Date   

NVDA and Firefox automatic page refreshing

Pascal Lambert
 

Hi All,
Please, is there a way to preventing pages from refreshing automatically in Firefox?
Many thanks
Season's blessings to all.
Pascal

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 1:11 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] moving configuration

Well assuming the other computer is the same, ie it has any synths and other bits and pieces the same you should do this.
Some may say this is over the top, but sometimes portable copies can be a bit annoying.
1 make a portable copy on a ram drive.
2 download the exact version you have from the web site.
Firstly, install it clean from the web site. Don't worry about the config being wrong.
Make sure the important bits like menus and all that stuff work in nvda.

Now insert your ram drive with your configured version on it. Go to it, position yourself on the exe file, then terminate the running copy and run the portable. When you get in navigate to the install option as you would, and install over the top of the one you just installed, take the option to keep the shrotcut and copy the existing config.
When its done and restarted and you check it works. Go to the general menu and use the save the current config so you get the log in parameters the same as the normal ones.
Hopefully that should then work assuming all the specs are the same. You will of cours need to configure windows how you like it as well.


I do it that way as sometimes, possible copies on windows 10 misbehave if they are the first copy you use.
I have no idea why this happens, so don't ask!

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Don H" <lmddh50@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 4:13 PM
Subject: [nvda] moving configuration


OK I have NVDA all set up on my main computer just right for me. I want
the same configuration on my secondary computer. Is there a way to move
the saved configuration to another computer?
Thanks




Re: Trying to install NVDA from a portable copy on new Windows 10 computer but can't focus on the NVDA menu

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

So you got it to work then. Half the issues with portable copies is they do not have the low level access of an installed copy. I generally install a clean copy first from a download and then use the portable version to copy the config over when I'm happy.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sharni-Lee Ward" <sharni-lee.ward@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 4:13 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Trying to install NVDA from a portable copy on new Windows 10 computer but can't focus on the NVDA menu


I'm writing this from the new computer. Things seem to have worked out fine. Although end and home aren't working right now. Maybe they're in a different position on this laptop. Anyways, I'm using the computer and will hopefully get all my stuff in order soon. :)

On 20/12/2017 1:55 AM, Chris wrote:
Maybe the open window has focus, try closing the window and see if that helps any

Or try windows key+D to go to the desktop and see if that is better
Or failing that go to the notification tray windows key+B and see if you can open the nvda menu with the tray icon

Or if that dowsnt work restart nvda and/or the computer

From: Sharni-Lee Ward<mailto:sharni-lee.ward@...>
Sent: 19 December 2017 14:36
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [nvda] Trying to install NVDA from a portable copy on new Windows 10 computer but can't focus on the NVDA menu


My portable copy has all my settings and I have caps lock set as the modifier on it. I also tried using the modifier +q to exit, and I know that menu popped up but focus didn't switch to it automatically. My mother and sister could see it but I couldn't.

On 20/12/2017 12:10 AM, Chris wrote:
Is the menu open do you know?
The default nvda modifier is the insert key you can change it to the caps lock keybut that is not the default

So try the insert+N and see what happens then



From: Sharni-Lee Ward<mailto:sharni-lee.ward@...>
Sent: 19 December 2017 11:26
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [nvda] Trying to install NVDA from a portable copy on new Windows 10 computer but can't focus on the NVDA menu


Right, so my mother was able to open the portable copy of NVDA, and I was in the window where the NVDA Portable folder was. Then I pressed caps-lock+n to open the NVDA menu and it said NVDA menu, but when I scrolled with the arrow keys it was only reading the items in the NVDA Portable folder, and so I couldn't select anything from the NVDA menu. I tried alt+tab but that just landed me in the same window. I tried pressing NVDA+n again, but that didn't work. I can't install from the portable copy if I can't access the NVDA menu.

On 19/12/2017 10:20 PM, Chris wrote:
Hello

I saw your other post, but wasn’t sure what you are trying to achieve?

Are you saying you want to run a portable copy of nvda or you cant run a portable copy?

Or are you wanting to install from a portable copy?
Or cant install it to your computer?

If you can be a bit ore specific that will help, thanks


From: Sharni-Lee Ward<mailto:sharni-lee.ward@...>
Sent: 19 December 2017 10:33
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: [nvda] Trying to install NVDA from a portable copy on new Windows 10 computer but can't focus on the NVDA menu

Hi,


I got a Windows 10 laptop as an early Christmas present and earlier, I
tried to install NVDA on it from the portable copy I have, but when I
opened the NVDA Menu, focus didn't switch to it. I tried alt+tab in case
that would help, but I always landed on the window with the folder
containing the portable copy. I really wanna start working this computer
out and setting it up to my liking, but I can't do that if I can't even
focus on the window I want to focus on. I've asked on the blind tech
list but nobody's talking yet and I'm scared my post might end up being
ignored because I sent it just as everyone was going to bed.


Re: moving configuration

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

Well assuming the other computer is the same, ie it has any synths and other bits and pieces the same you should do this.
Some may say this is over the top, but sometimes portable copies can be a bit annoying.
1 make a portable copy on a ram drive.
2 download the exact version you have from the web site.
Firstly, install it clean from the web site. Don't worry about the config being wrong.
Make sure the important bits like menus and all that stuff work in nvda.

Now insert your ram drive with your configured version on it. Go to it, position yourself on the exe file, then terminate the running copy and run the portable. When you get in navigate to the install option as you would, and install over the top of the one you just installed, take the option to keep the shrotcut and copy the existing config.
When its done and restarted and you check it works. Go to the general menu and use the save the current config so you get the log in parameters the same as the normal ones.
Hopefully that should then work assuming all the specs are the same. You will of cours need to configure windows how you like it as well.


I do it that way as sometimes, possible copies on windows 10 misbehave if they are the first copy you use.
I have no idea why this happens, so don't ask!

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don H" <lmddh50@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 4:13 PM
Subject: [nvda] moving configuration


OK I have NVDA all set up on my main computer just right for me. I want the same configuration on my secondary computer. Is there a way to move the saved configuration to another computer?
Thanks



Re: competition

Lino Morales
 

Yes. All you have to do is go into the prefferences menu under tools and add-ons. Tab to get add-ons and your default browser should open to the page.


On 12/18/2017 8:45 PM, Karim Lakhani wrote:
 I'm not sure what language you are writing?
What screen reader are  you using voice over?
The reason I didn't want to downloads is because I don't know how?
When NVDA updates I get the notification and install it without worry about finding scripts, add no's or what ever window eye's use to call it.
Does that make sense to you?
 
 
 
$$$$
SKYPE: goldenace4
$$$$
Your reputation is in the hands of others. That's what a
reputation is. You can't control that. The only thing you
can control is your character.
- Wayne Walter Dyer (1940-)
 
 
 


From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lino Morales
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 6:26 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] competition

Thir is on ly one NVDA. You want add-ons download them. What does VO have to do with it? Meanwhile as Kereme hits the nog in Canada again...


