Date   

I can't turn off NVDA

David Van Reyk <David.VanReyk@...>
 

Hello!
I had our ITD department set up NVDA on my work laptop. I think I did this without managing the settings. So at the moment, I can't turn it off when the computer starts up. Once I have logged in I can work without getting the audio descriptors (I am not visually impaired, I am a teacher using it to get user experience).  For the life of me, I can't work out where I modify the settings for NVDA such as setting up what keystroke protocol to use to turn NVDA off and on. Apparently, there was a thread 
https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/topic/trouble_closing_n but I am struggling to find the thread to read what it says.
Cheers,
David


Re: Formatting issues in Word, add-on?

 

Hi all,

I know this was not on the table, but can you send me a debug log to figure out what NVDA is saying? To do so, restart NVDA with debug logging, open Word, perform formatting commands, then open NVDA log viewer (NVDA+F1), copy everything, and paste it as a private email to me. The reason is that I want to see if we're seeing a double announcement problem where NVDA announces formatting command results twice - once after pressing the formatting command, followed immediately by a repeat of or a different announcement, and if this is really the case, a simple solution exists: Windows App Essentials add-on (I know, I'm sort of a salesman for this add-on, but I seriously recommend ALL Windows 10 and 11 users to install that add-on); I'll explain what's happening if the debug log confirms my hunch.

Cheers,

Joseph


Re: Sharing screen with Zoom or Microsoft Teams and NVDA

Sylvie Duchateau
 

Hello Pranav, Sarah and all,
Thank you for the tips.
I also solve the problem in typing alt+tab and sometimes it works.
I will try F6 in Zoom.
Best
Sylvie

-----Message d'origine-----
De : nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> De la part de Pranav Lal via groups.io
Envoyé : mercredi 20 avril 2022 02:21
À : nvda@nvda.groups.io
Objet : Re: [nvda] Sharing screen with Zoom or Microsoft Teams and NVDA

Sylvie,
<snip I have not tested with Teams. But the problem with Teams is that pressing windows+m to reach the desktop does not work when screen is shared and NVDA is on.
PL] There are indeed strange focus related issues with Microsoft teams namely, the focus seems to jump around once the screen is shared. I do however share my screen on teams regularly and can get to the desktop. Sometimes, I hit alt+tab to get to another application and then do whatever I have to do from there including getting to the desktop.

Pranav


Re: Sharing screen with Zoom or Microsoft Teams and NVDA

Sylvie Duchateau
 

Hello Gene,

Thank you for this tip. It’s a long way to get to the desktop but I will try this if I get stuck again.

Thank you

Best

Sylvie

De : nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> De la part de Gene via groups.io
Envoyé : mardi 19 avril 2022 11:28
À : nvda@nvda.groups.io
Objet : Re: [nvda] Sharing screen with Zoom or Microsoft Teams and NVDA

 

In Teams, what happens if you press the Windows key, then escape, then shift tab to the desktop?  Usually, pressing the Windows key opens the start menu.  Pressing escape closes it and you are on the start button.  Shift tabbing once moves you to the desktop.

Gene

On 4/19/2022 4:12 AM, Sylvie Duchateau wrote:

Hello,
Thank you for your responses. 
I had at last the opportunity to test with a sighted person. 
The problem was not the way you show slides, slides in HTML work very well. 
The problem in zoom was that changing slides was not updated for participants but only on my Braille display. People saw a blank screen.
It appears that my screen was also blank, but I could not see it.
It seems that the explanation relies in the participants window. As people are coming and leaving the call, I display this window with alt+u. The window remains in the front and hides the slide content, so that people only see a blank screen. 
So the solution is to press escape to hide the participants' window and the slides are displayed properly. 
Displaying the whole screen or only the Firefox window does not change much. 
But if someone has an idea of how being informed that the participant's window hides the slide content, or how to manage the different zoom windows with NVDA, it would be helpful. 
I have not tested with Teams. But the problem with Teams is that pressing windows+m to reach the desktop does not work when screen is shared and NVDA is on. 
Best
Sylvie   
-----Message d'origine-----
De : nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> De la part de Sharad Koirala via groups.io
Envoyé : mercredi 6 avril 2022 06:01
À : nvda@nvda.groups.io
Objet : Re: [nvda] Sharing screen with Zoom or Microsoft Teams and NVDA
 
hi,
 
I am used to share powerpoint slides via both zoom and microsoft teams during lectures and have not faced such problems.
the difference it seems is that I use the desktop app for both the programs instead of using the web interface. one benefit of using the desktop app with teams is that u can share only one window and not the whole screen. this helps in moving around into different tabs in your computer while showing only one content to the audience.
 
