Date   

Re: firefox is now chrome

Mary Otten <motten53@...>
 

So does chrome have a reader at on, rather like what you get with Safari either on a Mac or on the phone? The android version of chrome doesn’t have that, and it’s a huge disadvantage in my opinion. I’m guessing that the desktop version either has it built in or at least has an ad on.
Mary


Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 13, 2017, at 1:03 PM, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi.

Ok guys decided to cut my losses and switched to chrome.

What an experience change.

Its true I need to do a bit more configging but just about every file just saves now.

And access wize there are accessibility addons.

For me noscript doesn't come but the rest.

First https everywhere, privacy badger and ublock origin exist thats good.

I use download notifier for sounds, and google sound effects tweaked so it doesn't make sounds for everything I do key typing scroling down pages, etc.

However its better than the crappy addon I have on firefox.

Its got accessibility features and its fully configurable, maybe ms should take a leaf out of google's book for their stuff because headings for everything.

The only issues I have is when removing addon extentions I have to hit enter twice as there is a lot of unknown and the same with adding extentions tab once and hit enter.

I also don't care for the top down approach of the google app store.

However I am fully setup and while it could be better, I do believe that firefox as it stands is history with me.

Noscript, well its not really important right now, everything works as needed.

I do feel sad leaving firefox though.




On 14/11/2017 8:51 a.m., Gene wrote:
Why do some people care so much about browser sounds? When a page has finished opening, you'll know it because the screen-reader automatically starts to read it. When a page doesn't load for some reason, a lot of the time there is an error message. When you download a file, you can easily check the estimated time remaining for the download. I understand the desire to hear a sound when a download finishes because that will tell you, without you having to check or without perhaps getting busy with something else and forgetting to check in a timely manner. But how much of the concern with sounds is just habit? Maybe people would be surprised if they didn't use browser sounds for three days as a trial, how quickly almost all of the sounds fade into insignificance. Even the download finished sound may decrease significantly in importance.
Gene
----- Original Message -----


From: Shaun Everiss
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2017 1:28 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] firefox sort of fixed


Hi.

Ok, got an addon called download sound this works for downloads, sadly I
don't get when sites open like navigation sounds, but if anything else
the download sound is the important event sound is a bit loud though.






Re: braille me affordable braille display

 

Here, here to the 40-cell display. Twenty is barely enough to do serious reading. That's what I would use it for. Mobile is the future, this I know. However, the more Braille cells on a display, the better. I'm thinking 32 or 40 would be nice.





On 11/13/2017 4:27 PM, Cristóbal wrote:
If only someone would come out with a 40 cell option. That or the makers of
these new entries would also scale up to a 40 cell display...

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Buddy
Brannan
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2017 12:18 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] braille me affordable braille display

Hi,

Y'all will recall that BrailleMe came to the NVDA community for assistance
in putting together a display driver last year. 

Earlier this year, late spring or perhaps very early summer, I got to see an
early prototype of BraillMe, and it showed a lot of promise. There were afew
rough edges, which I hope have been addressed in the final production
version.

At $50 less than Orbit Reader 20, there are a couple things I'll observe.
First, the early prototype was a bit noisy, especially as the cursor
blinked. Also, sometimes a cell wouldn't populate correctly if you had your
finger on it. I hope these shortcomings got addressed. Also, this says it's
a six-dot cell, not eight. This might be an issue for some, although I must
say I never used those extra dots myself. On the plus side, display refresh
is instantaneous, and there are cursor routing buttons for each cell, a
feature the Orbit lacks. So if they really do release on 4th January, we
could well have a winner here. 



--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Mobile (preferred): (814) 431-0962
Phone: (814) 860-3194
Email: buddy@...
"We are all just walking each other home." 



On Nov 13, 2017, at 8:50 AM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:

hello

braille me will cost $399 united states dollars. 

--
sent with mozilla thunderbird










Re: Zoom and NVDA

Lino Morales
 

Well if its meant for business I'm not interested. I wish Viber was accessible with NVDA.


On 11/13/2017 4:30 PM, Governor staten wrote:

It is more for business use. However, they give you a free account that allows you to do some things. So, you could use it between friends and family.





On 11/13/2017 4:26 PM, Lino Morales wrote:

What's the URL for Zoom? I've been wanting off the Skype train for a while. If anyone knows email me at:

lino.jr@...

Thanks.


On 11/12/2017 10:16 PM, Derek Lane wrote:

I've mentioned this on this list before.

I've also spoken to zoom, and they told me they're talking to anything that will listen though msaa.

I believe this is so, because not only does zoom notifications read with JAWS, but they are also read in narrator under windows 10.  The rest of the client works reasonably well with it as well.

So it sounds like a tiny piece of something is missing.

If it gets fixed, maybe this would inadvertently improve access to other apps that we may not be aware of.




On 11/12/2017 10:02 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
Hi,

In general, I would say if something doesn't work in Next, it is often worth double checking the latest stable build to make sure it's not a regression.  In terms of Zoom, I don't think we've done any work on this recently so I suspect it will be the same between versions.

The information in this thread is really useful and I don't want to lose it.  The best next step is to ensure this is recorded in our issue tracker: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues

If you are able to do that Governor Staten, that will ensure you are kept up to date with work done on this issue.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 8:39 AM, Governor staten <govsta@...> wrote:

Just to provide more info, I"m using the latest NVDA snapshot in the Next branch. There might be a version where everything works as expected with Zoom. However, I don't know what that version of NVDA would be.





On 11/10/2017 4:34 PM, JM Casey wrote:

Yeah, I just started using this myself, and it does work really well with JAWS 18. I haven’t yet tried it with nVDA, but that’s on the horizon. Now I know what to expect.

 

It’s a hell of a lot better than skype, anyway. *grins*

 

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Governor staten
Sent: November 10, 2017 2:02 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Zoom and NVDA

 

Hello, everyone. I wrote about this earlier. I have learned more. Zoom is perfectly accessible with JAWS 16. However, with NVDA, it is not completely so. For example, when you press alt+a to mute or un-mute audio, JAWS announces the fact that audio is either muted or un-muted, but, NVDA says nothing.

 

In edit fields, JAWS can easily review them by using arrow keys, it announces what characters you arrow to or over. With     NVDA, review of text in edit fields is not easy to do. It does not announce what character you are on when you arrow to or over characters.

 

These are issues that I believe should be seriously looked into and fixed. This is a program used in work environments, and should be used in more places due to accessibility of the product. Right now, I have to use JAWS 16 to get full access. This should not be so. I hope this one can be rectified soon.

 

p.s. I think that the issues, or some of them, might be related to ARIA. If I can help in any way to get this working, I will. Let me know how I can help.




--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 





Re: Zoom and NVDA

 

It is more for business use. However, they give you a free account that allows you to do some things. So, you could use it between friends and family.





On 11/13/2017 4:26 PM, Lino Morales wrote:

What's the URL for Zoom? I've been wanting off the Skype train for a while. If anyone knows email me at:

lino.jr@...

Thanks.


On 11/12/2017 10:16 PM, Derek Lane wrote:

I've mentioned this on this list before.

I've also spoken to zoom, and they told me they're talking to anything that will listen though msaa.

