Date   

Re: suddenly object review quit working like it should

Gene
 

It may, I use the Clipspeak add-on and that may cause the announcement.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
From: Luke Davis
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2021 3:20 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] suddenly object review quit working like it should

Gene, could that possibly be from an add-on? Whether in browse mode or out,
control+v does not announce as paste in input help as far as I can tell.

Gene wrote:

NVDA does tell you that control v is paste. there are times where input help is sensative, swuch as in browse mode. Input help will tell you the quick navigation keys if you are in browse mode. If you are not in a prohgram where browse mode is active, it won't.


Re: suddenly object review quit working like it should

Chris Smart
 

It doesn't have screenreader-specific help associated with itt, because it's a standard Windows keyboard shortcut, and not specific to any screenreader.

On 2021-04-22 4:20 p.m., Luke Davis wrote:
Gene, could that possibly be from an add-on? Whether in browse mode or out, control+v does not announce as paste in input help as far as I can tell.

Gene wrote:

NVDA does tell you that control v is paste.  there are times where input help is sensative, swuch as in browse mode.  Input help will tell you the quick navigation keys if you are in browse mode.  If you are not in a prohgram where browse mode is active, it won't.



Re: suddenly object review quit working like it should

Chris Smart
 

2002 is relevant?



On 2021-04-22 7:00 p.m., Sarah k Alawami wrote:

I can attest to that with nvda and voiceover. I thought though jaws did say "pastes the contents of the clipboard," etc. Or at least this was the case in 2002 with jaws 3.1.

--

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on twitch. Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.
Finally, you can support my work on happs, the network of now.

On 22 Apr 2021, at 15:10, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 04:20 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
Whether in browse mode or out, control+v does not announce as paste in input help as far as I can tell.
-
The description of NVDA Help (NVDA+1):  Pressing any key in this mode will report the key, and the description of any NVDA command associated with it
 
Note well what follows the word "and."  CTRL+V is not an NVDA Command, it is a Windows Command.  My understanding of both NVDA Help and its JAWS analog are that each will only present descriptions of key sequences that are associated with the screen reader functions, and nothing else.  Windows functions are not part of JAWS or NVDA nor are specific program shortcuts that the screen reader is interacting with.  I'd expect that giving any shortcut sequence not associated with NVDA itself will result in silence.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

 


Re: suddenly object review quit working like it should

Sarah k Alawami
 

I can attest to that with nvda and voiceover. I thought though jaws did say "pastes the contents of the clipboard," etc. Or at least this was the case in 2002 with jaws 3.1.

--

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on twitch. Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.
Finally, you can support my work on happs, the network of now.

On 22 Apr 2021, at 15:10, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 04:20 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
Whether in browse mode or out, control+v does not announce as paste in input help as far as I can tell.
-
The description of NVDA Help (NVDA+1):  Pressing any key in this mode will report the key, and the description of any NVDA command associated with it
 
Note well what follows the word "and."  CTRL+V is not an NVDA Command, it is a Windows Command.  My understanding of both NVDA Help and its JAWS analog are that each will only present descriptions of key sequences that are associated with the screen reader functions, and nothing else.  Windows functions are not part of JAWS or NVDA nor are specific program shortcuts that the screen reader is interacting with.  I'd expect that giving any shortcut sequence not associated with NVDA itself will result in silence.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

 


Re: suddenly object review quit working like it should

 

On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 04:20 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
Whether in browse mode or out, control+v does not announce as paste in input help as far as I can tell.
-
The description of NVDA Help (NVDA+1):  Pressing any key in this mode will report the key, and the description of any NVDA command associated with it
 
Note well what follows the word "and."  CTRL+V is not an NVDA Command, it is a Windows Command.  My understanding of both NVDA Help and its JAWS analog are that each will only present descriptions of key sequences that are associated with the screen reader functions, and nothing else.  Windows functions are not part of JAWS or NVDA nor are specific program shortcuts that the screen reader is interacting with.  I'd expect that giving any shortcut sequence not associated with NVDA itself will result in silence.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

 


Re: suddenly object review quit working like it should

Kenny Peyattt jr. <p.wildcat1234@...>
 

That stinks.


