Date   

Re: Weather Plus important update available

Shaun Oliver
 

it's a distinct possibility, what I'm finding is that firefox is reporting back with it's usual problem loading page when I try to download the add-on. this is what makes me think there might be server lag or a broken route between myself and that particular link. what's happening is it's taking far too long to open the page, and after two or three minutes, firefox returns that page.


given most pages I visit load with thirty seconds to a minute, this is what's lead me to believe, something else is amiss.



On 10/03/2017 07:05, Gene wrote:
You just said the links don't work.  Almost invariably, when someone says that, it's because of a wrapping problem.  When you report a problem with a link, please state what is happening.  Is nothing happening or exactly what.  If the link didn't work because of a wrapping problem, it's very likely that something would have loaded such as a Drop Box page saying that the page couldn't be found or something else would have very likely been displayed such as a file not found message.  If nothing happened at all, then that indicates that a different problem is probably occurring. 
 
There may be some problem but I don't know what.  the link I tested worked fine here.  Can you go to the drop box web site in your browser?  Perhaps there is a problem in your area which is keeping you from being able to contact the drop box site. 
 
But there is nothing wroing with the site's operation.
Gene
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2017 2:16 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Weather Plus important update available

no, it looks like there's some server lag somewhere because it's taking too long to load. and as I've been around computers since 1986 I'm well aware of what can cause something to not work. the links con't wrap here, so I had no problems using either method. and I know full well to remove leading spaces or extranius characters.



On 10/03/2017 06:42, Gene wrote:
While it's possible that there is some other problem, it's very unlikely.  It's very likely that either you didn't paste the entire link or there is a space in the link where the line raps which must be removed.  Review the link in the address bar character by character.  Are there any spaces?  Does the link end with dl=1
 
If the link doesn't end with that syntax, then you didn't copy the entire link to the clipboard. 
 
Gene
----- oribinal Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2017 1:39 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Weather Plus important update available

tried all that and still won't download.



On 10/03/2017 05:58, Adriano Barbieri via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi,
 
Work both of you!
In your case, try to paste the link in the the address bar of your browser.
 
Cheers
Adriano
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2017 8:03 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Weather Plus important update available

neither of those links are working.



On 10/03/2017 05:21, R�my Ruiz wrote:

Hi Dennis

The changes:

Version 4.3 09.03.2017
*�The Public folder links will become inactive on March 15.
On that date, the Public folder will become a standard Dropbox folder, and will not be useable by the addon.
The upgrade links of the addon and of the samples have been updated, therefore, from now on, WP will lean completely on the italian page of NVDA.
After this date, the previous versions of WP will not be able to auto-update, then I strongly advise you to upgrade before this deadline.
Download:
http://www.nvda.it/system/files/plugin/weather_plus4.3.nvda-addon?download=1
or:
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/weatherPlus.en.html
Cheers
Adriano


Le 09/03/2017 � 19:03, Dennis L a �crit�:

What are the changes in this version?

Sent from my Android phone using Aqua Mail

On March 9, 2017 12:58:21 PM "Adriano Barbieri via Groups.Io" <adrianobarb@...> wrote:

Hi To every one,
�
Version 4.3 09.03.2017
*�The Public folder links will become inactive on March 15.
On that date, the Public folder will become a standard Dropbox folder, and will not be useable by the addon.
The upgrade links of the addon and of the samples have been updated, therefore, from now on, WP will lean completely on the italian page of NVDA.
�
After this date, the previous versions of WP will not be able to auto-update, then I strongly advise you to upgrade before this deadline.
�
Download:
or:
�
Cheers
Adriano






Re: reading progress down loads in google chrome

Gene
 

There is often no best and greatest of whatever that is stated about.  The only way I am aware of to speed up Firefox is to do something like turn off JAVA Scripts or use a script blocker.  Turning off downloading of images may speed up things a little and it's a good idea because images are used at times to spread malware.  Are you aware of the consequences of blocking scripts or turning off scripts in the browser?  Unless you are, you shouldn't play with turning off or blocking scripts until you know more about the subject. 
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2017 2:19 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] reading progress down loads in google chrome

What changes did you make in firefox?



-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of nasrin khaksar
Sent: Thursday, March 9, 2017 4:41 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] reading progress down loads in google chrome

hello.
i set my firefox and changed many settings and options.
firefox is extremely fast because of the changed which i made in its settings and i dont use any browser other than firefox!
firefox is the best and greatest!

On 3/1/17, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@...> wrote:
> youtube is a lot better now its fully html5
>
>
>
> On 1/03/2017 12:02 p.m., Lenron wrote:
>> I have to agree for most things I just use firefox accept for youtube
>> and a few other things. Like audible
>>
>> On 2/28/17, brian <sackriderbrian45@...> wrote:
>>>          Why are we stuck with only one brouser that will read
>>> progress bars/?  It looks like nvda still has some work to do to
>>> make more brousers more accessable.  I don't like firefox because
>>> it's way to slow.  Webie will alwaysbe the bestbrouser for the
>>> blind.  Why is it so hard to make brousers that read the progress
>>> bars?  If we are going to change brousers then we need to have more
>>> accessable brousers that will do what we them to do.
>>>
>>> Brian Sackrider
>>>
>>>
>>> On 2/28/2017 5:36 PM, Gene wrote:
>>>> That's why I say that for many purposes other than browsing,
>>>> Firefox is a better choice.  I don't want almost everything
>>>> displayed as web pages from settings to history.  I don't know how
>>>> it is for sighted people, but for blind people, this is somewhat
>>>> cumbersome. Also, awhile back, Chrome stopped honoring quick
>>>> browsing commands in the settings interface which is a web page
>>>> interface.  Has this been corrected?  What this means is that you
>>>> can't, for example, make a change and then use the letter b to jump
>>>> to the done button.  You have to tab through all the rest of the settings.
>>>> It may be that for a lot of browsing, Chrome is faster or somewhat
>>>> faster.  I haven't compared, thogh I've seen a few people say it
>>>> is. But one reason I still use firefox as my main browser is to
>>>> avoid having so many interfaces be rendered as web pages.
>>>> Gene
>>>> ----- Original Message -----
>>>>
>>>> *From:* Greg Wocher <mailto:gwocher@...>
>>>> *Sent:* Tuesday, February 28, 2017 2:38 PM
>>>> *To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
>>>> *Subject:* Re: [nvda] reading progress down loads in google chrome
>>>>
>>>> Hello,
>>>> Once you have hit control plus J tab a time or two and you should
>>>> land on a heading that says today. This is the downloads you have
>>>> done today. The first one under this heading should be your current
>>>> download. If you arrow down a bit you will hear a line that has the
>>>> path where the download is going. This line will also have the
>>>> speed of your download. If you go down one more line you should
>>>> hear the percentage. It will be read as a normal number like 34. I
>>>> don’t think it says percent but this is the percent of your download.
>>>>
>>>> Regards,
>>>> Greg Wocher
>>>>> On Feb 28, 2017, at 1:21 PM, brian <sackriderbrian45@...
>>>> <mailto:sackriderbrian45@...>> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>    I did try thatbut I did not hear any progress percentages. in
>>>>> ie
>>>> 11 it does but not in chrome.
>>>>>
>>>>> Brian Sackrideer
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> On 2/28/2017 1:18 PM, Greg Wocher wrote:
>>>>>> Hello,
>>>>>> After starting the download you need to hit control plus J and
>>>>>> this
>>>> will take you to the downloads window. In this window you can see
>>>> the progress of your downloads.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Regards,
>>>>>> Greg Wocher
>>>>>>> On Feb 28, 2017, at 1:10 PM, brian <sackriderbrian45@...
>>>> <mailto:sackriderbrian45@...>> wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Does google chrome read progress in downloads if so how do you
>>>>>>> do
>>>> that.  I am using nvda 2017.1 and I just tried to down load all
>>>> things radio podcast but it did not say the percentages I tried
>>>> control j and I also tried save as but nothing.
>>>>>>> Brian Sackrider
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>


--
we have not sent you but as a mercy to the creation.
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
imam hosein is the beacon of light and the ark of salvation.
best website for studying islamic book in different languages al-islam.org







Re: Weather Plus important update available

Gene
 

You just said the links don't work.  Almost invariably, when someone says that, it's because of a wrapping problem.  When you report a problem with a link, please state what is happening.  Is nothing happening or exactly what.  If the link didn't work because of a wrapping problem, it's very likely that something would have loaded such as a Drop Box page saying that the page couldn't be found or something else would have very likely been displayed such as a file not found message.  If nothing happened at all, then that indicates that a different problem is probably occurring. 
 
There may be some problem but I don't know what.  the link I tested worked fine here.  Can you go to the drop box web site in your browser?  Perhaps there is a problem in your area which is keeping you from being able to contact the drop box site. 
 
But there is nothing wroing with the site's operation.
Gene
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2017 2:16 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Weather Plus important update available

no, it looks like there's some server lag somewhere because it's taking too long to load. and as I've been around computers since 1986 I'm well aware of what can cause something to not work. the links con't wrap here, so I had no problems using either method. and I know full well to remove leading spaces or extranius characters.



On 10/03/2017 06:42, Gene wrote:
While it's possible that there is some other problem, it's very unlikely.  It's very likely that either you didn't paste the entire link or there is a space in the link where the line raps which must be removed.  Review the link in the address bar character by character.  Are there any spaces?  Does the link end with dl=1
 
If the link doesn't end with that syntax, then you didn't copy the entire link to the clipboard. 
 
