Date   

Re: I take it there have been no improvements to the flawed espeak ng in 2017.4?

Reece H. Dunn
 

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 05:07 pm, Sharni-Lee Ward wrote:
That's a lot of work! I'm sorry for my judgmental initial subject line. It's just that I was very very used to the way Espeak pronounced words like "Possible," beforehand (I was only reminded of this after sending the other messages on this topic) and the slurring in certain words and phrases was very distracting for me. I'm getting accustomed to it, but that doesn't necessarily mean I like it.
I have pushed a fix for the pronunciation of words like "possible" for the English and British English accents. Historically, unstressed "I" vowels were pronounced with that "I" sound, while over time various accents pronounce this as the "a" in "comma".

The original espeak mixed its transcriptions for those sounds, so I fixed them in a previous espeak-ng release. However, the default pronunciation for the new transcription was the "I" sound. I have made a change so that that does not happen for the English and British English accents (so they get the "comma" sound), but does for the other accents like Received Pronunciation ("Queen's" or "BBC" English).


Re: Advisory: if upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1803, NVDA 2018.1.1 is required

richard kurlander <r.kurlander@...>
 

where do you find the new release of nvda not in check for updates I have 2018.1At 01:12 AM 3/28/2018, you wrote:

Just wait, it takes some time after you sign up for you to get an
update. Sometimes it may take a week or so and that is if you leave
your machine on all the time.

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 22:43:38 -0400,
Afik Suffir wrote:

[1 <text/plain; utf-8 (quoted-printable)>]
[2 <text/html; utf-8 (quoted-printable)>]
Thanks! Will do

× ×©×œ×— מה-iPhone שלי

‫ב-28 במרץ 2018, בשעה 5:39,
â€â€Joseph Lee â€<joseph.lee22590@gmail.com> כתב/×”:‬

Hi,

At this point, I advise contacting MS
disability answer desk regarding this matter.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Afik Suffir
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 7:27 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Advisory: if upgrading
to Windows 10 Version 1803, NVDA 2018.1.1 is required

So, what should i do now?

× ×©×œ×— מה-iPhone שלי

‫ב-28 במרץ 2018, בשעה 5:20,
â€â€Joseph Lee â€<joseph.lee22590@gmail.com> כתב/×”:

Hi,

I see.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Afik Suffir
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 7:15 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Advisory: if upgrading
to Windows 10 Version 1803, NVDA 2018.1.1 is required

1709

× ×©×œ×— מה-iPhone שלי

‫ב-28 במרץ 2018, בשעה 5:10,
â€â€Joseph Lee â€<joseph.lee22590@gmail.com> כתב/×”:

Hi,

Which build of Windows 10 do you have right now?

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Afik Suffir
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 7:10 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Advisory: if upgrading
to Windows 10 Version 1803, NVDA 2018.1.1 is required

Thanks Joseph

I have regestered to windows insider
program, and selected fast updates. But, there are no updates at all. What can i do?

× ×©×œ×— מה-iPhone שלי

‫ב-28 במרץ 2018, בשעה 4:53,
â€â€Joseph Lee â€<joseph.lee22590@gmail.com> כתב/×”:

Hi everyone,

The following advisory is rated “major†due to high impact:

Toward end of development for Windows 10
Version 1803, Microsoft changed a critical component in Windows OneCore speech synthesizer (specifically, bitrate). This causes OneCore synthesizer to sound a bit funny, including
higher pitch. NV Access has just released a
release candidate for NVDA 2018.1.1 which will correct this problem. Because of this, you need to be running 2018.1.1 for best experience with Windows 10 Version 1803.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Jospeh

--
Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com


Re: I take it there have been no improvements to the flawed espeak ng in 2017.4?

Brandon Cross <bcross3286@...>
 

I got used to eSpeak on linux when I was using it as a daily OS, but I never liked it. I've never heard a more metallic, gratey, voice in all my life, then it just injects prerecorded consonants into the stream like yeah that's gonna sound natural.

I like the Edward NVSpeech player voice a lot though.

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 12:34 AM, Sharni-Lee Ward <sharni-lee.ward@...> wrote:
Funny the things you start tuning out after a while. The Roman Numerals
thing can be a bit irritating sometimes, but that's been around since I
first started using Espeak and at the time, I was so happy to actually
have a Screen-reader with which I could browse the internet (Narrator
couldn't do that at that point) that I didn't care about a few little
things that were either supposed to be pronounced like that or were
unfinished words.


My chief problem is with names. As I said, I'm a fanfiction reader and
there are so, so many Pokémon names and anime character names that are
misrendered, but since I'm using an English voice, I can hardly expect
it to cooperate with names like "Bakura", because they're not English in
origin. I'd like it to cooperate but I understand why it doesn't.


