Date   

Re: Getting Off of SSDI, ongoing cost of access technology

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

Pleease no politics here.
Just saying.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lino Morales" <linomorales001@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 5:12 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Getting Off of SSDI, ongoing cost of access technology


All I’ll say is CA is one messed up country right now with Trudo the leftist in power. Oh and how is universal health care working out for ya? Not pretty from I understand. Now back to NVDA questions already in progress.



Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10



________________________________
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Elshara Silverheart <joshbrn004@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 6:17:59 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Getting Off of SSDI, ongoing cost of access technology

lol I was gonna respond since I'm also from Canada but I live in BC

On 7/25/18, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
<bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Did you post this to the wrong list?
Its a bit Canadian... ahem.
Not nvda either.
cough.
:-)

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian K. Lingard" <bkl@ncf.ca>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 8:31 AM
Subject: [nvda] Getting Off of SSDI, ongoing cost of access technology


Dear Glenn & List:

Here in Canada, at least Ontario, you are considered successfully placed in

gainful employment if the job is expected to last at least six months.
Friends receiving ODSP [Ontario Disability Support Program] payments who
have many medical conditions, each with at least one prescription medicine,

have told me time and again they are capable of gainful work, however, as a

part-time employee, they will not have a Prescription Medicine Plan. ODSP
provides each recipient with a Prescription Drug Benefit that covers most,
however, not all, prescriptions.

However, if you require a prescription not on the formulary, you may request

it be covered for you as your doctor has prescribed it, it is expensive, and

often the only medicine licensed in Canada to treat your condition. If this

does not work, you may apply to The Trillium Plan for coverage of the drug
in your particular case.

Friend of mine's spouse was diagnosed with gallstones. The doctor wanted to

dissolve them with an expensive medicine. Their ODSP monthly income was
maybe, $1,000 combined for the two of them. Friend takes the prescription to

his usual pharmacy, asks what it costs, answer was $300 for a month's
supply. He contacts his doctor, who writes an appeal letter to the Min of
Health, after a few weeks went by, they approved it. Unfortunately, the
medicine did not dissolve the stones.

His wife was diabetic, had heart issues and for these reasons was a bad
candidate for surgery.

At the time, Lithotripsy, busting the stones into fine powder, was not
available in Ottawa. It was in Montreal, province just across the Ottawa
River, and with its own Min of Health, friend of mine called around various

hospitals there, found one that did this treatment, gave the info to his
wife's doctor, who said I heard they no longer do this! Meanwhile, about a
day before, the hospital had told my friend they did do it, have the doctor

in Ottawa send them a referral. Therefore, my friend said why run up his
phone bill if the doctor will say he heard they no longer do it.

I do not know of a laparoscopic procedure, where they operate through a
small hole to the scene of the procedure was an option. Have heard these
procedures are much less stressful on the body, compared to a traditional
open procedure.

One friend of mine, in Toronto, is blind, diabetic, with MS and probably
other issues. Between her various doctors, she is on 32 prescriptions, with

the Ontario Drug Benefit, pharmacies may charge a $2 co-pay per
prescription. That is $64/month. Many pharmacies will waive the $2 co-pay,
others do not. The nursing home she resided at dealt with one pharmacy did
would not waive the co-pay. Her entire ODSP cheque of around $700/month went

to pay the daily fee for staying the home, except for her $100/month comfort

allowance, which was to cover replacement clothes, feminine hygiene
products, toothpaste, phone & cable tv if any, she also smoked. After trying

to explain to the home the $64 co-pay would be the largest item in her
budget, she cannot afford it, and getting the story they only wanted to deal

with the single pharmacy as it simplified ordering, she decided the home
could bill her all they wanted for the co-pay, however, she refused to pay
it. Her prescription medicines kept arriving and she had more spending
money.

Having the Soc. Security Admin. Pay for access technology, with scripting
and training, to get someone into the workforce, earning more than the
prevailing SGA is fine. However, access tech wears out, requires maintenance

and can become unusable due to advances in computer technology. Many
perfectly good braille displays and synthesizers became obsolete when their

makers decided not to make drivers available for them when a Windows upgrade

required new drivers, or computers no longer had parallel & serial ports,
just USB ones.

The braille displays were well built, however the firm that took over the
equipment when TSI went bust, chose to not prolong their working life as
they competed directly with the Braille displays the firm designed & built
themselves. Freedom Scientific, now VFO Group was one firm that did this. In

addition, manufacturers of access tech can go bust, making well-designed
displays, however, not with enough market share to make the units and
especially the r and d to design newer ones.


There is also the issue of funding equipment maintenance, replacement and
scripting updated or new applications. If you work for Government, your
department or agency is expected to pay for this. Fine. The scripter says it

will cost $75,000 to script the soon to be released update to the main app
you use. The department has perhaps one or two blind employees who need the

update. If updates are released semi-annually, that is $1590, 000 for the
updates or $75,000 per blind employee. If the employee is a Quad or amputee,

using a sip & puff system to control their telephone, terminal printers etc.

the cost of reprogramming their sit & puff system can approach the Public
Debt of the United States of America. This is because sip & puff systems are

almost custom-made, as is their programming.

When my employer was concerned over the cost of a PC for me, offered, well,

I earn my hourly wage whether I am doing productive work or waiting for the

PC to compute. I prefer doing productive work. The boss accepted this line
of reasoning and purchased the faster PC with enough RAM and hard drive to
handle newer program versions, which seem to require more disk storage,
faster CPU and much more RAM.
Brian


From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ervin,
Glenn
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2018 10:35 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [NVDA] VFO not complimentary about NVDA

In VR with state agencies, we are reimbursed by Social Security if we place

someone in a job that is above SGA, that is, enough for the client to get
off SSDI.
So usually, cost is not an issue for things like adaptive equipment and
scripting.
Glenn


From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> <nvda@nvda.groups.io

<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> > On Behalf of Brian K. Lingard
Sent: Friday, July 20, 2018 1:31 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [NVDA] VFO not complimentary about NVDA

Dear Brian & List:

I thought VFO Group would do JAWS scripting or put you in contact with a
certified Jaws Scripter.

Perhaps not.

I do know that someone wanted a proprietary application for a car rental
firm scripted to work with JAWS and was quoted thousands of dollars for the

work and advised that every timed the firm rolled out a new version the work

would have to be completely redone.

I believe the would- be scripting contractor was the Smith-Kettlewell
Foundation of San Francisco.

I can see changes being required for a new version of the App, but a
complete rewrite. That seems like someone trying to make a large company pay

and pay to support only a few employees.
Brian

It may have been a proprietary telemarketing program. However, I think the
employer to be was misquoted for the job.
Brian
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
[mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2018 12:34 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [NVDA] VFO not complimentary about NVDA

On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 12:21 PM, Steve Nutt wrote:
Again, if I want a program scripted in NVDA, who does it?
If you contact NV Access, I feel certain they could point you to someone.
Alternatively, even ask here. Most JAWS scripters are self-taught, or were

at one time anyway. I believe NVDA scripts are done in Python (though I
could be wrong) and there are plenty of Python programmers out there.

I had to dig long and hard to find JAWS scriptwriters when they were needed

about 2 years ago. It is a real niche market.

--
Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134
A little kindness from person to person is better than a vast love for
all humankind.
~ Richard Dohme











Re: Getting Off of SSDI, ongoing cost of access technology

Ervin, Glenn
 

I suspect that Canadian doctors all come to the US where they make mega bucks, and that is why there aren’t enough doctors for the need in Canada.

And if folks weren’t taking so many drugs that they don’t need we would not need so many doctors.

I have lost respect for the doctors who only seem to have the ability to write prescriptions, and practice no surgical skills.

But like you wrote, back to the topic of NVDA.

Glenn

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Lino Morales
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 11:13 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Getting Off of SSDI, ongoing cost of access technology

 

All I’ll say is CA is one messed up country right now with Trudo the leftist in power. Oh and how is universal health care working out for ya? Not pretty from I understand. Now back to NVDA questions already in progress.

