Date   

Re: TWBlue stopped working, please help?

Kevin Cussick
 

Hi Lisa, have you tried just hitting tw in the search bar and when you hear twblue desktop app hitting enter this works for me.

On 18/04/2016 12:58, Lisa P Geibel wrote:
Hi Kevin,
Just tried this and nothing happened again. It's like the icon is there,
but the computer has no clue what it's supposed to do when you hit enter
on it or try to run it as administrator.

Lisa
E-Mail: lisapgeibel429@...
Facebook: http://facebook.com/ldporter1
Twitter: http://twitter.com/LisaLisa429
Philmore box shared with hubby:
773-572-7897
God bless everyone!!!

On 4/18/16 6:34 AM, Kevin Cussick via Groups.io wrote:
No, just make a fresh short cut to the exe file and it should run. I
have had this as well on windows10 and this for some reason seems to fix
it.

On 18/04/2016 04:34, Arlene wrote:
Hi there: If that was me. I'd just uninstall that program. It's up to
you what you want to do with it. Someone else on the list can better
tell you. I'm saying if that's me I'd get rid of the program.

-----Original Message-----
From: Lisa P Geibel [mailto:lisapgeibel429@...]
Sent: April-17-16 8:23 PM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: [nvda] TWBlue stopped working, please help?

Hi,
I know I've heard about people with this program and it not working. I
even went through the time when extra characters were added to the
twblue.exe file, but this is not the case now. We've uninstalled and
reinstalled the latest version, but still nothing. Restarted the
computer and still nothing. Tried hitting enter on the desktop icon for
the program, tried running it as administrator with the context key,
tried loading it from the twblue.exe icon in the program files folder
and still nothing. Does anyone have any ideas or should we really say a
final farewell to this great program? We're running Windows 10 with the
latest build of NVDA and also have the latest version of JAWS, but it
won't work that way either. Any ideas or help would be greatly
appreciated? Thanks.


Re:

David Moore
 

Hi,
I used the dec talk hard ware synthisizer in the 80s with an IBM computer. Wow, that really brings back memories. Take care.
 
 

Sent: Monday, April 18, 2016 2:34 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda]
 
Thanks for those samples. I've never really been a fan of Decktalk, but I have heard quite a bit of it over the years, and you are right. This version does sound quite different than what's shipped with Window Eyes.
 
 
Thanks,
Ari
 
People who are interested may want to hear a recording I made when I was evaluating this version of Dectalk.  it speaks differently enough and has a bit of a different inflection pattern as well and those interested should hear the program when deciding.  You may be able to use it as a demo but this recording may allow you to decide what you think of this version.  The original DECTalk couldn't be replicated, I think because the code was lost at some time and this is a reconstruction.  The person selling the program isn't responsible for this.  She is making available what has been supplied.
 

The person selling this version is very friendly and it was a pleasure corresponding with her.
The link to download the samples is
The sample consists of the reading of a small part of Genesis at two different speeds.  Trying the synthesizer as you would use it may be preferable but this may give you a reasonable idea of whether you want to pursue the matter.
 
Gene
 
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2016 6:04 AM
Subject: Re: This is the moderator speaking: [nvda] Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code Factory
 
Well if people don't want the legal version of eloquence.
emailing enablerehab@... and asking for their dectalk synth may be
the better option.
They don't exactly sell it anymore because there is no interest however
they will sell it to you for basically what its worth.
Their licence with fonix means you need to pay but there is no fixed
price so pay what you want.
I put in 20 bucks for the thing but you could pay anything from 1-2
dollars up.
For those not liking eloquence this may be the better solution.
My only complaint is that some of  the voices  are a bit quiet volume wise.
However for about a couple mb you get every dectalk voice and language,
sadly no singing but even so.



On 18/04/2016 10:33 p.m., Joseph Lee wrote:
> Hi Chris,
> 1. CF version is legal.
> 2. Sometimes we do see illegal Eloquence pop up, and this version is the one we don't allow (legal versions are allowed).
> Hope this helps (and please have a long rest).
> Cheers,
> Joseph
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Christopher-Mark Gilland [mailto:clgilland07@...]
> Sent: Monday, April 18, 2016 3:25 AM
> To: nvda@groups.io
> Subject: Re: This is the moderator speaking: [nvda] Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code Factory
>
> This is the only Eloquence related post I'm going to send to this list, but it has 100% everything to do with what Joseph has just said.  I'm neither promoting nor asking about how to get this working with Eloquence, so know that up front.
>
> So, my question is, first, Joseph, you say that Code Factory released an addon.  I guess my question is, is that addon considered to be illegal?
> Second off, I'm a little bit confused.  Are you saying that Eloquence is allowed, or are you saying it isn't allowed at this time on list.  Further, if not allowed, please then be more specific.  Are you saying it's not allowed period, or are you saying it's allowed, but only if talking about the CF version.
>
> Sorry, your message was just a little bit vague.  I've had an extremely emotionally rough night, I won't go into it more than to say, I've been crying my eyes out all night, so therefore as you can imagine, I'm incredibly tired, so perhaps my mind is a bit oblivious right now to the meaning of your message.  If so, please forgive me.
> ---
> Christopher Gilland
> JAWS Certified, 2016.
> Training Instructor.
>
> clgilland07@...
> Phone: (704) 256-8010.
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@...>
> To: <nvda@groups.io>
> Sent: Monday, April 18, 2016 6:17 AM
> Subject: Re: This is the moderator speaking: [nvda] Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code Factory
>
>
> Ladies and gentlemen,
>
> Until a few months ago, discussion of Eloquence wasn't allowed on this list.
> This was relaxed last summer when Code Factory released Eloquence add-on.
> Back then, Nimer and I (Nimer being the actual list owner) said discussion of illegal version isn't still permitted.
> At this point, it would be advisable to suspend Eloquence discussions for a while. We cannot risk giving NVDA a slightly muddy reputation at this important occasion: NVDA's tenth anniversary and NVDACon. Please don't forget this: the reputation of a product, particularly a product that many of you depends on, depends on what users say about the product and the discussions surrounding it.
> For those new to this list: I'm known for being generous. However, I'm also known for being a volcano, especially if the integrity of the list or the reputation of a product or a community is questioned. I'll not activate moderation flag for anyone out of respect for everyone and for newbies to get accustomed to this environment.
> For our old friends: Yes, I am indeed serious, more serious now that we're about to help NV Access celebrate NVDA's tenth birthday. Not only I'm speaking on behalf of moderators, but as one of the planners of NVDACon 2016 (I am indeed the chair of the planning committee), I'd like to kindly request that we care about reputation of NVDA, NV Access and this community.
> These days, what gives me more stress isn't the question of who will succeed me or success of NVDACon, but the reputation and future of this community for months and years to come. What gives me more joy is to see you all become folks who can think about what's going on and make informed decisions (yes, that's the reason why I've proposed certain proposals in the past).
> In conclusion, I do know I will not be able to sleep tonight, but believe I need to say this: NVDA community, specifically this forum, is facing a
> crisis: misinformation abounds and passion trumps reason at times. We're suffering from a disease called "misinformation" - what is illegal being seen as legal, people not being informed as to what's available to them when they need it, name calling at times and so forth (as I mentioned in my blog, I will not accept name calling). Being passionate about something is good, but it is better to think about what's going on before defending one's arguments. In other words, contrary to what we've said about this forum to the outside world, we're at times known for doing the opposite.
> Lastly, in regards to free material: there is no such thing as free lunch. I do need to say this in public: NVDA isn't technically free. For the benefit of many, NVDA is made available as a free, open-source and community-driven screen reader. But there are costs associated with this project. Please stop now and imagine for a second: imagine a group of developers who have decided to promote equal access to technology at no additional costs, using their talents to give opportunities for someone who lives in poverty somewhere.
> NVDA is more than a screen reader now: it's a movement, and workers deserve their wages - support, encouragement, opportunities and so on.
> Thank you.
> Cheers,
> Joseph
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Afrim [mailto:afrim.maja@...]
> Sent: Monday, April 18, 2016 2:43 AM
> To: nvda@groups.io
> Subject: Re: [nvda] Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code Factory
>
> Why do people talk about it? They can, and I don't consider it against the rules of the list since the add-on, the alternative if you like to call it is available and accessible from within the add-on list of NVDA.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Apr 17, 2016, at 9:33 PM, mk360 <mk.seventhson@...> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I can pay, but the first condition is that the paid versions works as
>> fine or better that the alternative, and as reviews as been said, that
>> is not the case.
>> However, I know that in the list we can't speak about that
>> alternative, so I don't understand why the people speak about it.
>>
>> Regards,
>> mk.
>>
>>> El 17-04-2016 a las 8:04, Greg Wocher escribió:
>>> Hello,
>>> I want to give those of you who use the illegal eloquence add on some
>>> food for thought. When you do it and proudly proclaim that you do,
>>> you give NVDA and its users a bad reputation. I think I may purchase
>>> the Code Factory add on later this afternoon from AT Guys and I will
>>> let you all know if it gets rid of the choppiness.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Greg Wocher
>>>
>>>> On 4/17/2016 5:32 AM, Peter Beasley wrote:
>>>> My sentiments exactly.
>>>>
>>>> -----Original Message----- From: Afrim
>>>> Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2016 6:40 AM
>>>> To: nvda@groups.io
>>>> Subject: Re: [nvda] Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code
>>>> Factory
>>>>
>>>> I have been using the old add-on of eloquonce someone made, and I am
>>>> not going to pay for a program  that does essentially the same
>>>> thing. The add-on I am talking about works so fast and reliably.
>>>> cheers.
>>>>
>>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>>
>>>>> On Apr 17, 2016, at 6:22 AM, Kelly Sapergia <ksapergia@...>
>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>
>>>>> Recently, there was a discussion about alternative voices for NVDA,
>>>>> such as Code Factory's add-on with Eloquence and Vocalizer. I
>>>>> mentioned that when I tried this particular product, I noticed that
>>>>> Eloquence sounded quite choppy compared to other screen readers and
>>>>> other synths I have for NVDA on my machine running Windows 7.
>>>>> I also never experienced this with Code Factory's SAPI 5
>>>>> implementation.
>>>>> Anyway, I got thinking about it this evening, and decided to do
>>>>> some searching to see if anyone else was experiencing similar
>>>>> issues. I found a thread about the add-on in the old NVDA list's
>>>>> archive, and saw a message stating that the choppiness would go
>>>>> away once the product was paid for. I was just wondering if this is
>>>>> indeed the case? If yes, it's not what I'd consider the best way to
>>>>> limit a trial version, but I might buy it after all.
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks.
>>>>>
>>>>> Yours Sincerely,
>>>>> Kelly John Sapergia
>>>>> Show Host and Production Director
>>>>> The Global Voice Internet Radio
>>>>> http://www.theglobalvoice.info
>>>>>
>>>>> Personal Website: http://www.ksapergia.net Business Website (KJS
>>>>> Productions): http://www.kjsproductions.com Follow me on Twitter
>>>>> at: kjsapergia
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> .
>



