Date   

Re: wild cards in speech dictionary

Scott Berry
 

Patrick,


I bet your exactly right.  What option in the settings especially would I be looking for?

On 7/10/2020 10:22 AM, Patrick Le Baudour wrote:
Hi,

One possibility is that there is no delimiter, but the cents are shown as exponent/superscript.  If done through the <sup> tag at least, it can be told by nvda when enabling font attribute in document formatting settings. Some more fancy ways of doing it may not be reported, though.


-- Patrick


Re: wild cards in speech dictionary

Patrick Le Baudour
 

Hi,

One possibility is that there is no delimiter, but the cents are shown as exponent/superscript. If done through the <sup> tag at least, it can be told by nvda when enabling font attribute in document formatting settings. Some more fancy ways of doing it may not be reported, though.


-- Patrick


Re: wild cards in speech dictionary

Sarah k Alawami
 

I have. The best buy app at least on iOs does this, not sure about the web site. I bought a cord for $410 when in reality it was $4.10. They don't use the decimal for some reason.

--

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

Check out my adventures with a shadow machine.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on twitch. Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 10 Jul 2020, at 6:55, Brian Vogel wrote:

As in all cases like this, providing a couple of URLs that give examples of what you're having an issue with goes a long way toward finding the necessary solution.

I have never in my life seen two ones used as a way to denote a dollar sign or dollars.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

      ~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

 

 


Re: nvda not reading powershell output.

Ralf Kefferpuetz
 

Maybe you should turn on report dynamic content changes. Try to toggle it with NVDA-5

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Austin Pinto
Sent: Freitag, 10. Juli 2020 16:02
To: nvda <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: [nvda] nvda not reading powershell output.

hi all.
tried this on windows 10 2004 and latest windows insider build.
if i type any commands in powershell the typing is being read but the output is not being read.
is it some problem or do i need to reinstall nvda.


Re: NVDA saying unknown again in browsers

Kenny Nead <knead54@...>
 

I have never done anything like this before, is it dangerous to my computer, if I do not know what I am doing?

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shaun Everiss
Sent: Friday, July 10, 2020 4:08 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA saying unknown again in browsers

 

Well I have updated my old hp amd ryzen 2500 system to windows 2004 and its ok.

The only things I needed to update were a connection utility and audio drivers.

There was an older intel 7th gen, an ay series, and that also just worked.

I just updated a elete desk 800g2 6th gen to windows 10 latest and also updated drivers and this from windows 1500.

One thing I did do before updating to the latest was to install all drivers and bios updates first.

Not sure if that had anything to do with it but it was all smooth and it  worked.

So check and see what needs updating by going to hp support assistant, and hitting space on the serial number, go to https://support.hp.com

click accept

click software and drivers

hit the identify button then hit ok.

Or hit laptop or desktop, enter the serial or product number from support assistant in the field previded, then go button, then download and run all drivers that say 2020 on themm.

Note have device manager open in control panel and add remove programs open to to see what you have installed so you get the right things.

Once all drivers and diagnostics are installed and the system is rebooted it should work.

The only exceptions are the firmware which may have different instructions.

Desktop bios on the elete and pro line you can update bios, back it up and ok it and let it run and update and it will eventually just do and it will work.

On the the laptops its a bit more of a visual doodle and will take a bit longer to update.

Basically when the system on a desktop stops boot looping and finally beeps hit enter and it will boot and go.

On a laptop wait till the fan stops spinning and windows loads and its done.

You may have to go for a break for a few minutes round 10 or so on laptops and just wing it and it will come back.

Just don't lose power is all.

 

 

On 10/07/2020 9:27 am, Kenny Nead wrote:

Hi, We have 2 computers, a Dell solid state, that I updated it to 2004, it went well, but slow, then my wife has a H P, and we updated it, it went all the way through the update, then messed up when it said to restart it, so we left it at 1909, and now it says it is up to date. So will leave it alone till it gets good and ready. This was several weeks ago.   

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Cearbhall O'Meadhra
Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 2:56 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA saying unknown again in browsers

 

Brian,

 

You may be glad to hear that Windows Update refused to complete saying that my PC settings were not ready for version 2004 and declaring that they are working on it and would get there eventually!

 

I have aborted the upgrade and will continue as I am for now.

