels (F12) is gone as of this release. To label encoders, press Alt+NVDA+number row 0 to open encoder settings, and enter the label from “encoder label” field and click OK.

 

Speaking of future add-on releases, you’ll see two notable releases in the next few months:

 

  • 20.08: this version will include scoped set of optimizations from the next long-term support release, along with updating various localizations.
  • 20.09-LTS: yes, you read it right. Version 20.09 is the next long-term support release, and will be the last series to support Studio 5.20 and old NVDA technologies. Unlike past long-term support releases, 20.09.x will be supported until June 2021 at the earliest. This can change based on what happens with add-on maintenance next year.

 

In addition to being the next long-term support release, another job of 20.09 will be showcasing refactored add-on internals. Until now various add-on features such as moving between columns in playlist items in Studio and Track Tool didn’t really move to next or previous columns – the add-on only announced column content. Subsequent tests found that this mechanism didn’t allow the add-on to be used by low vision users, and the internals didn’t quite align with how NVDA manages to navigate tables. There are also parts of the add-on that didn’t quite fit Python coding best practices.

 

The goal of upcoming 20.09 release is to resolve these issues and more. To give you a preview of what’s being done:

 

  • When you move between columns in playlist items found in Studio, Track Tool and such, it’ll feel as though you are interacting with a table. The biggest beneficiary of this change will be low vision users who can now use magnification software to read track item columns more easily.
  • Certain old assumptions found in encoders support is being refactored (no user visible changes).
  • And many more.

 

If you want to test preview features, subscribe to development channel (NVDA menu/Preferences/Settings/Add-on Updater/Prefer development releases). Note that development snapshots might be unstable at times.

Cheers,

Joseph

Re: Free .RTF file creater

JM Casey
 

Hm. I suppose there are enough third party programmes out there, but this seems like something Microsfot might want to work on. Then again, you’d think they would have if it were any kind of proprity

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sarah k Alawami
Sent: June 30, 2020 12:21 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Free .RTF file creater

 

No it is not. I cannot get it to work. And I don't think it is a spell checker per-say. It does highlight the misspelled word and your screen reader will say"misspelled." but no amount of right clicking that word will bring up any corrections. I have not gotten it to work on discord, on twitter, in the xbox app, basicallyanywhere.

--

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

Check out my adventures with a shadow machine.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on twitch. Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 30 Jun 2020, at 8:39, JM Casey wrote:

Windows 10 has a spell-checker though; is it still not accessible? Damn…

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sarah k Alawami
Sent: June 29, 2020 2:27 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Free .RTF file creater

 

How odd, I remember word pad had a spell checker at one time, but that was way back in 2005 when I was using a different system. I'm used to the ribbon now, but still love jarte as it can d a lot I wish could be done natively in windows.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

Check out my adventures with a shadow machine.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on twitch. Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 29 Jun 2020, at 11:20, Gene wrote:

Maybe, maybe not. First. Wordpad uses ribbons, starting with the Windows 7 version. The person may not be comfortable using ribbons.

Second, Wordpad is a really bare bones word processor, not even a spell checker.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Sarah k Alawami
Sent: Monday, June 29, 2020 10:03 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Free .RTF file creater

You actually have one on your computer. It's called wordpad. Go to run and type "wordpad" sand quotes, and there you go, it should work out for you.

--

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

Check out my adventures with a shadow machine.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on twitch. Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 29 Jun 2020, at 6:47, Hettie wrote:

I don't need all the functions of MS-Word or Excel. are there free substitutes apps compatible with NVDA I can download?

Thanks

Hettie

--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

Re: Free .RTF file creater

 

Hmmm well here in new zealand there are 20 dollar pro plus keys, obviously they are legal enough.

You can't activate them online, you need to logon to a chinese site with your product generated id and have to click a couple things to activate office.

Usually I wouldn't go through this sort of junk, but with the price of microsoft office at 400 + dollars here in new zealand for the business version which has outlook in it, its almost impossible to buy for more than 1 unit especially since its 1 unit activation these days and this person I know has 3 of these and used a tripple office 07 licence.

