Date   

Re: Windows 10 App Essentials 1702

 

Hi,

It is intentional: suppose you run Calculator in Creators Update (or the upcoming major build) and tell NVDA to announce typed characters. You’ll hear duplicates if this happens. However, I’ll leave open the possibility where this will not be the case anymore in a few weeks if people say that they prefer hearing “display is N” each time you press number keys or what not (a decision having to do with user experience, not a technical one).

Cheers,

Joseph

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Chris Mullins
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 4:46 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Windows 10 App Essentials 1702

 

Hi

I may be mistaken , I can’t check because i deleted the message but together with the announcement that Windows Mail app can now read messages with the arrow keys, Joseph said that the Calculator app will not read anything but the display field without the addon.  He may have been referring to an upcoming build of Windows (I’m using Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.693)) but if not, then in the Calculator app this is not the case. 

 

Without the app essentials add-on running, the calculator display value is echoed as you type, with the add-on this does not occur, in all other aspects, access to other parts of the calculator app appears to be identical whether the add-on is running or not.  In my opinion, the add-on makes Calculator access less user friendly.

 

Cheers

Chris 


Windows 10 App Essentials 1702

Chris Mullins
 

Hi

I may be mistaken , I can’t check because i deleted the message but together with the announcement that Windows Mail app can now read messages with the arrow keys, Joseph said that the Calculator app will not read anything but the display field without the addon.  He may have been referring to an upcoming build of Windows (I’m using Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.693)) but if not, then in the Calculator app this is not the case. 

 

Without the app essentials add-on running, the calculator display value is echoed as you type, with the add-on this does not occur, in all other aspects, access to other parts of the calculator app appears to be identical whether the add-on is running or not.  In my opinion, the add-on makes Calculator access less user friendly.

 

Cheers

Chris 


Re: getting NVDA to indicate capital letters

Clare Page <clare.page@...>
 

Hi!

Another option is to check Beep For Capitals in the Voice Settings dialogue: that’s the option I personally use. That way I can hear what letters are capitals when reading character by character, regardless of which voice synthesizer I use and whether they can do pitch changes or not.

It’s still good to have the choice of how capitals are indicated, though.

Bye for now!

From Clare

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Chris
Sent: samedi 25 février 2017 11:20
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] getting NVDA to indicate capital letters

 

You all going down the wrong track!

 

Go to nvda voice settings and check say cap before capitals

 

Job done!

 


Re: getting NVDA to indicate capital letters

Chris Mullins
 

In what context are you trying to hear the difference in the case of letters?  It will only be heard if you are either navigating text by letter or typing letters into a document or input field of some kind.

 

Cheers

Chris

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Robert Mendoza
Sent: 25 February 2017 06:14
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] getting NVDA to indicate capital letters

 

Alright then, maybe someone could shell out some advice from our fellow listers if they are using the same case you have. That's all I could give an advise for now.


Robert Mendoza

On 2/25/2017 1:59 PM, Dennis L wrote:

It is the eloquence adon from codefactory.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Robert Mendoza
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 12:54 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] getting NVDA to indicate capital letters

 

That's kindly odd to know. I may asked what version of nvda that was installed to your machine? or perhaps tried to disable all the addons by restarting to double check the problem. I don't think any possible could have trigger a problem other than that because it works fine from here at all. Or, the last option will be resetting the nvda to factory default to ensure you made all the possible troubleshooting.



Robert Mendoza

On 2/25/2017 1:38 PM, Dennis L wrote:

I increased it but didn’t notice any difference

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Robert Mendoza
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 12:22 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] getting NVDA to indicate capital letters

 

It seems you just increases the pitch volume of the voice itself. But, you were able to tabbed through till you heard that says "Capital pitch change percentage 30", The numeric or the edit field of 30 was the default You can increases it that the value on your preferred or desired value you like. Then, pressed Okay to take apply the changes.




Robert Mendoza

On 2/25/2017 11:37 AM, Dennis L wrote:

I tried that nothing happened. When I got to the setting I didn't notice a difference after making the number higher.

Sent from my Android phone using Aqua Mail

On February 24, 2017 10:31:05 PM "Robert Mendoza" <lowvisiontek@...> wrote:

You may pressed nvda plus control V, to go directly of the Voice Setting options. Then, follow the steps mentioned below as per suggested earlier to this thread.