On 28/03/2018 2:23 PM, Tyler Spivey wrote:
> As you said, a lot of us don't use espeak. This has the unfortunate side
> effect that nobody suggests improvements.
> Just to give a few examples of why I don't:
>
> I don't like the sound of the voice. If I speed it up using rate boost
> to get anything like a nice speed, sonic kicks in and makes it not sound
> smooth anymore.
> I suspect I'd get used to it in time, though.
>
> The synthesizer isn't very flexible, in multiple ways.
> First, the dictionary. If I want to add a word to it, I need to
> recompile the whole dictionary.
> There's no ability to alter it at runtime, so I can't simply edit a file
> which adds to the existing dictionary and have a word pronounced
> correctly, like I can do with some versions of Eloquence.
>
> The abbreviation handling is poor, with no easy way to turn it off. For
> example, in these two examples:
>
> Mr. Smith
>
> Mr Smith
>
> The sound changes depending on whether the period is present or not.
>
> I don't want to hear things like vi read as roman six. If I want that,
> I'll add the ones I do want to the dictionary with their correct
> capitalization/the pronunciation I want.
>
> If a sentence doesn't start with a capital letter, there's no pause
> after the last one. for example in this one.
> This makes sentences run together if they're not written correctly.
>
> There's no ability to adjust the punctuation pause (after ., ?, ,, etc).
>
> These are just a few I can think of. If I started using it, I'm sure I'd
> find more.
>
> On 3/27/2018 5:07 PM, Sharni-Lee Ward wrote:
>> That's a lot of work! I'm sorry for my judgmental initial subject line.
>> It's just that I was very very used to the way Espeak pronounced words
>> like "Possible," beforehand (I was only reminded of this after sending
>> the other messages on this topic) and the slurring in certain words and
>> phrases was very distracting for me. I'm getting accustomed to it, but
>> that doesn't necessarily mean I /like/ it.
>>
>> It's becoming clear to me, as this thread goes on, that less people use
>> Espeak NG than I had assumed. I figured, since it was the default synth
>> that came with NVDA, that more people used it, and therefore more people
>> would notice the oddities, and therefore you'd heard this stuff before a
>> lot of times. I also didn't know how much work was being done behind the
>> scenes, although in hindsight that was an assumption on my part and I
>> apologise. I still want these issues to be fixed, but throwing a fit the
>> way I did wasn't really helpful to anyone, and I apologise for that, too.
>>
>> I don't have a Github account, or know the terms used to explain stuff
>> on there. Most of what I see on the Espeak NG dev list confuses the heck
>> out of me. xD
>>
>> As for the person that said Espeak sounded very mechanical, I'll admit
>> that's part of the reason I use Linda almost exclusively. The other
>> female variants either sound overly synthetic or have weird
>> echos/breathiness that sounds even odder to me. The male variants didn't
>> play nicely with maxed inflection, and anyways, as a woman, I like my
>> computer to have a female voice. So Linda it is. Once you get used to
>> her, she's like an old friend, although I admit she sounds very robotic
>> coming out of speakers.
>>
>> On 28/03/2018 5:17 AM, Reece H. Dunn wrote:
>>> On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 01:42 am, Shaun Everiss wrote:
>>>
>>>      Espeakng is nice, better than espeak but I do wish the
>>>      pronounciations
>>>      could be corrected, I mean there was nothing wrong with the old ones.
>>>
>>> Taking the regression in the pronunciation of "resignedly" as an
>>> example, this was caused by a fix to words like "allegedly" and
>>> "reputedly" that were misporounced in espeak. The issue is that those
>>> words without the -edly suffix end in an 'e', while "resignedly" does
>>> not. The fix ended up adding an 'e' to "resign" when removing the
>>> -edly suffix, causing it to sound strange. I did not detect this
>>> because the word list I was using to compare the old and new
>>> pronunciations did not contain "resignedly".
>>>
>>> If there are any pronunciations that are wrong, let me know and I can
>>> fix them (even if you just say which words they are). If you say
>>> things like "espeak-ng sounds wrong", or "espeak-ng is broken", then I
>>> cannot fix that as I don't know what needs changing.
>>>
>>> Additionally, from espeak I have fixed the pronunciations for:
>>> manoeuvred, reckon, Frances (the name), sponging, Southend, Austen,
>>> aurora, recollect, ignoramus, straightforward, hippopotamuses,
>>> multiple, muse, soothsay, Orion. eta. theta. zeta, lambda, delta,
>>> thermal, sage, palazzo, cherish, resemble, visage, egress, chew,
>>> praiseworthy, racquet(ball), pureblood, d's, h's, k's, o's, p's, t's,
>>> y's, z's, and more. I have also fixed sir, nosir, and yessir in the
>>> Scottish English accent.
>>
>
>
>






nvda not echoing keystrokes in windows powershell

John Covici
 

Hi. I am using nvda 2018.01 and when in Windows Power Shell, I don't
hear anything when I type. If I backspace, I do hear the characters.

Any way to fix?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

--
Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com


Re: Advisory: if upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1803, NVDA 2018.1.1 is required

Sarah k Alawami
 

I believe I got mine whenI was on the fast ring at the time about 2-3 days. I'm totally off the beta now so hope I'm still correct. Lol!

Take care and be patient.

On Mar 27, 2018, at 10:12 PM, John Covici <covici@...> wrote:

Just wait, it takes some time after you sign up for you to get an
update.  Sometimes it may take a week or so and that is if you leave
your machine on all the time.

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 22:43:38 -0400,
Afik Suffir wrote:

[1  <text/plain; utf-8 (quoted-printable)>]
[2  <text/html; utf-8 (quoted-printable)>]
Thanks! Will do

נשלח מה-iPhone שלי

‫ב-28 במרץ 2018, בשעה 5:39, ‏‏Joseph Lee ‏<joseph.lee22590@...> כתב/ה:‬

Hi,

At this point, I advise contacting MS disability answer desk regarding this matter.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Afik Suffir
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 7:27 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Advisory: if upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1803, NVDA 2018.1.1 is required

So, what should i do now?