I don't know how actually completely legal these are, I have been given instructions to bypass microsoft being ever called, or even been told not to tell the auction site, not ebay but another one I use about the keys so I suspect that these are either recycled or semi legal at best.

Still if you don't want to be put into the subscription plans microsoft charges you would do this.

Of course, if like me you never completely have socked all your email, and your working life into microsoft office you are not with the borg so to speak.

For people like most of the family, a brother, 2 uncles and an aunt and my dad who have just been using office all their lives, they have been conditioned to using it and outlook etc etc.

For myself I stayed with office till I quit using it after university.

I have been using jarte ever since and thunderbird and don't regret my decision to bail but as I said because I am not in corperate I don't need office, jaws or any such thing at all.

Once you are sucked in, well you get sucked in.

Ironically, I was almost sucked into the apple echosystem before my dad who has been using the system all his life tried to leave.

Technically you can leave, your music will go with you if you have it on your computer.

Your contacts will mostly but not completely transfer but some apps and data will be lost like whatsapp and other such things.

I suspect that I will be jumping to the droid even though the access is not as good as apple.

Thankfully the same has gone with security software and the office system and I don't mind telling you that I really don't care to get sucked into the evil software suite market even if they seem to look good.

To be honest, if microsoft had a version of office with word, excell and outlook for a lot of the family it would be enough but oh well.

I used to rail against this sort of thing, but if its semi legal somewhere else and the eu seem to be promoting a grey market, then I may just try it.

The code I got will be registered to an ms account, so I am not using another person's account.

And if they find out, I can just shrug it off, kill the software and delete the data and move on its only the cost of a cd.


On 1/07/2020 2:07 am, Brian Vogel wrote:
I will also note that with the rise of the grey market, starting in the EU, it is entirely possible to get MS-Office licenses for a song.  And Office 2019 is now commonly available on the grey market since there have been a lot of computers that had it installed that are already being decommissioned.

I just bought an Office 2019 license from the grey market (on eBay, in this specific case) for a residential client that I will be installing later this afternoon.

On the Grey Market  (PDF on Google Drive)

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

      ~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

 

 

Re: Nvda addon Notepad plus plus

JM Casey
 

Yeah, all true, but it is pretty good at text processing. It does a lot of things that notepad/wordpad won’t, like the word count/summary feature. Two other things I use it for is removing line breaks/blank lines from documents to make for smoother reading on a braille display, and ordering lists. That is, make a list of any random number of things, and notepad++ can order them numerically, alphabetically, etc, so long as each entry is on a line.

 

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: June 30, 2020 12:26 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Nvda addon Notepad plus plus

 

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 11:41 AM, JM Casey wrote:

Remarkable little programme.

Indeed it is.   But it is really not a general purpose text processor.  It's aimed at the programming community, and the ability for it to recognize the language syntax of multiple programming languages, and to syntax check as you enter code, is one of its biggest selling points.

It's really not "Notepad on steroids."   The plus plus part seems to hark directly back to the increment operator in the C programming language (at least I think C was the first high-level language to use it, but I could be wrong).
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

      ~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

 

 

Re: Free .RTF file creater

JM Casey
 

I wouldn’t use autocorrect, personally, and I thought that the oS had something a little more convenient/comprehensive. Oh well. That’s kind of a drag…

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: June 30, 2020 12:52 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Free .RTF file creater

 

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 11:39 AM, JM Casey wrote:

Windows 10 has a spell-checker though;

It didn't initially occur to me that you might be referring to the Spell Checking feature in Settings, Devices, Typing.

By default, this is turned on, but ONLY for the software keyboard (touch screen).  There are two toggles for the hardware keyboard that are OFF by default: Show text suggestions as I type and Autocorrect misspelled words as I type.  Even in combination, these do not behave like a conventional spell checker.