On 12/18/2017 8:22 PM, Karim Lakhani wrote:
Could we as NVDA users have the choice which version works the best for the individual?
That way we can choose which version to down load?
personally the voice over APP. with the Phone's out of the box it's great.
People can jail break and all, so as the people who code NVDA, would have to be the persons who decides what is important.
 
$$$$
SKYPE: goldenace4
$$$$
Your reputation is in the hands of others. That's what a
reputation is. You can't control that. The only thing you
can control is your character.
- Wayne Walter Dyer (1940-)
 
 
 


From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sam Taylor
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 4:42 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] competition

Karim,

They are not included because Add-ons, as the name suggests, are optional. Integrating them into the installer would mean that the installer filesize would be inflated, resulting in a much bigger download for everyone.


On 19/12/2017 9:30 am, Karim Lakhani wrote:
Hi,
Can someone explain why add are not included in the main install of the APP.
If the add on's are useable by all the community, why not add them in the main install?
I hope this doesn't come down to the amount of data you have, I know it will be cheaper then 1800.00
 
Some of us don't have the knowledge to accomplish these functions.
I think it's like Elisa, she only gets smarter the more you use it.
 
 
$$$$
SKYPE: goldenace4
$$$$
Your reputation is in the hands of others. That's what a
reputation is. You can't control that. The only thing you
can control is your character.
- Wayne Walter Dyer (1940-)
 
 
 


From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike and Jenna
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 10:39 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] competition

I have to agree with this. My wife asked to question the other day why use NVDA if I have to install addons to do the stuff I want to do then also have to keep them updated. I see this a lot with the disability place I work for part time. I have several elders after showing them nvda and jaws have chosen jaws do to the fact they don’t have to deal with addons.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2017 8:15 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] competition

A lot of NVDA users won't ever know enough to know that there are add ons nor how to install them.  You are free to remove any add ons you don't want and, for experienced users who understand the implications, a no add ons NVDA can be offered if it really matters, which I don't think it does.  I'm not talking about including add on after add on in NVDA.  I'm saying that some add ons should be included because you aren't serving a lot of blind people well by not doing so, meaning the large number, who will never use add ons they have to download and install.  Instead of spending time and resources reinventing the wheel just to make it a part of core NVDA code, just include the add on. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2017 6:19 PM

Subject: Re: [nvda] competition

What I've liked and am liking of the AddOns on NVDA is the ability to install those that suits are needs, thus NVDA should be pure as always, but with each of us adding the necessary AddOns for our daily use.

El 17/12/2017 a las 06:16 p.m., Rui Fontes escribió:

Sorry, Gene, but if some of the addons will be shipped with NVDA and set to run, they should stop being addons and start being part of NVDA core...

Addon, by definition, is a piece of software to execute a specific function that does not make part of the NVDA core...

Regards,

Rui Fontes

Às 00:07 de 18/12/2017, Gene escreveu:

NVDA doesn't have to adopt every popular feature of other screen-readers to compete.  I don't have much opinion about whether this feature is implemented in NVDA directly or by an add on.  It is a peripheral feature and not an actual screen-reader feature.  It is a proper question whether NVDA development time and resources should be put into this project.  And an add on wouldn't divert NVDA time and resources.  However, when it comes to add ons, NVDA should do what Window-eyes used to do, not because Window-eyes does it, but because it serves users well, is logical and there is no reason of any substance not to do it.  

Window-eyes used to accomplish a number of functions by having a number of what it pretentiously called apps, they were really scripts, but they were available to users as add ons and were shipped with Window-eyes and were set to run at the time of installation.  Many users of whatever screen-reader they use will never learn enough to know anything about add ons.  there are a number of add ons that should be incorporated into NVDA as addons that are downloaded and are running when NVDA is run. 

If this were done, the major objection against making a feature an add on would be done away with.  the objection is that a lot of people will never know about add ons and never use whatever is being discussed.  If this objection were done away with by having many add ons be included in NVDA as running add ons at the time of download and installation or portable use, the whole question and argument about whether something should be an add on could be done away with. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Don H

Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2017 4:16 PM

Subject: [nvda] competition

When it comes to the new screen shade function in Jaws 2018 and if NVDA
should also have the same function the main question is whether or not
NVDA is in competition with other screen readers in order to get more
users or is NVDA just a free screen reader for those who can't afford to
pay for a screen reader.




-- 
Gera
Enviado desde Thunderbird



Re: competition

erik burggraaf <erik@...>
 

Well, It wouldn't be totally unreasonable for the developers to pick maybe three or five of the best most useful add-ons, bundle them with NVDA, and offer them during instalation.  Browsers do that.  Other screen readers would be worthless if they didn't install their scripts.  Their development is a bit different from NVDA's

It's not about space really, although keeping nvda small isn't a bad thing.
Philosophically speaking, we expect our OS, windows, our software, and our screenreader NVDA, to all comply with standards to the point where add-ons aren't needed.  Thus, bundling add-ons, while not bad, wouldn't comply with the core philosophy.  Then again, making the screen reader extensible and allowing add ons would be strictly against the letter of new paradigm and NVDA philosophy.

Then there are distribution and licencing issues. because of add-ons are developed by third parties mostly.  These issues may include, licencing, updates, quality control, and more.

Then there is a performance and stability concern.  I don't use many add-ons, but theoretically, the more add-ons installed, the less stable the NVDA, and the more margin for error.  If you have an issue where NVDA is crashing, it's nice to know there are no add-ons in the equasion, or at least, to know what add-ons are in use.  If NVDA installs add-ons it thinks you want, you may be unaware that those are active when you go to troubleshoot NVDA.

Add-ons make a good testing ground for new ideas.  Ocasionally, an add-on developed for something crytical such as a braille display driver, will actually get intergrated into NVDA core.  So, you get the benefit of the add-on, along with the performance and stability of intergration, and the convenience of not having to research and install key functionality.

Bundling add-ons has some serious advantages and disadvantages.  It would be nice to have as many add-ons as possible swept up together into a store or other convenient distribution channel, but I'm pretty happy with the current system of carefully testing and intergrating add-ons that provide key functionality or features

Best,

Erik

On December 18, 2017 6:32:12 PM "Karim Lakhani" <karim.lakhani@...> wrote:

Hi,
Can someone explain why add are not included in the main install of the APP.
If the add on's are useable by all the community, why not add them in the main install?
I hope this doesn't come down to the amount of data you have, I know it will be cheaper then 1800.00
 
Some of us don't have the knowledge to accomplish these functions.
I think it's like Elisa, she only gets smarter the more you use it.
 
 
EMAIL:karim.lakhani@...
$$$$
SKYPE: goldenace4
$$$$
Your reputation is in the hands of others. That's what a
reputation is. You can't control that. The only thing you
can control is your character.
- Wayne Walter Dyer (1940-)
 
 
 


From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike and Jenna
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 10:39 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] competition

I have to agree with this. My wife asked to question the other day why use NVDA if I have to install addons to do the stuff I want to do then also have to keep them updated. I see this a lot with the disability place I work for part time. I have several elders after showing them nvda and jaws have chosen jaws do to the fact they dont have to deal with addons.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2017 8:15 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] competition

 

A lot of NVDA users won't ever know enough to know that there are add ons nor how to install them.  You are free to remove any add ons you don't want and, for experienced users who understand the implications, a no add ons NVDA can be offered if it really matters, which I don't think it does.  I'm not talking about including add on after add on in NVDA.  I'm saying that some add ons should be included because you aren't serving a lot of blind people well by not doing so, meaning the large number, who will never use add ons they have to download and install.  Instead of spending time and resources reinventing the wheel just to make it a part of core NVDA code, just include the add on. 

