Date   

Re: Brave browser

hurrikennyandopo ...
 

Hi


I did the same went for the 64 bit version and after it was installed it showed up in the 32 bit part of windows not the 64 bit  side of windows. Could it be like nvda where nvda will work on both 32 and 64 bit machines but only has the file name for one.


I did not look at the file coming down but did not have a version on it like some as like x64 or x32 at the end.


Gene nz


On 1/03/2019 11:22 AM, Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io wrote:
no worries we all make mistakes.

On 28/02/2019 22:18, marcio via Groups.Io wrote:
Really? I always thought the opposite!
Shame on me! It seems I need to  learn a bit more before concluding anything. LOL

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow or add me on Facebook <https://facebook.com/firirinfonfon>

Em 28/02/2019 19:18, Andy escreveu:
Program Files X86 is for 32 bit programs.  If that is the folder in which it is installed, it is a 32 bit program.

Andy

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io" <the.big.white.shepherd@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2019 1:53 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Brave browser


Hi,   I installed the 64 bit butt yet it is in program files x86 and yes I am sure I have the 64 bit version.   at least when I went to the download page it said 64 bit installer.   any ideas anyone else had this?

On 28/02/2019 06:42, Mallard wrote:
Well, I haven't seen any ads at all in Brave, neither in Android nor in Windows.

If there are, they are well hidden. And if they're hidden, I don't see the purpose of having them at all


It's only fair that one should be wary.






Il 28/02/2019 04:45, Shaun Everiss ha scritto:

Well its the latest chromium alternertive.

FFull add blocking and extra security.

review here.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3292619/web-browsers/the-brave-browser-basics-what-it-does-how-it-differs-from-rivals.html

I do caution users, in the article link I pasted above the eventual plan for brave is to replace all adds from other's websites and tracks with its own adds and trackers or at least thats what I read.

Some antimalware and security tools detect brave as malware though they say its false.

Reviews seem generally good now, but I am not sure.

If this brouser is replacing adds with its own, there is no garantee that eventually you trade a malware free environment with using another echosystem, with its own adds, trackers, and malware thrown in.

This is a really new project, its not the first chromium sourced brouser and it will not be the last.

One other thing to note, its not a main stay brouser like chrome, firefox, ie and edge, so interface wize while it may be good, a supported brouser that is supported is better than one which may have issues.

Now saying that with nvda that probably doesn't matter as such because of the fact nvda itself is basically a scripted program built using modern techniques and using commen os access commands and apis.

But Its probable that if you run something like dolphin stuff you won't get access and its unlikely that it would be supported by jaws or anything like that.

The thing I don't care for is trading all the malware I have to deal with now with eventually another person's adds.

If I am ready to do this, I may as well uninstall my antimalware software and turn off my firewall.

Users do have glowing reviews right now but its new.


Now if you want to try it you probably won't have any issues doing so however who knows.

Ports come and go.

It may have some big names developing it but look at piriform.

CCleaner is a good program, it used to be really good till piriform went with avast.

Now ccleaner is its own malware, and sadly it does do malwareish things, trying to have quickclean run, and a entire load of other things I have to modify my ini file every day or so.

Its interface or at least the main interface panel is total crap access wize.

And it comes with avast which is total crap access wize to.

I used to use programs with dvdvideosoftware they used to have google spyware in them and I don't care about google because I use that but later it had conduit then opencandy, then a lot of other junk and I had to get rid of it and reformat my system to get rid of all the extra junkware.

Sadly it seems to be the rage, any software that is bundled with any software is pritty much malware because most of the time the user has not requested that software so its malware.

THats another issue with brave, it does not block google adds or google trackers, so we know who is funding brave now.

Now if brave got cash from doubleclick, yahoo adds and all the other add makers to have their adds unblocked then we have a problem.

I know that with waterfox I have full control, and I have blocked google and all sort of extras.



On 28/02/2019 11:12 AM, Gene wrote:
If people do a Google or other search engine search for something like Brave browser review, they may find knowledgeable assessments of the browser.
Gene
----- Original Message -----
*From:* Dan Beaver <mailto:dbeaver888@...>
*Sent:* Wednesday, February 27, 2019 4:09 PM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] Brave browser

How do we know this is a safe browser?



-- 
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)

















--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net
 
Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which location (or locations) are nearest to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa).
To find out which software is installed on the APNK network please visit the following link http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/software To find out how to use NVDA on APNK computers please visit the following link http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/nvda
 

To find out which software is available on the Christchurch City Library network, and how to start the NVDA screen reader, please go to the following links. Software available  https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/faq/computers/#faq_5884  How to start the NVDA screen reader on Christchurch City Library computers  https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/faqs/what-screen-reader-software-is-available/
 
To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.


Re: Brave browser

Kevin Cussick
 

no worries we all make mistakes.

On 28/02/2019 22:18, marcio via Groups.Io wrote:
Really? I always thought the opposite!
Shame on me! It seems I need to  learn a bit more before concluding anything. LOL
Cheers,
Marcio
Follow or add me on Facebook <https://facebook.com/firirinfonfon>;
Em 28/02/2019 19:18, Andy escreveu:
Program Files X86 is for 32 bit programs.  If that is the folder in which it is installed, it is a 32 bit program.

Andy

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io" <the.big.white.shepherd=googlemail.com@groups.io>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2019 1:53 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Brave browser


Hi,   I installed the 64 bit butt yet it is in program files x86 and yes I am sure I have the 64 bit version.   at least when I went to the download page it said 64 bit installer.   any ideas anyone else had this?

On 28/02/2019 06:42, Mallard wrote:
Well, I haven't seen any ads at all in Brave, neither in Android nor in Windows.

If there are, they are well hidden. And if they're hidden, I don't see the purpose of having them at all


It's only fair that one should be wary.






Il 28/02/2019 04:45, Shaun Everiss ha scritto:

Well its the latest chromium alternertive.

FFull add blocking and extra security.

review here.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3292619/web-browsers/the-brave-browser-basics-what-it-does-how-it-differs-from-rivals.html

I do caution users, in the article link I pasted above the eventual plan for brave is to replace all adds from other's websites and tracks with its own adds and trackers or at least thats what I read.

Some antimalware and security tools detect brave as malware though they say its false.

Reviews seem generally good now, but I am not sure.

If this brouser is replacing adds with its own, there is no garantee that eventually you trade a malware free environment with using another echosystem, with its own adds, trackers, and malware thrown in.

This is a really new project, its not the first chromium sourced brouser and it will not be the last.

One other thing to note, its not a main stay brouser like chrome, firefox, ie and edge, so interface wize while it may be good, a supported brouser that is supported is better than one which may have issues.

Now saying that with nvda that probably doesn't matter as such because of the fact nvda itself is basically a scripted program built using modern techniques and using commen os access commands and apis.

But Its probable that if you run something like dolphin stuff you won't get access and its unlikely that it would be supported by jaws or anything like that.

The thing I don't care for is trading all the malware I have to deal with now with eventually another person's adds.

If I am ready to do this, I may as well uninstall my antimalware software and turn off my firewall.

Users do have glowing reviews right now but its new.


Now if you want to try it you probably won't have any issues doing so however who knows.

Ports come and go.

It may have some big names developing it but look at piriform.

CCleaner is a good program, it used to be really good till piriform went with avast.

Now ccleaner is its own malware, and sadly it does do malwareish things, trying to have quickclean run, and a entire load of other things I have to modify my ini file every day or so.

Its interface or at least the main interface panel is total crap access wize.

And it comes with avast which is total crap access wize to.

I used to use programs with dvdvideosoftware they used to have google spyware in them and I don't care about google because I use that but later it had conduit then opencandy, then a lot of other junk and I had to get rid of it and reformat my system to get rid of all the extra junkware.

