Date   

Re: Converting epub to pdf

Sile
 

Hello Olie


Just noticing this thread.  Would you be willing to participate in the little EPub survey we are running right now?  It is an attempt to feed back to publishers how people are working with EPubs and this would be really valuable input.


Here is the link to the survey.


https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdaTt__XoOHp0Fp-WOP2KwN12Ku0bxISOCmGhFqraka_Y3oMg/viewform?usp=sf_link <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdaTt__XoOHp0Fp-WOP2KwN12Ku0bxISOCmGhFqraka_Y3oMg/viewform


If you have time to complete it (I think it takes about 3 minutes) we would really appreciate your input.


Yours,


--Sile

On 2019-03-09 3:08 p.m., Mallard wrote:
Hello Travis,


Given that this is an excellent solution, if someone doesn't want to go down that road, I think the best way to read epubs right now is with Edge.


At the top of the page you have two buttons, for Previous page and Next page.


When you finish one page, all you haveto do is to press Shift+B and click on Next page.


If the epub is an original, not converted from other formats, Edge maintains all its links, and ou can navigate it very easili.


Actually, I've had books that maintained their links even when converted from other formats. I don't know what makes Edge decide which ones to keep and which ones to drop...


Ciao,

Ollie




Il 09/03/2019 18:15, Travis Siegel ha scritto:
Just for reference, an epub file is just a normal zip file with html files inside.  All you need to do to read it is unzip it into the directory of your choice, then locate the html files inside the directory structure, and simply open them with your browser. In my personal opinion, that's way easier than the shoddy support that pdf files have on the pc.

Of course, this won't work with DRM protected epubs, but otherwise, it works like a charm, and this is the way I read all of my epub books.

Mostly because I haven't found a decent epub reader, but even if I did, I'd probably keep using this format anyhow, just because it's what I'm used to.

On 3/8/2019 9:15 AM, ADRIAN POCOCK wrote:

[Edited Message Fol





Re: braille edge

 

She should press NVDA+n, down arow to preferences, right arrow to
settings enter on settings, down arro to braille, tap to braille
properties and choose the braille display and tap to okay and press
enter. One also may choose automatic instead of a particular braille
display.

On 5/23/19, Mallard <mallard@kimabe.eu> wrote:
Talking about Braille Edge, a friend of mine pointed out to me that in
the latest version of NVDA there are no more drivers for Hims devices.


She has a BrailleSense, and doesn't know how to connect it to her pc
after NVDA updated.


Could anyone help, please?


Thanks in advance.

Ciao,

Ollie




Il 23/05/2019 01:06, Grant Metcalf ha scritto:
I had a Braille Edge and now have a QBraille XL.  I also notice that
from time to time there seems to be a blank line while reading. This
always seems to be at the end of a paragraph or a hard return. When I
up arrow it often goes away. However, I haven't used this with NVDA so
far.
Grant


-----Original Message----- From: Nevzat Adil
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2019 12:01 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] braille edge

I am a literary braille proofreader and use Braille Edge for my work.
The main drawback I encountered so far is that occasionally it shows
an empty line where it's not supposed to be.
I have already let the HIMS no about this and hopefully it will be
fixed soon.
It can also be used as a standalone notetaker, but limitted to text
and brf files.
Nevzat


On 5/22/19, Fernando Apan <ferapan@utexas.edu> wrote:
Hello. For me, working with my braille edge and NVDA has been a very
good
experience, however, the arrow keys doesn???t seem to work with NVDA
as they
do in other screen readers. Does anybody know if they have fixed this
problem so far?
Fernando Apan

Enviado desde mi iPhone

El 22 may 2019, a las 8:39, Cecelia Rodriguez <cessbraille@gmail.com>
escribi??:


                             I love my braille edge with NVDA.
                            rent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Robert Doc Wright godfearer
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2019 6:25 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] braille edge

I have been using mine now for a year this month. Before this my last
braille display was the Braille Light 40 back in 99. I gave it back
because I was taking programming classes and it would not have
helped me
in that effort as far as being able to run the program I wrote. The
BrailleEdge40 I am enjoying for both reading and writing. Be aware
that if
you are also wanting to go on-line then you will either have to
Bluetooth
it to your phone or connect it to your pc. It does not have these
capabilities on its own. Its  memory is based on the size of the SD
card
you install. Let me know if I can help in any other way.


