Date   

Re: NVDA announcing Capital letters

Marilyn and Don Bilderback
 

Hello, I have the beep option checked but I get no sound when I type.  I can’t seem to set the voice so that there is enough change in tone when caps are typed.  What am I missing?

Marilynn

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Fawaz Abdul rahman
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2022 6:54 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA announcing Capital letters

 

Hi,

if you mean while typing, then yes.

in the voice settings, you can find:

Say cap before capitals  check box  not checked  Alt+c

you can check it or use the beep option which is right after the cap option.

good luck.

 

On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 4:47 PM Don H <lmddh50@...> wrote:

Is there a setting in NVDA that causes the word capital to be spoken on
capital letters?





Navigating blackboard with NVDA

Kenny Cheung
 

Hi,
I’m going to be using blackboard for school, and I was wondering if theirs an updated tutorial on how to use it with NVDA? The one the disability office gave me is a bit old.

Sent from Kenny’s iPhone


Re: NVDA announcing Capital letters

Gene
 

I don't think that is true if you use Eloquence as provided by the add-on, at least when I tried the demo, I didn't have that problem.  I don't like the other synthesizer, I don't recall its name, and I hardly played with it.  I hope others will discuss whether I am correct because some who want to use eloquence as an add-on might be worried about that.


Gene

On 1/18/2022 9:53 AM, Steve Nutt wrote:
Hi,

This is a function, or problem with, certain synthesisers.

For example, if you use CodeFactory's NVDA Vocalizer add-on, and turn off all the capital options, it will still say Capital, because NVDA doesn't intercept the interpretation of the add-on itself.

JAWS has a feature called Controlled By Synthesiser, which you can switch off. If you do, JAWS does all the processing. Maybe NVDA needs something like this. Controlled By Synthesiser can be seen in punctuation settings I believe.

All the best

Steve

--
To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW
T: +44(0)1438-742286
M: +44(0)7956-334938
F: +44(0)1438-759589
E: steve@...
W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don H
Sent: 18 January 2022 15:28
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA announcing Capital letters

I have both beep and say cap unchecked under speech settings and NVDA still says capital before a capital letter and when typing a capital letter.

On 1/18/2022 7:53 AM, Fawaz Abdul rahman wrote:
Hi,
if you mean while typing, then yes.
in the voice settings, you can find:
Say cap before capitals check box not checked Alt+c you can check
it or use the beep option which is right after the cap option.
good luck.

On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 4:47 PM Don H <lmddh50@...
<mailto:lmddh50@...>> wrote:

Is there a setting in NVDA that causes the word capital to be spoken on
capital letters?














Re: NVDA announcing Capital letters

Steve Nutt
 

Hi,

This is a function, or problem with, certain synthesisers.

For example, if you use CodeFactory's NVDA Vocalizer add-on, and turn off all the capital options, it will still say Capital, because NVDA doesn't intercept the interpretation of the add-on itself.

JAWS has a feature called Controlled By Synthesiser, which you can switch off. If you do, JAWS does all the processing. Maybe NVDA needs something like this. Controlled By Synthesiser can be seen in punctuation settings I believe.

All the best

Steve

--
To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW
T: +44(0)1438-742286
M: +44(0)7956-334938
F: +44(0)1438-759589
E: steve@...
W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don H
Sent: 18 January 2022 15:28
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA announcing Capital letters

I have both beep and say cap unchecked under speech settings and NVDA still says capital before a capital letter and when typing a capital letter.

On 1/18/2022 7:53 AM, Fawaz Abdul rahman wrote:
Hi,
if you mean while typing, then yes.
in the voice settings, you can find:
Say cap before capitals check box not checked Alt+c you can check
it or use the beep option which is right after the cap option.
good luck.

On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 4:47 PM Don H <lmddh50@...
<mailto:lmddh50@...>> wrote:

Is there a setting in NVDA that causes the word capital to be spoken on
capital letters?






Re: NVDA not reading all message content from Microsoft Teams notification mails in Outlook

Sarah k Alawami
 

I also notice this as well. Sorry, I also cannot provide any examples due to the nature of what I’m doing. Is there any other way we can read the messages besides launching teams and finding the messages in question?

