Date   

Interview with Bhavya Shah - part 1

Quentin Christensen
 

Hi everyone,

Today I am excited to bring you another in our NVDA user stories series - this one the start of its own series!  I chatted with community contributor Bhavya Shah recently, about how he came to NVDA and how he uses it, and some of the many other aspects of his busy life.  It was such a great interview, that we didn't want to cut too much out to keep it short, so instead we're making it a three part series.  Part 1 is available now:


As always I'm interested in feedback, but also particularly this time, on the longer series format and whether that works for you or not?

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager


Re: An issue I’m having with a web form at work

 

Have you tried CTRL + spacebar as your select/deselect toggle for an individual item without losing those already selected?
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

 


An issue I’m having with a web form at work

Khalid Anwar
 

Imagine you open up a drop-down menu, and it brings up a list and you have to select multiple elements from this list.
The way a sighted person would do it is by holding down the control key and then pressing the left mouse button, this would highlight/select the necessary element without clicking on it, however when I press enter on one of the elements, it automatically wishes to submit the web form.
Is there any way around this?
I’m thinking about asking the IT department to make all the separate elements into their own checkboxes.


Re: Can NVDA be placed in a default directory when creating a portable version?

Sarah k Alawami
 

Right, it's a catch 22. I hav ealways made it a habit to choose a folder with anything, not sure if it was my computer teacher who drilled it into me or all the years I've pulled out all of my hair, lol!


Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. .

For more info go to our website. . to subscribe to the feed click here

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch and odysee. Thanks Restream staff.

Videos of some of our podcasts can be found on odysee

You can support the podcast by subscribing via the tip jar. You will get early access episodes plus no adds. If you cannot do that, then leave a 5 star rating on our podcast using your podcast directory's rating system.

On 11 Nov 2021, at 10:12, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 12:51 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
Actually for me when I create a portable copy in a folder 

Key words here:  "in a folder"

If you designate a folder all of the portable NVDA content uses that folder as its "root folder" and gets created under it.

The problem here seems to be that many (and I hasten to add this is not saying they're wrong) are unaccustomed to actually specifying a folder in which to place something and that when you pick just a drive, it's going to use the root folder of that drive as its starting point.  Thus, if you already have files and folders at the root level of the drive you're using, the NVDA portable copy has its files at the root level and the folders it creates there as well.

To me, there is no "right way" for NVDA to do this, as many are accustomed to the idea that they must specify a folder on a drive, and if they don't, the root folder of the drive will be used, and very often that's precisely what's wanted so that you don't have to "drill down" in the folder structure of that drive to fire up your portable copy.

If NVDA were to create a subfolder then users would have to know what that subfolder was named (NVDA being the obvious choice).  But they'd then have to navigate to that folder to fire up NVDA portable.

I'm agnostic about whether or not a dedicated folder were created, because either choice has a class of users it's going to give consternation to.

One of the first things I try to teach my clients, and my partner (who seems to be a lost cause on this), is that you never "just allow" whatever it is to choose its own location.  You take the time to browse so that, even if you elect to use whatever location it is that's chosen as the default, you are aware of exactly where that thing is going to be created or saved.  Very often, it's not where you'd think, and then you have control over where it gets put.

When I go to create a portable copy from an already installed instance of NVDA, the first thing it asks is for you to specify the path, whether by typing it out or browsing (which is what I always do), and then checking which of the other two option checkboxes you may wish before hitting the Continue button.  Right there you have the power to choose precisely where you wish to have the portable copy created.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

 


Re: New member needing help

Gene
 

If you are completely new to Windows and NVdA, you need organized teaching about Windows and, depending on how you are going to use it, some organized teaching about NVDA.  You can learn a small amount about any screen-reader such as how to control the rate of speech, read the title bar, and a small number of other commands, and do a great deal if you know Windows basics.
 
I don’t know how much money you want to spend nor do I know if the NVDA instructional material mainly teaches NVDA or both Windows and NVDA.  but a good knowledge of Windows is more important in many ways than a detailed knowledge of NVDA, especially when you aren’t doing things that require an advanced knowledge of NVDA.  It is far more important in the beginning to learn Windows well than a lot about a screen-reader.
 
I would say to get as standard a keyboard as possible, based on what you have said in terms of what you appear to need to learn.  I don’t know anything about the other keyboard you are asking about and those who know it may disagree with me. 
 
Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2021 1:21 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] New member needing help
 
Hello, Tracy. I've already done that. I would have to assign key combinations to each command. The thing is that I'm completely new to Windows and NVDA. So I feel lost.
Thanks for everything.
Sincerely.