thank you,
 
On 4/5/22, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:
Try being in focus mode when changing slides. That would be my suggestion.
As focus mode, nvda does not intercept space or page down etc. Are you 
presenting these via PowerPoint or via a web browser. I have never, 
hope to never, do a slide via a web browser, that would be  a bit messey IMHO.
 
 
 
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sylvie 
Duchateau
Sent: Tuesday, April 5, 2022 1:51 AM
To: Nvda List <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: [nvda] Sharing screen with Zoom or Microsoft Teams and NVDA
 
 
 
Hello all,
 
I regularly have to share my screen in Zoom or Microsoft Teams to 
present slide content in HTML.
 
I used Firefox but I encountered problems, described below, and I then 
tried to use Chrome, but the problems occur as well.
 
For both browsers, I have the updated versions and I use NVDA 2021.3.5.
 
I encounter some problems with screen sharing with NVDA in Zoom, 
sometimes as well in Microsoft Teams.
 
When screen sharing is on, some browser commands do not work anymore. 
For example, pressing the space bar to show the next slide or typing 
an URL in the address bar. The browser does not respond, or I can read 
things with the braille display that are updated but people I am 
talking to see older parts of the slides.
 
Sometimes, only pressing Windows and M to access the desktop does not 
work anymore.
 
When screen sharing is disabled again or when NVDA is not in use (for 
my colleagues, for example), the problem of screen sharing and the 
lack of responsiveness in the browser does not occur.
 
Has anybody encountered issues with screen sharing with Zoom, 
Microsoft Teams and NVDA?
 
Thank you for any experience you may have.
 
Best
 
Sylvie
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
--
Dr. Sharad Koirala
Lecturer
Department of Community Medicine
Gandaki Medical College, Pokhara, Nepal
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 


Re: Formatting issues in Word, add-on?

Luke Davis
 

Janet Brandly wrote:

Yes, when I toggle the underline and italics keys NVDA always says that they are on. so I can’t trust it.
I don't think anyone asked or you said: what version of word? I.e. 16.something.something.something.
And are there any updates you can apply?

Luke


Re: Speech delay in Excel

Gene
 

What synthesizer are you using?  I have no difference when reading the two examples.  While there is a short pause, I attribute it to the colon.  I have punctuation set to off. 

Gene
On 4/20/2022 1:34 PM, David Hoff Jr wrote:

I have experienced a speech delay in Excel spreadsheets when using the
"#" sign.


Editing in Visual Studio

Dan TeVelde <dan.tevelde@...>
 

I am using Visual Studio with a Mantis Braille display. I am having two problems. First, sometimes if I try routing the cursor it moves to the top of the screen. I am also finding that if I pan to the right with the Braille display sometimes focus moves back to the top of the screen. NVDA treats an editing session as though I was in browse mode. I can move the cursor but if I turn off browse mode, I can’t do anything. I did enable Visual Studio accessibility settings. Am I missing something? I don’t have the option of using another editor. I’m just glad it works most of the time.

 

Thanks,

Dan


Speech delay in Excel

David Hoff Jr
 

I have experienced a speech delay in Excel spreadsheets when using the
"#" sign.
--
A cell with the text of:
Member ID#: 1234567
will not delay, but speak immediateley.
<>
A cell with the text of:
Member #: 1234567
has a short delay before speaking the cell contents.

As I just cursored over the above I found that the same thing happens in
this email also. When this happens, it is possible to miss some
information that may be important. It seems that preceeding the "#" sign
with a charachor makes the diference.

Is this a bug or is there a reason for this?


