Date   

Re: The last OK button during the Run COM Registration Fixing tool... and the creation of a portable version

Quentin Christensen
 

Were you running any NVDA add-ons?  If you disable those does it make a difference?

If you could get an NVDA log while creating a portable version / running the COM registration tool etc, ideally at debug level, and send it to me, I'd be interested in having a look.


First of all, your NVDA key is either INSERT or CAPS LOCK, depending on how you have NVDA setup.  So, to set your log level:
1) Press NVDA+control+g to open the general settings
2) Press TAB until the focus is on 'Log level'
3) Press DOWN ARROW to get to 'Debug'
4) Press ENTER to close settings
5) Press NVDA+control+c to save settings.

To restart NVDA with add-ons disabled:
1) Press NVDA+Q
2) Down arrow to 'Restart with add-ons disabled'
3) Press ENTER

Next, recreate the issue - do whatever causes problems.

To get NVDA's log after that, there are several ways:

If NVDA is still running and usable:
1) Press NVDA+F1 to open the log viewer
2) Press CONTROL+A to select all.
3) Press CONTROL+C to copy.
4) Open your email and start a message to info@..., type a little about what you have done and what has happened in the body of the message, then leave a space and:
5) Press CONTROL+V to paste the copied log.

Instead of using the log viewer, or if NVDA has stopped and you needed to restart it or the computer:
1) Press WINDOWS+R to open Windows' Run dialog
2) Type %temp% and press ENTER (that's the percent sign, the letter t e m p and another percent sign).  Windows Explorer should open to the temporary folder.
3) Press TAB to move to the file list
4) Press N and move down to find up to three files:  nvda.log (the log file for the current or most recent NVDA session), nvda-old.log (the log from the previous session) and nvda-crash.dmp (a crash dump with more information created if NVDA itself crashes).
5) Depending on what email program you use, the steps will be different, but attach as many of those three files to an email to info@... as will be useful, and again in the body of the message describe a bit about what has happened.


On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 9:33 PM Dejan Ristic <r.dejan83@...> wrote:
Hi,


When I created the portable version of NVDA, the last OK button didn't
work correctly. It didn't do when I ran COM Registration Fixing tool...,
either. When I pressed it after NVDA announced that the action was
successful, NVDA focus was not returned to desktop, or an application I
might be running. When I pressed NVDA and tab to see the focus, it said:
NVDA unknown invisible focused.


I don't think that it is a fatal bug, but when the next NVDA version
comes out, I may happen to face this issue and I'm afraid that the
installation process may be incomplete because that last OK button makes
NVDA stuck up in the mud. I can restart NVDA successfully when it
happens, but I think that it is a good idea to let you know of this.


I may also provide you with a log if you wish me to, as well.


My operating system: Windows 7, 64 bit.

NVDA version: latest stable.

Note: This happens with a portable latest version, too.



Cheers,

Dejan


--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus








--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager


Re: hello Nvda user's

Quentin Christensen
 

Hi!

Welcome, yes this is the "official" NVDA user email group.

Do feel free to ask any questions you may come across about the screenreader.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 7:29 PM ( NAJAF . Naqvi ) <najafnaqvi471@...> wrote:
HI! 
this is NVDA official group ??



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager


Re: In-Process is out

Jujube
 

You may :)

On 7/19/21, Quentin Christensen <quentin@nvaccess.org> wrote:
Thank you so much for the kind words! We do really appreciate hearing the
positive impact NVDA has for users!

May we please use your testimonial on our site?

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 3:36 PM Jujube <ellaxyu@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks Quentin for the In Process posts. I really enjoy reading them :)
I'm actually pretty new to the list (have read through some archives
though
lol) and I hope it's okay to share a little testimony too since someone
else also did, but in short, you guys are awesome and I'm really grateful
for NVDA's existence. I use it on a daily basis and it has been my
primary
screen reader for the past 2 or 3 years. I had been exposed a bit to NVDA
long before I started using it but I was strongly encouraged to try it by
a
vision teacher 2 or 3 years ago to expand my options and get exposure to
alternate solutions, and I fell in love with NVDA very quickly because it
felt very comfortable, responsive, and most importantly, it ticked all
the
boxes for a good screen reader for me. In addition, the command structure
is quite similar to the (popular commercial) screen reader I was using
before, which enabled me to get around the computer and feel comfortable
with NVDA right from day one. Originally I was only planning to test NVDA
for a short period of time, but I ended up loving it enough to not want
to
switch back to my other screen reader much anymore even though I had full
access to it for quite a while. Now it's very hard for me to justify
spending tons of money on a commercial solution when there's a free
solution that serves me just as well.

