Date   

Re: new addon: NVDA Advanced OCR.

 

On Wed, Dec 8, 2021 at 01:08 PM, Mani Iyer wrote:
In case of a flat bed scanner, wouldn’t the scanner software be able to create a PDF of the scan?
-
Yes, but that means firing up the scanner software and actually creating a PDF file that's unlikely to be wanted over the long term.

What I'm saying is that it would be lovely to be able to plop say, your water bill, on your scanner or under your camera, run an NVDA OCR on it, get whatever you need at that moment, then just let the result disappear, as you'll never refer to it again.  There are cameras that don't create image files if a scanner function is part of them, they just "scan" differently.

It would just be really handy for quick and dirty, one-time reads on documents that need to be scanned and without the need to involve other software or to potentially have to save results you really don't want to save.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

The difference between a top-flight creative man and the hack is his ability to express powerful meanings indirectly.

         ~ Vance Packard

 


Re: new addon: NVDA Advanced OCR.

Simone Dal Maso
 

Hello,
you are the second person that meets this inconvenience. So, we should understand where is the problem.
Please, make this test:
use the standard NVDA Ocr feature.
try to open a jpeg o a pdf that you are sure it is not accessible.
Once opened, press NVDA-r.
The screen reader make the ocr in the standard mode, not with the addon.
What happen when you use the cursor keys?
Can you navigate into the recognized text, or you are suddenly into adobe reader, Edge, or whatever software you use for pdf?

Da: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> per conto di Christo de Klerk <christodeklerk@...>
Inviato: Wednesday, December 8, 2021 7:39:32 PM
A: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Oggetto: Re: [nvda] new addon: NVDA Advanced OCR.
 
Hello

This could be a really useful addon. Unfortunately I am experiencing exactly the same issue of not being able to read the result of the OCR. When I move my cursor keys, the virtual window disappears and the text is gone. I am using NVDA version 2021.3 and Windows Version 21H2 (OS Build 19044.1348) on a 64 bit laptop and using desktop keyboard layout. This happens when I try to OCR an image PDF. Another addon developed by Rui Fontes which has similar functionality, does OCR the same PDF and I can read its resulting text.

I hope this issue could be resolved.

Kind regards

Christo


On 2021/12/08 5:40 pm, Cearbhall O'Meadhra wrote:
Simone and Brian,

I am reading Brian's problem with concern that there might be an implication that this add-on is not effective. I am using the add-on on Windows 10
Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1348)
With NVDA 2021.3 and the previous version of NVDA.
I have tried the add-on on a single image pdf document and on an image.tif document with perfect results.
I am moving the up and down arrow keys to traverse the result perfectly and the left and right arrows with equal success.
I have also managed to copy the result screen to the clipboard and paste it into an open notes document.

All this is, of course, only what the add-on is expected to do. So, brian, I am surprised at your difficulty and hope you find what is causing this problem for you.

All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...


-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Moore
Sent: Wednesday, December 8, 2021 2:06 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] new addon: NVDA Advanced OCR.

Hi.  No worries, this is how you troubleshoot things.

Desktop mechanical USB keyboard with regular arrow keys.


If it would help, happy to do an nvda remote session if that would help.


I am in Canada eastern time.


Brian.

Contact me on skype: brian.moore
follow me on twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/bmoore123

On 2021-12-08 8:32 a.m., Simone Dal Maso wrote:
Il 08/12/2021 13:57, Brian Moore ha scritto:
 The ocr process happens and I hear "result document" and the first
line of the file but as soon as I press an arrow key to read the
rest, the result vanishes and I am taken back to the folder from
where I initiated the ocr.

Ok, I will contact the developers for this.

Are you using a laptop? Or an usb keyboard?

The fact is that it seems that for some reasons the addon doesn't
intercept the arrow keys.

Are you using the normal arrow keys or for example some emulations or
numpad keys?


Sorry for all these questions but it is to understand the problem.













--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus








Re: new addon: NVDA Advanced OCR.

