Date   

Re: Using Thunderbird filters

Rosemarie Chavarria
 

Hi, Gene,

 

Here are the steps I took to create the rules. I'll use the music list I'm on as an example.

 

1. I went to tools with alt T and hit f for message filters.

2. I tabbed to the new button and hit the space bar on it.

3. I typed the name for my rule. It's called audioourplace. That's the music list I'm on.

4. I unchecked the box that says "manually check for new messages" or something like that.

5. Next, I tabbed to the box that says "match all of the following" and then tabbed to the combo box and chose the "to" field.

6. I tabbed to the box for "contains". Then I tabbed to an edit box and typed audioourplace@....

7. I tabbed to where you choose a folder. I chose the folder for the music list and hit enter on it.

8. I tabbed to the ok button and hit the space bar on it.

9. When I was taken back to the screen where you'd create a new rule, I tabbed to the run now button and hit enter on it. The filter did work for awhile but then I got new messages from that list in my inbox so I don't know where the problem could be.

 

I hope these steps explain better what I was trying to do.

 

Rosemarie

 

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2017 3:25 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Using Thunderbird filters

 

Then the question is, what is wrong with the rules that don't work?  Are you sure all the lists have what you tell the rule to look for where you tell it to look?  Are you sure the spelling is exactly correct for every item you are using?  I'm not sure what else might account for some of the rules not working. 

 

It might be that if you wrote out every step for a rule that doesn't work, that someone will be able to find the error.  That is tedious but it may work.  It might be much faster and more likely to find the error to work with someone.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2017 12:36 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Using Thunderbird filters

 

I created rules for all the lists that I'm on.

 

 

 

On 10/25/2017 5:12 PM, Gene wrote:

What do you mean some other messages from other lists.  If your rule only applies to messages with one list name, then no other messages will be affected.  You need to make a separate rule for every list.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

 

Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 6:09 PM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Using Thunderbird filters

 

Hi, Robert,

 

I already did all that. Some other messages from the other lists are still going into the inbox. I don't know what else to do.

 

Rosemarie

 

 

 

On 10/25/2017 4:07 PM, Robert Mendoza wrote:

subject line is intended to change to avoid confusion of the thread. About your concern for filtering particular message into your inbox in Thunderbird. you have to make sure that your focus is located to the message that is not open yet, then tab several times till the focus is directed in the recipient column. Right click then select Create Filter From. The rest of the filters process is the same as mentioned below by John. Also, make sure you uncheck the filter by manually so that it will run automatically into your corresponding filtered of your choice.

Robert Mendoza

On 10/26/2017 6:36 AM, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:

Hi, John,


Let's say you want to run a filter on a message that comes into the inbox. I've pretty muchcreated the filters but there are messages till coming into the inbox from other lists. How do you run a filter on a message?


Thanks.


Rosemarie



On 10/25/2017 3:03 PM, John Isige wrote:

1. Go to the tools menu, pick message filters.


2. Tab to the new button.


3. Fill in whatever rules you want, e.g. from in the combo box, tell it to match nvda.


4. For the next two combo boxes, it will probably be easiest to hit alt-down arrow and expand them. Just pick whatever you like, I move mine to a folder called nvda that I made.


5. To make a folder, just pick folder from the new menu in the file menu, do that before you do a filter if you want to move stuff, because the folder has to exist for you to pick it. If you want the folder in the main account, i.e. another folder like inbox, before you make the folder, highlight your account name with the arrows. If you want everything under your inbox, so you have to hit right arrow to expand folders, highlight your inbox. The difference is that if you highlight the account, you can down arrow, so you'll get inbox, your folder, sent, trash, whatever. If you do it highlighting the inbox, inbox usually starts collapsed and you have to hit right arrow to expand it, then you hit down arrow to get to those folders, you'll go through whatever you made, then you'll get back to sent, trash, whatever.


If that's confusing somehow, feel free to ask questions.


On 10/25/2017 13:26, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:

Hi, John,


How do you create filters in thunderbird or do you just delete them after reading or replying to them? Outlook is ok but It's a bit clunky.