Gene
----- oribinal Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2017 1:39 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Weather Plus important update available

tried all that and still won't download.



On 10/03/2017 05:58, Adriano Barbieri via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi,
 
Work both of you!
In your case, try to paste the link in the the address bar of your browser.
 
Cheers
Adriano
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2017 8:03 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Weather Plus important update available

neither of those links are working.



On 10/03/2017 05:21, R�my Ruiz wrote:

Hi Dennis

The changes:

Version 4.3 09.03.2017
*�The Public folder links will become inactive on March 15.
On that date, the Public folder will become a standard Dropbox folder, and will not be useable by the addon.
The upgrade links of the addon and of the samples have been updated, therefore, from now on, WP will lean completely on the italian page of NVDA.
After this date, the previous versions of WP will not be able to auto-update, then I strongly advise you to upgrade before this deadline.
Download:
http://www.nvda.it/system/files/plugin/weather_plus4.3.nvda-addon?download=1
or:
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/weatherPlus.en.html
Cheers
Adriano


Le 09/03/2017 � 19:03, Dennis L a �crit�:

What are the changes in this version?

Sent from my Android phone using Aqua Mail

On March 9, 2017 12:58:21 PM "Adriano Barbieri via Groups.Io" <adrianobarb@...> wrote:

Hi To every one,
�
Version 4.3 09.03.2017
*�The Public folder links will become inactive on March 15.
On that date, the Public folder will become a standard Dropbox folder, and will not be useable by the addon.
The upgrade links of the addon and of the samples have been updated, therefore, from now on, WP will lean completely on the italian page of NVDA.
�
After this date, the previous versions of WP will not be able to auto-update, then I strongly advise you to upgrade before this deadline.
�
Download:
or:
�
Cheers
Adriano





Re: reading progress down loads in google chrome

Rosemarie Chavarria
 

What changes did you make in firefox?

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of nasrin khaksar
Sent: Thursday, March 9, 2017 4:41 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] reading progress down loads in google chrome

hello.
i set my firefox and changed many settings and options.
firefox is extremely fast because of the changed which i made in its settings and i dont use any browser other than firefox!
firefox is the best and greatest!

On 3/1/17, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@gmail.com> wrote:
youtube is a lot better now its fully html5



On 1/03/2017 12:02 p.m., Lenron wrote:
I have to agree for most things I just use firefox accept for youtube
and a few other things. Like audible

On 2/28/17, brian <sackriderbrian45@gmail.com> wrote:
Why are we stuck with only one brouser that will read
progress bars/? It looks like nvda still has some work to do to
make more brousers more accessable. I don't like firefox because
it's way to slow. Webie will alwaysbe the bestbrouser for the
blind. Why is it so hard to make brousers that read the progress
bars? If we are going to change brousers then we need to have more
accessable brousers that will do what we them to do.

Brian Sackrider


On 2/28/2017 5:36 PM, Gene wrote:
That's why I say that for many purposes other than browsing,
Firefox is a better choice. I don't want almost everything
displayed as web pages from settings to history. I don't know how
it is for sighted people, but for blind people, this is somewhat
cumbersome. Also, awhile back, Chrome stopped honoring quick
browsing commands in the settings interface which is a web page
interface. Has this been corrected? What this means is that you
can't, for example, make a change and then use the letter b to jump
to the done button. You have to tab through all the rest of the settings.
It may be that for a lot of browsing, Chrome is faster or somewhat
faster. I haven't compared, thogh I've seen a few people say it
is. But one reason I still use firefox as my main browser is to
avoid having so many interfaces be rendered as web pages.
Gene
----- Original Message -----

*From:* Greg Wocher <mailto:gwocher@gwocher.com>
*Sent:* Tuesday, February 28, 2017 2:38 PM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] reading progress down loads in google chrome

Hello,
Once you have hit control plus J tab a time or two and you should
land on a heading that says today. This is the downloads you have
done today. The first one under this heading should be your current
download. If you arrow down a bit you will hear a line that has the
path where the download is going. This line will also have the
speed of your download. If you go down one more line you should
hear the percentage. It will be read as a normal number like 34. I
don’t think it says percent but this is the percent of your download.

Regards,
Greg Wocher
On Feb 28, 2017, at 1:21 PM, brian <sackriderbrian45@gmail.com
<mailto:sackriderbrian45@gmail.com>> wrote:

I did try thatbut I did not hear any progress percentages. in
ie
11 it does but not in chrome.

Brian Sackrideer






On 2/28/2017 1:18 PM, Greg Wocher wrote:
Hello,
After starting the download you need to hit control plus J and
this
will take you to the downloads window. In this window you can see
the progress of your downloads.

Regards,
Greg Wocher
On Feb 28, 2017, at 1:10 PM, brian <sackriderbrian45@gmail.com
<mailto:sackriderbrian45@gmail.com>> wrote:

Does google chrome read progress in downloads if so how do you
do
that. I am using nvda 2017.1 and I just tried to down load all
things radio podcast but it did not say the percentages I tried
control j and I also tried save as but nothing.
Brian Sackrider














--
we have not sent you but as a mercy to the creation.
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
imam hosein is the beacon of light and the ark of salvation.
best website for studying islamic book in different languages al-islam.org


Re: Weather Plus important update available

Armando Maldonado
 

The easiest way I was able to grab this was using the Find more add-ons Within tools, manage add-ons. It took me directy to NVDA add-ons page and then I found Weather. Hope this helps.

Armando


On 3/9/2017 12:12 PM, Gene wrote:
While it's possible that there is some other problem, it's very unlikely.  It's very likely that either you didn't paste the entire link or there is a space in the link where the line raps which must be removed.  Review the link in the address bar character by character.  Are there any spaces?  Does the link end with dl=1
 
If the link doesn't end with that syntax, then you didn't copy the entire link to the clipboard. 
 
Gene
----- oribinal Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2017 1:39 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Weather Plus important update available

tried all that and still won't download.



On 10/03/2017 05:58, Adriano Barbieri via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi,
 
Work both of you!
In your case, try to paste the link in the the address bar of your browser.
 
Cheers
Adriano
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2017 8:03 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Weather Plus important update available

neither of those links are working.



On 10/03/2017 05:21, R�my Ruiz wrote:

Hi Dennis

The changes:

Version 4.3 09.03.2017
*�The Public folder links will become inactive on March 15.
On that date, the Public folder will become a standard Dropbox folder, and will not be useable by the addon.
The upgrade links of the addon and of the samples have been updated, therefore, from now on, WP will lean completely on the italian page of NVDA.
After this date, the previous versions of WP will not be able to auto-update, then I strongly advise you to upgrade before this deadline.
Download:
http://www.nvda.it/system/files/plugin/weather_plus4.3.nvda-addon?download=1
or:
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/weatherPlus.en.html
Cheers
Adriano


Le 09/03/2017 � 19:03, Dennis L a �crit�:

What are the changes in this version?

Sent from my Android phone using Aqua Mail

On March 9, 2017 12:58:21 PM "Adriano Barbieri via Groups.Io" <adrianobarb@...> wrote:

Hi To every one,
�
Version 4.3 09.03.2017
*�The Public folder links will become inactive on March 15.
On that date, the Public folder will become a standard Dropbox folder, and will not be useable by the addon.
The upgrade links of the addon and of the samples have been updated, therefore, from now on, WP will lean completely on the italian page of NVDA.
�
After this date, the previous versions of WP will not be able to auto-update, then I strongly advise you to upgrade before this deadline.
�
Download:
or:
�
Cheers
Adriano





Re: Weather Plus important update available

Shaun Oliver
 

no, it looks like there's some server lag somewhere because it's taking too long to load. and as I've been around computers since 1986 I'm well aware of what can cause something to not work. the links con't wrap here, so I had no problems using either method. and I know full well to remove leading spaces or extranius characters.



On 10/03/2017 06:42, Gene wrote:
While it's possible that there is some other problem, it's very unlikely.  It's very likely that either you didn't paste the entire link or there is a space in the link where the line raps which must be removed.  Review the link in the address bar character by character.  Are there any spaces?  Does the link end with dl=1
 
If the link doesn't end with that syntax, then you didn't copy the entire link to the clipboard. 
 
Gene
----- oribinal Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2017 1:39 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Weather Plus important update available

tried all that and still won't download.



On 10/03/2017 05:58, Adriano Barbieri via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi,
 
Work both of you!
In your case, try to paste the link in the the address bar of your browser.
 
Cheers
Adriano
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2017 8:03 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Weather Plus important update available

neither of those links are working.



On 10/03/2017 05:21, R�my Ruiz wrote:

Hi Dennis

The changes:

Version 4.3 09.03.2017
*�The Public folder links will become inactive on March 15.
On that date, the Public folder will become a standard Dropbox folder, and will not be useable by the addon.
The upgrade links of the addon and of the samples have been updated, therefore, from now on, WP will lean completely on the italian page of NVDA.
After this date, the previous versions of WP will not be able to auto-update, then I strongly advise you to upgrade before this deadline.
Download:
http://www.nvda.it/system/files/plugin/weather_plus4.3.nvda-addon?download=1
or:
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/weatherPlus.en.html
Cheers
Adriano


Le 09/03/2017 � 19:03, Dennis L a �crit�:

What are the changes in this version?

