Date   
nvda and volume change

Joe Paton
 

Good Afternoon,
When running NVDA windows 10 latest update, the volume on the second sound device, which is not used by nvda, is reduced by about ninety per cent almost not useable.

This is not set as the default device, I don't see why nvda should even look at this device.

This sound reduction does not happen with other screen readers.

any ideas please? most welcome.

Joe

Re: Mastering Github with a screen reader

Vincent Le Goff
 

Hi George,


That might sound a bit arbitrary and perhaps even futile, but I believe the big stepping stone for Learning Github is to learn Git itself.  What would Github be without it?  Plus, learning Git actually helps in other platforms (being only one of several platforms using Git).  That being the case, I must admit I learned Git and Github from the command line.  I don't like using IDEs myself, so I actually put as much as possible in my command line, instead of in any IDE.  Thus, I came across and installed github/hub (https://github.com/github/hub) which helps integrate Github manipulation into the Git command-line utility.  And that's the one I mostly use now.


What this has to do with a screen reader is that the command-line interface will most likely be more accessible than websites or desktop applications, and allow for more operations.  Git is admittedly a bit complicated, though lots of good resources exist out there to understand how it can be used and why use it in this way.  When it comes to Git courses, you will find a lot of useful resources and, because they work in the console, you will have no trouble following the instructions and need no special instructio in regard to any screen reader (besides navigation in the console itself).  I have used other Version Control Systems which offer more simple commands and actions, but have comeback to Git in the end and took the time I needed to understand how it worked.  Like any good tool, Git offers a lot of functionalities and most of them I'll never use, or know how to use, I'm sure.  On the other hand, if I'm stuck, a quick search or question usually gives me the proper syntax and I get extra bonuses that will remain, I believe, beyond the power of any desktop application.  So my advise would be to learn the command-line interface (Git, to be sure, being different from Github, and Github/hub enhancing the Git command-line tool to communicate with Github platform).  Sounds a bit confusing?


Git: a Control Version System (CVS), a software designed to keep track of a project, including changes in individual files, different versions and different working copies.

Github: a platform using Git, hosting Git projects and allowing a lot (but not all of) Git actions through its web interface.

Github/hub (https://github.com/github/hub): a command-line tool that adds to Git to allow Github actions from the command-line (like creating a pull request for instance).


HTH,


Vincent

On 10/6/2019 3:41 AM, George Kerscher wrote:

Hello NVDA folks,

 

As you may know, Microsoft acquired Github a few years ago. Today Github has become an important tool in many sectors of technology.

 

I must admit that I have not mastered Github yet, but I want to, and I bet a lot of people on this list are in the same position.

 

In my communications with friends working at Microsoft, I have advocated for Microsoft Accessibility to step up and sponsor a training program for persons with disabilities to master Github.

 

Perhaps something already exist, but I have not found it. There was a start at:

https://bats.fyi/2016/08/19/mastering-github-with-a-screen-reader-part-1/

 

but there was no part 2.

 

And I have found some books at Bookshare, but these are not geared to the screen reader user.

 

I hope this will start a thread that can help us collect resources and best practices surrounding Github. What tools do people use and how did those that are successful  learn to master Github?

 

Best

George

 

add

 

George Kerscher Ph.D.

-In our Information Age, access to information is a fundamental human right.

Chief Innovations Officer, DAISY Consortium

http://www.daisy.org

Senior Advisor, Global Literacy, Benetech

http://www.benetech.org

President, International Digital Publishing Forum (IDPF)

http://www.idpf.org

Member of the National Museum and Library Services  Board (IMLS)

http://www.imls.gov

Chair Steering Council Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI), a division of the W3C

http://www.w3c.org/wai

Phone: +1 406/549-4687

Cell:+1 406/544-2466

Email: kerscher@...

 

Re: Someone knows a program that integrates Facebookaccessible?

David Griffith
 

 

The Accessibility Central website is reporting a 502 bad gateway message here.

I thought you would like to know.

David Griffith

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: hurrikennyandopo ...
Sent: 06 October 2019 20:21
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Someone knows a program that integrates Facebookaccessible?

 

Hi

 

The main face book web site is accessible with nvda. apart from changing from say browse mode to focus mode and back some times to see other menus that appear you can use also quick navigation keys with nvda that are supported.

 

I do have a tutorial on my website that shows nvda been used on it plus I think there is also a written one with shortcuts for it etc.

 

The link to where they are hosted or linked to is http://accessibilitycentral.net/nvda%20tutorials%20for%20other%20programs.html

 

when you get to it you will need to jump down by headings until you get to the one for face book.

 

Gene nz

 

On 4/10/2019 6:27 AM, Rémy Ruiz wrote:

Hi everybody,

Someone knows a program that integrates Facebook accessible.

I do not wish Use the facebook page for mobiles.


Thank you.

Cheers.

Rémy



--

Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related materials at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net

To find out which library networks in New Zealand have a copy of the NVDA screen reader on them and there library locations please go to http://www.accessibilitycentral.net/nz%20libraries%20with%20nvda.html
To find a NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.


 

Re: Nvda stillcrashes with thunder bird

 

thanks for your kindness.
yes, most people believe that the last version is the best version!
but i wish one version forever.
and after five years searching, finally i found the best version of
firefox for myself to keep and use it forever!
God bless you!

On 10/6/19, Governor staten <@Govsta> wrote:
I'm familiar with your situation. Very few, if any, have that situation.



------------------------------------------------------------------------


On 10/5/2019 11:49 PM, zahra wrote:
i always keep one favorite version of my favorite programs and use
them forever and never update them.
one version is enough for me forever.
i have installer as well as link for downloading for the best versions
of my favorite programs.

