Date   

Re: nvda not speaking program/icon on the desktop when pressing first letter

 

Hi,
I suspect NVDA is not being notified about selection changes, sometimes
caused by an add-on or a setting interfering with what NVDA is supposed to
do. To test, try restarting with all add-ons disabled, and if that solves
the issue, we can move onto isolating individual add-ons.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Sunday, July 12, 2020 1:00 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda not speaking program/icon on the desktop when
pressing first letter

The original message doesn't say there is no speech. It gives one specific
condition where there is no speech, when you use first letter navigation in
a list. Since there is speech, the possible solutions don't apply.

I have no reason why no speech occurs at that one specific time. Using read
current line should easily solve the problem and the command takes almost no
time to execute. It may be possible to find the reason by examining the log
but there are some problems that are so minor and so easily worked around
that they aren't worth solving, though you may, if you wish to, pursue it,
of course.

Gene
-----Original Message-----
From: hurrikennyandopo ...
Sent: Sunday, July 12, 2020 2:37 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda not speaking program/icon on the desktop when
pressing first letter



Hi




I am sure you would of checked the following on the computer.




One that his speakers are plugged into the right whole and turned on.




On the computer the sound is not muted.




Press the windows key + letter R to bring up the run dialogue then type in
sndvol then press the enter key.




The next screen that comes up will have the master volume make sure it is
right up so you can hear it and not down on zero.




There is a box under it if checked it will mute the sound so make sure it is

un checked.




If you can see nvda is running but not talking under that section I think
there is a slider to make it louder there.




Also check when nvda is running that under the synth settings in nvda you
press the nvda key + ctrl key + the letter S to bring it up.




Make sure under the synth section that it has a synth there and not set to
no speech if it is set to that change it to e speak or another synth
package.




Gene nz




On 13/07/2020 2:25 am, Fresh Start wrote:


Hi All, I am using NVDA 20.1 on a client's windows ten pro laptop. When on
the desktop or in a list of programs or files, NVDA doesn't speak the name
of a program or file when pressing it's first letter. However, the cursor
does go to the location. I know this by arrowing up and then down. I tried

maximizing but didn't cause any change in behavior. Any ideas to resolve
the problem? Thanks in advance.

Subscribe to the Fresh Start Daily Devotion by sending a message to the
e-mail address shown below with subscribe in the subject field.

dan@...



Unsubscribe from the Fresh Start Daily Devotion by sending a message to the
e-mail address shown below with unsubscribe in the subject field.

dan@...

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own
understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your
paths straight."

(Proverbs 3:5,6 NIV)


Re: nvda not speaking program/icon on the desktop when pressing first letter

Gene
 

The original message doesn't say there is no speech. It gives one specific condition where there is no speech, when you use first letter navigation in a list. Since there is speech, the possible solutions don't apply.

I have no reason why no speech occurs at that one specific time. Using read current line should easily solve the problem and the command takes almost no time to execute. It may be possible to find the reason by examining the log but there are some problems that are so minor and so easily worked around that they aren't worth solving, though you may, if you wish to, pursue it, of course.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
From: hurrikennyandopo ...
Sent: Sunday, July 12, 2020 2:37 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda not speaking program/icon on the desktop when pressing first letter



Hi




I am sure you would of checked the following on the computer.




One that his speakers are plugged into the right whole and turned on.




On the computer the sound is not muted.




Press the windows key + letter R to bring up the run dialogue then type in sndvol then press the enter key.




The next screen that comes up will have the master volume make sure it is right up so you can hear it and not down on zero.




There is a box under it if checked it will mute the sound so make sure it is un checked.




If you can see nvda is running but not talking under that section I think there is a slider to make it louder there.




Also check when nvda is running that under the synth settings in nvda you press the nvda key + ctrl key + the letter S to bring it up.




Make sure under the synth section that it has a synth there and not set to no speech if it is set to that change it to e speak or another synth package.




Gene nz




On 13/07/2020 2:25 am, Fresh Start wrote:


Hi All, I am using NVDA 20.1 on a client’s windows ten pro laptop. When on the desktop or in a list of programs or files, NVDA doesn’t speak the name of a program or file when pressing it’s first letter. However, the cursor does go to the location. I know this by arrowing up and then down. I tried maximizing but didn’t cause any change in behavior. Any ideas to resolve the problem? Thanks in advance.

Subscribe to the Fresh Start Daily Devotion by sending a message to the e-mail address shown below with subscribe in the subject field.

dan@...