----- Original Message -----
From: Tracy
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Date: Thursday, November 11, 2021 09:25
Subject: Re: [nvda] New member needing help

Hi. I have the Orbit Writer and like it. I read and write only in English. You may want to phone Orbit Research and speak with them directly.


Tracy


On 2021-11-10 9:18 p.m., Viris g. Rodríguez wrote:

Hello everybody. I'm Viris Rodríguez and I live in Mexico City.
About a month ago, I bought the InsideOne tablet manufactured by InsideVision. I thought I would be able to get used to the touch screen but I couldn't. Silly, I know.
However, I don't want to give it back because I'm not gonna beg Freedomscientific nor Eurobraille. So, I've been looking for an external keyboard to control my tablet.
I've recently found the orbit writer, which I really like. But, according to the user guide, it has no NVDA commands to control Windows. I've also checked some qwerty keyboards like the Macally FRcompactkey but I was told it only supported US English.
As far as I know, NVDA supports several languages. Is it possible to configure NVDA to enter Spanish characters using a qwerty keyboard?
Should I buy the orbit writer or a standard qwerty keyboard?
I'm sorry to bother you. Any help would be really appreciated.
Sincerely.


Re: New member needing help

Viris g. Rodríguez <vgr.09.15@...>
 

Hello, Tracy. I've already done that. I would have to assign key combinations to each command. The thing is that I'm completely new to Windows and NVDA. So I feel lost.
Thanks for everything.
Sincerely.


----- Original Message -----
From: Tracy
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Date: Thursday, November 11, 2021 09:25
Subject: Re: [nvda] New member needing help

Hi. I have the Orbit Writer and like it. I read and write only in English. You may want to phone Orbit Research and speak with them directly.


Tracy


On 2021-11-10 9:18 p.m., Viris g. Rodríguez wrote:

Hello everybody. I'm Viris Rodríguez and I live in Mexico City.
About a month ago, I bought the InsideOne tablet manufactured by InsideVision. I thought I would be able to get used to the touch screen but I couldn't. Silly, I know.
However, I don't want to give it back because I'm not gonna beg Freedomscientific nor Eurobraille. So, I've been looking for an external keyboard to control my tablet.
I've recently found the orbit writer, which I really like. But, according to the user guide, it has no NVDA commands to control Windows. I've also checked some qwerty keyboards like the Macally FRcompactkey but I was told it only supported US English.
As far as I know, NVDA supports several languages. Is it possible to configure NVDA to enter Spanish characters using a qwerty keyboard?
Should I buy the orbit writer or a standard qwerty keyboard?
I'm sorry to bother you. Any help would be really appreciated.
Sincerely.

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#89541) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

NVDA Topics on Groups.io - https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/topics | NVDA Archive Search Page on Groups.io - https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/search

NVDA is developed by NV Access in collaboration with the community.
Get NVDA from: https://www.nvaccess.org/
Your continued donations help keep NVDA development going strong. Donate at: https://www.nvaccess.org/donate
Get NVDA add-ons at: https://addons.nvda-project.org/
Other links:
NVDA on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8601265515 Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [vgr.09.15@...]

_._,_._,_


Re: Can NVDA be placed in a default directory when creating a portable version?

 

On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 12:51 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
Actually for me when I create a portable copy in a folder 

Key words here:  "in a folder"

If you designate a folder all of the portable NVDA content uses that folder as its "root folder" and gets created under it.

The problem here seems to be that many (and I hasten to add this is not saying they're wrong) are unaccustomed to actually specifying a folder in which to place something and that when you pick just a drive, it's going to use the root folder of that drive as its starting point.  Thus, if you already have files and folders at the root level of the drive you're using, the NVDA portable copy has its files at the root level and the folders it creates there as well.

To me, there is no "right way" for NVDA to do this, as many are accustomed to the idea that they must specify a folder on a drive, and if they don't, the root folder of the drive will be used, and very often that's precisely what's wanted so that you don't have to "drill down" in the folder structure of that drive to fire up your portable copy.

If NVDA were to create a subfolder then users would have to know what that subfolder was named (NVDA being the obvious choice).  But they'd then have to navigate to that folder to fire up NVDA portable.

I'm agnostic about whether or not a dedicated folder were created, because either choice has a class of users it's going to give consternation to.

One of the first things I try to teach my clients, and my partner (who seems to be a lost cause on this), is that you never "just allow" whatever it is to choose its own location.  You take the time to browse so that, even if you elect to use whatever location it is that's chosen as the default, you are aware of exactly where that thing is going to be created or saved.  Very often, it's not where you'd think, and then you have control over where it gets put.