Christo de Klerk
 

Hello

This could be a really useful addon. Unfortunately I am experiencing exactly the same issue of not being able to read the result of the OCR. When I move my cursor keys, the virtual window disappears and the text is gone. I am using NVDA version 2021.3 and Windows Version 21H2 (OS Build 19044.1348) on a 64 bit laptop and using desktop keyboard layout. This happens when I try to OCR an image PDF. Another addon developed by Rui Fontes which has similar functionality, does OCR the same PDF and I can read its resulting text.

I hope this issue could be resolved.

Kind regards

Christo


On 2021/12/08 5:40 pm, Cearbhall O'Meadhra wrote:
Simone and Brian,

I am reading Brian's problem with concern that there might be an implication that this add-on is not effective. I am using the add-on on Windows 10
Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1348)
With NVDA 2021.3 and the previous version of NVDA.
I have tried the add-on on a single image pdf document and on an image.tif document with perfect results.
I am moving the up and down arrow keys to traverse the result perfectly and the left and right arrows with equal success.
I have also managed to copy the result screen to the clipboard and paste it into an open notes document.

All this is, of course, only what the add-on is expected to do. So, brian, I am surprised at your difficulty and hope you find what is causing this problem for you.

All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...


-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Moore
Sent: Wednesday, December 8, 2021 2:06 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] new addon: NVDA Advanced OCR.

Hi.  No worries, this is how you troubleshoot things.

Desktop mechanical USB keyboard with regular arrow keys.


If it would help, happy to do an nvda remote session if that would help.


I am in Canada eastern time.


Brian.

Contact me on skype: brian.moore
follow me on twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/bmoore123

On 2021-12-08 8:32 a.m., Simone Dal Maso wrote:
Il 08/12/2021 13:57, Brian Moore ha scritto:
 The ocr process happens and I hear "result document" and the first
line of the file but as soon as I press an arrow key to read the
rest, the result vanishes and I am taken back to the folder from
where I initiated the ocr.

Ok, I will contact the developers for this.

Are you using a laptop? Or an usb keyboard?

The fact is that it seems that for some reasons the addon doesn't
intercept the arrow keys.

Are you using the normal arrow keys or for example some emulations or
numpad keys?


Sorry for all these questions but it is to understand the problem.













--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus








Re: new addon: NVDA Advanced OCR.

Chris Mullins
 

Hi

I downloaded and installed the addon and tried it on a pdf document, which I was able to arrow through and read without difficulty.  However, when I tried to copy the document to the clipboard I pressedControl+a to select the whole file then Control+c to copy it to the clipboard, I experienced some difficulties.  I also use the clipspeak addon so “Select all” was voiced, as expected,  when I pressed Control+a and “Copy file” was voiced when I pressed Control+c, which was not the expected “Copy Text”.  When I tried to paste the clipboard into a text document, nothing happened, when I pasted into a folder location, all the files and folders in the folder containing the recognized pdf document were copied. 

 

The pdf file in question is protected, so could this be a factor in my being unable to capture a textual version of the recognized pdf file contents?     

 

Cheers

Chris

 

Sent from Mail for Windows

 

From: Brian Moore
Sent: 08 December 2021 15:54
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] new addon: NVDA Advanced OCR.

 

Hi.  Not sure why. I will try on a couple of more machines and see if I

get a different result. Perhaps, there is something particular to this

machine. I will report back.

 

Brian.

 

Contact me on skype: brian.moore

follow me on twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/bmoore123

 

On 2021-12-08 10:40 a.m., Cearbhall O'Meadhra wrote:

> Simone and Brian,

> I am reading Brian's problem with concern that there might be an implication that this add-on is not effective. I am using the add-on on Windows 10

> Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1348)

> With NVDA 2021.3 and the previous version of NVDA.

> I have tried the add-on on a single image pdf document and on an image.tif document with perfect results.

> I am moving the up and down arrow keys to traverse the result perfectly and the left and right arrows with equal success.

> I have also managed to copy the result screen to the clipboard and paste it into an open notes document.