Sent from my Android phone using Aqua Mail

On March 9, 2017 12:58:21 PM "Adriano Barbieri via Groups.Io" <adrianobarb@...> wrote:

Hi To every one,
�
Version 4.3 09.03.2017
*�The Public folder links will become inactive on March 15.
On that date, the Public folder will become a standard Dropbox folder, and will not be useable by the addon.
The upgrade links of the addon and of the samples have been updated, therefore, from now on, WP will lean completely on the italian page of NVDA.
�
After this date, the previous versions of WP will not be able to auto-update, then I strongly advise you to upgrade before this deadline.
�
Download:
or:
�
Cheers
Adriano





Re: Weather Plus important update available

Gene
 

While it's possible that there is some other problem, it's very unlikely.  It's very likely that either you didn't paste the entire link or there is a space in the link where the line raps which must be removed.  Review the link in the address bar character by character.  Are there any spaces?  Does the link end with dl=1
 
If the link doesn't end with that syntax, then you didn't copy the entire link to the clipboard. 
 
Gene
----- oribinal Message -----

Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2017 1:39 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Weather Plus important update available

tried all that and still won't download.



On 10/03/2017 05:58, Adriano Barbieri via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi,
 
Work both of you!
In your case, try to paste the link in the the address bar of your browser.
 
Cheers
Adriano
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2017 8:03 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Weather Plus important update available

neither of those links are working.



On 10/03/2017 05:21, R�my Ruiz wrote:

Hi Dennis

The changes:

Version 4.3 09.03.2017
*�The Public folder links will become inactive on March 15.
On that date, the Public folder will become a standard Dropbox folder, and will not be useable by the addon.
The upgrade links of the addon and of the samples have been updated, therefore, from now on, WP will lean completely on the italian page of NVDA.
After this date, the previous versions of WP will not be able to auto-update, then I strongly advise you to upgrade before this deadline.
Download:
http://www.nvda.it/system/files/plugin/weather_plus4.3.nvda-addon?download=1
or:
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/weatherPlus.en.html
Cheers
Adriano


Le 09/03/2017 � 19:03, Dennis L a �crit�:

What are the changes in this version?

Sent from my Android phone using Aqua Mail

On March 9, 2017 12:58:21 PM "Adriano Barbieri via Groups.Io" <adrianobarb@...> wrote:

Hi To every one,
�
Version 4.3 09.03.2017
*�The Public folder links will become inactive on March 15.
On that date, the Public folder will become a standard Dropbox folder, and will not be useable by the addon.
The upgrade links of the addon and of the samples have been updated, therefore, from now on, WP will lean completely on the italian page of NVDA.
�
After this date, the previous versions of WP will not be able to auto-update, then I strongly advise you to upgrade before this deadline.
�
Download:
or:
�
Cheers
Adriano




Re: Weather Plus important update available

Shaun Oliver
 

tried all that and still won't download.



On 10/03/2017 05:58, Adriano Barbieri via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi,
 
Work both of you!
In your case, try to paste the link in the the address bar of your browser.
 
Cheers
Adriano
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2017 8:03 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Weather Plus important update available

neither of those links are working.



On 10/03/2017 05:21, R�my Ruiz wrote:

Hi Dennis

The changes:

Version 4.3 09.03.2017
*�The Public folder links will become inactive on March 15.
On that date, the Public folder will become a standard Dropbox folder, and will not be useable by the addon.
The upgrade links of the addon and of the samples have been updated, therefore, from now on, WP will lean completely on the italian page of NVDA.
After this date, the previous versions of WP will not be able to auto-update, then I strongly advise you to upgrade before this deadline.
Download:
http://www.nvda.it/system/files/plugin/weather_plus4.3.nvda-addon?download=1
or:
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/weatherPlus.en.html
Cheers
Adriano


Le 09/03/2017 � 19:03, Dennis L a �crit�:

What are the changes in this version?

Sent from my Android phone using Aqua Mail

On March 9, 2017 12:58:21 PM "Adriano Barbieri via Groups.Io" <adrianobarb@...> wrote:

Hi To every one,
�
Version 4.3 09.03.2017
*�The Public folder links will become inactive on March 15.
On that date, the Public folder will become a standard Dropbox folder, and will not be useable by the addon.
The upgrade links of the addon and of the samples have been updated, therefore, from now on, WP will lean completely on the italian page of NVDA.
�
After this date, the previous versions of WP will not be able to auto-update, then I strongly advise you to upgrade before this deadline.
�
Download:
or:
�
Cheers
Adriano




Re: Weather Plus important update available

Adriano Barbieri
 

Hi,
 
Work both of you!
In your case, try to paste the link in the the address bar of your browser.
 
Cheers
Adriano

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2017 8:03 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Weather Plus important update available

neither of those links are working.



On 10/03/2017 05:21, R�my Ruiz wrote:

Hi Dennis

The changes:

Version 4.3 09.03.2017
*�The Public folder links will become inactive on March 15.
On that date, the Public folder will become a standard Dropbox folder, and will not be useable by the addon.
The upgrade links of the addon and of the samples have been updated, therefore, from now on, WP will lean completely on the italian page of NVDA.
After this date, the previous versions of WP will not be able to auto-update, then I strongly advise you to upgrade before this deadline.
Download:
http://www.nvda.it/system/files/plugin/weather_plus4.3.nvda-addon?download=1
or:
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/weatherPlus.en.html
Cheers
Adriano


Le 09/03/2017 � 19:03, Dennis L a �crit�:

What are the changes in this version?

Sent from my Android phone using Aqua Mail

On March 9, 2017 12:58:21 PM "Adriano Barbieri via Groups.Io" <adrianobarb@...> wrote:

Hi To every one,
�
Version 4.3 09.03.2017
*�The Public folder links will become inactive on March 15.
On that date, the Public folder will become a standard Dropbox folder, and will not be useable by the addon.
The upgrade links of the addon and of the samples have been updated, therefore, from now on, WP will lean completely on the italian page of NVDA.
�
After this date, the previous versions of WP will not be able to auto-update, then I strongly advise you to upgrade before this deadline.
�
Download:
or:
�
Cheers
Adriano



Re: Weather Plus important update available

Gene
 

I checked one link and it works.  I assume the other link works, too.  The links may wrap to the next line.  Copy the entire link to the clipboard.  paste it into the address field of your browser and follow the link.  This is important to know.  If you don't know this, you will have trouble with many links in e-mail messages that work properly.
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2017 1:03 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Weather Plus important update available

neither of those links are working.



On 10/03/2017 05:21, Rémy Ruiz wrote:

Hi Dennis

The changes:

Version 4.3 09.03.2017
* The Public folder links will become inactive on March 15.
On that date, the Public folder will become a standard Dropbox folder, and will not be useable by the addon.
The upgrade links of the addon and of the samples have been updated, therefore, from now on, WP will lean completely on the italian page of NVDA.
After this date, the previous versions of WP will not be able to auto-update, then I strongly advise you to upgrade before this deadline.
Download:
http://www.nvda.it/system/files/plugin/weather_plus4.3.nvda-addon?download=1
or:
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/weatherPlus.en.html
Cheers
Adriano


Le 09/03/2017 à 19:03, Dennis L a écrit :

What are the changes in this version?

Sent from my Android phone using Aqua Mail

On March 9, 2017 12:58:21 PM "Adriano Barbieri via Groups.Io" <adrianobarb@...> wrote:

Hi To every one,
 
Version 4.3 09.03.2017
* The Public folder links will become inactive on March 15.
On that date, the Public folder will become a standard Dropbox folder, and will not be useable by the addon.
The upgrade links of the addon and of the samples have been updated, therefore, from now on, WP will lean completely on the italian page of NVDA.
 
After this date, the previous versions of WP will not be able to auto-update, then I strongly advise you to upgrade before this deadline.
 
Download:
or:
 
Cheers
Adriano



Re: Weather Plus important update available

Shaun Oliver
 

neither of those links are working.



On 10/03/2017 05:21, Rémy Ruiz wrote:

Hi Dennis

The changes:

Version 4.3 09.03.2017
* The Public folder links will become inactive on March 15.
On that date, the Public folder will become a standard Dropbox folder, and will not be useable by the addon.
The upgrade links of the addon and of the samples have been updated, therefore, from now on, WP will lean completely on the italian page of NVDA.
After this date, the previous versions of WP will not be able to auto-update, then I strongly advise you to upgrade before this deadline.
Download:
http://www.nvda.it/system/files/plugin/weather_plus4.3.nvda-addon?download=1
or:
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/weatherPlus.en.html
Cheers
Adriano


Le 09/03/2017 à 19:03, Dennis L a écrit :

What are the changes in this version?

Sent from my Android phone using Aqua Mail

On March 9, 2017 12:58:21 PM "Adriano Barbieri via Groups.Io" <adrianobarb@...> wrote:

Hi To every one,
 
Version 4.3 09.03.2017
* The Public folder links will become inactive on March 15.
On that date, the Public folder will become a standard Dropbox folder, and will not be useable by the addon.
The upgrade links of the addon and of the samples have been updated, therefore, from now on, WP will lean completely on the italian page of NVDA.
 
After this date, the previous versions of WP will not be able to auto-update, then I strongly advise you to upgrade before this deadline.
 