Rosemarie




On 10/25/2017 10:02 AM, John Isige wrote:

Microsoft's various mail programs have always been weird though. I used to use Outlook, the one that came in Office. Then I had to upgrade or migrate machines or whatever. So I exported mail and everything just like you're supposed to. Got everything installed, imported into the new Outlook. Suddenly none of my filtering rules to send messages to specific folders would work. So I literally deleted them all and recreated them from scratch, and they still wouldn't work. That's when I switched to Thunderbird and I've been using it ever since.











 

 

 


Excel Macro editing

Chris Mullins
 

Hi

Using W10 Home, NVDA 17.3 ms Excel 2007.

There have been long-standing issues where NVDA  does not work properly when editing macro VBA code and cell formulae in Excel 2007.  When navigating VBA code line by line with arrow keys, NVDA will randomly miss out speaking lines of code and when editing formulae, it will randomly miss out voicing some characters, occasionally saying space instead, when using the arrow keys to move character by character.  Has anyone had these issues and found any solutions, maybe in later Excel versions?   

 

Cheers

Chris


Re: Touch Screens and Keymap file

 

Hi,
You say you have my (Enhanced Touch Gestures) add-on installed? If so, you can navigate through headings by switching to web mode (three finger single tap), flicking up or down to switch between modes until you arrive at "headings", then flick left or right.
As for gesture remapping: depends on what you wish to do. The thing is, some commands can be reassigned if you are entering input gestures dialog from somewhere (from a web browser, for instance in order to change browse mode commands). You also need to know the NVDA functions bound to key commands so you can reassign swipes.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Adlevision
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2017 9:58 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Touch Screens and Keymap file

I just purchased a Yoga 720, largely to play with the touch screen. I’m using the Enhanced Touch Gestures add-on. As noted by others, it’s hit and miss with NVDA (and just all “miss” with Jaws 2018 in my experience thus far). Questions and issues:
1) The Input Gestures dialog will not allow me to change touch gestures that involve swipes, because all swipes in this dialog are recognized as “hover down.” Others experience this?

2) A workaround I thought of would be to manually edit the gesture map file, if such exists, but I can’t find one, either in the nvda directory or appdata directory. I find nvda.ini and gestures.ini, but neither seems to be the repository for all the mappings. Is this a dead end?

3) NVDA loses focus quite readily, particularly in Web documents in Chrome (and presumably other browsers). This may be because flicking up/down in object mode will move focus away from the Web page. It’s hard to get it back. Hence my desire to redo some of the gestures to (a) make it easier to navigate by heading and (b) make it harder to flick into other spaces in the UI tree.

Touch has an incredible amount of promise. It’s very responsive and almost makes the Windows 10 layout make sense. Few people seem to be using it, but I hope development continues. If the above issues are unresolvable right now, I might return the laptop and stick with my old MBA bootcamp partition. Thanks for any feedback.


Firefox, to Joseph and others

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

Maybe this needs a blog post on the nvda web site or even a mention in the upcoming versions manual or read me, as otherwise people might be unaware of the impending upheaval.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.


Re: Firefox auto update

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

Reading all of this stuff about Firefox 75, I may actually chance it when it has been out for a while, and then regress all the way back to 52 if it proves to be an issue later on. The reason for 52 is that this seems to be the one chosen to remain getting security updates, even though 55 is the last bugless versio, which I'm using now. as long as I can get the 32 bit versions and avoid the 64 bit ones I think this should work.
The add ons and stuff should be ok as should the bookmarks etc.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene" <gsasner@ripco.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2017 3:03 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Firefox auto update


Turn off updates in the program. Programs usually allow you to turn off updates in the program. Do you know how to look through options? In the advanced settings, there is a section for turning off updates. If you need to know how to find the update section, ask here.

Gene
----- Original Message -----

From: Don H
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2017 8:17 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Firefox auto update


I notice in programs and features there is a entry for Mozilla update
service. If I remove this program does it stop automatic updates of
Firefox and Thunderbird?


Touch Screens and Keymap file

Adlevision
 

I just purchased a Yoga 720, largely to play with the touch screen. I’m using the Enhanced Touch Gestures add-on. As noted by others, it’s hit and miss with NVDA (and just all “miss” with Jaws 2018 in my experience thus far). Questions and issues:
1) The Input Gestures dialog will not allow me to change touch gestures that involve swipes, because all swipes in this dialog are recognized as “hover down.” Others experience this?

