Date   

code factory addon for NVDA

Don H
 

When I sent a Email to Code Factory concerning the vocalizer/eloquinse NVDA addon I was told that the NVDA developers were changing the code for 2022.1 to work with the existing addon from Code Factory thus no Code Factory update will be needed. I just started the install of NVDA 2022.1 RC 1 and it still says that the code factory Vocalizer/eloquince addon wis incompatible. I would think if the code factory addon was going to work with 2022.1 the RC 1 version should work. Can someone please set me or code factory straight?


NVDA and reporting of spelling error

William
 

Hi all,

I have a question.

When I am editing a file using Word, if I press up or down arrow, I can hear NVDA reporting there is spelling error.

But if I press ctrl and up or down arrow to ask nvda to read the whole paragraph, even there are spelling errors inside that paragraph, nvda will not anounce it.

I am wondering is this the intended behavior of nvda?


Thanks,

William


NVDA 2022.1 release candidate is now available

Quentin Christensen
 

Hi everyone,

NVDA 2022.1 Release Candidate 1 is now available for testing. We encourage all users to download this RC and provide feedback. Unless any critical bugs are found, this will be identical to the final 2022.1 release. Full details & download at: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2022-1rc1/

This release includes major improvements to UIA support with MS Office. For Microsoft Office 16.0.15000 and higher on Windows 11, NVDA will use UI Automation to access Microsoft Word documents by default. This provides a significant performance improvement over the old Object model access.

There are improvements to braille display drivers including Seika Notetaker, Papenmeier and HID Braille. There are also various Windows 11 bug fixes, for apps such as Calculator, Console, Terminal, Mail and Emoji Panel.

eSpeak-NG and LibLouis have been updated, adding new Japanese, German and Catalan tables.
--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager


Re: Reading mode in NVDA?

Luke Davis
 

On May 11, Penny Golden wrote:

I don't know how to find out what version of NVDA I have.
Penny! It has been a very long time!

Press NVDA+n (When someone here tells you to press NVDA and something, it means either one of the insert keys, or the capslock key, depending on what you setup when you were installing or configuring NVDA).
So press NVDA+N, then H for help.
On the help menu, you can press A, for about, which will tell you the version.
Also on the help menu, you can press U, for the NVDA user guide, which will open in a web browser.

Others have already answered your primary question; I will hold off on that one.

Luke


Re: Reading mode in NVDA?

Carlos Medrano
 

Hi; welcome to NVDA!


NVDA+down_arrow works, but if you are using the laptop keyboard layout, it is NVDA+a. Note that setting capslock as an NVDA modifier does not mean that the keyboard layout changes to the laptop one if you are using the desktop layout; all it does is allow you to use the capslock in addition to insert with a desktop keyboard.


Hope this helps.


- Carlos


On 5/11/2022 9:15 PM, Sim Kah Yong wrote:
Hi there, welcome to NVDA.

Control+shift+R in Window-eyes is NVDA key + down arrow.

The NVDA key can be the caplock key or the insert.

Cheers!

On 12/5/2022 11:43 am, Penny Golden wrote:

I've just started using NVDA, after a long and loving relationship, so to speak, with my dear old Window-eyes.  I'm still on a win 7 computer.  I don't know how to find out what version of NVDA I have.

I'll try not to ask questions that do not conform to the list guidelines.  In win-eyes, there's a way to read the entire document, at least in an email, without supping.  it was control-shift-r.  Is there a so-called reading mode in NVDA?


Thank you all so much for bearing with a total newbie.  My win-eyes quit reading the menus; it would only read the letters, not the entire thing, such as copy-path, or the like.

NVDA is reading these menus nicely.  If I can get my oldie to do it again, I'll probably go back to using that.

Sorry this got so long.

I'm so glad to have the input help-mode of nvda-1.  But some of these things I do not know how to style.  So I don't know how to ask NVDA the question.  I'll get my hands on a braille command doc to read on my braille devices, and I'll be off and running.


Thanks for bearing with me.

Penny Golden

Old lady Schoolmarm in Eastern Nebraska.

pengold2@...













Re: Reading mode in NVDA?

Quentin Christensen
 

Hi Penny,

As Sim noted, NVDA+down arrow is the default reading command in NVDA.  If you have set NVDA up in laptop keyboard layout, then it is NVDA+a.