I believe this is so, because not only does zoom notifications read with JAWS, but they are also read in narrator under windows 10.  The rest of the client works reasonably well with it as well.

So it sounds like a tiny piece of something is missing.

If it gets fixed, maybe this would inadvertently improve access to other apps that we may not be aware of.




On 11/12/2017 10:02 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
Hi,

In general, I would say if something doesn't work in Next, it is often worth double checking the latest stable build to make sure it's not a regression.  In terms of Zoom, I don't think we've done any work on this recently so I suspect it will be the same between versions.

The information in this thread is really useful and I don't want to lose it.  The best next step is to ensure this is recorded in our issue tracker: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues

If you are able to do that Governor Staten, that will ensure you are kept up to date with work done on this issue.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 8:39 AM, Governor staten <govsta@...> wrote:

Just to provide more info, I"m using the latest NVDA snapshot in the Next branch. There might be a version where everything works as expected with Zoom. However, I don't know what that version of NVDA would be.





On 11/10/2017 4:34 PM, JM Casey wrote:

Yeah, I just started using this myself, and it does work really well with JAWS 18. I haven’t yet tried it with nVDA, but that’s on the horizon. Now I know what to expect.

 

It’s a hell of a lot better than skype, anyway. *grins*

 

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Governor staten
Sent: November 10, 2017 2:02 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Zoom and NVDA

 

Hello, everyone. I wrote about this earlier. I have learned more. Zoom is perfectly accessible with JAWS 16. However, with NVDA, it is not completely so. For example, when you press alt+a to mute or un-mute audio, JAWS announces the fact that audio is either muted or un-muted, but, NVDA says nothing.

 

In edit fields, JAWS can easily review them by using arrow keys, it announces what characters you arrow to or over. With     NVDA, review of text in edit fields is not easy to do. It does not announce what character you are on when you arrow to or over characters.

 

These are issues that I believe should be seriously looked into and fixed. This is a program used in work environments, and should be used in more places due to accessibility of the product. Right now, I have to use JAWS 16 to get full access. This should not be so. I hope this one can be rectified soon.

 

p.s. I think that the issues, or some of them, might be related to ARIA. If I can help in any way to get this working, I will. Let me know how I can help.




--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 




Re: Zoom and NVDA

 

This is easy:

www.zoom.us

If you want to go to direct download, go to:

www.zoom.us/download





On 11/13/2017 4:26 PM, Lino Morales wrote:

What's the URL for Zoom? I've been wanting off the Skype train for a while. If anyone knows email me at:

lino.jr@...

Thanks.


On 11/12/2017 10:16 PM, Derek Lane wrote:

I've mentioned this on this list before.

I've also spoken to zoom, and they told me they're talking to anything that will listen though msaa.

I believe this is so, because not only does zoom notifications read with JAWS, but they are also read in narrator under windows 10.  The rest of the client works reasonably well with it as well.

So it sounds like a tiny piece of something is missing.

If it gets fixed, maybe this would inadvertently improve access to other apps that we may not be aware of.




On 11/12/2017 10:02 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
Hi,

In general, I would say if something doesn't work in Next, it is often worth double checking the latest stable build to make sure it's not a regression.  In terms of Zoom, I don't think we've done any work on this recently so I suspect it will be the same between versions.

The information in this thread is really useful and I don't want to lose it.  The best next step is to ensure this is recorded in our issue tracker: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues

If you are able to do that Governor Staten, that will ensure you are kept up to date with work done on this issue.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 8:39 AM, Governor staten <govsta@...> wrote:

Just to provide more info, I"m using the latest NVDA snapshot in the Next branch. There might be a version where everything works as expected with Zoom. However, I don't know what that version of NVDA would be.





On 11/10/2017 4:34 PM, JM Casey wrote:

Yeah, I just started using this myself, and it does work really well with JAWS 18. I haven’t yet tried it with nVDA, but that’s on the horizon. Now I know what to expect.

 

It’s a hell of a lot better than skype, anyway. *grins*

 

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Governor staten
Sent: November 10, 2017 2:02 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Zoom and NVDA

 

Hello, everyone. I wrote about this earlier. I have learned more. Zoom is perfectly accessible with JAWS 16. However, with NVDA, it is not completely so. For example, when you press alt+a to mute or un-mute audio, JAWS announces the fact that audio is either muted or un-muted, but, NVDA says nothing.

 

In edit fields, JAWS can easily review them by using arrow keys, it announces what characters you arrow to or over. With     NVDA, review of text in edit fields is not easy to do. It does not announce what character you are on when you arrow to or over characters.

 

These are issues that I believe should be seriously looked into and fixed. This is a program used in work environments, and should be used in more places due to accessibility of the product. Right now, I have to use JAWS 16 to get full access. This should not be so. I hope this one can be rectified soon.

 

p.s. I think that the issues, or some of them, might be related to ARIA. If I can help in any way to get this working, I will. Let me know how I can help.




--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 




Re: braille me affordable braille display

Cristóbal
 

If only someone would come out with a 40 cell option. That or the makers of
these new entries would also scale up to a 40 cell display...

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Buddy
Brannan
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2017 12:18 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] braille me affordable braille display

Hi,

Y'all will recall that BrailleMe came to the NVDA community for assistance
in putting together a display driver last year.

Earlier this year, late spring or perhaps very early summer, I got to see an
early prototype of BraillMe, and it showed a lot of promise. There were afew
rough edges, which I hope have been addressed in the final production
version.

At $50 less than Orbit Reader 20, there are a couple things I'll observe.
First, the early prototype was a bit noisy, especially as the cursor
blinked. Also, sometimes a cell wouldn't populate correctly if you had your
finger on it. I hope these shortcomings got addressed. Also, this says it's
a six-dot cell, not eight. This might be an issue for some, although I must
say I never used those extra dots myself. On the plus side, display refresh
is instantaneous, and there are cursor routing buttons for each cell, a
feature the Orbit lacks. So if they really do release on 4th January, we
could well have a winner here.



--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Mobile (preferred): (814) 431-0962
Phone: (814) 860-3194
Email: buddy@brannan.name
"We are all just walking each other home."



On Nov 13, 2017, at 8:50 AM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@gmail.com> wrote:

hello

braille me will cost $399 united states dollars.

--
sent with mozilla thunderbird


Re: firefox sort of fixed

 

Its not just sounds that are my issue.

I was able to get a download notifier sound but it was to loud.

The fact I couldn't change options in addons was the reason I just bailed this morning.

Now if and when noscript comes out fully, then maybe I will switch back, noscript was good because it could catch a lot of things.

A chief one of those was if a site wanted to play a file on my system.

It would block it as dangerous.

I could save file and play it myself.

I could also control what I allowed through chrome to access certain things.

It also made several add full sites easier to read.

Everything else worked as long as I never have to change their addon options at all.

The addon options forms are completely non interactable though nvda can see them well enough.

Google chrome on the other hand, bar the add and remove extentions not working, I can access all options just fine, I even have a couple sound addons with way more events and the fact I can configure them simply.

Ofcause the clincher is you can't edit or add or change events they just exist so if you are that advanced you would be out of luck.