Download:
or:
 
Cheers
Adriano



Re: Weather Plus important update available

Rémy Ruiz
 

Hi Dennis

The changes:

Version 4.3 09.03.2017
* The Public folder links will become inactive on March 15.
On that date, the Public folder will become a standard Dropbox folder, and will not be useable by the addon.
The upgrade links of the addon and of the samples have been updated, therefore, from now on, WP will lean completely on the italian page of NVDA.
After this date, the previous versions of WP will not be able to auto-update, then I strongly advise you to upgrade before this deadline.
Download:
http://www.nvda.it/system/files/plugin/weather_plus4.3.nvda-addon?download=1
or:
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/weatherPlus.en.html
Cheers
Adriano


Le 09/03/2017 à 19:03, Dennis L a écrit :

What are the changes in this version?

Sent from my Android phone using Aqua Mail

On March 9, 2017 12:58:21 PM "Adriano Barbieri via Groups.Io" <adrianobarb@...> wrote:

Hi To every one,
 
Version 4.3 09.03.2017
* The Public folder links will become inactive on March 15.
On that date, the Public folder will become a standard Dropbox folder, and will not be useable by the addon.
The upgrade links of the addon and of the samples have been updated, therefore, from now on, WP will lean completely on the italian page of NVDA.
 
After this date, the previous versions of WP will not be able to auto-update, then I strongly advise you to upgrade before this deadline.
 
Download:
or:
 
Cheers
Adriano


Re: Weather Plus important update available

Dennis L
 

What are the changes in this version?

Sent from my Android phone using Aqua Mail

On March 9, 2017 12:58:21 PM "Adriano Barbieri via Groups.Io" <adrianobarb@...> wrote:

Hi To every one,
 
Version 4.3 09.03.2017
* The Public folder links will become inactive on March 15.
On that date, the Public folder will become a standard Dropbox folder, and will not be useable by the addon.
The upgrade links of the addon and of the samples have been updated, therefore, from now on, WP will lean completely on the italian page of NVDA.
 
After this date, the previous versions of WP will not be able to auto-update, then I strongly advise you to upgrade before this deadline.
 
Download:
or:
 
Cheers
Adriano


Weather Plus important update available

Adriano Barbieri
 

Hi To every one,
 
Version 4.3 09.03.2017
* The Public folder links will become inactive on March 15.
On that date, the Public folder will become a standard Dropbox folder, and will not be useable by the addon.
The upgrade links of the addon and of the samples have been updated, therefore, from now on, WP will lean completely on the italian page of NVDA.
 
After this date, the previous versions of WP will not be able to auto-update, then I strongly advise you to upgrade before this deadline.
 
Download:
or:
 
Cheers
Adriano


NVDA and QuickBooks

Angelo Sonnesso
 

Well I was pleasantly surprised when I installed QuickBooks on a computer
for my Executive Director.
Not only does NVDA make QuickBooks accessible, but it automatically changes
the settings of QuickBooks to work best with NVDA.
Very nice.



73 N2DYN Angelo


Admin's Note: [nvda] Can I still get it for free

Nimer Jaber
 

Hello,

 

Please close this thread at this time.

 

Thanks.

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Travis Siegel
Sent: Thursday, March 9, 2017 09:35
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I still get it for free

 

You realize that the only benefit 64-bit software offers at this time is

the ability to move larger blocks of memory all at once. With programs

like video editing, and graphic creation, this is a huge benefit, since

the data is so large.  But, in normal everyday usage, 64-bit software

offers little to no benefit over 32-bit software.

 

It has a lot to do with the 64-bit implementation and the compiler used

to do the compiling.  A 64-bit processor can move larger blocks of

memory, has more registers for storing data, and can process more

instructions in a single clock cycle.  This will make your software run

faster if it's coded properly,, but often times, when transitioning from

32 to 64-bit versions of a software, absolutely nothing is done to

optimize the software for 64-bit operation.  Sure, the compiler does

it's best to make this happen, but that's no substitute for someone who

knows what they're doing, and optimizes the code themselves to take

advantage of 64-bit addressing.  Most of the time, there is nobody who

knows how to do this, and so the benefits of 64-bit computing fall by

the wayside, and you're simply stuck with a 64-bit version of a 32-bit

program that does nothing to take advantage of the 64-bit addressing. 

Sure, it will run (slightly) faster, but without taking into account

during the coding process (addressing boundaries, memory locations, data

types, and so on) you won't truly see the benefit of 64-bit software for

many years.  The same thing happened when switching from 16 to 32-bit

software.  I can't tell you how many times I've seen (even relatively

modern) software that still uses integers (16-bit values) to hold their

data, when a long (32-bit variable) is way more efficient on 32-bit

processors.  Often times, just changing variable types, and recompiling

software provides a modest speed increase, but this is only a single

instance of what needs to happen to make a truly 64-bit world.  Face it,

it doesn't matter how soon operating systems and other third-party

utilities switch to 64-bit software, you're still not going to see the

promised speed increases because developers just aren't in the 64-bit

mindset yet, and that's going to take time to fix.

 

It makes me laugh when folks say they want 64-bit, and they want it now,

but if you were to ask them what they're expecting 64-bit improvements

to give them,  they have no idea how to answer the question.  Don't beg

for something just because it's new and shiny, that's a recipe for

disaster.  Let things transition on their own, and you'll get your

64-bit software, and it will be neat and clean and fast.  Forcing the

transition will do nothing but lead to sloppy code, and horrible

implementations that reap no advantage from the 64-bit environment.

 

 

On 3/9/2017 10:02 AM, Lenron wrote:

> Also I can't wait until most things have switched to 64 bit.

> On 3/9/17, lenron brown <lenron93@...> wrote:

>> win 10 works great. Does anyone have that accessible link for those

>> that still need to upgrade from 7?

>> 

>> On 3/9/17, Angelo Sonnesso <asonnesso@...> wrote:

>>> You certainly did.

>>> Most of the driver issues in Windows 10 have been resolved, remember I

>>> said

>>> most.

>>> 

>>> 

>>> 73 N2DYN Angelo

>>> 

>>> -----Original Message-----

>>> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of

>>> Brian's

>>> Mail list account

>>> Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2017 4:42 AM

>>> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

>>> Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I still get it for free

>>> 

>>> Who suggested Linux? I may have missed an episode here.

>>>   I know Sakina aand I doubt she would be interested in Linux. Even I

>>> would

>>> not go down that road as its anarchy access wise.

>>>   Apparently I've been told that the special VI offer is still obtainable

>>> for

>>> free, but my original comments about drivers for laptops still stands.

>>>   Brian

>>> 

>>> bglists@...

>>> Sent via blueyonder.

>>> Please address personal email to:-

>>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

>>> in the display name field.

>>> ----- Original Message -----

>>> From: "Angelo Sonnesso" <asonnesso@...>

>>> To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>

>>> Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 4:40 PM

>>> Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I still get it for free

>>> 

>>> 

>>> You can certainly run Linux with a Windows like interface.

>>> 

>>> There are some differences, but they are not bad.

>>> 

>>> You do have the command line is you want to get geeky, but you don’t have

>>> to

>>> 

>>> these days.

>>> 

>>> I personally like Vinux, designed for the Blind.

>>> 

>>> I must confess I am usually running Debian, or Ubuntu Linux.

>>> 

>>> Maybe you can give it a try in a virtual computer, and see what you

>>> think.

>>> 

>>> I ran a CP/m machine for years, and you talk about a learning curve, but

>>> you

>>> 

>>> make do with what is available.

>>> 

>>> Having said all of that, once you get Windows 10 setup it is much more

>>> secure than ever.

>>> 

>>> It does get the job done.

>>> 

>>> 

>>> 

>>> 73 N2DYN Angelo

>>> 

>>> 

>>> 

>>> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of David

>>> F.

>>> Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 10:52 AM

>>> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

>>> Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I still get it for free

>>> 

>>> 

>>> 

>>> This is why I wish I had the brains to learn Linux

>>> 

>>> 

>>> 

>>> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of erik

>>> burggraaf

>>> Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 9:04 AM

>>> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

>>> Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I still get it for free

>>> 

>>> 

>>> 

>>> Gene,  Here is my reasonable take on this based on my more than 15 years

>>> of

>>> 

>>> in depth experience not only of windows, but also other major operating

>>> systems.

>>> 

>>> First, windows is a terrible product in any itteration.  There isn't a

>>> single thing windows does better than other operating systems except for

>>> arketecture support.  It's the most expensive operating system to

>>> implement

>>> 

>>> if you remove hardware from the equation.  Windows supports cheeper

>>> hardware

>>> 

>>> than the competition but that doesn't negate the fact that windows itself

>>> is

>>> 

>>> the highest priced operating system on the market.  Windows is also more

>>> expensive to maintain.  In fact, an upgrade from windows seven to windows

>>> 10

>>> 

>>> takes about two hours time.  If you have to fully patch windows seven sp1

>>> it

>>> 

>>> takes between 3 and 6 hours depending on connection speed.  If you're

>>> paying

>>> 

>>> by the hour, which would you choose?

