Date   
Re: NVDA Installation failed

Sandra Pilz
 

Hi Quentin,

Thank you for trying it on your system. Hopefully this bug can be fixed soon.

Regards


RegardSandra 

Sandra

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 06.03.2020 um 00:19 schrieb Quentin Christensen <quentin@...>:


Hi Sandra,

Thanks for following up, I appreciate the clarification.

Setting my system language to German, I can replicate this.  We'll look into it.

Quentin.

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 11:10 PM Sandra Pilz <sandra914481@...> wrote:

Hi Quentin,


You wrote:

When you originally went to install, did you get the UAC prompt from Windows itself about installing the program?  You get that for any program you install, but sometimes it pops up and doesn't get focus so you aren't alerted to it and even visually it's not obvious.  If you don't answer Yes to the UAC prompt within about 20 seconds, it times out and denies the program from installing.


Yes, I did see it, but the UAC prompt isn't the problem, I always answer Yes using the alt Y or in my case alt+j shortcut (German windows), and the installation continues. I don't wait for 20 seconds for something to happen.


The only other thing I was thinking was if you had controlled folder access set, it will install NVDA but not create the desktop shortcut.  If that was the issue though, it wouldn't have worked any better with NVDA 2019.1 than 2019.3.

No, I don't have controlled folder access set. I checked this when it didn't work, because I knew it could be a problem. No, it's not active.


I do think there is a problem with the installation of 2019.3 though, because a lady on the German NVDA list reported the same problem. She's a very competent computer user and I'm sure she, too, knows how to deal with UAC. Maybe it doesn't affect systems where English is the default language... And maybe it wasn't reported much, because many people using NVDA 2019.3 will have updated an older version and won't have encountered this issue, because the shortcut and start menu entries had already been created by a previous installation of an older version of NVDA...


I, however, attempted a fresh install on a new machine.


Best


Sandra


Regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 2:43 AM Sandra Pilz <sandra914481@...> wrote:
Hi Felix,


Thanks for your help. Unfortunately setting the NVDA language to English
didn't help. The failed installation not only faild to create the
desktop shortcut, but also didn't create NVDA entries in the start menu.
I installed NVDA 2019.1 first and then updated to 2019.3.1, that did the
trick.


Best


Sandra

Am 04.03.2020 um 13:22 schrieb Felix G.:
> Hello Sandra,
> the installation failed because NVDA was unable to create its desktop
> shortcut, for reasons I cannot begin to guess. I can think of two
> options:
> 1. Install without creating a desktop shortcut, then create one manually.
> 2. Sometimes, switching the NVDA language to English before installing
> fixes this problem. If you feel comfortable doing this, it may be the
> cleaner option.
> Hope this helps,
> Felix
>
> Am Mi., 4. März 2020 um 14:11 Uhr schrieb Sandra Pilz <sandra914481@...>:
>> Hello,
>>
>>
>> I'm trying to install NVDA on a new machine running Windows 10 pro 1909.
>>
>>
>> I'm running  the installation file as administrator. I'm getting the message that installing NVDA has failed.
>>
>>
>> Please also see the log included below.
>>
>>
>> Does anyone know what the problem might be and how to solve it??
>>
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>>
>> Sandra
>>
>>
>> INFO - __main__ (13:56:46.002) - MainThread (10924):
>> Starting NVDA version 2019.3.1
>> INFO - core.main (13:56:46.082) - MainThread (10924):
>> Config dir: C:\Users\sandr\AppData\Roaming\nvda
>> INFO - config.ConfigManager._loadConfig (13:56:46.082) - MainThread (10924):
>> Loading config: C:\Users\sandr\AppData\Roaming\nvda\nvda.ini
>> INFO - core.main (13:56:46.122) - MainThread (10924):
>> Using Windows version 10.0.18363 workstation
>> INFO - core.main (13:56:46.122) - MainThread (10924):
>> Using Python version 3.7.5 (tags/v3.7.5:5c02a39a0b, Oct 14 2019, 23:09:19) [MSC v.1916 32 bit (Intel)]
>> INFO - core.main (13:56:46.122) - MainThread (10924):
>> Using comtypes version 1.1.7
>> INFO - core.main (13:56:46.122) - MainThread (10924):
>> Using configobj version 5.1.0 with validate version 1.0.1
>> INFO - synthDriverHandler.setSynth (13:56:46.402) - MainThread (10924):
>> Loaded synthDriver oneCore
>> INFO - core.main (13:56:46.402) - MainThread (10924):
>> Using wx version 4.0.3 msw (phoenix) wxWidgets 3.0.5 with six version 1.12.0
>> INFO - brailleInput.initialize (13:56:46.407) - MainThread (10924):
>> Braille input initialized
>> INFO - braille.initialize (13:56:46.407) - MainThread (10924):
>> Using liblouis version 3.10.0
>> INFO - braille.initialize (13:56:46.407) - MainThread (10924):
>> Using pySerial version 3.4
>> INFO - braille.BrailleHandler.setDisplayByName (13:56:46.412) - MainThread (10924):
>> Loaded braille display driver noBraille, current display has 0 cells.
>> INFO - brailleDisplayDrivers.handyTech.BrailleDisplayDriver.__init__ (13:56:46.464) - braille._BgThread (11016):
>> Found Easy Braille connected via hid (\\?\hid#vid_1fe4&pid_0044#7&7f9a61d&0&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030})
>> INFO - braille.BrailleHandler.setDisplayByName (13:56:46.472) - braille._BgThread (11016):
>> Loaded braille display driver handyTech, current display has 40 cells.
>> INFO - core.main (13:56:46.582) - MainThread (10924):
>> Java Access Bridge support initialized
>> INFO - _UIAHandler.UIAHandler.MTAThreadFunc (13:56:46.582) - _UIAHandler.UIAHandler.MTAThread (11020):
>> UIAutomation: IUIAutomation6
>> INFO - core.main (13:56:46.762) - MainThread (10924):
>> NVDA initialized
>> ERROR - RPC process 8756 (nvda_slave.exe) (13:57:05.773) - Dummy-1 (10840):
>> __main__.main:
>> slave error
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>    File "nvda_slave.pyw", line 47, in main
>>    File "installer.pyc", line 454, in install
>>    File "installer.pyc", line 261, in registerInstallation
>>    File "installer.pyc", line 58, in createShortcut
>>    File "comtypes\client\lazybind.pyc", line 218, in __setattr__
>>    File "comtypes\automation.pyc", line 729, in _invoke
>> _ctypes.COMError: (-2147352567, 'Ausnahmefehler aufgetreten.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
>> ERROR - gui.installerGui.doInstall (13:57:05.793) - MainThread (10924):
>> Installation failed: 1
>>
>>
>>
>
>