Anyway, thanks for all the great work guys and I look forward to growing
with you guys for years to come. :) I am still young so my contributional
capacity is limited, but I definitely plan on donating in the near future
and contributing to this list more, and maybe someday I may become more
heavily involved in the accessibility field and NVDA would be a big part
of
that.


--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Web: www.nvaccess.org
Training: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
Certification: https://certification.nvaccess.org/
User group: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess <https://twitter.com/NVAccess>






Re: In-Process is out

Quentin Christensen
 

Thank you so much for the kind words!  We do really appreciate hearing the positive impact NVDA has for users!

May we please use your testimonial on our site?

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 3:36 PM Jujube <ellaxyu@...> wrote:
Thanks Quentin for the In Process posts. I really enjoy reading them :) I'm actually pretty new to the list (have read through some archives though lol) and I hope it's okay to share a little testimony too since someone else also did, but in short, you guys are awesome and I'm really grateful for NVDA's existence. I use it on a daily basis and it has been my primary screen reader for the past 2 or 3 years. I had been exposed a bit to NVDA long before I started using it but I was strongly encouraged to try it by a vision teacher 2 or 3 years ago to expand my options and get exposure to alternate solutions, and I fell in love with NVDA very quickly because it felt very comfortable, responsive, and most importantly, it ticked all the boxes for a good screen reader for me. In addition, the command structure is quite similar to the (popular commercial) screen reader I was using before, which enabled me to get around the computer and feel comfortable with NVDA right from day one. Originally I was only planning to test NVDA for a short period of time, but I ended up loving it enough to not want to switch back to my other screen reader much anymore even though I had full access to it for quite a while. Now it's very hard for me to justify spending tons of money on a commercial solution when there's a free solution that serves me just as well.

Anyway, thanks for all the great work guys and I look forward to growing with you guys for years to come. :) I am still young so my contributional capacity is limited, but I definitely plan on donating in the near future and contributing to this list more, and maybe someday I may become more heavily involved in the accessibility field and NVDA would be a big part of that.



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager


Re: List for add-on developers?

 

Janet,

If your husband happens to be sighted, I'd suggest that he might want to look at Groups.io using its website and web interface.  He can create an account at Groups.io and, after having established that account, join any group or groups he wishes (that are not private and/or invitation only).  The NVDA Add-On Developers Group main page is:  https://nvda-addons.groups.io/g/nvda-addons .  This can prevent "inbox flooding" that many of us who see (and many who can't, too) just don't want to deal with and without the need to use the email flow controls available to any Groups.io user who prefers email: Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io (docx).

Their archive of messages is:  https://nvda-addons.groups.io/g/nvda-addons/topics and it is open to the public.

He may want to consider just taking a look around the group archive to determine whether he wants to proceed any further.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

Yep.  Discipline.  Accountability.  Joy.  Fun.  Responsibility.

That's what life is about.  And in that order.

        ~ Liza Minnelli

 


Re: List for add-on developers?

Jujube
 

Addons list is at nvda-addons+subscribe@groups.io

On 7/19/21, Janet Brandly <jbrandly@shaw.ca> wrote:
Hello all,



Is there an email list specifically for add-on developers and NVDA
programmers? My husband, who is familiar with writing software, would like
to try to write an addon to get NVDA to work with the medical transcription
programs I am trying to use.



Thanks,



Janet B







List for add-on developers?

Janet Brandly
 

Hello all,

 

Is there an email list specifically for add-on developers and NVDA programmers? My husband, who is familiar with writing software, would like to try to write an addon to get NVDA to work with the medical transcription programs I am trying to use.

 

Thanks,

 

Janet B


Re: speech rate changes to defaults

 

George,

Have you followed the advice I offered here: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/86411?