נשלח מה-iPhone שלי

‫ב-28 במרץ 2018, בשעה 5:20, ‏‏Joseph Lee ‏<joseph.lee22590@...> כתב/ה:

Hi,

I see.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Afik Suffir
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 7:15 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Advisory: if upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1803, NVDA 2018.1.1 is required

1709 

נשלח מה-iPhone שלי

‫ב-28 במרץ 2018, בשעה 5:10, ‏‏Joseph Lee ‏<joseph.lee22590@...> כתב/ה:

Hi,

Which build of Windows 10 do you have right now?

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Afik Suffir
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 7:10 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Advisory: if upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1803, NVDA 2018.1.1 is required

Thanks Joseph

I have regestered to windows insider program, and selected fast updates. But, there are no updates at all. What can i do?

נשלח מה-iPhone שלי

‫ב-28 במרץ 2018, בשעה 4:53, ‏‏Joseph Lee ‏<joseph.lee22590@...> כתב/ה:

Hi everyone,

The following advisory is rated “major” due to high impact:

Toward end of development for Windows 10 Version 1803, Microsoft changed a critical component in Windows OneCore speech synthesizer (specifically, bitrate). This causes OneCore synthesizer to sound a bit funny, including
higher pitch. NV Access has just released a release candidate for NVDA 2018.1.1 which will correct this problem. Because of this, you need to be running 2018.1.1 for best experience with Windows 10 Version 1803.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Jospeh



-- 
Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
How do
you spend it?

        John Covici wb2una
        covici@...



Re: Advisory: if upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1803, NVDA 2018.1.1 is required

John Covici
 

Just wait, it takes some time after you sign up for you to get an
update. Sometimes it may take a week or so and that is if you leave
your machine on all the time.

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 22:43:38 -0400,
Afik Suffir wrote:

[1 <text/plain; utf-8 (quoted-printable)>]
[2 <text/html; utf-8 (quoted-printable)>]
Thanks! Will do

נשלח מה-iPhone שלי

‫ב-28 במרץ 2018, בשעה 5:39, ‏‏Joseph Lee ‏<joseph.lee22590@gmail.com> כתב/ה:‬

Hi,

At this point, I advise contacting MS disability answer desk regarding this matter.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Afik Suffir
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 7:27 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Advisory: if upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1803, NVDA 2018.1.1 is required

So, what should i do now?

נשלח מה-iPhone שלי

‫ב-28 במרץ 2018, בשעה 5:20, ‏‏Joseph Lee ‏<joseph.lee22590@gmail.com> כתב/ה:

Hi,

I see.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Afik Suffir
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 7:15 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Advisory: if upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1803, NVDA 2018.1.1 is required

1709

נשלח מה-iPhone שלי

‫ב-28 במרץ 2018, בשעה 5:10, ‏‏Joseph Lee ‏<joseph.lee22590@gmail.com> כתב/ה:

Hi,

Which build of Windows 10 do you have right now?

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Afik Suffir
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 7:10 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Advisory: if upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1803, NVDA 2018.1.1 is required

Thanks Joseph

I have regestered to windows insider program, and selected fast updates. But, there are no updates at all. What can i do?

נשלח מה-iPhone שלי

‫ב-28 במרץ 2018, בשעה 4:53, ‏‏Joseph Lee ‏<joseph.lee22590@gmail.com> כתב/ה:

Hi everyone,

The following advisory is rated “major” due to high impact:

Toward end of development for Windows 10 Version 1803, Microsoft changed a critical component in Windows OneCore speech synthesizer (specifically, bitrate). This causes OneCore synthesizer to sound a bit funny, including
higher pitch. NV Access has just released a release candidate for NVDA 2018.1.1 which will correct this problem. Because of this, you need to be running 2018.1.1 for best experience with Windows 10 Version 1803.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Jospeh

--
Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com


Re: I take it there have been no improvements to the flawed espeak ng in 2017.4?

Sharni-Lee Ward
 

Funny the things you start tuning out after a while. The Roman Numerals
thing can be a bit irritating sometimes, but that's been around since I
first started using Espeak and at the time, I was so happy to actually
have a Screen-reader with which I could browse the internet (Narrator
couldn't do that at that point) that I didn't care about a few little
things that were either supposed to be pronounced like that or were
unfinished words.


My chief problem is with names. As I said, I'm a fanfiction reader and
there are so, so many Pokémon names and anime character names that are
misrendered, but since I'm using an English voice, I can hardly expect
it to cooperate with names like "Bakura", because they're not English in
origin. I'd like it to cooperate but I understand why it doesn't.

On 28/03/2018 2:23 PM, Tyler Spivey wrote:
As you said, a lot of us don't use espeak. This has the unfortunate side
effect that nobody suggests improvements.
Just to give a few examples of why I don't:

I don't like the sound of the voice. If I speed it up using rate boost
to get anything like a nice speed, sonic kicks in and makes it not sound
smooth anymore.
I suspect I'd get used to it in time, though.

The synthesizer isn't very flexible, in multiple ways.
First, the dictionary. If I want to add a word to it, I need to
recompile the whole dictionary.
There's no ability to alter it at runtime, so I can't simply edit a file
which adds to the existing dictionary and have a word pronounced
correctly, like I can do with some versions of Eloquence.

The abbreviation handling is poor, with no easy way to turn it off. For
example, in these two examples:

Mr. Smith

Mr Smith

The sound changes depending on whether the period is present or not.

