Date   

Re: Sleep mode question

Gene
 

That has nothing to do with a profile.  When you manually turn on sleep in an application and tab away, you go out of sleep mode. When you return to the application, sleep mode resumes.


Gene

On 1/15/2022 10:40 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
Oh, however what I do is set a profile up specifically for an app, turn on sleep mode and when I alt tab away sleep mode is activated when I alt tab back and deactivated when I alt tab away. I hope that makes sence. So, activate sleep mode in that profile once the app is started and when you alt tab away you will have use of nvda. When you alt tab back to the app nvda will sleep.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Lukasz Golonka via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2022 8:34 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Sleep mode question

On Sat, 15 Jan 2022 07:00:51 -0800
"Brian Vogel" <britechguy@...> wrote:

But, even if it is sleep mode, I think that can still be accomplished with a configuration profile that automatically triggers when a specific application has focus.
No, it cannot. Sleep mode cannot be currently set in a profile.


Re: Sleep mode question

Gene
 

I seem to recall seeing years ago that there is a way to do this that doesn't involve profiles.  Someone may remember it.


Gene

On 1/15/2022 10:34 AM, Lukasz Golonka via groups.io wrote:

On Sat, 15 Jan 2022 07:00:51 -0800
"Brian Vogel" <britechguy@...> wrote:

But, even if it is sleep mode, I think that can still be accomplished with a configuration profile that automatically triggers when a specific application has focus.
No, it cannot. Sleep mode cannot be currently set in a profile.


Re: What’s the laptop keyboard gesture to move the system focus to where the review cursor is positioned

Gene
 

When using the desktop layout, the command is NVDA plus numpad enter.  When the default NVDA key is used, the command is a convenient numpad command, numpad insert+numppad enter.


When using the laptop layout however, the command is NVDA key plus enter on the main keyboard.  I wrote out plus so people would hear it if they have punctuation turned off.


Gene

On 1/15/2022 10:31 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 11:25 AM, Mani Iyer wrote:
You use NVDA + Numpad * Enter.
-
If you're using desktop layout, but not if you're using laptop layout.  And that's for activating the current navigator object.

The mouse commands are used for routing system focus to the review cursor or vice versa.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

The instinctive need to be the member of a closely-knit group fighting for common ideals may grow so strong that it becomes inessential what these ideals are.

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)

 


Microsoft Edge Suddenly Less Accessible with NVDA

Rich DeSteno
 

I have been using the current version of NVDA with the current version of Microsoft Edge on both Windows 10 and 11 with great success until recently.  Within the last few days, NVDA will no longer read the search term that I type in the search edit field. Also, when I press the Space Bar on a compressed listing of what other people ask, the contents open in a new window, so I must alt-tab to the other window to read the contents.  I assume these changes are either related to changes in Edge or NVDA.  Is anyone else aware of this or whether these problems will be corrected, or should I just give up and switch to Google Chrome?


--
Rich De Steno


Re: Sleep mode question

 

Hi. That's a different way of doing it. I usually use sleep mode without a profile, and I'm not sure setting up a profile is necessary, unless the profile helps NVDA remember to turn sleep mode on for that app even after NVDA has been restarted. I think that's one of the points of profiles, to save these settings and trigger them at specific times even if NVDA has been restarted since the profile was created. Since I didn't think configuration profiles worked like that with sleep mode, I've been using it without one, and it still turns on when I'm in that app and off when I Alt+Tab away. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that's how sleep mode is supposed to work, without the use of a configuration profile for the app. Does the profile help sleep mode work better or differently in some way I'm not understanding? Thanks.


On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 10:40 AM Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:
Oh, however what I do is set a profile up specifically for an app, turn on sleep mode and when I alt tab away sleep mode is activated when I alt tab back and deactivated when I alt tab away. I hope that makes sence. So, activate sleep mode in that profile once the app is started and when you alt tab away you will have use of nvda. When you alt tab back to the app nvda will sleep.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Lukasz Golonka via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2022 8:34 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Sleep mode question

On Sat, 15 Jan 2022 07:00:51 -0800
"Brian Vogel" <britechguy@...> wrote:

> But, even if it is sleep mode, I think that can still be accomplished with a configuration profile that automatically triggers when a specific application has focus.

