Date   

Re: NVDA log from previous execution

 

Hi,

Hmmm, you say you’ve attached the log? I don’t see it.

Cheers,

Joseph

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dan Beaver
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 10:11 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA log from previous execution

 

Well, this happens from time to time and has for the past few versions.  Since it is I will include the log snippit in this posting.  This happens most often when I press the windows key while in Thunderbird but I have seen it in other apps as well.

 

The log is attached.

 

Dan Beaver

 

On 3/30/2018 11:35 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

Usually restarting NVDA should sort this out. If this happens again, please do send the log fragment to the forum so we can find out what went wrong (although I have an idea as to what, but just want to make sure).

Cheers,

Joseph

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dan Beaver
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 8:32 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA log from previous execution

 

Ok, I figured out how to find the logs.

 

It looks like it is happening because of a UIA error. 

 

Should I turn off anything to stop this?  Not sure how to approach this one.

 

Dan Beaver

 

On 3/30/2018 9:34 AM, Dan Beaver wrote:

Hi,

 

I am having a problem and thought I'd see if I could get a log of it.  The problem is that often if I am in Thunderbird or another app and I press the windows key NVDA seems to crash.  I have to restart it.

 

I can see how to get to the  current execution log but not the log from the execution when the crash happened.  How do I find this?

 

thanks.

 

Dan Beaver

 

 


Re: NVDA log from previous execution

Dan Beaver
 

Well, this happens from time to time and has for the past few versions.  Since it is I will include the log snippit in this posting.  This happens most often when I press the windows key while in Thunderbird but I have seen it in other apps as well.


The log is attached.


Dan Beaver


On 3/30/2018 11:35 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

Usually restarting NVDA should sort this out. If this happens again, please do send the log fragment to the forum so we can find out what went wrong (although I have an idea as to what, but just want to make sure).

Cheers,

Joseph

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dan Beaver
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 8:32 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA log from previous execution

 

Ok, I figured out how to find the logs.

 

It looks like it is happening because of a UIA error. 

 

Should I turn off anything to stop this?  Not sure how to approach this one.

 

Dan Beaver

 

On 3/30/2018 9:34 AM, Dan Beaver wrote:

Hi,

 

I am having a problem and thought I'd see if I could get a log of it.  The problem is that often if I am in Thunderbird or another app and I press the windows key NVDA seems to crash.  I have to restart it.

 

I can see how to get to the  current execution log but not the log from the execution when the crash happened.  How do I find this?

 

thanks.

 

Dan Beaver

 



Re: NVDA Chinese writing

Ervin, Glenn
 

Cool!

That is good to know!

Glenn

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Chris via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 11:15 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Chinese writing

 

Or to reset to nvda defaults, do the following

 

NVDA+Ctrl+R (3 times quickly) = Reset to default settings

 

This will completely reset nvda to defaults which will use your system language

 

 

And don’t forget to restart nvda after this, or changing the nvda language

For changes to take affect

 

 

 

 

From: Tyler Spivey
Sent: 30 March 2018 15:15
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Chinese writing

 

Gene is just complicating the situation needlessly.

Please try this:

 

1. Press NVDA+ctrl+g. This means hold down the NVDA key (insert),

control and press g.

2. When that dialog comes up, press e.

3. Press enter twice.

 

If that doesn't work, and you don't mind deleting your NVDA

configuration and starting again, do this:

1. Press windows+r for the run dialog.

2. Type %appdata% and press enter. This is percent, appdata, percent.

3. Find NVDA in that folder, open that, then in there find nvda.ini.

Delete it.

It's best to do all this with NVDA not running, since save configuration

on exit will overwrite it.

 

On 3/30/2018 6:52 AM, Darrel Hughes via Groups.Io wrote:

> Gene I only want to change it back to English and if you know how that

> would be helpful .  If you don't it's quite alright to say you don't

> know how.

>

>  

>

> *From:*nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] *On Behalf Of *Gene

> *Sent:* Friday, March 30, 2018 8:35 AM

> *To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io

> *Subject:* Re: [nvda] NVDA Chinese writing

>

>  

>

> When reporting problems, making statements of fact based on guesses

> isn't a good idea.  You could explain why you say you think it's Chinese

> but unless you know that no other supported languages use alphabets that

> look anything like the Chinese alphabet, at least to those who don't

> know any of these alphabets, that is a statement based on a guess. 