 

 

All the best,

 

Cearbhall

 

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 4:48 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA saying unknown again in browsers

 

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 08:22 AM, Kenny Nead wrote:

But why not update to 1909?

Unless you happen to have the ISO file for 1909 on hand (or can get it) that's not happening these days.  The Media Creation Tool will always create the ISO (or bootable USB media from the ISO) for the currently released version of Windows 10, which is now 2004.

Also, figuring out what's up here and getting it fixed under 2004 (whether that fix is in NVDA or not), while a pain, is a useful exercise in itself, as it's going to keep occurring if the root cause is not determined.

And Gene's comment earlier this morning echoes what Joseph Lee and myself have been saying for years now on the Windows 10 for Screen Reader users group:  Unless there is something in a feature update that you absolutely need, which seldom if ever occurs, don't elect to apply it in the early days of the roll out.  Even Windows 10 Home Users have the ability now to just not activate that Download and install now link in the Windows Update pane.  Waiting a couple of months is virtually never a bad idea.

It will be interesting to learn what the root cause of this change is, as I wouldn't have thought that an unchanged browser coupled with an unchanged NVDA, even with a new version of Windows 10, would do this.  Signs point to something about Windows 10, though.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

      ~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

 

 


Re: wild cards in speech dictionary

Scott Berry
 

It's difficult to give urls because almost all survey sites require creating an account and log in.  I can provide the main url because it is on only one site.



On 7/10/2020 7:55 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
As in all cases like this, providing a couple of URLs that give examples of what you're having an issue with goes a long way toward finding the necessary solution.

I have never in my life seen two ones used as a way to denote a dollar sign or dollars.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

      ~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

 

 


Re: NVDA saying unknown again in browsers

Kenny Nead <knead54@...>
 

And right now it is free till end of August.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Scott Berry
Sent: Friday, July 10, 2020 8:38 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA saying unknown again in browsers

 

That's not true.  You might just want to give Jaws 2020 a try.  It's pretty damn good.

 

 

On 7/9/2020 3:52 PM, g melconian wrote:

Thanks but no thanks. None of my business apps work correctly with JAWS to begin with.everything needs to    be scripted and cost an  arm and  a leg where  as it will work out of  the box  with NVDA and Window Eyes like quickbooks, tax applications like tax act, and so on.I am not going to waste  my time with a company who has no clue how to  optimize their producs  to work without haveot scripting to the moon to get them to work.they should   just work out of the box with the screen reader without all this heavy programming and scripting knowledge. 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kenny Nead
Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 2:44 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA saying unknown again in browsers

 

If you are wondering about Jaws, on the Freedom Scientific web site, you can get Jaws free till the end of August, good way to try the Jaws 2020 out.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of g melconian
Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 4:36 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA saying unknown again in browsers

 

Thast good to know. I think more and more of the windows 10 pro features are all coming to  home versions in some sort or fashion.same like you I have one pro machine for my financial / consulting business. All the others in the house are home windows 10 pcs with NVDA an older version of Window Eyes and JAWS , on them. What can I do and   there is no compeling reason to upgrade to  the latest JAWS as they don’t offer much lately just bells and whistles and gimmicks that I cant se myself using.as I am on business applications an make use of the web JAWS is a pig as far as resources when it comes to the web over  my old Window Eyes or NVDA. 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kenny Nead
Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 2:06 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA saying unknown again in browsers

 

Thank you!

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 3:07 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA saying unknown again in browsers

 

Kenny,

            Unless there is something specific in Pro that you simply must have, I see no compelling reason to change edition from Home to Pro.  It's really a personal choice.  I'd still be on Home except for the fact that I have enough clients on Pro that when I need to troubleshoot something "Pro-specific" it's handy to have one machine that has Pro.  All the other Windows 10 machines in my household are Windows 10 Home.

Cearbhall,

             No great surprise there, and I'm glad that a demonstration has been made of the "intelligence" of the Windows 10 installer.  There was a time where you could actually force update a machine that was displaying the "not quite ready" message in the Windows Update Pane.  This never made the slightest sense to me, as if Microsoft deems the hardware "not ready" it's not ready, and any one of the ways of upgrading to the next Feature Update should detect that, and give a, "Whoa, Nelly!!," type message saying that the update cannot yet be done.

