Date   

Re: A suggestion about the NVDA update process

Hope Williamson
 

Oh, here's a trick that will make life easier for everyone. Disable UAC. Obviously you have to be careful about installing random stuff, but you should do that anyway.

On 7/13/2021 8:00 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
AFAIK, at least based on my experience - nothing has changed, it's just that sometimes (maybe based on running programs? or whether Mercury is retrograde?) - sometimes that user account control dialog that you need to acknowledge when installing or updating software, appears behind every other window and doesn't get focus.  More often than not it works fine for me and grabs focus when it appears though.

Actually I was surprised by the three hour wait - I thought that dialog timed out after about 20 seconds and automatically failed if you didn't acknowledge it.

On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 5:03 AM Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@...> wrote:
Hi Group,

I can't remember when this started, but sometime in the past few years, i have been experiencing the same thing. It seems that for some reason, the (I guess it is called) runtime version of NVDA installer or whatever it's called, does not shift focus immediately to the Windows UAC console when you try installing a program that Windows is not sure of.


On 7/13/2021 1:37 PM, Giles Turnbull wrote:
This is a suggestion relating to the NVDA updater, rather than NVDA itself, and it's a question really for the programmers behind that installer.

I started updating to NVDA 2021.1 on my Microsoft Surface Pro 4 tablet at about 1pm. At 3pm the progress beeps were still beeping and, assuming the update had hit a problem, I tried to abort the update but discovered there was no way to cancel the update.

Curious whether the update process would hang on my Dell laptop, I turned that on and was prompted that a new version of NVDA was available. I launched it and, immediately after the download had finished and I'd activated the Install button, I was taken to the Windows permissions prompt. And that is when I twigged that I'd not been taken to that on my tablet. When I returned to my tablet and Alt+Tabbed around the running programs , indeed the permissions promt was open, but I hadn't been taken to it, nor had I been notified it had opened and was expecting a response.

So my suggestion / question is whether there is any way that the progress beeps can be started only after the security button has been confirmed, rather than as soon as the Update button has been pressed. If the updater hadn't spent 2 hours beeping, then I wouldn't have thought it was doing something (or attempting to do something) as part of the update process.

The moment I found the security prompt and confirmed I wanted to go ahead with the installation, it completed within 30 seconds, as it usually does!

Just a thought :)

Giles

--
Signature:
For a nation to admit it has done grevous wrongs and will strive to correct them for the betterment of all is no vice;
For a nation to claim it has always been great, needs no improvement  and to cling to its past achievements is no virtue!


--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager


locked Re: IBM TTS is not working in NVDA

Quentin Christensen
 

As Brian noted, illegal add-ons and cracked software are not allowed on the group, and not supported in any way.  If you wish to use Eloquence, then you need to pay for a license to use it - Nuance, who own Eloquence, are very strict on that.  You can purchase Eloquence for NVDA from Code Factory: https://codefactoryglobal.com/app-store/voices-for-nvda/

They also have a SAPI5 version if you prefer.

If you are not able to purchase Eloquence, then you might try either the Windows OneCore voices, which are included in Windows 10 and used by NVDA by default, or eSpeak-NG, which comes with NVDA.  eSpeak-NG is popular for being very responsive and able to work at extremely high speech rates.  Windows OneCore is popular for being one of the more human-sounding synthesizers around.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 1:45 PM ( NAJAF . Naqvi ) <najafnaqvi471@...> wrote:
Hello! to all I am using nvda 20.1 in this version of nvda "IBM TTS" is not working please you can fix this problem thanks have A good day !!



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager


locked Re: IBM TTS is not working in NVDA

 

Moderator's Warning:  The discussion of hacked/cracked/pirated software is explicitly forbidden on this group.

The previously noted website (whose name will not be repeated here) traffics almost exclusively in hacked/cracked/pirated software and is not to be discussed on the NVDA Group.  This is not up for debate.  Do not do it.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

I do not understand why some seek to separate a person from their actions.  The self is composed of an individual’s thoughts, actions, and expression, which are contained in and actuated by the body.  What you do and say is the clearest indicator of who you are.