Sadly it seems to be the rage, any software that is bundled with any software is pritty much malware because most of the time the user has not requested that software so its malware.

THats another issue with brave, it does not block google adds or google trackers, so we know who is funding brave now.

Now if brave got cash from doubleclick, yahoo adds and all the other add makers to have their adds unblocked then we have a problem.

I know that with waterfox I have full control, and I have blocked google and all sort of extras.



On 28/02/2019 11:12 AM, Gene wrote:
If people do a Google or other search engine search for something like Brave browser review, they may find knowledgeable assessments of the browser.
Gene
----- Original Message -----
*From:* Dan Beaver <mailto:dbeaver888@gmail.com>
*Sent:* Wednesday, February 27, 2019 4:09 PM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] Brave browser

How do we know this is a safe browser?



--
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)






Re: Being Unsubscribed for Marking Messages as Spam #adminnotice

ADRIAN POCOCK
 

Hi

The discussion here has been enlightening to me, I am relatively new to newsgroups and forums and i didn't realise that deleting junk mail could cause such problems.  I must hold my hands up, I did it.  Is emptying the junk folder all at once causing the same problems.


Best Adrian Pocock

On 28/02/2019 14:22, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 03:45 AM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
Oh if only one could actually do that.. The real world is not that simple, sadly. See my long post.
One can actually do that in a great many cases, thus it is important that when one can, one does.   The real world is never simple.   Using POP in this day and age is unwise (though that is a separate issue of its own).
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

 

 


Re: Brave browser

Brice Mijares
 

Is there not a portable version of this browser?

On 2/28/2019 12:55 PM, Mallard wrote:
You can get it at
www.brave.com
There are versions for all platforms.
hth, ciao,
Ollie
Il 28/02/2019 21:33, Andy ha scritto:

How do I obtain this browser?
Andy

    ----- Original Message -----
    *From:* Gene <mailto:gsasner@gmail.com>
    *To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
    *Sent:* Thursday, February 28, 2019 1:01 AM
    *Subject:* Re: [nvda] Brave browser

    Did you try the site with JAVA scripts disabled?  The site may not
    be useable, or fully useable, but you may be able to do what you
    want on it.  You can cause the music not to play in various ways
    as well, while having JAVA scripts enabled. the choice is not
    between an add blocker or no add blocker. there are other ways
    that may result in making difficult sites, because of advertising,
    reasonably useable.
    Gene
    ----- original Message -----
    *From:* Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
    <mailto:bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io>
    *Sent:* Thursday, February 28, 2019 2:54 AM
    *To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
    *Subject:* Re: [nvda] Brave browser

    The question these days is will the ads be blocked in such a way
    as to still
    allow access to the site. Many now seem to be able to see you have
    an ad
    blocker and will not let you in till you turn it off or grease
    their palm
    with  pieces of eight!

    Now I'd be happy to  turn them off, but the big problem I'm sure
    we as blind
    users have is that a very accessible site can be rendered unusable by
    stupidly designed adverts. Yesterday I allowed them on one site to be
    greeted by loud music and scrolling rubbish neither of which
    seemed to be in
    any way letting me  use the site. I'm sure its not deliberate but
    if you do
    not  take control of the advertising in the same way you do oas on
    site
    design, don't be surprised when blind people  go elsewhere.
     Brian

    bglists@blueyonder.co.uk <mailto:bglists@blueyonder.co.uk>
    Sent via blueyonder.
    Please address personal E-mail to:-
    briang1@blueyonder.co.uk <mailto:briang1@blueyonder.co.uk>,
    putting 'Brian Gaff'
    in the display name field.
    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Mallard" <mallard@kimabe.eu <mailto:mallard@kimabe.eu>>
    To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>>
    Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2019 6:42 AM
    Subject: Re: [nvda] Brave browser


    > Well, I haven't seen any ads at all in Brave, neither in Android
    nor in
    > Windows.
    >
    > If there are, they are well hidden. And if they're hidden, I
    don't see the
    > purpose of having them at all
    >
    >
    > It's only fair that one should be wary.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Il 28/02/2019 04:45, Shaun Everiss ha scritto:
    >>
    >> Well its the latest chromium alternertive.
    >>
    >> FFull add blocking and extra security.
    >>
    >> review here.
    >>
    >>
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3292619/web-browsers/the-brave-browser-basics-what-it-does-how-it-differs-from-rivals.html
    >>
    >> I do caution users, in the article link I pasted above the
    eventual plan
    >> for brave is to replace all adds from other's websites and
    tracks with
    >> its own adds and trackers or at least thats what I read.
    >>
    >> Some antimalware and security tools detect brave as malware
    though they
    >> say its false.
    >>
    >> Reviews seem generally good now, but I am not sure.
    >>
    >> If this brouser is replacing adds with its own, there is no
    garantee that
    >> eventually you trade a malware free environment with using another
    >> echosystem, with its own adds, trackers, and malware thrown in.
    >>
    >> This is a really new project, its not the first chromium
    sourced brouser
    >> and it will not be the last.
    >>
    >> One other thing to note, its not a main stay brouser like chrome,
    >> firefox, ie and edge, so interface wize while it may be good, a
    supported
    >> brouser that is supported is better than one which may have issues.
    >>
    >> Now saying that with nvda that probably doesn't matter as such
    because of
    >> the fact nvda itself is basically a scripted program built
    using modern
    >> techniques and using commen os access commands and apis.
    >>
    >> But Its probable that if you run something like dolphin stuff
    you won't
    >> get access and its unlikely that it would be supported by jaws or
    >> anything like that.
    >>
    >> The thing I don't care for is trading all the malware I have to
    deal with
    >> now with eventually another person's adds.
    >>
    >> If I am ready to do this, I may as well uninstall my
    antimalware software
    >> and turn off my firewall.
    >>
    >> Users do have glowing reviews right now but its new.
    >>
    >>
    >> Now if you want to try it you probably won't have any issues
    doing so
    >> however who knows.
    >>
    >> Ports come and go.
    >>
    >> It may have some big names developing it but look at piriform.
    >>
    >> CCleaner is a good program, it used to be really good till
    piriform went
    >> with avast.
    >>
    >> Now ccleaner is its own malware, and sadly it does do
    malwareish things,
    >> trying to have quickclean run, and a entire load of other
    things I have
    >> to modify my ini file every day or so.
    >>
    >> Its interface or at least the main interface panel is total
    crap access
    >> wize.
    >>
    >> And it comes with avast which is total crap access wize to.
    >>
    >> I used to use programs with dvdvideosoftware they used to have
    google
    >> spyware in them and I don't care about google because I use
    that but
    >> later it had conduit then opencandy, then a lot of other junk
    and I had
    >> to get rid of it and reformat my system to get rid of all the
    extra
    >> junkware.
    >>
    >> Sadly it seems to be the rage, any software that is bundled
    with any
    >> software is pritty much malware because most of the time the
    user has not
    >> requested that software so its malware.
    >>
    >> THats another issue with brave, it does not block google adds
    or google
    >> trackers, so we know who is funding brave now.
    >>
    >> Now if brave got cash from doubleclick, yahoo adds and all the
    other add
    >> makers to have their adds unblocked then we have a problem.
    >>
    >> I know that with waterfox I have full control, and I have
    blocked google
    >> and all sort of extras.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> On 28/02/2019 11:12 AM, Gene wrote:
    >>> If people do a Google or other search engine search for
    something like
    >>> Brave browser review, they may find knowledgeable assessments
    of the
    >>> browser.
    >>> Gene
    >>> ----- Original Message -----
    >>> *From:* Dan Beaver <mailto:dbeaver888@gmail.com>
    >>> *Sent:* Wednesday, February 27, 2019 4:09 PM
    >>> *To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
    <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
    >>> *Subject:* Re: [nvda] Brave browser
    >>>
    >>> How do we know this is a safe browser?
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)
    >>
    >
    >
    >




Re: Brave browser

Kevin Cussick
 

Hi, yes the other way round.

