Date   

Re: COLUMN AND ROW HEADINGS

Quentin Christensen
 

To go one step further with that, if you never want column and row headings reported in say Firefox, but do want them in Excel, you can use "configuration profiles" to do it.

1. Set NVDA up how you "normally" want it.
2. Open the program you want setup differently (eg Firefox)
3. Choose "Configuration profiles" from the NVDA menu, or press NVDA+control+p.
4. Press alt+n to create a new profile
5. Press tab to move to "Use this profile for".
6. Press the right arrow to select the "Current application (Firefox)" radio button.
7. Press enter to create the profile (the name that we left blank between steps 4 and 5 is automatically filled in with the program name - Firefox in this case).
8. In Firefox, make any changes, such as turning off reporting of row and column headers.

Now that the profile is setup, any changes you make to most NVDA settings while that program is the active window, are saved to its profile (eg, changing keyboard echo, the speech rate, punctuation or even synthesizer).

(as always, for more useful tips like this, check out "Basic Training for NVDA" in eBook, audio or Braille from http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/)

Regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 4:45 PM, Heaven Botma <heaven@...> wrote:

Hi List

 

This is just a bit of information for those who don’t know.

 

When one reads information on Wikipedia, NVDA repeats the row and column headers by default.  This can be annoying when trying to read tables of information in browse mode, therefore, use the following steps to switch off row and column headings in NVDA:

 

  • Press NVDA+Ctrl+D to go to the “Document and Formatting” dialog. (NVDA key = Insert, numpad 0 or Capslock depending on the setting)
  • Press Alt+E twice to go to “row and Column headings”.
  • Press the Spacebar to check or uncheck the checkbox.
  • Enter to apply this setting.

 

Kind regards

 

 

Heaven Botma

Programme Co-ordinator | Program Koördineerder

20 Adderley Street, Worcester

T 023 348 7616 F 086 415 6835

www.innovationfortheblind.org

 




--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 


Re: NVDA 2018.3rc1 espeak problem with Russian language.

Quentin Christensen
 

I did see it here.  I passed it on to Mick, as this is exactly the kind of thing we are looking for.  I haven't had a chance to speak with him yet about how to proceed.  Every eSpeak release lately seems to be a two-edged sword - fixing some bugs and introducing others!

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 4:41 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists@...> wrote:
I saw this mentioned on the Espeak list. I'd imagine other languages might be the same  as well. I did not fully understand the problem as you say because I do not speak the language.


I think you need to raise a ticket on nvdas gather site for this as I doubt anyone will see it here.
In the meantime,  speech player in Espeak is still downloadable as an add on and is an older version of Espeak but I cannot comment on how it affects Russian obviously, but the same variants are there.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Александр Епанешников" <aarnaarn2@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 9:25 PM
Subject: [nvda] NVDA 2018.3rc1 espeak problem with Russian language.


hello, i am from russia and i using espeak. in changelog i noticed that the synthesizer was updated. unfortunately because of the update, some words and prepositions were pronounced very strange. I can not explain it to people who do not know Russian, but it sounds unpleasant.
is it possible to not update the synthesizer in the release, or to find the source of the problem?
Sincerely, Alexander.










--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 


Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] [nvda] link for firefox 52 esr last version to support full webvisum

 

I guess I need to qualify "doesn't work" with "presuming you do not already have a Webvisum account."

Those who established one ages ago report being able to use the latest signed version of the add-on up through Firefox 52.  

When I hear, "Does Webvisum work?," it has the implied proviso, "if I want to start using it now," and in that case the answer is no.  I haven't known of anyone being able to get an invitation generated for ages.  And it definitely is abandonware at this juncture.  I fully expect that one day, when it's least expected, it will finally break for existing users.

But those for whom it's still working should ride that proverbial horse until it drops from under them.

Rumola still seems to work under Chrome.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

    The psychology of adultery has been falsified by conventional morals, which assume, in monogamous countries, that attraction to one person cannot co-exist with a serious affection for another.  Everybody knows that this is untrue. . .

           ~ Bertrand Russell

 

 


Re: itunes latest issue

Mary Otten
 

Apple has an accessibility address

accessibility@apple.com

wher you can send email. They also have a direct phone number to the accessibility department. But I don't know about contacting them on this line outside the U.S., since it is a toll-free number. (877) 204–3930

On 9/12/2018 4:09 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Yes it does, I was getting close to getting into apple devices, my aunt well has this, they had issues with icloud, most of that is fixed, I wouldn't complain but basically the entire window does not display, on the desktop itunes, not sure about the app, not sure about dolphin or jaws,

But a lot of us need to contact apple about this though I had a job to even get accessibility the main support tech was almost completely useless, I had to go through itunes billing to get a real human the drone I had was useless, scarily enough, when I reached apple access the person I got sounded almost but not quite like the eva cortana voice, so who knows if that was real or not but who knows I am sure it was <grin>


On 9/13/2018 11:04 AM, Joseph Weakland wrote:
that sucks:(


On 9/12/2018 5:56 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Hi.

