Date   

locked Re: Converting a DOCX File to Libre Office using NVDA

 

Also, this topic is now locked, as it has nothing to do with NVDA.  I have said, in the actual group rules, that tacking "with NVDA" on to the end of a question not really about NVDA doesn't make it qualify.  This question was about file conversion options and is screen reader agnostic.

If additional information is needed on file conversion programs, that's a Chat Subgroup topic.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

I neither need nor want to be appeased, but apprised.  Inconvenient truth is preferable to convenient (for the liar) lies.

     ~ Brian Vogel

 


locked Re: Converting a DOCX File to Libre Office using NVDA

 

Libre Office can and does handle DOCX files with ease, both reading them and saving in that format.  If it's not doing so, you either have a problem with the file itself or the installation of LibreOffice is corrupt.

I would uninstall Libre Office, obtain a fresh copy of the latest installer from their own website, and try installing it again.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

I neither need nor want to be appeased, but apprised.  Inconvenient truth is preferable to convenient (for the liar) lies.

     ~ Brian Vogel

 


locked Re: Converting a DOCX File to Libre Office using NVDA

Gene
 

Or you can just use Wordpad.  Wordpad is a simple word processor and it may not have the features you want and need.  But for reading and simple editing, it will suffice.  There is no spell checker.


Gene

On 2/10/2022 8:29 AM, Richard Kuzma via groups.io wrote:
Try using Biplos word processor.
It reads docx files and is completely free and does a ton of other stuff.
If you are interested, I can give you a drop box link to the install.
Ps - it also does ocr if you have a flatbed scanner.
Really nice and totally free.


-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave Grossoehme
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2022 9:18 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Converting a DOCX File to Libre Office using NVDA

Hi: I am trying to read a DOCX File with Libre Office using NVDA. I can not read it, so, I called some sighted help in and it doesn't even let us bring it up in write. It comes up in Draw and is hard for my helper to read. I installed Libre Office from ninite.com. Libre tells me that I don't have the help files, so, was in question of needing to down load it from that site. However, if I do so, using NVDA, am I goinng to be able to read all the optional buttons, so, I don't get extra information.

Dave












locked Re: Converting a DOCX File to Libre Office using NVDA

Richard Kuzma
 

Try using Biplos word processor.
It reads docx files and is completely free and does a ton of other stuff.
If you are interested, I can give you a drop box link to the install.
Ps - it also does ocr if you have a flatbed scanner.
Really nice and totally free.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave Grossoehme
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2022 9:18 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Converting a DOCX File to Libre Office using NVDA

Hi: I am trying to read a DOCX File with Libre Office using NVDA. I can not read it, so, I called some sighted help in and it doesn't even let us bring it up in write. It comes up in Draw and is hard for my helper to read. I installed Libre Office from ninite.com. Libre tells me that I don't have the help files, so, was in question of needing to down load it from that site. However, if I do so, using NVDA, am I goinng to be able to read all the optional buttons, so, I don't get extra information.

Dave


locked Converting a DOCX File to Libre Office using NVDA

Dave Grossoehme
 

Hi:  I am trying to read a DOCX File with Libre Office using NVDA.  I can not read it, so, I called some sighted help in and it doesn't even let us bring it up in write.  It comes up in
Draw and is hard for my helper to read.  I installed Libre Office from ninite.com.  Libre tells me that I don't have the help files, so, was in question of needing to down load it from that site. However, if I do so, using NVDA, am I goinng to be able to read all the optional buttons, so, I don't get extra information.

Dave


Re: Quintin C playroom

Fawaz Abdul rahman
 

Hey,
have you checked the reading and appearance options of the playroom?
F10, reading and appearance, channels, game messages.
and also check with shift+f8 that incoming messages are enabled.
You can post this on the playroom forums rather than this mailing list I think.
good luck.


On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 4:21 AM Robert Doc Wright godfearer <godfearer@...> wrote:
I was working with a gentleman today whose NVDA is acting strangely in the playroom. When he opens a bbackgammon game and rolls the dice the roll is not announced. In monopoly it does not announce the play of the opponent. has anyone else run into this? he is running windows 10 and the latest NVDA.
******
Jesus says, follow me and I'll help you through the rough spots.
the world says, hey come with me. My way is broad and easy. So what if you get crap on your shoes. You can always wash it off, can't you!
 