2) A workaround I thought of would be to manually edit the gesture map file, if such exists, but I can’t find one, either in the nvda directory or appdata directory. I find nvda.ini and gestures.ini, but neither seems to be the repository for all the mappings. Is this a dead end?

3) NVDA loses focus quite readily, particularly in Web documents in Chrome (and presumably other browsers). This may be because flicking up/down in object mode will move focus away from the Web page. It’s hard to get it back. Hence my desire to redo some of the gestures to (a) make it easier to navigate by heading and (b) make it harder to flick into other spaces in the UI tree.

Touch has an incredible amount of promise. It’s very responsive and almost makes the Windows 10 layout make sense. Few people seem to be using it, but I hope development continues. If the above issues are unresolvable right now, I might return the laptop and stick with my old MBA bootcamp partition. Thanks for any feedback.


Re: Firefox auto update

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

No you can turn them off in options though.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don H" <lmddh50@adams.net>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2017 2:17 PM
Subject: [nvda] Firefox auto update


I notice in programs and features there is a entry for Mozilla update service. If I remove this program does it stop automatic updates of Firefox and Thunderbird?



Re: Firefox auto update

Gene
 

Turn off updates in the program.  Programs usually allow you to turn off updates in the program.  Do you know how to look through options?  In the advanced settings, there is a section for turning off updates.  If you need to know how to find the update section, ask here. 
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
From: Don H
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2017 8:17 AM
Subject: [nvda] Firefox auto update

I notice in programs and features there is a entry for Mozilla update
service.  If I remove this program does it stop automatic updates of
Firefox and Thunderbird?




Firefox auto update

Don H
 

I notice in programs and features there is a entry for Mozilla update service. If I remove this program does it stop automatic updates of Firefox and Thunderbird?


Re: What's the simplest, most accessible calendar, please?

Mallard
 

Thanks Tony,

Will do.

Take care,

Ollie

Il 26/10/2017 12:12, Tony Ballou ha scritto:
Hi Allie,


Since they are using windows 7, have them check out the Blind Software
Planner program. I actually tested it out on a machine recently and It
works with NVDA.  Hope this helps.


Tony


On 10/25/2017 11:28 AM, Mallard wrote:


Hello list,

A friend is asking me what is teh most accessible calendar to use with
NVDA and Windows7.

I use no calendars, and have Windows10, so I can be of no help.

Would anyone have suggestions, please?

Thanks in advance.
Ciao,
Ollie




Re: Mandatory advisory: when Firefox 57 lands, do NOT check "prevent accessibility services" checkbox

enes sarıbaş
 

hi,
Will there be a fix from nvaccess for this? Should I use ESR when 57 hits the air?

On 10/26/2017 7:57 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

As for that, it is due to the fact that Firefox is using multiple processes for accessibility routines, which impacts NVDA.

Cheers,

Joseph

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jaffar Sidek
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 9:49 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Mandatory advisory: when Firefox 57 lands, do NOT check "prevent accessibility services" checkbox

 

There will be a problem when browsing through very dense web pages with lots of links and info.  I just tried  facebook.com, talksport.com, bbcNews.com, these pages are so sluggish that it would be better to use internet explorer instead.  Cheers!

       

On 26/10/2017 12:19 PM, Gene New Zealand wrote:

Hi gene

 

I downloaded the 57 beta a little while ago and found the setting he was talking about. Mine was already unchecked. I downloaded the beta of 57 and i am just looking around now.

 

The menus are been spoken. The quick navigation keys seem to be working etc.

 

There is a little lag some times when you go to the menus and or left or right arrow. I was just having a look in the options section it looks like only 4 tabs now

 

I have read a couple of articles so far from our stuff website and gone back and forth between pages.

 

as mentioned there is a little lag at times seems no worser than 56 actually at a few times seemed quicker.

 

Now and again you have to refresh the page as like the page does not load and using the f5 key lets it load.

 

Gene nz

 

 

On 10/26/2017 4:43 PM, Gene wrote:

How do you disable it if you can't work with menus and all the other structures you discussed?  Can you use the command alt t then o to get into the options dialog and can it be worked with?  Are you saying that we need to check this check box in the options dialog?

