Date   

Re: screen curtain

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

I sent this the other day. Some black coloured vinyl sheet adheres to the screen and can be left on or peeled off. Kind of hardware fix?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Josh Kennedy" <joshknnd1982@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 1:25 PM
Subject: [nvda] screen curtain


Why do you need a screen curtain when the rest of the sighted world does not need or use a screen curtain? If you want a screen curtain just put a black piece of paper over your screen.


Sent from Mail for Windows 10


Re: screen curtain

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

Jaws was overpriced long before it had bells an whistles to be honest.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karim Lakhani" <karim.lakhani@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 6:37 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] screen curtain


That would be a lot easier then trying to make things harder for people who
are busy trying to make NVDA useable for all.
Jaws has added a lot of bells and whistles to the screen reader and has out
priced themselves out of reach for people who can't afford it.
Thanks to the NVDA team.



EMAIL:karim.lakhani@...
$$$$
SKYPE: goldenace4
$$$$
Your reputation is in the hands of others. That's what a
reputation is. You can't control that. The only thing you
can control is your character.
- Wayne Walter Dyer (1940-)




_____

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Josh
Kennedy
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 6:25 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] screen curtain



Why do you need a screen curtain when the rest of the sighted world does
not need or use a screen curtain? If you want a screen curtain just put a
black piece of paper over your screen.





Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for
Windows 10





Re: an idea for possible new NVDA functionality

coffeekingms@hotmail.com
 

Hi

Thanks a lot for the tip on the synth settings ring for the laptop keyboard layout. I did look in the command quick reference before posting here but didn’t find it. I assume discussion of the unoficial, free, ETI eloquence add on isn’t allowed, so I’ll refrain from reporting bugs that only affect it. I don’t have the money for the officially supported one which also contains the vocalizer voices, $60 is a bit much on most months. Regarding the keyboard layouts, I don’t know the keycodes for my Logitech k520, but if I could find an application which could show them I could easily put them up somewhere. I was asking for general functionality though. For example, an additional checkbox in the general or keyboard settings labeled something like, keyboard layout for “keyboard name here” combo box desktop. I don’t know if it’s technically possible to query windows for a list of keyboards connected to it. If it is, if it’s possible to separate out add on keyboards from the one plugged into the laptop’s motherboard. And how would desktops be handled? That is, desktops with two keyboards, or maybe one keyboard and one braille display with braille keys? I just now thought of that last one. There may be a reason NVDA can’t do what I’m asking.

Thanks

Kendell Clark

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Bhavya shah
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 2:47 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] an idea for possible new NVDA functionality

 

Hi Kendell,
With reference to the odd behavior you are experiencing with the Voice
Settings dialog, this report has been seen in the past wherein the
unofficial ETI Eloquence driver is in use. If you are using any other
speech synthesizer (please specify which), this is a bug worth
investigating.
In regards to your second query, the laptop keyboard layout keystrokes
for accessing the Synth Settings Ring are NVDA+Ctrl+Shift+arrow keys,
i.e. just add the Shift key to the existing key combination.
Thanks.

On 12/19/17, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@...> wrote:
> Joseph needs to comment on this.
>
> Non technical version.
>
> I don't see any reason there couldn't be another keyboard for a
> spaciffic board especially if you know all the codes for all the keys
> and what they all do reguardless of things.
>
> It should be able to be made the file for this.
>
> Technical.
>
> However are there keyboard files, yoou would need a definition for the
> board, it wouldn't matter what was connected to it.
>
> That all assumes that you can actually do this yourself.
>
> Are the keyboards part of nvda itself or are they definition files.
>
> It may be a good idea maybe that keyboards are different files so people
> can define their own keyboards and share them.
>
> Most keyboards would be the same, however I do know cases where some
> keyboards are different.
>
>
>
>
> On 19/12/2017 8:53 p.m., coffeekingms@... wrote:
>> Hi all
>> This may or may not have been discussed hear already, so hear goes. I have
>> a vizio ct14 ultrabook. It has one of those keyboards which does not
>> contain a number pad and it’s not possible as far as I know to emulate one
>> by pressing fn key shortcuts. I use the laptop keyboard layout with NVDA
>> and I like it. However, I also use a wireless keyboard when I’m away from
>> the laptop. Would it be possible to have a separate keyboard layout for
>> this keyboard? This doesn’t seem to be possible yet, but is anyone
>> interested in either adding this functionality to NVDA or as an optional
>> add on? I’m not sure if this is even possible, and if it were you’d have
>> to detect the type of keyboard, EG USB, ps2, etc. This would allow you to
>> have separate layouts for each keyboard you use. The reason I’m asking is
>> because the synthesizer settings ring doesn’t seem to exist in the laptop
>> keyboard layout. If it does, I haven’t been able to discover the keyboard
>> shortcuts bound to it.  Additionally, the voice settings dialog seems to
>> have a bug. Opening it and changing a synthesizer setting, EG rate, and
>> then pressing the OK button does not close the dialog. Pressing the escape
>> key does close it but also reverts the setting changed. This is with NVDA
>> 2017.4. This occurs with windows one-core as well as the built in Espeak
>> synth. This isn’t a complaint, just an idea. Is anyone interested or have
>> any feedback?
>> Thanks
>> Kendell Clark
>>
>>
>> Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows
>> 10
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>


--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Blogger at Hiking Across Horizons: https://bhavyashah125.wordpress.com/

Contacting Me
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@...
Follow me on Twitter @BhavyaShah125 or www.twitter.com/BhavyaShah125
Mobile Number: +91 7506221750

 


Re: screen shade

Karim Lakhani <karim.lakhani@...>
 

if you can see what is the point?
that is real sad you think you need this feature, before you can be productive as a blind person?
 
 
 
EMAIL:karim.lakhani@...
$$$$
SKYPE: goldenace4
$$$$
Your reputation is in the hands of others. That's what a
reputation is. You can't control that. The only thing you
can control is your character.
- Wayne Walter Dyer (1940-)
 
 
 


From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Christopher-Mark Gilland
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 7:06 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] screen shade

I totally agree! It's not just a privacy thing. What about those people who the monitor hurts their eyes? Again, yeah, just turn the monitor off, I get it, but like I said earlier, a lot of these monitors you hit a keystroke and yeah, it turns it off, but only until your next keypress, which kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion, therefore, a screenshade would be in order.
---
Christopher Gilland
Co-founder of Genuine Safe Haven Ministries
 
----- Original Message -----
From: Lenron
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 8:59 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] screen shade

Josh your argument is so invalid. Just because I want privacy does not
mean I must be up to something bad hell I just want to be able to have
my screen blank when I need it to be. I wouldn't dream of wanting to
get in the way of someone elses privacy unless I had a major reason.