Kenny Peyatt jr.


Re: NVDA - Inconsistent Behavior when working with MS-Outlook

Kenny Peyattt jr. <p.wildcat1234@...>
 

I like Outlook better than Thunderbird. Yes office 365 is a little pricy but it is more accessible.


Kenny Peyatt jr.


Re: suddenly object review quit working like it should

Luke Davis
 

Gene, could that possibly be from an add-on? Whether in browse mode or out, control+v does not announce as paste in input help as far as I can tell.

Gene wrote:

NVDA does tell you that control v is paste. there are times where input help is sensative, swuch as in browse mode. Input help will tell you the quick navigation keys if you are in browse mode. If you are not in a prohgram where browse mode is active, it won't.


Re: suddenly object review quit working like it should

Gene
 

NVDA does tell you that control v is paste. there are times where input help is sensative, swuch as in browse mode. Input help will tell you the quick navigation keys if you are in browse mode. If you are not in a prohgram where browse mode is active, it won't.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
From: tim
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2021 12:27 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] suddenly object review quit working like it should



Sorry, had to laugh at the use of input help. Never seen that do any except tell you the keys you hit. For example, control + v should say paste, but it just states keys hit. Now it should state its use in all apps, but just keys hit.

Now the one in JFW is at least editable to assign what it don't know.





On 4/21/2021 3:05 PM, Jacob Kruger wrote:


Sarah, first thing I would check is if your keyboard input language hasn't changed by accident - keystroke combinations like either left alt + shift, or windows key + space bar can make this occur if you possibly have more than one language installed under win 10.




Secondly, make sure that if you turn on input help, and then press something like numpad insert + numpad 4, it reports that that keystroke is bound to navigating to the previous navigator object?




Secondly, if you have the obj pad add-on installed, you could try using the NVDA + ctrl + tab keystroke to cycle through it's navigation modes, since when it's set to object navigation mode instead of normal mode, you can use just normal cursor keys to try out forms of object navigation?




Here it is:

https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/objPad.en.html




Good luck



Jacob Kruger
+2782 413 4791
Skype: BlindZA
"...resistance is futile...but, acceptance is versatile..."
On 2021-04-21 05:02 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:


I can’t really describe this, but my pc curser used to follow the object review curser and I could just from anywhere check my objects in any window I was in by default. This quit working about a few days after I installed About NVDA Nonvisual Desktop Access (NVDA)

Version: 2020.4. I tried running the com reg tool twice. That worked but then it would not. I tried restarting nvda, that didn’t work. I mean the restart worked, but the object curser would not move. I would hear “no next object” and “no containing object even in object review. I can’t really restart with add ons disabled as I can’t tab tot eh ok button. It’s also liked my keys are stuck or something. I’ve been having that issue for ever now.



I’m running Windows 10 20H2 (64-bit) build 19042.928



The restart of nvda takes care of the not able to press tab but it add ons disabled does not take care of the no containing object. I’m on outlook typing this right now and I try to just for grins navigate with object view and I cannot. I need to try and go up, find the outlook window, navigate by object into it and, it’s a mess. Sometimes that does not even work. I tried changing my display to something smaller and that worked for a bit, but now even that is failing.



I thought that this was browser only but now this object thing is happening in every app. Anything else I should try and do before I pull my hair out? Half of the stuff I use I rely on screen and object view, and I can’t even get screen review to work. The cursers no longer follow each other. Is there a setting I unchecked in NVDA somewhere that I forgot about as well?



Take care all.