Family times Theatre
http://stream.wrighthere.net:8000/stream.mp3
Ask your smart speaker to play Family times on tuneIn


Re: Reading Bookshare books with Firefox and NVDA

Aravind R
 

epub formats are read well in accessible mode by bookworm software n
PC.<div id="DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2"><br />
<table style="border-top: 1px solid #D3D4DE;">
<tr>
<td style="width: 55px; padding-top: 13px;"><a
href="https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail"
target="_blank"><img
src="https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-round-orange-animated-no-repeat-v1.gif"
alt="" width="46" height="29" style="width: 46px; height: 29px;"
/></a></td>
<td style="width: 470px; padding-top: 12px; color: #41424e;
font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
line-height: 18px;">Virus-free. <a
href="https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail"
target="_blank" style="color: #4453ea;">www.avast.com</a>
</td>
</tr>
</table><a href="#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2" width="1"
height="1"></a></div>

On 10/02/2022, Sanjog Kumawat <sanjogkumawat@...> wrote:
Hello,

I am Sanjog from Bookshare Membership Support: Asia and Africa.
To solve your problem, I need to know in which format you have downloaded
the book. If you want to talk directly with Bookshare, you can write to me
at sanjogk@....

Here, the problem it seems is not with NVDA. However, I will need to know
more.

With Best Regards,
Sanjog Kumawat
Membership Support [Asia & Africa].
Contact us: +919284028466
Alternate Helpline number: +919650211575
[Mobile, WhatsApp and Google Duo]
Helpline Email ID: membership-india@...




Benetech
480 S. California Ave., Suite 201,
Palo Alto, CA 94306-1609, USA.
Bookshare Helpline - Asia & Africa
Contact us: +919650211575
Alternate Helpline number: +919284028466
[Mobile, WhatsApp and Google Duo]:
Helpline Email ID: membership-india@...
Website: www.bookshare.org





-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mani Iyer via
groups.io
Sent: 10 February 2022 03:04
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Reading Bookshare books with Firefox and NVDA

Hello all,
I open the .xml file in the Bookshare unzipped folder in Firefox and the
entire book loads fine. But I cannot use the NVDA single letter navigation
on the book. I tried switching to document review which I thought was
redundant, but that did not work either. Do I have to download some Firefox
extension to enable this?
On another note, Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge did not even load the
book.
Any thoughts on this issue?

Thanks,

mani











--


--
--
nothing is difficult unless you make it appear so.

r. aravind,

manager
Department of sales
bank of baroda specialised mortgage store, Chennai.
mobile no: +91 9940369593,
email id : aravind_069@..., aravind.andhrabank@....
aravind.rajendran@....


Re: Reading Bookshare books with Firefox and NVDA

Sanjog Kumawat
 

Hello,

I am Sanjog from Bookshare Membership Support: Asia and Africa.
To solve your problem, I need to know in which format you have downloaded
the book. If you want to talk directly with Bookshare, you can write to me
at sanjogk@....

Here, the problem it seems is not with NVDA. However, I will need to know
more.

With Best Regards,
Sanjog Kumawat
Membership Support [Asia & Africa].
Contact us: +919284028466
Alternate Helpline number: +919650211575
[Mobile, WhatsApp and Google Duo]
Helpline Email ID: membership-india@...

              


Benetech
480 S. California Ave., Suite 201,
Palo Alto, CA 94306-1609, USA.
Bookshare Helpline - Asia & Africa
Contact us: +919650211575 
Alternate Helpline number: +919284028466
[Mobile, WhatsApp and Google Duo]:
Helpline Email ID: membership-india@...
Website: www.bookshare.org

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mani Iyer via
groups.io
Sent: 10 February 2022 03:04
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Reading Bookshare books with Firefox and NVDA

Hello all,
I open the .xml file in the Bookshare unzipped folder in Firefox and the
entire book loads fine. But I cannot use the NVDA single letter navigation
on the book. I tried switching to document review which I thought was
redundant, but that did not work either. Do I have to download some Firefox
extension to enable this?
On another note, Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge did not even load the
book.
Any thoughts on this issue?

Thanks,

mani


Quintin C playroom

Robert Doc Wright godfearer
 

I was working with a gentleman today whose NVDA is acting strangely in the playroom. When he opens a bbackgammon game and rolls the dice the roll is not announced. In monopoly it does not announce the play of the opponent. has anyone else run into this? he is running windows 10 and the latest NVDA.
******
Jesus says, follow me and I'll help you through the rough spots.
the world says, hey come with me. My way is broad and easy. So what if you get crap on your shoes. You can always wash it off, can't you!
 