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2017 6:19 PM

Subject: Re: [nvda] competition

 

What I've liked and am liking of the AddOns on NVDA is the ability to install those that suits are needs, thus NVDA should be pure as always, but with each of us adding the necessary AddOns for our daily use.

 

El 17/12/2017 a las 06:16 p.m., Rui Fontes escribió:

Sorry, Gene, but if some of the addons will be shipped with NVDA and set to run, they should stop being addons and start being part of NVDA core...

 

Addon, by definition, is a piece of software to execute a specific function that does not make part of the NVDA core...

 

Regards,

 

Rui Fontes

 

 

Às 00:07 de 18/12/2017, Gene escreveu:

NVDA doesn't have to adopt every popular feature of other screen-readers to compete.  I don't have much opinion about whether this feature is implemented in NVDA directly or by an add on.  It is a peripheral feature and not an actual screen-reader feature.  It is a proper question whether NVDA development time and resources should be put into this project.  And an add on wouldn't divert NVDA time and resources.  However, when it comes to add ons, NVDA should do what Window-eyes used to do, not because Window-eyes does it, but because it serves users well, is logical and there is no reason of any substance not to do it.  

 

Window-eyes used to accomplish a number of functions by having a number of what it pretentiously called apps, they were really scripts, but they were available to users as add ons and were shipped with Window-eyes and were set to run at the time of installation.  Many users of whatever screen-reader they use will never learn enough to know anything about add ons.  there are a number of add ons that should be incorporated into NVDA as addons that are downloaded and are running when NVDA is run. 

 

If this were done, the major objection against making a feature an add on would be done away with.  the objection is that a lot of people will never know about add ons and never use whatever is being discussed.  If this objection were done away with by having many add ons be included in NVDA as running add ons at the time of download and installation or portable use, the whole question and argument about whether something should be an add on could be done away with. 

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Don H

Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2017 4:16 PM

Subject: [nvda] competition

 

When it comes to the new screen shade function in Jaws 2018 and if NVDA
should also have the same function the main question is whether or not
NVDA is in competition with other screen readers in order to get more
users or is NVDA just a free screen reader for those who can't afford to
pay for a screen reader.


 



-- 
Gera
Enviado desde Thunderbird


moving configuration

Don H
 

OK I have NVDA all set up on my main computer just right for me. I want the same configuration on my secondary computer. Is there a way to move the saved configuration to another computer?
Thanks


Re: Trying to install NVDA from a portable copy on new Windows 10 computer but can't focus on the NVDA menu

Sharni-Lee Ward
 

I'm writing this from the new computer. Things seem to have worked out fine. Although end and home aren't working right now. Maybe they're in a different position on this laptop. Anyways, I'm using the computer and will hopefully get all my stuff in order soon. :)


On 20/12/2017 1:55 AM, Chris wrote:

Maybe the open window has focus, try closing the window and see if that helps any

 

Or try windows key+D to go to the desktop and see if that is better

Or failing that go to the notification tray windows key+B and see if you can open the nvda menu with the tray icon

 

Or if that dowsnt work restart nvda and/or the computer

 

From: Sharni-Lee Ward
Sent: 19 December 2017 14:36
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Trying to install NVDA from a portable copy on new Windows 10 computer but can't focus on the NVDA menu

 

My portable copy has all my settings and I have caps lock set as the modifier on it. I also tried using the modifier +q to exit, and I know that menu popped up but focus didn't switch to it automatically. My mother and sister could see it but I couldn't.

 

On 20/12/2017 12:10 AM, Chris wrote:

Is the menu open do you know?

The default nvda modifier is the insert key you can change it to the caps lock keybut that is not the default

 

So try the insert+N and see what happens then

 

 

 

From: Sharni-Lee Ward
Sent: 19 December 2017 11:26
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Trying to install NVDA from a portable copy on new Windows 10 computer but can't focus on the NVDA menu

 

Right, so my mother was able to open the portable copy of NVDA, and I was in the window where the NVDA Portable folder was. Then I pressed caps-lock+n to open the NVDA menu and it said NVDA menu, but when I scrolled with the arrow keys it was only reading the items in the NVDA Portable folder, and so I couldn't select anything from the NVDA menu. I tried alt+tab but that just landed me in the same window. I tried pressing NVDA+n again, but that didn't work. I can't install from the portable copy if I can't access the NVDA menu.

 

On 19/12/2017 10:20 PM, Chris wrote:

Hello

 

I saw your other post, but wasn’t sure what you are trying to achieve?

 

Are you saying you want to run a portable copy of nvda or you cant run a portable copy?

 

Or are you wanting to install from a portable copy?

Or cant install it to your computer?

 

If you can be a bit ore specific that will help, thanks

 

 

From: Sharni-Lee Ward
Sent: 19 December 2017 10:33
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Trying to install NVDA from a portable copy on new Windows 10 computer but can't focus on the NVDA menu

 

Hi,

 

 

I got a Windows 10 laptop as an early Christmas present and earlier, I

tried to install NVDA on it from the portable copy I have, but when I

opened the NVDA Menu, focus didn't switch to it. I tried alt+tab in case

that would help, but I always landed on the window with the folder

containing the portable copy. I really wanna start working this computer

out and setting it up to my liking, but I can't do that if I can't even

focus on the window I want to focus on. I've asked on the blind tech

list but nobody's talking yet and I'm scared my post might end up being

ignored because I sent it just as everyone was going to bed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



Mail Merge in Microsoft word 2010 with NVDA, an Issue

saitejam447@...
 

Hello everyone,
I once tried using NVDA to perform a mail merge in Microsoft word 2010 and was successful. However, I've found an issue with the type new list dialogue box used to enter a list of recipients. As I tab through the type new list dialogue box, NVDA fails to read the names of the different fields, and I can't add a new entry for each recipient simply by using the keyboard. How do I solve this issue? Any help would be appreciated.


Re: Trying to install NVDA from a portable copy on new Windows 10 computer but can't focus on the NVDA menu

Gene
 

You haven't determined if this is a problem you are having with NVDA in general or a problem with your specific copy that you customized.  Download a completely clean exe file, run it, and when given the choice, select the keep running option.  See if you can do the things with it that you can't with the tailored copy you are working with. 
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 8:36 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Trying to install NVDA from a portable copy on new Windows 10 computer but can't focus on the NVDA menu

My portable copy has all my settings and I have caps lock set as the modifier on it. I also tried using the modifier +q to exit, and I know that menu popped up but focus didn't switch to it automatically. My mother and sister could see it but I couldn't.


On 20/12/2017 12:10 AM, Chris wrote:

Is the menu open do you know?

