Date   

Re: NVDA User Guide doesn't open in default browser

Gene
 

It leaves the possibility opened but it is meant to convey very great doubt. I'm saying that I don't have such doubt.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, February 01, 2021 6:46 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA User Guide doesn't open in default browser

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 05:08 PM, Gene wrote:
I was responding to Sarah saying it doesn't seem possible.-
And I was responding to your glossing over of the use of "seem," which you've just done again, in another way.

Saying something is seemingly impossible does not, and never has, meant it's literally impossible, or not happening. In fact "seemingly impossible" or "seems impossible" is most often used when discussing something one believes would be impossible but know has actually happened.

--


Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042

The depths of denial one can be pushed to by outside forces of disapproval can make you not even recognize yourself to yourself.

~ Brian Vogel


Re: NVDA User Guide doesn't open in default browser

 

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 05:08 PM, Gene wrote:
I was responding to Sarah saying it doesn't seem possible.
-
And I was responding to your glossing over of the use of "seem," which you've just done again, in another way.

Saying something is seemingly impossible does not, and never has, meant it's literally impossible, or not happening.  In fact "seemingly impossible" or "seems impossible" is most often used when discussing something one believes would be impossible but know has actually happened.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

The depths of denial one can be pushed to by outside forces of disapproval can make you not even recognize yourself to yourself.

       ~ Brian Vogel

 


Re: Problems with NVDA and Formulars in MS word

Gene
 

That's what is telling the screen-reader to use whatever language is specified. There is also a dialect tag. I don't know if they are generally both used, but I've seen complaints from people who go to a web page and their screen-reader suddenly starts speaking with a different English accent.

My understanding is that turning off automatic language switching will stop this behavior.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
From: Quentin Christensen
Sent: Monday, February 01, 2021 5:07 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Problems with NVDA and Formulars in MS word


If you disable 'Automatic language switching" does it make a difference?

I just had a quick look at the code and for me the only Lang attribute I can find on the page (reading the original message in GMail's web interface) is in the HTML tag itself: <html lang="en">

Very curious.


On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 8:33 AM Gene <gsasner@gmail.com> wrote:
It has to do with automatic language switching. HTML identifies the
language being used and if automatic language switching is on in NVDA and
supported by the synthesizer being used, the symthesizer will try to speak
in the language designated in the HTML.

I don't know enough about the setting to discuss turning it off nor which
synthesizers support it.

Gene
-----Original Message-----
From: Sarah k Alawami
Sent: Monday, February 01, 2021 2:31 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Problems with NVDA and Formulars in MS word



I have not changed anything. I don't even know how to read anything other
than English. But her messages come through in French or something like
that.



Here is the odd thing. If I select, I can read the message but if I just
listen, at least with my speech synth it comes out in some odd language. I
even tried with espeak. Here is a very short file of what I mean. I dun no
even how I should submit this to GitHub as this might be a picnic error, at
least for the 2 of us who hear it.



Link to db file is here.





-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf of Bob Cavanaugh
Sent: Monday, February 1, 2021 11:46 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Problems with NVDA and Formulars in MS word



That is indeed odd, as all your messages come in in English for me.

Christina's messages however read in another language using Gmail's web
interface. When Brian quotes them, they come through in English.

This has happened occasionally on this list, and only this list.



On 2/1/21, Quentin Christensen <quentin@nvaccess.org> wrote:

Sarah,
This is the second message you've said came through in another
languages - it's in English for me, and NVDA reads it in English just
fine. I'm trying to think what the issue you are hitting could be -
I would have assumed even if you had somehow set Outlook to use
another language, it still wouldn't automatically translate messages,
just the interface (much like if you set NVDA's interface language to
another language, it only changes how NVDA's menus are presented and
NVDA messages and words are spoken - not for instance the text of an
email.
On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 3:15 PM Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@gmail.com> wrote:
I have no idea what the conversation was about, but would Microsoft
sway work? I’m only going based on your ideas, Quentin. It shows up
in another language here in outlook. Sorry if I’m way off base here.
Tc all.
*From:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> *On Behalf Of
*Quentin Christensen
*Sent:* Sunday, January 31, 2021 8:09 PM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] Problems with NVDA and Formulars in MS word
I thought we had an issue for this, but I can't find it just now.
These content controls on the developer ribbon have always been
problematic in one way or another (and if not in entering them, then
in filling in the forms they create).
So the other part of this is - what are you trying to make? Word is
likely not the best solution for creating something like a form you
want people to fill in like this. Something like Google forms are
popular for online survey type forms. For something you want people
to be able to either fill out on the PC, or print out, use a regular,
ordinary table:
- Have two columns where the cell in the left column is the label
("name", "address", etc), and the right column is where you type your
response
- For longer responses, have a full table-width cell with the label
("Please explain why you want to go to Mars?") and a full table-width
cell below that to enter the response.
A table like this can be printed and filled in by pen, or you can tab
through the table and fill in details as appropriate, and it will
work for just about everyone.
Quentin
On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 3:20 AM Cristina Ebetiuc
<ebetiucristina@gmail.com>
wrote:
Good afternoon everybody!
I have got some issues with NVDA in relation with Formulars in word.
1. NVDA doesn’t Show the old Formulars from the developer Tools. I t
Looks like they have iven not been incerted.
2. NVDA Shows the new Formulars from the developer Tools but does not
read the names. I have called a chekbox yes, but NVDA does not
Show the
Name. Nothing does not work nor in read mode neither in Focus
mode. Can you
helpp me further?
I am Looking foreward to receiving your feetback!
greetings
Gesendet von Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>
für Windows 10
--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager
Web: www.nvaccess.org
Training: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
Certification: https://certification.nvaccess.org/
User group: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess <https://twitter.com/NVAccess>
--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager
Web: www.nvaccess.org
Training: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
Certification: https://certification.nvaccess.org/
User group: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess <https://twitter.com/NVAccess>





















--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager


Web: www.nvaccess.org
Training: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
Certification: https://certification.nvaccess.org/
User group: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess


Re: Problems with NVDA and Formulars in MS word

Quentin Christensen
 

If you disable 'Automatic language switching" does it make a difference?

I just had a quick look at the code and for me the only Lang attribute I can find on the page (reading the original message in GMail's web interface) is in the HTML tag itself: <html lang="en">

Very curious.

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 8:33 AM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
It has to do with automatic language switching.  HTML identifies the
language being used and if automatic language switching is on in NVDA and
supported by the synthesizer being used, the symthesizer will try to speak
in the language designated in the HTML.

I don't know enough about the setting to discuss turning it off nor which
synthesizers support it.

Gene
-----Original Message-----
From: Sarah k Alawami
Sent: Monday, February 01, 2021 2:31 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Problems with NVDA and Formulars in MS word



I have not changed anything. I don't even know how to read anything other
than English. But her messages come through in French or something like
that.



Here is the odd thing. If I select, I can read the message but if I just
listen, at least with my speech synth it comes out in some odd language.  I
even tried with espeak. Here is a very short file of what I mean. I dun no
even how I should submit this to GitHub as this might be a picnic error, at
least for the 2 of us who hear it.



Link to db file is here.





-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf of Bob Cavanaugh
Sent: Monday, February 1, 2021 11:46 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Problems with NVDA and Formulars in MS word



That is indeed odd, as all your messages come in in English for me.

Christina's messages however read in another language using Gmail's web
interface. When Brian quotes them, they come through in English.

This has happened occasionally on this list, and only this list.



On 2/1/21, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:

> Sarah,

>

> This is the second message you've said came through in another

> languages - it's in English for me, and NVDA reads it in English just

> fine.  I'm trying to think what the issue you are hitting could be  -

> I would have assumed even if you had somehow set Outlook to use

> another language, it still wouldn't automatically translate messages,

> just the interface (much like if you set NVDA's interface language to

> another language, it only changes how NVDA's menus are presented and

> NVDA messages and words are spoken - not for instance the text of an
> email.

>

>

>

> On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 3:15 PM Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:

>

>> I have no idea what the conversation was about,  but would Microsoft

>> sway work? I’m only going based on your ideas, Quentin. It shows up

>> in another language here in outlook. Sorry if I’m way off base here.

>>

>>

>>

>> Tc all.