Family times Theatre
http://stream.wrighthere.net:8000/stream.mp3
Ask your smart speaker to play Family times on tuneIn


Re: NVDA 2021.3.1 loses audio in Webex teams meeting

Pranav Lal
 

Hi,

 

Is there a chance that you can use the web version of WebEx? I ask because that is what I did in a meeting yesterday and found it to be quite accessible when using NVDA.

 

Pranav

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Moore
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2022 1:05 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA 2021.3.1 loses audio in Webex teams meeting

 

Hi.  Yes, this used to happen to me to. It is a specific version of Webex which we don't have anymore but until we upgraded, I had to use either jaws or narrator in a webex meeting because that control for moving around a meeting didn't work with NVDA.

 

Cisco only tests with Jaws so they were no help.

Contact me on skype: brian.moore
follow me on twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/bmoore123

On 2022-02-09 1:20 p.m., Abby Apotheker wrote:

Hi folks,

 

I was working with a developer teammate who was trying to show me something using her NVDA screen reader, and when we were in Webex Teams (tried both a call and a personal room meeting), she was not able to get her screen reader to be audible.  I don’t mean that she had problems with the Webex audio features, I mean that even on her side, NVDA 2021.3.1 was not reading aloud.  She could not hear it.  We had to use the speech viewer option.  I am still on NVDA 2020.1 and did not have this problem.  Her screen reader had been working fine before we tried to have a meeting.

 

Does anyone know anything about this?  If yes, is there something she needs to do to make her screen reader audio work when in a Webex meeting?

 

Thanks!

 

Abby Apotheker
Foremost/Farmers Specialty Lines
abigail.nielsen@...
(616) 956-8360

 

2022 Planned Out of Office:

February 26—March 1

April 2—April 10

June 18—June 26

July 29—August 7


Re: FileZilla

lynn white
 

I use it all the time to upload and download shows for my station. It is very easy to use.

On 2/9/2022 5:00 PM, VIAS, ARMANDO wrote:
I have used Filezilla before. It is still accessible.

On Feb 9, 2022, at 5:54 PM, Janet Brandly <jbrandly@...> wrote:

Hi Gene,

Thanks for passing along this information. I'll definitely be digging into
it soon.

Janet

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: February 8, 2022 11:32 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] FileZilla

I did one a long time ago. I don't know if or to what extent FileZilla has
changed. You can see if this tutorial pretty much teaches you the basics of
the program and it may help you have a better idea what you are looking for
or at when you look around.


I originally had a section on uploading which I didn't include here. If
someone wants to see it, let me know. I would have to edit it for various
reasons before sending it.


Gene


this, what I'm calling a tutorial, is actually an edited number of messages
sent to a list years ago. The information may not be organized as in
something written as a tutorial. I may cover something and then add more
information later because I wrote another message on the subject later.

Also, this information is very old, I don't know how the program has changed
since that time.

Message 1.

Regarding installation, it's a standard installation. There is no reason to
change any default settings, as I recall.

Once installed and running, open the menus and in the file menu, open the
site manager. Tab to the new site button and activate it with the space bar.
There will be

various fields where you can enter the appropriate information. The field
you are placed in after pressing the space bar is where you name the site.
this is the name you want to call it such as John's server. type what you
want, and that is all you have to do in this field. Then tab around the
dialog, entering

information where appropriate. Then use the save and exit button to save
the site and close the dialog.

Now open site manager again, down arrow in the tree view to the name you
gave the site. Tab to the connect button and press the space bar. You will
be connected.

There may be a pause. As I recall, you hear nothing telling you are
connected. You will know you are if you see the remote folder I discuss
below.

In future, if you used this site last, just open FileZilla and use the quick
connect command, control r to reconnect to the site. It will reconnect and
go to the

last folder you were in. Once you are connected, you will get to where you
want to be much more quickly if you shift tab through the fields in the main
program

window. If you have problems understanding what you see as you move, let us
know. If you are familiar with list views and tree views, you probably won't
have much problem understanding the structure.


Use the remote list to move through the server and find what you want, just
as you do in File Explorer. To determine where a file will be downloaded,
use the local list to find and open the folder where you want the file to be
downloaded to.