              Whatever method it was you used to try to force it clearly detected the "not ready" state and aborted, as it should.  That is, unless I'm misreading you and you're saying that you manually aborted a force update as soon as you had the opportunity after kicking it off.  In which case, ignore all that came before.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

      ~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

 

 


nvda not reading powershell output.

 

hi all.
tried this on windows 10 2004 and latest windows insider build.
if i type any commands in powershell the typing is being read but the
output is not being read.
is it some problem or do i need to reinstall nvda.


Re: wild cards in speech dictionary

 

As in all cases like this, providing a couple of URLs that give examples of what you're having an issue with goes a long way toward finding the necessary solution.

I have never in my life seen two ones used as a way to denote a dollar sign or dollars.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

      ~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

 

 


Re: I have purchased vocalizer expressive, but where is my license key

Socheat Muth
 

Hi Rui,


Thanks for your reply. Got it now!

On 7/10/2020 8:39 PM, Rui Fontes wrote:
We already replied you in private...


Best regards,


Customer support

Tiflotecnia, Lda.


Às 14:35 de 10/07/2020, Socheat Muth escreveu:
Hi all, especially to the developer of the vocalizer expressive for NVDA


I have purchased the vocalizer expressive for NVDA, and I only receive PayPal e-mail confirmation about my order, but no actual e-mail from Tiflotecnia about my license. Is the license system suppose to be automatic, or it has to be processed manually? I also sent an e-mail to support contact found on the website, but I also email it in case the one I was sending not checked.


Thanks.




Re: I have purchased vocalizer expressive, but where is my license key

Rui Fontes
 

We already replied you in private...


Best regards,


Customer support

Tiflotecnia, Lda.


Às 14:35 de 10/07/2020, Socheat Muth escreveu:

Hi all, especially to the developer of the vocalizer expressive for NVDA


I have purchased the vocalizer expressive for NVDA, and I only receive PayPal e-mail confirmation about my order, but no actual e-mail from Tiflotecnia about my license. Is the license system suppose to be automatic, or it has to be processed manually? I also sent an e-mail to support contact found on the website, but I also email it in case the one I was sending not checked.


Thanks.



Re: NVDA saying unknown again in browsers

Scott Berry
 

That's not true.  You might just want to give Jaws 2020 a try.  It's pretty damn good.



On 7/9/2020 3:52 PM, g melconian wrote:

Thanks but no thanks. None of my business apps work correctly with JAWS to begin with.everything needs to    be scripted and cost an  arm and  a leg where  as it will work out of  the box  with NVDA and Window Eyes like quickbooks, tax applications like tax act, and so on.I am not going to waste  my time with a company who has no clue how to  optimize their producs  to work without haveot scripting to the moon to get them to work.they should   just work out of the box with the screen reader without all this heavy programming and scripting knowledge. 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kenny Nead
Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 2:44 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA saying unknown again in browsers

 

If you are wondering about Jaws, on the Freedom Scientific web site, you can get Jaws free till the end of August, good way to try the Jaws 2020 out.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of g melconian
Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 4:36 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA saying unknown again in browsers

 

Thast good to know. I think more and more of the windows 10 pro features are all coming to  home versions in some sort or fashion.same like you I have one pro machine for my financial / consulting business. All the others in the house are home windows 10 pcs with NVDA an older version of Window Eyes and JAWS , on them. What can I do and   there is no compeling reason to upgrade to  the latest JAWS as they don’t offer much lately just bells and whistles and gimmicks that I cant se myself using.as I am on business applications an make use of the web JAWS is a pig as far as resources when it comes to the web over  my old Window Eyes or NVDA. 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kenny Nead
Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 2:06 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA saying unknown again in browsers

 

Thank you!

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 3:07 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA saying unknown again in browsers

 

Kenny,

            Unless there is something specific in Pro that you simply must have, I see no compelling reason to change edition from Home to Pro.  It's really a personal choice.  I'd still be on Home except for the fact that I have enough clients on Pro that when I need to troubleshoot something "Pro-specific" it's handy to have one machine that has Pro.  All the other Windows 10 machines in my household are Windows 10 Home.