We have a guide on switching from Window-Eyes to NVDA here: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda-community/wiki/Switching-from-Window-Eyes-to-NVDA

It is not quite as detailed as the guide to switching from Jaws here: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda-community/wiki/SwitchingFromJawsToNVDA so you might want to have a look at that as well, particularly the getting started section.

And if you do come up with any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 2:15 PM Sim Kah Yong <simkahyong@...> wrote:
Hi there, welcome to NVDA.

Control+shift+R in Window-eyes is NVDA key + down arrow.

The NVDA key can be the caplock key or the insert.

Cheers!

On 12/5/2022 11:43 am, Penny Golden wrote:
>
> I've just started using NVDA, after a long and loving relationship, so
> to speak, with my dear old Window-eyes.  I'm still on a win 7
> computer.  I don't know how to find out what version of NVDA I have.
>
> I'll try not to ask questions that do not conform to the list
> guidelines.  In win-eyes, there's a way to read the entire document,
> at least in an email, without supping.  it was control-shift-r.  Is
> there a so-called reading mode in NVDA?
>
>
> Thank you all so much for bearing with a total newbie.  My win-eyes
> quit reading the menus; it would only read the letters, not the entire
> thing, such as copy-path, or the like.
>
> NVDA is reading these menus nicely.  If I can get my oldie to do it
> again, I'll probably go back to using that.
>
> Sorry this got so long.
>
> I'm so glad to have the input help-mode of nvda-1.  But some of these
> things I do not know how to style.  So I don't know how to ask NVDA
> the question.  I'll get my hands on a braille command doc to read on
> my braille devices, and I'll be off and running.
>
>
> Thanks for bearing with me.
>
> Penny Golden
>
> Old lady Schoolmarm in Eastern Nebraska.
>
> pengold2@...
>
>
>
>
>
>
>







--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager


Re: Reading mode in NVDA?

Sim Kah Yong
 

Hi there, welcome to NVDA.

Control+shift+R in Window-eyes is NVDA key + down arrow.

The NVDA key can be the caplock key or the insert.

Cheers!

On 12/5/2022 11:43 am, Penny Golden wrote:

I've just started using NVDA, after a long and loving relationship, so to speak, with my dear old Window-eyes.  I'm still on a win 7 computer.  I don't know how to find out what version of NVDA I have.

I'll try not to ask questions that do not conform to the list guidelines.  In win-eyes, there's a way to read the entire document, at least in an email, without supping.  it was control-shift-r.  Is there a so-called reading mode in NVDA?


Thank you all so much for bearing with a total newbie.  My win-eyes quit reading the menus; it would only read the letters, not the entire thing, such as copy-path, or the like.

NVDA is reading these menus nicely.  If I can get my oldie to do it again, I'll probably go back to using that.

Sorry this got so long.

I'm so glad to have the input help-mode of nvda-1.  But some of these things I do not know how to style.  So I don't know how to ask NVDA the question.  I'll get my hands on a braille command doc to read on my braille devices, and I'll be off and running.


Thanks for bearing with me.

Penny Golden

Old lady Schoolmarm in Eastern Nebraska.

pengold2@...






Reading mode in NVDA?

Penny Golden <pengold2@...>
 

I've just started using NVDA, after a long and loving relationship, so to speak, with my dear old Window-eyes.  I'm still on a win 7 computer.  I don't know how to find out what version of NVDA I have.

I'll try not to ask questions that do not conform to the list guidelines.  In win-eyes, there's a way to read the entire document, at least in an email, without supping.  it was control-shift-r.  Is there a so-called reading mode in NVDA?


Thank you all so much for bearing with a total newbie.  My win-eyes quit reading the menus; it would only read the letters, not the entire thing, such as copy-path, or the like.

NVDA is reading these menus nicely.  If I can get my oldie to do it again, I'll probably go back to using that.

Sorry this got so long.

I'm so glad to have the input help-mode of nvda-1.  But some of these things I do not know how to style.  So I don't know how to ask NVDA the question.  I'll get my hands on a braille command doc to read on my braille devices, and I'll be off and running.


Thanks for bearing with me.

Penny Golden

Old lady Schoolmarm in Eastern Nebraska.

pengold2@...


Re: Task bar disappears after closing portable nvda

Quentin Christensen
 

If it's not happening on your uncle's computer, then that at least hopefully means what you were originally trying to do worked, so that's good!

I'm still not sure why the portable copy was misbehaving on your PC though.