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Joseph Lee

Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 10:34 PM

Subject: [nvda] Mandatory advisory: when Firefox 57 lands, do NOT check "prevent accessibility services" checkbox

 

Hi all,

Well, the tests ended so fast…

 

The following is a community-based advisory that is mandatory for you all to listen up and follow:

 

If Firefox 57 is set to prevent accessibility services, you won’t be able to use Firefox at all. The following NVDA features will fail:

 

  • Browse mode and focus mode
  • Web browser features such as elements list and first letter navigation commands
  • Object navigation and review modes
  • OCR functionality

 

ADVISORY: when Firefox 57 lands, DO NOT check “prevent accessibility services” checkbox in Firefox options. By default, this checkbox is unchecked.

 

Technical: NVDA uses mixture of code injection and accessibility API routines to access Firefox. However, when accessibility services are turned off, Firefox enters a mode where the UI and browse mode functionality will not work with screen readers. This means no announcements regarding menu bar, no toolbar navigation feedback, no feedback when you type into address bar, no browse mode and so on. The only way to restore it so far is disabling the checkbox described above until NVDA finds a way to interact with Firefox Quantum.

 

Cheers,

Joseph

 

--

Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

 



Re: heading level spoken

 

hi.
its a problem of some headings.
when there tags is not closed, every line is consider as a heading and
nvda says heading in any line!
hope that help, God bless you.

On 10/26/17, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@outlook.co.nz> wrote:
Hi


under the document formatting section in NVDA uncheck the reporting of
headings in it.


Save your settings to take effect if that is what you want.


Gene nz


On 10/26/2017 10:46 PM, Gary Metzler wrote:
Hi All,

I am using the latest windows and nvda. For some reason I am hearing the
words heading level when I go to some lines. What setting do I need to
change to stop this from happening? Thanks for any help.Regards, Gary
kn4ox


--
[Image NVDA certified expert]
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material
at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New
Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA
screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or
location) is near to you please visit
http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa
People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please
visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The
certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals
from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert
exam.
--
we have not sent you but as a mercy to the entire creation.
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration from prophet Mohammad is:
indeed, imam husayn is the beacon of guidance and the ark of salvation.
best website for studying islamic book in different languages
www.al-islam.org


Re: Firefox Quantum. ver 57 are we ready?

Mário Navarro
 


hi.


These are the days in which accessibility has gotten worse from year to year.
and the predictions for the future are not positive.
I'm still with the 53 version and won't update until things get resolved.

cheers.


Às 04:36 de 26/10/2017, Gene New Zealand escreveu:

Hi


I thought that was only for jaws users? as where the message came into my inbox referred to it.


That was why i was asking the question. I just downloaded the beta version on this machine but is a quad core and will also try it on a duel core to see how well or not nvda goes with it. I am guessing our developers might be ahead with the work on it.


I will also sus out the link as well.


Gene nz



On 10/26/2017 3:12 PM, Jaffar Sidek wrote:

There will be problems using ScreenReders with the Firefox Quantum due to be released on November 14th.  It is advised that the ESR version of Firefox should be installed and your current personal Firefox version be uninstalled to prevent it from automatically updating to the latest but broken Firefox Quantum, as far as ScreenReader usability goes.  Go here to download FireFox ESR to maintain ScreenReader usability as this version won't be updated until June of next year, by which time, it is hoped that the personal edition of Firefox and ScreenReader usability will be resolved.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/

Plese press T to find the table of available languages, plus Operating Systems,  and arrow down to the appropriate language and OS of your choice.  Unfortunately, the navigation of this table is not made any easier due to the lack of hadings, but patiently scroll down with your arrow key and you should find what you need.  Cheers!


On 26/10/2017 8:46 AM, Gene wrote:
The free upgrade won't be available after a time, I think it's a few months from now.  but you don't have to upgrade and remain upgraded.  You can upgrade and then go back to whatever you are using now.  Then, since you have upgraded, you can upgrade again later if you wish.  I don't know the details of how you upgrade again and from what I've read, if you upgrade and then downgrade, you have to do some things to get everything back as it was.  Just because the free upgrade is going away, that doesn't mean you have to do anything.  How old is your machine?  How likely is it that it will still be working when support ends for whatever version of Windows you are running now?  How old are your peripherals such as printer and scanner?  Are there Windows 10 drivers for them?  The free upgrade might not be so free.
 