      ~ Brian Vogel

 


locked IBM TTS is not working in NVDA

 

Hello! to all I am using nvda 20.1 in this version of nvda "IBM TTS" is not working please you can fix this problem thanks have A good day !!


Re: latest NVDA caps announcement

Sam Bushman
 

I have already emailed there support about this.

Thank you sir,

Sam

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2021 9:09 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] latest NVDA caps announcement

 

This definitely sounds like an issue with the Code Factory voices - I would definitely let them know - at the very least, they might say "Oh yes, that's deliberate", but most likely, they will be able to look into it for you.

 

Kind regards

 

Quentin.

 

On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 8:16 AM <benmoxey@...> wrote:

Hi everyone

 

I use the standard SAPI 5 version of Eloquence, as opposed to the NVDA plug-in so I can also use it with Narrator etc.

 

I can confirm that this has been an on-going issue when running Narrator using the SAPI 5 version of Eloquence, even when you have it set to change pitch, rather than announce cap.

 

The cap announcement when using the SAPI 5 version of Eloquence with NVDA 2000.4 is working as expected.

 

The cap announcement when running the SAPI 5 version of Eloquence with NVDA 2021.1 is saying “c a p” before the letter.

 

Hope this is helpful.


Cheers


ben

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Tuesday, 13 July 2021 11:11 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] latest NVDA caps announcement

 

This is such unexpected behavior that it must be.  If you are debating reporting it, I think it is a good idea.

 

Gene

-----Original Message-----

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2021 8:04 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] latest NVDA caps announcement

 

I agree, however don’t want to claim a bug unless we are sure about that.

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2021 7:01 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] latest NVDA caps announcement

 

it doesn’t seem likely but maybe someone will find something. 

 

Gene

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2021 7:52 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] latest NVDA caps announcement

 

I mean a setting in the Code Factory plugin – maybe a new setting in the new build?

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2021 6:50 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] latest NVDA caps announcement

 

If you mean a setting in NVDA, I think the only thing you can do is use pitch, as you are doing. 

 

Gene

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2021 7:24 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] latest NVDA caps announcement

 

Hi Quentin,

 

Ok, I disabled all other add-ons and only had code factory add-on enabled and the problem is still there.

I enabled all other add-ons and disabled the code factory add-on and my system switched to the One Core Voices and worked perfectly.

 

I am convinced either there is a bug in the new Code Factory add-on for eloquence or a setting needs to be reset to resolve.

 

I will keep working on this to see what changes might help.

 

In the mean time I unchecked say caps and am using pitch instead until this is resolved.

 

Thanks,
Sam

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2021 2:46 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] latest NVDA caps announcement

 

Have you tried restarting the PC.  If that doesn't work, try restarting NVDA with add-ons disabled and see if that makes a difference.  Next, try changing the synthesizer.  Also, which synthesizer are you using now?

 

Kind regards

 

Quentin.

 

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 6:04 PM Robert Doc Wright godfearer <godfearer@...> wrote:

Instead of saying cap when the cursor reaches a capital letter it spells out "c a p" then pronounces the letter.


 

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

 


 

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

 


Re: latest NVDA caps announcement

Quentin Christensen
 

This definitely sounds like an issue with the Code Factory voices - I would definitely let them know - at the very least, they might say "Oh yes, that's deliberate", but most likely, they will be able to look into it for you.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 8:16 AM <benmoxey@...> wrote:

Hi everyone

 

I use the standard SAPI 5 version of Eloquence, as opposed to the NVDA plug-in so I can also use it with Narrator etc.

 

I can confirm that this has been an on-going issue when running Narrator using the SAPI 5 version of Eloquence, even when you have it set to change pitch, rather than announce cap.

 

The cap announcement when using the SAPI 5 version of Eloquence with NVDA 2000.4 is working as expected.

 

The cap announcement when running the SAPI 5 version of Eloquence with NVDA 2021.1 is saying “c a p” before the letter.

 

Hope this is helpful.


Cheers


ben

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Tuesday, 13 July 2021 11:11 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] latest NVDA caps announcement

 

This is such unexpected behavior that it must be.  If you are debating reporting it, I think it is a good idea.

 

Gene

-----Original Message-----

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2021 8:04 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] latest NVDA caps announcement

 

I agree, however don’t want to claim a bug unless we are sure about that.