                                                     If all I have
left in
this world is God, I have everything!




Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Ashley Wayne
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 10:20 PM
To: Nvda
Subject: [nvda] braille edge

Hi all,
Could anyone tell me of their experiences using NVDA with the
Braille Edge
from HIMS?  I???m considering purchasing one but would just love some
personal feedback.  Does it work well specifically for editing
documents?
Thanks so much.
Ashley


Sent from Mail for Windows 10



Virus-free. www.avg.com






--
Nevzat Adil
Library of Congress Certified Braille Proofreader
C: 512 502 4403
e-mail: nevzatadil@gmail.com
Facebook: m.facebook.com/LiteraryBrailleProofreader


Re: no braille output from input help

Felix G.
 

Hi,
in the Braille preferences, you can specify how long, in seconds,
messages should be displayed. Could it be that you have set this to
zero?
Best,
Felix

Am Do., 23. Mai 2019 um 12:40 Uhr schrieb Rui Fontes
<rui.fontes@tiflotecnia.com>:


Hello!

Have you tried with add-ons deactived?
Specially Braille Extender...

Rui Fontes


Às 07:48 de 23/05/2019, Brian Tew via Groups.Io escreveu:
Greetings,
when I press nvda+1 to get input help braille ceases.
Audio continues properly, but I cannot hear it well enough to decipher some of the weirder items.
When I press nvda+1 again braille returns to normal.
Any ideas as to cause or remedy? Thanks.
Using latest nvda and windows 10, braille extender, 64-bit desktop and focus blue 40 5th generation.







Re: no braille output from input help

Rui Fontes
 

Hello!

Have you tried with add-ons deactived?
Specially Braille Extender...

Rui Fontes


Às 07:48 de 23/05/2019, Brian Tew via Groups.Io escreveu:

Greetings,
when I press nvda+1 to get input help braille ceases.
Audio continues properly, but I cannot hear it well enough to decipher some of the weirder items.
When I press nvda+1 again braille returns to normal.
Any ideas as to cause or remedy? Thanks.
Using latest nvda and windows 10, braille extender, 64-bit desktop and focus blue 40 5th generation.


Re: question about using NVDA with iTunes

Ralf Kefferpuetz
 

I'm running iTunes 12.6.3.6
, which is a version for companies, means it still includes the app management portion and the menu is fully accessible, as supposed, Alt opens the File menu and arrowing right jumps to the Edit, app, view menu and so on....

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Felix G.
Sent: Donnerstag, 23. Mai 2019 08:40
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] question about using NVDA with iTunes

Here's an iTunes with NVDA question: What's the secret to navigating the menu bar? Pressing alt then arrow keys will neither read nor Braille anything useful.
Is there an up-to-date tutorial somewhere?
Btw, I found no web-app-like structure in iTunes. Sure, some panels are web views, but to call it a web app??
Best,
Felix


Re: Tor browser 8.5 is accessible again

Gene
 

I was worried that accessibility might be neglected indefinitely since it was something like seven months since the inaccessible version came out.  That's good that they solved the problems.
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2019 4:10 AM
Subject: [nvda] Tor browser 8.5 is accessible again

Hi all,
For those who have been using TOR and found that it became inaccessible
with NVDA, here is a good news.
 From the latest release note, it mentioned that works have been done on
the accessibility issue.
  I tested out the latest version and found that the browser is
accessable again using NVDA.