No, it cannot. Sleep mode cannot be currently set in a profile.
--
Regards
Lukasz












Re: Sleep mode question

Niranjan Vala
 

Hello, As far as I know, You cannot configure NVDA's sleep mode in NVDA's configuration profile. If He want to do that kind of thing, I think right now this is not supported by the NVDA.


On Sat, 15 Jan 2022 at 22:10, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:
Oh, however what I do is set a profile up specifically for an app, turn on sleep mode and when I alt tab away sleep mode is activated when I alt tab back and deactivated when I alt tab away. I hope that makes sence. So, activate sleep mode in that profile once the app is started and when you alt tab away you will have use of nvda. When you alt tab back to the app nvda will sleep.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Lukasz Golonka via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2022 8:34 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Sleep mode question

On Sat, 15 Jan 2022 07:00:51 -0800
"Brian Vogel" <britechguy@...> wrote:

> But, even if it is sleep mode, I think that can still be accomplished with a configuration profile that automatically triggers when a specific application has focus.

No, it cannot. Sleep mode cannot be currently set in a profile.
--
Regards
Lukasz













--
Cheers,

Niranjan G Vala


Re: Sleep mode question

Sarah k Alawami
 

Oh, however what I do is set a profile up specifically for an app, turn on sleep mode and when I alt tab away sleep mode is activated when I alt tab back and deactivated when I alt tab away. I hope that makes sence. So, activate sleep mode in that profile once the app is started and when you alt tab away you will have use of nvda. When you alt tab back to the app nvda will sleep.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Lukasz Golonka via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2022 8:34 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Sleep mode question

On Sat, 15 Jan 2022 07:00:51 -0800
"Brian Vogel" <britechguy@...> wrote:

But, even if it is sleep mode, I think that can still be accomplished with a configuration profile that automatically triggers when a specific application has focus.
No, it cannot. Sleep mode cannot be currently set in a profile.
--
Regards
Lukasz


Re: Sleep mode question

 

On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 11:24 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
Not sure about speech off and on though. I personally would not in a profile as I might forget.
-
What earthly difference would it make?  

You could potentially forget anything that you put in a configuration profile, and speech off in an automatically triggered profile for a self-voiced application may be precisely what is wanted.  Or it could be sleep mode is what is wanted.

But the initial effect of "no NVDA speech" in that application is the same no matter which is used.  The difference being how keystrokes are handled and whether NVDA ever even tries to process any.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

The instinctive need to be the member of a closely-knit group fighting for common ideals may grow so strong that it becomes inessential what these ideals are.

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)

 


Re: Sleep mode question

Lukasz Golonka
 

On Sat, 15 Jan 2022 07:00:51 -0800
"Brian Vogel" <britechguy@...> wrote:

But, even if it is sleep mode, I think that can still be accomplished with a configuration profile that automatically triggers when a specific application has focus.
No, it cannot. Sleep mode cannot be currently set in a profile.
--
Regards
Lukasz


Re: What’s the laptop keyboard gesture to move the system focus to where the review cursor is positioned

 

On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 11:25 AM, Mani Iyer wrote:
You use NVDA + Numpad * Enter.
-
If you're using desktop layout, but not if you're using laptop layout.  And that's for activating the current navigator object.

The mouse commands are used for routing system focus to the review cursor or vice versa.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

The instinctive need to be the member of a closely-knit group fighting for common ideals may grow so strong that it becomes inessential what these ideals are.

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)

 


Re: NVDA 2021.3.1 cursor doesn't move in Google product edit fields

Sarah k Alawami
 

I have sort of experienced this in some electron apps such as discord but it happens so rarely I can’t really say, ok, brake now. I do hope this problem is fixed though and someone can figure out the magic sauce.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Russell James
Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2022 8:14 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA 2021.3.1 cursor doesn't move in Google product edit fields

 

I have observed at least similar results using Firefox and GMail compose/edit boxes.

 

I cannot be sure but I think this is the same symptoms/problem...

 

To clarify, I don't think the cursor is not moving, it is just not speaking when it is moved.

