Date   

Re: Man or woman. really strange.

Gene
 

It could be NVDA announcing this if an emoji is being used.  I checked and NVDA does have the announcement man for an emoji of just a man and woman for an emoji of just a woman.  Since the emoji NVDA  is aware of and will announce is expanded over time in new versions, it may well be that the old version you were using wasn't aware of those emoji.



Also, too expand the topic, you may come across web sites where you hear shapes and information about shapes announced that is very distracting.

I have come across web sites where a shape is used for emphasis, as a bullet would be.  So you may be reading a number of points and hear, right pointing triangle stated repeatedly before a point begins or a number of words, filled right pointing  triangle, then some more words, then the same shape, etc.  Depending on what the page is using, you may hear various shapes announced in this distracting way. 

I won't go into how you stop it, because you have to change a setting for any shape you hear and the general method of how you do this is beyond the scope of the discussion.  But if you come across something and you want to stop it, if you ask here, I will tell you or someone else may.

Gene.

On 5/17/2022 6:02 PM, Luke Robinett wrote:
Hi Penny,

Yes, that makes sense. People can specify how they would like to be referred to and perhaps that’s what it’s picking up on. Not sure why you’re worried about controversy etc. as I don’t see anything negative in this thread. Maybe you were talking about something else. Cheers

On May 17, 2022, at 2:39 PM, Penny Golden <pengold2@...> wrote:

First off, i was warned, or we all were, that this is off-topic.

So I feel like I really just ought to get off the list, for it was my fault that this got brought up.

I figured it was from NVDA, since that evening I had installed a much newer version of NVDA, and that is when it came up.

I am sure that when people set up those accounts, they are asked gender.  I have no idea what was up there; i just heard the word man or woman.  And I figured it had to do with the fact that I was running a newer version of the NVDA.

Well, I hate to upset the apple cart, and we were warned to keep off this topic.


If you only knew what a law-abidin' citizen I really am. I hate list controversy.

Let's try not to talk about this. someone hates it.




On 5/17/2022 3:33 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
Penny Golden wrote:

This was audio only; i wonder not only how it makes the designations, but why it does.
When you setup your account, does it ask your gender or some other kind of m/f/other identification?

That would be how it knows.

Is it using an Emoji of a man or a woman, or the actual words?

NVDA is capable of speaking Emoji, but I don't run into them enough online to remember how they are announced.

Luke













Re: Man or woman. really strange.

Luke Robinett
 

Just a casual observer of the original thread here so I don’t really have a horse in this race, but it seemed like the question was asked to determine if it was NVDA related or not. I can understand reserving some topics for those other forums when it’s known that it isn’t specifically NVDA related, but we can also probably give folks the benefit of the doubt too. Not all users are necessarily technically savvy enough to make that distinction on their own. Cheers

On May 17, 2022, at 12:04 PM, Jason Bratcher <imcoocoo@...> wrote:

Before I get banned from this list,
this topic should have either gone to NVDAChat or WindowsAccess, not here since it doesn't impact the way NVDA behaves.
TeamTalk's what you're talking about;
There's ao option to show graphics next to names of people,
i.e. gender, microphone, etc.
People,
Please Watch Where Your Topics Go.
Brian Can't Stress that enough.
I think that oughta be enough!
Jason Bratcher





Re: Man or woman. really strange.

Luke Robinett
 

Hi Penny,

Yes, that makes sense. People can specify how they would like to be referred to and perhaps that’s what it’s picking up on. Not sure why you’re worried about controversy etc. as I don’t see anything negative in this thread. Maybe you were talking about something else. Cheers

On May 17, 2022, at 2:39 PM, Penny Golden <pengold2@...> wrote:

First off, i was warned, or we all were, that this is off-topic.

So I feel like I really just ought to get off the list, for it was my fault that this got brought up.

I figured it was from NVDA, since that evening I had installed a much newer version of NVDA, and that is when it came up.

I am sure that when people set up those accounts, they are asked gender. I have no idea what was up there; i just heard the word man or woman. And I figured it had to do with the fact that I was running a newer version of the NVDA.

Well, I hate to upset the apple cart, and we were warned to keep off this topic.


If you only knew what a law-abidin' citizen I really am. I hate list controversy.

Let's try not to talk about this. someone hates it.




On 5/17/2022 3:33 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
Penny Golden wrote:

This was audio only; i wonder not only how it makes the designations, but why it does.
When you setup your account, does it ask your gender or some other kind of m/f/other identification?

