Date   

Re: MP3 Direct Cut--Splitting Files

Gene
 

I don’t know how you are trying to split files.  Do you know how to edit?  If I want to divide a file, I do so by editing.  I will describe the procedure in another message if you don’t know how.
 
In essence, you select a part of a file, save the selected material, delete the selected material, then repeat the procedure until you have saved the parts you have selected, all as separate files.
 
Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 3:01 PM
To: nvda
Subject: [nvda] MP3 Direct Cut--Splitting Files
 
I can't figure out how to use this program with NVDA. All I would like
to do is split a single file into four parts, but the manual's
explanation for how to do this is extremely unclear as it involves
graphs. Prior threads suggest this program may be accessible--can
anybody help me out here?

--
K. Scott Carlson





MP3 Direct Cut--Splitting Files

kelby carlson
 

I can't figure out how to use this program with NVDA. All I would like
to do is split a single file into four parts, but the manual's
explanation for how to do this is extremely unclear as it involves
graphs. Prior threads suggest this program may be accessible--can
anybody help me out here?

--
K. Scott Carlson


Re: Weird Abbreviation Processing Mid-word?

Gene
 

I hadn’t realized it, but the setting I was talking about is the same setting as you are discussing.  It isn’t the one that was originally discussed and I mistakenly thought it was.
 
The inapplicable setting I was discussing is in the SAPI 5 version.  It may be in NVDA in that version as well.  If you are using the add-on, it is probably in NVDA but I don’t know if there are separate settings for SAPI or if they are only in the voice settings dialog..
 
Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 1:18 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Weird Abbreviation Processing Mid-word?
 
The box steve is talking about was apparently expand abbreviations and
there's no such box. I open settings from within the nvda menu itself,
and the process punctuation is definitely there. But it's had no
impact on the weird abbreviation problem.

On 10/11/21, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> How are you looking at the settings?  If you open eloquence on the desktop,
> you will be in a dialog.  If you tab I believe once, you will see a check
> box that says process punctuation.
>
> Gene
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Clement Chou
> Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 12:11 PM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [nvda] Weird Abbreviation Processing Mid-word?
>
> Hi Steve. I don't even have such a box in my code factory eloquence
> settings, otherwise I'd try it. lol
>
> On 10/11/21, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 10:59 AM, Mohamed wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> The double spacing between the number and the word seems to get around
>>> the
>>> issue.
>>
>> -
>> Thanks for the verbal explanation.  The fact that there are two spaces
>> after
>> the number in the replacement is not visually obvious and I didn't do
>> "whitespace analysis."
>>
>> It is amazing how often just tweaking whitespace or playing with
>> adding/removing word capitalization is enough.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043
>>
>> *The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.*
>>
>> ~ John F. Kennedy
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>





Re: Weird Abbreviation Processing Mid-word?

Jackie
 

When I also have this problem is w/heading numbers, as in

<h3> Marketing </h3>

It'll read
March 3 ketting
because it's translating the heading number into a date format, I guess.

Truly annoying.

On 10/11/21, Clement Chou <chou.clement@...> wrote:
The box steve is talking about was apparently expand abbreviations and
there's no such box. I open settings from within the nvda menu itself,
and the process punctuation is definitely there. But it's had no
impact on the weird abbreviation problem.

On 10/11/21, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
How are you looking at the settings? If you open eloquence on the
desktop,
you will be in a dialog. If you tab I believe once, you will see a check
box that says process punctuation.

Gene
-----Original Message-----
From: Clement Chou
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 12:11 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Weird Abbreviation Processing Mid-word?

Hi Steve. I don't even have such a box in my code factory eloquence
settings, otherwise I'd try it. lol

On 10/11/21, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 10:59 AM, Mohamed wrote:


The double spacing between the number and the word seems to get around
the
issue.
-
Thanks for the verbal explanation. The fact that there are two spaces
after
the number in the replacement is not visually obvious and I didn't do
"whitespace analysis."

It is amazing how often just tweaking whitespace or playing with
adding/removing word capitalization is enough.

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043

*The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.*

~ John F. Kennedy

















--
Subscribe to a WordPress for Newbies Mailing List by sending a message to:
wp4newbs-request@... with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by
visiting the list page at http://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs
& check out my sites at www.brightstarsweb.com & www.mysitesbeenhacked.com


Re: Weird Abbreviation Processing Mid-word?

