Date   

Re: control alt n no longer restarts nvda

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

From what I've read it seems to be something to do with the last update when the new one is done. No I have no idea quite why, but previous windows updates have been known to cause such funnny things. always a good idea to try all your shortcuts when any update is done.
They normally can be easiliy edited in properties.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Albert Ruel" <albertruel@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2017 10:39 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] control alt n no longer restarts nvda


That's odd, I have had the new windows 10 update installed on my computer, and none of my Alt/control shortcut keys have been negatively impacted. NVDA starts very nicely with alt control plus the letter N.

Thx, Albert

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 13, 2017, at 1:37 PM, brian <sackriderbrian45@gmail.com> wrote:

I have noticed that after I got the creators update every time that I try to use control alt n it does not work. I have to press n on my desk top to restart nvda has the command been changed?

Brian Sackrider


Re: control alt n no longer restarts nvda

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

If n works just edit the properties of that shortcut so the hot key works again.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "brian" <sackriderbrian45@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2017 9:37 PM
Subject: [nvda] control alt n no longer restarts nvda


I have noticed that after I got the creators update every time that I try to use control alt n it does not work. I have to press n on my desk top to restart nvda has the command been changed?

Brian Sackrider



Re: Edge in latest Win 10?

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

I'd suggest it is unwise to limit yourself to one browser, as its the design of web pages that often dictates which browser will be best in a given circumstance.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brandt Steenkamp" <brandt.steenkamp@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2017 9:06 PM
Subject: [nvda] Edge in latest Win 10?


Hi there folks,


Is Microsoft Edge usable in the latest Windows 10? I would love to be
able to get rid of extraneous software on the PC.


Thanks so long.


--

Warm regards,

Brandt Steenkamp

Sent from Thunderbird

Contact me:

Phone: +27605259181 <calto://+27605259181/>

Email: Here <mailto:brandt.steenkamp@gmail.com>

Twitter: @brandtsteenkamp <http://www.twitter.com/brandtsteenkamp>;


Re: narator on creaors update

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

What you say about Narrator actually contradicts what the lady from the accessibility team was saying in last novembers cool blind tech interview, where it was said that third party software and access products are important to support.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "brian" <sackriderbrian45@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2017 7:15 PM
Subject: [nvda] narator on creaors update


I thought that I would let you all a couple of issues with narator on the creators update. First narator does not read the percentages when downloading in webie. Second narator does not read messages in thunderbird. When you go to your inbox and go in to a message and you press caps lock m narator just says not on explorable text. I called the microsoft dissibility line and reported theese 2 issues with narator. I was told that narator does not read programs outside of microsoft but they will pass on my feedback as They will have to write the scripts for more programs. I also ask them if they could make updates to work with screen readers to announce the updates as they come in.

Brian Sackrider


On 4/13/2017 1:25 PM, Carlos wrote:
Hello All:

I have Win 8.1 and my computer is qualified to run win 10.

Is there a tutorial for blind users that will guide me through all the steps necessary to have a nice quiet and pain free upgrading experience?

NVDA is my main screen reader and as we all also have narrator which I am not sure how well it might work on the upgrade?

I will be doing the upgrade from the Microsoft accessibility website which offers those upgrad to Win 10 for those who have assistive technologies.

Thank You! In advance for all your good advice and assistance!!!



Re: this NVDA error is driving me nuts!

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

No but it can be easily done in third party software, and then you start to see the would you like to make browser xx you default messages which are all too easy to say yesto accidentally.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene" <gsasner@ripco.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2017 6:45 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] this NVDA error is driving me nuts!


There are very specific things, such as showing Cortana (spelling) results, that are done in Edge and Edge only. There is no other restriction on what the default browser opens. And there certainly isn't any behavior giving preference to Internet Explorer which is available but depricated.

Gene
----- Original Message -----

From: Brian's Mail list account
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2017 12:33 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] this NVDA error is driving me nuts!


I think Microsoft needs to offer counselling after some of the traumas it
puts its users through, personally..f grin. I thought he said it was Windows
1o, which has this strange way of allowing browsers to be default for some
bits but not others I notice. As if life were not complicated enough.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Vogel" <britechguy@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2017 5:15 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] this NVDA error is driving me nuts!