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sylvie Duchateau
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2022 6:34 AM
To: Nvda List <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: [nvda] NVDA not reading all message content from Microsoft Teams notification mails in Outlook

 

Hello all,

I now use Microsoft Teams every day with my colleagues to communicate and when Teams is not open, I receive e-mails notifications that someone has published a new post in Teams.

The mails have the subject lines : “you have new messages in Microsoft Teams”.

IN the message text, you can read who published messages, there is a link to the post and an extract of what they say.

I can read what they say with another well-known screen reader in Outlook, the mail application on my phone, but with NVDA, I only can read many empty lines, strange signs, but not the piece of message that has been published by my colleagues.

I tried to enable tables announcement by NVDA, as well as graphics announcements, but it is impossible to read the information.

Does anyone know how I can have NVDA read the whole mail?

Unfortunately, I could only test with Outlook, I don’t know if there is the same problem with Thunderbird.

Thank you for any hints.

Best

Sylvie


Re: NVDA announcing Capital letters

Don H
 

I have both beep and say cap unchecked under speech settings and NVDA
still says capital before a capital letter and when typing a capital letter.

On 1/18/2022 7:53 AM, Fawaz Abdul rahman wrote:
Hi,
if you mean while typing, then yes.
in the voice settings, you can find:
Say cap before capitals  check box  not checked  Alt+c
you can check it or use the beep option which is right after the cap option.
good luck.

On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 4:47 PM Don H <lmddh50@...
<mailto:lmddh50@...>> wrote:

Is there a setting in NVDA that causes the word capital to be spoken on
capital letters?






NVDA not reading all message content from Microsoft Teams notification mails in Outlook

Sylvie Duchateau
 

Hello all,

I now use Microsoft Teams every day with my colleagues to communicate and when Teams is not open, I receive e-mails notifications that someone has published a new post in Teams.

The mails have the subject lines : “you have new messages in Microsoft Teams”.

IN the message text, you can read who published messages, there is a link to the post and an extract of what they say.

I can read what they say with another well-known screen reader in Outlook, the mail application on my phone, but with NVDA, I only can read many empty lines, strange signs, but not the piece of message that has been published by my colleagues.

I tried to enable tables announcement by NVDA, as well as graphics announcements, but it is impossible to read the information.

Does anyone know how I can have NVDA read the whole mail?

Unfortunately, I could only test with Outlook, I don’t know if there is the same problem with Thunderbird.

Thank you for any hints.

Best

Sylvie


Re: NVDA announcing Capital letters

Chris Mullins
 

Hi

In the voice settings NVDA+Ctrl+v, there is a setting for capitals which can be set to a pitch change, beep or announcement of “Cap” when capitals are encountered.

 

Cheers

Chris

 

Sent from Mail for Windows

 

From: Don H
Sent: 18 January 2022 13:47
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA announcing Capital letters

 

Is there a setting in NVDA that causes the word capital to be spoken on

capital letters?

 

 

 

 

 


Re: NVDA announcing Capital letters

Gene
 

It isn't limited to typing.  If you move by letter through a document, you will hear cap spoken when you are on a capital letter.  The beep option works the same way.  All options, raise pitch, beep, and say cap, all change what is done when both typing and moving by character.


Gene

On 1/18/2022 7:53 AM, Fawaz Abdul rahman wrote:
Hi,
if you mean while typing, then yes.
in the voice settings, you can find:
Say cap before capitals  check box  not checked  Alt+c
you can check it or use the beep option which is right after the cap option.
good luck.

On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 4:47 PM Don H <lmddh50@...> wrote:
Is there a setting in NVDA that causes the word capital to be spoken on
capital letters?






Re: NVDA announcing Capital letters

Fawaz Abdul rahman
 

Hi,
if you mean while typing, then yes.
in the voice settings, you can find:
Say cap before capitals  check box  not checked  Alt+c
you can check it or use the beep option which is right after the cap option.
good luck.


On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 4:47 PM Don H <lmddh50@...> wrote:
Is there a setting in NVDA that causes the word capital to be spoken on
capital letters?






NVDA announcing Capital letters

Don H
 

Is there a setting in NVDA that causes the word capital to be spoken on capital letters?


Re: NVDA add-on CloudVision

alexey
 

I have made a new version of  the CloudVision  add-on
v3.0.0.1 Latest
Added recognition of files that are selected in Windows Explorer.
The idea is copied from the "Nao (NVDA Advanced OCR)" addon.
Press NVDA+CTRL+I in Explorer on the selected file without opening this file.
Try.
The original image will be sent for recognition.
https://github.com/alekssamos/cloudvision/releases/download/v3.0.0.1/CloudVision-3.0.0.1.nvda-addon


Re: a big thank you to the programmers

Steve Nutt
 

Yes, so does Narrator.