Clement Chou
 

The box steve is talking about was apparently expand abbreviations and
there's no such box. I open settings from within the nvda menu itself,
and the process punctuation is definitely there. But it's had no
impact on the weird abbreviation problem.

On 10/11/21, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
How are you looking at the settings? If you open eloquence on the desktop,
you will be in a dialog. If you tab I believe once, you will see a check
box that says process punctuation.

Gene
-----Original Message-----
From: Clement Chou
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 12:11 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Weird Abbreviation Processing Mid-word?

Hi Steve. I don't even have such a box in my code factory eloquence
settings, otherwise I'd try it. lol

On 10/11/21, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 10:59 AM, Mohamed wrote:


The double spacing between the number and the word seems to get around
the
issue.
-
Thanks for the verbal explanation. The fact that there are two spaces
after
the number in the replacement is not visually obvious and I didn't do
"whitespace analysis."

It is amazing how often just tweaking whitespace or playing with
adding/removing word capitalization is enough.

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043

*The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.*

~ John F. Kennedy














Re: Weird Abbreviation Processing Mid-word?

Gene
 

How are you looking at the settings?  If you open eloquence on the desktop, you will be in a dialog.  If you tab I believe once, you will see a check box that says process punctuation. 
 
Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 12:11 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Weird Abbreviation Processing Mid-word?
 
Hi Steve. I don't even have such a box in my code factory eloquence
settings, otherwise I'd try it. lol

On 10/11/21, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 10:59 AM, Mohamed wrote:
>
>>
>> The double spacing between the number and the word seems to get around
>> the
>> issue.
>
> -
> Thanks for the verbal explanation.  The fact that there are two spaces after
> the number in the replacement is not visually obvious and I didn't do
> "whitespace analysis."
>
> It is amazing how often just tweaking whitespace or playing with
> adding/removing word capitalization is enough.
>
> --
>
> Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043
>
> *The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.*
>
> ~ John F. Kennedy
>
>
>
>
>
>





Re: Weird Abbreviation Processing Mid-word?

Clement Chou
 

Hi Steve. I don't even have such a box in my code factory eloquence
settings, otherwise I'd try it. lol

On 10/11/21, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 10:59 AM, Mohamed wrote:


The double spacing between the number and the word seems to get around
the
issue.
-
Thanks for the verbal explanation.  The fact that there are two spaces after
the number in the replacement is not visually obvious and I didn't do
"whitespace analysis."

It is amazing how often just tweaking whitespace or playing with
adding/removing word capitalization is enough.

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043

*The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.*

~ John F. Kennedy






Re: NVDA and emoji keyboard #addonrelease

 

Hi,

At least it does work with Microsoft Edge 94 - when I open mobile Facebook website to write a comment or reply to a message, and then press Windows+Period to open emoji panel and navigate it then press Enter on an emoji, the selected emoji is entered. NVDA also announces selected emojis as I navigate through the emoji panel.

Does this problem happen with Narrator, too? If not, tyhat's something we may need to look into - please ping me next Monday if you still need my assistance (I'm out of action this week in NVDA world due to graduate school midterm this week).

Cheers,

Joseph


Re: NVDA and emoji keyboard #addonrelease

JinYoun
 

Hi Joseph, yes, I use windows 10 and it wouldn't work when I try to use it when replying to a post on m.facebook.com on google chrome. Not sure if it would be difference in different areas of fb because I haven't posted in a long time... I think it didn't work when replying to a message too in the messages section.
Thank you  


locked Re: Is there a U.S. Tax Deductible Entity that Supports NVDA?

 

Topic locked.  Any further discussion should occur on the Chat Subgroup.  We're not here for metadiscussion of charitable motives, and I thought I'd made that more than abundantly clear.

If someone has a definitive answer as to an organization in the USA that has tax deductible status that supports NVDA, please send that to the Owner Address and it will be conveyed.

Otherwise, this discussion is done.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

 


locked Re: Is there a U.S. Tax Deductible Entity that Supports NVDA?

Howard Traxler
 

It's my understanding that contributions to NVAccess is deductable under US tax code.

On 10/11/2021 10:35 AM, enes sarıbaş wrote:

Hi,

No offense, here is my question. Why do people donate for a tax deduction?  Isn't the point of a donation cherity, and not expecting to get that money back?