Well, just updated to itunes 12.9, the main window is not visible with nvda, narator can read it on win10 sort of but not fully, nvda just treats it as a blank link.

After ages managed to talk to apple but they think its just an nvda issue, who knows if they will actually fix this, and I was thinking I would be going to eventually buy an i device.






Re: itunes latest issue

 

Yes it does, I was getting close to getting into apple devices, my aunt well has this, they had issues with icloud, most of that is fixed, I wouldn't complain but basically the entire window does not display, on the desktop itunes, not sure about the app, not sure about dolphin or jaws,

But a lot of us need to contact apple about this though I had a job to even get accessibility the main support tech was almost completely useless, I had to go through itunes billing to get a real human the drone I had was useless, scarily enough, when I reached apple access the person I got sounded almost but not quite like the eva cortana voice, so who knows if that was real or not but who knows I am sure it was <grin>

On 9/13/2018 11:04 AM, Joseph Weakland wrote:
that sucks:(


On 9/12/2018 5:56 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Hi.

Well, just updated to itunes 12.9, the main window is not visible with nvda, narator can read it on win10 sort of but not fully, nvda just treats it as a blank link.

After ages managed to talk to apple but they think its just an nvda issue, who knows if they will actually fix this, and I was thinking I would be going to eventually buy an i device.






Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] [nvda] link for firefox 52 esr last version to support full webvisum

Gene
 

It does work if you use an older version of Firefox.  52X is the last version it works with.  I advise people who want to use Webvisum to use a portable version that it works with and use the current version of Firefox or Chrome for general browsing.  That way, you don't have to sacrifice security to use Webvism.
 
If you are going to use firefox as your main browser, you can either use the installed version or another portable version.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 5:26 PM
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] [nvda] link for firefox 52 esr last version to support full webvisum

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 05:05 PM, Ervin, Glenn wrote:
Does Webvisum still work?
No.  It is abandonware and no one who has tried to contact the developers has had any success.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

    The psychology of adultery has been falsified by conventional morals, which assume, in monogamous countries, that attraction to one person cannot co-exist with a serious affection for another.  Everybody knows that this is untrue. . .

           ~ Bertrand Russell

 

 


Re: itunes latest issue

Joseph Weakland
 

that sucks:(

On 9/12/2018 5:56 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Hi.

Well, just updated to itunes 12.9, the main window is not visible with nvda, narator can read it on win10 sort of but not fully, nvda just treats it as a blank link.

After ages managed to talk to apple but they think its just an nvda issue, who knows if they will actually fix this, and I was thinking I would be going to eventually buy an i device.




--
email
josephweakland@att.net
sent from Joseph Weakland's PC


itunes latest issue

 

Hi.

Well, just updated to itunes 12.9, the main window is not visible with nvda, narator can read it on win10 sort of but not fully, nvda just treats it as a blank link.

After ages managed to talk to apple but they think its just an nvda issue, who knows if they will actually fix this, and I was thinking I would be going to eventually buy an i device.


NVDA and amazon

Chris Shook <chris0309@...>
 

Hi,
Has anyone noticed an issue with purchasing content from the Kindle store on Amazon?
I've tried two different web browsers and can't see the buy botton on the Kindle store.
Chris


Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] [nvda] link for firefox 52 esr last version to support full webvisum

Ervin, Glenn
 

That is what I thought, I had no luck with it a long time ago.

I know it worked initially.

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 5:27 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] [nvda] link for firefox 52 esr last version to support full webvisum

 

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 05:05 PM, Ervin, Glenn wrote:

Does Webvisum still work?

No.  It is abandonware and no one who has tried to contact the developers has had any success.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

    The psychology of adultery has been falsified by conventional morals, which assume, in monogamous countries, that attraction to one person cannot co-exist with a serious affection for another.  Everybody knows that this is untrue. . .

           ~ Bertrand Russell

 

 


Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] [nvda] link for firefox 52 esr last version to support full webvisum

 

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 05:05 PM, Ervin, Glenn wrote:
Does Webvisum still work?
No.  It is abandonware and no one who has tried to contact the developers has had any success.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

    The psychology of adultery has been falsified by conventional morals, which assume, in monogamous countries, that attraction to one person cannot co-exist with a serious affection for another.  Everybody knows that this is untrue. . .

           ~ Bertrand Russell

 

 


Re: Brailliant Bi32 display and NVDA

Antony Stone
 

What problem do you have when you do enter these commands? What goes wrong?

Antony.

On Wednesday 12 September 2018 at 22:27:58, Claire Potter wrote:

Hi all, I have recently started to use a Brailliant BI32 display, however I
would like some help with the following please. I want to know what the
NVDA support is like, as upon first impressions I am quite shocked at how
limited it is, bearing in mind that I want to execute common Windows
commands using the Braille display. I am talking about commands such as
pressing control to stop speech temporarily, commands such as alt+f4, and
in fact any commands which involve the function keys, along with commands
such as control+home and control+end, page up, page down, etc. Can anyone
help please? Warm regards, Claire Potter
--
"I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does
mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously."

- Douglas Adams

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.