 

All the best


Steve

 

--

To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

 

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: 15 January 2022 23:56
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] a big thank you to the programmers

 

Doesn't JAWS do this as well?  NVDA and JAWS both have had shortcuts for links (whether visited or unvisited), visited link, and unvisited link, in their keyboard shortcuts for as long as I can remember.  I also thought both announced, when you landed on a link, it's previous visitation status.

I'm just curious if any JAWS and NVDA users, and I know we've got those, can either confirm or refute my memory.  I just realized a couple of days ago that it has been almost 4 years since I last had a client where I was tutoring JAWS.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

The instinctive need to be the member of a closely-knit group fighting for common ideals may grow so strong that it becomes inessential what these ideals are.

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)

 


Re: backing up NVDA settings

Gene
 

Also, you are discussing something entirely different than I was discussing.  I am not discussing a user following instructions from a tech that may be repairing something and that the person may not understand all of or remember them all.  I am saying that if a user changes the voice, turns off reporting of links because he/she is reading an article so full of links that it is distracting to read it, changes the punctuation level, or a lot of other settings, that whether the user remembers all the changes or not, it should be up to the user to decide what to do.  The situation you are discussing is completely outside of the purpose of my proposal.


Gene

On 1/18/2022 12:22 AM, Gene via groups.io wrote:

There may be times when someone makes various changes and doesn't remember what they all are because there are a lot of them or the person just doesn't recall.  In that case, the person can decide, when the prompt is displayed if he/she wants to save the settings or not. 


What you say is true.  But my proposal leaves that decision to the user.  it isn't made automatically.  Settings won't be automatically saved, wanted or not because a computer spontaneously reboots, the user forgets that he has made changes and closes NVDA for some reason, or the person reboots or shuts down Windows which results in NVDA being shut down.  The point of my proposal is to change only one thing, to ;prompt the user so the user decides. 


\Gene

On 1/17/2022 11:51 PM, mike mcglashon wrote:

Quoted:

I believe I addressed your questions in my previous message. 

I sent it before I saw yours. 

I wouldn't inform the user of anything about what or where changes have been made. 

I would display the same dialog any time any settings have  been changed. 

[Its up to the user to remember what changes were made and determine if he/she wants to save them.] 

End quote:

 

To whom this may concern:

I do not think this is fair to assume on the behest of the “average computer user” (sighted or blind);

Many people hit buttons, checkboxes, edit boxes, etc in hopes of getting their computer to work the way “it used too”;.

The statement above expects the patient to remember what he told the doctor on his previous visit to verify his symptoms are legit;

Many of us, (including me… guilty…);,

Often hit buttons and other controls to attempt to get the computer we wanted to do something like before;

I do appreciate any technician to walk me through a process to get us where we wish to be;

And,

I appreciate the fact that they expect that I would not remember such settings to get us back or to where we need to be;

Hence, a techie can get a person such as I back on the forest trail and continue with the hike;

 

 

Please advise as you like.

 

Mike M.

 

Mike mcglashon

Email: Michael.mcglashon@...

Ph: 618 783 9331

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2022 4:52 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] backing up NVDA settings

 

I believe I addressed your questions in my previous message.  I sent it before I saw yours.  I wouldn't inform the user of anything about what or where changes have been made.  I would display the same dialog any time any settings have  been changed.  Its up to the user to remember what changes were made and determine if he/she wants to save them. 

 

If you are saying there are technical problems with the program knowing when to display the dialog, that's a question I don't have the knowledge to address.

 

Gene

On 1/17/2022 3:28 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

Saving configuration is done in five steps:

  1. NVDA will see if it should save settings when exiting.
  2. If told to save settings, NVDA will first notify add-ons and other components that settings are about to be saved. This allows add-ons and other components to perform actions such as evaluating their own settings.
  3. Normal configuration is saved. This is mandatory.
  4. Modified configuration profiles are saved, if any.
  5. NVDA informs add-ons and other components that NVDA settings were saved. Add-ons will then perform actions such as saving their own settings.