On 10/11/2021 4:52 PM, Chris Smart wrote:

Right, and what chance do we have that our money will in fact go to NV Access?

Nobody is purchasing NVDA itself.

Maybe we should donate in the spirit of helping a worthy cause, not expecting to get the money back? Just a thought.


locked Re: Is there a U.S. Tax Deductible Entity that Supports NVDA?

enes sarıbaş
 

Hi,

No offense, here is my question. Why do people donate for a tax deduction?  Isn't the point of a donation cherity, and not expecting to get that money back?

On 10/11/2021 4:52 PM, Chris Smart wrote:

Right, and what chance do we have that our money will in fact go to NV Access?

Nobody is purchasing NVDA itself.

 

Maybe we should donate in the spirit of helping a worthy cause, not expecting to get the money back? Just a thought.

 


Re: Weird Abbreviation Processing Mid-word?

 

On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 10:59 AM, Mohamed wrote:
The double spacing between the number and the word seems to get around the issue.
-
Thanks for the verbal explanation.  The fact that there are two spaces after the number in the replacement is not visually obvious and I didn't do "whitespace analysis."

It is amazing how often just tweaking whitespace or playing with adding/removing word capitalization is enough.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

 


Re: Weird Abbreviation Processing Mid-word?

Gene
 

I didn't check the second entry, which eliminates mishandling of legitimate dates, but I checked the first entry and it works with numbers I tested.  I tested 1 2 and 3 followed by Mayflower, and I tested 10 and 11 followed by Mayflower.


Gene

On Sun, Oct 10, 2021 at 10:29 PM, Mohamed wrote:
\b(\d+) (Jan|Feb|Mar|Apr|May|Jun|Jul|Aug|Sep|Sept|Oct|Nov|Dec)([a-z]+)

Replacement.
\1  \2\3
-
Mohamed,

Would this actually work?  [I don't have time to test]

I ask because what you're handing the synth, reconstructed, is precisely what it would have been handed anyway, given that \1 will be the number, you've placed a space after it, and \2\3 would be the original full word following.  I'm not criticizing the regex formation, but the substitute and the original appear, to me, to be the same thing.

If it's the synth that's screwing this up, it's being given the same thing to screw up.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

 


Re: Weird Abbreviation Processing Mid-word?

Mohamed
 

Essentially, the synth has a rule to expand abbreviated dates like 2 Sept to their more natural form. The problem is that the synth fails to take into account that there may be extra text after the abbreviated month, resulting in the weird expansions described here. The double spacing between the number and the word seems to get around the issue.

On 10/11/2021 10:49 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Sun, Oct 10, 2021 at 10:29 PM, Mohamed wrote:
\b(\d+) (Jan|Feb|Mar|Apr|May|Jun|Jul|Aug|Sep|Sept|Oct|Nov|Dec)([a-z]+)

Replacement.
\1  \2\3
-
Mohamed,

Would this actually work?  [I don't have time to test]

I ask because what you're handing the synth, reconstructed, is precisely what it would have been handed anyway, given that \1 will be the number, you've placed a space after it, and \2\3 would be the original full word following.  I'm not criticizing the regex formation, but the substitute and the original appear, to me, to be the same thing.

If it's the synth that's screwing this up, it's being given the same thing to screw up.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

 


Re: Weird Abbreviation Processing Mid-word?

 

On Sun, Oct 10, 2021 at 10:29 PM, Mohamed wrote:
\b(\d+) (Jan|Feb|Mar|Apr|May|Jun|Jul|Aug|Sep|Sept|Oct|Nov|Dec)([a-z]+)

Replacement.
\1  \2\3
-
Mohamed,

Would this actually work?  [I don't have time to test]

I ask because what you're handing the synth, reconstructed, is precisely what it would have been handed anyway, given that \1 will be the number, you've placed a space after it, and \2\3 would be the original full word following.  I'm not criticizing the regex formation, but the substitute and the original appear, to me, to be the same thing.

If it's the synth that's screwing this up, it's being given the same thing to screw up.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

 


Re: Weird Abbreviation Processing Mid-word?

 

On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 10:36 AM, Steve Nutt wrote:
uncheck Expand Abbreviations? Wouldn't that fix it?
-
While it very well may, that also introduces issues where a working around an edge case would most likely knock out functionality you want most of the time.