To begin downloading a file, just find it and press enter. If you are going
to download multiple files, Some sites don't want you to conduct multiple
downloads but rather download one file at a time. In other words, if you
select a number of files and press enter, by default, FileZilla makes a
connection for each file and downloads them simultaneously. If you change
the setting, one file will be downloaded, then the next one, etc. You may
want to ask the person providing the server if he/she permits multiple
downloads. I don't know how widespread objections to multiple downloads
are.

To work with the multiple downloads setting, open the menus, find the cue
menu, then find, in that menu an item that says use multiple connections and
press enter to uncheck that option.
You need to do this every time you open the program and want to download
multiple files. You select multiple files as you do in any list. You can
permanently change this setting so you don't have to repeatedly change it by
working with the settings available from an item in the edit menu.
there is an item in the edit menu called settings you can open, then you
will find all sorts of settings you can change.

To see the progress of a download, use screen review, whatever your
screen-reader calls it, in the window. Start at the bottom and move up.
You will see a line with
information about the remaining time, download speed, etc.

Returning to site manager and setting up an account, if you need to enter
information manually, do the following:
Follow the first steps I described above. Open the site manager, tab to the
new site button then press the space bar. Type the name you want to call the
site. So far

everything has been the same. Now, tab and type the appropriate information
in the appropriate fields. When you get to a field that says logon type,
there are three

radio buttons. I don't know the technical differences between these. I can
tell you that when entering information manually, you will likely need to
use the normal radio button. If you leave the automatic radio button
checked, some fields you will likely need to place information in will be
shown as read only and will be unusable.

It is not my purpose here to explain all the various fields and what they
mean. If you have questions about that, ask the list. However, if you know
what information to place in which fields, you will now be able to manually
enter

information when creating an account in Site Manager.

Gene

Message 2.

You get messages such as command and response because they are appearing as
they are executed in the FileZilla window. You shouldn't be hearing them
spoken unless you are using JAWS and have the screen echo set to all. You
can look at these messages with your screen-reader's simulated mouse to see
what is going on if there is any problem. to use Filezilla easily, shift
tab, after waiting a few seconds from the time you activate the quick
connect button. You will see an item you can ignore. You will then be in a
list view of what is on the FtP server. Treat this as you would any list of
files and folders.

Find the item you want and press enter to start the download. To control
where the download is placed, before starting the download, shift tab until
you get to the list of files and folders on your computer. It will be two or
three times, depending on how you have the program configured.
Treat this list as you would any list. Find the folder you want the file to
be sent to, press enter to open the folder, then tab back to the file you
want to download and press enter. The download will begin.

Here is more information about determining the status of a download.

Message 3.

I already discussed how to see the line giving download information such as
speed, time to this point and remaining time.

You can see a number of messages about what has happened if you look around
the screen. If you start at the top, after moving down a few lines, you
will see a

number of messages, each on a separate line. The messages proceed with the
oldest at the top. If there is an error or a problem when you are
downloading, if you

don't see the line I've described with the information such as the speed of
the download, looking at these messages may tell you what the problem is.














--
For 24/7 music and shows to encourage you in following Christ, go to https://www.radioforlife.org


Re: FileZilla

Armando
 

I have used Filezilla before. It is still accessible.

On Feb 9, 2022, at 5:54 PM, Janet Brandly <jbrandly@...> wrote:

Hi Gene,

Thanks for passing along this information. I'll definitely be digging into
it soon.

Janet

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: February 8, 2022 11:32 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] FileZilla

I did one a long time ago. I don't know if or to what extent FileZilla has
changed. You can see if this tutorial pretty much teaches you the basics of
the program and it may help you have a better idea what you are looking for
or at when you look around.


I originally had a section on uploading which I didn't include here. If
someone wants to see it, let me know. I would have to edit it for various
reasons before sending it.


Gene


this, what I'm calling a tutorial, is actually an edited number of messages
sent to a list years ago. The information may not be organized as in
something written as a tutorial. I may cover something and then add more
information later because I wrote another message on the subject later.

Also, this information is very old, I don't know how the program has changed
since that time.

Message 1.

Regarding installation, it's a standard installation. There is no reason to
change any default settings, as I recall.

