Date   
Re: changing my email on the vocalizer expressive site

mohammad suliman
 

Hello Afik,
If you purchased your license from teflotecnia, I think it's a good idea to contact  Rui Fontes, he is supposed to help with this. Here is his Email:
have a nice day!
Mohammad

On Sat, 23 Nov 2019 at 12:09, Afik Souffir <afik.souffir@...> wrote:

Hi,

 

I tried to change my  email address on the vocalizer expressive site for NVDA, after upgrading to vocalizer expressive 3.0, but didn't find an option.

 

Help will be appreciated

 

 

Afik Souffir

 

changing my email on the vocalizer expressive site

Afik Souffir <afik.souffir@...>
 

Hi,

 

I tried to change my  email address on the vocalizer expressive site for NVDA, after upgrading to vocalizer expressive 3.0, but didn't find an option.

 

Help will be appreciated

 

 

Afik Souffir

 

Braille displays missing from "Braille Display" combo box

Nicolai Svendsen
 

Hi!

I never paid attention to this until I actually had to use it with another display. Hopefully someone else has had this happen and has a fix.

I have a BrailleSensePolaris, and have to use it with NVDA. I've gone ahead and installed the driver so I can use it via USB as well (HIMS link in users guide seems broken, at least I got nothing out of that), and it refuses to show up. In fact, displays like Freedom Scientific aren't showing up either, even though I've used it with other software before. Weirdly, I grabbed a laptop at work with nothing but clean Windows 10 1909, launched NVDA, and more displays showed up on that particular computer than has been the case on the one I am currently using, even without me installing anything else except NVDA.

What gives? Not seeing HIMS at all, in fact. Display pairs fine with Bluetooth, NVDA just doesn't show it. Running NVDA 2019.2.1. I see another thread on this exact issue a year ago, and no solution was forthcoming in that topic.

Nicolai

Re: Audio editors

Gene
 

I can do some of these things but I havven’t learned all of them, having no use for them myself.  Unfortunately, it appears I may not be able to help.
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2019 5:22 PM
Subject: [nvda] Audio editors
 

Dear all,

 

we are still in process of audio editing of NVDACon sessions and realized we need help to finish the work as fast as possible.

 

If you are familiar with normalizing volume, labeling, removing crackling noise, removing echo and improving audio quality in general, please write me an email and I will send you files which still need editing.

Note that I will send raw flac files to avoid quality losses.

 

If you want to have an impression of the quality that we would like to have, here is a link where you can find the finalized files so far.

 

https://derekriemer.com/nvdacon/finished/

 

Best regards

Adriani

 

Audio editors

Adriani Botez
 

Dear all,

 

we are still in process of audio editing of NVDACon sessions and realized we need help to finish the work as fast as possible.

 

If you are familiar with normalizing volume, labeling, removing crackling noise, removing echo and improving audio quality in general, please write me an email and I will send you files which still need editing.

Note that I will send raw flac files to avoid quality losses.

 

If you want to have an impression of the quality that we would like to have, here is a link where you can find the finalized files so far.

 

https://derekriemer.com/nvdacon/finished/

 

Best regards

Adriani

 

Re: Broken file list in open/save dialogs?

Damien Garwood
 

Hi Richard,
That worked. Thanks.
The interesting thing there is, QWS has a prompt in the installer asking if you wanted it to be the default program to open MIDI files. I said yes, but it didn't work. Hence the reason I never tried the "open with" setting. So that obviously has a different way of associating files. That's a handy tip to know. Thanks.
Cheers,
Damien.

On 22/11/2019 10:36 pm, Richard Wells wrote:
Another way to work around it is to browse to the .mid file with File
Explorer and open it in QWS that way. If you don't have QWS set as your
default midi editor, use the open with dialog to open the file in QWS.
This is my way of getting things done when NVDA doesn't read what I need.
On 11/21/2019 10:44 AM, Damien Garwood wrote:
Hi Richard,
Very interesting. Yesterday after the update is the first time I have
ever experienced this problem with QWS, though not the first time I
have experienced it at all.
When I read the current line, all I get is, "items view".
Cheers,
Damien.

On 21/11/2019 04:12 pm, Richard Wells wrote:
This was a problem with QWS and NVDA previous to Windows 10 1909. I work
around it by reading current line when navigating.

On 11/20/2019 1:00 PM, Damien Garwood wrote:
Hi sarah,
I experience the problem in QWS.
Cheers,
Damien.