The default nvda modifier is the insert key you can change it to the caps lock keybut that is not the default

 

So try the insert+N and see what happens then

 

 

 

From: Sharni-Lee Ward
Sent: 19 December 2017 11:26
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Trying to install NVDA from a portable copy on new Windows 10 computer but can't focus on the NVDA menu

 

Right, so my mother was able to open the portable copy of NVDA, and I was in the window where the NVDA Portable folder was. Then I pressed caps-lock+n to open the NVDA menu and it said NVDA menu, but when I scrolled with the arrow keys it was only reading the items in the NVDA Portable folder, and so I couldn't select anything from the NVDA menu. I tried alt+tab but that just landed me in the same window. I tried pressing NVDA+n again, but that didn't work. I can't install from the portable copy if I can't access the NVDA menu.

 

On 19/12/2017 10:20 PM, Chris wrote:

Hello

 

I saw your other post, but wasn’t sure what you are trying to achieve?

 

Are you saying you want to run a portable copy of nvda or you cant run a portable copy?

 

Or are you wanting to install from a portable copy?

Or cant install it to your computer?

 

If you can be a bit ore specific that will help, thanks

 

 

From: Sharni-Lee Ward
Sent: 19 December 2017 10:33
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Trying to install NVDA from a portable copy on new Windows 10 computer but can't focus on the NVDA menu

 

Hi,

 

 

I got a Windows 10 laptop as an early Christmas present and earlier, I

tried to install NVDA on it from the portable copy I have, but when I

opened the NVDA Menu, focus didn't switch to it. I tried alt+tab in case

that would help, but I always landed on the window with the folder

containing the portable copy. I really wanna start working this computer

out and setting it up to my liking, but I can't do that if I can't even

focus on the window I want to focus on. I've asked on the blind tech

list but nobody's talking yet and I'm scared my post might end up being

ignored because I sent it just as everyone was going to bed.

 

 

 

 

 

 



Re: Trying to install NVDA from a portable copy on new Windows 10 computer but can't focus on the NVDA menu

Chris
 

Maybe the open window has focus, try closing the window and see if that helps any

 

Or try windows key+D to go to the desktop and see if that is better

Or failing that go to the notification tray windows key+B and see if you can open the nvda menu with the tray icon

 

Or if that dowsnt work restart nvda and/or the computer

 

From: Sharni-Lee Ward
Sent: 19 December 2017 14:36
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Trying to install NVDA from a portable copy on new Windows 10 computer but can't focus on the NVDA menu

 

My portable copy has all my settings and I have caps lock set as the modifier on it. I also tried using the modifier +q to exit, and I know that menu popped up but focus didn't switch to it automatically. My mother and sister could see it but I couldn't.

 

On 20/12/2017 12:10 AM, Chris wrote:

Is the menu open do you know?

The default nvda modifier is the insert key you can change it to the caps lock keybut that is not the default

 

So try the insert+N and see what happens then

 

 

 

From: Sharni-Lee Ward
Sent: 19 December 2017 11:26
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Trying to install NVDA from a portable copy on new Windows 10 computer but can't focus on the NVDA menu

 

Right, so my mother was able to open the portable copy of NVDA, and I was in the window where the NVDA Portable folder was. Then I pressed caps-lock+n to open the NVDA menu and it said NVDA menu, but when I scrolled with the arrow keys it was only reading the items in the NVDA Portable folder, and so I couldn't select anything from the NVDA menu. I tried alt+tab but that just landed me in the same window. I tried pressing NVDA+n again, but that didn't work. I can't install from the portable copy if I can't access the NVDA menu.

 

On 19/12/2017 10:20 PM, Chris wrote:

Hello

 

I saw your other post, but wasn’t sure what you are trying to achieve?

 

Are you saying you want to run a portable copy of nvda or you cant run a portable copy?

 

Or are you wanting to install from a portable copy?

Or cant install it to your computer?

 

If you can be a bit ore specific that will help, thanks

 

 

From: Sharni-Lee Ward
Sent: 19 December 2017 10:33
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Trying to install NVDA from a portable copy on new Windows 10 computer but can't focus on the NVDA menu

 

Hi,

 

 

I got a Windows 10 laptop as an early Christmas present and earlier, I

tried to install NVDA on it from the portable copy I have, but when I

opened the NVDA Menu, focus didn't switch to it. I tried alt+tab in case

that would help, but I always landed on the window with the folder

containing the portable copy. I really wanna start working this computer

out and setting it up to my liking, but I can't do that if I can't even

focus on the window I want to focus on. I've asked on the blind tech

list but nobody's talking yet and I'm scared my post might end up being

ignored because I sent it just as everyone was going to bed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Re: screen shade

ely.r@...
 

Jean,

Well, it did not happen with this email. No changes in anything here. Any chance you did the invert approach? Maybe you just found an app that would flip your monitor presentation. If so, maybe let the list from the southern hemisphere know the approach you use for such a flip.

 

Be well way down there, and may you have a warm and sunny mid-winter holiday,

Rick

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene New Zealand
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 8:55 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] screen shade

 

Hi rick

 

That is the funniest thing i have read all day.

 

I am just using mozilla thunderbird and would have to check but it is in html and you would be the first to say that.

 

I could understand it if you some how turned your stuff you are viewing the normal way on its side or up side down with a keystroke. I have done that before for some reason sighted people do not like it that way i did not know until it was pointed out.

I just used the pc as normal.

 

You will have to try and catch the log if you can but me sure under general settings it is set to debug and not info. it is found under logging level.

make sure you save your settings.

 

 

It might be your power suppy over heating or going fault.

Or the processor getting to hot and rebooting.

 

Gene nz

 

I guess you would be the first on the list to have that bug. I do not think the digital signature would do it either.

 

Gene nz

 

 

On 12/19/2017 1:36 PM, ely.r@... wrote:

Jean in New Zealand and the group in general,

This is the strangest thing I have seen in email. Using Outlook 2016/365, Windows 10 and Newest NVDA, every time I try to open a message from Jean, outlook goes belly up. Sometimes it will do a self-restart, other times I have to start it. Now it could be that Jean’s messages are simply upside down given where they are originating. I have tried turning my monitor and my tower upside down to accommodate, but no luck! Seriously, the event is real, and I don’t get any sort of warning or error message. Has anyone out there seen this? If so, please let me know if you found a fix.

Apologies Jean and thanks anyone,

Rick

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene New Zealand
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 1:12 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] screen shade

 

I agree with you.

I have not seen a sighted person use a device with the screen off on any device.

You ask any sighted person to use the computer with say sound and only the screen reader and the screen turned off and they are lost.

I my self would not even do any type of banking or sensitive stuff on a public computer just because of security I would want to hope it was really locked down.
And that would be even with a blacked out screen.
I would still not go there on public terminal.
 
Been in a home situation I would not have a need for it who is going to look my wife? or may be people just do not want people to know they could be looking at one of those .aughty websites.

  At home off goes the button on the monitor and then the wife if she wants it just turns it on.


Gene nz

On 12/19/2017 2:03 AM, ely.r@... wrote:

Good idea!

I have to wonder what people are writing on their computers in what I assume is a public area that they do not want others to see. If someone has full vision, one would assume that they have their screen turned on so they can both read and write. If so, then it is likely that they will not be writing highly sensitive things that others might see as they walk by. Sorry if this seems insensitive, but. . .