On 28/02/2019 22:20, Andy wrote:

I think you have it backwards.
Andy
----- Original Message -----
*From:* marcio via Groups.Io
<mailto:marcinhorj21=yahoo.com.br@groups.io>
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Sent:* Thursday, February 28, 2019 2:13 PM
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] Brave browser
I don't know if you are totally wrong, I don't think you would be.
In my experiences, what I notice over the time is that the programs
which have 64 bit versions goes to the X86 folder whereas those
which are 32 goes to the other one.
That being said, I don't know why Kevin was expecting the program to
install on a different folder if it's a 64 bit program as far as I
could see based on what he wrote.
Cheers,
Marcio
Follow or add me on Facebook <https://facebook.com/firirinfonfon>;
Em 28/02/2019 19:06, James AUSTIN escreveu:
Hi

I could be wrong about this so please correct me somebody if so, but I think that the suffix X 86 for program files points to user installed applications. The original program files points to applications installed by Windows. However in most installation wizards I have used you can choose where to install files.

Best wishes
James
On 28 Feb 2019, at 21:53, Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io<the.big.white.shepherd=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi, I installed the 64 bit butt yet it is in program files x86 and yes I am sure I have the 64 bit version. at least when I went to the download page it said 64 bit installer. any ideas anyone else had this?

On 28/02/2019 06:42, Mallard wrote:
Well, I haven't seen any ads at all in Brave, neither in Android nor in Windows.
If there are, they are well hidden. And if they're hidden, I don't see the purpose of having them at all
It's only fair that one should be wary.
Il 28/02/2019 04:45, Shaun Everiss ha scritto:
Well its the latest chromium alternertive.

FFull add blocking and extra security.

review here.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3292619/web-browsers/the-brave-browser-basics-what-it-does-how-it-differs-from-rivals.html
I do caution users, in the article link I pasted above the eventual plan for brave is to replace all adds from other's websites and tracks with its own adds and trackers or at least thats what I read.

Some antimalware and security tools detect brave as malware though they say its false.

Reviews seem generally good now, but I am not sure.

If this brouser is replacing adds with its own, there is no garantee that eventually you trade a malware free environment with using another echosystem, with its own adds, trackers, and malware thrown in.

This is a really new project, its not the first chromium sourced brouser and it will not be the last.

One other thing to note, its not a main stay brouser like chrome, firefox, ie and edge, so interface wize while it may be good, a supported brouser that is supported is better than one which may have issues.

Now saying that with nvda that probably doesn't matter as such because of the fact nvda itself is basically a scripted program built using modern techniques and using commen os access commands and apis.

But Its probable that if you run something like dolphin stuff you won't get access and its unlikely that it would be supported by jaws or anything like that.

The thing I don't care for is trading all the malware I have to deal with now with eventually another person's adds.

If I am ready to do this, I may as well uninstall my antimalware software and turn off my firewall.

Users do have glowing reviews right now but its new.


Now if you want to try it you probably won't have any issues doing so however who knows.

Ports come and go.

It may have some big names developing it but look at piriform.

CCleaner is a good program, it used to be really good till piriform went with avast.

Now ccleaner is its own malware, and sadly it does do malwareish things, trying to have quickclean run, and a entire load of other things I have to modify my ini file every day or so.

Its interface or at least the main interface panel is total crap access wize.

And it comes with avast which is total crap access wize to.

I used to use programs with dvdvideosoftware they used to have google spyware in them and I don't care about google because I use that but later it had conduit then opencandy, then a lot of other junk and I had to get rid of it and reformat my system to get rid of all the extra junkware.

Sadly it seems to be the rage, any software that is bundled with any software is pritty much malware because most of the time the user has not requested that software so its malware.

THats another issue with brave, it does not block google adds or google trackers, so we know who is funding brave now.

Now if brave got cash from doubleclick, yahoo adds and all the other add makers to have their adds unblocked then we have a problem.

I know that with waterfox I have full control, and I have blocked google and all sort of extras.



On 28/02/2019 11:12 AM, Gene wrote:
If people do a Google or other search engine search for something like Brave browser review, they may find knowledgeable assessments of the browser.
Gene
----- Original Message -----
*From:* Dan Beaver<mailto:dbeaver888@gmail.com>
*Sent:* Wednesday, February 27, 2019 4:09 PM
*To:*nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] Brave browser

How do we know this is a safe browser?



--
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)


Re: Brave browser

Kevin Cussick
 

thanks, sense but when I downloaded it it aid it was 64 bit.

On 28/02/2019 22:18, Andy wrote:
Program Files X86 is for 32 bit programs.  If that is the folder in which it is installed, it is a 32 bit program.
Andy
----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io" <the.big.white.shepherd=googlemail.com@groups.io>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2019 1:53 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Brave browser

Hi,   I installed the 64 bit butt yet it is in program files x86 and yes I am sure I have the 64 bit version.   at least when I went to the download page it said 64 bit installer.   any ideas anyone else had this?

On 28/02/2019 06:42, Mallard wrote:
Well, I haven't seen any ads at all in Brave, neither in Android nor in Windows.

If there are, they are well hidden. And if they're hidden, I don't see the purpose of having them at all


It's only fair that one should be wary.






Il 28/02/2019 04:45, Shaun Everiss ha scritto:

Well its the latest chromium alternertive.

FFull add blocking and extra security.

review here.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3292619/web-browsers/the-brave-browser-basics-what-it-does-how-it-differs-from-rivals.html

I do caution users, in the article link I pasted above the eventual plan for brave is to replace all adds from other's websites and tracks with its own adds and trackers or at least thats what I read.

Some antimalware and security tools detect brave as malware though they say its false.

Reviews seem generally good now, but I am not sure.

If this brouser is replacing adds with its own, there is no garantee that eventually you trade a malware free environment with using another echosystem, with its own adds, trackers, and malware thrown in.

This is a really new project, its not the first chromium sourced brouser and it will not be the last.

One other thing to note, its not a main stay brouser like chrome, firefox, ie and edge, so interface wize while it may be good, a supported brouser that is supported is better than one which may have issues.

Now saying that with nvda that probably doesn't matter as such because of the fact nvda itself is basically a scripted program built using modern techniques and using commen os access commands and apis.

But Its probable that if you run something like dolphin stuff you won't get access and its unlikely that it would be supported by jaws or anything like that.

The thing I don't care for is trading all the malware I have to deal with now with eventually another person's adds.

If I am ready to do this, I may as well uninstall my antimalware software and turn off my firewall.

Users do have glowing reviews right now but its new.


Now if you want to try it you probably won't have any issues doing so however who knows.

Ports come and go.

It may have some big names developing it but look at piriform.

CCleaner is a good program, it used to be really good till piriform went with avast.

Now ccleaner is its own malware, and sadly it does do malwareish things, trying to have quickclean run, and a entire load of other things I have to modify my ini file every day or so.

Its interface or at least the main interface panel is total crap access wize.

And it comes with avast which is total crap access wize to.

I used to use programs with dvdvideosoftware they used to have google spyware in them and I don't care about google because I use that but later it had conduit then opencandy, then a lot of other junk and I had to get rid of it and reformat my system to get rid of all the extra junkware.

Sadly it seems to be the rage, any software that is bundled with any software is pritty much malware because most of the time the user has not requested that software so its malware.

THats another issue with brave, it does not block google adds or google trackers, so we know who is funding brave now.