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2021 7:01 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] latest NVDA caps announcement

 

it doesn’t seem likely but maybe someone will find something. 

 

Gene

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2021 7:52 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] latest NVDA caps announcement

 

I mean a setting in the Code Factory plugin – maybe a new setting in the new build?

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2021 6:50 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] latest NVDA caps announcement

 

If you mean a setting in NVDA, I think the only thing you can do is use pitch, as you are doing. 

 

Gene

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2021 7:24 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] latest NVDA caps announcement

 

Hi Quentin,

 

Ok, I disabled all other add-ons and only had code factory add-on enabled and the problem is still there.

I enabled all other add-ons and disabled the code factory add-on and my system switched to the One Core Voices and worked perfectly.

 

I am convinced either there is a bug in the new Code Factory add-on for eloquence or a setting needs to be reset to resolve.

 

I will keep working on this to see what changes might help.

 

In the mean time I unchecked say caps and am using pitch instead until this is resolved.

 

Thanks,
Sam

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2021 2:46 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] latest NVDA caps announcement

 

Have you tried restarting the PC.  If that doesn't work, try restarting NVDA with add-ons disabled and see if that makes a difference.  Next, try changing the synthesizer.  Also, which synthesizer are you using now?

 

Kind regards

 

Quentin.

 

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 6:04 PM Robert Doc Wright godfearer <godfearer@...> wrote:

Instead of saying cap when the cursor reaches a capital letter it spells out "c a p" then pronounces the letter.


 

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

 



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager


Re: A suggestion about the NVDA update process

Quentin Christensen
 

AFAIK, at least based on my experience - nothing has changed, it's just that sometimes (maybe based on running programs? or whether Mercury is retrograde?) - sometimes that user account control dialog that you need to acknowledge when installing or updating software, appears behind every other window and doesn't get focus.  More often than not it works fine for me and grabs focus when it appears though.

Actually I was surprised by the three hour wait - I thought that dialog timed out after about 20 seconds and automatically failed if you didn't acknowledge it.

On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 5:03 AM Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@...> wrote:
Hi Group,

I can't remember when this started, but sometime in the past few years, i have been experiencing the same thing. It seems that for some reason, the (I guess it is called) runtime version of NVDA installer or whatever it's called, does not shift focus immediately to the Windows UAC console when you try installing a program that Windows is not sure of.


On 7/13/2021 1:37 PM, Giles Turnbull wrote:
This is a suggestion relating to the NVDA updater, rather than NVDA itself, and it's a question really for the programmers behind that installer.

I started updating to NVDA 2021.1 on my Microsoft Surface Pro 4 tablet at about 1pm. At 3pm the progress beeps were still beeping and, assuming the update had hit a problem, I tried to abort the update but discovered there was no way to cancel the update.

Curious whether the update process would hang on my Dell laptop, I turned that on and was prompted that a new version of NVDA was available. I launched it and, immediately after the download had finished and I'd activated the Install button, I was taken to the Windows permissions prompt. And that is when I twigged that I'd not been taken to that on my tablet. When I returned to my tablet and Alt+Tabbed around the running programs , indeed the permissions promt was open, but I hadn't been taken to it, nor had I been notified it had opened and was expecting a response.

So my suggestion / question is whether there is any way that the progress beeps can be started only after the security button has been confirmed, rather than as soon as the Update button has been pressed. If the updater hadn't spent 2 hours beeping, then I wouldn't have thought it was doing something (or attempting to do something) as part of the update process.

The moment I found the security prompt and confirmed I wanted to go ahead with the installation, it completed within 30 seconds, as it usually does!

Just a thought :)

Giles

-- 
Signature:
For a nation to admit it has done grevous wrongs and will strive to correct them for the betterment of all is no vice;
For a nation to claim it has always been great, needs no improvement  and to cling to its past achievements is no virtue!



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager


Clipspeak addon and NVDA 2021.1?

David Mehler
 

Hello,

Has anyone had success either contacting the dev of the Clipspeak
addon or getting it to work with NVDA 2021.1? That's one of the few
last ones I'm trying to get an update for.

Thanks.
Dave.


Re: has NVDA remote addon been updated

hurrikennyandopo ...
 