>

>  

>

> I'm not going into this because it matters in this specific case, the

> problem would be solved in the same way, whatever the language.  But

> when presenting any problem, don't present a guess as a statement of

> fact.  It may cause those trying to solve the problem to think it is

> something different than it is.

>

>  

>

> Gene

>

> ----- Original Message -----

>

> *From:*Darrel Hughes via Groups.Io <mailto:darrel71@...>

>

> *Sent:*Friday, March 30, 2018 8:16 AM

>

> *To:*nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>

>

> *Subject:*Re: [nvda] NVDA Chinese writing

>

>  

>

> My wife told me that it looks like Chinese

>

> -----Original Message-----

> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>

> [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Antony

> Stone

> Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 6:28 AM

> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>

> Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Chinese writing

>

> I don't know whether this is a silly question or not, but how do you know it

> is Chinese?

>

> Antony.

>

> On Friday 30 March 2018 at 02:15:52, Darrel Hughes via Groups.Io wrote:

>

>> Helo everybody

>> 

>> I am quite new to NVDA and I speak English and do not understand

>> Chinese writing at all. For some reason my NVDA has only Chinese

>> writing. Does anyone have a solution?

>> 

>> Thanks

>> Darrel

>

> --

> I want to build a machine that will be proud of me.

>

>  - Danny Hillis, creator of The Connection Machine

>

>                                                    Please reply to the list;

>                                                          please *don't* CC

> me.

>

>

>

>

>

 

 

 

 


Re: NVDA Chinese writing

Chris
 

Or to reset to nvda defaults, do the following

 

NVDA+Ctrl+R (3 times quickly) = Reset to default settings

 

This will completely reset nvda to defaults which will use your system language

 

 

And don’t forget to restart nvda after this, or changing the nvda language

For changes to take affect

 

 

 

 

From: Tyler Spivey
Sent: 30 March 2018 15:15
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Chinese writing

 

Gene is just complicating the situation needlessly.

Please try this:

 

1. Press NVDA+ctrl+g. This means hold down the NVDA key (insert),

control and press g.

2. When that dialog comes up, press e.

3. Press enter twice.

 

If that doesn't work, and you don't mind deleting your NVDA

configuration and starting again, do this:

1. Press windows+r for the run dialog.

2. Type %appdata% and press enter. This is percent, appdata, percent.

3. Find NVDA in that folder, open that, then in there find nvda.ini.

Delete it.

It's best to do all this with NVDA not running, since save configuration

on exit will overwrite it.

 

On 3/30/2018 6:52 AM, Darrel Hughes via Groups.Io wrote:

> Gene I only want to change it back to English and if you know how that

> would be helpful .  If you don't it's quite alright to say you don't

> know how.

>

>  

>

> *From:*nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] *On Behalf Of *Gene

> *Sent:* Friday, March 30, 2018 8:35 AM

> *To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io

> *Subject:* Re: [nvda] NVDA Chinese writing

>

>  

>

> When reporting problems, making statements of fact based on guesses

> isn't a good idea.  You could explain why you say you think it's Chinese

> but unless you know that no other supported languages use alphabets that

> look anything like the Chinese alphabet, at least to those who don't

> know any of these alphabets, that is a statement based on a guess. 

>

>  

>

> I'm not going into this because it matters in this specific case, the

> problem would be solved in the same way, whatever the language.  But

> when presenting any problem, don't present a guess as a statement of

> fact.  It may cause those trying to solve the problem to think it is

> something different than it is.

>

>  

>

> Gene

>

> ----- Original Message -----

>

> *From:*Darrel Hughes via Groups.Io <mailto:darrel71@...>

>

> *Sent:*Friday, March 30, 2018 8:16 AM

>

> *To:*nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>

>

> *Subject:*Re: [nvda] NVDA Chinese writing

>

>  

>

> My wife told me that it looks like Chinese

>

> -----Original Message-----

> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>

> [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Antony

> Stone

> Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 6:28 AM

> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>

> Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Chinese writing

>

> I don't know whether this is a silly question or not, but how do you know it

> is Chinese?

>

> Antony.