For Users of The Acapela Addon: Version 1.8 is Available: Compatible With NVDA 2022.1

David Goldfield
 

Acapela has updated its NVDA text to speech addon. It is now compatible with NVDA 2022.1.

http://www.acapela-nvda.com/get-your-download-here-v1-8/

 

 

David Goldfield,

Blindness Assistive Technology Specialist

NVDA Certified Expert

 

Subscribe to the Tech-VI announcement list to receive emails regarding news and events in the blindness assistive technology field.

Email: tech-vi+subscribe@groups.io

www.DavidGoldfield.org

 

 

 

 


Re: Formatting issues in Word, add-on?

Luke Davis
 

Janet Brandly wrote:

Yes, when I toggle the underline and italics keys NVDA always says that they are on. so I can’t trust it.
I think this may need some deeper analysis.

Open a blank word document.
Toggle on bold, underline, and italics.
After each, toggle it off again immediately.

Does NVDA announce "bold on", "bold off", and so on?

Then, open one of your templates and try the same thing.

Do you get the same behavior as you did in the blank document?

If that does work in your template as it did in the blank document, can you give a step by step example of a case wherein it doesn't work?

I have run into situations where one of those toggles has reported the opposite of what I expect, but this has always been the result of operator error.

Also, I have never known NVDA+F not to be accurate, assuming all of the correct attributes are set in document formatting.

And no add-on is likely to do better, since it will be using the same information sources.
Turning UIA on or off might get you more information in certain cases, but not this one.

Luke


Re: NVDA not reading aloud usernames/emails in Chrome saved password dropdowns

Sarah k Alawami
 

I just heard back from them Some of it does sound canned, but here's hoping they can get this issue resolved. Here is the email verbatim.

Hi Sarah,
Thank you for contacting us at Google Disability Support. My name is Wendy and I am happy to be working with you today.
I understand that When completing a password for auto complete items, the name of the item is not spoken when you use Screen readers in Chrome. Instead it says "password for".
I have replicated your issue and have sent a bug report to our specialists.
This team will review your case to make sure we don’t need anything more from you before we officially submit it to the Google Development Team. We're always grateful to receive ideas and requests and your suggestions help us improve our products, so we want to make sure we fully understand your issue before we close your case with the Disability Support team.
Once our team reviews and confirms your issue , we’ll relay it to the Google Development Team. While we won’t be able to provide a definitive time on a response from them, we do want to let you know that the Google Development Team actively reviews feedback like yours to understand what our users would like to see and implements new features that way.
Please note that due to Covid-19 we are experiencing a delay in Bug reports being submitted, but rest assured I’ll follow up with you once your bug report has been sent to the Google Development Team.
Have a great day, and if there is any way that I may further offer you assistance with assistive technology or accessibility feature questions, please feel free to contact me at Google Disability Support.
Thanks!
Wendy
The Google Support Team

Google Help Center

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Luke Robinett
Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2022 10:11 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA not reading aloud usernames/emails in Chrome saved password dropdowns

Just getting caught up on the thread. Sounds like we’ve narrowed the issue down to a Chrome problem. I will make sure to fill out a report with Google as well. Thanks everybody. in the meantime, good old NVDA OCR will allow you to know which saved login you are on. Not ideal but better than nothing until we get a fix.

On Apr 19, 2022, at 1:19 AM, Steve Nutt <steve@...> wrote:

Hi,

This is a Chrome problem with all screen readers. It happens with JAWS too.

All the best

Steve

--
To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to
https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW
T: +44(0)1438-742286
M: +44(0)7956-334938
F: +44(0)1438-759589
E: steve@...
W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Luke
Robinett
Sent: 13 April 2022 18:11
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA not reading aloud usernames/emails in Chrome
saved password dropdowns

Latest versions of windows 10, Chrome and NVDA here. When I am logging into a website and the username or password field has focus, I press alt down arrow to access whatever passwords I have saved for that site. Normally each item in the list would say something like, “password for username1,” “password for email@...,” etc. (Obviously using dummy names for this purpose but you get the idea.) Now NVDA just says “password for.” I’ve observed this behavior in both the current and prior versions of NVDA. If I activate NVDA character recognition I do here the account names so I know they’re physically appearing on the screen.