A potential confusion can arise if NVDA is told to show config save prompt and:

  1. Multiple profiles other than normal configuration were edited.
  2. At least one of the modified profiles have multiple settings not saved yet.

Adding to the confusion is that:

  1. Internally, settings are stored as Python dictionaries, and settings (keys) are defined with text that are not easily translated for users. For example, show exit options is internally known as "askToExit", but in general settings it is labeled "Show exit options when exiting NVDA". Not all options are like this - in object presentation settings, "report notifications" is internally called "reportHelpBalloons". This is why the wording between nvda.ini is not the same as the ones shown in Settings screen.
  2. A setting may rely on more than one underlying configuration representation. For example, report indentation setting from document formatting panel relies on two flags: the actual line indentation reporting flag, and a flag indicating indentation announcement with tones. A bitwise operation is used to configure these flags for a total of four options: indentation off, indentation speech, indentation tone, indentation speech and tone.

Imagine a user is told about profile name and the exact setting that's different, and suppose the internal option names are used. Moreover, imagine the primary language of this user is not English. I hope you understand what I'm talking about.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Joseph


Re: backing up NVDA settings

Gene
 

There may be times when someone makes various changes and doesn't remember what they all are because there are a lot of them or the person just doesn't recall.  In that case, the person can decide, when the prompt is displayed if he/she wants to save the settings or not. 


What you say is true.  But my proposal leaves that decision to the user.  it isn't made automatically.  Settings won't be automatically saved, wanted or not because a computer spontaneously reboots, the user forgets that he has made changes and closes NVDA for some reason, or the person reboots or shuts down Windows which results in NVDA being shut down.  The point of my proposal is to change only one thing, to ;prompt the user so the user decides. 


\Gene

On 1/17/2022 11:51 PM, mike mcglashon wrote:

Quoted:

I believe I addressed your questions in my previous message. 

I sent it before I saw yours. 

I wouldn't inform the user of anything about what or where changes have been made. 

I would display the same dialog any time any settings have  been changed. 

[Its up to the user to remember what changes were made and determine if he/she wants to save them.] 

End quote:

 

To whom this may concern:

I do not think this is fair to assume on the behest of the “average computer user” (sighted or blind);

Many people hit buttons, checkboxes, edit boxes, etc in hopes of getting their computer to work the way “it used too”;.

The statement above expects the patient to remember what he told the doctor on his previous visit to verify his symptoms are legit;

Many of us, (including me… guilty…);,

Often hit buttons and other controls to attempt to get the computer we wanted to do something like before;

I do appreciate any technician to walk me through a process to get us where we wish to be;

And,

I appreciate the fact that they expect that I would not remember such settings to get us back or to where we need to be;

Hence, a techie can get a person such as I back on the forest trail and continue with the hike;

 

 

Please advise as you like.

 

Mike M.

 

Mike mcglashon

Email: Michael.mcglashon@...

Ph: 618 783 9331

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2022 4:52 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] backing up NVDA settings

 

I believe I addressed your questions in my previous message.  I sent it before I saw yours.  I wouldn't inform the user of anything about what or where changes have been made.  I would display the same dialog any time any settings have  been changed.  Its up to the user to remember what changes were made and determine if he/she wants to save them. 

 

If you are saying there are technical problems with the program knowing when to display the dialog, that's a question I don't have the knowledge to address.

 

Gene

On 1/17/2022 3:28 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

Saving configuration is done in five steps:

  1. NVDA will see if it should save settings when exiting.
  2. If told to save settings, NVDA will first notify add-ons and other components that settings are about to be saved. This allows add-ons and other components to perform actions such as evaluating their own settings.
  3. Normal configuration is saved. This is mandatory.
  4. Modified configuration profiles are saved, if any.
  5. NVDA informs add-ons and other components that NVDA settings were saved. Add-ons will then perform actions such as saving their own settings.

A potential confusion can arise if NVDA is told to show config save prompt and:

  1. Multiple profiles other than normal configuration were edited.
  2. At least one of the modified profiles have multiple settings not saved yet.