Now if brave got cash from doubleclick, yahoo adds and all the other add makers to have their adds unblocked then we have a problem.

I know that with waterfox I have full control, and I have blocked google and all sort of extras.



On 28/02/2019 11:12 AM, Gene wrote:
If people do a Google or other search engine search for something like Brave browser review, they may find knowledgeable assessments of the browser.
Gene
----- Original Message -----
*From:* Dan Beaver <mailto:dbeaver888@gmail.com>
*Sent:* Wednesday, February 27, 2019 4:09 PM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] Brave browser

How do we know this is a safe browser?



--
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)



Re: Brave browser

 

Really? I always thought the opposite!
Shame on me! It seems I need to  learn a bit more before concluding anything. LOL
Em 28/02/2019 19:18, Andy escreveu:

Program Files X86 is for 32 bit programs.  If that is the folder in which it is installed, it is a 32 bit program.

Andy

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io" <the.big.white.shepherd@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2019 1:53 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Brave browser


Hi,   I installed the 64 bit butt yet it is in program files x86 and yes I am sure I have the 64 bit version.   at least when I went to the download page it said 64 bit installer.   any ideas anyone else had this?

On 28/02/2019 06:42, Mallard wrote:
Well, I haven't seen any ads at all in Brave, neither in Android nor in Windows.

If there are, they are well hidden. And if they're hidden, I don't see the purpose of having them at all


It's only fair that one should be wary.






Il 28/02/2019 04:45, Shaun Everiss ha scritto:

Well its the latest chromium alternertive.

FFull add blocking and extra security.

review here.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3292619/web-browsers/the-brave-browser-basics-what-it-does-how-it-differs-from-rivals.html

I do caution users, in the article link I pasted above the eventual plan for brave is to replace all adds from other's websites and tracks with its own adds and trackers or at least thats what I read.

Some antimalware and security tools detect brave as malware though they say its false.

Reviews seem generally good now, but I am not sure.

If this brouser is replacing adds with its own, there is no garantee that eventually you trade a malware free environment with using another echosystem, with its own adds, trackers, and malware thrown in.

This is a really new project, its not the first chromium sourced brouser and it will not be the last.

One other thing to note, its not a main stay brouser like chrome, firefox, ie and edge, so interface wize while it may be good, a supported brouser that is supported is better than one which may have issues.

Now saying that with nvda that probably doesn't matter as such because of the fact nvda itself is basically a scripted program built using modern techniques and using commen os access commands and apis.

But Its probable that if you run something like dolphin stuff you won't get access and its unlikely that it would be supported by jaws or anything like that.

The thing I don't care for is trading all the malware I have to deal with now with eventually another person's adds.

If I am ready to do this, I may as well uninstall my antimalware software and turn off my firewall.

Users do have glowing reviews right now but its new.


Now if you want to try it you probably won't have any issues doing so however who knows.

Ports come and go.

It may have some big names developing it but look at piriform.

CCleaner is a good program, it used to be really good till piriform went with avast.

Now ccleaner is its own malware, and sadly it does do malwareish things, trying to have quickclean run, and a entire load of other things I have to modify my ini file every day or so.

Its interface or at least the main interface panel is total crap access wize.

And it comes with avast which is total crap access wize to.

I used to use programs with dvdvideosoftware they used to have google spyware in them and I don't care about google because I use that but later it had conduit then opencandy, then a lot of other junk and I had to get rid of it and reformat my system to get rid of all the extra junkware.

Sadly it seems to be the rage, any software that is bundled with any software is pritty much malware because most of the time the user has not requested that software so its malware.

THats another issue with brave, it does not block google adds or google trackers, so we know who is funding brave now.

Now if brave got cash from doubleclick, yahoo adds and all the other add makers to have their adds unblocked then we have a problem.

I know that with waterfox I have full control, and I have blocked google and all sort of extras.



On 28/02/2019 11:12 AM, Gene wrote:
If people do a Google or other search engine search for something like Brave browser review, they may find knowledgeable assessments of the browser.
Gene
----- Original Message -----
*From:* Dan Beaver <mailto:dbeaver888@...>
*Sent:* Wednesday, February 27, 2019 4:09 PM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] Brave browser

How do we know this is a safe browser?



-- 
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)














Re: Brave browser

Andy
 


I think you have it backwards.
 
Andy
 

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2019 2:13 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Brave browser

I don't know if you are totally wrong, I don't think you would be.
In my experiences, what I notice over the time is that the programs which have 64 bit versions goes to the X86 folder whereas those which are 32 goes to the other one.
That being said, I don't know why Kevin was expecting the program to install on a different folder if it's a 64 bit program as far as I could see based on what he wrote.

Em 28/02/2019 19:06, James AUSTIN escreveu:
Hi

I could be wrong about this so please correct me somebody if so, but I think that the suffix X 86 for program files points  to user installed applications. The original program files points to   applications installed by Windows. However in most installation wizards I have used you can choose where to install files.

Best wishes
James
On 28 Feb 2019, at 21:53, Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io <the.big.white.shepherd@...> wrote:

Hi,   I installed the 64 bit butt yet it is in program files x86 and yes I am sure I have the 64 bit version.   at least when I went to the download page it said 64 bit installer.   any ideas anyone else had this?

On 28/02/2019 06:42, Mallard wrote:
Well, I haven't seen any ads at all in Brave, neither in Android nor in Windows.
If there are, they are well hidden. And if they're hidden, I don't see the purpose of having them at all
It's only fair that one should be wary.
Il 28/02/2019 04:45, Shaun Everiss ha scritto:
Well its the latest chromium alternertive.

FFull add blocking and extra security.

review here.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3292619/web-browsers/the-brave-browser-basics-what-it-does-how-it-differs-from-rivals.html 

I do caution users, in the article link I pasted above the eventual plan for brave is to replace all adds from other's websites and tracks with its own adds and trackers or at least thats what I read.

Some antimalware and security tools detect brave as malware though they say its false.

Reviews seem generally good now, but I am not sure.

If this brouser is replacing adds with its own, there is no garantee that eventually you trade a malware free environment with using another echosystem, with its own adds, trackers, and malware thrown in.

This is a really new project, its not the first chromium sourced brouser and it will not be the last.

One other thing to note, its not a main stay brouser like chrome, firefox, ie and edge, so interface wize while it may be good, a supported brouser that is supported is better than one which may have issues.

Now saying that with nvda that probably doesn't matter as such because of the fact nvda itself is basically a scripted program built using modern techniques and using commen os access commands and apis.

But Its probable that if you run something like dolphin stuff you won't get access and its unlikely that it would be supported by jaws or anything like that.

The thing I don't care for is trading all the malware I have to deal with now with eventually another person's adds.

If I am ready to do this, I may as well uninstall my antimalware software and turn off my firewall.

Users do have glowing reviews right now but its new.


Now if you want to try it you probably won't have any issues doing so however who knows.

Ports come and go.

It may have some big names developing it but look at piriform.

CCleaner is a good program, it used to be really good till piriform went with avast.

Now ccleaner is its own malware, and sadly it does do malwareish things, trying to have quickclean run, and a entire load of other things I have to modify my ini file every day or so.

Its interface or at least the main interface panel is total crap access wize.

And it comes with avast which is total crap access wize to.

I used to use programs with dvdvideosoftware they used to have google spyware in them and I don't care about google because I use that but later it had conduit then opencandy, then a lot of other junk and I had to get rid of it and reformat my system to get rid of all the extra junkware.

Sadly it seems to be the rage, any software that is bundled with any software is pritty much malware because most of the time the user has not requested that software so its malware.

THats another issue with brave, it does not block google adds or google trackers, so we know who is funding brave now.

Now if brave got cash from doubleclick, yahoo adds and all the other add makers to have their adds unblocked then we have a problem.