Robert Mendoza

On 2/25/2017 10:38 AM, Dennis L wrote:

When I press nvda v nothing happens.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2017 9:07 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] getting NVDA to indicate capital letters

 

Open voice settings with NVDA key v. 

Tab through the items in the dialog and you'll see an edit field where you can type a numeric entry for the pitch of capital letters.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Dennis L

Sent: Friday, February 24, 2017 6:36 PM

Subject: [nvda] getting NVDA to indicate capital letters

 

Hi,  is there any way to get NVDA  to indicate capital letters with a higher pitch sound in the TTs similar to Jaws?  Thanks..

 

 

 

 


Re: Two issues with the "Windows 10 App Essentials" add-on

 

Hello Joseph and others,

Sorry to revive this old threat, but I must, since I have an announcement to make about the raised by me issues in it.

And the announcement is a very good one. After updating Windows 10 App Essentials to version 17.02, the issue with not being able to read a mail message in the E-Mail app using the arrow keys is no longer present - now I can read a mail message with the arrow keys. I don't know what caused the issue and how it got fixed, but I'm happy that it's gone now. 😀

______
Best wishes,
Kostadin Kolev


На 30.9.2016 г. в 11:11, Joseph Lee написа:

Hi,
Calculator display: with the add-on turned off, if you move to places other than results box, you won't hear anything.
I may need to raise an issue in the tracker for this add-on to announce things like "sine" and "roots" if such shortcut keys were pressed (may not see the light of day until add-on 16.11 at the earliest).
Cheers,
Joseph

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kostadin Kolev" <k.kolev1985@...
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Date sent: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 10:45:19 +0300
Subject: Re: [nvda] Two issues with the "Windows 10 App Essentials" add-on

<html
 <head
   <meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type"
 </head
 <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000"
   <p>Hello Joseph,<br
     <br
     Yes, the version of the add-on is 16.10.</p
   About the "Calculator" app.  OK, if you think this is a better
   solution.  Though personally I'd prefer to hear all changes of the
   display, as it is the behavior without the add-on.<br
   <p>______<br
     Best wishes,<br
     Kostadin Kolev</p
   <br
   <div class="moz-cite-prefix">?? 30.9.2016 ?.  ? 10:37, Joseph Lee
     ??????:<br
   </div
   <blockquote cite="mid:147909BCE49AB58E.27670@groups.io" type="cite">Hi,
     <br
     Which add-on version are you using (16.10 perhaps)?
     <br
     Mail: Can anyone else confirm this? I can read messages using
     arrow keys. Note that due to changes introduced as part of Edge
     support work (next branch for now), I have disabled my workaround
     in Mail app.
     <br
     Calculator: this is intentional to keep user experience as similar
     to old Calculator program (also quite verbose to hear this
     information every time you enter something). Ideally NVDA should
     be able to announce characters you type, but unfortunately, we
     won't see a solution for a while.
     <br
     Due to events I'll be attending, I may not be able to maintain the
     add-on for the next few days; in the
     <br
     meantime, Derek Riemer will fill in my shoes. Thanks.
     <br
     Cheers,
     <br
     Joseph
     <br
     ----- Original Message -----
     <br
     From: "Kostadin Kolev" &lt;<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:k.kolev1985@...">k.kolev1985@...</a
     <br
     To: <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io">nvda@nvda.groups.io</a
     <br
     Date sent: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 10:14:45 +0300
     <br
     Subject: [nvda] Two issues with the "Windows 10 App Essentials"
     add-on
     <br
     <br
     &lt;html
     <br
     &lt;head
     <br
     <br
     젨 &lt;meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;
     charset=utf-8"
     <br
     &lt;/head
     <br
     &lt;body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000"
     <br
     젨 Hello Joseph and all,&lt;br
     <br
     젨 &lt;br
     <br
     젨 I've noticed two issues while using the "Windows 10 App
     Essentials"
     <br
     젨 add-on:&lt;br
     <br
     젨 1. In the "Calculator" app, when I enter digits, NVDA does not
     <br
     젨 announce the change in the display. It announces the change
     only
     <br
     젨 after I press ENTER to get the result. If I disable the
     "Windows 10
     <br
     젨 App Essentials", the issue stops occurring.&lt;br
     <br
     젨 2. In the "Mail" app, I cannot read a message only by pressing
     UP or
     <br
     젨 DOWN arrows. I can read it only with "Say All". If I disable
     the
     <br
     젨 "Windows 10 App Essentials" add-on, the issue disappears and I
     can
     <br
     젨 read the message body with UP and DOWN arrows.&lt;br
     <br
     젨 &lt;br
     <br
     젨 Test environment:&lt;br
     <br
     젨 - Operating system: Windows 10 Pro (build 14393.222), 64-bit,
     in
     <br
     젨 Bulgarian with all locale settings set to "Bulgarian".&lt;br
     <br
     젨 - NVDA version: next-13616,d4743fcc, in bulgarian.&lt;br
     <br
     젨 - "Mail" app version: 17.7167.40817.0, in bulgarian.&lt;br
     <br
     젨 - "Calculator" app version: can't find it, but it should be the
     <br
     젨 latest from the apps store.&lt;br
     <br
     젨 &lt;br
     <br
     젨 If you need more information from me in order to be able to
     diagnose
     <br
     젨 the issue, please let me know and I'll try to help as best as I
     can.&lt;br
     <br
     젨 &lt;br
     <br
     젨 ______&lt;br
     <br
     젨 Best wishes,&lt;br
     <br
     젨 Kostadin Kolev
     <br
     &lt;/body
     <br
     &lt;/html
     <br
     <br
     &lt;div width="1" style="color:white;clear:both"&gt;&lt;/div
     <br
     <br
     <br