Rick

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Josh Kennedy
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 7:53 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] screen shade

 

Instead of screen shade. Get a black piece of paper and put it over your screen. And voila, nobody can see your screen at all.

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

 

--

Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

 

--

Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.


Re: Trying to install NVDA from a portable copy on new Windows 10 computer but can't focus on the NVDA menu

Sharni-Lee Ward
 

My portable copy has all my settings and I have caps lock set as the modifier on it. I also tried using the modifier +q to exit, and I know that menu popped up but focus didn't switch to it automatically. My mother and sister could see it but I couldn't.


On 20/12/2017 12:10 AM, Chris wrote:

Is the menu open do you know?

The default nvda modifier is the insert key you can change it to the caps lock keybut that is not the default

 

So try the insert+N and see what happens then

 

 

 

From: Sharni-Lee Ward
Sent: 19 December 2017 11:26
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Trying to install NVDA from a portable copy on new Windows 10 computer but can't focus on the NVDA menu

 

Right, so my mother was able to open the portable copy of NVDA, and I was in the window where the NVDA Portable folder was. Then I pressed caps-lock+n to open the NVDA menu and it said NVDA menu, but when I scrolled with the arrow keys it was only reading the items in the NVDA Portable folder, and so I couldn't select anything from the NVDA menu. I tried alt+tab but that just landed me in the same window. I tried pressing NVDA+n again, but that didn't work. I can't install from the portable copy if I can't access the NVDA menu.

 

On 19/12/2017 10:20 PM, Chris wrote:

Hello

 

I saw your other post, but wasn’t sure what you are trying to achieve?

 

Are you saying you want to run a portable copy of nvda or you cant run a portable copy?

 

Or are you wanting to install from a portable copy?

Or cant install it to your computer?

 

If you can be a bit ore specific that will help, thanks

 

 

From: Sharni-Lee Ward
Sent: 19 December 2017 10:33
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Trying to install NVDA from a portable copy on new Windows 10 computer but can't focus on the NVDA menu

 

Hi,

 

 

I got a Windows 10 laptop as an early Christmas present and earlier, I

tried to install NVDA on it from the portable copy I have, but when I

opened the NVDA Menu, focus didn't switch to it. I tried alt+tab in case

that would help, but I always landed on the window with the folder

containing the portable copy. I really wanna start working this computer

out and setting it up to my liking, but I can't do that if I can't even

focus on the window I want to focus on. I've asked on the blind tech

list but nobody's talking yet and I'm scared my post might end up being

ignored because I sent it just as everyone was going to bed.

 

 

 

 

 

 



Re: an idea for possible new NVDA functionality

 

Hi,

NVDA doesn’t really care what keyboard you’ve got as long as it can understand scan codes and virtual key codes it gets. In this case, it’s really up to keyboard driver/firmware blob that is responsible for telling NVDA what the key press was.

Cheers,

Joseph

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of coffeekingms@...
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 1:02 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] an idea for possible new NVDA functionality

 

Hi

Thanks a lot for the tip on the synth settings ring for the laptop keyboard layout. I did look in the command quick reference before posting here but didn’t find it. I assume discussion of the unoficial, free, ETI eloquence add on isn’t allowed, so I’ll refrain from reporting bugs that only affect it. I don’t have the money for the officially supported one which also contains the vocalizer voices, $60 is a bit much on most months. Regarding the keyboard layouts, I don’t know the keycodes for my Logitech k520, but if I could find an application which could show them I could easily put them up somewhere. I was asking for general functionality though. For example, an additional checkbox in the general or keyboard settings labeled something like, keyboard layout for “keyboard name here” combo box desktop. I don’t know if it’s technically possible to query windows for a list of keyboards connected to it. If it is, if it’s possible to separate out add on keyboards from the one plugged into the laptop’s motherboard. And how would desktops be handled? That is, desktops with two keyboards, or maybe one keyboard and one braille display with braille keys? I just now thought of that last one. There may be a reason NVDA can’t do what I’m asking.

Thanks

Kendell Clark

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Bhavya shah
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 2:47 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] an idea for possible new NVDA functionality

 

Hi Kendell,
With reference to the odd behavior you are experiencing with the Voice
Settings dialog, this report has been seen in the past wherein the
unofficial ETI Eloquence driver is in use. If you are using any other
speech synthesizer (please specify which), this is a bug worth
investigating.
In regards to your second query, the laptop keyboard layout keystrokes
for accessing the Synth Settings Ring are NVDA+Ctrl+Shift+arrow keys,
i.e. just add the Shift key to the existing key combination.
Thanks.

On 12/19/17, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@...> wrote:
> Joseph needs to comment on this.
>
> Non technical version.
>
> I don't see any reason there couldn't be another keyboard for a
> spaciffic board especially if you know all the codes for all the keys
> and what they all do reguardless of things.
>
> It should be able to be made the file for this.
>
> Technical.
>
> However are there keyboard files, yoou would need a definition for the
> board, it wouldn't matter what was connected to it.
>
> That all assumes that you can actually do this yourself.
>
> Are the keyboards part of nvda itself or are they definition files.
>
> It may be a good idea maybe that keyboards are different files so people
> can define their own keyboards and share them.
>
> Most keyboards would be the same, however I do know cases where some
> keyboards are different.
>
>
>
>
> On 19/12/2017 8:53 p.m., coffeekingms@... wrote:
>> Hi all
>> This may or may not have been discussed hear already, so hear goes. I have
>> a vizio ct14 ultrabook. It has one of those keyboards which does not
>> contain a number pad and it’s not possible as far as I know to emulate one
>> by pressing fn key shortcuts. I use the laptop keyboard layout with NVDA
>> and I like it. However, I also use a wireless keyboard when I’m away from
>> the laptop. Would it be possible to have a separate keyboard layout for
>> this keyboard? This doesn’t seem to be possible yet, but is anyone
>> interested in either adding this functionality to NVDA or as an optional
>> add on? I’m not sure if this is even possible, and if it were you’d have
>> to detect the type of keyboard, EG USB, ps2, etc. This would allow you to
>> have separate layouts for each keyboard you use. The reason I’m asking is
>> because the synthesizer settings ring doesn’t seem to exist in the laptop
>> keyboard layout. If it does, I haven’t been able to discover the keyboard
>> shortcuts bound to it.  Additionally, the voice settings dialog seems to
>> have a bug. Opening it and changing a synthesizer setting, EG rate, and
>> then pressing the OK button does not close the dialog. Pressing the escape
>> key does close it but also reverts the setting changed. This is with NVDA
>> 2017.4. This occurs with windows one-core as well as the built in Espeak
>> synth. This isn’t a complaint, just an idea. Is anyone interested or have
>> any feedback?
>> Thanks
>> Kendell Clark
>>
>>
>> Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows
>> 10
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>


--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Blogger at Hiking Across Horizons: https://bhavyashah125.wordpress.com/

Contacting Me
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@...
Follow me on Twitter @BhavyaShah125 or www.twitter.com/BhavyaShah125
Mobile Number: +91 7506221750

 


Re: Trying to install NVDA from a portable copy on new Windows 10 computer but can't focus on the NVDA menu

Chris
 

Is the menu open do you know?