On 12/18/17, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> People have a right to privacy no matter what they are doing.  If I'm
> sitting in a chair with headphones on, I have a right to privacy in my home.
>  If I'm on a bus, train, or plane, and I'm writing in my diary, or writing
> an e-mail, not intended for general viewing, I have a right to privacy.
> Privacy is not just something you have a right to or legitimately want when
> you are performing socially unacceptable actions.  If that were true, the
> very act of taking actions to safeguard your privacy could be regarded by
> the legal system as an admission of guilt or a serious indication of guilt
> about something.
>
> Gene
> ----- Original Message -----
>
> From: Karim Lakhani
> Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 6:44 PM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [nvda] screen shade
>
>
> I'm concerned how many things you all do on your computers, that you don't
> want any buddy to look at.
> How many hours in a day do you write this kind of personal data which is
> something you want to hide?
> I think looking at porn is real high usage because they can see the screen,
> it stops no one from using these acts.
> With sound a porn sight with audio would require head phones don't you
> think?
> I love the audio ducking in NVDA, because you can accomplish so much while
> using the computer and then when it's just stream the sound is at the sound
> you want.
> Marry Christmas and a happy new year.
>
> I worked at a company where co - workers who are sighted and didn't work
> directly in my group, but because I kept my screen off, and wore head phones
> they didn't think I was working.
> But I didn't let the matter go, if my eyes are getting bothered from the
> light on the monitor it was a great move.In stead of waiting for someone to
> write code to prevent this matter.
>
> Hope not all of us have to continuously write letters which no one else
> should write.
> good night!
>
>
>
> EMAIL:karim.lakhani@...
> $$$$
> SKYPE: goldenace4
> $$$$
> Your reputation is in the hands of others. That's what a
> reputation is. You can't control that. The only thing you
> can control is your character.
> - Wayne Walter Dyer (1940-)
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Josh
> Kennedy
> Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 4:32 PM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: [nvda] screen shade
>
>
> Ok about the screen shade. Why do blind people need a screen shade? And why
> do sighted people they don't need a screen shade? So why is it good for
> blind to have screen shade but not sighted? Oh and if I were a sighted
> person and you had a screen shade on, I would just pick up my smart phone
> and do some research and could figure out how to turn it off anyway. And
> what if the keyboard command for turning it on and off were spread on
> facebook and twitter? Now anybody can just come by your computer ;and turn
> the screen shade off. Or  someone could just hack the computer and use it
> screen shade or no shade, without even caring screen shade is on or off.
> Don't know why you want screen shade, but if it is for privacy? Forget it.
> If I had a blind son and I were a sighted parent and caught my blind son
> having a screen shade, I would suspect he's doing or reading stuff he should
> not. Guess what? I take the computer or phone away from him for a week or
> so. He gets punished for using screen shade.
>
>
>
>
>
> Sent from Mail for Windows 10
>
>
>
>


--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832
Skype: ron.brown762



Re: Screen Shade/curtain?

Jaffar Sidek
 

HI.  When I started work, I came to an arrangement with my boss.  Because I didn't like my colleagues crowding around me or peeping round my shoulder when I was coding a program, I asked my boss if I could work without switching on my monitor, showing him my progress by emailing him the code at the end of the day for later discussion, so I didn't need a screen curtain as such.


On 18/12/2017 9:52 AM, David Moore wrote:

I did not think about the fact that a sighted person can look over their shoulder for prying eyes.

That is a great point! Good come back LOL!

I like good debates and discussions, because I just learned something right there!

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Kevin Chao
Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2017 8:40 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Screen Shade/curtain?

 

Screen shade is useful for protecting confidential work information, which we may not know about prying eyes, and a sighted person can see when someone is looking over their shoulders.

 

On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 5:27 PM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

As far as I know you can't just turn off the screen in the Windows settings and doing so may cause you real trouble if you can do it.  If you unexpectedly need sighted assistance, to deal with some sort of maintenance or performance problem, the screen should be on. 

 

The screen shade has the advantage that the screen is still on and a sighted person can work with the machine if needed.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: David Moore

Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2017 7:02 PM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Screen Shade/curtain?

 

I agree that we should only have features in screen readers that many people will really need, and will help them do a job. Many features in some screen readers are just not needed. You do not need a feature to do searches for you, when you can do a Google search. You don’t need this screen shade, because you can just turn off your screen in the Windows settings.

I really don’t know why anyone needs screen shade.

It is a useless feature, I think. How important is that for someone to be employed. We need screen readers to help people work many jobs, that should be the first importance. Next, intertainment uses need to be accessible with a screen reader. If you work hard, you need to play hard LOL!

NVDA does not have to have every feature that JAWS has either. I am so glad it doesn’t.

It takes me a few seconds to install NVDA, and 15 minutes to install JAWS, and JAWS leaves footprints all over my computer.

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Gene New Zealand
Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2017 7:16 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Screen Shade/curtain?

 

Hi

 

I agree with Joseph.

 

There might be things from other screen readers we might use or might not use so I would rather the developers concentrate on screen reader features that help.

 

if some one has got the smarts they can do it in a add on and that way if one is made you have the choice of either adding it or not.

 

then down the track it could be added like you see with some addons that code gets added to the core of nvda.

 

 

 

Gene nz

 

 

On 12/18/2017 11:47 AM, Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io wrote:

well fare enough,   but I still think it should be in the core one day in nvda.   if you don't want to use it then fare enough but I feel this is a feature for us blind screen reader users that is needed and would be a good thing for nvda to have built in.

On 17/12/2017 22:06, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,
Some JAWS users did report that it doesn’t work all the time.
As for my justification statement: like some in the community, I believe that NVDA's purpose is screen reading. I think NVDA Core should focus on screen reading, with add-ons coming in with optional features. I do understand that I can be heavy-handed at times like the one pointed out below, but I'm speaking from experience that just following the lead of another screen reader just because NVDA should is something I'm uncomfortable with. Also, privacy is something a shade feature cannot guarantee 100 percent, as there are numerous ways of breaching it, including sounds, speech, remote access, data sharing and many others.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2017 1:56 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Screen Shade/curtain?

it does not work on my 2 all in ones and I tried a little program on my laptops that should do this but it didn't work. I think it should be in nvda and Joseph for you just to say that you won't consider it if people say other screen readers have it is very heavy handed.

On 17/12/2017 21:24, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,
Sure, turning off the monitor may work, but not always.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Didier Colle
Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2017 1:21 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Screen Shade/curtain?

Hi Joseeph,


Thanks for the clarification.


Indeed, showing a blank window would not save energy. But why not simply switching off the screen (power button on an external monitor, or using the Fn+F7 (or similar key combination) on a laptop? Then you have both advantages, the pseudo "privacy" thing, and the energy saving.


I agree with the rest.

If an add-on would be needed, then I believe it is more worth
investing in an add-on that can report the status of the screen
(backlight level, to what port/screen the video signal is send), a bit
like the battery level feature in NVDA (nvda+shift+b)


Kind Regards,


Didier


On 17/12/2017 22:04, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,
As noted by some members, screen shade/curtain shows what appears to be a blank screen. This is used to "guarantee" privacy for screen reader users. Note the quotation marks around "guarantee", as it does not really guarantee privacy, as there are means to circumvent this (speech output, braille displays, remote access, etc.).
   From what I can gather, this function does not result in extended battery life nor power savings. When this function is turned on, an overlay window is imposed on top of other windows, and turning this off removes this overlay. As I said above, this does not provide privacy as many of you may think.
As for this being part of a screen reader: my overall opinion is that it should not. If people want it, then I think an add-on would be a more appropriate solution. Only after looking at justifications and costs should developers consider adding this into NVDA, in my opinion, and personally for me, a justification that goes along the lines of, "because another screen reader has this" is something I won't even consider.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Didier Colle
Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2017 6:37 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Screen Shade/curtain?

Hi all,


I am not sure what this functionality is exactly about.

When it is about switching off / dimming the monitor, I do not understand why it would not save on battery....

The backlight of a monitor in a laptop, tablet, smartphone, ... whatever is one of the main power sinks in such systems.


On a laptop, you can often (this may vary between laptops) use Fn+f7
for switching between different display modes (signal send only to
laptop monitor, signal send to external monitor only or signal send
to
both) or
Fn+F5 to dim the backlight and Fn+F6 to light it up.When I am on
Fn+battery
power for a long time, I dim the backlight with Fn+f5 to save battery.