Hi


There is a link that comes off that page to the home page where it is stored.

Then off this page is a download link or maybe just arrow to it. Press the enter key grab the modern version of it.


A more direct link to the page is https://nvdaremote.com/download/

The latest version is 2.04 or some ting like that.


Gene nz


On 14/07/2021 1:58 pm, Louise Pfau wrote:
I just tried to reinstall the original copy of NVDA remote, then update it through add-on updater, but I got an incompatibility error message.  I went to the add-ons website, and there is no download link for the add-on.
 
Thanks,
 
Louise


Golden Cursor 5.0 released #addonrelease

 

Hello everyone,

 

On behalf of NVDA add-ons community, I’m delighted to announce the immediate release of Golden Cursor 5.0, fully compatible with NVDA 2021.1:

https://github.com/josephsl/goldenCursor/releases/download/5.0/goldenCursor-5.0.nvda-addon

 

NOTE: this is a manual update to those who need it now; for others, please wait until Golden Cursor 5.0 is offered to you via Add-on Updater.

 

Key changes include:

 

  • Modernized add-on source code as a whole, including taking advantage of features introduced in more recent NVDA releases. For those looking at source code, you will notice three things: use of scriptHandler.script decorator to easily define scripts and input help messages, using Python 3.6-style string literals (called “formatted string literals”) in places, and using a method from wxPython that is guaranteed to be compatible with older NVDA releases. The last part is what makes the add-on compliant with NVDA 2021.1 API, as the old method of centering dialogs (using a deprecated constant) is gone in NVDA 2021.1/wxPython 4.1.1.
  • Resolved long-standing issues with source code and potential bugs through source code lint procedure. A linter is a tool that tries to make program source code better by looking for programming errors, style issues, and other problems. For a long time Golden Cursor add-on had style and coding issues that caused add-on code to become less readable over time. With help from a linter called Flake8 (the same linter used by NVDA screen reader project itself), Golden Cursor 5.0 source code was made more readable. Plus, a potential bug was found where one or more messages could not be translated easily by translators, and this issue is resolved.

 

AN IMPORTANT REMINDER: I (Joseph Lee) am no longer actively maintaining Golden Cursor (since early 2020). In consideration for non-English speakers, I will release Golden Cursor 5.1 with localization updates later this year, and after that, I will become more serious about asking NVDA community to maintain this add-on in the future.

 

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph


Re: In NVDA, most Microsoft OneCore voices are the same voice for me.

 

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 08:45 PM, Gene wrote:
You can speed them up but others will have to discuss that.
-
And it has been discussed, in depth, multiple times.

The easiest way is to increase the rate to 100% under Windows, then you can "further increase" it using NVDA's settings.  I know that someone has written about getting into OneCore Voice internals and how to tweak those  to get an even more radical increase in speed, but I can't seem to find that now.

Sarah Alawami mentioned the above technique here:  https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/59349 
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

I do not understand why some seek to separate a person from their actions.  The self is composed of an individual’s thoughts, actions, and expression, which are contained in and actuated by the body.  What you do and say is the clearest indicator of who you are.

      ~ Brian Vogel

 


Re: has NVDA remote addon been updated

Louise Pfau
 

I just tried to reinstall the original copy of NVDA remote, then update it through add-on updater, but I got an incompatibility error message.  I went to the add-ons website, and there is no download link for the add-on.
 
Thanks,
 
Louise


Re: In NVDA, most Microsoft OneCore voices are the same voice for me.

Gene
 

You can speed them up but others will have to discuss that.
 
Gene

-----Original Message-----
From: mattias
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2021 12:58 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] In NVDA, most Microsoft OneCore voices are the same voice for me.
 

How can people use OneCore voices at all_

They are slow etc etc

And we should not talk about quality..

 

Skickades från E-post för Windows 10

 

Från: John Isige
Skickat: den 13 juli 2021 19:08
Till: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Ämne: Re: [nvda] In NVDA, most Microsoft OneCore voices are the same voice for me.