On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 4:37 AM farhan israk <fahim.net.2014@...> wrote:

I have many addons. I have installed copy. However, I am using portable copy on my uncle's computer. I did not notice this behavior in my uncle's computer. I have not installed nvda in this computer.


On Tue, 10 May 2022, 6:13 am Quentin Christensen, <quentin@...> wrote:
I can't think of anything obvious - do you have any add-ons?  You mention you made a portable copy to take to your uncle - do you have NVDA installed, and if so, I assume that is NOT doing the same thing?

On Mon, May 9, 2022 at 4:28 AM farhan israk <fahim.net.2014@...> wrote:

Thank you. No, unless I restart windows explorer, task bar does not appear.


On Fri, 6 May 2022, 4:27 am Quentin Christensen, <quentin@...> wrote:
Hi Farhan,

I just tried here and can't immediately replicate it.  I have seen previously - unrelated to NVDA - where explorer crashes, the taskbar can disappear or appear empty for a little while.  I've found when this happens in Windows 10, it usually sorts itself out after a few seconds, although the open windows may be in a different order to where they were previously.  Could it be something like that?   Does the taskbar come back after say 10 or 20 seconds?

Quentin.

On Thu, May 5, 2022 at 8:12 PM farhan israk <fahim.net.2014@...> wrote:
I am using windows 10 21h2 and nvda 2021.3.5. I have noticed a strange issue. Suppose I have turned on portable copy to check that this copy is working properly or not after creating portable copy. I am going to visit my uncle's house tomorrow. So, I created a portable copy. If I exit the portable copy after confirming everything is working and turn on the standard or normal copy, the taskbar disappears. I neither can focus the task bar pressing windows + t nor pressing tab several times after focusing desktop. However, I have not verified by a sighted person. So, I cannot say strongly that it really disappears or nvda cannot focus on it. I have to restart windows explorer from the task manager to bring it back. I have noticed this strange issue two times.



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager


Re: MS Word

 

On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 05:01 PM, Nermin wrote:

If you're neither in the USA nor the UK, you can always use your smartphone, start Bee My Eyes, and choose "Microsoft Accessibility" from "Technical".

Support is only given in English.

-
Nermin,

Thanks very much for this information!  I had not known that this option had been added as one available internationally via Be My Eyes.

That will now be included when I direct individuals to Microsoft Accessibility. 
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

You can't crush ideas by suppressing them. You can only crush them by ignoring them.
     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed


Re: MS Word

Rosemarie Chavarria
 

Hi, Arleen,

 

The number for the Microsoft disability center is 1 800 936-5900.

 

Hope this helps.

 

Rosemarie

 

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Arlene
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2022 3:31 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] MS Word

 

Hi, You might want to call Microsoft access to get help. I don’t remember the number. Someone can direct you. I’m sure the disability department to Microsoft can help you.

 

Sent from Mail for Windows

 

From: AKH AKH
Sent: May 11, 2022 7:07 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] MS Word

 

I now get a message saying 'unlicenced product, when I try and open a

Word file. Will I be able to resolve this using NVDA as my screen

reader? I've found advice, on line,  telling me to go to control panel,

then programmes and select MS 360 and then click on repair. I can't find

the repair option, I can only find the uninstall. option.

 

Perhaps it is hidden from my view?

 

Any advice or experience please.

 

Andrew

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Re: MS Word

Arlene
 

Hi, You might want to call Microsoft access to get help. I don’t remember the number. Someone can direct you. I’m sure the disability department to Microsoft can help you.

 

Sent from Mail for Windows

 

From: AKH AKH
Sent: May 11, 2022 7:07 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] MS Word

 

I now get a message saying 'unlicenced product, when I try and open a

Word file. Will I be able to resolve this using NVDA as my screen

reader? I've found advice, on line,  telling me to go to control panel,

then programmes and select MS 360 and then click on repair. I can't find

the repair option, I can only find the uninstall. option.

 

Perhaps it is hidden from my view?

 

Any advice or experience please.

 

Andrew

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Re: MS Word

Nermin
 

Hi,

Brian wrote:


I strongly suggest reaching out to Microsoft Windows & Office Accessibility Support (US).  Pick your contact method from any one of the options on that page.  If your preference happens to be by phone, and you're in the USA, then (800) 936-5900.  If you are in the UK, see: UK Microsoft & Windows Accessibility Support Webpage.