>

> On Friday 30 March 2018 at 02:15:52, Darrel Hughes via Groups.Io wrote:

>

>> Helo everybody

>> 

>> I am quite new to NVDA and I speak English and do not understand

>> Chinese writing at all. For some reason my NVDA has only Chinese

>> writing. Does anyone have a solution?

>> 

>> Thanks

>> Darrel

>

> --

> I want to build a machine that will be proud of me.

>

>  - Danny Hillis, creator of The Connection Machine

>

>                                                    Please reply to the list;

>                                                          please *don't* CC

> me.

>

>

>

>

>

 

 

 

 


Re: NVDA log from previous execution

 

Hi,

Usually restarting NVDA should sort this out. If this happens again, please do send the log fragment to the forum so we can find out what went wrong (although I have an idea as to what, but just want to make sure).

Cheers,

Joseph

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dan Beaver
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 8:32 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA log from previous execution

 

Ok, I figured out how to find the logs.

 

It looks like it is happening because of a UIA error. 

 

Should I turn off anything to stop this?  Not sure how to approach this one.

 

Dan Beaver

 

On 3/30/2018 9:34 AM, Dan Beaver wrote:

Hi,

 

I am having a problem and thought I'd see if I could get a log of it.  The problem is that often if I am in Thunderbird or another app and I press the windows key NVDA seems to crash.  I have to restart it.

 

I can see how to get to the  current execution log but not the log from the execution when the crash happened.  How do I find this?

 

thanks.

 

Dan Beaver

 


Re: NVDA log from previous execution

Dan Beaver
 

Ok, I figured out how to find the logs.


It looks like it is happening because of a UIA error. 


Should I turn off anything to stop this?  Not sure how to approach this one.


Dan Beaver


On 3/30/2018 9:34 AM, Dan Beaver wrote:

Hi,


I am having a problem and thought I'd see if I could get a log of it.  The problem is that often if I am in Thunderbird or another app and I press the windows key NVDA seems to crash.  I have to restart it.


I can see how to get to the  current execution log but not the log from the execution when the crash happened.  How do I find this?


thanks.


Dan Beaver



Re: [SUSPECT URL!]Re: [nvda] NVDA Chinese writing

Ervin, Glenn
 

Well, you could bring up Narrator while it is speaking in the other language, and although you will hear both, you can focus on Narrator enough to follow it to change NVDA’s settings.

HTH.

Glenn

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Darrel Hughes via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 8:30 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [SUSPECT URL!]Re: [nvda] NVDA Chinese writing

 

Only in the NVDA menus

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene New Zealand
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 2:22 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Chinese writing

 

Hi

 

Where abouts is the writing? is it in the nvda menus? so all the menus are in another language? or do you mean when you are reading say a email and now and again you hear it speaking like in another language??

 

Gene nz

 

 

On 3/30/2018 1:15 PM, Darrel Hughes via Groups.Io wrote:

Helo everybody

I am quite new to NVDA and I speak English and do not understand Chinese writing at all. For some reason my NVDA has only Chinese writing. Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks
Darrel

 

--

Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.


Re: NVDA Chinese writing

 

Hi everyone,

If menus and dialogs on Windows are in English, then it could be an NVDA problem unless the synthesizer announces things in other languages. The cause, as pointed out by Tyler, is NVDA’s UI language. Please follow Tyler’s instructions to return to English (or rather, force English). The real solution is:

  1. Press Control+NVDA+G to open general settings.
  2. Press End key.
  3. Press Enter twice.

 

Cheers,

Joseph

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 7:18 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Chinese writing

 

I'm not sure how to solve it.  But the reason I brought up the issue is to raise the question of whether there is an underlying problem.  I don't know how to determine the language the computer is set to.  Since the NVDA default is to use the default language of the computer, that may mean that the computer is set to use the wrong language.  others will, I expect, be able to discuss that     question further.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 8:52 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Chinese writing

 

Gene I only want to change it back to English and if you know how that would be helpful .  If you don't it's quite alright to say you don't know how.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 8:35 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Chinese writing

 

When reporting problems, making statements of fact based on guesses isn't a good idea.  You could explain why you say you think it's Chinese but unless you know that no other supported languages use alphabets that look anything like the Chinese alphabet, at least to those who don't know any of these alphabets, that is a statement based on a guess. 