> All this is, of course, only what the add-on is expected to do. So, brian, I am surprised at your difficulty and hope you find what is causing this problem for you.

> All the best,

> Cearbhall

> m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...

> -----Original Message-----

> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Moore

> Sent: Wednesday, December 8, 2021 2:06 PM

> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

> Subject: Re: [nvda] new addon: NVDA Advanced OCR.

> Hi.  No worries, this is how you troubleshoot things.

> Desktop mechanical USB keyboard with regular arrow keys.

> If it would help, happy to do an nvda remote session if that would help.

> I am in Canada eastern time.

> Brian.

> Contact me on skype: brian.moore

> follow me on twitter:

> http://www.twitter.com/bmoore123

> On 2021-12-08 8:32 a.m., Simone Dal Maso wrote:

>> Il 08/12/2021 13:57, Brian Moore ha scritto:

>>>   The ocr process happens and I hear "result document" and the first

>>> line of the file but as soon as I press an arrow key to read the

>>> rest, the result vanishes and I am taken back to the folder from

>>> where I initiated the ocr.

>>> 

>> Ok, I will contact the developers for this.

>> 

>> Are you using a laptop? Or an usb keyboard?

>> 

>> The fact is that it seems that for some reasons the addon doesn't

>> intercept the arrow keys.

>> 

>> Are you using the normal arrow keys or for example some emulations or

>> numpad keys?

>> 

>> 

>> Sorry for all these questions but it is to understand the problem.

>> 

>> 

>> 

>> 

>> 

>> 

>> 

>> 

> --

> This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.

> https://www.avast.com/antivirus

>

 

 

 

 

 


PayPal Address for Donations for the NVDA Advanced OCR Add-On

Simone Dal Maso
 

Il 08/12/2021 18:52, Shaun Everiss ha scritto:

Oh I sent you 20 bucks.
Shaun, I'm really sorry, I am a completed idiot!


I gave the wrong email address, I really hope that paypal tell you that the transaction is not possible.
Please let me know what is happening.

Unfortunately I forgot that I removed info@... from Paypal, it was there for several years.

So if paypal advised you and money come back, you can make the paypal to my only address:


simone.dalmaso@...


but if for some reason you have problem, please tell me!!!

I answered too many mail today, I must stop now!








On 9/12/2021 6:49 am, Simone Dal Maso wrote:

Il 08/12/2021 18:01, Steve Nutt ha scritto:
All you need now is an option to scan from a camera or flatbed scanner connected to the computer.

Yeah.

Yes, good suggestion.

I think it will be implemented.

Thank you for your suggestion!







Re: new addon: NVDA Advanced OCR.

Mani Iyer
 

Brian,
In case of a flat bed scanner, wouldn’t the scanner software be able to create a PDF of the scan?  And the camera would create the image file.  So it looks like the add-on can be used as a mail reader. Am I missing something?

Mani
 on. 


On Dec 8, 2021, at 12:05 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Wed, Dec 8, 2021 at 12:01 PM, Steve Nutt wrote:
All you need now is an option to scan from a camera or flatbed scanner connected to the computer.
-
That would be great, wouldn't it?  Would certainly make dealing with daily mail easier (among other things).
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

The difference between a top-flight creative man and the hack is his ability to express powerful meanings indirectly.

         ~ Vance Packard

 


Re: new addon: NVDA Advanced OCR.

Rui Fontes
 

It is possible, but I will not do it now since it seems that NAPS do not work in Windows 11...


But, tell me what keystrokes you want, and I will sent you a version with those keystrokes...


Rui Fontes


Às 17:20 de 08/12/2021, mehmet çetin escreveu:

hello, I have a request about this plugin, can you provide the opportunity to change the key shortcuts of the plugin?
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rui Fontes" <rui.fontes@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, December 8, 2021 6:44 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] new addon: NVDA Advanced OCR.


Hello!

You can get it at:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ez2r125eilvhzi9/NAPS2TesseractOCR_1.0.nvda-addon?dl=1


Comands:

NVDA+Shift+R to recognize a image file;

NVDA+Control+Shift+R to recognize from scanner.