That would be how it knows.

Is it using an Emoji of a man or a woman, or the actual words?

NVDA is capable of speaking Emoji, but I don't run into them enough online to remember how they are announced.

Luke






nvda installed 3 add-ons question

marinos.poulimas
 

Hello, I am Marinos from Greece.
I apologize my English is not very good I will try in simple words to ask for help for two problems I have in nvda.
installed 3 add-ons question 1 the two add-ons are compatible and work but have the same key combination to do the job.
how can the key combination in one of the two add-ons be changed ???
is exactly the same combination.
question 2 in which upgrade the additional lion.
where is to read the subtitles in which upgrade of nvda does not work ???
or operating normally ???
and no problem Thank you.
Finally I would like to ask some extras are in English.
how could i help translate greek language ???

Thanks for everything.


Re: Man or woman. really strange.

Robert Doc Wright godfearer
 

Penny, in the later version of teamTalk it does announce the gender of the person. You set it in preferences.It is the very next tab after your name. ,

On 5/17/2022 11:05 AM, Penny Golden wrote:
This was audio only; i wonder not only how it makes the designations, but why it does.

In any event, once we go to the win 11 machine, maybe things will change, and most certainly they will; my thick head of hair may get lots thinner lots faster.



On 5/17/2022 11:58 AM, Luke Robinett wrote:
Oh wow. That could get very dicey very quickly depending on peoples gender identities lol. Funny anecdote though. I wonder how it makes those determinations?

On May 16, 2022, at 7:27 PM, Penny Golden <pengold2@...> wrote:


I upgraded to a newer version of NVDA.  But I am also going to upgrade the computer in a few days. Nevertheless, listen to this one.

We use a talk-client, I forget the name.  But it's really well-known.  I used it with Win-eyes, and with the 2015 NVDA. Tonight I went to the I C C, and there were five in the meeting.

Before it would list the name and wouldn't say anything, unless, perhaps, Penny, Away.

Now for each, it told me whether they were Man or Woman.

Betsy, Man; Jack, Man; Lenore, Woman; Marsha, Man; Penny, Man.

Has anyone seen such interesting behavior?

It sure doesn't matter, since no one else sees this.  It's just my NVDA that does it. But I'm upgrading to a new computer; so I'll probably just have new questions for you then.


Best,

Penny












--
******
Sometimes I think I understand everything, and then I regain consciousness.
---------
Family Times theatre
http://familytimes.wrighthere.net:9244/stream
or ask your smart speaker to play family times on tune-in


Re: Man or woman. really strange.

Penny Golden <pengold2@...>
 

First off, i was warned, or we all were, that this is off-topic.

So I feel like I really just ought to get off the list, for it was my fault that this got brought up.

I figured it was from NVDA, since that evening I had installed a much newer version of NVDA, and that is when it came up.

I am sure that when people set up those accounts, they are asked gender.  I have no idea what was up there; i just heard the word man or woman.  And I figured it had to do with the fact that I was running a newer version of the NVDA.

Well, I hate to upset the apple cart, and we were warned to keep off this topic.


If you only knew what a law-abidin' citizen I really am. I hate list controversy.

Let's try not to talk about this. someone hates it.

On 5/17/2022 3:33 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
Penny Golden wrote:

This was audio only; i wonder not only how it makes the designations, but why it does.
When you setup your account, does it ask your gender or some other kind of m/f/other identification?

That would be how it knows.

Is it using an Emoji of a man or a woman, or the actual words?

NVDA is capable of speaking Emoji, but I don't run into them enough online to remember how they are announced.

Luke


Re: Man or woman. really strange.

Luke Davis
 

Penny Golden wrote:

This was audio only; i wonder not only how it makes the designations, but why it does.
When you setup your account, does it ask your gender or some other kind of m/f/other identification?

That would be how it knows.

Is it using an Emoji of a man or a woman, or the actual words?

NVDA is capable of speaking Emoji, but I don't run into them enough online to remember how they are announced.

Luke


Re: Man or woman. really strange.

Jason Bratcher
 

Before I get banned from this list,
this topic should have either gone to NVDAChat or WindowsAccess, not here since it doesn't impact the way NVDA behaves.
TeamTalk's what you're talking about;
There's ao option to show graphics next to names of people,
i.e. gender, microphone, etc.
People,
Please Watch Where Your Topics Go.
Brian Can't Stress that enough.
I think that oughta be enough!
Jason Bratcher


locked Re: Trouble with Groups.io

 

On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 01:23 PM, Gene wrote:
The account is not fully created because no password has been created.
-
This topic is now locked, as it really has exhausted its purpose.