If you're neither in the USA nor the UK, you can always use your smartphone, start Bee My Eyes, and choose "Microsoft Accessibility" from "Technical".

Support is only given in English.


Regards,

Nermin



Auto-Switching Between Language-Specific Speech Configurations

Bhavya shah
 

Dear all,

I am unequally familiar with different languages and therefore prefer
listening to them at varying speeds. Furthermore, I prefer to use
different speech synthesizers for different languages (say ESpeak-NG
for English, OneVoice for Spanish, perhaps Vocalizer for Hindi, etc.).
With NVDA's built-in facilities, as far as I am aware, the extent of
the on-the-fly customizability I have is: (a) altering speech rate
using the synth settings ring, and (b) enabling automatic language
switching to move between the different voices of the currently active
synthesizer. Of course, other settings can be changed using the
Settings dialog. Given this background, suppose I am consuming content
which contains text in more than one language (e.g. a textbook for
English speakers to learn Spanish). Since I care to understand all of
the text, I may use min{preferred speech rate for language1, preferred
speech rate for language2, ...}, meaning that I am listening to a lot
of text in the known language at excessively slow speeds.
Alternatively, I might use an add-on like SwitchSynth (or alter
settings each time) to manually toggle between preferred speech
configurations when I encounter a language, which is (i) somewhat
cumbersome, and (ii) often impractical when different languages appear
simultaneously (e.g. by being on the same line).

Is there some creative approach - configuration profiles, add-on, etc.
- for me to set language-specific speech configurations (the speaking
rate, the synth and its voice, etc.) in advance to which NVDA can
auto-switch when it detects text in that language?

I would greatly appreciate any tips and suggestions.

Kind Regards,
Bhavya Shah
B.S. in Mathematical and Computational Science | Stanford '24
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/bhavyashah125/


Re: Changing Symbol Pronunciation For Particular Language

Bhavya shah
 

Dear all,

Tyler, that makes a lot of sense in retrospect - I checked that option
and everything works as expected now. Many thanks!
Brian, I really appreciate the suggestion. Unfortunately, I deal with
Spanish in Word and Edge, which applications, of course, I use
extensively for non-Spanish tasks too.

Thanks.

On 5/11/22, Tyler Spivey via groups.io <tspivey@...> wrote:
Check Trust voice's language when processing characters and symbols in
the speech settings and try again.


On 5/11/2022 8:32 AM, Bhavya shah wrote:
Dear all,

I am hoping to change the pronunciation of several symbols when I am
using a Spanish voice (say Microsoft Pablo in case of OneVoice,
selecting Spanish in ESpeak-NG) for concision. Is there a way to do
this for a particular language without altering the symbol's
pronunciation universally? It seems like the Punctuation/symbol
pronunciation dialog can load in a language-specific manner (it shows
up with English in its title right now), but despite choosing a
Spanish voice, focusing on Spanish text before opening the dialog, and
turning off language switching, I am unable to load it for Spanish. As
a Spanish beginner, the full, verbose reporting of common symbols is
quite distracting and I would greatly benefit from customizing them
for brevity.

I would truly appreciate any suggestions and advice on this.

Kind Regards,
Bhavya Shah
B.S. in Mathematical and Computational Science | Stanford '24
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/bhavyashah125/








--
Kind Regards,
Bhavya Shah
B.S. in Mathematical and Computational Science | Stanford '24
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/bhavyashah125/


Re: Task bar disappears after closing portable nvda

farhan israk
 

I have many addons. I have installed copy. However, I am using portable copy on my uncle's computer. I did not notice this behavior in my uncle's computer. I have not installed nvda in this computer.


On Tue, 10 May 2022, 6:13 am Quentin Christensen, <quentin@...> wrote:
I can't think of anything obvious - do you have any add-ons?  You mention you made a portable copy to take to your uncle - do you have NVDA installed, and if so, I assume that is NOT doing the same thing?

On Mon, May 9, 2022 at 4:28 AM farhan israk <fahim.net.2014@...> wrote:

Thank you. No, unless I restart windows explorer, task bar does not appear.


On Fri, 6 May 2022, 4:27 am Quentin Christensen, <quentin@...> wrote:
Hi Farhan,

I just tried here and can't immediately replicate it.  I have seen previously - unrelated to NVDA - where explorer crashes, the taskbar can disappear or appear empty for a little while.  I've found when this happens in Windows 10, it usually sorts itself out after a few seconds, although the open windows may be in a different order to where they were previously.  Could it be something like that?   Does the taskbar come back after say 10 or 20 seconds?