The number of dependencies involved between Windows and the software that runs under it can result in some really weird errors that are virtually impossible to run down, and particularly to isolate a root cause for.

I suggest you do this if you have not if for nothing more than having done all you can to ensure that you have a stable Windows 10 installation and minimizing the possibility that something on the Windows side might be playing in to this.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

Yep.  Discipline.  Accountability.  Joy.  Fun.  Responsibility.

That's what life is about.  And in that order.

        ~ Liza Minnelli

 


Re: speech rate changes to defaults

Gene
 

Do I  understand that you are using a profile for Outlook and the standard settings for most else?  I don’t know what is causing the problem or if that has anything to do with anything.
 
This may or may not work, but you may be able to deal with the problem so quickly that solving it no longer  matters.  The next time this happens, issue the apply configuration command, NVDA key control r.  the setting may not be lost at all.  For some reason, NVDA may not be using it and applying the saved configuration may cause it to do so again.  Since this is just one command, if it works getting the setting to work again will be so fast and convenient that you may not ;particularly care about solving the problem.
 
Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2021 5:36 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] speech rate changes to defaults
 

Hello again,

 

Today, the rate changed to the default setting. I am running Windows 10 2021H1.

I was in Outlook and was switching between an open message and the inbox. Both the Outlook profile and the normal general configuration was impacted. I could save the profile immediately after it changed.

 

I also was in outlook with an open message and was running on battery. I left the computer, and it went to sleep.  When I woke it up, the rate changed. Here too the Outlook configuration and the default reverted to the slow speech rate.

 

I am getting pretty fast correcting this behavior, so it is not a horrible inconvenience, but it would be good to figure out what is going on.

 

Best

George

 

 

Best

George

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Sunday, July 18, 2021 1:49 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] speech rate changes to defaults

 

On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 03:39 PM, George Kerscher wrote:

I will report back here if the issue reappears. It has gone away for now, i.e. I can no longer force the behavior.

-
First, thank you for such a fine report on your findings, how to force the issue you had, and how you've resolved it.

Please report back even if the issue does not reappear for a period of time where you're reasonably confident that "the fix has taken."  That's valuable information to have, too.  Also, if it should recur at some unspecified point in time in the future, please report that, too, as these things can often have multiple contributing factors.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

     ~ Mark Twain

 


Re: speech rate changes to defaults

George Kerscher
 

Hello again,

 

Today, the rate changed to the default setting. I am running Windows 10 2021H1.

I was in Outlook and was switching between an open message and the inbox. Both the Outlook profile and the normal general configuration was impacted. I could save the profile immediately after it changed.

 

I also was in outlook with an open message and was running on battery. I left the computer, and it went to sleep.  When I woke it up, the rate changed. Here too the Outlook configuration and the default reverted to the slow speech rate.

 

I am getting pretty fast correcting this behavior, so it is not a horrible inconvenience, but it would be good to figure out what is going on.

 

Best

George

 

 

Best

George

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Sunday, July 18, 2021 1:49 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] speech rate changes to defaults

 

On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 03:39 PM, George Kerscher wrote:

I will report back here if the issue reappears. It has gone away for now, i.e. I can no longer force the behavior.

-
First, thank you for such a fine report on your findings, how to force the issue you had, and how you've resolved it.

Please report back even if the issue does not reappear for a period of time where you're reasonably confident that "the fix has taken."  That's valuable information to have, too.  Also, if it should recur at some unspecified point in time in the future, please report that, too, as these things can often have multiple contributing factors.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

     ~ Mark Twain

 


Re: Adding more add-ons to the core

 

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 06:18 PM, Arlene wrote:
I’ve had this computer for over 2 years and its starting to slow down.
-
And?  This is:

1.  Expected, at least to some extent, as any machine becomes more used and, often, more stressed with new software.

2.  Is directly dependent on the hardware, operating system(s), and software.

I'm not saying you did this, but is an example of why a statement like yours really doesn't mean much without context, but if you buy a $200 machine with an Atom or Celeron class processor, it's actually at its maximum load in the Windows 10 era doing very, very little indeed.  It will slow down very quickly.