I know that with waterfox I have full control, and I have blocked google and all sort of extras.



On 28/02/2019 11:12 AM, Gene wrote:
If people do a Google or other search engine search for something like Brave browser review, they may find knowledgeable assessments of the browser.
Gene
----- Original Message -----
*From:* Dan Beaver <mailto:dbeaver888@...>
*Sent:* Wednesday, February 27, 2019 4:09 PM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] Brave browser

How do we know this is a safe browser?



-- 
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)





Re: Brave browser

Andy
 

Program Files X86 is for 32 bit programs. If that is the folder in which it is installed, it is a 32 bit program.

Andy

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io" <the.big.white.shepherd=googlemail.com@groups.io>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2019 1:53 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Brave browser


Hi, I installed the 64 bit butt yet it is in program files x86 and yes I am sure I have the 64 bit version. at least when I went to the download page it said 64 bit installer. any ideas anyone else had this?

On 28/02/2019 06:42, Mallard wrote:
Well, I haven't seen any ads at all in Brave, neither in Android nor in Windows.

If there are, they are well hidden. And if they're hidden, I don't see the purpose of having them at all


It's only fair that one should be wary.






Il 28/02/2019 04:45, Shaun Everiss ha scritto:

Well its the latest chromium alternertive.

FFull add blocking and extra security.

review here.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3292619/web-browsers/the-brave-browser-basics-what-it-does-how-it-differs-from-rivals.html

I do caution users, in the article link I pasted above the eventual plan for brave is to replace all adds from other's websites and tracks with its own adds and trackers or at least thats what I read.

Some antimalware and security tools detect brave as malware though they say its false.

Reviews seem generally good now, but I am not sure.

If this brouser is replacing adds with its own, there is no garantee that eventually you trade a malware free environment with using another echosystem, with its own adds, trackers, and malware thrown in.

This is a really new project, its not the first chromium sourced brouser and it will not be the last.

One other thing to note, its not a main stay brouser like chrome, firefox, ie and edge, so interface wize while it may be good, a supported brouser that is supported is better than one which may have issues.

Now saying that with nvda that probably doesn't matter as such because of the fact nvda itself is basically a scripted program built using modern techniques and using commen os access commands and apis.

But Its probable that if you run something like dolphin stuff you won't get access and its unlikely that it would be supported by jaws or anything like that.

The thing I don't care for is trading all the malware I have to deal with now with eventually another person's adds.

If I am ready to do this, I may as well uninstall my antimalware software and turn off my firewall.

Users do have glowing reviews right now but its new.


Now if you want to try it you probably won't have any issues doing so however who knows.

Ports come and go.

It may have some big names developing it but look at piriform.

CCleaner is a good program, it used to be really good till piriform went with avast.

Now ccleaner is its own malware, and sadly it does do malwareish things, trying to have quickclean run, and a entire load of other things I have to modify my ini file every day or so.

Its interface or at least the main interface panel is total crap access wize.

And it comes with avast which is total crap access wize to.

I used to use programs with dvdvideosoftware they used to have google spyware in them and I don't care about google because I use that but later it had conduit then opencandy, then a lot of other junk and I had to get rid of it and reformat my system to get rid of all the extra junkware.

Sadly it seems to be the rage, any software that is bundled with any software is pritty much malware because most of the time the user has not requested that software so its malware.

THats another issue with brave, it does not block google adds or google trackers, so we know who is funding brave now.

Now if brave got cash from doubleclick, yahoo adds and all the other add makers to have their adds unblocked then we have a problem.

I know that with waterfox I have full control, and I have blocked google and all sort of extras.



On 28/02/2019 11:12 AM, Gene wrote:
If people do a Google or other search engine search for something like Brave browser review, they may find knowledgeable assessments of the browser.
Gene
----- Original Message -----
*From:* Dan Beaver <mailto:dbeaver888@gmail.com>
*Sent:* Wednesday, February 27, 2019 4:09 PM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] Brave browser

How do we know this is a safe browser?



--
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)


Re: Brave browser

 

I don't know if you are totally wrong, I don't think you would be.
In my experiences, what I notice over the time is that the programs which have 64 bit versions goes to the X86 folder whereas those which are 32 goes to the other one.
That being said, I don't know why Kevin was expecting the program to install on a different folder if it's a 64 bit program as far as I could see based on what he wrote.

Em 28/02/2019 19:06, James AUSTIN escreveu:

Hi

I could be wrong about this so please correct me somebody if so, but I think that the suffix X 86 for program files points  to user installed applications. The original program files points to   applications installed by Windows. However in most installation wizards I have used you can choose where to install files.

Best wishes
James
On 28 Feb 2019, at 21:53, Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io <the.big.white.shepherd@...> wrote:

Hi,   I installed the 64 bit butt yet it is in program files x86 and yes I am sure I have the 64 bit version.   at least when I went to the download page it said 64 bit installer.   any ideas anyone else had this?

On 28/02/2019 06:42, Mallard wrote:
Well, I haven't seen any ads at all in Brave, neither in Android nor in Windows.
If there are, they are well hidden. And if they're hidden, I don't see the purpose of having them at all
It's only fair that one should be wary.
Il 28/02/2019 04:45, Shaun Everiss ha scritto:
Well its the latest chromium alternertive.

FFull add blocking and extra security.

review here.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3292619/web-browsers/the-brave-browser-basics-what-it-does-how-it-differs-from-rivals.html 

I do caution users, in the article link I pasted above the eventual plan for brave is to replace all adds from other's websites and tracks with its own adds and trackers or at least thats what I read.

Some antimalware and security tools detect brave as malware though they say its false.

Reviews seem generally good now, but I am not sure.

If this brouser is replacing adds with its own, there is no garantee that eventually you trade a malware free environment with using another echosystem, with its own adds, trackers, and malware thrown in.

This is a really new project, its not the first chromium sourced brouser and it will not be the last.

One other thing to note, its not a main stay brouser like chrome, firefox, ie and edge, so interface wize while it may be good, a supported brouser that is supported is better than one which may have issues.

Now saying that with nvda that probably doesn't matter as such because of the fact nvda itself is basically a scripted program built using modern techniques and using commen os access commands and apis.

But Its probable that if you run something like dolphin stuff you won't get access and its unlikely that it would be supported by jaws or anything like that.

The thing I don't care for is trading all the malware I have to deal with now with eventually another person's adds.

If I am ready to do this, I may as well uninstall my antimalware software and turn off my firewall.

Users do have glowing reviews right now but its new.


Now if you want to try it you probably won't have any issues doing so however who knows.

Ports come and go.

It may have some big names developing it but look at piriform.

CCleaner is a good program, it used to be really good till piriform went with avast.

Now ccleaner is its own malware, and sadly it does do malwareish things, trying to have quickclean run, and a entire load of other things I have to modify my ini file every day or so.

Its interface or at least the main interface panel is total crap access wize.

And it comes with avast which is total crap access wize to.

I used to use programs with dvdvideosoftware they used to have google spyware in them and I don't care about google because I use that but later it had conduit then opencandy, then a lot of other junk and I had to get rid of it and reformat my system to get rid of all the extra junkware.

Sadly it seems to be the rage, any software that is bundled with any software is pritty much malware because most of the time the user has not requested that software so its malware.

THats another issue with brave, it does not block google adds or google trackers, so we know who is funding brave now.

Now if brave got cash from doubleclick, yahoo adds and all the other add makers to have their adds unblocked then we have a problem.

I know that with waterfox I have full control, and I have blocked google and all sort of extras.



On 28/02/2019 11:12 AM, Gene wrote:
If people do a Google or other search engine search for something like Brave browser review, they may find knowledgeable assessments of the browser.
Gene
----- Original Message -----
*From:* Dan Beaver <mailto:dbeaver888@...>
*Sent:* Wednesday, February 27, 2019 4:09 PM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] Brave browser

How do we know this is a safe browser?