Rui Fontes

NVDA portuguese team


Às 14:02 de 08/12/2021, Mobeen Iqbal escreveu:
Hi.

This certainly sounds like an excellent add-on. Does anyone know if there is a similar add-on or function to scan directly from twain scanners or cameras? That is the 1 missing function in my humble opinion.

Very best wishes,

Mo.


On 08/12/2021 11:24, Cearbhall O'Meadhra wrote:
Hi, Simone,

This is n excellent piece of work! I have just tried the add-on with a bank statement in bitmap form file in my Downloads folder. It works like a dream!
Yesterday, I tried to read the same file by using NVDA + r to OCR the Adobe screen displaying the statement. This gave me only a partial read of the contents. I am sure this was limited by the way Adobe was displaying the image.

Just now, I pointed to the closed file in my downloads folder and press NVDA+shift+r and, almost instantly, a crisp, clear version of the statement page appeared without all the material that complicated the Adobe-based image.

Many thanks to you and to the developer team and for sharing this great tool!


All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...


-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Simone Dal Maso
Sent: Wednesday, December 8, 2021 9:10 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] new addon: NVDA Advanced OCR.

Hello,

I am part of a developer team of a new addon.


I'd like to inform you that yesterday we published the first version of Nao, NVDA Advanced OCR.

I paste the little readme file and at last I put the link for download.

Feedback and suggestions are welcome!


Nao is an addon that improves the standard OCR capabilities that NVDA provides on modern Windows versions. While NVDA standard command uses Windows OCR to recognize the screen, NAO is able to make the OCR on files saved on your hard drive or USB devices. Use NVDA-Shift-R to recognize any sorts of images and pdf! Simply put the focus / cursor on the file you desire, don't open it, but hit NVDA-Shift-r. The document will be recognized and a simple text editfield will appear, allowing you to read the entire content. Nao is able to handle also multipage pdf, so if you have a not accessible document, don't worry, Windows OCR will be able to make yhr entire work.


System Requirements
The addon works on Windows 10 and Windows 11 systems, since they have OCR capabilities builtin. Nao is compatible from NVDA version 2021.2, so don't use older versions of the screen reader. Note that Nao works with Windows Explorer, on desktop, or with Total Commander filemanager; don't use other software like 7zip or Winrar , since they are not supported.

Features and commands
• NVDA + Shift + R: recognize any sorts of images and pdf from file system; ◦ PgUp / PgDown: move the cursor between real pages of a multipages document.
◦ NVDA + Shift + P: report page number related to the cursor position, in a multipage document.
• NVDA + Shift + Ctrl + R: take a full screen shot and recognize it.


Github repository:

https://github.com/sharkboyto/nao

Latest version:

https://github.com/sharkboyto/nao/releases/download/v_2021.1.07/nao-2021.1.07.nvda-addon







--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus














Re: new addon: NVDA Advanced OCR.

Rui Fontes
 

Please, read carefully...


Make the recognition and show the results in a TXT file...

I tthink is what I said with:

Maybe show in TXT file the results of recognition of a text file


Rui Fontes


Às 17:00 de 08/12/2021, Brian Vogel escreveu:

On Wed, Dec 8, 2021 at 11:58 AM, Rui Fontes wrote:
Maybe show in TXT file the results of recognition of a text file
-
Please elaborate on what you mean by this.

I cannot for the life of me understand it.  A text file is text.  You open it, you have the screen reader read it.  OCR and a text file don't go together, as there's nothing to OCR, it's already plain text.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

The difference between a top-flight creative man and the hack is his ability to express powerful meanings indirectly.

         ~ Vance Packard

 


Re: new addon: NVDA Advanced OCR.