>>> 

>>> Windows is the least secure of all the major OS, further compounding the

>>> astronomical maintanence cost and driving down productivity.  I have not

>>> yet

>>> 

>>> had to hack windows 10, but I have windows seven.  In windows seven it is

>>> common place for programs to allow themselves transparently through built

>>> in

>>> 

>>> firewalling.  It is also common place for programs to run as

>>> administrator

>>> without requiring the administrator account to be enabled or requiring an

>>> administrator password.  It is possible for programs to sircomvent the

>>> notification system that works on the front line, and it's even possible

>>> and

>>> 

>>> considered advisable by many people to turn the security notifications

>>> off

>>> altogether.  In fact, it is possible when sitting at the keyboard of a

>>> windows seven workstation to gain administrator access without logging in

>>> at

>>> 

>>> all, to add, remove, or rename windows system files, to take command line

>>> control of a workstation, and to perform any command line function

>>> including

>>> 

>>> enabling or disabling the administrator account and changing account

>>> credentials, all without logging in.  Litterally any improvement would be

>>> better than the attrocity that is windows seven security.

>>> 

>>> Microsoft interface design is terrible.  Ribbons and tiles are only two

>>> examples of design choices meant to set windows apart from competetors

>>> but

>>> had the effect of alienating users.  Windows 10 does the smart thing and

>>> returns the windows interface to a more desktop feel.

>>> 

>>> Windows only gets a refresh every three years or so.  That means a lot

>>> happens in the computer world between releases.  Because the releases are

>>> alternately pretty decent over all come terrible to the point of

>>> uselessness, windows appeals to pundets who don't like change and want to

>>> hault progress.  Fine, but windows seven is coming up on 8 years old and

>>> we

>>> 

>>> are still talking about support for windows xp being discontinued.

>>> Nowhere

>>> 

>>> else in the world of operating systems are we talking about support for 8

>>> year old software, and 17 year old software isn't even available for

>>> download on pirate sites.  Computers that shipped with windows 7 at the

>>> time

>>> 

>>> of the release of windows 8 are now end of lifed, and yet, I was still

>>> able

>>> 

>>> to buy and install a windows seven a month ago.  The cost to developers

>>> of

>>> supporting four operating systems spanning 11 years: ten, eight, seven

>>> and

>>> vista, is astronomical, and you lucky end-user, get to pay the bill.  The

>>> cost of windows software over all is significantly higher than on any

>>> other

>>> 

>>> operating system, and part of the reason is that windows users live in

>>> the

>>> past more than any other userbase.

>>> 

>>> Windows ten continues to be a free upgrade for current users of seven and

>>> eight, long after it was supposed to switch to a completely paid product.

>>> The minimum and recommended hardware configurations are similar to those

>>> of

>>> 

>>> windows seven.  Upgrading usually brings better plug and play hardware

>>> support and other items under the hood that users would miss if they were

>>> gone.

>>> 

>>> There are features I like in windows ten such as it's minimalist email

>>> app

>>> and it's improved tts voices.  Then there are things I'm not too pleased

>>> with such as the loss of control over windows update and the increased

>>> relience on ribbons.  True, we don't really have enough information about

>>> this particular case to make a recommendation one way or the other, but

>>> in

>>> general, it is more than time to leave windows seven behind unlesss you

>>> have

>>> 

>>> some substantial reason not to, such as loss of support for a crutial

>>> piece

>>> 

>>> of hardware.

>>> 

>>> All upgrades on all systems require a bit of retraining for new features

>>> or

>>> 

>>> fernature that moves, but that is part and parcel of computing.  Windows

>>> ten

>>> 

>>> is market tested, reliable and functional at this point.  Staying with

>>> windows seven just because is fine for now if that's your personal

>>> choice,

>>> but if you're supporting or recommending on a pro or semipro basis, the

>>> recommendation has to be to upgrade at this point unless circomstances

>>> dictate otherwise.

>>> 

>>> Best,

>>> 

>>> Erik

>>> 

>>> Sent with AquaMail for Android

>>> http://www.aqua-mail.com

>>> 

>>> On March 8, 2017 8:39:42 AM "Gene" <gsasner@...> wrote:

>>> 

>>> You have made a statement and not given any reasons supporting it.  That

>>> doesn't tell us anything except that you believe something.  People may

>>> have

>>> 

>>> reasons to upgrade from Windows 7 and Microsoft has recently claimed that

>>> for security reasons, you should upgrade because Windows 7 is not secure

>>> enough anymore because it isn't a new enough operating system to

>>> incorporate

>>> 

>>> newer security features.  I haven't seen any independent discussion

>>> concerning this.  But there are always problems that may occur when

>>> updating

>>> 

>>> and in this case, the point was stated that this is an old computer.  You

>>> don't just upgrade.  While many upgrades from Windows 7 go well, you

>>> can't

>>> assume they will.  I don't think it’s a good idea to urge upgrading as a

>>> general practice.  Why is an upgrade being considered?  What features, if

>>> any, will be used or are desired by upgrading?  Has the computer been

>>> tested

>>> 

>>> for compatibility of the upgrade?

>>> 

>>> 

>>> 

>>> Gene

>>> 

>>> ----- Original Message -----

>>> 

>>> From: enes sarıbaş <mailto:enes.saribas@...>

>>> 

>>> Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 7:21 AM

>>> 

>>> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

>>> 

>>> Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I still get it for free

>>> 

>>> 

>>> 

>>> that is an extremely bad suggesstion. If you don't have a very good

>>> reason

>>> to not update, it is generally a good idea to update.

>>> 

>>> 

>>> 

>>> On 3/8/2017 4:04 PM, Gene wrote:

>>> 

>>> Is there a specific reason you want to use Windows 10?  You can upgrade

>>> for

>>> 

>>> free but I don't know the procedure.  others, I expect, will advise you.

>>> You say it's an old laptop.  There is a Microsoft site you can use to

>>> have

>>> your computer evaluated to see if it is able to be upgraded.  But unless

>>> there is a specific feature you want, I would advise leaving well enough

>>> alone.

>>> 

>>> 

>>> 

>>> Gene

>>> 

>>> ----- Original Message -----

>>> 

>>> From: Sakina <mailto:sakina.gable@...>

>>> 

>>> Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 6:53 AM

>>> 

>>> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

>>> 

>>> Subject: [nvda] Can I still get it for free

>>> 

>>> 

>>> 

>>> Hello gene and Friends,

>>> 

>>> 

>>> 

>>> I have got this passed down old laptop from a friend that has got window

>>> 7

>>> 

>>> Please forgive me for my terminology below

>>> 

>>> I wish to update or is called upgrade to window 10

>>> 

>>> Is it possible and can I still get the window 10 for free?

>>> 

>>> If yes, than please how do I go about.

>>> 

>>> I will be and always am grateful for your help and guidance.

>>> 

>>> Thanking you all again.

>>> 

>>> With best wishes

>>> 

>>> Sakina

>>> 

>>> 

>>> 

>>> 

>>> <https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>Image

>>> removed by

>>> sender.Virus-free.<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>

>>> www.avast.com

>>> 

>>> 

>>> 

>>> 

>>> 

>>> 

>>> 

>>> 

>> 

>> --

>> Lenron Brown

>> Cell: 985-271-2832

>> Skype: ron.brown762

>> 

 

 

 

 

 


Re: Can I still get it for free

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>
 

You realize that the only benefit 64-bit software offers at this time is the ability to move larger blocks of memory all at once. With programs like video editing, and graphic creation, this is a huge benefit, since the data is so large. But, in normal everyday usage, 64-bit software offers little to no benefit over 32-bit software.

It has a lot to do with the 64-bit implementation and the compiler used to do the compiling. A 64-bit processor can move larger blocks of memory, has more registers for storing data, and can process more instructions in a single clock cycle. This will make your software run faster if it's coded properly,, but often times, when transitioning from 32 to 64-bit versions of a software, absolutely nothing is done to optimize the software for 64-bit operation. Sure, the compiler does it's best to make this happen, but that's no substitute for someone who knows what they're doing, and optimizes the code themselves to take advantage of 64-bit addressing. Most of the time, there is nobody who knows how to do this, and so the benefits of 64-bit computing fall by the wayside, and you're simply stuck with a 64-bit version of a 32-bit program that does nothing to take advantage of the 64-bit addressing. Sure, it will run (slightly) faster, but without taking into account during the coding process (addressing boundaries, memory locations, data types, and so on) you won't truly see the benefit of 64-bit software for many years. The same thing happened when switching from 16 to 32-bit software. I can't tell you how many times I've seen (even relatively modern) software that still uses integers (16-bit values) to hold their data, when a long (32-bit variable) is way more efficient on 32-bit processors. Often times, just changing variable types, and recompiling software provides a modest speed increase, but this is only a single instance of what needs to happen to make a truly 64-bit world. Face it, it doesn't matter how soon operating systems and other third-party utilities switch to 64-bit software, you're still not going to see the promised speed increases because developers just aren't in the 64-bit mindset yet, and that's going to take time to fix.

It makes me laugh when folks say they want 64-bit, and they want it now, but if you were to ask them what they're expecting 64-bit improvements to give them, they have no idea how to answer the question. Don't beg for something just because it's new and shiny, that's a recipe for disaster. Let things transition on their own, and you'll get your 64-bit software, and it will be neat and clean and fast. Forcing the transition will do nothing but lead to sloppy code, and horrible implementations that reap no advantage from the 64-bit environment.

On 3/9/2017 10:02 AM, Lenron wrote:
Also I can't wait until most things have switched to 64 bit.