     <br
     <br
   </blockquote
   <br
 </body
</html

<div width="1" style="color:white;clear:both"></div







Re: getting NVDA to indicate capital letters

Chris
 

You all going down the wrong track!

 

Go to nvda voice settings and check say cap before capitals

 

Job done!

 


Re: New windows not always detected

Jacques <lists4js@...>
 

I understand, thanks for clarifying your point.

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Michel Such
Sent: Saturday, 25 February 2017 11:58
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] New windows not always detected

 

I did not say it does not happen on powerful machines, I just that it happens more systematically on small ones.

For example, on my I7 machine, when launching Firevox, NVDA gets to the firefox window most of the time, which almost never happens on my netbook.

There is at leest one app that never gets correctly focused, Libreoffice.

 

                    Michel SUCH
 
michel.such@...
Skype : michel.such
Twitter : @SuchMichel

Le 2017-02-25 à 09:45, Jacques a écrit :

This is not correct. Ive seen this behaviour on I7s, including my own.

 

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Michel Such
Sent: Saturday, 25 February 2017 10:41
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] New windows not always detected

 

Hi,

 

It seems it happens more often on relatively slow machines.

 

                    Michel SUCH
 
michel.such@...
Skype : michel.such
Twitter : @SuchMichel

Le 2017-02-25 à 09:32, Gene a écrit :

I saw a message from an XP user saying that he doesn't encounter the problem in XP.  I still use XP and I see the problem in Firefox, Chrome and Tapin Radio.

 

I didn't keep the message so I can't include it in the quoted previous messages.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 2:29 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] New windows not always detected

 

I have encountered it, too.

 

On 2/25/2017 8:51 AM, Felix G. wrote:

Hello,

I'd like to ask if anyone else has encountered the following:

When launching an application, for example by hitting enter on Mozilla Firefox on the desktop, NVDA sometimes fails to detect there is a new active window. It will not automatically say anything, and pressing NVDA+t will still yield "Explorer" as if the desktop still had focus. However, pressing tab clearly shows that Firefox had focus because it performs the expected action of jumping, for example, out of the address field and into the search field.

For an experiment I gave it a full five minutes to see if it just takes an awful lot of time, but no luck. So, window activation events seem under certain conditions to be able to pass under NVDA's radar.

It might be worth noting that I noticed this not long after a reboot and the dust might not have fully settled in terms of background tasks starting and stopping.

Kind regards,

Felix

 

Virus-free. www.avast.com

 

 


update alert opening in background

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

Has anyone else noticed that in Windows 10, when there is a new update it seems to open silently in the background, often going unnoticed till you start to close programs?