On 10/6/19, Governor staten <@Govsta> wrote:
In the case of running a very old operating system, your idea is
sensible. If you're running the latest operating system, why would you
run something that will become obsolete and have security bugs? It is
ultimately easier in the long run to fix whatever the issues may be.



------------------------------------------------------------------------


On 10/5/2019 10:14 PM, zahra wrote:
if you are satisfied with one particular version of thunderbird,
do the following.

1. download thunderbird your favorite version from this link.
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/
2, when you want to install it, select custom setup and then uncheck
maintenance service.
3. after the installation is completed, in thunderbird options,
advance, update, set thunderbird to never check for update!
i wish that i could help you and now, you can use your favorite
version without any crash.

On 10/5/19, brian <bsackrider55@...> wrote:
I had my thunder bird set to never check for updates but it updated to
the latest version anyway. It still stops reading and I have to
restart
nvda if I can. Then when I go back in to thunder bird it says thunder
bird is not responding. This is the only program that crashes nvda.
I
truly hope that somone is working on a fix for this problem. It makes
thunder bird usless. This is the best email program I have found yet.
I
will never go back to windows live mail because I could not send mail
or
open links in messages. I have nvda 2019.2 and windows 19.3 this
problem just keeps on getting worse.I did not care for the mail app
there is no way to import my address book from thunder bird.

Brian Sackrider







--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Re: Learning other programs besides NVDA

Arlene
 

Oh yes, wen I tried to use total record I could do some things but I could not do much because you had a limited free trial then you had to pay for it.

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Shaun Everiss
Sent: October 6, 2019 9:52 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] music production with NVDA

 

Hmph.

It was the other way at university for me.

It was before nvda, I was forced to use jaws, and while I was tought the keyboard shortcuts for word and some stuff, the person I had for excell didn't know how to teach me, so used the mouse to do everything.

So, I past the course on theory alone, knowing absolutely squat about what to do because someone did everything because they didn't know how to teach me.

In contrast the aid I had for my word classes, did all excercises a step ahead and looked up the list of shortcuts and had it in front of him so I could be properly instructed on what to press.

 

 

On 7/10/2019 4:06 pm, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

And frankly that is the best way to learn. I learn sound forge on my own, office 2009 o was it 2010 on my own as my teacher didn't know what he was doing, I taught him system access because jaws went barf. So yeah. I did mean post the question on rwp but we do not do much hand holding there as there are tools there for you to get your info from. They are in the footer of every single message, which reminds me I need to get the latest osara update from there.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. This is also our libsyn page as well.
For stuff we sell, mac training materials and  tutorials go here.
and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

Our telegram channel is also a good place for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch and mixer. Thanks Restream staff.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 6 Oct 2019, at 15:25, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:

That’s right, Molly. I had a teacher who was like that years ago when I was going to the program called the regional occupation program. She would just hand us the tapes with lessons and would tell us to not ask for help even if we got stuck on something. Eventually it got to the point where I didn’t ask for help anymore even if I really got stuck on something. I did everything myself even if it caused me to have headaches from trying so hard.

 

Rosemarie

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: molly the blind tech lover
Sent: Sunday, October 6, 2019 3:13 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] music production with NVDA

 

I think telling someone to just google it defeats the purpose of a mailing list.  what would be the point of asking questions if all someone is told to look up the answer? It  benefits no one

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rosemarie Chavarria
Sent: Sunday, October 6, 2019 6:03 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] music production with NVDA

 

Amen, Orlando. One of these days she’ll need help with something and I wonder how she’ll feel if somebody else tells her something like “look upp the answer for yourself” without giving her the tools to search. If a question is asked repeatedly, then that’s a different story.

 

Rosemarie

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Orlando Enrique Fiol via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, October 6, 2019 2:48 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] music production with NVDA

 

At 04:14 PM 10/5/2019, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

>We are here to help one another, yes, however just like the franchise

>I'm in they do not hand hold, not all the time. You are after week 2 on

>your own. So yeah on the reaper list we will hold your  hand and give

>you the tools but after that we don't hand hold if you are asking basic

>questions such as How do I go from track 1 to track two. We gave you the

>tools,  now use them.

 

It would be easier not to respond to such people with elementary

questions than make them feel stupid for asking. We've talked about

this on other lists and you just don't get it. Everyone knows they

can Google something; responding to their requests telling them to

Google contributes absolutely nothing; I wish you'd stop doing that.

 

 

Orlando Enrique Fiol

Ph.D. in Music Theory

University of Pennsylvania: November, 2018

Professional Pianist/Keyboardist, Percussionist, Arranger, Performer

and Pedagogue

Home: (980) 585-1516

Mobile: (267) 971-7090

Email: ofiol@...        

 

 

 

 

 

 

locked Re: music production with NVDA

Orlando Enrique Fiol
 

At 11:06 PM 10/6/2019, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
And frankly that is the best way to learn. I learn sound forge on my
own, office 2009 o was it 2010 on my own as my teacher didn't know what
he was doing. I taught him system access because jaws went barf. So

I too taught myself everything on Windows on my own, without any formal classes.I began with Windows 95, then 98 and 2000, then XP, where I stayed until Windows 8 came out, at which point I upgraded to 7. I decided to update to Windows 10 as soon as it was released and have never regretted it.
I've taught myself Cakewalk, Sonar, Lime, Sound Forge, Kurzweil 1000, Eudora, Word, etc. So, it's not that I personally enjoy hand holding. I'm the type of learner who assimilates concepts more quickly than specific instructions. And in fact, when people need step-by-step instructions, I often don't post because I can't reproduce what I do quite quickly and don't have the time to go through the paces, noting down every key press and spoken message.
Still, I wholeheartedly defend those who want and need lots of hand holding on email lists. I also think it's a good idea for people with lots of questions to take note of whose responses they like and email them privately, which reduces list traffic.
Orlando

locked Re: music production with NVDA

 

Hmph.