Once installed and running, open the menus and in the file menu, open the
site manager. Tab to the new site button and activate it with the space bar.
There will be

various fields where you can enter the appropriate information. The field
you are placed in after pressing the space bar is where you name the site.
this is the name you want to call it such as John's server. type what you
want, and that is all you have to do in this field. Then tab around the
dialog, entering

information where appropriate. Then use the save and exit button to save
the site and close the dialog.

Now open site manager again, down arrow in the tree view to the name you
gave the site. Tab to the connect button and press the space bar. You will
be connected.

There may be a pause. As I recall, you hear nothing telling you are
connected. You will know you are if you see the remote folder I discuss
below.

In future, if you used this site last, just open FileZilla and use the quick
connect command, control r to reconnect to the site. It will reconnect and
go to the

last folder you were in. Once you are connected, you will get to where you
want to be much more quickly if you shift tab through the fields in the main
program

window. If you have problems understanding what you see as you move, let us
know. If you are familiar with list views and tree views, you probably won't
have much problem understanding the structure.


Use the remote list to move through the server and find what you want, just
as you do in File Explorer. To determine where a file will be downloaded,
use the local list to find and open the folder where you want the file to be
downloaded to.


To begin downloading a file, just find it and press enter. If you are going
to download multiple files, Some sites don't want you to conduct multiple
downloads but rather download one file at a time. In other words, if you
select a number of files and press enter, by default, FileZilla makes a
connection for each file and downloads them simultaneously. If you change
the setting, one file will be downloaded, then the next one, etc. You may
want to ask the person providing the server if he/she permits multiple
downloads. I don't know how widespread objections to multiple downloads
are.

To work with the multiple downloads setting, open the menus, find the cue
menu, then find, in that menu an item that says use multiple connections and
press enter to uncheck that option.
You need to do this every time you open the program and want to download
multiple files. You select multiple files as you do in any list. You can
permanently change this setting so you don't have to repeatedly change it by
working with the settings available from an item in the edit menu.
there is an item in the edit menu called settings you can open, then you
will find all sorts of settings you can change.

To see the progress of a download, use screen review, whatever your
screen-reader calls it, in the window. Start at the bottom and move up.
You will see a line with
information about the remaining time, download speed, etc.

Returning to site manager and setting up an account, if you need to enter
information manually, do the following:
Follow the first steps I described above. Open the site manager, tab to the
new site button then press the space bar. Type the name you want to call the
site. So far

everything has been the same. Now, tab and type the appropriate information
in the appropriate fields. When you get to a field that says logon type,
there are three

radio buttons. I don't know the technical differences between these. I can
tell you that when entering information manually, you will likely need to
use the normal radio button. If you leave the automatic radio button
checked, some fields you will likely need to place information in will be
shown as read only and will be unusable.

It is not my purpose here to explain all the various fields and what they
mean. If you have questions about that, ask the list. However, if you know
what information to place in which fields, you will now be able to manually
enter

information when creating an account in Site Manager.

Gene

Message 2.

You get messages such as command and response because they are appearing as
they are executed in the FileZilla window. You shouldn't be hearing them
spoken unless you are using JAWS and have the screen echo set to all. You
can look at these messages with your screen-reader's simulated mouse to see
what is going on if there is any problem. to use Filezilla easily, shift
tab, after waiting a few seconds from the time you activate the quick
connect button. You will see an item you can ignore. You will then be in a
list view of what is on the FtP server. Treat this as you would any list of
files and folders.

Find the item you want and press enter to start the download. To control
where the download is placed, before starting the download, shift tab until
you get to the list of files and folders on your computer. It will be two or
three times, depending on how you have the program configured.
Treat this list as you would any list. Find the folder you want the file to
be sent to, press enter to open the folder, then tab back to the file you
want to download and press enter. The download will begin.

Here is more information about determining the status of a download.

Message 3.

I already discussed how to see the line giving download information such as
speed, time to this point and remaining time.

You can see a number of messages about what has happened if you look around
the screen. If you start at the top, after moving down a few lines, you
will see a

number of messages, each on a separate line. The messages proceed with the
oldest at the top. If there is an error or a problem when you are
downloading, if you

don't see the line I've described with the information such as the speed of
the download, looking at these messages may tell you what the problem is.














Re: FileZilla

Janet Brandly
 

Hi Gene,

Thanks for passing along this information. I'll definitely be digging into
it soon.