-- 
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)

          







Re: backing up thunderbird

Kevin Cussick
 

Hi, the easy way is download moz backup and install it this will back up everything I have used it for years. download link from my one drive folder below.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ame5fFtwuKO3zFyN0iTjnA0hiJe3

On 28/02/2019 21:07, Annette Moore wrote:
ron, does this save all of your configuration, as well as your messages? I care more about the configuration than about actually keeping any of my messages because it took about an hour for me to get everything I wanted/needed configured to the way I needed it sinceI have three email accounts. I have the instructions saved that Richard Wels gave me, but shoot, if I could back all that up and not have to go through that again with any clean install of thunderbird on a future new computer, that would be great!
Annette
On 2/28/2019 1:13 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:

Hi Group,


This probably varies from mail program to mail program, but when using Thunderbird, you can back up almost everything by doing the following.


1.  Close Thunderbird.

2.  From the run dialogue, type %appdata% and press enter.

3.  You are in the roaming folder.  This folder contains all the application data, settings, address book and e-mails from Thunderbird.

4.  navigate to the folder named Thunderbird and when highlighted, press control + C to copy that folder.

5.  Then paste this folder onto a thumb drive, external hard drive or some similar device and you have everything backed up.

6.  Now if for some reason, you need a fresh install of Thunderbird or if you get a new computer and use Thunderbird, you can simply install Thunderbird and navigate to the Roaming folder as described in steps 1 through 3 above and paste the contents of the Thunderbird folder that you have copied into the Roaming folder.


I do this every few days to keep the mail and settings of Thunderbird backed up.


On 2/28/2019 1:14 PM, marcio via Groups.Io wrote:
100% agreed. Very, very well said, indeed.

Now I definitely would like to know how I can backup my messages. I never did it before just because I never knew it was even possible. Help me with this, please?

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow or add me on Facebook <https://facebook.com/firirinfonfon>;

Em 28/02/2019 15:09, Travis Siegel escreveu:

Wishing something would go away because it doesn't fit your definition of what is useful is just plain silly.

If that were the case, then I wish narrator would go away, I whish jaws wold go away, I wish windows would go away. Hell, I wish microsoft would go away.

\See, it serves no purpose.

There are people who use pop3, and it works just fine for them. There are definitely use cases where pop3 is a better fit than imap, and there are use cases where imap is clearly the better alternative.  Wishing one or the other would go away is just ignorance talking.

If you don't wish to use it, then don't, but that doesn't mean that others who are fully aware of what they're getting, and do wish to use it shouldn't do so.  I for one much prefer pop3, for several reasons, including disk usage, security, issues, ease of backup, and others.

When folks talk about folks loosing years worth of emails because they used pop3, my question is did those folks ever backup their mail? I'm thinking no.  Sure, it's not the easiest thing to move mail from one email client to another, but you're just as likely to loose all your imap messages if your email provider goes bye-bye as well, and nobody here can tell me that's never happened.

It's six of one, and half dozen of the other, use what works for you, and allow others to use what works for them.


On 2/28/2019 12:47 PM, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:

With my old internet provider, I had a pop 3 account. After I got to a certain amount of messages, my email started bouncing. I don't think people are using pop so much anymore but I could be wrong. I wish pop 3 would go away too.

*From:*nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] *On Behalf Of *Sarah k Alawami
*Sent:* Thursday, February 28, 2019 8:27 AM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] POP is unwise [was: Being Unsubscribed for Marking Messages as Spam #adminnotice]

Yes you can. I have about 200 thousand messages on gmail's server and it doesn't really complain at me. You can also clean them up using iMap as well. I use iMap and wish that pop 3 would just go away and die. All the email and attachments are backed up in the cloud and no matter what device as stated you are on you can always get your mail. I lost over 3 years worth of messages once so am not going back to pop3.

On 28 Feb 2019, at 7:49, Gene wrote:

    I don't use IMAP so others can answer the question.  But I'm
    sure you can delete messages if you wish. As I understand it,
    you can keep a large number on the server if you wish.

    Gene

    ----- Original Message -----

    *From:*marcio via Groups.Io
    <mailto:marcinhorj21=yahoo.com.br@groups.io>

    *Sent:*Thursday, February 28, 2019 9:37 AM

    *To:*nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>

    *Subject:*Re: [nvda] POP is unwise [was: Being Unsubscribed for
    Marking Messages as Spam #adminnotice]

    Em 28/02/2019 12:34, Gene escreveu:

        unless you want a permanent collection of all your received
        messages off site.

    Does it means that using IMAP I won't be able to delete any
    message?

    Cheers,

    Marcio
    Follow or add me on Facebook <https://facebook.com/firirinfonfon>;
<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&;utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=icon>     Virus-free. www.avast.com <https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&;utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=link>

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"


Re: Windows OCR Programs for jpg and pdf files

ADRIAN POCOCK
 

Hi Kwork


One outstanding piece of software is OmniPage Ultimate.

It also has the ability to convert a document into mp3.

Depends if you want to spend a lot or not, if you are going to use it a lot then maybe or use an android phone using adobe and acrobat apps together which does work well but a bit of a learning curve.


Hope this helps a bit.

Best Adrian Pocock.

On 28/02/2019 21:52, Kwork wrote:
I'm looking for a good and NVDA accessible OCR program that will work on jpg and pdf files. I've heard that ABBYY FineReader has been recommended in the past, but wondered what would fill my needs now. I don't have a physical scanner, so that's not a consideration at this time. Thank you.

Travis





Re: Windows OCR Programs for jpg and pdf files

hurrikennyandopo ...
 

Hi


Try the following website i have not used it for a long time but was very accessible with nvda when i used it. It will do the formats you want and or convert them. I am sure it could ocr 2 in the document and email it back to you.


it can be found at https://www.robobraille.org/

It does the job well. You do not need a scanner.


hope it helps.


Gene nz


On 1/03/2019 10:52 AM, Kwork wrote:
I'm looking for a good and NVDA accessible OCR program that will work on jpg and pdf files. I've heard that ABBYY FineReader has been recommended in the past, but wondered what would fill my needs now. I don't have a physical scanner, so that's not a consideration at this time. Thank you.

Travis




--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net
 
Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which location (or locations) are nearest to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa).
To find out which software is installed on the APNK network please visit the following link http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/software To find out how to use NVDA on APNK computers please visit the following link http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/nvda
 

To find out which software is available on the Christchurch City Library network, and how to start the NVDA screen reader, please go to the following links. Software available  https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/faq/computers/#faq_5884  How to start the NVDA screen reader on Christchurch City Library computers  https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/faqs/what-screen-reader-software-is-available/
 
To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.


Re: Brave browser

James AUSTIN
 

Hi

I could be wrong about this so please correct me somebody if so, but I think that the suffix X 86 for program files points to user installed applications. The original program files points to applications installed by Windows. However in most installation wizards I have used you can choose where to install files.

Best wishes
James

On 28 Feb 2019, at 21:53, Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io <the.big.white.shepherd=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi, I installed the 64 bit butt yet it is in program files x86 and yes I am sure I have the 64 bit version. at least when I went to the download page it said 64 bit installer. any ideas anyone else had this?

On 28/02/2019 06:42, Mallard wrote:
Well, I haven't seen any ads at all in Brave, neither in Android nor in Windows.
If there are, they are well hidden. And if they're hidden, I don't see the purpose of having them at all
It's only fair that one should be wary.
Il 28/02/2019 04:45, Shaun Everiss ha scritto:

Well its the latest chromium alternertive.