 

Huh. Definitely some kind of Windows issue, yeah. I removed all of the extra voices, except for Ireland which doesn't have a removal button, which is a problem I suspect. Weirdly, all the voices still show up in the voice list, even though I've removed them. So there's definitely something weird going on. Unless anybody has any ideas, I'll probably just leave it alone. I suspect to really remove everything at this point and start fresh we're talking registry stuff, and I am not qualified to deal with that at all.

 

On 7/13/2021 12:30 AM, Quentin Christensen wrote:

It sounds like the OneCore voices / languages might have been corrupted - I've seen that happen (with various results) elsewhere - try removing and re-adding a language / language pack and see if that helps.

 

Kind regards

 

Quentin.

 

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 2:10 PM John Isige <gwynn@...> wrote:

Rebooted the PC, this has actually been going on for a while. I assumed it was just Windows being messed up. I also restarted with addons disabled, and no difference whatsoever. It's pretty weird.

 

On 7/12/2021 9:53 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:

Firstly,

 

Have you rebooted the PC since updating?  It's worth doing that as we do often see odd things like this after updating and before restarting.  Next, if you press NVDA+Q then down arrow to "Restart with add-ons disabled" does that make a difference?

 

Kind regards

 

Quentin.

 

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 4:13 AM John Isige <gwynn@...> wrote:

Hi all.


So I've got all of the extra English OneCore voices installed, so
Richard, Linda, James, that kind of thing. For some reason, if I set
NVDA to use the OneCore voices and change voices, all of them are David,
except for Zira and Mark. I'm pretty sure this worked at one point, but
it's obviously broken now. I've tried restarting with addons disabled,
and I still have the same issue.


I know the voices are installed properly because if I go into
settings/time & language/speech, the voices show up there and preview as
themselves. Additionally, if I run Narrator, I can change to each voice
in the list and it's actually the correct voice. Anybody have any ideas?
It's not vitally important that I get this working or anything, I mostly
use Code Factory's SAPI 5 Eloquence, but it's pretty strange, and I like
to fix those kinds of things if I can.






 

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

 


 

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

 

 


Re: DECtalk Add-on for NVDA

Gene
 

It appears it is no longer being sold.  You canstill use system access to go but I don’t know if you can buy voices for it and it doesn’t include Dectalk as a freely available voice.  
 
They used to not want you to use System Access to Go unless you were unable to use your own screen-reader but these days, since they aren’t in the screen-reader business, they may not care. 
 
Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2021 1:42 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] DECtalk Add-on for NVDA
 
I had a trial of System Access, and I discovered it had dectalk access 32 in it.  It actually sounded better than the one in Window eyes.  But my trial ran out, and I heard they were no longer selling it.  Otherwise, I would have paid to reinstate it again.  Does this mean I still can, and how?  Pam.
 
From: Gene
Sent: Sunday, July 11, 2021 10:13 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] decktalk addon for nvda
 
However, Eloquence is easier to understand at fast speech rates.  I don’t have to stop and go back to check a word I didn’t understand hardly ever at a high rate, about 350 or 400 words per minute.  With Dectalk, I have to check more often.  Eloquence pronounces more words correctly without a speech dictionary.  And, while Eloquence doesn’t have as pleasant sounding a voice, the voice sounds better as you increase reading spdeed.  So each synthesizer has advantages and disadvantages.  For listening to reading at a slower speed, for reading something like a novel in a more relaxed manner, I prefer DecTalk.  For fast reading, I prefer Eloquence. 
 
I don’t know  if you can still by DecTalk to use with System Access to go.  System Access To Go is still around but I don’t know if you can still buy synthesizers to use with it.
 
Gene
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, July 11, 2021 3:07 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] decktalk addon for nvda
 
Yes, so do I.  Much much more!  For one thing, eloquence doesn’t know how to pitch its voice.  If you have a long sentence without commas or other punctuation, it will wind down, as if it has a dead battery.  Then, when it encounters the next mark, it sort of takes a breath, and the voice goes back up to the top.  That is only one thing I don’t like about eloquence.  Pam.
 
Sent: Friday, July 09, 2021 10:12 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] decktalk addon for nvda
 
David Grossgan used to have a website that have the Dectalk add-ons include Access 32. But, that add-on was out of support eversince NVDA 2019.3. Personally, I like Dectalk more than EloquencePersonal preference 

Virus-free. www.avg.com


Re: Clip speak

Louise Pfau
 

I had the same thing. I can only assume that it won't be updated. I can't cross-reference my list of existing add-ons, because I've removed all of the add-ons that were marked as incompatible as recommended in an earlier thread.