locked Re: This is the moderator speaking: Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code Factory

David Moore
 

Hi Pete,
Thank you so much, because I have made the same argument on many lists. Try using a horse and buggy on a free way. There comes a time when you just have to learn something new and change with the times. People who live over 100, say this is the main thing you have to do to live that long. Sometimes you have to forget the past and move on toward the future. Someday, I will be able to drive my own car, and I will embrace it. NVDA works so well in win10, and win10 is like a mantion over a log cabbin. We should have choice, but like you said, it can’t get in the way of the world changing for the good. Take care. If it takes buying new programs, it must be done because of the coming future. Start saving now, so you can prepare for the beautiful tech future that is to come. Have a great one.
 
 

From: Pete
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2016 2:43 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] This is the moderator speaking: Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code Factory
 

  Same thing for people wanting windows x p. 
  I am getting ready to install w10, have to check on if w e 9 works in w10 or not. the f s people told me j16 works in w10 and sounds like people are using w 10 with nvda. 
Change is good but one should not be forced to loose freedom of choice. 

On 4/18/2016 2:22 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

Pete wrote, "It's kind of like the whole e-mail thing with people wanting to use outlook express except people keep telling them to use Thunderbird or Microsoft outlook or window live mail or some thing like that."

This isn't a "freedom of choice" issue, it's a simple fact of life that certain programs, Outlook Express being one example, effectively cease to exist when official support ends.  No one is guaranteed, nor should they expect, that anything that they're using will be available in perpetuity.

I discourage people from using Outlook Express because the only existing versions available are hacks based on who knows what code base and with what vulnerabilities.  Since e-mail clients constantly interact with the internet this is a real concern.

While such a concern is not present regarding voice synthesis, things will come, and go, in that arena as well.  There is very likely going to come a point where you, for any you, have to let go of something you're used to because it is not being supported or carried forward.  Getting used to this, even though it's painful, is essential in the cyber world unless you want to drive yourself crazy.  I've seen a lot of people over the years who have expended far more energy trying to hold on to something than would have been expended to learn the new that's available to them.

Brian



locked Re: This is the moderator speaking: Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code Factory

 

Gene wrote, "Freedom of choice is fine up to a point but you are implying, in an analagous context, that people should be allowed to use Model T Fords to preserve freedom of choice.  Too much choice equals stifling choice for many others.  it is not reasonable nor practical to expect backward compatibility indefinitely."

To which I cannot say, more loudly, "Amen brother!!"

I really don't know why people think that the cyber world can, will, or should offer indefinite backward compatibility when none of the rest of the world ever has.  Whether it's because it's too cumbersome or difficult or because a given vendor just decides "time's up," the loss of stuff in the cyber world is a fact of life just like it is "in real life."

The fact that it is easier, often by far, to cling to something in the cyber world long past its "expiration date" only complicates the problem.

Brian


locked Re: This is the moderator speaking: Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code Factory

Gene
 

Freedom of choice is fine up to a point but you are implying, in an analagous context, that people should be allowed to use Model T Fords to preserve freedom of choice.  Too much choice equals stifling choice for many others.  it is not reasonable nor practical to expect backward compatibility indefinitely.  Over time, it may become too cumbersome to keep a program working on an increasingly old version of an operating system.  Just as it becomes impractical to have model t fords on fast highways of today.  I am not a tech so I can't discuss this from a technical standpointbut it is true that over time it becomes increasingly difficult to keep new versions of an operating system backwardly compatible with increasingly old programs. 
 
As far as reviving Text Assist is concerned, it wouldn't make sense to do so in its original form.  But the real problem with DEDTalk these days is that someone lost the original code and current versions are reconstructions and are not as good, though some reconstructions are quite reasonable.  If the speech part of Text Assist, the DECTalk code, could be used to build a modern version of DECTalk, that might be worth doing.  But Text Assist as such, wouldn't be practical to revive as it was.   
 

Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Pete
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2016 1:43 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] This is the moderator speaking: Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code Factory

 
  Same thing for people wanting windows x p. 
  I am getting ready to install w10, have to check on if w e 9 works in w10 or not. the f s people told me j16 works in w10 and sounds like people are using w 10 with nvda. 
Change is good but one should not be forced to loose freedom of choice. 

On 4/18/2016 2:22 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

Pete wrote, "It's kind of like the whole e-mail thing with people wanting to use outlook express except people keep telling them to use Thunderbird or Microsoft outlook or window live mail or some thing like that."

This isn't a "freedom of choice" issue, it's a simple fact of life that certain programs, Outlook Express being one example, effectively cease to exist when official support ends.  No one is guaranteed, nor should they expect, that anything that they're using will be available in perpetuity.

I discourage people from using Outlook Express because the only existing versions available are hacks based on who knows what code base and with what vulnerabilities.  Since e-mail clients constantly interact with the internet this is a real concern.

While such a concern is not present regarding voice synthesis, things will come, and go, in that arena as well.  There is very likely going to come a point where you, for any you, have to let go of something you're used to because it is not being supported or carried forward.  Getting used to this, even though it's painful, is essential in the cyber world unless you want to drive yourself crazy.  I've seen a lot of people over the years who have expended far more energy trying to hold on to something than would have been expended to learn the new that's available to them.

Brian



locked Re: This is the moderator speaking: Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code Factory

Pete <emac00@...>
 

 
  Same thing for people wanting windows x p. 
  I am getting ready to install w10, have to check on if w e 9 works in w10 or not. the f s people told me j16 works in w10 and sounds like people are using w 10 with nvda. 
Change is good but one should not be forced to loose freedom of choice. 