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.


Re: New windows not always detected

Michel Such
 

I did not say it does not happen on powerful machines, I just that it happens more systematically on small ones.

For example, on my I7 machine, when launching Firevox, NVDA gets to the firefox window most of the time, which almost never happens on my netbook.

There is at leest one app that never gets correctly focused, Libreoffice.


                    Michel SUCH

michel.such@...
Skype : michel.such
Twitter : @SuchMichel
Le 2017-02-25 à 09:45, Jacques a écrit :

This is not correct. Ive seen this behaviour on I7s, including my own.

 

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Michel Such
Sent: Saturday, 25 February 2017 10:41
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] New windows not always detected

 

Hi,

 

It seems it happens more often on relatively slow machines.

 

                    Michel SUCH
 
michel.such@...
Skype : michel.such
Twitter : @SuchMichel

Le 2017-02-25 à 09:32, Gene a écrit :

I saw a message from an XP user saying that he doesn't encounter the problem in XP.  I still use XP and I see the problem in Firefox, Chrome and Tapin Radio.

 

I didn't keep the message so I can't include it in the quoted previous messages.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Dejan Ristic

Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 2:29 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] New windows not always detected

 

I have encountered it, too.

 

On 2/25/2017 8:51 AM, Felix G. wrote:

Hello,

I'd like to ask if anyone else has encountered the following:

When launching an application, for example by hitting enter on Mozilla Firefox on the desktop, NVDA sometimes fails to detect there is a new active window. It will not automatically say anything, and pressing NVDA+t will still yield "Explorer" as if the desktop still had focus. However, pressing tab clearly shows that Firefox had focus because it performs the expected action of jumping, for example, out of the address field and into the search field.

For an experiment I gave it a full five minutes to see if it just takes an awful lot of time, but no luck. So, window activation events seem under certain conditions to be able to pass under NVDA's radar.

It might be worth noting that I noticed this not long after a reboot and the dust might not have fully settled in terms of background tasks starting and stopping.

Kind regards,

Felix

 

Virus-free. www.avast.com

 



Re: Cell reporting in the Document formatting menu

Thomas Stivers
 

    All,


The column number can be included in the word status bar.


1. After opening Word press F6 to switch to the status bar pane. If you have other panes open you may have to press F6 more than once.

2. Press the Applications key or Shift+F10 to open the context menu for the status bar.

3. In this menu there are a number of items which can be shown or hidden by pressing enter on them.

4. Press escape once you have added and removed the status bar items you like and then Shift+F6 to get back to the open document.


While this will tell you the column number I have not found a way to get NVDA to report the horizontal position of the cursor in inches. To me this is even more important than the column number because if a line is centered its first character will still be called column 1 though it does not line up with column 1 of left aligned paragraphs or even with other centered paragraphs. Is there a way to get the horizontal position information in Word documents from NVDA?


Thanks, and hope my answer is helpful.


Thomas


Re: New windows not always detected

Jacques <lists4js@...>
 

This is not correct. Ive seen this behaviour on I7s, including my own.

 

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Michel Such
Sent: Saturday, 25 February 2017 10:41
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] New windows not always detected

 

Hi,

 

It seems it happens more often on relatively slow machines.

 

                    Michel SUCH
 
michel.such@...
Skype : michel.such
Twitter : @SuchMichel

Le 2017-02-25 à 09:32, Gene a écrit :

I saw a message from an XP user saying that he doesn't encounter the problem in XP.  I still use XP and I see the problem in Firefox, Chrome and Tapin Radio.

 

I didn't keep the message so I can't include it in the quoted previous messages.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 2:29 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] New windows not always detected

 

I have encountered it, too.

 

On 2/25/2017 8:51 AM, Felix G. wrote:

Hello,

I'd like to ask if anyone else has encountered the following:

When launching an application, for example by hitting enter on Mozilla Firefox on the desktop, NVDA sometimes fails to detect there is a new active window. It will not automatically say anything, and pressing NVDA+t will still yield "Explorer" as if the desktop still had focus. However, pressing tab clearly shows that Firefox had focus because it performs the expected action of jumping, for example, out of the address field and into the search field.