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>> *From:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> *On Behalf Of

>> *Quentin Christensen

>> *Sent:* Sunday, January 31, 2021 8:09 PM

>> *To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io

>> *Subject:* Re: [nvda] Problems with NVDA and Formulars in MS word

>>

>>

>>

>> I thought we had an issue for this, but I can't find it just now.

>> These content controls on the developer ribbon have always been

>> problematic in one way or another (and if not in entering them, then

>> in filling in the forms they create).

>>

>>

>>

>> So the other part of this is - what are you trying to make?  Word is

>> likely not the best solution for creating something like a form you

>> want people to fill in like this.  Something like Google forms are

>> popular for online survey type forms.  For something you want people

>> to be able to either fill out on the PC, or print out, use a regular,
>> ordinary table:

>>

>>

>>

>> - Have two columns where the cell in the left column is the label

>> ("name", "address", etc), and the right column is where you type your

>> response

>>

>> - For longer responses, have a full table-width cell with the label

>> ("Please explain why you want to go to Mars?") and a full table-width

>> cell below that to enter the response.

>>

>>

>>

>> A table like this can be printed and filled in by pen, or you can tab

>> through the table and fill in details as appropriate, and it will

>> work for just about everyone.

>>

>>

>>

>> Quentin

>>

>>

>>

>> On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 3:20 AM Cristina Ebetiuc

>> <ebetiucristina@...>

>> wrote:

>>

>> Good afternoon everybody!

>> I have got some issues with NVDA in relation with Formulars in word.

>>

>>    1. NVDA doesn’t Show the old Formulars from the developer Tools. I t

>>    Looks like they have iven not been incerted.

>>    2. NVDA Shows the new Formulars from the developer Tools but does not

>>    read the names. I have called a chekbox yes, but NVDA does not

>> Show the

>>    Name. Nothing does not work nor in read mode neither in Focus

>> mode. Can you

>>    helpp me further?

>>

>> I am Looking foreward to receiving your feetback!

>>

>> greetings

>>

>>

>>

>> Gesendet von Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>

>> für Windows 10

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>> --

>>

>> Quentin Christensen

>> Training and Support Manager

>>

>>

>>

>> Web: www.nvaccess.org

>>

>> Training: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

>>

>> Certification: https://certification.nvaccess.org/

>>

>> User group: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda

>>

>> Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess

>> Twitter: @NVAccess <https://twitter.com/NVAccess>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>

> --

> Quentin Christensen

> Training and Support Manager

>

> Web: www.nvaccess.org

> Training: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

> Certification: https://certification.nvaccess.org/

> User group: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda

> Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess

> Twitter: @NVAccess <https://twitter.com/NVAccess>

>

>

>

>

>

>




















--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager


Re: NVDA User Guide doesn't open in default browser

Gene
 

I was responding to Sarah saying it doesn't seem possible.  I was saying that even if unusual or rare, the description of the problem is detailed enough that I believe it is happening as described.


Gene

On 2/1/2021 3:55 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 04:40 PM, Gene wrote:
If it happens, it is possible.
-
Of course.  But the statement was it does not seem possible, and it really does not seem possible.

I absolutely believe it is happening, and if anything I said is taken to imply otherwise I apologize for even giving that impression.  As a computer tech of many decades, I am acutely aware that nothing is too strange to have occurred (or be occurring).  At the same time, it remains unbelievable.

One of the signature quotes I use that hasn't been in recent rotation:

    Though a good deal is too strange to be believed, nothing is too strange to have happened.

        ~ Thomas Hardy

 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

The depths of denial one can be pushed to by outside forces of disapproval can make you not even recognize yourself to yourself.

       ~ Brian Vogel

 


Re: edge and gmail

 

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 04:59 PM, Gene wrote:
If people would tell us what the actual problem is, they would often get faster and better help.

Amen to that!

Most problems precisely defined are already partially solved.

         ~ Harry Lorayne, Memory Makes Money
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

The depths of denial one can be pushed to by outside forces of disapproval can make you not even recognize yourself to yourself.

       ~ Brian Vogel

 


Re: edge and gmail

Gene
 

If people would tell us what the actual problem is, they would often get faster and better help. I see people many times ask how to do something and not describe the problem they are trying to solve.