On 20/11/2019 06:54 pm, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
For which program are you experienceing trouble?

Take care

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.
<http://www.tffppodcast.com> This is also our libsyn page as well.

to subscribe to the feed click here <http://feeds.feedburner.com/tffp>

Our telegram <https://t.me/tffppodcast> channel is also a good place
for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

Our discord <https://discord.gg/fr7MaVK> is where you will know when
we go live on youtube, twitch and mixer. Thanks Restream staff.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here
<Http://patreon.com/tffppodcast>

On 20 Nov 2019, at 10:43, Damien Garwood wrote:

    Hi,
    For some reason, I'm struggling to access the files and folders
list
    of a standard open/save dialog. Even more strangely, it's only in
    one program. This has only started happening today, since I
updated
    Windows 10 from 1809 to 1909.
    When I try to access the list, all I get from NVDA is: "Items view
    list". Any attempt to move up and down the list results in
silence,
    and any attempt to move back to parent directories results in a
    repeat of "items view list".
    Has anyone got any ideas as to why this might be happening, or how
    to fix it?
    Cheers.
    Damien.




Issue With Word from 365 Edition

Ron Canazzi
 

Hi Group,

The go to page feature in Microsoft Word from the 365 version seems to be broken.

If you press control + G you are placed in the edit field for page number.  If you then type the page number and tab to and click Go to button, nothing changes. You are still at the top of the document.

Has anyone else seen this and is there a fix?

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Re: Broken file list in open/save dialogs?

Richard Wells
 

Another way to work around it is to browse to the .mid file with File
Explorer and open it in QWS that way. If you don't have QWS set as your
default midi editor, use the open with dialog to open the file in QWS.
This is my way of getting things done when NVDA doesn't read what I need.

On 11/21/2019 10:44 AM, Damien Garwood wrote:
Hi Richard,
Very interesting. Yesterday after the update is the first time I have
ever experienced this problem with QWS, though not the first time I
have experienced it at all.
When I read the current line, all I get is, "items view".
Cheers,
Damien.

On 21/11/2019 04:12 pm, Richard Wells wrote:
This was a problem with QWS and NVDA previous to Windows 10 1909. I work
around it by reading current line when navigating.

On 11/20/2019 1:00 PM, Damien Garwood wrote:
Hi sarah,
I experience the problem in QWS.
Cheers,
Damien.

On 20/11/2019 06:54 pm, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
For which program are you experienceing trouble?

Take care

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.
<http://www.tffppodcast.com> This is also our libsyn page as well.

to subscribe to the feed click here <http://feeds.feedburner.com/tffp>

Our telegram <https://t.me/tffppodcast> channel is also a good place
for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

Our discord <https://discord.gg/fr7MaVK> is where you will know when
we go live on youtube, twitch and mixer. Thanks Restream staff.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here
<Http://patreon.com/tffppodcast>

On 20 Nov 2019, at 10:43, Damien Garwood wrote:

    Hi,
    For some reason, I'm struggling to access the files and folders
list
    of a standard open/save dialog. Even more strangely, it's only in
    one program. This has only started happening today, since I
updated
    Windows 10 from 1809 to 1909.
    When I try to access the list, all I get from NVDA is: "Items view
    list". Any attempt to move up and down the list results in
silence,
    and any attempt to move back to parent directories results in a
    repeat of "items view list".
    Has anyone got any ideas as to why this might be happening, or how
    to fix it?
    Cheers.
    Damien.



Re: gold wave

anthony borg
 

Thank very much gene for the link.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 22 November 2019 05:08
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] gold wave

 

Here is a link to the tutorial I did many years ago about using MP3 Direct Cut. 

 

This is the second half of a presentation I did for Accessible World.  The first half is for Audacity and is not included here.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Gene

Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2019 12:50 PM

Subject: Re: [nvda] gold wave

 

I will send you later, I don't have time now, a tutorial I did on MP3 Direct cut a number of years ago.  it should all or almost all still apply. 

 

Gene 
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2019 12:39 PM

Subject: Re: [nvda] gold wave

 

Hi gene

Can you please explain to me how load mp3 direct cut and how to use it fully?

Thanks in advance

Anthony

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 21 November 2019 16:30
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] gold wave

 

What do you want to do with the program?  You may or may not find that Goldwave is the best for what you want to do. Its always recommended by a lot of people, when someone asks for a recording program, but that doesn't mean it’s the best choice for you.  For example, if all you want to do is record and edit MP3 files, MP3 direct Cut is a much better choice. 