I don't want to hear things like vi read as roman six. If I want that,
I'll add the ones I do want to the dictionary with their correct
capitalization/the pronunciation I want.

If a sentence doesn't start with a capital letter, there's no pause
after the last one. for example in this one.
This makes sentences run together if they're not written correctly.

There's no ability to adjust the punctuation pause (after ., ?, ,, etc).

These are just a few I can think of. If I started using it, I'm sure I'd
find more.

On 3/27/2018 5:07 PM, Sharni-Lee Ward wrote:
That's a lot of work! I'm sorry for my judgmental initial subject line.
It's just that I was very very used to the way Espeak pronounced words
like "Possible," beforehand (I was only reminded of this after sending
the other messages on this topic) and the slurring in certain words and
phrases was very distracting for me. I'm getting accustomed to it, but
that doesn't necessarily mean I /like/ it.

It's becoming clear to me, as this thread goes on, that less people use
Espeak NG than I had assumed. I figured, since it was the default synth
that came with NVDA, that more people used it, and therefore more people
would notice the oddities, and therefore you'd heard this stuff before a
lot of times. I also didn't know how much work was being done behind the
scenes, although in hindsight that was an assumption on my part and I
apologise. I still want these issues to be fixed, but throwing a fit the
way I did wasn't really helpful to anyone, and I apologise for that, too.

I don't have a Github account, or know the terms used to explain stuff
on there. Most of what I see on the Espeak NG dev list confuses the heck
out of me. xD

As for the person that said Espeak sounded very mechanical, I'll admit
that's part of the reason I use Linda almost exclusively. The other
female variants either sound overly synthetic or have weird
echos/breathiness that sounds even odder to me. The male variants didn't
play nicely with maxed inflection, and anyways, as a woman, I like my
computer to have a female voice. So Linda it is. Once you get used to
her, she's like an old friend, although I admit she sounds very robotic
coming out of speakers.

On 28/03/2018 5:17 AM, Reece H. Dunn wrote:
On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 01:42 am, Shaun Everiss wrote:

Espeakng is nice, better than espeak but I do wish the
pronounciations
could be corrected, I mean there was nothing wrong with the old ones.

Taking the regression in the pronunciation of "resignedly" as an
example, this was caused by a fix to words like "allegedly" and
"reputedly" that were misporounced in espeak. The issue is that those
words without the -edly suffix end in an 'e', while "resignedly" does
not. The fix ended up adding an 'e' to "resign" when removing the
-edly suffix, causing it to sound strange. I did not detect this
because the word list I was using to compare the old and new
pronunciations did not contain "resignedly".

If there are any pronunciations that are wrong, let me know and I can
fix them (even if you just say which words they are). If you say
things like "espeak-ng sounds wrong", or "espeak-ng is broken", then I
cannot fix that as I don't know what needs changing.

Additionally, from espeak I have fixed the pronunciations for:
manoeuvred, reckon, Frances (the name), sponging, Southend, Austen,
aurora, recollect, ignoramus, straightforward, hippopotamuses,
multiple, muse, soothsay, Orion. eta. theta. zeta, lambda, delta,
thermal, sage, palazzo, cherish, resemble, visage, egress, chew,
praiseworthy, racquet(ball), pureblood, d's, h's, k's, o's, p's, t's,
y's, z's, and more. I have also fixed sir, nosir, and yessir in the
Scottish English accent.


Important user interface and experience change: postponing NVDA updates, now a reality

 

Dear NVDA community,

 

The following is considered a major change as it’ll affect everyone who chooses to check for and download new NVDA updates:

 

As of March 28, 2018, a change has been made to how NVDA will present update notices. This change, now part of master snapshots (beta-level), will require you to adjust how you respond to update notices.

 

Specifically:

 

Old behavior:

 

  1. NVDA will check for updates.
  2. NVDA will offer to either download and install the update (installed copy) or just download the update (portable version). You can also ask NVDA to remind you later.
  3. For those who’ve installed NVDA: once the update download is complete, you can press Escape to select OK button, and update process will begin.

 

New behavior:

 

  1. NVDA will check for updates.
  2. NVDA will offer to just download the update (both installed copy and portable version) or let it remind you later.
  3. For installed copy: once the update is downloaded, you can either choose to install it now or postpone it. If you press Escape, NVDA will assume that you want to postpone update installation.
  4. If you choose to postpone update installation, a new item will appear when you exit NVDA, which will offer to start the update process when NVDA restarts.

The ability to postpone NVDA updates will be made available in NVDA 2018.2 (May 2018 at the earliest). Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph


Re: Keyboard shortcuts for Libre Office writer

V Stuart Foote
 

Hi folks,

For those that find Web wiki tables more readable these should help:

https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Shortcuts_Accessibility

https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/General_Shortcut_Keys_in

https://help.libreoffice.org/Writer/Shortcut_Keys_for_Writer

https://help.libreoffice.org/Calc/Shortcut_Keys_for_Spreadsheets

https://help.libreoffice.org/Impress/Using_Shortcut_Keys_in_Impress

https://help.libreoffice.org/Draw/Shortcut_Keys_for_Drawings
https://help.libreoffice.org/Draw/Shortcut_Keys_for_Drawing_Objects

And, something to keep in mind is that keyboard accelerators (dynamically assigned within UI by language locale) are becoming more prevalent in the UI. They supplement legacy "fixed" hard coded keyboard shortcuts. Beyond these shortcut tables it is worth keeping track of those that help your work flow.