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Elshara Silverheart <joshbrn004@...>
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 6:17:59 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Getting Off of SSDI, ongoing cost of access technology

 

lol I was gonna respond since I'm also from Canada but I live in BC

On 7/25/18, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
<bglists@...> wrote:
> Did you post this to the wrong list?
>  Its a bit Canadian... ahem.
>  Not nvda either.
>  cough.
>   :-)
>
> Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal E-mail to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Brian K. Lingard" <bkl@...>
> To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 8:31 AM
> Subject: [nvda] Getting Off of SSDI, ongoing cost of access technology
>
>
> Dear Glenn & List:
>
> Here in Canada, at least Ontario, you are considered successfully placed in
>
> gainful employment if the job is expected to last at least six months.
> Friends receiving ODSP [Ontario Disability Support Program] payments who
> have many medical conditions, each with at least one prescription medicine,
>
> have told me time and again they are capable of gainful work, however, as a
>
> part-time employee, they will not have a Prescription Medicine Plan. ODSP
> provides each recipient with a Prescription Drug Benefit that covers most,
> however, not all, prescriptions.
>
> However, if you require a prescription not on the formulary, you may request
>
> it be covered for you as your doctor has prescribed it, it is expensive, and
>
> often the only medicine licensed in Canada to treat your condition. If this
>
> does not work, you may apply to The Trillium Plan for coverage of the drug
> in your particular case.
>
> Friend of mine's spouse was diagnosed with gallstones. The doctor wanted to
>
> dissolve them with an expensive medicine. Their ODSP monthly income was
> maybe, $1,000 combined for the two of them. Friend takes the prescription to
>
> his usual pharmacy, asks what it costs, answer was $300 for a month's
> supply. He contacts his doctor, who writes an appeal letter to the Min of
> Health, after a few weeks went by, they approved it. Unfortunately, the
> medicine did not dissolve the stones.
>
> His wife was diabetic, had heart issues and for these reasons was a bad
> candidate for surgery.
>
> At the time, Lithotripsy, busting the stones into fine powder, was not
> available in Ottawa. It was in Montreal, province just across the Ottawa
> River, and with its own Min of Health, friend of mine called around various
>
> hospitals there, found one that did this treatment, gave the info to his
> wife's doctor, who said I heard they no longer do this! Meanwhile, about a
> day before, the hospital had told my friend they did do it, have the doctor
>
> in Ottawa send them a referral. Therefore, my friend said why run up his
> phone bill if the doctor will say he heard they no longer do it.
>
> I do not know of a laparoscopic procedure, where they operate through a
> small hole to the scene of the procedure was an option. Have heard these
> procedures are much less stressful on the body, compared to a traditional
> open procedure.
>
> One friend of mine, in Toronto, is blind, diabetic, with MS and probably
> other issues. Between her various doctors, she is on 32 prescriptions, with
>
> the Ontario Drug Benefit, pharmacies may charge a $2 co-pay per
> prescription. That is $64/month. Many pharmacies will waive the $2 co-pay,
> others do not. The nursing home she resided at dealt with one pharmacy did
> would not waive the co-pay. Her entire ODSP cheque of around $700/month went
>
> to pay the daily fee for staying the home, except for her $100/month comfort
>
> allowance, which was to cover replacement clothes, feminine hygiene
> products, toothpaste, phone & cable tv if any, she also smoked. After trying
>
> to explain to the home the $64 co-pay would be the largest item in her
> budget, she cannot afford it, and getting the story they only wanted to deal
>
> with the single pharmacy as it simplified ordering, she decided the home
> could bill her all they wanted for the co-pay, however, she refused to pay
> it. Her prescription medicines kept arriving and she had more spending
> money.
>
> Having the Soc. Security Admin. Pay for access technology, with scripting
> and training, to get someone into the workforce, earning more than the
> prevailing SGA is fine. However, access tech wears out, requires maintenance
>
> and can become unusable due to advances in computer technology. Many
> perfectly good braille displays and synthesizers became obsolete when their
>
> makers decided not to make drivers available for them when a Windows upgrade
>
> required new drivers, or computers no longer had parallel & serial ports,
> just USB ones.
>
> The braille displays were well built, however the firm that took over the
> equipment when TSI went bust, chose to not prolong their working life as
> they competed directly with the Braille displays the firm designed & built
> themselves. Freedom Scientific, now VFO Group was one firm that did this. In
>
> addition, manufacturers of access tech can go bust, making well-designed
> displays, however, not with enough market share to make the units and
> especially the r and d to design newer ones.
>
>
> There is also the issue of funding equipment maintenance, replacement and
> scripting updated or new applications. If you work for Government, your
> department or agency is expected to pay for this. Fine. The scripter says it
>
> will cost $75,000 to script the soon to be released update to the main app
> you use. The department has perhaps one or two blind employees who need the
>
> update. If updates are released semi-annually, that is $1590, 000 for the
> updates or $75,000 per blind employee. If the employee is a Quad or amputee,
>
> using a sip & puff system to control their telephone, terminal printers etc.
>
> the cost of reprogramming their sit & puff system can approach the Public
> Debt of the United States of America. This is because sip & puff systems are
>
> almost custom-made, as is their programming.
>
> When my employer was concerned over the cost of a PC for me, offered, well,
>
> I earn my hourly wage whether I am doing productive work or waiting for the
>
> PC to compute. I prefer doing productive work. The boss accepted this line
> of reasoning and purchased the faster PC with enough RAM and hard drive to
> handle newer program versions, which seem to require more disk storage,
> faster CPU and much more RAM.
> Brian
>
>
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ervin,
> Glenn
> Sent: Monday, July 23, 2018 10:35 AM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [NVDA] VFO not complimentary about NVDA
>
> In VR with state agencies, we are reimbursed by Social Security if we place
>
> someone in a job that is above SGA, that is, enough for the client to get
> off SSDI.
> So usually, cost is not an issue for things like adaptive equipment and
> scripting.
> Glenn
>
>
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>  <nvda@nvda.groups.io
>
> <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> > On Behalf of Brian K. Lingard
> Sent: Friday, July 20, 2018 1:31 AM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> Subject: Re: [NVDA] VFO not complimentary about NVDA
>
> Dear Brian & List:
>
> I thought VFO Group would do JAWS scripting or put you in contact with a
> certified Jaws Scripter.
>
> Perhaps not.
>
> I do know that someone wanted a proprietary application for a car rental
> firm scripted to work with JAWS and was quoted thousands of dollars for the
>
> work and advised that every timed the firm rolled out a new version the work
>
> would have to be completely redone.
>
> I believe the would- be scripting contractor was the Smith-Kettlewell
> Foundation of San Francisco.
>
> I can see changes being required for a new version of the App, but a
> complete rewrite. That seems like someone trying to make a large company pay
>
> and pay to support only a few employees.
> Brian
>
> It may have been a proprietary telemarketing program. However, I think the
> employer to be was misquoted for the job.
> Brian
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf of Brian Vogel
> Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2018 12:34 PM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> Subject: Re: [NVDA] VFO not complimentary about NVDA
>
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 12:21 PM, Steve Nutt wrote:
> Again, if I want a program scripted in NVDA, who does it?
> If you contact NV Access, I feel certain they could point you to someone.
> Alternatively, even ask here.   Most JAWS scripters are self-taught, or were
>
> at one time anyway.  I believe NVDA scripts are done in Python (though I
> could be wrong) and there are plenty of Python programmers out there.
>
> I had to dig long and hard to find JAWS scriptwriters when they were needed
>
> about 2 years ago.  It is a real niche market.
>
> --
> Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134
>     A little kindness from person to person is better than a vast love for
> all humankind.
>            ~ Richard Dohme
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>



Re: rules for Most Lists

Ervin, Glenn
 

As list owner you may not ever see them.
When folks subscribe to a list, they get an eMail listing all that information.
Glenn

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Elshara Silverheart
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 5:12 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] rules for Most Lists

I've ran a mailman server and it didn't come with a predefined template for rules.