In conjunction with the suggestions toggle there is a separate multilingual toggle that allows you to show text suggestions based on the recognized languages you're typing in.

The show text suggestions as I type toggle results in a situation that would drive me insane if I were a screen reader user, and that is having a list of three words or phrases showing up every time I pause for about a second, reading the first word and saying "one of three" when using NVDA.  Autocorrect might work better, but you have to be using common dictionary words rather than any specialized jargon.


 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

      ~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

 

 

Re: Free .RTF file creater

Cristóbal
 

Google Sheets is also accessible. Oddly enough though, I find it to be more accessible in Firefox than with Chrome. I'm mainly a Jaws user though so don't know if that has any influence.

Cristóbal

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rosemarie Chavarria
Sent: Monday, June 29, 2020 11:03 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Free .RTF file creater

The only two programs I know of thathavespread sheets are open office and libre office. You could give either one a try and let us know if they work.



On 6/29/2020 11:55 AM, Hettie wrote:
Thanks Rosemarie, will try it and give my feedback. Any idea of a
spreadsheet program that will work?


Hettie

On 2020/06/29 8:13 pm, Jackie wrote:
I'm afraid, Hettie, that you might not find Softmaker, especially the
spreadsheet portion, as accessible as you might need. Please let us
know how it works for you.

On 6/29/20, Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@...> wrote:
I use jarte and it works great for me.



Re: Free .RTF file creater

Cristóbal
 

Lemme ask Brian, I’ve had my machines on Office 2016 via eBay keys I’ve purchased for a while now.

Can one upgrade from 16 to 19 or would it be too much of a hassle and a simple reinstall  be better?

 

Cristóbal

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 7:07 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Free .RTF file creater

 

I will also note that with the rise of the grey market, starting in the EU, it is entirely possible to get MS-Office licenses for a song.  And Office 2019 is now commonly available on the grey market since there have been a lot of computers that had it installed that are already being decommissioned.

I just bought an Office 2019 license from the grey market (on eBay, in this specific case) for a residential client that I will be installing later this afternoon.

On the Grey Market  (PDF on Google Drive)

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

      ~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

 

 

Re: Free .RTF file creater

 

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 11:39 AM, JM Casey wrote:
Windows 10 has a spell-checker though;
It didn't initially occur to me that you might be referring to the Spell Checking feature in Settings, Devices, Typing.

By default, this is turned on, but ONLY for the software keyboard (touch screen).  There are two toggles for the hardware keyboard that are OFF by default: Show text suggestions as I type and Autocorrect misspelled words as I type.  Even in combination, these do not behave like a conventional spell checker.

In conjunction with the suggestions toggle there is a separate multilingual toggle that allows you to show text suggestions based on the recognized languages you're typing in.

The show text suggestions as I type toggle results in a situation that would drive me insane if I were a screen reader user, and that is having a list of three words or phrases showing up every time I pause for about a second, reading the first word and saying "one of three" when using NVDA.  Autocorrect might work better, but you have to be using common dictionary words rather than any specialized jargon.


 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

      ~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

 

 

Re: Nvda addon Notepad plus plus

 

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 11:41 AM, JM Casey wrote:
Remarkable little programme.
Indeed it is.   But it is really not a general purpose text processor.  It's aimed at the programming community, and the ability for it to recognize the language syntax of multiple programming languages, and to syntax check as you enter code, is one of its biggest selling points.

It's really not "Notepad on steroids."   The plus plus part seems to hark directly back to the increment operator in the C programming language (at least I think C was the first high-level language to use it, but I could be wrong).
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

      ~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

 

 

Re: Free .RTF file creater

 

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 11:39 AM, JM Casey wrote:
Windows 10 has a spell-checker though;
-
WordPad has never had a built-in spell-checker under any version of Windows, including Windows 10 (regardless of edition).  You can get a companion program, tinySpell (and there are likely others), to add it not only to WordPad but other text processing that doesn't have it already under Windows.

See:  https://windowsloop.com/enable-wordpad-spell-check/


 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

      ~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019