Unsubscribe from the Fresh Start Daily Devotion by sending a message to the e-mail address shown below with unsubscribe in the subject field.

dan@...

“Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.”

(Proverbs 3:5,6 NIV)


Re: nvda not speaking program/icon on the desktop when pressing first letter

hurrikennyandopo ...
 

Hi


Another that just come to mind is you might of accidentally turned off speech on nvda.


Use the nvda key + letter S to toggle between no speech, beep and talk then save your settings with the ctrl key + nvda key + the letter C



i guess it could easily be done if you wanted to change your synth settings but missed out the ctrl key .



Gene nz


 nz


On 13/07/2020 2:25 am, Fresh Start wrote:

Hi All, I am using NVDA 20.1 on a client’s windows ten pro laptop. When on the desktop or in a list of programs or files, NVDA doesn’t speak the name of a program or file when pressing it’s first letter.  However, the cursor does go to the location.  I know this by arrowing up and then down.  I tried maximizing but didn’t cause any change in behavior.  Any ideas to resolve the problem?  Thanks in advance.

Subscribe to the Fresh Start Daily Devotion by sending a message to the e-mail address shown below with subscribe in the subject field.

dan@...

 

Unsubscribe from the Fresh Start Daily Devotion by sending a message to the e-mail address shown below with unsubscribe in the subject field.

dan@...

“Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.”

(Proverbs 3:5,6 NIV)

 


Re: nvda not speaking program/icon on the desktop when pressing first letter

hurrikennyandopo ...
 

Hi


I am sure you would of checked the following on the computer.


One that his speakers are plugged into the right whole and turned on.


On the computer the sound is not muted.


Press the windows key + letter R to bring up the run dialogue then type in sndvol then press the enter key.


The next screen that comes up will have the master volume make sure it is right up so you can hear it and not down on zero.


There is a box under it if checked it will mute the sound so make sure it is un checked.


If you can see nvda is running but not talking under that section I think there is a slider to make it louder there.


Also check when nvda is running that under the synth settings in nvda you press the nvda key + ctrl key + the letter S to bring it up.


Make sure under the synth section that it has a synth there and not set to no speech if it is set to that change it to e speak or another synth package.


Gene nz


On 13/07/2020 2:25 am, Fresh Start wrote:

Hi All, I am using NVDA 20.1 on a client’s windows ten pro laptop. When on the desktop or in a list of programs or files, NVDA doesn’t speak the name of a program or file when pressing it’s first letter.  However, the cursor does go to the location.  I know this by arrowing up and then down.  I tried maximizing but didn’t cause any change in behavior.  Any ideas to resolve the problem?  Thanks in advance.

Subscribe to the Fresh Start Daily Devotion by sending a message to the e-mail address shown below with subscribe in the subject field.

dan@...

 

Unsubscribe from the Fresh Start Daily Devotion by sending a message to the e-mail address shown below with unsubscribe in the subject field.

dan@...

“Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.”

(Proverbs 3:5,6 NIV)

 


Re: Subscribing/Unsubscribing from the NVDA Group on Groups.io

 

On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 01:23 AM, zahra wrote:
fortunately it worked for me!
-
Glad to hear it.

After posting the instructions I posted, I decided to dig in to the Groups.io static help page, where I was not surprised to find this:

I Am On Gmail And I Don't Like Getting Copies Of My Messages
To turn off duplicate emails, log into your account. Then look for the dropdown in the top right corner of the page, which will be either your name or email address. Click that and then click Account. From your Account page, click the Preferences sidebar tab. Look for the 'I always want copies of my own messages' checkbox and uncheck that. Then click the Update Preferences button.

 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

      ~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

 

 


nvda not speaking program/icon on the desktop when pressing first letter

Fresh Start
 

Hi All, I am using NVDA 20.1 on a client’s windows ten pro laptop. When on the desktop or in a list of programs or files, NVDA doesn’t speak the name of a program or file when pressing it’s first letter.  However, the cursor does go to the location.  I know this by arrowing up and then down.  I tried maximizing but didn’t cause any change in behavior.  Any ideas to resolve the problem?  Thanks in advance.

Subscribe to the Fresh Start Daily Devotion by sending a message to the e-mail address shown below with subscribe in the subject field.

dan@...

 

Unsubscribe from the Fresh Start Daily Devotion by sending a message to the e-mail address shown below with unsubscribe in the subject field.

dan@...

“Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.”