Rui Fontes
 

As I already posted, it is already possible using NAPS add-on:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ez2r125eilvhzi9/NAPS2TesseractOCR_1.0.nvda-addon?dl=1


Rui Fontes


Às 17:05 de 08/12/2021, Brian Vogel escreveu:

On Wed, Dec 8, 2021 at 12:01 PM, Steve Nutt wrote:
All you need now is an option to scan from a camera or flatbed scanner connected to the computer.
-
That would be great, wouldn't it?  Would certainly make dealing with daily mail easier (among other things).
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

The difference between a top-flight creative man and the hack is his ability to express powerful meanings indirectly.

         ~ Vance Packard

 


Re: new addon: NVDA Advanced OCR.

Rui Fontes
 

No problem!

I do the same, using code from the Net and from other add-ons!

If it is already done, why do it again?


Regarding virtual text, it is nice for small amount of information, but not for large text...


Rui Fontes


Às 17:44 de 08/12/2021, Simone Dal Maso escreveu:

Hello Rui!


Yes, your addon was a great point of start, we put a comment in the now.py file to thanks all NVDA developers and contributors.


Thank you for all suggestions, I think all will be implemented. Having a simple window with the text is  nicer.


Thank you and have a nice day!






Re: new addon: NVDA Advanced OCR.

 

Well good to know, will be happy to hear of any updates as they come.

Oh I sent you 20 bucks.

On 9/12/2021 6:49 am, Simone Dal Maso wrote:

Il 08/12/2021 18:01, Steve Nutt ha scritto:
All you need now is an option to scan from a camera or flatbed scanner connected to the computer.

Yeah.

Yes, good suggestion.

I think it will be implemented.

Thank you for your suggestion!




Re: new addon: NVDA Advanced OCR.

Simone Dal Maso
 

Il 08/12/2021 18:01, Steve Nutt ha scritto:
All you need now is an option to scan from a camera or flatbed scanner connected to the computer.

Yeah.

Yes, good suggestion.

I think it will be implemented.

Thank you for your suggestion!


Re: new addon: NVDA Advanced OCR.

Simone Dal Maso
 

Hello Rui!


Yes, your addon was a great point of start, we put a comment in the now.py file to thanks all NVDA developers and contributors.


Thank you for all suggestions, I think all will be implemented. Having a simple window with the text is  nicer.


Thank you and have a nice day!


Re: new addon: NVDA Advanced OCR.

 

On Wed, Dec 8, 2021 at 12:13 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
For PDF files, provided that they are generated with accessibility in mind,
-
Joseph,

I haven't seen any PDF originally created as PDF that's not accessible, fully accessible, with the possible exception of the lack of Alt Text for images.

That being said, I always presume these OCR functions are going to need to exist for a very long time simply because there exist so many image scanned PDF files that were created long before OCR became a standard part of scanning (or even existed).

I'll tell you what I told several of my former clients who were grad students, and who routinely were handed ancient image scanned PDFs that have been in use for years to decades:  OCR process them, save the text layer with the file itself, then try like the dickens to get whoever it is that maintains the archive from which the original was pulled to ditch that original and replace it with the OCRed version.

It's really not anyone's fault that inaccessible PDFs exist that were scanned in "another era."  But those documents can easily be made accessible via OCR done so that the result can be saved as part of the source file.  Those who are the digital archivists should be willing to replace inaccessible versions with accessible ones with just the slightest bit of vetting of the result.  And if they don't want to accept an OCRed version from someone else, a system needs to be in place to report image scanned PDFs for permanent OCR processing by staff, and that it be done promptly.  This isn't time intensive when you're working on demand, rather than a search and destroy mission for every PDF that might be image scanned.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

The difference between a top-flight creative man and the hack is his ability to express powerful meanings indirectly.

         ~ Vance Packard

 


Re: new addon: NVDA Advanced OCR.

 

AAh ok thanks.

On 9/12/2021 6:19 am, Simone Dal Maso wrote:

Il 08/12/2021 17:52, Shaun Everiss ha scritto:
Ooh and if the devs support donations give me a paypal address I can send  a 20 at, because I will be using this.

Wow! Really, we didn't think about write that, because we are excited for the first addon and it is beatiful to see so many people happy about that.

If you want to make a paypal, you can address it to:


info@...


Thank you very much for your thought, it's really nice!