 

Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2019 4:25 AM

Subject: [nvda] gold wave

 

Hi folks
Can somebody explain to me how to use gold wave or if there is any tutorial
please?
Thanks in advance

Anthony

CAT Tools and NVDA

Bianka Brankovic
 

Hello list,

 

last week at NVDACon I heard someone mention he is using the CAT Tool Fluency with NVDA.

 

At the moment, I am looking into accessible CAT tools (Computer Aided Translation). As my preferred screen reader is NVDA, I would like to ask for people’s experiences with Fluency or Memcate and other CAT Tools.  

 

As this is going to be off topic pretty soon please contact me off list.

 

Thanks and kind regards,

 

Bianka

 

 

Re: Helping the Con team. Was: Re: [nvda] NVDACon, recordings and my handout

 

i think we have got lots of recorders.
but we need atleast 1 more editor for next years conference.

On 11/22/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
See this page for verification.
https://lifehacker.com/mp3directcut-edits-your-mp3-files-without-decompression-5128814

Gene
----- Original Message -----

From: Gene
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2019 7:00 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: Helping the Con team. Was: Re: [nvda] NVDACon, recordings and
my handout


Not if you use MP3 Direct Cut, which edits and changes the same file without
reencoding it, which is why I specifically specified MP3 direct cut. That
is one of the reasons some people use that program, so they can alter MP3
files without loss of quality.

I haven't looked for documentation, but I'm sure I can document that MP3
Direct cut allows for alterations with no quality loss..

Gene
----- Original Message -----

From: Luke Davis
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2019 6:52 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: Helping the Con team. Was: Re: [nvda] NVDACon, recordings and
my handout


On Thu, 21 Nov 2019, Gene wrote:

I don't know what audio work you are looking for. I am an excellent
editor and I do other typical things such as equalize files. I assume you
are working
with MP3 files and I use MP3 Direct cut so I can edit and save the edited
versions of files with no loss of quality.
No offense intended Gene, and I don't want to spawn an audio discussion, but
I
had to address that. If you do anything other than cut an MP3 file--if you
equalize it, if you do some compression, if you do volume normalization or
balancing, or anything else that actually alters audio--and then save it as

another MP3 file, there will be a loss of quality. Especially if you do any

intermediate saves. MP3 is a lossy format, and any time you convert to 32
bit
floating point PCM in order to work on it, which as far as I know all audio

editors do internally, and then save it back out, there is further loss
during
the down-conversion to MP3.

The only way to work on audio with no loss of quality (by work, I mean do
anything beyond cutting out sections which does not have to re-encode), is
to
work on the original wave files if available, but in any case to always save

intermediate steps in a native uncompressed format.
Every time you edit and re-save an MP3,, you are making a slightly more
blurry
copy of an already blurry copy. That is why exporting to MP3 is the very
absolute last step of any mastering operation.

Okay, that's drifting significantly, but I felt like it needed to be pointed

out.

Luke






--
search for me on facebook, google+, orkut..
@austin
follow me on twitter.
austinmpinto
contact me on skype.
austin.pinto3

Re: Nvda problem in Word

 

I have found that office can sometimes corrupt itself.

At first glance try a quick repair of office from programs and features.

That usually gets it working.

If not, try a full repair.

You will need to reenter your activation again or key but it should be fine.

If you have used the old file converter pack note that past 2010 version of office it may not work.

office 2013 will probably still work but anything over that and you can forget it.



On 22/11/2019 2:54 pm, Quentin Christensen wrote:
I can't think of a reason for this happening, but a couple of things to possibly try:
1. Is it happening in all Word documents?  IF you create a blank document, type a line of text and arrow through it, does it recur?
2. If you've recently updated anything (NVDA, Office, Windows, etc), try going to the Windows shut down menu and restarting Windows.
3. Try restarting NVDA with add-ons disabled.  Press NVDA+Q then down arrow to "Restart NVDA with add-ons disabled" and press ENTER" (as others have speculated, that may be what was meant by accessories being disabled, but I thought I'd mention it just in case).

If neither of those help, if you could send info@... the following:

1) Description of the problem and your system (Versions of Windows, Office, NVDA etc)
2) A debug log of the issue: Press NVDA+control+g to open the general options and TAB to "log level".  Set this to "Debug" and press OK.  Recreate the issue in Word, then press NVDA+F1 to open the log viewer, press control+a to select all, control+c to copy, go back to your email and press control+v to paste it into the email to us.
3) If you can attach the Word document it is occuring in, we can have a look at that.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 6:32 PM Jarek.Krcmar <Jarek.Krcmar@...> wrote:
Hi group,

a friend of mine has a problem in word.