Re: Screen tips for Outlook email links

Gene
 

If you are using the default desktop layout, move to where you want to move the mouse, then issue the command numpad insert numpad slash. Hold the insert and press slash. That moves the mouse to where the object navigator is or to where you are in review mode. If you are in object navigation and are using screen-reader defaults regarding object movement, the object navigator will move where you move if you move in a document or list, etc.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
From: Vaibhav Saraf
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2021 11:16 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Screen tips for Outlook email links


No I don't know the command you are referring to.

I suspect that functionality is not properly functional. I did a tryout and then inspected the code but did not found the Screen tip text I had put in the code.

Thanks,
Vaibhav



On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 at 00:22, Gene <gsasner@gmail.com> wrote:
I don't know but you can experiment by being on the link, then moving the
mouse to the link and see what happens. Do you know the mouse movement
command?

Gene
-----Original Message-----
From: Vaibhav Saraf
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2021 10:44 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Screen tips for Outlook email links


Hi Group,

I got to know today that we can add 'Screen tip' with each link while
composing an email on Outlook. This tip will become visible as a tooltip
when one hovers over the link text.

Is there a way to listen to that tip using NVDA?

Thanks,
Vaibhav


Re: Question about compatibility of "Clock and calendar add-on"

Louise Pfau
 

I just tried to download the add-on, and Microsoft Edge gave a “The download needs attention” alert.  I also checked the compatibility on the add-on page, and it said between NVDA 2014.3-2019.3.
 
Thanks,
 
Louise


Re: Chess programs

anthony borg
 

Hi Brian and all

 

Firstly many thanks for your help, but I finally discovered that the Lichess website it is compatible with NVDA, the problem is that it isn’t compatible with all brousers.

I managed to enabled the website by using the Chrome  brouser.

Tregards

 

Anthony

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: 21 April 2021 17:34
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Chess programs

 

That was Anthony Borg, two days ago, and he asked about Lichess:  

NVDA screen reader user and Lichess user

Since I presumed the question was, in reality, "Is Lichess accessible with NVDA?," I let that go on the main group.  And your reply now indicates that it is.

You are correct that discussions of how to play with Lichess doe belong on the Chat Subgroup.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

 


Re: NVDA - Inconsistent Behavior when working with MS-Outlook

 

Hmph, well you could have a mangled pst database they like to screw themselves to utter hell.

I don't use this myself but a user has a 3gb database with everything in inbox and unordered.

We got an office tech to help him.

His database is totally corrupted.

Now if only I can convince him to save his older mail or import it to his online google system, set the folders up that way, subscribe to all of them then delete all profiles, databases and accounts and manage it all from the web interface it would be fine.

The guy has imap and at least 3 other android phones and tablets and of course thats all dandy, windows though, happy I use thunderbird with important stuff outside it.

I havn't found a good solution thats accessibal enough to use to really fix a screwed up base but oh well.




On 23/04/2021 2:05 am, Matthew Peters wrote:

Greetings,

 

I am a IT guy trying to find solutions for a colleague who uses NVDA. A quick history. My colleague was first introduced to NVDA about a year ago when his computer was upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 10. This required a new screen reader solution which is when I found NVDA. He started using NVDA with relatively few issues and it was running well for the last year. He predominantly uses the desktop for email and OCR tasks so I had Office 2016 and Kurzweil 1000 installed. Recently his computer needed replacement so I set him up with a new computer with Windows 10 release 19042 and Office 2019. We immediately had issues with Outlook. Most of the issues revolve around opening of the email message. Initially I thought this may be due to the Office 2019 install so I rolled it back to Office 2016. This helped a little but issues still exist. One example that started today rather abruptly was that NVDA would read the header information for the message that was opened but would not read the body. I found that I could get some read by right clicking the mouse then left clicking, but that would only read the line the cursor was on. I’ve tried restarting both NVDA and Outlook as well as the computer without any success. I feel like I may not have Outlook or NVDA configured properly. Could anyone provide some insight on what maybe happening and any steps I could take towards rectifying it?