Cearbhall,

             No great surprise there, and I'm glad that a demonstration has been made of the "intelligence" of the Windows 10 installer.  There was a time where you could actually force update a machine that was displaying the "not quite ready" message in the Windows Update Pane.  This never made the slightest sense to me, as if Microsoft deems the hardware "not ready" it's not ready, and any one of the ways of upgrading to the next Feature Update should detect that, and give a, "Whoa, Nelly!!," type message saying that the update cannot yet be done.

              Whatever method it was you used to try to force it clearly detected the "not ready" state and aborted, as it should.  That is, unless I'm misreading you and you're saying that you manually aborted a force update as soon as you had the opportunity after kicking it off.  In which case, ignore all that came before.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

      ~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

 

 


I have purchased vocalizer expressive, but where is my license key

Socheat Muth
 

Hi all, especially to the developer of the vocalizer expressive for NVDA


I have purchased the vocalizer expressive for NVDA, and I only receive PayPal e-mail confirmation about my order, but no actual e-mail from Tiflotecnia about my license. Is the license system suppose to be automatic, or it has to be processed manually? I also sent an e-mail to support contact found on the website, but I also email it in case the one I was sending not checked.


Thanks.


Re: wild cards in speech dictionary

Scott Berry
 

I disagree with you when you say that they are using dollars signs.  No some sites use a point system based the dollar whereas others sites use the actuall money ammount based on the dollar. So there is a difference when they say one has 11100 and when they say one has $.80.  I will try the regex but I am not a Python programmer so I know absolutely nothing about Python.

On 7/10/2020 7:10 AM, Luke Davis wrote:
On Fri, 10 Jul 2020, Scott Berry wrote:

I was wondering if there is a way to make a wild card speech dictionary entry.  The reason for this is that one of the many survey sites I use reads numbers like 11125 and it should be $111.25.  Thanks for the help.
Of course. That's what regular expression entries are for.
Python syntax is what NVDA uses, although you don't need all the function calls and such in this howto, just the regexp stuff: https://docs.python.org/3/howto/regex.html#regex-howto

I think in your case, if they use an 11 where they mean a dollar sign, you would want something like:

\b11([\d\.]{3,})

And the replacement:

$\1

That is quite untested though.

Also, it seems highly unlikely that they are using an 11 instead of a $. Something else is probably going on. You may need to use the log viewer to find out what is actually being sent to the synth (at input output debug level), in order to find out what you actually need to replace.

Luke


Re: wild cards in speech dictionary

Luke Davis
 

On Fri, 10 Jul 2020, Scott Berry wrote:

I was wondering if there is a way to make a wild card speech dictionary entry.  The reason for this is that one of the many survey sites I use reads numbers like  11125 and it should be $111.25.  Thanks for the help.
Of course. That's what regular expression entries are for.
Python syntax is what NVDA uses, although you don't need all the function calls and such in this howto, just the regexp stuff: https://docs.python.org/3/howto/regex.html#regex-howto

I think in your case, if they use an 11 where they mean a dollar sign, you would want something like:

\b11([\d\.]{3,})

And the replacement:

$\1

That is quite untested though.

Also, it seems highly unlikely that they are using an 11 instead of a $. Something else is probably going on. You may need to use the log viewer to find out what is actually being sent to the synth (at input output debug level), in order to find out what you actually need to replace.

Luke


Re: addon

Rui Fontes
 

Hello!


Enhanced Phonetic Reading


Rui Fontes


Às 12:43 de 10/07/2020, Robert Doc Wright godfearer escreveu:

What is the name of the addon that gave the phonetic of a letter when your cursor is sitting on it?


addon

Robert Doc Wright godfearer
 

What is the name of the addon that gave the phonetic of a letter when your cursor is sitting on it?


wild cards in speech dictionary

Scott Berry
 

Hello there,


I was wondering if there is a way to make a wild card speech dictionary entry.  The reason for this is that one of the many survey sites I use reads numbers like  11125 and it should be $111.25.  Thanks for the help.


Re: NVDA saying unknown again in browsers

 

Well I have updated my old hp amd ryzen 2500 system to windows 2004 and its ok.

The only things I needed to update were a connection utility and audio drivers.

There was an older intel 7th gen, an ay series, and that also just worked.

I just updated a elete desk 800g2 6th gen to windows 10 latest and also updated drivers and this from windows 1500.

One thing I did do before updating to the latest was to install all drivers and bios updates first.