Re: NVDA not reading aloud usernames/emails in Chrome saved password dropdowns

Sarah k Alawami
 

No, I was able to send a report, the fields were 100 percent accessible with chrome and nvda.  Odd? It worked here and the report has been submitted.  If you need to reference my case number look up [4-5880000032533]

 

----

 

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFfP. We are also on lbry as well.

 

Stay in touch with us via our discord. This is an easier way to both contact us, and get to know your fellow listeners.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Nutt
Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2022 9:38 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA not reading aloud usernames/emails in Chrome saved password dropdowns

 

Oh wow, I just went on to the Google Disability Support website to report an issue, and it’s no longer accessible. Can anyone verify this? I tried with JAWS and NVDA.

 

Go to the Google Disability Link that Brian correctly gave us.

 

Now select any method of contacting them, including Online Chat, as you have to fill in the same form first.

 

Now try to select the Describe Your Issue field, not the first one, which is the search box, but the second one, after your name and Email address. It used to be a combo, now it isn’t. So in effect, I don’t think you can open it with a screen reader to select an option, it just says “Select One” with an asterisk, but screen readers don’t see it as a drop down.

 

I tried it with NVDA’s activate option, NVDA and Enter, and that didn’t work either.

 

So I certainly can’t report it.

 

All the best


Steve

 

 

--

To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

 

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: 20 April 2022 16:11
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA not reading aloud usernames/emails in Chrome saved password dropdowns

 

So this is "on record" for future readers:

Google Accessibility Get In Touch Page

 

Contact the Google Disability Support Team

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

You can't crush ideas by suppressing them. You can only crush them by ignoring them.
     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed


Re: NVDA not reading aloud usernames/emails in Chrome saved password dropdowns

Sarah k Alawami
 

I just sent a report, we'll see what happens. I'll keep you guys abreast of what's up.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Nutt
Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2022 9:30 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA not reading aloud usernames/emails in Chrome saved password dropdowns

I think reporting it would be better than pinging their socials, because it may not get noticed by the right people.

All the best

Steve

--
To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW
T: +44(0)1438-742286
M: +44(0)7956-334938
F: +44(0)1438-759589
E: steve@...
W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sarah k Alawami
Sent: 20 April 2022 16:07
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA not reading aloud usernames/emails in Chrome saved password dropdowns

I will look at that, I think I will ping their social accounts wit this information as that's where I tend to get noticed, sometimes for the wrong reasons, but we'll give this a try.

Happy Wednesday.



-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Nutt
Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2022 2:31 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA not reading aloud usernames/emails in Chrome saved password dropdowns

Hi Sarah,

Report it to Disability Support on Google.

All the best

Steve

--
To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW
T: +44(0)1438-742286
M: +44(0)7956-334938
F: +44(0)1438-759589
E: steve@...
W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sarah k Alawami
Sent: 19 April 2022 16:28
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA not reading aloud usernames/emails in Chrome saved password dropdowns

Sigh. Is there a ticket somewhere in chromium we can discuss this in then?

Thanks.



-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Nutt
Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2022 1:20 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA not reading aloud usernames/emails in Chrome saved password dropdowns

Hi,

This is a Chrome problem with all screen readers. It happens with JAWS too.

All the best

Steve

--
To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW
T: +44(0)1438-742286
M: +44(0)7956-334938
F: +44(0)1438-759589
E: steve@...
W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Luke Robinett
Sent: 13 April 2022 18:11
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA not reading aloud usernames/emails in Chrome saved password dropdowns

Latest versions of windows 10, Chrome and NVDA here. When I am logging into a website and the username or password field has focus, I press alt down arrow to access whatever passwords I have saved for that site. Normally each item in the list would say something like, “password for username1,” “password for email@...,” etc. (Obviously using dummy names for this purpose but you get the idea.) Now NVDA just says “password for.” I’ve observed this behavior in both the current and prior versions of NVDA. If I activate NVDA character recognition I do here the account names so I know they’re physically appearing on the screen.