Janet

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: February 8, 2022 11:32 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] FileZilla

I did one a long time ago.  I don't know if or to what extent FileZilla has
changed.  You can see if this tutorial pretty much teaches you the basics of
the program and it may help you have a better idea what you are looking for
or at when you look around.


I originally had a section on uploading which I didn't include here.  If
someone wants to see it, let me know.  I would have to edit it for various
reasons before sending it.


Gene


this, what I'm calling a tutorial, is actually an edited number of messages
sent to a list years ago.  The information may not be organized as in
something written as a tutorial.  I may cover something and then add more
information later because I wrote another message on the subject later.

Also, this information is very old, I don't know how the program has changed
since that time.

Message 1.

Regarding installation, it's a standard installation. There is no reason to
change any default settings, as I recall.

Once installed and running, open the menus and in the file menu, open the
site manager. Tab to the new site button and activate it with the space bar.
There will be

various fields where you can enter the appropriate information. The field
you are placed in after pressing the space bar is where you name the site.
this is the name you want to call it such as John's server. type what you
want, and that is all you have to do in this field. Then tab around the
dialog, entering

information where appropriate.  Then use the save and exit button to save
the site and close the dialog.

Now open site manager again, down arrow in the tree view to the name you
gave the site. Tab to the connect button and press the space bar. You will
be connected.

There may be a pause.  As I recall, you hear nothing telling you are
connected.  You will know you are if you see the remote folder I discuss
below.

In future, if you used this site last, just open FileZilla and use the quick
connect command, control r to reconnect to the site. It will reconnect and
go to the

last folder you were in. Once you are connected, you will get to where you
want to be much more quickly if you shift tab through the fields in the main
program

window. If you have problems understanding what you see as you move, let us
know. If you are familiar with list views and tree views, you probably won't
have much problem understanding the structure.


Use the remote list to move through the server and find what you want, just
as you do in File Explorer.  To determine where a file will be downloaded,
use the local list to find and open the folder where you want the file to be
downloaded to.


To begin downloading a file, just find it and press enter. If you are going
to download multiple files, Some sites don't want you to conduct multiple
downloads but rather download one file at a time.  In other words, if you
select a number of files and press enter, by default, FileZilla makes a
connection for each file and downloads them simultaneously.  If you change
the setting, one file will be downloaded, then the next one, etc.  You may
want to ask the person providing the server if he/she permits multiple
downloads.  I don't know how widespread objections to multiple downloads
are.

To work with the multiple downloads setting, open the menus, find the cue
menu, then find, in that menu an item that says use multiple connections and
press enter to uncheck that option.
You need to do this every time you open the program and want to download
multiple files. You select multiple files as you do in any list. You can
permanently change this setting so you don't have to repeatedly change it by
working with the settings available from an item in the edit menu.
there is an item in the edit menu called settings you can open, then you
will find all sorts of settings you can change.

To see the progress of a download, use screen review, whatever your
screen-reader calls it, in the window.  Start at the bottom and move up.
You will see a line with
information about the remaining time, download speed, etc.

Returning to site manager and setting up an account, if you need to enter
information manually, do the following:
Follow the first steps I described above. Open the site manager, tab to the
new site button then press the space bar. Type the name you want to call the
site. So far

everything has been the same.  Now, tab and type the appropriate information
in the appropriate fields. When you get to a field that says logon type,
there are three

radio buttons. I don't know the technical differences between these. I can
tell you that when entering information manually, you will likely need to
use the normal radio button. If you leave the automatic radio button
checked, some fields you will likely need to place information in will be
shown as read only and will be unusable.

It is not my purpose here to explain all the various fields and what they
mean. If you have questions about that, ask the list. However, if you know
what information to place in which fields, you will now be able to manually
enter

information when creating an account in Site Manager.

Gene

Message 2.

You get messages such as command and response because they are appearing as
they are executed in the FileZilla window. You shouldn't be hearing them
spoken unless you are using JAWS and have the screen echo set to all. You
can look at these messages with your screen-reader's simulated mouse to see
what is going on if there is any problem. to use Filezilla easily, shift
tab, after waiting a few seconds from the time you activate the quick
connect button. You will see an item you can ignore. You will then be in a
list view of what is on the FtP server. Treat this as you would any list of
files and folders.

Find the item you want and press enter to start the download. To control
where the download is placed, before starting the download, shift tab until
you get to the list of files and folders on your computer. It will be two or
three times, depending on how you have the program configured.
Treat this list as you would any list. Find the folder you want the file to
be sent to, press enter to open the folder, then tab back to the file you
want to download and press enter. The download will begin.