On 3/9/17, lenron brown <lenron93@gmail.com> wrote:
win 10 works great. Does anyone have that accessible link for those
that still need to upgrade from 7?

On 3/9/17, Angelo Sonnesso <asonnesso@gmail.com> wrote:
You certainly did.
Most of the driver issues in Windows 10 have been resolved, remember I
said
most.


73 N2DYN Angelo

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Brian's
Mail list account
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2017 4:42 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I still get it for free

Who suggested Linux? I may have missed an episode here.
I know Sakina aand I doubt she would be interested in Linux. Even I
would
not go down that road as its anarchy access wise.
Apparently I've been told that the special VI offer is still obtainable
for
free, but my original comments about drivers for laptops still stands.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Angelo Sonnesso" <asonnesso@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 4:40 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I still get it for free


You can certainly run Linux with a Windows like interface.

There are some differences, but they are not bad.

You do have the command line is you want to get geeky, but you don’t have
to

these days.

I personally like Vinux, designed for the Blind.

I must confess I am usually running Debian, or Ubuntu Linux.

Maybe you can give it a try in a virtual computer, and see what you
think.

I ran a CP/m machine for years, and you talk about a learning curve, but
you

make do with what is available.

Having said all of that, once you get Windows 10 setup it is much more
secure than ever.

It does get the job done.



73 N2DYN Angelo



From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of David
F.
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 10:52 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I still get it for free



This is why I wish I had the brains to learn Linux



From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of erik
burggraaf
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 9:04 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I still get it for free



Gene, Here is my reasonable take on this based on my more than 15 years
of

in depth experience not only of windows, but also other major operating
systems.

First, windows is a terrible product in any itteration. There isn't a
single thing windows does better than other operating systems except for
arketecture support. It's the most expensive operating system to
implement

if you remove hardware from the equation. Windows supports cheeper
hardware

than the competition but that doesn't negate the fact that windows itself
is

the highest priced operating system on the market. Windows is also more
expensive to maintain. In fact, an upgrade from windows seven to windows
10

takes about two hours time. If you have to fully patch windows seven sp1
it

takes between 3 and 6 hours depending on connection speed. If you're
paying

by the hour, which would you choose?

Windows is the least secure of all the major OS, further compounding the
astronomical maintanence cost and driving down productivity. I have not
yet

had to hack windows 10, but I have windows seven. In windows seven it is
common place for programs to allow themselves transparently through built
in

firewalling. It is also common place for programs to run as
administrator
without requiring the administrator account to be enabled or requiring an
administrator password. It is possible for programs to sircomvent the
notification system that works on the front line, and it's even possible
and

considered advisable by many people to turn the security notifications
off
altogether. In fact, it is possible when sitting at the keyboard of a
windows seven workstation to gain administrator access without logging in
at

all, to add, remove, or rename windows system files, to take command line
control of a workstation, and to perform any command line function
including

enabling or disabling the administrator account and changing account
credentials, all without logging in. Litterally any improvement would be
better than the attrocity that is windows seven security.

Microsoft interface design is terrible. Ribbons and tiles are only two
examples of design choices meant to set windows apart from competetors
but
had the effect of alienating users. Windows 10 does the smart thing and
returns the windows interface to a more desktop feel.

Windows only gets a refresh every three years or so. That means a lot
happens in the computer world between releases. Because the releases are
alternately pretty decent over all come terrible to the point of
uselessness, windows appeals to pundets who don't like change and want to
hault progress. Fine, but windows seven is coming up on 8 years old and
we

are still talking about support for windows xp being discontinued.
Nowhere

else in the world of operating systems are we talking about support for 8
year old software, and 17 year old software isn't even available for
download on pirate sites. Computers that shipped with windows 7 at the
time

of the release of windows 8 are now end of lifed, and yet, I was still
able

to buy and install a windows seven a month ago. The cost to developers
of
supporting four operating systems spanning 11 years: ten, eight, seven
and
vista, is astronomical, and you lucky end-user, get to pay the bill. The
cost of windows software over all is significantly higher than on any
other

operating system, and part of the reason is that windows users live in
the
past more than any other userbase.

Windows ten continues to be a free upgrade for current users of seven and
eight, long after it was supposed to switch to a completely paid product.
The minimum and recommended hardware configurations are similar to those
of

windows seven. Upgrading usually brings better plug and play hardware
support and other items under the hood that users would miss if they were
gone.

There are features I like in windows ten such as it's minimalist email
app
and it's improved tts voices. Then there are things I'm not too pleased
with such as the loss of control over windows update and the increased
relience on ribbons. True, we don't really have enough information about
this particular case to make a recommendation one way or the other, but
in
general, it is more than time to leave windows seven behind unlesss you
have

some substantial reason not to, such as loss of support for a crutial
piece

of hardware.

All upgrades on all systems require a bit of retraining for new features
or

fernature that moves, but that is part and parcel of computing. Windows
ten

is market tested, reliable and functional at this point. Staying with
windows seven just because is fine for now if that's your personal
choice,
but if you're supporting or recommending on a pro or semipro basis, the
recommendation has to be to upgrade at this point unless circomstances
dictate otherwise.

Best,

Erik

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

On March 8, 2017 8:39:42 AM "Gene" <gsasner@ripco.com> wrote:

You have made a statement and not given any reasons supporting it. That
doesn't tell us anything except that you believe something. People may
have

reasons to upgrade from Windows 7 and Microsoft has recently claimed that
for security reasons, you should upgrade because Windows 7 is not secure
enough anymore because it isn't a new enough operating system to
incorporate

newer security features. I haven't seen any independent discussion
concerning this. But there are always problems that may occur when
updating

and in this case, the point was stated that this is an old computer. You
don't just upgrade. While many upgrades from Windows 7 go well, you
can't
assume they will. I don't think it’s a good idea to urge upgrading as a
general practice. Why is an upgrade being considered? What features, if
any, will be used or are desired by upgrading? Has the computer been
tested

for compatibility of the upgrade?



Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: enes sarıbaş <mailto:enes.saribas@gmail.com>

Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 7:21 AM

To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I still get it for free



that is an extremely bad suggesstion. If you don't have a very good
reason
to not update, it is generally a good idea to update.



On 3/8/2017 4:04 PM, Gene wrote:

Is there a specific reason you want to use Windows 10? You can upgrade
for

free but I don't know the procedure. others, I expect, will advise you.
You say it's an old laptop. There is a Microsoft site you can use to
have
your computer evaluated to see if it is able to be upgraded. But unless
there is a specific feature you want, I would advise leaving well enough
alone.



Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Sakina <mailto:sakina.gable@gmail.com>

Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 6:53 AM

To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Subject: [nvda] Can I still get it for free



Hello gene and Friends,



I have got this passed down old laptop from a friend that has got window
7

Please forgive me for my terminology below

I wish to update or is called upgrade to window 10

Is it possible and can I still get the window 10 for free?

If yes, than please how do I go about.

I will be and always am grateful for your help and guidance.

Thanking you all again.

With best wishes

Sakina




<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&;utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>Image
removed by
sender.Virus-free.<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&;utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>
www.avast.com







--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832
Skype: ron.brown762


Re: Can I still get it for free

Lenron
 

Also I can't wait until most things have switched to 64 bit.

On 3/9/17, lenron brown <lenron93@gmail.com> wrote:
win 10 works great. Does anyone have that accessible link for those
that still need to upgrade from 7?

On 3/9/17, Angelo Sonnesso <asonnesso@gmail.com> wrote:
You certainly did.
Most of the driver issues in Windows 10 have been resolved, remember I
said
most.


73 N2DYN Angelo

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Brian's
Mail list account
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2017 4:42 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I still get it for free

Who suggested Linux? I may have missed an episode here.
I know Sakina aand I doubt she would be interested in Linux. Even I
would
not go down that road as its anarchy access wise.
Apparently I've been told that the special VI offer is still obtainable
for
free, but my original comments about drivers for laptops still stands.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Angelo Sonnesso" <asonnesso@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 4:40 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I still get it for free


You can certainly run Linux with a Windows like interface.

There are some differences, but they are not bad.

You do have the command line is you want to get geeky, but you don’t have
to

these days.

I personally like Vinux, designed for the Blind.

I must confess I am usually running Debian, or Ubuntu Linux.

Maybe you can give it a try in a virtual computer, and see what you
think.

I ran a CP/m machine for years, and you talk about a learning curve, but
you

make do with what is available.

Having said all of that, once you get Windows 10 setup it is much more
secure than ever.

It does get the job done.



73 N2DYN Angelo



From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of David
F.
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 10:52 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I still get it for free



This is why I wish I had the brains to learn Linux



From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of erik
burggraaf
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 9:04 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I still get it for free



Gene, Here is my reasonable take on this based on my more than 15 years
of

in depth experience not only of windows, but also other major operating
systems.

First, windows is a terrible product in any itteration. There isn't a
single thing windows does better than other operating systems except for
arketecture support. It's the most expensive operating system to
implement

if you remove hardware from the equation. Windows supports cheeper
hardware

than the competition but that doesn't negate the fact that windows itself
is

the highest priced operating system on the market. Windows is also more
expensive to maintain. In fact, an upgrade from windows seven to windows
10

takes about two hours time. If you have to fully patch windows seven sp1
it

takes between 3 and 6 hours depending on connection speed. If you're
paying

by the hour, which would you choose?