One thing google will do is save all downloads so in theory anyway it should be fine.

However if mozilla get these issues I mentioned fixed or nvda can get past interacting with the options and noscript comes out, I may still be interested to return to firefox.

I will have to bother with an anoying download sound but thats about it.

On 14/11/2017 9:37 a.m., Gene wrote:
But I saw one message, and for all I know many more people may feel this way, that someone won't use Firefox unless add ons are available that provide sounds.

I'm not talking about sounds for things that you can't tell conveniently such as when Windows starts its shutdown or when Windows has finished booting to the point where the boot up music comes on. Error sounds are sounds I consider important as well. I'm also not talking about ornamental occurrences and many sighted occurrences are decorative or aesthetic. I had previously considered sounds to be largely a matter of preference, but when I see that people may stop using a program because certain sounds aren't available, then I start to question the level of dependence that suggests.

Gene
----- Original Message -----

From: Cristóbal
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2017 1:59 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] firefox sort of fixed


Or maybe they want it because they simply want it? Same could be asked about all the visual affects for sighted folks. Not necessary to the function of x, y or z, but maybe on some level it helps as a q to go off of in the background.

I have all the animations turned off on my machines, but while my sighted wife has some disabled, she still likes hving some enabled for the reasons mentioned above.


From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2017 11:51 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] firefox sort of fixed


Why do some people care so much about browser sounds? When a page has finished opening, you'll know it because the screen-reader automatically starts to read it. When a page doesn't load for some reason, a lot of the time there is an error message. When you download a file, you can easily check the estimated time remaining for the download. I understand the desire to hear a sound when a download finishes because that will tell you, without you having to check or without perhaps getting busy with something else and forgetting to check in a timely manner. But how much of the concern with sounds is just habit? Maybe people would be surprised if they didn't use browser sounds for three days as a trial, how quickly almost all of the sounds fade into insignificance. Even the download finished sound may decrease significantly in importance.

Gene

----- Original Message -----


From: Shaun Everiss

Sent: Monday, November 13, 2017 1:28 PM

To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Subject: [nvda] firefox sort of fixed


Hi.

Ok, got an addon called download sound this works for downloads, sadly I
don't get when sites open like navigation sounds, but if anything else
the download sound is the important event sound is a bit loud though.






Re: Zoom and NVDA

Lino Morales
 

What's the URL for Zoom? I've been wanting off the Skype train for a while. If anyone knows email me at:

lino.jr@...

Thanks.


On 11/12/2017 10:16 PM, Derek Lane wrote:

I've mentioned this on this list before.

I've also spoken to zoom, and they told me they're talking to anything that will listen though msaa.

I believe this is so, because not only does zoom notifications read with JAWS, but they are also read in narrator under windows 10.  The rest of the client works reasonably well with it as well.

So it sounds like a tiny piece of something is missing.

If it gets fixed, maybe this would inadvertently improve access to other apps that we may not be aware of.




On 11/12/2017 10:02 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
Hi,

In general, I would say if something doesn't work in Next, it is often worth double checking the latest stable build to make sure it's not a regression.  In terms of Zoom, I don't think we've done any work on this recently so I suspect it will be the same between versions.

The information in this thread is really useful and I don't want to lose it.  The best next step is to ensure this is recorded in our issue tracker: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues

If you are able to do that Governor Staten, that will ensure you are kept up to date with work done on this issue.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 8:39 AM, Governor staten <govsta@...> wrote:

Just to provide more info, I"m using the latest NVDA snapshot in the Next branch. There might be a version where everything works as expected with Zoom. However, I don't know what that version of NVDA would be.





On 11/10/2017 4:34 PM, JM Casey wrote:

Yeah, I just started using this myself, and it does work really well with JAWS 18. I haven’t yet tried it with nVDA, but that’s on the horizon. Now I know what to expect.

 

It’s a hell of a lot better than skype, anyway. *grins*

 

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Governor staten
Sent: November 10, 2017 2:02 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Zoom and NVDA

 

Hello, everyone. I wrote about this earlier. I have learned more. Zoom is perfectly accessible with JAWS 16. However, with NVDA, it is not completely so. For example, when you press alt+a to mute or un-mute audio, JAWS announces the fact that audio is either muted or un-muted, but, NVDA says nothing.

 

In edit fields, JAWS can easily review them by using arrow keys, it announces what characters you arrow to or over. With     NVDA, review of text in edit fields is not easy to do. It does not announce what character you are on when you arrow to or over characters.

 

These are issues that I believe should be seriously looked into and fixed. This is a program used in work environments, and should be used in more places due to accessibility of the product. Right now, I have to use JAWS 16 to get full access. This should not be so. I hope this one can be rectified soon.

 

p.s. I think that the issues, or some of them, might be related to ARIA. If I can help in any way to get this working, I will. Let me know how I can help.




--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 




Re: braille me affordable braille display

tina sohl <tinabir@...>
 

I hope they do release it then, and that the issues Buddy mentioned are taken care of. How do you load info in to it? o you load it on to a card as with the orbit an does it work with both android and IOS?
Original message:

Well I am seriously thinking of changing my views on the orbit.
Its not out, and at least 1 person had issue and returned their unit
that brought it at a convention.
And to be honest I really want a full sized thingy, I am used to 6 dots
I was taught 6 dots I only need 6 dots.



On 14/11/2017 9:17 a.m., Buddy Brannan wrote:
Hi,
Y'all will recall that BrailleMe came to the NVDA community for assistance in putting together a display driver last year.
Earlier this year, late spring or perhaps very early summer, I got to see an early prototype of BraillMe, and it showed a lot of promise. There were afew rough edges, which I hope have been addressed in the final production version.
At $50 less than Orbit Reader 20, there are a couple things I'll observe. First, the early prototype was a bit noisy, especially as the cursor blinked. Also, sometimes a cell wouldn't populate correctly if you had your finger on it. I hope these shortcomings got addressed. Also, this says it's a six-dot cell, not eight. This might be an issue for some, although I must say I never used those extra dots myself. On the plus side, display refresh is instantaneous, and there are cursor routing buttons for each cell, a feature the Orbit lacks. So if they really do release on 4th January, we could well have a winner here.


--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Mobile (preferred): (814) 431-0962
Phone: (814) 860-3194
Email: buddy@brannan.name
"We are all just walking each other home."


On Nov 13, 2017, at 8:50 AM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@gmail.com> wrote:
hello
braille me will cost $399 united states dollars.
--
sent with mozilla thunderbird








Re: Unveiling Braille Me - World's Most Affordable Smart Braille Display

 

I agree, in new zealand 6 is what we use.

I think in the uk and us it can be 8 dots but I have never used either of those.

On 14/11/2017 9:19 a.m., Buddy Brannan wrote:
In fact, it does literally say $399. I think that for most use cases, the lack of 8-dot braille isn't going to be a deal breaker.

--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Mobile (preferred): (814) 431-0962
Phone: (814) 860-3194
Email: buddy@brannan.name
"We are all just walking each other home."