On 7/24/18, Brian K. Lingard <bkl@ncf.ca> wrote:
Dear Antony & List:

I have noticed that almost every list I have ever subscribed to has
almost the exact rules as every other list I belong to. It is almost
like they were from a large rubber stamp or cookie cutter.

The rules are usually:
No flaming
Keep the language civil, like grandma was reading your posts Please
spell check before sending Your subject line should be highly
descriptive of your message body Ask the author of a message from
another source if you may post it here

In addition, Often, the rules are listed in exactly the same order on
many different lists.

I expect the rules for this list are similar to other lists, even ones
on different platforms, such as Mailman, Freelists.org, Yahoo groups, etc.

Brian





Re: Bandwidth && network traffic

Ervin, Glenn
 

I don’t know much about AOL, I think a few of my clients still have their old AOL account, only because it was their first eMail address.

And I believe it is just an eMail service for most, going through their ISP, likely fiber optic connection.

Glenn

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian K. Lingard
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 12:41 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Bandwidth && network traffic

 

Dear Glenn & List:

 

True, few people think of data usage. Does AOL still charge based upon traffic sent + received? They used to and Genie may still.

 

Network bandwidth is no longer much of a concern with fiber for moving data. The Listserv program can have sub-lists, so everyone is not on one server, but a university or firm with a cluster of subscribers will get just one copy of a message, then send each subscriber their own copy to read/delete etc. This used to be necessary when the expensive modems were 1,200 BPS and 110 and 300 Baud were the speeds even CRT terminals ran at unless hard-wired to the computer they were connected to.

 

Friend of mine, an operations manager at Bell Canada one day said he found he could have the master control terminals talk to his switching machines at 9,600 Baud on an ordinary phone line. I told him I had been running 33,600 Baud on my home line for about three years, he listened to his engineers too much talking about the need for specially conditioned lines for data rates higher than 110 Baud. This almost floored the man!

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ervin, Glenn
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2018 10:30 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [NVDA] skype 8 for desktop

 

I am guilty of not trimming off older parts of a conversation, I certainly will try to pay more attention to this.

I did not ever consider data usage.

 

Glenn

 


Re: NVDA and Firefox annoyance

Chris
 

You are welcome 😃

 

 

From: Armando Maldonado
Sent: 25 July 2018 18:06
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA and Firefox annoyance

 

Hello, your tip worked, thanks for the help.

armando

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 9:58 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA and Firefox annoyance

 

You will have to turn off auto complete in the about:config

 

In the address bar type

 

About:config

 

A warning may appear Then click continue anyway if asked

 

Then search for

 

browser.urlbar.autocomplete.enabled

 

and change it to false by hitting enter

 

then you are done!

 

From: Armando Maldonado
Sent: 25 July 2018 17:36
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA and Firefox annoyance

 

Hello,

When I use firefox in the address bar, I hear NVDA voicing out the address, or at least trying to fill it in, even though I unchecked autofill. Is there a way to fix this annoyance? Thanks.

Armando

 

 


Re: NVDA and Firefox annoyance

Armando Maldonado
 


Hello, your tip worked, thanks for the help.
armando

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 9:58 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA and Firefox annoyance

You will have to turn off auto complete in the about:config

 

In the address bar type

 

About:config

 

A warning may appear Then click continue anyway if asked

 

Then search for

 

browser.urlbar.autocomplete.enabled

 

and change it to false by hitting enter

 

then you are done!

 

From: Armando Maldonado
Sent: 25 July 2018 17:36
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA and Firefox annoyance

 

Hello,

When I use firefox in the address bar, I hear NVDA voicing out the address, or at least trying to fill it in, even though I unchecked autofill. Is there a way to fix this annoyance? Thanks.

Armando

 


Re: NVDA and Firefox annoyance

Armando Maldonado
 


Thanks will try this.
Armando

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 9:58 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA and Firefox annoyance

You will have to turn off auto complete in the about:config

 

In the address bar type

 

About:config

 

A warning may appear Then click continue anyway if asked

 

Then search for

 

browser.urlbar.autocomplete.enabled

 

and change it to false by hitting enter

 

then you are done!

 

From: Armando Maldonado
Sent: 25 July 2018 17:36
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA and Firefox annoyance

 

Hello,

When I use firefox in the address bar, I hear NVDA voicing out the address, or at least trying to fill it in, even though I unchecked autofill. Is there a way to fix this annoyance? Thanks.

Armando

 


Re: NVDA and Firefox annoyance

Chris
 

You will have to turn off auto complete in the about:config

 

In the address bar type

 

About:config

 

A warning may appear Then click continue anyway if asked

 

Then search for

 

browser.urlbar.autocomplete.enabled

 

and change it to false by hitting enter

 

then you are done!

 

From: Armando Maldonado
Sent: 25 July 2018 17:36
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA and Firefox annoyance

 

Hello,

When I use firefox in the address bar, I hear NVDA voicing out the address, or at least trying to fill it in, even though I unchecked autofill. Is there a way to fix this annoyance? Thanks.

Armando

 


Re: Accessible voice and text chat

Tyler Wood
 

Hi,

I have to correct you on quite a few points.


In your anti google rant, you forgot one key fact about the headphone jack.


....apple removed it first.


Apple may be accessible, but you talk about a walled garden? Apple is it. Microsoft is getting with the linux and open source program over here so I'm not sure what world you are living in. Microsoft isn't disabling *any* file explorer whatsoever and you can use whichever you so choose. Not so in apple land. Google is making steady improvements in accessibility, too, while we're on the subject. Google has options for casting to a tv that don't cost an arm and a leg, only around $35. Talk about computers not allowing you to upgrade components? Again, apple started that with their macbook air series and other pc ultrabooks followed suit because of it. I miss the days when macbook batteries were replaceable and didn't cost 2-300 dollars to replace because the ram had to be resoldered. While we're on the subject of batteries, what company was it that throttled phones and did not tell consumers that they were doing so? It wasn't google and it wasn't Microsoft. It was only after the good ol consumers investigated with benchmark results that apple admitted to throttling phones and not saying a word, thus offering $29 battery replacements *after* this was all figured out.