--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager




--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager


In-Process is out

Quentin Christensen
 

Hi everyone,

Reactions to NVDA 2019.3, Google Summer of Code news, plus an exclusive video demonstrating Rate Boost in Windows OneCore voices we had intended to share at #CSUNATC20 - all that and more in our In-Process blog post this week: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/in-process-6th-march/

Regards

Quentin.
--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Re: NVDA Installation failed

 

Hello Quentin,

If I'm not mistaking, this is a known bug in NVDA. I've reported this almost 5 years ago and it still occurs. Here is the bug: NVDA installation may fail with an error if system UI language and language for non-unicode programs don't match · Issue #5166.

______
Best wishes,
Kostadin Kolev

На 6.3.2020 г. в 1:19, Quentin Christensen написа:

Hi Sandra,

Thanks for following up, I appreciate the clarification.

Setting my system language to German, I can replicate this.  We'll look into it.

Quentin.

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 11:10 PM Sandra Pilz <sandra914481@...> wrote:

Hi Quentin,


You wrote:

When you originally went to install, did you get the UAC prompt from Windows itself about installing the program?  You get that for any program you install, but sometimes it pops up and doesn't get focus so you aren't alerted to it and even visually it's not obvious.  If you don't answer Yes to the UAC prompt within about 20 seconds, it times out and denies the program from installing.


Yes, I did see it, but the UAC prompt isn't the problem, I always answer Yes using the alt Y or in my case alt+j shortcut (German windows), and the installation continues. I don't wait for 20 seconds for something to happen.


The only other thing I was thinking was if you had controlled folder access set, it will install NVDA but not create the desktop shortcut.  If that was the issue though, it wouldn't have worked any better with NVDA 2019.1 than 2019.3.

No, I don't have controlled folder access set. I checked this when it didn't work, because I knew it could be a problem. No, it's not active.


I do think there is a problem with the installation of 2019.3 though, because a lady on the German NVDA list reported the same problem. She's a very competent computer user and I'm sure she, too, knows how to deal with UAC. Maybe it doesn't affect systems where English is the default language... And maybe it wasn't reported much, because many people using NVDA 2019.3 will have updated an older version and won't have encountered this issue, because the shortcut and start menu entries had already been created by a previous installation of an older version of NVDA...


I, however, attempted a fresh install on a new machine.


Best


Sandra


Regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 2:43 AM Sandra Pilz <sandra914481@...> wrote:
Hi Felix,


Thanks for your help. Unfortunately setting the NVDA language to English
didn't help. The failed installation not only faild to create the
desktop shortcut, but also didn't create NVDA entries in the start menu.
I installed NVDA 2019.1 first and then updated to 2019.3.1, that did the
trick.