 

I'm not going into this because it matters in this specific case, the problem would be solved in the same way, whatever the language.  But when presenting any problem, don't present a guess as a statement of fact.  It may cause those trying to solve the problem to think it is something different than it is.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 8:16 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Chinese writing

 

My wife told me that it looks like Chinese

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Antony
Stone
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 6:28 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Chinese writing

I don't know whether this is a silly question or not, but how do you know it
is Chinese?

Antony.

On Friday 30 March 2018 at 02:15:52, Darrel Hughes via Groups.Io wrote:

> Helo everybody
>
> I am quite new to NVDA and I speak English and do not understand
> Chinese writing at all. For some reason my NVDA has only Chinese
> writing. Does anyone have a solution?
>
> Thanks
> Darrel

--
I want to build a machine that will be proud of me.

 - Danny Hillis, creator of The Connection Machine

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC
me.




Re: NVDA Chinese writing

Gene
 

I'm not sure how to solve it.  But the reason I brought up the issue is to raise the question of whether there is an underlying problem.  I don't know how to determine the language the computer is set to.  Since the NVDA default is to use the default language of the computer, that may mean that the computer is set to use the wrong language.  others will, I expect, be able to discuss that     question further.
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 8:52 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Chinese writing

Gene I only want to change it back to English and if you know how that would be helpful .  If you don't it's quite alright to say you don't know how.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 8:35 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Chinese writing

 

When reporting problems, making statements of fact based on guesses isn't a good idea.  You could explain why you say you think it's Chinese but unless you know that no other supported languages use alphabets that look anything like the Chinese alphabet, at least to those who don't know any of these alphabets, that is a statement based on a guess. 

 

I'm not going into this because it matters in this specific case, the problem would be solved in the same way, whatever the language.  But when presenting any problem, don't present a guess as a statement of fact.  It may cause those trying to solve the problem to think it is something different than it is.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 8:16 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Chinese writing

 

My wife told me that it looks like Chinese

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Antony
Stone
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 6:28 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Chinese writing

I don't know whether this is a silly question or not, but how do you know it
is Chinese?

Antony.

On Friday 30 March 2018 at 02:15:52, Darrel Hughes via Groups.Io wrote:

> Helo everybody
>
> I am quite new to NVDA and I speak English and do not understand
> Chinese writing at all. For some reason my NVDA has only Chinese
> writing. Does anyone have a solution?
>
> Thanks
> Darrel

--
I want to build a machine that will be proud of me.

 - Danny Hillis, creator of The Connection Machine

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC
me.





Re: NVDA Chinese writing

Tyler Spivey
 

Gene is just complicating the situation needlessly.
Please try this:

1. Press NVDA+ctrl+g. This means hold down the NVDA key (insert),
control and press g.
2. When that dialog comes up, press e.
3. Press enter twice.

If that doesn't work, and you don't mind deleting your NVDA
configuration and starting again, do this:
1. Press windows+r for the run dialog.
2. Type %appdata% and press enter. This is percent, appdata, percent.
3. Find NVDA in that folder, open that, then in there find nvda.ini.
Delete it.
It's best to do all this with NVDA not running, since save configuration
on exit will overwrite it.

On 3/30/2018 6:52 AM, Darrel Hughes via Groups.Io wrote:
Gene I only want to change it back to English and if you know how that
would be helpful .  If you don't it's quite alright to say you don't
know how.

 

*From:*nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] *On Behalf Of *Gene
*Sent:* Friday, March 30, 2018 8:35 AM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] NVDA Chinese writing

 

When reporting problems, making statements of fact based on guesses
isn't a good idea.  You could explain why you say you think it's Chinese
but unless you know that no other supported languages use alphabets that
look anything like the Chinese alphabet, at least to those who don't
know any of these alphabets, that is a statement based on a guess. 

 

I'm not going into this because it matters in this specific case, the
problem would be solved in the same way, whatever the language.  But
when presenting any problem, don't present a guess as a statement of
fact.  It may cause those trying to solve the problem to think it is
something different than it is.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

*From:*Darrel Hughes via Groups.Io <mailto:darrel71=aol.com@groups.io>

*Sent:*Friday, March 30, 2018 8:16 AM

*To:*nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>

*Subject:*Re: [nvda] NVDA Chinese writing

 

My wife told me that it looks like Chinese

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
[mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Antony
Stone
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 6:28 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Chinese writing

I don't know whether this is a silly question or not, but how do you know it
is Chinese?