On 25-Jul-2018 5:50 AM, Elshara Silverheart wrote:
Here's my thoughts on accessibility in general.
I generally dislike all cloud services. Apple is the only company I
trust for cloud service data because you know what you're getting. And
it isn't tied in with data selling to Google, Microsoft and artificial
intelligence.
Sure there's Siri. But Apple is so permissions based in the first
place, nobody can quite imitate how apple has gotten away with
remaining there. Accessibility is an integral part of all Apple
products. You can take your device into Apple Care for a price tag,
but get it fixed never the less. Apple is moving to stronger devices
but they are taking care of their existing customers first.
I can't say that about Microsoft. I had to downgrade from Windows 10
back to Windows 7 because of Microsoft's micromanagement platform they
are working on. I used to be an insider, and now I wish I never
touched anything Microsoft cloud.
Microsoft self hosted on the other hand, is another story. It's more
secure to me because common sense says, don't post something others
can't find. It's just that simple. It always will be.
I'm personally, sick and tired of both Google and Microsoft making
products that manage how you can personally do something on your own.
It's like when Cpanel came out for the first time on Linux. Don't host
unless you know what you're doing. When you're used to reading
documentation but have to interrupt an install to uninstall a GUI to
use the configuration you want for web hosting. My only like of Cpanel
is that it does making other tasks easier. But again, there's the
price tag.
Nobody has invested more into the piracy marketplace than Microsoft
however. This is why people have stuck with it for so long. Be you a
clean or a dirty software or media consumer, you have one thing in
common with your virtual neighbor. Ease of use. This is why ease of
use works so well. It's you who hosts it. If you're hosting a program,
you're not giving your computer manufacturer permission to degrade
your computers performance so that they can spend less on
infrastructure and more on quality products. I kid you not, take a PC
made 5 - 10 years ago and it works just as good if not better than
today's PCs. Where they didn't sodder on configuration changes you
can't alter. Thanks, Intel.
Where's the freedom to be yourself now days in today's overly
micromanaged political sespool of a world we live in, eh? You want to
feed the drama, or go on your own. I chose both paths for
accessibility reasons among other personal security concerns. Let me
tell you what I found.
At point blank range, first hand experience, Google Android and
Microsoft are in a league all of their own. Trust Google and Microsoft
to sell you something one minute, and totally reverse their decision
the next. I used to be a beta tester for Android. I even bought the
Pixel to do it. Now, not only did they remove the headphone jack. But
they also made their software open to other vendors. You know what
that did in the beta 9? Put up some constantly phantom Chrome casting
service you can't get rid of. Subsequently, my battery is shot. They
say you can uninstall remove yourself from the beta. And you just
can't. You know what that tells me? They are about as trusting of
their customer concerns as a brick wall. They tell you you can make
money with adsense, but then remove you from the program and won't
tell you after they have all your banking information, why? It's
because they don't need you anymore. I've invested thousands into the
Google infrastructure and received a slap in the face as a response.
I two, have invested a lot into the Microsoft infrastructure. I don't
need my Microsoft account suspended because I add 30 contacts thanks
to phone Sync to my Skype account automatically. I do no't need the
inability to message someone unless we are contacts either. Something
the original Skype was able to do. I don't need Microsoft forcing me
to use their services, such as File Explorer, over an alternative
because they say the API access will shut down. I don't need to be in
an abusive online web garden that isn't working for me. I
additionally, will never trust Microsoft to deliver what they promise.
They suck people in, and then they take advantage of them when they
think they aren't looking after they've been with the program awhile.
This is why I'll never trust anything cloud. Apple may be a cloud
service, but it's the original one that never had any issues of trust
like all these others companies do now.
The bottom line is, go self hosted. Go with team Talk. Go with your
own dedicated server. Spend the extra money if you have to for peace
of mind if that's what it takes. Don't try to forceably use something
someone else requires access to because they may or may not have the
right you unknowingly grant them at any point in time, to deny you
access to something you paid for. It's as simple as that.
take from it what you will.

On 7/24/18, Lino Morales <linomorales001@gmail.com> wrote:
Yo Elany. Contact me off list at:

Lino.jr@twc.com<mailto:Lino.jr@twc.com>

I have my own TeamTalk server if you want to hang. That goes for the rest of
you on this list cluster who are on here.



Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows
10



________________________________
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Eleni Vamvakari
<elvam2167@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2018 5:10:37 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Accessible voice and text chat

Thank you, Tyler, both for your agreement and for your suggestions.
While I don't deliberately insult people for no reason, I am against
political correctness in general. If people wrote bad things about a
program that I liked, I would simply ignore it. I'm not its writer,
but if I were, I would ask what they didn't like about it so that we
could discuss it in a civil manner.

I will try Team Talk again. I don't mind if it's used widely in the
mainstream. I need it to contact my Greek teacher for lessons and my
best friend so that we can voice chat. If others wish to join me, of
course, they can do so, though of course, it's different from a
dedicated program like Skype, where you have friends that you can add,
etc. But maybe, some members of various Facebook groups might be
interested in meeting there! *smile*

On 24/07/2018, Tyler Wood <tcwood12@gmail.com> wrote:
I have to agree with Eleni here.


2018 seems to be the year to be overly offended by everything. Instead
of talking about the original subject we're now suddenly talking about a
name for a company. Really, who cares. People shouldn't need their hand
held at every turn on a mailing list.


Regardless, Eleni, good luck in finding alternatives that work as nice
as skype. Team talk is nice, yes, but not many folks in the mainstream
use it. Team speak has its own set of frustrating issues - one of which
is accessing context menus with NVDA without restarting it. Discord is
slowly, oh so slowly, improving. Google hangouts is...kind of? okay, but
I forget what I didn't like about it as it has been a while, so perhaps
things have changed.


Sorry I couldn't be more help



On 24-Jul-2018 1:42 AM, Gene wrote:
I consider this to be little short of bashing, microslop, mocrosoft?
This is a public list and insulting companies may offend or bother
people who like products of a company.
If more people did this on list, the level of the list would be
degraded and it's nature would change from a helping and discussion
list to a help, discussion, and product bashing list.
If this practice spread, peoples feelings might be hurt. I don't know
who is on the list now, but in the past someone was on the list that
helped develop accessibility for Open Office and someone who works on
E-Speak was a member. If you start this sort of thing and it spreads,
it might have effects not considered by the original practitioner.
And, as you saw from comments earlier from various people, the
disparagement isn't necessarily accurate. many people presented
information about Microsoft that contradicted it.
Would you like seeing your favorite program disparaged in this way
even if the comments weren't directed toward you?
Gene
----- Original Message -----
*From:* Eleni Vamvakari <mailto:elvam2167@gmail.com>
*Sent:* Tuesday, July 24, 2018 1:07 AM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] Accessible voice and text chat

People need to stop being offended by everything, especially comments
not directed toward them. Who cares whether someone uses a
disparaging name of a company? It's not a personal insult or attack.

In any case, I am of the opinion that, if things work well, they
should be improved, not changed entirely. I liked earlier versions of
Skype. Then came 7, which was annoying in several ways (I cannot
think of them at the moment, as I haven't used the older versions of
Skype since they discontinued them). Now, there is a completely new
interface. I have tried it remotely on my friend's computer (with his
permission, of course) but we were in a call, so I didn't get the full
effect of going through contacts, making and answering a call, etc.
In some ways, it's quicker than 7, and things are immediately present,
instead of being in a list and under menus. But some things seemed to
be missing. I just don't see the need to needlessly complicate
things, and even if this works, I am still interested in alternatives
with a simpler and more traditional interface.

On 23/07/2018, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@gmail.com
<mailto:sm.everiss@gmail.com>> wrote:
I don't see how it would either.

Except dolphin maybe, their brouser access is well not there only old
versions of internet explorer work with their stuff.

They say they are working on chrome but catch up they are doing,
firefox, chrome, waterfox, most of those we allready have everywhere
else.



On 7/24/2018 8:54 AM, Lino Morales wrote:
Good point Tyler. And this goes back to the VFO brewhaha we had on
here
last week. I don’t see how Narrator would disrupt open source screen
readers like NVDA as his Erickness stated in that podcast. As I
always say
viva la NVDA!



Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for
Windows
10



________________________________
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
<nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> on behalf of Tyler
Wood
<tcwood12@gmail.com <mailto:tcwood12@gmail.com>>
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2018 4:49:46 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [nvda] Accessible voice and text chat

A few years ago I might have agreed with you on microsoft playing
catch
up.


These days, as you say, Microsoft is everywhere. Seeing AI is simply
a
revolutionary tool on the smartphone and is not made by apple.
Similarly, narrator is quickly becoming a replacement for your
every day
screen reader. Keep in mind that the NFB went at apple pretty hard
back
in the day, too, so it isn't as though their bringing more
accessibility
into the market was voluntary. Microsoft has pretty decent
accessibility
on the Xbox, as well, a far cry from Sony who, even though they
released
so called accessibility first, are still missing crutial tts in areas
like the system settings 4 years later. Playing catch up, indeed.

I'm curious where you think microsoft is lacking in accessibility
these
days? Considering we have quite a few folks with disabilities working
for microsoft as well as apple, I think they're on a pretty level
playing field.


On 23-Jul-2018 3:40 PM, Antony Stone wrote:
Microsoft may have a better record on accessibility than "many other
companies", but depending on which other companies you compare
them with,
that
may not be saying much.