Here is, what he wrote:


Hello fans. With NVDA I have a problem when moving in Word. When I open
a document and start to move it letter by letter, word by word, by
sentence or paragraph by paragraph, and NVDA often reads text twice.
E.g. when I move the letters and say, need space, so sometimes when you
press the left or right arrow tells the gap again, even if there is
already another character. When you press the keyboard shortcut that
reads a character on which the navigator object within the review
cursor, to the sign reads. Or when you press the left and right arrow so
it repeats the letter, which was the first down arrow. Do you know what
it could be? I tried to run NVDA and accessories are prohibited, but it
did not help. I have Microsoft Office 2013 and NVDA 2019.2. Michal health.

--
Jarek






--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Re: Inquiry about 2019.3

Gene
 

I suspect that the reason Microsoft and Apple both are having the problems they are is because both have stodk-holders to appease and the market has been increasingly obsessed with short-term profits over time in recent decades.  Obviously, and I'm pointing this out as a rhetorical statement, NVDA doesn't have such pressure.
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
From: Mary Otten
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2019 8:37 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Inquiry about 2019.3

You are to be commended for your approach to software development. The total debacle represented by the early release of IOS 13 ought to be a good enough example of why not to stick to arbitrary dates for release of a product before it is ready.


Mary

On 11/21/2019 6:23 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
Hi Robert,

As Luke said, 2019.3 is not yet in beta, so it will be at least a few weeks.  As we have always said, we'd rather put out something which is stable, than try to stick to an arbitrary timeline.  This next release will be quite a big one - as well as the usual slew of new features and bug fixes (and there are quite a few) there is a lot of behind-the-scenes work in this one, as Luke mentioned.  It has meant that add-ons have needed to be updated, and we have been, and continue to, work with add-on developers to ensure that everything runs as smoothly as possible for users (and for the record, the NVDA Remote developers have now been in touch about updating NVDA Remote).

If you are interested in testing what is scheduled for the next version, you can always try our latest alpha build: https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/snapshots/  It is pre-release software, so it's probably worth leaving 2019.2.1 installed and using the alpha as a portable or temporary copy to test out, just in case things don't work perfectly.  If you do try the alpha builds and have any feedback, it is always welcome, either via email or on GitHub: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 10:25 AM Robert Mendoza <lowvisiontek@...> wrote:
Hi, its been a quite while for now
I never read anything about with the stable build of 2019.3
I may ask what is the timeline should be wait for the update. Thanks.






--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Re: gold wave

Gene
 

Here is a link to the tutorial I did many years ago about using MP3 Direct Cut. 
 
This is the second half of a presentation I did for Accessible World.  The first half is for Audacity and is not included here.
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
From: Gene
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2019 12:50 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] gold wave

I will send you later, I don't have time now, a tutorial I did on MP3 Direct cut a number of years ago.  it should all or almost all still apply. 
 
Gene 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2019 12:39 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] gold wave

Hi gene

Can you please explain to me how load mp3 direct cut and how to use it fully?

Thanks in advance

Anthony

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 21 November 2019 16:30
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] gold wave

 

What do you want to do with the program?  You may or may not find that Goldwave is the best for what you want to do. Its always recommended by a lot of people, when someone asks for a recording program, but that doesn't mean it’s the best choice for you.  For example, if all you want to do is record and edit MP3 files, MP3 direct Cut is a much better choice. 

 

From: anthony borg

Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2019 4:25 AM

Subject: [nvda] gold wave

 

Hi folks
Can somebody explain to me how to use gold wave or if there is any tutorial
please?
Thanks in advance

Anthony


Re: Inquiry about 2019.3

Mary Otten
 

You are to be commended for your approach to software development. The total debacle represented by the early release of IOS 13 ought to be a good enough example of why not to stick to arbitrary dates for release of a product before it is ready.


Mary

On 11/21/2019 6:23 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
Hi Robert,

As Luke said, 2019.3 is not yet in beta, so it will be at least a few weeks.  As we have always said, we'd rather put out something which is stable, than try to stick to an arbitrary timeline.  This next release will be quite a big one - as well as the usual slew of new features and bug fixes (and there are quite a few) there is a lot of behind-the-scenes work in this one, as Luke mentioned.  It has meant that add-ons have needed to be updated, and we have been, and continue to, work with add-on developers to ensure that everything runs as smoothly as possible for users (and for the record, the NVDA Remote developers have now been in touch about updating NVDA Remote).