Please, if you find any inaccuracies in these tabular listings please ask at https://ask.libreoffice.org  Or the LibreOffice accessibility@... mail list.

Otherwise, it is not user support but if you've found a bug in any facet of the Windows accessibility support, the LibreOffice project BugZilla instance:https://bugs.documentfoundation.org is available to report--we review them all.

Enjoy!

Stuart


Re: I take it there have been no improvements to the flawed espeak ng in 2017.4?

Tyler Spivey
 

As you said, a lot of us don't use espeak. This has the unfortunate side
effect that nobody suggests improvements.
Just to give a few examples of why I don't:

I don't like the sound of the voice. If I speed it up using rate boost
to get anything like a nice speed, sonic kicks in and makes it not sound
smooth anymore.
I suspect I'd get used to it in time, though.

The synthesizer isn't very flexible, in multiple ways.
First, the dictionary. If I want to add a word to it, I need to
recompile the whole dictionary.
There's no ability to alter it at runtime, so I can't simply edit a file
which adds to the existing dictionary and have a word pronounced
correctly, like I can do with some versions of Eloquence.

The abbreviation handling is poor, with no easy way to turn it off. For
example, in these two examples:

Mr. Smith

Mr Smith

The sound changes depending on whether the period is present or not.

I don't want to hear things like vi read as roman six. If I want that,
I'll add the ones I do want to the dictionary with their correct
capitalization/the pronunciation I want.

If a sentence doesn't start with a capital letter, there's no pause
after the last one. for example in this one.
This makes sentences run together if they're not written correctly.

There's no ability to adjust the punctuation pause (after ., ?, ,, etc).

These are just a few I can think of. If I started using it, I'm sure I'd
find more.

On 3/27/2018 5:07 PM, Sharni-Lee Ward wrote:
That's a lot of work! I'm sorry for my judgmental initial subject line.
It's just that I was very very used to the way Espeak pronounced words
like "Possible," beforehand (I was only reminded of this after sending
the other messages on this topic) and the slurring in certain words and
phrases was very distracting for me. I'm getting accustomed to it, but
that doesn't necessarily mean I /like/ it.

It's becoming clear to me, as this thread goes on, that less people use
Espeak NG than I had assumed. I figured, since it was the default synth
that came with NVDA, that more people used it, and therefore more people
would notice the oddities, and therefore you'd heard this stuff before a
lot of times. I also didn't know how much work was being done behind the
scenes, although in hindsight that was an assumption on my part and I
apologise. I still want these issues to be fixed, but throwing a fit the
way I did wasn't really helpful to anyone, and I apologise for that, too.

I don't have a Github account, or know the terms used to explain stuff
on there. Most of what I see on the Espeak NG dev list confuses the heck
out of me. xD

As for the person that said Espeak sounded very mechanical, I'll admit
that's part of the reason I use Linda almost exclusively. The other
female variants either sound overly synthetic or have weird
echos/breathiness that sounds even odder to me. The male variants didn't
play nicely with maxed inflection, and anyways, as a woman, I like my
computer to have a female voice. So Linda it is. Once you get used to
her, she's like an old friend, although I admit she sounds very robotic
coming out of speakers.

On 28/03/2018 5:17 AM, Reece H. Dunn wrote:
On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 01:42 am, Shaun Everiss wrote:

Espeakng is nice, better than espeak but I do wish the
pronounciations
could be corrected, I mean there was nothing wrong with the old ones.

Taking the regression in the pronunciation of "resignedly" as an
example, this was caused by a fix to words like "allegedly" and
"reputedly" that were misporounced in espeak. The issue is that those
words without the -edly suffix end in an 'e', while "resignedly" does
not. The fix ended up adding an 'e' to "resign" when removing the
-edly suffix, causing it to sound strange. I did not detect this
because the word list I was using to compare the old and new
pronunciations did not contain "resignedly".

If there are any pronunciations that are wrong, let me know and I can
fix them (even if you just say which words they are). If you say
things like "espeak-ng sounds wrong", or "espeak-ng is broken", then I
cannot fix that as I don't know what needs changing.

Additionally, from espeak I have fixed the pronunciations for:
manoeuvred, reckon, Frances (the name), sponging, Southend, Austen,
aurora, recollect, ignoramus, straightforward, hippopotamuses,
multiple, muse, soothsay, Orion. eta. theta. zeta, lambda, delta,
thermal, sage, palazzo, cherish, resemble, visage, egress, chew,
praiseworthy, racquet(ball), pureblood, d's, h's, k's, o's, p's, t's,
y's, z's, and more. I have also fixed sir, nosir, and yessir in the
Scottish English accent.


Re: Advisory: if upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1803, NVDA 2018.1.1 is required

Afik Suffir <afik.sofir@...>
 


Thanks! Will do

נשלח מה-iPhone שלי

‫ב-28 במרץ 2018, בשעה 5:39, ‏‏Joseph Lee ‏<joseph.lee22590@...> כתב/ה:‬

Hi,

At this point, I advise contacting MS disability answer desk regarding this matter.

Cheers,

Joseph

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Afik Suffir
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 7:27 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Advisory: if upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1803, NVDA 2018.1.1 is required

 

 

So, what should i do now?

 

 

נשלח מה-iPhone שלי


ב-28 במרץ 2018, בשעה 5:20, ‏‏Joseph Lee<joseph.lee22590@...> כתב/ה:

Hi,

I see.