Louise


Re: Compatibility updates to the "Golden Cursor" add-on will not be provided

David Moore
 

Thanks, Joseph! I would be so grateful knowing Golden Cursor will work in the future! It is such a great advantage of using NVDA, being able to do so much with the mouse!


On Tue, Jul 13, 2021, 4:36 AM Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hello everyone,

Because Golden Cursor is an important add-on for people, I'm thinking about intervening - that is, willing to edit Golden Cursor if no-one steps up. For now editing the manifest will work, but there are changes to be made inside the add-on source code itself that will let the add-on take advantage of changes introduced in really modern NVDA releases (part of this work involves linting the add-on source code to make it readable).

Cheers,

Joseph


Re: In NVDA, most Microsoft OneCore voices are the same voice for me.

John Isige
 

Yes. I think this is like the third time I've mentioned restarting at this point. Sadly, the problem is impervious to the magical magicalness of the magic of rebooting.


On 7/13/2021 1:30 PM, Chris via groups.io wrote:

As already suggested , did you restart after removal?

 

 

From: John Isige
Sent: 13 July 2021 18:08
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] In NVDA, most Microsoft OneCore voices are the same voice for me.

 

Huh. Definitely some kind of Windows issue, yeah. I removed all of the extra voices, except for Ireland which doesn't have a removal button, which is a problem I suspect. Weirdly, all the voices still show up in the voice list, even though I've removed them. So there's definitely something weird going on. Unless anybody has any ideas, I'll probably just leave it alone. I suspect to really remove everything at this point and start fresh we're talking registry stuff, and I am not qualified to deal with that at all.

 

On 7/13/2021 12:30 AM, Quentin Christensen wrote:

It sounds like the OneCore voices / languages might have been corrupted - I've seen that happen (with various results) elsewhere - try removing and re-adding a language / language pack and see if that helps.

 

Kind regards

 

Quentin.

 

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 2:10 PM John Isige <gwynn@...> wrote:

Rebooted the PC, this has actually been going on for a while. I assumed it was just Windows being messed up. I also restarted with addons disabled, and no difference whatsoever. It's pretty weird.

 

On 7/12/2021 9:53 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:

Firstly,

 

Have you rebooted the PC since updating?  It's worth doing that as we do often see odd things like this after updating and before restarting.  Next, if you press NVDA+Q then down arrow to "Restart with add-ons disabled" does that make a difference?

 

Kind regards

 

Quentin.

 

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 4:13 AM John Isige <gwynn@...> wrote:

Hi all.


So I've got all of the extra English OneCore voices installed, so
Richard, Linda, James, that kind of thing. For some reason, if I set
NVDA to use the OneCore voices and change voices, all of them are David,
except for Zira and Mark. I'm pretty sure this worked at one point, but
it's obviously broken now. I've tried restarting with addons disabled,
and I still have the same issue.


I know the voices are installed properly because if I go into
settings/time & language/speech, the voices show up there and preview as
themselves. Additionally, if I run Narrator, I can change to each voice
in the list and it's actually the correct voice. Anybody have any ideas?
It's not vitally important that I get this working or anything, I mostly
use Code Factory's SAPI 5 Eloquence, but it's pretty strange, and I like
to fix those kinds of things if I can.






 

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

 


 

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

 

 


Re: latest NVDA caps announcement

benmoxey@...
 

Hi everyone

 

I use the standard SAPI 5 version of Eloquence, as opposed to the NVDA plug-in so I can also use it with Narrator etc.

 

I can confirm that this has been an on-going issue when running Narrator using the SAPI 5 version of Eloquence, even when you have it set to change pitch, rather than announce cap.

 

The cap announcement when using the SAPI 5 version of Eloquence with NVDA 2000.4 is working as expected.

 

The cap announcement when running the SAPI 5 version of Eloquence with NVDA 2021.1 is saying “c a p” before the letter.

 

Hope this is helpful.