Now that we know the actual problem, we can address it.

You can get to the button in Firefox. Do the following:
In Browse mode, move to the top of the page. Tab once to the first link. On this page, browse mode doesn't necessarily line up with the underlying page. Tabbing once aligns them. Go into forms mode.
Shift tab perhaps two or three times. You will be on the button.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
From: Shaun Everiss
Sent: Monday, February 01, 2021 3:42 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] edge and gmail



AAh ok.

Well just tried on uninstalling and reinstalling edge and its still doing that.

Its working ok on my intel based system so could be an amd issue.

However the reason I was using edge was so I could switch to basic view because for some reason my firefox doesn't seem to have that button showing.

After fiddling round online I managed to find how to get the links to both modes.

Unless they change, I have set a couple cutt.us links to run this on any brouser.

www.cutt.us/gmaildefault will give standard view.

www.cutt.us/gmailweb will give basic view.

Its certainly better than bothering to even use edge at all, now if only I could get msn weather to load in firefox without using edge that would be good, but that at least works well enough.

I will try the rc and send the nvda team once I have more data on this thing but its not as urgent as it once was, as I have hacked my way around it at least for now.




The reason I was using edge at all for gmail was that





On 2/02/2021 9:55 am, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 03:48 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
what is quentin's email address?-
He has always requested that stuff like this be sent to info@nvaccess.org, and include an explanation of why the log is being sent in the email message itself.

--


Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042

The depths of denial one can be pushed to by outside forces of disapproval can make you not even recognize yourself to yourself.

~ Brian Vogel


Re: NVDA User Guide doesn't open in default browser

 

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 04:40 PM, Gene wrote:
If it happens, it is possible.
-
Of course.  But the statement was it does not seem possible, and it really does not seem possible.

I absolutely believe it is happening, and if anything I said is taken to imply otherwise I apologize for even giving that impression.  As a computer tech of many decades, I am acutely aware that nothing is too strange to have occurred (or be occurring).  At the same time, it remains unbelievable.

One of the signature quotes I use that hasn't been in recent rotation:

    Though a good deal is too strange to be believed, nothing is too strange to have happened.

        ~ Thomas Hardy

 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

The depths of denial one can be pushed to by outside forces of disapproval can make you not even recognize yourself to yourself.

       ~ Brian Vogel

 


Re: NVDA User Guide doesn't open in default browser

 

I agree, thats the only issue and I have gotten round it,

But maybe will send logs to see whats going weird.

Nothing bar nvda is crashing, so its probably some interaction issue but as I said I have managed to get round it for now anyway.

On 2/02/2021 10:42 am, Gene wrote:
This is a very minor problem and, unless other problems are seen, I don't think it is worth doing all this work to swat a fly.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, February 01, 2021 3:39 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA User Guide doesn't open in default browser

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 04:12 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
That [NVDA opening HTML files in something other than the default browser] does not seem possible.-
And I'll declare that you are 100% correct.  I can change default browsers and every time I do, if I open the Keyboard Commands Quick Reference it opens in whatever the default browser is.

I stand by my earlier assertion that this is an idiosyncrasy on the machine in question.  And when you see that sort of idiosyncrasy, that is highly suggestive that there are likely to be others not yet encountered.  It makes sense to do one (or if necessary, both), of the following:

Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file


Re: NVDA User Guide doesn't open in default browser

Gene
 

This is a very minor problem and, unless other problems are seen, I don't think it is worth doing all this work to swat a fly.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, February 01, 2021 3:39 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA User Guide doesn't open in default browser

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 04:12 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
That [NVDA opening HTML files in something other than the default browser] does not seem possible.-
And I'll declare that you are 100% correct. I can change default browsers and every time I do, if I open the Keyboard Commands Quick Reference it opens in whatever the default browser is.

I stand by my earlier assertion that this is an idiosyncrasy on the machine in question. And when you see that sort of idiosyncrasy, that is highly suggestive that there are likely to be others not yet encountered. It makes sense to do one (or if necessary, both), of the following:

Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

--


Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042

The depths of denial one can be pushed to by outside forces of disapproval can make you not even recognize yourself to yourself.