What operating system and version of NVDA are you using, and that's for
starters. The web addresses that are giving the problems wouldn't hurt,
either.

You've not provided enough information for an error like this to give
guidance with any confidence.

--
*Brian*

* * *The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the
right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.*

* ~ Dorothy Nevill*

**


Re: Mary TTS

Arno Schuh
 

Hi,

not an add-on, but if you install SpeechHub it comes with Mary TTS.
Hope Isaac will pick up the development of SpeechHub again. There are a lot of interesting voices in the Mary TTS Project; especially of not so common languages. I was looking for a voice of the nearby Luxembourgian language - but of course nobody will try to create a special voice for barely less than 500 native speakers of a German tongue across the border... The only hit a Google search brings up was a try in Mary TTS.

Arno



Am Freitag, 14. April 2017 00:30 schrieb Ame <abk043@gmail.com>:

Hi!

I was wondering if Mary TTS is compatible with NVDA. I’ve looked in
several places for an addon of some kind and can’t find one. Does a
Mary addon exist? Is it worth having?

Thanks a bunch.


Re: vocalizer tiflotechnia

Quentin Christensen
 

Rui from Tiflotechnica is on this forum so hopefully can answer, but in the meantime, are you experiencing a particular problem that you hope an update will resolve?  Or is there a particular feature you would like in a new update?

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 7:52 AM, Isaac <bigikemusic@...> wrote:
Hi, are they ever going to update the driver and voices?




--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org 
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 


Re: donating

Quentin Christensen
 

It might be worth contacting PayPal as that shouldn't be happening.  You are into the PayPal system by that point, so it's possibly something on their end or something between your computer and PayPal.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 1:29 AM, Don H <lmddh50@...> wrote:
Get as far as typing in my first name.

On 4/13/2017 8:45 AM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
What part are you getting to before you get the message?

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 10:38 PM, Don H <lmddh50@... <mailto:lmddh50@...>> wrote:

    I don't have a PayPal account.

    On 4/12/2017 8:26 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:

        I haven't encountered this either.  Have you happened to pay for
        anything else with PayPal on any other site lately?

        On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 10:58 PM, erik burggraaf
        <erik@... <mailto:erik@...m>
        <mailto:erik@...m
        <mailto:erik@...m>>> wrote:

             Hi Don, did you try donating directly from the website?

             Sent with AquaMail for Android
        http://www.aqua-mail.com



             On April 12, 2017 8:45:49 AM "Don H" <lmddh50@...
        <mailto:lmddh50@...>
             <mailto:lmddh50@... <mailto:lmddh50@...>>>
        wrote:

                 Going through it with no hesitations and it still times
        out.

                 On 4/12/2017 6:50 AM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:

                     Unless you take a number of minutes to fill it out,
        this
                     does not happen
                     to me I have tosay. if you leave it sitting there,
        and go
                     and make a cup
                     of tea it does, but not normally. Very strange.
                     Brian

        bglists@... <mailto:bglists@....uk>
        <mailto:bglists@....uk <mailto:bglists@....uk>>
                     Sent via blueyonder.
                     Please address personal email to:-
        briang1@... <mailto:briang1@....uk>
        <mailto:briang1@....uk <mailto:briang1@....uk>>,
                     putting 'Brian Gaff'
                     in the display name field.
                     ----- Original Message ----- From: "Don H"
                     <lmddh50@... <mailto:lmddh50@...>
        <mailto:lmddh50@... <mailto:lmddh50@...>>>
                     To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io
        <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io
        <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>>>
                     Sent: Monday, April 10, 2017 10:34 PM
                     Subject: [nvda] donating


                         I am trying to make a donation to NVDA using
        the donate
                         link in the
                         NVDA menu.  I can select my amount and hit the
        donate
                         now button.  On
                         the next page when I try to enter my name and
        other info
                         I get a error
                         page that says the web page has expired.  How
        do I get
                         around this
                         problem?
                         If it matters I am in the United States.



