Best


Sandra

Am 04.03.2020 um 13:22 schrieb Felix G.:
> Hello Sandra,
> the installation failed because NVDA was unable to create its desktop
> shortcut, for reasons I cannot begin to guess. I can think of two
> options:
> 1. Install without creating a desktop shortcut, then create one manually.
> 2. Sometimes, switching the NVDA language to English before installing
> fixes this problem. If you feel comfortable doing this, it may be the
> cleaner option.
> Hope this helps,
> Felix
>
> Am Mi., 4. März 2020 um 14:11 Uhr schrieb Sandra Pilz <sandra914481@...>:
>> Hello,
>>
>>
>> I'm trying to install NVDA on a new machine running Windows 10 pro 1909.
>>
>>
>> I'm running  the installation file as administrator. I'm getting the message that installing NVDA has failed.
>>
>>
>> Please also see the log included below.
>>
>>
>> Does anyone know what the problem might be and how to solve it??
>>
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>>
>> Sandra
>>
>>
>> INFO - __main__ (13:56:46.002) - MainThread (10924):
>> Starting NVDA version 2019.3.1
>> INFO - core.main (13:56:46.082) - MainThread (10924):
>> Config dir: C:\Users\sandr\AppData\Roaming\nvda
>> INFO - config.ConfigManager._loadConfig (13:56:46.082) - MainThread (10924):
>> Loading config: C:\Users\sandr\AppData\Roaming\nvda\nvda.ini
>> INFO - core.main (13:56:46.122) - MainThread (10924):
>> Using Windows version 10.0.18363 workstation
>> INFO - core.main (13:56:46.122) - MainThread (10924):
>> Using Python version 3.7.5 (tags/v3.7.5:5c02a39a0b, Oct 14 2019, 23:09:19) [MSC v.1916 32 bit (Intel)]
>> INFO - core.main (13:56:46.122) - MainThread (10924):
>> Using comtypes version 1.1.7
>> INFO - core.main (13:56:46.122) - MainThread (10924):
>> Using configobj version 5.1.0 with validate version 1.0.1
>> INFO - synthDriverHandler.setSynth (13:56:46.402) - MainThread (10924):
>> Loaded synthDriver oneCore
>> INFO - core.main (13:56:46.402) - MainThread (10924):
>> Using wx version 4.0.3 msw (phoenix) wxWidgets 3.0.5 with six version 1.12.0
>> INFO - brailleInput.initialize (13:56:46.407) - MainThread (10924):
>> Braille input initialized
>> INFO - braille.initialize (13:56:46.407) - MainThread (10924):
>> Using liblouis version 3.10.0
>> INFO - braille.initialize (13:56:46.407) - MainThread (10924):
>> Using pySerial version 3.4
>> INFO - braille.BrailleHandler.setDisplayByName (13:56:46.412) - MainThread (10924):
>> Loaded braille display driver noBraille, current display has 0 cells.
>> INFO - brailleDisplayDrivers.handyTech.BrailleDisplayDriver.__init__ (13:56:46.464) - braille._BgThread (11016):
>> Found Easy Braille connected via hid (\\?\hid#vid_1fe4&pid_0044#7&7f9a61d&0&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030})
>> INFO - braille.BrailleHandler.setDisplayByName (13:56:46.472) - braille._BgThread (11016):
>> Loaded braille display driver handyTech, current display has 40 cells.
>> INFO - core.main (13:56:46.582) - MainThread (10924):
>> Java Access Bridge support initialized
>> INFO - _UIAHandler.UIAHandler.MTAThreadFunc (13:56:46.582) - _UIAHandler.UIAHandler.MTAThread (11020):
>> UIAutomation: IUIAutomation6
>> INFO - core.main (13:56:46.762) - MainThread (10924):
>> NVDA initialized
>> ERROR - RPC process 8756 (nvda_slave.exe) (13:57:05.773) - Dummy-1 (10840):
>> __main__.main:
>> slave error
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>    File "nvda_slave.pyw", line 47, in main
>>    File "installer.pyc", line 454, in install
>>    File "installer.pyc", line 261, in registerInstallation
>>    File "installer.pyc", line 58, in createShortcut
>>    File "comtypes\client\lazybind.pyc", line 218, in __setattr__
>>    File "comtypes\automation.pyc", line 729, in _invoke
>> _ctypes.COMError: (-2147352567, 'Ausnahmefehler aufgetreten.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
>> ERROR - gui.installerGui.doInstall (13:57:05.793) - MainThread (10924):
>> Installation failed: 1
>>
>>
>>
>
>





--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager




--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager


FW: [nvda-spl] Request for comments: should standalone settings dialogs be unified under main Studio add-on settings screen?

 

Hi,

Should you have any questions or comments about the below proposal for StationPlaylist add-on, please either write to me directly or send your reply to NVDA-SPL mailing list. Thanks.

 

From: nvda-spl@nvda-spl.groups.io <nvda-spl@nvda-spl.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, March 5, 2020 10:15 PM
To: nvda-spl@nvda-spl.groups.io
Subject: [nvda-spl] Request for comments: should standalone settings dialogs be unified under main Studio add-on settings screen?

 

Hi all,

 

After thinking about user experience surrounding configuring add-on settings, I decided to gather feedback about scrapping standalone settings dialog and unifying them under main Studio add-on settings:

 

Background: SPL add-on provides commands to open settings dialogs to configure add-on settings. These include:

 

  • Alt+NVDA+number row 0: Studio add-on settings screen
  • Alt+NVDA+Number row 1: end of track alarm
  • Alt+NVDA+number row 2: song ramp alarm
  • Alt+NvDA+number row 4: microphone alarm
  • Unassigned command: metadata streaming

 

Of these, end of track alarm is the oldest code (implemented in 2014), while Studio add-on settings screen is the latest (added in 2018).

 

When I first introduced SPL add-on in 2014, my goal was to provide equivalent experience (or close to it) for users of scripts for JAWS and Window-Eyes. As part of this, end of track and song ramp/intro alarm dialogs were introduced, as JAWS scripts had commands to configure these settings. Then in 2015, I introduced the first version of Studio add-on settings dialog, bringing together various add-on settings in one place. Three years later, with NVDA 2018.2 introducing multi-category settings screen, SPL add-on followed suit, introducing its own multi-category settings screen.

 

While working on current version of SPL add-on settings screen, I created a dedicated “Alarms” panel to bring together settings related to alarms. As a result, you can now configure all three alarm categories – end of track, track intro, microphone – under one roof. This means there is duplication between Studio add-on settings screen and dedicated alarm settings dialog. At the same time, settings that are part of metadata streaming dialog were also incorporated into “Metadata streaming” category under add-on settings.

 

Now in 2020, while thinking about streamlining user experience when it comes to dealing with attempting to open multiple add-on settings dialog at once (something you should not do), I ran into a complication: in order to really streamline the user experience, a workaround must be developed, something that may or may not survive future NVDA releases. Thus after thinking about it, I decided to go with scrapping standalone settings dialogs in favor of unifying everything under SPL add-on settings. This means instead of Alt+NVDA+number row 1 opening end of track dialog, it’ll open Alarms category in add-on settings instead. Besides, since all alarm settings are housed under one category, it would make lives of users easier by presenting all alarm settings at once. I know that some of you may not like the direction this is going, but when it comes to add-on maintenance, some things must be changed in order to make the add-on future-proof and react better to changes in NVDA itself.

 

Question to you all: is this the right way to go?

 

Related to this: I’m also thinking about removing stream label command (F12) from encoders as it duplicates encoder settings – the very first option in encoder settings is stream label. The reasoning is same as above.

 

If this direction is adopted, it’ll be done in stages:

 

  1. Version 20.04: change error messages when trying to open add-on settings dialog if another SPL add-on settings dialog is active (implemented).
  2. Sometime in summer 2020 (winter in southern hemisphere): implement necessary changes so you can open specific parts of add-on settings using commands formerly used to open dedicated settings dialogs (see the example above). You will be able to toggle between “old” and “new” behavior for a time.
  3. Later in 2020: if approved, make the new behavior the default.
  4. Old code will not be removed – just commented out, as there are places where they can be used.
  5. Sometime in the future: remove old code.