Antony.

On Friday 30 March 2018 at 02:15:52, Darrel Hughes via Groups.Io wrote:

Helo everybody

I am quite new to NVDA and I speak English and do not understand
Chinese writing at all. For some reason my NVDA has only Chinese
writing. Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks
Darrel
--
I want to build a machine that will be proud of me.

 - Danny Hillis, creator of The Connection Machine

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC
me.





Re: nvda and edge

Sylvie Duchateau
 

Hello Gary,
I just reproduced the steps you described.
I looked for the beginning of the newsletter in pressing the H key.
Then NVDA started reading.
When it came to "heading 3 New Features"
NVDA started to announce there was a list with 7 items.
Nested lists were also read correctly.
So I don't understand what can go wrong with your experience.
Pressing l to reach this list let NVDA read the list, but nothing is repeated.
So I am sorry I cannot help more.
Did you try to restart Edge and / or NVDA?
Have a nice week-end
Sylvie

Le 30/03/2018 à 15:02, Gary Metzler a écrit :

Hi Sylvie,

 

Thank you for getting back to me.  Here is what I did.  I went to the link in the e mail and opened the web page.  I then used the h command to go to the in process heading.  I then used the say all command to read the newsletter.  When it got to the bulleted list is where it started repeating.  I hope this is clear.  Thanks again for your response.  

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sylvie Duchateau
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 3:09 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda and edge

 

Hello Garry,

I just tried reading the in process with NVDA and Edge and I encountered no problem.

Could you describe what you are doing and when the problem occurs?

Did you try reading other web sites?

Best

Sylvie

Le 29/03/2018 à 18:56, Gary Metzler a écrit :

Hi All,

 

I am trying edge with the latest January 1 update and windows 10.  When I was reading the in process newsletter edge would repeat what was just read.  Is this normal or do I need to change a setting?  Thanks for any help.

 

Regards, Gary kn4ox

Send to: gmtravel@...

 

 



Re: NVDA Chinese writing

Darrel Hughes
 

Gene I only want to change it back to English and if you know how that would be helpful .  If you don't it's quite alright to say you don't know how.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 8:35 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Chinese writing

 

When reporting problems, making statements of fact based on guesses isn't a good idea.  You could explain why you say you think it's Chinese but unless you know that no other supported languages use alphabets that look anything like the Chinese alphabet, at least to those who don't know any of these alphabets, that is a statement based on a guess. 

 

I'm not going into this because it matters in this specific case, the problem would be solved in the same way, whatever the language.  But when presenting any problem, don't present a guess as a statement of fact.  It may cause those trying to solve the problem to think it is something different than it is.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 8:16 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Chinese writing

 

My wife told me that it looks like Chinese

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Antony
Stone
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 6:28 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Chinese writing

I don't know whether this is a silly question or not, but how do you know it
is Chinese?

Antony.

On Friday 30 March 2018 at 02:15:52, Darrel Hughes via Groups.Io wrote:

> Helo everybody
>
> I am quite new to NVDA and I speak English and do not understand
> Chinese writing at all. For some reason my NVDA has only Chinese
> writing. Does anyone have a solution?
>
> Thanks
> Darrel

--
I want to build a machine that will be proud of me.

 - Danny Hillis, creator of The Connection Machine

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC
me.





Re: Excerpt from Espeak NG list

Reece H. Dunn
 

On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 05:40 am, Gene wrote:
Thanks for your explanation.  But it doesn't address the complaint.
 
The complaint said that there is an additional g sound where two words such as ing case are spoken.  As to the n sounding different in a word like sing, I agree.
The issue referenced in this discussion talked about there being too much emphasis on the "n", "as if there is an extra "g" at the end of it before the next word begins. The only change made in that regard is the one I talked about -- espeak-ng is not/was not inserting an extra g sound in that case. Compare "singer" (no "g") and "linger" (with a "g") for an example of eSpeak and eSpeak NG pronouncing the "g" sound.