 

Matt Peters

Network & Systems Administrator

St. Johnsbury Academy

mpeters@...

(802) 751-2390​

 

Confidentiality Notice: This email may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). If this email contains confidential and/or privileged health or student information and you are not entitled to access such information under FERPA or HIPAA, federal regulations require that you destroy this email without reviewing it and you may not forward it to anyone.


Re: suddenly object review quit working like it should

tim
 

Sorry, had to laugh at the use of input help. Never seen that do any except tell you the keys you hit. For example, control + v should say paste, but it just states keys hit. Now it should state its use in all apps, but just keys hit.

Now the one in JFW is at least editable to assign what it don't know.


On 4/21/2021 3:05 PM, Jacob Kruger wrote:

Sarah, first thing I would check is if your keyboard input language hasn't changed by accident - keystroke combinations like either left alt + shift, or windows key + space bar can make this occur if you possibly have more than one language installed under win 10.


Secondly, make sure that if you turn on input help, and then press something like numpad insert + numpad 4, it reports that that keystroke is bound to navigating to the previous navigator object?


Secondly, if you have the obj pad add-on installed, you could try using the NVDA + ctrl + tab keystroke to cycle through it's navigation modes, since when it's set to object navigation mode instead of normal mode, you can use just normal cursor keys to try out forms of object navigation?


Here it is:

https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/objPad.en.html


Good luck


Jacob Kruger
+2782 413 4791
Skype: BlindZA
"...resistance is futile...but, acceptance is versatile..."
On 2021-04-21 05:02 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

I can’t really describe this, but my pc curser used to follow the object review curser and I could just from anywhere check my objects in any window I was in by default. This quit working about a few days after I installed About NVDA Nonvisual Desktop Access (NVDA)

Version: 2020.4. I tried running the com reg tool twice. That worked but then it would not. I tried restarting nvda, that didn’t work. I mean the restart worked, but the object curser would not move. I would hear “no next object” and “no containing object even in object review. I can’t really restart with add ons disabled as I can’t tab tot eh ok button. It’s also liked my keys are stuck or something. I’ve been having that issue for ever now.

 

I’m running Windows 10 20H2 (64-bit) build 19042.928

 

The restart of nvda takes care of the not able to press tab  but it add ons disabled does not take care of the no containing object. I’m on outlook typing this right now and I try to just for grins navigate with object view and I cannot. I need to try and go up, find the outlook window, navigate by object into it and, it’s a mess. Sometimes that does not even work. I tried changing my display to something smaller and that worked for a bit, but now even that is failing.

 

I thought that this was browser only but now this object thing is happening in every app. Anything else I should try and do before I pull my hair out? Half of the stuff I use I rely on screen and object view, and I can’t even get screen review to work. The cursers no longer follow each other.  Is there a setting I unchecked in NVDA somewhere that I forgot about as well?

 

Take care all.


Re: IPA phonetic symbol

 

On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 12:14 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
It’s probably possible, but you will need a software keyboard overlay  to input them
Not if you use the unicode file already put together by the professor from Rice University.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

 


Re: Screen tips for Outlook email links

Vaibhav Saraf
 

No I don't know the command you are referring to.

I suspect that functionality is not properly functional. I did a tryout and then inspected the code but did not found the Screen tip text I had put in the code.

Thanks,
Vaibhav


On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 at 00:22, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
I don't know but you can experiment by being on the link, then moving the
mouse to the link and see what happens.  Do you know the mouse movement
command?

Gene
-----Original Message-----
From: Vaibhav Saraf
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2021 10:44 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Screen tips for Outlook email links


Hi Group,

I got to know today that we can add 'Screen tip' with each link while
composing an email on Outlook. This tip will become visible as a tooltip
when one hovers over the link text.

Is there a way to listen to that tip using NVDA?