The default nvda modifier is the insert key you can change it to the caps lock keybut that is not the default

 

So try the insert+N and see what happens then

 

 

 

From: Sharni-Lee Ward
Sent: 19 December 2017 11:26
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Trying to install NVDA from a portable copy on new Windows 10 computer but can't focus on the NVDA menu

 

Right, so my mother was able to open the portable copy of NVDA, and I was in the window where the NVDA Portable folder was. Then I pressed caps-lock+n to open the NVDA menu and it said NVDA menu, but when I scrolled with the arrow keys it was only reading the items in the NVDA Portable folder, and so I couldn't select anything from the NVDA menu. I tried alt+tab but that just landed me in the same window. I tried pressing NVDA+n again, but that didn't work. I can't install from the portable copy if I can't access the NVDA menu.

 

On 19/12/2017 10:20 PM, Chris wrote:

Hello

 

I saw your other post, but wasn’t sure what you are trying to achieve?

 

Are you saying you want to run a portable copy of nvda or you cant run a portable copy?

 

Or are you wanting to install from a portable copy?

Or cant install it to your computer?

 

If you can be a bit ore specific that will help, thanks

 

 

From: Sharni-Lee Ward
Sent: 19 December 2017 10:33
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Trying to install NVDA from a portable copy on new Windows 10 computer but can't focus on the NVDA menu

 

Hi,

 

 

I got a Windows 10 laptop as an early Christmas present and earlier, I

tried to install NVDA on it from the portable copy I have, but when I

opened the NVDA Menu, focus didn't switch to it. I tried alt+tab in case

that would help, but I always landed on the window with the folder

containing the portable copy. I really wanna start working this computer

out and setting it up to my liking, but I can't do that if I can't even

focus on the window I want to focus on. I've asked on the blind tech

list but nobody's talking yet and I'm scared my post might end up being

ignored because I sent it just as everyone was going to bed.

 

 

 

 

 

 


Re: competition

erik burggraaf <erik@...>
 

Actually Bob, the situation with jaws is that it makes almost complete use of it Scripts. Jaws has a well-earned reputation for ignoring standards, and forcing all programs into compliance. A few off-the-shelf products work out of the box if the developers have followed certain standards, but the program's you use everyday such as Office products are heavily scripted.

I used to make pretty good money going to customers houses, uninstalling their script files, and reinstalling them. I made almost as much money doing that as I did cleaning up viruses, and had almost as good a time doing it.

Best,

Erik

On December 18, 2017 7:38:51 PM "bob jutzi" <jutzi1@...> wrote:

But Jaws still does make use of scripts a when necessary and I don't see
how anyone can afford keeping that thing updated. I'm sure it comes
down to what your software needs are. I use both Word and Outlook
Office 365, Itunes, and Winamp, to name a few, and NVDA meets my needs
very well.


On 12/18/2017 6:41 PM, Sam Taylor wrote:
Karim,

They are not included because Add-ons, as the name suggests, are
optional. Integrating them into the installer would mean that the
installer filesize would be inflated, resulting in a much bigger
download for everyone.


On 19/12/2017 9:30 am, Karim Lakhani wrote:
Hi,
Can someone explain why add are not included in the main install of
the APP.
If the add on's are useable by all the community, why not add them in
the main install?
I hope this doesn't come down to the amount of data you have, I know
it will be cheaper then 1800.00
Some of us don't have the knowledge to accomplish these functions.
I think it's like Elisa, she only gets smarter the more you use it.
EMAIL:karim.lakhani@...
$$$$
SKYPE: goldenace4
$$$$
Your reputation is in the hands of others. That's what a
reputation is. You can't control that. The only thing you
can control is your character.
- Wayne Walter Dyer (1940-)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
*From:* nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] *On Behalf Of
*Mike and Jenna
*Sent:* Monday, December 18, 2017 10:39 AM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] competition

I have to agree with this. My wife asked to question the other day why
use NVDA if I have to install addons to do the stuff I want to do then
also have to keep them updated. I see this a lot with the disability
place I work for part time. I have several elders after showing them
nvda and jaws have chosen jaws do to the fact they don’t have to deal
with addons.

*From:*nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] *On Behalf Of
*Gene
*Sent:* Sunday, December 17, 2017 8:15 PM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] competition

A lot of NVDA users won't ever know enough to know that there are add
ons nor how to install them. You are free to remove any add ons you
don't want and, for experienced users who understand the implications,
a no add ons NVDA can be offered if it really matters, which I don't
think it does. I'm not talking about including add on after add on in
NVDA. I'm saying that some add ons should be included because you
aren't serving a lot of blind people well by not doing so, meaning the
large number, who will never use add ons they have to download and
install. Instead of spending time and resources reinventing the wheel
just to make it a part of core NVDA code, just include the add on.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

*From:*Gerardo Corripio <mailto:gera1027@...>

*Sent:*Sunday, December 17, 2017 6:19 PM

*To:*nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>

*Subject:*Re: [nvda] competition

What I've liked and am liking of the AddOns on NVDA is the ability to
install those that suits are needs, thus NVDA should be pure as
always, but with each of us adding the necessary AddOns for our daily use.

El 17/12/2017 a las 06:16 p.m., Rui Fontes escribió:

Sorry, Gene, but if some of the addons will be shipped with NVDA
and set to run, they should stop being addons and start being part
of NVDA core...

Addon, by definition, is a piece of software to execute a specific
function that does not make part of the NVDA core...

Regards,

Rui Fontes

Às 00:07 de 18/12/2017, Gene escreveu:

NVDA doesn't have to adopt every popular feature of other
screen-readers to compete. I don't have much opinion about
whether this feature is implemented in NVDA directly or by an
add on. It is a peripheral feature and not an actual
screen-reader feature. It is a proper question whether NVDA
development time and resources should be put into this
project. And an add on wouldn't divert NVDA time and
resources. However, when it comes to add ons, NVDA should do
what Window-eyes used to do, not because Window-eyes does it,
but because it serves users well, is logical and there is no
reason of any substance not to do it.

Window-eyes used to accomplish a number of functions by having
a number of what it pretentiously called apps, they were
really scripts, but they were available to users as add ons
and were shipped with Window-eyes and were set to run at the
time of installation. Many users of whatever screen-reader
they use will never learn enough to know anything about add
ons. there are a number of add ons that should be
incorporated into NVDA as addons that are downloaded and are
running when NVDA is run.

If this were done, the major objection against making a
feature an add on would be done away with. the objection is
that a lot of people will never know about add ons and never
use whatever is being discussed. If this objection were done
away with by having many add ons be included in NVDA as
running add ons at the time of download and installation or
portable use, the whole question and argument about whether
something should be an add on could be done away with.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

*From:* Don H <mailto:lmddh50@...>

*Sent:* Sunday, December 17, 2017 4:16 PM

*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>

*Subject:* [nvda] competition

When it comes to the new screen shade function in Jaws 2018
and if NVDA
should also have the same function the main question is
whether or not
NVDA is in competition with other screen readers in order to
get more
users or is NVDA just a free screen reader for those who can't
afford to
pay for a screen reader.