Also, given their overwhelming dominance in the desktop (laptop)
computing
market, I think they have not done as well as they should have done
in
terms
of accessibility.

I think Apple were late starters in the accessibility arena, but
once
they
decided to go for it, they showed how it should be done, and
Microsoft
have
simply played catch-up, in order to avoid total embarrassment
(rather
like
they had to in the mid 90s when they suddenly realised that people
had
found
out about the Internet, and if they didn't do something quick,
they'd be
left
behind in the networked world).


Antony.

On Monday 23 July 2018 at 22:29:59, Gene wrote:

I'm saying this not as a moderator, but as a list member. I really
object
to you giving companies disparaging nicknames and I especially
object
to
it when the company has a much better record on accessibility
than many
other companies.

Gene
----- Original Message -----

On 7/24/2018 4:13 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
I never actually lost trust in MS. I knew that skype was in time
going
to be a good thing and talk about html was in happening even
since
about 2004 if I remember correctly. Skype has come a long way and
we
have to thank microslop for it. They made skype what it is
today, a
ver good tool for my jobs and more.






--
Facebook: elvam2167@gmail.com <mailto:elvam2167@gmail.com>

anyaudio.net: elvam2167

Skype: elvam2167





--
Facebook: elvam2167@gmail.com

anyaudio.net: elvam2167

Skype: elvam2167







Re: Getting Off of SSDI, ongoing cost of access technology

Tyler Wood
 

I have no idea how this started, but our current government is amazingly incompetent. Not that American government is doing much better by making allies into enemies, by I digress. I may get quicker care in America, but I'd probably be in debt for the rest of my life if I didn't have enough insurance to cover medical costs.


Though, as the saying goes, don't judge a book by its cover. I'm sure  america isn't as bad as folks make it out to be and likewise Canada is the same. The world will ultimately move on and that doesn't stop me from visiting the US from time to time.


And yes, back to NVDA discussion. Apologies.


On 25-Jul-2018 11:12 AM, Lino Morales wrote:

All I’ll say is CA is one messed up country right now with Trudo the leftist in power. Oh and how is universal health care working out for ya? Not pretty from I understand. Now back to NVDA questions already in progress.

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Elshara Silverheart <joshbrn004@...>
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 6:17:59 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Getting Off of SSDI, ongoing cost of access technology
 
lol I was gonna respond since I'm also from Canada but I live in BC

On 7/25/18, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
<bglists@...> wrote:
> Did you post this to the wrong list?
>  Its a bit Canadian... ahem.
>  Not nvda either.
>  cough.
>   :-)
>
> Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal E-mail to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Brian K. Lingard" <bkl@...>
> To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 8:31 AM
> Subject: [nvda] Getting Off of SSDI, ongoing cost of access technology
>
>
> Dear Glenn & List:
>
> Here in Canada, at least Ontario, you are considered successfully placed in
>
> gainful employment if the job is expected to last at least six months.
> Friends receiving ODSP [Ontario Disability Support Program] payments who
> have many medical conditions, each with at least one prescription medicine,
>
> have told me time and again they are capable of gainful work, however, as a
>
> part-time employee, they will not have a Prescription Medicine Plan. ODSP
> provides each recipient with a Prescription Drug Benefit that covers most,
> however, not all, prescriptions.
>
> However, if you require a prescription not on the formulary, you may request
>
> it be covered for you as your doctor has prescribed it, it is expensive, and
>
> often the only medicine licensed in Canada to treat your condition. If this
>
> does not work, you may apply to The Trillium Plan for coverage of the drug
> in your particular case.
>
> Friend of mine's spouse was diagnosed with gallstones. The doctor wanted to
>
> dissolve them with an expensive medicine. Their ODSP monthly income was
> maybe, $1,000 combined for the two of them. Friend takes the prescription to
>
> his usual pharmacy, asks what it costs, answer was $300 for a month's
> supply. He contacts his doctor, who writes an appeal letter to the Min of
> Health, after a few weeks went by, they approved it. Unfortunately, the
> medicine did not dissolve the stones.
>
> His wife was diabetic, had heart issues and for these reasons was a bad
> candidate for surgery.
>
> At the time, Lithotripsy, busting the stones into fine powder, was not
> available in Ottawa. It was in Montreal, province just across the Ottawa
> River, and with its own Min of Health, friend of mine called around various
>
> hospitals there, found one that did this treatment, gave the info to his
> wife's doctor, who said I heard they no longer do this! Meanwhile, about a
> day before, the hospital had told my friend they did do it, have the doctor
>
> in Ottawa send them a referral. Therefore, my friend said why run up his
> phone bill if the doctor will say he heard they no longer do it.
>
> I do not know of a laparoscopic procedure, where they operate through a
> small hole to the scene of the procedure was an option. Have heard these
> procedures are much less stressful on the body, compared to a traditional
> open procedure.
>
> One friend of mine, in Toronto, is blind, diabetic, with MS and probably
> other issues. Between her various doctors, she is on 32 prescriptions, with
>
> the Ontario Drug Benefit, pharmacies may charge a $2 co-pay per
> prescription. That is $64/month. Many pharmacies will waive the $2 co-pay,
> others do not. The nursing home she resided at dealt with one pharmacy did
> would not waive the co-pay. Her entire ODSP cheque of around $700/month went
>
> to pay the daily fee for staying the home, except for her $100/month comfort
>
> allowance, which was to cover replacement clothes, feminine hygiene
> products, toothpaste, phone & cable tv if any, she also smoked. After trying
>
> to explain to the home the $64 co-pay would be the largest item in her
> budget, she cannot afford it, and getting the story they only wanted to deal
>
> with the single pharmacy as it simplified ordering, she decided the home
> could bill her all they wanted for the co-pay, however, she refused to pay
> it. Her prescription medicines kept arriving and she had more spending
> money.
>
> Having the Soc. Security Admin. Pay for access technology, with scripting
> and training, to get someone into the workforce, earning more than the
> prevailing SGA is fine. However, access tech wears out, requires maintenance
>
> and can become unusable due to advances in computer technology. Many
> perfectly good braille displays and synthesizers became obsolete when their
>
> makers decided not to make drivers available for them when a Windows upgrade
>
> required new drivers, or computers no longer had parallel & serial ports,
> just USB ones.
>
> The braille displays were well built, however the firm that took over the
> equipment when TSI went bust, chose to not prolong their working life as
> they competed directly with the Braille displays the firm designed & built
> themselves. Freedom Scientific, now VFO Group was one firm that did this. In
>
> addition, manufacturers of access tech can go bust, making well-designed
> displays, however, not with enough market share to make the units and
> especially the r and d to design newer ones.
>
>
> There is also the issue of funding equipment maintenance, replacement and
> scripting updated or new applications. If you work for Government, your
> department or agency is expected to pay for this. Fine. The scripter says it
>
> will cost $75,000 to script the soon to be released update to the main app
> you use. The department has perhaps one or two blind employees who need the
>
> update. If updates are released semi-annually, that is $1590, 000 for the
> updates or $75,000 per blind employee. If the employee is a Quad or amputee,
>
> using a sip & puff system to control their telephone, terminal printers etc.
>
> the cost of reprogramming their sit & puff system can approach the Public
> Debt of the United States of America. This is because sip & puff systems are
>
> almost custom-made, as is their programming.
>
> When my employer was concerned over the cost of a PC for me, offered, well,
>
> I earn my hourly wage whether I am doing productive work or waiting for the
>
> PC to compute. I prefer doing productive work. The boss accepted this line
> of reasoning and purchased the faster PC with enough RAM and hard drive to
> handle newer program versions, which seem to require more disk storage,
> faster CPU and much more RAM.
> Brian
>
>
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ervin,
> Glenn
> Sent: Monday, July 23, 2018 10:35 AM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [NVDA] VFO not complimentary about NVDA
>
> In VR with state agencies, we are reimbursed by Social Security if we place
>
> someone in a job that is above SGA, that is, enough for the client to get
> off SSDI.
> So usually, cost is not an issue for things like adaptive equipment and
> scripting.
> Glenn
>
>
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>  <nvda@nvda.groups.io
>
> <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> > On Behalf of Brian K. Lingard
> Sent: Friday, July 20, 2018 1:31 AM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> Subject: Re: [NVDA] VFO not complimentary about NVDA
>
> Dear Brian & List:
>
> I thought VFO Group would do JAWS scripting or put you in contact with a
> certified Jaws Scripter.
>
> Perhaps not.
>
> I do know that someone wanted a proprietary application for a car rental
> firm scripted to work with JAWS and was quoted thousands of dollars for the
>
> work and advised that every timed the firm rolled out a new version the work
>
> would have to be completely redone.
>
> I believe the would- be scripting contractor was the Smith-Kettlewell
> Foundation of San Francisco.
>
> I can see changes being required for a new version of the App, but a
> complete rewrite. That seems like someone trying to make a large company pay
>
> and pay to support only a few employees.
> Brian
>
> It may have been a proprietary telemarketing program. However, I think the
> employer to be was misquoted for the job.
> Brian
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf of Brian Vogel
> Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2018 12:34 PM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> Subject: Re: [NVDA] VFO not complimentary about NVDA
>
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 12:21 PM, Steve Nutt wrote:
> Again, if I want a program scripted in NVDA, who does it?
> If you contact NV Access, I feel certain they could point you to someone.
> Alternatively, even ask here.   Most JAWS scripters are self-taught, or were
>
> at one time anyway.  I believe NVDA scripts are done in Python (though I
> could be wrong) and there are plenty of Python programmers out there.
>
> I had to dig long and hard to find JAWS scriptwriters when they were needed
>
> about 2 years ago.  It is a real niche market.
>
> --
> Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134
>     A little kindness from person to person is better than a vast love for
> all humankind.
>            ~ Richard Dohme
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>