With the -ing ending, some accents (e.g. London/cockney) say it as "in" (e.g. somethin'), other accents. In https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_FtnOTLkSs&t=137, the female speaker uses the velarised n without a g, and the male (cokney) speaker uses a regular n sound. When the -ing not the final part of the word such as with an -er ending like in stronger and linger, some accents pronounce the g while others do not. In https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvLfIMepxJ8 the g is pronounced in the word linger. For the word "singer", in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJaEpvEcrsA, the first American speaker, and both British and Scottish speakers pronounces the "g", while the second American speaker and the Irish speakers do not.

I don't have a way to try the latest NVDA to hear the speech so I don't know if this problem has been completely eliminated.  I understand there is a SAPI 5 version.  Does that version contain the latest code?
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 3:51 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Excerpt from Espeak NG list
 
On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 01:29 am, Gene wrote:
This is not done in English.  I've never heard anything even remotely like what is being stated as being in spoken, rather than written English. 
 
If the claim is being made as reported in the below message, it is not partly or marginally incorrect, it is completely incorrect.  In two words like can get, the n is held and the g is smoothly spoken at the instant the n sound is ended.  There is no additional g nor even a hint of one.  And that's the way things are generally. 
It is not an additional "g", it is the "n" sound before a "k" or "g" in words like "sing", "king", and "sink". Within words, this process happens naturally. Across words, that process may happen (especially when the words are spoken quickly, or with little pause between them).

Specifically, the "k" and "g" sounds are made by moving the back of your tongue to the back of your mouth (the velum). An "n" sound is made by touching the front of your tongue to the front of your mouth, but before a "k" or "g" sound (especially when done quickly), your tongue moves to the back of your mouth in preparation of making the "k" or "g" sound, so that "n" has a different sound to things like "no", or "none".

This is a process called velarization.

 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 2:57 AM
Subject: [nvda] Excerpt from Espeak NG list
 
Now I'm not getting at anyone here, but although the message below is
related to a very new incarnation of the synth, it kind of makes the point
made in a previous thread on here about the changes being made to Espeak
which do not sit well with users.
 Here is the post...
 I have no axe to grind here, except that it has been my experience too that
some pronunciations are dismissed as OK when they are not.

[espeak-ng:master] New Issue Created by Trix-Maiden:
#443 Velarisation in Espeak NG is too pronounced
I've brought this up before as well, but I want to do so again here, in less
abrasive language.
The current way Espeak ng processes velarisation puts too much emphasis on
it. Any word ending with an "N" that precedes one starting with a hard "g"
or "c" sounds as if there is an extra "g" at the end of it before the next
word begins. "Ing case", "wung game" "cang get", etc.
The last time I brought up this issue, I was told this is how these words
sound when spoken by humans, but I would disagree. Not to say this doesn't
happen, but it isn't lingered over the way it is in the current release of
Espeak ng. In previous versions, the transitions between these words sounded
natural enough to my ears, and this version over-emphasises the velarisation
to the point of it being unnatural.
(Note: I do not type "one" like that, but I had to alter spellings to
simulate the pronunciation issue as clearly as possible to another blind
person.)


Re: loading nvda not there

Jonathan COHN
 

This is not a function of exactly but of the Windows explorer application. If you have a NVDA icon on your desktop and that icon has a shortcut key associated with it than the alt-control-N will work.

So, find the NVDA on the desktop, and then type control-enter to open its properties. Tab through the dialog until you hear shortcut and then type N followed by enter. At this point the keystroke should be working again. You can do equivalent process for other items on your desktop like Word or Mail, if you like.


Re: NVDA Chinese writing

Gene
 

When reporting problems, making statements of fact based on guesses isn't a good idea.  You could explain why you say you think it's Chinese but unless you know that no other supported languages use alphabets that look anything like the Chinese alphabet, at least to those who don't know any of these alphabets, that is a statement based on a guess. 
 
I'm not going into this because it matters in this specific case, the problem would be solved in the same way, whatever the language.  But when presenting any problem, don't present a guess as a statement of fact.  It may cause those trying to solve the problem to think it is something different than it is.
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 8:16 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Chinese writing

My wife told me that it looks like Chinese

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Antony
Stone
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 6:28 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Chinese writing

I don't know whether this is a silly question or not, but how do you know it
is Chinese?

Antony.

On Friday 30 March 2018 at 02:15:52, Darrel Hughes via Groups.Io wrote:

> Helo everybody
>
> I am quite new to NVDA and I speak English and do not understand
> Chinese writing at all. For some reason my NVDA has only Chinese
> writing. Does anyone have a solution?
>
> Thanks
> Darrel

--
I want to build a machine that will be proud of me.