~ Brian Vogel


Re: edge and gmail

 

AAh ok.

Well just tried on uninstalling and reinstalling edge and its still doing that.

Its working ok on my intel based system so could be an amd issue.

However the reason I was using edge was so I could switch to basic view because for some reason my firefox doesn't seem to have that button showing.

After fiddling round online I managed to find how to get the links to both modes.

Unless they change, I have set a couple cutt.us links to run this on any brouser.

www.cutt.us/gmaildefault will give standard view.

www.cutt.us/gmailweb will give basic view.

Its certainly better than bothering to even use edge at all, now if only I could get msn weather to load in firefox without using edge that would be good, but that at least works well enough.

I will try the rc and send the nvda team once I have more data on this thing but its not as urgent as it once was, as I have hacked my way around it at least for now.


The reason I was using edge at all for gmail was that


On 2/02/2021 9:55 am, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 03:48 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
what is quentin's email address?
-
He has always requested that stuff like this be sent to info@..., and include an explanation of why the log is being sent in the email message itself.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

The depths of denial one can be pushed to by outside forces of disapproval can make you not even recognize yourself to yourself.

       ~ Brian Vogel

 


Re: NVDA User Guide doesn't open in default browser

Gene
 

If it happens, it is possible. I seldom say that an odd problem is not possible because I've seen all sorts of rare strange things happen. If I make sure a problem is reported accurately or the message sent is detailed enough to know it is, I usually accept reports of odd behavior.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
From: Sarah k Alawami
Sent: Monday, February 01, 2021 3:11 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA User Guide doesn't open in default browser



That does not seem possible. If you have your html files etc set to open in edge, all of them should open in edge, at least that’s what I’ve been told over the years. Since nvda’s shortcut has to lead to an html help file, it should in theory open up in edge or what ever you set up to open html files.



Good luck.



From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Louise Pfau
Sent: Monday, February 1, 2021 11:10 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA User Guide doesn't open in default browser



Hi. When I opened the user guide from the NVDA website, it opened in Edge. It seems to be the shortcuts to the user guide in the NVDA menus that open in another browser.

Thanks,

Louise


Re: NVDA User Guide doesn't open in default browser

 

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 04:12 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
That [NVDA opening HTML files in something other than the default browser] does not seem possible.
-
And I'll declare that you are 100% correct.  I can change default browsers and every time I do, if I open the Keyboard Commands Quick Reference it opens in whatever the default browser is.

I stand by my earlier assertion that this is an idiosyncrasy on the machine in question.  And when you see that sort of idiosyncrasy, that is highly suggestive that there are likely to be others not yet encountered.  It makes sense to do one (or if necessary, both), of the following:

Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

The depths of denial one can be pushed to by outside forces of disapproval can make you not even recognize yourself to yourself.

       ~ Brian Vogel

 


Re: Problems with NVDA and Formulars in MS word

Gene
 

It has to do with automatic language switching. HTML identifies the language being used and if automatic language switching is on in NVDA and supported by the synthesizer being used, the symthesizer will try to speak in the language designated in the HTML.

I don't know enough about the setting to discuss turning it off nor which synthesizers support it.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
From: Sarah k Alawami
Sent: Monday, February 01, 2021 2:31 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Problems with NVDA and Formulars in MS word



I have not changed anything. I don't even know how to read anything other than English. But her messages come through in French or something like that.



Here is the odd thing. If I select, I can read the message but if I just listen, at least with my speech synth it comes out in some odd language. I even tried with espeak. Here is a very short file of what I mean. I dun no even how I should submit this to GitHub as this might be a picnic error, at least for the 2 of us who hear it.



Link to db file is here.





-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf of Bob Cavanaugh
Sent: Monday, February 1, 2021 11:46 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Problems with NVDA and Formulars in MS word



That is indeed odd, as all your messages come in in English for me.

Christina's messages however read in another language using Gmail's web interface. When Brian quotes them, they come through in English.

This has happened occasionally on this list, and only this list.



