Date   

Re: Working with NVDA and LastPass in Chrome Browser

Sam Bushman
 

How do you use the context key - when do you press it and where do you need to be first?

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike Sedmak
Sent: Friday, August 2, 2019 10:52 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Working with NVDA and LastPass in Chrome Browser

You can also get to the extension by using object navigation. Use F6 to get to the address bar. Then use NVDA+NUmPad6 to move to the next object until you find the "extensions grouping".
Use NVDA+NumPad2 to move into the grouping Then use NVDA+NUmPad6 to move to the next item until you find the lastpass object.
Then use NVDA+NumPadEnter to activate the lastpass object.

That all said, most of the time the context menu is a much easier/faster way of accessing lastpass functionality in the browser.

Mike

On 8/2/19, Hope Williamson <hopeisjoyful@gmail.com> wrote:
I've found that when working with most extensions, it's via the
context menu. Obviously that isn't always the case. For instance some
ad blockers require you to go into the browser's add-ons manager to
set their options.




latest development snapshot

mattias
 

Is not possible to download

NVDA says there is a update

 

Skickades från E-post för Windows 10

 


Re: Working with NVDA and LastPass in Chrome Browser

Mike Sedmak
 

You can also get to the extension by using object navigation. Use F6
to get to the address bar. Then use NVDA+NUmPad6 to move to the next
object until you find the "extensions grouping".
Use NVDA+NumPad2 to move into the grouping
Then use NVDA+NUmPad6 to move to the next item until you find the
lastpass object.
Then use NVDA+NumPadEnter to activate the lastpass object.

That all said, most of the time the context menu is a much
easier/faster way of accessing lastpass functionality in the browser.

Mike

On 8/2/19, Hope Williamson <hopeisjoyful@gmail.com> wrote:
I've found that when working with most extensions, it's via the context
menu. Obviously that isn't always the case. For instance some ad
blockers require you to go into the browser's add-ons manager to set
their options.




Re: begin and end links with braille display

Gene
 

Using a Braille display, what does NVDA do when use screen layout if supported is turned off?  Do linkks all appear on their own lines?  I don't use a Braille display but your notation sounds cluttered to me.
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, August 02, 2019 10:24 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] begin and end links with braille display

jaws uses dots 7 and 8 to underline links. But this is not practical if using a six-dot-only display such as the braille me. I recommend instead begin the link with dots 1-2-3-4-5-6, lnk, and end the link with two full cells or dots 1-2-3-4-5-6, 1-2-3-4-5-6. 


Re: begin and end links with braille display

Josh Kennedy
 

jaws uses dots 7 and 8 to underline links. But this is not practical if using a six-dot-only display such as the braille me. I recommend instead begin the link with dots 1-2-3-4-5-6, lnk, and end the link with two full cells or dots 1-2-3-4-5-6, 1-2-3-4-5-6. 


Re: code factory voices addon

Josh Kennedy
 

not sure. I hope so. But I just bought both codeFactory eloquence vocalizer nvda-addon license, and vocalizer sapi5 license, and I am patiently waiting for my license keys to arrive. I already own two sapi5 eloquence keys, and I back up my important order information onto google drive so I do not lose it. I bought sapi5 vocalizer so I can have some good voices for audio games. But I am on a tablet with limited storage so when I install vocalizer voices I will install the smaller voices which are about 60mb per voice, rather than the full voice which is around 300mb per voice. 

Josh


Re: NVDA modifier key and Words+ EZ Keys

Gabbert, Darren <gabbertd@...>
 

Tyler,

You be the man! I installed the addon and I can get the insert and capslock to work as the NVDA key through EZ Keys. This is a huge breakthrough for me. Thanks!

Darren

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tyler Spivey
Sent: Thursday, August 1, 2019 7:35 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA modifier key and Words+ EZ Keys

Interestingly enough, that autohotkey script is working here under Windows 10. For some reason it doesn't work for you, so I came up with something else.

I wrote an addon that makes NVDA think sticky keys is enabled, which triggers the code that gives you a sticky modifier key, and only affects NVDA.

Download this addon and install it. Once done, whatever keys you have checked as modifiers in keyboard settings will stick for one press.
You should then be able to tell EZ Keys to press caps lock or insert, then press t to read the window title. NVDA should beep when you press the modifier.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bc10qxbesqxf91p/stickyModifier-0.1.nvda-addon?dl=1

On 8/1/2019 4:36 PM, Gabbert, Darren wrote:
I did check, and "Handle keys from other applications" is checked.