Cheers,

Joseph

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Afik Suffir
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 7:15 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Advisory: if upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1803, NVDA 2018.1.1 is required

 

 

1709 

 

נשלח מה-iPhone שלי


ב-28 במרץ 2018, בשעה 5:10, ‏‏Joseph Lee<joseph.lee22590@...> כתב/ה:

Hi,

Which build of Windows 10 do you have right now?

Cheers,

Joseph

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Afik Suffir
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 7:10 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Advisory: if upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1803, NVDA 2018.1.1 is required

 

 

Thanks Joseph

I have regestered to windows insider program, and selected fast updates. But, there are no updates at all. What can i do?

 

 

נשלח מה-iPhone שלי


ב-28 במרץ 2018, בשעה 4:53, ‏‏Joseph Lee<joseph.lee22590@...> כתב/ה:

Hi everyone,

 

The following advisory is rated “major” due to high impact:

 

Toward end of development for Windows 10 Version 1803, Microsoft changed a critical component in Windows OneCore speech synthesizer (specifically, bitrate). This causes OneCore synthesizer to sound a bit funny, including higher pitch. NV Access has just released a release candidate for NVDA 2018.1.1 which will correct this problem. Because of this, you need to be running 2018.1.1 for best experience with Windows 10 Version 1803.

 

Thank you.

Cheers,

Jospeh


Re: Advisory: if upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1803, NVDA 2018.1.1 is required

 

Hi,

At this point, I advise contacting MS disability answer desk regarding this matter.

Cheers,

Joseph

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Afik Suffir
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 7:27 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Advisory: if upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1803, NVDA 2018.1.1 is required

 

 

So, what should i do now?

 

 

נשלח מה-iPhone שלי


ב-28 במרץ 2018, בשעה 5:20, ‏‏Joseph Lee<joseph.lee22590@...> כתב/ה:

Hi,

I see.

Cheers,

Joseph

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Afik Suffir
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 7:15 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Advisory: if upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1803, NVDA 2018.1.1 is required

 

 

1709 

 

נשלח מה-iPhone שלי


ב-28 במרץ 2018, בשעה 5:10, ‏‏Joseph Lee<joseph.lee22590@...> כתב/ה:

Hi,

Which build of Windows 10 do you have right now?

Cheers,

Joseph

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Afik Suffir
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 7:10 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Advisory: if upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1803, NVDA 2018.1.1 is required

 

 

Thanks Joseph

I have regestered to windows insider program, and selected fast updates. But, there are no updates at all. What can i do?

 

 

נשלח מה-iPhone שלי


ב-28 במרץ 2018, בשעה 4:53, ‏‏Joseph Lee<joseph.lee22590@...> כתב/ה:

Hi everyone,

 

The following advisory is rated “major” due to high impact:

 

Toward end of development for Windows 10 Version 1803, Microsoft changed a critical component in Windows OneCore speech synthesizer (specifically, bitrate). This causes OneCore synthesizer to sound a bit funny, including higher pitch. NV Access has just released a release candidate for NVDA 2018.1.1 which will correct this problem. Because of this, you need to be running 2018.1.1 for best experience with Windows 10 Version 1803.

 

Thank you.

Cheers,

Jospeh


Re: Advisory: if upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1803, NVDA 2018.1.1 is required

Afik Suffir <afik.sofir@...>
 


So, what should i do now?


נשלח מה-iPhone שלי

‫ב-28 במרץ 2018, בשעה 5:20, ‏‏Joseph Lee ‏<joseph.lee22590@...> כתב/ה:‬

Hi,

I see.

Cheers,

Joseph

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Afik Suffir
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 7:15 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Advisory: if upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1803, NVDA 2018.1.1 is required

 

 

1709 

 

נשלח מה-iPhone שלי


ב-28 במרץ 2018, בשעה 5:10, ‏‏Joseph Lee<joseph.lee22590@...> כתב/ה:

Hi,

Which build of Windows 10 do you have right now?

Cheers,

Joseph

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Afik Suffir
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 7:10 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Advisory: if upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1803, NVDA 2018.1.1 is required

 

 

Thanks Joseph

I have regestered to windows insider program, and selected fast updates. But, there are no updates at all. What can i do?

 

 

נשלח מה-iPhone שלי


ב-28 במרץ 2018, בשעה 4:53, ‏‏Joseph Lee<joseph.lee22590@...> כתב/ה:

Hi everyone,

 

The following advisory is rated “major” due to high impact:

 

Toward end of development for Windows 10 Version 1803, Microsoft changed a critical component in Windows OneCore speech synthesizer (specifically, bitrate). This causes OneCore synthesizer to sound a bit funny, including higher pitch. NV Access has just released a release candidate for NVDA 2018.1.1 which will correct this problem. Because of this, you need to be running 2018.1.1 for best experience with Windows 10 Version 1803.

 

Thank you.

Cheers,

Jospeh


Re: Advisory: if upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1803, NVDA 2018.1.1 is required

 

Hi,

I see.

Cheers,

Joseph

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Afik Suffir
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 7:15 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Advisory: if upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1803, NVDA 2018.1.1 is required

 

 

1709 

 

נשלח מה-iPhone שלי


ב-28 במרץ 2018, בשעה 5:10, ‏‏Joseph Lee<joseph.lee22590@...> כתב/ה:

Hi,

Which build of Windows 10 do you have right now?