It's all about demands and capacities.  The higher your demands, the greater the capacities of the hardware needs to be.  And no $400 computer will come close to the performance, or longevity, of an $800 to $1000 machine.  While there's not a perfect relationship between higher dollar (or insert your unit of currency here) and higher performance, there is a direct one.  And having processing power "breathing room" as well as sufficient RAM are both really critical to minimizing the amount of slowing down as time goes on.

The operating system is irrelevant.  The technical specs of your hardware are.  Windows 10 can, and does, run beautifully on a great deal of late Windows 7 era hardware that was higher end when produced.  And it, conversely, runs poorly on hardware that "meets the minimum specifications" and not much more.

And even the very best, and most powerful, hardware will slow down with age, and that's mostly because of the "detritus of use" building up on the operating system side of things.  Most often, and I realize most people (including myself) don't want to do this, doing what gets called a "nuke & pave," where a completely clean reinstall of the operating system is done, any programs typically used reinstalled, and user data transferred back results in a machine that is literally, "as good as new."
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

Yep.  Discipline.  Accountability.  Joy.  Fun.  Responsibility.

That's what life is about.  And in that order.

        ~ Liza Minnelli

 


Re: NVDA volume not adjustable in windows volume control

David Goldfield
 

Casey, what synthesizer are you using with NVDA?

 

David Goldfield,

Blindness Assistive Technology Specialist

JAWS Certified, 2019

Subscribe to the Tech-VI announcement list to receive emails regarding news and events in the blindness assistive technology field.

Email: tech-vi+subscribe@groups.io

 

www.DavidGoldfield.org

 

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Casey Mathews
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2021 9:50 AM
To: nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: [nvda] NVDA volume not adjustable in windows volume control

 

Hey all.

Right now in the volume control if I have NVDA set to sound mapper or headphones I am unable to adjust the volume in the volume control. When I do the volume for NVDA jumps back to 27%. This is 3% less than my normal audio in case that helps.

If I switch NVDA output to speakers I can then adjust the volume control.

I have disabled any volume add-ons and made sure that audio ducking is off.

I can adjust the volume in NVDA speech controls with no problem.

I am running NVDA 2021.1

Windows 10 21H1 (64-bit) build 19043.1110

 

 

Casey Mathews

WebFriendlyHelp.com: Makin’ your tech life easy!

 

 

 


Re: Adding more add-ons to the core

Arlene
 

Hi Sarah, what version of windows are you using? If its ten. That’s bad.  These windows computers are cheaply made so you’d upgrade to the next version of windows.  I had an Acer for windows 7 box for 7 almost 8 years.  It died and I had to get a windows ten witch I now have.  I’ve had this computer for over 2 years and its starting to slow down. 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Sarah k Alawami
Sent: July 19, 2021 2:57 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Adding more add-ons to the core

 

OH yeah. I agree. I'm not really good with this software stuff but I'm already saving up for a new system as mine is starting to die, and that one should be able to support windows what ever by then and nvda what ever by then.

Blessings and happy Monday

On 19 Jul 2021, at 12:44, Brian Vogel wrote:

If you are a computer user it is incumbent on you to read the proverbial writing on the wall, and as it changes, and proceed accordingly.  You ignore it at your own peril.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

Yep.  Discipline.  Accountability.  Joy.  Fun.  Responsibility.

That's what life is about.  And in that order.

        ~ Liza Minnelli

 

 


Re: Adding more add-ons to the core

Sarah k Alawami
 

OH yeah. I agree. I'm not really good with this software stuff but I'm already saving up for a new system as mine is starting to die, and that one should be able to support windows what ever by then and nvda what ever by then.

Blessings and happy Monday

On 19 Jul 2021, at 12:44, Brian Vogel wrote:

If you are a computer user it is incumbent on you to read the proverbial writing on the wall, and as it changes, and proceed accordingly.  You ignore it at your own peril.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

Yep.  Discipline.  Accountability.  Joy.  Fun.  Responsibility.

That's what life is about.  And in that order.

        ~ Liza Minnelli

 


Re: Winamp add on?