Here is the autohotkeys script...

*`::
if (toggle := !toggle)
Send, {Insert Down}
else
Send, {Insert Up}
ToolTip % "Insert key is " (GetKeyState("Insert")=1 ? "Down" : "Up")
Return

I remapped the ` key simply because it is essentially available. When I trigger the ` key, I get the ToolTip showing "Insert key is Down." And triggering again, the ToolTip will show "Insert key is Up." But when I load NVDA and then trigger the ` key, the ToolTip always shows "Insert key is up." In other words, with NVDA loaded, the autohotkeys script no longer toggles holding down the Insert key.

Thanks for the continued help with this...

Darren

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tyler
Spivey
Sent: Thursday, August 1, 2019 5:07 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA modifier key and Words+ EZ Keys

Questions:
1. Does EZ Keys let you press caps lock or insert, just not hold them down?
If it does, Windows sticky keys will work with NVDA to hold down the modifier.
2. Does it let you hold down any other keys? If so, I've got an addon somewhere which should be easily modifiable to let you do that.
As an example, does it give you the ability to hold down left alt or right alt independently? If so, you could use one for an alt key and the other for an NVDA modifier.
If none of these ideas will work, what does it let you do?
Make sure that, when you're testing your autohotkey script, you have "Handle keys from other applications" checked in NVDA's keyboard settings. If you don't, then NVDA won't see the injected key.
If you send that script, I might be able to test over here and figure out what breaks. Using it with a keyboard should also have the same problem.

On 8/1/2019 2:24 PM, Gabbert, Darren wrote:
I am a long time single switch scanning user of Word+ EZ Keys. I'm
trying to also use NVDA for screen reader capabilities. My problem is
using the NVDA modifier key from my scanning software. There is no
direct way to "hold down" the Insert or Capslock from EZ Keys. I am
trying to use Autohotkeys to simulate holding down the Insert, but
the key doesn't work once I load NVDA.


Does anyone have suggestions for remapping the NVDA modifier key to
something like Alt-0 or something?

Thanks!

Darren Gabbert's signature 3

*/Darren Gabbert
Sr. Business Operations Associate
Adaptive Computing Technology Center
University of Missouri Division of IT
N-17 Memorial Union
Columbia, MO 65211
Phone: (573) 673-5629
Fax:  (314) 594-9909
/**/Darren@Missouri.edu/* <mailto:Darren@Missouri.edu> Division of IT
Logo







Re: NVDA and gold wave

Roger Stewart
 

With the Goldwave add on running, these are announced automatically. When you set the start and end markers, the time is announced and if you pause playback, the time where the play position is will be announced.
Roger











On 8/1/2019 4:01 PM, Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io wrote:

hi group
 
gold wave and NVDA add ons
 
1. how to get the time in the selection
2. how to get the time where the start marker is at
3. how to get the time where the finish marker is at
4. does it have tutorial with gold wave with NVDA
thanks
 
kerryn
 



Re: Working with NVDA and LastPass in Chrome Browser

Hope Williamson <hopeisjoyful@...>
 

I've found that when working with most extensions, it's via the context menu. Obviously that isn't always the case. For instance some ad blockers require you to go into the browser's add-ons manager to set their options.


Re: Working with NVDA and LastPass in Chrome Browser

Sam Bushman
 

I just don't know how to bring up the software.
I will try the context menu.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Hope Williamson
Sent: Friday, August 2, 2019 5:49 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Working with NVDA and LastPass in Chrome Browser

I'm not using Chrome right now. However, the way I do it is from the context menu. Is there a reason that won't work in Chrome?

On 8/1/19, Sam Bushman <libertyroundtable@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi All,



How can we access the LastPass Icon with NVDA? Is there a hot key or a
way to interact with lastpass?



Thanks so much,

Sam







Re: Working with NVDA and LastPass in Chrome Browser

Hope Williamson <hopeisjoyful@...>
 

I'm not using Chrome right now. However, the way I do it is from the
context menu. Is there a reason that won't work in Chrome?

On 8/1/19, Sam Bushman <libertyroundtable@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi All,



How can we access the LastPass Icon with NVDA? Is there a hot key or a way
to interact with lastpass?



Thanks so much,

Sam







please shairing idea about nvda adding dictionary

aikeo koomanivong
 

Hi all NVDA users

I’m KEO from Lao PDR

Today just would like to ask about editing NVDA dictionary idea from you guys

It’s not good to do but just for work purposes

I’m using NVDA with vocalizer and using English Thai

I’m trying to adding NVDA dictionary for Lao character by replaced with Thai character

Thai and Lao based on similar spoken, similar language character and similar spelling but difference on fonts Unicode.