NVDA and Firefox annoyance

Armando Maldonado
 

Hello,
When I use firefox in the address bar, I hear NVDA voicing out the address, or at least trying to fill it in, even though I unchecked autofill. Is there a way to fix this annoyance? Thanks.
Armando


Re: Anybody on here testing the FF betas?

Mallard
 

Sigh... I'm sorry it doesn't work for you.

AsI said earlier, FF never slowed down here; not even the notorious version 57...

Give 63 a try and let us know how it behaves at your end.

Quack-Quack!

Ollie

Il 25/07/2018 18:14, Lino Morales ha scritto:

What up again Duck. I’d run the beta 10 of FF and its still slow here. I’ll have to take you up on the nightly builds and see how that works. Thanks.

Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

------------------------------------------------------------------------
*From:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Mallard <mallard@kimabe.eu>
*Sent:* Wednesday, July 25, 2018 8:07:27 AM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] Anybody on here testing the FF betas?
Quack Quack, Lino, Duck here...


I'm running nightlies, and not betas... Could this be the reason for the
discrepancy?


Ciao,

Ollie





Il 24/07/2018 16:24, Lino Morales ha scritto:

What up Duck? Cool. How about the rest of you? I forget what beta we
are in 62 currently. How is it working for you?

Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for
Windows 10

------------------------------------------------------------------------
*From:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Mallard
<mallard@kimabe.eu>
*Sent:* Tuesday, July 24, 2018 9:57:00 AM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] Anybody on here testing the FF betas?
Hello Lino,


I've just upgraded to Firefox 63.01 with Nightly, and it's quite fast.
On the other hand, I've never experienced any lags on Firefox at all.
I'm generally using the official version, 61.01, which works very
smoothly at this end.

hth, ciao,

Ollie





Il 23/07/2018 22:59, Lino Morales ha scritto:

Hi. Is anyone on here testing the latest betas of Firefox with NVDA
2018.2 or later? Is it any faster? I’m still using Waterfox. Thanks.

Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for
Windows 10








Re: Anybody on here testing the FF betas?

Lino Morales
 

What up again Duck. I’d run the beta 10 of FF and its still slow here. I’ll have to take you up on the nightly builds and see how that works. Thanks.

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Mallard <mallard@...>
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 8:07:27 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Anybody on here testing the FF betas?
 
Quack Quack, Lino, Duck here...


I'm running nightlies, and not betas... Could this be the reason for the
discrepancy?


Ciao,

Ollie





Il 24/07/2018 16:24, Lino Morales ha scritto:
>
> What up Duck? Cool. How about the rest of you? I forget what beta we
> are in 62 currently. How is it working for you?
>
> Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for
> Windows 10
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> *From:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Mallard
> <mallard@...>
> *Sent:* Tuesday, July 24, 2018 9:57:00 AM
> *To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io
> *Subject:* Re: [nvda] Anybody on here testing the FF betas?
> Hello Lino,
>
>
> I've just upgraded to Firefox 63.01 with Nightly, and it's quite fast.
> On the other hand, I've never experienced any lags on Firefox at all.
> I'm generally using the official version, 61.01, which works very
> smoothly at this end.
>
> hth, ciao,
>
> Ollie
>
>
>
>
>
> Il 23/07/2018 22:59, Lino Morales ha scritto:
> >
> > Hi. Is anyone on here testing the latest betas of Firefox with NVDA
> > 2018.2 or later? Is it any faster? I’m still using Waterfox. Thanks.
> >
> > Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for
> > Windows 10
> >
> >
>
>
>
>
>





Re: Getting Off of SSDI, ongoing cost of access technology

Lino Morales
 

All I’ll say is CA is one messed up country right now with Trudo the leftist in power. Oh and how is universal health care working out for ya? Not pretty from I understand. Now back to NVDA questions already in progress.

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Elshara Silverheart <joshbrn004@...>
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 6:17:59 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Getting Off of SSDI, ongoing cost of access technology
 