It was the other way at university for me.

It was before nvda, I was forced to use jaws, and while I was tought the keyboard shortcuts for word and some stuff, the person I had for excell didn't know how to teach me, so used the mouse to do everything.

So, I past the course on theory alone, knowing absolutely squat about what to do because someone did everything because they didn't know how to teach me.

In contrast the aid I had for my word classes, did all excercises a step ahead and looked up the list of shortcuts and had it in front of him so I could be properly instructed on what to press.



On 7/10/2019 4:06 pm, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

And frankly that is the best way to learn. I learn sound forge on my own, office 2009 o was it 2010 on my own as my teacher didn't know what he was doing, I taught him system access because jaws went barf. So yeah. I did mean post the question on rwp but we do not do much hand holding there as there are tools there for you to get your info from. They are in the footer of every single message, which reminds me I need to get the latest osara update from there.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. This is also our libsyn page as well.
For stuff we sell, mac training materials and  tutorials go here.
and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

Our telegram channel is also a good place for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch and mixer. Thanks Restream staff.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 6 Oct 2019, at 15:25, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:

That’s right, Molly. I had a teacher who was like that years ago when I was going to the program called the regional occupation program. She would just hand us the tapes with lessons and would tell us to not ask for help even if we got stuck on something. Eventually it got to the point where I didn’t ask for help anymore even if I really got stuck on something. I did everything myself even if it caused me to have headaches from trying so hard.

 

Rosemarie

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: molly the blind tech lover
Sent: Sunday, October 6, 2019 3:13 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] music production with NVDA

 

I think telling someone to just google it defeats the purpose of a mailing list.  what would be the point of asking questions if all someone is told to look up the answer? It  benefits no one

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rosemarie Chavarria
Sent: Sunday, October 6, 2019 6:03 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] music production with NVDA

 

Amen, Orlando. One of these days she’ll need help with something and I wonder how she’ll feel if somebody else tells her something like “look upp the answer for yourself” without giving her the tools to search. If a question is asked repeatedly, then that’s a different story.

 

Rosemarie

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Orlando Enrique Fiol via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, October 6, 2019 2:48 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] music production with NVDA

 

At 04:14 PM 10/5/2019, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

>We are here to help one another, yes, however just like the franchise

>I'm in they do not hand hold, not all the time. You are after week 2 on

>your own. So yeah on the reaper list we will hold your  hand and give

>you the tools but after that we don't hand hold if you are asking basic

>questions such as How do I go from track 1 to track two. We gave you the

>tools,  now use them.

 

It would be easier not to respond to such people with elementary

questions than make them feel stupid for asking. We've talked about

this on other lists and you just don't get it. Everyone knows they

can Google something; responding to their requests telling them to

Google contributes absolutely nothing; I wish you'd stop doing that.

 

 

Orlando Enrique Fiol

Ph.D. in Music Theory

University of Pennsylvania: November, 2018

Professional Pianist/Keyboardist, Percussionist, Arranger, Performer

and Pedagogue

Home: (980) 585-1516

Mobile: (267) 971-7090

Email: ofiol@...        

 

 

 

 

 

locked Re: music production with NVDA

Arlene
 

Oh Sarah! Did you have to swear? I did not like system access! Someone gave us  a key to use it. I did not like it. You can read that person’s mail and all matter of stuff. I had trouble with it from the get go. I tried the free version before that person gave me his key. I uninstalled system access. Not thinking that he’d give me his key. I did not want it. But he would not hear it.  I didn’t want it because I had trouble with it when I wanted to try it for free. When he gave me his key. My computer remembered my bad key. It would not take my friend’s key but somehow he and my room mate got it going. That was why I did not want his key.  I too tried sound forge with my old Compaq xp box.  Just as I was getting the nac to it it decided to slow down so bad I had to give that computer to a sighted person. Then I got my 7 box. I did try total recorder for a free trial but there were things I could not do not until you paid for it.  My old 7 box came with it.

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Sarah k Alawami
Sent: October 6, 2019 8:06 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] music production with NVDA

 

And frankly that is the best way to learn. I learn sound forge on my own, office 2009 o was it 2010 on my own as my teacher didn't know what he was doing, I taught him system access because jaws went barf. So yeah. I did mean post the question on rwp but we do not do much hand holding there as there are tools there for you to get your info from. They are in the footer of every single message, which reminds me I need to get the latest osara update from there.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. This is also our libsyn page as well.
For stuff we sell, mac training materials and  tutorials go here.
and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

Our telegram channel is also a good place for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch and mixer. Thanks Restream staff.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 6 Oct 2019, at 15:25, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:

That’s right, Molly. I had a teacher who was like that years ago when I was going to the program called the regional occupation program. She would just hand us the tapes with lessons and would tell us to not ask for help even if we got stuck on something. Eventually it got to the point where I didn’t ask for help anymore even if I really got stuck on something. I did everything myself even if it caused me to have headaches from trying so hard.

 

Rosemarie

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: molly the blind tech lover
Sent: Sunday, October 6, 2019 3:13 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] music production with NVDA

 

I think telling someone to just google it defeats the purpose of a mailing list.  what would be the point of asking questions if all someone is told to look up the answer? It  benefits no one

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rosemarie Chavarria
Sent: Sunday, October 6, 2019 6:03 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] music production with NVDA

 

Amen, Orlando. One of these days she’ll need help with something and I wonder how she’ll feel if somebody else tells her something like “look upp the answer for yourself” without giving her the tools to search. If a question is asked repeatedly, then that’s a different story.