Here is more information about determining the status of a download.

Message 3.

I already discussed how to see the line giving download information such as
speed, time to this point and remaining time.

You can see a number of messages about what has happened if you look around
the screen.  If you start at the top, after moving down a few lines, you
will see a

number of messages, each on a separate line. The messages proceed with the
oldest at the top. If there is an error or a problem when you are
downloading, if you

don't see the line I've described with the information such as the speed of
the download, looking at these messages may tell you what the problem is.


Reading Bookshare books with Firefox and NVDA

Mani Iyer
 

Hello all,
I open the .xml file in the Bookshare unzipped folder in Firefox and the entire book loads fine. But I cannot use the NVDA single letter navigation on the book. I tried switching to document review which I thought was redundant, but that did not work either. Do I have to download some Firefox extension to enable this?
On another note, Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge did not even load the book.
Any thoughts on this issue?

Thanks,

mani


Re: copy with review cursor, are there limitations?

Jason Bratcher
 

Let's do the WinVer command since that's more consistent then even Office can be.
1. Type WinVer into the Windows+R (Run) dialog and tap Enter.
2. NVDA+NumPad dash to route focus to the current object.
(This is assuming a non-SpeechHistory addon user).
You'll be on an OK button.
3. Using object review with NVDA+NumPad 1, NVDA+NumPad 4 exactly 6 times to the Version string.
4. Do an NVDA+F9 right now. You should hear "start marked".
5. Use the NumPad 6 to reach the end of the string (going by words).
6. Use NumPad 3 to move to the last letter of the final word (or number).
7. Do an NVDA+F10 2 times (twice).
You should hear "copied to clipboard".
Now this can be pasted anywhere.
If you have it..., there's a slight yummy bonus with the SpeechHistory addon...
While on the Version part (or any other object text you needed), simply do NumPad 8.
Nvda just says the object proper with 0 interveening text.
I think it's an F12 to copy what was just spoken to clipboard.
I changed my copy keystroke to NVDA+Shift+C in the Input Gestures since I'm usually near the home row a lot while typing.
Again, this can be pasted, just like:
"Windows Security - Actions recommended."
"Type the name of a program, folder, document, or Internet resource, and Windows will open it for you."
"This task will be created with administrative privileges."
"The skies will be clear. The low will be 39°. Temperatures near freezing."

--
Jason Bratcher


Re: Opinions about adding an NVDA feature to jump directly to misspelled words

Curtis Delzer
 

great and I am in total support of this since I endure this using NVDA and t-bird every day, several times per day.

On 2/9/2022 12:06 PM, Gene wrote:

I had created an issue about a week ago.  I have been somewhat preoccupied  recently and I forgot.  I'm sorry about the duplication.  I'm sure I checked before creating the first issue and didn't fine one. 

I'm sorry about the duplication.


I hope those interested in seeing this issue adopted go to the original issue page, register, and express support.  So far, the issue has gotten only one or perhaps two positive responses.  That doesn't mean the developers won't consider it, but they will be more likely to with meaningful support. 


You can see the topic here:

https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/13293


Gene

On 2/9/2022 12:15 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

Closed as a duplicate of an earlier issue raised by the same person. I beg you, please search for existing issues before filing a new one.

Cheers,

Joseph

-- 
Curtis Delzer
H.S.
K6VFO
curtis@...


Re: Opinions about adding an NVDA feature to jump directly to misspelled words

Gene
 

For some reason, a duplicate of my message was sent.  I didn't send it, just so people know.


Gene

On 2/9/2022 2:06 PM, Gene via groups.io wrote:

I had created an issue about a week ago.  I have been somewhat preoccupied  recently and I forgot.  I'm sorry about the duplication.  I'm sure I checked before creating the first issue and didn't fine one. 

I'm sorry about the duplication.


I hope those interested in seeing this issue adopted go to the original issue page, register, and express support.  So far, the issue has gotten only one or perhaps two positive responses.  That doesn't mean the developers won't consider it, but they will be more likely to with meaningful support. 


You can see the topic here:

https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/13293


Gene

On 2/9/2022 12:15 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

Closed as a duplicate of an earlier issue raised by the same person. I beg you, please search for existing issues before filing a new one.