Gene, I quoted what you said.  And you are wrong, pure and simple, in regards to groups.io.  A groups.io account is fully established as soon as a subscription has occurred and all of the "yes, I really meant to" links you receive are activated.  Many people never establish a password or web access.  Those two things are completely separate from the account itself.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

You can't crush ideas by suppressing them. You can only crush them by ignoring them.
     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed


locked Re: Trouble with Groups.io

Sarah k Alawami
 

Interesting, I’ve never set a password for groups.io. I just have them email me a link, I click it, and it logs me in, or, I log in via google and it does the rest. Iv’e been using them since 2016 and for me this is how it has always been, and  hopefully will stay.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2022 10:15 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Trouble with Groups.io

 

Sarah,


That is incorrect with regard to groups.io unless something has changed radically.  You are required to establish a password for website access on activation of the link sent.

Now, you can remain logged in under any given browser for a long time after having logged in.  I use the web interface almost exclusively and can't remember the last time I actually had to log in.  My session cookie lasts for months, that's for certain if I don't intentionally log out.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

You can't crush ideas by suppressing them. You can only crush them by ignoring them.
     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed


locked Re: Trouble with Groups.io

Sarah k Alawami
 

Actually,  it is.  I’ve seen “log in using google, facebook, etc. or you can just enter your email and log in via link, no pwd needed.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2022 10:10 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Trouble with Groups.io

 

I am not familiar with SSO.  Usually, when I login somewhere that allows you to sign in using Google, that is presented as an option on the login page itself.  No such option is present on the Groups.io login page.

I don't know if Dave can create an account.  I believe a verification e-mail is sent to your mail address.  If the login messages are going to spam, which Dave for some reason isn't seeing, perhaps the verification message will, too.  If your method will allow him to sign in and avoid that possible problem, that may be important to try.

Gene

On 5/17/2022 11:48 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Actually I don’t use a password for groups.io, never have. I just sign in using SSO from google.  It works a lot better IMHO.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2022 8:56 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Trouble with Groups.io

 

I'm not writing this to give you a hard time, but you do need to finish setting up your account.  It isn't a question of how often you use the site.  You regularly use the groups and without a password, you cannot efficiently ddeal with problems even if they occur rarely. 

It is no more difficult finishing signing up than it is for any other typical site.  You evidently were bouncing.  I haven't had enough bouncing problems to recall just what needs to be done.  I think that if you have been bouncing, there is one unbounce link you work with to unbounce your account, not every list separately.  If you were bouncing, you should have gotten an unbounce link.  If you don't see one either in your regular mail or in your spam filter, I believe you can unbounce yourself in the your account which you need to be signed in to access.

I think even using the unbounce link requires you to sign into your account to be unbounced  once you follow it.

Gene

On 5/17/2022 9:49 AM, Dave Grossoehme wrote:

Hi:  I know this should be on the chat group, but I have had a problem with my email.  I didn't receive messages for about 24 hours.  I had my son's help to get messages back for the nvda email, otherwise I wouldn't be writing this message.  I am questioning if I have been blocked out of my email address for that reason from groups.  I can't even get a link sent to me to get on the groups.io.  I don't use the groups.io web site enough to have a password for them.  Can anyone help here, as far as a hint to get to where I can resubscribe to the group emails that I have been on from groups.io for several years?

Dave







.

 

 


locked Re: Trouble with Groups.io

Gene
 

There are all sorts of list serves that you can subscribe by e-mail to a group on and have no account.  I didn't say you don't have an account.  But you need to either set up a password or use the links you are trying to use to access it.

It may be that Brian is correct and that technical support should be contacted. 

Gene

On 5/17/2022 12:28 PM, Dave Grossoehme wrote:

If that is so, why was I receiving messages Saturday morning and up until 2 o'clock Saturday afternoon.  Then we made some changes in the family hosting server.  Then I did not receive messatges.  You don't have to use a password, or you couldn't just use your email to subscribe to one of these email lists that are in groups.io.

Dave


On 5/17/2022 1:23 PM, Gene wrote:
The account is not fully created because no password has been created.