 

Rosemarie

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Orlando Enrique Fiol via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, October 6, 2019 2:48 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] music production with NVDA

 

At 04:14 PM 10/5/2019, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

>We are here to help one another, yes, however just like the franchise

>I'm in they do not hand hold, not all the time. You are after week 2 on

>your own. So yeah on the reaper list we will hold your  hand and give

>you the tools but after that we don't hand hold if you are asking basic

>questions such as How do I go from track 1 to track two. We gave you the

>tools,  now use them.

 

It would be easier not to respond to such people with elementary

questions than make them feel stupid for asking. We've talked about

this on other lists and you just don't get it. Everyone knows they

can Google something; responding to their requests telling them to

Google contributes absolutely nothing; I wish you'd stop doing that.

 

 

Orlando Enrique Fiol

Ph.D. in Music Theory

University of Pennsylvania: November, 2018

Professional Pianist/Keyboardist, Percussionist, Arranger, Performer

and Pedagogue

Home: (980) 585-1516

Mobile: (267) 971-7090

Email: ofiol@...        

 

 

 

 

 

 

locked Re: music production with NVDA

Orlando Enrique Fiol
 

At 06:37 PM 10/6/2019, Brian Vogel wrote:
That depends entirely on what, exactly, is being asked.? ? This group
(and many others like it) has hundreds of members, and each and every
message is an imposition on those other members' time.
Those members who are very pressed for time need not respond. They can even delete emails solely based on their subjects.

There are all sorts of questions where it takes longer to type the
message for the list than it would to do a web search, and I'm talking
for commonly asked questions.? Asking a question on a group like this
along the lines of, "What's the keyboard shortcut in MS-Word to make
text bold?," deserves a, "Why on earth did you not do a search for
this?"? [It would also be off-topic, but I'm trying to give an
illustration of the sort of question where irritation is a perfectly
valid reaction when the answer can be found faster, and more easily,
without asking it on a mailing list.]
That again depends on how the original poster learns best and what they're seeking in terms of verbal interaction from the list. Most people today understand that email list posts won't return answers immediately, and the answers may not be complete. They're hoping for someone with time and interest to engage with them and orient them in the right direction, which is a different way of conveying information than one typically finds on the internet.

There's also the "who's asking" factor, too.? Someone who's a newbie
(to anything) can and should get a lot more slack than those who are
known to have a significant knowledge base and level of sophistication.
And yet, I've seen newbies humiliated on lists like these for asking very basic questions and needing lots of hand holding. As a previous poster pointed out, hand holding is the entire purpose of an email list, since archival information can be found on the web.


Orlando Enrique Fiol

locked Re: music production with NVDA

Arlene
 

Y Sarah, Arlene here: Does any screen reader mumble in the back ground when you use Reaper?  I’d like to learn how to record from the web but I had a unreliable computer.  Now that I got this one. I forget this one is more reliable.  If I were to use Reaper will NVDA or jaws mumble in the back ground like any screen reader does wen using audacity.

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Sarah k Alawami
Sent: October 6, 2019 8:10 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] music production with NVDA

 

Oh don't worry I'm used to it. In fact I can if I need to fire back with as much or more venom if i have to. Excuse typos. I have keys falling off of my keyboard. As a teacher I've ben yelled at worse, a lot worse. Lol! I've also done worse yelling especially if a student never practices for a month. Woops, so yeah don't worry about it.

Blessings

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. This is also our libsyn page as well.
For stuff we sell, mac training materials and  tutorials go here.
and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

Our telegram channel is also a good place for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch and mixer. Thanks Restream staff.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 6 Oct 2019, at 16:29, molly the blind tech lover wrote:

Actually I was the one who made that statement.

I understand your point. Some questions are easier to answer by doing a google search.  

Also, Sorry Sarah, for yelling at you. It was wrong of me, when you were just trying to be helpful, and I was not being respectful.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Sunday, October 6, 2019 6:37 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] music production with NVDA

 

On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 06:25 PM, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:

I think telling someone to just google it defeats the purpose of a mailing list.

That depends entirely on what, exactly, is being asked.   This group (and many others like it) has hundreds of members, and each and every message is an imposition on those other members' time.

There are all sorts of questions where it takes longer to type the message for the list than it would to do a web search, and I'm talking for commonly asked questions.  Asking a question on a group like this along the lines of, "What's the keyboard shortcut in MS-Word to make text bold?," deserves a, "Why on earth did you not do a search for this?"  [It would also be off-topic, but I'm trying to give an illustration of the sort of question where irritation is a perfectly valid reaction when the answer can be found faster, and more easily, without asking it on a mailing list.]

There's also the "who's asking" factor, too.  Someone who's a newbie (to anything) can and should get a lot more slack than those who are known to have a significant knowledge base and level of sophistication.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1903, Build 18362  

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

 

 

 

locked Re: music production with NVDA

Rosemarie Chavarria
 

Hi, Sarah,

 

I too would like to apologize for my unkind words. I’ve done my share of yelling from time to time too. In fact, tonight I came very close to yelling at a friend for not knowing how to download stuff after having used a computer for over 20 years. I won’t go into details about it because I’d be going off topic here. Again, my sincerest apology for my actions.

 

Rosemarie

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: molly the blind tech lover
Sent: Sunday, October 6, 2019 9:06 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] music production with NVDA

 

I like that about you, Sarah. The fact you can just  shake it off. I wish I was more like you in that regard. Anyway, my sincerest apologies.    