Thanks,
Vaibhav









Re: IPA phonetic symbol

Sarah k Alawami
 

It’s probably possible, but you will need a software keyboard overlay  to input them in. I would have all symbols on. I took a diction class many many years ago and that’s how we did this.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marco Oros
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2021 4:14 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] IPA phonetic symbol

 

I don't know. I think, that It is impossible.

 

Dňa 22. 4. 2021 o 12:58 farhan israk napísal(a):

How can I read IPA phonetic symbol using talk back or nvda?


Re: NVDA - Inconsistent Behavior when working with MS-Outlook

Vaibhav Saraf
 

Hi Matt,

Does the NVDA announce 'actionable message' when your colleague taps down to the message body from the header? (after load)

I use Office 365 but this occurs sometimes with me especially on auto-generated mails which take a while to load. 

If I start moving my keys instantly on those messages I will get a similar issue, but if I wait a few secs and let it load properly it renders fine.

Thanks,
Vaibhav



On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 at 19:43, Matthew Peters <mpeters@...> wrote:

Greetings,

 

I am a IT guy trying to find solutions for a colleague who uses NVDA. A quick history. My colleague was first introduced to NVDA about a year ago when his computer was upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 10. This required a new screen reader solution which is when I found NVDA. He started using NVDA with relatively few issues and it was running well for the last year. He predominantly uses the desktop for email and OCR tasks so I had Office 2016 and Kurzweil 1000 installed. Recently his computer needed replacement so I set him up with a new computer with Windows 10 release 19042 and Office 2019. We immediately had issues with Outlook. Most of the issues revolve around opening of the email message. Initially I thought this may be due to the Office 2019 install so I rolled it back to Office 2016. This helped a little but issues still exist. One example that started today rather abruptly was that NVDA would read the header information for the message that was opened but would not read the body. I found that I could get some read by right clicking the mouse then left clicking, but that would only read the line the cursor was on. I’ve tried restarting both NVDA and Outlook as well as the computer without any success. I feel like I may not have Outlook or NVDA configured properly. Could anyone provide some insight on what maybe happening and any steps I could take towards rectifying it?

 

Matt Peters

Network & Systems Administrator

St. Johnsbury Academy

mpeters@...

(802) 751-2390​

 

Confidentiality Notice: This email may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). If this email contains confidential and/or privileged health or student information and you are not entitled to access such information under FERPA or HIPAA, federal regulations require that you destroy this email without reviewing it and you may not forward it to anyone.


Re: NVDA not reading column headings in Excel tables

Lars Holm Sørensen <lhs@...>
 

Hi Brian

 

Yes I am aware of this method to define column and row headings. I just do not understand why this method is necessary for having column headings announced in a simple table in Excel. Both Jaws and Narrater (I think) will announce Excel table column headings without first manually defining them.

 

Anyway thanks a lot for your reply Brian.

 

BR:

Lars

 

 

 

 

 

Lars Holm Sørensen

Konsulent

Diversa Consult ApS

Amager Strandvej 118D
2300 København S
Mobile: 25 21 17 41
Mail: lhs@diversa.dk

 

Få automatisk oplæsning af tekst på din hjemmeside. 7% betragter
sig selv som ordblinde. Det betyder at knap 400.000 personer i
Danmark har svært ved at læse teksten på din hjemmeside.
www.readspeaker.diversa.dk

Vær sociale med os       

 

Fra: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> På vegne af Brian Vogel via groups.io
Sendt: 22. april 2021 16:12
Til: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Emne: Re: [nvda] NVDA not reading column headings in Excel tables

 

See message number 511, by Alan Lemley in the Microsoft Office Accessibility Discussion Group in the topic entitled, Reading row and column headers using Excel defined titles tutorial.

It may help here.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

 


Re: NVDA not reading column headings in Excel tables

 

Also have a look at the topic on this group entitled, Is there a way to turn off announcement of table column and row headings?.  It's the flip-side of your issue and the settings mentioned are toggled either on or off.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

 

5501 - 5520 of 88764