 

This is happening more often with recent versions of NVDA.

 

Unfortunately, I do not have a set of steps to reproduce the problem.

 

As others have reported, moving away from the edit box and coming back is the only known work around.

 

Until recently, I had only experienced this while using Linked-In message compose/edit boxes.

At that time, probably 2/3 years back, I thought it was LI specific and reported the problem to LI.

 

Russ

 

 

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 5:36 PM Nate Kile <theblindprogrammercorner@...> wrote:

I have also noticed this. It definitely impacts workflow.

 

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 1:17 PM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

I haven’t tested with the browsers you have named but the Brave browser, another Chrome-based browser, displays this behavior in the Google search edit field.  I haven’t tried other edit fields. 

 

Firefox doesn’t display this behavior. 

 

Gene

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Friday, January 14, 2022 3:56 PM

Subject: [nvda] NVDA 2021.3.1 cursor doesn't move in Google product edit fields

 

Hi.  When I type into Google product edit fields like the search fields in Youtube or Google search, I can't move the cursor around the text using the ARROW KEYS unless I TAB out of and back into the edit field.  I tried both Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome with the same result, but they are both chromium-based browsers.  I only have those browsers installed on my computer, and they are both up-to-date.  This doesn't happen in other edit fields like the Windows search box.  I'm using Windows 10 Pro Version 21H2 (OS Build 19044.1466), NVDA 2021.3.1, Microsoft Edge Version 97.0.1072.62 (Official build) (64-bit), and Google Chrome Version 97.0.4692.71 (Official Build) (64-bit).  Has anyone else come across this?

Louise


Re: What’s the laptop keyboard gesture to move the system focus to where the review cursor is positioned

Mani Iyer
 

You use NVDA + Numpad * Enter.  

Thanks,
Mani


On Jan 15, 2022, at 5:53 AM, Khalid Anwar <anwarkhalid850@...> wrote:

Hi there, I’ve been looking for the answer everywhere but I just can’t seem to find it.
Is there a keyboard shortcut to move the system focus to where the review cursor is currently positioned?
also, how do you interact with information that is inside an object, I know that you can use the review cursor commands but what if there is a link or a button that you can only get to through object navigation, how can you click it?


Re: Sleep mode question

Sarah k Alawami
 

It can. Not sure about speech off and on though. I personally would not in a profile as I might forget. Good luck.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2022 7:01 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Sleep mode question

 

On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 06:55 AM, Chris Mullins wrote:

There is a difference between Speech mode and Sleep Mode. 

-
Indeed.  My guess, just based upon the back and forth, is that it's speech mode off that's being sought.

But, even if it is sleep mode, I think that can still be accomplished with a configuration profile that automatically triggers when a specific application has focus.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

The instinctive need to be the member of a closely-knit group fighting for common ideals may grow so strong that it becomes inessential what these ideals are.

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)

 


Re: NVDA, & Orbit Question!

Sarah k Alawami
 

Your best bet would probably to post on the orbit reader list. I did post a
link here on the list so search the archives for more information and email
addresses. You will get a lot of helpful info including a guy who posted a
central repo of documentation etc.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Thomas E
Williamson, Senior
Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2022 2:45 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA, & Orbit Question!

Hello,
How do I turn off the cursor In the Orbit Braille Reader 20?
So that it will stop making the sound every second.
I am using NVDA latest version.
Thanks!
Regards,
Thomas.


Re: NVDA 2021.3.1 cursor doesn't move in Google product edit fields

Russell James
 

I have observed at least similar results using Firefox and GMail compose/edit boxes.

I cannot be sure but I think this is the same symptoms/problem...

To clarify, I don't think the cursor is not moving, it is just not speaking when it is moved.

This is happening more often with recent versions of NVDA.

Unfortunately, I do not have a set of steps to reproduce the problem.

As others have reported, moving away from the edit box and coming back is the only known work around.

Until recently, I had only experienced this while using Linked-In message compose/edit boxes.
At that time, probably 2/3 years back, I thought it was LI specific and reported the problem to LI.

Russ


On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 5:36 PM Nate Kile <theblindprogrammercorner@...> wrote:
I have also noticed this. It definitely impacts workflow.