On 2/1/21, Quentin Christensen <quentin@nvaccess.org> wrote:

Sarah,
This is the second message you've said came through in another
languages - it's in English for me, and NVDA reads it in English just
fine. I'm trying to think what the issue you are hitting could be -
I would have assumed even if you had somehow set Outlook to use
another language, it still wouldn't automatically translate messages,
just the interface (much like if you set NVDA's interface language to
another language, it only changes how NVDA's menus are presented and
NVDA messages and words are spoken - not for instance the text of an email.
On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 3:15 PM Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@gmail.com> wrote:
I have no idea what the conversation was about, but would Microsoft
sway work? I’m only going based on your ideas, Quentin. It shows up
in another language here in outlook. Sorry if I’m way off base here.
Tc all.
*From:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> *On Behalf Of
*Quentin Christensen
*Sent:* Sunday, January 31, 2021 8:09 PM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] Problems with NVDA and Formulars in MS word
I thought we had an issue for this, but I can't find it just now.
These content controls on the developer ribbon have always been
problematic in one way or another (and if not in entering them, then
in filling in the forms they create).
So the other part of this is - what are you trying to make? Word is
likely not the best solution for creating something like a form you
want people to fill in like this. Something like Google forms are
popular for online survey type forms. For something you want people
to be able to either fill out on the PC, or print out, use a regular, ordinary table:
- Have two columns where the cell in the left column is the label
("name", "address", etc), and the right column is where you type your
response
- For longer responses, have a full table-width cell with the label
("Please explain why you want to go to Mars?") and a full table-width
cell below that to enter the response.
A table like this can be printed and filled in by pen, or you can tab
through the table and fill in details as appropriate, and it will
work for just about everyone.
Quentin
On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 3:20 AM Cristina Ebetiuc
<ebetiucristina@gmail.com>
wrote:
Good afternoon everybody!
I have got some issues with NVDA in relation with Formulars in word.
1. NVDA doesn’t Show the old Formulars from the developer Tools. I t
Looks like they have iven not been incerted.
2. NVDA Shows the new Formulars from the developer Tools but does not
read the names. I have called a chekbox yes, but NVDA does not
Show the
Name. Nothing does not work nor in read mode neither in Focus
mode. Can you
helpp me further?
I am Looking foreward to receiving your feetback!
greetings
Gesendet von Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>
für Windows 10
--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager
Web: www.nvaccess.org
Training: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
Certification: https://certification.nvaccess.org/
User group: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess <https://twitter.com/NVAccess>
--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager
Web: www.nvaccess.org
Training: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
Certification: https://certification.nvaccess.org/
User group: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess <https://twitter.com/NVAccess>


Re: Problems with NVDA and Formulars in MS word

Sarah k Alawami
 

Hmm, I’m using outlook over here. As I demonstrated, if I select, I can read it in the English voice. But if I just up and down arrow it reads in the German accent or what ever you said. If I said French in the recording, I apologize deeply.

 

Well, I do hope that the OP gets their problem fixed either in excel or if they need a form by using sway or google forms.

 

Good luck and happy Monday.

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Louise Pfau
Sent: Monday, February 1, 2021 1:00 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Problems with NVDA and Formulars in MS word

 

Hi Sarah.  It's reading English with a German accent.  Interestingly, when I read the subject line using the groups.io web interface, it did the same thing for me when reading the colon in "re:", but not the rest of the information.  I'm using the Windows OneCore voices.

Louise


Re: NVDA User Guide doesn't open in default browser

Sarah k Alawami
 

That does not seem possible. If you have your html files etc set to open in edge, all of them should open in  edge, at least that’s what I’ve been told over the years. Since nvda’s shortcut has to lead to an html help file, it should in theory open up in edge or what ever you set up to open html files.

 

Good luck.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Louise Pfau
Sent: Monday, February 1, 2021 11:10 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA User Guide doesn't open in default browser

 

Hi.  When I opened the user guide from the NVDA website, it opened in Edge.  It seems to be the shortcuts to the user guide in the NVDA menus that open in another browser.

Thanks,

Louise


Re: Problems with NVDA and Formulars in MS word

Louise Pfau
 

Hi Sarah.  It's reading English with a German accent.  Interestingly, when I read the subject line using the groups.io web interface, it did the same thing for me when reading the colon in "re:", but not the rest of the information.  I'm using the Windows OneCore voices.