Adding to the confusion is that:

  1. Internally, settings are stored as Python dictionaries, and settings (keys) are defined with text that are not easily translated for users. For example, show exit options is internally known as "askToExit", but in general settings it is labeled "Show exit options when exiting NVDA". Not all options are like this - in object presentation settings, "report notifications" is internally called "reportHelpBalloons". This is why the wording between nvda.ini is not the same as the ones shown in Settings screen.
  2. A setting may rely on more than one underlying configuration representation. For example, report indentation setting from document formatting panel relies on two flags: the actual line indentation reporting flag, and a flag indicating indentation announcement with tones. A bitwise operation is used to configure these flags for a total of four options: indentation off, indentation speech, indentation tone, indentation speech and tone.

Imagine a user is told about profile name and the exact setting that's different, and suppose the internal option names are used. Moreover, imagine the primary language of this user is not English. I hope you understand what I'm talking about.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Joseph


Re: backing up NVDA settings

mike mcglashon
 

Quoted:

I believe I addressed your questions in my previous message. 

I sent it before I saw yours. 

I wouldn't inform the user of anything about what or where changes have been made. 

I would display the same dialog any time any settings have  been changed. 

[Its up to the user to remember what changes were made and determine if he/she wants to save them.] 

End quote:

 

To whom this may concern:

I do not think this is fair to assume on the behest of the “average computer user” (sighted or blind);

Many people hit buttons, checkboxes, edit boxes, etc in hopes of getting their computer to work the way “it used too”;.

The statement above expects the patient to remember what he told the doctor on his previous visit to verify his symptoms are legit;

Many of us, (including me… guilty…);,

Often hit buttons and other controls to attempt to get the computer we wanted to do something like before;

I do appreciate any technician to walk me through a process to get us where we wish to be;

And,

I appreciate the fact that they expect that I would not remember such settings to get us back or to where we need to be;

Hence, a techie can get a person such as I back on the forest trail and continue with the hike;

 

 

Please advise as you like.

 

Mike M.

 

Mike mcglashon

Email: Michael.mcglashon@...

Ph: 618 783 9331

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2022 4:52 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] backing up NVDA settings

 

I believe I addressed your questions in my previous message.  I sent it before I saw yours.  I wouldn't inform the user of anything about what or where changes have been made.  I would display the same dialog any time any settings have  been changed.  Its up to the user to remember what changes were made and determine if he/she wants to save them. 

 

If you are saying there are technical problems with the program knowing when to display the dialog, that's a question I don't have the knowledge to address.

 

Gene

On 1/17/2022 3:28 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

Saving configuration is done in five steps:

  1. NVDA will see if it should save settings when exiting.
  2. If told to save settings, NVDA will first notify add-ons and other components that settings are about to be saved. This allows add-ons and other components to perform actions such as evaluating their own settings.
  3. Normal configuration is saved. This is mandatory.
  4. Modified configuration profiles are saved, if any.
  5. NVDA informs add-ons and other components that NVDA settings were saved. Add-ons will then perform actions such as saving their own settings.

A potential confusion can arise if NVDA is told to show config save prompt and:

  1. Multiple profiles other than normal configuration were edited.
  2. At least one of the modified profiles have multiple settings not saved yet.

Adding to the confusion is that:

  1. Internally, settings are stored as Python dictionaries, and settings (keys) are defined with text that are not easily translated for users. For example, show exit options is internally known as "askToExit", but in general settings it is labeled "Show exit options when exiting NVDA". Not all options are like this - in object presentation settings, "report notifications" is internally called "reportHelpBalloons". This is why the wording between nvda.ini is not the same as the ones shown in Settings screen.
  2. A setting may rely on more than one underlying configuration representation. For example, report indentation setting from document formatting panel relies on two flags: the actual line indentation reporting flag, and a flag indicating indentation announcement with tones. A bitwise operation is used to configure these flags for a total of four options: indentation off, indentation speech, indentation tone, indentation speech and tone.

Imagine a user is told about profile name and the exact setting that's different, and suppose the internal option names are used. Moreover, imagine the primary language of this user is not English. I hope you understand what I'm talking about.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Joseph


Re: Ms Russian Voices and NVDA

Mary Otten
 

I was going to try the one core voices, but not if somebody else has already tried and found them wanting when it comes to not badly mangling text in the Latin alphabet. Ivona voices are not updatable, so far as I am aware. I was just asking if anybody had actual experience before going through the process of finding out how to d/l etc and then doing it and possibly having to uninstall if they bomb out. I was not therilled with code factory English, and am not aware of what they have in Russian and don't want to pay for it unless I can try it first to see how it goes.