For an experiment I gave it a full five minutes to see if it just takes an awful lot of time, but no luck. So, window activation events seem under certain conditions to be able to pass under NVDA's radar.

It might be worth noting that I noticed this not long after a reboot and the dust might not have fully settled in terms of background tasks starting and stopping.

Kind regards,

Felix

 

Virus-free. www.avast.com

 


Re: New windows not always detected

Michel Such
 

Hi,


It seems it happens more often on relatively slow machines.


                    Michel SUCH

michel.such@...
Skype : michel.such
Twitter : @SuchMichel
Le 2017-02-25 à 09:32, Gene a écrit :

I saw a message from an XP user saying that he doesn't encounter the problem in XP.  I still use XP and I see the problem in Firefox, Chrome and Tapin Radio.
 
I didn't keep the message so I can't include it in the quoted previous messages.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 2:29 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] New windows not always detected

I have encountered it, too.


On 2/25/2017 8:51 AM, Felix G. wrote:
Hello,
I'd like to ask if anyone else has encountered the following:
When launching an application, for example by hitting enter on Mozilla Firefox on the desktop, NVDA sometimes fails to detect there is a new active window. It will not automatically say anything, and pressing NVDA+t will still yield "Explorer" as if the desktop still had focus. However, pressing tab clearly shows that Firefox had focus because it performs the expected action of jumping, for example, out of the address field and into the search field.
For an experiment I gave it a full five minutes to see if it just takes an awful lot of time, but no luck. So, window activation events seem under certain conditions to be able to pass under NVDA's radar.
It might be worth noting that I noticed this not long after a reboot and the dust might not have fully settled in terms of background tasks starting and stopping.
Kind regards,
Felix


Virus-free. www.avast.com


Re: New windows not always detected

Gene
 

I saw a message from an XP user saying that he doesn't encounter the problem in XP.  I still use XP and I see the problem in Firefox, Chrome and Tapin Radio.
 
I didn't keep the message so I can't include it in the quoted previous messages.
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 2:29 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] New windows not always detected

I have encountered it, too.


On 2/25/2017 8:51 AM, Felix G. wrote:
Hello,
I'd like to ask if anyone else has encountered the following:
When launching an application, for example by hitting enter on Mozilla Firefox on the desktop, NVDA sometimes fails to detect there is a new active window. It will not automatically say anything, and pressing NVDA+t will still yield "Explorer" as if the desktop still had focus. However, pressing tab clearly shows that Firefox had focus because it performs the expected action of jumping, for example, out of the address field and into the search field.
For an experiment I gave it a full five minutes to see if it just takes an awful lot of time, but no luck. So, window activation events seem under certain conditions to be able to pass under NVDA's radar.
It might be worth noting that I noticed this not long after a reboot and the dust might not have fully settled in terms of background tasks starting and stopping.
Kind regards,
Felix


Virus-free. www.avast.com


Re: New windows not always detected

Gene
 

I've seen this but there is no reason to assume that focus has properly shifted in Windows,  Presssing tab may cause some event to occur that finishes the focus change.  I doubt this is an NVDA problem but whether it is or not, this can be tested by using another screen-reader to test with such as a JAWS demo. 
 
Also, those knowledgeable in reading the NVDA log may be able to determine if this is an NVDA problem by reading the log.  But the fact that the problem occurs in very few programs makes me somewhat skeptical that it is an NVDA problem.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----

From: Felix G.
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 1:51 AM
Subject: [nvda] New windows not always detected

Hello,
I'd like to ask if anyone else has encountered the following:
When launching an application, for example by hitting enter on Mozilla Firefox on the desktop, NVDA sometimes fails to detect there is a new active window. It will not automatically say anything, and pressing NVDA+t will still yield "Explorer" as if the desktop still had focus. However, pressing tab clearly shows that Firefox had focus because it performs the expected action of jumping, for example, out of the address field and into the search field.
For an experiment I gave it a full five minutes to see if it just takes an awful lot of time, but no luck. So, window activation events seem under certain conditions to be able to pass under NVDA's radar.
It might be worth noting that I noticed this not long after a reboot and the dust might not have fully settled in terms of background tasks starting and stopping.
Kind regards,
Felix


Re: New windows not always detected

Dejan Ristic
 

I have encountered it, too.