Re: braille edge

Mallard
 

Talking about Braille Edge, a friend of mine pointed out to me that in the latest version of NVDA there are no more drivers for Hims devices.


She has a BrailleSense, and doesn't know how to connect it to her pc after NVDA updated.


Could anyone help, please?


Thanks in advance.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 23/05/2019 01:06, Grant Metcalf ha scritto:
I had a Braille Edge and now have a QBraille XL.  I also notice that from time to time there seems to be a blank line while reading. This always seems to be at the end of a paragraph or a hard return. When I up arrow it often goes away. However, I haven't used this with NVDA so far.
Grant


-----Original Message----- From: Nevzat Adil
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2019 12:01 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] braille edge

I am a literary braille proofreader and use Braille Edge for my work.
The main drawback I encountered so far is that occasionally it shows
an empty line where it's not supposed to be.
I have already let the HIMS no about this and hopefully it will be fixed soon.
It can also be used as a standalone notetaker, but limitted to text
and brf files.
Nevzat


On 5/22/19, Fernando Apan <ferapan@utexas.edu> wrote:
Hello. For me, working with my braille edge and NVDA has been a very good
experience, however, the arrow keys doesn???t seem to work with NVDA as they
do in other screen readers. Does anybody know if they have fixed this
problem so far?
Fernando Apan

Enviado desde mi iPhone

El 22 may 2019, a las 8:39, Cecelia Rodriguez <cessbraille@gmail.com>
escribi??:


                             I love my braille edge with NVDA.
                            rent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Robert Doc Wright godfearer
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2019 6:25 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] braille edge

I have been using mine now for a year this month. Before this my last
braille display was the Braille Light 40 back in 99. I gave it back
because I was taking programming classes and it would not have helped me
in that effort as far as being able to run the program I wrote. The
BrailleEdge40 I am enjoying for both reading and writing. Be aware that if
you are also wanting to go on-line then you will either have to Bluetooth
it to your phone or connect it to your pc. It does not have these
capabilities on its own. Its  memory is based on the size of the SD card
you install. Let me know if I can help in any other way.


                                                     If all I have left in
this world is God, I have everything!




Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Ashley Wayne
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 10:20 PM
To: Nvda
Subject: [nvda] braille edge

Hi all,
Could anyone tell me of their experiences using NVDA with the Braille Edge
from HIMS?  I???m considering purchasing one but would just love some
personal feedback.  Does it work well specifically for editing documents?
Thanks so much.
Ashley


Sent from Mail for Windows 10



Virus-free. www.avg.com





Tor browser 8.5 is accessible again

Mr. Wong Chi Wai, William <cwwong.pro@...>
 

Hi all,
For those who have been using TOR and found that it became inaccessible with NVDA, here is a good news.
From the latest release note, it mentioned that works have been done on the accessibility issue.
 I tested out the latest version and found that the browser is accessable again using NVDA.


locked Re: NVDA versus JAWS

Vlad Dragomir
 

Hello,

 

I’m throwing out  a bit of feedback as well. I use NVDA almost exclusively nowadays. However, I keep preferring the JAWS cursor approach, compared to the concept of screen review found in NVDA. Moreover, JAWS seems to be somewhat better at dealing with programs that haven’t been designed with accessibility in mind. One example to illustrate this: There is a software I use a lot, it’s called Uninstall Tool. It helps uninstall programs by also cleaning up everything they leave behind, which most stand-alone uninstallers do not do unfortunately. In this software, there is a place where we can choose what category of “uninstallable” apps we want to display. That part hasn’t been designed to be reach with the keyboard. With JAWS, I can painlessly find those categories with the JAWScursor,left-click the one I want, and boom, the list opens. On the other hand, when using screen review in NVDA, those categories aren’t even being announced, it’s as if they didn’t exist at all. Therefore, for that program and a few others, I am forced o switch to JAWS.