        --         Quentin Christensen
        Training and Support Manager

        Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now
        available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

        Ph +61 7 3149 3306 <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
        <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
        www.nvaccess.org <http://www.nvaccess.org>
        <http://www.nvaccess.org/>
        Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
        <http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess>
        Twitter: @NVAccess







--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306 <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
www.nvaccess.org <http://www.nvaccess.org/>
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess







--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org 
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 


Re: Email Client

Gene
 

Here is a possible solution that doesn't involve trying an uninstallation and reinstallation.  Here is a suggestion from an Internet discussion form.
To enable spell checking in Windows Live Mail:
 
•Go to the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Spelling tab
•Within the Language section click your language to select it
•Click Apply
•Click OK

This was written before the ribbon version came out but you will probably find this item but I'm not sure where.
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
From: Gene
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2017 9:59 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Email Client

I don't know why.  All I can suggest is uninstalling and reinstalling the program.  That might help but I don't know how likely that is.. 
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Peter Chin
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2017 9:23 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Email Client

Hello Gene,
 
Thanks for your suggestion. My last message was written in haste and I neglected to point out that I had already tried F7 without effect. When I go to the spellcheck via the ribbon, it tells me that it is disabled and I can find no way of enabling it.
 
From: Gene
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2017 12:03 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Email Client
 
If you mean to run the spellchecker, the short cut command is f7.  That is a very common command to run the spell checker in programs that have them.
 
Gene
------- Original Message -----
From: Peter Chin
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 2:43 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Email Client
 
I am using mainly Windows Live Mail and for the most part it works well. However, I have not found a way to  enable the spellcheck facility. Suggestions would be appreciated.
 
Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 11:14 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Email Client
 

I'm with everyone so far, but in different senses.

Thunderbird is indeed an excellent e-mail client overall and works beautifully with NVDA and other screen readers.  One can teach basic use and ignore all the bells and whistles not needed.  That being said, the less sophisticated user can and often does get themselves into trouble by fat-fingering something and triggering some function that they do not know about, do not wish to trigger, and have no idea how to exit.  That is the trouble with using a really full-featured e-mail client like Thunderbird.

I like Windows Live Mail 2012, and even though it's no longer officially supported that is mostly because Microsoft decided to change their proprietary access methods and did not wish to continue updating Windows Live Mail.   It still serves perfectly well as a POP or IMAP e-mail client.  If you want to download a copy of the full offline installer for Microsoft Essentials, of which Windows Live Mail is a part, it's on my Google Drive in 7-Zip format here.  I snagged a copy of the offline installer a couple of weeks before Microsoft withdrew active support.

I have recently learned of another fairly simple email client, eM Client, that looks quite good but I have not had a chance yet to evaluate it from an accessibility standpoint.  The interface seems to be simpler than Thunderbird's is, and that can be critical.   If you do evaluate this client for accessibility please report back.
--
Brian

     The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

            ~ Dorothy Nevill

 


Re: Email Client

Gene
 

I don't know why.  All I can suggest is uninstalling and reinstalling the program.  That might help but I don't know how likely that is.. 
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
From: Peter Chin
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2017 9:23 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Email Client

Hello Gene,
 
Thanks for your suggestion. My last message was written in haste and I neglected to point out that I had already tried F7 without effect. When I go to the spellcheck via the ribbon, it tells me that it is disabled and I can find no way of enabling it.
 
From: Gene
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2017 12:03 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Email Client
 
If you mean to run the spellchecker, the short cut command is f7.  That is a very common command to run the spell checker in programs that have them.
 
Gene
------- Original Message -----
From: Peter Chin
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 2:43 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Email Client
 
I am using mainly Windows Live Mail and for the most part it works well. However, I have not found a way to  enable the spellcheck facility. Suggestions would be appreciated.
 
Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 11:14 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Email Client
 

I'm with everyone so far, but in different senses.

Thunderbird is indeed an excellent e-mail client overall and works beautifully with NVDA and other screen readers.  One can teach basic use and ignore all the bells and whistles not needed.  That being said, the less sophisticated user can and often does get themselves into trouble by fat-fingering something and triggering some function that they do not know about, do not wish to trigger, and have no idea how to exit.  That is the trouble with using a really full-featured e-mail client like Thunderbird.