Gene

On 5/17/2022 12:19 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 01:10 PM, Gene wrote:
I don't know if Dave can create an account
To be clear, if you have subscribed successfully using a given email address to any groups.io group an account is already established with that email address being the login ID for the account.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

You can't crush ideas by suppressing them. You can only crush them by ignoring them.
     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed




locked Re: Trouble with Groups.io

Dave Grossoehme
 

Thanks Brian.  I guess I had my hat on wrong at this time.  I agree 100% here.  I just dug into one idea and not all of them.  Thank you again.  I was hunting for a contact, but not in the right way.  I appreciate the help anyway.

Dave


On 5/17/2022 1:24 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Dave,

There are times, and this is one of them, when direct contact with a service provider's tech support makes the most sense.  Support@groups.io
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

You can't crush ideas by suppressing them. You can only crush them by ignoring them.
     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed


locked Re: Trouble with Groups.io

Dave Grossoehme
 

If that is so, why was I receiving messages Saturday morning and up until 2 o'clock Saturday afternoon.  Then we made some changes in the family hosting server.  Then I did not receive messatges.  You don't have to use a password, or you couldn't just use your email to subscribe to one of these email lists that are in groups.io.

Dave


On 5/17/2022 1:23 PM, Gene wrote:
The account is not fully created because no password has been created.

Gene

On 5/17/2022 12:19 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 01:10 PM, Gene wrote:
I don't know if Dave can create an account
To be clear, if you have subscribed successfully using a given email address to any groups.io group an account is already established with that email address being the login ID for the account.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

You can't crush ideas by suppressing them. You can only crush them by ignoring them.
     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed



locked Re: Trouble with Groups.io

 

Gene, you're wrong.  The account is fully created the moment anyone subscribes.  No password for web access is established, but the account absolutely is.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

You can't crush ideas by suppressing them. You can only crush them by ignoring them.
     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed


locked Re: Trouble with Groups.io

 

Dave,

There are times, and this is one of them, when direct contact with a service provider's tech support makes the most sense.  Support@groups.io
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

You can't crush ideas by suppressing them. You can only crush them by ignoring them.
     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed


locked Re: Trouble with Groups.io

Dave Grossoehme
 

Imap.

Dave


On 5/17/2022 1:22 PM, Gene wrote:
Do you have an IMAP  account or a POP 3 account.  If you have a POP3 account, you are seeing spam your e-mail program is placing in spam.  Your provider may be placing messages in the spam folder in your online account that you will only see if you look in your spam folder online.  The spam that is placed in the online spam folder will never be downloaded to your e-mail program.

Gene

On 5/17/2022 12:16 PM, Dave Grossoehme wrote:

Hi:  I see my spam bright and clear.  A lot of my messages are still going into spam or what is called junk after the break of the system this last weekend.  I'm clicking on the send a link 3 times as of now, which the first time was around 10 o'clock this morning.  That is why I ask the question on the list's.  The link is good for 24 hours after it comes, of which is suppose to come within seconds according to the site of groups.io.  In which case it is not nice to claim something for assumption when you don't.  That is one of the worst things you can do in the computer world.

Dave


On 5/17/2022 1:09 PM, Gene wrote:
I am not familiar with SSO.  Usually, when I login somewhere that allows you to sign in using Google, that is presented as an option on the login page itself.  No such option is present on the Groups.io login page.

I don't know if Dave can create an account.  I believe a verification e-mail is sent to your mail address.  If the login messages are going to spam, which Dave for some reason isn't seeing, perhaps the verification message will, too.  If your method will allow him to sign in and avoid that possible problem, that may be important to try.

Gene
On 5/17/2022 11:48 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Actually I don’t use a password for groups.io, never have. I just sign in using SSO from google.  It works a lot better IMHO.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2022 8:56 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Trouble with Groups.io

 

I'm not writing this to give you a hard time, but you do need to finish setting up your account.  It isn't a question of how often you use the site.  You regularly use the groups and without a password, you cannot efficiently ddeal with problems even if they occur rarely. 

It is no more difficult finishing signing up than it is for any other typical site.  You evidently were bouncing.  I haven't had enough bouncing problems to recall just what needs to be done.  I think that if you have been bouncing, there is one unbounce link you work with to unbounce your account, not every list separately.  If you were bouncing, you should have gotten an unbounce link.  If you don't see one either in your regular mail or in your spam filter, I believe you can unbounce yourself in the your account which you need to be signed in to access.