For my results, it was good result but I still facing some issues such as:

  1. NVDA doesn’t spoke out character by character while typing or pressing arrows key but it speak when reading word by word or line by line.
  2. Sometime Thai and Lao difference on spelling and I was try to edit word by word in the NVDA dictionary but it didn’t work.

 

There are Default dictionary.., Temporary dictionary.. and Temporary dictionary.. but most I worked with default dictionary

 

So just simple questions, do you have any idea about these issues

Regards

KEO

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


Re: NVDA and "Skip Ad" button on youtube

Quentin Christensen
 

Maybe YouTube is putting more rubbish on the screen?  I'm not sure, as I say I have a subscription so don't usually get ads.  I could definitely find it when I logged out and played videos, although yes, you have to trudge past a few things to find it.  The best workaround I can suggest is a YouTube premium (or YouTube Music, or whatever they're calling it this week) subscription.



On Fri, Aug 2, 2019 at 7:23 PM Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@...> wrote:

Hi.  I am aware of all that, but the "skip ad" button has been relatively harder to detect lately, hence my post.

On 8/1/2019 6:30 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
I just tried, and I can find the button, pretty much exactly the same ways as in Firefox.

Note that YouTube has a few different ways of showing ads.  The ones which have the "Skip ad" button, tend to be ones which play for five seconds or so first (with a count down timer where the Skip Ad button would be) before the Skip Ad button is shown.  If you are quick off the mark, and try to find the button before this point, you may not be able to.

The ads in this case are often a couple of minutes long.  YouTube sometimes shows other ads which are 30 seconds or so, and for some of these ads, it doesn't offer a facility to skip the ad, but rather shows a message saying that your video will play (or resume) after the ad.  In that case there is no Skip ad button either.

Are you sure the ads you are seeing do in fact have skip ad buttons?

I didn't try with NVDA 2019.1.1, but only NVDA 2019.2 rc1, I'm not sure if that makes a difference of the top of my head: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2019-2rc1-released/

I was using Chrome Version 75.0.3770.142 (Official Build) (64-bit) I noticed when I just checked that it decided there was an update, but I don't think this build was that old.

Regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 7:31 PM Dejan Ristic <r.dejan83@...> wrote:

Hi,


What I've faced so far?


If I wish NVDA to recognize the skip ad button, I switch to the focus mode and tab and/or shift tab to find and activate the button, for there are cases when NVDA does not recognize the very button we're talking about when in the browse mode.


Dejan

On 01/08/2019 10:23, Jaffar Sidek wrote:

Hi Quentin.  I have been using Chrome for quite a while and so i can't tell you if Chrome is the culprit or not since  the button is still seen by  JFW.  For me at least, NVDA seems to no longer read the button correctly since the early 2019 version, so if it was a chrome or youtube update, won't JFW face the same issue then?  The "Clickable" word to me is not an issue for me right now as I depend upon it to tell me that I am on the "Skip ad" button.  Cheers.

On 8/1/2019 2:19 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
Hi Jaffar,

Can you confirm whether the issue is with newer versions of NVDA, or recent updates to YouTube (or your browser)?

Looking at YouTube in FireFox 68.0.1 with NVDA 2019.2rc1, I can see a "Clickable skip ad" button when there is an ad showing.  You can either get to it with tab or b (or shift+tab or shift+b), or you can do an NVDA search for "skip" is usually enough to find it.

For the "clickable" part, if you don't want clickable announced, you can turn that off in NVDA's document settings (NVDA+control+d)

I must admit, I have a YouTube subscription so I haven't seen ads in awhile to know if that behaviour has changed lately.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 3:52 PM Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@...> wrote:
Hi.  Not so long ago, with the previous versions, the "Skip ad" button
on youtube could be read by NVDA.  Now however, the newer versions of
NVDA seem to read that particular button just as "Clickable".  It is
rather unfortunate that one has to navigate to the slider which allows
us to skip a video back or forward, then arrow up to the "clickable"
button immediately above the slider to activate it.  The "Skip ad"
button is still recognized by JFW as usual.  Perhaps I am missing
something?  Just letting the NVDA team know.  Cheers!






--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

NVDA 2019.2 RC 1 now available!


Virus-free. www.avast.com


--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

NVDA 2019.2 RC 1 now available!



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

NVDA 2019.2 RC 1 now available!