If you are interested in testing what is scheduled for the next version, you can always try our latest alpha build: https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/snapshots/  It is pre-release software, so it's probably worth leaving 2019.2.1 installed and using the alpha as a portable or temporary copy to test out, just in case things don't work perfectly.  If you do try the alpha builds and have any feedback, it is always welcome, either via email or on GitHub: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 10:25 AM Robert Mendoza <lowvisiontek@...> wrote:
Hi, its been a quite while for now
I never read anything about with the stable build of 2019.3
I may ask what is the timeline should be wait for the update. Thanks.






--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Re: Inquiry about 2019.3

Quentin Christensen
 

Hi Robert,

As Luke said, 2019.3 is not yet in beta, so it will be at least a few weeks.  As we have always said, we'd rather put out something which is stable, than try to stick to an arbitrary timeline.  This next release will be quite a big one - as well as the usual slew of new features and bug fixes (and there are quite a few) there is a lot of behind-the-scenes work in this one, as Luke mentioned.  It has meant that add-ons have needed to be updated, and we have been, and continue to, work with add-on developers to ensure that everything runs as smoothly as possible for users (and for the record, the NVDA Remote developers have now been in touch about updating NVDA Remote).

If you are interested in testing what is scheduled for the next version, you can always try our latest alpha build: https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/snapshots/  It is pre-release software, so it's probably worth leaving 2019.2.1 installed and using the alpha as a portable or temporary copy to test out, just in case things don't work perfectly.  If you do try the alpha builds and have any feedback, it is always welcome, either via email or on GitHub: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 10:25 AM Robert Mendoza <lowvisiontek@...> wrote:
Hi, its been a quite while for now
I never read anything about with the stable build of 2019.3
I may ask what is the timeline should be wait for the update. Thanks.






--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Re: Reading Margin Comments in Word with NVDA

Quentin Christensen
 

If you are using WordPad, NVDA doesn't have the browse mode functionality it has in Word.  I'm not even sure if WordPad can display document comments.

Check whether your document is open in Word or Wordpad.  Certainly, all those other things such as Firefox updates won't affect Word, WordPad or NVDA (outside Firefox itself).

Regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 4:08 AM David Russell <david.sonofhashem@...> wrote:
Hi Group,

I recently accepted the latest update from FireFox. In MS Word, 2013,
I have it so attachments open using WordPad. Previously, I had removed
any protection blockers, but that went away with this new version of
FireFox.
Hence, I cannot use any of the recommended to access added comments at
the margins in a word document.
I tried browse mode, I tried insert f7 to open an elements list. Nada.

I am getting a new all-in-one PC, Win10, and will install the latest
NVDA, now using 2018.4.
The issue is these blankin updates from Mozilla.

Where do I find remote support for NVDA, and realize it is a pay-for service?
This is to "damn" complicated for me.
Thanks,
--
David Russell
david.sonofhashem@...
 "Hakuna Matata" no worries!





--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Re: Nvda problem in Word

Quentin Christensen
 

I can't think of a reason for this happening, but a couple of things to possibly try:
1. Is it happening in all Word documents?  IF you create a blank document, type a line of text and arrow through it, does it recur?
2. If you've recently updated anything (NVDA, Office, Windows, etc), try going to the Windows shut down menu and restarting Windows.
3. Try restarting NVDA with add-ons disabled.  Press NVDA+Q then down arrow to "Restart NVDA with add-ons disabled" and press ENTER" (as others have speculated, that may be what was meant by accessories being disabled, but I thought I'd mention it just in case).

If neither of those help, if you could send info@... the following:

1) Description of the problem and your system (Versions of Windows, Office, NVDA etc)
2) A debug log of the issue: Press NVDA+control+g to open the general options and TAB to "log level".  Set this to "Debug" and press OK.  Recreate the issue in Word, then press NVDA+F1 to open the log viewer, press control+a to select all, control+c to copy, go back to your email and press control+v to paste it into the email to us.
3) If you can attach the Word document it is occuring in, we can have a look at that.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 6:32 PM Jarek.Krcmar <Jarek.Krcmar@...> wrote:
Hi group,

a friend of mine has a problem in word.