Thus you don't need a NVDA add-on for that, although such add-on may
be useful to read the status of the screen (to which monitor is the
signal send, on what level is the backlight). I have no clue whether
windows has access to such info, let alone it provides an api to
request that info (it might be the case that on some laptops this is
a pure BIOS feature completely transparent to windows).


Once again, I am not sure what this functionality is supposed to be
exactly, and thus I may be speaking about something completely different.


Kind regards,


Didier


On 17/12/2017 9:24, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:

   From what I know about Windows and indeed most screenreaders, this
function is just for privacy, ie its not going to save any battery.
If that is what you want then I'd have thought it was possible to do
it, kind of like a screensaver that never actually loses focus but
then you need to be able to tell nvda that you want it to use the
invisible window not the visible one.

In the  issues tracker there is a thread on this.
Also the ultimate way |of doing this on a desktop is called the
monitor off switch..... ahem.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin Chao"
<kevinchao89@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, December 16, 2017 11:30 PM
Subject: [nvda] Screen Shade/curtain?


Hi,

VoiceOver has had screen curtain feature for a long while and JAWS
recently got screen shade.

Does NVDA have a similar feature via an add-on or natively?
Thanks!

 














 

 

--

Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

 

 



Re: an idea for possible new NVDA functionality

Bhavya shah
 

Hi Kendell,
With reference to the odd behavior you are experiencing with the Voice
Settings dialog, this report has been seen in the past wherein the
unofficial ETI Eloquence driver is in use. If you are using any other
speech synthesizer (please specify which), this is a bug worth
investigating.
In regards to your second query, the laptop keyboard layout keystrokes
for accessing the Synth Settings Ring are NVDA+Ctrl+Shift+arrow keys,
i.e. just add the Shift key to the existing key combination.
Thanks.

On 12/19/17, Shaun Everiss <@smeveriss> wrote:
Joseph needs to comment on this.

Non technical version.

I don't see any reason there couldn't be another keyboard for a
spaciffic board especially if you know all the codes for all the keys
and what they all do reguardless of things.

It should be able to be made the file for this.

Technical.

However are there keyboard files, yoou would need a definition for the
board, it wouldn't matter what was connected to it.

That all assumes that you can actually do this yourself.

Are the keyboards part of nvda itself or are they definition files.

It may be a good idea maybe that keyboards are different files so people
can define their own keyboards and share them.

Most keyboards would be the same, however I do know cases where some
keyboards are different.




On 19/12/2017 8:53 p.m., coffeekingms@... wrote:
Hi all
This may or may not have been discussed hear already, so hear goes. I have
a vizio ct14 ultrabook. It has one of those keyboards which does not
contain a number pad and it’s not possible as far as I know to emulate one
by pressing fn key shortcuts. I use the laptop keyboard layout with NVDA
and I like it. However, I also use a wireless keyboard when I’m away from
the laptop. Would it be possible to have a separate keyboard layout for
this keyboard? This doesn’t seem to be possible yet, but is anyone
interested in either adding this functionality to NVDA or as an optional
add on? I’m not sure if this is even possible, and if it were you’d have
to detect the type of keyboard, EG USB, ps2, etc. This would allow you to
have separate layouts for each keyboard you use. The reason I’m asking is
because the synthesizer settings ring doesn’t seem to exist in the laptop
keyboard layout. If it does, I haven’t been able to discover the keyboard
shortcuts bound to it. Additionally, the voice settings dialog seems to
have a bug. Opening it and changing a synthesizer setting, EG rate, and
then pressing the OK button does not close the dialog. Pressing the escape
key does close it but also reverts the setting changed. This is with NVDA
2017.4. This occurs with windows one-core as well as the built in Espeak
synth. This isn’t a complaint, just an idea. Is anyone interested or have
any feedback?
Thanks
Kendell Clark


Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows
10





--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Blogger at Hiking Across Horizons: https://bhavyashah125.wordpress.com/

Contacting Me
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@...
Follow me on Twitter @BhavyaShah125 or www.twitter.com/BhavyaShah125
Mobile Number: +91 7506221750


Re: Screen Shade/curtain?

 

In the screen reader its fine.

Now I have no issue with the feature, its not its fault if its wrongly used.

Windows likes to lower sounds a lot for things when it doesn't need to.

On that note, I am unsure if the settings dialog in skype app is the same as old skype classic but if you uncheck the control microphone and control speakers in prefferences then windows technically can't control anything at all.

The other thing is you can always have autoanswer on but thats not always good either.

On 19/12/2017 9:08 p.m., Adriani Botez wrote:
Hey,


Regarding audio ducking, it gives you access to information more confortably for example during an online conference or when you broadcast something or if you are a dj. So, yes it contributes to improve screen reading.

Best
Adriani
on meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 19.12.2017 um 08:41 schrieb Bhavya shah <bhavya.shah125@...>:

Hi all,
Instead of responding to broad points of contention by side
opposition, at this stage of the debate, I find it more rational to
take specific statements and rebut them one by one. That is precisely
what I shall be doing in this e-mail.

* “Audio ducking and speech review, braille display features and so on
are being made to to be able to read the screen in a proper way. This
means that you get the information which is being displayed on a
screen.”
Audio ducking was the example I had utilized to prove my point of the
futility of the rigid definition of a screen reader that side
opposition was previously emphasizing, so that is the example I will
be happy to defend in particular. How does audio ducking enable you to
read the contents of the screen properly in the strictest sense? Audio
ducking only lowers the volume of other computer audio, something,
that under your model and with your guiding definitions, is principly
owrong and out-of-scope for a screen reader. What side proposition is
simply stating is that audio ducking, despite playing no role in
presenting, organizing or interpreting the screen contents, and thus
failing to meet the standards of opposition’s definition of a screen
reader, is a feature that many screen readers regularly use and love.
This just goes on to validate Gene’s following statement – “I think
that, as a general guiding principle the argument that a screen-reader
should be primarily designed to provide access to content on screen is
a good guide. But it, as any other guiding principle anywhere, if
taken too rigidly, without regard to context and justification to not
always adhere to it, becomes ideology and stifles rational
development.”

* “In this case, a screen reader could also clean up your registry and
delete viruses and what not.”
No, this is a misunderstood and unaccepted extension of proposition’s
principle. This is so because registry cleaning and virus detection
are not features that in any way exclusively beneficial to a screen
reader user, the target audience of a screen reading software, a blind
person.

* “As a previous user stated, it really depends what NVDA's game plan is.”
I personally disagree. The fundamental premise of side proposition’s
case is not to compete with the others or based on the fact that a
competitor has incorporated this functionality, but the strongest
foothold of our case is the utility value of screen dimming itself.
The motion stands irrespective of “NVDA’s game plan”.
Thanks.

On 12/19/17, Arlene <nedster66@...> wrote:
I don't need either. Screen Shade or curtain. I just leave the monitor off.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Chris
Shook
Sent: December-18-17 2:08 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Screen Shade/curtain?

If all Screen shading does is blackout your screen, I don't know if it'd be
something NVDA should incorporate.
I'd rather see something more useful than an addon that just blacks out the
screen.
I understand the privacy argument, but that's only going to be useful for
laptops and tablets. With a desktop, you can leave the monitor off and
still
use the computer.
As a previous user stated, it really depends what NVDA's game plan is.
If they're trying to compete with the other screen readers, then they'll
need to add screen shading.
If they do incorporate it into the main screen reader, I'd suggest adding a
bunch of other new and useful features along with it.
Chris






--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Blogger at Hiking Across Horizons: https://bhavyashah125.wordpress.com/

Contacting Me
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@...
Follow me on Twitter @BhavyaShah125 or www.twitter.com/BhavyaShah125
Mobile Number: +91 7506221750



Re: an idea for possible new NVDA functionality

 

Joseph needs to comment on this.