 

Comments are appreciated.

Cheers,

Joseph

Selecting Cells in Table

Bhavya shah
 

Dear all,

The current scenario is that I am on a standard table on a webpage
displayed by Firefox. I am seeking to select multiple cells of a
specific column.
1 Shift+Ctrl+Alt+arrow keys don't produce any effect.
* Shift +Ctrl+arrow keys keep selecting the subsequent cell, i.e. the
next cell in the same row as opposed to the next cell in the column.
I would appreciate any methods or tricks to accomplish what I am trying to do.

Thanks.

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Blogger at Hiking Across Horizons: https://bhavyashah125.wordpress.com/
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@...
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/bhavyashah125/

installing the driver for the Alan voice

Rosemarie Chavarria
 

Hi, everyone,


How do I install the driver for the Alan RH voice?


Thanks.


Rosemarie

Re: NVDA Installation failed

Quentin Christensen
 

Hi Sandra,

Thanks for following up, I appreciate the clarification.

Setting my system language to German, I can replicate this.  We'll look into it.

Quentin.

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 11:10 PM Sandra Pilz <sandra914481@...> wrote:

Hi Quentin,


You wrote:

When you originally went to install, did you get the UAC prompt from Windows itself about installing the program?  You get that for any program you install, but sometimes it pops up and doesn't get focus so you aren't alerted to it and even visually it's not obvious.  If you don't answer Yes to the UAC prompt within about 20 seconds, it times out and denies the program from installing.


Yes, I did see it, but the UAC prompt isn't the problem, I always answer Yes using the alt Y or in my case alt+j shortcut (German windows), and the installation continues. I don't wait for 20 seconds for something to happen.


The only other thing I was thinking was if you had controlled folder access set, it will install NVDA but not create the desktop shortcut.  If that was the issue though, it wouldn't have worked any better with NVDA 2019.1 than 2019.3.

No, I don't have controlled folder access set. I checked this when it didn't work, because I knew it could be a problem. No, it's not active.


I do think there is a problem with the installation of 2019.3 though, because a lady on the German NVDA list reported the same problem. She's a very competent computer user and I'm sure she, too, knows how to deal with UAC. Maybe it doesn't affect systems where English is the default language... And maybe it wasn't reported much, because many people using NVDA 2019.3 will have updated an older version and won't have encountered this issue, because the shortcut and start menu entries had already been created by a previous installation of an older version of NVDA...


I, however, attempted a fresh install on a new machine.


Best


Sandra


Regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 2:43 AM Sandra Pilz <sandra914481@...> wrote:
Hi Felix,


Thanks for your help. Unfortunately setting the NVDA language to English
didn't help. The failed installation not only faild to create the
desktop shortcut, but also didn't create NVDA entries in the start menu.
I installed NVDA 2019.1 first and then updated to 2019.3.1, that did the
trick.


Best


Sandra

Am 04.03.2020 um 13:22 schrieb Felix G.:
> Hello Sandra,
> the installation failed because NVDA was unable to create its desktop
> shortcut, for reasons I cannot begin to guess. I can think of two
> options:
> 1. Install without creating a desktop shortcut, then create one manually.
> 2. Sometimes, switching the NVDA language to English before installing
> fixes this problem. If you feel comfortable doing this, it may be the
> cleaner option.
> Hope this helps,
> Felix
>
> Am Mi., 4. März 2020 um 14:11 Uhr schrieb Sandra Pilz <sandra914481@...>:
>> Hello,
>>
>>
>> I'm trying to install NVDA on a new machine running Windows 10 pro 1909.
>>
>>
>> I'm running  the installation file as administrator. I'm getting the message that installing NVDA has failed.
>>
>>
>> Please also see the log included below.
>>
>>
>> Does anyone know what the problem might be and how to solve it??
>>
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>>
>> Sandra
>>
>>
>> INFO - __main__ (13:56:46.002) - MainThread (10924):
>> Starting NVDA version 2019.3.1
>> INFO - core.main (13:56:46.082) - MainThread (10924):
>> Config dir: C:\Users\sandr\AppData\Roaming\nvda
>> INFO - config.ConfigManager._loadConfig (13:56:46.082) - MainThread (10924):
>> Loading config: C:\Users\sandr\AppData\Roaming\nvda\nvda.ini
>> INFO - core.main (13:56:46.122) - MainThread (10924):
>> Using Windows version 10.0.18363 workstation
>> INFO - core.main (13:56:46.122) - MainThread (10924):
>> Using Python version 3.7.5 (tags/v3.7.5:5c02a39a0b, Oct 14 2019, 23:09:19) [MSC v.1916 32 bit (Intel)]
>> INFO - core.main (13:56:46.122) - MainThread (10924):
>> Using comtypes version 1.1.7
>> INFO - core.main (13:56:46.122) - MainThread (10924):
>> Using configobj version 5.1.0 with validate version 1.0.1
>> INFO - synthDriverHandler.setSynth (13:56:46.402) - MainThread (10924):
>> Loaded synthDriver oneCore
>> INFO - core.main (13:56:46.402) - MainThread (10924):
>> Using wx version 4.0.3 msw (phoenix) wxWidgets 3.0.5 with six version 1.12.0
>> INFO - brailleInput.initialize (13:56:46.407) - MainThread (10924):
>> Braille input initialized
>> INFO - braille.initialize (13:56:46.407) - MainThread (10924):
>> Using liblouis version 3.10.0
>> INFO - braille.initialize (13:56:46.407) - MainThread (10924):
>> Using pySerial version 3.4
>> INFO - braille.BrailleHandler.setDisplayByName (13:56:46.412) - MainThread (10924):
>> Loaded braille display driver noBraille, current display has 0 cells.
>> INFO - brailleDisplayDrivers.handyTech.BrailleDisplayDriver.__init__ (13:56:46.464) - braille._BgThread (11016):
>> Found Easy Braille connected via hid (\\?\hid#vid_1fe4&pid_0044#7&7f9a61d&0&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030})
>> INFO - braille.BrailleHandler.setDisplayByName (13:56:46.472) - braille._BgThread (11016):
>> Loaded braille display driver handyTech, current display has 40 cells.
>> INFO - core.main (13:56:46.582) - MainThread (10924):
>> Java Access Bridge support initialized
>> INFO - _UIAHandler.UIAHandler.MTAThreadFunc (13:56:46.582) - _UIAHandler.UIAHandler.MTAThread (11020):
>> UIAutomation: IUIAutomation6
>> INFO - core.main (13:56:46.762) - MainThread (10924):
>> NVDA initialized
>> ERROR - RPC process 8756 (nvda_slave.exe) (13:57:05.773) - Dummy-1 (10840):
>> __main__.main:
>> slave error
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>    File "nvda_slave.pyw", line 47, in main
>>    File "installer.pyc", line 454, in install
>>    File "installer.pyc", line 261, in registerInstallation
>>    File "installer.pyc", line 58, in createShortcut
>>    File "comtypes\client\lazybind.pyc", line 218, in __setattr__
>>    File "comtypes\automation.pyc", line 729, in _invoke
>> _ctypes.COMError: (-2147352567, 'Ausnahmefehler aufgetreten.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
>> ERROR - gui.installerGui.doInstall (13:57:05.793) - MainThread (10924):
>> Installation failed: 1
>>
>>
>>
>
>