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sarah k Alawami
Sent: Sunday, October 6, 2019 11:11 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] music production with NVDA

 

Oh don't worry I'm used to it. In fact I can if I need to fire back with as much or more venom if i have to. Excuse typos. I have keys falling off of my keyboard. As a teacher I've ben yelled at worse, a lot worse. Lol! I've also done worse yelling especially if a student never practices for a month. Woops, so yeah don't worry about it.

Blessings

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. This is also our libsyn page as well.
For stuff we sell, mac training materials and  tutorials go here.
and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

Our telegram channel is also a good place for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch and mixer. Thanks Restream staff.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 6 Oct 2019, at 16:29, molly the blind tech lover wrote:

Actually I was the one who made that statement.

I understand your point. Some questions are easier to answer by doing a google search.  

Also, Sorry Sarah, for yelling at you. It was wrong of me, when you were just trying to be helpful, and I was not being respectful.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Sunday, October 6, 2019 6:37 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] music production with NVDA

 

On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 06:25 PM, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:

I think telling someone to just google it defeats the purpose of a mailing list.

That depends entirely on what, exactly, is being asked.   This group (and many others like it) has hundreds of members, and each and every message is an imposition on those other members' time.

There are all sorts of questions where it takes longer to type the message for the list than it would to do a web search, and I'm talking for commonly asked questions.  Asking a question on a group like this along the lines of, "What's the keyboard shortcut in MS-Word to make text bold?," deserves a, "Why on earth did you not do a search for this?"  [It would also be off-topic, but I'm trying to give an illustration of the sort of question where irritation is a perfectly valid reaction when the answer can be found faster, and more easily, without asking it on a mailing list.]

There's also the "who's asking" factor, too.  Someone who's a newbie (to anything) can and should get a lot more slack than those who are known to have a significant knowledge base and level of sophistication.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1903, Build 18362  

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

 

 

 

locked Re: music production with NVDA

molly the blind tech lover
 

I like that about you, Sarah. The fact you can just  shake it off. I wish I was more like you in that regard. Anyway, my sincerest apologies.    

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sarah k Alawami
Sent: Sunday, October 6, 2019 11:11 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] music production with NVDA

 

Oh don't worry I'm used to it. In fact I can if I need to fire back with as much or more venom if i have to. Excuse typos. I have keys falling off of my keyboard. As a teacher I've ben yelled at worse, a lot worse. Lol! I've also done worse yelling especially if a student never practices for a month. Woops, so yeah don't worry about it.

Blessings

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. This is also our libsyn page as well.
For stuff we sell, mac training materials and  tutorials go here.
and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

Our telegram channel is also a good place for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch and mixer. Thanks Restream staff.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 6 Oct 2019, at 16:29, molly the blind tech lover wrote:

Actually I was the one who made that statement.

I understand your point. Some questions are easier to answer by doing a google search.  

Also, Sorry Sarah, for yelling at you. It was wrong of me, when you were just trying to be helpful, and I was not being respectful.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Sunday, October 6, 2019 6:37 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] music production with NVDA

 

On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 06:25 PM, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:

I think telling someone to just google it defeats the purpose of a mailing list.

That depends entirely on what, exactly, is being asked.   This group (and many others like it) has hundreds of members, and each and every message is an imposition on those other members' time.

There are all sorts of questions where it takes longer to type the message for the list than it would to do a web search, and I'm talking for commonly asked questions.  Asking a question on a group like this along the lines of, "What's the keyboard shortcut in MS-Word to make text bold?," deserves a, "Why on earth did you not do a search for this?"  [It would also be off-topic, but I'm trying to give an illustration of the sort of question where irritation is a perfectly valid reaction when the answer can be found faster, and more easily, without asking it on a mailing list.]

There's also the "who's asking" factor, too.  Someone who's a newbie (to anything) can and should get a lot more slack than those who are known to have a significant knowledge base and level of sophistication.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1903, Build 18362  

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

 

 

Windows 10 App Essentials 19.10.1 released with Windows Search improvements and fixes #addonrelease

 

Hi all,

 

Windows 10 App Essentials 19.10.1 is now available. This release is a huge one due to numerous fixes and improvements to Windows Search experience, particularly for people running Version 1903 and later (including upcoming 1909). Key changes include:

 

  • In Start menu, NVDA will no longer say “blank” when you press up or down arrow to open all apps view.
  • NVDA will no longer announce search results twice under some circumstances.
  • NVDA will present details of search results more consistently in braille.
  • In Version 1909’s File Explorer, when performing searches via Windows Search (Control+E), NVDA will no longer announce “suggestions” in braille.
  • In Version 1909’s File Explorer/Windows Search, improved performance when announcing search count presented by Windows.
  • Due to UI redesign, workarounds in place to recognize context menu items for Start menu entries is no longer included (context menu items are recognized as a list).
  • Due to rarity of it, workarounds to suppress duplicate name and description announcements for certain Start menu search results has been removed (mostly affects older feature updates but is becoming rare).

 

Note: whenever I say Version 1909, it also applies to 20H1 Insider Preview builds unless otherwise specified.

 

Cheers,

Joseph

Re: Directing NVDA output to a particular audio device

Sarah k Alawami
 

I believe I did such a thing, but since it was an accident I never took note on how to do it. Start by searchign under windows's sound settings and see if you can get further than I.