Have a nice Christmas.







Re: new addon: NVDA Advanced OCR.

mehmet çetin
 

hello, I have a request about this plugin, can you provide the opportunity to change the key shortcuts of the plugin?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rui Fontes" <rui.fontes@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, December 8, 2021 6:44 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] new addon: NVDA Advanced OCR.


Hello!

You can get it at:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ez2r125eilvhzi9/NAPS2TesseractOCR_1.0.nvda-addon?dl=1


Comands:

NVDA+Shift+R to recognize a image file;

NVDA+Control+Shift+R to recognize from scanner.


Rui Fontes

NVDA portuguese team


Às 14:02 de 08/12/2021, Mobeen Iqbal escreveu:
Hi.

This certainly sounds like an excellent add-on. Does anyone know if there is a similar add-on or function to scan directly from twain scanners or cameras? That is the 1 missing function in my humble opinion.

Very best wishes,

Mo.


On 08/12/2021 11:24, Cearbhall O'Meadhra wrote:
Hi, Simone,

This is n excellent piece of work! I have just tried the add-on with a bank statement in bitmap form file in my Downloads folder. It works like a dream!
Yesterday, I tried to read the same file by using NVDA + r to OCR the Adobe screen displaying the statement. This gave me only a partial read of the contents. I am sure this was limited by the way Adobe was displaying the image.

Just now, I pointed to the closed file in my downloads folder and press NVDA+shift+r and, almost instantly, a crisp, clear version of the statement page appeared without all the material that complicated the Adobe-based image.

Many thanks to you and to the developer team and for sharing this great tool!


All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...


-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Simone Dal Maso
Sent: Wednesday, December 8, 2021 9:10 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] new addon: NVDA Advanced OCR.

Hello,

I am part of a developer team of a new addon.


I'd like to inform you that yesterday we published the first version of Nao, NVDA Advanced OCR.

I paste the little readme file and at last I put the link for download.

Feedback and suggestions are welcome!


Nao is an addon that improves the standard OCR capabilities that NVDA provides on modern Windows versions. While NVDA standard command uses Windows OCR to recognize the screen, NAO is able to make the OCR on files saved on your hard drive or USB devices. Use NVDA-Shift-R to recognize any sorts of images and pdf! Simply put the focus / cursor on the file you desire, don't open it, but hit NVDA-Shift-r. The document will be recognized and a simple text editfield will appear, allowing you to read the entire content. Nao is able to handle also multipage pdf, so if you have a not accessible document, don't worry, Windows OCR will be able to make yhr entire work.


System Requirements
The addon works on Windows 10 and Windows 11 systems, since they have OCR capabilities builtin. Nao is compatible from NVDA version 2021.2, so don't use older versions of the screen reader. Note that Nao works with Windows Explorer, on desktop, or with Total Commander filemanager; don't use other software like 7zip or Winrar , since they are not supported.

Features and commands
• NVDA + Shift + R: recognize any sorts of images and pdf from file system; ◦ PgUp / PgDown: move the cursor between real pages of a multipages document.
◦ NVDA + Shift + P: report page number related to the cursor position, in a multipage document.
• NVDA + Shift + Ctrl + R: take a full screen shot and recognize it.


Github repository:

https://github.com/sharkboyto/nao

Latest version:

https://github.com/sharkboyto/nao/releases/download/v_2021.1.07/nao-2021.1.07.nvda-addon







--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus










opinion on the usability of total comander

 

Hi.

After hearing about the nao addon in the other topic, I was wandering on how good total commander is as compaired to say windows file explorer.

The win10 file explorer is not bad,  certainly not as bad as it used to be however with all the crazy junk going over with win11, I have wandered if instead of patching and hacking all the systems I use when I eventually have to go, if it would be better using an alternit shell instead.


Obviously I wouldn't want to use that shell automatically all the day long on any system, windows shell would be the default but at least while things are screwed a little I can get round it.

Naturally on my system I will hack and slash and crack my way to freedom.

But I really don't want to megatweak every system mainly because I won't be its main user, after all I go on these systems to update them.