When I go to create a portable copy from an already installed instance of NVDA, the first thing it asks is for you to specify the path, whether by typing it out or browsing (which is what I always do), and then checking which of the other two option checkboxes you may wish before hitting the Continue button.  Right there you have the power to choose precisely where you wish to have the portable copy created.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

 


Re: Can NVDA be placed in a default directory when creating a portable version?

Sarah k Alawami
 

Actually for me when I create a portable copy in a folder  I believe it is all unified.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rowen Cary
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2021 5:32 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Can NVDA be placed in a default directory when creating a portable version?

 

Many people who create a portable version of NVDA for the first time think that they have placed the files in a unified directory, but this is not the case. They will find that the newly created NVDA contains multiple files, which are scattered in a folder. this is bad.


Re: avira antivirus and NVDA 2021.2

Josh Kennedy
 

yes it works fine but you have to tab through it and sometimes use flat review.


Re: avira antivirus and NVDA 2021.2

enes sarıbaş
 

Hi,

Does the action on threat detection dialogue work properly?

On 11/10/2021 3:39 PM, Josh Kennedy wrote:

Hey I just tried out avira antivirus free edition, and it seems accessible with NVDA. I wanted to double-scan some folders with files in them before uploading to google drive and decided to try out avira. Aside from some unlabeled buttons it works ok.

 

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows

 


Re: Numbers.

 

Bill,

Give the following a whirl in the dictionary of your choosing, be it default or voice or temporary.  Just remember if you try it in the temporary dictionary it will vanish if you exit NVDA and start it again later.

Your pattern should be:     \b(1[0-9]|2[0-9])([0-9]{2})

Your replacement should be:  \1 \2

Your comment should be something like:  Make year speak typically

And the Type radio button should be regular expression.

This should cover all years between 1000 and 2099.   This may be problematic if you do a lot of work with 4 digit numbers otherwise, but if that's the case then we need to refine how one uses context around the 4 digits to determine whether they should be spoken as a regular number or as a year is typically spoken.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

 


Re: Numbers.

 

The only way I know of to make this happen, and it wouldn't be "generic across all years", is to use the speech dictionary with a trigger word, such as "in," "year," "was," or "of" directly ahead of 1850 and, when that's there, make the replacement string the trigger word plus eighteen fifty.

So sentences like, "It was 1850, and times were bleak," or, "She died in the year 1850," would read correctly.

One could try making this generic by matching the trigger word, the first two digits, and the second two digits but I'd have to think about how, exactly that capture would work.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

 


Re: New member needing help

Tracy <tracy.mousseau@...>
 

Hi. I have the Orbit Writer and like it. I read and write only in English. You may want to phone Orbit Research and speak with them directly.


Tracy


On 2021-11-10 9:18 p.m., Viris g. Rodríguez wrote:

Hello everybody. I'm Viris Rodríguez and I live in Mexico City.
About a month ago, I bought the InsideOne tablet manufactured by InsideVision. I thought I would be able to get used to the touch screen but I couldn't. Silly, I know.
However, I don't want to give it back because I'm not gonna beg Freedomscientific nor Eurobraille. So, I've been looking for an external keyboard to control my tablet.
I've recently found the orbit writer, which I really like. But, according to the user guide, it has no NVDA commands to control Windows. I've also checked some qwerty keyboards like the Macally FRcompactkey but I was told it only supported US English.
As far as I know, NVDA supports several languages. Is it possible to configure NVDA to enter Spanish characters using a qwerty keyboard?
Should I buy the orbit writer or a standard qwerty keyboard?
I'm sorry to bother you. Any help would be really appreciated.
Sincerely.


Re: Numbers.

Gene
 

Some synthesizers do this, I don’t know how many.  I believe there is a way to do this with the speech dictionary and someone may send instructions.
 
Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2021 6:14 AM
Subject: [nvda] Numbers.
 
Is there any way you can make 1850 say the word instead of numbers? Any help
would be appreciated.
Bill.






Numbers.

Bill Chilcott
 

Is there any way you can make 1850 say the word instead of numbers? Any help
would be appreciated.
Bill.


Re: Persian Speech Synthesizer?

 

i am a iranian persian language speaker and i only use espeak ng.
i dont use other tts for several years and i am really satisfied with espeak ng.
but for supporting persian language and reading farsi documents perfectly,
Automatic language switching (when supported)
should be disabled.
also, eloquence does not support farsi at all!