Take care

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. This is also our libsyn page as well.
For stuff we sell, mac training materials and  tutorials go here.
and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

Our telegram channel is also a good place for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch and mixer. Thanks Restream staff.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 6 Oct 2019, at 19:06, Roger Stewart wrote:

Someone told me a while back you can create a hardware profile so that all your devices can be permanently set the way you want them even if you plug and unplug something and then plug it in again. However, I've not been able to figure it out. Is there such a thing, and if so, how do you create a hardware profile? I checked under Hardware in Control Panel and didn't find such a thing. Maybe that person was wrong, but if it can be done, that would be great.
Roger










On 10/6/2019 7:20 PM, Luke wrote:
OK then. Stupid question for you. If I bought A USB headset or headphones then I could get NVDA audio through the headset or headphones and Computer audio through computer speakers? 

On Oct 6, 2019, at 7:11 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

You are using the same sound card if the headphones are not USB headphones but plug into a standard headphone jack.
 
There is no practical way to solve your problem if you want to use these headphones, except to get an external USB soundcard. 
 
You can buy very inexpensive USB soundcards.  Then, you would need to direct whatever audio you want to play through whichever sound card you want.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Luke
Sent: Sunday, October 06, 2019 5:27 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Directing NVDA output to a particular audio device

I don’t know if this makes a difference but my headphones or not USB. They use the headphone jack on the computer  

On Oct 6, 2019, at 1:52 PM, Robert Doc Wright godfearer <godfearer@...> wrote:

As long as you keep plugging and unplugging the headset you are going to have this problem. When you plug in a USB headset it becomes the new default device. When you unplug it the system falls back to the internal default speaker.

 

******If we can't look at ourselves, and ask, why?  then where does the learning start?***     

 

From: Luke
Sent: Sunday, October 6, 2019 11:33 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Directing NVDA output to a particular audio device

 

Hi! I followed Kerryn’s steps and it didn’t work for me. Both The computer and NVDA audio was coming through the headphones. I think I want to do what Sile wants to do. I want NVDA to come through my headphones only when they are plugged in the headphone jack and the Computer audio for example music and game sounds to come out the computer speakers. Maybe you need 2 sound cards for that? Which I don’t know how many I have and don’t know how you can tell.

 

> On Oct 3, 2019, at 7:43 PM, Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io <k_gunness@...> wrote:

>

> sile

>

> 1. press control NVDA key and s to open synth box

> 2. tab once to a combo box with options

> 3. use arro keys to choose your option, for example u s b head phones

> 4 tab to ok button and press enter

>

> NVDA should be heard in the option you picked

>

> you're done

>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Sile via Groups.Io" <somodhrain@...>

> To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>

> Sent: Thursday, October 3, 2019 7:32 PM

> Subject: [nvda] Directing NVDA output to a particular audio device

>

>

>> Hello

>>

>>

>> I know I have seen a thread about this, but I can't recall what the name of the thread is so couldn't find it in the list archive.

>>

>>

>> I want to be able to set the audio device that NVDA output goes to so that I can separate it from my main headphone output for presentations.

>>

>>

>> --Sile

>>

>>

>>

>

>

>

>

 

 

 


locked Re: music production with NVDA

Sarah k Alawami
 

Oh don't worry I'm used to it. In fact I can if I need to fire back with as much or more venom if i have to. Excuse typos. I have keys falling off of my keyboard. As a teacher I've ben yelled at worse, a lot worse. Lol! I've also done worse yelling especially if a student never practices for a month. Woops, so yeah don't worry about it.

Blessings

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. This is also our libsyn page as well.
For stuff we sell, mac training materials and  tutorials go here.
and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

Our telegram channel is also a good place for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch and mixer. Thanks Restream staff.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 6 Oct 2019, at 16:29, molly the blind tech lover wrote:

Actually I was the one who made that statement.

I understand your point. Some questions are easier to answer by doing a google search.  

Also, Sorry Sarah, for yelling at you. It was wrong of me, when you were just trying to be helpful, and I was not being respectful.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Sunday, October 6, 2019 6:37 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] music production with NVDA

 

On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 06:25 PM, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:

I think telling someone to just google it defeats the purpose of a mailing list.

That depends entirely on what, exactly, is being asked.   This group (and many others like it) has hundreds of members, and each and every message is an imposition on those other members' time.

There are all sorts of questions where it takes longer to type the message for the list than it would to do a web search, and I'm talking for commonly asked questions.  Asking a question on a group like this along the lines of, "What's the keyboard shortcut in MS-Word to make text bold?," deserves a, "Why on earth did you not do a search for this?"  [It would also be off-topic, but I'm trying to give an illustration of the sort of question where irritation is a perfectly valid reaction when the answer can be found faster, and more easily, without asking it on a mailing list.]

There's also the "who's asking" factor, too.  Someone who's a newbie (to anything) can and should get a lot more slack than those who are known to have a significant knowledge base and level of sophistication.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1903, Build 18362  

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

 

 

Re: Directing NVDA output to a particular audio device

Sarah k Alawami
 

That probably would make a diffference. If yoru head phones are not usb but wired you should not face any issues.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. This is also our libsyn page as well.
For stuff we sell, mac training materials and  tutorials go here.
and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

Our telegram channel is also a good place for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch and mixer. Thanks Restream staff.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 6 Oct 2019, at 15:27, Luke wrote:

I don’t know if this makes a difference but my headphones or not USB. They use the headphone jack on the computer  

On Oct 6, 2019, at 1:52 PM, Robert Doc Wright godfearer <godfearer@...> wrote:

As long as you keep plugging and unplugging the headset you are going to have this problem. When you plug in a USB headset it becomes the new default device. When you unplug it the system falls back to the internal default speaker.