(Proverbs 3:5,6 NIV)

 


Re: Subscribing/Unsubscribing from the NVDA Group on Groups.io

 

fortunately it worked for me!
i am very glad,
thanks so much
brian,
luke,
gene
for your helps and God bless you all!

On 7/12/20, zahra ayat <nasrinkhaksar3@...> wrote:
brian,
i went to nvda.groups.io
made a password for myself.
logged in to my account,
and then, selected zahra,
then expanded the menu and found my account.
under account, i selected preferences
and unchecked the option that tell me if i want to have copy of my
messages and updated my preferences.
hope that this method works for me and i dont have duplicate messages
of myself in my nvda folder!

On 7/7/20, Brian Vogel <@britechguy> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 07:53 AM, zahra wrote:


what can i do to not have duplicate of my messages?
You know, Zahra, you have already been given explicit instructions on
where
and how to start, but have chosen to ignore those. Until, and unless,
you
get yourself logged in to the Groups.io website, and check the account
setting I've already mentioned, there would be absolutely, positively no
point in doing anything else, for that simple change may be it.

Help is a two way street, and ignoring taking the steps given by
potential
(or actual) assistants doesn't encourage further assistance to be
forthcoming.

--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363

*Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its
platform. Now, you simply declare your own truth.*

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine
Sentiment
Took Hold in the United States (
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/23/health/anti-vaccination-movement-us.html
) , September 23, 2019




--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali
--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali


Re: Subscribing/Unsubscribing from the NVDA Group on Groups.io

 

brian,
i went to nvda.groups.io
made a password for myself.
logged in to my account,
and then, selected zahra,
then expanded the menu and found my account.
under account, i selected preferences
and unchecked the option that tell me if i want to have copy of my
messages and updated my preferences.
hope that this method works for me and i dont have duplicate messages
of myself in my nvda folder!

On 7/7/20, Brian Vogel <@britechguy> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 07:53 AM, zahra wrote:


what can i do to not have duplicate of my messages?
You know, Zahra, you have already been given explicit instructions on where
and how to start, but have chosen to ignore those. Until, and unless, you
get yourself logged in to the Groups.io website, and check the account
setting I've already mentioned, there would be absolutely, positively no
point in doing anything else, for that simple change may be it.

Help is a two way street, and ignoring taking the steps given by potential
(or actual) assistants doesn't encourage further assistance to be
forthcoming.

--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363

*Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its
platform. Now, you simply declare your own truth.*

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment
Took Hold in the United States (
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/23/health/anti-vaccination-movement-us.html
) , September 23, 2019



--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali


Re: I have purchased vocalizer expressive, but where is my license key

Laughing Thunder
 

You use your account credentials to login after you install the NVDA add-on and voices you want. Then you can activate it.

On 7/10/2020 8:35 AM, Socheat Muth wrote:
Hi all, especially to the developer of the vocalizer expressive for NVDA


I have purchased the vocalizer expressive for NVDA, and I only receive PayPal e-mail confirmation about my order, but no actual e-mail from Tiflotecnia about my license. Is the license system suppose to be automatic, or it has to be processed manually? I also sent an e-mail to support contact found on the website, but I also email it in case the one I was sending not checked.


Thanks.


--
Laughingthunder


Re: nvda not reading powershell output.

Luke Davis
 

I spoke too soon. These options no longer appear to have an effect on power shell.

Another question: are you running as:

(1) A normal user;
(2) an administrative user; or
(3) an elevated power shell?

Luke

On Fri, 10 Jul 2020, Luke Davis wrote some irrelevant nonsense:

First let me say that I do not now have this problem on NVDA alpha and Win 10 2004, but have had it in the past.

Under NVDA advanced settings, how do you have things configured? My settings are as follows:
Use UI Automation to access the windows console when available: not checked.
Use the new typed character support in Windows console when available:


Re: nvda not reading powershell output.

Luke Davis
 

First let me say that I do not now have this problem on NVDA alpha and Win 10 2004, but have had it in the past.

Under NVDA advanced settings, how do you have things configured? My settings are as follows:

Use UI Automation to access the windows console when available: not checked.
Use the new typed character support in Windows console when available: checked.

Luke

On Fri, 10 Jul 2020, Austin Pinto wrote:

tried this on windows 10 2004 and latest windows insider build.
if i type any commands in powershell the typing is being read but the
output is not being read.
is it some problem or do i need to reinstall nvda.