 

Back to the original question now. Personally, I would advise having both screen readers installed, you can never know what surprises you might have, especially if you try to use different new programs for different purposes. I truly wish NVDA became better at seeing and reporting things that it’s not supposed to, to deal with those situations in which a software creator doesn’t care about accessibility. If I’m not mistaken, JAWS uses a special driver that interacts directly with the graphic card or the video driver, something that NVDA doesn’t do. I might be wrong here, I remember reading about this somewhere long time ago, that’s all.

 

I hope this annoying story is going to help your decision a little bit.

 

Warm regards from Europe,

 

Vlad.


no braille output from input help

Brian Tew
 

Greetings,
when I press nvda+1 to get input help braille ceases.
Audio continues properly, but I cannot hear it well enough to decipher some of the weirder items.
When I press nvda+1 again braille returns to normal.
Any ideas as to cause or remedy? Thanks.
Using latest nvda and windows 10, braille extender, 64-bit desktop and focus blue 40 5th generation.


Re: question about using NVDA with iTunes

Felix G.
 

Here's an iTunes with NVDA question: What's the secret to navigating
the menu bar? Pressing alt then arrow keys will neither read nor
Braille anything useful.
Is there an up-to-date tutorial somewhere?
Btw, I found no web-app-like structure in iTunes. Sure, some panels
are web views, but to call it a web app??
Best,
Felix


Re: question about using NVDA with iTunes

Felix G.
 

Hi,
wow, did I miss something crucial? They turned it into a web app?
Haven't looked at it in a while as I found it clunky and slow and just
not fun to use.
Best,
Felix

Am Do., 23. Mai 2019 um 00:54 Uhr schrieb Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@gmail.com>:


Well being that itunes is a web app most nvda web commands should work, it has a few treeviews in it to though.

I think this is all on this though.



On 23/05/2019 10:49 AM, Quentin Christensen wrote:

With Nimer's points in mind, I'll just add:

- NVDA doesn't have any specific keystrokes purely for iTunes, so getting around iTunes should be a matter of either its own inbuilt keystrokes, or standard NVDA or Windows keys.

A quick google search for "iTunes pc keyboard shortcuts" found this article from Apple themselves with keystrokes for iTunes: https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/itunes/keyboard-shortcuts-itns1019/windows

Looking on our GitHub issue tracker, we only have one open issue which even mentions iTunes - and that is for a more generic drag and drop functionality which mentions iTunes as an example where it could be used. So, if there are any specific issues with NVDA in iTunes, (and you've exhausted that it's not just a matter of finding the right existing keystroke etc), please do let us know about them.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 8:44 AM Nimer Jaber <nimerjaber1@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

this is a note to anyone who may respond to this thread. If you respond, please try to think of how NVDA may relate to the response. If, as I suspect, the issue is more about how to use iTunes, then please refrain from responding. There are many lists where this question is on topic, one of them being the chat subgroup.

Thanks.

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 3:41 PM Wayne Scott <waynedscottjr@gmail.com> wrote:


I am trying to move around my iTunes library with NVDA on my PC. I want to go in and delete songs and albums, but cannot figure out how. I have Windows 10 and am using the latest update on NVDA, a _not. Wayne Scott ver
Chime bear
musical notesbear face


--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

The message above is intended for the recipient to whom it was
addressed. If you believe that you are not the intended recipient,
please notify me via reply email and destroy all copies of this
correspondence. Action taken as a result of this email or its contents
by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) may result in civil or
criminal charges. I have checked this email and all corresponding
attachments for security threats. However, security of your machine is
up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

To find out about a free and versatile screen reader for windows XP
and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter for the latest technology news.

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (970) (393-4481) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly. Thank
you, and have a great day!