On Nov 13, 2017, at 12:14 PM, Cristóbal <crismunoz54@gmail.com> wrote:

It literally says $399.00 in the original email message.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ann
Byrne
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2017 5:28 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Unveiling Braille Me - World's Most Affordable Smart
Braille Display

How affordable is it???
At 07:17 AM 11/13/2017, you wrote:
Hi Josh,
I had been contacted by Shyam from Innovision a couple months ago with
regards to how adding support for a new Braille display driver works in
the case of NVDA. I had redirected Shyam to Jamie or Reef by providing
their e-mail addresses at that point in time. I am unaware of whether
or not he actually followed up with an NV Access staff member, but what
I can safely say is that supporting NVDA was very much on their minds
while developing this affordable Braille display.
Thanks.

On 11/13/17, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@gmail.com> wrote:
will this display work with NVDA also?




-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Unveiling Braille Me - World's Most Affordable Smart
Braille
Display
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 03:10:09 -0800
From: Innovision <shyam@innovisiontech.co>
To: joshknnd1982@gmail.com



Greetings from Innovision!
This email is in reply to the Pre-order interest survey that you or
a representative from your firm submitted (link -
https://tinyurl.com/BrailleMe-Survey
<https://innovisiontech-dot-yamm-track.appspot.com/Redirect?ukey=1faNFNvnKA_
4Ij1SFgAV4lloCizIP-yQHxS_P4iDZetA-0&key=YAMMID-71407346&link=https%3A%2F%2Ft
inyurl.com%2FBrailleMe-Survey>).

Thank you for showing your interest in Innovision
(www.innovisiontech.co
<https://innovisiontech-dot-yamm-track.appspot.com/Redirect?ukey=1faNF
NvnKA_4Ij1SFgAV4lloCizIP-yQHxS_P4iDZetA-0&key=YAMMID-71407346&link=htt
p%3A%2F%2Fwww.innovisiontech.co%2F>)
and our product, BrailleMe - a Smart Braille Display for the
visually impaired community.

I am excited to inform you that we are launching Braille Me, world's
most affordable smart braille display at USD 399/- on the 4th of
January celebrating the World Braille Day. Let me give you an
overview of Braille Me.

About Braille Me -

Ever Since Louis Braille invented the wonderful script of Braille,
it has been adopted all across the globe empowering millions of
individuals. Today, after 200 years we are on the verge of a
revolution in Braille. Braille Me, is built to bring digital braille
to everyone immaterial of their geographical, economic or lingual
background.
It has a six-dot 20-cell braille display, a Perkins-style keypad,
cursor routing buttons and few navigation keys. It has capabilities
to work as a stand-alone editor and also connect to smartphones and
computers via Bluetooth and USB. It is a balanced device with core
features of a complex notetaker while having the simplicity of a braille
display.
Braille Me has become possible due to two breakthroughs in
Affordability and multi-language. Braille Me is designed with our
patented Braille cell technology which makes the device
cost-effective by an order of magnitude compared to existing
products and supports more than 40 languages spanning all across the
globe.
To know more about Braille Me please check our demonstration video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz1cUZcf-1A
<https://innovisiontech-dot-yamm-track.appspot.com/Redirect?ukey=1faNF
NvnKA_4Ij1SFgAV4lloCizIP-yQHxS_P4iDZetA-0&key=YAMMID-71407346&link=htt
ps%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DFz1cUZcf-1A>
Also check out our facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/InnovisionTechnologies/
<https://innovisiontech-dot-yamm-track.appspot.com/Redirect?ukey=1faNF
NvnKA_4Ij1SFgAV4lloCizIP-yQHxS_P4iDZetA-0&key=YAMMID-71407346&link=htt
ps%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FInnovisionTechnologies%2F>
Reaching out:

We are eager to serve you and look forward to engaging with you.
Currently, we are looking for partners who can help us in the
distribution and training in your state/country. Please let us know
if you are part of or are in touch with any Institute for Visually
impaired, commercial distributors of disability aids or NGOs working
in your area.
Your help in identifying key partners would go a long way in
expediting distribution of Braille Me in your locality.

We hope you would join us in this effort to bring digital braille to
every student and professional in need.
In case you have any queries, please feel free to reach out to our
team at customercare@innovisiontech.co
<mailto:info@innovisiontech.co> We look forward to hearing from you.
--
Warm Regards
Shyam Shah
CEO & Co-founder
INNOVISION
www.innovisiontech.co
<https://innovisiontech-dot-yamm-track.appspot.com/Redirect?ukey=1faNF
NvnKA_4Ij1SFgAV4lloCizIP-yQHxS_P4iDZetA-0&key=YAMMID-71407346&link=htt
p%3A%2F%2Fwww.innovisiontech.co%2F>


Inline image 1
DISCLAIMER: This email (including any attachments) is intended for
the sole use of the intended recipient/s and may contain material
that is CONFIDENTIAL AND PRIVATE COMPANY INFORMATION. Any review or
reliance by others or copying or distribution or forwarding of any
or all of the contents in this message is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. The
opinions expressed are those of the sender and do not necessarily
reflect those of the Company. If you are not the intended recipient,
please contact the sender by email and delete all copies; your
cooperation in this regard is appreciated.

beacon
--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Blogger at Hiking Across Horizons: https://bhavyashah125.wordpress.com/

Contacting Me
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@gmail.com Follow me on Twitter
@BhavyaShah125 or www.twitter.com/BhavyaShah125 Mobile Number: +91
7506221750







Re: braille me affordable braille display

 

Well I am seriously thinking of changing my views on the orbit.

Its not out, and at least 1 person had issue and returned their unit that brought it at a convention.

And to be honest I really want a full sized thingy, I am used to 6 dots I was taught 6 dots I only need 6 dots.

On 14/11/2017 9:17 a.m., Buddy Brannan wrote:
Hi,

Y'all will recall that BrailleMe came to the NVDA community for assistance in putting together a display driver last year.

Earlier this year, late spring or perhaps very early summer, I got to see an early prototype of BraillMe, and it showed a lot of promise. There were afew rough edges, which I hope have been addressed in the final production version.

At $50 less than Orbit Reader 20, there are a couple things I'll observe. First, the early prototype was a bit noisy, especially as the cursor blinked. Also, sometimes a cell wouldn't populate correctly if you had your finger on it. I hope these shortcomings got addressed. Also, this says it's a six-dot cell, not eight. This might be an issue for some, although I must say I never used those extra dots myself. On the plus side, display refresh is instantaneous, and there are cursor routing buttons for each cell, a feature the Orbit lacks. So if they really do release on 4th January, we could well have a winner here.



--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Mobile (preferred): (814) 431-0962
Phone: (814) 860-3194
Email: buddy@brannan.name
"We are all just walking each other home."



On Nov 13, 2017, at 8:50 AM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@gmail.com> wrote:

hello

braille me will cost $399 united states dollars.

--
sent with mozilla thunderbird



Re: NVDA speaking even when it’s not loaded when there’s a problem with shut down

 

True but imap on tbird doesn't give me notifications of mail completing.

And it never used to screw at all which is my issue.

Its fine now for example, but as soon as something weird goes with google things go down again.

The other reason I can't be bothered as for now I have only 1 device so I don't give a damn.

Now if I get a smart phone which may happen in the next 10 years or so, then I will want a chain if I need it so it will be like that I guess.