Re: Formatting issues in Word, add-on?

Sarah k Alawami
 

Looks like your nvda might be screwed up some how. Did you disable all add ons, try the toggle, use the com reg fixing took, try toggle, restart computer, try toggle, factory reset of nvda, try toggle?

 

----

 

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFfP. We are also on lbry as well.

 

Stay in touch with us via our discord. This is an easier way to both contact us, and get to know your fellow listeners.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Janet Brandly
Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2022 9:15 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Formatting issues in Word, add-on?

 

Hi Gene,

 

Yes, when I toggle the underline and italics keys NVDA always says that they are on. so I can’t trust it.

 

Janet

 

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: April 20, 2022 10:02 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Formatting issues in Word, add-on?

 

I did a little experimenting and I got the following results:
Turning on report formatting changes in front of the cursor didn't tell me if italics were present in a document.
Turning on phont  attributes did tell me when italics are on and off, but only when using read to end.

My experience regarding when italics is on and off is that the command control i reliably toggles italics on and off.  Do you hear any announcement from NVDA when you toggle it on and off?

Gene

On 4/20/2022 10:52 AM, Gene wrote:

It wasn't clear to me in the previous discussion whether you were referring to the setting I discussed.  If you were referring to something else, I hope you find my suggestion useful.

Gene

On 4/20/2022 10:49 AM, Gene via groups.io wrote:

Have you tried reading a document or the part you are working on with the setting on that says something like report formatting changes after the cursor?  I haven't played with different ways of getting attribute information to any extent but you may find that a good method to see changes as they occur in a document.

the setting is a checkbox at the end of the document formatting dialog.  The fastest way to get to it is to open document formenting, then shift tab a number of times to it.

When you have finished working with it, you can turn it off with one command, the use saved configuration command, NVDA key control r.

Gene
On 4/20/2022 10:31 AM, Janet Brandly wrote:

Hi Jackie,
 
Yes, I have used that command but with the formatting not being toggled on and off correctly I'm not sure whether or not to trust that command's accuracy. Brian has given me some e great suggestions.
 
Janet
 
 
-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jackie
Sent: April 20, 2022 9:24 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Formatting issues in Word, add-on?
 
Have you used NVDA + f to look at your font? It'll say those attributes.
 
On 4/20/22, Janet Brandly <jbrandly@...> wrote:
Hello all,
 
 
 
Is there an addon for Word that works with the latest NVDA and Windows Ten?
 
 
 
My job requires me to use a Word template in an old version of Word, 
I'm pretty sure it's 1997-2003. This template is on a transcription 
platform. I write within the template and submit it through the 
platform. When  I toggle between Ctrl-U or Ctrl-I for underlining or 
italics, NVDA often reports incorrect status. It usually says that 
they are on each time. This has caused the formatting of documents I 
submit to be incorrect and I'm not sure whether I can trust the report 
formatting command NVDA-F. Is there an addon that would work reliably 
to prevent this problem?
 
 
 
Thank you,
 
 
 
Janet
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
--
Subscribe to a WordPress for Newbies Mailing List by sending a message to:
wp4newbs-request@... with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by visiting the list page at http://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs
& check out my sites at www.brightstarsweb.com & www.mysitesbeenhacked.com
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

 

 


Re: drag and drop

Dave Grossoehme
 

Hi:  It's has been years since I used the method that I'm going to try and explain from my memory.  This would be a possibility to see if it works for you.  The numpad slash or divide as the nvda help calls it is your left mouse key.  Press the slash to bring it to your item, and the shift key pluss the numpad divide will lock the mouse button.  If you press the divide key to bring it to the item then try locking the mouse on the item you wish to move then go to the area in the box you wish to move the item to and press the shift key + the numpad divide to unlock the item from the mouse.  I've never tried this with today's nvda, but it worked years ago in other screen readers.  Good luck.

Dave


On 4/20/2022 10:41 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

Gene,  Thanks.  As I suspected, if this is the site, it's members only.

One of the biggest issues with discussing drag and drop in general is that there are multiple ways it can be implemented and that has a direct impact on how screen readers may (or may not) successfully interact with it via emulated drag and drop.