Is there anything in Windows 10 you want? 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 7:35 PM
Subject: [nvda] Firefox Quantum. ver 57 are we ready?

Hi guys


I just had a email off another list to do with another screen reader to do with the new fire fox coming out next month the one stated in the subject line. Are we alright to go with it as of yet? or will we be aright with it in the next release of NVDA 2017.4 or the version after that.


I have not got that version on this system so do not know how well it works with it. From what i have been reading is more to do with multii thread machines.


And older machines will slow the right down as in searching for pages etc.


It looks also the free upgrade to windows 10 from 7,8 and 8.1 ends at the end of this year.


So if you are able to upgrade from those operating system either upgrade or after that date if you want to go to windows 10 you will have to pay.


There is also some other accessibility stuff that might be of interest to windows 10 creator update. For more info see the following link at https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/accessibility/2017/10/17/windows-10-accessibility-update/

Once i know also about the new browser and when we are able to go i will put it back across the list in atig in new zealand.


Gene nz


--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.


--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.


Re: Mandatory advisory: when Firefox 57 lands, do NOT check "prevent accessibility services" checkbox

Matt Turner
 

It really slows down. when trying to use netflix.com


On 10/26/2017 6:58 AM, Jaffar Sidek wrote:

Flaky at best.  Cheers!


On 26/10/2017 1:27 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:

Hi Joseph,


So if you leave that checkbox unchecked, how accessible is Firefox Quantum then?



On 10/25/2017 11:34 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi all,

Well, the tests ended so fast…

 

The following is a community-based advisory that is mandatory for you all to listen up and follow:

 

If Firefox 57 is set to prevent accessibility services, you won’t be able to use Firefox at all. The following NVDA features will fail:

 

  • Browse mode and focus mode
  • Web browser features such as elements list and first letter navigation commands
  • Object navigation and review modes
  • OCR functionality

 

ADVISORY: when Firefox 57 lands, DO NOT check “prevent accessibility services” checkbox in Firefox options. By default, this checkbox is unchecked.

 

Technical: NVDA uses mixture of code injection and accessibility API routines to access Firefox. However, when accessibility services are turned off, Firefox enters a mode where the UI and browse mode functionality will not work with screen readers. This means no announcements regarding menu bar, no toolbar navigation feedback, no feedback when you type into address bar, no browse mode and so on. The only way to restore it so far is disabling the checkbox described above until NVDA finds a way to interact with Firefox Quantum.

 

Cheers,

Joseph


-- 
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"



Re: Mandatory advisory: when Firefox 57 lands, do NOT check "prevent accessibility services" checkbox

Matt Turner
 

Hi.
I did this awhile ago, and the only way i could fix it, was to uninstall firefox, then delete the firefox default profile.

On 10/25/2017 11:50 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

You need to keep this checkbox unchecked. And I haven’t found an easy way to reverse this at the moment (Alt+T, O won’t work here).

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 8:43 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Mandatory advisory: when Firefox 57 lands, do NOT check "prevent accessibility services" checkbox

 

How do you disable it if you can't work with menus and all the other structures you discussed?  Can you use the command alt t then o to get into the options dialog and can it be worked with?  Are you saying that we need to check this check box in the options dialog?

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Joseph Lee

Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 10:34 PM

Subject: [nvda] Mandatory advisory: when Firefox 57 lands, do NOT check "prevent accessibility services" checkbox

 

Hi all,

Well, the tests ended so fast…

 

The following is a community-based advisory that is mandatory for you all to listen up and follow:

 

If Firefox 57 is set to prevent accessibility services, you won’t be able to use Firefox at all. The following NVDA features will fail:

 

  • Browse mode and focus mode
  • Web browser features such as elements list and first letter navigation commands
  • Object navigation and review modes
  • OCR functionality

 

ADVISORY: when Firefox 57 lands, DO NOT check “prevent accessibility services” checkbox in Firefox options. By default, this checkbox is unchecked.