--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager




--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager


locked Re: off topic: to the christians of the list: anyone who is interested in religious and technology discussions:

 

Kerryn,

          If you still have the original message there should be a "Reply to Sender" link at the bottom that, if activated, will open your e-mail or webmail prepopulating the To: field with the message sender's address and the subject with the topic title (prefixed with RE: I think - it's been a while).

At this point, this topic is locked.  Please feel free to continue this conversation, if desired, in the NVDA Chat Subgroup, which is for any non-NVDA topic that any member of the NVDA Group community might like to discuss. Addresses for the Chat Subgroup are on the previously noted page, under the section Group Email Addresses.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.

       ~ Madonna

 

 

locked Re: off topic: to the christians of the list: anyone who is interested in religious and technology discussions:

David Moore
 

Hi!

Yes, I would absolute love to talk about those things!

I love mixing technology with religion! What is your email?

Like the response below, I do not see your email in your post either!

Please give your email, and I would love to get in touch with you privately!

David Moore

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, March 5, 2020 5:09 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] off topic: to the christians of the list: anyone who isinterested in religious and technology discussions:

 

what's your email address

 

----- Original Message -----

From: "zahra" <nasrinkhaksar3@...>

To: <nvda@groups.io>

Sent: Thursday, March 5, 2020 1:30 AM

Subject: [nvda] off topic: to the christians of the list: anyone who is

interested in religious and technology discussions:

 

 

> hi.

> i am interested in discussion about technology, softwares, and

> religious discussions.

> anyone who is interested to discuss these matters,

> please email me i am waiting for you!

> God bless you all!

> --

> By God,

> were I given all the seven heavens

> with all they contain

> in order that

> I may disobey God

> by depriving an ant

> from the husk of a grain of barley,

> I would not do it.

> imam ali

>

>

 

 

 

 

locked Re: off topic: to the christians of the list: anyone who is interested in religious and technology discussions:

Nimer Jaber
 

Hmmm. If a topic is off topic, it probably should not be started.

Thanks.

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 2:09 PM Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io <k_gunness=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:
what's your email address

----- Original Message -----
From: "zahra" <nasrinkhaksar3@...>
To: <nvda@groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, March 5, 2020 1:30 AM
Subject: [nvda] off topic: to the christians of the list: anyone who is
interested in religious and technology discussions:


> hi.
> i am interested in discussion about technology, softwares, and
> religious discussions.
> anyone who is interested to discuss these matters,
> please email me i am waiting for you!
> God bless you all!
>
> --
> By God,
> were I given all the seven heavens
> with all they contain
> in order that
> I may disobey God
> by depriving an ant
> from the husk of a grain of barley,
> I would not do it.
> imam ali
>
>
>






--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

The message above is intended for the recipient to whom it was
addressed. If you believe that you are not the intended recipient,
please notify me via reply email and destroy all copies of this
correspondence. Action taken as a result of this email or its contents
by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) may result in civil or
criminal charges. I have checked this email and all corresponding
attachments for security threats. However, security of your machine is
up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

To find out about a free and versatile screen reader for windows XP
and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter for the latest technology news.

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (970) (393-4481) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly. Thank
you, and have a great day!

locked Re: off topic: to the christians of the list: anyone who is interested in religious and technology discussions:

Kerryn Gunness
 

what's your email address

----- Original Message -----
From: "zahra" <nasrinkhaksar3@...>
To: <nvda@groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, March 5, 2020 1:30 AM
Subject: [nvda] off topic: to the christians of the list: anyone who is interested in religious and technology discussions:


hi.
i am interested in discussion about technology, softwares, and
religious discussions.
anyone who is interested to discuss these matters,
please email me i am waiting for you!
God bless you all!

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

NVDA ebooks: Is there one for Access?

Mallard
 

Hello all,


Years ago I bought an ebook to learn to use NVDA with Word.


Is there anything like it for Access?


If not, is there any other material to learn how to use Access with nVDA?


Many thanks in advance.