Quentin.

On Thu, May 5, 2022 at 8:12 PM farhan israk <fahim.net.2014@...> wrote:
I am using windows 10 21h2 and nvda 2021.3.5. I have noticed a strange issue. Suppose I have turned on portable copy to check that this copy is working properly or not after creating portable copy. I am going to visit my uncle's house tomorrow. So, I created a portable copy. If I exit the portable copy after confirming everything is working and turn on the standard or normal copy, the taskbar disappears. I neither can focus the task bar pressing windows + t nor pressing tab several times after focusing desktop. However, I have not verified by a sighted person. So, I cannot say strongly that it really disappears or nvda cannot focus on it. I have to restart windows explorer from the task manager to bring it back. I have noticed this strange issue two times.



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager


Re: Changing Symbol Pronunciation For Particular Language

Tyler Spivey
 

Check Trust voice's language when processing characters and symbols in the speech settings and try again.

On 5/11/2022 8:32 AM, Bhavya shah wrote:
Dear all,
I am hoping to change the pronunciation of several symbols when I am
using a Spanish voice (say Microsoft Pablo in case of OneVoice,
selecting Spanish in ESpeak-NG) for concision. Is there a way to do
this for a particular language without altering the symbol's
pronunciation universally? It seems like the Punctuation/symbol
pronunciation dialog can load in a language-specific manner (it shows
up with English in its title right now), but despite choosing a
Spanish voice, focusing on Spanish text before opening the dialog, and
turning off language switching, I am unable to load it for Spanish. As
a Spanish beginner, the full, verbose reporting of common symbols is
quite distracting and I would greatly benefit from customizing them
for brevity.
I would truly appreciate any suggestions and advice on this.
Kind Regards,
Bhavya Shah
B.S. in Mathematical and Computational Science | Stanford '24
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/bhavyashah125/


Re: MS Word

AKH AKH
 

I do have a key, but I can't get to it on the screen, I will have to get sighted help.

Andrew


On 11/05/2022 17:20, mr Krit Kumar kedia wrote:
Hello,
I would like to ask you, weather you have  the lisence  key for MS office where in you cann type it or you are using it without the key?

thank you,
Krit
diving into the world of tech!

On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 8:12 PM Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:
I think in my case I just ran the installer again  but I cannot recall now.  It's been a while, about a year since I have had to do an office repair.  And boy was it hair pulling as it didn't actually resolve the issue. I had to run a differen tool found in office. The process though was accessible.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of AKH AKH
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2022 7:08 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] MS Word

I now get a message saying 'unlicenced product, when I try and open a Word file. Will I be able to resolve this using NVDA as my screen reader? I've found advice, on line,  telling me to go to control panel, then programmes and select MS 360 and then click on repair. I can't find the repair option, I can only find the uninstall. option.

Perhaps it is hidden from my view?

Any advice or experience please.

Andrew














Re: Changing Symbol Pronunciation For Particular Language

 

I can think of a couple of possible options.  If you are using the same software when dealing with Spanish, which you do not use when using other languages, could you set this up in a configuration profile?  Or you could use the NVDA Add-On, Application Dictionary, similarly and perhaps with greater ease.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

You can't crush ideas by suppressing them. You can only crush them by ignoring them.
     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed


Re: MS Word

 

On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 10:07 AM, AKH AKH wrote:
Any advice or experience please.
-
If you so happen to be in the USA or UK, I strongly suggest reaching out to Microsoft Windows & Office Accessibility Support (US).  Pick your contact method from any one of the options on that page.  If your preference happens to be by phone, and you're in the USA, then (800) 936-5900.  If you are in the UK, see: UK Microsoft & Windows Accessibility Support Webpage.

 

I have generally found the fastest way to get licensing issues resolved is by "going straight to the source" when that option exists, particularly when it exists at no cost.

And for the record, this is another example of something that has no direct tie to NVDA at all.  It's a licensing issue with Microsoft Office, pure and simple.  The exact same steps to resolution, whatever they may end up being, will be taken regardless of your screen reader of choice. 

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

You can't crush ideas by suppressing them. You can only crush them by ignoring them.
     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed

3181 - 3200 of 98244