Louise


Re: edge and gmail

 

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 02:11 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
The other thing, chkdsk, microsoft says its fixed, but it screws up ntfs partitions, this means another reformat, so no on both accounts.
-
Shaun,

          As moderator, I am going to issue this warning but once:  Stop posting utterly inaccurate information.  This is absolutely untrue and anyone who has been around Windows for decades knows it to be so.

           Your assertion about repair installs is incorrect also.

            You do not ever seem to notice how idiosyncratic virtually all your problems are.  And you are the only person I know who has had to do as many "nuke and pave" reinstalls as you have.  That tells me something, and it isn't good.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

The depths of denial one can be pushed to by outside forces of disapproval can make you not even recognize yourself to yourself.

       ~ Brian Vogel

 


Re: edge and gmail

 

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 03:48 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
what is quentin's email address?
-
He has always requested that stuff like this be sent to info@..., and include an explanation of why the log is being sent in the email message itself.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

The depths of denial one can be pushed to by outside forces of disapproval can make you not even recognize yourself to yourself.

       ~ Brian Vogel

 


Re: edge and gmail

 

what is quentin's email address?

I'll send it to him some time today.

On 2/02/2021 9:22 am, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
Email the log to quenten, or attach the log in a bug report on github, or in a comment if there is a bug report on said issue. The markdown will take care of the rest.

Good luck.



-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shaun Everiss
Sent: Monday, February 1, 2021 11:18 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] edge and gmail

Well did more testing.

if I go to www.gmail.com and start typing in the user field, nvda will crash, I restart nvda, and it will work till I restart the system.

So its some sort of interacting issue.

Once nvda is started, then.

if anyone wants a log that will be fine I am using the latest edge stable.



On 2/02/2021 8:12 am, Mike Capelle wrote:
Weird, I use chkdsk all the time, and it works no problem on ntfs.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shaun
Everiss
Sent: Monday, February 1, 2021 1:11 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] edge and gmail

Hmph, well its only happening with edge.

As for a full repair, no, for various reasons, firstly I did that on a
system running latest update and had to revert because it screwed
things so badly it was revert or reformat and I didn't have time.

The other thing, chkdsk, microsoft says its fixed, but it screws up
ntfs partitions, this means another reformat, so no on both accounts.

To be honest, I may try to turn off uia in edge and run with it like that.

No idea why edge interacts like that, but its not edge itself it seems
to be nvda if push comes to shove I may just install chrome, there is
nothing wrong with my system its just edge interacting weirdly with
google for some reason.



On 2/02/2021 5:06 am, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
Have you considered scanning for problems on your disk, and doing a windows repair if necessary? This sounds more like an windows issue to me as knock on wood, no one else has reported this issue.


-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shaun
Everiss
Sent: Monday, February 1, 2021 2:09 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] edge and gmail

Yes, truth is after I restart nvda I can login just fine, something seems to trip up speech causing nvda to freeze at least 3 stacks, but edge itself is not crashed just nvda.

A restart of nvda will have me able to continue to login my session though so its not a big issue.

Sadly, microsoft sites I used to use have completely gone away from explorer including weather as of this week and my version of firefox will not run them so I am stuck to using either chrome or edge and microsoft keeps wanting me to use edge no matter what I use so edge is what I use for microsoft things right now.

Its fine if I don't login but still.



On 1/02/2021 1:23 pm, Gene wrote:
We'll see if others report the problem. Have you been successful at
logging in with earlier versions of either program?

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Shaun Everiss
Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2021 6:19 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] edge and gmail

No, second or third, I do have the latest update of edge though.

If I restart nvda it will work, and edge itself hasn't crashed but I
do need to restart nvda then edge will work as normal.



On 1/02/2021 1:09 pm, Gene wrote:
Is this the first time you have signed in to Google with Edge? I
suspect that if this were a general problem, we would have heard
quite a bit about it before now.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Shaun Everiss
Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2021 6:00 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] edge and gmail

Hi.

Found this while checking email in gmail, nvda crashes at the sign
screen.

I won't send the log to anyone unless someone wants it but it looks
like i accessible and uia having a war.





















.













5201 - 5220 of 86504