 

******If we can't look at ourselves, and ask, why?  then where does the learning start?***     

 

From: Luke
Sent: Sunday, October 6, 2019 11:33 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Directing NVDA output to a particular audio device

 

Hi! I followed Kerryn’s steps and it didn’t work for me. Both The computer and NVDA audio was coming through the headphones. I think I want to do what Sile wants to do. I want NVDA to come through my headphones only when they are plugged in the headphone jack and the Computer audio for example music and game sounds to come out the computer speakers. Maybe you need 2 sound cards for that? Which I don’t know how many I have and don’t know how you can tell.

 

> On Oct 3, 2019, at 7:43 PM, Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io <k_gunness@...> wrote:

>

> sile

>

> 1. press control NVDA key and s to open synth box

> 2. tab once to a combo box with options

> 3. use arro keys to choose your option, for example u s b head phones

> 4 tab to ok button and press enter

>

> NVDA should be heard in the option you picked

>

> you're done

>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Sile via Groups.Io" <somodhrain@...>

> To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>

> Sent: Thursday, October 3, 2019 7:32 PM

> Subject: [nvda] Directing NVDA output to a particular audio device

>

>

>> Hello

>>

>>

>> I know I have seen a thread about this, but I can't recall what the name of the thread is so couldn't find it in the list archive.

>>

>>

>> I want to be able to set the audio device that NVDA output goes to so that I can separate it from my main headphone output for presentations.

>>

>>

>> --Sile

>>

>>

>>

>

>

>

>

 

 

 

locked Re: music production with NVDA

Sarah k Alawami
 

And frankly that is the best way to learn. I learn sound forge on my own, office 2009 o was it 2010 on my own as my teacher didn't know what he was doing, I taught him system access because jaws went barf. So yeah. I did mean post the question on rwp but we do not do much hand holding there as there are tools there for you to get your info from. They are in the footer of every single message, which reminds me I need to get the latest osara update from there.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. This is also our libsyn page as well.
For stuff we sell, mac training materials and  tutorials go here.
and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

Our telegram channel is also a good place for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch and mixer. Thanks Restream staff.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 6 Oct 2019, at 15:25, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:

That’s right, Molly. I had a teacher who was like that years ago when I was going to the program called the regional occupation program. She would just hand us the tapes with lessons and would tell us to not ask for help even if we got stuck on something. Eventually it got to the point where I didn’t ask for help anymore even if I really got stuck on something. I did everything myself even if it caused me to have headaches from trying so hard.

 

Rosemarie

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: molly the blind tech lover
Sent: Sunday, October 6, 2019 3:13 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] music production with NVDA

 

I think telling someone to just google it defeats the purpose of a mailing list.  what would be the point of asking questions if all someone is told to look up the answer? It  benefits no one

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rosemarie Chavarria
Sent: Sunday, October 6, 2019 6:03 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] music production with NVDA

 

Amen, Orlando. One of these days she’ll need help with something and I wonder how she’ll feel if somebody else tells her something like “look upp the answer for yourself” without giving her the tools to search. If a question is asked repeatedly, then that’s a different story.

 

Rosemarie

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Orlando Enrique Fiol via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, October 6, 2019 2:48 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] music production with NVDA

 

At 04:14 PM 10/5/2019, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

>We are here to help one another, yes, however just like the franchise

>I'm in they do not hand hold, not all the time. You are after week 2 on

>your own. So yeah on the reaper list we will hold your  hand and give

>you the tools but after that we don't hand hold if you are asking basic

>questions such as How do I go from track 1 to track two. We gave you the

>tools,  now use them.

 

It would be easier not to respond to such people with elementary

questions than make them feel stupid for asking. We've talked about

this on other lists and you just don't get it. Everyone knows they

can Google something; responding to their requests telling them to

Google contributes absolutely nothing; I wish you'd stop doing that.

 

 

Orlando Enrique Fiol

Ph.D. in Music Theory

University of Pennsylvania: November, 2018

Professional Pianist/Keyboardist, Percussionist, Arranger, Performer

and Pedagogue

Home: (980) 585-1516

Mobile: (267) 971-7090

Email: ofiol@...        

 

 

 

 

 

Apologies to a Member

Nimer Jaber
 

Hello NVDA List,

I am writing to all of you to publicly apologize to a list member. Last week, I called out Sarah Alawami for an email which she had written to another list member about searching for a specific keyword in order to elicit specific search results. While I still disagree with Sarah about her hand-holding comment, her response by providing direct information about what a user could do to learn more information on a topic was inline with what the purpose of this list is. While I do not want us to be communicating to users that they should simply Google it without providing additional information, Sarah did provide information on exactly what to search for. I misread your message, and I am sorry that I reacted before understanding your message fully.

Thanks, and here's hoping all of you are well.

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

The message above is intended for the recipient to whom it was
addressed. If you believe that you are not the intended recipient,
please notify me via reply email and destroy all copies of this
correspondence. Action taken as a result of this email or its contents
by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) may result in civil or
criminal charges. I have checked this email and all corresponding
attachments for security threats. However, security of your machine is
up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

To find out about a free and versatile screen reader for windows XP
and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter for the latest technology news.

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (970) (393-4481) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly. Thank
you, and have a great day!

Re: Directing NVDA output to a particular audio device

 

Hmmm this is from win7 days, you can.

The disadvantage is that on every boot you will have to select that profile and until you do you have no speech its not worth it.