On 14/11/2017 9:06 a.m., Tyler Wood wrote:
Wo.
You’re going nuts with switching from imap to pop, or something. Probably why everything is going screwy on you to begin with lol.
I just use windows 10 mail, imap only. It simply works with gmail. No screwing around with silly settings – I thought pop was back in 2000 and didn’t even know anyone still used it.


From: Shaun Everiss
Sent: November 13, 2017 12:46 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA speaking even when it’s not loaded when there’s a problem with shut down

Yeah I have a similar issue with mail in general.

Imap and pop fail, every so often, the local google node flakes and goes
offline, I switch to another for a bit then it pops back.

Then imap and pop fail.

Imap just comes back, but I have to switch to imap, wait 30 mins and
switch the pop devices back to pop, I have some spacifficly linked
devices I don't want active and sharing all the time namely my admin box
though if it happens again, I'm going to have to figure out why
notifications don't work in thunderbird with imap active and stick with it.

I always know when it will do it because the local google web site goes
offline 3 or 4 days later the servers die and nothing comes through till
I fiddle about.

So as much as google thinks its the big cloud, I suspect overloading
however small is going on.




On 13/11/2017 10:03 p.m., Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Incidentally yesterday when I was answering in this list, emails were
arriving out of order, hence the multiple messages on the same
subject. I've been caught out this way before. I'm no closer to
finding out where emails from this list spend often almost a day
before being delivered while others get here straight away.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian's Mail list account via
Groups.Io" <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, November 12, 2017 9:45 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA speaking even when it’s not loaded when
there’s a problem with shut down


Not if when it was installed in the first place use on the log in
screen was put on, anas this is always loaded even if you do not
decide to load nvda at start up. Its a special kind of cut down
version just for secure screens.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mary Otten" <motten53@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, November 11, 2017 10:15 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA speaking even when it’s not loaded when
there’s a problem with shut down


OK, but why would it talk if it’s not loaded? If it’s never been
started up, shouldn’t it stay silent?
Mary


Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 11, 2017, at 2:12 PM, Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@gmail.com>
wrote:

Hi
When the Windows log-in and lock screen come into play, a Different
NVDA profile is used to the one related to your user-id and it may
be this that is providing speech during the shut-down process.
Unless you specifically copy a modified profile across for system
usage, it will use the default synth which is E-speak.

Cheers
Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Mary Otten
Sent: 11 November 2017 19:56
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA speaking even when it’s not loaded when there’s
a problem with shut down

I have this new machine and it has NVDA on it. But in Vda does not
load at start up. We are having some problems with the machine, and
my husband thought he had narrowed it down to stuff screwing up when
you restart rather than shutting down the machine. Anyway, with NVDA
not loaded when the machine is shutting down, occasionally will hang
up and e speak will start talking. That is not the synthesizer I
have selected. But it does talk. And it is happened on a few
occasions. When he took it back to the store to let the tech look at
it, it did that once, and now the tech is blaming the whole thing on
NVDA. I’m sure that’s not correct, but I don’t know what to tell them.
Mary


Sent from my iPhone









.




Re: firefox sort of fixed

 

Well for me I like effects in general like a desktop theme, people want wallpaper.

If I could have it I'd have ambient sound, I'd have things happen not necessarily when I scroll or press a key but when events happen all over the place open close programs, program loading state which would be nice, an event if a program is taking to long to load.

Sadly with win10 a lot of those events are pritty much locked even if you unlock them they don't run at all.

However, this doesn't mean I will stay away from firefox entirely.

with noscript I avoided all the clutter in say twitter, etc.

On the other side if I save a website or password on my device, its synced with others if I use it.

It just means I need to sign out and into my account on other devices and clear when I am done.

On 14/11/2017 8:59 a.m., Cristóbal wrote:
Or maybe they want it because they simply want it? Same could be asked about all the visual affects for sighted folks. Not necessary to the function of x, y or z, but maybe on some level it helps as a q to go off of in the background.

I have all the animations turned off on my machines, but while my sighted wife has some disabled, she still likes hving some enabled for the reasons mentioned above.


From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2017 11:51 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] firefox sort of fixed


Why do some people care so much about browser sounds? When a page has finished opening, you'll know it because the screen-reader automatically starts to read it. When a page doesn't load for some reason, a lot of the time there is an error message. When you download a file, you can easily check the estimated time remaining for the download. I understand the desire to hear a sound when a download finishes because that will tell you, without you having to check or without perhaps getting busy with something else and forgetting to check in a timely manner. But how much of the concern with sounds is just habit? Maybe people would be surprised if they didn't use browser sounds for three days as a trial, how quickly almost all of the sounds fade into insignificance. Even the download finished sound may decrease significantly in importance.

Gene

----- Original Message -----


From: Shaun Everiss <mailto:sm.everiss@gmail.com>

Sent: Monday, November 13, 2017 1:28 PM

To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>

Subject: [nvda] firefox sort of fixed


Hi.

Ok, got an addon called download sound this works for downloads, sadly I
don't get when sites open like navigation sounds, but if anything else
the download sound is the important event sound is a bit loud though.







Re: firefox sort of fixed

 

I agree, the google sound effect addon is really good its just a shame you can't add effects and events to it, I also don't care for typing and scroling effects these can become really distracting.

As for typing effects I have a mechanical keyboard so don't need effects for scroling or typing.

If I could change effects in addons maybe.

I am ofcause a scifi geek and all these sounds make my system sound futuristic.

The download notifier fixes my issue with downloads and I chose a quiet bell out of the 5 or so bells I could have.

Chrome is on all the systems I administrate mine was the only one that didn't use it though I used a lot of google service, guess its another thing I use for nothing bar my personal information which I don't mind selling to google for well all the controls and the stuff they do.

As long as my mail stays on thunderbird then fine.

On 14/11/2017 8:57 a.m., Tyler Wood wrote:
Hi,
I disagree.
I like knowing when sites try and load things behind my back. I have an add on for chrome that tells me when a new window or tab is opened and you’d be surprised just how many sites try and open a window before quickly closing it, even with a popup blocker. It also helps knowing when a site refreshes itself, as so many recently tend to do.
Adblock plus is quickly being replaced with other things now. Too many sites get around it and I wouldn’t have known that unless I had the sounds as a blind person.
PS: I have screen readers set not to read the page when it’s finished loading. Less extraneous speech I don’t need with the sounds, too. Especially in a work environment where I’m juggling several windows.


From: Gene
Sent: November 13, 2017 1:51 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] firefox sort of fixed

Why do some people care so much about browser sounds?  When a page has finished opening, you'll know it because the screen-reader automatically starts to read it.  When a page doesn't load for some reason, a lot of the time there is an error message.  When you download a file, you can easily check the estimated time remaining for the download.  I understand the desire to hear a sound when a download finishes because that will tell you, without you having to check or without perhaps getting busy with something else and forgetting to check in a timely manner.  But how much of the concern with sounds is just habit?  Maybe people would be surprised if they didn't use browser sounds for three days as a trial, how quickly almost all of the sounds fade into insignificance.  Even the download finished sound may decrease significantly in importance.
Gene
----- Original Message -----

From: Shaun Everiss
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2017 1:28 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] firefox sort of fixed

Hi.