--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess


locked Re: NVDA versus JAWS

Sky Mundell
 

Hello Erick. I have to agree with you. To add to your post, JAWS no longer works with the spellchecker in Office 2019. Meaning, if you push f7, JAWS is just going to say ignore button and nothing else. This started happening in JAWS 18 and it still happens to this day. Needless to say, I'm disappointed with the state of it. When I started using it in 3.5 days, it was perfect! Sure it had its faults, but it at that time was still in the employ of Henter-Joyce, under the direction of a man named Ted Henter who was blind. Now days, JAWS seems to be going downhill. Sad to say, whenever you're at the top, you tend to sit back a little bit. And when you are the second, you tend to work harder. It's honestly sad to watch JAWS go downhill. Fortunately, some if not all agencies are waking up and realising that they're not getting what they are paying for with JAWS updates.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of erik burggraaf
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2019 5:32 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io; Aine Kelly Costello
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA versus JAWS

Greetings,

On May 21, 2019 9:04:07 PM "Aine Kelly Costello" <ainekc@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,

New here and my apologies if this topic has been well-covered before but
I’ve not found an efficient ways to search group archives yet!

This topic gets bogged down in politics anyway and it's a personal
favourite of mine.

I’m switching back to Windows after using a Mac for a couple of years, as
I’ll be studying investigative journalism and am fairly sure I’ll find any
software we need to use etc. to work better on Windows than Mac (still
getting info on that).

I think that's a gross generalization. If I could use mac for everything,
I would. Windows is OK for the asics, especially if you have a good means
of flashing back to a known good configuration, but I don't like it for the
high performance applications I need.


My question is: can you tell me about anything that springs to mind that
NVDA does particularly poorly that JAWS does well? In the domains of MS
Word, excel and web browsing, in particular.

Interesting turn of phrase. I'm biassed but in my experience the reverse
is true. I just started a training for a customer using jaws that wanted
to learn flipp. I didn't think it would be an issue, since I had just used
flipp in chrome with nvda very well. With jaws, it was just really clunky
and gross. The customer got so frustrated. I tried chrome and edge with
flipp and with other more basic sites and wasn't really pleased with any of
it. Speaking of webpage summaries was very random. Some webpages loaded
on screen but not in virtual buffer. It was discouraging.

I did have to turn a formula bar setting off in NVDA so that I could use
inline editing for cells in excel spreadsheets last term. I forget where
the setting is now, but could find it if needed. Other than that, I
haven't had any problems in word or excel using nvda. I've done some
complex reports with tables of content, heading structures, and
bibliographies and have never had trouble getting formatting information
and finding the options I need.

On the other hand, I went out to do a training for a college student using
jaws for an excel course, and it was brootal. He had some intermitant
focus issue where he couldn't navigate cells. Then he would restart the
computer and things would work for a bit. Then it would poop out on him.
In the spring I went out to do a jaws training and the customer had his
authorization fail. List indexes aren't being reported properly. The mail
app that comes with windows 10 is doing screwie things, and jaws loses
focus in html content such as webpages and emails.

OK, these are small sample sizes, but it seems to me as though jaws screws
up all the time nowadays. I figure, if something goes wrong with NVDA:
*Odds are good it'll be fixed in months rather than years.
*I haven't paid anything out of pocket.
*There's a strong support community and excellent documentation.

Honestly, I don't see what you would get out of jaws that you wouldn't get
from either nvda or voiceover.

I imagine JAWS is well-ahead of NVDA in OCRing by now, for instance, but
perhaps there’s enough free software around to do this efficiently now that
that’s not a big deal any more … thoughts?

OCR is a nonstarter. Everything does it now. Just pull out your phone and
get'er done. Realisticly, almost all daily computing such as email, web,
simple word processing and document reading can and probably should be done
on mobile anyway. I have 4 email accounts on my phone, and only one on
each of my development machines, and I'm writing this email from my phone
where I'm sitting comfortably on a bus with a work table in front of
me.Thanks very much in advance,

Best wishes,

Áine


Re: Function Needed and Price Therefor

Quentin Christensen
 

With our issue tracker, the easiest place to start is:  https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues

Type your query into the edit box and it will find any issues with those keywords.  Firstly it will display open issues (issues which are not yet resolved).  There will be links saying "4 open", and "12 closed" (I just made up those numbers obviously), if you activate the "x closed" link, it will show you closed issues relating to your search.