Automatic Reading of Footnotes in Word

kelby carlson
 

I think I've asked about this before, but does anyone know if 'Nvda can be set up to automatically read footnotes when doing a "say all" in a document in ms Word?


Re: link for firefox 52 esr last version to support full webvisum

Marisane Moruthanyana
 

Evening gentlemen and ladies

I trust that this email finds you well.

1. How does one access notification alerts in fire fox like in IE11 with alt+n?

2. How does one prevent fire fox self-update?

I'm saying this because fire fox has just updated itself from 52 to 60
and the latter is very inaccessible with jaws16 or jaws18 and even
with nvda 2018.2.1.

Your assistance is appreciated in advance.

Marisane

On 9/12/18, andru fou <ndrf333@gmail.com> wrote:
link for firefox 52 esr last version to support complete
webvisumvhttps://archive.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/52.9.0esr/win64/en-US/Firefox%20Setup%2052.9.0esr.exe




Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] [nvda] link for firefox 52 esr last version to support full webvisum

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>
 

I never successfully was able to use it, not even on version 52 or earlier. I pretty much gave up on it completely because never has an add-on given me so much trouble or simply refused to do what it is most sought after to do. However, it seems other people still use it and maintain that it works for them.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ervin, Glenn
Sent: September 12, 2018 5:05 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] [nvda] link for firefox 52 esr last version to support full webvisum

Does Webvisum still work?


-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of andru fou
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 3:15 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [SUSPECTED SPAM] [nvda] link for firefox 52 esr last version to support full webvisum

link for firefox 52 esr last version to support complete webvisumvhttps://archive.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/52.9.0esr/win64/en-US/Firefox%20Setup%2052.9.0esr.exe


Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] [nvda] link for firefox 52 esr last version to support full webvisum

Ervin, Glenn
 

Does Webvisum still work?

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of andru fou
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 3:15 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [SUSPECTED SPAM] [nvda] link for firefox 52 esr last version to support full webvisum

link for firefox 52 esr last version to support complete webvisumvhttps://archive.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/52.9.0esr/win64/en-US/Firefox%20Setup%2052.9.0esr.exe


Brailliant Bi32 display and NVDA

Claire Potter <claire.potter99@...>
 

Hi all, I have recently started to use a Brailliant BI32 display, however I would like some help with the following please. I want to know what the NVDA support is like, as upon first impressions I am quite shocked at how limited it is, bearing in mind that I want to execute common Windows commands using the Braille display. I am talking about commands such as pressing control to stop speech temporarily, commands such as alt+f4, and in fact any commands which involve the function keys, along with commands such as control+home and control+end, page up, page down, etc.  Can anyone help please? 
Warm regards, Claire Potter,   Check out my brand new website: www.pottersplace.me.uk


link for firefox 52 esr last version to support full webvisum

andru fou
 


Re: problems with nvda2018.3rc1

Chris
 

Like this you mean 😊

 

From: P. Otter
Sent: 12 September 2018 20:16
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] problems with nvda2018.3rc1

 

and can you tell me, how can I create an emoticon while emoticons add-on is disabled?
i think it is very good possible that you're right!
please help.
thanks in advance!
paul otter
 

Op 12-9-2018 om 18:26 schreef Chris via Groups.Io:

Try disabling or removing the emoticon add-on see if that helps any, as nvda now supports emoticons itself

 

 

From: P. Otter
Sent: 12 September 2018 16:28
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] problems with nvda2018.3rc1

 

best forum members,

I have downloaded the nvda 2018.3 rc1 and put it into use.

but I am not entirely positive, there is still something here and there.

Like, I have already experienced a number of times, that I used the

emoticon add-on, often it goes well but suddenly without any apparent

reason it gets stuck.

With alt tab I can then go back to the text where I wanted to place an

emoji.

but it is not going well. Only after I have restarted nvda again can I

place an emoticon again.

are there more people who have the same problem?

with nvda 2018.2 I did not have these problems.

do I have to update the emoticon add-on?

is it available?

with a curious greeting

paul otter

 

 

 

 

 


Re: problems with nvda2018.3rc1

P. Otter
 

and can you tell me, how can I create an emoticon while emoticons add-on is disabled?
i think it is very good possible that you're right!
please help.
thanks in advance!
paul otter
 

Op 12-9-2018 om 18:26 schreef Chris via Groups.Io:

Try disabling or removing the emoticon add-on see if that helps any, as nvda now supports emoticons itself

 

 

From: P. Otter
Sent: 12 September 2018 16:28
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] problems with nvda2018.3rc1

 

best forum members,

I have downloaded the nvda 2018.3 rc1 and put it into use.

but I am not entirely positive, there is still something here and there.

Like, I have already experienced a number of times, that I used the

emoticon add-on, often it goes well but suddenly without any apparent

reason it gets stuck.

With alt tab I can then go back to the text where I wanted to place an

emoji.

but it is not going well. Only after I have restarted nvda again can I

place an emoticon again.

are there more people who have the same problem?

with nvda 2018.2 I did not have these problems.

do I have to update the emoticon add-on?

is it available?

with a curious greeting

paul otter