Ok, got an addon called download sound this works for downloads, sadly I
don't get when sites open like navigation sounds, but if anything else
the download sound is the important event sound is a bit loud though.





firefox is now chrome

 

Hi.

Ok guys decided to cut my losses and switched to chrome.

What an experience change.

Its true I need to do a bit more configging but just about every file just saves now.

And access wize there are accessibility addons.

For me noscript doesn't come but the rest.

First https everywhere, privacy badger and ublock origin exist thats good.

I use download notifier for sounds, and google sound effects tweaked so it doesn't make sounds for everything I do key typing scroling down pages, etc.

However its better than the crappy addon I have on firefox.

Its got accessibility features and its fully configurable, maybe ms should take a leaf out of google's book for their stuff because headings for everything.

The only issues I have is when removing addon extentions I have to hit enter twice as there is a lot of unknown and the same with adding extentions tab once and hit enter.

I also don't care for the top down approach of the google app store.

However I am fully setup and while it could be better, I do believe that firefox as it stands is history with me.

Noscript, well its not really important right now, everything works as needed.

I do feel sad leaving firefox though.

On 14/11/2017 8:51 a.m., Gene wrote:
Why do some people care so much about browser sounds? When a page has finished opening, you'll know it because the screen-reader automatically starts to read it. When a page doesn't load for some reason, a lot of the time there is an error message. When you download a file, you can easily check the estimated time remaining for the download. I understand the desire to hear a sound when a download finishes because that will tell you, without you having to check or without perhaps getting busy with something else and forgetting to check in a timely manner. But how much of the concern with sounds is just habit? Maybe people would be surprised if they didn't use browser sounds for three days as a trial, how quickly almost all of the sounds fade into insignificance. Even the download finished sound may decrease significantly in importance.
Gene
----- Original Message -----


From: Shaun Everiss
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2017 1:28 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] firefox sort of fixed


Hi.

Ok, got an addon called download sound this works for downloads, sadly I
don't get when sites open like navigation sounds, but if anything else
the download sound is the important event sound is a bit loud though.




Re: Unveiling Braille Me - World's Most Affordable Smart Braille Display

erik burggraaf <erik@...>
 

I don't disagree with you, but it gets to a point doesn't it? The research and development on these devices has been going on for over 10 years. It is about time one of them hit the market in any way shape or form. Let's get one out there and start recovering the cost of all of our research and development. Then we can start looking for ways to expand them into 40 and 80 cell models, adding extra dots, making new features, and doing what needs to be done. Let somebody who just wants a cheap and private way to read their text messages have access to this one right now while it's available.

Best, Erik

On November 13, 2017 3:46:27 PM "David" <trailerdavid@hotmail.com> wrote:

Releasing a Braille display, in 2018, holding only 6-dots - well that
seems a bit old-fashioned, doesn't it? What really, did they have to
save on two extra dots?


OK, we have seen 6-dot computer Braille, using two characters for
representing one computer character, like the backslash, digits and
certain others, even the Captalized characters. Yet, most Braille
computer users, might agree, the 8-dots makes it much easier to
cooperate with the actual contents of the screen. Try routing to a
character on the screen, or lining up contents, when you have some of
the characters represented by two cells on the display.


I do woncder, if they have solved these issues in any other way?


Pricing seem interesting enough, except from the fact they are asking
for dealers. My thought is, that likely these dealers will raise the
product price drastically. When they first informed about the
development, I contacted them and asked if it would be sold directly to
end-users, and it seems they somehow have changed the intentions.
Shipping, Taxes and dealer's money-making - be prepared for prices
50-100 percent higher. And by then, a 6-dot display with the drawbacks
thereof, might be little interesting. You might soon enough look at
other products.


Will be interesting to follow the product though, as we might see more
user-feedback, and on-hand experiences.


The idea, intention and release is of great interest, I think. But it
cannot be left-out, the disappointment when it only holds 6-dots. Even,
they could have run two models, 6-dot for a lower price, and 8-dots as
an alternative. Honestly, my first Braille display ever, was in '84, and
even back then 8-dots were the standard for computerized operation.
close to 35 years later, 6-dots?


On 11/13/2017 3:14 PM, Antony Stone wrote:
Never mind Youtube, the press release quoted below states "It has a six-dot
20-cell braille display, a Perkins-style keypad, cursor routing buttons and
few navigation keys."

That is quite clear.


Antony.

On Monday 13 November 2017 at 14:04:24, Alexander Masic wrote:

I am little hasitating. Because the display has only 6 dots if I have
understand that youtobeclip corect, and that has some problems.

Den 2017-11-13 kl. 13:32, skrev Josh Kennedy:
will this display work with NVDA also?




-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Unveiling Braille Me - World's Most Affordable Smart Braille
Display
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 03:10:09 -0800
From: Innovision <shyam@innovisiontech.co>
To: joshknnd1982@gmail.com



Greetings from Innovision!
This email is in reply to the Pre-order interest survey that you or a
representative from your firm submitted (link -
https://tinyurl.com/BrailleMe-Survey
<https://innovisiontech-dot-yamm-track.appspot.com/Redirect?ukey=1faNFNvn
KA_4Ij1SFgAV4lloCizIP-yQHxS_P4iDZetA-0&key=YAMMID-71407346&link=https%3A%
2F%2Ftinyurl.com%2FBrailleMe-Survey>).

Thank you for showing your interest in Innovision
(www.innovisiontech.co
<https://innovisiontech-dot-yamm-track.appspot.com/Redirect?ukey=1faNFNvn
KA_4Ij1SFgAV4lloCizIP-yQHxS_P4iDZetA-0&key=YAMMID-71407346&link=http%3A%2
F%2Fwww.innovisiontech.co%2F>) and our product, BrailleMe - a Smart
Braille Display for the visually impaired community.

I am excited to inform you that we are launching Braille Me, world's
most affordable smart braille display at USD 399/- on the 4th of
January celebrating the World Braille Day. Let me give you an overview
of Braille Me.

About Braille Me -

Ever Since Louis Braille invented the wonderful script of Braille, it
has been adopted all across the globe empowering millions of
individuals. Today, after 200 years we are on the verge of a
revolution in Braille. Braille Me, is built to bring digital braille
to everyone immaterial of their geographical, economic or lingual
background.

It has a six-dot 20-cell braille display, a Perkins-style keypad,
cursor routing buttons and few navigation keys. It has capabilities
to work as a stand-alone editor and also connect to smartphones and
computers via Bluetooth and USB. It is a balanced device with core
features of a complex notetaker while having the simplicity of a
braille display.

Braille Me has become possible due to two breakthroughs in
Affordability and multi-language. Braille Me is designed with our
patented Braille cell technology which makes the device cost-effective
by an order of magnitude compared to existing products and supports
more than 40 languages spanning all across the globe.