This really is a no-win situation in the big picture.  It either needs to be fixed, actually fixed, or any workaround is going to have foreseeable unwanted results.

If it becomes known that it cannot or will not be fixed, then you're in a "pick your poison" situation.  Of course, depending on what you know about the document(s) you're working with, the pick may change, but some poison is still involved (even if it's just inconvenience).
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

 


Re: Weird Abbreviation Processing Mid-word?

Mohamed
 

No, that setting would not fix the issue. Some abbreviations can't be turned off even with that setting, and this is one of them.

On 10/11/2021 10:36 AM, Steve Nutt wrote:
Hi,

Or you could go into the Eloquence settings in CodeFactory Eloquence and uncheck Expand Abbreviations? Wouldn't that fix it?

All the best

Steve

--
To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW
T: +44(0)1438-742286
M: +44(0)7956-334938
F: +44(0)1438-759589
E: steve@...
W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Clement Chou
Sent: 11 October 2021 01:54
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Weird Abbreviation Processing Mid-word?

Pretty sure I haven't been the first one to experience this, so others probably have. I will contact them as well, just in case, but I'm not holding my breath. It's ironic how alternative versions of Eloquence don't have this issue. Thanks for the detective work Jean. I'm not surprised that it's a problem with this version of eloquence..
codefactory makes a lot of assumptions about how people want things read. lol

On 10/10/21, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:
Has anyone contacted them about this? If so what was their response if any?





From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian
Vogel
Sent: Sunday, October 10, 2021 3:09 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Weird Abbreviation Processing Mid-word?



On Sun, Oct 10, 2021 at 05:28 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Now, to see if they really care.

-
And they very well may not. But, as I've said many times about many
pieces of software: They can't fix what has never been identified (or
stumbled upon by them - which is a form of identification) as a problem.

And, sometimes, even if "they" care, quite a bit, fix time frames are
directly dependent on both the complexity of the work required and
where a given fix falls in their hierarchy of work for both new features and fixes.
Some stuff that's really simple to fix is done very quickly while some
stuff that appears to be very simple to fix really isn't, or there are
tons of higher priority issues/new features.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043

The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.

~ John F. Kennedy



















Re: Weird Abbreviation Processing Mid-word?

Steve Nutt
 

Hi,

Or you could go into the Eloquence settings in CodeFactory Eloquence and uncheck Expand Abbreviations? Wouldn't that fix it?

All the best

Steve

--
To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW
T: +44(0)1438-742286
M: +44(0)7956-334938
F: +44(0)1438-759589
E: steve@...
W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Clement Chou
Sent: 11 October 2021 01:54
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Weird Abbreviation Processing Mid-word?

Pretty sure I haven't been the first one to experience this, so others probably have. I will contact them as well, just in case, but I'm not holding my breath. It's ironic how alternative versions of Eloquence don't have this issue. Thanks for the detective work Jean. I'm not surprised that it's a problem with this version of eloquence..
codefactory makes a lot of assumptions about how people want things read. lol

On 10/10/21, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:
Has anyone contacted them about this? If so what was their response if any?





From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian
Vogel
Sent: Sunday, October 10, 2021 3:09 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Weird Abbreviation Processing Mid-word?



On Sun, Oct 10, 2021 at 05:28 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Now, to see if they really care.

-
And they very well may not. But, as I've said many times about many
pieces of software: They can't fix what has never been identified (or
stumbled upon by them - which is a form of identification) as a problem.

And, sometimes, even if "they" care, quite a bit, fix time frames are
directly dependent on both the complexity of the work required and
where a given fix falls in their hierarchy of work for both new features and fixes.
Some stuff that's really simple to fix is done very quickly while some
stuff that appears to be very simple to fix really isn't, or there are
tons of higher priority issues/new features.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043

The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.

~ John F. Kennedy











locked Re: Is there a U.S. Tax Deductible Entity that Supports NVDA?

 

By the way, if anyone has an actual direct answer to the question asked, whether a name of an organization or a "there isn't one," then please give it.  That answer is pertinent to NVDA.

Our metaconversation about charitable giving is not (and that includes my contribution to said conversation) and it needs to stop.  Now.  At least on the main NVDA Group.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

 

11221 - 11240 of 99615