 

Technical: NVDA uses mixture of code injection and accessibility API routines to access Firefox. However, when accessibility services are turned off, Firefox enters a mode where the UI and browse mode functionality will not work with screen readers. This means no announcements regarding menu bar, no toolbar navigation feedback, no feedback when you type into address bar, no browse mode and so on. The only way to restore it so far is disabling the checkbox described above until NVDA finds a way to interact with Firefox Quantum.

 

Cheers,

Joseph



Re: Firefox Quantum. ver 57 are we ready?

Matt Turner
 

Hi, yes I've played with it, but its very slow with NVDA.

Here's the blog post if that helps.

http://blog.freedomscientific.com/2017/10/25/important-information-for-users-of-mozilla-firefox/

On 10/25/2017 8:35 PM, Gene New Zealand wrote:

Hi guys


I just had a email off another list to do with another screen reader to do with the new fire fox coming out next month the one stated in the subject line. Are we alright to go with it as of yet? or will we be aright with it in the next release of NVDA 2017.4 or the version after that.


I have not got that version on this system so do not know how well it works with it. From what i have been reading is more to do with multii thread machines.


And older machines will slow the right down as in searching for pages etc.


It looks also the free upgrade to windows 10 from 7,8 and 8.1 ends at the end of this year.


So if you are able to upgrade from those operating system either upgrade or after that date if you want to go to windows 10 you will have to pay.


There is also some other accessibility stuff that might be of interest to windows 10 creator update. For more info see the following link at https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/accessibility/2017/10/17/windows-10-accessibility-update/

Once i know also about the new browser and when we are able to go i will put it back across the list in atig in new zealand.


Gene nz


--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.


Re: Mandatory advisory: when Firefox 57 lands, do NOT check "prevent accessibility services" checkbox

Jaffar Sidek
 

Flaky at best.  Cheers!


On 26/10/2017 1:27 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:

Hi Joseph,


So if you leave that checkbox unchecked, how accessible is Firefox Quantum then?



On 10/25/2017 11:34 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi all,

Well, the tests ended so fast…

 

The following is a community-based advisory that is mandatory for you all to listen up and follow:

 

If Firefox 57 is set to prevent accessibility services, you won’t be able to use Firefox at all. The following NVDA features will fail:

 

  • Browse mode and focus mode
  • Web browser features such as elements list and first letter navigation commands
  • Object navigation and review modes
  • OCR functionality

 

ADVISORY: when Firefox 57 lands, DO NOT check “prevent accessibility services” checkbox in Firefox options. By default, this checkbox is unchecked.

 

Technical: NVDA uses mixture of code injection and accessibility API routines to access Firefox. However, when accessibility services are turned off, Firefox enters a mode where the UI and browse mode functionality will not work with screen readers. This means no announcements regarding menu bar, no toolbar navigation feedback, no feedback when you type into address bar, no browse mode and so on. The only way to restore it so far is disabling the checkbox described above until NVDA finds a way to interact with Firefox Quantum.

 

Cheers,

Joseph


-- 
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"


Re: Mandatory advisory: when Firefox 57 lands, do NOT check "prevent accessibility services" checkbox

Jaffar Sidek
 

I was using Firefox quantum beta.  Seems to be slower than usual. , almost to the point of lagging sometimes.

On 26/10/2017 12:57 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

As for that, it is due to the fact that Firefox is using multiple processes for accessibility routines, which impacts NVDA.

Cheers,

Joseph

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jaffar Sidek
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 9:49 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Mandatory advisory: when Firefox 57 lands, do NOT check "prevent accessibility services" checkbox

 

There will be a problem when browsing through very dense web pages with lots of links and info.  I just tried  facebook.com, talksport.com, bbcNews.com, these pages are so sluggish that it would be better to use internet explorer instead.  Cheers!

       

On 26/10/2017 12:19 PM, Gene New Zealand wrote:

Hi gene

 

I downloaded the 57 beta a little while ago and found the setting he was talking about. Mine was already unchecked. I downloaded the beta of 57 and i am just looking around now.

 

The menus are been spoken. The quick navigation keys seem to be working etc.