To know more about Braille Me please check our demonstration video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz1cUZcf-1A
<https://innovisiontech-dot-yamm-track.appspot.com/Redirect?ukey=1faNFNvn
KA_4Ij1SFgAV4lloCizIP-yQHxS_P4iDZetA-0&key=YAMMID-71407346&link=https%3A%
2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DFz1cUZcf-1A>

Also check out our facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/InnovisionTechnologies/
<https://innovisiontech-dot-yamm-track.appspot.com/Redirect?ukey=1faNFNvn
KA_4Ij1SFgAV4lloCizIP-yQHxS_P4iDZetA-0&key=YAMMID-71407346&link=https%3A%
2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FInnovisionTechnologies%2F>

Reaching out:

We are eager to serve you and look forward to engaging with you.
Currently, we are looking for partners who can help us in the
distribution and training in your state/country. Please let us know if
you are part of or are in touch with any Institute for Visually
impaired, commercial distributors of disability aids or NGOs working
in your area.
Your help in identifying key partners would go a long way in
expediting distribution of Braille Me in your locality.

We hope you would join us in this effort to bring digital braille to
every student and professional in need.
In case you have any queries, please feel free to reach out to our
team at customercare@innovisiontech.co <mailto:info@innovisiontech.co>
We look forward to hearing from you.



Inline image 1
DISCLAIMER: This email (including any attachments) is intended for the
sole use of the intended recipient/s and may contain material that is
CONFIDENTIAL AND PRIVATE COMPANY INFORMATION. Any review or reliance
by others or copying or distribution or forwarding of any or all of
the contents in this message is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. The opinions
expressed are those of the sender and do not necessarily reflect those
of the Company. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
the sender by email and delete all copies; your cooperation in this
regard is appreciated.

beacon


Re: firefox sort of fixed

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>
 

I just find it an interesting perspective. I’ve always been kind of a “sound guy” yet it never even really occurred to me to set up sound schemes/themes. I think all this started in the old days when I had Windows 98 and a 6- or- 8 GB hard disk, and thought to myself, “mamn, all these .wav files take up so much space; I think I’ll just delete them!” Then congratulated myself for saving a few megabytes. *grins*

 

And despite what I said above, I noticed right away that nVDA is set by default to play sounds for certain things, like detected spelling errors with certain programmes, and progress clicks, and … I like it. Still would never consider shirking a browser for lack of sound feedback, but after my work in accessibility last year, I started to understand how important this is to some folks.

 

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: November 13, 2017 3:37 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] firefox sort of fixed

 

But I saw one message, and for all I know many more people may feel this way, that someone won't use Firefox unless add ons are available that provide sounds. 

 

I'm not talking about sounds for things that you can't tell conveniently such as when Windows starts its shutdown or when Windows has finished booting to the point where the boot up music comes on.  Error sounds are sounds I consider important as well.  I'm also not talking about ornamental occurrences and many sighted occurrences are decorative or aesthetic.  I had previously considered sounds to be largely a matter of preference, but when I see that people may stop using a program because certain sounds aren't available, then I start to question the level of dependence that suggests.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Cristóbal

Sent: Monday, November 13, 2017 1:59 PM

Subject: Re: [nvda] firefox sort of fixed

 

Or maybe they want it because they simply want it? Same could be asked about all the visual affects for sighted folks. Not necessary to the function of x, y or z, but maybe on some level it helps as a q to go off of in the background.

I have all the animations turned off on my machines, but while my sighted wife has some disabled, she still likes hving some enabled for the reasons mentioned above.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2017 11:51 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] firefox sort of fixed

 

Why do some people care so much about browser sounds?  When a page has finished opening, you'll know it because the screen-reader automatically starts to read it.  When a page doesn't load for some reason, a lot of the time there is an error message.  When you download a file, you can easily check the estimated time remaining for the download.  I understand the desire to hear a sound when a download finishes because that will tell you, without you having to check or without perhaps getting busy with something else and forgetting to check in a timely manner.  But how much of the concern with sounds is just habit?  Maybe people would be surprised if they didn't use browser sounds for three days as a trial, how quickly almost all of the sounds fade into insignificance.  Even the download finished sound may decrease significantly in importance. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

 

Sent: Monday, November 13, 2017 1:28 PM

Subject: [nvda] firefox sort of fixed

 

Hi.

Ok, got an addon called download sound this works for downloads, sadly I
don't get when sites open like navigation sounds, but if anything else
the download sound is the important event sound is a bit loud though.


Re: firefox sort of fixed

Gene
 

But I saw one message, and for all I know many more people may feel this way, that someone won't use Firefox unless add ons are available that provide sounds. 
 
I'm not talking about sounds for things that you can't tell conveniently such as when Windows starts its shutdown or when Windows has finished booting to the point where the boot up music comes on.  Error sounds are sounds I consider important as well.  I'm also not talking about ornamental occurrences and many sighted occurrences are decorative or aesthetic.  I had previously considered sounds to be largely a matter of preference, but when I see that people may stop using a program because certain sounds aren't available, then I start to question the level of dependence that suggests.
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
From: Cristóbal
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2017 1:59 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] firefox sort of fixed

Or maybe they want it because they simply want it? Same could be asked about all the visual affects for sighted folks. Not necessary to the function of x, y or z, but maybe on some level it helps as a q to go off of in the background.

I have all the animations turned off on my machines, but while my sighted wife has some disabled, she still likes hving some enabled for the reasons mentioned above.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2017 11:51 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] firefox sort of fixed

 

Why do some people care so much about browser sounds?  When a page has finished opening, you'll know it because the screen-reader automatically starts to read it.  When a page doesn't load for some reason, a lot of the time there is an error message.  When you download a file, you can easily check the estimated time remaining for the download.  I understand the desire to hear a sound when a download finishes because that will tell you, without you having to check or without perhaps getting busy with something else and forgetting to check in a timely manner.  But how much of the concern with sounds is just habit?  Maybe people would be surprised if they didn't use browser sounds for three days as a trial, how quickly almost all of the sounds fade into insignificance.  Even the download finished sound may decrease significantly in importance. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

 

Sent: Monday, November 13, 2017 1:28 PM

Subject: [nvda] firefox sort of fixed

 

Hi.

Ok, got an addon called download sound this works for downloads, sadly I
don't get when sites open like navigation sounds, but if anything else
the download sound is the important event sound is a bit loud though.



Re: NVDA in the workforce and in public institutions

erik burggraaf <erik@...>
 

Well this is interesting. First it was insurance. Now it's not insurance, it's procurement. Top secret procurement which isn't particularly allowed in Canada except for possibly weapons research and development or something like that. Procurement is public record. So... What department did you say she worked in?

Quenton, I'm sure the NVAccess group has the resources and knowhow to become a contractor for the Canadian Government. It's not usually that hard, though there may be substantial red tape. I don't believe you would have to present any kind of insurance documentation to sell them software, though you would probably have to wave liability if you were coming in to do training or something. Insurance is for contractors hired to build new ficilities, install new plumming, electrical, or fire, maintain government vehicals and so on.

Best,

Erik

On November 13, 2017 2:23:01 PM "Mike and Jenna" <schwaltze@gmail.com> wrote:

High,

There is no open source int their catalog what so ever. 7zip is rolled in house by their IT department apart from that their policy is no open source. I wish I could post what they policy is but I had to sign an NDA before I could even work on my wife accessibility stuff.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Antony Stone
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2017 1:52 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA in the workforce and in public institutions

I've lost track of what the insurance comment was in this thread.