Non technical version.

I don't see any reason there couldn't be another keyboard for a spaciffic board especially if you know all the codes for all the keys and what they all do reguardless of things.

It should be able to be made the file for this.

Technical.

However are there keyboard files, yoou would need a definition for the board, it wouldn't matter what was connected to it.

That all assumes that you can actually do this yourself.

Are the keyboards part of nvda itself or are they definition files.

It may be a good idea maybe that keyboards are different files so people can define their own keyboards and share them.

Most keyboards would be the same, however I do know cases where some keyboards are different.

On 19/12/2017 8:53 p.m., coffeekingms@... wrote:
Hi all
This may or may not have been discussed hear already, so hear goes. I have a vizio ct14 ultrabook. It has one of those keyboards which does not contain a number pad and it’s not possible as far as I know to emulate one by pressing fn key shortcuts. I use the laptop keyboard layout with NVDA and I like it. However, I also use a wireless keyboard when I’m away from the laptop. Would it be possible to have a separate keyboard layout for this keyboard? This doesn’t seem to be possible yet, but is anyone interested in either adding this functionality to NVDA or as an optional add on? I’m not sure if this is even possible, and if it were you’d have to detect the type of keyboard, EG USB, ps2, etc. This would allow you to have separate layouts for each keyboard you use. The reason I’m asking is because the synthesizer settings ring doesn’t seem to exist in the laptop keyboard layout. If it does, I haven’t been able to discover the keyboard shortcuts bound to it. Additionally, the voice settings dialog seems to have a bug. Opening it and changing a synthesizer setting, EG rate, and then pressing the OK button does not close the dialog. Pressing the escape key does close it but also reverts the setting changed. This is with NVDA 2017.4. This occurs with windows one-core as well as the built in Espeak synth. This isn’t a complaint, just an idea. Is anyone interested or have any feedback?
Thanks
Kendell Clark


Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10


Re: Screen Shade/curtain?

Adriani Botez
 

Hey,


Regarding audio ducking, it gives you access to information more confortably for example during an online conference or when you broadcast something or if you are a dj. So, yes it contributes to improve screen reading.

Best
Adriani
on meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 19.12.2017 um 08:41 schrieb Bhavya shah <bhavya.shah125@...>:

Hi all,
Instead of responding to broad points of contention by side
opposition, at this stage of the debate, I find it more rational to
take specific statements and rebut them one by one. That is precisely
what I shall be doing in this e-mail.

* “Audio ducking and speech review, braille display features and so on
are being made to to be able to read the screen in a proper way. This
means that you get the information which is being displayed on a
screen.”
Audio ducking was the example I had utilized to prove my point of the
futility of the rigid definition of a screen reader that side
opposition was previously emphasizing, so that is the example I will
be happy to defend in particular. How does audio ducking enable you to
read the contents of the screen properly in the strictest sense? Audio
ducking only lowers the volume of other computer audio, something,
that under your model and with your guiding definitions, is principly
owrong and out-of-scope for a screen reader. What side proposition is
simply stating is that audio ducking, despite playing no role in
presenting, organizing or interpreting the screen contents, and thus
failing to meet the standards of opposition’s definition of a screen
reader, is a feature that many screen readers regularly use and love.
This just goes on to validate Gene’s following statement – “I think
that, as a general guiding principle the argument that a screen-reader
should be primarily designed to provide access to content on screen is
a good guide. But it, as any other guiding principle anywhere, if
taken too rigidly, without regard to context and justification to not
always adhere to it, becomes ideology and stifles rational
development.”

* “In this case, a screen reader could also clean up your registry and
delete viruses and what not.”
No, this is a misunderstood and unaccepted extension of proposition’s
principle. This is so because registry cleaning and virus detection
are not features that in any way exclusively beneficial to a screen
reader user, the target audience of a screen reading software, a blind
person.

* “As a previous user stated, it really depends what NVDA's game plan is.”
I personally disagree. The fundamental premise of side proposition’s
case is not to compete with the others or based on the fact that a
competitor has incorporated this functionality, but the strongest
foothold of our case is the utility value of screen dimming itself.
The motion stands irrespective of “NVDA’s game plan”.
Thanks.

On 12/19/17, Arlene <nedster66@...> wrote:
I don't need either. Screen Shade or curtain. I just leave the monitor off.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Chris
Shook
Sent: December-18-17 2:08 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Screen Shade/curtain?

If all Screen shading does is blackout your screen, I don't know if it'd be
something NVDA should incorporate.
I'd rather see something more useful than an addon that just blacks out the
screen.
I understand the privacy argument, but that's only going to be useful for
laptops and tablets. With a desktop, you can leave the monitor off and
still
use the computer.
As a previous user stated, it really depends what NVDA's game plan is.
If they're trying to compete with the other screen readers, then they'll
need to add screen shading.
If they do incorporate it into the main screen reader, I'd suggest adding a
bunch of other new and useful features along with it.
Chris







--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Blogger at Hiking Across Horizons: https://bhavyashah125.wordpress.com/

Contacting Me
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@...
Follow me on Twitter @BhavyaShah125 or www.twitter.com/BhavyaShah125
Mobile Number: +91 7506221750



an idea for possible new NVDA functionality

coffeekingms@hotmail.com
 

Hi all

This may or may not have been discussed hear already, so hear goes. I have a vizio ct14 ultrabook. It has one of those keyboards which does not contain a number pad and it’s not possible as far as I know to emulate one by pressing fn key shortcuts. I use the laptop keyboard layout with NVDA and I like it. However, I also use a wireless keyboard when I’m away from the laptop. Would it be possible to have a separate keyboard layout for this keyboard? This doesn’t seem to be possible yet, but is anyone interested in either adding this functionality to NVDA or as an optional add on? I’m not sure if this is even possible, and if it were you’d have to detect the type of keyboard, EG USB, ps2, etc. This would allow you to have separate layouts for each keyboard you use. The reason I’m asking is because the synthesizer settings ring doesn’t seem to exist in the laptop keyboard layout. If it does, I haven’t been able to discover the keyboard shortcuts bound to it.  Additionally, the voice settings dialog seems to have a bug. Opening it and changing a synthesizer setting, EG rate, and then pressing the OK button does not close the dialog. Pressing the escape key does close it but also reverts the setting changed. This is with NVDA 2017.4. This occurs with windows one-core as well as the built in Espeak synth. This isn’t a complaint, just an idea. Is anyone interested or have any feedback?

Thanks

Kendell Clark

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


Re: Screen Shade/curtain?

Bhavya shah
 

Hi all,
Instead of responding to broad points of contention by side
opposition, at this stage of the debate, I find it more rational to
take specific statements and rebut them one by one. That is precisely
what I shall be doing in this e-mail.

* “Audio ducking and speech review, braille display features and so on
are being made to to be able to read the screen in a proper way. This
means that you get the information which is being displayed on a
screen.”
Audio ducking was the example I had utilized to prove my point of the
futility of the rigid definition of a screen reader that side
opposition was previously emphasizing, so that is the example I will
be happy to defend in particular. How does audio ducking enable you to
read the contents of the screen properly in the strictest sense? Audio
ducking only lowers the volume of other computer audio, something,
that under your model and with your guiding definitions, is principly
owrong and out-of-scope for a screen reader. What side proposition is
simply stating is that audio ducking, despite playing no role in
presenting, organizing or interpreting the screen contents, and thus
failing to meet the standards of opposition’s definition of a screen
reader, is a feature that many screen readers regularly use and love.
This just goes on to validate Gene’s following statement – “I think
that, as a general guiding principle the argument that a screen-reader
should be primarily designed to provide access to content on screen is
a good guide. But it, as any other guiding principle anywhere, if
taken too rigidly, without regard to context and justification to not
always adhere to it, becomes ideology and stifles rational
development.”