Cheers,

Joseph

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Afik Suffir
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 7:10 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Advisory: if upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1803, NVDA 2018.1.1 is required

 

 

Thanks Joseph

I have regestered to windows insider program, and selected fast updates. But, there are no updates at all. What can i do?

 

 

נשלח מה-iPhone שלי


ב-28 במרץ 2018, בשעה 4:53, ‏‏Joseph Lee<joseph.lee22590@...> כתב/ה:

Hi everyone,

 

The following advisory is rated “major” due to high impact:

 

Toward end of development for Windows 10 Version 1803, Microsoft changed a critical component in Windows OneCore speech synthesizer (specifically, bitrate). This causes OneCore synthesizer to sound a bit funny, including higher pitch. NV Access has just released a release candidate for NVDA 2018.1.1 which will correct this problem. Because of this, you need to be running 2018.1.1 for best experience with Windows 10 Version 1803.

 

Thank you.

Cheers,

Jospeh


Re: Advisory: if upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1803, NVDA 2018.1.1 is required

Afik Suffir <afik.sofir@...>
 


1709 

נשלח מה-iPhone שלי

‫ב-28 במרץ 2018, בשעה 5:10, ‏‏Joseph Lee ‏<joseph.lee22590@...> כתב/ה:‬

Hi,

Which build of Windows 10 do you have right now?

Cheers,

Joseph

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Afik Suffir
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 7:10 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Advisory: if upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1803, NVDA 2018.1.1 is required

 

 

Thanks Joseph

I have regestered to windows insider program, and selected fast updates. But, there are no updates at all. What can i do?

 

 

נשלח מה-iPhone שלי


ב-28 במרץ 2018, בשעה 4:53, ‏‏Joseph Lee<joseph.lee22590@...> כתב/ה:

Hi everyone,

 

The following advisory is rated “major” due to high impact:

 

Toward end of development for Windows 10 Version 1803, Microsoft changed a critical component in Windows OneCore speech synthesizer (specifically, bitrate). This causes OneCore synthesizer to sound a bit funny, including higher pitch. NV Access has just released a release candidate for NVDA 2018.1.1 which will correct this problem. Because of this, you need to be running 2018.1.1 for best experience with Windows 10 Version 1803.

 

Thank you.

Cheers,

Jospeh


Re: Advisory: if upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1803, NVDA 2018.1.1 is required

 

Hi,

Which build of Windows 10 do you have right now?

Cheers,

Joseph

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Afik Suffir
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 7:10 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Advisory: if upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1803, NVDA 2018.1.1 is required

 

 

Thanks Joseph

I have regestered to windows insider program, and selected fast updates. But, there are no updates at all. What can i do?

 

 

נשלח מה-iPhone שלי


ב-28 במרץ 2018, בשעה 4:53, ‏‏Joseph Lee<joseph.lee22590@...> כתב/ה:

Hi everyone,

 

The following advisory is rated “major” due to high impact:

 

Toward end of development for Windows 10 Version 1803, Microsoft changed a critical component in Windows OneCore speech synthesizer (specifically, bitrate). This causes OneCore synthesizer to sound a bit funny, including higher pitch. NV Access has just released a release candidate for NVDA 2018.1.1 which will correct this problem. Because of this, you need to be running 2018.1.1 for best experience with Windows 10 Version 1803.

 

Thank you.

Cheers,

Jospeh


Re: Advisory: if upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1803, NVDA 2018.1.1 is required

Afik Suffir <afik.sofir@...>
 


Thanks Joseph
I have regestered to windows insider program, and selected fast updates. But, there are no updates at all. What can i do?


נשלח מה-iPhone שלי

‫ב-28 במרץ 2018, בשעה 4:53, ‏‏Joseph Lee ‏<joseph.lee22590@...> כתב/ה:‬

Hi everyone,

 

The following advisory is rated “major” due to high impact:

 

Toward end of development for Windows 10 Version 1803, Microsoft changed a critical component in Windows OneCore speech synthesizer (specifically, bitrate). This causes OneCore synthesizer to sound a bit funny, including higher pitch. NV Access has just released a release candidate for NVDA 2018.1.1 which will correct this problem. Because of this, you need to be running 2018.1.1 for best experience with Windows 10 Version 1803.

 

Thank you.

Cheers,

Jospeh


Advisory: if upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1803, NVDA 2018.1.1 is required

 

Hi everyone,

 

The following advisory is rated “major” due to high impact:

 

Toward end of development for Windows 10 Version 1803, Microsoft changed a critical component in Windows OneCore speech synthesizer (specifically, bitrate). This causes OneCore synthesizer to sound a bit funny, including higher pitch. NV Access has just released a release candidate for NVDA 2018.1.1 which will correct this problem. Because of this, you need to be running 2018.1.1 for best experience with Windows 10 Version 1803.

 

Thank you.

Cheers,

Jospeh


Re: I take it there have been no improvements to the flawed espeak ng in 2017.4?

Sharni-Lee Ward
 

Correction, I have a github account that I just found again. I'd clean forgotten the password but I was able to recover it. I'll have to make several separate issues to cover the things I've noticed. Hope I won't be too annoying...


On 28/03/2018 11:07 AM, Sharni-Lee Ward wrote:
That's a lot of work! I'm sorry for my judgmental initial subject line. It's just that I was very very used to the way Espeak pronounced words like "Possible," beforehand (I was only reminded of this after sending the other messages on this topic) and the slurring in certain words and phrases was very distracting for me. I'm getting accustomed to it, but that doesn't necessarily mean I like it.