Windows is the least secure of all the major OS, further compounding the
astronomical maintanence cost and driving down productivity. I have not
yet

had to hack windows 10, but I have windows seven. In windows seven it is
common place for programs to allow themselves transparently through built
in

firewalling. It is also common place for programs to run as
administrator
without requiring the administrator account to be enabled or requiring an
administrator password. It is possible for programs to sircomvent the
notification system that works on the front line, and it's even possible
and

considered advisable by many people to turn the security notifications
off
altogether. In fact, it is possible when sitting at the keyboard of a
windows seven workstation to gain administrator access without logging in
at

all, to add, remove, or rename windows system files, to take command line
control of a workstation, and to perform any command line function
including

enabling or disabling the administrator account and changing account
credentials, all without logging in. Litterally any improvement would be
better than the attrocity that is windows seven security.

Microsoft interface design is terrible. Ribbons and tiles are only two
examples of design choices meant to set windows apart from competetors
but
had the effect of alienating users. Windows 10 does the smart thing and
returns the windows interface to a more desktop feel.

Windows only gets a refresh every three years or so. That means a lot
happens in the computer world between releases. Because the releases are
alternately pretty decent over all come terrible to the point of
uselessness, windows appeals to pundets who don't like change and want to
hault progress. Fine, but windows seven is coming up on 8 years old and
we

are still talking about support for windows xp being discontinued.
Nowhere

else in the world of operating systems are we talking about support for 8
year old software, and 17 year old software isn't even available for
download on pirate sites. Computers that shipped with windows 7 at the
time

of the release of windows 8 are now end of lifed, and yet, I was still
able

to buy and install a windows seven a month ago. The cost to developers
of
supporting four operating systems spanning 11 years: ten, eight, seven
and
vista, is astronomical, and you lucky end-user, get to pay the bill. The
cost of windows software over all is significantly higher than on any
other

operating system, and part of the reason is that windows users live in
the
past more than any other userbase.

Windows ten continues to be a free upgrade for current users of seven and
eight, long after it was supposed to switch to a completely paid product.
The minimum and recommended hardware configurations are similar to those
of

windows seven. Upgrading usually brings better plug and play hardware
support and other items under the hood that users would miss if they were
gone.

There are features I like in windows ten such as it's minimalist email
app
and it's improved tts voices. Then there are things I'm not too pleased
with such as the loss of control over windows update and the increased
relience on ribbons. True, we don't really have enough information about
this particular case to make a recommendation one way or the other, but
in
general, it is more than time to leave windows seven behind unlesss you
have

some substantial reason not to, such as loss of support for a crutial
piece

of hardware.

All upgrades on all systems require a bit of retraining for new features
or

fernature that moves, but that is part and parcel of computing. Windows
ten

is market tested, reliable and functional at this point. Staying with
windows seven just because is fine for now if that's your personal
choice,
but if you're supporting or recommending on a pro or semipro basis, the
recommendation has to be to upgrade at this point unless circomstances
dictate otherwise.

Best,

Erik

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

On March 8, 2017 8:39:42 AM "Gene" <gsasner@ripco.com> wrote:

You have made a statement and not given any reasons supporting it. That
doesn't tell us anything except that you believe something. People may
have

reasons to upgrade from Windows 7 and Microsoft has recently claimed that
for security reasons, you should upgrade because Windows 7 is not secure
enough anymore because it isn't a new enough operating system to
incorporate

newer security features. I haven't seen any independent discussion
concerning this. But there are always problems that may occur when
updating

and in this case, the point was stated that this is an old computer. You
don't just upgrade. While many upgrades from Windows 7 go well, you
can't
assume they will. I don't think it’s a good idea to urge upgrading as a
general practice. Why is an upgrade being considered? What features, if
any, will be used or are desired by upgrading? Has the computer been
tested

for compatibility of the upgrade?



Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: enes sarıbaş <mailto:enes.saribas@gmail.com>

Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 7:21 AM

To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I still get it for free



that is an extremely bad suggesstion. If you don't have a very good
reason
to not update, it is generally a good idea to update.



On 3/8/2017 4:04 PM, Gene wrote:

Is there a specific reason you want to use Windows 10? You can upgrade
for

free but I don't know the procedure. others, I expect, will advise you.
You say it's an old laptop. There is a Microsoft site you can use to
have
your computer evaluated to see if it is able to be upgraded. But unless
there is a specific feature you want, I would advise leaving well enough
alone.



Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Sakina <mailto:sakina.gable@gmail.com>

Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 6:53 AM

To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Subject: [nvda] Can I still get it for free



Hello gene and Friends,



I have got this passed down old laptop from a friend that has got window
7

Please forgive me for my terminology below

I wish to update or is called upgrade to window 10

Is it possible and can I still get the window 10 for free?

If yes, than please how do I go about.

I will be and always am grateful for your help and guidance.

Thanking you all again.

With best wishes

Sakina




<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&;utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>Image
removed by
sender.Virus-free.<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&;utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>
www.avast.com








--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832
Skype: ron.brown762
--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832
Skype: ron.brown762


Re: Can I still get it for free

Lenron
 

win 10 works great. Does anyone have that accessible link for those
that still need to upgrade from 7?

On 3/9/17, Angelo Sonnesso <asonnesso@gmail.com> wrote:
You certainly did.
Most of the driver issues in Windows 10 have been resolved, remember I said
most.


73 N2DYN Angelo

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian's
Mail list account
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2017 4:42 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I still get it for free

Who suggested Linux? I may have missed an episode here.
I know Sakina aand I doubt she would be interested in Linux. Even I would
not go down that road as its anarchy access wise.
Apparently I've been told that the special VI offer is still obtainable for
free, but my original comments about drivers for laptops still stands.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Angelo Sonnesso" <asonnesso@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 4:40 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I still get it for free


You can certainly run Linux with a Windows like interface.

There are some differences, but they are not bad.

You do have the command line is you want to get geeky, but you don’t have to

these days.

I personally like Vinux, designed for the Blind.

I must confess I am usually running Debian, or Ubuntu Linux.

Maybe you can give it a try in a virtual computer, and see what you think.

I ran a CP/m machine for years, and you talk about a learning curve, but you

make do with what is available.

Having said all of that, once you get Windows 10 setup it is much more
secure than ever.

It does get the job done.



73 N2DYN Angelo



From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of David
F.
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 10:52 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I still get it for free



This is why I wish I had the brains to learn Linux



From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of erik
burggraaf
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 9:04 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I still get it for free



Gene, Here is my reasonable take on this based on my more than 15 years of

in depth experience not only of windows, but also other major operating
systems.

First, windows is a terrible product in any itteration. There isn't a
single thing windows does better than other operating systems except for
arketecture support. It's the most expensive operating system to implement

if you remove hardware from the equation. Windows supports cheeper hardware

than the competition but that doesn't negate the fact that windows itself is

the highest priced operating system on the market. Windows is also more
expensive to maintain. In fact, an upgrade from windows seven to windows 10

takes about two hours time. If you have to fully patch windows seven sp1 it

takes between 3 and 6 hours depending on connection speed. If you're paying

by the hour, which would you choose?

Windows is the least secure of all the major OS, further compounding the
astronomical maintanence cost and driving down productivity. I have not yet

had to hack windows 10, but I have windows seven. In windows seven it is
common place for programs to allow themselves transparently through built in

firewalling. It is also common place for programs to run as administrator
without requiring the administrator account to be enabled or requiring an
administrator password. It is possible for programs to sircomvent the
notification system that works on the front line, and it's even possible and

considered advisable by many people to turn the security notifications off
altogether. In fact, it is possible when sitting at the keyboard of a
windows seven workstation to gain administrator access without logging in at

all, to add, remove, or rename windows system files, to take command line
control of a workstation, and to perform any command line function including

enabling or disabling the administrator account and changing account
credentials, all without logging in. Litterally any improvement would be
better than the attrocity that is windows seven security.

Microsoft interface design is terrible. Ribbons and tiles are only two
examples of design choices meant to set windows apart from competetors but
had the effect of alienating users. Windows 10 does the smart thing and
returns the windows interface to a more desktop feel.

Windows only gets a refresh every three years or so. That means a lot
happens in the computer world between releases. Because the releases are
alternately pretty decent over all come terrible to the point of
uselessness, windows appeals to pundets who don't like change and want to
hault progress. Fine, but windows seven is coming up on 8 years old and we

are still talking about support for windows xp being discontinued. Nowhere

else in the world of operating systems are we talking about support for 8
year old software, and 17 year old software isn't even available for
download on pirate sites. Computers that shipped with windows 7 at the time

of the release of windows 8 are now end of lifed, and yet, I was still able

to buy and install a windows seven a month ago. The cost to developers of
supporting four operating systems spanning 11 years: ten, eight, seven and
vista, is astronomical, and you lucky end-user, get to pay the bill. The
cost of windows software over all is significantly higher than on any other

operating system, and part of the reason is that windows users live in the
past more than any other userbase.

Windows ten continues to be a free upgrade for current users of seven and
eight, long after it was supposed to switch to a completely paid product.
The minimum and recommended hardware configurations are similar to those of

windows seven. Upgrading usually brings better plug and play hardware
support and other items under the hood that users would miss if they were
gone.