lol I was gonna respond since I'm also from Canada but I live in BC

On 7/25/18, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
<bglists@...> wrote:
> Did you post this to the wrong list?
>  Its a bit Canadian... ahem.
>  Not nvda either.
>  cough.
>   :-)
>
> Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal E-mail to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Brian K. Lingard" <bkl@...>
> To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 8:31 AM
> Subject: [nvda] Getting Off of SSDI, ongoing cost of access technology
>
>
> Dear Glenn & List:
>
> Here in Canada, at least Ontario, you are considered successfully placed in
>
> gainful employment if the job is expected to last at least six months.
> Friends receiving ODSP [Ontario Disability Support Program] payments who
> have many medical conditions, each with at least one prescription medicine,
>
> have told me time and again they are capable of gainful work, however, as a
>
> part-time employee, they will not have a Prescription Medicine Plan. ODSP
> provides each recipient with a Prescription Drug Benefit that covers most,
> however, not all, prescriptions.
>
> However, if you require a prescription not on the formulary, you may request
>
> it be covered for you as your doctor has prescribed it, it is expensive, and
>
> often the only medicine licensed in Canada to treat your condition. If this
>
> does not work, you may apply to The Trillium Plan for coverage of the drug
> in your particular case.
>
> Friend of mine's spouse was diagnosed with gallstones. The doctor wanted to
>
> dissolve them with an expensive medicine. Their ODSP monthly income was
> maybe, $1,000 combined for the two of them. Friend takes the prescription to
>
> his usual pharmacy, asks what it costs, answer was $300 for a month's
> supply. He contacts his doctor, who writes an appeal letter to the Min of
> Health, after a few weeks went by, they approved it. Unfortunately, the
> medicine did not dissolve the stones.
>
> His wife was diabetic, had heart issues and for these reasons was a bad
> candidate for surgery.
>
> At the time, Lithotripsy, busting the stones into fine powder, was not
> available in Ottawa. It was in Montreal, province just across the Ottawa
> River, and with its own Min of Health, friend of mine called around various
>
> hospitals there, found one that did this treatment, gave the info to his
> wife's doctor, who said I heard they no longer do this! Meanwhile, about a
> day before, the hospital had told my friend they did do it, have the doctor
>
> in Ottawa send them a referral. Therefore, my friend said why run up his
> phone bill if the doctor will say he heard they no longer do it.
>
> I do not know of a laparoscopic procedure, where they operate through a
> small hole to the scene of the procedure was an option. Have heard these
> procedures are much less stressful on the body, compared to a traditional
> open procedure.
>
> One friend of mine, in Toronto, is blind, diabetic, with MS and probably
> other issues. Between her various doctors, she is on 32 prescriptions, with
>
> the Ontario Drug Benefit, pharmacies may charge a $2 co-pay per
> prescription. That is $64/month. Many pharmacies will waive the $2 co-pay,
> others do not. The nursing home she resided at dealt with one pharmacy did
> would not waive the co-pay. Her entire ODSP cheque of around $700/month went
>
> to pay the daily fee for staying the home, except for her $100/month comfort
>
> allowance, which was to cover replacement clothes, feminine hygiene
> products, toothpaste, phone & cable tv if any, she also smoked. After trying
>
> to explain to the home the $64 co-pay would be the largest item in her
> budget, she cannot afford it, and getting the story they only wanted to deal
>
> with the single pharmacy as it simplified ordering, she decided the home
> could bill her all they wanted for the co-pay, however, she refused to pay
> it. Her prescription medicines kept arriving and she had more spending
> money.
>
> Having the Soc. Security Admin. Pay for access technology, with scripting
> and training, to get someone into the workforce, earning more than the
> prevailing SGA is fine. However, access tech wears out, requires maintenance
>
> and can become unusable due to advances in computer technology. Many
> perfectly good braille displays and synthesizers became obsolete when their
>
> makers decided not to make drivers available for them when a Windows upgrade
>
> required new drivers, or computers no longer had parallel & serial ports,
> just USB ones.
>
> The braille displays were well built, however the firm that took over the
> equipment when TSI went bust, chose to not prolong their working life as
> they competed directly with the Braille displays the firm designed & built
> themselves. Freedom Scientific, now VFO Group was one firm that did this. In
>
> addition, manufacturers of access tech can go bust, making well-designed
> displays, however, not with enough market share to make the units and
> especially the r and d to design newer ones.
>
>
> There is also the issue of funding equipment maintenance, replacement and
> scripting updated or new applications. If you work for Government, your
> department or agency is expected to pay for this. Fine. The scripter says it
>
> will cost $75,000 to script the soon to be released update to the main app
> you use. The department has perhaps one or two blind employees who need the
>
> update. If updates are released semi-annually, that is $1590, 000 for the
> updates or $75,000 per blind employee. If the employee is a Quad or amputee,
>
> using a sip & puff system to control their telephone, terminal printers etc.
>
> the cost of reprogramming their sit & puff system can approach the Public
> Debt of the United States of America. This is because sip & puff systems are
>
> almost custom-made, as is their programming.
>
> When my employer was concerned over the cost of a PC for me, offered, well,
>
> I earn my hourly wage whether I am doing productive work or waiting for the
>
> PC to compute. I prefer doing productive work. The boss accepted this line
> of reasoning and purchased the faster PC with enough RAM and hard drive to
> handle newer program versions, which seem to require more disk storage,
> faster CPU and much more RAM.
> Brian
>
>
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ervin,
> Glenn
> Sent: Monday, July 23, 2018 10:35 AM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [NVDA] VFO not complimentary about NVDA
>
> In VR with state agencies, we are reimbursed by Social Security if we place
>
> someone in a job that is above SGA, that is, enough for the client to get
> off SSDI.
> So usually, cost is not an issue for things like adaptive equipment and
> scripting.
> Glenn
>
>
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>  <nvda@nvda.groups.io
>
> <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> > On Behalf of Brian K. Lingard
> Sent: Friday, July 20, 2018 1:31 AM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> Subject: Re: [NVDA] VFO not complimentary about NVDA
>
> Dear Brian & List:
>
> I thought VFO Group would do JAWS scripting or put you in contact with a
> certified Jaws Scripter.
>
> Perhaps not.
>
> I do know that someone wanted a proprietary application for a car rental
> firm scripted to work with JAWS and was quoted thousands of dollars for the
>
> work and advised that every timed the firm rolled out a new version the work
>
> would have to be completely redone.
>
> I believe the would- be scripting contractor was the Smith-Kettlewell
> Foundation of San Francisco.
>
> I can see changes being required for a new version of the App, but a
> complete rewrite. That seems like someone trying to make a large company pay
>
> and pay to support only a few employees.
> Brian
>
> It may have been a proprietary telemarketing program. However, I think the
> employer to be was misquoted for the job.
> Brian
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf of Brian Vogel
> Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2018 12:34 PM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> Subject: Re: [NVDA] VFO not complimentary about NVDA
>
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 12:21 PM, Steve Nutt wrote:
> Again, if I want a program scripted in NVDA, who does it?
> If you contact NV Access, I feel certain they could point you to someone.
> Alternatively, even ask here.   Most JAWS scripters are self-taught, or were
>
> at one time anyway.  I believe NVDA scripts are done in Python (though I
> could be wrong) and there are plenty of Python programmers out there.
>
> I had to dig long and hard to find JAWS scriptwriters when they were needed
>
> about 2 years ago.  It is a real niche market.
>
> --
> Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134
>     A little kindness from person to person is better than a vast love for
> all humankind.
>            ~ Richard Dohme
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>




Re: Problem updating Windows 10

Marco Oros
 

Nope, this is function update of Windows 10.


Dňa 25. 7. 2018 o 17:43 Brian Vogel napísal(a):

What update are you trying to apply?

I'd also suggest you do a web search on the specific KB number of the update and the error code you've given.  Sometimes with cumulative updates it's easiest to ignore the issue until the next one comes out, as they will frequently work (and no one really knows why).

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

    A little kindness from person to person is better than a vast love for all humankind.

           ~ Richard Dehmel

 

 



Re: Problem updating Windows 10

 

What update are you trying to apply?

I'd also suggest you do a web search on the specific KB number of the update and the error code you've given.  Sometimes with cumulative updates it's easiest to ignore the issue until the next one comes out, as they will frequently work (and no one really knows why).

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

    A little kindness from person to person is better than a vast love for all humankind.

           ~ Richard Dehmel

 

 


Problem updating Windows 10

Marco Oros
 

Hi!

I have one problem to update Windows and for installing next updates of functions. Code of It is:

0x80070002

Please, what can I do for this?

Thank You.

Marco


Re: Digest?

Place, Vicki
 

Thank you,. Got it. J

 

=============================

Vicki Place

 

Columbia Basin College

Assistive Technology Center

Program Support Supervisor II

 

Phone: (509) 542-4428

On-Campus Ext.: 2428

Location:  T422
Mail Stop: MS-T6

 

Hours: 

7:00 am – 4:30 pm; Mon-Thurs

7:00 am- Noon; Friday

 

California State University, Northridge 

Assistive Technology Applications Certificate Program (ATACP)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is nothing stronger than a broken woman who has rebuilt herself.

-Hannah Gadsby

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Chris via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 7:22 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Digest?

 

If you click on the your subscription link at the bottom of every email you can change how you receive emails  from there

 

 

From: Place, Vicki
Sent: 25 July 2018 15:18
To: 'nvda@nvda.groups.io'
Subject: [nvda] Digest?

 

Is the a way to get a digest of posts and not individual ones?

 

=============================

Vicki Place

 

Columbia Basin College

Assistive Technology Center

Program Support Supervisor II

 

Phone: (509) 542-4428

On-Campus Ext.: 2428

Location:  T422
Mail Stop: MS-T6

 

Hours: 

7:00 am – 4:30 pm; Mon-Thurs

7:00 am- Noon; Friday

 

California State University, Northridge 

Assistive Technology Applications Certificate Program (ATACP)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is nothing stronger than a broken woman who has rebuilt herself.