Re: NVDA saying unknown again in browsers

Kenny Nead <knead54@...>
 

Then it is something like $90, or $99 something like that a year.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Friday, July 10, 2020 6:07 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA saying unknown again in browsers

As the message said, it is free until the end of August. You can use it as a full version.

It is a way for the current owners of JAWS to perform a public service during this time when so much communication is being done with computers and from home.

Gene
-----Original Message-----
From: Arlene
Sent: Friday, July 10, 2020 6:03 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA saying unknown again in browsers



Hi, is it free for those who don’t have Jaws on their system? I have it. It
was given to me as a gift. I have both it and NVDA.



Sent from Mail for Windows 10





From: Kenny Nead
Sent: July 10, 2020 7:21 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA saying unknown again in browsers





And right now it is free till end of August.





From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Scott
Berry
Sent: Friday, July 10, 2020 8:38 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA saying unknown again in browsers





That's not true. You might just want to give Jaws 2020 a try. It's pretty
damn good.







On 7/9/2020 3:52 PM, g melconian wrote:



Thanks but no thanks. None of my business apps work correctly with JAWS to
begin with.everything needs to be scripted and cost an arm and a leg
where as it will work out of the box with NVDA and Window Eyes like
quickbooks, tax applications like tax act, and so on.I am not going to waste
my time with a company who has no clue how to optimize their producs to
work without haveot scripting to the moon to get them to work.they should
just work out of the box with the screen reader without all this heavy
programming and scripting knowledge.





From: nvda@nvda.groups.io mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io On Behalf Of Kenny Nead
Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 2:44 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA saying unknown again in browsers





If you are wondering about Jaws, on the Freedom Scientific web site, you can
get Jaws free till the end of August, good way to try the Jaws 2020 out.





From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of g
melconian
Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 4:36 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA saying unknown again in browsers





Thast good to know. I think more and more of the windows 10 pro features are
all coming to home versions in some sort or fashion.same like you I have
one pro machine for my financial / consulting business. All the others in
the house are home windows 10 pcs with NVDA an older version of Window Eyes
and JAWS , on them. What can I do and there is no compeling reason to
upgrade to the latest JAWS as they don’t offer much lately just bells and
whistles and gimmicks that I cant se myself using.as I am on business
applications an make use of the web JAWS is a pig as far as resources when
it comes to the web over my old Window Eyes or NVDA.





From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kenny Nead
Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 2:06 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA saying unknown again in browsers





Thank you!



From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian
Vogel
Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 3:07 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA saying unknown again in browsers



Kenny,

Unless there is something specific in Pro that you simply must
have, I see no compelling reason to change edition from Home to Pro. It's
really a personal choice. I'd still be on Home except for the fact that I
have enough clients on Pro that when I need to troubleshoot something
"Pro-specific" it's handy to have one machine that has Pro. All the other
Windows 10 machines in my household are Windows 10 Home.

Cearbhall,

No great surprise there, and I'm glad that a demonstration has
been made of the "intelligence" of the Windows 10 installer. There was a
time where you could actually force update a machine that was displaying the
"not quite ready" message in the Windows Update Pane. This never made the
slightest sense to me, as if Microsoft deems the hardware "not ready" it's
not ready, and any one of the ways of upgrading to the next Feature Update
should detect that, and give a, "Whoa, Nelly!!," type message saying that
the update cannot yet be done.

Whatever method it was you used to try to force it clearly
detected the "not ready" state and aborted, as it should. That is, unless
I'm misreading you and you're saying that you manually aborted a force
update as soon as you had the opportunity after kicking it off. In which
case, ignore all that came before.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.
Now, you simply declare your own truth.

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine
Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019


Re: NVDA saying unknown again in browsers

Gene
 

As the message said, it is free until the end of August. You can use it as a full version.

It is a way for the current owners of JAWS to perform a public service during this time when so much communication is being done with computers and from home.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
From: Arlene
Sent: Friday, July 10, 2020 6:03 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA saying unknown again in browsers



Hi, is it free for those who don’t have Jaws on their system? I have it. It was given to me as a gift. I have both it and NVDA.



Sent from Mail for Windows 10





From: Kenny Nead
Sent: July 10, 2020 7:21 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA saying unknown again in browsers





And right now it is free till end of August.





From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Scott Berry
Sent: Friday, July 10, 2020 8:38 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA saying unknown again in browsers





That's not true. You might just want to give Jaws 2020 a try. It's pretty damn good.