Cheers,

Joseph


Re: Opinions about adding an NVDA feature to jump directly to misspelled words

Gene
 

I had created an issue about a week ago.  I have been somewhat preoccupied  recently and I forgot.  I'm sorry about the duplication.  I'm sure I checked before creating the first issue and didn't fine one. 

I'm sorry about the duplication.


I hope those interested in seeing this issue adopted go to the original issue page, register, and express support.  So far, the issue has gotten only one or perhaps two positive responses.  That doesn't mean the developers won't consider it, but they will be more likely to with meaningful support. 


You can see the topic here:

https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/13293


Gene

On 2/9/2022 12:15 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

Closed as a duplicate of an earlier issue raised by the same person. I beg you, please search for existing issues before filing a new one.

Cheers,

Joseph


Re: NVDA 2021.3.1 loses audio in Webex teams meeting

Brian Moore
 

Hi.  Yes, this used to happen to me to. It is a specific version of Webex which we don't have anymore but until we upgraded, I had to use either jaws or narrator in a webex meeting because that control for moving around a meeting didn't work with NVDA.


Cisco only tests with Jaws so they were no help.

Contact me on skype: brian.moore
follow me on twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/bmoore123
On 2022-02-09 1:20 p.m., Abby Apotheker wrote:

Hi folks,

 

I was working with a developer teammate who was trying to show me something using her NVDA screen reader, and when we were in Webex Teams (tried both a call and a personal room meeting), she was not able to get her screen reader to be audible.  I don’t mean that she had problems with the Webex audio features, I mean that even on her side, NVDA 2021.3.1 was not reading aloud.  She could not hear it.  We had to use the speech viewer option.  I am still on NVDA 2020.1 and did not have this problem.  Her screen reader had been working fine before we tried to have a meeting.

 

Does anyone know anything about this?  If yes, is there something she needs to do to make her screen reader audio work when in a Webex meeting?

 

Thanks!

 

Abby Apotheker
Foremost/Farmers Specialty Lines
abigail.nielsen@...
(616) 956-8360

 

2022 Planned Out of Office:

February 26—March 1

April 2—April 10

June 18—June 26

July 29—August 7


Re: Opinions about adding an NVDA feature to jump directly to misspelled words

Janet Brandly
 

Hello,

 

I would really like to see this feature added to NVDA. The spellcheck in Word is slow and clunky and it now has an editing feature which I’m not sure how to disable. Window-Eyes used to use alt-period and alt-comma for this and it worked very well.

 

Janet

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: February 9, 2022 9:37 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Opinions about adding an NVDA feature to jump directly to misspelled words

 

I have submitted this request as a Github issue.  Those interested in seeing how I ;present the issue and commenting may do so on this page:

https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/13323

 

Gene

On 2/9/2022 10:15 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Put it on the github if it is not already there, otherwise that feature suggestion won’t exist, and it will get lost here. then those of us who are on ther can react with a thumbs up or down if we feel it is a priority for devs or not.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Nutt
Sent: Wednesday, February 9, 2022 6:44 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Opinions about adding an NVDA feature to jump directly to misspelled words

 

Hi Gene,

 

This is another feature that JAWS already has, prior and next misspelling.

 

It’s a great feature.

 

All the best


Steve

 

--

To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

 

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 31 January 2022 01:00
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Opinions about a new feature

 

I was thinking today about a new feature that might speed up work a good deal when writing documents.  I generally don't use f7 spell check these days.  I read my messages before sending them and change flagged spelling errors, thus doing two things at once that I would do separately otherwise. 

 

My proposal for a new feature, which I'd like comments about in terms of demand and feasibility is this:

There could be an NVDA command that moves to the next flagged misspelled word in a document.  Even if I read a document and hear a word flagged, the cursor is almost never on the word.  Its often at the beginning of the line and the misspelled word may take a lot of movement by word to get to.  If I could hear the flag, then issue the move to command, moving to the word could be sped up a lot most of the time.   As I think about it, this adds the equivalent to what a sighted person can do now.  A word is flagged, the sighted person can immediately move to or click on it, thus placing focus on it, and either manually correct it or use the context menu to do so.  Or a sighted person can do so later by seeing the flag, clicking on it, and correcting the word.

 

I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed before.  I did a Google search and I didn't find a Github issue, though I didn't search Github directly.

 

Gene

5661 - 5680 of 98343