On 1/17/2022 5:32 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Ivona voices are not sold anymore to indeviduals which is a pitty same with acapella unless you buy the nvda versions.

However if your russion voice is really shitting itself that bad then maybe it needs updating or you should use a more updated one.

Its dictionaries may be incomplete or bugged.

So code factory voices have russian as a language.

But have you tried to install the onecore voices which will have slavic and russion languages of different types?

You can add more voices from the accessibility in settings in narator and add more voices.



On 18/01/2022 1:43 pm, Mary Otten wrote:
This might be on the border of inappropriate, but here goes:


I have a Russian voice that I purchased some time ago from a 3rd party vendor, and it works with NVDA. However, there is one really serious problem with it. If you are on a page with mixed English and Cyrillic, the Russian voice really falls apart. Rather than just reading the English in a Russian accent, which is what happens on an iPhone, for instance, my speech synthesizer from the Ivona company pronounces the English in some way that is really quite impossible to understand. So I'm wondering if there is anybody on here who speaks Russian and has had occasion to download and use either of the MS voices for Windows 10. If these voices act like the one I already have, then there is no point in going there. But if they don't mangle the English because they use pronunciation rules, perhaps because the synth is from Poland, where they use the Latin alphabet and have their own phonetic rules, then I'm going to go through the process of installing the voices and hope for decent results.


Mary









Re: Ms Russian Voices and NVDA

 

Ivona voices are not sold anymore to indeviduals which is a pitty same with acapella unless you buy the nvda versions.

However if your russion voice is really shitting itself that bad then maybe it needs updating or you should use a more updated one.

Its dictionaries may be incomplete or bugged.

So code factory voices have russian as a language.

But have you tried to install the onecore voices which will have slavic and russion languages of different types?

You can add more voices from the accessibility in settings in narator and add more voices.

On 18/01/2022 1:43 pm, Mary Otten wrote:
This might be on the border of inappropriate, but here goes:


I have a Russian voice that I purchased some time ago from a 3rd party vendor, and it works with NVDA. However, there is one really serious problem with it. If you are on a page with mixed English and Cyrillic, the Russian voice really falls apart. Rather than just reading the English in a Russian accent, which is what happens on an iPhone, for instance, my speech synthesizer from the Ivona company pronounces the English in some way that is really quite impossible to understand. So I'm wondering if there is anybody on here who speaks Russian and has had occasion to download and use either of the MS voices for Windows 10. If these voices act like the one I already have, then there is no point in going there. But if they don't mangle the English because they use pronunciation rules, perhaps because the synth is from Poland, where they use the Latin alphabet and have their own phonetic rules, then I'm going to go through the process of installing the voices and hope for decent results.


Mary






Re: Can't uninstall NVDA 2021.2 from Windows 10 21h1

George McCoy
 

Hello Brian,


For my friend, the solution was surprisingly simple.  We ended up renaming c:\program files (X86)\nvda to c:\program files (X86)\old_nvda.

We then renamed all instances of appDada\roaming\nvda to AppData\old_nvda

At that point, we installed from a portable copy of NVDA 2021.3.1 checking the copy user configuration checkbox and everything came round right.

Not the most elligant solution, but it worked.


Thanks, everybody, for your help and great suggestions.


George

On 1/17/2022 11:50 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
George,

           Did this issue ever reach the desired resolution?
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

The instinctive need to be the member of a closely-knit group fighting for common ideals may grow so strong that it becomes inessential what these ideals are.

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)

 


Ms Russian Voices and NVDA

Mary Otten
 

This might be on the border of inappropriate, but here goes:


I have a Russian voice that I purchased some time ago from a 3rd party vendor, and it works with NVDA. However, there is one really serious problem with it. If you are on a page with mixed English and Cyrillic, the Russian voice really falls apart. Rather than just reading the English in a Russian accent, which is what happens on an iPhone, for instance, my speech synthesizer from the Ivona company pronounces the English in some way that is really quite impossible to understand. So I'm wondering if there is anybody on here who speaks Russian and has had occasion to download and use either of the MS voices for Windows 10. If these voices act like the one I already have, then there is no point in going there. But if they don't mangle the English because they use pronunciation rules, perhaps because the synth is from Poland, where they use the Latin alphabet and have their own phonetic rules, then I'm going to go through the process of installing the voices and hope for decent results.


Mary

6521 - 6540 of 98287