Here are several different example pages that use different methods for anyone who wishes to play with them to try:

https://mdn.github.io/dom-examples/drag-and-drop/copy-move-DataTransfer.html 

https://mdn.github.io/dom-examples/drag-and-drop/copy-move-DataTransferItemList.html 

https://park.glitch.me 

I have done zero accessibility testing with them, either.

The above pages are in no way comprehensive in that there are other methods to implement drag and drop.  And I have no idea how the site Farhan wishes to use has chosen to implement its own drag and drop functionality.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

You can't crush ideas by suppressing them. You can only crush them by ignoring them.
     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed


Re: Formatting issues in Word, add-on?

Gene
 

It isn't properly accessible because you should be able to have it identified as some sort of structure in browse mode, but you still can work with it if you have browse mode off and tab to the item. 

This looks like a similar structure to what I've seen elsewhere.

Gene

On 4/20/2022 11:48 AM, Gene via groups.io wrote:

This may be something that should be submitted as a ticket.  When I italicize a sentence and use read to end, I accurately hear when italics begins and ends.  But if I only italicize one word in a sentence, I don't hear notice of it using read to end.  If I move by word, I hear the announcement and if I move by character, I hear it. 

If you issue a control I command and hear that italics is on, that is reliable, as is the italics off announcement when you toggle it off.  If you have confidence in that command, you should be able to trust that, regardless of what you hear announced while reading.

Gene

On 4/20/2022 11:14 AM, Janet Brandly wrote:

Hi Gene,

 

Yes, when I toggle the underline and italics keys NVDA always says that they are on. so I can’t trust it.

 

Janet

 

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: April 20, 2022 10:02 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Formatting issues in Word, add-on?

 

I did a little experimenting and I got the following results:
Turning on report formatting changes in front of the cursor didn't tell me if italics were present in a document.
Turning on phont  attributes did tell me when italics are on and off, but only when using read to end.

My experience regarding when italics is on and off is that the command control i reliably toggles italics on and off.  Do you hear any announcement from NVDA when you toggle it on and off?

Gene

On 4/20/2022 10:52 AM, Gene wrote:

It wasn't clear to me in the previous discussion whether you were referring to the setting I discussed.  If you were referring to something else, I hope you find my suggestion useful.

Gene

On 4/20/2022 10:49 AM, Gene via groups.io wrote:

Have you tried reading a document or the part you are working on with the setting on that says something like report formatting changes after the cursor?  I haven't played with different ways of getting attribute information to any extent but you may find that a good method to see changes as they occur in a document.

the setting is a checkbox at the end of the document formatting dialog.  The fastest way to get to it is to open document formenting, then shift tab a number of times to it.

When you have finished working with it, you can turn it off with one command, the use saved configuration command, NVDA key control r.

Gene
On 4/20/2022 10:31 AM, Janet Brandly wrote:

Hi Jackie,
 
Yes, I have used that command but with the formatting not being toggled on and off correctly I'm not sure whether or not to trust that command's accuracy. Brian has given me some e great suggestions.
 
Janet
 
 
-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jackie
Sent: April 20, 2022 9:24 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Formatting issues in Word, add-on?
 
Have you used NVDA + f to look at your font? It'll say those attributes.
 
On 4/20/22, Janet Brandly <jbrandly@...> wrote:
Hello all,
 
 
 
Is there an addon for Word that works with the latest NVDA and Windows Ten?
 
 
 
My job requires me to use a Word template in an old version of Word, 
I'm pretty sure it's 1997-2003. This template is on a transcription 
platform. I write within the template and submit it through the 
platform. When  I toggle between Ctrl-U or Ctrl-I for underlining or 
italics, NVDA often reports incorrect status. It usually says that 
they are on each time. This has caused the formatting of documents I 
submit to be incorrect and I'm not sure whether I can trust the report 
formatting command NVDA-F. Is there an addon that would work reliably 
to prevent this problem?
 