On 4/18/2016 2:22 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

Pete wrote, "It's kind of like the whole e-mail thing with people wanting to use outlook express except people keep telling them to use Thunderbird or Microsoft outlook or window live mail or some thing like that."

This isn't a "freedom of choice" issue, it's a simple fact of life that certain programs, Outlook Express being one example, effectively cease to exist when official support ends.  No one is guaranteed, nor should they expect, that anything that they're using will be available in perpetuity.

I discourage people from using Outlook Express because the only existing versions available are hacks based on who knows what code base and with what vulnerabilities.  Since e-mail clients constantly interact with the internet this is a real concern.

While such a concern is not present regarding voice synthesis, things will come, and go, in that arena as well.  There is very likely going to come a point where you, for any you, have to let go of something you're used to because it is not being supported or carried forward.  Getting used to this, even though it's painful, is essential in the cyber world unless you want to drive yourself crazy.  I've seen a lot of people over the years who have expended far more energy trying to hold on to something than would have been expended to learn the new that's available to them.

Brian



locked Re: This is the moderator speaking: Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code Factory

Pete <emac00@...>
 

 
  I hear you,  hence lot's of people are still using x p and with x p you have outlook express if you want it.  I would strongly discourage using any hacked outlook express program. 

On 4/18/2016 2:22 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

Pete wrote, "It's kind of like the whole e-mail thing with people wanting to use outlook express except people keep telling them to use Thunderbird or Microsoft outlook or window live mail or some thing like that."

This isn't a "freedom of choice" issue, it's a simple fact of life that certain programs, Outlook Express being one example, effectively cease to exist when official support ends.  No one is guaranteed, nor should they expect, that anything that they're using will be available in perpetuity.

I discourage people from using Outlook Express because the only existing versions available are hacks based on who knows what code base and with what vulnerabilities.  Since e-mail clients constantly interact with the internet this is a real concern.

While such a concern is not present regarding voice synthesis, things will come, and go, in that arena as well.  There is very likely going to come a point where you, for any you, have to let go of something you're used to because it is not being supported or carried forward.  Getting used to this, even though it's painful, is essential in the cyber world unless you want to drive yourself crazy.  I've seen a lot of people over the years who have expended far more energy trying to hold on to something than would have been expended to learn the new that's available to them.

Brian



Re:

Arianna Sepulveda
 

Thanks for those samples. I've never really been a fan of Decktalk, but I have heard quite a bit of it over the years, and you are right. This version does sound quite different than what's shipped with Window Eyes.


Thanks,
Ari

People who are interested may want to hear a recording I made when I was evaluating this version of Dectalk.  it speaks differently enough and has a bit of a different inflection pattern as well and those interested should hear the program when deciding.  You may be able to use it as a demo but this recording may allow you to decide what you think of this version.  The original DECTalk couldn't be replicated, I think because the code was lost at some time and this is a reconstruction.  The person selling the program isn't responsible for this.  She is making available what has been supplied. 
 

The person selling this version is very friendly and it was a pleasure corresponding with her.
The link to download the samples is
The sample consists of the reading of a small part of Genesis at two different speeds.  Trying the synthesizer as you would use it may be preferable but this may give you a reasonable idea of whether you want to pursue the matter.
 
Gene

Sent: Monday, April 18, 2016 6:04 AM
Subject: Re: This is the moderator speaking: [nvda] Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code Factory

Well if people don't want the legal version of eloquence.
emailing enablerehab@... and asking for their dectalk synth may be
the better option.
They don't exactly sell it anymore because there is no interest however
they will sell it to you for basically what its worth.
Their licence with fonix means you need to pay but there is no fixed
price so pay what you want.
I put in 20 bucks for the thing but you could pay anything from 1-2
dollars up.
For those not liking eloquence this may be the better solution.
My only complaint is that some of  the voices  are a bit quiet volume wise.
However for about a couple mb you get every dectalk voice and language,
sadly no singing but even so.



On 18/04/2016 10:33 p.m., Joseph Lee wrote:
> Hi Chris,
> 1. CF version is legal.
> 2. Sometimes we do see illegal Eloquence pop up, and this version is the one we don't allow (legal versions are allowed).
> Hope this helps (and please have a long rest).
> Cheers,
> Joseph
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Christopher-Mark Gilland [mailto:clgilland07@...]
> Sent: Monday, April 18, 2016 3:25 AM
> To: nvda@groups.io
> Subject: Re: This is the moderator speaking: [nvda] Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code Factory
>
> This is the only Eloquence related post I'm going to send to this list, but it has 100% everything to do with what Joseph has just said.  I'm neither promoting nor asking about how to get this working with Eloquence, so know that up front.
>
> So, my question is, first, Joseph, you say that Code Factory released an addon.  I guess my question is, is that addon considered to be illegal?
> Second off, I'm a little bit confused.  Are you saying that Eloquence is allowed, or are you saying it isn't allowed at this time on list.  Further, if not allowed, please then be more specific.  Are you saying it's not allowed period, or are you saying it's allowed, but only if talking about the CF version.
>
> Sorry, your message was just a little bit vague.  I've had an extremely emotionally rough night, I won't go into it more than to say, I've been crying my eyes out all night, so therefore as you can imagine, I'm incredibly tired, so perhaps my mind is a bit oblivious right now to the meaning of your message.  If so, please forgive me.
> ---
> Christopher Gilland
> JAWS Certified, 2016.
> Training Instructor.
>
> clgilland07@...
> Phone: (704) 256-8010.
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@...>
> To: <nvda@groups.io>
> Sent: Monday, April 18, 2016 6:17 AM
> Subject: Re: This is the moderator speaking: [nvda] Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code Factory
>
>
> Ladies and gentlemen,
>
> Until a few months ago, discussion of Eloquence wasn't allowed on this list.
> This was relaxed last summer when Code Factory released Eloquence add-on.
> Back then, Nimer and I (Nimer being the actual list owner) said discussion of illegal version isn't still permitted.
> At this point, it would be advisable to suspend Eloquence discussions for a while. We cannot risk giving NVDA a slightly muddy reputation at this important occasion: NVDA's tenth anniversary and NVDACon. Please don't forget this: the reputation of a product, particularly a product that many of you depends on, depends on what users say about the product and the discussions surrounding it.
> For those new to this list: I'm known for being generous. However, I'm also known for being a volcano, especially if the integrity of the list or the reputation of a product or a community is questioned. I'll not activate moderation flag for anyone out of respect for everyone and for newbies to get accustomed to this environment.
> For our old friends: Yes, I am indeed serious, more serious now that we're about to help NV Access celebrate NVDA's tenth birthday. Not only I'm speaking on behalf of moderators, but as one of the planners of NVDACon 2016 (I am indeed the chair of the planning committee), I'd like to kindly request that we care about reputation of NVDA, NV Access and this community.
> These days, what gives me more stress isn't the question of who will succeed me or success of NVDACon, but the reputation and future of this community for months and years to come. What gives me more joy is to see you all become folks who can think about what's going on and make informed decisions (yes, that's the reason why I've proposed certain proposals in the past).
> In conclusion, I do know I will not be able to sleep tonight, but believe I need to say this: NVDA community, specifically this forum, is facing a
> crisis: misinformation abounds and passion trumps reason at times. We're suffering from a disease called "misinformation" - what is illegal being seen as legal, people not being informed as to what's available to them when they need it, name calling at times and so forth (as I mentioned in my blog, I will not accept name calling). Being passionate about something is good, but it is better to think about what's going on before defending one's arguments. In other words, contrary to what we've said about this forum to the outside world, we're at times known for doing the opposite.
> Lastly, in regards to free material: there is no such thing as free lunch. I do need to say this in public: NVDA isn't technically free. For the benefit of many, NVDA is made available as a free, open-source and community-driven screen reader. But there are costs associated with this project. Please stop now and imagine for a second: imagine a group of developers who have decided to promote equal access to technology at no additional costs, using their talents to give opportunities for someone who lives in poverty somewhere.
> NVDA is more than a screen reader now: it's a movement, and workers deserve their wages - support, encouragement, opportunities and so on.
> Thank you.
> Cheers,
> Joseph
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Afrim [mailto:afrim.maja@...]
> Sent: Monday, April 18, 2016 2:43 AM
> To: nvda@groups.io
> Subject: Re: [nvda] Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code Factory
>
> Why do people talk about it? They can, and I don't consider it against the rules of the list since the add-on, the alternative if you like to call it is available and accessible from within the add-on list of NVDA.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Apr 17, 2016, at 9:33 PM, mk360 <mk.seventhson@...> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I can pay, but the first condition is that the paid versions works as
>> fine or better that the alternative, and as reviews as been said, that
>> is not the case.
>> However, I know that in the list we can't speak about that
>> alternative, so I don't understand why the people speak about it.
>>
>> Regards,
>> mk.
>>
>>> El 17-04-2016 a las 8:04, Greg Wocher escribió:
>>> Hello,
>>> I want to give those of you who use the illegal eloquence add on some
>>> food for thought. When you do it and proudly proclaim that you do,
>>> you give NVDA and its users a bad reputation. I think I may purchase
>>> the Code Factory add on later this afternoon from AT Guys and I will
>>> let you all know if it gets rid of the choppiness.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Greg Wocher
>>>
>>>> On 4/17/2016 5:32 AM, Peter Beasley wrote:
>>>> My sentiments exactly.
>>>>
>>>> -----Original Message----- From: Afrim
>>>> Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2016 6:40 AM
>>>> To: nvda@groups.io
>>>> Subject: Re: [nvda] Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code
>>>> Factory
>>>>
>>>> I have been using the old add-on of eloquonce someone made, and I am
>>>> not going to pay for a program  that does essentially the same
>>>> thing. The add-on I am talking about works so fast and reliably.
>>>> cheers.
>>>>
>>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>>
>>>>> On Apr 17, 2016, at 6:22 AM, Kelly Sapergia <ksapergia@...>
>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>
>>>>> Recently, there was a discussion about alternative voices for NVDA,
>>>>> such as Code Factory's add-on with Eloquence and Vocalizer. I
>>>>> mentioned that when I tried this particular product, I noticed that
>>>>> Eloquence sounded quite choppy compared to other screen readers and
>>>>> other synths I have for NVDA on my machine running Windows 7.
>>>>> I also never experienced this with Code Factory's SAPI 5
>>>>> implementation.
>>>>> Anyway, I got thinking about it this evening, and decided to do
>>>>> some searching to see if anyone else was experiencing similar
>>>>> issues. I found a thread about the add-on in the old NVDA list's
>>>>> archive, and saw a message stating that the choppiness would go
>>>>> away once the product was paid for. I was just wondering if this is
>>>>> indeed the case? If yes, it's not what I'd consider the best way to
>>>>> limit a trial version, but I might buy it after all.
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks.
>>>>>
>>>>> Yours Sincerely,
>>>>> Kelly John Sapergia
>>>>> Show Host and Production Director
>>>>> The Global Voice Internet Radio
>>>>> http://www.theglobalvoice.info
>>>>>
>>>>> Personal Website: http://www.ksapergia.net Business Website (KJS
>>>>> Productions): http://www.kjsproductions.com Follow me on Twitter
>>>>> at: kjsapergia
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> .
>