* “In this case, a screen reader could also clean up your registry and
delete viruses and what not.”
No, this is a misunderstood and unaccepted extension of proposition’s
principle. This is so because registry cleaning and virus detection
are not features that in any way exclusively beneficial to a screen
reader user, the target audience of a screen reading software, a blind
person.

* “As a previous user stated, it really depends what NVDA's game plan is.”
I personally disagree. The fundamental premise of side proposition’s
case is not to compete with the others or based on the fact that a
competitor has incorporated this functionality, but the strongest
foothold of our case is the utility value of screen dimming itself.
The motion stands irrespective of “NVDA’s game plan”.
Thanks.

On 12/19/17, Arlene <nedster66@...> wrote:
I don't need either. Screen Shade or curtain. I just leave the monitor off.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Chris
Shook
Sent: December-18-17 2:08 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Screen Shade/curtain?

If all Screen shading does is blackout your screen, I don't know if it'd be
something NVDA should incorporate.
I'd rather see something more useful than an addon that just blacks out the
screen.
I understand the privacy argument, but that's only going to be useful for
laptops and tablets. With a desktop, you can leave the monitor off and
still
use the computer.
As a previous user stated, it really depends what NVDA's game plan is.
If they're trying to compete with the other screen readers, then they'll
need to add screen shading.
If they do incorporate it into the main screen reader, I'd suggest adding a
bunch of other new and useful features along with it.
Chris






--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Blogger at Hiking Across Horizons: https://bhavyashah125.wordpress.com/

Contacting Me
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@...
Follow me on Twitter @BhavyaShah125 or www.twitter.com/BhavyaShah125
Mobile Number: +91 7506221750


Re: screen shade

Christopher-Mark Gilland <clgilland07@...>
 

Sorry, I don't follow.
---
Christopher Gilland
Co-founder of Genuine Safe Haven Ministries
 

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 1:19 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] screen shade

I'm glad this is the main concern , in your life then other things we need to accomplish.
I think we as blind peopled are slowly, making people believe, just because we are blind.
Doesn't make us brainless!
 
 
 
EMAIL:karim.lakhani@...
$$$$
SKYPE: goldenace4
$$$$
Your reputation is in the hands of others. That's what a
reputation is. You can't control that. The only thing you
can control is your character.
- Wayne Walter Dyer (1940-)
 
 
 


From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Christopher-Mark Gilland
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 7:06 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] screen shade

I totally agree! It's not just a privacy thing. What about those people who the monitor hurts their eyes? Again, yeah, just turn the monitor off, I get it, but like I said earlier, a lot of these monitors you hit a keystroke and yeah, it turns it off, but only until your next keypress, which kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion, therefore, a screenshade would be in order.
---
Christopher Gilland
Co-founder of Genuine Safe Haven Ministries
 
----- Original Message -----
From: Lenron
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 8:59 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] screen shade

Josh your argument is so invalid. Just because I want privacy does not
mean I must be up to something bad hell I just want to be able to have
my screen blank when I need it to be. I wouldn't dream of wanting to
get in the way of someone elses privacy unless I had a major reason.

On 12/18/17, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> People have a right to privacy no matter what they are doing.  If I'm
> sitting in a chair with headphones on, I have a right to privacy in my home.
>  If I'm on a bus, train, or plane, and I'm writing in my diary, or writing
> an e-mail, not intended for general viewing, I have a right to privacy.
> Privacy is not just something you have a right to or legitimately want when
> you are performing socially unacceptable actions.  If that were true, the
> very act of taking actions to safeguard your privacy could be regarded by
> the legal system as an admission of guilt or a serious indication of guilt
> about something.
>
> Gene
> ----- Original Message -----
>
> From: Karim Lakhani
> Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 6:44 PM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [nvda] screen shade
>
>
> I'm concerned how many things you all do on your computers, that you don't
> want any buddy to look at.
> How many hours in a day do you write this kind of personal data which is
> something you want to hide?
> I think looking at porn is real high usage because they can see the screen,
> it stops no one from using these acts.
> With sound a porn sight with audio would require head phones don't you
> think?
> I love the audio ducking in NVDA, because you can accomplish so much while
> using the computer and then when it's just stream the sound is at the sound
> you want.
> Marry Christmas and a happy new year.
>
> I worked at a company where co - workers who are sighted and didn't work
> directly in my group, but because I kept my screen off, and wore head phones
> they didn't think I was working.
> But I didn't let the matter go, if my eyes are getting bothered from the
> light on the monitor it was a great move.In stead of waiting for someone to
> write code to prevent this matter.
>
> Hope not all of us have to continuously write letters which no one else
> should write.
> good night!
>
>
>
> EMAIL:karim.lakhani@...
> $$$$
> SKYPE: goldenace4
> $$$$
> Your reputation is in the hands of others. That's what a
> reputation is. You can't control that. The only thing you
> can control is your character.
> - Wayne Walter Dyer (1940-)
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Josh
> Kennedy
> Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 4:32 PM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: [nvda] screen shade
>
>
> Ok about the screen shade. Why do blind people need a screen shade? And why
> do sighted people they don't need a screen shade? So why is it good for
> blind to have screen shade but not sighted? Oh and if I were a sighted
> person and you had a screen shade on, I would just pick up my smart phone
> and do some research and could figure out how to turn it off anyway. And
> what if the keyboard command for turning it on and off were spread on
> facebook and twitter? Now anybody can just come by your computer ;and turn
> the screen shade off. Or  someone could just hack the computer and use it
> screen shade or no shade, without even caring screen shade is on or off.
> Don't know why you want screen shade, but if it is for privacy? Forget it.
> If I had a blind son and I were a sighted parent and caught my blind son
> having a screen shade, I would suspect he's doing or reading stuff he should
> not. Guess what? I take the computer or phone away from him for a week or
> so. He gets punished for using screen shade.
>
>
>
>
>
> Sent from Mail for Windows 10
>
>
>
>


--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832
Skype: ron.brown762



Re: screen shade

Karim Lakhani <karim.lakhani@...>
 

I'm glad this is the main concern , in your life then other things we need to accomplish.
I think we as blind peopled are slowly, making people believe, just because we are blind.
Doesn't make us brainless!
 
 
 
EMAIL:karim.lakhani@...
$$$$
SKYPE: goldenace4
$$$$
Your reputation is in the hands of others. That's what a
reputation is. You can't control that. The only thing you
can control is your character.
- Wayne Walter Dyer (1940-)
 
 
 



From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Christopher-Mark Gilland
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 7:06 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] screen shade

I totally agree! It's not just a privacy thing. What about those people who the monitor hurts their eyes? Again, yeah, just turn the monitor off, I get it, but like I said earlier, a lot of these monitors you hit a keystroke and yeah, it turns it off, but only until your next keypress, which kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion, therefore, a screenshade would be in order.
---
Christopher Gilland
Co-founder of Genuine Safe Haven Ministries
 
----- Original Message -----
From: Lenron
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 8:59 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] screen shade

Josh your argument is so invalid. Just because I want privacy does not
mean I must be up to something bad hell I just want to be able to have
my screen blank when I need it to be. I wouldn't dream of wanting to
get in the way of someone elses privacy unless I had a major reason.