JM Casey
 

I have never had those keys speak, either using the add-on or not using it. In fact the add-on really doesn't seem to do anything over here. But I wouldn’t' want those keys to be spoken anyway so yeah, maybe there is a way to turn it off -- I'd certainly want one. The only feedback I really want from winamp is the entries on the playlist as I move through them and time indicators would also be useful to be spoken with a key press.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Roger Stewart
Sent: July 19, 2021 10:49 AM
To: NVDA List <nvda@groups.io>
Subject: [nvda] Winamp add on?

I've just noticed that for some reason, the play, pause and stop keys aren't saying anything. They were working for several days after installing nvda 21.1, but yesterday they suddenly stopped speaking. Did I hit some hidden key that turned them off? Most of the other functions like volume setting and elapsed and remaining time are speaking correctly.


Roger


Re: Adding more add-ons to the core

 

If you are a computer user it is incumbent on you to read the proverbial writing on the wall, and as it changes, and proceed accordingly.  You ignore it at your own peril.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

Yep.  Discipline.  Accountability.  Joy.  Fun.  Responsibility.

That's what life is about.  And in that order.

        ~ Liza Minnelli

 


Re: Adding more add-ons to the core

Sarah k Alawami
 

I’d personally say get rid of windows 7 support right now. Windows 10 is in about 5 years so then windows 10 support could be gone then too. If you can’t upgrade, that’s on you, some of us cannot, but still, no way to get around it.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shaun Everiss
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2021 11:27 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Adding more add-ons to the core

 

Well I agree on that jean.

The interactive fiction one now works as well as a few others but if this is going to be each year well who knows.

As for win7 support, I don't know if we should keep it.

I mean I am a win7 user, but certainly after windows 10 reaches end of support we will probably have to abandon win7 support at some point.

So maybe we keep win7 support till the end of enterprize support whenever that is.

 

 

On 20/07/2021 2:33 am, Gene wrote:

A yearly disruption being what is expected, I submit that some systematic means be undertaken to determine what the most important and widely used add-ons are and that those functions be built into the core.  I’m not saying that the add-on can be directly added, but the functionality can. 

 

I don’t use many add-ons but I expect that there is swome very important functionality that relies on ad-ons.

 

Gene

-----Original Message-----

From: Joseph Lee

Sent: Monday, July 19, 2021 9:07 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Adding more add-ons to the core

 

Hi,

actually, backward compatibility breaks will be an annual thing, according to NV Access. The reason being to modernize NVDA, to keep up with technology and market conditions, and in case we move to newer Python and dependencies, to take advantage of features offered in newer releases.

For now modifying the manifest will suffice. But as I hinted in this thread, the next big thing for add-ons community is already in the works, and when that happens, add-on code itself must be modified. Specifically, a crucial part of many add-ons will receive a syntax update due to internal changes to how specific constants are represented, and as a result, the old way of doing things is going away next year. This change partly stems from a desire for NVDA to conform more closely with certain programming practices, namely using a more elegant way of displaying a collection of constants or flags called an enumeration (enum for short). Old NvDA releases could not take advantage of it as enumerations were not introduced until Python 3.4, so in a way, NVDA source code is still in the midst of a Python 3.7 transition ,although focused on modernizing things.

Making things a bit complicated is that Python developers decided that the programming language will receive annual updates. Ideally NVDA should be on Python 3.9 by now, but during the course of a brief experiment with Python 3.8 earlier this year, critical issues with speech synthesizer support (specifically, SAPI4 support) and Windows 7 and 8.x support were found that prevented us (NVDA contributors) from moving to newer Python releases (for now). At some point I expect NVDA to move onto newer Python releases to take advantage of speed and code improvements, which will once again break add-ons, and since it is very risky to break compatibility in every release, NV Access decided that the best thing was limit compatibility breaks like this to once a year.

As for Golden Cursor (mentioned in another message): the closest equivalent is mouse Keys with mouse tracking from NVDA turned on. This works best if you've enabled beeps to indicate mouse position.

To answer Ella's question about Add-on Updater becoming part of NVDA Core: when I created this add-on three years ago, I intended that it will be part of NVDA Core eventually. Although it is too early to say, a variation is being planned by NV Access (more on that later).

Cheers,

Joseph


Re: Adding more add-ons to the core

 

Hi,

Windows 7 support depends not only on Microsoft stances and feedback from users, but also on what NvDA dependency developers say. As a Python-based program, Windows 7 support depends on how long Python will support it, and the last version to support Windows 7 properly is Python 3.8, which is supported in security only mode. So the chance of NVDA supporting Windows 7 until January 2023 (end of extended support for enterprises from Microsoft) is decreasing each day.