locked Re: This is the moderator speaking: Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code Factory

Pete <emac00@...>
 

Some people like the speech player ad don, it gives more flexibility in the way one can configure voices.
It's been a while since I searched around for software synthesizers.
I have an old i s a DEC talk board along with an accent p c and doubletalk p c. I picked up an old DEC express a while ago.

On 4/18/2016 2:09 PM, mr. Chikodinaka Oguledo&mrs. AdonnihHappiness Obima Oguledo wrote:
any other voices I can use bsides the jaws voice. I need Somantha for
nvda &others like Jill &rail speak solo voices free ones

On 4/18/16, Pete <emac00@...> wrote:
Hi
I think the synthesizers that come with some audio / sound cards need
to be looked at by screen reader developers. Like I mentioned earlier
textassist is quite a good synthesizer. The thing people kept saying
sapi 3 was junk / old use sapi 4. It's kind of like the whole e-mail
thing with people wanting to use outlook express except people keep
telling them to use Thunderbird or Microsoft outlook or window live mail
or some thing like that. That kind of behavior doesn't encourage freedom
of choice. What if we were all told we would have to use Winkline for
the rest of our lives for a screen reader? May be now a days less
software gets bundled with sound cards plus most p c s have on board audio.
Pete
On 4/18/2016 6:17 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Ladies and gentlemen,

Until a few months ago, discussion of Eloquence wasn't allowed on this
list. This was relaxed last summer when Code Factory released Eloquence
add-on. Back then, Nimer and I (Nimer being the actual list owner) said
discussion of illegal version isn't still permitted.
At this point, it would be advisable to suspend Eloquence discussions for
a while. We cannot risk giving NVDA a slightly muddy reputation at this
important occasion: NVDA's tenth anniversary and NVDACon. Please don't
forget this: the reputation of a product, particularly a product that many
of you depends on, depends on what users say about the product and the
discussions surrounding it.
For those new to this list: I'm known for being generous. However, I'm
also known for being a volcano, especially if the integrity of the list or
the reputation of a product or a community is questioned. I'll not
activate moderation flag for anyone out of respect for everyone and for
newbies to get accustomed to this environment.
For our old friends: Yes, I am indeed serious, more serious now that we're
about to help NV Access celebrate NVDA's tenth birthday. Not only I'm
speaking on behalf of moderators, but as one of the planners of NVDACon
2016 (I am indeed the chair of the planning committee), I'd like to kindly
request that we care about reputation of NVDA, NV Access and this
community. These days, what gives me more stress isn't the question of who
will succeed me or success of NVDACon, but the reputation and future of
this community for months and years to come. What gives me more joy is to
see you all become folks who can think about what's going on and make
informed decisions (yes, that's the reason why I've proposed certain
proposals in the past).
In conclusion, I do know I will not be able to sleep tonight, but believe
I need to say this: NVDA community, specifically this forum, is facing a
crisis: misinformation abounds and passion trumps reason at times. We're
suffering from a disease called "misinformation" - what is illegal being
seen as legal, people not being informed as to what's available to them
when they need it, name calling at times and so forth (as I mentioned in
my blog, I will not accept name calling). Being passionate about something
is good, but it is better to think about what's going on before defending
one's arguments. In other words, contrary to what we've said about this
forum to the outside world, we're at times known for doing the opposite.
Lastly, in regards to free material: there is no such thing as free lunch.
I do need to say this in public: NVDA isn't technically free. For the
benefit of many, NVDA is made available as a free, open-source and
community-driven screen reader. But there are costs associated with this
project. Please stop now and imagine for a second: imagine a group of
developers who have decided to promote equal access to technology at no
additional costs, using their talents to give opportunities for someone
who lives in poverty somewhere. NVDA is more than a screen reader now:
it's a movement, and workers deserve their wages - support, encouragement,
opportunities and so on.
Thank you.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: Afrim [mailto:afrim.maja@...]
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2016 2:43 AM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code
Factory

Why do people talk about it? They can, and I don't consider it against the
rules of the list since the add-on, the alternative if you like to call it
is available and accessible from within the add-on list of NVDA.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 17, 2016, at 9:33 PM, mk360 <mk.seventhson@...> wrote:

Hi,

I can pay, but the first condition is that the paid versions works as
fine or better that the alternative, and as reviews as been said, that is
not the case.
However, I know that in the list we can't speak about that alternative,
so I don't understand why the people speak about it.

Regards,
mk.

El 17-04-2016 a las 8:04, Greg Wocher escribió:
Hello,
I want to give those of you who use the illegal eloquence add on some
food for thought. When you do it and proudly proclaim that you do, you
give NVDA and its users a bad reputation. I think I may purchase the
Code Factory add on later this afternoon from AT Guys and I will let you
all know if it gets rid of the choppiness.

Regards,
Greg Wocher

On 4/17/2016 5:32 AM, Peter Beasley wrote:
My sentiments exactly.