Please can someone point me at some official documentation to explain what the vendors have to comply with to get government contracts?

I'd be interested to know how the Canadian government manages to use any open source software if they have rules in place which would be a problem for NVDA specifically.


Antony.

On Monday 13 November 2017 at 18:42:43, Mike and Jenna wrote:

Hi,



Its more as being registered as a business and having a contract with
the federal government. You have to become a vender.



From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Quentin Christensen Sent: Monday, November 13, 2017 2:37 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA in the workforce and in public institutions



Just on the insurance thing in Canada - can anyone point me to a
reference about what it is and what's involved please?



Kind regards



Quentin.



On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 9:02 AM, Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io
<the.big.white.shepherd=googlemail.com@groups.io
<mailto:the.big.white.shepherd=googlemail.com@groups.io> > wrote:

nope not seeing this on any of my computers.

On 11/11/2017 05:15, Tyler Wood wrote:

Hi,

I wouldn’t either, however…

The difference in jaws and NVDA moving through explorer windows is so
drastically light and day different on the same computer. Despite what
the processor is doing jaws simply handles it whereas NVDA, by
contrast, is frustratingly slow. It’s especially telling when you use
them side by side.

*From: *Brian Vogel <mailto:britechguy@gmail.com
<mailto:britechguy@gmail.com> > *Sent: *November 10, 2017 10:19 PM
*To: *nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> > *Subject: *Re:
[nvda] NVDA in the workforce and in public institutions

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 05:57 pm, Tyler Wood wrote:

I’m talking intel atom, ulv celleron, Pentium.

I would not expect screen readers to be particularly "sprightly" on
any of these processors if what they're running on top of is in any
way processing intensive.
--
GIT/E d- s+:--(-) a+ C++++$(---) UL++++$ P+(---)>++ L+++(++++)$ !E W(-) N(-) o? w--(---) O !M V+++(--) !PS !PE Y+ PGP+> t- !tv@ b+++ DI++ D---
e+++(*) h++ 5? !X- !R K--? G-

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.


Re: Unveiling Braille Me - World's Most Affordable Smart Braille Display

brian <sackriderbrian45@...>
 

The vidio of this product was not very good.  First it sounded like the man was talking from acrost the room.  Second his English was not very good.  They should have had somone who can speak better english and made it more perfessionally recorded.  If a company is going to take the time to record a vidio then please take the time to make it of a more perfessional quality and have a person that can speak well.

Brian Sackrider

On 11/13/2017 8:17 AM, Bhavya shah wrote:
Hi Josh,
I had been contacted by Shyam from Innovision a couple months ago with
regards to how adding support for a new Braille display driver works
in the case of NVDA. I had redirected Shyam to Jamie or Reef by
providing their e-mail addresses at that point in time. I am unaware
of whether or not he actually followed up with an NV Access staff
member, but what I can safely say is that supporting NVDA was very
much on their minds while developing this affordable Braille display.
Thanks.

On 11/13/17, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@gmail.com> wrote:
will this display work with NVDA also?




-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Unveiling Braille Me - World's Most Affordable Smart Braille
Display
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 03:10:09 -0800
From: Innovision <shyam@innovisiontech.co>
To: joshknnd1982@gmail.com



Greetings from Innovision!
This email is in reply to the Pre-order interest survey that you or a
representative from your firm submitted (link -
https://tinyurl.com/BrailleMe-Survey
<https://innovisiontech-dot-yamm-track.appspot.com/Redirect?ukey=1faNFNvnKA_4Ij1SFgAV4lloCizIP-yQHxS_P4iDZetA-0&key=YAMMID-71407346&link=https%3A%2F%2Ftinyurl.com%2FBrailleMe-Survey>).


Thank you for showing your interest in Innovision (www.innovisiontech.co
<https://innovisiontech-dot-yamm-track.appspot.com/Redirect?ukey=1faNFNvnKA_4Ij1SFgAV4lloCizIP-yQHxS_P4iDZetA-0&key=YAMMID-71407346&link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.innovisiontech.co%2F>)

and our product, BrailleMe - a Smart Braille Display for the visually
impaired community.

I am excited to inform you that we are launching Braille Me, world's
most affordable smart braille display at USD 399/- on the 4th of
January celebrating the World Braille Day. Let me give you an overview
of Braille Me.

About Braille Me -

Ever Since Louis Braille invented the wonderful script of Braille, it
has been adopted all across the globe empowering millions of
individuals. Today, after 200 years we are on the verge of a revolution
in Braille. Braille Me, is built to bring digital braille to everyone
immaterial of their geographical, economic or lingual background.

It has a six-dot 20-cell braille display, a Perkins-style keypad, cursor
routing buttons and few navigation keys. It has capabilities to work as
a stand-alone editor and also connect to smartphones and computers via
Bluetooth and USB. It is a balanced device with core features of a
complex notetaker while having the simplicity of a braille display.

Braille Me has become possible due to two breakthroughs in Affordability
and multi-language. Braille Me is designed with our patented Braille
cell technology which makes the device cost-effective by an order of
magnitude compared to existing products and supports more than 40
languages spanning all across the globe.

To know more about Braille Me please check our demonstration video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz1cUZcf-1A
<https://innovisiontech-dot-yamm-track.appspot.com/Redirect?ukey=1faNFNvnKA_4Ij1SFgAV4lloCizIP-yQHxS_P4iDZetA-0&key=YAMMID-71407346&link=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DFz1cUZcf-1A>

Also check out our facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/InnovisionTechnologies/
<https://innovisiontech-dot-yamm-track.appspot.com/Redirect?ukey=1faNFNvnKA_4Ij1SFgAV4lloCizIP-yQHxS_P4iDZetA-0&key=YAMMID-71407346&link=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FInnovisionTechnologies%2F>

Reaching out:

We are eager to serve you and look forward to engaging with you.
Currently, we are looking for partners who can help us in the
distribution and training in your state/country. Please let us know if
you are part of or are in touch with any Institute for Visually
impaired, commercial distributors of disability aids or NGOs working in
your area.
Your help in identifying key partners would go a long way in expediting
distribution of Braille Me in your locality.

We hope you would join us in this effort to bring digital braille to
every student and professional in need.
In case you have any queries, please feel free to reach out to our team
at customercare@innovisiontech.co <mailto:info@innovisiontech.co>
We look forward to hearing from you.
--
Warm Regards
Shyam Shah
CEO & Co-founder
INNOVISION
www.innovisiontech.co
<https://innovisiontech-dot-yamm-track.appspot.com/Redirect?ukey=1faNFNvnKA_4Ij1SFgAV4lloCizIP-yQHxS_P4iDZetA-0&key=YAMMID-71407346&link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.innovisiontech.co%2F>



Inline image 1
DISCLAIMER: This email (including any attachments) is intended for the
sole use of the intended recipient/s and may contain material that is
CONFIDENTIAL AND PRIVATE COMPANY INFORMATION. Any review or reliance by
others or copying or distribution or forwarding of any or all of the
contents in this message is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. The opinions expressed
are those of the sender and do not necessarily reflect those of the
Company. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the
sender by email and delete all copies; your cooperation in this regard
is appreciated.

beacon