I like Windows Live Mail 2012, and even though it's no longer officially supported that is mostly because Microsoft decided to change their proprietary access methods and did not wish to continue updating Windows Live Mail.   It still serves perfectly well as a POP or IMAP e-mail client.  If you want to download a copy of the full offline installer for Microsoft Essentials, of which Windows Live Mail is a part, it's on my Google Drive in 7-Zip format here.  I snagged a copy of the offline installer a couple of weeks before Microsoft withdrew active support.

I have recently learned of another fairly simple email client, eM Client, that looks quite good but I have not had a chance yet to evaluate it from an accessibility standpoint.  The interface seems to be simpler than Thunderbird's is, and that can be critical.   If you do evaluate this client for accessibility please report back.
--
Brian

     The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

            ~ Dorothy Nevill

 


Re: Email Client

Peter Chin
 

Hello Gene,
 
Thanks for your suggestion. My last message was written in haste and I neglected to point out that I had already tried F7 without effect. When I go to the spellcheck via the ribbon, it tells me that it is disabled and I can find no way of enabling it.
 

From: Gene
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2017 12:03 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Email Client
 
If you mean to run the spellchecker, the short cut command is f7.  That is a very common command to run the spell checker in programs that have them.
 
Gene
------- Original Message -----
From: Peter Chin
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 2:43 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Email Client
 
I am using mainly Windows Live Mail and for the most part it works well. However, I have not found a way to  enable the spellcheck facility. Suggestions would be appreciated.
 
Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 11:14 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Email Client
 

I'm with everyone so far, but in different senses.

Thunderbird is indeed an excellent e-mail client overall and works beautifully with NVDA and other screen readers.  One can teach basic use and ignore all the bells and whistles not needed.  That being said, the less sophisticated user can and often does get themselves into trouble by fat-fingering something and triggering some function that they do not know about, do not wish to trigger, and have no idea how to exit.  That is the trouble with using a really full-featured e-mail client like Thunderbird.

I like Windows Live Mail 2012, and even though it's no longer officially supported that is mostly because Microsoft decided to change their proprietary access methods and did not wish to continue updating Windows Live Mail.   It still serves perfectly well as a POP or IMAP e-mail client.  If you want to download a copy of the full offline installer for Microsoft Essentials, of which Windows Live Mail is a part, it's on my Google Drive in 7-Zip format here.  I snagged a copy of the offline installer a couple of weeks before Microsoft withdrew active support.

I have recently learned of another fairly simple email client, eM Client, that looks quite good but I have not had a chance yet to evaluate it from an accessibility standpoint.  The interface seems to be simpler than Thunderbird's is, and that can be critical.   If you do evaluate this client for accessibility please report back.
--
Brian

     The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

            ~ Dorothy Nevill

 


Spell checking documents or emails

Greg Rhodes
 

Could someone list the steps for spell checking a MS Word document or point me to a tutorial. I know that I press the F7 key but how do I know what the grammar or spelling error is? I know I can Tab to the list of proposed corrections but how do I read them word by word or letter by letter to see how the proposed change compares to what I originally typed? How do I exit out of Grammar/Spell check window?

 

Thanks  

 


Re: Mary TTS

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>
 

Hi


Are you talking about the ones that come with the speech hub package?


If you are after speech hub has been installed you also need to install the add on as well.


This can be found under the following section on the C: drive. program files x86 i think it is then speechhub then inside of that i think it is the first folder where the add on is. Just do the usualy to install the add on then after it is done look under the synth settings in nvda and you should see the packages there. look under the voice settings to see what voices there are.


I do have a audio tutorial on my nvda audio tutorial page for installing it making it go portable etc. the link to this page is http://accessibilitycentral.net/nvda%20audio%20tutorials.html

You can jump down by heading to the speech hub section or written instructions can be found on his website.


Gene nz

well


On 14/04/2017 10:30 AM, Ame wrote:
Hi! 
 