-----Original Message----- From: Afrim
Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2016 6:40 AM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code
Factory

I have been using the old add-on of eloquonce someone made, and I am
not going to pay for a program that does essentially the same thing.
The add-on I am talking about works so fast and reliably.
cheers.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 17, 2016, at 6:22 AM, Kelly Sapergia <ksapergia@...>
wrote:

Hi,

Recently, there was a discussion about alternative voices for NVDA,
such as Code Factory's add-on with Eloquence and Vocalizer. I
mentioned that when I tried this particular product, I noticed that
Eloquence sounded quite choppy compared to other screen readers and
other synths I have for NVDA on my machine running Windows 7.
I also never experienced this with Code Factory's SAPI 5
implementation.
Anyway, I got thinking about it this evening, and decided to do some
searching to see if anyone else was experiencing similar issues. I
found a thread about the add-on in the old NVDA list's archive, and
saw a message stating that the choppiness would go away once the
product was paid for. I was just wondering if this is indeed the case?
If yes, it's not what I'd consider the best way to limit a trial
version, but I might buy it after all.

Thanks.

Yours Sincerely,
Kelly John Sapergia
Show Host and Production Director
The Global Voice Internet Radio
http://www.theglobalvoice.info

Personal Website: http://www.ksapergia.net Business Website (KJS
Productions): http://www.kjsproductions.com Follow me on Twitter
at: kjsapergia






Re:

Arianna Sepulveda
 

The SAPI Version worked on right for me, except for saying the days of the week rather oddly. It would separate the first part of the day and the part that says day into two syllables, with a pause that sounded like a comma between them. It also said dates as numbers, for example, 1-11-12 would be said as one, eleven, twelve. And they would all be said as if there was a comma after each number. Those two things rather frustrated me. It also had a little bit of a tendency to sound like a comma-sounding pause when there was no comma, sort of like Eloquence does when it's running in embedded systems, like talking ATMs. This didn't happen often enough for me to really notice it, though. Either that or I just got used to it. It seems that it didn't happen often enough to be really annoying, I guess is what I'm saying.

I never did try the Code Factory adon, and I especially didn't want to, after hearing about all the problems people have been having with it.


Thanks,
Ari

That makes sense.  It would be completely illogical to have a demo version of a program perform badly and then to have it perform better once paid for.  It would also be illogical not to inform users of this in any way.  If the SAPI5 version works well, that is the one I would get.  I've seen conflicting reports on how it works in Windows 8 and Windows 10.  I've seen it claimed that SAPI5 doesn't work well in general in Windows 8 and 10 and that the Eloquence SAPI version lags and is not properly responsive because of this.  I have seen other messages stating that it works well from some people who have tried it.  All I can say is, try the demo if interested and I would be curious to see reports.  I think others would as well.  It works very well on my XP machine and I expect it will work well on my Windows 7 machine but I haven't tried it on that machine.  It's Windows 8 and 10 that I've seen contradictory statements about.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2016 5:49 AM
Subject: [nvda] Code Factory Eloquence and Vocalizer add on

Hello all,
I did purchase this add on today. Even once it is activated the
crackling and popping is still evident when using eloquence. I did
notice that they have
a few different voices for the vocalizer synth. I downloaded Oliver, a
UK voice, and it is not bad. I also downloaded a new female US english
voice called
Susan and she is not bad either.

Regards,
Greg Wocher



locked Re: This is the moderator speaking: Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code Factory

 

Pete wrote, "It's kind of like the whole e-mail thing with people wanting to use outlook express except people keep telling them to use Thunderbird or Microsoft outlook or window live mail or some thing like that."

This isn't a "freedom of choice" issue, it's a simple fact of life that certain programs, Outlook Express being one example, effectively cease to exist when official support ends.  No one is guaranteed, nor should they expect, that anything that they're using will be available in perpetuity.

I discourage people from using Outlook Express because the only existing versions available are hacks based on who knows what code base and with what vulnerabilities.  Since e-mail clients constantly interact with the internet this is a real concern.

While such a concern is not present regarding voice synthesis, things will come, and go, in that arena as well.  There is very likely going to come a point where you, for any you, have to let go of something you're used to because it is not being supported or carried forward.  Getting used to this, even though it's painful, is essential in the cyber world unless you want to drive yourself crazy.  I've seen a lot of people over the years who have expended far more energy trying to hold on to something than would have been expended to learn the new that's available to them.

Brian


locked Re: This is the moderator speaking: Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code Factory

mr. Chikodinaka Oguledo&mrs. AdonnihHappiness Obima Oguledo
 

any other voices I can use bsides the jaws voice. I need Somantha for
nvda &others like Jill &rail speak solo voices free ones

On 4/18/16, Pete <emac00@...> wrote:

Hi
I think the synthesizers that come with some audio / sound cards need
to be looked at by screen reader developers. Like I mentioned earlier
textassist is quite a good synthesizer. The thing people kept saying
sapi 3 was junk / old use sapi 4. It's kind of like the whole e-mail
thing with people wanting to use outlook express except people keep
telling them to use Thunderbird or Microsoft outlook or window live mail
or some thing like that. That kind of behavior doesn't encourage freedom
of choice. What if we were all told we would have to use Winkline for
the rest of our lives for a screen reader? May be now a days less
software gets bundled with sound cards plus most p c s have on board audio.
Pete
On 4/18/2016 6:17 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Ladies and gentlemen,

Until a few months ago, discussion of Eloquence wasn't allowed on this
list. This was relaxed last summer when Code Factory released Eloquence
add-on. Back then, Nimer and I (Nimer being the actual list owner) said
discussion of illegal version isn't still permitted.
At this point, it would be advisable to suspend Eloquence discussions for
a while. We cannot risk giving NVDA a slightly muddy reputation at this
important occasion: NVDA's tenth anniversary and NVDACon. Please don't
forget this: the reputation of a product, particularly a product that many
of you depends on, depends on what users say about the product and the
discussions surrounding it.
For those new to this list: I'm known for being generous. However, I'm
also known for being a volcano, especially if the integrity of the list or
the reputation of a product or a community is questioned. I'll not
activate moderation flag for anyone out of respect for everyone and for
newbies to get accustomed to this environment.
For our old friends: Yes, I am indeed serious, more serious now that we're
about to help NV Access celebrate NVDA's tenth birthday. Not only I'm
speaking on behalf of moderators, but as one of the planners of NVDACon
2016 (I am indeed the chair of the planning committee), I'd like to kindly
request that we care about reputation of NVDA, NV Access and this
community. These days, what gives me more stress isn't the question of who
will succeed me or success of NVDACon, but the reputation and future of
this community for months and years to come. What gives me more joy is to
see you all become folks who can think about what's going on and make
informed decisions (yes, that's the reason why I've proposed certain
proposals in the past).
In conclusion, I do know I will not be able to sleep tonight, but believe
I need to say this: NVDA community, specifically this forum, is facing a
crisis: misinformation abounds and passion trumps reason at times. We're
suffering from a disease called "misinformation" - what is illegal being
seen as legal, people not being informed as to what's available to them
when they need it, name calling at times and so forth (as I mentioned in
my blog, I will not accept name calling). Being passionate about something
is good, but it is better to think about what's going on before defending
one's arguments. In other words, contrary to what we've said about this
forum to the outside world, we're at times known for doing the opposite.
Lastly, in regards to free material: there is no such thing as free lunch.
I do need to say this in public: NVDA isn't technically free. For the
benefit of many, NVDA is made available as a free, open-source and
community-driven screen reader. But there are costs associated with this
project. Please stop now and imagine for a second: imagine a group of
developers who have decided to promote equal access to technology at no
additional costs, using their talents to give opportunities for someone
who lives in poverty somewhere. NVDA is more than a screen reader now:
it's a movement, and workers deserve their wages - support, encouragement,
opportunities and so on.
Thank you.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: Afrim [mailto:afrim.maja@...]
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2016 2:43 AM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code
Factory

Why do people talk about it? They can, and I don't consider it against the
rules of the list since the add-on, the alternative if you like to call it
is available and accessible from within the add-on list of NVDA.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 17, 2016, at 9:33 PM, mk360 <mk.seventhson@...> wrote:

Hi,

I can pay, but the first condition is that the paid versions works as
fine or better that the alternative, and as reviews as been said, that is
not the case.
However, I know that in the list we can't speak about that alternative,
so I don't understand why the people speak about it.

Regards,
mk.

El 17-04-2016 a las 8:04, Greg Wocher escribió:
Hello,
I want to give those of you who use the illegal eloquence add on some
food for thought. When you do it and proudly proclaim that you do, you
give NVDA and its users a bad reputation. I think I may purchase the
Code Factory add on later this afternoon from AT Guys and I will let you
all know if it gets rid of the choppiness.