On 7/10/2019 3:06 pm, Roger Stewart wrote:
Someone told me a while back you can create a hardware profile so that all your devices can be permanently set the way you want them even if you plug and unplug something and then plug it in again. However, I've not been able to figure it out. Is there such a thing, and if so, how do you create a hardware profile? I checked under Hardware in Control Panel and didn't find such a thing. Maybe that person was wrong, but if it can be done, that would be great.
Roger










On 10/6/2019 7:20 PM, Luke wrote:
OK then. Stupid question for you. If I bought A USB headset or headphones then I could get NVDA audio through the headset or headphones and Computer audio through computer speakers? 

On Oct 6, 2019, at 7:11 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

You are using the same sound card if the headphones are not USB headphones but plug into a standard headphone jack.
 
There is no practical way to solve your problem if you want to use these headphones, except to get an external USB soundcard. 
 
You can buy very inexpensive USB soundcards.  Then, you would need to direct whatever audio you want to play through whichever sound card you want.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Luke
Sent: Sunday, October 06, 2019 5:27 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Directing NVDA output to a particular audio device

I don’t know if this makes a difference but my headphones or not USB. They use the headphone jack on the computer  

On Oct 6, 2019, at 1:52 PM, Robert Doc Wright godfearer <godfearer@...> wrote:

As long as you keep plugging and unplugging the headset you are going to have this problem. When you plug in a USB headset it becomes the new default device. When you unplug it the system falls back to the internal default speaker.

 

******If we can't look at ourselves, and ask, why?  then where does the learning start?***     

 

From: Luke
Sent: Sunday, October 6, 2019 11:33 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Directing NVDA output to a particular audio device

 

Hi! I followed Kerryn’s steps and it didn’t work for me. Both The computer and NVDA audio was coming through the headphones. I think I want to do what Sile wants to do. I want NVDA to come through my headphones only when they are plugged in the headphone jack and the Computer audio for example music and game sounds to come out the computer speakers. Maybe you need 2 sound cards for that? Which I don’t know how many I have and don’t know how you can tell.

 

> On Oct 3, 2019, at 7:43 PM, Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io <k_gunness@...> wrote:

>

> sile

>

> 1. press control NVDA key and s to open synth box

> 2. tab once to a combo box with options

> 3. use arro keys to choose your option, for example u s b head phones

> 4 tab to ok button and press enter

>

> NVDA should be heard in the option you picked

>

> you're done

>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Sile via Groups.Io" <somodhrain@...>

> To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>

> Sent: Thursday, October 3, 2019 7:32 PM

> Subject: [nvda] Directing NVDA output to a particular audio device

>

>

>> Hello

>>

>>

>> I know I have seen a thread about this, but I can't recall what the name of the thread is so couldn't find it in the list archive.

>>

>>

>> I want to be able to set the audio device that NVDA output goes to so that I can separate it from my main headphone output for presentations.

>>

>>

>> --Sile

>>

>>

>>

>

>

>

>

 

 

 


Re: Directing NVDA output to a particular audio device

Roger Stewart
 

Someone told me a while back you can create a hardware profile so that all your devices can be permanently set the way you want them even if you plug and unplug something and then plug it in again. However, I've not been able to figure it out. Is there such a thing, and if so, how do you create a hardware profile? I checked under Hardware in Control Panel and didn't find such a thing. Maybe that person was wrong, but if it can be done, that would be great.
Roger










On 10/6/2019 7:20 PM, Luke wrote:
OK then. Stupid question for you. If I bought A USB headset or headphones then I could get NVDA audio through the headset or headphones and Computer audio through computer speakers? 

On Oct 6, 2019, at 7:11 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

You are using the same sound card if the headphones are not USB headphones but plug into a standard headphone jack.
 
There is no practical way to solve your problem if you want to use these headphones, except to get an external USB soundcard. 
 
You can buy very inexpensive USB soundcards.  Then, you would need to direct whatever audio you want to play through whichever sound card you want.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Luke
Sent: Sunday, October 06, 2019 5:27 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Directing NVDA output to a particular audio device

I don’t know if this makes a difference but my headphones or not USB. They use the headphone jack on the computer  

On Oct 6, 2019, at 1:52 PM, Robert Doc Wright godfearer <godfearer@...> wrote:

As long as you keep plugging and unplugging the headset you are going to have this problem. When you plug in a USB headset it becomes the new default device. When you unplug it the system falls back to the internal default speaker.

 

******If we can't look at ourselves, and ask, why?  then where does the learning start?***     

 

From: Luke
Sent: Sunday, October 6, 2019 11:33 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Directing NVDA output to a particular audio device

 

Hi! I followed Kerryn’s steps and it didn’t work for me. Both The computer and NVDA audio was coming through the headphones. I think I want to do what Sile wants to do. I want NVDA to come through my headphones only when they are plugged in the headphone jack and the Computer audio for example music and game sounds to come out the computer speakers. Maybe you need 2 sound cards for that? Which I don’t know how many I have and don’t know how you can tell.

 

> On Oct 3, 2019, at 7:43 PM, Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io <k_gunness@...> wrote:

>

> sile

>

> 1. press control NVDA key and s to open synth box

> 2. tab once to a combo box with options

> 3. use arro keys to choose your option, for example u s b head phones

> 4 tab to ok button and press enter

>

> NVDA should be heard in the option you picked

>

> you're done

>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Sile via Groups.Io" <somodhrain@...>

> To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>

> Sent: Thursday, October 3, 2019 7:32 PM

> Subject: [nvda] Directing NVDA output to a particular audio device

>

>

>> Hello

>>

>>

>> I know I have seen a thread about this, but I can't recall what the name of the thread is so couldn't find it in the list archive.

>>

>>

>> I want to be able to set the audio device that NVDA output goes to so that I can separate it from my main headphone output for presentations.

>>

>>

>> --Sile

>>

>>

>>

>

>

>

>