I was wondering if Mary TTS is compatible with NVDA.  I’ve looked in several places for an addon of some kind and can’t find one.  Does a Mary addon exist?  Is it worth having?
 
Thanks a bunch.


Re: control alt n no longer restarts nvda

 

Well maybe just reinstalling nvda I guess.

On 14/04/2017 8:50 a.m., Gene wrote:
Just one of the wonders of Windows. The short cut was evidently removed. Do you know how to recreate it?

Gene
----- Original Message -----

From: brian
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2017 3:37 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] control alt n no longer restarts nvda


I have noticed that after I got the creators update every time that I
try to use control alt n it does not work. I have to press n on my desk
top to restart nvda has the command been changed?

Brian Sackrider




Re: a problem a friend is having after installing a windows update

 

True, user accounts can get corrupted I'd never sign in with an ms account and there is almost no need to unless you really want to.

Ms wants you to but with the apps settings you can do about anything you want bar syncing settings and thats about it.

You also loose automatic setup of some features, well big wows.

On 14/04/2017 7:33 a.m., Engin Albayrak wrote:
Hello.
this problem SOLVED by Creating a new user,. Using "netplwiz" command
through run dialog.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian's
Mail list account
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2017 8:32 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] a problem a friend is having after installing a windows
update

I don't think in Windows 10 that system restore is on by default
unfortunately.
I find it was a bit flakey on 10 anyway.
I'd be tempted to restore an old back up and try again. If its a major
update then it is usually possible to roll back to the old system. However
menues that do not read can be due to many rhings, often as simple as a DLL
used for accessibility not being registered with the system. Unfortunately
sfc /scannow seems not to rectify this problem when it happens.
I don't have access to ten as my machine blew up but in 7 a restore of an
old back up fixed it. Suspect? An update to an office product did the dirty
deed.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "enes saribas" <enes.saribas@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 1:34 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] a problem a friend is having after installing a windows
update


windows 10 1607


On 4/12/2017 1:27 AM, Stephen wrote:
is this with windows 7 or windows 10?

At 08:06 AM 4/12/2017, you wrote:
hi,

After installing the latest windows update, a friend of mine can no
longer read the windows+x menu and many other things. Nvda just says
unknown. SFC scannow has proven ineffective. Also, narrator doesn't
read said menus. Anyone have a solution to this?








.


Re: this NVDA error is driving me nuts!

 

Again I agree with you.

Just to get this box going.

1. reinstall default image.

2. remove with sight bloat.

3. install every update known to man.

4. stay up half the night because of issues during update.

5. install and configure all programs including fixing stuff that didn't work.

6. install or put in data.

7 download shares and get back to normal.

Step 7 is still ongoing though I am back to normal.

The hardest steps were the first 2 with the updating part the most crazy I have ever had to bother with.

On 14/04/2017 5:33 a.m., Brian's Mail list account wrote:
I think Microsoft needs to offer counselling after some of the traumas it puts its users through, personally..f grin. I thought he said it was Windows 1o, which has this strange way of allowing browsers to be default for some bits but not others I notice. As if life were not complicated enough.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Vogel" <britechguy@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2017 5:15 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] this NVDA error is driving me nuts!


What operating system and version of NVDA are you using, and that's for starters. The web addresses that are giving the problems wouldn't hurt, either.

You've not provided enough information for an error like this to give guidance with any confidence.

--
*Brian*

* * *The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.*

* ~ Dorothy Nevill*

**



.


Re: a problem a friend is having after installing a windows update

 

I have used system restore to fix issues I had in 10 a couple times and its worked but I guess I have been extremely lucky.

in 10 its actually harder to mangle unless you actually try to break the system.

On 14/04/2017 5:31 a.m., Brian's Mail list account wrote:
I don't think in Windows 10 that system restore is on by default unfortunately.
I find it was a bit flakey on 10 anyway.
I'd be tempted to restore an old back up and try again. If its a major update then it is usually possible to roll back to the old system. However menues that do not read can be due to many rhings, often as simple as a DLL used for accessibility not being registered with the system. Unfortunately sfc /scannow seems not to rectify this problem when it happens.
I don't have access to ten as my machine blew up but in 7 a restore of an old back up fixed it. Suspect? An update to an office product did the dirty deed.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "enes saribas" <enes.saribas@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 1:34 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] a problem a friend is having after installing a windows update


windows 10 1607


On 4/12/2017 1:27 AM, Stephen wrote:
is this with windows 7 or windows 10?