Regards,
Greg Wocher

On 4/17/2016 5:32 AM, Peter Beasley wrote:
My sentiments exactly.

-----Original Message----- From: Afrim
Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2016 6:40 AM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code
Factory

I have been using the old add-on of eloquonce someone made, and I am
not going to pay for a program that does essentially the same thing.
The add-on I am talking about works so fast and reliably.
cheers.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 17, 2016, at 6:22 AM, Kelly Sapergia <ksapergia@...>
wrote:

Hi,

Recently, there was a discussion about alternative voices for NVDA,
such as Code Factory's add-on with Eloquence and Vocalizer. I
mentioned that when I tried this particular product, I noticed that
Eloquence sounded quite choppy compared to other screen readers and
other synths I have for NVDA on my machine running Windows 7.
I also never experienced this with Code Factory's SAPI 5
implementation.
Anyway, I got thinking about it this evening, and decided to do some
searching to see if anyone else was experiencing similar issues. I
found a thread about the add-on in the old NVDA list's archive, and
saw a message stating that the choppiness would go away once the
product was paid for. I was just wondering if this is indeed the case?
If yes, it's not what I'd consider the best way to limit a trial
version, but I might buy it after all.

Thanks.

Yours Sincerely,
Kelly John Sapergia
Show Host and Production Director
The Global Voice Internet Radio
http://www.theglobalvoice.info

Personal Website: http://www.ksapergia.net Business Website (KJS
Productions): http://www.kjsproductions.com Follow me on Twitter
at: kjsapergia








--
• Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.


locked Re: This is the moderator speaking: Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code Factory

Pete <emac00@...>
 

Hi
I think the synthesizers that come with some audio / sound cards need to be looked at by screen reader developers. Like I mentioned earlier textassist is quite a good synthesizer. The thing people kept saying sapi 3 was junk / old use sapi 4. It's kind of like the whole e-mail thing with people wanting to use outlook express except people keep telling them to use Thunderbird or Microsoft outlook or window live mail or some thing like that. That kind of behavior doesn't encourage freedom of choice. What if we were all told we would have to use Winkline for the rest of our lives for a screen reader? May be now a days less software gets bundled with sound cards plus most p c s have on board audio.
Pete

On 4/18/2016 6:17 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Ladies and gentlemen,

Until a few months ago, discussion of Eloquence wasn't allowed on this list. This was relaxed last summer when Code Factory released Eloquence add-on. Back then, Nimer and I (Nimer being the actual list owner) said discussion of illegal version isn't still permitted.
At this point, it would be advisable to suspend Eloquence discussions for a while. We cannot risk giving NVDA a slightly muddy reputation at this important occasion: NVDA's tenth anniversary and NVDACon. Please don't forget this: the reputation of a product, particularly a product that many of you depends on, depends on what users say about the product and the discussions surrounding it.
For those new to this list: I'm known for being generous. However, I'm also known for being a volcano, especially if the integrity of the list or the reputation of a product or a community is questioned. I'll not activate moderation flag for anyone out of respect for everyone and for newbies to get accustomed to this environment.
For our old friends: Yes, I am indeed serious, more serious now that we're about to help NV Access celebrate NVDA's tenth birthday. Not only I'm speaking on behalf of moderators, but as one of the planners of NVDACon 2016 (I am indeed the chair of the planning committee), I'd like to kindly request that we care about reputation of NVDA, NV Access and this community. These days, what gives me more stress isn't the question of who will succeed me or success of NVDACon, but the reputation and future of this community for months and years to come. What gives me more joy is to see you all become folks who can think about what's going on and make informed decisions (yes, that's the reason why I've proposed certain proposals in the past).
In conclusion, I do know I will not be able to sleep tonight, but believe I need to say this: NVDA community, specifically this forum, is facing a crisis: misinformation abounds and passion trumps reason at times. We're suffering from a disease called "misinformation" - what is illegal being seen as legal, people not being informed as to what's available to them when they need it, name calling at times and so forth (as I mentioned in my blog, I will not accept name calling). Being passionate about something is good, but it is better to think about what's going on before defending one's arguments. In other words, contrary to what we've said about this forum to the outside world, we're at times known for doing the opposite.
Lastly, in regards to free material: there is no such thing as free lunch. I do need to say this in public: NVDA isn't technically free. For the benefit of many, NVDA is made available as a free, open-source and community-driven screen reader. But there are costs associated with this project. Please stop now and imagine for a second: imagine a group of developers who have decided to promote equal access to technology at no additional costs, using their talents to give opportunities for someone who lives in poverty somewhere. NVDA is more than a screen reader now: it's a movement, and workers deserve their wages - support, encouragement, opportunities and so on.
Thank you.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: Afrim [mailto:afrim.maja@...]
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2016 2:43 AM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code Factory

Why do people talk about it? They can, and I don't consider it against the rules of the list since the add-on, the alternative if you like to call it is available and accessible from within the add-on list of NVDA.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 17, 2016, at 9:33 PM, mk360 <mk.seventhson@...> wrote:

Hi,

I can pay, but the first condition is that the paid versions works as fine or better that the alternative, and as reviews as been said, that is not the case.
However, I know that in the list we can't speak about that alternative, so I don't understand why the people speak about it.

Regards,
mk.

El 17-04-2016 a las 8:04, Greg Wocher escribió:
Hello,
I want to give those of you who use the illegal eloquence add on some food for thought. When you do it and proudly proclaim that you do, you give NVDA and its users a bad reputation. I think I may purchase the Code Factory add on later this afternoon from AT Guys and I will let you all know if it gets rid of the choppiness.

Regards,
Greg Wocher

On 4/17/2016 5:32 AM, Peter Beasley wrote:
My sentiments exactly.

-----Original Message----- From: Afrim
Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2016 6:40 AM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code
Factory

I have been using the old add-on of eloquonce someone made, and I am not going to pay for a program that does essentially the same thing. The add-on I am talking about works so fast and reliably.
cheers.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 17, 2016, at 6:22 AM, Kelly Sapergia <ksapergia@...> wrote:

Hi,

Recently, there was a discussion about alternative voices for NVDA, such as Code Factory's add-on with Eloquence and Vocalizer. I mentioned that when I tried this particular product, I noticed that Eloquence sounded quite choppy compared to other screen readers and other synths I have for NVDA on my machine running Windows 7.
I also never experienced this with Code Factory's SAPI 5 implementation.
Anyway, I got thinking about it this evening, and decided to do some searching to see if anyone else was experiencing similar issues. I found a thread about the add-on in the old NVDA list's archive, and saw a message stating that the choppiness would go away once the product was paid for. I was just wondering if this is indeed the case? If yes, it's not what I'd consider the best way to limit a trial version, but I might buy it after all.

Thanks.

Yours Sincerely,
Kelly John Sapergia
Show Host and Production Director
The Global Voice Internet Radio
http://www.theglobalvoice.info

Personal Website: http://www.ksapergia.net Business Website (KJS
Productions): http://www.kjsproductions.com Follow me on Twitter
at: kjsapergia





Re: Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code Factory

Pete <emac00@...>
 

Hi
I would look at software that comes with sound cards then buy a sound card that comes with a synthesizer. DEC talk sounding speech from textassist is quite good and if you have a SB16 sound card in your computer you can download the software for it. One problem, like I said earlier text assist is sapi 3. Jaws was able to use it in the past, I don't think window eyes was able to.
Pete

On 4/17/2016 12:40 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

As per list instructions, I will not promote, defend usage of or initiate discussion of the said 'illegal' version of Eloquence that is rather popular among users of all kinds. Without getting too political, my biggest beef with the situation is the the copyright/patent holders (after transfer numberous times--I forget who it is now) they ban unauthorized usage, but won't sell it via single or group license to anyone who doesn't already have it like Freedom Scientific and G.W. Micro/whatever the company name is for the new conglomerate.

The Code factory SAPI 5 is passable and I have indeed purchased a copy. I downloaded a demo of the legal version synthesizer from Code Factory and it has numerous issues--many of which have already been discussed on this list. When I e-mailed Code Factory a number of times about future updates and whether or not I could test them with a new demo for 7 days, I received no responses. (Maybe there's a language barrier--since the page is obviously written by non English speakers--but It's difficult to definitively determine.)