FFull add blocking and extra security.

review here.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3292619/web-browsers/the-brave-browser-basics-what-it-does-how-it-differs-from-rivals.html

I do caution users, in the article link I pasted above the eventual plan for brave is to replace all adds from other's websites and tracks with its own adds and trackers or at least thats what I read.

Some antimalware and security tools detect brave as malware though they say its false.

Reviews seem generally good now, but I am not sure.

If this brouser is replacing adds with its own, there is no garantee that eventually you trade a malware free environment with using another echosystem, with its own adds, trackers, and malware thrown in.

This is a really new project, its not the first chromium sourced brouser and it will not be the last.

One other thing to note, its not a main stay brouser like chrome, firefox, ie and edge, so interface wize while it may be good, a supported brouser that is supported is better than one which may have issues.

Now saying that with nvda that probably doesn't matter as such because of the fact nvda itself is basically a scripted program built using modern techniques and using commen os access commands and apis.

But Its probable that if you run something like dolphin stuff you won't get access and its unlikely that it would be supported by jaws or anything like that.

The thing I don't care for is trading all the malware I have to deal with now with eventually another person's adds.

If I am ready to do this, I may as well uninstall my antimalware software and turn off my firewall.

Users do have glowing reviews right now but its new.


Now if you want to try it you probably won't have any issues doing so however who knows.

Ports come and go.

It may have some big names developing it but look at piriform.

CCleaner is a good program, it used to be really good till piriform went with avast.

Now ccleaner is its own malware, and sadly it does do malwareish things, trying to have quickclean run, and a entire load of other things I have to modify my ini file every day or so.

Its interface or at least the main interface panel is total crap access wize.

And it comes with avast which is total crap access wize to.

I used to use programs with dvdvideosoftware they used to have google spyware in them and I don't care about google because I use that but later it had conduit then opencandy, then a lot of other junk and I had to get rid of it and reformat my system to get rid of all the extra junkware.

Sadly it seems to be the rage, any software that is bundled with any software is pritty much malware because most of the time the user has not requested that software so its malware.

THats another issue with brave, it does not block google adds or google trackers, so we know who is funding brave now.

Now if brave got cash from doubleclick, yahoo adds and all the other add makers to have their adds unblocked then we have a problem.

I know that with waterfox I have full control, and I have blocked google and all sort of extras.



On 28/02/2019 11:12 AM, Gene wrote:
If people do a Google or other search engine search for something like Brave browser review, they may find knowledgeable assessments of the browser.
Gene
----- Original Message -----
*From:* Dan Beaver <mailto:dbeaver888@gmail.com>
*Sent:* Wednesday, February 27, 2019 4:09 PM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] Brave browser

How do we know this is a safe browser?



--
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)


Re: saving emails

 

How does one do it?
Em 28/02/2019 19:03, Sarah k Alawami escreveu:

I save the raw text of the email, I have over the years kept a few hundred this way and it works. The raw source allows me to open it up where ever I need to and it reads just fine.

Take care

On 28 Feb 2019, at 13:12, Annette Moore wrote:

Any email I want to keep I just copy into Notepad and save as a text file. I actually keep very little. I keep more stuff from this list than anywhere else because of all the helpful tips/suggestions posted.

Annette

On 2/28/2019 2:10 PM, Kwork wrote:

I still use pop as I don't generally keep emails beyond a certain time frame except digital receipts, which I save when received. As I usually only check email on the computer, hardly using my phone as an email client as of yet, pop works well enough for me for now. Should that change, I'll change. I don't feel either to be more or less secure than the other, just different depending on the needs/desires of the end user.

Travis

On 2/28/2019 9:33 AM, Antony Stone wrote:

Thanks for the comprehensive clarification of what you meant by "unwise".

I agree that IMAP is better-featured, supports multiple devices more easily,
and places the data retention responsibility on your service provider rather
than you.

I still think this doesn't equate to "unwise", however - POP3 may be more
limited, and it's certainly older (although that doesn't necessarily mean
worse), but as you say, depending on your requirements there is nothing unwise
about POP3.

Thanks again,


Antony.

On Thursday 28 February 2019 at 17:21:06, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 09:35 AM, Antony Stone wrote:

What is unwise about using POP these days?

1. If you only access your e-mail from one, and only one, device, and wish
to be responsible for backing up all the messages that exist only on your
device after download, and you wish to be responsible for trying to port a
huge number of messages from one e-mail client to another should you
choose to change clients then there is nothing unwise about POP.

2.  If you're like most users these days, and you have every intention of
accessing your e-mail messages on multiple devices while having what each
"sees" remain in sync, then POP as conventionally configured does a
horrible job of supporting that while IMAP is designed to support that
from the get-go.

3. IMAP messages and all folders associated with same are retained on the
e-mail server and, as a result, are part of the data center's daily (if
not more frequent) backup protocol.  The probability of ever losing
something permanently is exceedingly small.  By contrast, I have seen POP
users lose years worth of downloaded messages on several occasions when
they were not backing up their own computers and their hard drives failed
catastrophically.

The fact of the matter is that POP (Post Office Protocol) was the first
e-mail protocol and really is an anachronism that remains supported in the
name of backward compatibility.   It's shortcomings are myriad, and
particularly when you want e-mail synchronization and portability from
device to device to device over time to be almost effortless (you only
have to set up the account again if you're using IMAP and - poof, like
magic - all of your messages and folders appear).

IMAP is also more space efficient on your own device, because only message
headers are downloaded for presentation in the message list in folders,
with the exception of the most recent messages, which will often have
message bodies downloaded in advance as well for some time period back
from today (say, 2 weeks - it's configurable) because the probability of
actual accessing of newer messages is far, far higher than old ones.   You
can also specify specific messages to retain their local message bodies
permanently if you know you make very frequent reference to them so
they'll be available even if you're offline.

For the way most people use e-mail these days, including the bulk of folks
here, as many describe having computer(s) and smartphone(s) on which they
wish to get their e-mail, using the access method suited to it, and that
protects the actual message data the best, is what's wisest. If your
e-mail service provides IMAP access, well . . .

If you fit the profile I noted in #1 above then nothing that follows it is
relevant to you.  I find it improbable that everything in #1 above applies
to practically anyone these days.

[And, before anyone jumps in with, "But you can configure POP to leave
messages on the server!," well, yes, you can, but you have to make the
effort to do that in the vast majority of cases, and many would have
absolutely no idea of how to do so.  Why use an antiquated protocol that
must be rigged when a better alternative exists?]
--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763

*A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need
for illusion is deep.*

           ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back



Re: Chat Solutions for NVDA users

Sarah k Alawami
 

II actually use slack for mac, dunno how it works in widnows but we ave 2 ios users, a mac and windows user who all use slack. What issues are you having?

On 28 Feb 2019, at 13:24, Sam Bushman wrote:

Hi All,

 

I have a huge need to be on a slack / Microsoft teams solution in the corporate world. In fact I am the IT Manager for the company and project.

I know slack doesn’t talk well and Microsoft teams is quite a huge pain to configure and administer.

 

Does anyone have a great alternative for a slack like system that we can use well with speech and that also works well for the sighted? Needs to support all the common platforms as well.

 

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

 

Thanks,

Sam Bushman

 


Re: saving emails

Sarah k Alawami
 

I save the raw text of the email, I have over the years kept a few hundred this way and it works. The raw source allows me to open it up where ever I need to and it reads just fine.

Take care

On 28 Feb 2019, at 13:12, Annette Moore wrote:

Any email I want to keep I just copy into Notepad and save as a text file. I actually keep very little. I keep more stuff from this list than anywhere else because of all the helpful tips/suggestions posted.