On 2/25/2017 8:51 AM, Felix G. wrote:
Hello,
I'd like to ask if anyone else has encountered the following:
When launching an application, for example by hitting enter on Mozilla Firefox on the desktop, NVDA sometimes fails to detect there is a new active window. It will not automatically say anything, and pressing NVDA+t will still yield "Explorer" as if the desktop still had focus. However, pressing tab clearly shows that Firefox had focus because it performs the expected action of jumping, for example, out of the address field and into the search field.
For an experiment I gave it a full five minutes to see if it just takes an awful lot of time, but no luck. So, window activation events seem under certain conditions to be able to pass under NVDA's radar.
It might be worth noting that I noticed this not long after a reboot and the dust might not have fully settled in terms of background tasks starting and stopping.
Kind regards,
Felix


Virus-free. www.avast.com


Re: New windows not always detected

 

hi.
i use windows xp and dont have such problem.
i am not sure about other versions of windows.

On 2/25/17, Jacques <lists4js@...> wrote:
As previously reported, this scenario certainly is true for Office
applications too. I personally am hoping for an improvement in this regard
for the next release. However, I do have sympathy for the developers, since
it cannot be reproduced consistently.



Jacques



<https://www.stascom.co.za/> Open my home page |
<mailto:webmaster@...> contact webmaster |
<https://www.twitter.com/stassenj> follow on Twitter



From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Felix
G.
Sent: Saturday, 25 February 2017 09:51
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] New windows not always detected



Hello,

I'd like to ask if anyone else has encountered the following:

When launching an application, for example by hitting enter on Mozilla
Firefox on the desktop, NVDA sometimes fails to detect there is a new active
window. It will not automatically say anything, and pressing NVDA+t will
still yield "Explorer" as if the desktop still had focus. However, pressing
tab clearly shows that Firefox had focus because it performs the expected
action of jumping, for example, out of the address field and into the search
field.

For an experiment I gave it a full five minutes to see if it just takes an
awful lot of time, but no luck. So, window activation events seem under
certain conditions to be able to pass under NVDA's radar.

It might be worth noting that I noticed this not long after a reboot and the
dust might not have fully settled in terms of background tasks starting and
stopping.

Kind regards,

Felix



--
we have not sent you but as a mercy to the creation.
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
imam hosein is the beacon of light and the ark of salvation.
best website for studying islamic book in different languages
al-islam.org


Re: New windows not always detected

Jacques <lists4js@...>
 

As previously reported, this scenario certainly is true for Office applications too. I personally am hoping for an improvement in this regard for the next release. However, I do have sympathy for the developers, since it cannot be reproduced consistently.

 

Jacques

 

Open my home page  |  contact webmaster  |  follow on Twitter

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Felix G.
Sent: Saturday, 25 February 2017 09:51
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] New windows not always detected

 

Hello,

I'd like to ask if anyone else has encountered the following:

When launching an application, for example by hitting enter on Mozilla Firefox on the desktop, NVDA sometimes fails to detect there is a new active window. It will not automatically say anything, and pressing NVDA+t will still yield "Explorer" as if the desktop still had focus. However, pressing tab clearly shows that Firefox had focus because it performs the expected action of jumping, for example, out of the address field and into the search field.

For an experiment I gave it a full five minutes to see if it just takes an awful lot of time, but no luck. So, window activation events seem under certain conditions to be able to pass under NVDA's radar.

It might be worth noting that I noticed this not long after a reboot and the dust might not have fully settled in terms of background tasks starting and stopping.

Kind regards,

Felix


Re: getting NVDA to indicate capital letters

Gene
 

The trouble shooting procedures suggested in the below message are probably unnecessary.   The first thing to determine is whether this function is supported by the implementation of Eloquence being used.  this can be determined pretty accurately by switching to a different synthesizer such as e-speak and seeing whether the pitch change changes when the number is changed.  If it does, then this is likely something the user can't change with the implementation of Eloquence being used. 
 
With e-speak, the default 30 produces very little pitch change.  Using something as a test such as 60 produce a dramatic pitch change.
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2017 11:54 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] getting NVDA to indicate capital letters

That's kindly odd to know. I may asked what version of nvda that was installed to your machine? or perhaps tried to disable all the addons by restarting to double check the problem. I don't think any possible could have trigger a problem other than that because it works fine from here at all. Or, the last option will be resetting the nvda to factory default to ensure you made all the possible troubleshooting.