Just my 2 centavos.


On 4/17/2016 10:44 AM, Afrim wrote:
Hello Greg,
I see this point in a different prospective.
When you buy a product, what do you consider to be worth the price?
Do you know when was the last time Eloquence was updated? It's been many
years so far.
If eloquence was sold to code factory for a greater purpose in terms of
development and TTS progression, I would be more than happy to pay. Despite
being the best TTS and the most comprehensive voice amongst all, eloquence
actually faces many issues. The most important one is the group of crashing
word which crashes the eloquence so badly. Secondly, this add-on from code
factory is very unintegrated because there are few and probably no words in
the dictionary wordlist. For example, "Mr." is pronounced just M R or etc is
pronounced "etk". The list goes on and on and I promise that you will be
required to add a lot of abriviations which are used today.
When I see all these issues, I don't feel like buying it because the money
I'm spending is nearly being wasted.
I would rather prefer to buy another TTS like Ivona or acapela because I
have eloquence and it is working pretty good.
No bad reputation is created upon users of a free and open source program
because anyone who's good at programming can freely modify the application
in the way he wants. It's too easy, isn't it?

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Wocher [mailto:gwocher@...]
Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2016 1:05 PM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code Factory

Hello,
I want to give those of you who use the illegal eloquence add on some food
for thought. When you do it and proudly proclaim that you do, you give NVDA
and its users a bad reputation. I think I may purchase the Code Factory add
on later this afternoon from AT Guys and I will let you all know if it gets
rid of the choppiness.

Regards,
Greg Wocher

On 4/17/2016 5:32 AM, Peter Beasley wrote:
My sentiments exactly.

-----Original Message----- From: Afrim
Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2016 6:40 AM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code
Factory

I have been using the old add-on of eloquonce someone made, and I am
not going to pay for a program that does essentially the same thing.
The add-on I am talking about works so fast and reliably.
cheers.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 17, 2016, at 6:22 AM, Kelly Sapergia <ksapergia@...>
wrote:

Hi,

Recently, there was a discussion about alternative voices for NVDA,
such as Code Factory's add-on with Eloquence and Vocalizer. I
mentioned that when I tried this particular product, I noticed that
Eloquence sounded quite choppy compared to other screen readers and
other synths I have for NVDA on my machine running Windows 7.
I also never experienced this with Code Factory's SAPI 5 implementation.
Anyway, I got thinking about it this evening, and decided to do some
searching to see if anyone else was experiencing similar issues. I
found a thread about the add-on in the old NVDA list's archive, and
saw a message stating that the choppiness would go away once the
product was paid for. I was just wondering if this is indeed the
case? If yes, it's not what I'd consider the best way to limit a
trial version, but I might buy it after all.

Thanks.

Yours Sincerely,
Kelly John Sapergia
Show Host and Production Director
The Global Voice Internet Radio
http://www.theglobalvoice.info

Personal Website: http://www.ksapergia.net Business Website (KJS
Productions): http://www.kjsproductions.com Follow me on Twitter at:
kjsapergia












Re: Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code Factory

Pete <emac00@...>
 

Hi
The old sound blaster came with a synthesizer called textassist. To me textassist sounds like the DEC talk access 32 software but I think it uses sapi version 3.
My question is how difficult would it be to implement sapi 3 in nvda?
This might open up a whole other world of software synths for people to try and the DEC talk access 32 is good as is the SB16 textassist. Another software synthesizer is i b m v i a voice. It comes in i b m's home page reader along with a screen reader called desktop reader or some thing like that. v i a voice sounds like eloquence to me may be a bit more refined. P W web speak came with a software synthesizer called s o voice or sovoice. It wasn't bad either.
I still like espeak for the reason it reads fast and 7 or 8 hundred w p m it is more clear than DEC talk or eloquence to me any ways.
Pete

On 4/17/2016 12:22 AM, Kelly Sapergia wrote:
Hi,

Recently, there was a discussion about alternative voices for NVDA, such as Code Factory's add-on with Eloquence and Vocalizer. I mentioned that when I tried this particular product, I noticed that Eloquence sounded quite choppy compared to other screen readers and other synths I have for NVDA on my machine running Windows 7.
I also never experienced this with Code Factory's SAPI 5 implementation.
Anyway, I got thinking about it this evening, and decided to do some searching to see if anyone else was experiencing similar issues. I found a thread about the add-on in the old NVDA list's archive, and saw a message stating that the choppiness would go away once the product was paid for. I was just wondering if this is indeed the case? If yes, it's not what I'd consider the best way to limit a trial version, but I might buy it after all.

Thanks.

Yours Sincerely,
Kelly John Sapergia
Show Host and Production Director
The Global Voice Internet Radio
http://www.theglobalvoice.info

Personal Website: http://www.ksapergia.net
Business Website (KJS Productions): http://www.kjsproductions.com
Follow me on Twitter at: kjsapergia



Re: Code Factory Eloquence and Vocalizer add on

Arno Schuh
 

Hallo Wilfried,

bislang habe ich immer über den eigentlichen Bildschirm übersetzen lassen.
In das erste Fenster kopiere ich den originalen Text und gelange mit Tab ins zweite Fenster, wo die Übersetzung steht. Übrigens habe ich dabei festgestellt, dass offensichtlich doch wieder Google zum Übersetzen zur Verfügung steht.
Dann gehe ich weiter mit Tab zum ersten Play-Schalter und kann mir die Übersetzung anhören.
Man kann natürlich auch mit dem Screenreader im zweiten Fenster die Übersetzung lesen, aber die Sprache von Google ist wirklich nett.
Es gibt im Hotkey-Menü noch ganz unten einen unbelegten Menüpunkt, aber da habe ich noch nicht gesehen, wie man dem einen Hotkey zuweist. Über den wäre es wohl möglich, den übersetzten Inhalt der Zwischenablage vorlesen zu lassen.

Freundliche Grüße

Arno


Re: Reading Google Drive for Desktop settings and upload status with NVDA

 

Hello,
Going to start, clicking on Google Drive, then looking at the system tray works.
I was able to do everything then, thanks!
I just wish Google Drive would show up there when I clicked and open Google Drive, rather than on startup.
Thanks,

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 9:05 AM, Laz <laz@...> wrote:
My Google Drive shows up there just above Dropbox. Do you have Google
Drive set up to launch at computer start up?

On 4/17/16, Brandon Keith Biggs <brandonkeithbiggs@...> wrote:
> Hello,
> I have never seen a google drive icon in the notification area. This is
> where dropbox shows.
> Thanks,
>
>
> Brandon Keith Biggs <http://brandonkeithbiggs.com/>
>
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 5:02 PM, David Moore <jesusloves1966@...>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> You can check the status on your Google Drive up loads by pressing
>> windows+B to get to your notification area, and then down arrow until you
>> hear the status of your up loads. NVDA will tell you how much has up
>> loaded
>> to Google Drive, and how much is left. Take care.
>>
>>
>> *From:* Kevin Chao <kevinchao89@...>
>> *Sent:* Thursday, April 14, 2016 10:31 PM
>> *To:* nvda@groups.io
>> *Subject:* Re: [nvda] Reading Google Drive for Desktop settings and
>> upload status with NVDA
>>
>> Neither are possible, sorry...
>> On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 6:38 PM Brandon Keith Biggs <
>> brandonkeithbiggs@...> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> How can I read the Google Drive for Desktop settings using NVDA?
>>> Also, does anyone know how to check the status of uploading to Google
>>> Drive? I like to use Google Drive as if it was Dropbox.
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Brandon Keith Biggs <http://brandonkeithbiggs.com/>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>


--
Affordably priced Accessible Talking MP3 Players, Accessible phones,
Bluetooth devices, and accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@...
Phone: 727-498-0121
Skype: lazmesa
Personal Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/laz.mesa
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Talkingmp3players?_rdr





Re: Reading Google Drive for Desktop settings and upload status with NVDA

Laz
 

My Google Drive shows up there just above Dropbox. Do you have Google
Drive set up to launch at computer start up?