Never the less, if this is small, maybe all I need to do is run this from a drive before I use it or run a shortcut.

The other issue I don't care for is loading all my tweakers and stuff on a system.

I really don't want to hose a system and I have almost done this with winaerotweaker by being to tweaky and not reading what I was doing and just toggling one day.

Luckily I was able to reverse what I did but I really don't want a user to start up one of my modifiers, hose the system completely and get told, that they were fiddling with my tool and changing who knows what.

Leaving me no choice bnut to reformat because I didn't know what was changed and they not being able to tell me.

I also need something that will hide where I can toggle it on without the user accidentally bumping it.

I have told one of my users how to use ccleaner with its initial configurations but I have also had to warn off my users from finding and running my tools as they could be dangerous.

Obviously I can't make them hard to exactly find and use, I mean I need to find them and use them but as long as they don't directly show themselves unless for whatever reason the user needs to brouse a particular folder of a drive or my stuff folder of a drive with my stuff in it its not a problem.


Re: new addon: NVDA Advanced OCR.

Simone Dal Maso
 

Il 08/12/2021 17:52, Shaun Everiss ha scritto:
Ooh and if the devs support donations give me a paypal address I can send  a 20 at, because I will be using this.

Wow! Really, we didn't think about write that, because we are excited for the first addon and it is beatiful to see so many people happy about that.

If you want to make a paypal, you can address it to:


info@...


Thank you very much for your thought, it's really nice!


Have a nice Christmas.


Re: new addon: NVDA Advanced OCR.

Janet Brandly
 

Thank you for developing this addon. I may not use it right now but will definitely keep it in mind. Your team's work and time are much appreciated.

Janet

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Simone Dal Maso
Sent: December 8, 2021 2:10 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] new addon: NVDA Advanced OCR.

Hello,

I am part of a developer team of a new addon.


I'd like to inform you that yesterday we published the first version of Nao, NVDA Advanced OCR.

I paste the little readme file and at last I put the link for download.

Feedback and suggestions are welcome!


Nao is an addon that improves the standard OCR capabilities that NVDA provides on modern Windows versions. While NVDA standard command uses Windows OCR to recognize the screen, NAO is able to make the OCR on files saved on your hard drive or USB devices. Use NVDA-Shift-R to recognize any sorts of images and pdf! Simply put the focus / cursor on the file you desire, don't open it, but hit NVDA-Shift-r. The document will be recognized and a simple text editfield will appear, allowing you to read the entire content. Nao is able to handle also multipage pdf, so if you have a not accessible document, don't worry, Windows OCR will be able to make yhr entire work.


System Requirements
The addon works on Windows 10 and Windows 11 systems, since they have OCR capabilities builtin. Nao is compatible from NVDA version 2021.2, so don't use older versions of the screen reader. Note that Nao works with Windows Explorer, on desktop, or with Total Commander filemanager; don't use other software like 7zip or Winrar , since they are not supported.

Features and commands
• NVDA + Shift + R: recognize any sorts of images and pdf from file system; ◦ PgUp / PgDown: move the cursor between real pages of a multipages document.
◦ NVDA + Shift + P: report page number related to the cursor position, in a multipage document.
• NVDA + Shift + Ctrl + R: take a full screen shot and recognize it.


Github repository:

https://github.com/sharkboyto/nao

Latest version:

https://github.com/sharkboyto/nao/releases/download/v_2021.1.07/nao-2021.1.07.nvda-addon


Re: new addon: NVDA Advanced OCR.

Simone Dal Maso
 

Il 08/12/2021 16:53, Joseph Lee ha scritto:


One feedback item is command conflict. Currently NVDA+Shift+R is assigned to recognize the currently focused file, which conflicts with row header assignment command in Excel.

Hi Joseph!

Don't worry, we will solve this issue, giving users the opportunity to change gestures assignment.

Thank you for your suggestions, we will request to be included in the addon repository quite soon, and so we can make all adjustments.

Have a nice day!

7661 - 7680 of 98119