Ciao,

Ollie

locked Re: nvda caret movement timeout:

 

And now that our Group Owner, Nimer Jaber, has just about covered all responses that are needed to this topic, it's officially run its course.

This topic is now locked.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.

       ~ Madonna

 

 

locked Re: nvda caret movement timeout:

Nimer Jaber
 

Having an argument about what is or is not hijacked is probably not a great idea. Just sayin'.


On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 12:06 PM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
It isn't hijacked.  the content is related.  The symptoms described are those that may be related to the carret timeout.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2020 1:47 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda caret movement timeout:

Yo Sam you just hijacked a thread young man. The mods have talked about this various times. So watch it!

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Sent from Mail for Windows 10

                                                                                                               

 

From: Sam Bushman
Sent: Thursday, March 5, 2020 2:41 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda caret movement timeout:

 

Hi All,

                                               

I am having problems in FileZilla

When I arrow through the list of entries to connect to in the site manager I get the old entry I just left before I hear the correct entry.

I tried to change the value mentioned below and it doesn’t make any difference.

I even increased the default from 100 to 500 and same issue.

 

Hope this helps with an example. Can anyone duplicate this?

I didn’t have this issue in earlier versions.

 

Thanks,

Sam

P.S. Latest version of FileZilla

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, March 5, 2020 12:33 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda caret movement timeout:

 

It is very unlikely that this option related to carret timeout is available in any of the 17.x series.  I have 17.1 and it isn't in that version.  In the 19.x series, there is an item in settings called advanced.  The setting is there.  there is no advanced item in 17.1 and it is very unlikely there is an advanced option in any of that series.


Also, it is under the browse mode grouping, which raises the question of where it works.  The manual entry begins as follows:

Caret move timeout (in MS)
What does In MS mean?  Does it specifically mean in specific circumstances such as browse mode or perhaps in specific situations using UIA?  I have no idea but it must mean some sort of limitation or why would it be there? 

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2020 1:01 PM

Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda caret movement timeout:

 

I am unaware of such a setting.  Window-eyes used to have one but I know of no other screen-reader that does.  What programs does this happen in?  Are you running anything in  the background?  I wonder if something is slowing something down and causing the problem.  What synthesizer are you using?

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: zahra

Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2020 12:25 PM

Subject: [nvda] nvda caret movement timeout:

 

hello everyone.
in nvda 2017.3, how can i increase caret movement timeout?
i face repeating characters, lines word,
or announcement of wrong character by nvda.
thanks and God bless you!

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

 



--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

The message above is intended for the recipient to whom it was
addressed. If you believe that you are not the intended recipient,
please notify me via reply email and destroy all copies of this
correspondence. Action taken as a result of this email or its contents
by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) may result in civil or
criminal charges. I have checked this email and all corresponding
attachments for security threats. However, security of your machine is
up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

To find out about a free and versatile screen reader for windows XP
and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter for the latest technology news.

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (970) (393-4481) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly. Thank
you, and have a great day!

locked Re: nvda caret movement timeout:

Nimer Jaber
 

This is why, if you are unsure of what an answer is, it's a great idea to listen, step back, and allow others to answer.


On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 12:02 PM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
I see.  I mistakenly thought MS referred to Microsoft so I thought it was a specialized use.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Joseph Lee
Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2020 1:38 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda caret movement timeout:

Hi,

Milliseconds.

Items in “advanced” category are meant for use by power users and developers – as such, they should not be changed by users unless asked to do so. For this reason, there is a checkbox that must be checked in order to change anything in that category.

Cheers,

Joseph

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, March 5, 2020 11:33 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda caret movement timeout:

 

It is very unlikely that this option related to carret timeout is available in any of the 17.x series.  I have 17.1 and it isn't in that version.  In the 19.x series, there is an item in settings called advanced.  The setting is there.  there is no advanced item in 17.1 and it is very unlikely there is an advanced option in any of that series.


Also, it is under the browse mode grouping, which raises the question of where it works.  The manual entry begins as follows:

Caret move timeout (in MS)
What does In MS mean?  Does it specifically mean in specific circumstances such as browse mode or perhaps in specific situations using UIA?  I have no idea but it must mean some sort of limitation or why would it be there? 

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2020 1:01 PM

Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda caret movement timeout:

 

I am unaware of such a setting.  Window-eyes used to have one but I know of no other screen-reader that does.  What programs does this happen in?  Are you running anything in  the background?  I wonder if something is slowing something down and causing the problem.  What synthesizer are you using?

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: zahra

Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2020 12:25 PM

Subject: [nvda] nvda caret movement timeout:

 

hello everyone.
in nvda 2017.3, how can i increase caret movement timeout?
i face repeating characters, lines word,
or announcement of wrong character by nvda.
thanks and God bless you!

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali



--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

The message above is intended for the recipient to whom it was
addressed. If you believe that you are not the intended recipient,
please notify me via reply email and destroy all copies of this
correspondence. Action taken as a result of this email or its contents
by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) may result in civil or
criminal charges. I have checked this email and all corresponding
attachments for security threats. However, security of your machine is
up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

To find out about a free and versatile screen reader for windows XP
and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter for the latest technology news.

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (970) (393-4481) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly. Thank
you, and have a great day!

locked Re: nvda caret movement timeout:

Nimer Jaber
 

This discussion of groupings is a great tip for how to navigate dialogs and what to pay attention to, but it does not seem that it is on topic for this thread.