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 1:17 PM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
I haven’t tested with the browsers you have named but the Brave browser, another Chrome-based browser, displays this behavior in the Google search edit field.  I haven’t tried other edit fields. 
 
Firefox doesn’t display this behavior. 
 
Gene
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2022 3:56 PM
Subject: [nvda] NVDA 2021.3.1 cursor doesn't move in Google product edit fields
 
Hi.  When I type into Google product edit fields like the search fields in Youtube or Google search, I can't move the cursor around the text using the ARROW KEYS unless I TAB out of and back into the edit field.  I tried both Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome with the same result, but they are both chromium-based browsers.  I only have those browsers installed on my computer, and they are both up-to-date.  This doesn't happen in other edit fields like the Windows search box.  I'm using Windows 10 Pro Version 21H2 (OS Build 19044.1466), NVDA 2021.3.1, Microsoft Edge Version 97.0.1072.62 (Official build) (64-bit), and Google Chrome Version 97.0.4692.71 (Official Build) (64-bit).  Has anyone else come across this?

Louise


Re: What’s the laptop keyboard gesture to move the system focus to where the review cursor is positioned

 

Khalid,

Unless I'm not reading what you're asking as you mean it, all of this is covered in the Commands Quick Reference:  1.        NVDA + N, H, Q  [NVDA Menu, Help, Commands Quick Reference]

In the Navigating with the Mouse section the commands for both Move mouse to current navigator object, and its converse, Navigate to the object under the mouse, both have their desktop/laptop/touch gesture documented.   System focus follows the mouse for the instances I believe you're trying to describe.  The description for the "move mouse" command is, "Moves the mouse to the location of the current navigator object and review cursor."

In the Object Navigation section, Activate current navigator object, with it's desktop/laptop/touch gestures, is listed and described as, "
Activates the current navigator object (similar to clicking with the mouse or pressing space when it has the system focus)."

 

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

The instinctive need to be the member of a closely-knit group fighting for common ideals may grow so strong that it becomes inessential what these ideals are.

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)

 


Re: Sleep mode question

 

On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 06:55 AM, Chris Mullins wrote:
There is a difference between Speech mode and Sleep Mode. 
-
Indeed.  My guess, just based upon the back and forth, is that it's speech mode off that's being sought.

But, even if it is sleep mode, I think that can still be accomplished with a configuration profile that automatically triggers when a specific application has focus.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

The instinctive need to be the member of a closely-knit group fighting for common ideals may grow so strong that it becomes inessential what these ideals are.

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)

 


Re: Sleep mode question

Chris Mullins
 

Hi

There is a difference between Speech mode and Sleep Mode.  Speech mode determines whether NVDA speaks or not, Sleep mode disables all NVDA commands and speech/braille output for the current application.  Sleep mode is enabled/disabled using NVDA+shift+s in desktop layout NVDA+shift+z in laptop layout.

 

Cheers

Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows

 

From: Gtt North Bay
Sent: 15 January 2022 03:04
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Sleep mode question

 

You can use NVDA+S and cycle through speech mode off or beep and same command to resume speech.

 

Thanks,

Brian B.

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Norton
Sent: January 14, 2022 9:00 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Sleep mode question

 

Hi listers:

 

I have a particular application I would like to launch and have NVDA go into sleep mode as long as I am in the application.

 

Someone on this list gave me a way to do that, but, I neglected to save the message.

 

Any suggestions?

 

Thanks!

 


What’s the laptop keyboard gesture to move the system focus to where the review cursor is positioned

Khalid Anwar
 

Hi there, I’ve been looking for the answer everywhere but I just can’t seem to find it.
Is there a keyboard shortcut to move the system focus to where the review cursor is currently positioned?
also, how do you interact with information that is inside an object, I know that you can use the review cursor commands but what if there is a link or a button that you can only get to through object navigation, how can you click it?


NVDA, & Orbit Question!

Thomas E Williamson, Senior
 

Hello,
How do I turn off the cursor In the Orbit Braille Reader 20?
So that it will stop making the sound every second.
I am using NVDA latest version.
Thanks!
Regards,
Thomas.

9381 - 9400 of 100970