I think even using the unbounce link requires you to sign into your account to be unbounced  once you follow it.

Gene

On 5/17/2022 9:49 AM, Dave Grossoehme wrote:

Hi:  I know this should be on the chat group, but I have had a problem with my email.  I didn't receive messages for about 24 hours.  I had my son's help to get messages back for the nvda email, otherwise I wouldn't be writing this message.  I am questioning if I have been blocked out of my email address for that reason from groups.  I can't even get a link sent to me to get on the groups.io.  I don't use the groups.io web site enough to have a password for them.  Can anyone help here, as far as a hint to get to where I can resubscribe to the group emails that I have been on from groups.io for several years?

Dave







.

 




locked Re: Trouble with Groups.io

Gene
 

The account is not fully created because no password has been created.

Gene

On 5/17/2022 12:19 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 01:10 PM, Gene wrote:
I don't know if Dave can create an account
To be clear, if you have subscribed successfully using a given email address to any groups.io group an account is already established with that email address being the login ID for the account.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

You can't crush ideas by suppressing them. You can only crush them by ignoring them.
     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed



locked Re: Trouble with Groups.io

Gene
 

Do you have an IMAP  account or a POP 3 account.  If you have a POP3 account, you are seeing spam your e-mail program is placing in spam.  Your provider may be placing messages in the spam folder in your online account that you will only see if you look in your spam folder online.  The spam that is placed in the online spam folder will never be downloaded to your e-mail program.

Gene

On 5/17/2022 12:16 PM, Dave Grossoehme wrote:

Hi:  I see my spam bright and clear.  A lot of my messages are still going into spam or what is called junk after the break of the system this last weekend.  I'm clicking on the send a link 3 times as of now, which the first time was around 10 o'clock this morning.  That is why I ask the question on the list's.  The link is good for 24 hours after it comes, of which is suppose to come within seconds according to the site of groups.io.  In which case it is not nice to claim something for assumption when you don't.  That is one of the worst things you can do in the computer world.

Dave


On 5/17/2022 1:09 PM, Gene wrote:
I am not familiar with SSO.  Usually, when I login somewhere that allows you to sign in using Google, that is presented as an option on the login page itself.  No such option is present on the Groups.io login page.

I don't know if Dave can create an account.  I believe a verification e-mail is sent to your mail address.  If the login messages are going to spam, which Dave for some reason isn't seeing, perhaps the verification message will, too.  If your method will allow him to sign in and avoid that possible problem, that may be important to try.

Gene
On 5/17/2022 11:48 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Actually I don’t use a password for groups.io, never have. I just sign in using SSO from google.  It works a lot better IMHO.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2022 8:56 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Trouble with Groups.io

 

I'm not writing this to give you a hard time, but you do need to finish setting up your account.  It isn't a question of how often you use the site.  You regularly use the groups and without a password, you cannot efficiently ddeal with problems even if they occur rarely. 

It is no more difficult finishing signing up than it is for any other typical site.  You evidently were bouncing.  I haven't had enough bouncing problems to recall just what needs to be done.  I think that if you have been bouncing, there is one unbounce link you work with to unbounce your account, not every list separately.  If you were bouncing, you should have gotten an unbounce link.  If you don't see one either in your regular mail or in your spam filter, I believe you can unbounce yourself in the your account which you need to be signed in to access.

I think even using the unbounce link requires you to sign into your account to be unbounced  once you follow it.

Gene

On 5/17/2022 9:49 AM, Dave Grossoehme wrote:

Hi:  I know this should be on the chat group, but I have had a problem with my email.  I didn't receive messages for about 24 hours.  I had my son's help to get messages back for the nvda email, otherwise I wouldn't be writing this message.  I am questioning if I have been blocked out of my email address for that reason from groups.  I can't even get a link sent to me to get on the groups.io.  I don't use the groups.io web site enough to have a password for them.  Can anyone help here, as far as a hint to get to where I can resubscribe to the group emails that I have been on from groups.io for several years?

Dave







.

 




locked Re: Trouble with Groups.io

 

On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 01:10 PM, Gene wrote:
I don't know if Dave can create an account
To be clear, if you have subscribed successfully using a given email address to any groups.io group an account is already established with that email address being the login ID for the account.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

You can't crush ideas by suppressing them. You can only crush them by ignoring them.
     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed

4201 - 4220 of 99499