If you activate the "New issue" button, it will first get you to choose whether you are reporting a bug (something which should work but doesn't), or a "feature request" (a new feature you'd like to see, or a new program you'd like to have support added for).

After selecting either, as you type the subject into the edit field, it will suggest issues which may match what you are looking for below that.  You can either go to one of those issues, or ignore them and add the new issue anyway.

You are, of course, welcome to bring thoughts or questions here first - sometimes there might be a way to do something already or a reason something is the way it is - whatever you are comfortable with.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 9:19 AM Ed Marquette <marquette.ed@...> wrote:
Thank you.
I did not know one could go to a list of open issues.
That is really fantastic.
Thank you.



On May 22, 2019, at 6:04 PM, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:

Hi Ed,

We are certainly aware of the request for this feature and that it is something a few people want.  Here is one of our open issues which references it: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/6360

Given that it is also references by the "Speech refactor" project - something we are working on which will hopefully make it easier to tailor speech like this, it might be worth being patient until later in the year when this can hopefully be implemented a little easier.

To your original question though - absolutely it is possible to commission someone to create add-ons.  We all know there is an industry of people who write scripts for.... other screen readers.... and the fact is the same could exist for NVDA - in fact, add-ons can be even more powerful if created by someone familiar with Python and our Add-on system.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 8:43 AM Ed Marquette <marquette.ed@...> wrote:
All:
I have refrained from commenting on the NVDA v. JAWS thread.  The fact is that both are powerful.  I’ve switched to NVDA primarily because JAWS just does not work with critical applications I use at my firm.  JAWS slows down Outlook and two other crucial applications to the point that they just cannot be used.
NVDA, by contrast, runs like the wind.
There is one feature that existed in JAWS that I miss terribly in NVDA.  In JAWS, one can set capitalization recognition to occur when reading, not just by letter or by word, but also by line.  There is no equivalent setting in NVDA, and I have found no Add-in to offer this functionality.
Is it off-limits to offer to pay someone to create an add-in to add that functionality to NVDA





--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 


Re: Function Needed and Price Therefor

Ed Marquette
 

Thank you.
I did not know one could go to a list of open issues.
That is really fantastic.
Thank you.



On May 22, 2019, at 6:04 PM, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:

Hi Ed,

We are certainly aware of the request for this feature and that it is something a few people want.  Here is one of our open issues which references it: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/6360

Given that it is also references by the "Speech refactor" project - something we are working on which will hopefully make it easier to tailor speech like this, it might be worth being patient until later in the year when this can hopefully be implemented a little easier.

To your original question though - absolutely it is possible to commission someone to create add-ons.  We all know there is an industry of people who write scripts for.... other screen readers.... and the fact is the same could exist for NVDA - in fact, add-ons can be even more powerful if created by someone familiar with Python and our Add-on system.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 8:43 AM Ed Marquette <marquette.ed@...> wrote:
All:
I have refrained from commenting on the NVDA v. JAWS thread.  The fact is that both are powerful.  I’ve switched to NVDA primarily because JAWS just does not work with critical applications I use at my firm.  JAWS slows down Outlook and two other crucial applications to the point that they just cannot be used.
NVDA, by contrast, runs like the wind.
There is one feature that existed in JAWS that I miss terribly in NVDA.  In JAWS, one can set capitalization recognition to occur when reading, not just by letter or by word, but also by line.  There is no equivalent setting in NVDA, and I have found no Add-in to offer this functionality.
Is it off-limits to offer to pay someone to create an add-in to add that functionality to NVDA





--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 


Re: Remote add-on not present

Richard Wells
 

2.2 is the latest Remote Add-on.