Robert Mendoza
On 2/25/2017 1:38 PM, Dennis L wrote:

I increased it but didn’t notice any difference

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Robert Mendoza
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 12:22 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] getting NVDA to indicate capital letters

 

It seems you just increases the pitch volume of the voice itself. But, you were able to tabbed through till you heard that says "Capital pitch change percentage 30", The numeric or the edit field of 30 was the default You can increases it that the value on your preferred or desired value you like. Then, pressed Okay to take apply the changes.


Robert Mendoza

On 2/25/2017 11:37 AM, Dennis L wrote:

I tried that nothing happened. When I got to the setting I didn't notice a difference after making the number higher.

Sent from my Android phone using Aqua Mail

On February 24, 2017 10:31:05 PM "Robert Mendoza" <lowvisiontek@...> wrote:

You may pressed nvda plus control V, to go directly of the Voice Setting options. Then, follow the steps mentioned below as per suggested earlier to this thread.


Robert Mendoza

On 2/25/2017 10:38 AM, Dennis L wrote:

When I press nvda v nothing happens.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2017 9:07 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] getting NVDA to indicate capital letters

 

Open voice settings with NVDA key v. 

Tab through the items in the dialog and you'll see an edit field where you can type a numeric entry for the pitch of capital letters.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Dennis L

Sent: Friday, February 24, 2017 6:36 PM

Subject: [nvda] getting NVDA to indicate capital letters

 

Hi,  is there any way to get NVDA  to indicate capital letters with a higher pitch sound in the TTs similar to Jaws?  Thanks..

 

 



Re: New windows not always detected

Michael Capelle <mcapelle@...>
 

yes, this happens all the time on my 7 and 10 machine.
 

From: Felix G.
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 1:51 AM
Subject: [nvda] New windows not always detected
 
Hello,
I'd like to ask if anyone else has encountered the following:
When launching an application, for example by hitting enter on Mozilla Firefox on the desktop, NVDA sometimes fails to detect there is a new active window. It will not automatically say anything, and pressing NVDA+t will still yield "Explorer" as if the desktop still had focus. However, pressing tab clearly shows that Firefox had focus because it performs the expected action of jumping, for example, out of the address field and into the search field.
For an experiment I gave it a full five minutes to see if it just takes an awful lot of time, but no luck. So, window activation events seem under certain conditions to be able to pass under NVDA's radar.
It might be worth noting that I noticed this not long after a reboot and the dust might not have fully settled in terms of background tasks starting and stopping.
Kind regards,
Felix


Re: Questions and suggestions

Gene
 

For years, the only way blind people could get to the system tray was with the screen-reader dialog.  It became so well entrenched and so expected a way to reach it that it should be included in screen-readers.  Whether it is duplicative or not, at times in this and other contexts, technology related or not, a practice is so well entrenched that it may be desirable to continue it whether it is duplicative or not. 
 
Sighted people have constant and unnecessary instructions on how to do things.  How many obvious buttons on machines, for example, have something completely unnecessary written as a prompt such as push.  What else are you going to do with a button on a machine? Why is there so much opposition to, not as a general practice, but in this one instance, making things a gbit easier for a lot of NVDA users while doing no harm? 
 
And at very rare times, I have found it necessary to have the dialog available.  As I said yesterday, I've seen very rare instances where you can't work with an icon except in the screen-reader provided system tray dialog.
 
Furthermore, to work with the Windows implementation, you need to know commands most blind computer users don't know.  Enter equals left double click in the system tray.  Space bar equals left single click.  The context menu key equals right click.  Since even a lot of experienced computer users don't know such commands implementing a system tray dialog will eliminate frustration and problems that will occur without knowing them.  And, unless this has been changed, these commands are not covered in the NVDA users' guide.  And how many people read manuals with any thoroughness?  And finally, when using the system tray directly, you don't up and down arrow through icons.  You right or left arrow.  The commands I've given and the difference in movement commands can easily be explained.  But most users are not on lists such as this, probably don't read the user Guide with the kind of thoroughness that would allow them to discover such commands and, as I said, unless this has changed, these things aren't discussed in the users Guide.  The Windows command is given at some point, but I don't think any of what I have discussed other than that is provided. 
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, February 24, 2017 9:35 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Questions and suggestions

This argument is silly.