--
Gera
Enviado desde Thunderbird


Re: an idea for possible new NVDA functionality

Bhavya shah
 

Hi Kendell,
The Commands Quick Reference only lists the more frequently used
common keyboard shortcuts of NVDA. A much more extensive and
comprehensive document to peruse is the Help submenu item just below
Commands Quick Reference, namely User Guide. This doubt of yours would
have been clarified even by a quick Find for the relevant keywords. I
am sure that a read of this guide will teach you quite a few new
things.
Yes, the unofficial ETI Eloquence driver is illegal and any discussion
revolving it is prohibited on this list.
The functionality you propose sounds like a reasonable feature
request, but is subject to technicalities I do not have knowledge
about.
Thanks.

On 12/19/17, coffeekingms@... <coffeekingms@...> wrote:
Hi
Thanks a lot for the tip on the synth settings ring for the laptop keyboard
layout. I did look in the command quick reference before posting here but
didn’t find it. I assume discussion of the unoficial, free, ETI eloquence
add on isn’t allowed, so I’ll refrain from reporting bugs that only affect
it. I don’t have the money for the officially supported one which also
contains the vocalizer voices, $60 is a bit much on most months. Regarding
the keyboard layouts, I don’t know the keycodes for my Logitech k520, but if
I could find an application which could show them I could easily put them up
somewhere. I was asking for general functionality though. For example, an
additional checkbox in the general or keyboard settings labeled something
like, keyboard layout for “keyboard name here” combo box desktop. I don’t
know if it’s technically possible to query windows for a list of keyboards
connected to it. If it is, if it’s possible to separate out add on keyboards
from the one plugged into the laptop’s motherboard. And how would desktops
be handled? That is, desktops with two keyboards, or maybe one keyboard and
one braille display with braille keys? I just now thought of that last one.
There may be a reason NVDA can’t do what I’m asking.
Thanks
Kendell Clark


Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows
10

From: Bhavya shah<mailto:bhavya.shah125@...>
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 2:47 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [nvda] an idea for possible new NVDA functionality

Hi Kendell,
With reference to the odd behavior you are experiencing with the Voice
Settings dialog, this report has been seen in the past wherein the
unofficial ETI Eloquence driver is in use. If you are using any other
speech synthesizer (please specify which), this is a bug worth
investigating.
In regards to your second query, the laptop keyboard layout keystrokes
for accessing the Synth Settings Ring are NVDA+Ctrl+Shift+arrow keys,
i.e. just add the Shift key to the existing key combination.
Thanks.

On 12/19/17, Shaun Everiss <@smeveriss> wrote:
Joseph needs to comment on this.

Non technical version.

I don't see any reason there couldn't be another keyboard for a
spaciffic board especially if you know all the codes for all the keys
and what they all do reguardless of things.

It should be able to be made the file for this.

Technical.

However are there keyboard files, yoou would need a definition for the
board, it wouldn't matter what was connected to it.

That all assumes that you can actually do this yourself.

Are the keyboards part of nvda itself or are they definition files.

It may be a good idea maybe that keyboards are different files so people
can define their own keyboards and share them.

Most keyboards would be the same, however I do know cases where some
keyboards are different.




On 19/12/2017 8:53 p.m., coffeekingms@... wrote:
Hi all
This may or may not have been discussed hear already, so hear goes. I
have
a vizio ct14 ultrabook. It has one of those keyboards which does not
contain a number pad and it’s not possible as far as I know to emulate
one
by pressing fn key shortcuts. I use the laptop keyboard layout with NVDA
and I like it. However, I also use a wireless keyboard when I’m away
from
the laptop. Would it be possible to have a separate keyboard layout for
this keyboard? This doesn’t seem to be possible yet, but is anyone
interested in either adding this functionality to NVDA or as an optional
add on? I’m not sure if this is even possible, and if it were you’d have
to detect the type of keyboard, EG USB, ps2, etc. This would allow you
to
have separate layouts for each keyboard you use. The reason I’m asking
is
because the synthesizer settings ring doesn’t seem to exist in the
laptop
keyboard layout. If it does, I haven’t been able to discover the
keyboard
shortcuts bound to it. Additionally, the voice settings dialog seems to
have a bug. Opening it and changing a synthesizer setting, EG rate, and
then pressing the OK button does not close the dialog. Pressing the
escape
key does close it but also reverts the setting changed. This is with
NVDA
2017.4. This occurs with windows one-core as well as the built in Espeak
synth. This isn’t a complaint, just an idea. Is anyone interested or
have
any feedback?
Thanks
Kendell Clark


Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for
Windows
10






--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Blogger at Hiking Across Horizons: https://bhavyashah125.wordpress.com/

Contacting Me
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@...
Follow me on Twitter @BhavyaShah125 or
www.twitter.com/BhavyaShah125<http://www.twitter.com/BhavyaShah125>
Mobile Number: +91 7506221750



--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Blogger at Hiking Across Horizons: https://bhavyashah125.wordpress.com/

Contacting Me
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@...
Follow me on Twitter @BhavyaShah125 or www.twitter.com/BhavyaShah125
Mobile Number: +91 7506221750


Re: screen shade

Christopher-Mark Gilland <clgilland07@...>
 

Excuse me, but, when did I ever say I needed this before being productive? For the record, I hardly ever use screen shade. So with all due respect, don't put proverbial words in my mouth which I never said. I was trying to make a point that some people, even those only with light preception, might have sensitive eyes.
 
For example. I have some usable vision, yes, and definitely can see enough to tell my screen is lit up. NO, not enough to read what's on it, but definitely enough to tell when things are popping up on the screen. I have a rare eye condition called Aneridia though. Go Google it, if you're so inclined. Part of this disorder is that your puples are 100% diolated 24/7, so therefore, obviously, more light gets in than usual for a sighted person, and therefore light can really really hurt my eyes at times. So therefore, when I'm having a bad day, where is the case, and my eyes are hurting, I'll turn on the screen shade. It's not a matter of me thinking I need it since I'm blind, again, I never said that. It's neither that I necessarily need it per sé, but sometimes, the screen does hurt my eyes from its radiating light. So this is a way, I can blank out the screen to a solid black, or well, more like a really dark gray, but whatever, point is, it definitely knocks a lot of that brightness off the thing, therefore making it more easy on my eyes.
 
This isn't a privacy thing, and honestly I have no earthly inkling of an idea what gave you that impression, or that I thought because I was blind, I had to have it or I'd not be productive. I'm sorry, but until you live in someone's shoes like this, it probably might be slightly hard to relate to, but trust me, it really does help.
 
If I am misunderstanding the tone or meaning of your message, then I profusely apologize, but this is at least how it is coming off to me when reading it. I open your clarification if I'm misunderstanding.
---
Christopher Gilland
Co-founder of Genuine Safe Haven Ministries
 

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 3:55 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] screen shade

if you can see what is the point?
that is real sad you think you need this feature, before you can be productive as a blind person?
 