On 5/22/2019 1:37 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
Hi,
A friend is running the latest NVDA on windows 7 64.
He added the remote add-in, 2.1 and it does not show up in tools.
I have the same setup and it is there in mine.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
 


Re: braille edge

Grant Metcalf
 

I had a Braille Edge and now have a QBraille XL. I also notice that from time to time there seems to be a blank line while reading. This always seems to be at the end of a paragraph or a hard return. When I up arrow it often goes away. However, I haven't used this with NVDA so far.
Grant

-----Original Message-----
From: Nevzat Adil
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2019 12:01 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] braille edge

I am a literary braille proofreader and use Braille Edge for my work.
The main drawback I encountered so far is that occasionally it shows
an empty line where it's not supposed to be.
I have already let the HIMS no about this and hopefully it will be fixed soon.
It can also be used as a standalone notetaker, but limitted to text
and brf files.
Nevzat


On 5/22/19, Fernando Apan <ferapan@utexas.edu> wrote:
Hello. For me, working with my braille edge and NVDA has been a very good
experience, however, the arrow keys doesn???t seem to work with NVDA as they
do in other screen readers. Does anybody know if they have fixed this
problem so far?
Fernando Apan

Enviado desde mi iPhone

El 22 may 2019, a las 8:39, Cecelia Rodriguez <cessbraille@gmail.com>
escribi??:


I love my braille edge with NVDA.
rent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Robert Doc Wright godfearer
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2019 6:25 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] braille edge

I have been using mine now for a year this month. Before this my last
braille display was the Braille Light 40 back in 99. I gave it back
because I was taking programming classes and it would not have helped me
in that effort as far as being able to run the program I wrote. The
BrailleEdge40 I am enjoying for both reading and writing. Be aware that if
you are also wanting to go on-line then you will either have to Bluetooth
it to your phone or connect it to your pc. It does not have these
capabilities on its own. Its memory is based on the size of the SD card
you install. Let me know if I can help in any other way.


If all I have left in
this world is God, I have everything!




Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Ashley Wayne
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 10:20 PM
To: Nvda
Subject: [nvda] braille edge

Hi all,
Could anyone tell me of their experiences using NVDA with the Braille Edge
from HIMS? I???m considering purchasing one but would just love some
personal feedback. Does it work well specifically for editing documents?
Thanks so much.
Ashley


Sent from Mail for Windows 10



Virus-free. www.avg.com





--
Nevzat Adil
Library of Congress Certified Braille Proofreader
C: 512 502 4403
e-mail: nevzatadil@gmail.com
Facebook: m.facebook.com/LiteraryBrailleProofreader


Re: Function Needed and Price Therefor

Quentin Christensen
 

Hi Ed,

We are certainly aware of the request for this feature and that it is something a few people want.  Here is one of our open issues which references it: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/6360

Given that it is also references by the "Speech refactor" project - something we are working on which will hopefully make it easier to tailor speech like this, it might be worth being patient until later in the year when this can hopefully be implemented a little easier.

To your original question though - absolutely it is possible to commission someone to create add-ons.  We all know there is an industry of people who write scripts for.... other screen readers.... and the fact is the same could exist for NVDA - in fact, add-ons can be even more powerful if created by someone familiar with Python and our Add-on system.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 8:43 AM Ed Marquette <marquette.ed@...> wrote:
All:
I have refrained from commenting on the NVDA v. JAWS thread.  The fact is that both are powerful.  I’ve switched to NVDA primarily because JAWS just does not work with critical applications I use at my firm.  JAWS slows down Outlook and two other crucial applications to the point that they just cannot be used.
NVDA, by contrast, runs like the wind.
There is one feature that existed in JAWS that I miss terribly in NVDA.  In JAWS, one can set capitalization recognition to occur when reading, not just by letter or by word, but also by line.  There is no equivalent setting in NVDA, and I have found no Add-in to offer this functionality.
Is it off-limits to offer to pay someone to create an add-in to add that functionality to NVDA





--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 


locked Re: NVDA versus JAWS

Aine Kelly Costello
 

Thanks everyone for your comments.