 

There is a little lag some times when you go to the menus and or left or right arrow. I was just having a look in the options section it looks like only 4 tabs now

 

I have read a couple of articles so far from our stuff website and gone back and forth between pages.

 

as mentioned there is a little lag at times seems no worser than 56 actually at a few times seemed quicker.

 

Now and again you have to refresh the page as like the page does not load and using the f5 key lets it load.

 

Gene nz

 

 

On 10/26/2017 4:43 PM, Gene wrote:

How do you disable it if you can't work with menus and all the other structures you discussed?  Can you use the command alt t then o to get into the options dialog and can it be worked with?  Are you saying that we need to check this check box in the options dialog?

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Joseph Lee

Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 10:34 PM

Subject: [nvda] Mandatory advisory: when Firefox 57 lands, do NOT check "prevent accessibility services" checkbox

 

Hi all,

Well, the tests ended so fast…

 

The following is a community-based advisory that is mandatory for you all to listen up and follow:

 

If Firefox 57 is set to prevent accessibility services, you won’t be able to use Firefox at all. The following NVDA features will fail:

 

  • Browse mode and focus mode
  • Web browser features such as elements list and first letter navigation commands
  • Object navigation and review modes
  • OCR functionality

 

ADVISORY: when Firefox 57 lands, DO NOT check “prevent accessibility services” checkbox in Firefox options. By default, this checkbox is unchecked.

 

Technical: NVDA uses mixture of code injection and accessibility API routines to access Firefox. However, when accessibility services are turned off, Firefox enters a mode where the UI and browse mode functionality will not work with screen readers. This means no announcements regarding menu bar, no toolbar navigation feedback, no feedback when you type into address bar, no browse mode and so on. The only way to restore it so far is disabling the checkbox described above until NVDA finds a way to interact with Firefox Quantum.

 

Cheers,

Joseph

 

--

Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

 



Re: Mandatory advisory: when Firefox 57 lands, do NOT check "prevent accessibility services" checkbox

Gene
 

Why is anyone going to keep Firefox 55 up to date?  It isn't an ESR version.  Why don't you use the ESR version instead? 
 
By the way, I thought you were using version 45 because in your first message, you wrote 455. 
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2017 2:45 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Mandatory advisory: when Firefox 57 lands, do NOT check "prevent accessibility services" checkbox

Surely then this will still be the case for the sighted as well, so what is
the point in changing it?
I do not want to lose Firefox, IE is rubbish as its not being updated.
 As long as somebody keeps Firefox 55 up to date then I have a very good
feeling that a lot of people out there will want to keep it.
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jaffar Sidek" <jaffar.sidek10@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2017 5:48 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Mandatory advisory: when Firefox 57 lands, do NOT check
"prevent accessibility services" checkbox