It's becoming clear to me, as this thread goes on, that less people use Espeak NG than I had assumed. I figured, since it was the default synth that came with NVDA, that more people used it, and therefore more people would notice the oddities, and therefore you'd heard this stuff before a lot of times. I also didn't know how much work was being done behind the scenes, although in hindsight that was an assumption on my part and I apologise. I still want these issues to be fixed, but throwing a fit the way I did wasn't really helpful to anyone, and I apologise for that, too.

I don't have a Github account, or know the terms used to explain stuff on there. Most of what I see on the Espeak NG dev list confuses the heck out of me. xD

As for the person that said Espeak sounded very mechanical, I'll admit that's part of the reason I use Linda almost exclusively. The other female variants either sound overly synthetic or have weird echos/breathiness that sounds even odder to me. The male variants didn't play nicely with maxed inflection, and anyways, as a woman, I like my computer to have a female voice. So Linda it is. Once you get used to her, she's like an old friend, although I admit she sounds very robotic coming out of speakers.

On 28/03/2018 5:17 AM, Reece H. Dunn wrote:
On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 01:42 am, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Espeakng is nice, better than espeak but I do wish the pronounciations
could be corrected, I mean there was nothing wrong with the old ones.
Taking the regression in the pronunciation of "resignedly" as an example, this was caused by a fix to words like "allegedly" and "reputedly" that were misporounced in espeak. The issue is that those words without the -edly suffix end in an 'e', while "resignedly" does not. The fix ended up adding an 'e' to "resign" when removing the -edly suffix, causing it to sound strange. I did not detect this because the word list I was using to compare the old and new pronunciations did not contain "resignedly".

If there are any pronunciations that are wrong, let me know and I can fix them (even if you just say which words they are). If you say things like "espeak-ng sounds wrong", or "espeak-ng is broken", then I cannot fix that as I don't know what needs changing.

Additionally, from espeak I have fixed the pronunciations for: manoeuvred, reckon, Frances (the name), sponging, Southend, Austen, aurora, recollect, ignoramus, straightforward, hippopotamuses, multiple, muse, soothsay, Orion. eta. theta. zeta, lambda, delta, thermal, sage, palazzo, cherish, resemble, visage, egress, chew, praiseworthy, racquet(ball), pureblood, d's, h's, k's, o's, p's, t's, y's, z's, and more. I have also fixed sir, nosir, and yessir in the Scottish English accent.



Re: I take it there have been no improvements to the flawed espeak ng in 2017.4?

Sharni-Lee Ward
 

That's a lot of work! I'm sorry for my judgmental initial subject line. It's just that I was very very used to the way Espeak pronounced words like "Possible," beforehand (I was only reminded of this after sending the other messages on this topic) and the slurring in certain words and phrases was very distracting for me. I'm getting accustomed to it, but that doesn't necessarily mean I like it.

It's becoming clear to me, as this thread goes on, that less people use Espeak NG than I had assumed. I figured, since it was the default synth that came with NVDA, that more people used it, and therefore more people would notice the oddities, and therefore you'd heard this stuff before a lot of times. I also didn't know how much work was being done behind the scenes, although in hindsight that was an assumption on my part and I apologise. I still want these issues to be fixed, but throwing a fit the way I did wasn't really helpful to anyone, and I apologise for that, too.

I don't have a Github account, or know the terms used to explain stuff on there. Most of what I see on the Espeak NG dev list confuses the heck out of me. xD

As for the person that said Espeak sounded very mechanical, I'll admit that's part of the reason I use Linda almost exclusively. The other female variants either sound overly synthetic or have weird echos/breathiness that sounds even odder to me. The male variants didn't play nicely with maxed inflection, and anyways, as a woman, I like my computer to have a female voice. So Linda it is. Once you get used to her, she's like an old friend, although I admit she sounds very robotic coming out of speakers.

On 28/03/2018 5:17 AM, Reece H. Dunn wrote:
On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 01:42 am, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Espeakng is nice, better than espeak but I do wish the pronounciations
could be corrected, I mean there was nothing wrong with the old ones.
Taking the regression in the pronunciation of "resignedly" as an example, this was caused by a fix to words like "allegedly" and "reputedly" that were misporounced in espeak. The issue is that those words without the -edly suffix end in an 'e', while "resignedly" does not. The fix ended up adding an 'e' to "resign" when removing the -edly suffix, causing it to sound strange. I did not detect this because the word list I was using to compare the old and new pronunciations did not contain "resignedly".

If there are any pronunciations that are wrong, let me know and I can fix them (even if you just say which words they are). If you say things like "espeak-ng sounds wrong", or "espeak-ng is broken", then I cannot fix that as I don't know what needs changing.

Additionally, from espeak I have fixed the pronunciations for: manoeuvred, reckon, Frances (the name), sponging, Southend, Austen, aurora, recollect, ignoramus, straightforward, hippopotamuses, multiple, muse, soothsay, Orion. eta. theta. zeta, lambda, delta, thermal, sage, palazzo, cherish, resemble, visage, egress, chew, praiseworthy, racquet(ball), pureblood, d's, h's, k's, o's, p's, t's, y's, z's, and more. I have also fixed sir, nosir, and yessir in the Scottish English accent.