On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 11:59 AM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
In a related matter which is of increasing importance when looking through program settings, groupings are used which you hear announced.  Don't skip things or move to quickly in unfamiliar settings areas.  You may miss important information by attenuating it.  I said that this setting is in the browse mode grouping, and so it is.  In Firefox these days, in options, when you tab around, you will find grouping after grouping.  and that is what you will find in ribbons.  I don't know what it looks like visually, but when you tab around in Firefox options in the current and recent versions, you will hear grouping after grouping.  So I suspect this looks something like ribbons.  There are a very large number of items to tab through in the options dialog, just as ribbons have a lot more items to tab through than menus.  All these things are related.  Program design is changing.  I'm not dictating to anyone what to do.  I am saying that these things are related and those who want to understand how to use interfaces efficiently as they change would do well to be aware of what I am discussing.  You won't escape these changes by avoiding ribbons because other programs are adopting interfaces that derive from  ribbons, though they aren't ribbons.  Paying attention to groupings as you move will help you find things more efficiently and understand if they apply to what you are doing.
Further discussion should probably be in the chat list unless a question about the NVDA interface is involved. 
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Gene
Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2020 1:33 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda caret movement timeout:

It is very unlikely that this option related to carret timeout is available in any of the 17.x series.  I have 17.1 and it isn't in that version.  In the 19.x series, there is an item in settings called advanced.  The setting is there.  there is no advanced item in 17.1 and it is very unlikely there is an advanced option in any of that series.

Also, it is under the browse mode grouping, which raises the question of where it works.  The manual entry begins as follows:
Caret move timeout (in MS)
What does In MS mean?  Does it specifically mean in specific circumstances such as browse mode or perhaps in specific situations using UIA?  I have no idea but it must mean some sort of limitation or why would it be there? 
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2020 1:01 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda caret movement timeout:

I am unaware of such a setting.  Window-eyes used to have one but I know of no other screen-reader that does.  What programs does this happen in?  Are you running anything in  the background?  I wonder if something is slowing something down and causing the problem.  What synthesizer are you using?
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: zahra
Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2020 12:25 PM
Subject: [nvda] nvda caret movement timeout:

hello everyone.
in nvda 2017.3, how can i increase caret movement timeout?
i face repeating characters, lines word,
or announcement of wrong character by nvda.
thanks and God bless you!

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali




--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

The message above is intended for the recipient to whom it was
addressed. If you believe that you are not the intended recipient,
please notify me via reply email and destroy all copies of this
correspondence. Action taken as a result of this email or its contents
by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) may result in civil or
criminal charges. I have checked this email and all corresponding
attachments for security threats. However, security of your machine is
up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

To find out about a free and versatile screen reader for windows XP
and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter for the latest technology news.

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (970) (393-4481) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly. Thank
you, and have a great day!

locked Re: nvda caret movement timeout:

Nimer Jaber
 

Hello Lino,

I don't remember making you moderator, or allowing you to tell people to watch anything. Your message alerting moderators to a possible hijack would be appreciated though. Please refrain from such messages in future.

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 11:48 AM Lino Morales <linomorales001@...> wrote:

Yo Sam you just hijacked a thread young man. The mods have talked about this various times. So watch it!

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Sent from Mail for Windows 10

                                                                                                               

 

From: Sam Bushman
Sent: Thursday, March 5, 2020 2:41 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda caret movement timeout:

 

Hi All,

                                               

I am having problems in FileZilla

When I arrow through the list of entries to connect to in the site manager I get the old entry I just left before I hear the correct entry.

I tried to change the value mentioned below and it doesn’t make any difference.

I even increased the default from 100 to 500 and same issue.

 

Hope this helps with an example. Can anyone duplicate this?

I didn’t have this issue in earlier versions.

 

Thanks,

Sam

P.S. Latest version of FileZilla

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, March 5, 2020 12:33 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda caret movement timeout:

 

It is very unlikely that this option related to carret timeout is available in any of the 17.x series.  I have 17.1 and it isn't in that version.  In the 19.x series, there is an item in settings called advanced.  The setting is there.  there is no advanced item in 17.1 and it is very unlikely there is an advanced option in any of that series.


Also, it is under the browse mode grouping, which raises the question of where it works.  The manual entry begins as follows:

Caret move timeout (in MS)
What does In MS mean?  Does it specifically mean in specific circumstances such as browse mode or perhaps in specific situations using UIA?  I have no idea but it must mean some sort of limitation or why would it be there? 

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2020 1:01 PM

Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda caret movement timeout:

 

I am unaware of such a setting.  Window-eyes used to have one but I know of no other screen-reader that does.  What programs does this happen in?  Are you running anything in  the background?  I wonder if something is slowing something down and causing the problem.  What synthesizer are you using?

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: zahra

Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2020 12:25 PM

Subject: [nvda] nvda caret movement timeout:

 

hello everyone.
in nvda 2017.3, how can i increase caret movement timeout?
i face repeating characters, lines word,
or announcement of wrong character by nvda.
thanks and God bless you!

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

 



--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

The message above is intended for the recipient to whom it was
addressed. If you believe that you are not the intended recipient,
please notify me via reply email and destroy all copies of this
correspondence. Action taken as a result of this email or its contents
by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) may result in civil or
criminal charges. I have checked this email and all corresponding
attachments for security threats. However, security of your machine is
up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

To find out about a free and versatile screen reader for windows XP
and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter for the latest technology news.

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (970) (393-4481) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly. Thank
you, and have a great day!

locked Re: nvda caret movement timeout:

Nimer Jaber
 

This question about Filezilla could be split into another thread. It would be good for archival purposes, but more importantly it may be that users would respond to the query if the subject said something about filezilla and NVDA. It should not be expected that users have to dig through a thread which has already seen many messages in order to answer a question on filezilla.

Thanks.

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 11:41 AM Sam Bushman <libertyroundtable@...> wrote:

Hi All,

                                               

I am having problems in FileZilla

When I arrow through the list of entries to connect to in the site manager I get the old entry I just left before I hear the correct entry.

I tried to change the value mentioned below and it doesn’t make any difference.

I even increased the default from 100 to 500 and same issue.

 

Hope this helps with an example. Can anyone duplicate this?