Re: NVDA and "Skip Ad" button on youtube

Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@...>
 

Hi.  I am aware of all that, but the "skip ad" button has been relatively harder to detect lately, hence my post.

On 8/1/2019 6:30 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
I just tried, and I can find the button, pretty much exactly the same ways as in Firefox.

Note that YouTube has a few different ways of showing ads.  The ones which have the "Skip ad" button, tend to be ones which play for five seconds or so first (with a count down timer where the Skip Ad button would be) before the Skip Ad button is shown.  If you are quick off the mark, and try to find the button before this point, you may not be able to.

The ads in this case are often a couple of minutes long.  YouTube sometimes shows other ads which are 30 seconds or so, and for some of these ads, it doesn't offer a facility to skip the ad, but rather shows a message saying that your video will play (or resume) after the ad.  In that case there is no Skip ad button either.

Are you sure the ads you are seeing do in fact have skip ad buttons?

I didn't try with NVDA 2019.1.1, but only NVDA 2019.2 rc1, I'm not sure if that makes a difference of the top of my head: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2019-2rc1-released/

I was using Chrome Version 75.0.3770.142 (Official Build) (64-bit) I noticed when I just checked that it decided there was an update, but I don't think this build was that old.

Regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 7:31 PM Dejan Ristic <r.dejan83@...> wrote:

Hi,


What I've faced so far?


If I wish NVDA to recognize the skip ad button, I switch to the focus mode and tab and/or shift tab to find and activate the button, for there are cases when NVDA does not recognize the very button we're talking about when in the browse mode.


Dejan

On 01/08/2019 10:23, Jaffar Sidek wrote:

Hi Quentin.  I have been using Chrome for quite a while and so i can't tell you if Chrome is the culprit or not since  the button is still seen by  JFW.  For me at least, NVDA seems to no longer read the button correctly since the early 2019 version, so if it was a chrome or youtube update, won't JFW face the same issue then?  The "Clickable" word to me is not an issue for me right now as I depend upon it to tell me that I am on the "Skip ad" button.  Cheers.

On 8/1/2019 2:19 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
Hi Jaffar,

Can you confirm whether the issue is with newer versions of NVDA, or recent updates to YouTube (or your browser)?

Looking at YouTube in FireFox 68.0.1 with NVDA 2019.2rc1, I can see a "Clickable skip ad" button when there is an ad showing.  You can either get to it with tab or b (or shift+tab or shift+b), or you can do an NVDA search for "skip" is usually enough to find it.

For the "clickable" part, if you don't want clickable announced, you can turn that off in NVDA's document settings (NVDA+control+d)

I must admit, I have a YouTube subscription so I haven't seen ads in awhile to know if that behaviour has changed lately.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 3:52 PM Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@...> wrote:
Hi.  Not so long ago, with the previous versions, the "Skip ad" button
on youtube could be read by NVDA.  Now however, the newer versions of
NVDA seem to read that particular button just as "Clickable".  It is
rather unfortunate that one has to navigate to the slider which allows
us to skip a video back or forward, then arrow up to the "clickable"
button immediately above the slider to activate it.  The "Skip ad"
button is still recognized by JFW as usual.  Perhaps I am missing
something?  Just letting the NVDA team know.  Cheers!






--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

NVDA 2019.2 RC 1 now available!


Virus-free. www.avast.com


--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

NVDA 2019.2 RC 1 now available!


Miranda and autoscroll

Vincent Le Goff <vincent.legoff.srs@...>
 

Hi everyone,


My deepest apology if this was raised before.  Can't find a thread or any resource on the Internet to answer my question.


In my quest to find a decent chat client I tried Miranda and mostly liked it.  There is one (and a rather big) issue as far as NVDA is concerned: when in a discussion window, whenever the other sends a message, Miranda "scrolls" down and the focus is moved back to the bottom of the page.  If this is only annoying for single-person conversations, it becomes extremely annoying in group conversations and completely frustrating on larger channels, like you can find on IRC.  When you're trying to read a message, the focus scrolls back down and you have to go up again... and pray that no one posts a new message in the meantime, since you'll scroll back down if that happens.  And when talking to 20-30 other people on the same forum, this is far from a rare occurrence.


I see lots of work on Miranda's integration to NVDA.  But I couldn't find any way to address that issue.  Am I missing something obvious?  Is NVDA ignoring this now and prevents the focus change by default?  Is there a setting to disable that in Miranda itself?


Thanks!