On 7/9/2020 3:52 PM, g melconian wrote:



Thanks but no thanks. None of my business apps work correctly with JAWS to begin with.everything needs to be scripted and cost an arm and a leg where as it will work out of the box with NVDA and Window Eyes like quickbooks, tax applications like tax act, and so on.I am not going to waste my time with a company who has no clue how to optimize their producs to work without haveot scripting to the moon to get them to work.they should just work out of the box with the screen reader without all this heavy programming and scripting knowledge.





From: nvda@nvda.groups.io mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io On Behalf Of Kenny Nead
Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 2:44 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA saying unknown again in browsers





If you are wondering about Jaws, on the Freedom Scientific web site, you can get Jaws free till the end of August, good way to try the Jaws 2020 out.





From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of g melconian
Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 4:36 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA saying unknown again in browsers





Thast good to know. I think more and more of the windows 10 pro features are all coming to home versions in some sort or fashion.same like you I have one pro machine for my financial / consulting business. All the others in the house are home windows 10 pcs with NVDA an older version of Window Eyes and JAWS , on them. What can I do and there is no compeling reason to upgrade to the latest JAWS as they don’t offer much lately just bells and whistles and gimmicks that I cant se myself using.as I am on business applications an make use of the web JAWS is a pig as far as resources when it comes to the web over my old Window Eyes or NVDA.





From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kenny Nead
Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 2:06 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA saying unknown again in browsers





Thank you!



From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 3:07 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA saying unknown again in browsers



Kenny,

Unless there is something specific in Pro that you simply must have, I see no compelling reason to change edition from Home to Pro. It's really a personal choice. I'd still be on Home except for the fact that I have enough clients on Pro that when I need to troubleshoot something "Pro-specific" it's handy to have one machine that has Pro. All the other Windows 10 machines in my household are Windows 10 Home.

Cearbhall,

No great surprise there, and I'm glad that a demonstration has been made of the "intelligence" of the Windows 10 installer. There was a time where you could actually force update a machine that was displaying the "not quite ready" message in the Windows Update Pane. This never made the slightest sense to me, as if Microsoft deems the hardware "not ready" it's not ready, and any one of the ways of upgrading to the next Feature Update should detect that, and give a, "Whoa, Nelly!!," type message saying that the update cannot yet be done.

Whatever method it was you used to try to force it clearly detected the "not ready" state and aborted, as it should. That is, unless I'm misreading you and you're saying that you manually aborted a force update as soon as you had the opportunity after kicking it off. In which case, ignore all that came before.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform. Now, you simply declare your own truth.

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019


Re: NVDA saying unknown again in browsers

Arlene
 

Hi, is it free for those who don’t have Jaws on their system? I have it. It was given to me as a gift. I have both it and NVDA.

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Kenny Nead
Sent: July 10, 2020 7:21 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA saying unknown again in browsers

 

And right now it is free till end of August.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Scott Berry
Sent: Friday, July 10, 2020 8:38 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA saying unknown again in browsers

 

That's not true.  You might just want to give Jaws 2020 a try.  It's pretty damn good.

 

 

On 7/9/2020 3:52 PM, g melconian wrote:

Thanks but no thanks. None of my business apps work correctly with JAWS to begin with.everything needs to    be scripted and cost an  arm and  a leg where  as it will work out of  the box  with NVDA and Window Eyes like quickbooks, tax applications like tax act, and so on.I am not going to waste  my time with a company who has no clue how to  optimize their producs  to work without haveot scripting to the moon to get them to work.they should   just work out of the box with the screen reader without all this heavy programming and scripting knowledge. 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kenny Nead
Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 2:44 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA saying unknown again in browsers

 

If you are wondering about Jaws, on the Freedom Scientific web site, you can get Jaws free till the end of August, good way to try the Jaws 2020 out.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of g melconian
Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 4:36 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA saying unknown again in browsers

 

Thast good to know. I think more and more of the windows 10 pro features are all coming to  home versions in some sort or fashion.same like you I have one pro machine for my financial / consulting business. All the others in the house are home windows 10 pcs with NVDA an older version of Window Eyes and JAWS , on them. What can I do and   there is no compeling reason to upgrade to  the latest JAWS as they don’t offer much lately just bells and whistles and gimmicks that I cant se myself using.as I am on business applications an make use of the web JAWS is a pig as far as resources when it comes to the web over  my old Window Eyes or NVDA. 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kenny Nead
Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 2:06 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA saying unknown again in browsers

 

Thank you!