At 08:06 AM 4/12/2017, you wrote:
hi,

After installing the latest windows update, a friend of mine can no longer read the windows+x menu and many other things. Nvda just says unknown. SFC scannow has proven ineffective. Also, narrator doesn't read said menus. Anyone have a solution to this?







.


Re: a problem a friend is having after installing a windows update

Engin Albayrak <mealbayrak@...>
 

I don't know what causes it.
After creating new user, The old user can be deleted. Of course, You can
transfer the old users folders to new user. And surely, the new user mast be
administrator.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of enes
sarıbaş
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 1:19 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] a problem a friend is having after installing a windows
update

do you know what causes it? Also, after creating the new user, do we delete
the created new user or the old user?


On 4/13/2017 10:33 PM, Engin Albayrak wrote:
Hello.
this problem SOLVED by Creating a new user,. Using "netplwiz" command
through run dialog.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Brian's
Mail list account
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2017 8:32 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] a problem a friend is having after installing a
windows
update

I don't think in Windows 10 that system restore is on by default
unfortunately.
I find it was a bit flakey on 10 anyway.
I'd be tempted to restore an old back up and try again. If its a major
update then it is usually possible to roll back to the old system.
However
menues that do not read can be due to many rhings, often as simple as a
DLL
used for accessibility not being registered with the system. Unfortunately
sfc /scannow seems not to rectify this problem when it happens.
I don't have access to ten as my machine blew up but in 7 a restore of
an
old back up fixed it. Suspect? An update to an office product did the
dirty
deed.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "enes saribas" <enes.saribas@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 1:34 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] a problem a friend is having after installing a
windows
update


windows 10 1607


On 4/12/2017 1:27 AM, Stephen wrote:
is this with windows 7 or windows 10?

At 08:06 AM 4/12/2017, you wrote:
hi,

After installing the latest windows update, a friend of mine can no
longer read the windows+x menu and many other things. Nvda just says
unknown. SFC scannow has proven ineffective. Also, narrator doesn't
read said menus. Anyone have a solution to this?









Mary TTS

Ame
 

Hi! 
 
I was wondering if Mary TTS is compatible with NVDA.  I’ve looked in several places for an addon of some kind and can’t find one.  Does a Mary addon exist?  Is it worth having?
 
Thanks a bunch.


Re: Upgrading to Win 10

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>
 

Hi


the following page from off my website will help you.


On the page you need to jump down the section about upgrading to windows
10. I forget the guys name from blind cool tech that done it but will
give you a idea of what to expect.


Are you going to have a sighted person help you or as they say do it blind.


I here have upgraded a few machines by myself and i have no vision but
if things go wrong you need a sighed person to help hopefully fix the
problem.


The easiest way might be to use the media creadion tool and go up that
way. It will download the file to your pc then go through the process of
installing windows 10. You will have nvda up to about the period of
where it starts rebooting 7 times i think it is then you have to wait
for a period of time before you can start up narrator to finish off the
process.


any how the tutorial is a audio one and will give you a idea of what to do.


it can be found on this page at
http://accessibilitycentral.net/nvda%20audio%20tutorials.html

last night i done it with a CD which had the 1703 build of windows on it
but this was from a earlier version of Windows 10 but along the same
process.


Things might go wrong but may not.


Gene nz

On 14/04/2017 5:25 AM, Carlos wrote:
Hello All:

I have Win 8.1 and my computer is qualified to run win 10.

Is there a tutorial for blind users that will guide me through all
the steps necessary to have a nice quiet and pain free upgrading
experience?

NVDA is my main screen reader and as we all also have narrator
which I am not sure how well it might work on the upgrade?

I will be doing the upgrade from the Microsoft accessibility
website which offers those upgrad to Win 10 for those who have
assistive technologies.

Thank You! In advance for all your good advice and assistance!!!