I didn’t have this issue in earlier versions.

 

Thanks,

Sam

P.S. Latest version of FileZilla

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, March 5, 2020 12:33 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda caret movement timeout:

 

It is very unlikely that this option related to carret timeout is available in any of the 17.x series.  I have 17.1 and it isn't in that version.  In the 19.x series, there is an item in settings called advanced.  The setting is there.  there is no advanced item in 17.1 and it is very unlikely there is an advanced option in any of that series.


Also, it is under the browse mode grouping, which raises the question of where it works.  The manual entry begins as follows:

Caret move timeout (in MS)
What does In MS mean?  Does it specifically mean in specific circumstances such as browse mode or perhaps in specific situations using UIA?  I have no idea but it must mean some sort of limitation or why would it be there? 

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2020 1:01 PM

Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda caret movement timeout:

 

I am unaware of such a setting.  Window-eyes used to have one but I know of no other screen-reader that does.  What programs does this happen in?  Are you running anything in  the background?  I wonder if something is slowing something down and causing the problem.  What synthesizer are you using?

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: zahra

Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2020 12:25 PM

Subject: [nvda] nvda caret movement timeout:

 

hello everyone.
in nvda 2017.3, how can i increase caret movement timeout?
i face repeating characters, lines word,
or announcement of wrong character by nvda.
thanks and God bless you!

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali



--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

The message above is intended for the recipient to whom it was
addressed. If you believe that you are not the intended recipient,
please notify me via reply email and destroy all copies of this
correspondence. Action taken as a result of this email or its contents
by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) may result in civil or
criminal charges. I have checked this email and all corresponding
attachments for security threats. However, security of your machine is
up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

To find out about a free and versatile screen reader for windows XP
and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter for the latest technology news.

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (970) (393-4481) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly. Thank
you, and have a great day!

locked Re: nvda caret movement timeout:

Nimer Jaber
 

This is a good caution for users, thank you for providing that.


On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 11:38 AM Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi,

Milliseconds.

Items in “advanced” category are meant for use by power users and developers – as such, they should not be changed by users unless asked to do so. For this reason, there is a checkbox that must be checked in order to change anything in that category.

Cheers,

Joseph

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, March 5, 2020 11:33 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda caret movement timeout:

 

It is very unlikely that this option related to carret timeout is available in any of the 17.x series.  I have 17.1 and it isn't in that version.  In the 19.x series, there is an item in settings called advanced.  The setting is there.  there is no advanced item in 17.1 and it is very unlikely there is an advanced option in any of that series.


Also, it is under the browse mode grouping, which raises the question of where it works.  The manual entry begins as follows:

Caret move timeout (in MS)
What does In MS mean?  Does it specifically mean in specific circumstances such as browse mode or perhaps in specific situations using UIA?  I have no idea but it must mean some sort of limitation or why would it be there? 

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2020 1:01 PM

Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda caret movement timeout:

 

I am unaware of such a setting.  Window-eyes used to have one but I know of no other screen-reader that does.  What programs does this happen in?  Are you running anything in  the background?  I wonder if something is slowing something down and causing the problem.  What synthesizer are you using?

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: zahra

Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2020 12:25 PM

Subject: [nvda] nvda caret movement timeout:

 

hello everyone.
in nvda 2017.3, how can i increase caret movement timeout?
i face repeating characters, lines word,
or announcement of wrong character by nvda.
thanks and God bless you!

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali



--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

The message above is intended for the recipient to whom it was
addressed. If you believe that you are not the intended recipient,
please notify me via reply email and destroy all copies of this
correspondence. Action taken as a result of this email or its contents
by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) may result in civil or
criminal charges. I have checked this email and all corresponding
attachments for security threats. However, security of your machine is
up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

To find out about a free and versatile screen reader for windows XP
and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter for the latest technology news.

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (970) (393-4481) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly. Thank
you, and have a great day!

locked Re: nvda caret movement timeout:

Nimer Jaber
 

Again, if you don't know what version it's in, there is no reason to provide an answer. Also, the topic of groupings and basic dialog navigation wasn't even on topic for the thread. An answer was already provided, with supplemental text from the user guide and a location of where it came from, thus nothing else needs to be said.


On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 11:33 AM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
It is very unlikely that this option related to carret timeout is available in any of the 17.x series.  I have 17.1 and it isn't in that version.  In the 19.x series, there is an item in settings called advanced.  The setting is there.  there is no advanced item in 17.1 and it is very unlikely there is an advanced option in any of that series.

Also, it is under the browse mode grouping, which raises the question of where it works.  The manual entry begins as follows:
Caret move timeout (in MS)
What does In MS mean?  Does it specifically mean in specific circumstances such as browse mode or perhaps in specific situations using UIA?  I have no idea but it must mean some sort of limitation or why would it be there? 
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2020 1:01 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda caret movement timeout:

I am unaware of such a setting.  Window-eyes used to have one but I know of no other screen-reader that does.  What programs does this happen in?  Are you running anything in  the background?  I wonder if something is slowing something down and causing the problem.  What synthesizer are you using?
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: zahra
Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2020 12:25 PM
Subject: [nvda] nvda caret movement timeout:

hello everyone.
in nvda 2017.3, how can i increase caret movement timeout?
i face repeating characters, lines word,
or announcement of wrong character by nvda.
thanks and God bless you!

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali




--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

The message above is intended for the recipient to whom it was
addressed. If you believe that you are not the intended recipient,
please notify me via reply email and destroy all copies of this
correspondence. Action taken as a result of this email or its contents
by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) may result in civil or
criminal charges. I have checked this email and all corresponding
attachments for security threats. However, security of your machine is
up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

To find out about a free and versatile screen reader for windows XP
and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter for the latest technology news.

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (970) (393-4481) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly. Thank
you, and have a great day!