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 3:07 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA saying unknown again in browsers

 

Kenny,

            Unless there is something specific in Pro that you simply must have, I see no compelling reason to change edition from Home to Pro.  It's really a personal choice.  I'd still be on Home except for the fact that I have enough clients on Pro that when I need to troubleshoot something "Pro-specific" it's handy to have one machine that has Pro.  All the other Windows 10 machines in my household are Windows 10 Home.

Cearbhall,

             No great surprise there, and I'm glad that a demonstration has been made of the "intelligence" of the Windows 10 installer.  There was a time where you could actually force update a machine that was displaying the "not quite ready" message in the Windows Update Pane.  This never made the slightest sense to me, as if Microsoft deems the hardware "not ready" it's not ready, and any one of the ways of upgrading to the next Feature Update should detect that, and give a, "Whoa, Nelly!!," type message saying that the update cannot yet be done.

              Whatever method it was you used to try to force it clearly detected the "not ready" state and aborted, as it should.  That is, unless I'm misreading you and you're saying that you manually aborted a force update as soon as you had the opportunity after kicking it off.  In which case, ignore all that came before.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

      ~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

 

 

 


Re: addon

hurrikennyandopo ...
 

Hi


The link you gave is broken but have searched for it and will paste here at https://github.com/davidacm/EnhancedPhoneticReading


It is working with nvda 2020.1


Gene nz


On 11/07/2020 12:06 am, Rui Fontes wrote:

Hello!


Enhanced Phonetic Reading


Rui Fontes


Às 12:43 de 10/07/2020, Robert Doc Wright godfearer escreveu:
What is the name of the addon that gave the phonetic of a letter when your cursor is sitting on it?


Re: addon

Rui Fontes
 

The oficial URL is:

https://github.com/david-acm/EnhancedPhoneticReading


Rui Fontes


Às 19:23 de 10/07/2020, Robert Doc Wright godfearer escreveu:

Where can I find it? It is not listed in the addon community.
----- Original Message -----
From: Rui Fontes
Sent: Friday, July 10, 2020 6:06 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] addon

Hello!


Enhanced Phonetic Reading


Rui Fontes


Às 12:43 de 10/07/2020, Robert Doc Wright godfearer escreveu:
What is the name of the addon that gave the phonetic of a letter when your cursor is sitting on it?


Re: addon

Robert Doc Wright godfearer
 

Where can I find it? It is not listed in the addon community.

----- Original Message -----
From: Rui Fontes
Sent: Friday, July 10, 2020 6:06 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] addon

Hello!


Enhanced Phonetic Reading


Rui Fontes


Às 12:43 de 10/07/2020, Robert Doc Wright godfearer escreveu:
What is the name of the addon that gave the phonetic of a letter when your cursor is sitting on it?


Re: nvda not reading powershell output.

g melconian
 

Austin, I don’t know as I don’t have 2004. But its working on 1909 with power shell.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Austin Pinto
Sent: Friday, July 10, 2020 7:02 AM
To: nvda <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: [nvda] nvda not reading powershell output.

hi all.
tried this on windows 10 2004 and latest windows insider build.
if i type any commands in powershell the typing is being read but the output is not being read.
is it some problem or do i need to reinstall nvda.


Re: wild cards in speech dictionary

Scott Berry
 

Patrick,


Although it didn't read with a decimal the font atribute did help make more sense out of the numbers.  thank you for your guidance.

On 7/10/2020 10:22 AM, Patrick Le Baudour wrote:
Hi,

One possibility is that there is no delimiter, but the cents are shown as exponent/superscript.  If done through the <sup> tag at least, it can be told by nvda when enabling font attribute in document formatting settings. Some more fancy ways of doing it may not be reported, though.


-- Patrick


Re: wild cards in speech dictionary

Scott Berry
 

Yes your right Sarah.  It's just a sighty thing I suppose because it's quicker to look at


.

On 7/10/2020 10:19 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

I have. The best buy app at least on iOs does this, not sure about the web site. I bought a cord for $410 when in reality it was $4.10. They don't use the decimal for some reason.

--

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

Check out my adventures with a shadow machine.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on twitch. Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 10 Jul 2020, at 6:55, Brian Vogel wrote:

As in all cases like this, providing a couple of URLs that give examples of what you're having an issue with goes a long way toward finding the necessary solution.

I have never in my life seen two ones used as a way to denote a dollar sign or dollars.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

      ~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019