> There will be a problem when browsing through very dense web pages with
> lots of links and info. I just tried facebook.com, talksport.com,
> bbcNews.com, these pages are so sluggish that it would be better to use
> internet explorer instead. Cheers!
>
>
>
> On 26/10/2017 12:19 PM, Gene New Zealand wrote:
>>
>> Hi gene
>>
>>
>> I downloaded the 57 beta a little while ago and found the setting he
>> was talking about. Mine was already unchecked. I downloaded the beta
>> of 57 and i am just looking around now.
>>
>>
>> The menus are been spoken. The quick navigation keys seem to be
>> working etc.
>>
>>
>> There is a little lag some times when you go to the menus and or left
>> or right arrow. I was just having a look in the options section it
>> looks like only 4 tabs now
>>
>>
>> I have read a couple of articles so far from our stuff website and
>> gone back and forth between pages.
>>
>>
>> as mentioned there is a little lag at times seems no worser than 56
>> actually at a few times seemed quicker.
>>
>>
>> Now and again you have to refresh the page as like the page does not
>> load and using the f5 key lets it load.
>>
>>
>> Gene nz
>>
>>
>>
>> On 10/26/2017 4:43 PM, Gene wrote:
>>> How do you disable it if you can't work with menus and all the other
>>> structures you discussed? Can you use the command alt t then o to
>>> get into the options dialog and can it be worked with? Are you
>>> saying that we need to check this check box in the options dialog?
>>> Gene
>>> ----- Original Message -----
>>> *From:* Joseph Lee <mailto:joseph.lee22590@...>
>>> *Sent:* Wednesday, October 25, 2017 10:34 PM
>>> *To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
>>> *Subject:* [nvda] Mandatory advisory: when Firefox 57 lands, do NOT
>>> check "prevent accessibility services" checkbox
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Well, the tests ended so fast…
>>>
>>> The following is a community-based advisory that is mandatory for you
>>> all to listen up and follow:
>>>
>>> If Firefox 57 is set to prevent accessibility services, you won’t be
>>> able to use Firefox at all. The following NVDA features will fail:
>>>
>>>   * Browse mode and focus mode
>>>   * Web browser features such as elements list and first letter
>>>     navigation commands
>>>   * Object navigation and review modes
>>>   * OCR functionality
>>>
>>> ADVISORY: when Firefox 57 lands, DO NOT check “prevent accessibility
>>> services” checkbox in Firefox options. By default, this checkbox is
>>> unchecked.
>>>
>>> Technical: NVDA uses mixture of code injection and accessibility API
>>> routines to access Firefox. However, when accessibility services are
>>> turned off, Firefox enters a mode where the UI and browse mode
>>> functionality will not work with screen readers. This means no
>>> announcements regarding menu bar, no toolbar navigation feedback, no
>>> feedback when you type into address bar, no browse mode and so on.
>>> The only way to restore it so far is disabling the checkbox described
>>> above until NVDA finds a way to interact with Firefox Quantum.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Joseph
>>>
>>
>> --
>> Image NVDA certified expert
>> Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related
>> material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where
>> you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can
>> use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To
>> find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit
>> http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries
>> (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert
>> near you, please visit the following link
>> https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains
>> the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world,
>> who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.
>>
>
>




Re: Firefox Quantum. ver 57 are we ready?

Gene
 

You didn't say you had problems with version 52, the version being used in the ESR version.  It is dangerous to use old browsers and 45 is getting older every day and is already ten or eleven versions old.  How old is that, about two years? 
 
If you try the ESR version as a portable application, you can see if it works and still have 45 installed. 
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2017 2:27 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Firefox Quantum. ver 57 are we ready?

Well when I asked over a month back nobody knew what I was talking about, so
I'm staying on 455 till I see which way the wind blows. Unless otherwise
persuaded even though I have a 64 bit machine I have in the past been burned
by the 64 bit version of FF, so I am using the 32 bit one very reliably,
until they brought out 56, when I had to disable the sidebar to get focus on
the page all the time. I reported this bug but they did not fix it in 56,
instead fixing it in the 57 pre release versions which I've not tried.
 For those who do know what is going on, a little bit more info here would
be nice, like can we be sure if we download 57, that we can keep it 32 bi5t
and that the weird bugs with some web controls will be fixed,  and vital add
ons like system sounds and ad blockers will still work.
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene New Zealand" <hurrikennyandopo@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2017 1:35 AM
Subject: [nvda] Firefox Quantum. ver 57 are we ready?


> Hi guys
>
>
> I just had a email off another list to do with another screen reader to do
> with the new fire fox coming out next month the one stated in the subject
> line. Are we alright to go with it as of yet? or will we be aright with it
> in the next release of NVDA 2017.4 or the version after that.
>
>
> I have not got that version on this system so do not know how well it
> works with it. From what i have been reading is more to do with multii
> thread machines.
>
>
> And older machines will slow the right down as in searching for pages etc.
>
>
> It looks also the free upgrade to windows 10 from 7,8 and 8.1 ends at the
> end of this year.
>
>
> So if you are able to upgrade from those operating system either upgrade
> or after that date if you want to go to windows 10 you will have to pay.
>
>
> There is also some other accessibility stuff that might be of interest to
> windows 10 creator update. For more info see the following link at
> https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/accessibility/2017/10/17/windows-10-accessibility-update/
>
> Once i know also about the new browser and when we are able to go i will
> put it back across the list in atig in new zealand.
>
>
> Gene nz
>
>
> --
> [Image NVDA          certified expert]
> Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related
> material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you
> are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a
> copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out
> which locations (or location) is near to you please visit
> http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa
> People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you,
> please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The
> certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified
> individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed
> the NVDA expert exam.
>