 
 
Thank you,
 
 
 
Janet
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
--
Subscribe to a WordPress for Newbies Mailing List by sending a message to:
wp4newbs-request@... with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by visiting the list page at http://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs
& check out my sites at www.brightstarsweb.com & www.mysitesbeenhacked.com
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

 

 




Re: NVDA and AOL mail

Luke Robinett
 

Wow. People still use AOL in 2022? Next you’re going to tell me she is using Netscape navigator as her web browser. Lol. All jokes aside, hope you guys find a solution. Cheers.

On Apr 19, 2022, at 1:44 PM, margaretm@... wrote:

As an assistive technology instructor, I have a client with an unusual issue with NVDA.  She has a Windows 10 computer, and this problem occurs no matter what browser she uses.  When she opens her email in a browser, she can navigate through the prompts, the software alerts her to what field she is in, and enter data in each one - except the body of the message.  There is no audio prompt that she is in that field.  Strangely enough, the number and characters can still be entered but no letters.  Even more strangely, if she is replying to a message instead of composing an original email, everything works exactly as it should.  If anyone has any suggestions for what is causing this problem and how to resolve it, we would greatly appreciate it!


Re: Reading Bangla number with nvda default espeak

farhan israk
 

Thank you. It has been fixed after changing voice to bengali. It has always been there. How can I send feedback to espeak developers? I am using nvda 2021.3.5. If I navigate word by word, nvda only announces the first letter of a bengali word. It does not announce the word. However, it does not happen with English words. If I navigate word by word in an English sentence, nvda announces word without any issue. It only happens while reading Bengali words.


On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 9:45 AM Sharad Koirala <shakoirala@...> wrote:
Hello Farhan
greetings from Nepal,

there is the same issue with nepali as well when one sets the voice to
english in the speech settings. this can be fixed by changing the
voice to bangla (in your case) in the speech settings. this can be
reached by going to nvda menu>preferences>settings>speech and pressing
tab repeatedly to reach voices and pressing"b" to reach bengali and
finally tabbing to "ok" button and pressing "enter".

I am using the nepali voice in this case.

however there is a hiccup that though espeak will read both english
and the specific language numbers correctly, you will get the feedback
while typing only in bangla.

hope this works,

On 4/18/22, Cyrille via groups.io <cyrille.bougot2=laposte.net@groups.io> wrote:
> Hi Farhan
>
> Which version of NVDA are you using?
> Is it a new issue or has it always been there?
> If it is a new issue in NVDA 2022.1 (beta), it should be reported to NVDA,
> since there has been work regarding Bangla in this version as you know; and
> it should be fixed before the definitive version.
> If it has always been there (especially before 2022.1), you should report it
> to eSpeak.
> Thanks,
> Cheers,
>
> Cyrille
>
>
>
>
>
>


--
Dr. Sharad Koirala
Lecturer
Department of Community Medicine
Gandaki Medical College, Pokhara, Nepal






Re: NVDA not reading aloud usernames/emails in Chrome saved password dropdowns

Luke Robinett
 

Just getting caught up on the thread. Sounds like we’ve narrowed the issue down to a Chrome problem. I will make sure to fill out a report with Google as well. Thanks everybody. in the meantime, good old NVDA OCR will allow you to know which saved login you are on. Not ideal but better than nothing until we get a fix.

On Apr 19, 2022, at 1:19 AM, Steve Nutt <steve@...> wrote:

Hi,

This is a Chrome problem with all screen readers. It happens with JAWS too.

All the best

Steve

--
To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW
T: +44(0)1438-742286
M: +44(0)7956-334938
F: +44(0)1438-759589
E: steve@...
W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Luke Robinett
Sent: 13 April 2022 18:11
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA not reading aloud usernames/emails in Chrome saved password dropdowns

Latest versions of windows 10, Chrome and NVDA here. When I am logging into a website and the username or password field has focus, I press alt down arrow to access whatever passwords I have saved for that site. Normally each item in the list would say something like, “password for username1,” “password for email@...,” etc. (Obviously using dummy names for this purpose but you get the idea.) Now NVDA just says “password for.” I’ve observed this behavior in both the current and prior versions of NVDA. If I activate NVDA character recognition I do here the account names so I know they’re physically appearing on the screen.












Re: Formatting issues in Word, add-on?