On 12/18/17, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> People have a right to privacy no matter what they are doing.  If I'm
> sitting in a chair with headphones on, I have a right to privacy in my home.
>  If I'm on a bus, train, or plane, and I'm writing in my diary, or writing
> an e-mail, not intended for general viewing, I have a right to privacy.
> Privacy is not just something you have a right to or legitimately want when
> you are performing socially unacceptable actions.  If that were true, the
> very act of taking actions to safeguard your privacy could be regarded by
> the legal system as an admission of guilt or a serious indication of guilt
> about something.
>
> Gene
> ----- Original Message -----
>
> From: Karim Lakhani
> Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 6:44 PM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [nvda] screen shade
>
>
> I'm concerned how many things you all do on your computers, that you don't
> want any buddy to look at.
> How many hours in a day do you write this kind of personal data which is
> something you want to hide?
> I think looking at porn is real high usage because they can see the screen,
> it stops no one from using these acts.
> With sound a porn sight with audio would require head phones don't you
> think?
> I love the audio ducking in NVDA, because you can accomplish so much while
> using the computer and then when it's just stream the sound is at the sound
> you want.
> Marry Christmas and a happy new year.
>
> I worked at a company where co - workers who are sighted and didn't work
> directly in my group, but because I kept my screen off, and wore head phones
> they didn't think I was working.
> But I didn't let the matter go, if my eyes are getting bothered from the
> light on the monitor it was a great move.In stead of waiting for someone to
> write code to prevent this matter.
>
> Hope not all of us have to continuously write letters which no one else
> should write.
> good night!
>
>
>
> EMAIL:karim.lakhani@...
> $$$$
> SKYPE: goldenace4
> $$$$
> Your reputation is in the hands of others. That's what a
> reputation is. You can't control that. The only thing you
> can control is your character.
> - Wayne Walter Dyer (1940-)
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Josh
> Kennedy
> Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 4:32 PM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: [nvda] screen shade
>
>
> Ok about the screen shade. Why do blind people need a screen shade? And why
> do sighted people they don't need a screen shade? So why is it good for
> blind to have screen shade but not sighted? Oh and if I were a sighted
> person and you had a screen shade on, I would just pick up my smart phone
> and do some research and could figure out how to turn it off anyway. And
> what if the keyboard command for turning it on and off were spread on
> facebook and twitter? Now anybody can just come by your computer ;and turn
> the screen shade off. Or  someone could just hack the computer and use it
> screen shade or no shade, without even caring screen shade is on or off.
> Don't know why you want screen shade, but if it is for privacy? Forget it.
> If I had a blind son and I were a sighted parent and caught my blind son
> having a screen shade, I would suspect he's doing or reading stuff he should
> not. Guess what? I take the computer or phone away from him for a week or
> so. He gets punished for using screen shade.
>
>
>
>
>
> Sent from Mail for Windows 10
>
>
>
>


--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832
Skype: ron.brown762



Re: screen shade

Karim Lakhani <karim.lakhani@...>
 

you can fight any thing what you want.
Does it get you any where because people can't see you what you are doing
on a c computer?




EMAIL:karim.lakhani@...
$$$$
SKYPE: goldenace4
$$$$
Your reputation is in the hands of others. That's what a
reputation is. You can't control that. The only thing you
can control is your character.
- Wayne Walter Dyer (1940-)

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lenron
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 6:59 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] screen shade

Josh your argument is so invalid. Just because I want privacy does not mean
I must be up to something bad hell I just want to be able to have my screen
blank when I need it to be. I wouldn't dream of wanting to get in the way
of someone elses privacy unless I had a major reason.

On 12/18/17, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
People have a right to privacy no matter what they are doing. If I'm
sitting in a chair with headphones on, I have a right to privacy in my
home.
If I'm on a bus, train, or plane, and I'm writing in my diary, or
writing an e-mail, not intended for general viewing, I have a right to
privacy.
Privacy is not just something you have a right to or legitimately want
when you are performing socially unacceptable actions. If that were
true, the very act of taking actions to safeguard your privacy could
be regarded by the legal system as an admission of guilt or a serious
indication of guilt about something.

Gene
----- Original Message -----

From: Karim Lakhani
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 6:44 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] screen shade


I'm concerned how many things you all do on your computers, that you
don't want any buddy to look at.
How many hours in a day do you write this kind of personal data which
is something you want to hide?
I think looking at porn is real high usage because they can see the
screen, it stops no one from using these acts.
With sound a porn sight with audio would require head phones don't you
think?
I love the audio ducking in NVDA, because you can accomplish so much
while using the computer and then when it's just stream the sound is
at the sound you want.
Marry Christmas and a happy new year.

I worked at a company where co - workers who are sighted and didn't
work directly in my group, but because I kept my screen off, and wore
head phones they didn't think I was working.
But I didn't let the matter go, if my eyes are getting bothered from
the light on the monitor it was a great move.In stead of waiting for
someone to write code to prevent this matter.

Hope not all of us have to continuously write letters which no one
else should write.
good night!



EMAIL:karim.lakhani@...
$$$$
SKYPE: goldenace4
$$$$
Your reputation is in the hands of others. That's what a reputation
is. You can't control that. The only thing you can control is your
character.
- Wayne Walter Dyer (1940-)






----------------------------------------------------------------------
----------
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Josh Kennedy
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 4:32 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] screen shade


Ok about the screen shade. Why do blind people need a screen shade?
And why do sighted people they don't need a screen shade? So why is it
good for blind to have screen shade but not sighted? Oh and if I were
a sighted person and you had a screen shade on, I would just pick up
my smart phone and do some research and could figure out how to turn
it off anyway. And what if the keyboard command for turning it on and
off were spread on facebook and twitter? Now anybody can just come by
your computer ;and turn the screen shade off. Or someone could just
hack the computer and use it screen shade or no shade, without even
caring screen shade is on or off.
Don't know why you want screen shade, but if it is for privacy? Forget
it.
If I had a blind son and I were a sighted parent and caught my blind
son having a screen shade, I would suspect he's doing or reading stuff
he should not. Guess what? I take the computer or phone away from him
for a week or so. He gets punished for using screen shade.





Sent from Mail for Windows 10




--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832
Skype: ron.brown762


Enabling Thunderbird to indicate new lines when using arrow keys

Sam Taylor
 

Hi,

Does anybody know of a way to force Thunderbird, when reading a received message, to notify you of new lines if using left or right arrow keys to track through text?

It currently ignores any carriage returns and acts as if there are none present.

Thanks

Sam



Re: screen shade

Bhavya shah
 

Hi Josh,
On the basis of my comprehension, there are two points of information
(questions are termed POIs in debates) that I have succeeded in
discerning from your message that haven’t already been responded to
and totally refuted by side proposition, both of which shall be dealt
with individually:

Question: Why does a blind computer user require screen dimming and
not his/her sighted counterpart?
Answer: A sighted person has the ability of remaining vigilant about
the presence of humans in his surroundings by keeping a watch, whereas
a blind person does not have the privilege to constantly monitor his
environment for human presence. In order to bridge this gap, what
screen dimming essentially does is switches off the display monitor
itself deeming any sighted individual incapable of tracking the blind
user’s computer activities surreptitiously by simply looking at the
screen. Screen dimming makes perfect sense because it renders the
sighted spy helpless while it, in no way, hampers the productivity or
computer usage of the speech or Braille dependent visually impaired
screen reader user. Thus, side proposition reiterates that screen
dimming is an adaptation for attaining local privacy specifically
required by and only practically possible for a blind computer user.