Cheers,

Joseph


Re: Adding more add-ons to the core

 

Well I agree on that jean.

The interactive fiction one now works as well as a few others but if this is going to be each year well who knows.

As for win7 support, I don't know if we should keep it.

I mean I am a win7 user, but certainly after windows 10 reaches end of support we will probably have to abandon win7 support at some point.

So maybe we keep win7 support till the end of enterprize support whenever that is.



On 20/07/2021 2:33 am, Gene wrote:
A yearly disruption being what is expected, I submit that some systematic means be undertaken to determine what the most important and widely used add-ons are and that those functions be built into the core.  I’m not saying that the add-on can be directly added, but the functionality can. 
 
I don’t use many add-ons but I expect that there is swome very important functionality that relies on ad-ons.
 
Gene
-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph Lee
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2021 9:07 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Adding more add-ons to the core
 

Hi,

actually, backward compatibility breaks will be an annual thing, according to NV Access. The reason being to modernize NVDA, to keep up with technology and market conditions, and in case we move to newer Python and dependencies, to take advantage of features offered in newer releases.

For now modifying the manifest will suffice. But as I hinted in this thread, the next big thing for add-ons community is already in the works, and when that happens, add-on code itself must be modified. Specifically, a crucial part of many add-ons will receive a syntax update due to internal changes to how specific constants are represented, and as a result, the old way of doing things is going away next year. This change partly stems from a desire for NVDA to conform more closely with certain programming practices, namely using a more elegant way of displaying a collection of constants or flags called an enumeration (enum for short). Old NvDA releases could not take advantage of it as enumerations were not introduced until Python 3.4, so in a way, NVDA source code is still in the midst of a Python 3.7 transition ,although focused on modernizing things.

Making things a bit complicated is that Python developers decided that the programming language will receive annual updates. Ideally NVDA should be on Python 3.9 by now, but during the course of a brief experiment with Python 3.8 earlier this year, critical issues with speech synthesizer support (specifically, SAPI4 support) and Windows 7 and 8.x support were found that prevented us (NVDA contributors) from moving to newer Python releases (for now). At some point I expect NVDA to move onto newer Python releases to take advantage of speed and code improvements, which will once again break add-ons, and since it is very risky to break compatibility in every release, NV Access decided that the best thing was limit compatibility breaks like this to once a year.

As for Golden Cursor (mentioned in another message): the closest equivalent is mouse Keys with mouse tracking from NVDA turned on. This works best if you've enabled beeps to indicate mouse position.

To answer Ella's question about Add-on Updater becoming part of NVDA Core: when I created this add-on three years ago, I intended that it will be part of NVDA Core eventually. Although it is too early to say, a variation is being planned by NV Access (more on that later).

Cheers,

Joseph


Re: Adding more add-ons to the core

 

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 11:21 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Even though we are volunteers, I still think it is important for developers to listen to what users are saying.
-
Being a volunteer in many places, including here as moderator, I take volunteer commitments more seriously than paid ones (and I take those quite seriously, indeed) because they are commitments I chose.  They were not foist upon me by any outside forces, but by choice.  There's an honor element to that.

And that is not to say it's in any way dishonorable to recuse oneself from any volunteer positions when one's life circumstances or desires change.  But there is a right way, with some attempt to find someone to fill your shoes and show them the ropes where that's needed, and a wrong way, packing up one's proverbial toys and going home, to do that.  A graceful exit is best practice in virtually all circumstances, even in those where the urge to burn those bridges then blow them up, too, is strong.  Bad behavior tends to come back to bite you in the posterior.

And if you're developing software where the intended (not accidental, but intended) target demographic extends beyond yourself, it behooves you to listen to their feedback.  If you've developed something for yourself, and it serves your needs, but you pass it around for others to use that's an entirely different circumstance.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

Yep.  Discipline.  Accountability.  Joy.  Fun.  Responsibility.

That's what life is about.  And in that order.

        ~ Liza Minnelli

 

5661 - 5680 of 92001