The windows-b key gives you access, what's the issue?  Windows-b works regardless of screen reader, windows version, or desktop/laptop keyboard layout.  I see no problem here, and arguing that other screen readers provide another keystroke for the same function is a spurious argument.  Other windows screen readers aren't open source either, but I don't see anyone pushing to have this fixed.  Other windows screen readers also tend to be larger, and take up more system resources (on average) but I don't see anyone complaining about this either.  Just because other screen readers have something doesn't automatically make it something NVDA *must* have.  Windows provides the keystroke windows-b for a reason, and there's no reason to duplicate the effort by building access to the same function just because you can.

Good lord, if folks wanted every single windows function duplicated, just imagine how much bloat screen readers would have.  Nothing wrong with leaving windows keystrokes alone, and just pointing them out when someone asks.  No need to needlessly duplicate existing functionality.  Should NVDA provide another keystroke to switch between programs when alt-tab does the job just fine?

Give it a rest already.



On 2/24/2017 5:34 PM, Kwork wrote:
Agreed here completely. This should be a core NVDA function, and not only available by installing an add-on. But this has been hashed out before, with NVDA developers ignoring the desires of some of us users.
Travis
----- Original Message -----
From: Gene
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2017 10:29 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Questions and suggestions

That isn't the reason and that argument is irrelevant.  The system tray wasn't accessible years ago through Windows.  There needed to be a screen-reader dialog to provide access.  That's how the whole separate access got started and System Access uses the same command.  Window-eyes uses a different command but it too provides a system tray dialog. 
 
There are times, like it or not, when the dialog works better than using the Windows access method and it should be provided as a part of screen-readers. 
 
Sometimes, I get access to something using the Windows method when the dialog doesn't work properly and at other times, I have found the only way I've gotten access to an item is by using the dialog.  These instances where one or the other method doesn't work are rare but the argument that the screen-reader dialog method is nothing but duplication is not correct. 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2017 10:21 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Questions and suggestions

Because NVDA is not jaws, and there's no reason to make it mirror jaws keystrokes.  The windows-b keystroke will work no matter what you use for a screen reader, since it's a windows command.  That's why NVDA uses it.  There is no dedicated NVDA keystroke for this function.



On 2/23/2017 8:36 PM, Arlene wrote:

Hi, I don’t know if I can say here! When you go to your system trey. Why not make future builds of NVDA be insert F 11? Instead of windows B. 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Damien Sykes-Lindley
Sent: February-23-17 9:06 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Questions and suggestions

 

Hi Gene,

Hotkeys are indeed excellent. One of the first thing I look for in a program is hotkeys. In fact, some have so many that it’s hard to memorise all of them. But at least they’re there!

The only problem I have with Windows shortcuts being linked to them is that, because they are global throughout the whole system, it can unfortunately cause conflicts with other running applications that utilise those shortcuts. For instance, I could assign a ctrl+alt+q shortcut to launch QWS (a MIDI sequencer), and another application may use ctrl+alt+q to mean quit. I have known ctrl+alt+o for options, ctrl+alt+x for exit, ctrl+alt+n/p for next/previous, all of which can be assigned to a Windows hotkey, and then it’s touch and go as to which item activates. Otherwise, I’m definitely all for hotkeys!

As an aside, I must admit I do find it odd, and mildly frustrating that there are four modifier keys that can be used to register hotkeys and yet it is still possible to run out of logical keys! This is even more so for global shortcut-linked ones, since I think you can only have ctrl+alt and ctrl+shift combos. Possibly if you’re extremely dextrous you might be able to have ctrl+shift+alt, I haven’t dared to try that one. Lol.

First letter navigation. Now you mention it I am aware of it. I use it all the time to move quickly to files in Explorer. But for some reason it didn’t cross my mind for the desktop (even though I know that is also controlled by explorer). I guess because my explorer is in detail view, and the desktop shows as a sort of grid layout I treated them as two separate systems. Strange how brains work!

Cheers.
Damien.





Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com






Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com