 - Danny Hillis, creator of The Connection Machine

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC
me.






NVDA log from previous execution

Dan Beaver
 

Hi,


I am having a problem and thought I'd see if I could get a log of it.  The problem is that often if I am in Thunderbird or another app and I press the windows key NVDA seems to crash.  I have to restart it.


I can see how to get to the  current execution log but not the log from the execution when the crash happened.  How do I find this?


thanks.


Dan Beaver


Re: nvda and edge

Jonathan COHN
 

What keys were you using to read the bulleted list? Read all, extended arrow or numeric keypad arrows. (or perhaps (i) for going to the next list item.

 

 

From: <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Gary Metzler <gmtravel@...>
Reply-To: "nvda@nvda.groups.io" <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Date: Friday, March 30, 2018 at 9:05 AM
To: "nvda@nvda.groups.io" <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda and edge

 

Hi Sylvie,

 

Thank you for getting back to me.  Here is what I did.  I went to the link in the e mail and opened the web page.  I then used the h command to go to the in process heading.  I then used the say all command to read the newsletter.  When it got to the bulleted list is where it started repeating.  I hope this is clear.  Thanks again for your response.  

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sylvie Duchateau
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 3:09 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda and edge

 

Hello Garry,

I just tried reading the in process with NVDA and Edge and I encountered no problem.

Could you describe what you are doing and when the problem occurs?

Did you try reading other web sites?

Best

Sylvie

Le 29/03/2018 à 18:56, Gary Metzler a écrit :

Hi All,

 

I am trying edge with the latest January 1 update and windows 10.  When I was reading the in process newsletter edge would repeat what was just read.  Is this normal or do I need to change a setting?  Thanks for any help.

 

Regards, Gary kn4ox

Send to: gmtravel@...

 

 


Re: NVDA Chinese writing

Darrel Hughes
 

Only in the NVDA menus

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene New Zealand
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 2:22 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Chinese writing

 

Hi

 

Where abouts is the writing? is it in the nvda menus? so all the menus are in another language? or do you mean when you are reading say a email and now and again you hear it speaking like in another language??

 

Gene nz

 

 

On 3/30/2018 1:15 PM, Darrel Hughes via Groups.Io wrote:

Helo everybody

I am quite new to NVDA and I speak English and do not understand Chinese writing at all. For some reason my NVDA has only Chinese writing. Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks
Darrel

 

--

Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.


Re: NVDA Chinese writing

Darrel Hughes
 

NVDA reads all English in English and reads all Chinese in Chinese. The Chinese writing appears only in the NVDA which prevents me from understanding the words for me to change the settings

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 2:26 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Chinese writing

I'm not really sure what you mean here.
Aware you saying that its set to chinese, and trying to read English as if it were Chinese?
The language setting must have been tweaked for this. Look in the preferences and see what its actually set to. Normally its system default, which is usually what it says it is, the language windows uses.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Darrel Hughes via Groups.Io" <darrel71=aol.com@groups.io>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 1:15 AM
Subject: [nvda] NVDA Chinese writing


Helo everybody

I am quite new to NVDA and I speak English and do not understand Chinese
writing at all. For some reason my NVDA has only Chinese writing. Does
anyone have a solution?

Thanks
Darrel


Re: NVDA Chinese writing

Jonathan COHN
 

We need a little more information before this can be answered.

 

  1. Are you hearing Chinese or do you see Chinese like characters in a window you associate with NVDA?
  2. What OS Version are you running?
  3. If you use JAWS or Narrator do you experience Chinese there also?
  4. Do you see these characters in all applications or in just specific ones. NVDA has a very small set of Windows it directly provides?
  5. Do you have any idea what the Language settings are on your computer?

.

 

From: <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of "Darrel Hughes via Groups.Io" <darrel71@...>
Reply-To: "nvda@nvda.groups.io" <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Date: Friday, March 30, 2018 at 2:02 AM
To: "nvda@nvda.groups.io" <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: [nvda] NVDA Chinese writing

 

Helo everybody

I am quite new to NVDA and I speak English and do not understand Chinese writing at all. For some reason my NVDA has only Chinese writing. Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks
Darrel