Jackie
 

Another way of reliably toggling on formatting attributes is simply to
select the text you wish to format, then press the appropriate
keystroke, ie, ctrl b, ctrl i, etc. The formatting change will not
extend beyond the selected text.

On 4/20/22, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
This may be something that should be submitted as a ticket.  When I
italicize a sentence and use read to end, I accurately hear when italics
begins and ends.  But if I only italicize one word in a sentence, I
don't hear notice of it using read to end.  If I move by word, I hear
the announcement and if I move by character, I hear it.

If you issue a control I command and hear that italics is on, that is
reliable, as is the italics off announcement when you toggle it off.  If
you have confidence in that command, you should be able to trust that,
regardless of what you hear announced while reading.

Gene

On 4/20/2022 11:14 AM, Janet Brandly wrote:

Hi Gene,

Yes, when I toggle the underline and italics keys NVDA always says
that they are on. so I can’t trust it.

Janet

*From:*nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Gene
*Sent:* April 20, 2022 10:02 AM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] Formatting issues in Word, add-on?

I did a little experimenting and I got the following results:
Turning on report formatting changes in front of the cursor didn't
tell me if italics were present in a document.
Turning on phont  attributes did tell me when italics are on and off,
but only when using read to end.

My experience regarding when italics is on and off is that the command
control i reliably toggles italics on and off.  Do you hear any
announcement from NVDA when you toggle it on and off?

Gene

On 4/20/2022 10:52 AM, Gene wrote:

It wasn't clear to me in the previous discussion whether you were
referring to the setting I discussed.  If you were referring to
something else, I hope you find my suggestion useful.

Gene

On 4/20/2022 10:49 AM, Gene via groups.io wrote:

Have you tried reading a document or the part you are working
on with the setting on that says something like report
formatting changes after the cursor?  I haven't played with
different ways of getting attribute information to any extent
but you may find that a good method to see changes as they
occur in a document.

the setting is a checkbox at the end of the document
formatting dialog.  The fastest way to get to it is to open
document formenting, then shift tab a number of times to it.

When you have finished working with it, you can turn it off
with one command, the use saved configuration command, NVDA
key control r.

Gene
On 4/20/2022 10:31 AM, Janet Brandly wrote:

Hi Jackie,



Yes, I have used that command but with the formatting not
being toggled on and off correctly I'm not sure whether or not to trust
that command's accuracy. Brian has given me some e great suggestions.



Janet





-----Original Message-----

From:nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
<nvda@nvda.groups.io> <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jackie

Sent: April 20, 2022 9:24 AM

To:nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>

Subject: Re: [nvda] Formatting issues in Word, add-on?



Have you used NVDA + f to look at your font? It'll say those
attributes.



On 4/20/22, Janet Brandly<jbrandly@...>
<mailto:jbrandly@...> wrote:

Hello all,







Is there an addon for Word that works with the latest NVDA
and Windows Ten?







My job requires me to use a Word template in an old
version of Word,

I'm pretty sure it's 1997-2003. This template is on a
transcription

platform. I write within the template and submit it
through the

platform. When  I toggle between Ctrl-U or Ctrl-I for
underlining or

italics, NVDA often reports incorrect status. It usually
says that

they are on each time. This has caused the formatting of
documents I

submit to be incorrect and I'm not sure whether I can
trust the report

formatting command NVDA-F. Is there an addon that would
work reliably

to prevent this problem?







Thank you,







Janet















--

Subscribe to a WordPress for Newbies Mailing List by sending a
message to:

wp4newbs-request@...
<mailto:wp4newbs-request@...> with 'subscribe' in the Subject
field OR by visiting the list page
athttp://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs

& check out my sites atwww.brightstarsweb.com
<http://www.brightstarsweb.com> &www.mysitesbeenhacked.com
<http://www.mysitesbeenhacked.com>




























--
Subscribe to a WordPress for Newbies Mailing List by sending a message to:
wp4newbs-request@... with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by
visiting the list page at http://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs
& check out my sites at www.brightstarsweb.com & www.mysitesbeenhacked.com

6801 - 6820 of 101228