Vincent


Re: TTS punctuation pauses

Gene
 

I should have said the settings, if present.
 
\Gene

----- Original Message -----
From: Gene
Sent: Friday, August 02, 2019 2:19 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] TTS punctuation pauses

Dark and all
 
I believe the setting is in the settings for the individual synthesizer you are using and not NVDA.  What synthesizer are you using?
 
Gene.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, August 02, 2019 2:13 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] TTS punctuation pauses

Dark,
As far as I know there's not any such setting. I'll follow this thread though because I'd be interested on this as well :)

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

--
Are you a Thunderbird user? Then join the Thunderbird mailing list to help and be helped with all Thunderbird things - questions, features, add-ons and much more!


Re: TTS punctuation pauses

Gene
 

Dark and all
 
I believe the setting is in the settings for the individual synthesizer you are using and not NVDA.  What synthesizer are you using?
 
Gene.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, August 02, 2019 2:13 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] TTS punctuation pauses

Dark,
As far as I know there's not any such setting. I'll follow this thread though because I'd be interested on this as well :)

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

--
Are you a Thunderbird user? Then join the Thunderbird mailing list to help and be helped with all Thunderbird things - questions, features, add-ons and much more!


Re: TTS punctuation pauses

 

Dark,
As far as I know there's not any such setting. I'll follow this thread though because I'd be interested on this as well :)

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

--
Are you a Thunderbird user? Then join the Thunderbird mailing list to help and be helped with all Thunderbird things - questions, features, add-ons and much more!


Re: Is there a way to set NVDA 2019.2-RC1 to exit focus mode in Skype?

hurrikennyandopo ...
 

Hi


All I do is just change it to browse mode if it doesn't go in straight away, so then I can jump around it like a web page.


Gene NZ


On 2/08/2019 5:47 PM, John Isige wrote:
Unchecking "enable browse mode on page load" doesn't seem to do
anything. Well, the arrows will move the cursor, but only within a
block. So if I'm on a message it will move within that message, but if I
get to the edit field it will only move in that. I still have to hit
NVDA-space to get the arrows to move through all of Skype normally. This
is Skype 8 desktop, specifically Skype 8.50. It's not a big deal if
there's no way to change it, it's just annoying because it's something i
have to stop and do every time I open skype for the first time after I boot.


On 8/1/2019 3:19, Luke Davis wrote:
Have you tried setting up a config profile, triggered by Skype, that
does one of the following:

* Is saved with browse mode off, so when it triggers browse mode will
alrady be off; or
* Has the "Enable browse mode on page load" option disabled?

If a configuration profile will hold either the browse mode state, or
that option, that should be a good solution for you.

Luke

On Wed, 31 Jul 2019, John Isige wrote:

So I asked about this Skype issue and Joseph was right. If you hit
NVDA-space, it takes NVDA out of focus mode and you can arrow through
Skype controls as usual. What's interesting is that it seems to be
preserved until restart. That is, when I first get into Skype I have
to hit NVDA-space, but once I've done that, it's set until I restart
NVDA, even if I close Skype and re-open it again, well, make it
minimize to the system tray or whatever it does.


So is there a way to set NVDA to not be in focus mode when I open
Skype? I don't know what changed between 2019.1 and 2019.2 so I don't
know what setting change(s) to make, or if it's even possible.











--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related materials at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net

To find out which library networks in New Zealand have a copy of the NVDA screen reader on them and there library locations please go to http://www.accessibilitycentral.net/nz%20libraries%20with%20nvda.html
To find a NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.


Re: bug: NVDA causes all audio to play through both headphones and the pc speakers

enes sarıbaş
 

Hi Quentin,

I don't unplug or plug the headphones for this to happen. For some reason, audio begins playing through both devices. But restarting NVDA multiple times, or a single time causes audio to get routed correctly again.

On 8/1/2019 10:59 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
It sounds like it might be your audio driver.  NVDA by default sends its sound through the default audio device, unless you set a specific device in the NVDA synthesizer dialog. Are you plugging or unplugging your headphones or speakers?  I know Windows will often jump the default device to whatever you just plugged in.



On Fri, Aug 2, 2019 at 12:47 PM David Csercsics <bleeblat@...> wrote:
Does setting NVDA Synthesizer output to a specific sound card help?
Normally it defaults to Microsoft sound mapper, but maybe it is doing
something odd. So maybe if you give it a specific card it will work
around the problem. Still a good bug report though, as something is
going on with the code that shouldn't be.









--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

NVDA 2019.2 RC 1 now available!