Not sure if that had anything to do with it but it was all smooth and it  worked.

So check and see what needs updating by going to hp support assistant, and hitting space on the serial number, go to https://support.hp.com

click accept

click software and drivers

hit the identify button then hit ok.

Or hit laptop or desktop, enter the serial or product number from support assistant in the field previded, then go button, then download and run all drivers that say 2020 on themm.

Note have device manager open in control panel and add remove programs open to to see what you have installed so you get the right things.

Once all drivers and diagnostics are installed and the system is rebooted it should work.

The only exceptions are the firmware which may have different instructions.

Desktop bios on the elete and pro line you can update bios, back it up and ok it and let it run and update and it will eventually just do and it will work.

On the the laptops its a bit more of a visual doodle and will take a bit longer to update.

Basically when the system on a desktop stops boot looping and finally beeps hit enter and it will boot and go.

On a laptop wait till the fan stops spinning and windows loads and its done.

You may have to go for a break for a few minutes round 10 or so on laptops and just wing it and it will come back.

Just don't lose power is all.



On 10/07/2020 9:27 am, Kenny Nead wrote:

Hi, We have 2 computers, a Dell solid state, that I updated it to 2004, it went well, but slow, then my wife has a H P, and we updated it, it went all the way through the update, then messed up when it said to restart it, so we left it at 1909, and now it says it is up to date. So will leave it alone till it gets good and ready. This was several weeks ago.   

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Cearbhall O'Meadhra
Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 2:56 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA saying unknown again in browsers

 

Brian,

 

You may be glad to hear that Windows Update refused to complete saying that my PC settings were not ready for version 2004 and declaring that they are working on it and would get there eventually!

 

I have aborted the upgrade and will continue as I am for now.

 

 

All the best,

 

Cearbhall

 

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 4:48 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA saying unknown again in browsers

 

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 08:22 AM, Kenny Nead wrote:

But why not update to 1909?

Unless you happen to have the ISO file for 1909 on hand (or can get it) that's not happening these days.  The Media Creation Tool will always create the ISO (or bootable USB media from the ISO) for the currently released version of Windows 10, which is now 2004.

Also, figuring out what's up here and getting it fixed under 2004 (whether that fix is in NVDA or not), while a pain, is a useful exercise in itself, as it's going to keep occurring if the root cause is not determined.

And Gene's comment earlier this morning echoes what Joseph Lee and myself have been saying for years now on the Windows 10 for Screen Reader users group:  Unless there is something in a feature update that you absolutely need, which seldom if ever occurs, don't elect to apply it in the early days of the roll out.  Even Windows 10 Home Users have the ability now to just not activate that Download and install now link in the Windows Update pane.  Waiting a couple of months is virtually never a bad idea.

It will be interesting to learn what the root cause of this change is, as I wouldn't have thought that an unchanged browser coupled with an unchanged NVDA, even with a new version of Windows 10, would do this.  Signs point to something about Windows 10, though.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

      ~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

 

 


Re: NVDA saying unknown again in browsers

 

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 07:03 PM, Cearbhall O'Meadhra wrote:
I discovered that they only mean that you now have all the updates relevant to your version!
This has always been the case since automatic feature updates became a thing of the past.  You will be notified that Microsoft considers your machine ready (or not quite ready) for a Feature Update in Settings, Update & Security, Windows Update pane.

Until you activate the Download and install link for the feature update, you will stay on your current version, at least for as long as the version you're on remains in support.  Very few will keep any one version on their machines until it is completely out of support. 

While there is no need to rush out to get the most recent Feature Update when it first comes out, it is a very good idea to manually trigger an update on your machine if Microsoft has put out the word that a given feature update is now considered "available for all computers."   As an example, Version 1909 was declared "available for all" months ago, and Joseph Lee posted an announcement to that effect in this very group.  When such comes out, if you are not on that version that's the time to manually update.

That day will come for 2004, too, and if you're on anything earlier than 2004 when it does (and most will be on 2004 already by then) you should manually update.  I don't know (and probably never will) why certain machines seem to not follow the standard presentation sequence for a feature update roll out.  If it doesn't, then you have good reason to manually trigger once the all clear has been given by Microsoft.  It prevents you from ending up 2 or more feature updates behind. 
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

      ~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019