Question: What if the keyboard shortcut to darken the display was
known by the owner of prying eyes, i.e. the sighted spy?
Answer: Firstly, side proposition finds this hypothesis quite bizarre
and unrealistic. But even if we agree to the assumption that the
sighted spy could potentially be aware of the default screen reader
key command for toggling the screen shade, we argue that the blind
user can always circumvent this by modifying the default keyboard
shortcut to something less accident-prone and more convoluted, and
most importantly, something different and thus indeterminable for the
sighted spy by any amount of online research.

Having established that, I would like to express my concurrence with
Gene’s evidence demonstrating the legitimacy of the right to privacy,
and believe that side proposition has sufficiently addressed that
point of contention as well.
Thanks.

On 12/19/17, Christopher-Mark Gilland <@AHeart4God316> wrote:
I totally agree! It's not just a privacy thing. What about those people who
the monitor hurts their eyes? Again, yeah, just turn the monitor off, I get
it, but like I said earlier, a lot of these monitors you hit a keystroke and
yeah, it turns it off, but only until your next keypress, which kind of
defeats the purpose in my opinion, therefore, a screenshade would be in
order.
---
Christopher Gilland
Co-founder of Genuine Safe Haven Ministries

http://www.gshministry.org
(980) 500-9575
----- Original Message -----
From: Lenron
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 8:59 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] screen shade


Josh your argument is so invalid. Just because I want privacy does not
mean I must be up to something bad hell I just want to be able to have
my screen blank when I need it to be. I wouldn't dream of wanting to
get in the way of someone elses privacy unless I had a major reason.

On 12/18/17, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> People have a right to privacy no matter what they are doing. If I'm
> sitting in a chair with headphones on, I have a right to privacy in my
home.
> If I'm on a bus, train, or plane, and I'm writing in my diary, or
writing
> an e-mail, not intended for general viewing, I have a right to privacy.
> Privacy is not just something you have a right to or legitimately want
when
> you are performing socially unacceptable actions. If that were true,
the
> very act of taking actions to safeguard your privacy could be regarded
by
> the legal system as an admission of guilt or a serious indication of
guilt
> about something.
>
> Gene
> ----- Original Message -----
>
> From: Karim Lakhani
> Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 6:44 PM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [nvda] screen shade
>
>
> I'm concerned how many things you all do on your computers, that you
don't
> want any buddy to look at.
> How many hours in a day do you write this kind of personal data which
is
> something you want to hide?
> I think looking at porn is real high usage because they can see the
screen,
> it stops no one from using these acts.
> With sound a porn sight with audio would require head phones don't you
> think?
> I love the audio ducking in NVDA, because you can accomplish so much
while
> using the computer and then when it's just stream the sound is at the
sound
> you want.
> Marry Christmas and a happy new year.
>
> I worked at a company where co - workers who are sighted and didn't
work
> directly in my group, but because I kept my screen off, and wore head
phones
> they didn't think I was working.
> But I didn't let the matter go, if my eyes are getting bothered from
the
> light on the monitor it was a great move.In stead of waiting for someone
to
> write code to prevent this matter.
>
> Hope not all of us have to continuously write letters which no one else
> should write.
> good night!
>
>
>
> EMAIL:karim.lakhani@...
> $$$$
> SKYPE: goldenace4
> $$$$
> Your reputation is in the hands of others. That's what a
> reputation is. You can't control that. The only thing you
> can control is your character.
> - Wayne Walter Dyer (1940-)
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Josh
> Kennedy
> Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 4:32 PM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: [nvda] screen shade
>
>
> Ok about the screen shade. Why do blind people need a screen shade? And
why
> do sighted people they don't need a screen shade? So why is it good for
> blind to have screen shade but not sighted? Oh and if I were a sighted
> person and you had a screen shade on, I would just pick up my smart
phone
> and do some research and could figure out how to turn it off anyway.
And
> what if the keyboard command for turning it on and off were spread on
> facebook and twitter? Now anybody can just come by your computer ;and
turn
> the screen shade off. Or someone could just hack the computer and use
it
> screen shade or no shade, without even caring screen shade is on or
off.
> Don't know why you want screen shade, but if it is for privacy? Forget
it.
> If I had a blind son and I were a sighted parent and caught my blind
son
> having a screen shade, I would suspect he's doing or reading stuff he
should
> not. Guess what? I take the computer or phone away from him for a week
or
> so. He gets punished for using screen shade.
>
>
>
>
>
> Sent from Mail for Windows 10
>
>
>
>


--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832
Skype: ron.brown762


--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Blogger at Hiking Across Horizons: https://bhavyashah125.wordpress.com/

Contacting Me
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@...
Follow me on Twitter @BhavyaShah125 or www.twitter.com/BhavyaShah125
Mobile Number: +91 7506221750


Microsoft Word 2016 spell checker and NVDA reading.

Daniele Casarola
 

Hi! I'm Daniele from Italy.
Since few weeks ago, when I pressed F7 on my Word 2016, this is what happened:
- The wrong word is highlighted.
- NVDA reads the wrong word and also reads it letter by letter

Then I simply press TAB to choose what to do: to ignore, to add to the dictionary or press ESC and correct by hand. This is the case of orthographic error.
In case of a grammar error, once pressed F7, something similar happened:
- The whole sentence is highlighted.
- NVDA reads the wrong word
- Again reads it also letter by letter
- Also reads all the sentence which contains the wrong word.
- Then I simply press TAB to choose what to do.

The workflow I've described above, doesn't happen any more. I don't know why.
Now, once pressed F7, NVDA doesn't read automatically all the useful informations it reads before.

Now once pressed F7 this is what happens:
- the wrong word is highlighted.
- NVDA reades "Ignore this time", which is the first selected option on the SpellChecker window.

That's all.

Also the SpellChecker window interface is a little bit different than before. Not to much but a little bit.
Can you help me to understand if I've accidently changed some options? Or maybe some updates?

The previous way was really comfortable.
Thank you very much.

Daniele.


Re: screen shade

Christopher-Mark Gilland <clgilland07@...>
 


I totally agree! It's not just a privacy thing. What about those people who the monitor hurts their eyes? Again, yeah, just turn the monitor off, I get it, but like I said earlier, a lot of these monitors you hit a keystroke and yeah, it turns it off, but only until your next keypress, which kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion, therefore, a screenshade would be in order.
---
Christopher Gilland
Co-founder of Genuine Safe Haven Ministries
 

----- Original Message -----
From: Lenron
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 8:59 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] screen shade

Josh your argument is so invalid. Just because I want privacy does not
mean I must be up to something bad hell I just want to be able to have
my screen blank when I need it to be. I wouldn't dream of wanting to
get in the way of someone elses privacy unless I had a major reason.