-Hannah Gadsby

 

 


Re: rules for Most Lists

E.T.
 

No surprise really. These are common sense guidelines that are universally accepted but not always followed.

From E.T.'s Keyboard...
Ancient.Aliens@icloud.com
Science is not only compatible with spirituality;
it is a profound source of spirituality.| --Carl Sagan

On 7/24/2018 10:56 PM, Brian K. Lingard wrote:
Dear Antony & List:
I have noticed that almost every list I have ever subscribed to has almost the exact rules as every other list I belong to. It is almost like they were from a large rubber stamp or cookie cutter.
The rules are usually:
No flaming
Keep the language civil, like grandma was reading your posts
Please spell check before sending
Your subject line should be highly descriptive of your message body
Ask the author of a message from another source if you may post it here
In addition, Often, the rules are listed in exactly the same order on many different lists.
I expect the rules for this list are similar to other lists, even ones on different platforms, such as Mailman, Freelists.org, Yahoo groups, etc.
Brian


Re: Getting Off of SSDI, ongoing cost of access technology

Ervin, Glenn
 

That is becoming more and more the case, that folks cannot afford to go to work for fear of obtaining a job without health coverage.

I think that the entire medical system is out of control, and insurance companies are mostly to blame.

If nobody had insurance, big pharma would not be so big, they would have to make their money selling their products at a price we can afford.

I think too many people take drugs that they should not be taking.

Take Statins, those are a farce.

Folks should read the book

The Great Cholesterol Myth

By Dr. Steven Sinatra.

Not sure if I spelled the name right, he is a cardiologist.

Glenn

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian K. Lingard
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 2:31 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Getting Off of SSDI, ongoing cost of access technology

 

Dear Glenn & List:

 

Here in Canada, at least Ontario, you are considered successfully placed in gainful employment if the job is expected to last at least six months. Friends receiving ODSP [Ontario Disability Support Program] payments who have many medical conditions, each with at least one prescription medicine, have told me time and again they are capable of gainful work, however, as a part-time employee, they will not have a Prescription Medicine Plan. ODSP provides each recipient with a Prescription Drug Benefit that covers most, however, not all, prescriptions.

 

However, if you require a prescription not on the formulary, you may request it be covered for you as your doctor has prescribed it, it is expensive, and often the only medicine licensed in Canada to treat your condition. If this does not work, you may apply to The Trillium Plan for coverage of the drug in your particular case.

 

Friend of mine's spouse was diagnosed with gallstones. The doctor wanted to dissolve them with an expensive medicine. Their ODSP monthly income was maybe, $1,000 combined for the two of them. Friend takes the prescription to his usual pharmacy, asks what it costs, answer was $300 for a month's supply. He contacts his doctor, who writes an appeal letter to the Min of Health, after a few weeks went by, they approved it. Unfortunately, the medicine did not dissolve the stones.

 

His wife was diabetic, had heart issues and for these reasons was a bad candidate for surgery.

 

At the time, Lithotripsy, busting the stones into fine powder, was not available in Ottawa. It was in Montreal, province just across the Ottawa River, and with its own Min of Health, friend of mine called around various hospitals there, found one that did this treatment, gave the info to his wife's doctor, who said I heard they no longer do this! Meanwhile, about a day before, the hospital had told my friend they did do it, have the doctor in Ottawa send them a referral. Therefore, my friend said why run up his phone bill if the doctor will say he heard they no longer do it.

 

I do not know of a laparoscopic procedure, where they operate through a small hole to the scene of the procedure was an option. Have heard these procedures are much less stressful on the body, compared to a traditional open procedure.

 

One friend of mine, in Toronto, is blind, diabetic, with MS and probably other issues. Between her various doctors, she is on 32 prescriptions, with the Ontario Drug Benefit, pharmacies may charge a $2 co-pay per prescription. That is $64/month. Many pharmacies will waive the $2 co-pay, others do not. The nursing home she resided at dealt with one pharmacy did would not waive the co-pay. Her entire ODSP cheque of around $700/month went to pay the daily fee for staying the home, except for her $100/month comfort allowance, which was to cover replacement clothes, feminine hygiene products, toothpaste, phone & cable tv if any, she also smoked. After trying to explain to the home the $64 co-pay would be the largest item in her budget, she cannot afford it, and getting the story they only wanted to deal with the single pharmacy as it simplified ordering, she decided the home could bill her all they wanted for the co-pay, however, she refused to pay it. Her prescription medicines kept arriving and she had more spending money.

 

Having the Soc. Security Admin. Pay for access technology, with scripting and training, to get someone into the workforce, earning more than the prevailing SGA is fine. However, access tech wears out, requires maintenance and can become unusable due to advances in computer technology. Many perfectly good braille displays and synthesizers became obsolete when their makers decided not to make drivers available for them when a Windows upgrade required new drivers, or computers no longer had parallel & serial ports, just USB ones.

 

The braille displays were well built, however the firm that took over the equipment when TSI went bust, chose to not prolong their working life as they competed directly with the Braille displays the firm designed & built themselves. Freedom Scientific, now VFO Group was one firm that did this. In addition, manufacturers of access tech can go bust, making well-designed displays, however, not with enough market share to make the units and especially the r and d to design newer ones.

 

 

There is also the issue of funding equipment maintenance, replacement and scripting updated or new applications. If you work for Government, your department or agency is expected to pay for this. Fine. The scripter says it will cost $75,000 to script the soon to be released update to the main app you use. The department has perhaps one or two blind employees who need the update. If updates are released semi-annually, that is $1590, 000 for the updates or $75,000 per blind employee. If the employee is a Quad or amputee, using a sip & puff system to control their telephone, terminal printers etc. the cost of reprogramming their sit & puff system can approach the Public Debt of the United States of America. This is because sip & puff systems are almost custom-made, as is their programming.

 

When my employer was concerned over the cost of a PC for me, offered, well, I earn my hourly wage whether I am doing productive work or waiting for the PC to compute. I prefer doing productive work. The boss accepted this line of reasoning and purchased the faster PC with enough RAM and hard drive to handle newer program versions, which seem to require more disk storage, faster CPU and much more RAM.

Brian

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ervin, Glenn
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2018 10:35 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [NVDA] VFO not complimentary about NVDA

 

In VR with state agencies, we are reimbursed by Social Security if we place someone in a job that is above SGA, that is, enough for the client to get off SSDI.

So usually, cost is not an issue for things like adaptive equipment and scripting.

Glenn

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf of Brian K. Lingard
Sent: Friday, July 20, 2018 1:31 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [NVDA] VFO not complimentary about NVDA

 

Dear Brian & List:

 

I thought VFO Group would do JAWS scripting or put you in contact with a certified Jaws Scripter.

 

Perhaps not.

 

I do know that someone wanted a proprietary application for a car rental firm scripted to work with JAWS and was quoted thousands of dollars for the work and advised that every timed the firm rolled out a new version the work would have to be completely redone.

 

I believe the would- be scripting contractor was the Smith-Kettlewell Foundation of San Francisco.

 

I can see changes being required for a new version of the App, but a complete rewrite. That seems like someone trying to make a large company pay and pay to support only a few employees.

Brian

 

It may have been a proprietary telemarketing program. However, I think the employer to be was misquoted for the job.

Brian

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2018 12:34 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [NVDA] VFO not complimentary about NVDA

 

On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 12:21 PM, Steve Nutt wrote:

Again, if I want a program scripted in NVDA, who does it?

If you contact NV Access, I feel certain they could point you to someone.  Alternatively, even ask here.   Most JAWS scripters are self-taught, or were at one time anyway.  I believe NVDA scripts are done in Python (though I could be wrong) and there are plenty of Python programmers out there.

I had to dig long and hard to find JAWS scriptwriters when they were needed about 2 years ago.  It is a real niche market.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

    A little kindness from person to person is better than a vast love for all humankind.

           ~ Richard Dohme