On 11/10/21, Clement Chou <chou.clement@...> wrote:
Helping a friend set up a computer tomorrow and teaching some of the
basics. She's a native farsi speaker and wants to be able to work with
both languages. anyone got a lead on a farsi speech synthesizer for
NVDA? Free is better, but anything will do. Thanks!





--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali


Re: Persian Speech Synthesizer?

Ejaz Shah
 

ESpeak NG has one.

On 10/11/2021 11:44 pm, Clement Chou wrote:
Helping a friend set up a computer tomorrow and teaching some of the
basics. She's a native farsi speaker and wants to be able to work with
both languages. anyone got a lead on a farsi speech synthesizer for
NVDA? Free is better, but anything will do. Thanks!




Re: Newest NVDA and Vocalizer Voices?

Daniel McGee
 

Hi Brian


Here is the link which takes you to the codefactory website to download the latest version of the addon. Note: it states you need to be running NVDA 2021.1

Under that though, there is a link to download a previous version. So maybe try that one before updating NVDA. Just an idea.


I hope this helps you.


Cheers



https://codefactoryglobal.com/app-store/voices-for-nvda/

On 11/11/2021 05:24, Brian Buhrow wrote:
hello. When I began using NVDA some years ago, I purchased the Vocalizer addon for NVDA,
allowing me to use Eloquence and the Vocalizer voices from Codefactory. Recently, I was
prompted to install an NVDA update, but when I told the system to proceed, it informed me that
the newest version of NVDA is incompatible with the Vocalizer addon I purchased. For the
moment, I've delayed the update, but when searching around on the Web to find the latest
version of the Codefactory addon, it appears that there isn't one. I've seen a number of
versions that are "free" versions of these voices, but not the version I purchased.
So, what gives with the Codefactory voices? Are they stil supported and where should I go
to get the latest version of the addon if they are?

-thanks
-Brian





Re: New member needing help

Viris g. Rodríguez <vgr.09.15@...>
 

Sir, I just wanted some advice. I don't want to depend on the touch screen of my device. Just as a matter of information, I suffer from depression and anxiety. And I didn't know what you're telling me.


----- Original Message -----
From: Tyler Spivey via groups.io
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Date: Wednesday, November 10, 2021 23:38
Subject: Re: [nvda] New member needing help

What you buy is up to you.
If you buy a standard qwerty keyboard, you can enter whatever language
you want.
That's handled by Windows, not NVDA. Tell Windows you want to write in
Spanish, and your keyboard will work.

If you want the Orbit Writer, you can assign gestures in NVDA's input
gestures to control it.
You can emulate Windows commands like Alt+F4 with NVDA in Input
Gestures, but you'll have to assign each one, and it asks you to enter
the gesture (which you need a keyboard for, though the tablet's built-in
keyboard might work).
If NVDA crashes, you can't simply press alt+ctrl+n like you can on a
regular keyboard to restart it, since NVDA is handling the Orbit Writer.
You'd have to restart it from the tablet.

I've tried one with NVDA, and For me, NVDA needs to be restarted every
time the Orbit Writer turns off to get it to work again, which could be
annoying.

On 11/10/2021 6:18 PM, Viris g. Rodríguez wrote:
> Hello everybody. I'm Viris Rodríguez and I live in Mexico City.
> About a month ago, I bought the InsideOne tablet manufactured by
> InsideVision. I thought I would be able to get used to the touch screen
> but I couldn't. Silly, I know.
> However, I don't want to give it back because I'm not gonna beg
> Freedomscientific nor Eurobraille. So, I've been looking for an external
> keyboard to control my tablet.
> I've recently found the orbit writer, which I really like. But,
> according to the user guide, it has no NVDA commands to control Windows.
> I've also checked some qwerty keyboards like the Macally FRcompactkey
> but I was told it only supported US English.
> As far as I know, NVDA supports several languages. Is it possible to
> configure NVDA to enter Spanish characters using a qwerty keyboard?
> Should I buy the orbit writer or a standard qwerty keyboard?
> I'm sorry to bother you. Any help would be really appreciated.
> Sincerely.
>



Re: Can NVDA be placed in a default directory when creating a portable version?

Quentin Christensen
 

Rowen, without drifting this conversation off topic, yes, there is an issue for removing the config when uninstalling as well.

Quentin.

On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 2:40 PM Rowen Cary <manchen_0528@...> wrote:

@Qchristensen's idea is very good, I am very happy to see the implementation of this pr. Another thing that is often talked about is that it is allowed to delete the configuration when uninstalling NVDA. I think this priority may be higher.



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

11681 - 11700 of 101036