There are features I like in windows ten such as it's minimalist email app
and it's improved tts voices. Then there are things I'm not too pleased
with such as the loss of control over windows update and the increased
relience on ribbons. True, we don't really have enough information about
this particular case to make a recommendation one way or the other, but in
general, it is more than time to leave windows seven behind unlesss you have

some substantial reason not to, such as loss of support for a crutial piece

of hardware.

All upgrades on all systems require a bit of retraining for new features or

fernature that moves, but that is part and parcel of computing. Windows ten

is market tested, reliable and functional at this point. Staying with
windows seven just because is fine for now if that's your personal choice,
but if you're supporting or recommending on a pro or semipro basis, the
recommendation has to be to upgrade at this point unless circomstances
dictate otherwise.

Best,

Erik

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

On March 8, 2017 8:39:42 AM "Gene" <gsasner@ripco.com> wrote:

You have made a statement and not given any reasons supporting it. That
doesn't tell us anything except that you believe something. People may have

reasons to upgrade from Windows 7 and Microsoft has recently claimed that
for security reasons, you should upgrade because Windows 7 is not secure
enough anymore because it isn't a new enough operating system to incorporate

newer security features. I haven't seen any independent discussion
concerning this. But there are always problems that may occur when updating

and in this case, the point was stated that this is an old computer. You
don't just upgrade. While many upgrades from Windows 7 go well, you can't
assume they will. I don't think it’s a good idea to urge upgrading as a
general practice. Why is an upgrade being considered? What features, if
any, will be used or are desired by upgrading? Has the computer been tested

for compatibility of the upgrade?



Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: enes sarıbaş <mailto:enes.saribas@gmail.com>

Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 7:21 AM

To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I still get it for free



that is an extremely bad suggesstion. If you don't have a very good reason
to not update, it is generally a good idea to update.



On 3/8/2017 4:04 PM, Gene wrote:

Is there a specific reason you want to use Windows 10? You can upgrade for

free but I don't know the procedure. others, I expect, will advise you.
You say it's an old laptop. There is a Microsoft site you can use to have
your computer evaluated to see if it is able to be upgraded. But unless
there is a specific feature you want, I would advise leaving well enough
alone.



Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Sakina <mailto:sakina.gable@gmail.com>

Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 6:53 AM

To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Subject: [nvda] Can I still get it for free



Hello gene and Friends,



I have got this passed down old laptop from a friend that has got window 7

Please forgive me for my terminology below

I wish to update or is called upgrade to window 10

Is it possible and can I still get the window 10 for free?

If yes, than please how do I go about.

I will be and always am grateful for your help and guidance.

Thanking you all again.

With best wishes

Sakina




<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&;utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>Image
removed by
sender.Virus-free.<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&;utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>
www.avast.com







--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832
Skype: ron.brown762


Re: Can I still get it for free

Angelo Sonnesso
 

You certainly did.
Most of the driver issues in Windows 10 have been resolved, remember I said most.


73 N2DYN Angelo

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian's Mail list account
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2017 4:42 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I still get it for free

Who suggested Linux? I may have missed an episode here.
I know Sakina aand I doubt she would be interested in Linux. Even I would not go down that road as its anarchy access wise.
Apparently I've been told that the special VI offer is still obtainable for free, but my original comments about drivers for laptops still stands.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Angelo Sonnesso" <asonnesso@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 4:40 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I still get it for free


You can certainly run Linux with a Windows like interface.

There are some differences, but they are not bad.

You do have the command line is you want to get geeky, but you don’t have to
these days.

I personally like Vinux, designed for the Blind.

I must confess I am usually running Debian, or Ubuntu Linux.

Maybe you can give it a try in a virtual computer, and see what you think.

I ran a CP/m machine for years, and you talk about a learning curve, but you
make do with what is available.

Having said all of that, once you get Windows 10 setup it is much more
secure than ever.

It does get the job done.



73 N2DYN Angelo



From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of David F.
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 10:52 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I still get it for free



This is why I wish I had the brains to learn Linux



From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of erik
burggraaf
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 9:04 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I still get it for free



Gene, Here is my reasonable take on this based on my more than 15 years of
in depth experience not only of windows, but also other major operating
systems.

First, windows is a terrible product in any itteration. There isn't a
single thing windows does better than other operating systems except for
arketecture support. It's the most expensive operating system to implement
if you remove hardware from the equation. Windows supports cheeper hardware
than the competition but that doesn't negate the fact that windows itself is
the highest priced operating system on the market. Windows is also more
expensive to maintain. In fact, an upgrade from windows seven to windows 10
takes about two hours time. If you have to fully patch windows seven sp1 it
takes between 3 and 6 hours depending on connection speed. If you're paying
by the hour, which would you choose?

Windows is the least secure of all the major OS, further compounding the
astronomical maintanence cost and driving down productivity. I have not yet
had to hack windows 10, but I have windows seven. In windows seven it is
common place for programs to allow themselves transparently through built in
firewalling. It is also common place for programs to run as administrator
without requiring the administrator account to be enabled or requiring an
administrator password. It is possible for programs to sircomvent the
notification system that works on the front line, and it's even possible and
considered advisable by many people to turn the security notifications off
altogether. In fact, it is possible when sitting at the keyboard of a
windows seven workstation to gain administrator access without logging in at
all, to add, remove, or rename windows system files, to take command line
control of a workstation, and to perform any command line function including
enabling or disabling the administrator account and changing account
credentials, all without logging in. Litterally any improvement would be
better than the attrocity that is windows seven security.

Microsoft interface design is terrible. Ribbons and tiles are only two
examples of design choices meant to set windows apart from competetors but
had the effect of alienating users. Windows 10 does the smart thing and
returns the windows interface to a more desktop feel.

Windows only gets a refresh every three years or so. That means a lot
happens in the computer world between releases. Because the releases are
alternately pretty decent over all come terrible to the point of
uselessness, windows appeals to pundets who don't like change and want to
hault progress. Fine, but windows seven is coming up on 8 years old and we
are still talking about support for windows xp being discontinued. Nowhere
else in the world of operating systems are we talking about support for 8
year old software, and 17 year old software isn't even available for
download on pirate sites. Computers that shipped with windows 7 at the time
of the release of windows 8 are now end of lifed, and yet, I was still able
to buy and install a windows seven a month ago. The cost to developers of
supporting four operating systems spanning 11 years: ten, eight, seven and
vista, is astronomical, and you lucky end-user, get to pay the bill. The
cost of windows software over all is significantly higher than on any other
operating system, and part of the reason is that windows users live in the
past more than any other userbase.

Windows ten continues to be a free upgrade for current users of seven and
eight, long after it was supposed to switch to a completely paid product.
The minimum and recommended hardware configurations are similar to those of
windows seven. Upgrading usually brings better plug and play hardware
support and other items under the hood that users would miss if they were
gone.

There are features I like in windows ten such as it's minimalist email app
and it's improved tts voices. Then there are things I'm not too pleased
with such as the loss of control over windows update and the increased
relience on ribbons. True, we don't really have enough information about
this particular case to make a recommendation one way or the other, but in
general, it is more than time to leave windows seven behind unlesss you have
some substantial reason not to, such as loss of support for a crutial piece
of hardware.

All upgrades on all systems require a bit of retraining for new features or
fernature that moves, but that is part and parcel of computing. Windows ten
is market tested, reliable and functional at this point. Staying with
windows seven just because is fine for now if that's your personal choice,
but if you're supporting or recommending on a pro or semipro basis, the
recommendation has to be to upgrade at this point unless circomstances
dictate otherwise.

Best,

Erik

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

On March 8, 2017 8:39:42 AM "Gene" <gsasner@ripco.com> wrote:

You have made a statement and not given any reasons supporting it. That
doesn't tell us anything except that you believe something. People may have
reasons to upgrade from Windows 7 and Microsoft has recently claimed that
for security reasons, you should upgrade because Windows 7 is not secure
enough anymore because it isn't a new enough operating system to incorporate
newer security features. I haven't seen any independent discussion
concerning this. But there are always problems that may occur when updating
and in this case, the point was stated that this is an old computer. You
don't just upgrade. While many upgrades from Windows 7 go well, you can't
assume they will. I don't think it’s a good idea to urge upgrading as a
general practice. Why is an upgrade being considered? What features, if
any, will be used or are desired by upgrading? Has the computer been tested
for compatibility of the upgrade?



Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: enes sarıbaş <mailto:enes.saribas@gmail.com>

Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 7:21 AM

To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I still get it for free



that is an extremely bad suggesstion. If you don't have a very good reason
to not update, it is generally a good idea to update.



On 3/8/2017 4:04 PM, Gene wrote:

Is there a specific reason you want to use Windows 10? You can upgrade for
free but I don't know the procedure. others, I expect, will advise you.
You say it's an old laptop. There is a Microsoft site you can use to have
your computer evaluated to see if it is able to be upgraded. But unless
there is a specific feature you want, I would advise leaving well enough
alone.



Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Sakina <mailto:sakina.gable@gmail.com>

Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 6:53 AM

To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Subject: [nvda] Can I still get it for free



Hello gene and Friends,



I have got this passed down old laptop from a friend that has got window 7

Please forgive me for my terminology below

I wish to update or is called upgrade to window 10

Is it possible and can I still get the window 10 for free?

If yes, than please how do I go about.

I will be and always am grateful for your help and guidance.

Thanking you all again.

With best wishes

Sakina




<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&;utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>Image removed by sender.Virus-free.<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&;utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> www.avast.com