Annette

On 2/28/2019 2:10 PM, Kwork wrote:

I still use pop as I don't generally keep emails beyond a certain time frame except digital receipts, which I save when received. As I usually only check email on the computer, hardly using my phone as an email client as of yet, pop works well enough for me for now. Should that change, I'll change. I don't feel either to be more or less secure than the other, just different depending on the needs/desires of the end user.

Travis

On 2/28/2019 9:33 AM, Antony Stone wrote:

Thanks for the comprehensive clarification of what you meant by "unwise".

I agree that IMAP is better-featured, supports multiple devices more easily,
and places the data retention responsibility on your service provider rather
than you.

I still think this doesn't equate to "unwise", however - POP3 may be more
limited, and it's certainly older (although that doesn't necessarily mean
worse), but as you say, depending on your requirements there is nothing unwise
about POP3.

Thanks again,


Antony.

On Thursday 28 February 2019 at 17:21:06, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 09:35 AM, Antony Stone wrote:

What is unwise about using POP these days?

1. If you only access your e-mail from one, and only one, device, and wish
to be responsible for backing up all the messages that exist only on your
device after download, and you wish to be responsible for trying to port a
huge number of messages from one e-mail client to another should you
choose to change clients then there is nothing unwise about POP.

2.  If you're like most users these days, and you have every intention of
accessing your e-mail messages on multiple devices while having what each
"sees" remain in sync, then POP as conventionally configured does a
horrible job of supporting that while IMAP is designed to support that
from the get-go.

3. IMAP messages and all folders associated with same are retained on the
e-mail server and, as a result, are part of the data center's daily (if
not more frequent) backup protocol.  The probability of ever losing
something permanently is exceedingly small.  By contrast, I have seen POP
users lose years worth of downloaded messages on several occasions when
they were not backing up their own computers and their hard drives failed
catastrophically.

The fact of the matter is that POP (Post Office Protocol) was the first
e-mail protocol and really is an anachronism that remains supported in the
name of backward compatibility.   It's shortcomings are myriad, and
particularly when you want e-mail synchronization and portability from
device to device to device over time to be almost effortless (you only
have to set up the account again if you're using IMAP and - poof, like
magic - all of your messages and folders appear).

IMAP is also more space efficient on your own device, because only message
headers are downloaded for presentation in the message list in folders,
with the exception of the most recent messages, which will often have
message bodies downloaded in advance as well for some time period back
from today (say, 2 weeks - it's configurable) because the probability of
actual accessing of newer messages is far, far higher than old ones.   You
can also specify specific messages to retain their local message bodies
permanently if you know you make very frequent reference to them so
they'll be available even if you're offline.

For the way most people use e-mail these days, including the bulk of folks
here, as many describe having computer(s) and smartphone(s) on which they
wish to get their e-mail, using the access method suited to it, and that
protects the actual message data the best, is what's wisest. If your
e-mail service provides IMAP access, well . . .

If you fit the profile I noted in #1 above then nothing that follows it is
relevant to you.  I find it improbable that everything in #1 above applies
to practically anyone these days.

[And, before anyone jumps in with, "But you can configure POP to leave
messages on the server!," well, yes, you can, but you have to make the
effort to do that in the vast majority of cases, and many would have
absolutely no idea of how to do so.  Why use an antiquated protocol that
must be rigged when a better alternative exists?]
--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763

*A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need
for illusion is deep.*

           ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back


Re: virtualbox gui

James AUSTIN
 

Hi

The V box manage command gives you access to everything where is the GUI does not.

Having said that it is possible to use the GUI with NVDA if you follow the instructions found in the virtual box manual. I think in either chapter 1 or chapter 2. This should give you enough information to make use of the GUI with nvda

Best wishes
James

On 28 Feb 2019, at 14:18, mattias <mjonsson1986@gmail.com> wrote:

i like the gui better

Den 2019-02-27 kl. 18:30, skrev Didier Colle:
Hi,

Not really an answer to your question, but is there any reason why you
need the GUI?
I am happy to use the vboxmanage command (simple purely text based
command with all possible flexibility I ever needed so far...) in a
cygwin shell window...

Kind regards,

Didier

mattias writes:

how can jaws read the virtualbox gui without issues

jaws 2018

but nvda cant realy do that yet




Re: Brave browser

Kevin Cussick
 

Hi, I installed the 64 bit butt yet it is in program files x86 and yes I am sure I have the 64 bit version. at least when I went to the download page it said 64 bit installer. any ideas anyone else had this?

On 28/02/2019 06:42, Mallard wrote:
Well, I haven't seen any ads at all in Brave, neither in Android nor in Windows.
If there are, they are well hidden. And if they're hidden, I don't see the purpose of having them at all
It's only fair that one should be wary.
Il 28/02/2019 04:45, Shaun Everiss ha scritto:

Well its the latest chromium alternertive.

FFull add blocking and extra security.

review here.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3292619/web-browsers/the-brave-browser-basics-what-it-does-how-it-differs-from-rivals.html

I do caution users, in the article link I pasted above the eventual plan for brave is to replace all adds from other's websites and tracks with its own adds and trackers or at least thats what I read.

Some antimalware and security tools detect brave as malware though they say its false.

Reviews seem generally good now, but I am not sure.

If this brouser is replacing adds with its own, there is no garantee that eventually you trade a malware free environment with using another echosystem, with its own adds, trackers, and malware thrown in.

This is a really new project, its not the first chromium sourced brouser and it will not be the last.

One other thing to note, its not a main stay brouser like chrome, firefox, ie and edge, so interface wize while it may be good, a supported brouser that is supported is better than one which may have issues.

Now saying that with nvda that probably doesn't matter as such because of the fact nvda itself is basically a scripted program built using modern techniques and using commen os access commands and apis.

But Its probable that if you run something like dolphin stuff you won't get access and its unlikely that it would be supported by jaws or anything like that.

The thing I don't care for is trading all the malware I have to deal with now with eventually another person's adds.

If I am ready to do this, I may as well uninstall my antimalware software and turn off my firewall.

Users do have glowing reviews right now but its new.


Now if you want to try it you probably won't have any issues doing so however who knows.

Ports come and go.

It may have some big names developing it but look at piriform.

CCleaner is a good program, it used to be really good till piriform went with avast.

Now ccleaner is its own malware, and sadly it does do malwareish things, trying to have quickclean run, and a entire load of other things I have to modify my ini file every day or so.

Its interface or at least the main interface panel is total crap access wize.

And it comes with avast which is total crap access wize to.

I used to use programs with dvdvideosoftware they used to have google spyware in them and I don't care about google because I use that but later it had conduit then opencandy, then a lot of other junk and I had to get rid of it and reformat my system to get rid of all the extra junkware.

Sadly it seems to be the rage, any software that is bundled with any software is pritty much malware because most of the time the user has not requested that software so its malware.

THats another issue with brave, it does not block google adds or google trackers, so we know who is funding brave now.

Now if brave got cash from doubleclick, yahoo adds and all the other add makers to have their adds unblocked then we have a problem.

I know that with waterfox I have full control, and I have blocked google and all sort of extras.



On 28/02/2019 11:12 AM, Gene wrote:
If people do a Google or other search engine search for something like Brave browser review, they may find knowledgeable assessments of the browser.
Gene
----- Original Message -----
*From:* Dan Beaver <mailto:dbeaver888@gmail.com>
*Sent:* Wednesday, February 27, 2019 4:09 PM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] Brave browser

How do we know this is a safe browser?



--
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)


Windows OCR Programs for jpg and pdf files

Kwork
 

I'm looking for a good and NVDA accessible OCR program that will work on jpg and pdf files. I've heard that ABBYY FineReader has been recommended in the past, but wondered what would fill my needs now. I don't have a physical scanner, so that's not a consideration at this time. Thank you.

Travis