On 4/17/16, Brandon Keith Biggs <@brandonkeithbiggs> wrote:
Hello,
I have never seen a google drive icon in the notification area. This is
where dropbox shows.
Thanks,


Brandon Keith Biggs <http://brandonkeithbiggs.com/>

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 5:02 PM, David Moore <jesusloves1966@...>
wrote:

Hi,
You can check the status on your Google Drive up loads by pressing
windows+B to get to your notification area, and then down arrow until you
hear the status of your up loads. NVDA will tell you how much has up
loaded
to Google Drive, and how much is left. Take care.


*From:* Kevin Chao <kevinchao89@...>
*Sent:* Thursday, April 14, 2016 10:31 PM
*To:* nvda@groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] Reading Google Drive for Desktop settings and
upload status with NVDA

Neither are possible, sorry...
On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 6:38 PM Brandon Keith Biggs <
@brandonkeithbiggs> wrote:

Hello,
How can I read the Google Drive for Desktop settings using NVDA?
Also, does anyone know how to check the status of uploading to Google
Drive? I like to use Google Drive as if it was Dropbox.
Thanks,



Brandon Keith Biggs <http://brandonkeithbiggs.com/>

--
Affordably priced Accessible Talking MP3 Players, Accessible phones,
Bluetooth devices, and accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@...
Phone: 727-498-0121
Skype: lazmesa
Personal Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/laz.mesa
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Talkingmp3players?_rdr


Re: nvda and react os

Pete <emac00@...>
 

the react OS boots no sound, I'll have another go at it when I get sound working.
I am curious about what kind of errors nvda or react OSes will put out.

On 4/15/2016 1:12 AM, mattias wrote:
" It's really nice of m s to only provide it to businesses and not end users. "
have ms even cared about end users?
no
money money money

Den 2016-04-14 kl. 02:50, skrev Pete:

two pluses are react o s can run from live cd or can be installed to hard drive.
It is open source so free to use like nvda.
The nvda screen reader paired up with a bootable windows like os on a disk or u s b would come in handy.
Then again react o s would have to be able to run windows setup.
A bootable windows system on a flash or cd rom with speech is available from the enterprise edition of windows 8.1 and up I think.
It is called windows to go and installs to a u s b drive.
It's really nice of m s to only provide it to businesses and not end users.
Pete
On 4/11/2016 9:32 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Well it would be good if react os would become accessible.
One thing that is a driving force for me is it will run windows programs and therefore games and screen readers probably though thats not the only thing.
With the rise of ms own account system, and later oses such as windows 8x and 10 a lot of things we have taken for granted are on the move or going out.
The desktop app is on the way out, and while I know those of us that have embraced cross platform and touch tablets are round and getting more commenplace there are still those I'd imagine like me that have never changed.
I for example would still be quite happy with an xp like interface, or a win7 like interface for windows and office and everything else without the crazy ribbon system wishfull as it currently is.
And in some way being I came round the time dos was still king I sometimes want to return to the simple times where your os was just a basic crappy box where you shoved apps on.
As it is, I have used the desktop so much the cloud and all the online apps are something I have never been born into and I see no reason bar the obvious why I would want to change now.
In fact I see no reason from a user standpoint for what I do to even upgrade from xp though I do like the newer 7 interface.
As an os a windows 10 core is nice but even so I see no need for the extra features.
At the same time I wouldn't mind staying with a windows like os, as while yes there is linux I have to deal with windows and windows is what I grew up mostly with.
Its why I have a simbian cell now and will for some time.
And its probably why I have windows 7 and others in my immediate family will for the future do also.
Every time I try to get the nerve to upgrade I and my family have found it harder and harder to upgrade an os.
windows 3x to 95 was a no brainer.
as was 95 to 98 and then from 98 to xp.
But that is where it stuck, I saw no need to go vista.
And if xp hadn't gone out of support I wouldn't have left that.
I am happy I went to 7 though.
However yet again another sticking point, I see no need to ever upgrade again.
And with my dad retiring at the end of next month, the drive to have the latest legal office program and latest legal os is greatly diminished.
Now thats not going to mean I won't upgrade, or that I will pirate the next windows and office but its going to get just that bit harder to move on to use something I wouldn't ever need.
Even if its true I would probably be fine with it afterward.
Now if I could buy an os core and use whatever interface I want and whatever feature set and take bits and bobs of both it wouldn't matter a dime but I have to take it or leave it and that really starts to put me in a position especially now my funds will be more reduced.
Its going to become a have to rather than like to.
Or to put it another way, a if it works and I don't loose my data then I won't.
But like all things react os may never get there.



On 12/04/2016 11:18 a.m., Pete wrote:

Hi
I keep checking on the react os project. It is up 04.40 now.
So far in accessibility they came up with a built in magnifier and
looks like some kind of access wizard.
I think they need blind computer users to show an interest in it. May
be they will get it accessible.
The read me is belo.
---
========================
ReactOS™ Version 0.4.x
Updated January 5, 2016
========================

1. What is ReactOS?
-------------------

ReactOS™ is an Open Source effort to develop a quality operating system
that is
compatible with applications and drivers written for the Microsoft®
Windows™ NT
family of operating systems (NT4, 2000, XP, 2003, Vista, Seven).

More information is available at: http://www.reactos.org


2. Relationship with the WINE project
-------------------------------------

ReactOS has always intended to work with the WINE project to share as much
programming effort as possible. This mainly concerns User Mode DLLs and
still happens to a degree today. Other areas of cooperation lie in
applications and testing suites.


3. Future compatibility
-----------------------

The ReactOS project, although currently focused on Windows Server 2003
compatibility, is always keeping an eye toward compatibility with
Windows Vista and future Windows NT releases.


4. Supporting other System Applications
---------------------------------------

The Windows NT architecture allows for subsystems, as does the ReactOS
architecture. A subsystem is an implementation of the APIs of another
operating system, allowing ReactOS to run applications from other systems.
We are already looking at subsystems for: Java, OS/2, and DOS and possibly
others in the future.


5. Tutorials
------------

Developer and User Tutorials: http://www.reactos.org/wiki

The tutorials contain more information on the project, compiling and
testing
ReactOS - amongst other topics. Contributors to the project are always
welcome.


6. Author
---------

This document was written by Jason Filby (jasonfilby@...).

---
Thanks!
Pete



.







Re: TWBlue stopped working, please help?

Roger Stewart
 

You may have encountered a bug in the installer. For some odd reason, it puts in a couple of characters after the ending quotation mark after the ".exe" in the path line in the desktop shortcut. Just right click or alt enter on the TW Blue shortcut and tab to you get to the target line. Go to the very end of that line and carefully delete out anything after the final quotation mark after the exe but be sure to leave that ending quotation mark and then save it. It should work properly then.

Hope this helps.

Roger

On 4/18/2016 6:58 AM, Lisa P Geibel wrote:
Hi Kevin,
Just tried this and nothing happened again. It's like the icon is there, but the computer has no clue what it's supposed to do when you hit enter on it or try to run it as administrator.

Lisa
E-Mail: lisapgeibel429@...
Facebook: http://facebook.com/ldporter1
Twitter: http://twitter.com/LisaLisa429
Philmore box shared with hubby:
773-572-7897
God bless everyone!!!

On 4/18/16 6:34 AM, Kevin Cussick via Groups.io wrote:
No, just make a fresh short cut to the exe file and it should run. I
have had this as well on windows10 and this for some reason seems to fix
it.

On 18/04/2016 04:34, Arlene wrote:
Hi there: If that was me. I'd just uninstall that program. It's up to
you what you want to do with it. Someone else on the list can better
tell you. I'm saying if that's me I'd get rid of the program.

-----Original Message-----
From: Lisa P Geibel [mailto:lisapgeibel429@...]
Sent: April-17-16 8:23 PM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: [nvda] TWBlue stopped working, please help?

Hi,
I know I've heard about people with this program and it not working. I
even went through the time when extra characters were added to the
twblue.exe file, but this is not the case now. We've uninstalled and
reinstalled the latest version, but still nothing. Restarted the
computer and still nothing. Tried hitting enter on the desktop icon for
the program, tried running it as administrator with the context key,
tried loading it from the twblue.exe icon in the program files folder
and still nothing. Does anyone have any ideas or should we really say a
final farewell to this great program? We're running Windows 10 with the
latest build of NVDA and also have the latest version of JAWS, but it
won't work that way either. Any ideas or help would be greatly
appreciated? Thanks.