Here is, what he wrote:


Hello fans. With NVDA I have a problem when moving in Word. When I open
a document and start to move it letter by letter, word by word, by
sentence or paragraph by paragraph, and NVDA often reads text twice.
E.g. when I move the letters and say, need space, so sometimes when you
press the left or right arrow tells the gap again, even if there is
already another character. When you press the keyboard shortcut that
reads a character on which the navigator object within the review
cursor, to the sign reads. Or when you press the left and right arrow so
it repeats the letter, which was the first down arrow. Do you know what
it could be? I tried to run NVDA and accessories are prohibited, but it
did not help. I have Microsoft Office 2013 and NVDA 2019.2. Michal health.

--
Jarek






--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Re: Helping the Con team. Was: Re: [nvda] NVDACon, recordings and my handout

Gene
 

----- Original Message -----
From: Gene
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2019 7:00 PM
Subject: Re: Helping the Con team. Was: Re: [nvda] NVDACon, recordings and my handout

Not if you use MP3 Direct Cut, which edits and changes the same file without reencoding it, which is why I specifically specified MP3 direct cut.  That is one of the reasons some people use that program, so they can alter MP3 files without loss of quality.
 
I haven't looked for documentation, but I'm sure I can document that MP3 Direct cut allows for alterations with no quality loss..
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Luke Davis
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2019 6:52 PM
Subject: Re: Helping the Con team. Was: Re: [nvda] NVDACon, recordings and my handout

On Thu, 21 Nov 2019, Gene wrote:

> I don't know what audio work you are looking for.  I am an excellent editor and I do other typical things such as equalize files.  I assume you are working
> with MP3 files and I use MP3 Direct cut so I can edit and save the edited versions of files with no loss of quality.

No offense intended Gene, and I don't want to spawn an audio discussion, but I
had to address that. If you do anything other than cut an MP3 file--if you
equalize it, if you do some compression, if you do volume normalization or
balancing, or anything else that actually alters audio--and then save it as
another MP3 file, there will be a loss of quality. Especially if you do any
intermediate saves. MP3 is a lossy format, and any time you convert to 32 bit
floating point PCM in order to work on it, which as far as I know all audio
editors do internally, and then save it back out, there is further loss during
the down-conversion to MP3.

The only way to work on audio with no loss of quality (by work, I mean do
anything beyond cutting out sections which does not have to re-encode), is to
work on the original wave files if available, but in any case to always save
intermediate steps in a native uncompressed format.
Every time you edit and re-save an MP3,, you are making a slightly more blurry
copy of an already blurry copy. That is why exporting to MP3 is the very
absolute last step of any mastering operation.

Okay, that's drifting significantly, but I felt like it needed to be pointed
out.

Luke



Re: Helping the Con team. Was: Re: [nvda] NVDACon, recordings and my handout

Gene
 

Not if you use MP3 Direct Cut, which edits and changes the same file without reencoding it, which is why I specifically specified MP3 direct cut.  That is one of the reasons some people use that program, so they can alter MP3 files without loss of quality.
 
I haven't looked for documentation, but I'm sure I can document that MP3 Direct cut allows for alterations with no quality loss..
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
From: Luke Davis
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2019 6:52 PM
Subject: Re: Helping the Con team. Was: Re: [nvda] NVDACon, recordings and my handout

On Thu, 21 Nov 2019, Gene wrote:

> I don't know what audio work you are looking for.  I am an excellent editor and I do other typical things such as equalize files.  I assume you are working
> with MP3 files and I use MP3 Direct cut so I can edit and save the edited versions of files with no loss of quality.

No offense intended Gene, and I don't want to spawn an audio discussion, but I
had to address that. If you do anything other than cut an MP3 file--if you
equalize it, if you do some compression, if you do volume normalization or
balancing, or anything else that actually alters audio--and then save it as
another MP3 file, there will be a loss of quality. Especially if you do any
intermediate saves. MP3 is a lossy format, and any time you convert to 32 bit
floating point PCM in order to work on it, which as far as I know all audio
editors do internally, and then save it back out, there is further loss during
the down-conversion to MP3.

The only way to work on audio with no loss of quality (by work, I mean do
anything beyond cutting out sections which does not have to re-encode), is to
work on the original wave files if available, but in any case to always save
intermediate steps in a native uncompressed format.
Every time you edit and re-save an MP3,, you are making a slightly more blurry
copy of an already blurry copy. That is why exporting to MP3 is the very
absolute last step of any mastering operation.

Okay, that's drifting significantly, but I felt like it needed to be pointed
out.

Luke