 
 
EMAIL:karim.lakhani@...
$$$$
SKYPE: goldenace4
$$$$
Your reputation is in the hands of others. That's what a
reputation is. You can't control that. The only thing you
can control is your character.
- Wayne Walter Dyer (1940-)
 
 
 


From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Christopher-Mark Gilland
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 7:06 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] screen shade

I totally agree! It's not just a privacy thing. What about those people who the monitor hurts their eyes? Again, yeah, just turn the monitor off, I get it, but like I said earlier, a lot of these monitors you hit a keystroke and yeah, it turns it off, but only until your next keypress, which kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion, therefore, a screenshade would be in order.
---
Christopher Gilland
Co-founder of Genuine Safe Haven Ministries
 
----- Original Message -----
From: Lenron
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 8:59 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] screen shade

Josh your argument is so invalid. Just because I want privacy does not
mean I must be up to something bad hell I just want to be able to have
my screen blank when I need it to be. I wouldn't dream of wanting to
get in the way of someone elses privacy unless I had a major reason.

On 12/18/17, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> People have a right to privacy no matter what they are doing.  If I'm
> sitting in a chair with headphones on, I have a right to privacy in my home.
>  If I'm on a bus, train, or plane, and I'm writing in my diary, or writing
> an e-mail, not intended for general viewing, I have a right to privacy.
> Privacy is not just something you have a right to or legitimately want when
> you are performing socially unacceptable actions.  If that were true, the
> very act of taking actions to safeguard your privacy could be regarded by
> the legal system as an admission of guilt or a serious indication of guilt
> about something.
>
> Gene
> ----- Original Message -----
>
> From: Karim Lakhani
> Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 6:44 PM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [nvda] screen shade
>
>
> I'm concerned how many things you all do on your computers, that you don't
> want any buddy to look at.
> How many hours in a day do you write this kind of personal data which is
> something you want to hide?
> I think looking at porn is real high usage because they can see the screen,
> it stops no one from using these acts.
> With sound a porn sight with audio would require head phones don't you
> think?
> I love the audio ducking in NVDA, because you can accomplish so much while
> using the computer and then when it's just stream the sound is at the sound
> you want.
> Marry Christmas and a happy new year.
>
> I worked at a company where co - workers who are sighted and didn't work
> directly in my group, but because I kept my screen off, and wore head phones
> they didn't think I was working.
> But I didn't let the matter go, if my eyes are getting bothered from the
> light on the monitor it was a great move.In stead of waiting for someone to
> write code to prevent this matter.
>
> Hope not all of us have to continuously write letters which no one else
> should write.
> good night!
>
>
>
> EMAIL:karim.lakhani@...
> $$$$
> SKYPE: goldenace4
> $$$$
> Your reputation is in the hands of others. That's what a
> reputation is. You can't control that. The only thing you
> can control is your character.
> - Wayne Walter Dyer (1940-)
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Josh
> Kennedy
> Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 4:32 PM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: [nvda] screen shade
>
>
> Ok about the screen shade. Why do blind people need a screen shade? And why
> do sighted people they don't need a screen shade? So why is it good for
> blind to have screen shade but not sighted? Oh and if I were a sighted
> person and you had a screen shade on, I would just pick up my smart phone
> and do some research and could figure out how to turn it off anyway. And
> what if the keyboard command for turning it on and off were spread on
> facebook and twitter? Now anybody can just come by your computer ;and turn
> the screen shade off. Or  someone could just hack the computer and use it
> screen shade or no shade, without even caring screen shade is on or off.
> Don't know why you want screen shade, but if it is for privacy? Forget it.
> If I had a blind son and I were a sighted parent and caught my blind son
> having a screen shade, I would suspect he's doing or reading stuff he should
> not. Guess what? I take the computer or phone away from him for a week or
> so. He gets punished for using screen shade.
>
>
>
>
>
> Sent from Mail for Windows 10
>
>
>
>


--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832
Skype: ron.brown762



Re: Trying to install NVDA from a portable copy on new Windows 10 computer but can't focus on the NVDA menu

Sharni-Lee Ward
 

Right, so my mother was able to open the portable copy of NVDA, and I was in the window where the NVDA Portable folder was. Then I pressed caps-lock+n to open the NVDA menu and it said NVDA menu, but when I scrolled with the arrow keys it was only reading the items in the NVDA Portable folder, and so I couldn't select anything from the NVDA menu. I tried alt+tab but that just landed me in the same window. I tried pressing NVDA+n again, but that didn't work. I can't install from the portable copy if I can't access the NVDA menu.


On 19/12/2017 10:20 PM, Chris wrote:

Hello

 

I saw your other post, but wasn’t sure what you are trying to achieve?

 

Are you saying you want to run a portable copy of nvda or you cant run a portable copy?

 

Or are you wanting to install from a portable copy?

Or cant install it to your computer?

 

If you can be a bit ore specific that will help, thanks

 

 

From: Sharni-Lee Ward
Sent: 19 December 2017 10:33
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Trying to install NVDA from a portable copy on new Windows 10 computer but can't focus on the NVDA menu

 

Hi,

 

 

I got a Windows 10 laptop as an early Christmas present and earlier, I

tried to install NVDA on it from the portable copy I have, but when I

opened the NVDA Menu, focus didn't switch to it. I tried alt+tab in case

that would help, but I always landed on the window with the folder

containing the portable copy. I really wanna start working this computer

out and setting it up to my liking, but I can't do that if I can't even

focus on the window I want to focus on. I've asked on the blind tech

list but nobody's talking yet and I'm scared my post might end up being

ignored because I sent it just as everyone was going to bed.

 

 

 

 



Re: Trying to install NVDA from a portable copy on new Windows 10 computer but can't focus on the NVDA menu

Chris
 

Hello

 

I saw your other post, but wasn’t sure what you are trying to achieve?

 

Are you saying you want to run a portable copy of nvda or you cant run a portable copy?

 

Or are you wanting to install from a portable copy?

Or cant install it to your computer?

 

If you can be a bit ore specific that will help, thanks

 

 

From: Sharni-Lee Ward
Sent: 19 December 2017 10:33
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Trying to install NVDA from a portable copy on new Windows 10 computer but can't focus on the NVDA menu

 

Hi,

 

 

I got a Windows 10 laptop as an early Christmas present and earlier, I

tried to install NVDA on it from the portable copy I have, but when I

opened the NVDA Menu, focus didn't switch to it. I tried alt+tab in case

that would help, but I always landed on the window with the folder

containing the portable copy. I really wanna start working this computer

out and setting it up to my liking, but I can't do that if I can't even

focus on the window I want to focus on. I've asked on the blind tech

list but nobody's talking yet and I'm scared my post might end up being

ignored because I sent it just as everyone was going to bed.

 

 

 

 


Trying to install NVDA from a portable copy on new Windows 10 computer but can't focus on the NVDA menu

Sharni-Lee Ward
 

Hi,


I got a Windows 10 laptop as an early Christmas present and earlier, I
tried to install NVDA on it from the portable copy I have, but when I
opened the NVDA Menu, focus didn't switch to it. I tried alt+tab in case
that would help, but I always landed on the window with the folder
containing the portable copy. I really wanna start working this computer
out and setting it up to my liking, but I can't do that if I can't even
focus on the window I want to focus on. I've asked on the blind tech
list but nobody's talking yet and I'm scared my post might end up being
ignored because I sent it just as everyone was going to bed.