On 12/18/17, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> People have a right to privacy no matter what they are doing.  If I'm
> sitting in a chair with headphones on, I have a right to privacy in my home.
>  If I'm on a bus, train, or plane, and I'm writing in my diary, or writing
> an e-mail, not intended for general viewing, I have a right to privacy.
> Privacy is not just something you have a right to or legitimately want when
> you are performing socially unacceptable actions.  If that were true, the
> very act of taking actions to safeguard your privacy could be regarded by
> the legal system as an admission of guilt or a serious indication of guilt
> about something.
>
> Gene
> ----- Original Message -----
>
> From: Karim Lakhani
> Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 6:44 PM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [nvda] screen shade
>
>
> I'm concerned how many things you all do on your computers, that you don't
> want any buddy to look at.
> How many hours in a day do you write this kind of personal data which is
> something you want to hide?
> I think looking at porn is real high usage because they can see the screen,
> it stops no one from using these acts.
> With sound a porn sight with audio would require head phones don't you
> think?
> I love the audio ducking in NVDA, because you can accomplish so much while
> using the computer and then when it's just stream the sound is at the sound
> you want.
> Marry Christmas and a happy new year.
>
> I worked at a company where co - workers who are sighted and didn't work
> directly in my group, but because I kept my screen off, and wore head phones
> they didn't think I was working.
> But I didn't let the matter go, if my eyes are getting bothered from the
> light on the monitor it was a great move.In stead of waiting for someone to
> write code to prevent this matter.
>
> Hope not all of us have to continuously write letters which no one else
> should write.
> good night!
>
>
>
> EMAIL:karim.lakhani@...
> $$$$
> SKYPE: goldenace4
> $$$$
> Your reputation is in the hands of others. That's what a
> reputation is. You can't control that. The only thing you
> can control is your character.
> - Wayne Walter Dyer (1940-)
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Josh
> Kennedy
> Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 4:32 PM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: [nvda] screen shade
>
>
> Ok about the screen shade. Why do blind people need a screen shade? And why
> do sighted people they don't need a screen shade? So why is it good for
> blind to have screen shade but not sighted? Oh and if I were a sighted
> person and you had a screen shade on, I would just pick up my smart phone
> and do some research and could figure out how to turn it off anyway. And
> what if the keyboard command for turning it on and off were spread on
> facebook and twitter? Now anybody can just come by your computer ;and turn
> the screen shade off. Or  someone could just hack the computer and use it
> screen shade or no shade, without even caring screen shade is on or off.
> Don't know why you want screen shade, but if it is for privacy? Forget it.
> If I had a blind son and I were a sighted parent and caught my blind son
> having a screen shade, I would suspect he's doing or reading stuff he should
> not. Guess what? I take the computer or phone away from him for a week or
> so. He gets punished for using screen shade.
>
>
>
>
>
> Sent from Mail for Windows 10
>
>
>
>


--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832
Skype: ron.brown762



Re: screen shade

Lenron
 

Josh your argument is so invalid. Just because I want privacy does not
mean I must be up to something bad hell I just want to be able to have
my screen blank when I need it to be. I wouldn't dream of wanting to
get in the way of someone elses privacy unless I had a major reason.

On 12/18/17, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
People have a right to privacy no matter what they are doing. If I'm
sitting in a chair with headphones on, I have a right to privacy in my home.
If I'm on a bus, train, or plane, and I'm writing in my diary, or writing
an e-mail, not intended for general viewing, I have a right to privacy.
Privacy is not just something you have a right to or legitimately want when
you are performing socially unacceptable actions. If that were true, the
very act of taking actions to safeguard your privacy could be regarded by
the legal system as an admission of guilt or a serious indication of guilt
about something.

Gene
----- Original Message -----

From: Karim Lakhani
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 6:44 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] screen shade


I'm concerned how many things you all do on your computers, that you don't
want any buddy to look at.
How many hours in a day do you write this kind of personal data which is
something you want to hide?
I think looking at porn is real high usage because they can see the screen,
it stops no one from using these acts.
With sound a porn sight with audio would require head phones don't you
think?
I love the audio ducking in NVDA, because you can accomplish so much while
using the computer and then when it's just stream the sound is at the sound
you want.
Marry Christmas and a happy new year.

I worked at a company where co - workers who are sighted and didn't work
directly in my group, but because I kept my screen off, and wore head phones
they didn't think I was working.
But I didn't let the matter go, if my eyes are getting bothered from the
light on the monitor it was a great move.In stead of waiting for someone to
write code to prevent this matter.

Hope not all of us have to continuously write letters which no one else
should write.
good night!



EMAIL:karim.lakhani@...
$$$$
SKYPE: goldenace4
$$$$
Your reputation is in the hands of others. That's what a
reputation is. You can't control that. The only thing you
can control is your character.
- Wayne Walter Dyer (1940-)






--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Josh
Kennedy
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 4:32 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] screen shade


Ok about the screen shade. Why do blind people need a screen shade? And why
do sighted people they don't need a screen shade? So why is it good for
blind to have screen shade but not sighted? Oh and if I were a sighted
person and you had a screen shade on, I would just pick up my smart phone
and do some research and could figure out how to turn it off anyway. And
what if the keyboard command for turning it on and off were spread on
facebook and twitter? Now anybody can just come by your computer ;and turn
the screen shade off. Or someone could just hack the computer and use it
screen shade or no shade, without even caring screen shade is on or off.
Don't know why you want screen shade, but if it is for privacy? Forget it.
If I had a blind son and I were a sighted parent and caught my blind son
having a screen shade, I would suspect he's doing or reading stuff he should
not. Guess what? I take the computer or phone away from him for a week or
so. He gets punished for using screen shade.





Sent from Mail for Windows 10



--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832
Skype: ron.brown762


Re: screen shade

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>
 

Hi rick


That is the funniest thing i have read all day.


I am just using mozilla thunderbird and would have to check but it is in html and you would be the first to say that.


I could understand it if you some how turned your stuff you are viewing the normal way on its side or up side down with a keystroke. I have done that before for some reason sighted people do not like it that way i did not know until it was pointed out.

I just used the pc as normal.


You will have to try and catch the log if you can but me sure under general settings it is set to debug and not info. it is found under logging level.

make sure you save your settings.



It might be your power suppy over heating or going fault.

Or the processor getting to hot and rebooting.


Gene nz


I guess you would be the first on the list to have that bug. I do not think the digital signature would do it either.


Gene nz



On 12/19/2017 1:36 PM, ely.r@... wrote:

Jean in New Zealand and the group in general,

This is the strangest thing I have seen in email. Using Outlook 2016/365, Windows 10 and Newest NVDA, every time I try to open a message from Jean, outlook goes belly up. Sometimes it will do a self-restart, other times I have to start it. Now it could be that Jean’s messages are simply upside down given where they are originating. I have tried turning my monitor and my tower upside down to accommodate, but no luck! Seriously, the event is real, and I don’t get any sort of warning or error message. Has anyone out there seen this? If so, please let me know if you found a fix.

Apologies Jean and thanks anyone,

Rick

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene New Zealand
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 1:12 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] screen shade

 

I agree with you.

I have not seen a sighted person use a device with the screen off on any device.

You ask any sighted person to use the computer with say sound and only the screen reader and the screen turned off and they are lost.

I my self would not even do any type of banking or sensitive stuff on a public computer just because of security I would want to hope it was really locked down.
And that would be even with a blacked out screen.
I would still not go there on public terminal.
 
Been in a home situation I would not have a need for it who is going to look my wife? or may be people just do not want people to know they could be looking at one of those .aughty websites.

  At home off goes the button on the monitor and then the wife if she wants it just turns it on.


Gene nz

On 12/19/2017 2:03 AM, ely.r@... wrote:

Good idea!

I have to wonder what people are writing on their computers in what I assume is a public area that they do not want others to see. If someone has full vision, one would assume that they have their screen turned on so they can both read and write. If so, then it is likely that they will not be writing highly sensitive things that others might see as they walk by. Sorry if this seems insensitive, but. . .

Rick

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Josh Kennedy
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 7:53 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] screen shade

 

Instead of screen shade. Get a black piece of paper and put it over your screen. And voila, nobody can see your screen at all.

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

 

--

Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.


--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.