Cheers


ben

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Tuesday, 13 July 2021 11:11 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] latest NVDA caps announcement

 

This is such unexpected behavior that it must be.  If you are debating reporting it, I think it is a good idea.

 

Gene

-----Original Message-----

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2021 8:04 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] latest NVDA caps announcement

 

I agree, however don’t want to claim a bug unless we are sure about that.

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2021 7:01 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] latest NVDA caps announcement

 

it doesn’t seem likely but maybe someone will find something. 

 

Gene

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2021 7:52 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] latest NVDA caps announcement

 

I mean a setting in the Code Factory plugin – maybe a new setting in the new build?

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2021 6:50 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] latest NVDA caps announcement

 

If you mean a setting in NVDA, I think the only thing you can do is use pitch, as you are doing. 

 

Gene

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2021 7:24 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] latest NVDA caps announcement

 

Hi Quentin,

 

Ok, I disabled all other add-ons and only had code factory add-on enabled and the problem is still there.

I enabled all other add-ons and disabled the code factory add-on and my system switched to the One Core Voices and worked perfectly.

 

I am convinced either there is a bug in the new Code Factory add-on for eloquence or a setting needs to be reset to resolve.

 

I will keep working on this to see what changes might help.

 

In the mean time I unchecked say caps and am using pitch instead until this is resolved.

 

Thanks,
Sam

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2021 2:46 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] latest NVDA caps announcement

 

Have you tried restarting the PC.  If that doesn't work, try restarting NVDA with add-ons disabled and see if that makes a difference.  Next, try changing the synthesizer.  Also, which synthesizer are you using now?

 

Kind regards

 

Quentin.

 

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 6:04 PM Robert Doc Wright godfearer <godfearer@...> wrote:

Instead of saying cap when the cursor reaches a capital letter it spells out "c a p" then pronounces the letter.


 

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

 


Re: Brailliant 32 maths input query

Jane Sharp
 

Hi Jonathan

Thank you for your reply. In the NVDA settings, I have input and output set to UEB grade 1. Braille Extender seems to have its own settings though and I’m struggling to change these - any tips?

Jane

On 13 Jul 2021, at 19:49, Jonathan COHN via groups.io <jonathan.c.cohn@...> wrote:

What are your Braille input and output modes set to? 
I am wondering if perhaps NVDA is trying to do Nemeth math, or if input is computer braille and output is UEB? 


Re: A suggestion about the NVDA update process

Ron Canazzi
 

Hi Group,

I can't remember when this started, but sometime in the past few years, i have been experiencing the same thing. It seems that for some reason, the (I guess it is called) runtime version of NVDA installer or whatever it's called, does not shift focus immediately to the Windows UAC console when you try installing a program that Windows is not sure of.


On 7/13/2021 1:37 PM, Giles Turnbull wrote:
This is a suggestion relating to the NVDA updater, rather than NVDA itself, and it's a question really for the programmers behind that installer.

I started updating to NVDA 2021.1 on my Microsoft Surface Pro 4 tablet at about 1pm. At 3pm the progress beeps were still beeping and, assuming the update had hit a problem, I tried to abort the update but discovered there was no way to cancel the update.

Curious whether the update process would hang on my Dell laptop, I turned that on and was prompted that a new version of NVDA was available. I launched it and, immediately after the download had finished and I'd activated the Install button, I was taken to the Windows permissions prompt. And that is when I twigged that I'd not been taken to that on my tablet. When I returned to my tablet and Alt+Tabbed around the running programs , indeed the permissions promt was open, but I hadn't been taken to it, nor had I been notified it had opened and was expecting a response.

So my suggestion / question is whether there is any way that the progress beeps can be started only after the security button has been confirmed, rather than as soon as the Update button has been pressed. If the updater hadn't spent 2 hours beeping, then I wouldn't have thought it was doing something (or attempting to do something) as part of the update process.

The moment I found the security prompt and confirmed I wanted to go ahead with the installation, it completed within 30 seconds, as it usually does!

Just a thought :)

Giles

-- 
Signature:
For a nation to admit it has done grevous wrongs and will strive to correct them for the betterment of all is no vice;
For a nation to claim it has always been great, needs no improvement  and to cling to its past achievements is no virtue!

5941 - 5960 of 91900