To be clear, my intention in posing this question was not to suggest that NVDA is a poor choice of screenreader, or to davalue it in comparison to JAWS. It was simply to get to the heart of the fact that different screenreaders have their pros and cons, and while I’ll definitely download and have NVDA for use regardless of if I buy JAWS, the financial question to sort out is whether to get JAWS, if that makes sense. That’s why I posed the question looking one-sided haha.

Again, I appreciate your input:)

Áine

On 23/05/2019, at 10:41 AM, Arlene <nedster66@...> wrote:

 
Hi I can confirm this. It’s best to have 2 screan readers on yor system.  Should one not work with whatever it is you are doing. Then the other will work.
Sent from Mail for Windows 10
 
From: Bianka Brankovic
Sent: May 22, 2019 4:08 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA versus JAWS
 
Hello Aine, hello list, 
 
I am not able to give you an objective view here, just my experiences. 
 
Coming from a Mac/Unix environment myself I would say NVDA does a good job with standard office applications. Of course, if you want to play it safe and you have the financial possibilities, update your Jaws to the newest version before starting your studies. After all, you never know if you will encounter a software that doesn’t work with NvDA and works with Jaws. Personally, I subscribe to the view that it’s always good to have more than one screen reader installed just in case something is not as accessible as you would like it.
 
As to your original question though, if you are pretty sure that you will be using standard software and you are considering if you really need Jaws to survive in the computer age, my personal answer is no. 
 
Hope that helps … 
 
Thanks and kind regards,
 
Bianka 
  

 


Re: question about using NVDA with iTunes

 

Well being that itunes is a web app most nvda web commands should work, it has a few treeviews in it to though.

I think this is all on this though.



On 23/05/2019 10:49 AM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
With Nimer's points in mind, I'll just add:

- NVDA doesn't have any specific keystrokes purely for iTunes, so getting around iTunes should be a matter of either its own inbuilt keystrokes, or standard NVDA or Windows keys.

A quick google search for "iTunes pc keyboard shortcuts" found this article from Apple themselves with keystrokes for iTunes: https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/itunes/keyboard-shortcuts-itns1019/windows

Looking on our GitHub issue tracker, we only have one open issue which even mentions iTunes - and that is for a more generic drag and drop functionality which mentions iTunes as an example where it could be used.  So, if there are any specific issues with NVDA in iTunes, (and you've exhausted that it's not just a matter of finding the right existing keystroke etc), please do let us know about them.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 8:44 AM Nimer Jaber <nimerjaber1@...> wrote:
Hello,

this is a note to anyone who may respond to this thread. If you respond, please try to think of how NVDA may relate to the response. If, as I suspect, the issue is more about how to use iTunes, then please refrain from responding. There are many lists where this question is on topic, one of them being the chat subgroup.

Thanks.

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 3:41 PM Wayne Scott <waynedscottjr@...> wrote:

I am trying to move around my iTunes library with NVDA on my PC. I want to go in and delete songs and albums, but cannot figure out how. I have Windows 10 and am using the latest update on NVDA, a _not. Wayne Scott ver 
Chime bear 
musical notesbear face


--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

The message above is intended for the recipient to whom it was
addressed. If you believe that you are not the intended recipient,
please notify me via reply email and destroy all copies of this
correspondence. Action taken as a result of this email or its contents
by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) may result in civil or
criminal charges. I have checked this email and all corresponding
attachments for security threats. However, security of your machine is
up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

To find out about a free and versatile screen reader for windows XP
and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter for the latest technology news.

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (970) (393-4481) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly. Thank
you, and have a great day!


--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess